Speaker 1: You just developed that secondhand you know thing. He would do chords like that. You showed me how to do it. I thought, well, that's cool, but I didn't think nothing of it. I thought, of course, if you put your finger down, how it's gonna make nooy right? And I thought, I watch a good trick. I use it for like, you know, stupid little things. But Ed picked up on it. With the venues were totally rock and roll. I mean, I'll leave you you're reading.
Speaker 2: Little hands this, It's time to rock and roll roll.
Speaker 1: I totally booked.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to Booked on Rock conversations with authors, musicians and insiders revealing the stories behind classic rocks, greatest songs, albums, and artists. If you're enjoying the show you'd like to support it, you can sign up for the Booked on Rock Backstage Pass on Patreon for just five dollars a month, get every episode commercial free and before everyone else. You can use the link in the show notes or visit Booked on Rock dot com. Now onto our guest. I'm very excited about this. I'm joined by legendary guitarist Terry Kilgore, a long time mixture of Southern California's rock scene, whose remarkable careers included close friendships with Eddie Van Halen and David Lee Roth, along with acclaimed guitar and songwriting work on Roth's solo albums. After surviving the devastating ETN fire that destroyed his home, studio and treasured guitar collection, Terry is making an inspiring comeback with his brand new album, The Devil's and the Details, and he is here to share the incredible stories behind the music and the journey. Terry, thank you so much for coming on the show, and we also have to be here. Christy's with you as well. Christy, you are singing on this upcoming album.
Speaker 1: Right Yet the lyrics we're going to bang up job very different.
Speaker 2: Singing then we produced together. I go on the studio sometimes sometimes we go together, and for the production.
Speaker 1: They're not much coming out different than anything I've ever done. But you know, that's what I want to do. When you want to do things that you haven't done, you have to do things that you don't do, you know.
Speaker 3: Get that couple and the stage name is Corpus CHRISTI right, I.
Speaker 4: Love that that's my stage name.
Speaker 1: Yet that's cool, he played out live more than I do. I mean, really, you know, it's I'm desperately trying to make sense of a studio that's inside of an RV, and it's different, you know, the gears up the snuff. It's better than it ever been. But you know, it's like when you when the fire hit. I mean I wasn't thinking, obviously I'd take a six hundred guitar, six hundred dollars guitar and leave the thirty thousand dollars burn.
Speaker 4: It was like, well, you had a fire all coming at you, so you weren't thinking.
Speaker 1: I've never seen the like of it. Nobody ever has, I don't think. And then you know, the bower off at six o'clock and then they shut the water up at about three in the morning, and we just couldn't couldn't get wet enough. It was age redwood. My place was one hundred and forty years old and never had a not a hitch. And then they tried to say it was you know, homeless people up there smoking cigarettes up in two thousand feet up in a power tower. Then we come to fly that all twenty six towers that lead up to Sohmar are all faulty. Because they didn't want to upset their shareholders, so they burnt nine thousand structures and their CEO got a sixteen million dollar bonus.
Speaker 3: Unbelievable. That was almost exactly a year ago, wasn't.
Speaker 1: It a year and a half ago? In the r for a long all these years. Let me tell you something might be fun on camping trip, but you don't want to live in the morning.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was too long.
Speaker 1: With all the amenities, it's still opinion. You ask because you're you're in basically get a fiberglass kiln and do work in there. You have to have wind blowing on you all the time, you know, so it stretches the opinion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we spend time in the studio, we spend time playing here, and then.
Speaker 4: He doesn't get out. You play out a little.
Speaker 1: Bit, but more it's like, you know, well, you've played in front of a lot of people and you're doing whatever. It's not much fun to play in front of ten twelve people in these clubs. It's really gotten small out here, that team. It's small. I mean if you go into the only places that we know they're really doing business, or like beer bars and regular drinking bars that maybe you have enough rooms, set a band up that has to stand amongst the audience, just like they're part of the you know, the the clientele. So it doesn't have a stage feel to it.
Speaker 4: And for me, I'm fine with anything.
Speaker 2: I don't play anywhere anyone asked me, and so we play a house of Blues quite a bit.
Speaker 1: He's got a good out the cuff thing. She can adapt quick. I can adapt. But it's just like you get used to. I have a certain idea about how I want to be projected and I haven't gotten to it yet because it does a lot of work.
Speaker 4: You've been in a r V doing your life.
Speaker 2: I mean, so I think that you just need to give yourself a little bit of time again.
Speaker 1: So well you take ship for granted, because you know, I had a beautiful studio and I'm thinking I go in there and record anytime. I'll wait. Now it's work.
Speaker 2: He's got a bit of a life adjustment until his everything sorts out and he gets his house back. You know, once he gets a house back, it will change. But right now he's been uprooted, so yeah, he's not playing out like you used to.
Speaker 4: But that'll change.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I would play off. But you know, I don't want to play standards. I mean, I'm going to play that funky music, white boy fas I came from.
Speaker 4: You're going to play your originals.
Speaker 1: I I think the guys would do that. They relegate themselves to that life. Yeah, if you play that kind of ship, people will devaluate the value the department. We don't make any money at all.
Speaker 4: I don't find funky music right by.
Speaker 1: But he's just like paid to do this ship, you know, And I was better when I got paid.
Speaker 3: I think a belated birthday is in order, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's good.
Speaker 4: You're so good.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, seventy one years young.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I'm in a better shape than some of them. But you know, I don't I don't know what Dave did him so, but he looks bad and he was strong. Believe me, when I worked with that guy, You've never seen stronger fingers. He could take his middle fingers and put him out of door jam and take his whole weight up down with it several times those from binding and stuff.
Speaker 3: So yeah, he's always been an amazing shape. I think he's the same.
Speaker 1: He would have been a great gym coach.
