Speaker 1: All right, we are up and running here in the eight o'clock hour. It is Kentucky and it's Morning News with Coffee and company here on News Radio eight forty whas Nick coffee with you. If you are just now joining us, Welcome aboard. Been a busy morning thus far. There was a explosion last night in Jeffersonville at a home that led to five people being injured, and as of right now, what we know is that of those five people, two were taken to an nearby hospital via helicopter, while three of them were taken via ambulance. At this point, there's no sign as to what caused that just yet. Obviously they're going to do an investigation. But a neighbor talked to the reporters on site after the explosion and said that they did see at least two of those individuals that were leaving had some serious burns on their bodies. So scary situation, of course, and obviously we'll find that eventually what they discover led to this explosion. But it has impacted some traffic out there in Jeffersonville as Greater Clark Ketty schools or back to school today. So at eight o'clock I feel like you're probably already there, but I don't know. Maybe the school schedule is different for in fact, it is different for a lot of different schools. But regardless, it has caused some delays in getting to jeffersonvill High School. And I think it also may have actually led to some people needing to be rerouted, so just to just be advised of that. Also something else we talked about earlier. We have another big corporation here in Louisville that employees many people that is offering an early retirement. And this news can be met in a variety of ways based on the employer's situation. So I don't want to act like this is the worst thing ever, but Humana is now is now offering it looks like I don't know how many are qualified, meaning how many fit this criteria, but the qualifications are you must be fifty years and older and have worked at human If for at least three years. They say this is part of their broader transformation agenda. They're trying and reduce costs and modernize operations. And again I can see this being a real worry for those who maybe realize that they have a job that they are comfortable in and being able to obtain a very similar job with a similar setup as far as salary, insurance and all that. It might be difficult, or there could be some that have maybe they're nearing retirement and this gives them an early exit and they can maybe find something to do to help to help sustain the same type of salary they were making with, you know, a job that doesn't pay quite as much, but they can get by with whatever the offering is within with this early retirement. But over the years in Louisville, there have been many employers that have that have offered this. In fact, recently there were voluntary buyouts for ups drivers full time drivers nationally. But the first time ever were offered an early buyout, you had also, this wasn't much, This wasn't really This was a little bit of a different situation. But Brown Foreman they had a big reduction in their in their workforce and that was layoffs with severance included. It's a little bit different there because sometimes you'll see you'll see employers like Humana, ups Ford, Brown form and they'll roll out early retirement packages or voluntary buyouts, and it's not just to cut cost it's really strategic. I mean, these companies aren't always collapsing. When that happens, it's I think, at times more of a recalibration. So when you look at the early retirement incentives, it will quietly give you the ability to trim the head count without bad optics of a mass layoff. And they target clearly people who make a lot of money and people that have been there a long time, because again you're getting rid of a big salary potentially, and if you're a long tenured worker, you may be itching to get that offer to retire early. So again, these things can help reduce expenses and it can help you, I guess, avoid any kind of legal pitfall or maybe even like a union pushback if we're talking about an employer like Ford. So it's not always just a complete blum and doom situation, but you know, sometimes it is, and it can be a scary thing for many. I'm sure. I go back to when Ford offered their Way Forward restructuring plan back in two thousand and six. I have a lot of friends who had parents that worked at Ford, which some of them even moved to this area because of the opportunities you had at a place like Ford working at the plants, and I just remember it being a talking thing. It was just talked about in our community where I grew up, just because it was a scary sign for the future of Ford at that time. And also there were some that just took it because they were giving you I think it was up to one hundred thousand dollars and a seven spuyout for workers that were going to relinquish their future benefits and I think they could keep their pension. So they've also done another one not that long ago at Ford where in twenty twenty four, in the beginning of the year, they offered I think it was a fifty thousand dollar lump summer retirement buy out, and it was a program that was for those that were you know, that were eligible. You had to be at least thirty years of service, which again that's a long stretch and you could you know, or you could be yeah, here it is thirty years of service at any age, or you could be fifty five years old with ten plus years of service, sixty five with one plus year of service. So again, some of these things are more so strategic and you're recalibrating than it is about, you know, an epic downfall. But again, I'm sure if you get that email that Humana employees got yesterday, those that are eligible, I'm sure it puts some fear into you, and I totally get it. A lot of uncertainty right now with the economy for a variety of reasons, and certainly the tariffs play a role in that as well, which by the way, we'll talk about that coming up here at eight thirty with Roy O'Neil of NBC News. All right, let's get an update on traffic and weather, not Royalis. That's I just combined two humans. I combined Royalis, Rory. I combined Rory O'Neill and Bobby. They are two different people and we appreciate both of them. And it'll be Bobby that gives us the update on traffic right here, right now, And there's Radio eight forty whas are you calling me out? John Alden? This is one you did not I know, And I feel bad because I love I love Montgomery Gentry. I mean this was so