Speaker 1: Welcome back to part two of our series about the murder of Patsy Wright. Let's dive right back into it. But even so, they never found any direct evidence that Steve and Sally were involved in this, even though Sally had been struggling with cancer at the time. I do believe that she is still alive today. I haven't found any obituary for her, and as far as I can tell, she remained with Steve, and a lot of people from their personal lives were saying that, yeah, I could kind of see Steve doing something like this because of his financial issues. But they also said that Sally and Patsy had a really strong relationship and they don't think she would have been capable of being involved in this or covering for Steve if he was involved in this. And when you look at the series of events, you're thinking to yourself, well, if they killed her, then both of them would have to be involved. But they just don't think that that fits Sally's character.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes sense. I mean I could see a scenario where Sally could have her suspicions and turn a blind eye and maybe even do things to support her husband. Because in the end, it's like my sister is deceased now, and there's nothing that I can do to bring her back. But what I can do is try to preserve my lifestyle and preserve my life and not have Steve go to prison and not have our name sullied and have all the drama and theatrics that goes along with it. So there's a lot of different motivations that somebody can have after the fact, covering up a crime without maybe even having direct knowledge, but just having a suspicion of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So, I mean she did benefit from it, even though she apparently had a close relationship with her sister, because she wound up inheriting the six million dollars net worth from the two wax museums, so well, they didn't consider her to be a suspect. It could be a thing where maybe she becomes suspicious about Steve after the fact. But she's saying to herself, well, I've got these two successful museums. I've now got a lot of money. It's solved dollar financial problems. So maybe I'll stay quiet about the whole thing in order to avoid ruining our lives.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like don't rock the boat type of a thing, and I'm sure that she was dealing with the grief of losing her sister, and then the idea of blowing up her life in order to get justice might not have been the top priority for her when she may have felt like she was getting everything that she wanted. Unfortunately, she was with somebody that wasn't responsible financially, and she was in a much better position now, So if she was to go to law enforcement, all that could be taken away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's why I'm thinking that even if she got justice for her sister, financially, her life would be completely ruined and she might not been wanting to rock the boat. So another suspect that they looked at was a man named Leo Fikes, as this had been Patsy's last serious relationship before she got involved with Larry Todd. I know that Patsy started dating Leo after her second marriage came to an end, and he was apparently crazy about her and wanted to get married, but after going through two previous divorces, Patsy said that she was in no hurry to get married again, so that pretty much spelled the end of the relationship, and Leo started looking like a potential suspect because he owned a chemical company, so they started thinking, hmm, I wonder if he may have had access to Strict nine. But Leo was described as being very cooperative with the authorities, and he also passed a polygraph and they did look into the chemical company's background and find out that they did not use Strict nine or have access to it. So they pretty much cleared Leo as a suspect and did not believe that he had a motive to do this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes sense. I mean it's sort of like if he was going to use chemical, it would be like a chemical of opportunity. I would think something that he would have access to at a chemical company, you wouldn't go and procure something outside of that because that may draw attention to you. So yeah, he's not really looking like that grade of a suspect.
Speaker 1: But a crazy side story is that one of the reasons that Leo popped up on the radar is because someone made an anonymous phone call to the police saying you should look at Leo. He was involved in a relationship with a woman named Linda Donna, who who was murdered in June of nineteen eighty seven, only three months before Patsy's death, and Leo said that he'd only dated Linda a few times, the relationship was not that serious. And then in two thousand and five, they finally used DNA evidence to link the crime to a serial killer named Roger Fain, which proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that Leo had nothing to do with it. But then you look at the timeline and you're like, this poor man, two women that he dated wound up being murdered within three months of each other, and he had nothing to do with either of the crimes. So talk about rotten luck.
Speaker 2: This is some horrible luck. The probability seems so low that you would be with one person that's murdered, let alone two people, and then it just the probability is even lower that it would be within like a three month period, And it seems so suspicious when you look at it on the surface without delving into the details. But when you do, you realize, this poor man is just his life is marred with all of this tragedy. I can't imagine the impact it must have had.
Speaker 1: It was, yeah, but I don't see Leo being a even though this case is technically still Unsolved. I don't see Leo being a compelling suspect in that Patsy's case. And one other thing I wanted to mention is that because this was on the first season of Unsolved Mysteries, this was back during the era when they used a lot of the real people associated with the case and the reenactments, and the one about Patsy starts out with the reenactment of your funeral, and you see a lot of the real people like Leo and her two children and Sally and Steve playing themselves in the reenactment of the funeral, and watching it today, that just seems bob because this is one of the most traumatic moments of their lives and here they are willing to appear on TV, even though they are not actors, to like recreate a funeral of someone they loved.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was wild times back then to think of these recreations even being done. To ask family members to do that, to relive, like what would have been some of the most traumatic and emotionally impactful times of their lives, and to share it with viewers at home, that's a big ask. Like it's one thing to do in interview, but it's a whole other to reenact.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I can see why Unsolved Mysteries during their later seasons pretty much stopped doing that and they would pretty much get actors every single time for the reenactments. But if you look at the early seasons, I guess it adds a feeling of realism and authenticity to them when you see the real people right there on screen reenacting those. It was kind of like when I was a kid, I sometimes couldn't figure out that the reenactments were stage. So I'm thinking of myself, why is the cameraman still filming when all these horrible crimes are taking place?
