Speaker 1: You are now listening to the Someone's Favorite Productions podcast network.
Speaker 2: Okay, now for the lightning.
Speaker 3: Round I'm so good at lightning rounds. That's from Friends, It's my favorite show.
Speaker 2: Twenty seconds on the Clock starts. Now who is the captain of the USS Enterprise?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Crap, is it Captain Stubing? No Morgan Crunch. Next question, which superhero is Tony Stark? Stark?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 2: Did Game of Thrones have superheroes? I only watch two episodes? What planet where Luke and Leah born on Planet Fitness?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 2: Time's up?
Speaker 6: Sorry?
Speaker 2: And now a word from our sponsor.
Speaker 3: Hey, everybody, Mandy Kaplan here. Please check out my podcast Make Me a Nerd, where each week an incredible guest tries to baptize this mainstream mom into the world of sci fi, fantasy and all things nerdy. Available wherever you podcast.
Speaker 2: That's our show, folks. Wait, wait, wait, I just thought of it.
Speaker 3: Had me Amidala gave birth to her twins Luke and Leah on Poulus Masa.
Speaker 2: No, that's dumb?
Speaker 6: Is it?
Speaker 2: Plan of Hollywood?
Speaker 6: Hello there, and welcome back.
Speaker 2: What is this place?
Speaker 6: Is connected?
Speaker 2: Disconnected?
Speaker 6: It's connected?
Speaker 1: Disconnected, disconnected, disconnected disconnected, disconnected.
Speaker 3: Disconnected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected.
Speaker 6: I'm starting to feel disconnected the number that has been disconnected. Hey y'all, and welcome to Reconnected another Thursday, here live and uh here with one of the big guns. We got mister Brian sour from Just the Discs.
Speaker 7: Buddy man, you always got embarrass.
Speaker 6: Me and Barry. I mean, let's let's be honest in this space. You are a genuine celebrity. I mean, oh my gosh, people adore you, people of you, people want to take pictures with you, and from Beverly, like, what is that life? That's amazing.
Speaker 7: I mean it's a very localized celebrity. If it's a celebrity at all. You know, if you're if you're at the New Beverly, if you're at the Vista, maybe uh it might happen, but otherwise, you know, it's not a thing. So but that's very kind. I appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Or if you like me, you just invite Brian out to Korean barbecue and you have to take the picture there.
Speaker 7: That works too, Yeah, yeah, I have I have a story about that later when we get into what we've been watching.
Speaker 6: Interesting, all right, I'm I'm genuinely stoked to here. You obviously host the Pure Cinema Cup podcast. You are the face, the voice, the name behind just the discs. You have been doing a lot of screenings around the Los Angeles area. I have been doing what you can to to hold up the world of cinema on your shoulders. How's everything be going.
Speaker 7: Everything's everything's going pretty good. It's it has been. I was just talking to you before we got live here, and it's it's been an interesting year because it's been about a year since I was on and folks very sweet, yeah, and it's been a lot has happened, i think for both of us certainly, And we're going to talk about some of the stuff that's been going on with you which people know about and which I'm very excited about. Congrats on antenna and I can't wait. But personally, just real quickly before when I spoke to you last year, I was married and I am not married now, and it's a big difference. And that's okay. You know, it's been it was an amicable thing. It was just something that it was. It was just time for it to happen. But so I'm in a different space. If you've been watching my channel, you know, this is my apartment. This is not my house, and you know, I things are, things are pretty good. I have a girlfriend and she's great, and so I spent a lot of time with her, a lot of time watching movies with her. In fact, some of the movies I might talk about if we talk about recent watches, would the things we've watched and stuff like that. But yeah, it's been in terms of a personal shift, it's probably been one of the biggest in recent memory in my life. But for the for the good ultimately, you know.
Speaker 6: So how about some pure cinema highlights from this last year. It would have been some of the big standout moments for you.
Speaker 7: I'd see pure cinema. I mean, it's it's just an ongoing thing. We had a nice screening of Zero Effect as part of the American Cinema Tech Friend of the Fast series. Uh, that was really neat. I know that we had some folks in the crowd there that had never seen that one before and it went over well. And you know, here's fingers cross, He's open for a Blu ray. That'd be great for that. But I'm trying to think I don't know. We you know, we did our kup Brick episodes. Those were well received. We had Edgar Wright.
Speaker 6: On the show, just a little guy named Edgar. Right.
Speaker 7: He's been I gotta say, not to be whatever, but he's been really sweet about enjoying the show, Like, you know, sent me a message saying how much you like the Kubrick episodes and stuff just stuff like that. You're just like, what is happening? Yeah, and that. So that's been really nice. The Kuprick I think was the one of the highlights. The Kubrick double episode we did. Got a lot of nice feedback and it was a lot of work but worth it. And yeah, I mean we're just we're just we just keep going, you know, we just keep going, you know, thinking about new episodes, and that is a lot of what helps me put my movie watching focus onto things and not get scattered. You know. I like having stuff to do and stuff to research.
Speaker 6: I I have not thought about in a long time. What is this year seven of pure cinema.
Speaker 7: Actually we're gonna be We're gonna be starting into nine. Oh Jesus twenty seventeen, February twenty seventeen, So it'll be gosh, nine years in February.
Speaker 6: Twenty eighteen. Yeah, that's that's insanity.
Speaker 7: Yeah, nuts, And we're excited about ten years. We got to come up with something good for that. I don't know what we're gonna do, but but yeah, that's a long time. It's a long time. You realize that, like, you know, if there's younger people that listen. Like one of the things that got me, I think it was last year, maybe it was twenty twenty four. We had a kid come up to me at the NEWBEV and he was talking about how he'd been listening since he was in high school or something, and you think about nine years, you're like, well, that's you know, two entire high school classes went through. You know, if they not to say that young people are listening to the show, because it's a lot of older people, but there are some younger folks that listen, And it's crazy to think nine years is a really long time for a lot of people and younger you know, this is true.
Speaker 6: I've been doing that myself lately. It's really interesting when you're when you're like gauging timeframes in terms of years, the number doesn't always sound big, but I started thinking about it, I was like, wait, my oldest was six years old when I started disconnected. He's literally about to go in to middle school. Like that is so much of his adolescent life. That's just been Oh, my dad's on YouTube and now like my youngest is my youngest is saying that he wants to make movies when he's older. Now my oldest is writing essays about paranormal activity and making fun short films on his Google Chrome.
Speaker 7: For some Oh my gosh, that's so cool.
Speaker 6: The making paranormal activity. I love that, and I mean, none of this would have happened. I don't think if I wasn't doing stuff in front of a camera. So it's crazy that they've been inspired that way. But man, I love it.
Speaker 7: That is so cool. Man, I'm so happy for you. That's great.
Speaker 6: So other than pure cinema screenings, what are some of the other films that you've shown around town and tell people about the theaters that you show them at. I think that's the most interesting thing because you and I take it for granted, but there's a lot of places that don't have REP screens like you have access to it all.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, it's it's a pretty great setup in LA right now in terms of rep in general, but a lot of my microcinemas. The only public screening we did last year that I'm remembering is the Zero Effect, But I did do two private screenings at Whammy, which is probably my favorite microcinema in town. There's a lot of good ones, though, and there's several that I haven't even been to. There's like a place called the Eastwood that I gotta go check out still, and there's a bunch that I still need to try. But Whammy is literally about an a ten minute walk from my apartment right now, and great little venue. If folks don't know, it's it's like a video They sell videos, vhs, their analog Whammy Analog Media. Yeah, so it's like laser discs and vhs, and they definitely keep an eye on things that are often less available on disc, you know. I can sense that when you go in there, You're like, oh, there's a lot of stuff here that's not really on disc. And so Eric, one of the guys there, nice guy, is aware of that stuff. So it's neat to go in there and look around. But they have a really nice microcinema with a few rows of theater seats, and then they can they have a lot of padded seats they can put in, so I can set about forty five. And I did two screenings there last year. One was for my birthday and I showed I'll shoot a movie called Thief, but not the Michael Man. This is a nineteen seventy one TV movie with Oh Man, I'm blanking on everything. Actually, I have it right back here, I hold on, there we go, Richard Krenna, That's what I was trying to think of. Richard Kreanna, Andy, Andreie Dickinson, Cameron Mitchell. I had a VHS so that we played that off VHS, and then I got a file of Murder by Natural Causes, which is a really good seventies TV movie with hal Oolbrook, Barry Bostwick and Katherine Ross. Kind of a death trapp Ye kind of thing, but a whole lot of fun. So I did that one and it was so much fun, and Wammy is so affordable in terms of their rentals that I did another one in December and I showed Cold Blooded, which to date, I think only has this this media book release. This is with Jason Priestley and yeah.
Speaker 6: I remember your pickup video of this got that's so specific. It was a German release that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I just this one's been I've been a fan of this one for I don't know, thirty years. It's it's one that came out in ninety five, I think, and my friend that I was working with found it and just a really interesting hitman dramedy. Peter Riegert is the other one. Well, Robert los is in it, Michael J. Fox is it. It's a really a movie that sort of disappeared in a way, and that was a fun one to show. And then I showed Midnight Offerings, which is another TV movie with Melissa su Anderson. Like I would imagine, the pitch was something like if what if there were two carries? And it's it's a lot of fun.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Brian is saying cold Blooded has a Japanese laser disc.
Speaker 7: Very nice, very nice. Yeah, that's very cool. It just needs something else, so I'm assuming there's some issue holding it up somewhere, but I'd love to see another release of it. But yeah, those were the main screenings I think I did last year. Those are a lot of fun, but Whammy is the best. If you come to La. Definitely check out Whammy. It's it's a blast.
Speaker 6: I was meaning the last time I was there to go to Whammy, and in fact I was. I set up an interview with the owner of Whammy to be able to shoot in Whammy, but we just we literally ran out of time so I couldn't do it. But everybody seems to love those guys. I dying to go visit the next time I'm down there, for sure.
Speaker 7: Yeah it is. And like I said, check in with them about rates for rental. If you wanna microcinema space to screen something. Yeah, that's cool. It's it does have a multiple cover art kind of thing for that media book. I almost want to get the other one too.
Speaker 6: I love the German media books, but they're like, you know what, we're doing five covers. If you want all of them, get it. And yeah, it's it's stoked. Okay, let's see what else tonight. After announcements, we're gonna be talking about underrated releases. From twenty twenty five underrated physical media releases, Brian has about eighty four to share. I've got like twenty something like that that I feel like not enough people are talking about. I've got a couple that I don't like. I don't understand how nobody nominated them for the Shelf Shock Freebind Awards this year because they're they're incredible. So we'll get deep into those. But let's go into some pickups. What have you been buying lately?
Speaker 7: Okay, there's a lot here, but I'll go quickly. Let's see. Le's start with I mean, we'll start with this, Goodbye Columbus. This is the fun say Editions New Blu Ray. I've been a fan of this one for a long time. I haven't even had a chance to crack it yet. I'm excited to. But has a commentary by my pal Bill Ackerman. New Vineer interview with the composer on stage conversation with Richard Benjamin and a bunch of the other folks involved, including Ali McGraw and Larry Pearce. I just I like this movie a lot. It's sort of a coming of age, but like it's a like college age type thing where where you have Richard Benjamin kind of falling for Ali McGraw and she's kind of out of his league. She's kind of he's like a working class Jewish guy, and she's you know, upper class kind of. Oh that's very nice, thank you, and they just sort of end up connecting. But it's a little bittersweet. It's just a really great movie that I'm I'm very excited that John got this and very excited to check that one out.
Speaker 6: Shout out to Herzburg. We both love Hersburg a lot.
Speaker 7: I was just talking to him on the phone today, you know. Yeah, he and I have a lot to talk about lately, just personally and stuff like that, so we talk quite a bit. I just got this, uh in the Maddle like a dead Man four K from Criterion. Uh. I'm a Jarmish head from way back, and this is really exciting. I'm very excited to see this. Uh in four K. Black and white always really gets me going in four K. So this is a beautiful movie and funny and you know, great score and yeah, I'm very much looking forward to checking that one out again. I don't want to take forever on this stuff, but.
Speaker 6: That's why you're here.
Speaker 7: Uh So this just literally showed up today. This is the Yeah, this one's very exciting. They did correct the little error, so I think this is one I'm gonna keep. You know. I had the Knot and the Kinot was good, but none of the Juggler from Transmission and Transmission, by the way, I mean talk about you know, batting a thousand every single one. I can't wait for the stunt Man, I can't wait for Cutter's Way. These are really really exciting. Four K is coming from from fran and Transmission, and I just, yeah, this is a really cool sub label. It's become actually one of my favorite sub labels, like right out of the gate and I haven't even opened this, but I've seen people open this thing up. And there's just so much good stuff in here. Yeah, I don't know which I'm not even you know, we can get into, not get into or not. How much I feel about extra stuff. I don't need it. I don't mind it, but I don't go out of my way to get it. In this case, it was just what comes with it. But but yeah, very very excited about Night of the Juggler on four K corrected. You know, let's see here, this one would almost be on my list. Yeah, this is Motorcycle, which one of the I feel like, you know, the russ Meyer Severn stuff definitely got a general buzz, but I don't know this one in particular, I hadn't seen and so checking it out for the first time four K was really great because I'm I'm determining that Russ Meyer is While I love him as a filmmaker, I think I love his early stuff a little more. I'm you know, the faster this is. I want to say, this is the same year as Fast Faster Pussycat. Yeah, it's like they're bout sixty four. I think this comes out right before Faster Pussycat and it's almost like this is a I've seen it said that this is like a dry run for a Faster Posty Cat, except it's like a gender flip. So you have a bunch of guys, which is a little creepier, a little harder to watch. But there is a certain charm to his filmmaking, and there's this is very soft core, so there's no nudity or anything in this one. Uh, but it's got Alex Rocco in it, which is maybe one of the high more high profile actors he's ever worked with, and there's some bizarre stuff with him. But yeah, I definitely was I do have you heard I mean, I don't know that you can say, but for what you can say, have you heard if they're working on more or if it's still up in the air.
Speaker 6: Yes, we can now because they've said it publicly. I have a podcast episode for the new year. They were teasing because this is the what is this the twentieth anniversary of seven? I think in twenty two.
Speaker 7: Oh my gosh, that's amazing.
Speaker 6: So they made a big deal on their podcast and they said, yes, we can confirm now that finally more russ Meyer is coming. That first deal was only the five titles, so it's not like they were holding them back. After those came out and they did well, they went back to the well and they were able to get more. So it is exciting.
Speaker 7: No, I'm very excited to see what else they have. And I just love that that. I think David is a great collaborator for this, like absolutely, you know, so like I just think Severn and russ Meyer that to me, like I could really couldn't say there's another label that I don't know. I'm just really happy for him. I think it's a big deal and it's exciting.
Speaker 6: So I think they've definitely like that that's the right choice. They came together, just those two brands working together makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 7: Absolutely. I just got this. This is the via vision four K of John Carpenter's Vampires.
Speaker 6: Nice.
Speaker 7: This has already got a shout scream those Yes, yeah, that's what I thought. So I'm assuming this is basically the same, although it looks like maybe there's a new video essay on here.
Speaker 6: That and is there a booklet in that one too? I think the book Yeah, there's a booklet.
Speaker 7: And the Troy Horworth commentary is that that's says twenty twenty five. Did they both come out in twenty twenty five?
Speaker 6: I think so?
Speaker 7: Okay, so maybe that commentary's there too. But anyway, I like this one. Elrick and I joke about this movie all the time. Gott Wood Padre is just something we like this. Whatever this comes up, we can't help but quote that line in the movie. It's just endlessly enjoyable. See here. Okay, let's just do Okay, So I've got a bunch from the last This is basically from the Vinegar Syndrome sale. But I haven't opened these, so I'll just flip through these really fast, just because I know it's old news at this point. But I picked up Blue City. I don't know why this one. It's like every time I watch it, I'm like, this isn't as good as I want it to be, right, but I still find it really entertaining. And I love the idea of Judd Nelson. Is this guy who comes into town and just starts messing with people, just starts tearing stuff up and making a nuisance of himself and something about that. Even though you can tell like this isn't this is not a good idea, this is going to go bad, it's still kind of fun. And the fact that Ali Sheety's in it, I don't know, it's I think there are some people out there that would dig it and I don't know why. But the Olive Blu ray was not enough. I'm like, I need a special edition of Blues City for whatever reason. I don't know. Okay, Time Crimes, I got the four K. I mean this is great. This is great. I mean, I'm such a huge fan of this. I love that it has I think The Umbrella had this too, the Chronological not that I want to watch that, but like, right, there's there's a lot of good stuff on here, but this is just I'm a big time bounce time travel movie guy. And this is in recent memory. This is one of the best.
