Speaker 1: Welcome to the two seventeen Recovery Podcast. If you don't make mistakes, you won't learn. With your host Corey Winfield, you know there was a reason why that didn't work out, and you can look back at it and go, yep, I'm glad that didn't work out how I wanted it, because I would have been horrible. Got your ass. It is the fourteenth of August twenty twenty five. My name is Cory Winfield and joined by a very special guest today.
Speaker 2: My name is Corey Smoker.
Speaker 1: Corey Smoker, how are you doing, Corey?
Speaker 2: I'm doing pretty good.
Speaker 1: Good. We did a podcast earlier and we were trying something new. We were trying the video podcast that all the kids are doing. Technical issues with the microphone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know what, we set it up and we sure did give it a shot.
Speaker 1: Yeah we did. And that's how you learn, and that is by doing things, usually by failing, and then you realize, okay, well, next time, we'll don't move or use different microphone or I don't know something. We had the little wireless go microphones and it picked up some movement, so so.
Speaker 3: We just realized that I'm gonna keep using this big awkward one, but you know it works for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's well, that's a real microphone. You're using the same microphone Joe Rogan uses. Oh my god, that's so awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I probably should investigate because I don't even think I know who Joe Rogan is.
Speaker 1: Wow. He's a very funny guy. He's a good he's a very funny comedian.
Speaker 2: He's does he do a lot of podcasts?
Speaker 1: I think so I.
Speaker 2: Feel like maybe I did hear some of his stuff.
Speaker 1: I've never listened to a Joe Rogan podcast. I'm sure it's good. I like Joe Rogan. There's nothing against him.
Speaker 2: So you like him.
Speaker 3: You've never listened to one, and I don't really particularly know who.
Speaker 2: He is, but I think I want to say I did hear.
Speaker 1: One, but I don't I like his stand up.
Speaker 2: Well, now I got something I get to look up my free time.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, Corey's busy for a few days or at least ten minutes. And you were like, oh, yeah, I know that guy.
Speaker 3: Well, you never know, and I might in that could be one hundred percent of true. I was, I might already know him. I might have already seen him. I just I'm not really good at the names and the faces and all that when it comes to people.
Speaker 1: No, And he actually brought a little bit of legitimacy to podcasting because I remember when we first started back in twenty nineteen and I did the podcast Keep Myself Sober, and people were like, oh, you do a podcast. And then when I wanted to start helping people, and I noticed like transportation was an issue, and I went to NMRI and was like, hey, this is an issue. Open one's doing it. And they're like, h But first they were like, we're not going to give you money for your podcast. I'm like, well, I'm not even asking. I'm not even talking about my podcast. I'm talking about transportation. They're like, oh, but I don't know. It was one of those things were now if you start talking about like I've heard someone say like Joe Rogan's podcast got Trump elected, so now you know, fast forward like six years or whatever, and it's like, oh, no, podcasting is important, and if you're talking about something that people are interested in or want to listen to, then yeah, it is important.
Speaker 3: Well, and I feel like the podcasting has kind of I mean the last I mean even five years it's gained a lot of traction. I know, when I come in here in the morning, it seems you're always listening to some kind of podcast of someone, and then it's like I hear you know, and different recovery realms of saying, you know, oh, well listen to this person on a podcast, or listen to this one or so I do feel like it's really taken traction in the last couple of years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people do listen to them, and you know, there's like little clips that people can watch and that's way different. You know, I'm a radio guy, so for me, like this feels natural for me, and if someone wants to record, I'm fine with it. But it does add a whole bunch more work as I'm trying to find it right now, because there's some clips that I think we can use from what we did, but I have to find them, and then like now I got to edit the video and sinking it, and so it's it's another hour, I would say, at least of work, which I'm fine doing. It's just you know, my wife just called and said, where's my husband. It's like, so it's hard to find those hours sometimes, you know, it's yeah, but.
