Speaker 1: Tired of the everyday grind, ever dream of a life of romantic adventure. I want to get away from it all. We offer you.
Speaker 2: Escape, Escape, designed to free you from the four walls of today for a half hour of high adventure.
Speaker 1: You are seated before the dials of your radio receiver, listening to a faint voice from the blackness beyond, while the one who speaks with words of friendship is debating the destruction.
Speaker 3: Of your world.
Speaker 2: Listen now, as Escape brings you Michael Gray's exciting story The Invader.
Speaker 4: Here in the Nevada Desert, our forward Observation Post is a slit trench less than two miles from ground zero of Operation Doorstep eight a bomb test. The time exactly thirty seconds to eh hour. That's the voice of our official guide, Colonel Jim Donovan.
Speaker 5: We have eight minus sixteen fifteen, fourteen thirteen, prow eleven ten nine, eight, seven, six, five four three two one.
Speaker 4: There it goes there, It is.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 4: You'll hear the sound of the explosion any second.
Speaker 3: Now, that flash, Commander, Yes, check the cyclo gauges for reactions.
Speaker 7: No reaction, zero count. What an extraordinary race, very primitive.
Speaker 8: The main object appears to be to kill each other off at periodic intervals.
Speaker 7: I wonder why the council doesn't order extinction.
Speaker 8: There's hope, that's why we've been sent.
Speaker 7: But the Red zero Discs vanished on the same job last di Loo. Why waste more lives? The things should be exterminated.
Speaker 8: Don't be unscientific. The red zero discs probably disobeyed orders and landed on water.
Speaker 7: Water, yes, water, what a place? What did they call those creatures? Commander humans? Humans? What an odd name?
Speaker 8: I'm afraid they're a very odd race.
Speaker 7: That you all?
Speaker 9: All right? Yes?
Speaker 10: Yes, my thing.
Speaker 11: I saw the bomb test on television this morning. Did you see it in school?
Speaker 10: No, dear, where are you going?
Speaker 9: Now?
Speaker 10: Into the lab? Call me when dinner's ready?
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's see hm Aldred.
Speaker 6: I want to talk to you, huh.
Speaker 2: I said, I want to talk to you.
Speaker 11: Oh, yes, dear, of course, I saw Missus Warren today. Yes, dey, Will you stop messing around and pay attention to what I'm saying?
Speaker 10: Yes, yes, dey.
Speaker 11: I should merely like to remind you that Missus Warren is your school principal's wife. She hinted that.
Speaker 10: He's not pleased with your work in.
Speaker 11: Fact, he's not pleased at all.
Speaker 10: Albert, did you hear what I said?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 11: Yeah, yes, Deir, come back here, now, stand still and listen to me. How do you think I feel having the principal's wife laughing at you and laughing at me too. This is the third job you've had in the past two years, and you are going to keep this one. I know it's hard for a scientific genius to settle down teaching twelfth grade chemistry, but this time you are going to stick. I'm mina, Albert. You're making yourself the laughing stock of the school with your crazy experiments, and it's got to stop. I'm just not going to spend the rest of my life following you around from job to job like a gypsy.
Speaker 10: Whoa Well, of course, dear, I understand.
Speaker 11: You'd better understand. I'm not gonna stand for it anymore. If you're not down for dinner in five minutes, there won't be any dinner for you.
Speaker 8: Magne transastylating probably magnetic storms.
Speaker 7: No, it's a definite signal on our channeler.
Speaker 8: That's the console's calling horaise and bring it.
Speaker 10: In station m XA calling station, m XA calling.
Speaker 9: Station m X A over and now.
Speaker 8: That's not the council. Check the frequency the emergency band. Somebody's playing a joke. Tell them to clear the ether.
Speaker 7: Stellar disc quite zero now whose call moment?
Speaker 8: Ask for code check.
Speaker 7: Stellar disc quite zero? Now give name code.
Speaker 9: Check station m XA. Uh, where are you?
Speaker 8: Give me the frequent tone? Listen MxA. This is commander of Deltaship White zero null on space mission. Get off this channel. Make a note for the log. We'll report it back to the console. What was his identification?
Speaker 7: Sounded like MxA mx A mx A.
Speaker 8: Check the cyclo listing.
Speaker 7: There's no such station listed.
Speaker 13: DRIs must be cross check and fix. Yes, no, absolutely, no listing.
Speaker 8: Oh no, it's impossible. Those blundering primates couldn't have the intelligence trimates ris humans. It's incredible. But use the Magna band. We keep emergency open, fix and raise MxA immediately.
Speaker 10: Del Toaship white zero. No, del Toship White zero.
Speaker 11: No, are you coming down to supper y.
Speaker 10: Martha, Martha, it's amazing. I've made contact. I spoke to them. Do Delta white zero. No, I've checked the station list. There's no such call sign. It means only one thing, Martha, one thing Space men in space. You know what that means?
