Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Western SIP. Today we're going to be having a fun and really sort of different experience. I received an email from a publicist, as I often do, inquiring as to whether or I'd be interested in talking to Aman vergi amon Is. He's a lot of things. He's he's a lawyer, he's an economist, he is a brilliant guy, and he's and he has a book coming out and the link is available in the show notes, so if you want to pre order it, I already have mine. You can go ahead and click that link and take care of it. And we're going to talk about a lot of stuff, but really what the conversation is going to focus around is going to be bubbles and having a conversation about how how financial bubbles happen.
Speaker 2: What is a.
Speaker 1: Bubble and what should we be on the lookout for today, because a lot of you are thinking, oh my gosh, what was AI a bubble? This is a question that I asked him as well. And so we're going to have that conversation and I think it's a little bit of a different interview, but it's still very illustrative in our overall goal of increasing the importance of history and history education. So I hope you enjoy it. Without further ado. After a couple of quick messages, here's the interview. All right, welcome back, And as I said before in the introduction, I'm sitting down with somebody a little.
Speaker 2: Bit different today. This is Aman Virgie.
Speaker 1: We're going to talk about some of his experiences during the two thousand and eight recession, the crash that revolves around the Lehman Brothers, and really get into a little bit of economics, which, as you guys know from listening to the show, is some that's of intense interest to me and obviously of interest to you since you're listening to this right now. So I want to just kind of jump in and see if you can set the stage for us. You graduated from Harvard Law School, you're working at Lehman Brothers, and what position were you in when two thousand and eight starts to hit, Like, what kind.
Speaker 2: Of information do you have access to?
Speaker 1: What is your overall impression of what's starting to happen, as what we know is the recession is beginning to unfold, just beginning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sure, let me give you just my background to make sure we got the timeline right. So I worked at Lehman Brothers in the late nineteen nineties, so this was probably ten years before the two thousand and eight crash, and then it went to law school at Harvard, and I was on my way back to Wald Street naturally got a job offer from Peter Teel, who I knew from I was an undergrad at Stanford when he was at the law school, so we didn't exactly overlap, but we ran in a lot of the same circles. So when he started PayPal, he offered me a job, and eventually I ended up at PayPal in two thousand and two and beyond. But I did stay very close to a lot of my colleagues and friends at Lehman Brothers who had worked there during those late during that period in the late nineteen nineties when I was there, and so I got a pretty good glimpse of what was going on between two thousand and two and two thousand and eight, And was also a finance lead at PayPal, so we were working in the capital markets and working with investment bankers all the time. PayPal went public in two thousand and two, got acquired by eBay, and I was on the finance team and was chief financial officer at eBay in the North America business when it all went down in two thousand and seven. In two thousand and eight, so I'd say I got a pretty good front row seat to the show and then a little bit of backchannel with just colleagues and friends of mine on the street.
Speaker 1: So, you know, for a lot of us who lived through two thousand and eight, I think there was it seemed like, you know, you're sort of classic Iceberg breaking scenario where it seems like everything's going to be okay, there's some tremors on on the horizon, and then all of a sudden things start to fall apart, very very quickly. But as someone who was more on the inside, did you have a sense that things were moving in a rapidly negative direction before maybe it was starting to hit the broad media or did it come as just as much of a surprise to you as to everybody else the way things started to all of a sudden, very quickly unravel.
Speaker 3: I would say there were warning signals probably in two thousand and five, two thousand and six. You kind of have to know what to look for and what to listen to. I had the benefit of working on the trading desk at Lehman Brothers, and so I was trained on the fixed income side and the bond side. And when you're in the fixed income side and you're valuing cash flows and understanding assets and how they trade, you pay attention to different things than you do on the equities. And I loved financial derivatives. I was actually a trader of financial derivatives and between nineteen ninety six and nineteen ninety eight, so that's where I got my training. And is I think as early as two thousand and six, you began to see things like spreads on some of the securities that were securitized by real estate bonds, by commercialized debt obligations, so very very difficult, very hard to understand things that you know, most people don't really pay attention to. But if you do look at securitized bonds and those trading spreads and how those how those CDO spreads were moving around, you could see as early as two thousand and six that there was a bit of a credit risk. And then it just accelerated and became it hit the popular imagination probably in two thousand and seven, when it began to defect equities and real estate prices, and it began to see the defaults coming. So I was probably about a year I had just in terms of my understanding of the market.