Speaker 3: I mean you have you have that information for on that day that you do want to find that clip like we've been kind of you know, talking about now that we're looking at different directions that you even if there is no voice behind it, it can go on the website. And here is a you know, just a short clip of us sitting in our recovery center. We were out in the lobby, you know, sitting there looking at each other, talking or looking around. And now you have them clips if you need to use them for something.
Speaker 1: So yeah, absolutely, and sometimes you just have to do it. And I would give this advice is someone who wants to start a podcast and it could be something that keeps you sober. Absolutely, it kept me sober. And this is what we talked about on the podcast that you didn't hear that you're hearing now, is I use the podcast as a way to keep myself sober. Some people use AA, some people use cooking. Some people one guy you guys met uses the birds. He's a falcon ear or something like that, and I would definitely want to meet him.
Speaker 3: He has like a wild so it's a rescue so when someone calls and there's a hurt bird, or he goes and gets them and rescues them and to his best ability as he tries to get them back to their.
Speaker 1: Habitat and sober living for birds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really cool.
Speaker 3: Like he was going when we met seen him yesterday, he was left there early to jet out.
Speaker 2: He was going to Macinaw City to pick up an eagle.
Speaker 1: Nice. That's pretty cool job. And and I guess he had mentioned like, hey, I need to come hang out and do some more events or like be around us because you know the I'm not going to call him out or nothing, but he's in recovery supposedly. I don't really know. I'm not talking for him, but maybe he is, maybe he's not. But I think that kind of person is good to have around people, because you know, there's some sober living homes here in Traverse City, and I think, you know, like when we go golfing next month or whenever we do that, you know, to have somebody like him around too, just to be around, you know, so these newcomers can come in and they can see these people and they were like, wait, you save birds. That could keep somebody sober and you never know what it's going to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's just about making that connection right of what you know, he turned to birds and in his recovery and he said, you know that helped him grow and now he's using that in trying to He does like different classes and he does different things of bringing people out and showing them the awareness of the birds and.
Speaker 2: In their habitat.
Speaker 3: And he was saying something to me and Marnie about you know, maybe that's something one day he could do with some of us.
Speaker 2: Here in recovery.
Speaker 3: Is we could go out to where he is where the birds and we could see, you know, what he does or he does practice flying with them and so cool.
Speaker 1: That would be cool as long as we can film it.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm sure he wouldn't love that.
Speaker 1: But that's the thing. And you talk to someone in AA NA whatever smart recovery dharma. If you talk to anybody who uses their what do you want to say, their passway or passion pathway, Yeah, whatever they choose, they're going to tell you that that is the best one thing. You should do it. And I do it too with purpose. I tell people that you need goals, you need to have purpose in life, because that's what I feel moved me past the hump to get me over the the drinking. So I'm gonna, you know, say that people that go to AA are going to say, no, you need to go to AA. That really worked, and I think it's because it's such a life changing to have life back. I don't even life changing like that. To live life again and to be free is just such an amazing feeling. We want everybody to have that, like I want everybody who's struggling to have this well.
Speaker 3: And I think it's because right we're now, we're advocating. We want we see the other people that are hurting.
Speaker 1: We see that thought it was never going to happen to us one time too, and we know what these people are thinking. And that's why it's like, no, no, it can happen. It will happen. Just don't give up. And unfortunately some people it takes. And I don't know why we're here. It's not up to us to sit here and go God, why did you save me? We just know that he did. And now there's a passion and it's like a fire that you can't put out to help other people. That's hard.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I want to just shake them to get it.