Speaker 11: Stop Albert?
Speaker 2: When are you going to grow up?
Speaker 10: Your dinner is getting called?
Speaker 9: Commander Delta White zero null calling station MxA.
Speaker 10: Where are you located, Commander Delta White zero null. This is Station MxA MxA. I'm located at La Murada, California.
Speaker 9: What planet a planet?
Speaker 7: Earth?
Speaker 10: That's continent of North America.
Speaker 6: Who are you?
Speaker 10: Repeat? Who you are over?
Speaker 9: Are you humans?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 10: Yes, you aren't.
Speaker 9: No, of course not. We're of Epsilon from the race of planetoid Delta Delta on mission of exploration for the Council Council, the Council of Quantum Major of the Nebulae Ursula. We're arriving in your atmosphere in two dlos more to examine your planet. We cannot continue this unauthorized contact without permission from the Council. If granted, we will raise contact again at your earliest lifetime tomorrow. Oh did you hear that?
Speaker 10: Martha? Did you hear?
Speaker 13: Are you or are you not?
Speaker 10: Coming down to dinner?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 10: I've got it. Out there in space is another intelligence, another race, And I've done. I've made contact for the last time.
Speaker 11: Are you coming down?
Speaker 10: The list and I've made one of the most important discoveries in the century, the first contact with another world, and other people or something think what it'll mean for civilis They think what they'll bring. Maybe a whole new way of life.
Speaker 11: Just another one of those radio amateur friends of yours playing No.
Speaker 10: Mother, that's impossible, frequencies completely outside the UHF band. No no, no station could even reach the range, much less transmit speech. Oh yes tomorrow and ask questions. All right, now, I've stood another.
Speaker 11: I've watched you wreck job after job with your silly crackpot ideas.
Speaker 10: I've been hoping that you'd come, but you heard Mark.
Speaker 11: With this pile of junk long enough. If you don't come to your senses and for all, I'm through with you. But I give you five minutes more to wash and get downstairs, or I'm through Albertanna, I mean it.
Speaker 10: Oh, I'll.
Speaker 11: Wake up, Albert.
Speaker 10: Oh I'm kind of seven. Oh yes, good, I hurry up and get shared. He'll be like God, Oh, I mustn't be. Oh have you seen an early light early late time? I hope I'm not late, he said, make contact early and late light. Don't worry about breakfast here, just fix some coffee and dressed. Now, now do you hear me? You know what the principal said the last time you were late, Math, I'm not going to school. Don't you understand here? Today I'm going to contact Delta White. No, in fact, I'm going to contact right now.
Speaker 11: You mean to tell me that you're risking your job for that that crazy, Oh, mother.
Speaker 7: Is not crazy.
Speaker 10: You're putting on this earth could have transmitted on that frequency. There's only one explanation.
Speaker 9: All right.
Speaker 11: I can see that there's only one solution to this, and you've asked for it.
Speaker 10: Mother, door, I'm to stop. What are you going to do, Martha?
Speaker 11: Get away from that door. By the time I finished with this place, get out of my way.
Speaker 1: All you need of.
Speaker 10: The room, sam Won, I said. Now, then you listen to me for a change. For fourteen years I've been teaching sniveling little monsters to blow themselves up for less money than our garbage collecting. And for ten years I've listened to you nagged me out of any sort of manhood. But if you lay one finger or not equipment or come in this room again, whether my express permission, I'll kill you.
Speaker 2: We will return to escape in just a moment, But first in your town, in the next town, across the nation, you'll find the Red Cross. But the Red Cross is above and beyond all boundary lines, for it is infinite in its scope. In time of hardships, epidemics, floods, fires, the Red Cross is the symbol and soul of humanity. You are part of that symbol because it is the money that you contribute that enables the Red Cross to continue its great work. Answer the call, and humanity will answer you with gratitude. Now back to escape.
Speaker 10: XA calling Delta white zero No. Station MxA calling Delta white zero null.
Speaker 9: This is Delta by zero. No to station MxA. Can you read us?
Speaker 10: You're coming in loud and clear.
Speaker 9: Council authorises to continue contact. What is your name and function?
Speaker 10: My name's Tanner, Albert Tanner. I'm a chemistry teacher Lamarada High School.
Speaker 9: A scientist.
Speaker 10: Yes, all kind of in a way.
Speaker 9: We too have servants of learning. Did you construct this magnetron channel?
Speaker 10: Yes, but I'm afraid it's a bit elementary. I had to use war surplus stuff and that's never very satisfactory.
Speaker 9: All. Is there war in your territory at this moment?
Speaker 10: Oh no, no, commander, Oh, everything's quite peaceful here.