Speaker 2: Your little kid brain is just like, oh my gosh, why is there a guy they're filming and he's not helping?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Why is it still unsolved? If they capture the murder right here on camera? Yeah, when you're eight years old, that's how you think.
Speaker 2: Is this true?
Speaker 1: Yep? So now I need to talk about Patsy's second ex husband, And what's interesting is that he happens to share the name with an infamous figure and another case that we have covered. Does the name Robert Cox ring a bell to you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Robert Cox sounds familiar from.
Speaker 1: The Springfield three case. He was the guy who was in prison for kidnapping who claims that he knows the truth about what happened to the three missing women, but will not reveal it until after his mother passes away. So it's still up for debate if he was responsible for their disappearances. But rest assured this Robert Cox is not the same Robert Cox from that case.
Speaker 2: So weird when you get these names and they intersect, and it's like the six degrees of separation with any true crime case. Basically you can connect them all.
Speaker 1: Yes, but Robert Cox sounds like a fairly common name, so I guess it shouldn't be surprised that he has popped up in two separate cases that are unconnected to each other. But following her divorce from her first husband, Bill, Patsy became involved in a relationship with a man named Robert Cox, who was separated from his first wife and he had a couple children from his first marriage. And even though Patsy felt that Robert was charming at first, he turned into an altogether different person after they got married, as he was verbally abusive towards Patsy and pretty much lived off her money. He also had severe gambling problem, and it got to the point where the IRS planned to seize Patsy's assets in order to pay off Bob's tax debts. And there was pretty much a big turning point when Patsy became acquainted with a counselor who had worked with Robert and his previous wife, And even though this stuff is supposed to be confidential, the counselor flat out told Patsy Robert is a sociopath, so you should get away from him. And that's when they finally decided to divorce in nineteen eighty four after being married for only one year, and Patsy was even forced to obtain a restraining order against Robert because he was following her around and harassing her, and she even said that she saw him parked outside her house on numerous occasions. So obviously, on the surface, this guy looks like a compelling suspect.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, the guy is a stalker with major financial problems and to the point where Patsy's assets were going to get seized. He sounds horrible. He sounds financially abusive and potentially abusive in other ways. I can't even imagine what it was like for her to be married to him. I'm sure she was so happy to be free of him. I guess that spags the question was she ever truly free of him?
Speaker 1: And that's what's crazy, is the whole detail about the counselor, because they're supposed to keep this stuff like confidential, and she's flat out saying that, oh, based on my sessions with him and his first wife, you should leave him because he's a sociopath. Like ouch. That must show that he must have been really bad if the counselor was willing to do that.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. It's like that scene from Ghosts when Whoopie Goldberg, it's also popular meme is like you in danger girl.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's pretty much what it was like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, And it's like, I'm going to forego my ethical obligation here because it Maybe it was because she felt like he might commit a crime and that her physical wellbeing and emotional wellbeing could be harmed by him, because that's what he was capable of in the past. I think to breach those ethical obligations, you would have to feel like there was a reasonable expectation that harm could be brought to the party that you are then treating or that you're familiar with. I don't think that anybody would enter into disclosure of that information lightly. So I think it speaks to just how scary Robert Cox potentially was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's probably why the counselor decided to do that. Now, their divorce took place in nineteen eighty four, and Patsy's death took place three years after the fact, but he had recently re entered her life for a very off. Because wax museums are a big part of this story, it turned out that Robert actually owned his own wax museum before he got married to Patsy, because, like I said, they seemed to be insanely popular in Texas during the nineteen eighties. And this wax museum wound up being destroyed in a fire in February of nineteen eighty three. But because it wasn't particularly successful and Robert was in financial problems was in financial trouble at the time, the insurance company started believing that he may have started the fire himself. They refused to pay out Robert's claims, so he decided to file suit against them, and at the time of Patsy's death, a civil trial was about to take place over the matter, and Patsy apparently had some pretty incriminating information about financial misdeeds that Robert had committed during their marriage, and she was scheduled to testify against them in the insurance company's case. Robert apparently contacted Patsy on several occasions to convince her de line her testimony, which she refused to do because they left on such bad terms. So she's like, why am I going to help you? And of course, because Patsy wound up dying before she could testify, only ten days before the civil trial began, Robert had a motive for wanting her dead. And Robert did eventually wind up winning the civil trial and was awarded one point three million dollars as it cannot be conclusively proven that he started the fire. But of course the trial may have turned out differently if Patsy had been willing to testify. So, as you can imagine, alarm bells are going off over everyone's head.