Speaker 3: Right, or a game show for teacher can.
Speaker 1: Get stuimes that backfires out sword fighting? You remember on Jimmy Kimmel's kind of backfire. Oh yeah, he knocked about knocked.
Speaker 3: His beak off, exactly did you see that?
Speaker 1: With your own story, you got to look at that like, hey, if that was a blade, you'd be missing your snobs now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you grew up in a very musical family right in Altadina. Talk about that. Your father had a love of rock and roll and your mother was a Flamenco guitar player.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I learned basically, I picked up the guitar. She played Flamenco. But it was a craze in nineteen sixty there was a big Flamenco craze and all the housewives will get guitars and learning Flamenco. And she got to serve. My uncle's taught her, and I mean real Flamenco. You work on compos your right hand for a year before you've ever touched anything over here. So it's like being a heart player that you have to learn all those techniques and be able to play them in time. So my mom was a harsh judge. You know what, I mean, my progress is slow. You as you suck, you get to do that. And you know, she had a a Flamenco guitar that had action about that tall, so it was not comfortable to play. And then finally I got, you know, my first I think it was a nineteenth Strand who in the sixty seven or eight telecaster, and after beating it up for a couple of years, I got an SG and then everything. That's when the Golden Era started, with the cool amps, you know, fifty old fifty watt marshals and the uh you know Goodman audience speakers that were in high watching. We've got a really exotic, clandestine sound out of these things back then. And Ed had that ed super lead was the same one that they used at the Rose Fils for Reynolds at sixty eight Fletchy that John Zata bought. He played that thing to where I remember it was in fifty one fifty always left with the chassis. The box was gone. Yeah, a rearstat, a big rearstat, right, So Don Landy really got to give Don Landy a lot of credit for that Van Halen sounds.
Speaker 3: Rest in Peace just passed away.
Speaker 1: Well that's what's don with that. You know, eleven seventy sixth compression like on drop Dead Legs where the chord comes in a home. That's like really ingenious pracket. So he used some good, good devices and don't don't forget to Evan legendary Evan died nine ten, which was on all Van Halen records and all Ozzy stuff because it's got you know, it had a really organic quality.
Speaker 4: Is that what we're trying to get?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had one.
Speaker 4: I burned it up, had everything burned up.
Speaker 1: You find him in special effects companies do folly and stuff like that because it has a keyboard. Players are crazy about it because the godlike quality, because it's got limits and it keys up on certain keys to define the mix. But you know, if you listen to what their progress was the ones, he was very frank to be about it. So which one did you like? Is Giver Down? I hated? So it's the worst record we ever.
Speaker 3: He's talked about that because too many covers.
Speaker 1: He didn't like fare Warning either. He it was hostile. It was a hostile period because they got to the point at Becordia. Rudy Laren, who was AD's guitar tech all those years and Greg Emerson who kills himself a suicide us. A lot of the guys that we worked with did just that. I mean Doug Birch we've turned with. He was decapitated of his way to the gorge. Do sound for a concerto from the Day and a half to find his head?
Speaker 3: Oh my god? Was Greg Emerson the one that they wrote the song uh for? It was the A bonus track on balance crossing Over?
Speaker 1: I think so yeah, it's it was I think something ed conveyed, but Sammy did the vocals and you know it's going to be his own viewpoint. But they needed somebody like Samy with the personality because Van Hall was pretty snotty when they had Dave. I mean they made people get those brown am and picked the brown m and ms out of stuck and they thought that would make them much more attentive to the She didn't want to get the bad end of those guys, because you know it with Sterling Ball and Edwards like this. They they had houses in Sagas that had the golf course right in between him meet on the golf course. They had a falling out over how much money I was getting off the music man guitars or whatever. So that went out there. You know, everybody that's dealt with them had to. They wanted more money. They were they're very European family. They they kept there to themselves financially and didn't let anybody in their deal, you know. And Dave was like ruthless. I mean, he just told me, guys, when he was first with van Halen, they were wearing you know, Crota sackers and Penalton and stuff, and that's what they did. And he said, you got to got to flash up a little bit, start dressing ed, you know, telling them what to dress did. They were resentful at first, but right of mine has We went to the Freakball, the annual Freakball at Lax and this was liketeen seventy three or four and a bunch of name acts. Van Halen got a spot there and I wish I could pull the pictures for that. Friend of mine has probably three hundred pictures no one's ever seen, all thirty five millimeters, you know, done on a like M five black and white, very cool stuff.
Speaker 3: Alex wrote the book Brothers, and he doesn't write about the time with Sammy at all. And he doesn't mention Sammy that they don't talk like Sammy wants to talk with Alex, but Alex is not talking with that.
Speaker 1: He didn't. Apparently Sammy became persona on Gradvy and they were completely oppose that they were so thrilled to have him, and I ted to tell you what, with all due respect, I mean, at their top when they really started making money from Ed Leffler. It was Sammy's. Sammy's manager was Ed Leffler, and he made them a lot of money. When he died, the whole thing got to where every why aren't you running this business? Everyone was not a businessman. He want to play guitar, so he wasn't handling it. Sammy was way experienced that it had made a lot of money for him, and he took over and they said, they said, who's going to run this thing? Alex?
Speaker 3: And then Ray Daniels stepped in.
Speaker 1: Ray Daniels, well, Sammy just kind of had his management and he want trying to find another manager, and they said, he You're going to let Sammy run this. You know, people got in between us, just hard to handle. Management got between me and Dave. Dave went off one night and I called him out on it because I went to school with I was saying, fuck, you're not going to do this to me, yell out the whole band, and we were so well rehearsed on me. But it was a very all of a sudden became apparent that this is going to be a Van Halen Top forty tour. And I was a friend with Everage, so it was an insult to me to have to play his shit. He didn't want to play it, but when you were a dave, you're going to be stuck with that for at the end of time. That's his that was his thing. I understand that, but I just soon got out of it because I was getting paid for the publishing and mechanical roads. These aren't that great out on the road these days, in fact, that people aren't even averaging two thousand dollars a week.