Speaker 1: So your parents and you're like, oh, I'm shaking my son right now. Yep, we get it, and I know and our parents wanted to shake us, and then maybe they didn't, you know. But to be here on the side of it, though, seriously, is it's amazing and I want everybody to feel this. And Corey was the same way. If she thought it was never gonna happen to her and only have some other people until that thing happened to us that made us get in geared a little bit. And for me it was fear, fear of being that person that killed somebody in a drunk driving accident or being that I don't want to be that. Nobody wants to be that person, you know. And for me to have blacked out, oh, drink responsibly, don't drink and drive, well, I was black, I don't remember, and I thought it was a setup. I thought the cops had set me up, that my mom. I thought everybody was in on it. They even wanted so far to scrape the side of my car to make it look like I hit something, those effing cops. And after I woke up and missed four days or whatever, and I was like, oh my god, maybe I and that's what I knew. It wasn't. Maybe I drove. I was like, I drove and holy hell, what was I doing? And then that's when that's when the fear released it Like where was I going? Because I remember when I got out of jail, I got home, there's a half gallon sitting on the counter, so I wasn't going to get alcohol. But I think I hit the cur or the dumpster at the liquor store. I don't know, because there was that green That's the only thing I think of was the dumpster. I just don't even know, and that's scary.
Speaker 2: But that's the only place we can think that the green dumpster is. We don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know, and I just know. The guy followed me home, and I guess I'm using air quotes here came too with him beating out my window going what are you doing? And I'm like, what are you doing? He was like, you almost killed somebody, and I was like, what are you talking about? Him sitting in my car and I'm then it's snowing outside, him in pajama pants and a T shirt. I mean, like, I didn't have my phone and didn't had my vape. I don't know what I was doing. That's efing scary. And I'm sorry, but your TV commercials that tell me to drink responsibly that went out the window a long effing time ago. And the whole don't drive drunk. Yeah, I tried not to. But when I black out and don't remember what I'm doing, that's that's a huge problem. Huge. You've pretty much same thing almost, you know, it's like, oh, exactly, wait to get the cops. The guys I'm gonna call the cops are good, I'll wait for them. I could have went inside. He's very similar.
Speaker 3: I didn't intentionally set out and be like, well, I'm gonna get drunk and I'm going to drive home tonight. That wasn't ever my plan.
Speaker 1: Do we have to tell these people who make alcohol and the alcohol warnings how alcohol works. Do we have to tell the federal government? No, they know and they love it because it brings them money. See, if you think the government cares about you, I'm sorry, Like if you get all heated about the Trump stuff and this, if I'm sorry that I have to break this too. The government does not give a shit about you. Didn't care, Nope, you just you die. In the goal away and they're fine. That's how the government works. Same thing with the states, state of They don't care. They'll they'll tell you that they care about you and that they want to see change, and then you bring them ideas and you give them proof of how you've affected change, and they go, nah, like, but we're saving lives. We saved a thousand lives probably, Nah, don't care. They're just going to keep giving them money to their friends. And I don't care if they don't give it to us, because there's other means and we'll figure it out. You know. I'm not going to sit here and kiss their ass. There's other organizations that do that already. I don't need to. I'm trying to help people. That's all I want. I want to help people, and I want to pay employees. Well, yep, that's it. And I want to go home play with my kid.
Speaker 3: And we're going to keep and so we just have to keep keep advocating, keep moving to the next moving on to the next place, whether we gotta you know, and we got to keep It's just like we never know who is the right person to talk to, you know, and then when we do find someone that has a fire that is lit as big as ours, then maybe we need to, you know, get in the arena with them and see see where.
Speaker 2: That can go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because if this is the community I'm going to be in for twenty years, as I raised my son, like, something's going to need to change, or I'll pick another community to live in. You know, this isn't the best place in the world. I don't know any place is the best. Well, there's one place that's the best place in the world. I mean, that's obviously why you call it the best place in the world. I want to find that place. Maybe I'll move there. But and I'm not saying every place has to be like perfect, because nobody's perfect and everything's a little jumbled here there. But for the people in the community, the elderly, the people that have mental health issues, behavioral health, whatever you want to call it, you know, sud goes right in there gambling. I mean, there's so many people out there that need help, and there's a lot of people in this area that could make that happen with nothing. You know, it would take nothing for them to be like, oh, here you go. I would like to see my community better. Oh I think but I don't know how to talk to those people. And maybe it's the middle class. Maybe we're the ones. I have to do it. I don't care who has to do it, but somebody does have to do it. And just because there's oh, this organization is doing that, and it doesn't mean they're doing it right. No, doesn't, because I've seen way too many times where it's not and it's just money just keeps funneling through and you're like, wait a minute, hold on, you know, and I do have friends that are representatives here in the state, and that can affect changes in the laws. So if that's what I need to do, that's what I need to do. And then it was even suggesting me that I run for office, like and I'm like, dude, And people thought it was a good idea. A couple of people from here this area thought it was a good idea and I are you to run? Yes? And I said no, do you know what would happen? Like I would They would be on the news like I would probably punch somebody in the face the first day. It would be bad, I know, and.