Speaker 2: For Robert, well, it sounds like he's got one million, three hundred thousand reasons to want Patsy dead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, And unlike the other suspects in this case, Robert was not cooperative. He refused to take a polygraph, and Unsow Mysteries invited him to appear on the show to get his side of the story, but he refused to do an interview. So we were spared of Robert doing his best impression of Jewel Kaylor and trying to act like a bereaved husband and possibly saying that he was glad that Patsy was gone. But the one thing which could have gone against Robert was the presence of the two days plates on the tray next to Patsy's bed, Because they're thinking to themselves, Yeah, even if Patsy had like a secret lover was holding an affair and invited him over that night to have an intimate dinner together, there's zero chance that she would have done this with Robert. And they're also thinking, well, could it be possible that Robert broke into her house and poisoned the Nike will and maybe Patsy invited someone over and this guy left before she died, But no one ever came forward to admit that they had been at a residence that night, So they were thinking to themselves, like, could these dinner plates have been a piece of evidence that it wasn't Robert and that perhaps the real poisoner was someone that she was intimate with.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's a myriad of possibilities. There's still a possibility that she could have invited somebody over. That person came and they had an encounter and then had some food, and then they left and they had absolutely zero to do with the poisoning because we know that that key was stolen, So it doesn't mean that person had to be let in by Patsy. They could to potentially use that spare key at any time. And we also don't know if the bottle that was used is the bottle that she was using regularly and she took with her potentially camping. So it just changes the window by which this could have been done since we don't know the information about that bottle of nikewill, like, did she take a camping, We don't know, And so that really opens it up because we also don't know when that key went missing.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly, And like even if Patsy did have an intimate evening with someone, that doesn't necessarily rule out Robert from being responsible. And it fits the profile of someone who had intimate knowledge of her personal life because they were married for a year, so he would have known that it was her habit to take nike will before she went to bed. So he's thinking to himself, this is the best way to do it. Just put it in there. She's gonna take it without second thought, and then she will wind up dying of poisoning. And because he's been described as a cruel sociopath, he might be thinking, I'm going to do it in the most cruel way imaginable to ensure that she suffers before she died. So it really does fit his profile.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think both Steve and Robert are two men who are bad with finances, and they both make compelling suspects. But Robert Cox, based on past behavior, is in my opinion, the best suspect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because there's nothing to indicate that Steve was a violent, abusive person. So even if he had a financial motive to want or gone, it's totally the fact that they made Patsy suffer sounds like something devious that Robert would have done. So two other people who were investigated as potential suspects were Bill and Bonnie Alexander, the couple who boarded Patsy's horses, because the day before her death, she had written them a blank check and then shortly afterwards they filled in the amount for four thousand dollars and wound up cashing it, which was suspicious because the day before her death, a friend who was helping out Patsy with her finances, asked if she had any outstanding checks, and she told her friend that she did not. She never mentioned anything about the check to the Alexanders, which made them wonder if maybe they forged it and were trying to make money from her. And they also discovered that Patsy's horses were also in the Alexander's name, so they were going to inherit the horses following the death. So Bonnie's story was that Patsy gave them the check and told them to add up what she owed them and boarding and contest entry fees, and she also said that the horses were in their names because Patsy did not want Steve to get them in case something happened to her. Patsy's family also started hearing rumors that Bill may have been in love with Patsy and we're having some sort of secret affair and that either he killed Patsy to get the hands on the horses, or maybe a body killed her out of jealousy, because, as you recall, the day after Patsy was killed, her daughter received a phone call from an anonymous woman who said, good, I'm glad she's dead. But they never found any evidence to support that the Alexanders were involved. But they did find out that in the past, strychnine was sometimes used by horse breeders in order to treat their animals, but they couldn't find any evidence that Bill or Bonnie had access to strict nine. So they both took polygraphs and they both passed. So it could be kind of a mix here where the Alexanders were not involved in Patsy's death. But if Bill and Patsy had a secret affair, or maybe Bill was being flirtatious for Patsy that made Bonnie dislike her and she could have been the woman who was responsible for the anonymous phone call.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that one hundred percent checks out for me, because you would have to trust these people if you're going to put the horses in their names, because you don't want, you know, your acts to get them like it makes sense but it also would imply there would have to be a great deal of trust, and I would assume that, yes, technically they are in the Alexander's names, but if Patsy was going to pass away, the assumption would be they would go to her children, would it not?
Speaker 1: Pretty much? Yeah, So it's like, even though like they were in the Alexander's names, I guess because it was part of her state, it would still go to her children. And the Alexanders also weren't going to inherit like millions of dollars. They might get the horses, but they're not going to get anything else, So they didn't really have a strong motive to orchestrate this elaborate murder plot involving Strych nine.