Speaker 3: Is it publishing for the songs on your Filthy Little Mouth or is it?
Speaker 1: Well, I had half that record. I mean, there's a five forty five percent of the publishing of that record, and it just wet Plattum about a year ago, after what twenty something years, Because all of his stuff sells generally, it's on the Van Handlin catalog withst So. But I haven't seen a whole lot of money of it. I mean there's one incident where I asked for money and got it because he was holding my checks and she's Christy go for the Diamond Dave Enterprises.
Speaker 4: And right now the time that you could use the money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, so it's like more in this w They knows. I'm many jam. I don't expect anything. I didn't expect anything from Edward. I mean, Everard said he's gonna help get a record done in nineteen eighty seven. We worked on it real hard, but he had to go to Betty Ford so many times that year that that he just he could attention. It couldn't be given to it.
Speaker 4: And you had your you got your income.
Speaker 1: Relacious motorcycle action, I told him, I said, ed I've been driving motorcycles for thirty years. You should not be driving one. There's some guys that should drive them.
Speaker 3: So right now you're owed money from from the your filthy little mouse.
Speaker 1: I'm certain that a lot of sources only money I'm seen to Donald.
Speaker 3: And where where does that stay? Have you spoken with attorneys?
Speaker 1: Twenty two songs published out there that I'm not making money on it.
Speaker 2: He speaks with attorneys for Edison, but right now, like his studio burns, so that was a source of income.
Speaker 4: His rental property for literally.
Speaker 1: Took my whole. I mean, my mom's ashes, my brother's actions, my step everything's gone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm so sorry to hear that.
Speaker 1: I mean, nothing, nothing left. And I didn't wasn't thinking, you know, I'm I was sitting there with a Jamie hunting out on the lawn chair, it out in the front. I said, you know what, I get pretty well, only if a firestorm could take me up. Right.
Speaker 3: There was a gofund me and I know it was posted on the Van Helen news desk too.
Speaker 1: Oh my daughter raised forty five thousand dollars for me. Yeah, thank you, and I paid. I gave her a lot for her college, and she helped her mother and got her a car because we were gone.
Speaker 4: So it definitely helped.
Speaker 1: It definitely helped. Thank you to anybody. A lot of my cousins and a lot of my friends came forward. I'm breakless hell, but you know what it's at this day and age, he's got to make a lot of money just to live. I mean, it's got to be tough with Connecticut, the taxes, a property taxes.
Speaker 3: Durer, Trust me, I have a day job that I don't necessarily love, but I got to make a living and then I come home, and then I come home and I do this stuff and I love talking to people like that in the.
Speaker 1: Vacuum tube business and retired. I finally retired. I did business over the front of mine and I still get residual from it. But I'll tell you what, that was a damn good business. Compared to the music business in the last twenty years, it's been horrible. I mean, really, nobody signed a deal if you if you had to, if you're an act that was established, like even Steve Pearcy, and you know, they struggle. Warren doesn't struggle though, but you know Pearcy's out there playing a lot. We're killing him. They basically killing himself. It's tough to go and tour around the country. The first thing you're going to get if you go out in the spring and winter time, you're going to get pneumonia in within five weeks because they don't let you sleep.
Speaker 4: Well, that was the two you were on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they didn't make it when you go out with Dave was not like fun and games. Yeah, gets he gets mad at everybody, and you don't want to be a guitar player, sound or a drama with that guy. He just now he doesn't say anything, But before it was like I was so important. It ruined a lot of fun times. We had great shows. But man, he was always so just and was it?
Speaker 3: Raylu Zero said he was on the receiving end of one of those.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Ron Wicksow and Matt Businette was not real wild about him either. They went at it quite a bit because you know, when Greg's could get along with anybody, you have to be kind of a I don't know, gregarious type person to be around him and put up with it, because if you get on his inner circle, he's going to start picking at you. It's a he's a different guy. He's been that way since he was fourteen.
Speaker 4: I have family members like that.
Speaker 1: You know, he's got a thing that his parents may have go to some juvenile delinquent class, and he never forgave before it.
Speaker 3: That's the question. What people always have, like, is the Dave that we see on camera on stage, is that the Dave that's you know, when the cameras are off. Is he the same way?
Speaker 1: It's not the same, And wherever you go it's different. You go, well, we're gonna get this, We're going to get this today. Or he's exceptric and he's funny, but you know he plays weird games. I mean, Robin Ford got mangled up by his weiler's estra Clara. He gave up his aunts. Right. He'd make me walk by the cave you sit the dog to bite my genitals up. I'm going where near you. Yeah, they were like little boys. They lived in the in the rooms of the mansion with my masters. That's all pour up, you know, it's like just the dogs rooms. He had a big place. His place was owned by originally owned by J. P. Doherty. Dougherty was like one of the guys that was sitting on the board of directors with Rocket Brother when Keeddy Roll made him split the world up.
Speaker 3: Oh you talk about the mansion that day lives in now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was Orange Groves, yes, and that was his summer homeies. He's really his winter homes in Pennsylvania where the oil was, of course, but it was a beautiful place that I mean, it goes but he's still all the way down that.
Speaker 4: Weddings, doesn't he.
Speaker 1: But yeah, well he did for a while because it's not really financially solid. Well yeah, and then he sold his publishing. And that's my question, is word of my end of that publishing gets sold? I want something to I heard him talk about that. But you know, Dave was never a big on promoted when ever since Steve I really got a hand up from Dave. He really did. I mean, Steve sold more record than Dave did on the next record that he was away from him, And uh, he didn't ever forget that he was about to help anybody else. Really here, I'm going to put you forward. He would. He got mad at me. He took away all my interviews, all the magazine stuff. So I was basically an unknown, as unknown as I was when I went in. I went out only the people that knew me, the people I knew in the business in New York, which is better than the la which I was at eight O two of local work. Seven didn't you ship for me? Uh? Eight O two got the jobs.