Speaker 6: I think it's a good one.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, really really nice.
Speaker 6: Which was a great filmmaker overall.
Speaker 7: Yeah, definitely. I I like his stuff. I I would love to see him do more like that. I don't know why I picked up Iceed the Degaza. I this is what I've seen, but like and I remember some of the kills in it, but I just was kind of feeling like a goofy slasher and it was I think it was one of the it was like at least fifty percent off.
Speaker 6: It was.
Speaker 7: It was a good deal, so I had to snag that. The Strange Affair. This one I just have heard decent things about, but I've never seen it. Directed by David Green, who I think did he do I stopped, I start counting. Maybe I want to say he's the I start counting guy. Yeah, And I think he did this before that. And this has Michael Yorke in it. Detective Sergeant Pears is obsessed with taking down a local kingpin Quince.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I don't know. This is just one of those movies that I'm like, I don't know what this is, but it's in a spot in terms of time and cast where I'm like, this could be interesting as a potential discovery. So yeah, so I snagged Strange Affair. I got suckered by Garbage Field Kids. I don't know why I felt the need to get this. It's a disgusting movie. It's a movie. But and I always joke with my boss because my boss I work for a movie marketing company, and my boss worked for Fox at the time this came out. I want to say, this is like the first movie he ever worked on. He did marketing for it back in the day, and I just told him, like super nerd in one of our staff mediums, I'm like, hey, you know that Garish Pail Kids is coming out on four K. I think he was amused momentarily anyway, But yeah, I mean, it's just one of those movies that's so uniquely like no other movie that I just I just couldn't not get it. I don't know four K, Yeah, we'll see. I finally grabbed Joy of Sex just the standard cinematograph. I mean, I do love Martha Coolidge. I know there's some people who just hate this movie, like hate it, And I gotta say I don't know. I think it's I think it's all right personally, but you know, I get it. Everybody's not going to be a fan. Another one, I haven't seen female Perversions Snag the standard of that. I've heard good things about it, but I don't I never did see it, So that's another possible discovery. And then this one I have seen, actually saw for the first time last year. This is the last of the Red Hot Lovers, which is really fun really funny Alan Arkin and actually one of my favorite Sally Kellerman performances. She's like incredibly funny in this. Yeah, yeah, really really enjoyable stuff. And then just a few more here Thunderheart four.
Speaker 6: K nice just came out.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I've just been it's the right time that I'm ready to revisit this, especially after when we talk when we if we talk about recent watches, there's a recent watch with Valcolmer that ties into me being excited about rewatching this. But it's been a long time since I've seen this, and I remember liking it, but I just it's been so long that it's like it's a little fuzzy at this point. And then just a couple of Warner archives that I'm really excited about one is called On Borrowed Time.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 7: This is a really great, like classic film with Lionel Barrymore where it's like a fable. It's kind of like one of those kind of overlease maybe overlease sentimental movies. So it might turn some people off. But the idea is that he tricks Death into getting caught in a tree and that's a whole mythology, and then Death is unable to kill anybody during that time and he eventually they have to have some kind of reconciliation. But how it gets there it feels like very capra ask a little bit but slightly. I don't know. I can't quite quantify it. But I'm a big, big fan of this one. And it was one of the first, if I remember, it was one of the first Warner Archive DDDs that got released, and it was one that a friend of mine at the video store back in the early two thousands was a huge fan of and I had never seen it, and then when I watched it, I was like, Okay, I get it. And the kid's pretty good at it. It's about him and his grandkid kind of. And then I love Melvin, which is Donald O'Connor from Singing in the Rain. It's like it's it's not Singing in the Rain by any stretch, but it's a fun Donald O'Connor as the star kind of movie, and he didn't have a lot of those. So there's some fun musical numbers, some fun dancing, and I just remember being kind of This is another one that came out on Warner Archive DVD that I discovered through that and being like, oh, that's cool, Like that's a lot of fun. So I love Melvin. And then lastly, I have a paper. I finally got my hands on, the Will Sloan Edward book, which I'm Edwood made in Hollywood, USA. Will Sloan for folks who don't know great cinephile, but has a show called Important Cinema Club, which I definitely recommend, and is a great writer like If You Fought, like one of my favorite follows on letterbox, Like he writes funny reviews, he can write insightful reviews. Just a good writer. And so I'm very excited to dig into this because I've only read that it's just really well written and he's just one of these guys who unabashedly loves Edwood, like not ironically, like really loves him. And so this has been on my want list for a long time and I finally got a gift card and I was like, I'm gonna get me some ed Wood. So I did. That's all I got. Sorry, that was a lot, but.
Speaker 6: That's why we're here. Buddy, he will Sloan and Justin just so good together. Anybody that's not just the clue you absolutely need to Yeah, definitely, Brian. Inquiring minds want to know. Karina in the chat says do you buy most of your stuff or do you get a lot of it for free because you're famous now.
Speaker 7: It's I want to say, it's probably like sixty forty buy to receive something like that. So I do get some stuff, but not not all of it. I'm definitely still buying quite a bit. I'm actually this is I mean, like this is a lot, but this is We're talking about like month's worth here, So this isn't like stuff I got like last week. I just had stacks of stuff that I haven't gotten to yet, so I'm like, well just bring these on. But yeah, I do get some stuff sent for the channel and stuff like that, And that's kind of surprising to me always that people keep sending stuff. But it's very sweet of them. So I try to do my best. But yeah, so it's about sixty forty something like that.
Speaker 6: It's not too bad. I hope one day to get about thirty six percent more and then maybe I can match yours.
Speaker 7: Believe that's ridiculous to me, dude. That's that's the thing that I don't get at all. The work to do in the space.
Speaker 6: No big deal. Speaking of buying things to proof that I bought this one. Last weekend, I was at with a couple of friends that had flown in physical media. Friends that I've known literally online for like seven or eight years. We met in person for the first time. Last weekend. I went and bought dope at a lower oh nice store. Dope, for some reason, is out of stock, like most of the time online, you can't find it a lot of the time, and when you do, it's always like seventeen dollars to thirty dollars. I don't know why. This movie is great, and I've never got the release, so I was glad to be able to get this friendly.
Speaker 7: Ten bucks so very nice.
Speaker 6: Just came out one of my favorites from last year. Everybody should see this movie. This is not at all what you're expecting going into this Roofman on four K with chanting Tata. This movie is genuinely great. Kirsten Dunst is incredible in this I loved this movie. I cannot wait to watch it again. I think it is genuinely like freaking fantastic.
Speaker 7: One of my really good friends I was hanging out with the other night told me, he's like, dude, I really think you'd like roof Man, and I so I gotta, I gotta check it out. I really got to check it out.
Speaker 6: It is way better than the trailers made it out to be, that's for sure.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's the thing. I mean, you never can tell now from marketing campaign what you're actually in for. And if you let that and I'm certainly you know, I've certainly done that where I've let a marketing campaign be like the thing that I go, h, I don't think I'm gonna see that, you know, And that's just you know, dumb.
Speaker 6: What are these people in marketing thinking, Brian, Like, if we ever knew.
Speaker 7: I mean, you know, I wish it was you know, there's there's a it's a complex thing. Let's just put it like that. It's a complex thing. But by the way, Dope is a really cool movie. Yeah, it's under it's slept on. I think it's been slept on since it came out.
Speaker 6: It is. Yeah, And honestly, that is a perfect example of marketing kind of doing a movie wrong, because the trailer for that movie is like, it's a fun teenager hangout movie. You watch that movie and it is for like six minutes, and then that movie goes batshit in a way that you are not ready for. And it is great, superbly acted, really great soundtrack, but the story is self. Adope is incredible, absolutely, no, really good.
Speaker 7: I'm glad you brought it up. Actually the movie that I just haven't thought about in a minute, but I really liked.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Uh, three from Lionsgate, one from Amazon because it's an Amazon exclusive, and then the other two straight from Lionsgate. The brand new fourteen oh eight to four book just came out. The I need to see this, this just arrived in the last day. Kind of surprised, Uh, debossed steel books they actually went into to make it kind of nice and wait.
Speaker 7: So that one's the Amazon exclusive, right.
Speaker 6: This is the Amazon exclusive. Yes, I'm ordering. This has the director's cut and the theatrical cut on four K and I think it was the theatrical cut was not even on the Blu ray, so this had both of them.
Speaker 7: Oh nice, And that's the one, by the way. I you know, when I got it, I texted Larry Karrazouskia, I'm like, director's cut are theatrical and he's like theatrical, you know, He's like, don't mess with it. Don't mess with that director's cut. The ending is different, and there are some there's a big difference in the ending if you haven't seen it. And this is one that I actually brought up on when we had to had to go right on the show. If you want to check it out. We it was when Running Man came out, and so we did Stephen King and fourteen o eight for me, is is still I think pretty underrated and underseening. Especially Wow, forty bucks is this? Forty bucks?
Speaker 6: Is that that is now the going rate for many of these steel books And don't forget before Best Buy close down Physical Media. Lions Gate steel books for twenty two to ninety nine Wow.
Speaker 7: All right, well, I gotta get it anyway, damn it because I really love this movie, all right. Good to know.
Speaker 6: Well, speaking of incredible cinema, they also just put out the four K of Cabin Fever in a steel book. And this is the Lenti art on the front of this I when you take the slipcover off, it is just the gore print on the front. I gotta say, I love this movie genuinely. I know if Eric is watching, she's gonna be cursing me, but I'd like Eli Roth directing this one. I gotta say, though, this whole Lenticular thing, it's the Lenticular itself isn't bad, but we are gluing this onto like barely better quality than a shout factory slipcover. We can be doing better than that. There's way better ways, way better ways to take care of this. No, I have never hated Kevin Feversid. I love that movie all right. Next from lions Gate, this is my last physical media pickup that's not book or paper related. Another one that this is what made me pull the trigger on a lions Gate order. They put out Mystery Team on Blu Ray and this movie is so damn incredible. Derek Comedy was a huge, huge influence on my early comedy stuff, and I do still think it's incredibly weird that we have a vestdra on video release of Mystery Team. But childish gambino Donald Glover, whatever you want to call him, has risen to stardom in a way that if you told him on the Mystery Team days that that was going to be happening, he'd probably believe you, because he's always been that confident, but he'd be stoked. Genuinely incredible movie, very very funny, I think too style comedy, but like maybe one of the best of the best.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I gotta say that one I've been chilling for since it came out, pretty much like I was able. I can't remember how I got to see an early I had a friend who's a screenwriter who for a brief period was like, we should do these little screenings at bars, and he got he got an early copy of it, and we watched it as a screening and I was like, this movie rule so hard, is so funny and so ridiculous, and I just have been such a fan. I've been waiting for that Blu Ray. Actually, I think I have one coming. I think I have my copy coming. But yeah, just everything Donald Glover. They're all funny, but everything Donald Glover's doing, especially in the beginning when when he goes to the neighbor's house and is just trying to be like a normal neighbor guy. He's like, aha, we're laughing, just like everything he's doing is hilarious. Yeah, forty one, Ay, just talking about the light bulbs. This ridiculous, stupid, I can't and hated you. Fuck the spread. It's still one of my favorite jokes in a movie like ever.
Speaker 6: Beyond that, if you are are into Misery Team, maybe you've never seen it before and you watch it for the first time, please go on YouTube and look up Derek Comedy and watch some of the stuff they still have out there. It's ridiculous. Some of the stuff that they have out there for free that you can see on YouTube from Derek Comedy is better than like what most comedians dream of doing. I love their stuff, all right. So A twenty four sent out their newest zine this is that copy here. They got a Marty Supreme little fold out poster in the middle of that one this month, and then of course right about the same time we got in the brand new Fangoria with Sam reim sin Hill on the cover of this one. But one thing I really wanted to call out tonight and I've got years ago on the channel, I did a video about these guys, Layered Butter. Yes, that is a real term. That is a weird name for a company. However, Layered Butter is an essentially an art focused popcor culture company. They have made their name by putting out I don't even know what you call them. They're not magazines. They're kind of art books, but there's also like articles dispersed in between. They're more like coffee table books. But they're not hardcover or anything like that. They are gorgeous, though, we're talking like full art spread from like big name artists that you can buy this a whole. It's basically like a high quality magazine, I'm gonna say. And they're not bad. They're like forty bucks and they only do two or three a year. Maybe they've kind of slowed down because of the pandemic. But before that they've done like seven I think they've done a Quentin Tarantino one, they've done a Wes Anderson one, They've done a few others that are like really stylistic individuals to inspire these and they over on their Patreon have started something called the Tiny Poster Club. You can sign up. I think the cheapest one is only five bucks. They might have a level that's at ten, and then they have their VIP which is fifteen and you can sign up and you get tiny posters sent to you every single month. This is commissioned artwork for Jurassic Park. And then here is one for sinners. And because of when I signed up, I was like a weird in between two months, so I got two within one week, so they just happened to show up at the same time. I love their artwork and I will genuinely use them. And also they are shaped to be postcards, so if you want to use them for something else, you got them in here, you can put them in a portfolio. I love the art that they choose, so I wanted to highlight it and layered butter.
Speaker 7: Check them out Layered butter popcorn.
Speaker 6: That was good. You watch a lot of stuff. What have you been watching?
Speaker 7: Okay, so this is sort of a curated list, but okay, so my girlfriend, she's in Portugal right now. She gets back Saturday, but her mom came to town. Her mom's like eighty four, the sweetest woman ever, and she was hanging out with us. So we were kind of just watching movies with her mom, and one night, her mom was totally down to watch Night Shift, so we rewatched Night Shift, which is one of my favorite eighties comedies of all time, still one of my favorite Ron Howard movies, and I just think one of the best Michael Keaton breakout kind of things. My girlfriend and I quote this movie all the time, so it's a classic. This this seemed like a timely watch rewatching The Insider, which is maybe my favorite Michaelman. Yeah, I think so. I think it's tough, but I just love this movie so much. And obviously with the stuff with I think it was CBS again happening, it was really seemed like, oh, let's watch The Insider again, and I still think it's amazing and please four K this motherfucker now, God damn it. And then so one of the things that my girlfriend and I are big mutual fans of is documentary. She's a big documentary person, so it's been really exciting to me to share some of my favorite docs with her. One of them is actually in my stacks over here that I'll talk about later because it's a great well, it's an exciting release for me from twenty twenty five. But the stuff that well, actually one of these actually has come out recently. But so I was showing her a bunch of docks that I love and one of my all time's favorites, his Hands on a Hard Body, which is only on DVD. But my god, this movie is just I mean, this is like American movie level good, you know, in terms of the characters that you meet, American movie level Vernon Florida level. I gotta show a vern in Florida by the way too, But yeah, this one. It's just about a contest in a truck dealership in Texas where a bunch of people put their hands on a truck and the last person to take their hands off wins the truck. And the people that are involved in this contest are all characters and all entertaining. And this movie is just I absolutely love it. I was saying, I was thinking, like it'd be great to get a Blu ray of it. Although it's shot I think on like mini DV maybe yeah, but I know this is a big Quentin Tarantino favorite, like it's maybe one of his favorite docs. I've heard, and they played a thirty five print of it at the NUBEV and part of me who is like, maybe that's not your source, but it'd be great, like like they did with the you know, the Sean Baker, you know, like Takeout and Prince of Broadway where they bring him to film and scan him back or however they did it.
Speaker 6: I forget it.
Speaker 7: But I only saw a Takeout for the first time through the Criterion transfer, and when it looks filmmic, it's it's a totally different thing. And so this would be really interesting in that way. I don't think it needs it, but you know, if we're gonna get a blue ray, maybe that is something like that happened. I don't know. It's so good. This actually did just come out and it's really great. And this is the Hearts of Darkness, the four K from uh Lionsgate. Now I've I've read online that it's missing some Eleanor Coppola documentary shorts that I think are on some kind of British release. I don't know if it's a four K or just a blu ray of Hearts of Darkness. But I'm like, now I gotta get that too. But my girlfriend hadn't seen this one, and I realized this is like maybe one of the first documentaries that made me understand how great documentary can be. Yeah, and just to see, especially with Copla. Now you have mega doc and so you could go and watch Copla dealing with apocalypse now, and then you can go watch a mega doc on Criterion channel and see him dealing with you know, exactly right, and he is and he is dramatic right out of the gate man only smokes. But yeah, this this documentary is truly spectacular, just in terms of they have archival footage obviously of the actors, including like a fourteen year old Laurence Fishburne, and then they have you know, like them reflecting on the movie in the like early nineties. But then they do this great thing where they use orson Wells as I think it was a radio broadcast of him reading Hearts of Darkness, the Conrad book, and so they'll take little clips of that and they'll play it over footage of the Just it's really well put together, I know, it's not just eleanor Coppola, it's George Chicken Looper as well. But it's really such a great put together documentary. And you watch it and you see Copola in the movie just being like, this movie sucks, this is never gonna be He's so it's inspirational in that way that you're like, wow, he was so not thinking this was gonna be any good and he was wrong. So great release. And then the last one is a DVD only release from Shout called Off the Charts. This is a recommendation from my friend Brendan Small. Uh he I'm sorry. I just have to be honest. He's the one who I wouldn't know.