Speaker 1: So as the market information starts to come in and I have to imagine, you know, this was back you know, under the Bush administration and George W. Bush Right, I would have to imagine that he has intelligent people in his staff as well, who maybe can see some of these problems coming along, Like why wasn't there more of a reaction if you can speculate from the administration. I mean, it seemed to the average user, I think it seemed like they were caught a little bit flat footed by what happened.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think they were. So this is a this is a great question. Why didn't the government see it coming? And was it a failure of regulation? And if so, why, And this is a topic I'd go into and great death and one I had a bit of a as I say, a front row seat, but also a little bit of backchannel sitting there. But in retrospect you get to you know, you get the benefit of being a Monday morning quarterback, so you can you can break down the video and look at all the things that could have should it would have happened. And I covered this in great detail in a chapter on my new book, which is called The History of Annational Bubbles, and it comes out in early next year, and one of the chapters was on the subprime bubble. I think it really started back in nineteen ninety two. There was a law passed by the federal government. This was passed by a Democratic Congress but signed by President Bush Senior, and it was called the Federal Housing Enterprises Financial Safety and Sound Is Act, and it began to for the first time, direct Fanny May and Freddie Mack to deploy money that they were spending to stabilize the mortgage market into LMIs or low and middle income households, which are basically households that are at or below the median income in the neighborhood that they're in. And these quotas began at thirty percent, and then Bill Clinton takes over, and then the quotas bidon't expand from thirty to forty to fifty percent. By two thousand and seven eight it was fifty six percent. So it was really the Clinton presidency the Bush presidency, both parties of Congress that were pushing these quotas, and Fanny and Freddie what they were doing was deploying capital into it became the subprime bond market. And that's I think something that took both parties by surprise. They didn't realize how quickly the subprime bond market was expanding. Between two thousand and one and two thousand and seven, there were there were not a lot of defaults in the subprime bond market, even though that that market was a little in niche industry when I was a bond trader in the nineteen nineties. It multiplies by ten x by the time it get to the middle of the two thousands, but it didn't. It didn't default because the quality the mortgages weren't high, but that wasn't immediately apparent. And then interest rates were held down by the FED between two thousand and two and two thousand and six at historically very low interest rates, so they kind of kicked the can down, you know, down the street a little bit, and eventually it metastasized in two thousand and seven, and I think it's fair to say took everybody by surprise.
Speaker 2: That's interesting.
Speaker 1: So the initial idea behind this policy seems to be from my perspective, you know, well intentioned. I guess I could say, you know, let's try to or individuals who you know might otherwise be able to get their mortgages serviced. To me, that makes sense. So from your perspective in the financial game, where does it go wrong? Like I'm always interested in, like why don't policies achieve what we want them to? And this seems to me to be almost a quintessential moment where a policy clearly just missed. Like, I know, I can see the goal, I understand the direction that it's supposed to go in, but it doesn't go that direction.
Speaker 2: Why do you think that was?
Speaker 3: Well, if you think about the as you said, the goal, if the goal is just simply to increase home ownership among middle class individuals, that is, that seems on the face of it to be an admirable goal and maybe something the government should be pushing. Now, there are different ways to do that. If you look at how the different countries in Europe have approached that problem, or Canada or Japan, they haven't subsidized loans to low come families. What they tended to do was either they built housing in Europe to something called social credit housing, where you basically build build housing and make it available to low LMI individuals or families in certain neighborhoods. You could also subsidize those individuals directly and give them a credit towards a purchase of a home. But only in really four countries did the policy become subsidized banks or direct financial institutions to give loans to people who wouldn't otherwise qualify for them very easily. And those four countries were the US, the UK, Spain, and Ireland. Canada didn't do it, Japan didn't do it, Germany didn't do it, France didn't do it. And so look at where the two thousand and eight bubble hit disproportionably, It was those four countries where the subprime bubble happened. You had a proliferation of lower quality loans, a massive increase in housing prices, followed by the collapse in housing prices and the compromised collateral that resulted. I was living in Canada, grew up in Canada, so I had a pretty good you know, my mom and dad own a house in Canada and they were looking at the US. I remember watching them and talking to them about the US housing bubble and Canada the housing prices went up a little bit, but not a lot, and it never had the same shakeout that the US did. So that's that's a pretty good clue as to how to do it. Like maybe Canada and Germany and France and Japan were onto something and in the US there were not. And I think what happened was in the US by the late nineteen nineties, Fanny and Freddy they became market leaders in mortgage lending, and they were telling originators that they wanted more of these loans from lower income households. And if you're a bank and you've got Fanny and Freddy that are your two biggest clients saying I want more of these loans from low income households, Well, what do you do? The banks had to lower their underwriting standards, and Fanny and Freddie were buying loans with a loan to value of ninety percent, ninety five percent, ninety seven. By the time you got to two thousand and seven, they were buying mortgages with zero down and all these unusual payment features like no down payment or teaser rates, negative amorization features that stuff just never happened in Canada where you didn't have players like Fanny and Freddie moving down credit. So it is it is, I think, just a matter of unintended consequences and not thinking through all the implications. And then once the policy gets rolling, it's really really difficult to roll it back because you have politically motivated interests that want to maintain the status quo.
Speaker 2: That's interesting.