Speaker 3: You had to have thought. You know, when you're chosen to be the guitars for Dave's album, you had to have thought. You saw what it did for the careers of Vibe.
Speaker 1: I figured out I was going to go up a couple of wrongs, but then it looked at the Jason Becker. I felt bad about picking up where he because he was done. Because als is like you said, he went across the street, he just stopped, couldn't move, couldn't take another step. And you know, he's lived longer anybody I've ever heard of with that.
Speaker 3: Isn't that amazing? Yeah, he's uh, how old is he now?
Speaker 1: You only move his eyes.
Speaker 3: Yeah. They gave him a limited time and he is still going. A friend of his I've been in contact with and interviewed him, and he said, he's such an inspiration and he's just.
Speaker 1: Well, he's got a great musical mind. And the thing is he balanced the trickery with the musicality where sometimes you know, like George Lynch's good buddy of mine, and I kind of helped him in the beginning learn how to pendulum pick. Georgia. You had to double pick the guitar. This is forty five years ago, and I said, try this. He was wow, that's you know, back and forth with something that somebody showed me, you know, when I was a kid, and he's always George has always touted me, and he's a great technician, much better technician than I am. But the musicality gets a little bit out there, you know, the scary stuff. I mean, it's like it's got good totality, but the royal.
Speaker 3: Ear on your filthy little mouth. I I want to ask you about that because you have such a feel on the guitar and when I listened, I was listening to that album just today before this interview, just to to listen to all the songs that I love, which are uh, She's My Machine, Big Train Experience, the title track, Land's Edge. You have such a great feel, right, and that album is so interesting because it's got like country, it's got reggae, it's got jazz, it's got blues country. So yeah, what what when you when you sat down with him to go over the game plan on that What was he saying to you like, here's what we want to do because we brought in for the producer was right, So what was he saying to you like, here's what I'm looking for because your style is so unique, it's not like anything else.
Speaker 1: Went back out there with Steve Hunter and did a little bit of luck. But Steve, you know, with Mitch Ryer to Detroit wiel that he knew that that whole genre. And I put a guitar track on top of it and did well. But it was a move he was trying to get. It was like his art project. And I thought, you know, I like the hard rock stuff and we but in New York it's not really the mecca for hard rock and roll. Recording it good, you could do it, but the Hit Factory was like, you know, we were were going through a transition. They built that second factory down on fifty fourth. Remember when the blimp fell over the building. A look a propol lock they hang off the skyscraper there. It was funny. But with Dave's he would get in these moods when said, you know, we're going to do this and do that and then take it this way. And the whole process was fun. But then all of a sudden writing songs for Travis Trigger. I mean there was one weekend I went to New York from California three times in the weekend, so do one guitar correction. That's how extravagant it got. I mean the budget was. This is back in ninety three, you know, when it was not the music business was getting ready to implode.
Speaker 3: You know, it was a risky move on Day's part because we're talking about the climate of music at that time. It was grungey arrow, right, you know. So I always wondered. I thought maybe he was trying to try different styles to see what's going to stick and where he wants to go from there.
Speaker 1: You know, downtown, I remember it'suns that boulevard. In those days, you couldn't put a flyer on a pole because there were so many staples and so many flyers that you literally couldn't put anything on a pole that you couldn't post handbills, and you were getting in trouble for it. I mean they passed the fleet, took me to jail. Yeah, they took me to jail, and I had to paint off the I had to clean off all the all the we were using sticky glue to put our ads up for the weekend gags. If you didn't do that, if they don't know, they're not going This is pre internet, right, But it was a lot of you know, you did a lot of canvassing and stuff like that, and Van Hallen had all kinds of people doing it for them. What made them what they were was Steve Torremanti and Bob Ailey's whatever. Torremazi had worked at the Civic Auditorium in Pasadena, so he had an inn and they made a fortune on Van Helen and they had him there, and more ros is looking and going, wait a minute, these guys are filling the path of the Pacific and are signed acts. Aren't filling up Santa Monica Civic. This what garnered the attention. Then Milton Burrow sent his nephew and his crooked nephew in there, took all the money for the first grant. They came apart. I remember those guys, I would say they sacrificed a third of their life. Ye sure, it was alis. They did three three hundred day tours and three years in a row. So he would come home until he had slept in two months, I mean, and he every time he got back he was even more voracious cocadict, I.
Speaker 3: Mean racious dead. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that they went experimented beyond the Derek where they actually were tired of it, you know, yeah, wow, Because I remember it really messed at him in Valerie up they just did not get along because d would hide, you know. And I remember going up there many times going did you sleep last night? You wear the same clothes, and it just got you start to deteriorate on the drug itself. And but I'll tell you what, it never really affected his creativity and his guitar plank. It didn't it all the time. And he had a you know, he had that beautiful board from the one that they recorded Ben Huron. Yes, the first night Artist Jury console that Don rewired it. You had the big knobs, you know. That thing had toned up the butt. You didn't have to do anything, just turn it on and go through it like magic.
Speaker 3: When was the last time you spoke with Eddie?