Speaker 2: And like, I'm sorry for four thousand dollars. If you've got a blank check, four thousand dollars seems like an appropriate amount. Horses are expensive, so things add up quickly, and it might not have been something that crossed her mind when Patsy was asked about if she had any financial debts or anything coming or owed, and then when the Alexanders added it up, it was like, Okay, it's four thousand dollars that doesn't sound like an amount that you're going to murder somebody over. If it was like twenty grand that they put in there, I'd be like, oh, that's a little bit suspicious, But four grand isn't really raising my eyebrow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because that debsiditely sounds like an amount for boarding and contest entry fees, which is what Bonnie said. And they cashed it the day after her death, which was not widespread news yet. So if they were completely innocent, they may have had no idea that Patsy was dead and it was just an unfortunate coincidence that they cashed this check so soon after she died.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, I think if you were going to do that, you would almost want to cash it before she died because she wouldn't likely find out about it for you know, a day or two. Because of the banking in the nineteen eighties, it wasn't like it is today where you've got alerts come into your phone. So unless she went in, she might not know, and then you've got plausible deniability going, well, yeah, she was alive, she had the freedom to find this out prior to her death. So the fact that they did it, like the day after. That makes them almost look more innocent in my eyes, because it would be looked at as like almost like cartoon villain ish, like yeah, two ham handed.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I definitely don't believe that the Alexanders were involved in the murder, even though I think Bonnie was the one responsible for the phone call. She maybe just doing that just out of like personal reasons because of a disliked with Patsy, even if they were not complicit in her death. So, believe it or not, wax museums would factor into this story again. And this is when things get really crazy because in September of nineteen eighty eight, just under a year after Patsy's death, one of the family's wax museums in Grand Prairie, Texas, wound up burning down. This is the second wax museum in this story that wounds up burning down, and as a result, Sally wound up receiving a four million dollar insurance payout. So it was initially suspected that the fire might have been electrical, but there was evidence to suggests that it might have been an arson. And then on September the twenty fourth, just over two weeks after the fire took place, a man was seen combing through the debris of the museum, and when he noticed that the police were watching him, he picked up a financial ledger book from the museum's business office and took off running. As he ran away, he tossed this ledger into a nearby bush, so no one knows why he tried to take it to begin with. He wound up getting away in a car, but a police officer wound up taking down the car's license number, and it wound up being traced to a twenty two year old man named Stanley Lester Pointer. This guy was described as a drifter who would hold jobs for Barry brief periods of time before he moved on, and he also had a number of aliases in three different social Security numbers that he would use, so he kind of had a weird background because even though the jobs were low paying, he was able to live what was described as a comfortable lifestyle. And he also had one previous arrest on his record for arson, So people started wondering could he be irresponsible for this fire at Sally's Wax Museum and was he some freelance guy who just got hired to like burn down museums because they started thinking, what if Robert Cox hired this guy to burn down his own museum five years earlier.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, this wax museum connection is just like it's so intense. Okay, so we were our second wax museum that's burned to the ground, and I've got a wonder with all those wax figurines, does it just become like one giant candle on the floor.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm thinking because I've seen the movie House of Wax, the one with Vincent Price, yeah, and the remake with Paris Hilton, and they have lots of scenes where the museums are burning down and then they're melting, and I think there's a big revelation because they would use real people underneath the wax. And then when the fire starts and melts and you realize, oh, those aren't wax statues, those are human beings. So you have this visual of it melting. So I have to assume that the same thing happened in these fires.
Speaker 2: Have you ever been to a wax museum.
Speaker 1: I have, Yes, They're usually a lot of fun. They have them in Niagara Falls, And I also love memes sometimes where people will post photos of moll rent wax museums where they use statues of like real life famous persons, but they look nothing like them. So you'll like see photos of like someone like trying to think here someone like Mick Jagger, but he looks like mister Bean because of like such a terrible job.
Speaker 2: I went to Madame Tussau's in London and they were incredibly lifelike. It was wild the representation with wax, Like how close some of them could get. I mean there was the odd one where like they didn't really capture the essence, but some of them were like bang on.
Speaker 1: Yes, I've been there as well, and I know that's one of the most high quality wax museums around. And I have to assume that Patsy's were pretty good if she was making like millions of dollars on them. So under normal circumstances, there wouldn't be any reason to believe this wax museum fire had anything to do with Patsy's death. But when this fire made the news, a woman got in touch with police with some interesting information. She claimed that years earlier, in September of nineteen eighty four, a twenty six year old receptionist at one of Patsy's museums named Lorie Anne Williams suddenly went home sick in the middle of her shift, but her illness got so bad that she was taken to the hospital. It was initially believed that she had appendicitis, but when they removed her appendix, they found out that it was perfectly healthy, and she wound up staying in the hospital for eleven days before she suddenly died, and they were never able to determine her cause of death. They just thought it might have been viral pneumonia that she contracted during complications from surgery, because she seemed to be an ordinary, healthy, twenty six year old woman on the surface. But this informant told the police that Laurie may have been the victim of strychnine poisoning, and because Patsy died under similar circumstances three years later, this woman was now thinking that the police should reopen the investigation into Lourie's death.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's an interesting connection. Didn't you say that there was only like two deaths that were linked to strychnine in like that certain time period.