Speaker 1: I mean, anybody who's a little bit older as I can remember, you know, purchasing a home before two thousand and eight, Yeah, one in two thousand and six, and it was kind of like, you know, write down what you think you weren't on a cocktail napkin, you know, and just we'll just kind of give you credit for that. I mean, not maybe not quite to that extent, but like I mean the standards where you could tell the market difference post two thousand and eight. You know, as you're talking, like part of me starts to think, you know, we're looking at these countries, looking at Canada, We're looking at you excuse me, the United Kingdom of Ireland, Spain, the United States, And then I'm thinking about this policy, and I'm thinking about things that work and part of me wonders, like, is it just that the government isn't willing to assume enough responsibility? You know, we have this weird partnership between you know, capitalism and private equably, you know, the private side and the government side, you know, and here we're trying to accomplish a policy objective which is laudable that maybe should have just been handled by the government itself, and instead what we're doing is we're kind of outsourcing it to private banks. And as you say, the clients are Freddie and Fanny saying, well, this is what we want, give us this, and it's just the outcome is adverse to what we're expecting. You know, what do you think is the problem that you know, the government just needed to be more involved. We just needed to build houses, We just needed to do what Canada did. I mean, why isn't that an appropriate answer to the problem we still find ourselves in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I suppose it is. And it's a it's a debate to be had. It depends a little on what you think the role of markets are and what do you think the role of government ought to be. I'm on the free market libertarian side of this argument, and in all the bubbles that I will I look at recurring thing is easy money. Sometimes it's it's very obvious, like in twenty twenty twenty one, the Federal Reserve just cut interest rates to zero and held them there for two years, and that fiscal surplus, and that that fiscal deficit rather and that monetary stimulus created an excess of demand over supply. Sometimes it's a little trickier to understand, like the incentives created and something like Fanny May and Freddiemac and government direct lending. So you know, it's a little bit of a tricky balancing act sometimes that these governments try to try to try to try to manipulate. But ultimately the something like housing, the market works I think quite well to develop to do things like build housing where it's needed, to figure out how to underwrite loans and provide high quality loans. That the downside is if you're subsidizing or creating a negative incentive or incentive for banks to lend to people don't otherwise qualify, then then you start to distort the market. I think that's actually the worst. The worst outcome. The better would be to identified populations at need housing you can help them directly. You can, you know, you can sponsor projects or make it easier to build in certain areas where we have a need for low income housing, And that to me seems like a much more constructive role for government in housing, the subsidization of rents, try to medipulate prices, holding rents down, rent controls, that these things always have unintended consequences and never quite achieve the outcomes that you hope.
Speaker 1: Well, we get so hyper focused in the United States sometimes on domestically, you know, what we've done in the past and so on and so forth. But I think if you want a good example of what happens when the government puts its, you know, thomb on the scale of the real estate market and it goes awry, you don't have to look much further than China right now.
Speaker 2: I mean, they're a.
Speaker 1: Pretty unfortunate crisis on folding where it was subsidized far too much for far too long. But one of the things that I think I'm kind of interested in asking you about then is turning to your book for a moment, is what bubble that you've studied in the past, would you tell us in America readers right now?
Speaker 2: Study this one.
Speaker 1: This one's important right now, or this one is the most illustrative as to where we are because I'm going to ask you. I am going to ask you some questions about AYE in just a minute, because I think there might be a bubble there. But before we get there, like, what do you think we should be looking at if we're trying to learn from the past.
Speaker 3: Well, the best ones to look to. I do think two thousand and eight is as interesting and instructive as a really state bubble. It's also a destructive bubble where there wasn't a lot of economic value created and had hugely negative consequences. The other ones that are interesting are the positive bubble, so the ones that actually do bring investment into a new acid class and then that finance is a new technology, the ones that I covered in the book, or the nineteen ninety seven to two thousand telecom dot com bubble, which did create a lot of wealth, and then a lot of wealth was rapidly destroyed from top to bottom. The NASTAK went down by seventy eight percent, so there were a lot of people who were burned by that. But if you consider the lasting impact on the US, you had the emergence of many the tech companies that now dominate or landscape. You had Nvidia was founded at the start of that bubble period. You had Amazon, which was in ninety five. You had PayPal where I worked in ninety eight. eBay was ninety five. Yahoo was founded in nineteen ninety five. Google was founded in nineteen ninety eight. You also had Salesforce in nineteen ninety nine, and Broadcom came at the tail end of that and then even out of the detritus of that bubble. So the two founders of PayPal were Peter Teel and Elon Musk. Peter took his profits and then funded Facebook, which was founded a little bit later, but primarily with Peter's money, and Elon Musk of Force went on to fund SpaceX and Tesla, and you bought x, dot Com and Twitter and the Boring Company and everything else. So very in the long run, a very constructive, productive bubble which has created a lot more value than was destroyed. And the one that was interesting was the eighteen forty five eighteen forty nine UK railway boom, where again you had a lot of investment in a short amount of period and overbuild of a technology but ultimately the UK came out of that stronger then it went in, and then went on about a twenty five year run where their economy was expanding and they became the wealthiest country in the world and really led us into the Industrial Revolution that also came out of that bubble. So those to me were really interesting.