Speaker 1: Well, he sent me a bunch of amplifiers for that tour, what four fifty one fifty stacks? I think he was trying to thumb Dave going here. And I used him during the tour and afterwards I wanted to thank him, you know, I told him we kind of made amends because we had a falling out over certain financial thing that I had to have handled and it wasn't being handled so you know, it was stupid shit. I mean at the time it seemed big. But I saw him at the montras the Rock and we talked for about half an hour, and he just seemed like he was distant here. I mean like he moved on from his old friends at Pasadena. There's really nothing that we could share that was any more than a laugh. You know, they ran different people. I mean, he was in a different old boat of you know. I actually I feel privileged because I was one of his real friends from the old days.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when did you first meet him? I'm curious to know when you first met him and what was your impression of him. He's quiet right in.
Speaker 1: A place called Barry Grassnek when I was thirteen, and I knew about him because we came. We played the first gig together. My band opened up for his band over on Allen Street.
Speaker 3: Ready kill At. It wasn't Ready kill a lot.
Speaker 1: Pre This is when Van Handle was called Trojan Rubber Company. Yeah, soon on days who couldn't play the ship And then I had two guys that I played with him and the guys that played drums. That night, sister threw an iron at his face and knocked over his front page right out of the Oh my god, and he came in smiling like that. We're lapping door and uh he We played kind of a funk rock and roll beats the who you know. It was like something I wanted to put together and play to some standards. But they played all cream stuff and only cream. But they did it exactly like the record, but the vocals, you know, this is we're high school, you know. Then I saw him again another gig. We started hanging out and he had a Bobul fifty nine vobile one sixty, remember those he had like an old tel. They get a cockroach back on him, you know, is.
Speaker 3: That the one that he had to tie He had to use guitar strings to.
Speaker 1: Car drings to the door. Yeah. I remember driving with him down Orange Grove and his girlfriend's in the front seat. She gave him a bunch of ship and he stopped the car Onwinees to spring on this side both over unwind and spring on yanked her out of the street, struck the door, gets back and kicked off. Me and Alix were sitting in the back seat going, well, you better turn around and pick her up, and he goes, yeah, funny about everything was like this, even when he was a multi millionaire, se got a smoke. Everything was fuck. And he even had a Ford mma that fuck you know it's for the Ford elbum. He just that was his word. He tried to explain people that what you have to go through to deal with them. I mean they dreaded the record. People dreaded him because you know, I talked to Tucker Carlton and we went off with Dave's record went off at four hundred and thirty ADS, which is like, man, you're going to be rich. And I was like, yeah, we're gonna make some money. Act right. And by the time we got to Kansas City, we've done about eleven gigs back East and we're coming back in mid Midwest and then going south. Tucker goes, we're in trouble underwater here he only got one hundred ADS left. I thought, oh fuck. I said, so I'm going to be living in a dog kennel instead of owning it. Right. He goes, pretty much, well, we know what we were in for.
Speaker 3: But well, I remember that tour in the beginning there was on the audience.
Speaker 1: Did he yeah, he took it out on the audience. And they fucking pelt at us. I mean, Jesus Ri Jamie got a lighter in the face, I got a shoe on the side of my People were taking her clothes off and throwing that. And not because we're popular. They have one of those baseball diamond things, you know, we're like that I did in that Blues Brother. They beat the hell out of it.
Speaker 3: It was quite a risk, though, with the music that he recorded on that album, because it wasn't of the time, right, and now if you listen to it now, it's it's I really urged those who listened to the album back then and may have given up on it, listen to it now, right, Yeah, without the context of the scene of the music at the time, which was grunge, and without the expectations of what we were expecting from a day of album. Just listened to it as an individual piece of work, and it's a real good.
Speaker 1: And that's a good thing to say, because everybody said the same thing what I had When I write songs, I mean, when I write something on the good I tried to make it was like, it wouldn't matter what year came out, I'm going to remember something about it. If you don't. How can I distinguish myself if I was Ever's best friend and I played just like him.
Speaker 3: Yeah no, you played your own style, man. And I'm going to tell you this, Jarre, I I really think now he did a great job producing it, but I wanted you up in the mix more.
Speaker 1: They kept burying me and it was like you had it. Garry Taull was a good big guy, but John Goldberger was shipping. And these are New York guys. I said, look at my demos were better than that record. I mean, as far as the vibe, you have to create this mundy vibey. Yeah, I ad this and make it into something. And that's what Nile Rogers told me. Goes, that's what you've got this gig for. Because you could set that picture up and then Dave looked like he looked at like this, look at I want this. I know exactly what he's talking about. I know exactly what he's talking about. So I do that. I know allays you was. I wanted to go. So here comes the cloud to cover the side, and I couldn't, and then the sun comes back out. It's like a no big thing.
Speaker 3: It likes like that I'm gonna say, I like that song. I have a friend who doesn't. I love no but a friend of mine.
Speaker 1: All the classic reggae dropped corrections and stot stuff, and it was done well. But you know, and he sings it actually pretty good. I mean he's talking about he has he's a good lyricist. I'd say some of his lyrics are great.
Speaker 3: Well, he was, he was changing his approach lyrically and also vocally. He had used a different approach, like he'd reached a different octavity.
Speaker 1: Like Michael Franks and Bonnie ray and stuff like that. I said, I know exactly where you're going. You want me to get you there? You gotta get and he get mad. I said, look at if you could Grant and ray Ball and you want, it's going to take ten days to squeeze the thing out to lay this egg. While you're done yet, I said, I didn't even started the progression yet. I mean, just don't you find something he likes that he'd give you. You got to pay it, like uh, everybody, every Vin Halen song had a street fight man beat to it. The popular that's that's where they picked it up. And then al turned kind of hot Rod to shuffle on it. You know, I listened to Jeff Lacaro Pacarl was brilliant shuffle man. That one that he picked up. He took him from his dad and John Bonham. He just had that they make it. It swung out sown. You mean, it was like a like a perfectly firing engine. That's time, the valves are working right, you know, it just synchronized. And I thought that we had that, uh, But Dave, we had a lot of trouble drummers on that record. We had Larry Abraman who was the Eastman grad uh he was way too stiff, Ray Brinker from uh Pat Banatar's outfit, and then Ron Wickso Wixso was probably the most fearless of all of them, but he was by no means the best one. We had Bob Burch coming on bank. You know, Bob chilled himself Elton John De bass player.