Speaker 6: About Thishole, which, by the way, if somebody out there has never listened to them, go listen to all of the episodes of Just the This with Brendan on them. They're they're some of the best.
Speaker 7: You know. What's funny is that I gotta, I gotta, I gotta say. One of my favorite things that's come about because of the podcast, I think pure cinema first and then just this is that I've become really good friends with Brendan and he's like a really good friend and and that's not a thing, but just a thing where I was like, no way could the guy who made home Movies, which I love and Meta Acalypse be a really good friend of mine. But like he's really a close friend of mine. And this documentary is fantastic. It's short, it's like an hour long, and it's all about song poems, basically the services that you would see in magazines where they're like, send us your lyrics and we'll make a song for you, and so you get it again. This is like American movie type, you know, characters American movie, fast, cheap and out of control, just people that are real characters. The people that wrote the songs are just completely bonkers, and the songs that they make are bonkers. And the people that make the songs, like the guys that actually record them and make them. They deal with a couple of those different companies, and it's just one of those things where you just are kind of like mouth agape, like wow. It's one of those reason where you kind of feel bad while you're watching it because you feel bad, a little embarrassed for the people in there. But they're excited about it. They're excited that their songs are real, and you know, like so we already have like some inside jokes off this movie. My girlfriend and I. It's it's a really good like you can get it on Vimeo too, I think, but it's really recommended. I watched The Zombies stock from Utopia hung Up on a Dream. I'm a big fan of the Zombe. He's one of my favorite bands of all time, the sixties band, And this is Robert Schwartzman's documentary, and it's fascinating because I guess there's some things I knew and some I didn't. But a lot of it has to do with the fact that the Zombies were a band that never really got a proper shake, you know, like they they just like all their stuff gained popularity after the fact, and they just didn't get to celebrate their own legacy in its time. You know. It's so it's neat to see them all interviewed and tell the stories of how the band came to be, But it's kind of sad to see just like, oh wow, they were not like the Beatles, like that people didn't know about them and they actually had to go off and get real jobs after they made like Odyssey an Oracle, which to me is like one of the great albums of all time, and it just wasn't a thing like you know, you find out that some of their biggest hits were picked up like much later, and you know, they never really got to tour with them until much later, much much later, like you know, within the last ten to fifteen years. But it's a pretty good doc. I got to say, I enjoyed it, and I just love their music. It's very sweet. Let's see here in terms of reach. Okay, so this is coming back to the Korean barbecue where I met our mutual friend Alex for the first time, and that was great because Alex has become like a really good friend of mine and he's a sweetheart, and we go to movies all the time. I went to see House with Laughing Windows at Cinematic Void, which is one of our local screening things they do at Las Phelis three, which is close on Monday night, and we had a really great day about a week or so ago where we watched four movies. I can only talk about three of them because one of them sort of pertains to an episode that I can can't talk about, but I'll show the movies that we did watch at his place, and it was fun because Alex is the kind of guy who's down for you know, four movies in a row, and it was He's He's the great. I love Alex. Okay, so we watched Hitchhike the four K, which Alex hadn't seen, in which I was like, dude, this is so up your alley, and it totally was up his alley. It probably I would, I would half. I had to guess. It might have been the winner of the four that we watched. And this is a really great disc. I'man not surprisingly it's indicator they always do great work. Looks great. This movie was darker but also funnier than I remembered, which is kind of messed up. There's definitely some stuff in it you feel bad laughing at, but it's I don't know, if you don't If so, if you don't know, it's like Franco Niro and who plays his wife in this, I forget Kareem Clary, Kareeen Clary, I think, yeah. So they're on a road trip in what is clearly Italy, but it was supposed to be playing for the United States, and their marriage is not in great shape. He's a magazine writer, he's a drunk, he's embarrassing, and he's chauvinistic and he is an asshole. So they're already bad, right, and then they pick up David Hess along the side of the road and David hasse in your car as a hitchhiker is a terrible idea in any movie, but it's actually one of my favorite David Hass performances too. I think he's really good. And then when David Hess and Franco Nero start to get into it, the movie becomes really entertaining and fun, and so that was great. So that was what we opened with, and for whatever reason, we followed it with Bushwhacked with Daniel Stern, which I've gotten a lot of jokes since I posted this, because unfortunately, he had a little incident with a prostitute. Yeah he got bushwhacked. Everybody's like, he got bushwhacked. I'm like, yeah, I set that up. I feel bad for the guy, But I had never seen Bushwhacked, which is like, you know, him feeding off his wet bandits character basically and having to babysit a bunch of kids in the woods, and it was super funny because I actually follow Max Goldblatt and I've met him a few times, son of Mark Goldblatt, the editor. Max is an editor in his own right, had done some prominent projects last year or so, and I noticed that Max had, literally as we were watching this, had posted a story that was him on some podcasts talking because he's in Bushwhacked and he's in Heavyweights, and he was on some podcast talking about Bushwhacked, and I hadn't even seen it. It was some weird confluence of like, now he's the sticky fan, and it was just such a weird confluence of like because he was like, I was like, dude, I did not see that at all. I had no idea. And then he told me. Even funnier than that was that he had recorded that podcast literally like a year prior, and they had just put it out out on that day. So there was some kind of Bushwhacked universal confluence that happened on that susher. I don't know what happened, but it was super funny. Anyway, It's fun This is a Adam Risky who's part of the f This Movie Podcast. Some of my favorite episodes of the f This Movie Pod shout out to my friend Patrick Bromley, who's been on the show a bunch, but when he and Adam get together and talk about movies they watch, it's one of my favorite things to hear on the podcast. Adam's a big Bushwhacked fan, and so when I saw it, I was just I had to let him know. And last one I'll talk about that we watched together Alex and I was Spartan. The David Mammott movie, which needs a blue ray does not have a blue ray that I know of. Do you know of a blue ray outside the US?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I don't think so either. But a really the Val Kilber performance that led me to want to catch up with Thunderheart ultimately, which is before this. This is actually one of the lat one of the latter almost latest Vowel performances where he's really good and this is like sort of a secret service conspiracy movie, but like really well done. Like I think a little slept on in David Mammott's filmography. Yeah, for sure, you know, I know, h Ben David Grabinski is a big fan of this one, and he I think he did a screening in New York where he hosted it, Like it's that good for him, that kind of movie vert interest. Okay, I have to share this. I was cleaning my apartment the other day and I was in my closet and I was moving some clothes and I had an iron that was on a shelf literally and it fucking hit me on the head, like like I was fucking Daniel Stearn and home alone. I got smacked on the head with an iron, and I was just like, DW this is not fun in real life. This is not something I'm happy about. So anyway, poor guy. Okay, two more really quick. Uh. I finally caught up with this scissors Oh nice? Yeah, this is uh Frank Defiletta. Phil blanket Ship, my friend who programs the New at the New Beverly who's on our I don't myself, Yes, I totally did. Uh he. Phil blank Ship's a big fan of this one, and he brought it up on like a bonkers episode that we did, and it is Oh, Spartan has a Spanish blue where I didn't know.
Speaker 6: That Spanish sometimes means not exactly legal, but uh yeah, also.
Speaker 7: Like sometimes like a ten ady I versus.
Speaker 6: You know, and act. There is a German four K Spartan from Studio Canal supposedly holy shit.
Speaker 7: Okay, well that's the big news.
Speaker 6: Brian is buying that before the show's over.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm gonna get that. This is why I come on here. This is the you folks got me here. This is great. I gotta get me some Spartan four K holy shit. But anyway, this movie is absolutely nuts. Sharon Stone and uh Steve Railsback playing twins and I can't even begin to describe what this movie's about. There's unfortunate sexual assault and then just one creepy twin played by Steve Railsback and one nicer twin and it's you just it's the kind of movie this is made ninety six, So, I mean, Sharon Stone's pretty well established at this point. You almost go like, what made her want to do this movie? I don't even know, but it's truly fascinating. It off the wall. It's a Phil special. It's one of those movies where you watch it and it's it's just like not like any other movie you've seen. And Phil has a knack for finding those movies. And so I finally saw that, and lastly I saw this is a Warner Archive DV. Love is a racket. This is directed by William Wellman, and it's kind of a fun pre code. I want to say it's a pre code. I'm pretty sure it is, with and Devorak and Lee Tracy and yeah, it's I don't want to spoil it, but it's just sort of like newsmen. They a lot of pre codes with news guys, and and Lee Tracy was really good as a fast talking newsman. In this case, he's like second fiddle to another guy. And I don't know, it's it was enjoyable. It deals with him having to his buddy who works with the who's the I forget the guy that plays this Lyle Talbot, No, I don't even know.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 7: Anyway, I was looking at some William Wellman movies and this was one I hadn't seen and it was not bad. Love's Racket anyway, that's a lot of me talking.
Speaker 6: Sorry, it's totally fine. Uh, We're gonna have somebody else talk for just a minute. Actually, either of the two of us nice. It is great is that we've had a hell of a week around here. We had a fairly large announcement at the beginning of this week where I announced Antenna releasing here is the website and to celebrate and discuss, here's one mister Billy Ray Bruton the partner and Antenna.
Speaker 4: Oh sorry, guys, you caught me off You caught me off guard. I was just doing my nightly cocaine bath.
Speaker 6: That's how you get it all done. Amazing.
Speaker 4: Hi Billy Ray, Hi Ryan, Hi Brian.
Speaker 7: This is a lot of Billy Ray. I've seen him twice this week in person online.
Speaker 6: This is great.
Speaker 4: You know, I find that most people thrive when they get a lot of Billy Ray.
Speaker 6: I have found the same for me.
Speaker 4: The only people who don't enjoy it is the CDC.
Speaker 6: Well, Billy Ray. Uh, why don't you give your pitch on what Intenor Releasing is for anybody that wasn't here earlier this week? Uh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, So my first title is A Midnight Clear. It is a It is a lovely Keith Gordon directed Christmas war film. So we're not doing that, even though I am surrounded by right now myself. Yeah, and Tenor Releasing, which is really exciting, which is something that Ryan and Fran and I have concocted and yeah, it's it's really exciting. So essentially, we think distributors are awful. Not all distributors there are. Yeah, I just want to be clear because I think people have this idea that I just hate all distributors. There are some distributors that are crushing it Liketered Innocence and Yellow Veil, and like Grasshopper, there are some bigger ones that are doing really cool stuff too, like I think Magnolia Pictures does some really cool stuff. Like there are good distributors out there, but unfortunately, over the last decade we have seen the rise of predatory distributors, which are distributors that I define as distributors who are quite literally in the bulk business and only I only want to build filmmakers essentially out of every dime they have. And as we know, most filmmakers when they finish a film probably don't have half a dime, let alone a whole dime. And so we thought, well, let's try something that maybe is different and benefits the filmmaker in a more sort of partnership forward way, instead of bringing a film and the filmmaker on and then immediately turning antagonistic. Because we're the distributor, we know better, we have all the answers, we don't need to work with you. That's just nonsensical to me. Why would you not want to work with the people who know the film better than anybody else. So Hits and Tannor Releasing was born and we have our first title, Stolen Kingdom, which is incredible. It's one of the most fun documentaries you will see in twenty twenty six, I guarantee you. And if you're a Disney fan, you are just going You're probably gonna just probably die in the theater. You might just pass away.
Speaker 6: It is truly the greatest combination of Disney fandom's urban exploring and true crime in all of the best ways.
Speaker 4: Yeah, really, really is. It's such a crowd pleaser. I saw, you know, our film Corner to the Stars World premier at slam Dance twenty twenty five. Stolen Kingdom was there as well, so I got to see it in a packed crowd of like four hundred people. And it's a movie you want to see in a theater with an audience, like you really get that sort of commun communal theatrical experience which you don't get from documentaries a lot of the time. Like you're not going generally, I mean, no, no one's going to, you know, the Angelica Film Center to see Shoa on a Sunday, expecting it to be like a big crowd movie. Stolen Kingdom, you can get that.
Speaker 6: So the big thing here is we are a film distribution company that we are going to be doing theatrical releasing. We're gonna be doing streaming VOD and then later this year starting with our very first physical media release. We are not announcing that specific title yet, but you can count on that coming soon. We will talk about that in the amount of time that it will take to get that ready and out into your hands in the best way possible. Billy Ray, your history? How are you one of the best people to be able to work for a distribution company?
Speaker 4: Oh gosh, well that's I don't know that. I don't know that I am one of the best.
Speaker 6: With your experience, I'm just the.
Speaker 4: One you've got. But why, I'll say, why am I a good fit for distribution compy? I think because I have I have seen the business from pretty much every angle. I've worked in film festivals for over twenty years. I've done quite literally everything you can potentially do at a film festival. I have founded film festivals, I've been a film a festival director, development programmer, film traffic like you net created DC like if there's nothing for a film festival that I have not done. But I've also worked in the distribution and exhibition space for years. I've program for some large theaters like Rooftop Cinema Club where I was programming for the US and UK like literally a thousand titles a month. And yeah, and I'm a filmmaker, which I think makes is probably the biggest feather in that cap, which is I am a filmmaker. I've written and directed a feature, I've produced features. I have worked with distributors in that capacity, and I know how difficult and uncertain it can be, especially for young first time filmmakers, and so I kind of bring all that to the table, which I hope, I hope gives me a slightly different perspective than a lot of other folks out there. We'll see. I am, you know, I personally think that I have good tastes in curating films. I think if you're a screen draft listener, you probably fifty percent of you probably agree, and fifty percent of you think that I was sprung forth from hell to ruin cinema for all eternative. But I like to think that I have pretty good taste. I guess time will tell.
Speaker 6: Beyond that. Two things that I wanted to make sure that we covered tonight. One, I've gotten a lot of questions of if is this just new films and we are working a lot in contemporary cinema, but no, we are definitely working with a lot of REP cinema and catalog titles as well. There's gonna be some stuff that will absolutely surprise you that we're able to get our hands on. And then the other big thing. You'll notice there are three partners listed on the website. We wanted to make sure that we give a shout out to mister Francis Galoopi, the third partner in this. He is the director of the twenty twenty seven Evil Dead film coming out. He's the director of Last Top and You mccounty, a film that we both loved, and he is somebody that's got a huge eye for art. He loves focusing on that side. So he is our creative director. And yeah, we got lots of fun stuff going on and cannot wait to share more with these.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm I mean, I kind of just want to announce everything right now, but we can't. But it's like it's burning a hole in my brain not being able to talk about some of this stuff. Yeah, it's a well, I mean, I'm glad you had dinner with a relative. I hope it was. I hope it was a relative that you have not seen in many years and you decided to reconnect and it went better than you.
Speaker 6: Expected reconnect, that's for sure. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I love that, love that.
Speaker 6: Uh what was I about to say? Oh, I guess we could say we just found out one of our films got a festival premiere that we will announce eventually. But that was really.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, we we won't announce the title quite yet, but it's a really cool film. They actually signed with us before they had even had their world premiere, So and they're gonna be world premiering at a very large, very prestigious genre festival that we're very excited about.
Speaker 6: So more to come on that note. Anything else you want to shut up before you called a night Billy Ray.
Speaker 4: So Midnight Clear is this directed by Keith Norden, and it is one of the most underrated you know, even better than that, Let me go through all of these this collection of twenty nine.
Speaker 6: Can somebody cut the mike?
Speaker 4: Cut the mic is really fantastic. Let's go through.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we love you, have a good night, see buddy. We'll talk to you know.
Speaker 4: I never get asked on here to talk about physical media, so it's like I gotta throw it in when I can.
Speaker 6: We talked to each other enough, have a good night. Oh, Billy Ray, he's such a character. Goodness, all right, some things that I've watched real quick, and then we can jump in the announcements now that we're over an hour deep into the show. No, that was We'll blame it on Billy Ray. The big thing is this last weekend got back to the theater for the first time in a couple weekends. Saw Marty Supreme for the second time. The first time I watched it was at home, and nothing compared to the theater. The sound in that film. You have to watch that film in the theater.
Speaker 7: It is I did the same as you. I need to see in the theater, I think because I was a little you know. The other thing is that the hype is so high, Yeah, so high, like just out of the stratosphere high. And that's really hard for a movie to look up to. And yeah, so by the time I got to it was it was already just overhyped to the point that I don't think there's any way the movie could have lived up except if it had been slightly different. I mean, okay, it is. But my only argument I'll make, and I don't want to take a dump on anybody's like of this movie, is I do feel like the Safties keep making the same movie again and again and again.