Speaker 1: So would you say, let's just talk about nineteen ninety seven to two thousand for a moment. It sounds like I know the answer to this, But would you say net positive or net negative? If we have to consider all the implications of that, It sounds like you're saying net positive.
Speaker 3: I think so. I guess that is a scant assurance to the investor who jumped in nineteen ninety nine and then by two thousands had lost her life savings and her college fund and everything else. But if your question is, hey, did America benefit, then I would say the economy in the nineteen nineties was very strong for every single person who economy, but on average, and then we had a mini recession in two thousand and one. A lot of that was the result of the telecom part of that bubble, not the Internet bubble, and then became out of two thousand and one, growing and with market leadership and you know, new technologies that have made in America among the richest countries in the world today. So I'd say that's a net positive.
Speaker 1: So what's an example of a bubble then that was decidedly a net negative, Like, can you give me an example from your research about well, here here's a bubble that really had no discernible benefit at least to the majority of people in a society.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can give you a couple. There were a couple that were very destructive. So eighteen eighty six to eighteen eighty nine there's an Australian land boom which which to them feels a lock like the two thousand and eight two thousand and nine bubble. That's another very negative. Tulips in Amsterdam was an exciting run sixteen thirty six and sixteen thirty seven. The tulip prices went from you know, they went from sixteen thirty six six into thirty seven. They went up by twenty times and at the peak of the bubble you could basically buy a house on the Amstell River with a single tulip, and that tulips were commanding prices that were three to six times the average salary of a merchant at the time. And then just as quickly as the excitement had built, the excitement went away, like the brittle fog in Amsterdam that sometimes rolls in over the river. If you ever experience the weather there, you'll see what February is like. And it was just like that, a chill rolled in and all of a sudden the market died, and the result of it was no economic value. I found. Actually, maybe that was interesting. One was in seventeen twenty there were two massive companies that were built side by side in London and in Paris, the south Sea Company in the Mississippi Company, and they were built as these massive trading enterprises with financial engineering, and they both got obliterated in seventeen twenty and seventeen twenty one, and at their peak they were both worth more than Nvidia is today, and like today's dollars, the south Sea Company was a maybe a six trillion dollar market cap company. The Mississippi Company was eight or nine trillion dollars in today's dollars. There were the second and third most valuable companies of all time, behind only the Dutch, East India company around the same time, and then you know, within within a year there were no more and it left a lot of damage in their wake.
Speaker 2: That's interesting.
Speaker 1: So what are the criteria then, So if we're trying to evaluate just kind of generally like this this boom and this bust is going to be when this bubble burst, this isn't that positive, This isn't that negative. Is it just I'm thinking to the railroad example you gave in Great Britain. Is it just okay, well enough infrastructure was built that we could use that for other things. Are those the sort of factors we're looking at, or is it just sort of an overall wealth creation plus minus?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess the economist in me would just say that it's it's wealth creation plus or minus to be create net surplus net, consumer surplus net, you know, value net, welfare net, productivity gains out of the bubble. If you look at that ninety six and nine nine period, I think it's fair to say there was, in the long run, a technology that changed the world, and it began with the Internet wasn't really a thing before nineteen ninety five. I mean, it was, but it was basically a bunch of networks built by a bunch of academics and government officials, and you couldn't make money on it, and it was sort of, I don't know, you know, kind of useless, frankly. But Netscape changed everything and there was a browser that was a consumer facing browser. People could now use the Internet. There was massive adoption of technology TDMA, and it rolled out a telecom network and fiber optic cables that have just connected the world in a way that hadn't been done before. And you could even argue that you needed the bubble, you needed the excitement of that mania to really make that investment happen, to catalyze investment in a new category. And without a little bit of irrational exuberance, it might not happened. And so there are losers along the way and people who jumped in and then lost money. But then the result was a technology that you and I and others are using and that were utility from even today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that that's I tend to agree with that assessment a lot. It's whether or not we're still benefiting from the results today and the majority of people, certainly there's some people who are going to benefit from every bubble no matter what, because they get out and get in at the right times. But okay, so let's turn our attention then to what a lot of people think we're in right now, the AI bubble. Okay, there certainly there's been a lot of discussion on this topic, and I guess, well, let's just talk about the hallmarks of a bubble, and do you think we're in what at this point?