early two thousands. Country music is now like old to classic country music. Yeah, there's a new format that is growing in markets, meaning they're just it's now becoming a bigger thing. And it is nineties in two thousands country, which again, this to me doesn't seem old old, but it is. This song is probably twenty every bit of twenty years old, and uh, it takes me back to I mean, I know they're not from I know the Lexington Eddie Montgomery's from Danville, Bowl County. Oh yeah, it's actually Boyle County. Change. It gets your old change in Bowl County. But uh, and then I believe his partner, who of course tragically passed away in a helicopter crash. I believe he was from Nicholasville, which is which is right around Lexington. So yeah, they're Kentucky boys and they I mean, I love Montgomery gentry, and they I feel like had their peak. And maybe that's insulting to say, because I don't know this for certain, but I feel like when they were having consistent radio hits in rotation, it was around the time like when I got my license and I was driving for the first time. And I mean, was that song. I mean, it's phenomenal And the reason I asked if John called me out. We played a clip earlier of Luke Comb's on a podcast with Barstool Sports where they asked him which state produces the best country music, and sure enough, he said Kentucky, which I thought that he would go with Carolina because that's where he's from, and clearly there's a lot of talent from there as well, Luke Colmb's of certainly Eric Church and others, but he said Kentucky and just talked about how indeniable the talent is with Keith Whitley, Tyler Childers, Sergel Simpson, and obviously Chris staple To, and then there's many more. We talked about many of those, and I did leave out Montgomery Gentry and I feel bad now because I I mean, I could literally there's probably I don't even I'm sure they have the greatest hits album that was released. It they don't. There's probably a playlist created on Spotify and whatnot, and I could go start to finish and and it'll take me back to a to a you know, a time that was a lot of fun. And they when I think of them, I do think Kentucky. Like when I hear them and I'm enjoying one of the many hits they've had, It's pretty common for me to just at some point in the song, you know, have the realization, Yeah, these guys are from Kentucky and that's and that's pretty awesome. You you guy could pull off one of those hats, Toady Montgomery wears, Oh yeah, you got to do it. I like how he would like twist the mic stand too. Whatever. Oh yeah, he was a performer, man, he's a showman. Yeah. And he's also got a he's got it. He's got a sound that's just you know, I don't know what I would compare it to, but maybe maybe it's rare because there's not real anybody to compare it to him. It sounds good. He's a great singer, but I feel like he is. His image and the sound it is very relatable to the common working man, if that makes sense. Like he's got just enough of the modern country that was big at that time, but a little blue collar in him as well. They were kind of the transition almost between the two and man, they're great. So thank you for thank you for playing to Montgomery gentry, and I deserve to be called out even if you weren't intending to do that. I'll do it to myself. All right. We got another update of tracking the weather coming your way. And also we will have another sports update with Scott Fitzgerald. Rory O'Neil set to join us at eight thirty. We'll talk about the latest onn What we're looking at with the interest rates is the light at the end of the tunnel. Rory can tell us that. And also what else are we going to chat about with Rory? I forget you know what to expect with Roory O'Neal, and it's nothing but the best, and he'll be with us here before too long right here on news RADI waate forty whas look with the cat drug in it's mister Tony Venetti, what up joining me here in studio news radioaight forty wa h as we were wrapping things up here before too long and then we'll hand it off to Tony and Dwight so Brooks, how of course, is awaiting sentencing, likely going to get life in prison. And the woman that he is has been found guilty of murdering is Crystal Rogers and they have a child together and the custody battle for this child is one as a parent myself and you also are a parent. I just I this is tricky although I think it would be a no. I don't think there'd be any discussion. But the sister of Brooks how let me get her name here, she's She's to be clear, she's not. She was not accused of conspiring to to to kill Crystal Rodgers or cover it up. But what she was brought up in the in the in the case for during the during the trial, I should say, is because she was she brought a digital recorder into the grand jury because she claims she felt paranoid and there was no conspiracy to have everybody consistently have the same story. But that's why she got brought up that she was. I guess apparently part of you know, helping everybody maintain consistency in their story. But nonetheless, she's the sister of Brooks Howck, and she has filed for permanent custody of this child. And I think the scenario where a family member of Brooks Howck has full time custody of this kid is not insane, but I do think it is. It would really depend upon their how close they are to the family. That again, there's only been one family member that's going to prison as a child. It's a miner. I'm gonna imagine it's probably ten ten years old, So John Shannon's with us in here. So again, like the thought of the custody of this child, if I look put it this way, if I am Crystal Roger's mother who has had has been in previous custody battles with Rosemary hawk for this child, that's what that was Brooks as well. Yes, so the custody battle in recent years has been between Sherry Ballard, Crystal's mother, and Rosemary Hawk, Brook's mother, and then in twenty twenty three his sister, Rhonda micklvoy. She ended up getting temporary custody and now she wants full time custody, claiming that this is because of some permanency and stability is why she claims this child should be with her permanently. But if you are Crystal Rogers's mother, Sherry Ballad or the Rogers family, I just I feel a level of just discussed knowing that this child currently and could potentially full time be in the custody of someone who most people would have a hard time believing that they were not aware that they put together a plan to murder the mom.