Speaker 9: Good. We're looking for a suitable land space and don't want to arrive in the middle of your hostilities.
Speaker 10: You'd be very welcome, Commander. We plenty of space and open fields all around us here. It'd be a pleasure to have you.
Speaker 9: Thank you, Tanner, You're welcome, Commander.
Speaker 10: Might I ask what is the position of your planet?
Speaker 9: Menatoid delta is five light years behind the summersaultstice.
Speaker 10: I'm afraid I don't understand that.
Speaker 9: In elementary matho medical formulae, its gamma is to the power of epsilon to the seventh vector.
Speaker 10: Oh of course, yes, yes course. Now how is it we haven't observed your planetoid before. I couldn't find you on any of our star atlases.
Speaker 9: We are exactly opposite your son. This would make observation by ordinary optical instruments impossible, but with our magnetic electroscopes we are able to filter out the soul rays and observe you perfectly.
Speaker 10: I see, Oh, I see, Commander. Ah, when do you expect.
Speaker 9: To arrive by your time? Late? In your so called after noon? We shall determine that by later contact.
Speaker 10: And Commander might I ask a personal question.
Speaker 9: Of course, what do you oh, what do you look like? I all members of the race Delta of the nebulae Ursula. Of course, is there any other way to look? M hm.
Speaker 14: Oh, Marada Police Department, Sergeant Williams.
Speaker 11: This is a Missus Dan at thirty five Crescent Heights. My husband just made contact with Dell to zero something in space and they're going to land this afternoon.
Speaker 9: Will you say that, little flower? Please?
Speaker 11: I said that the men from space are going to land this afternoon. I heard my husband talking to them. You've got a sense of police been out of here because.
Speaker 14: Before yeah, yes, yes, ma'am. No, I'll take it easy. How did you say your husband got this information.
Speaker 11: Through the radio? I mean got through this radio.
Speaker 14: Sure, I understand these spacemen radio to your husband.
Speaker 7: But I keep telling you I've heard them.
Speaker 11: The door was opened up.
Speaker 10: I could hear them very distinctly. Please, please, please, you've got the help.
Speaker 14: It sounds like a matter for the army, Missus Tanner. Why don't you call that?
Speaker 10: All right?
Speaker 11: I'll call them. What's their number?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 10: Please?
Speaker 11: Please one moment, please are you still there?
Speaker 9: Please?
Speaker 14: It's Murda four six three seven I'll call Yeah.
Speaker 9: You do that, Missus Tanner, they'll take care.
Speaker 10: Six three.
Speaker 4: Mm hmmm I.
Speaker 7: Four six three.
Speaker 10: Seven h.
Speaker 9: U s rmy camp, ronalds.
Speaker 11: Can I speak to something in charge? Please?
Speaker 10: Please?
Speaker 11: We're being invaded.
Speaker 10: By Delta or White.
Speaker 5: I mean it's spaceships of the line.
Speaker 9: Please, I'll give you the duty office. Are you still, Lieutenant Jacobs?
Speaker 11: My name is Missus Tanna, Missus Halbatanna, thirty five Cresent Heights.
Speaker 10: Now please please, you've.
Speaker 11: Got us told it out here right away.
Speaker 7: Oh that's interesting.
Speaker 10: Command here. How long you been in space?
Speaker 9: By your time? Five months? But remember, I'll speed is twice the speed of lights.
Speaker 12: Uh huh?
Speaker 10: Do you use atomic energy.
Speaker 9: Discarded in our bleak age? We use the natural magnetic forces that surround the universe.
Speaker 10: What about friction he caused by your velocity through the atmosphere.
Speaker 9: Our speed is adjustable by control of the magnetic fields we ride it in any case. The disull is of traxendium. It's pressure to withstand anything anything that is but water but water.
Speaker 10: But everything in nature has water. Even the human body is eighty percent water.
Speaker 9: What you have water in your body?
Speaker 10: Yes, it's in different forms such as blood, or sweat, but it's still water.
Speaker 9: Thank you for warning us.
Speaker 10: What's wrong with water?
Speaker 9: To humans? Apparently nothing, but to our life form, water is a deadly corrosive.
Speaker 10: But our atmosphere contains water.
Speaker 9: We know and have sufficient exterior protection for the moisture of your atmosphere. Did you say your habitation was inland?
Speaker 10: Yes, yes, you're perfectly safe, sir. We're over one hundred miles from the nearest ocean river. Now, if you will follow my carrier signal down to the landing, you'll.
Speaker 9: Be all right. Thank you, Tanner. I'll report your assistance to the council. Do you think your authorities will object to our visits?
Speaker 10: I'm sure they won't, sir, and they'll be honored.
Speaker 9: We'll all be honored. Is this a joke? Are you?
Speaker 11: Are you not going to help?
Speaker 9: CEO is away for.
Speaker 4: The weekend and I've got an appointment.