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so let's talk about the things that would suggest that we are in a bubble. And let's just let me just let's just define a bubble to make sure we're on the same page. So I just define it as a very very rapid run up in valuations followed by a equal and upsetting symmetrical decline in valuations over a relatively short amount of time, so let's say two or three years. You could also argue the bubble is like it's just happens when the valuations become untethered from fundamentals, and some people would define it that way. I don't really know what that means. I don't really understand how you you know your opinion about fundamentals and valuations aside, I don't know how you decide based on that definition. What's a bubble? And what are the fundamentals with cryptocurrencies or you know, tulips I guess, like you know, it's hard to then it's hard to say that that is a bubble if you don't accept the premise that fundamentals and valuations and the relationship between them are something we can all agree on as a bond trader and as an investor, I don't think we can. So the hallmarks of the AI bubble, if you want to argue we're in one would be one a very rapid run up in valuations and a handful of companies that are AI native AI adjacent. I would say, you see a little bit of that in the public markets. I think in here in Silicon Valley you see a lot of it. There are a lot of young kids pitching companies that are AI native and getting twenty five to fifty million dollars valuations, whereas when we invest in companies with real businesses, we try to stick to five to ten million dollar valuations. The business models, you're not very clear. There's a lot of you know, which you might call what John Maynard Kains might call animal spirits, what Ellen Greenspan might call irrational exuberance. What my mother might just say is, these kids don't know what they're talking about. So three, compending on how you define this period of excitement, you know, it's some combination of excitement that just seems to exceed the fundamentals of the business. There's a lot of capital intensity. That's another hallmark of bubbles. The amount of money we're spending in an AI capex. If you look at the you know, the especially in the public companies and the hyperscalers, we're probably at about four to five hundred billion dollars in AI capex this year. That's one and a half to two percent of US GDP. At the peak of the telecom bubble in nine to nine two thousand, we're probably you know, five or six or maybe seven or eight percent of US GDP was in those investments. So or we're beginning to approach nineteen ninety nine levels of investment. The other side of the argument, though, which is kind of where I come out, as I think the businesses in the fundamentals around AI are a lot better than they were in say, nineteen ninety nine. In nineteen ninety nine, the NASTAQ one hundred peaked at seventy three times priced earnings. Today the mag Sabin is like twenty five to twenty nine times price earnings. In Vidias, the company at the middle of everything, they're trading at twenty four times fully taxed earnings for next year. In ninety nine, the company at the center of everything was Cisco, and they peaked at two hundred times earnings. And they were the ones that were like building routers and building the technology and the picks and shovels of the Internet. But they didn't make a lot of money. Their best year, they made money. They made two point seven billion in profit in two thousand. They lost money in two thousand and one. And Vidia is a very profitable company. Not only are they cash flow positive, but they're buying backstock. They spend one hundred and twelve billion dollars buying backstock over the past five years. Cisco didn't do that. All the customers that Cisco had, well not all of them, but half of them were telecoms, and some of these were Worldcomm and Global Crossing. Those were not profitable companies. They a lot of them. Those two bankruptcy in fact, and had accounting scandals and massive restatements. In two thousand and one and two thousand and two, a couple of their executives went to jail. The customers for today vidious customers are Meta and Microsoft and Alphabet and Amazon. They're all profitable companies, paying dividends, buying backstock, and cashlow positive. They don't have more cash than debt. Those the mag seven has three hundred billion dollars in cash more than debt right now, and that was the inverse. The telephon companies were massively indebted back in two thousand and Maybe the most important thing is all those companies back in two thousand were laying dark fiber like they were building fiber optic cable networks in advance of demand, but the supply where they'd built so much supply and capacity that the demand never caught up. So at the peak of the bubble, ninety seven percent of the global fiber optic cables were dark. They weren't being used. Every GPU that Nvidia rolls off of its assembly line lights up. There's demand for it right now, So the hyperscalers are buying all the gps that can yet they're they're letting them up, and they're actually not constrained by supply. It's more of a it's more of a demand problem, if so, meaning, and they could probably double the number of GPUs are selling tomorrow and still be sold out other inventory. So those are the reasons I don't think the AI bubble quite qualifies as you know, what you saw in nineteen ninety nine or eighteen forty five.
Speaker 1: Well, that's interesting. I mean, part of me wants to just question, you know, sort of devil's advocate. But you know, I think back to you know, Great Britain in the nineteenth century, Like trains run, they run on tracks, they're helpful. Okay, the Internet pretty obvious to see the direction that's going. What about AI, though, what if we you know, because everybody always talks about artificial general intelligence a GI, like, what.
Speaker 2: If we don't get there? What if this is it?