Speaker 2: From what I've read the howks did a lot of worked really hard to try to keep Sherry a Ballad from even having like visitation with this child.
Speaker 3: Time out, time out of it. Right, Look, this child is the piece that has been lost in every conversation about this case.
Speaker 1: Yes, most people probably didn't know they had of kid together.
Speaker 3: Bartstown needs to wrap their arms around this child.
Speaker 2: His name is Eli.
Speaker 3: I'm not even mentioning names. It is going to need all the help he can get because his mother's dead and his dad killed her. Yeah, so let's all take a step back. And I know it's a cliche, but this will take a village and Bargetown, I think, is a place that will step up to wrap their arms around this child. Yes, because he's going to need all of us to help him. And we know these Look and this happens more. This is a Salacia's crazy story that made national news, but it happens all the time in Louisville. Dad killed mom. I grew up that way, and it happens. It happens all the time. I mean players at U of L. How many times does a player come in from Florida that were raised by an aunt or uncle or foster Holmes that my mom killed my dad or my dad killed my mom, and this is how I grew up. And now they're running back at Louisville. So again, refocus. I don't know who should get the child, but I'm with you. I know that my sister should, yeah, probably get I don't know how this system works, but that doesn't sound right just from the onset, well, because it doesn't sound right because it just.
Speaker 1: The scenario where this sister clearly considering that the Hawks, they're a strong and powerful family, that that clearly had they took out. I mean, I guess at this point it's only Brooks that has been convicted of this, but obviously the unindicted co conspirators are his brother and his mother, and again his sister's not accused of anything other than just recording their conversations leading up to the grand jury. But I get I just think if you're in Bargetown and you are of the belief that this this woman had no clue and did not know any way that the family was involved in her murder and disappearance, or maybe even the plan to take it out, I just think you're probably in the minority.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, you would think that the how family again, in a perfect world, would just say, we just want what's best for the child. If it's just financial means, that's fine with us. We want to have a uh, we want to have an experience. It's with him in his life some way, And it really I wish in the perfect world there was a mediator that they both trusted that would sit down and go, let's not do this in the court, Let's look each other in the eye. Let's move past this. For Eli's sake. Sure this again, I'm lollipops and rainbow in this, which is.
Speaker 2: That's unusual.
Speaker 3: But I wish for him because I'm sitting here thinking it's going to be so tough for him because he's always going to be that story will always be attached to him in Kentucky. And you know, in a perfect world, I'd love for if he had a relative that lives somewhere else, he's going to start over and not be that kid.
Speaker 2: When he was. To your point, when he becomes a teenager and goes back and reads about all of this and finds out what is in his face.
Speaker 3: He's ten, he knows he knows some.
Speaker 2: Of them, but he'll get older and read the details.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm pretty sure he probably knows a lot, but he I wish he could start over somewhere else. But that's a perfect world. But I wish someone would that they both trusted, could sit down with the mediator that they both trusted and said, all right, let's move pat this, we get it now, let's let's let's figure out what's saying.
Speaker 1: Take away, just the huge part of this whole story is that the mother was murdered and the dad is now in waiting life sentence. There are people who have a real nastiness about child custody in general. You throw this element to where the child could end up with the family, where again two undicted co conspirators and the actual convicted murderer they still have. I mean that just I could see that being just a crazy thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there are family judges that live in our neighborhood. Maybe we get one of them on the air because they deal with this stuff every single day, and they could tell you stories are maybe not similar, because this is crazy, but but yeah, it might be a good thing. It's a great question to ask. The aftermath and collateral damage of Eli and his last name's Hawk.
Speaker 1: That sounds like a book. Huh, that sounds like a book. It does. Well, let's get let's get to it. Well. I think when it comes to those questions that you would ask somebody who does this every day and deals with those kinds of things, you just know you're making one of two decisions, and both are potentially dangerous and.
Speaker 3: Book you're right, Eli Howe collateral A yeah, there we go, There we go.
Speaker 1: We're out of town. Tony Dwaiter coming next right here on news radio waight forty whas