Speaker 6: Oh this is absolutely uncut gens but like plus one.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and that's fine because it's a sports movie on top of it, so I'm into that. But I was kind of like, oh, they're doing their thing again. Okay, that's cool. But the score one of my favorite scores for sure all year. The soundtrack, although I gotta say they He closes with the song that is the closing song from another movie, and it's one of my favorite movies, so it's kind of and it's one of my girlfriend's favorite movies. So I was just kind of like, I don't know, I don't know if you can do that for your closing song. It's almost like saying you don't know that movie exists. Right, so I'm gonna do it. I'm like, that's just mean to me. But anyway, it is a great performance. He definitely is an asshole. It's tough.
Speaker 6: It's true, it's true.
Speaker 7: But but I do need to point being I do need to see in a theater. I haven't seen a theater yet, so I got to do that.
Speaker 6: It was very, very good in the theater. I will say I loved it at home, but man, it was incredible in the theater, that's for sure. The other one wentz a primate this last weekend, one that I had been eager to see, and I was pleasantly surprised. I expected this to be just like every uh, we'll say, every January horror released from the last seven or eight years, which is usual the dumping ground of some rough ones. I will say, though, this is to me like Underwater, which came out in January and twenty twenty, which was pleasantly surprised. So this one came and performed fairly well for the sized film that it was. But the big thing for me is it wasn't ironic. It wasn't tongue in cheek, it wasn't played for laughs. It was a fairly straightforward horror movie that's just an animal attacks film. It is formulaic and the way that it's supposed to be. I thought that it was pretty damn great. The score on this is incredible. The acting is very good and very heavy on practical effects. All of that to me sounds like a win. It's not a perfect movie. There are a couple sort of nonsensical things that you just got to be okay with. It's a frickin' champanzee going on a rampage. That being said, if you just go expecting a chimpanzee going on a rampage, you will be surprised to how much that you like it. I think the gore in this is very good. The acting is surprisingly good, the character tropes work very well with it. It's a great movie.
Speaker 7: I gotta say. You know, maybe he hasn't spoken about a public yet, but Aluric was a big fan of it too, And I was texting with him just a couple of nights ago and he had just gotten back and he was just like blown away, like he ya. I think he probably went in low like you. And so now we're causing people to have higher expectations, which is you know again, whatever it is what it is. But now I'm like, i gotta go get a ticket for Saturday. I'm gonna go see it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it is worth sitting in the theater for sure. It is a fun crowd film. There was plenty of like gasp moments, genuinely, but beyond that, just like we just talked about with Marty Supreme, the score, the score for Primates is magnificent. I believe they indicated today that Waxwork is putting it out on vinyl. If you are a vinyl person, this will be one that you want in your house. It is. It is very much like a send up of classic Carpenter Cynthia riffs and it works so well with this.
Speaker 7: Wow, Okay, now you're selling me a little harder. This is good.
Speaker 6: I think you'll like it. It's a good time, very pro disability. Like there's certain things in the film. One of the main characters is deaf, and there are things for the film that work around that and not putting anybody down, which is kind of a tough fight in Hollywood. I gotta be honest, they don't really handle disability all that well.
Speaker 7: Not at all. No, that's impressive.
Speaker 6: That is importing.
Speaker 7: All right, I gotta get on this. I gotta get my amc app open and start looking for where I can get my ticket.
Speaker 6: That's great, incredible. Well, let's go through some of these announcements tonight. We don't have a ton to go through tonight, thankfully, but we got some big ones to talk about. These first two are January twenty fifth in Blu Ray from Club Super eight, the new Ocean partner label. But these are not, as far as we can tell, going to be part of the oce inside. This is just coming in Sweden however, Orbit, Diabolic, Brother Blile, They've all been carrying these, so you should be able to get your hands on these if you're after them, and I know i am, because there are some great people in the bonus features on this. So this first one is nineteen seventy one's Forest of Beastly Desire. What a what a title. This is part of the Swedish Sin uprising from Nikatsu at that time. This is going to include a visual essay called Blonde Animal Swedish Sin through the lens of Nikatu Roman Poruno by Joan Sorry Johan Nordstrom. There's also going to be on this and audio commentary by Jasper Sharp, Johan and Ricard Gramfers, which is going to be great and this looks very good. But to go with it, we've also got this title which is Desire first Sex Experience from the same year, and this one in the bonus, we've got Johan Nordstrom again, and then also a visual essay called Queer Nakatsu by Dakota Knut and Christopher of Alasco, people who were just recently on the show from the two in the Pinko podcast. And then another commentary by Jasper and Johan and Ricard. Are you into the the Swedish Peruno titles that they're putting out.
Speaker 7: I mean, no shade at all, just not really on my radar at the moment, so I don't have a lot to say about these. They seem exciting for those that are though. They seem pretty great for them.
Speaker 6: Yeah, this will hopefully do pretty well for them. So these look good. They're coming out as part of like a series, so check those out. We already talked about Stolen Kingdom and Antenna. I will shout out Antenna Releasing dot com. If you want, please go sign up for the email newsletter we're gonna be sending out regular newsletters and get everybody on board with what we got coming out. You'll be for some of the first ones to know about it. It's gonna be fun. Nice going to the next one that was just a podcast experience. Go check out Beyond the Blood. They're great people. March twenty fifth on four K Steele book and then a Blu ray case coming on the side of this, Imprint is releasing a Better Tomorrow trilogy over in Australia. Now what's interesting is Shout released these and they are pretty much identical. That being said, Imprint should have more improved subtitles, and it's got a steel book, so if you're after that, you've got a little bit more going on here. But also don't forget Arrow is also going to be releasing me, so if you want that, it'll likely be cheaper than this version. But it does look like a very solid release. I do love the art on the hard box on this.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and I have not seen the third one. I don't think. I'm pretty sure I have it, so curious about it.
Speaker 6: I've only ever seen the first one, so.
Speaker 7: Oh dude, the second one is so much fun. Man, you'll get a kick out of the second one.
Speaker 6: It's a black I'm dying to get these in and the hard part is I'm trying to hold myself to wait for the Arrow, but gosh, the Shout Factories are coming out so early compared to the Arrow, It's like, uh, I can't wait. Yes, imprint releases are always quality. I agree there, Terry. And then after the Better Tomorrow trilogy, it Welcome to Dairy season one. We had announced a four K steel book, a standard Blu ray, and a DVD. They also just really that they're going to be doing a standard four K after everybody was asking. So you will have a chance to get this, don't worry about that. You can pre order this on Amazon. This is coming on May fifth. That is the release date, May fifth from Warner Okay, April seventh, We've got an Amigo putting out The Dagger of Kamui. This was a kickstarter that they had ran and this is going to be the wide public release of this, and you can check this out. I had never seen this, but a lot of people were saying this was like formidable for them when they were growing up. Coming out in eighty five, is this one that you had seen.
Speaker 7: I had no clue, never heard of this movie ever, so totally off.
Speaker 6: The trailer for this genuinely looks really great. I think people should check this out if you're into this style of film at all. Supposed to be very good. Next up is from this last year song Sung Blue, is coming on February seventeenth on Blu ray and DVD only. No four K. This is coming from Universal. Kind of an odd choice because it seems like everybody that has seen this movie has sort of loved it. Yeah, but are the names not enough to put out a four K?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 6: It's Universal too, so I'm always wor worried with the Universal that they could just come out eight months later and put out a four K.
Speaker 7: Is that something they've been doing with Studio their new studio titles.
Speaker 6: Most of theirs, the horror titles, were getting Blu rays and then a four K upgrade later, But this is the first time they're doing it for a title like this. Huh.
Speaker 7: Interesting. Yeah. I've had some friends see this and we're big, pretty big fans. Definitely the performances and the movies. Yeah, I'm curious.
Speaker 6: Yeah, this supposed to be great. We've got an audio commentary on here with Craig Brewer, the director. We've got extended performances on here. There's some featurettes. Overall, this looks like a pretty solid studio disc and one where I got to see the film at some point. Here Terry is shouting out in the comments, check out the Secret Agent so out last night. Fantastic movie. I will second that it's a great movie. It didn't overall work for me as much as it's working for other people. But first of all, main character, incredible actor. I really hope he gets that Oscar nom next week because he deserves it. One movie that did work for me a lot from this last year, The History of Sound. This is getting a Blu ray and DVD released from movie on March twenty fourth. Did you see this one this year?
Speaker 7: I did not. In fact, I totally missed this one completely. And it's josh O'Connor, who I like.
Speaker 6: So this is joshua' connor who was in like three or four films this year.
Speaker 7: Absolutely he's having a big year.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it is him and Paul Meskal, which I love both of these gentlemen. This movie was great. It looks like there are zero extras on this release, which kind of hurts, but yeah, check out the history sound. It is a very slow movie in the way that it's not action packed or anything. But this is one of the best character pieces of the entire year. It really gives you enough time with each of the characters to feel all of the emotions that they're feeling. It's just so wonderfully put together film. Nice. Next up, also from this last year, The Carpenter Sun, starring Nicholas Cage and Fka Twiggs. This is coming on February seventeenth on Blu Ray and probably DVD. I did not get to see this one. It is one that I've heard is not very good, but I do want to see it.
Speaker 7: I like to, you know, I'd love to get to like every Nicholas Cage movie ever in my lifetime at some point.
Speaker 6: It's a lot.
Speaker 7: I know it's a lot, so I've got a lot my work cut out for me. This one I've only heard a few things about. I'm not sure if I need to see it or not, but I'm curious because it's nick I'm curious.
Speaker 6: So taking that idea and running with it. When Elic makes his next two movies because his first movie's out. We just got a physical media release for it, and he gets super famous and he has to take off from pure cinema because he's too big. Now, maybe maybe you you launch a second show called Just the Cage. I like it, you covering every single Nicholas Cage.
Speaker 7: I like it. I think he just hit on something really great too.
Speaker 6: Next, God, we got a lot from last year coming out right now, February seventeenth, we got a blu ray coming from Searchlight also known as Disney of course, of Rental Family. This is the Brendan Fraser Japanese film about a family that is well a company that pretends to be family members when people need them to be. And Brendan Fraser is playing the father of this young girl and this movie. Did you see this movie last year? I didn't.
Speaker 7: Yeah, No, it looked.
Speaker 6: Very sappy based on the trailer. But god, dang, did I love this movie. I thought this was such a surprise. Yeah, I thought this was gonna be so much worse. There is a couple things that happened in this movie that are just perfectly written, and the way that they end up happening in the film, I felt like came together very very well.
Speaker 7: Okay, that's cool, got my interest.
Speaker 6: We got a featurette, some deleted extended scenes, solid look and release and check it out because it's it's pretty well made. We got some other fairly large news to talk about this week. This is one of the bigger ones media play news. They had the exclusive here that Alliance has announced a new exclusive agreement with MGM and Amazon to distribute all of the MGM titles. Now, what's interesting here is that not only did they call out that they're putting out the new season a fallout and then mercy to the retail market, they also announced that they're going to be handling titles like Rocky James, Bond, and Legally Blonde plus The Silence of the Lamps. These are giant titles that MGM has never let anybody else handle. So the fact that they are not doing the rest of the Bond catalog in house and they're signing it over to Alliance is a pretty big deal. Not only you know, because obviously MGM has changed hands a little bit over the last couple of years with the Amazon taking over, but this will assuredly show people that they are genuinely confident in what Alliance is going to be able to do for them. This is genuinely a big deal here because Alliance has gotten fairly large. They are handling quite a bit of releases across the board. And the big thing is that Warner Brothers was handling a lot of stuff for places like Paramount and the fact that we were spreading this out. Honestly, I think this is a overall net positive for physical media as a whole. I think that this is going to encourage better like replication factories to pop up. I think that this could lead to more and more catalog titles coming out because lord knows, MGM wasn't doing it all that much. Yeah, overall, I think this is a great thing. The only thing that I will say, I really hope that the replication factories beef up four K discs because last year was a big problem with those being a giant bottleneck for some of these titles.
Speaker 7: Any thoughts, Brian, I mean, it's exciting. I had not heard this news, and I would love it to be a boon for the you know, like you say that replicators and people doing the media to just help the hobby, not the hobby, just help physical media in general. You know, yeah, I would love to see that.
Speaker 6: And we've already seen some of this. We've already seen some of the MGM titles getting announced last week. We just didn't know that it was going to be through allowance, not allowance, alliance, that's the word, which one of them was never on Blue before. So the fact that that is happening, that is pretty exciting in and of itself, because that means it's not just gonna be rehashes of James Bond releases every three weeks, which, honestly, I know a lot of people love Bond, but they've been released to death and there's still a lot of titles from MGM that have never seen the light of day.
Speaker 7: Yeah, no, I'm with you, man, I'm with you.
Speaker 6: All right. This is a good thing. And moving on, Lionsgate Limited announced that on February seventeenth, they were putting out this four K steal book of the Doors from nineteen ninety one. How do you feel about this art there, Brian.
Speaker 7: I I think it's interesting. I don't know, I guess i'd have to see it in person. I can't really get a great read on it here. I mean, I'm very pro vow. Okay, we thank you for that. I mean, maybe not as hot on the crazy Psychedelic Care I don't know, but I'm It's another one that I've been just a great vow place recently because my girlfriend and I both love real Genius and we love Val, and I showed her Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang for the first time, and so I've just been kind of in that place where I'm just watching a lot of Val and I'm due for long overdue for a rewatch of The Doors. So it's exciting on that level for me. For sure.
Speaker 6: It's a good movie. I don't hate this art necessarily.
Speaker 7: By the way, MGM should put out Darker than Number if they control it, because that movie is amazing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't. I don't hate this. I do want to see it in person. I like the fact that they're at least being playful with the slipcover, making it reveal the crazy Jim Morrison colors. Yes, I will admit in the mar marketing this does kind of look terrible. Just gonna say it. Okay, they've got a couple of exclusive extras on here. We got an Oliver Stone director's intro, and then we've got val Oliver and Jim the Making of Morrison. It's a good movie. The only thing I'll shout out here. Lions Gate has already released this on four K way back in twenty nineteen. Oh I really wish they focused just on films that have not been out on four K, Like, we don't really need a rehash of The Doors with a couple of new extras at this moment.
Speaker 7: Fair, that's fair.
Speaker 6: There are so many things that lions Gate owns the rights to that other people would love to release that they're just sitting on. Come on, now, there's a.
Speaker 7: Lot of good stuff. There's a lot of good stuff in there, and I do hope that they are going to dig into that catalog and getting stuff like Mystery Team. Is exciting to me because it's indicative that they're they're looking at what they got and going, Okay, this is interesting, let's put this out.
Speaker 6: So Yeah, Bruce Holichik wants us to say that the artist shit. I will say I don't think it's shit. I want to see it in person before I say that, but I won't because I'm not. There's no way I'm buying this. Hopefully it looks better than that, because I at least in the marketing. The colors are terrible. I cannot Yeah, all right, another great movie from this Last year, we got a four K blu ray and DVD coming of Hamnet. This is rumored to be coming in March in the UK. It'll likely be the same time for the US. We don't have marketing and stuff for all that, I'm betting that they're waiting for next week to see if it's been nominated for Oscars to throw a couple laurels on the front and ride those coattails before they actually announce it. But great movie. I thought this was really well done. Close you out Another Paul mescal film. Jesse Buckley is Jesse Buckley can do No wrong? Did you see this one?
Speaker 7: This is another one that I haven't gotten to yet, but I've only heard good things, especially about the Jesse Buckley performance, and sounds like she's a lock for at least a nomination at the very.
Speaker 6: Yeah, she deserves it more than most I think. Other than her, the only other one that I really hope comes out on top is Amanda Seiphered in the Testament of Ann Lee. That was my favorite from last year.
Speaker 7: Roh okay, cool another one I still need to see. I'm behind on my new movies. I'm definitely up on old movies, not as up on.
Speaker 6: New Yeah, I flipped that myself this year. Usually I'm the same way as you. But I got to see way more in theaters than I expected for sure. Next up one that I'm sure Brian has seen at least three or twelve times. March twenty fourth, there is a four K and blu ray coming in the US from Keno of A Bridge Too Far from nineteen seventy seven? Have you seen a Bridge Too Far bright?
Speaker 7: That's a good question. I think so, but it's not immediately accessible in my memory, so I do need to rewatch. I know that Imprint put out a nice four K of this last year, like with an extra disc and everything. So, but I like war movies, and this is one of those, like all star cast war movies. I mean, this cast is insane.
Speaker 6: This is one of the craziest casts of all time.
Speaker 7: Look at that. It's just ridiculous. You know. I want to rewatch it. And it's it's directed by Attenborough, so that's good.