Speaker 9: Can't it wait till monday?
Speaker 11: He'll right away. I'll send a report of your contract to my congressman with the copy to your command in general.
Speaker 4: Yes, missus, Tanner, I'll be over.
Speaker 7: Do you really trust that human commander?
Speaker 8: There isn't much option we've orders to carry out. It's an incredible race, but Tenner seems harmless enough. We're meeting pressure race, probably entering the outer atmosphere. Let us start degaussing and settle on his carrier. Twenty seven hundred zero two. No change switch on the water ocllograph arslograph on variation none.
Speaker 9: Good.
Speaker 8: We'd better check again with Tanner until we see ground right away.
Speaker 9: Race filter to MxA, filter to MxA over.
Speaker 10: NXA to delta. You're in loud and strong.
Speaker 9: We're entering your atmosphere.
Speaker 10: I'll check your approach on radar and keep tracking it.
Speaker 9: We're going all deeper. Your channel open, Martha, I thought.
Speaker 11: I told you this, Lieutenant Jacobs from Campos Albert I heard you talking to the desert man, and I was again.
Speaker 4: Your wife was worried, so she wanted me to come over.
Speaker 10: Oh I see, I suppose she told your story about man from space.
Speaker 4: Well, yes, sir, oh all right.
Speaker 10: You probably think I'm crazy, but you'll see they're coming in right now using my channel as a ground approach. You've been through signal school.
Speaker 4: I am from twenty seven signal course.
Speaker 10: I see then you recognize the equivoment.
Speaker 9: Something wrong wrong, reversal fields turner. Cross check our position. We have a danger reading.
Speaker 10: You're heading straight for us. Commander you're safe, Why you're perfectly safe?
Speaker 9: Check it again? Did you check it again? Yes? I did? The great deal of water down there, turn of a signals are a danger. It's fun danger. Cross check your figures. Couple reversal, magnus, it's what it's water lancers and masses of water. Better, we've hit warm in an ocean. Well, well, we're learning a.
Speaker 10: Delta downtown. What's happened?
Speaker 4: Cross checked their position, sir. The signal is getting weaker, but your fix is right. It's within one hundred yards of this set.
Speaker 10: Let's get outside. Maybe it crashed into the fields.
Speaker 4: Where is it? There's nothing else that there must be.
Speaker 10: Maybe it crashed into the trees or come.
Speaker 9: On, come over, how the.
Speaker 6: Look look?
Speaker 4: I'll read it so but I don't know.
Speaker 12: Go on.
Speaker 4: On Saturday, July fourteenth, at fourteen hundred hours, a telephone call was received from Missus Albert Tanner et ceterus ceteru, and on going out to the back lot, we could see no sign of the space disc our Attention was then drawn by Missus Tanner to the fish pond from which steam could be seen rising. On inspecting the pond, a small circular object approximately eight inches in diameter could be seen floating on the surface. On attempting to retrieve the object, it disintegrated as attacked by a powerful corrosive end of report.
Speaker 10: Well, you forgot about the men inside. You've got to say something about their size.
Speaker 4: We never saw them, mister Tanner.
Speaker 9: What do you do?
Speaker 4: Don't do that, Tana, mister Tanner, I'm doing this for both of us. If I sent in the report, nobody would believed it's better this way.
Speaker 7: No, it's the truth.
Speaker 10: You saw it happen. Why you know what's happened.
Speaker 4: The only thing I know is there's no proof. As far as I'm concerned, it didn't happen. I never saw anything, I never heard anything. That's going to be my report, mister Tanner. No occurrence, incident closed. Good afternoon, mister Tanner.
Speaker 2: Under the direction of Anthoni Ella's Escape has brought you The Invader by Mychael Gray, starring Howard McNear. Faye Baker was heard as Martha, with Edgar Barrier as the Commander. Featured in the cast were Paul Freese, Peter Leeds, Bill Bissel and Leroy Leonard. The special music for Escape is composed and conducted by Leith Stephens.
Speaker 1: Next week, you are alone on the deck of a stinking convict ship becomed in a yellow fog, while somewhere in the dark below you, free from the cells that held them, is a deadly band of murderers seeking out your life.
Speaker 2: So listen next week when Escape brings you Weston Martyr's exciting story a sleeping draft. Tomorrow Night, Lux Radio Theater brings back the Miracle of Our Lady of Fatima for another thrilling performance. Eleven year old Susan Whitney recreates her original screen role as the child who first saw the prophetic vision, co starring with Jay Carrol Nash. Also Tomorrow Night and most of these same CBS radio stations, don't miss Joseph Cotton in Suspense's eerie production of the musical drama Tom Dooley. This is Roy Rowan speaking, and remember Daytime is a Gaytime with Arthur Godfrey Time on the CBS Radio Network