Speaker 2: Where you would have a stroke.
Speaker 1: My friend Ron, he was just excited. He was like I can't, dude, they would be the best day ever. The popcorn he would have it already be kicked up. Here comes Corey watch this shit like because he knew, he knows, like I would lose my ship. Yeah, he's just telling me. He's scratching the surface of the stuff that's going on behind the scenes.
Speaker 3: I say, I'm going to advocate for your best interests, and I say that.
Speaker 1: I would have a heart attack.
Speaker 2: I would rather you.
Speaker 1: It would be horrible, It would be the worst. I mean, the people in Michigan would love it, probably especially Trump supporters will love it. But like I think everybody would love it. Well yeah, and that in the whole state of Michigan Senate, all the houses, all of them. They would hate me.
Speaker 3: And I think that there would be people I would stand behind.
Speaker 2: You and support far back. They would, yes, But I just for Corey Winfield himself. I don't think that that arena is your arena.
Speaker 1: No, I'm I mean.
Speaker 2: I guess you could always try.
Speaker 1: Let's go. Let me tell you about the book Cherry Concert.
Speaker 2: I think we should just President Parker.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh, that was a funny one. I love parenting with Marnie because it's so fun because I was talking about drone because I'm I'm very fearful. Well that's a whole nother podcast. But I'm afraid that he's not gonna like cameras and doing film and radio and and so I'm like, man, and what if he doesn't like it? Marty, He's like, he's gonna like what he likes no matter what. What's like, You're not gonna te him what to do and then how to be. I said, Okay, so you want to ride your bike in traffic, son, no helmet, go on, go be your man, Go go go beat the Parker you want to be. And I was like, we can take him down to the wherever I go to get his name changed and get his name changed to president like it should have been if you listen to the podcast before. I said to Marty that I wanted to name him president, so that way his name would be President Winfield and that would just be awesome. And I always think about like first second grade teachers and then the substitute doing roll call President Winfield, Will Parker hand.
Speaker 2: Here, it's so cute.
Speaker 1: Yes, give me two coffees please. I don't know. I thought it'd be funny but yeah, so it was.
Speaker 2: Funny that sweet cream in my coffee.
Speaker 1: I started going down the rabbit hole of all these horrible situations where I'm like, no, Parker, go ahead, Yeah you want to jump out of the plane with no parachute, just go You be your own man, Parker. You do what you want. Your mom said, she just stopped talking to me, you know, she started watching The Hunters Club or some show. And I'm like, honey, you know, I'm way funnier than the show is.
Speaker 2: Right now, that's just Cory being funny because he's so scared.
Speaker 1: Oh so you just doing that sit Yeah. I was like, all right, well, because my mind goes really far places. It's like when the Sober Living, you know, the guy was like, we gotta be willing to do anything, and I'm like, well, there's a lot of things I wouldn't do, you know, Like what do you mean? I'm like, well, I'm not going to push my mom off a bridge. I'm not gonna have sex with you know. Like I started naming like all kinds of crazy stuff. He's like, yeah, I spent Like if you needed a job, I'm like, O, wait, I'll get a job. What I mean donald's. I'm like, well, I don't know. I'm thinking McDonald's. Well you too good for McDonald's. No, I've never worked at McDonald's and that doesn't make any sense. I'd probably go to the radio station or maybe a tool and Die plays, then maybe McDonald's. But I mean, if you're talking about if i'd rather work at McDonalds or live under a bridge, I definitely would rather work at McDonald's if that's what you're asking. And he's like yeah, I'm like, okay, well I could tell that point it wasn't going to work out. I was like, yeah, I don't think that's the one. And I did not want to go to the other one because there was eighteen people there and those one dude that I hated was going to that house too, and I was like, I don't want to go to that one. But I ended up going there, and then of course that dude had the better right next to mine. He's dead now, though, But.