Speaker 1: Wouldn't that cause there to be some expectation that is unmet. To me, that sounds like that could cause a bubble?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I actually don't know that we'll ever get to what they call a GI. I'm not sure I even understand what a GI means. There are different definitions of it. There's some broadly accepted I guess, you know, opinion that that computers will become self aware is not quite the right word, but it does sort of capture what people think. It'll become a super intelligence that can do pretty much whatever whatever it wants to, and have initiative and the ability to, you know, to take control of different processes. I don't know that we'll frankly ever get there, or maybe that that is much further away than than people think. But at the same time, there are a lot of AI applications that will emerge over the next five years that I think will make life significantly different for most people without I'll get without getting all the way to you know, sky in It or Cybernigne systems and having something to run your run your defense and plan your day and tell you what to do and cook your food and everything else, and you know, maybe order you around or make to the human battery if you go down the matrix, the matrix, you know, pessimistic view of the world, I guess there are optimistic versions of a utopia where that where it could all be run by computers and happy. But it does seem like AI is going to, you know, within five years, they will be legally they'll be they'll be drafting legal agreements and creating contracts, and they will be driving cars, and they will displace a lot of human activity right now that we are doing that you know, we don't really need to be doing and so that will have a life changing set of impacts on what we do and how we work workflows for companies. I think it'll remake education. I've got two daughters from school who are eleven and fifteen, so that's top of mind right now. I think that's another area where we are still teaching people, you know, how to work and how to live in a way that reflects in a lot of ways in industrial society from the nineteen twenties and having education hasn't really caught up, but it will. And then healthcare, the diagnostic outcomes from you know, better analysis of medical data will be quite literally life changing. And so I think those are all things that you can get to without getting to AGI.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's interesting.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, as someone who works in the field of education, you know, I find it interesting how we still sort of the metrics for success where you know, how is the school day measured? Well, it's measured in blocks of time, right, whether or not you can prove mastery of a particular formula in five minutes or in fifty five minutes. It doesn't change the amount of time that you have to sit there.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: That's always struck me as rather silly, but that is that's that's how we do it. And so, as you're talking, though, part of me just can't help but wonder, like, what would be worse economically in this situation?
Speaker 2: What would be worse. Would it be worse for it to be a.
Speaker 1: Bubble and oh gosh, we never got you know, an autonomous assistant. Sorry, that just didn't didn't happen. A bunch of people lost their shirts, oh well, or it would be worse if we got them, and then that causes massive unemployment and a total reshuffling of society that we just can't handle. I don't know, I'm very torn on it. What do you think which which would be worse in this case?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I tend to be much more on the optimistic side about how this will change workflows. I understand the argument that this will displace people, put them out of work. It'll you know, let's take the example of the driver list car that I just mentioned. So what happens to all these How many people are driving cars in the US or make a living on uber or driving taxis it's you know, between one and one and two million or whatever it is. What do? What are they all? What are they all going to do? You know what? And how do we find jobs for them? This has been the same argument that effort about every technology. I remember hearing it back in the nineteen nineties about the Internet and computing and that was going to, you know, put a lot of people out of work, and it was going to have this big productivity bump and then people will wouldn't have work to do. Accountants and lawyer were kind of, you know, front and center at the time. I remember thinking about what profession do I want to go into? And I was the bond traders, hosting a lot of you know, manual work like you settle trades at Lehman Brothers. You actually have to write out what your purchase of, what your sale was, and your file paperwork at the end of the day. And now a lot of that stuff is just automated, right The Nastak and all these exchanges could entirely run on computers. The trading floors if you go to a big investment of make today it's comparatively quiet. It's not the trading floor that I grew up on, or it's not the trading floor of trading places the Eddie Murphy dan Akroyd movie where there's like the yelling buy and sell orders. So what do all those you know, what are all those couriers do? Well? They all found new jobs. We have a four point six percent unemployment rate today in the US. If you go back even further, at the end of World War One, World War in the in the nineteen twenties, forty percent of Americans lived on farms worked on farms. And if you go back to eighteen hundred, eighty percent of Americans lived on farms. But then the agricultural tech logical revolution happened. You had the spinning, the spinning Jenny, and the textile you know, manufacturing technology that just automated all that stuff. And now we have two percent people living on farms, maybe down to one percent now, and they're producing all the food that we need and then some and we don't have an eighty percent unemployment rate. So all these technologies, you know, created as much work as they displaced and productivity has gone up and people have found new things to do in the Internet. We didn't know it at the time, but it's created a whole new digital economy. So for every job that the Internet obliterated, you've now got YouTube influencers and people making money in media, and people are in the computer science field, you know, generating incomes off of these off of these new business models. They just just weren't therefore before PayPal and before eBay, and before Amazon and Google and YouTube and everything else. So I don't really know where these jobs get created. I would probably tell my daughters to study AI and get comfortable with robotics because I think that will have something to do with the future, and I might I might guide them away from being a driver as a profession or a you know, a call center operator. So a little bit of this is free career advice, but you know, this is also the belief that these technologies are net positive and if you embrace them and retrain with the right mindset and skill set, then that's what you have to do to benefit from the new world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, as somebody who spent one summer working in a call center, I can just definitively tell the audience please don't go into that line of work. It's not overwhelmingly fulfilling. I'll just be honest with you. There there's a lot of this. You'd be much happier as a bartender. I'm just going to tell you that right now. But having done both at various times in my life, you know, sometimes I wonder about this, and as someone in education, you know, I sometimes look at the way we do things and think, like, I mean, it's not nineteen twenty, Like, why are we.