Speaker 1: It was, yeah, like since nineteen fifty, I don't know what the other one was that Robert Stack was referring to. And because they couldn't conclusively determine that Laurie's death was strict nine, it has never been officially classified as one, but at the time in nineteen eighty four, they just thought it was health reasons. But then they realized that she used to work for Patsy at her wax museum, and they both died under similar circumstances. They start thinking, maybe we should take a second look at Lori's death.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, this is feeling very like do you know the actor's Britney Murphy, Yes, and how she died under mysterious circumstances of the pneumonia or whatever, and then six months later her husband died of the exact same cause of death in that home, and then trying to figure out what was the root cause. Why do they both die of the exact same cause of death, and there's all of these conspiracy theories.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's probably the similar type of thing here where Back when Laurie originally died, they're not going to be thinking strychnine poisoning, but because of her connection with Patsy, they wanted to take a second look at it. In nineteen eighty nine, Patsy's family decided to hire a very famous Texas based private investigator named William Dear, who looked into Lorient's death and became suspicious and wondered if she may have been poisoned with strychnine as well, and that maybe this was done to scare Patsy because Patsy had stumbled onto something sinister which was taking place at the museum back in nineteen eighty four, even though the police found no evidence of this. Now, I will add the disclaimer that William Dear is quite an infamous individual. He has worked on a lot of cases, but I have personally worked with one family who hired him and has said nothing but bad things to say about him. They pretty much just said he took our money, he spouted a bunch of conspiracy theories, but he didn't actually do anything or uncover any conclusive evidence. And William Dear has also published the book OJ Is Innocent and I Can Prove It, where he claims that Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman were actually murdered by OJ's son, Jason Simpson, and that OJ only covered the crime up, He did not actually commit the murders. And I know that he published a book and they did a TV special about it, but most people who followed that case do not really believe it that theory.
Speaker 2: I've heard of this book and I've heard of him, and I think that it's absolutely egregious to suggest that it was the Sun and not OJ. But okay, you do.
Speaker 1: You And if you want more credibility issues with William Dear, do you remember the TV special from the nineteen nineties Alien Autopsy. Yes, well, he was interviewed on that and actually did interviews and tried to pass off the autopsy is legitimate, but of course it turned out to be nothing more than a hoax. So it's like, if you're going to hire someone to look into the murder of one of your family men member, I might not hire the investigator who agreed to be interviewed on alien autopsy.
Speaker 2: Definitely not That lends to the type of credibility that he has, which would be like very little. I feel so terrible for families that have to deal with people like this when they're in a vulnerable situation and somebody will predate on that and they will use it as an opportunity to line their pockets while this poor family has these high hopes and they're really not doing the work. We saw that with the Amuln Bradley case as well.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah yeah, Like a lot of grifters like will pretend to be private investigators and say that they're going to uncover answers about what happened to their missing and murdered loved ones, but in actuality they're just taking the money and not leading anywhere. But in spite of Deer's credibility issues, he did manage to successfully lobby for Lorien's body to be exhumed and they did a new autopsy and if toxicological evaluation found no trace of strychnine or arsenic inner system. But deer It says that this wasn't conclude of evidence that Laurie was not murdered because he believed that the poison may have exited her body before her death because she was in the hospital for eleven days following her medical issues, and he believed that intravenous solutions may have taken the strych nine out of her body before she died. They did find minute traces of it in her body, but it was not enough to be harmful. But my issue with that is strychnine is usually like a fast acting poison, Like even though you will suffer for like twenty to thirty minutes, you're not usually going to live for eleven days afterwards. So that's why I have trouble believing that Laurie was poisoned with strychnine, Like there might be another like weird suspicious reason for her death, but I don't think that she actually ingested strick nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm not aware of how long strychnine will stay in the body tissues and if the body is able to detoxify like through its various pathways something like strychnine over that day, like eleven day period, like it's a pretty protracted period. And then if it was like a death over a day or something like that would make more sense unless the dose was just so small and whomever did this, if it was connected to the Wax Museum, they learned their lesson not to give such a small dose of strychnine and to up the dose, and then that's why Patsy had basically enough to bring down a horse in her nicwell.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because they said that she had enough in there to kill at least eight or nine people, So if Laurie was poisoned, it's possible she got a much smaller amount. But on also the fact she got exhumed like five years after her death, so even if she did have like strychnine in her system, it's possible it still wouldn't have been there after all that time. So I don't rule out the possibility of foul play in Laurie's case, but I'm not entirely sure if it's connected to Patsy's.