Speaker 6: That's good news. The first time I saw this poster for this, I laughed because I said, you know what, this poster on the front looks like the back cover of an Indicator release. It's just like a giant block of text. We also got a new audio commentary on this one by Steve Mitchell and then the author Stephen J. Rubin, as well as some other extras, and they did carry over a couple of the things, nowhere near what Imprint had. Imprint had an entire other disc. That release is just legendary. If you if you love this movie, or you you think you will love this movie, that is by far the one to go for for sure. Another keynote on March seventeen, We've got a Kino Classics release of The Thief of Baghdad from nineteen twenty four. This is being shown as a brand new four K restoration on this one. All of the extras on here are older carried over from previous releases. But Douglas Fairbanks Thifa Bagdad, you've seen this one.
Speaker 7: You know. I don't think I've seen this version, although I do love the I think the next version, the later.
Speaker 6: Version the forties.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, that one's great. But I'm excited about a restoration from Keno. This looks interesting and it's one that like. I like the story a lot, so I definitely would be interested in checking this out.
Speaker 6: I think I've seen some of this. I don't know if i've seen the whole thing. I know I've at least seen major clips. Terry says, Imprint released this one as well. Imprint The Gateway to Keino is seemingly what's been happening the last couple of years, that's for sure.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they had that whole set dedicated to thiefa Baghdad versions. Yeah cool.
Speaker 6: That was a fun release. Next up as Lenny reefinstall is The Blue Light from nineteen thirty two, coming on March twenty fourth on blu Ray. This has a commentary by Anthony Slide. It's reefinch doll. That's there, you go. That's that's gonna be the subject of the conversation surrounding this one. Then from RaRo, we've got Luccino Visconti's conversation piece. This is coming on March thirty first from RaRo. This was a restoration that was started in twenty nineteen, finalized in its four K master in December of twenty twenty three, and this has all kinds of great details on the restoration here, everybody check that out. We've got an audio commentary by Bill Gabierri. We've got an archival interview with the film critic and screenwriter Alessandro ben Clavenni. I'm gonna guess, but I've heard this is great. I've not seen this one. It's got a Burt Lancaster. You seen this one?
Speaker 7: No, I haven't, But you know, The Leopard is a really interesting collaboration between Visconti, I believe, and Lancaster, and so this must be post the Leopard, Yeah, it is. And Helmet Burgers in this too. He's an interesting character actor to have a part of this.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: No, I'm curious. I don't know. I don't know if I mean, I want to see it. I don't know anything about it.
Speaker 6: Same, exactly the same, let's see. Criterion has started to offer replacement discs for their four K release of Carnal Knowledge, Just to heads up there. All it was was there is a missing fade to White that was supposed to be on the disc that they did not have. If you got that first printing, you can email them and they'll give you a replacement when you send them a picture of it and your name and all that stuff.
Speaker 7: I just did this today, So for people who want to know, the procedure is thus, you have to take a sharpie right on the disc your name and the date in the you know, white part of it with and then if it's a four K and a blu ray, you gotta take a picture of both and then send them a picture. They were pretty responsive. I actually literally did this this morning and they wrote back right away, and they supposedly shipping it relatively soon, even though it said one to three weeks, so you know, jump on this soon if you bought Carl Louge. Although they didn't have the issue with the Indicator released today.
Speaker 6: Apparently they did not.
Speaker 7: Okay, good to know, not surprising.
Speaker 6: They did not. The other thing with Criterion is they are also doing I know we never covered this because it wasn't like a big public thing, but they are doing replacement discs for the Whiz. If you got in on that first printing that they had where it was missing a couple lines of dialogue, so if you basically was if you pre ordered that one, because they took that thing down pretty dang quickly. Yeah, check out that. They also I didn't post it today because I expected to have at least one of the announcements to cover and a. Criterion did not post their announcements today, But we found out through Variety today that Criterion will be releasing three Neon titles on physical media this year. We've got Sentimental Value, We've got Jafar Panahi's new title that is doing very very well right now, and then the third one is Secret Agent, which I was worried about that when getting a physical disc so I'm glad that it is coming. Yeah, pretty exciting that those are those are coming this quickly, and it's it's not unprecedented obviously last year and Nora came out in what May, so yeah, it's a it's a nice quick turnaround on those.
Speaker 7: So at least one of those should be part of the announcements hopefully tomorrow.
Speaker 6: I assumed that might be why they're delaying, because they they they had that press release come out today and maybe they just wanted the news to sit there and have its own time in the sun, and then tomorrow we'll probably get all the announcements. That makes sense, all right, So check out Criterion tomorrow. Next up, we got a couple like lower tier MVD labels coming out with their releases. We've got The Box from All Three Media coming out of April seventh. This is a documentary mini series that played on Paramount Plus getting physical media release about police coruption. Its supposed to be pretty good. I've heard some good things about this. Then we've got from the brand new Anchor Bay Entertainment, which is kind of like a ghost of their former selves. We've got the Yellow Bellies from twenty thirteen getting a blu ray on April seventh as well. On this we've got a making of documentary, roundtable discussions, some cast auditions, and other featurettes like that. Yeah. I don't know about this one, have not heard much, but it is about an all girl band, and I like music movies, so I like.
Speaker 7: All girl band music movies. You know tho's gonna be good.
Speaker 6: They can't all be josing the Pussycats.
Speaker 7: Though, yeah, or fabulous Stains.
Speaker 6: Well. I don't want to bring it up because it's kind of a sore spot with everybody like dying to get their copy in right now.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, I can't talk about anything I know, but I know that it's coming and it's the delay is legit for what it is.
Speaker 6: Supposedly they should be shipping with them the next like seven to ten days. I think, so very eager to get that four K.
Speaker 7: Yeah, me too, very excited.
Speaker 6: Speaking of four K, Signature entertainment over in the UK is putting out Fall from twenty twenty two on four K. Did you ever see this one?
Speaker 7: I did. I was not a huge fan of it personally, but I get that a lot of people dug it, so I'm going to shut up.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I did really like this. I thought it was from what I'm hearing, and I know that this was a big controversy when it came out. Supposedly this is rumored to be the uncut, uncensored version of the UK did not get that version, and here you only got that version if you got the four K Steel Book, which is such an odd rollout strategy. But the whole reason that they censored this thing to begin with is such a joke to me. If somebody is if somebody is literally stuck hundreds of feet in the air, there's no way they're not saying fuck. Let's be honest. We don't need to blur their mouth make them say silly words. Instead of cuss words come up.
Speaker 7: Yeah. No, there's so much swearing happening constantly. If you're in this situation, it's just.
Speaker 6: Not absolutely so check it out if that's what you're into. Okay movie for for some people, Sorry, no, I understand why it's divisive because it was a fairly nonsensical film. It was just the anxiety got me. I will say that, I get it.
Speaker 7: I get it.
Speaker 6: The movie that premiered today in most of the US twenty eight years later, The Bone Temple is coming on this four K steel book. We've got a standard four K Blu ray DVD all coming. This was listed for the UK. You can pre order this now the US. You'll likely be able to pre order this early tomorrow morning. So check that out. Decent looking steel book. Did you see twenty eight years later? Last year?
Speaker 7: I didn't. Again, I'm woefully behind on my new stuff.
Speaker 6: I worry.
Speaker 7: No, No, keep asking. It's fine. There's gonna be one that I'll have seen. But I'm just showing my lack of seeing new stuff. Yeah.
Speaker 6: No, this.
Speaker 7: I heard a ton of people love that love the new one. You know, I actually mostly heard positive things.
Speaker 6: About It's It's an interesting movie. I can understand why some people hate it, but I completely understand, completely, completely get it. It is an odd movie to make it a zombie movie. Yeah, that's it. Okay. Next up some more from Imprint Asia March twenty fifth. They're also releasing Riding Alone for thousands of Miles. This is from two thousand and five. This is the first time on Blu ray anywhere in the world. This is by Jangamao, a really great Asian director that got the Collaborations box set from Imprint a few years ago, and again brand new, first time on Blu ray anywhere. That's pretty damn great. There is going to be a making a featurette on here and that is it. But I'm dying to see this. It's supposed to be pretty damn great. Have you seen much from Jangamao?
Speaker 7: Not really. No, there's a couple in that's and I can't remember which ones that I had seen, but I yeah, I'm blanking right now. But this is I love any premiere Blu ray that's always really cool.
Speaker 6: Yep. I mean, anytime that you and I browsed together in a movie store, the first thing that you and I seem to go for is oh this never made it past DVD. I know. I love that stuff always. Next up from them is The Way Home. This is from two thousand and two. Also coming on March twenty fifth. This is going to have a making a featurette a trailer and that is it. This one sounds really great, it says. The South Korean drama, written and directed by Lee Jon King and starring Kimuel Boone and usag Ho, was the winner of the Best Film at the Grand Bell Awards. This is the story of a seven year old boy saying Wu, born and raised in the big city, and his mute grandmother who has spent her whole life in a small rural village. At the age of seventy eight, the star of the film had not only never acted before, but also never even seen a movie, discovered by the director in a country village. He received critical acclaim and was nominated for Best New Actress at the Grand Bell Awards. That's just a fun story.
Speaker 7: I like it, yeah, heartwarming.
Speaker 6: All right. Next up some disco tech announcements. These are all coming on March thirty. First, all of them are on Blu Ray only. This first one is going to be Voltus five. This is from nineteen seventy seven and seventy eight. There is going to be all of the episodes on here three disc release. I don't remember you much of an old anime person.
Speaker 7: I like old cartoons anime I'm mixed on just as a personal taste kind of thing. So this looks a little bit like g Force to me or Voltron, and it does. I'm intrigued by both. Yeah, potential things.
Speaker 6: Well, if you're not intrigued by that, how about SARS Wars Bangkok Zombie Crisis. What this is from two thousand and four when there was never a worry about SARS viruses at all? Of course, this looks hilarious. What the hell is this?
Speaker 7: That's crazy?
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, this looks This looks wild. Classic Discotheque. Next up, Bangkok Dangerous. You've probably heard that title before.
Speaker 7: Really, not that one, right, the one and.
Speaker 6: Only Nick Cage. This is the original, the one that that was a remake of. This is from two thousand. Oh cool.
Speaker 7: I didn't even realize that was it. Maybe I did realize that was a remake, but totally got pushed out of my brain over time.
Speaker 6: Well, to be fair, there was also a lot of Asian remakes happening in the US around that time. So this is about a deaf, mute killer stocking the glittering rain slicks streets of Bangkok, guns blazing in total silence. One man, no words, zero mercy. Yeah, I think I need to get this, that's for sure. Okay, cool, Next up, Cutie Honey Tears. This is from twenty sixteen, and it says sometimes in the near future, the ones bustling city of Tokyo rapidly erodes under the constant downpour of toxic rain. While those on the streets struggle to breathe amid the fumes. The rich and powerful look down upon them within an ivory tower at the city center. With Tokyo under the thumb of a merciless Android and her countless assault drones, scant few have dared to buck the status quo. That is, until a daring reporter comes across some mysterious woman who just might hold the way, or just might hold the key to the city's salvation. Not the story I expected when I read this title the first time, but it sounds interesting.
Speaker 7: Sure, yeah, based on that synopsis.
Speaker 6: Yes, I'm very curious to check this out. It is a good time to push back against fascism, that's for sure.
Speaker 7: Always next up.
Speaker 6: If you are a fan of Loop and the Third, you're gonna love these next two titles. We've got Loop in the Third versus Kat's Eye from twenty twenty three coming on that day, and then not this one. I apologize I forgot the order they were in. That'll be the next one. We've also got Zona the Enders Perfect Collection from two thousand and one. This contains twenty one sixty seven idolo and the complete TVC Dolores I or Dolores one. But the other Loop in the Third is the TV Specials Collection Number one from nineteen eighty nine to nineteen ninety three. They are just releasing all kinds of stuff over at discothech. If you're in crazy, yeah.
Speaker 7: I mean, at least Loop In is something I'm Loop in the Third is something I'm aware of.
Speaker 6: I have never seen any of it, but I mean here, I've read the title Loop in the Third associated with like eight hundred and seven projects. Just a general reminder that Shelf Shock Rewinde Awards voting is still going on until the end of this month. Please get your votes in. It seems like everybody is sleeping early a little bit. This year. We are down on our number of votes that we usually get, so check that out and vote if you have not yet. Link is available pretty much everywhere that you can find Disconnected. We're archive somebody that is a favorite of both mine and Brian's. They are doing some incredible work and some of these are some of their more sought after titles for some time. February twenty fourth, we are getting a blu ray of Mogambo from nineteen fifty three. This has a brand new four K scan of the original Technicolor negatives. We've got some MGM Tom and Jerry cartoons, just Ducky, and then an MGM Fitzpatrick travel talk short Land of the Ugly Duckling Love that this is a Clark Gable, Ava Gardner film. Have you seen Mogombo?
Speaker 7: I am trying to remember. Is this the one that's like it's like another movie. I'm trying to think African Queen. Maybe I want to say it's kind of like supposed to be like that.
Speaker 6: I believe, so.
Speaker 7: Have I seen it? Goddamn, I'm not one hundred percent sure that I have, not one hundred percent sure that I have. I want to see it.
Speaker 6: I have not seen it, but man, everybody in the comments seemed to be after this title for a long time, so I'm glad that people are getting this one. And then this is another big one, Stranger on the third Floor. It's Peter Lorie twenty fourth on Blu Ray. This is also four K scans of the original nitrate camera Negatives. Nice big deal. Three episodes of of Peter Laurie starring in the classic radio series Mystery of the Air, Beyond Good and Evil, Crime and Punishment, and Mask of Medusa. I love the archival stuff that Warren Archive puts on these discs.
Speaker 7: Me too, especially when it's that radio stuff that's really enjoyable stuff. This is another one that I'm like, did I see this or not see this? I can't remember. But I love Peter louri so I'm maybe surprised when I watch it and go, oh, yeah, I have seen it, but I'm definitely gonna get it.
Speaker 6: Peter Laurie always great one that I always appreciate. However, this is a showing my vulnerability here this era of film. I've probably seen many of these, but they blend together so much I never truly know. It's rough because so many of them are the same story literally, like some of them adapted from the same exact script, and it's like, God, this is this is tough.
Speaker 7: Sorry, I was just noticing Aaron was commenting about these titles, but also he said he got his standard fabulous stains today.
Speaker 6: Yes, Orbit was sending them out, so Orbit got theirs in super early.
Speaker 7: Very cool.
Speaker 6: Next, I've been loving the Order Archive animation that they've been putting out, specifically this last year. They've been hitting them hard. They are putting out the Loopy de Loop the complete collection. This covers from nineteen fifty nine to nineteen sixty five. I know that I've seen this. I am not like in my mind being able to picture any scenes from this one though. This is one of the earlier Hannah Barbara releases that they've been working on, So yeah, this is must for me. All of their animated stuff over this last year has been stupendous quality.
Speaker 7: Yeah. No, I love their animated stuff. I mean I love just about all of it, honestly, but this is one that came out on DVD. I'd not seen it now. I want to say this is a series that was theatrical shorts and not TV. But maybe they include some TV here. I don't know, but that was one thing that stood out.
Speaker 6: What does it say, forty eight theatrical animated shorts.
Speaker 7: There we go, So yeah, so this is that's crazy. So yeah, a rare case of it not being a TV show but actually a theatrical cartoon that you would have seen in theaters. I mean, I imagine they ran them on TV at some point too, but of course. But yeah, that's exciting and it was fun. I remember the DVD being a discovery for me and digging it. So I'm very much looking forward to this one big time.
Speaker 6: And then their last announcement from this month is Tarzan and His Mate from nineteen thirty four. This is a big one. I know a lot of people are waiting on all of the Tarzan films to come. I'm hoping that everybody gets them. It seems like they're they're making them at least a bit of a priority. This one is going to have MGM shorts, The Spectacle Maker and What Price Jazz. This is a brand new four K scan of the best Preservation Elements release. Yeah, not much to say, this is just a huge deal.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, no, I'm a big Tarzan movie fan, and I became so because of the proliferation of Tarzan releases on DVD from Warner Brothers. They had the two box sets, they had a bunch of one offs from Warner Archive on DVD, and they've done a bunch on Blu Ray as well. Not a bunch, but a handful. I mean more, I would like, I would love to see more. I think they're a fascinating series of films. I enjoy Johnny Weismueler, but I also enjoy Gordon Scott. I also enjoy a shoot. I'm Blincoln, Jock Mahoney. You know a lot of the different guys that played Tarzan, I find interesting. This is one of the best Tarzan movies in my mind, you know, just it's a It's is it?
Speaker 6: Is it?