Speaker 2: Still doing things in this way?
Speaker 1: Like is it just we're such a creative species, But yet it seems like sometimes we have such a lack of creative in how we think about problems, in the way that things are going to change going forward.
Speaker 2: I mean, you have people who are.
Speaker 1: Really upset about the idea of the changes that are going to bring, even though historically anybody who studied things knows that there will be more jobs created at some point. I mean, is there a point where we just need a leader or someone to say like, just it's gonna be okay, Like, guys, calm down.
Speaker 3: What do you think I think that's a healthy attitude. I don't know that most people have studied history. Maybe your biased because of your podcast, but a lot of people I talked to do you think that there's going to be a net job loss? And they do think that technology creates jobs and it's the same. But it's the same argument you heard from the Luddites, and you know the people in nineteen twenties who resist at look at you don't have to go back to the nineteen twenties. Look at Hollywood today. There was a big writers and actors strike earlier this year and the number one issue was we don't want not Maybe not the number one issue, it was one of several issues how AI works with artists. And you know, I can point back the nineteen twenties as being another example of a technology that that disrupted the film industry, the talkie. If you look at the early nineteen twenties, you had black and white films and there were there were I was gonna say silent, They weren't really silent people. Did you know? There was music but it was like a live organists right in a theater who gave it a sound. And you had wonderful actors like Charlie Chaplin and Clara Bow who could express more with her eyes to beautiful actress, you can express. She could express more with her eyes than most actresses can with the you know, the full benefit of visuals and sound and voice. Douglas Fairbanks and they didn't, they didn't embrace the talkie. And if you look at the early talkies, the Jazz Singer's the first one in nineteen twenty seven, you look at it now, it's like, huh, that's not great. They're they're out of sync. It's awkward. It just feels like a little bit underwhelming. But that's that was technology in nineteen twenty seven. That was life changing. That was that was like special effects. It was like a light bulb went off, you know, for viewers. And after nineteen twenty seven the sound gets better and then, you know, slowly and surely a few of those actors never made it right. Douglas Fairbanks and Mary Pickford and Clara Bow never made a talkie and their careers ended in the nineteen thirties. Charlie Chaplin held out. He did his first hoke in nineteen thirty nine and was wonderful in it. But some you know, some actors had weird accents, I guess and speech impediments and thought it would compromise the art, and they thought that this technology will be destructive, and that people like Walt Disney with this animation and the talkies and these musicals, you know that there would be the death of Hollywood. And you get to the nineteen forties and fifties and Hollywood's never never been stronger. Right, there's the golden ear of Hollywood because they ended up embracing the technology. And I guess it is leaders like Walt Disney and others who who said, you know, here's how to make this work. And then when you actually show people the impact of animation and sound and music and you can see Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers dancing in the movies like he couldn't before, then you know, then people feel like, oh, maybe it will be better. But it takes that, It takes those examples of innovation, and I think that's success to inspire people to be happy with the technology and then embrace it. And until then, you know, fear, fear and fear mongering often wins out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Sometimes when I look back in history, I think to myself, like, you know, and I've studied hundreds of years, is just maybe you don't necessarily need every single person to be able to see what's over the next hill. You just need a couple in every society. And as long as you foster those people and give those people the tools that they need to be successful, you know, it generally.
Speaker 2: Works out for a culture in the long run.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: It's when you totally put the brakes on.
Speaker 1: This and and here I'm thinking particularly of some of the medieval caliphates of the Middle East, in the in the Eras, right after the Mongol invasions, when they really just turn their backs on science, and that was just an o that was just an overarching negative. Like if you don't do that, things probably work out better for you. But when you close the doors, it's very rare that good things happen, at least in my experience. Well, we're getting close to time, but I wanted to ask you. I wanted you to talk about the book a little bit. First of all, when can we get it? What's the exact title. Let's get the folks the information that they need. And then what are you going to talk We've talked about some of it, but you know, what's the thesis of the book, Like, what are we going to understand by looking at it.