Speaker 2: Death, and I think that there's a possibility too if the dose was really small, if the poison caused damage to all the various different organ systems in the body, it could have just hit like the point of critical mass on that you know, day eleven or twelve, and then she may have died because who knows, like her liver gave out, or her kidneys gave out, or her heart or some combination. Maybe it was a vascular issue. I don't know what type of potential damage that poison could have caused throughout all of her systems, but there is a possibility that it could have been cleared out of her system, and then what remained was just the damage to that poison had done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is certainly possible, but people have never been able to figure out, like if Lori Anne was murdered, like what the motive could have been, because obviously this was three years before Patsy's death, and Dear's theory that they poison Laurie just to scare Patsy doesn't really ring true because like, if she had uncovered something illegal back in nineteen eighty four, why did she tell anyone about it? Why did she just move on with her life for the next three years before she died under suspicious circumstances, And that sounds.
Speaker 2: Like a big leap to just murder somebody to scare somebody else like that could bring so much suspicion and so much heat onto you. It's a huge risk.
Speaker 1: And if that was the motive, it obviously didn't work because at the time they just figured it was an unrelated medical issue and they didn't suspect that Laurie had been murdered, so obviously it didn't drive home the message to scare Patsy. But sure enough, only two weeks after this new autopsy was done, they finally found Stanley Pointer, who, as you recall, they had captured his license plate when he was speeding away from the site of the museum fire, but it took like a year to finally track him down, and he was working as a student mortician at the time of his arrest. Because it sounds like he's a guy who would just like move around from job to job until he got a big payout setting fires to wax museums. What a very interesting life he led. But by this point, like Lourie's death and Patsy's death were in the news, so they started looking at Pointer as a potential suspect, and they also questioned him about the museum fire, and he claimed that, yes, I did visit the side of the fire, and I did remove the ledger, but I only thought it was a museum piece. So that's why I threw the ledger away, because I mistakenly thought it was an art fact and then realized they didn't need it. But this didn't really ring true because in order to find this ledger, you had to go past several other artifacts, climb onto a chair, and get the ledger from a shelf. So it seemed very likely that he was trying to get this particular item, but no one could figure out why. And he said that he ran from the police out of fear but did not know that they were still searching for him. And he denied any involvement in the fire or the deaths and said that he had no connection to the museum, And he was given a polygraph test and he claimed that he passed, but the police never confirmed or denied this, and four days later he was released on bond because even though they were able to charge him with minor crimes, they found no evidence that he was behind the arsonary the deaths, so they couldn't hold him indefinitely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I find his involvement to be such a strange element that it is possible that Robert Cox hired him initially to burn down his wax museum, and that Sally's wax museum. He could have been hired to burn that down as well. Who knows if he was in their circle somehow or somehow connected to somebody that they knew, because I just don't think that there's any way, shape or form, but he just randomly got that ledger and he knew exactly where it was. It's not like it's just this random piece that he just stumbled across, Like you had to know where that was. So somebody that had access to the financial ledger and knew where it was kept would have had to have given explicit instructions.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm thinking as well, And it makes you wonder a pointer like I don't think he would be acting alone. I think that if you wanted to get that ledger, or someone hired him to do it and they were going to try to make a case against him for arson. But this is another suspicious detail. The original fire file from the fire, even though it was put in a locked fire drawer at the Grand Prairie Fire Department and mysteriously wound up going missing even though it was in a locked drawer inside a locked room. So people started wondering was there some sort of conspiracy or cover up to try to like cover up the real reason for this fire. So in the end, the only a charge that the grand jury could file against Proner was criminal trust pass because all they had was evidence that he went onto the sealed off museum site to steal something, but no evidence that he started the fire. So he was convicted on criminal trust pass and I think received a sense of probation before he was released.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's too bad because it seems clear that I don't know if he was connected to any murders or anything like that, but it seems that he's definitely connected to the arson in some capacity, and so was he connected to Cox? Was he connected to Sally and Steve? I mean, when you can't fully dig in to Pointer her, it's really hard to know. But it seems that this was not a coincidence.
Speaker 1: Well, sure enough, this would not be the end of Stanley Pointer in this story, because in December of nineteen ninety a fire was deliberately set in the bathroom of a church youth center in Austin, Texas, and because Poyter just happened to be living in the area at the time, he wound up being questioned, but he gave investigators a false name before he disappeared, so they issued a warrant for his arrest because they apparently found enough evidence that he was responsible for this fire that they could finally charge him with arson and theft. So he remained a fugitive for the next four months. But in April of nineteen ninety one, an off duty police officer was directing traffic at an intersection in Dallas when Poyter just happened to drive up next to it, and the officer signaled him to stop the car. Now, at the time, the officer had no idea who he was. He didn't know that this was a wanted fugitive, but it caused Poyter to panic, so he literally hit the accelerator and drove right into the police officer and continued driving with the officer still on his hood. But the officer then pulled out his gun and fired six shots through the windshield while Poyter was driving. This is like a scene in an action movie with someone like firing shots into the driver from the hood, and thankfully, the officer wound up surviving, but Poynter was killed instantly, and when they checked his items from his residence, they found out that he had one way tickets from Mexico to Dallas. So they're wondering what was this guy up to? What was this guy doing, And unfortunately, because he was dead, they were never able to thoroughly question him and find out if he might have had any involvement in the museum fires or any involvement in Lori or Patsy's deaths.