Speaker 3: Oh, and he does a fantastic job, Bob.
Speaker 1: David, what do you like? And I told him, Oh, why did they always have to be that way?
Speaker 3: And the drums, I mean, everything was it was pristine.
Speaker 1: Production, really great. I missed him, you know you know about John right, he was up in Poughkeepsie. That's where he was from. Where they go. What's the name of that town.
Speaker 3: Up there, peepsie New York, you're talking your.
Speaker 1: Fallow and they lived. He come down in New York. But he did a lot of records. He worked for Pete Raptor for years.
Speaker 3: Right, And wasn't he on Aces in Acest's band?
Speaker 1: Like all the bass on the record, I know that much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, Steve Hunter rhythm guitar on one track. John Reagana passed away. Tony was living in Old Redwish, Connecticut.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, he was the one song at chevro Lke commercial back in the early nineties. Oh wow, didn't drive worth ship like.
Speaker 3: Rogers, Yeah, John. John Reagan was an ace Fahilei's band. Yeah, aast Phillies comment eighty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, John was a crimch of a guy.
Speaker 3: But getting back to like, yeah, I thought I would have loved to hear your in some spots your your guitars up in the mix, but you know, and others it's it's buried more like a pop record, I guess, But your guitar was driving those songs. And then the other one I forgot to mention is every Everybody's Got the Monkey would have been a single. I thought Ilway thought that it would have been a great.
Speaker 1: Well that was Frank Simoner's tune, and I thought it was a worthy song. But he just didn't it. He was emphasizing trying to sell filthy. You know that that one line the title track, right, and then you never know which is like a Robert Johnson thing I put together. I just had that. He said, mentioned Bonnie Rakers and said, I'll give you something that Bonnie rate would do. And that was my talent, was I I could lean into that. You know, she's more of a country thing, so I'm leaning kind of country into it, and it's made a different it's giving us a different effect because she comes from a whole different place. And that's kind of what I wanted. Yeah, because you can't control it, learned from you can't control everything, and that's what he has. His problem is that he has the control freak and ever turned into a control freak. They wanted this, and you know, if you look at Samuel with all due respect, when Dave's dad called Ben handle up and said, listen, we want get back with you guys. You can make real money Alex said, with all due respect, we have twelve top ten hits with this guy. They went from twenty million to seventy million, so there's no disputing it.
Speaker 3: I thought that Dave probably expected to be back before the end of the eighties. I don't think he expected Sammy to success.
Speaker 1: He did, but when he you know, as you said that on stage when they were when Beck was on the stage, you know that.
Speaker 3: The artists bade six ninety six mtvv D.
Speaker 1: That's a lot of time. I talked Daddy. He said, I want to kick his balls up around his head because you know ed him always had. They never got along, no, never, and he would listen to him and they but they were not after that second tour. Rudy said that by the time that nineteen eighty four came out, He said, they were all in separate buffets. They didn't speak to each other, even.
Speaker 3: The brothers, and who knew right and who knew you know, on the outside, all the fans were just thinking, man, they must be all happy.
Speaker 1: Is everybody had their own entourage and it's the people they could stand to be around on the road. They had control off because when you have all that conflicts like when we got off, we did Lewis Muno Stadium as a kickoff in sam Juan, Puerto Rico. Flew over to Miami and here the buses are waiting for us. Well, there's an old American Eagle that's got three hundred thousand miles on it with you know, tipic bearings that make more noise in our waking machine, an old walking machine. And then you have the brand new prevow guests who gets the prevow to crew in totals But wait, wait a minute, that's our feal. So we had to ride in the American Eagle and it was like we were kind of like the roadings were much better revered than we were, you know, theirst season. I mean, this is my first tour around the country. I knew what to expect, but it's like, my god, it was so cold that we had left outside those vestibules up to the gig and Dave would be talking to somebody on the bus and let us on or something going on like that. And me and James who came down with pneumonia like the first three weeks in that tour and I had about five and a half months. You know, because you travel it chills, all the watermen seeing you and you got to take We were running for those beach twelve shots. I mean, we couldn't get your pants off fast enough, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I told you before we before we started recording, I saw you at the Sting in New Britain, which is no longer there, the Sting in New Britain, Connecticut. That was October of ninety four. I believe I just graduated from college. Green Day's Duchie was the big thing, and and I just remember my brother and I went to see you play there and that that is now I think a CVS something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember that, you know. I'll tell you another thing. There's the funniest thing we started seeing with that on the second leg before I quit, there was half the crowd there worth it. On the first leg, it just wasn't the sales it was. I don't think it was his fault. Motley felt Van Halen record fell in the dirt.
Speaker 3: It was a difficult time to be a rock and roll band that came out of the seventies or eighties.
Speaker 1: It was like, well, the fun part was when I was we never went to a lot of plays. I went to ninety they played Gazaaris ninety four times. I was there at least sixty five times for that nothing to do as a kid. Further, Die would go out to Fribady, go down there, and I watched them do what they had to do, and it was like they worked really hard and they were really poor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you had to have known obviously seeing Eddie play, like, yeah, this guy's going somewhere. But also David, I know what he was.