Speaker 2: But them are just some life lessons.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, I don't know. It was it was crazy, but but you did it.
Speaker 3: I did, like you saying, you know, like, okay, I had to be humble enough. I had to clean the toilet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that was the one job. Like everything I was like praying for, like, please don't let him be next to me, boom, right next to me, Please don't look at me. Bathrooms, boom, bathrooms. It was eighteen news three bathrooms. Yep, that's what I was doing Wednesdays. So I threw on the gloves and I got really good at it, and then I changed my mind. And that's when I realized. I think too, how you go into something with your like if you go into something thinking this is gonna suck, guess what going to suck? If you can go into it like you know what, I'm gonna put these clothes on. I'm not gonna get any pubes on my hands, nothing like that. I'm spraying the shit out of everything. And when I sat down, I was the first one to use the toilet afterward, and I passed that along the story and it really does work. I knew it was clean. Man. I took my time just joining the clean bathroom upstairs in Nathan's house two six thirty one Boint Avenue.
Speaker 2: But I mean there's even.
Speaker 3: That feeling of knowing, like when you get in the shower, like is that you know it's clean every Wednesday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then I gotta throw people's away because the rule that Jason the beckcat at Nathan's house, you don't like, he gave you a shower caddy. He's like, here you go, put all your stuff in here. Take this in the bathroom with you when you leave, take it out. And well people would be like, eh, at my house, I just leave my shampoo right here in the shower. Much easier at your house it is, but with an eighteen people can you imagine eighteen different bottles or even six or seven, that's too many. And so Jason would be like, you don't leave your stuff in there, So I throw it all away. And then, like one dude was like, maybe if someone keeps throwing away with a shrimp Poojason's like, wait, someone's thrown away your saying your shampoo and he's like yeah, Jaysoni, Well let's get to the bottom of this. So what room are you And he's like okay, He's like, so someone's going in your where do you keep it in your well? No, I had it in the bedroom. Well you had it in the in the bathroom, like in the cup. No, in the shower. Oh, no, no, no, you're not supposed to do that. So that whoever cleaned the bathroom threw it away, So that's what they're supposed to do. Yeah, well that's mossed up.
Speaker 2: That's the rule.
Speaker 1: That's how it goes. And then he did it again, and then you have the balls to bring it up in guys, and you stopped and were shot and pooh oh no, I'm leave it in there again. I want to go clean the bathroom right now to see if it's in there. I throw it away. But it became it became something that I didn't mind because I just changed it as Okay, I'm having fun throwing peoples stuff away. I know it's clean because the other well, one guy for sure half asked it and he never even cleaned it. And it's like, are you here to half ass things or are you here to learn how to live sober? It's doing those things that, Okay, that means you need to do it. Is it gonna hurt you physically? Meant it? No? Okay, Well you're gonna mess around and catch some sobriety. Like, what is the worst that's gonna happen? You just cleaned the bathroom. You did something for when you get done. Guess what dope mean, Spike, go mow your yard. Look at it. When you're done, you feel good, it looks good. You have that same reward. It's finishing something that you start, you know, and that's part of the stuff that it's teaching you. And then I would carry that over and Marty and I got to the apartment and I know she worked hard, and i'd clean her bathroom and I'm the first time I did it. It was took me two minutes, like it was nothing. She's not a nasty, hairy guy, you know, Like it was it was easy, and she really appreciated it. And I texted to back and I was like, dude, cleaning the bathroom for your beautiful sexy wife, girlfriend, fiance, whatever she was at that time, is so much better, dude than twenty dudes, you know. And it took two minutes, nothing, and she really appreciated it. And I need to do it more. But I carried it over, you know, and it feels good to do things for people, and something is like cleaning the bathroom.