Speaker 2: Wow, So he dies and leaves his huge mystery in like an Israel Keys type fashion.
Speaker 1: And it seems like because he would work these freelance jobs where his regular jobs would pay well, but he would seem to have a lot of money, like he would live in like fancy apartments. He apparently had a lakefront property somewhere in Texas, and no one could figure out where this money was coming from, leading to speculation that he was hired to burn down these wax museums. But they also thought if maybe Robert Cox or someone was the perpetrator, could he have hired Pointer to break into Patsy's house and put the Stryck nine in the cold medicine, So it could be a thing where someone else masterminded it. But Pointer was the guy who actually put the poison in the bottle. But unfortunately, because he died before he could be thoroughly questioned about it, they were unable to implicate him or anyone else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's possible that he could have been a contract killer and a contract arsonist and he just took on these menial jobs as a way to have some kind of cover because it Definitely, something is definitely not lining up. When you're looking at a lake front property and somebody who's essentially described as a drifter who's making what I would assume to be minimum wage or less than minimum wage. There is something else going on and something else at play here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so, but not surprised me. Like it's possible Pointer is just a red herring who has nothing to do with Patsy's death, but the fact that he keeps popping up and having associations with all these people in the story makes me think that he could have been complicit somehow. So obviously we think Robert Cox is the best suspect, but he died in October of twenty twenty one at the age of ninety one without implicating him in this murder, and some of the other people in Patsy's life, like husband Bill Wright and her former boyfriend Leo Fikes, have also passed away. But one other thing I wanted to mention is that if you go to the Unsolved Mysteries profile page for this case and also the Unsolved Mysteries message board at the sitcoms online for him, you'll find a poster there who put up claims that Patsy was having an affair with a coworker at the horse ranch who often used strict nine to poison rats, And they pretty much posted the same thing at both the message board and the profile page, so even though they used different usernames, I'm pretty sure this is the same person. And he also said that this person left town shortly after Patsy's death, but he just doesn't remember this person's name. Now. Of course, we talked about how there was rumors that maybe Patsy was having an affair with Bill Alexander, but the wording of this guy's comments makes me think he was talking about someone else, someone who has never thoroughly investigated that Patsy may have been having an affair with. And theoretically, if this was true, maybe she invited this guy over to her house on the night of her death. This person used the opportunity to put the Strych nine in her cough medicine before leaving the scene and locking the door, and then they were long gone by the time Stevens Sally showed up, and because he fled town, he may never have been thoroughly questioned by law enforcement. And I know this is just like anonymous comments on a message board. But I do find this sphery kind of intriguing that she might have been having in a secret affair with someone who had access to strychnine the horse farm, but because they were never formally questioned, they just never popped up on the radar as a suspect.
Speaker 2: That's really fascinating. But I would just wonder in that case if it was indeed somebody Patsy was having an affair with what would be their motor for poisoning her and then skipping town.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the thing is that this person never gained anything from her death. So that's why I think like Robert Cox looks like a more likely suspect. Because she died, she couldn't testify against him at the Sable trial, which took place a short time later. Eddie wound up collecting over one million dollars from his arson fire because they couldn't prove that he did it. So I guess it depends. I definitely still think that Robert is the best suspect, but the only thing holding me back is the presence of the dinner plates, Like, I don't know if that's a red herring and suggests that Patsy had someone else at her house that night who maybe used this opportunity to kill her. And if it was just a coincidence, if someone poisoned the Strych nine bottle before this and the guy just happened to leave like before Patsy died, why didn't this person come forward. Was he just worried that he would be accused of a murder, or maybe maybe he was married, Maybe he was in a relationship with someone else and didn't want to admit that he had an affair with Patsy even if he was completely innocent ever murder.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm thinking. If the person that she was having an affair with was themselves in a relationship or married, they might not want to touch this with a ten foot pool. They might not want to talk to law enforcement because they don't want to be implicated in any way, and they also don't want to blow up their own relationship. So there can be a lot of motives that have nothing to do like a lot of underlying motives for them holding back that have nothing to do with the fact that this person had anything to do with the crime. I agree with you. I think Robert Cox is the very best suspect here. Jeeve is a good suspect because there was something financially to be gained and power within the the Wax Museums to be gained with Patsy's death. But I think based on Robert Cox's behavior and volatility and stalking, he seems like the most likely perpetrator here because we look at his past behavior, he seems like the type of person that might do that. He'd asked Patsy to lie, she said she wasn't going to lie, and then in the end he got one million, three hundred thousand, which, like in today's money, would be double that. So you're looking at well over two million dollars close to three in purchasing power. So I would think that that would be a pretty good motive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And he does seem like someone who would have a DNA devius enough mind to do something like that, because, as we talked about, it's very difficult to have pain strict nine in the nineteen eighties unless you got it on the black market or maybe you stole it from a labisum sort. But he seems like someone who already had a history of shady behavior to brainstorm something like that, thinking that I can put it in her cough medicine like long beforehand, and I will have an airtight alibi placing me away from the scene, and then I will manage to get away with it. And if that is what happened, then it technically was true because he got to live a long life. He lived to the age of ninety one before he died of natural causes, so if he was the perpetrator, he will never be prosecuted for it. So he essentially got away with the perfect crime. But do you think that Stanley Pointer might have been involved, because I'm inclined to think that maybe Steve hired him to burn down the wax museum one year later. But I'm on the fence about whether that's just a coincidence that has nothing to do with Patsy's case, or if Pointer might have been hired to break into her house and put the strict nine in her cough medicine.