Speaker 3: Yes, well maybe we should have started here out of in a self serving Waale too enjoyed this conversation. The name of the book is A Brief History of Financial Bubbles. You can get it. I'll send a link to you for the show notes, but it's www dot Big Bubble trouble dot com. You can get it there. The book goes through ten bubbles in financial history. It starts with Amsterdam in sixteen thirty six, the Tulip Bubble. It then goes to the seventeen twenties and the south Sea, Mississippi Company, and then it ends in twenty twenty twenty one, which I call the everything Everywhere, all at Once bubble, which was a very unique, multi asset, multi country bubble that was created. And then I kind of do the epilogue on AI and is AI a bubble? And you know you've already hehard what I think about that. When the reason I really did the book was, you know, one part it was just education. I lecture guest lecture economics at Harvard Business School, and I found those students who are in their mid twenties and even a lot of entrepreneurs who in the valley. They just don't. They don't have a very short memory. The average lifespan, I guess of a money manager, even on Law Street today is about eight or nine years, like the only managed money have been managed money for the last nine eight or nine years. So they don't remember two thousand and eight. They don't remember two thousand and one. They haven't read about Japan in nineteen eighty four. They always think these new investments and you know, these technologies are different, the opportunities we should be investing in certain technologies, you know, at ridiculous evaluations, and they don't know or remember what happened in the last bubble or how to navigate them. So one part of this was just to do a research project on historical bubbles, how they come together, what happens, and then how do you navigate them once they're here. And there's some lessons for policymakers on you know, recurring patterns with bubbles that that that that repeat, and how not to make those repetitive mistakes. And then in part it's it's part economics, but there's also a lot of history and social context behind each of this bubbles. So if you're interested in history if you're interested in in politics, or why did the bubble in Amsterdam happen in sixteen thirty six and you know not sixteen twenty six? How come it didn't happen in Paris? How come it didn't happen in London? How come it was tulips? Why wasn't it I don't know, sugar or tobacco or land. I go into all these different you know, backgrounds and aspects just to be just to be educational. So I hope it's going to be fun, entertaining and educational read for for your listeners and others.
Speaker 2: Why don't you think more.
Speaker 1: Traders, people in finance markets, why don't they read more history? I mean, like to me, it's kind of like a no brainer. It's like, well, I think I want to understand you know the world that came because I agree.
Speaker 2: You know, I teach you know, younger.
Speaker 1: Students, but you know they don't have any recollection of two thousand and eight. You know, they look into the markets and you know, I'll talk about bubbles and I'll talk about AI and they'll just say, like I when to shut up, old man, Like this is like this is never, This is never going to happen like everything, everything's always just going to go up forever because they don't have any understanding of that. And to me, that's that's a frightening prospect.
Speaker 2: I don't know why.
Speaker 3: Why not?
Speaker 1: Come on, guys, why aren't you read more history? Why aren't people who do what you do? Aren't they read more history?
Speaker 3: I don't know why they. I don't know why they don't. Some of the best investors I know do. And it's a competitive advantage. It's an education question. It's a question for an educator, not a not an economist, I think, but I am an educator, except I'm I'm a father of two kids twelve and fourteen, and I think history is just you know a lot of what you learn in history. When I learned it, it was great, It was fun. It was a narrative. You know, you talked about things like I talk about my class evaluations in nineteen twenty nine versus today? Are we higher than in nineteen twenty nine? And what happened historically? When valuations are training at mid twenties pe multiples? What is their forward looking returns just based on historical data and analysis. When my daughter learns history and her last school. There was a lot of facts and figures and you know, memorize this guy and this battle on this date. And I think she, you know, she didn't get as much out of it, probably as as she might have, because I don't think it was taught in a way that was very compelling or that speaks to the student. And unfortunately that you know that a lot of that's just on the teacher, right making it, making something that's going to be relevant to your student and to capture their imagination. Is he says, you got to be you got to be a good teacher. And maybe that's where you know, maybe that's where the opportunity is. Maybe that's where AI or just you know, these technologies can help to make in podcasts like yours, they make history irrelevant and entertaining and something you can really get into because talk, right, it is fascinating stuff and very valuable to an investor.
Speaker 2: Well obviously I think so.
Speaker 1: But this is a is a captive audience right here, and I'm assuming if you're listening to this you probably think so as well. So good news for everyone listening. You have a competitive vantage.
Speaker 2: You just heard this.
Speaker 1: Over a variety of different people now there maybe other impediments, but you have a competitive advantage. So congratulations. But yeah, I'm very pleased with this. This was a great discussion. I really had fun talking. I think it's going to be you know, if the book is anywhere as an entertaining is this conversation, we're going to be. You're going to do very well and I'll be excitedly picking up a copy as soon.
Speaker 2: What's the date that is available.
Speaker 3: By the way, I haven't landed that with my publisher. We're going back and forth. It's a you know, it's a bit of it's my fault. The book was going to be a two hundred page literally, a brief history of financial bubbles, and I just got into it, and I got into it's now about eight hundred pages, and so it's much longer than what I intended, but that means more editing, copy editing and back and forth of the editor. It should be end of January. If you go to Big Bubble Trouble dot com, you can do you can get in the pre order list right now. It should hit Amazon and all the fine bookstores in January of twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: All right, well you heard them, ladies, and gentlemen, let's get to that website. Let's get a pre order in there.
Speaker 3: Come on.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. It was a wonderful conversation.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Adam. I really enjoyed it, appreciate it. M