Speaker 7: Thirty four? Yeah, So it's like right on the cusp of the code, and it's pretty racy stuff. I mean, there's definitely some stuff that's gonna be kind of crazy for some folks, and this one in particular is pretty nuts. But I think one of the stronger entries in the classic film series for sure.
Speaker 6: You heard it here first, Brian sistarzans pretty nuts, all right, we've got We've got just a more things to talk about. The first one, I wanted to thank everybody for coming together a couple of weeks ago or last week actually, I talked about a friend of mine that sadly passed away at the end of December, and the disconnected community came together. We sent almost seven hundred dollars to his family, and Robin said thank you and expressed her sincere gratitude. If you'd still like to donate, please check out the links here or def Crocodile is collecting donations at checkout over there over there the entire month of January over on their website. But overall, thank you, thank you, thank you. This was a big deal and you guys always answer and I appreciate that so much.
Speaker 7: Mile very nice.
Speaker 6: And the last thing, well go USA putting out on March seventeenth, Ay four K and Blu Ray release of Lone Samurai. Dear friend of the show, mister Josh Hurtado, who is in the chat, or at least he was earlier, is a big fan of this one. He says, a thirteenth century samurai finds himself shipwrecked on an island he believes to be deserted. As he contemplates his existence, it seems like a dignified death that his own hands might be his best solution. However, when he is captured by the murderous cannibal tribe that calls the island home, his survival instinct kicks in. To mix a samurai film with cannibals, I am so in. I just hope that this goes there. But already that synopsis sounds frickin' great.
Speaker 7: I mean, it is intriguing, I will say, and not even a fan of cannibal films myself, but it's intriguing that combination for sure.
Speaker 6: Josh, since your commenting, still, does this go there? Is there like plenty of blood in this movie? Or is it a pretty tame film? I'm very curious how this one's kinda play out. I definitely want to say it or see it hopefully soon. All Right, that is it for the announcements this week. Semi slow week. Everybody's still kind of coming back from the holidays, in fact, where archives said that they had more planned but they couldn't get them done because restorations are lagging behind because the holidays. So yeah, that is something that I hope that they bounced back from February could be a big month from them.
Speaker 7: Nice, that's cool.
Speaker 6: Josh says that Lone Samurai feature somebody from the Raid yayon Rucon, So that's cool all right. Discussion for tonight is underrated physical media releases from twenty twenty five. Oh, Josh says, it's an existential action film that's interesting.
Speaker 7: Interesting.
Speaker 6: I trust Josh's taste. I will absolutely check it out. So underrated physical media releases from twenty twenty five. There are I don't know what is the best way to say this, so shelf shock rewind to words. This year, I felt we're quite varied on the nominations. Like last year, I think the Hitcher was nominated for like fourteen different things. There is no Hitter this year. There are a couple of things that got like five or six. There are some that are gonna win at least four or five. I'm not I wouldn't be surprised. However, I feel like we got quite a bit all across the board. I also feel like there are a lot of things from twenty twenty five that slipped under the radar overall. So how did you feel about the year in physical media as a whole.
Speaker 7: I mean I should open by saying, and we did this last time too, and I probably said it then. But my categorization for underrated it is mostly related to the film itself. It's not always related to the extras. A lot of it for me is about movies that I think are slept on and that I'm excited or getting some kind of physical release. So that's going to be kind of the focus of my group here, and I think that's why a lot of these don't get called out. It's because they aren't all always like stack disc and overall great packages. I mean they some of those do. Some of these do have that. But a lot of it for me is just about a movie that I really like a lot that I think needs more attention and I hope the physical release will get it that, you know. So That's where I'm coming from, just as a point of view. So but the answer your question, I felt pretty good about it. I mean, I've got a lot of stuff over here that I could talk about, you know, if I if we if we go there, so.
Speaker 6: Oh we're going there. Two pretty large stacks here, So very happy to talk about it. Okay, all right, let's uh, why don't you share your first couple?
Speaker 7: Okay, let just start all right. I'm gonna start with with with like basically a group because it's all documentaries. I'm gonna start with documentaries because I thought there's a lot of great documentaries and I've got two companies in particular that I'm gonna highlight, and that is Canadian International Pictures and a sill Scope put out a couple of my favorites too.
Speaker 6: So the Sorry with Stephanie Crawfords here tonight.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, hello Steph. Oh that's so nice. I'm so glad Steph's here. I need to I owe Steph a text or two. I want to talk to Steph. I'm so glad you're here. All right, So I'll start with CIP. Granted you know, full disclosure, Elrick and I are involved in one of these releases, but part of the reason we're involved is because we love the movie. And so anyway, I'll start with Hookers on Davy, which is a really great documentary about trans prostitutes in Canada, and it's it's both funny and harrowing and just really really Oh thanks Steph. It's just a really solid documentary some really interesting folks that they talked to, and I was just totally up up in it. It's it's truly one of my favorite discoveries of the year. On top of which it's to me so baller to put out a documentary in four K, Like I just I've become friendly with David Marriott, who is one of the folks behind c IP, and he is such good people. I can't tell you, like, David's so one of us, super great guy. I just I love David so anyway, but yeah, this has got, you know, tons of features. I can't even I can't even get into like how much stuff is on this disc. But that's that's part for the course. For for CIP, they just do great work. But this doc in particular was really great. And the other one is one of our organized favorite docs and that's Devil at Your Heels and we we have a couple features on this one. But this is myself for this is always American movie meets evil. Canevil is kind of what it is, you know, because it's about a guy who's trying to jump a rocket car across a river and he's a character his name. There's a guy called Kenny Powers in this that is fascinating too. Anyway, this is great stuff and the two I Love from a Siloscope both two of my favorites. Actually, one of the ones I showed my girlfriend is I Like Killing Flies, which is absolutely one of my favorite documentaries ever, to the point where I finally on the very back, you can see that Kenny Shopson is wearing a T shirt that says Shopson's General Store. And it's a really funny shirt because the way it's printed, if you fold it up, it's like a mad magazine and it says eat me. It makes it so. But so I was watching, I was showing my girlfriend this movie and she loved it, her mom loved it, and I was like, I gotta get one of them damn shirts. So I went to the website and Shopsin's is still around and they still sell the shirts. So I finally got my off of shops and T shirt. But anyway, it's about this little diner in New York. They've moved around since this doc came out in like two thousand and four, but it is he's such a character such he's his own sort of blue collar philosopher. But it's also a food doc which I actually kind of love I got. I bought his cookbook and his cookbook is great too. I just love this And it's got a cooking with Kenny short film included. And the other one is Bennett Miller's The Cruise with Timothy speed Levitch. This is the movie that sort of launched him to show up in link later movies like Waking Life and other stuff, and it's just Timothy speed Levitch is. At the time, he was a tour guide for New York City tour buses and he is just again a character the kind of guy I love to see in the dock where he's incredibly intelligent and it just has all these incredible existential theories about the city itself and his relationship to the city and the history of the city. He knows just everything about it. It's incredible to hear him give one of his little tours. So these two are I think you can get them from Amazon, but they're also available through our cellscope and had been a long time coming to Blu Ray like I Like Killing Flies, had been out of print on DVD for years and not really streamble, whereas the crews you could stream at least on d D. Anyway, those are four docks that I love and I couldn't. I was so psyched came out on this this year.
Speaker 6: Before I share my first two, I pulled out. I did have one doc actually, so I will glom onto yours real quick. This one's a new one, but I feel like people are sleeping on this and did not actually check it out. Music Box released Secret Mall Apartment.
Speaker 7: Oh. I want to see this so bad.
Speaker 6: This is about some dudes that literally lived in a mall for years, and this documentary is really great. I think this release is not being checked out by a lot of people, but there's over eighty minutes of extra stuff and for a doc that is a modern dock that this is like the type of thing that I want to live up for if we're releasing modern docks on antenna. So yeah, this this deserves a lot of love. I'm so glad that this came out. Check it out. You can get it on Amazon. Still really fun story and nice pairing with Roofman coming out this year, like very similar sort of stories. And then I kind of my first things that I really want to share that wasn't a doc. These are funny because these are going to be like very highly rated releases from this year. But I think that we're just a little jaded, so I want to make sure before I go to like the other stuff that's really kind of not going to get talked about a lot. These deserve extra attention because these are kind of crazy.
Speaker 7: First.
Speaker 6: I know that we've talked about it a lot over the last three months, but the Sato releases from Vinegar Cindrome's Pink line, this is a huge deal. The fact that we're getting these restored, and we're getting a whole bunch of Sato films, like we've already gotten three volumes and they've already said there's still many more coming from Sauto, Like this is stuff that people that are into pink films have been watching these in horribly translated bad YouTube rips ripped on a couple sites that I won't even name, that usually not in sync, usually done in a way that you're like, man, I can't really see what the scene is portraying. And to see these restored this way, these releases are incredible, and the fact that we're getting so many and now pink films are suddenly getting popular thankfully for all of us that Vinegar Syndrome is doing it, even though some other companies has been doing it for years, like Synaps through their Impulse line had really been given a lot of love to pink films, But now Vinegar Syndrome kind of made it, you know, sexy again for people to check them out. So, yeah, check out more of the SATO releases if you've been worried about it or I'm curious how good they are. Even though they're getting a lot of praise, they deserve a lot more. But the one that I think that is in that category that deserves it even more is the releases from Hammer Films, The Curse of Frankenstein. This came out and I don't even know where to begin with this. This release is at a level that should be expected of brands that have been around for years for like the biggest films of all time, and yeah, Curse of Frankenstein it's probably maybe the biggest or the second biggest of the Hammer films that they've released through there. But these releases, if you've not seen one on the inside, first of all, like I can't even show everything that's in here, all of the extras, are incredible. The film itself looks amazing, the restoration book wise, this is some of the better essays from this year. Like this is look at that thing. I don't even know how to like start the praise on this. And the only reason that this was even like I should get this one is because my buddy Brian, who he was in the chat earlier, he was talking about how good the essays. Oh look there he is. Chris Frankenstein from Hammer is my best release of the year. It's insane. He is the one that was like, listen, you need to go read the essays for this if you haven't yet, And I went, okay, and I went and checked him out, and these are mind blowingly great essays in this release. The extras on every single one of the Hammer releases have been insanely good. The archive work through Hammer and the UK is so far above what we get on stuff from the US, it is insane. I just I don't think Hammer is getting enough love for what they've done over there. So that's it. I wanted to keep a little bit more praise before I went into the deeper cuts.
Speaker 7: Well, and I'll just improvising off of yours. I actually have a video coming out this Sunday that's sort of like more favorites of the year, and one of the ones that included in that is the Hammer version of Captain Chronos, which is, while not quite on the level of that is, is also ridiculous. Captain Cronos, by the way, is one of my favorite Hammer films ever. I think it's fantastic. Uh And this this set is just I mean, you got again, you get the book, You've got two books basically cards, and then just tons and tons of discs. You have a you have like multiple aspect ratio versions in four case, you have this one sixty six UK theatrical, one full screen one three seven is film version wide screen one A five US theatrical. You know those are the uhds, and then you've got all the Blu rays and special I mean, it's just incredible. These are I don't know, I gotta I gotta pay a little closer attention to Hammer after this because I was just floored by how good this set is. It's fantasy. Yeah, Now, do you know, is the restoration the same as the Warner Archive four K that came.
Speaker 6: Out the identical The only thing that is different is The UK release has a bonus disc with which some some archival like very British extras are on there, and that's it. You still get most of the disc extras on the archive disc here in the US. But I will honestly say this is one of those releases where the book that comes with it is likely worth about fifteen to twenty dollars by itself. Literally, Wow, damn.
Speaker 7: That's good. Okay, where to go next? There's a lot here. Okay, I'll do let's see, I will do. I'll do fun City It. Fun City is a tough one because I don't know, are they under praised or what's your vibe about their releases?
Speaker 6: I feel like since they left OCN, people just forget they exist. So I try to bring them up when I can. But they're great.
Speaker 7: That's great. Okay, Well then I'll what maybe my favorite trailer COMPLI ever made. Welcome to Fun City, I think is just spectacular. I mean the way he's set this up and organized it by decade and is including and I believe all this stuff is newly scanned from thirty five elements, so you're not getting just like YouTube rips, and in a lot of cases you're getting stuff that you've never seen on YouTube, you know. So it's an incredible compilation that one, And then I just tried not to go too crazy, so I just picked two. Maybe It's You, which is maybe my favorite John Sales film, pretty close with some a couple others, but and this version is a new transfer, and it's got again a Bill Ackerman commentary, one of my favorite things to have on a disc, and that commentary is great, and new interview with Sales, Griffin Done and Amy Robinson, rasona Arquette, Vincin Spano, Matthew Modine. It's fantastic and this movie is just so so good. So I can't recommend that one enough. And lastly from Them A Lifeguard, which is just a great, great character study with Sam Elliott as a lifeguard in his probably in his thirties, I guess, but looking at sort of an existential life crisis and meeting a woman who's kind of like wanting to help him quote unquote move on, and he has to decide if he wants to move on, you know, or if he wants to stay where he's at. And it's a very relatable movie in that sense, but an incredible performance from Sam Elliott. He's just so good in this great movie. And then just a couple from Arrow and then I'll kick it over to you. This was huge because it had never been on Blu ray or DVD that I know of. And that's Enemy Territory. Just a really great siege movie with Ray Parker Junior as one of the prominence and an early performance from Candy Man. Why can't I think of the actor right now? That just passed away.
Speaker 6: Let's just wait. I want to see how long it takes.
Speaker 7: Yeah, chat the second, Tony Todd, I got it, Tony Todd. Yeah, but yeah, Jan Michael Vincent's in this. It's basically about a guy, an insurance salesman, who has to get a deposit for an insurance thank you uh in ten thousand dollars in cash in a neighborhood I want to say they moved it to they moved to Chicago or was it originally in Chicago and now it's New York. Anyway, it's a bad neighborhood, a bad apartment building in the in the projects, and he basically gets himself in trouble with a local gang called the Vampires, led by Tony Todd and then they basically are searching, scouring the whole building trying to kill him and he ends up pulling some bunch of people into it. This has a common tear from my friend where is It Dave Wayne, who is who runs a video store in the UK that is one of the last Sniffs video. Yeah, and definitely followed Dave on socials. Dave's great, just really knowledgeable guy and does a YouTube show every week called at the Video Store, which is fantastic because he literally kind of like you in some ways but different, Like he goes through all the new releases he's gotten in and like I said, just the knowledge base is so solid that there we go. Yeah, top ten, Yeah, but yeah, some nice features on here and just great to see this. Granted this is region B locked, but a movie I didn't think we were going to get on any physical format outside of the HS, so that's great. And then Outland is my other pick from Arrow. I really love Outland, a quasi remake of High Noon in Spain with Sean Connery playing the Gary Cooper role, and it also has Peter Boyle, a very evil Peter Boyle. James Siking Francis Sternhagen, written and directed by Higham's looks great on this four K. I was really really psyched when this got announced, and I think it's a little underappreciated as a movie in general, but yeah, it's it's really It's got a Western in space kind of vibe and I love it so Outland is the other one.
Speaker 6: Something that I shared some love for just a minute ago. I wanted to get two of my animation picks from this year in and Warner Archive kind of quietly it seems like killed it this year. The first one I want to shout out is the entire Huckleberry Hound Show. This release is massive. First of all, I can't remember the number, and I was trying to look a moment ago. This has a ridiculous amount of content on here. It's like thousands of minutes. Literally. I don't know if they've got it listed on each one, but it is like each one of these cases. There are eleven discs total of just Huckleberry Hound, and they look incredible on these blu rays. I am so happy to be able to see these all cleaned up. Grew it, grewing, that's not a word. Growing up with these Hannah Barbara was such a huge deal for me. I mean, all of it was something that I every single Saturday, hours and hours and hours, and I missed some of these. Some of these I watched and I had not seen in literally thirty years, and put in some of these discs this year went WHOA Like I remember this exact interaction that I saw when I was like seven years old, and it just burned straight back into my brain again. Loved that feeling. Absolutely great collection from them, but their best collection this year by far Tom and Jerry the Golden Era Anthology. This covers from nineteen forty to nineteen fifty eight. And the big thing is this has all of the all of Tom and Jerry from nineteen forty to nineteen fifty eight. It has all of them. Almost all of them are like very well restored. The do they get the name of it on here? There is uh okay, it's not on here. There is a collection of like fourteen shorts that were from a very specific section that were not restored, and they are they don't look good on the disc at all. But other than that, the rest of these look incredible and they're like one hundred and fourteen or hundred and fifteen total in here, So this is absolutely worth it. The fact that we get all of them and they're uncensored. Many of these had never been released on disc before uncensored, but this release is kind of a miracle that it came together. And in a year when we're talking about Warner getting bought by Netflix and trying to rescue physical media out of the hands of the corporate conglomerate like that, it is important that we continue to get releases like this until we can't. And I'm just glad that they're investing the money into this because for many people, I'm curious, like how many Huckleberry Hound complete series did they sell this year? Was it worth the cost for them to actually restore these or are they supplementing income from elsewhere, because I'm pretty sure not many people bought the entire Huckleberry Head collection. But I will say it's absolutely worth it. If you're watching this, if you like animation at all, you should. It deserves a watch, it deserves a purchase, it deserves to be restored. And I'm so grateful for worder Arcs me too.