Speaker 1: Twelve years old. I though him, She's I got some work to do, right, And I was more than fair hand. I mean because I had guitar experience up the yet end. In fact, what's broader than ever ever very but he knew what was good back in those days. Listen nineteen seventy eight, seven, eight and nine. Guitar was a black art. Where's guys that could play it, But we didn't know what the hell we were doing. You know, you got chromatic scales comminised and all that, and start combining him and sliding out of him in and raising the fifth and doing whatever. And I just wasn't afraid with ever. You had to go balls out even to get close to what he was doing. They were a force to be reckoned. With and they didn't even know it, you know, like they couldn't rehearse at their place loud when they got Mike. When Mike got in the band ever to mark Stone, there was a studings got you in the Hankies and they got jealous and every went out drove his cards with their garden and did donuts and the link but you know ed was when they played the Emler's House. I mean, god, they were bringing two thousand people in backyards back then. It was a place, I mean huge yard. And when they signed it was like I had a free ticket then because they were gone and we still have that kind of audience. So we we got we reverbed off that for about five years. Then we had to go up to find another crowd. You know, they were playing Madam Wongs and you know with Susie and the Badgies and Dwight Yoakam and a lot of people were out there playing for very little money.
Speaker 3: What was your opinion of Michael Anthony. We haven't talked about him yet. It seems like a great guy.
Speaker 1: It's the nicest guy in the world. I think Mike I stood next to him in one of those Uh what is this the like the OLiS like you know, the Ace Garden Center. He was buying a hose. I'm looking like this. I didn't say nothing to him because I've known him so well for some I remember when he came in seven late seven too. He was had the nice kiss gear was nice. He had a Chevrolet Kingswood wagon. You're never now Dragno's vocal cadets.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, the cadet.
Speaker 1: He got an opal Cadet wagon that was like. He has that mounted on the wall at his house now with a deer. He's crazy, you know. And when you go up the stairway, you go up the spiral staircase, you start walking down the hall to his bedroom. He's got at least one hundred platinum records up there. Right. He turns around, looked at me and goes cuts down on the foreplay. But he was actual first I've ever seen he never ever was with a woman. I remember him seeing him. Wow, he'd hang out with him, but no girl, no woman to possession of that place. She had no girlfriend. In fact, I know a girl was crazy about him, and I said, don't do what I think you're going to do. She followed him in to the gate. When the gate opened up, she came in the hard behind him. She got chewed out mad for that. Wow, I mean, he's just like one of those guys he called me about. You've got to get down here. I be down waiting in the front. He goes, you're the inter cones. What are you doing jamping out over there? Look, you told me to be here. I rang the bell.
Speaker 3: He's got a room that's dedicated strictly to all of his outfits on stage and sunglasses long when he's irritated.
Speaker 1: If he doesn't get his nap, he doesn't get his coconut soup in the morning, look out ed Anderson, who is liaison. Oh my god, Ed got caught showing his underwear on EBD. That was the end of that. And Karen mccellen and Migliolti, the guys that were putting together his Dave TV or whatever they got, they got him for like age discrimination, and I was gonna work with him. He want to do ten more songs of me, I said, listen, with all due respect. After the DLR bend, I'm not really in a hurry to give my music away for nothing.
Speaker 4: Now you have one song you want to put on our album.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, it was a song called dirty Work. He loved it. I thought, Yo, I'll give it to you, but you got to give me ten grand for it, and you can put your name on. I don't care if you mentioned me, because he's not real good at promoting his friends. I mean, ever since Steve. Why he's got there's a little ego thing in there. You know, a little bit of narcism. All lead singers have it. It's called LSD. Lead Singers Disease. No but.
Speaker 3: Present company.
Speaker 1: I think Mike was really short changed by man Hale and they turned him into an employee. That was the last straw that showed me that, Okay, this guy's gonna been with him since the very beginning. He was the backbone of their backing vocal squad. You take Mike Anthony out there, you ain't got no backing vocals in there. He was a great I don't know what you call him a tenor, but he the guy could hit the notes and he had that pipe like voice. I don't think it was really a lead singer's voice. He sang lead, but just he complimented Don. Don was no ted Templeman saw the what was what their deal was the only way and they got away with all that is that Letterman style Brooklyn Bridge backing vocals right, Dave put Dave could sing along with him, but Ed was Ed's voice was plain in tune but plain. You know, you wouldn't look at it like it was a lead vocal. And I had a lead quality vocal. But I hate singing, never liked it. The joy of it means I've got to do two jobs. You get paid once.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because he's gonna on one of the songs.
Speaker 1: When I started singing, we did all the trio stuffs you need, chop stuff. After singing, I'd be so inspectorate, exasperate. I couldn't figure out what solar I wanted to do. It took a long time to get used to do. Then you just cut if we didn't know what the hell we were doing. But in doing that you learn how to improvise. I mean, you had a guy come over to my house, a black guy that was a base at a bass player, ate up all my spaghetti and meatballs, book of all the weed, took all my money and then show you how to improvise. And he said, you know you're too white. You just stepped off the meat. And you know, after about eight hours of beating the ship out of me, I kind of picked up on it. I was better at you know, on the on the and I have a good memory. So if I did something on the fly that I remember, let's do that. But there were bits and pieces back then. You know you had to do is get a riff. You were bad as I had. There was a lot of gigs, a lot of opportunities. Van Hanlins weren't around anymore. If you want to get anybody that could play cohesively, you're going to get my group or Smile or Snow one of those guys.
Speaker 3: When did you form Ready to kill a lot?