Speaker 2: I'm less inclined to believe that, but I do believe that he was hired potentially by Steve to burn down a wax museum because knowing where that financial ledger is, you have to be familiar with somebody who has access to know exactly where that is and to know what to look for. So he had some inside knowledge and I believe that wholeheartedly. But as far as being involved in Patsy's murder, I'm on the fence, but like I'm leaning towards less inclined to believe that he's the person that broke in and spiked the Niqwell.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like it would make sense because Robert knew so many intimate details about Patsy's life. She knew she would have taken Nikewell, he may have been able to find out where the spare key was and then used it to enter while she was away and then put it in there. And also the fact that he had his own museum fire that took place years earlier, and Patsy was going to testify against him. So I find it crazy that the whole wax museum fire involving Sally's museum with Stanley Pointer and the wax museum fire involving Robert might be two separate incidents which have nothing to do with each other, which just goes to show if anyone listening out there is running a wax museum right now, watch yourself, because it a apparently is a cutthroat business in which people are killing each other and starting fires to collect insurance money.
Speaker 2: My god, who would have thought it's like the drug game or something like that, like the wax museum game. There's some kind of nefarious undercurrent. Or were those the horse syndicate?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, we talked about that on previous thing, where like these mob guys were using a racetrack and like a horse farm as like a cover up for their criminal activities and were able to sustain it for like decades before they were caught. So yeah, Sadly, I'm not sure this one will ever be solved because, like I said, Robert Cox passed away, so even if they were able to uncover incriminating evidence to prove that he did it, he will obviously never be prosecuted for it. And obviously, the people that I feel most badly for are Patsy's children, because they had a great relationship with her, and even though they wound up inheriting her estate, it sounds like they truly love their mother and miss her, and it's sad that they will never see or get justice. So any further thoughts on the murder of Patsy Wright.
Speaker 2: This was a really interesting case, and I really had no idea that wax museum fires were so common, and you really triggered something when you brought up House of Wax. I haven't seen the original, but I've seen the Paris Hilton version and then I just got creepy flashbacks. So this is a real tragedy, and I do believe that Robert Cox is the best suspect. I think there's a possibility that Steve could have been responsible, but based on what Robert was going through at the time and what he was asking of Patsy, it seems like he had a pretty clear cut and dry motive for wanting her dad.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I guess the way I should conclude this episode is that after this in the Springfield three case, stay clear of people named Robert Cox.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's fair.
Speaker 1: So that about brings an end to our series on the Murder of Patsy Wright. Thank you so much for joining us, and we will be back again next week for a series about another case.
Speaker 3: Robin, do you want to tell us a little bit about the Trail Went Cold Patreon?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: Yes, The Trail Cold Patreon has been around for three years now. We offer these standard bonus features like early ad free episodes, and I also send out stickers and sign thank you cards to anyone who signs up with us on Patreon. If you join our five dollars tier Tier two, we also offer monthly bonus episodes in which I talk about cases which are not featured on the Trail Went Cold's original feed, so they're exclusive to Patreon and if you join our highest tier tier three, the ten dollar tier. One of the features we offer is a audio commentary track over classic episodes of Unsolved Mysteries, where you can download an audio file and then boot up the original Unsolved Mysteries episode on Amazon Prime or YouTube and play it with my audio commentary playing in the background, where I just provide trivia and factoids about the cases featured in this episode. And incidentally, the very first episode that I did a commentary track over was the episode featuring this case. So if you want to download a commentary track in which I make more smart ass remarks about Jewel Kaylor, then sure to join Tier three.
Speaker 4: So I want to let you know a little bit about the Jules and Nashty patreons. So there's early ad free episodes of the Path Went chili. We've got our Pathwent Chili mini's, which are always over an hour, so they're not very mini, but they're just too short to turn into a series, and we're really enjoying doing those, so we hope you'll check out those patreons.
Speaker 3: We'll link them in the show notes.
Speaker 1: So I want to thank you all for listening, and any chance you have to share us on social media with a friend or to rate and review is greatly appreciate it. You can email us at the Pathwentchili at gmail dot com. You can reach us on Twitter at the Pathwin. So until next time, be sure to bundle up because cold trails and chili pass call for warm clothing.
Speaker 3: Music by Paul Rich from the podcast Cold Callers Comedy