Speaker 3: And it's just teaching you them things of them, simple life skills of us.
Speaker 2: Right when so then when we leave the Sober Living and say we even have our own spot. It's probably a good idea that you clean your bathroom.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, And I mean I cleaned my bathroom before, But but it's doing it for other people. And when you know I'm cleaning the bathroom for the Sober Living house, yeah, I'm cleaning it for me and being selfish and greedy, but I'm also doing it for everybody else, Like I don't want someone to come home later that night, and like who supposed to play the bathroom today? It looks like shit because I heard that a lot not on my days, yep, And that's what I wanted to do. I didn't. I didn't want to half ass cleaned something the Jason to beckcom and then he yells at me because I couldn't even clean a bathroom, Come on, you know, But it's in me, It was it was in me. I could have definitely tapped into the just get the pube off the corner. No one will know.
Speaker 3: But there's also too sometimes where I've I've had to remember because even just in past like jobs and co workers of that, not maybe not everybody was fought the same.
Speaker 2: Way of cleaning.
Speaker 1: M and that's the thing too.
Speaker 3: That is the thing and and of course, and it's remembering that when we get sober, we're adults. And so then we look at this age and this number, that we're this old, and that we're supposed to know.
Speaker 2: These things, and sometimes we're not.
Speaker 3: We don't get humble enough to add can just say that, hey, I might need help because this is this is a skill I lack in or you know, I lived in a house where cleaning was not a thing, you know, and that's okay, And so it's like it's just one of them some areas again of like right, asking for help. Yeah, especially us people in recovery, most of us understand like when we're asking for help, it really there's nothing that's dumb because maybe it's just something we missed along the way.
Speaker 2: In our life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, nobody ever taught me how to change oil. M I mean, I could probably take it to a place to have it done. I mean, if I wanted to learn, I could do. I could learn how to change oil, you know, but I'm not going to be like, oh my god, I'm so stupid, so I don't know how to change my oil. No, if I wanted to learn how to change my oil.
Speaker 3: I could, yeah, but I just think it's the that's just some skills of we have to be It's the willingness right too, of are we going to just sit there and be like, well, I don't know, I can't or or you know, like you were saying, can you go in it with that open mind? And what's the motivation of why we're doing this? Because I want to learn it, because you know, I just want to learn it, or whatever the case may be.
Speaker 1: And in the other podcast that we did that Nobody's gonna hear, we kind of talked about goals and having purpose and stuff like that. And then people like their dreams. Because if you came to me seven years ago, I'm like, hey, so your dreams to make a movie. And I'm be like, well, what are you talking about? That's not my dream is make a movie? What? But my dream is to make a movie now. And if I say that to somebody, they probably roll their eyes and be like okay, and that's fine, that's cool. They don't understand my dream, but I'm I'm going to do that. And it's the fear of what other people think sometimes that will keep people' stuffs and I do fear. We have a project coming up that we're gonna start here in a couple of weeks, and I am freaking scared. Man. I think I can do it. And I was talking to my friend Bob this morning. We had coffee and we kind of he's a painter, but he also kind of started doing side jobs too, because he'd be painting a house and somebody like, hey, can you fix this trim or can you fix that? And he had worked on enough job sites with other people and seeing people do stuff and this and that where he's like, yeah, yeah, I can do that, and he's never done it before. But yet now he is in a position where someone asked him he's like sure, And I was like, it's kind of the same situation that I'm in where it's like, I've never done this before. I've never made a movie before, but like leading up to making that movie, I've learned a lot along the way, and I think that's gonna put push me through this fear. I hope, but I'm going to do it. We have a date set, you know, and that's the most important thing. So back to me telling someone who's starting a podcast some advice, don't give up. Don't do it to be rich or famous. Do it because it's something that you love. Whether it's about recovery, about your recovery. If you can do that about your recovery and keep yourself sober, then you win. I don't care if you have one listener, you win. Every single episode you're winning, and ten years from now someone might catch that episode. And that's another thing. You never know who's going to catch that and hear it and go wow, that's the same thing I'm going through at this very moment. Because God does work in mysterious ways. So don't give up on it. But I wouldn't do it to be rich and famous. I would do it to just get some stuff off your chest. Maybe you want to have some fun with your buddies and you want to do a fantasy football podcast, whatever, man, whatever it is, you know, like, do it, but don't give up. And do it for the right reasons, is what I would say, because when you started doing things for money, it just doesn't work out, at least in my experience.