Speaker 7: And here's what I'd say about them. I think I'd like to think that some of their buying base is not well represented online, like it's older people that don't. That would be my guest, because otherwise I don't think that they're you know, so altruistic that they're just like, we're gonna do this one for the fans, you know, So it has to be something that they've have the data that shows they're selling it, you know. But that said great, and I had that in my Favorites of the Year video. Yeah, glad you brought that in. Just jumping off that, I'll do three quick Warner Archive release reviews, and then I got so much other stuff. But these are all again about the movies. For me, these are movies that are rare and interesting in my mind. First one is Rafferty and the gold Dust Twins. This is a seventies road movie with Alan Arkin, Sally Kellerman, Mackenzie Phillips, Alex Rocco, and Harry Dean Stanton. And it's one that is I don't know, it just has that seventies feeling. Basically, Alan Arkin plays an ex marine who now drinks a lot and works for the DMV in Los Angeles and one day he's having his lunch, I guess at Griffith Park or somewhere, and he more or less gets kidnapped by two wayward ladies played by Kellerman and Mackenzie Phillip, and they're like, we want you to drive us to New Orleans and they have a gun, and so he's like, Okay, I guess we're going. And it's one of those like seventies. It's very much would be like a good double with something like Scarecrow, which is also a great Warner Archive Blu Ray. It's in that area. And this is a movie I'd seen I think on VHS and then which is a travesty because this is a Scope movie and so if you're watching on VSS, it's horribly cropped. And then there was no HD version of the wide screen forever. So it was just really nice to finally see it fully scope and look good. I just really dig this movie a lot. It's a really interesting one. Next up we have we called Gabriel over the White House, Joe Dante favorite, a very again appropriate movie for right now. I'm just going to read the back as America to spared. During the early days of the Depression, Hollywood met the challenge hold on Where Is It Here? Walter Houston gives a brevera performance, starring as a corrupt us present who has a brush with an angel after a near fatal car crash and awakens determined to right all of America's wrongs now by or by any means possible. So he really becomes like this this aggressively you know, I don't want to say progressive, but definitely you know, doing the right thing kind of president to a fault, like where he's almost like dangerous in terms of the way he's doing it. But it's really an interesting movie. And I was turned onto it by Joe Dante. I remember Joe Dante saying years ago when like the DVD came out that he was a big fan of this one. And it's directed by uh who did this one, Gregory Lacava who did My Man Godfrey and some other stuff like that. But really great Walter Houston really in Trouble movie. And then lastly we Got Seven Women, which is the last John Ford movie, John Ford's final movie, and it's about a group of women in a mission in the midst of in China and they are basically there's a siege from bandits and it's intense, it gets intense, and the ending is intense, and it's I think it's a pretty solid last movie, especially for john Ford, who is a very male, heavy filmmaker. Not that he didn't have sympathetic and sometimes progressive females in his films, but but this cast is really strong because it's like Anne Bancroft's Sue Lyon, Margaret Layton, Mildred Dunnoch. You recognize the women you don't know the name names of you definitely recognize, and particularly Anne Bancroft is spectacular in this. So and this is another Scope movie that was not really I mean, you could see in an SD version in Scope, but it wasn't sixteen by nine enhanced, and so it's great to have this in that version. So those are some weren't archives that I dug.
Speaker 6: This one is an interesting release because technically neither of the films were released this year on physical media for the first time. But I got a shout out the fact that Terror Vision got the WNUF Halloween Special one and two into Walmart this year and it sold so well that nobody could pick them up, like they were gone pretty much immediately. Everybody was trying to get them online. You couldn't buy them online for the biggest time. I think this was a very encouraging sign for twenty twenty five in physical physical media. The fact that we can put out a double feature Blu ray disc in Walmarts for less than twenty dollars that was fully loaded with all of the bonus features that were on the limited edition of each of the films. And that's a lot of stuff because these are anthologies that are made very well, which got a lot of love, a lot of bonus features, and you could get both of those in person in a store for less than twenty dollars. Kind of legendary. I love that they were able to do that. Next, I feel like this is turning into a very very consistent label, but not one that gets enough attention for getting releases that are not being released by anybody else or anywhere in any way. Really, I wanted to shout out one of the japan Archy releases from eighty eight films, so this is detonation violent writers. A lot of the stuff that they're releasing on this line is very good, but because they're not a lot of them are not cult titles. They're more like small crime films or something like that. They get overlooked, I feel like, and most of these are really really well made. This one like there's new to the other back I can't even show that for one. But there's extras on all these discs. They're coming with booklets, which for eighty eight films that's not always a given. And my big thing and I talked about it on here the other day when talking about antenna prices. Prices for many of these releases have gotten so obnoxious that you can't go buy three films from one company without spending one hundred and twenty dollars. Sometimes these things are coming out and they're twenty bucks on release, brand new with an obi strip, with extras, with a booklet. Twenty bucks. That's pretty amazing for a great release that you can't get from anybody else. And then the last one in this little batch and then I'll let you have yours again. This came out early early this year, I think or shipped. I think it announced in January and came out like April, and now I feel like nobody's talking about this at the end of the year. But Cauldron, even though they had a very delayed box set come out this year. Quietly put out some really great titles this year and one of the craziest, which any nudity on the front. No, if you've not seen this, you absolutely need to check it out. Mad Foxes on four K. This film is bonkers. I probably cannot show the inside cover. Oh no, it's the same. This movie is great. Mad Foxes is one that got some some Blu rays overseas with some covers that would make your grandmother faint. This movie is insane, really fun time and it's a really high quality four K. The blue rays for this never looked great. And Cauldron. When they finally get something on disc and it's out, you will be very happy, very happy that you're getting something from them. Mad Fox's is a winner. And because Bravido Giallo came out this year, I feel like this is getting forgotten because the Houses of Doom and all that over the last year and a half has been an ordeal for them. These are getting forgotten. But these are absolutely absolutely solid releases. And it's a hard slip. I know a lot of people are into that. It's a hard side loading slip comes with the poster. It's a really solid release.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I love Cauldron and Jesse's the best, incredibly sweet guy, and the Brevedos set was great, including Grave Disturbance is like my highlight for that one. That's a movie that I really really dig.
Speaker 6: And was really ps liked.
Speaker 7: Just jumping on the TerrorVision train for a second. Grow Up Tony Phillips. The Emily Haggins movie may may be my favorite of her films. Just a really sweet coming of age movie about a kid who doesn't want to give up dressing up for Halloween and has taken a lot of shit for it. I was lucky enough to see this screened as part of Cinematic Void with Emily and the cast there, and that was a great screening. To see that in the theater with people was wonderful. A. J. Bowen's really good in the movie too, But Tony Tony Vespie plays the main kid and he's he's really solid. But yeah, a great Halloween movie if you want to you want something to get you in the vibe of fall and Halloween. Truly truly wonderful and I just love that Terrovision put this out. It's a really great disc. So that's one, and then I got a stack of stuff from Shout Factory and Screen Factory, the lesser stuff I think for me, Black Sunday really nice looking four K. I had an import but this is a new four K restoration from the Camera Negative and it looks really nice. Just one of my favorite Bava movies. Was really happy to get this in four K. Fade to Black in four K another one that's a new twenty twenty five restoration, and a movie that came out from Vinegar Syndrome years ago, so got some attention. But I feel like this four K people were maybe not as excited about or not talking about as much, and it has I think basically all the extras from the Vinegar Syndrome. Maybe not quite everything, but I think it's pretty much everything. So this is really you gotta get this this movie. Yeah, really great movie. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia on four K. Nobody's talking about this again. This is another four K scan of the original Camera Negative. This movie's had a lot of releases. I get it. You know, it's had an Arrow, it's had a Kino, it's had a lot, and I don't know if this fully brings over all the extras that have been including all those releases, but it does have quite a few, including a new interview with Julie Krugo, formerly of Twilight Time. Nice, and it's got the commentary from The Gang, the Sam Pack and Paw Gang. But yeah, I think a really solid pack upon movie. This came up on our Favorites of the Last twenty Years movie draft that we did on Pure Cinema, and that's The Gray. I really love The Gray. It's probably my favorite Joe Carnahan movie, one of my favorite Animal Tax movies. And this is a really beautiful looking four K Dolby Vision version of the film. It brings over only the commentary, but I don't think you need too much more in terms of the extras. It's a really solid commentary. But yeah, I love The Gray, absolutely love that movie. Eleric does too. And lastly, this one came out at the end of the year, so I think a lot of people just missed talking about it. That's Cloud Atlas. Another divisive film that some people are not on board with, and I totally get it. I happen to be one of the people that's on board with it. I think it's there's something really affirming about it that I get hooked into. But what's really neat is this includes this is a four K and it's a new restoration and again looks really good. But then it has a new disc that has what is an ocean reconnecting to cast and crew with John Donahue, who is definitely on Socials, is a very movie guy and who is Tom Hanks's stand in and has been for like twenty three years, so he basically orchestrates this and yeah, a lot of it is just zoom interviews, but he talks to almost everybody, including Tom Hanks, about their recollections of the movie. And it's two hours long and it's a really nice documentary about the movie. So if you're into Cloude Atlas, you're gonna love it. It's just great. So I think this one is absolutely not being talked about at all. Really great release cloud Ouls.
Speaker 6: It helps the John is a producer at Shout.
Speaker 7: By the way it does, it definitely does all right.
Speaker 6: I am not one to be like ooh upgrades on many of these titles, but there's one that I pulled that. There's a lot of stuff this year that is getting a lot of attention, and those are not underrated. So things like Dirty Work, which was an incredible upgrade, not underrated, things like Behind the Green Door, which is great, not underrated. It's getting a fairly large amount of attention because it had a big spotlight on it. One film, and I'm gonna talk about two from Keno Lber right now, but one film that I pulled that as an upgrade. It's the only upgrade here that I don't think people either understand that it's a great upgrade or maybe didn't buy it because just like you were just talking about with one of yours, this had a lot of Blu ray releases and most of them looked okay, pretty like fairly okay. The four K upgrade on Danger Diabolic is mind blowing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I almost said this in my group.
Speaker 6: Good call for anybody that has not looked at the four K release from Keno Lover. This disc is head and shoulders way above any of the Blu ray releases that came out. And there was a few. There was a Shout release, there was a keynot release, there was an imprint release, there was there was a few. I totally get it, and this was a hard call. I think I only got this because it was like a target sale, So I got it for like fourteen dollars right after it came out or something. Wow, And I had heard that it got good reviews and I was like, well, we'll see about that. No, it's it is absolutely worth it, danger diabolic. If you love this movie, if you love Mario Baba, if you love this era of the like crime films from Italy, this type of you know, very comic focused feeling, this this movie is incredible. It looks absolutely remarkable on four K. This is the upgrade that we all had hope that it would have been on Blu ray. It comes now and it looks better than it's ever been. The other thing, which I also know that you're a big fan of. I feel like there's a lot of people that saw these and let them go by without focusing on them too much. But all of the Dan Curtis Blu rays.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, good call, dude.
Speaker 6: They deserve so much more attention. All of these have. At least I think the one with the least amount of things on the release is like four items, and even that one has like two great ones and one that's still pretty good. So the hit rate on Dan Curtis stuff is extremely high. And these look so much better than I expected them to look. And not on top of that, I mean, when you've got Amanda Rayas all over the extras on pretty much all of them, it is really crazy that we got so much in such a short period of time. And I feel like maybe because that happens so quick, people are like, oh, Dan Curtis, and then there's eight hundred other releases, and who cares Dan Curtis is in the rearview? Check them all out. They're all worth it. Late Eye Mysteries might be my favorite. I think this is the one that I discovered the most on this time. But they're all really solid releases.
Speaker 7: That's a great call, dude. I love that they did so many Dan Curtis this year. I have a lot of keynotes, so I'll be quick through these. But in some of these maybe folks are already hip two. But I was really psyched to get Vice Squad on four K. Even if it's SDR, I still think it looks pretty good and it's much better, right, I think so, and a ton of extras on this one. Just an incredible performance from the one and only wings Hauser and Gary Sherman. Rules I adore him, and so this was Yeah, I guess, I guess don't feel like people are as excited about this four K as I was up so Death Wish three. I mean, this is a personal favorite for me. I adore these movies. I think this four K looks pretty solid and it's my favorite of the whole group. And it's ridiculous, but it's a lot of fun. That's great sneakers. I feel like people were pretty excited about but maybe I don't know. I thought that this looks really nice and it's definitely a movie that people love, so I don't know, it feels like it should be more celebrated. The Ninja Trilogy collection. I was literally talking to somebody for a podcast today about how exciting it is that we have Ninja three The Domination in four K. Now because of this set, I don't love Anent of the Ninja. That's the weak link in this one for me. But Revenge of the Ninja is pretty great, and you know, these are fun canon Ninja movies, you know. I mean, it's just it's a nice set. I think another set very opposite of that is the the Alec Ginnis Masterpiece Collection. There's some really good stuff in here. I had not seen Lavender Hill Mob and I highly recommend that it's an absolute blast. But these are all great. Lavender Hill Mob and and the White Suit Kine Hearts and Coronets where he plays like eight roles is one of the all time great classic films, and The Lady Killers is obviously the basis for the Coen Brothers remake, which I'm a defender of, but I know I'm like in a room by myself in terms of that nobody else likes that movie. But yeah, these look great and they're just wonderful Studio Canal Restorations. They just really really nice set from them. And then Career Opportunities on four K is just a personal favorite that I loved getting good stuff. But then in terms of oh, and then one more just a reissue that I love is That's I'madman. This was on State Tax Free and I fucking love this movie. It's one of my favorite, like underseen eighties horror movies with the wonderful Jenny Wright and Clayton Rohner, one of my dudes, you know, from the director of the Gate and has some cool you know stop motion effects, you know, horror book character come to life is killing people, you know, kind of noir ish, but anyway, it's it's great, good stuff. And then some Blu Ray debuts that I'm excited about. This was a discovery for me. This one's called Fade In. This has Burt Reynolds and the wonderful Barbara Loden, who would go on to be a filmmaker in her own right. And it's just a really sweet, bittersweet story of a small town in Utah where Burt Reynolds and his buddies hang out and they come and they're shooting. Hollywood is shooting a movie there, and he and his buddy sign up to be drivers for the cast and crew, and Barbara Loden is the assistant editor on the movie, and Bert and her kind of hit it off and have sort of a fling, and it's really sweet and it's just a really tender and interesting performance from Burt. One of my favorite things I discovered all year. I really really love this movie a lot. Then Russeller's Rhapsody is a really great boof Western from the director of The Police Academy, and it's not nearly as broad as that, and it's definitely a movie that you watch it and go oh. He cashed in his ticket for because he loved old serial western singing cowboy westerns and was like, I'm gonna make one with Tom Behringer. That's totally self aware and bizarre. And I can't even really explain this movie to you, but it's super fun and it has a commentary including Max Allen Collins and a friend of both our shows. I think Heath Holland is on commentary is great. And then the last blue read of you I'm really excited about from them is Hot Pursuit, which is a John Cusack movie from the director of Tron, Stephen Wisberger, and it is an action comedy in the in a very action comedy way, meaning like you know, it's John Cusack trying to catch up with his girlfriend and her family who've gone on vacation in like the Caribbean, and he gets caught up in some sort of intrigue with some bad people played by the Stillers Ben Stiller and Jerry Stiller. And it has Robert Loja in it again bringing back to Cold Blooded. It's so much fun. It's this new four K scan and it's got a commentary from a film historian I just I'm a big fan of this one. I feel like it's totally slept on, and if you're a Cuzak fan, I just think, you know, is it better off dead? No, it's not, but it's I think it's interesting and I think people to check it out. So it was really excited to get Hot Pursuit on Blu Ray this year.
Speaker 6: I still have not seen that one. I need to.
Speaker 7: It's fun.
Speaker 6: So I only have a total of five left. I've got three. Well, actually, I think many of these are Blu Ray debuts, so that was exciting for me. I'm gonna breeze through a couple of the because I want to give a couple of moments to some other ones. Hying in the Safe from Celluloid Dreams is getting some attention at the end of the year here from places like Mondo Digital, but I think a lot of buyers just did not check this out yet. And I get it. You know, the Cellular Dreams came out swinging with some really beautiful four k's and then this kind of unheard of small film came out. It's really great. This movie looks very good. It is absolutely worthy to be part of their release slate. This is only I think their third title is it a Spined Yeah, number three. Check it out. It is a very good movie. That they're Italian. The titles that they're rescuing are really great. Cannot wait for Black Belly. The Taranceeula is supposed to be coming here in twenty twenty six. We'll see. Yeah. Another very new label, New Wave out of Australia put out a couple of titles and Rubber's Lover got all kinds of attention from a lot of people, but Strange Circus might be my favorite of their first two titles. This is a title from Sean Sono, which is a controversial figure for many people. But they seem to have more coming from Sono, so you should absolutely be shocking out Strained Circus. This movie is unique, well made, looks beautiful, fun release, really great and strong. Like second Spine to put out in their in their slate and then Criterion. They got a lot of praise this year and normally I've been one of the last four or five years to kind of throw some shaded Criterion a little bit, and I still do you know that they're not perfect at all. One of the biggest things is they don't really put a lot into extras anymore. Some titles they'll they'll do what they can and they'll throw some supplements in there that they can get some big names on. But if it's a smaller film, they usually don't care all that much. But a big discovery for me very recently actually four K disc of a film that had not got a Blu ray that was English friendly anywhere in the world. It did get a French Blu ray, but we got a four K of Hell's Angels. This is from nineteen and this movie is stupendous. The four K of this looks ridiculously good. Anybody that has not got Hell's Angels, I would highly recommend this. I think this is one of the better releases from this last year for them, which is crazy because they have released so many great titles this year. A lot of them did not get a ton of love as far as supplements. But Hell's Angels is something that deserves to be on your shelf.
Speaker 7: Damn it, I need it, don't have it yet, Gotta get it.
Speaker 6: Last two things. This first one is getting a lot of love because it's radiance and everybody's paying attention to them. But again I don't think it's getting enough love. I just did a video with Jason over at Force five of favorite releases of the year, and so many people are not talking about Radical Japan from Radiance. This is a stacked freaking box set. There are nine films in this box set, and when you're talking about Radiance, you know that there are always going to be mostly like great films, stuff that you've never seen or never heard of, or like absolute stone cold classics. But the big thing again kind of like Curse of Frankenstein, that is a box up with nine films. Look at this book. This is the size of the book that came in a Radiance release.
Speaker 7: Damn.
Speaker 6: I mean there was enough time there to fan through like three or four page This is almost one hundred and sixty pages long. This release is mind blowing. On top of that, it is such a timely release. There is so much, so much like complexity as far as like politics and modern day sensibilities in these films. Checkouts Radical Japan legendary release and the last thing that I really wanted to talk about now, this was hyped up a lot by the label that did this. It had a lot to live up to and I feel like a lot of people got kind of scared to buy this release, but I'm highly recommending everybody check out Norbert Foffenbickler's two five five to one trilogy from Deaf Crocodile. This is a four disc film set. All three of the films here are newer films, like I think the first one is twenty twenty twenty twenty one, so we got twenty twenty one, twenty twenty three, and twenty twenty five, all brand new. They are three films. The first one is the shortest, is that sixty three minutes. The other two are feature length eighty three eighty five minutes. This is subversive, transgressive, experimental cinema. The first film has like an eight minute strobe light sequence that you're just not ready for. There are visuals in these films that I've never seen anything like this in film. There are sex acts that they claim are simulated and hear that I swear are not simulated. Def Crocodile had an had to institute a date clicker on their website to make sure that people are eighteen to purchase this. This is a crazy release. Four discs, solid, solid supplements. Some of the films on here. Obviously it's only three, but the second and the third one specifically, and really it's the second film that we'll go there for you. They are some of the craziest movies I have ever seen. And when I saw that they were putting them out, and when I saw what the films were, I knew that it was gonna be great. But I think that they turned into one of the more special packages of the year, legendary type of release. Everybody needs to see it. It is so good. Two five five on Trilogy. The deluxe edition is still available. Check it out.
Speaker 7: Nice, very nice. I probably got about a half dozen more. I'll zip through these real quick. I only picked two from Criterion, both our Blu ray debuts for me. The first one is Midnight, which is a wonderful screwball comedy from Mitchell Lyisen, but it's a script by Billy Wilder and Charles Brackett. Just an adorable film with Claude Colbert and Dona Michi as a cab driver chasing her all around Paris, and and I just love this movie. This is truly one of my favorite screwballs that was relegated to DVD on Forever and just really happy to have it on Blu Ray. Finally, Crossing Delancey is wonderful romantic comedy from Johan micklan Silver, who did chili scenes of Winter and oh man, what's her newspaper movie that I'm blanking on right now. I'll think of it in a second. I love Joan mcklan silver, and this is one of her studio movies. And it's another Peter Regert movie where Amy Irving works at a bookstore and she has set up by her nana's matchmaker to date this guy who runs a pickle pickle store. I guess it's a family business and she kind of thinks she's above him, but he's actually really self assured and interesting. And I absolutely love Peter Rigert in this, and it's sort of like will she won't she? Kind of romantic comedy. But love this movie, love it, love it, love it.
Speaker 6: And then between the lines was the one you were trying to think, thank.
Speaker 7: You so much. Yes, that is great, and that got a release from Buddy con Media. I think, three really quick ones from an Indicator who always do great work. I still don't have their latest uh Noir box set. I'm pretty sure that will end up being on my list, but I don't have it yet. I prefer their release of Cardinal Knowledge to the Criterion myself. They're both great, but this is the movie that I just like that is getting got a double release this year because I feel like it's been not talked about for a little while and harder to see in terms of Mike Nichols's catalog. It's a dark movie.
Speaker 6: Really.
Speaker 7: Yeah, the cast is ridiculous, but you haven't seen Nicholson like this exactly, and I think he doesn't amaze and our Garfunkl's great, Candy Bergen's great, and Margaret's great. It's it's wonderful, a couple of classics for me, Like I think both of these actually got releases from Keino, but I'm gonna give props to UH Indicator because that's how I finally watched them, and they're both Henry Hathaway movies. Interestingly enough, pre and Alongworth did a great series last year called The Old Man Is Still Alive as part of You Must Remember This talking about old Hollywood directors like John Ford, Henry Hathawhite Way, Howard Hawks. Go check that out. I think she talked about Peter Ibotson in that this is really great, almost a fantasy romance that has some great dream sequences in it. Really really dig this one a lot. An Harding, I think is one of Quentin Tarantino's favorite actors, like really loves her and she's really really good in this. If you don't know her, it's a great showcase for her. And the other one is called Spawn of the North, which is George Raft Henry Fonda. It's kind of like Dueling. It's about fishermen in Alaska, which doesn't sound exciting, but it's way better than it should be and it feels like a Howard Hawks movie from that period. It's really really fun, real quickly this adventure collection from Imprint for me, it's number six. It has a couple things in here that are interesting. King Rat I still need to check out. But the one that's a Blu Ray debut that I love is this movie called Abandoned Ship and it's got Tyrone Power and it's really one of my favorite sinking boat movies. It's akin to something like Lifeboat because it opens the movie opens literally on the debris field of a sunken ship and people are just swimming for their lives, trying to grab onto debris, and Tyrone power ends up kind of being in charge of this group of survivors and shit gets really intense in terms of what they're dealing with, and so it's a stark and kind of kind of gnarly movie for eighteen fifty seven. Like it's just it's dark. The shit they have to deal with is pretty dark in terms of the decisions they have to make as a group. But I really like this movie a lot, and it would never it never had gotten even a DVD. I don't think. Maybe maybe it had a maybe it had a one of those studio DVD made on demand. I'm not sure about that. But nice to see it get a Blu Ray. So that's that set is worth it for me for that alone. And then lastly, well actually got two more things and I'll shut up. Sorry. Frailty, I guess is probably rightfully praised, But I think the Lionsgate four K of Frailty is a pretty wonderful set, and I just want to call it out as a movie that I think is fascinating and a really interesting I think it was his directorial debut. Paxton, maybe not maybe I'm wrong about that.
Speaker 6: I feel like it was.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but it's a great directing and acting performance. Just a really one of my favorite Lionsgate Limited releases of the year. And then lastly, this one's kind of because I think and also is it underrated because it's sold out, But I just couldn't be more excited that we got the movie Orgy from ag for this year, a movie that rightfully, never ever did I think we would get a whole video release of it. I mean, for those who don't know, it's like basically the first video mixtape mashup that Joe Dante and John Davison did in the late sixties where they took, you know, their sixteen millimeter print collections and basically put together this crazy stream of consciousness assembly of clips and commercials and other little bits. Basically, if you watch this movie and then you watched Amazon Women on the Moon, you'd kind of get a sense of like, this is the beginnings of that idea. I like Amazon Women on the Moon a lot, but it's a movie that's it's not even a movie, it's an experience. And I know Joe Dante was not even that psyched about putting it on home video, because I know he'd like it to be more or of a crowd movie, like you go see it with a crowd and you can like the way it's set up. It's four and a half hours long in this cut, and you can walk in and out if you saw it in a theater. And they toured college campuses in the late sixties. I think Schlitz beer sponsored them and they would just play it for free and sell beer, and I guess, you know, AGFO was able to figure out fair use wise how to release it, but it was such a hot seller that I don't know if they're going to do reprint. I know they sold like five thousand copies of it within like a few days, able for I hope, So okay, yeah, so definitely pick up the standard. It's like I I've only watched like two hours of it, but it was absolutely mesmerizing. And it's put together in such a way that like it's edited where one clip is talking to the next clip, and that's not always the case, but sometimes they're just so well put together, and it's it's sourced from the originality exteen millimeter elements that Joe Dante had and has a little intro from Joe and has a wonderful booklet with some essays and interviews. This is truly one of my favorite favorite physical media releases of the year. I think it's such a neat thing that the movie Orgy's out. I can't tell you so I want to throw that one at the end.
Speaker 6: It is a legendary type of release. It is crazy that we got it. I also just want to say it's been a year of legendary releases. I feel like the last year and a half has been at least once a month there's announcement that happens and we're all just like, how we're getting this? We never saw that coming, And I just hope that we keep that energy coming. Twenty twenty six has already got a lot of stuff rumored to be coming, and physical media doing quite well at the moment, and seemingly with streaming in a rough spot with prices and with politics right now, and all of this kind of come into a head. I genuinely feel like we are in a period where people are going to make the change should come back to discs. I've seen people that have never asked me questions about any of this to go Hey, what's a good DVD player to get. I'm like, well, let's talk about something different first. Let me introduce you to my friend Blu Ray. But people that people that have never thought to care about this at all are suddenly like, oh, I'm noticing I can't watch half of these movies I want to see anywhere, and I'm still paying like eighty five dollars a month. I could be doing so much better.
Speaker 7: So yeah, that's exciting.
Speaker 6: That's exciting. Brian. Anything fun coming up that you want to tell people about on Peer Cinema or just the disc or anything.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, Actually, we have a new series on Pure Cinema that is exclusive to our Patreon. It's something I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier, but you know, we love film discoveries. We love to talk about that sort of thing, so that this is a Patreon exclusive show for our five dollars tier and it's just called Film Discoveries, And so it's me or Alric at some point talking to people that are friends of the show that we want to just sit down with and get like five movies, older films they've come to in the last year or so. And I've got two episodes, well, three episodes out already. One is with Bill Ackerman. That's the first episode. Fantastic Bill. Of course, he brought way more than five. He brought like thirty movies in that first episode, and they're all great. I talked to Chris Ryan from the Ringer for the second episode. Then I did one myself. That's just me rambling about like forty movies that I've never talked about on the show before that I just couldn't fit into an episode. That's sort of a bonus. But it's gonna be at least a monthly show, and it'll be in an addition to our Blu Ray episodes and our bi monthly hangouts. And so we're really trying to emphasize bonus content on the Patreon this year and hoping to get more people involved there. I know, you know, it's a tough time financially for people, but we're hoping that five bucks a month is something that is sustainable for people, and we're trying to make it worth their while. And I would like to think that the film Discovery series alone will make it worth it, because there's a lot of stuff that people are pulling out that has either never been covered on the show or hasn't been talked about in a while, and I'm just having a lot of fun doing it already. So definitely look for film discoveries on the Pure Cinema Patreon if that's something you be inclined to check out.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And honestly, I never do a good enough job promoting stuff on my own, but I really just a kind of overall general thing to say, if you can, there are a lot of people struggling right now that are working hard to bring things to the world, and if you can find it in yourself to support creators, it's a good time. You know. Patreon is something that is kind of a must for some people just to keep things going. You know, a lot of the stuff that we do takes money to be able to create for people. So for mine, if you sign up at the seven dollars, you get into the discord, which I think is the most welcoming film community on the internet. Perhaps I'm so proud of the environment that has become. Twelve buck will get you the background on the label that is happening right now in tenor release. I'm giving kind of some clues and stuff that we're doing behind the scenes. That will be coming out more and more regularly now that it's a public entity. Starting next week, that will be a thing. But also the magazine. You can subscribe and get a copy of the physical Media Advocate straight through the Patreon. I'll send that to you every single month. Nice and lots of other people of patreons. Check out lots of people. The Sin Syndicate is one of my favorite patreons. They've been doing some great stuff. Just find somebody that you love, throw them a couple of shekels. They'll appreciate you more than you know.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, man. I couldn't agree more with that.
Speaker 6: All right, Brian, Well this is great. I'm glad that we could get you back on instead of waiting another three and a half years like the first time.
Speaker 7: Yes, I'd like to do this a little more regularly in the future, and I should be able to amazing at this point. But it's an honor to be back and it's always a pleasure. Love chatting with you, sir, and it's been nice. For those that don't know. We had some chats outside of this show earlier this week that'll rear their heads later in the next month or so. But that was lovely as well. And again, huge congrats on antenna. I'm so excited, just such a lovely venture. That just sounds great to me.
Speaker 6: Thank you. I hope it is something that everybody else is looking forward to, because man, it's taking up a lot of time. I will say that all right, everybody, thanks for hanging out this week. Next week, first time guest on the show, Michael Byers from The Shameless Picture Show will be here from the Cinepux Networks, So come check it out. It's gonna be a great time. Until next time, Brian, we appreciate you and we'll see you next time.
Speaker 7: Thanks so much, Bye, everybody.
Speaker 6: Thank you for watching The Disconnected. On the way out, make sure that you are subscribed to the panel, that you've liked the video, and that you've copied the link to be able to share with someone else that may appreciate this.
Speaker 7: Horror movies get a bad rap.
Speaker 5: They're cheap thrills, mindless score, not cinema blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: But we here it sitting in the dark no better. We know that horror is more.
Speaker 8: Than just jump scares and chainsaws. It's a reflection of our deepest fears.
Speaker 2: Our anxieties are okay, and there's a lot of jump scares and shade sauce.
Speaker 6: Join us, Pete right, Tommy, Me's the third Hile Wilson and Kenan ds as we cut into the dark heart of horror cinema.
Speaker 8: Every episode we explore a different facet of the genre, from survival horror to home invasions, from zombies to birds. We tickle the tropes, analyze the angles, and sharpen our own access.
Speaker 5: Along the way, we'll introduce you to the classics that shape the genre.
Speaker 9: Than the modern masterpieces that are pushing the boundaries of terror.
Speaker 4: Fitting in the dark as your guide to navigating the terrifying.
Speaker 2: Thrilling, and sometimes hilariously bad.
Speaker 6: World of horror movies, we'll help you understand why we love to be scared, and.
Speaker 8: Maybe even convert you into a horror fan yourself. So turn off the lights, close the basement door.
Speaker 2: And joina.
Speaker 9: Hey, movie lovers, I'm Pete Wright and I'm Andy Nelson. We are the hosts of the Next Real Film Podcast. If you're passionate about films like we are, you'll love our show. Each week, we dive deep into a movie, discussing everything from the story and performances, to the cinematography and score, not to mention budgets and awards. We have covered iconic series like Francis hercoppol As the Godfather trilogy, examining themes of power, family, and the dark side of the American dream.
Speaker 5: We've explored the works of groundbreaking directors like Catherine Bigelow, discussing her mastery of tension.
Speaker 9: We've looked at heist, film's great car chases, great years in film, couples on the Run.
Speaker 6: And more.
Speaker 5: Our discussions go beyond the surface, examining what makes each film tick. We believe that when the movie ends, the conversation begins, and we'd love for you to join that conversation.
Speaker 9: Find the Next Reel Film podcast on your favorite podcast app or at thenextreeel dot Com. The Next Reel When the movie ends, our conversation begins.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to hear more shows from the So Someone's Favorite Productions podcast network. Please select the link in the description