Speaker 3: Well, and it's I mean, it's kind of like that for anything we take. We we're more apt to study a course because it's something we want to learn, we want to do. Then when we're forced or just doing it because oh well I get paid to do this, well that's no fun, right right, And it's and it's the recovery piece about it is it's putting our passion.
Speaker 2: Into it, showing up.
Speaker 3: We will put one hundred and ten percent into it because this is what we like to do.
Speaker 2: It's what we want to do, and it's you know, and then oh cool.
Speaker 3: Like I'm getting paid to do this too, you know. And that's it's not always we're getting paid to do something, but it's just about like finding that spot where you can just show up to be one hundred percent who you are and what you're doing that purpose is you know, what you want.
Speaker 2: To be doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it changed everything in my life, you know, and not wanting to go back in radio. And then the things that God just kind of puts in in the way and I say in the way they are and he'll pull the rug and you'll be like what then you just have to just ride the churuse man like there it's a test and there's a reason why things change and things shift shift, and it's kind of like to open the podcast opened, you know, it's like, I'm so glad that things didn't work out. And there was times where I was beating my head against the wall, going man, we got to do this, we need this, and then it didn't work out and I'm like no. And then months or weeks later, I look back and go, wow, I'm so glad that didn't work out, because that's not what we need to do. That would have been a total waste of time, waste of money, waste of everything.
Speaker 2: So well, sometimes when we're in it, we can't see that.
Speaker 1: We're just like, no, but I gotta do this. I gotta do this. They said I have to do this and a lot of misinformation. But then it doesn't and then you look back and you're like, wow, I'm so glad that didn't work out that way, or that I didn't waste any more time. And as mad as I was and I looked up, I remember going, God, what am I supposed to do? He's telling you you just got to listen. You gotta pay attention.
Speaker 3: Sometimes that's right. But I wanted to do this over here. Yeah, and we can't. We just can't let it go for a minute, right, Yeah, And then when we can and we get when we get it's when we get to the other side and we're like, oh, okay, well all right, that didn't work out.
Speaker 1: Maybe we brought enough attention to the transportation issue because it seems like everybody and their brother wants to do it. Now we're says they're doing it. So maybe I mean, we didn't get any funding from the state of Michigan, so maybe they have it all figured out. Maybe every single person who wants to go to treatments getting there, or.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's just like, okay, well, then these other people are going to try it. But we don't know, we don't know what the bigger picture of this is going to be. At least we know that, you know, for in your heart, I want you to know that. You know, a lot of people know that Corey Winfield to seventeen, he was the one that started two seventeen, two seventeen, two seventeen, and now there is a lot of people that are bummed that we're not doing it, and so you know, these other places are going to try to start doing it, and you know, my biggest thing is I can just hope that you know, they're going to get the people to treatment as well, safe and reliable and if that means for us, now we got to shift at a different different gear right now. Okay, so we you know what I mean, you started that, you showed how it to be done. Now other people are it's kind of like, you know what, now they're following that.
Speaker 2: Okay, something that you did.
Speaker 3: So now we're going to go in a different direction and we're gonna help. Where's the other gaps of where we can help.
Speaker 1: Because there's plenty of them.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: So that's what you have to do. And you can have an attitude of oh we're gonna pound crame, we're going to do this, We're going to do or you can just figured out, you know, and listen to God, you know, because God's been saying a lot of stuff to me for a while and it's just a natural like, oh okay, cool, transportation is covered. I'm glad we took care of that, you know, because I kind of think like we did. And I remember when they first released their transportation grants, Brandon from DG. Chesskin was like, yeah, we thought of you and we got this transportation going. We didn't give it to you, but that's all right, we got to hook up our friends or whatever they do. But that's cool as long as they're getting people to treatment. I wanted to see their numbers. I asked them for them because I was like, hey, how do you Because they gave them to twenty people, twenty organizations, and if one who didn't get the funding from them could do twelve hundred rides in three years, Holy cow, They've probably got forty thousand people that they've taken to treatment. And I can't wait to see those numbers.
Speaker 2: Maybe one day they'll lo okay, it leaves to us.
Speaker 1: Oh, I don't think they were. I think about to do a Freedom of Information Act, but the numbers aren't going to be close to ours. Unfortunately, the forty five. That's because if they were doing something that was that good, they would be telling people about it and people wouldn't be calling us asking for rides of treatment, even though they've called their insurance or whatever they're supposed to do like that didn't show up what we just we could. Hopefully at least we put enough. I know I did. I've talked to enough people at the State of Michigan that they know.
Speaker 3: But I mean there's still people here that are you know, they're still advocating. Look at we got gran Trevers County Jail yesterday, you know, and to put the piece together with the Maynistee County in Benzie County jail. You know, I called her up and I'm like, I don't know if you work with this client he's in Benzie County.
Speaker 2: And she's like, yep, we'll pay for it. Good to go, just like that.
Speaker 3: And so, you know, and then now reaching out and make we're get in a little bit more connected down in Benzie County as well.
Speaker 2: And so we just got to keep on advocating. They know we're here.
Speaker 3: They you know, there are certain courts and judge that they rely on two seventeen to get their people there because they know what we do, what we're about, and that we get them there every time.
Speaker 2: There's no fault, there's no guy didn't make it.
Speaker 3: So we just, you know, we just got to keep advocating in one little sometimes it's it's little baby steps in it. We want I think we want bigger strides because that's just we feel, you know, we're we're strong and knowing what we are doing and what the impact does make we hear it all the time. We have we have clients now that are in sober living or they're living on their own now that we have helped, and we see the progress in it.
Speaker 2: And so it just takes a little time.
Speaker 1: And speaking of time I have, I have very little left on this podcast today obviously because my wife wants my home.
Speaker 2: She does in that little that little Parker.
Speaker 3: Windfield at home is going to be so excited when his daddy comes through the door.
Speaker 1: Well, big smiles on his face. But I do want to mention to check out restored Voices dot com.
Speaker 2: Check that out and exciting new project.
Speaker 1: Yeah, check that out. Tell me what you think. Got some ideas, send them to Corey C O. R I at two seventeen recovery dot com. That's why. Also on my junk mail now as to your email.
Speaker 2: Thanks Corey Winfield.
Speaker 1: Check out the app if you don't have it yet, get it's free. Let's go to your app store to seventeen Recovery. You can listen to the very first episode ever and I had three months, so where all right? Listen to Corey what he was saying.
Speaker 2: Then, oh geez, pretty soon we're going to be starting a new show called I don't know what day yet, but we're going to do the Corey and Corey Show.
Speaker 1: Oh I thought that was the name of the show of like we don't know what day? Yes, name show. Yeah, Okay, we don't know what day yet, Coming soon, but first we're gonna do that Restorative Hoists project. Check it out also resources online two to seventeen recovery dot com. Talk you later oday. Thanks for listening to the two seventeen Recovery podcast. Listen to over nine hundred episodes on the two seventeen Recovery app that's free in your app store or online at two seventeen recovery dot com.