Speaker 1: Seventy seven seventy six? Yeah, the drummers he passed away. I hate that really got to me because he had a lot of It was the same thing. He wasn't a very good drummer when it came down to it. But in those days, we pushed it so hard that we were actually kind of lame good. You know, if you came to see if you know what you're going to get, you're gonna get some good chops. And the tone was right, you know it, Ha'd be just so, but we really don't what we were doing. I mean there was a band of Uncle Sam that played all the standards like the led Zeppelin to the Bone and Mick uh, you know, Mick Mars. Mick was MC deal. He was an a band called White Horse and they played Gizar along with Van Allen and they did exact copies dancing days, you know, off the you know, they did Zepp very well. Mick was a great player, a very nice guy. You know, he didn't get happy. You know, I asked him, really what it did growth growth girls, how much money you made with Motley so far? It was about six hundred thousand dollars. I thought, six hundred thousand dollars. They gave you grocery money compared to what they took, you know. I mean, it's like that's what they did to Michael. I mean, how did you feel like you were a quarter partner and then they changed the deal like three shuffle of deck, go you're an employee now, and he shut his mouth and took it. You know, that's like sad it is it is they did that to him, They go to anybody. I thought, man, these guys have changed, and a lot of people that't mad about it. A lot of people that were in Pasadena that were they're good friends. They just bomb boy eyes. We don't see you no more.
Speaker 3: Why do you think they got rid of Nola Monk as their manager?
Speaker 1: No, it had it. Noah was a sex pistoles manager. That's where he came from because the sex Pickles were a bunch of fuck ups and they got all the promotional money to take off. When Marshall Borough stole all the Van Hale's money, they crawled in under the door, according to every he said. Then we had to work. And Brick Deringer's wife, Liz Deringer used to write for Rolling Stone or something. She said, you guys are going down the road wrest her life, and she was right. They did, like eighteen fifteen hundred days out there. All four records were toured the same. I mean they did every possible git they could do well, you do you know sometimes two shows a night and then Alex at light Trust help Lamna's head to Italy. Bember killed him. If you had to be wearing that neck bridge his habit of falling off, you know. Dave injured himself. Everard broke both of his wrists.
Speaker 3: Dave did a splitting his head on the on the disco ball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we had dangerous, a dangerous trade when you look at it like that. They were rough and tumble with you know. But when you reach that point where you still think you're a kid, but you're forty years old, forty two years old, you go about a roller record. I was saying, you bite the you bite the rail.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: It's I don't see how they possibly had the energy. It's a different world now, you know.
Speaker 3: Sure, Dave was doing the splits right up until like two oh three.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, he did it all the way through our situation. But I remember that he was paying out about eighteen thousand dollars a week for those buses and the crew, and it's like, geez, I mean, you better be making some money out there, because I see him. Premier talent don't exist anymore. There's no map. Pete was with Dave all those years at the Picasso Brothers, right, yeah. Yeah. Heete owns the Black Crows, he's their manager. So he had the map and he and he heard the record filthy, and he didn't mind me to do with it. I was kind of offended. I thought, hey, I did well on that. I wrote good songs. It wasn't that. He just saw that. David was losing his mind because he said, look at you can't portray the stinging kind of a thing. You don't have account that Sting does. I mean, it's not going to be the same cut of thing that Sting would put together.
Speaker 3: He cut his hair, looked like, yeah, had that.
Speaker 4: I like.
Speaker 1: What I liked Jay did was his blues. He's great blues, but he could have been a great blue singer.
Speaker 3: Hell yeah.
Speaker 1: The cover of the best that he didn't like to do at all.
Speaker 3: The cover of Nightlife, Willie Nelson's Knight.
Speaker 1: He did a great job on that, as did you and Steve Steve. Steve Hunter was the inspiration for that. He goes, uh, I don't know who did the I think the solo was done by It was a piano solo by champion Jack Dupree, and I transposed it and it just had that emotional But there was only a few deal a day. You got a few little emotions. It was like a circus act. Okay, here's the bunckey. You eat these pants now and then binger flip and get the poodles.
Speaker 3: Of covering right, Well, does he need somebody like what he was with Van Hallen to kind of keep him on track?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well he got his own advert, but it's.
Speaker 3: Very restless creatively.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I'm sitting there with Tuggle and Jamie and me, and we're sitting there and we're the of the core of the group, the bass player, guitar player, keyboard player, and we're sitting like this. And if the tour the tour catalog came out, I said, oh good, they're gonna have pictures of us. There wasn't one nothing. There wasn't one of us, one of Jamie. You can barely make it my way down at the end of the stage and it says musicians and the names are like, look at I got to put my bivocal dogs. I can see what who these people are. Anderson said, what do you think of it? I threw it at him, But you know we're part of this group, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I had a phobia for playing average stuff. I had to have really have. Jamie's brothers showed me how to play jump because like psychological block, I did not want to learn his stuff. The magic to me was when you know, when I learn Jimmy Henders stuff. I thought, that's all it is. It's what you got to put the you know, the mojo on it. And that's what we had in the old days. We don't have that now. I mean I still have a little bit of it, but you know, the mojo we can put the like. Warren was the same way. He told me, this is Warren's philosophy about the music and this. He said, take all your money to get cash it out everything cars, to hold the old all your instruments, he said, go to Las Vegas and wrapped. He said, you had a lot better chance of making them in the music pits because they also had Marshall Burrow, you know, so they took a hit too. But Warren didn't have to worry about that because he's one of the heirs of the Morris candy forks even do anything to worry about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he heard about that man and he's a great player.
Speaker 1: Milton and Martin. I don't know his dad was Milton or Martin, but he's always handled his money. Well it wasn't. Mormon was the guy that first got to give me a break. I got royalty, my first royalty money from a rat Detonator album.
Speaker 3: They which son which all or nothing?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Nothing? Oh okay, that's my rip.
Speaker 1: He you know Warrimons. He mentioned me in magazines all the time. He's a very generous guy, and I've been to his house many times. You know, his kids are all grown now, but I remember when they first moved up on Laurel. He was very nice. You know, he's been with the same woman for years. She he was a rock and roll photographer. And he's a very even temperate, nice guy. You know, he really is. He helped people, you know, he financed a lot of my recordings back then. A Silver Clown Joe Floyd the Warrior Band. He was also a great player. Joe was a great mix Maan. You know, you learned to pick up stuff all the way along. I used to go like people to walk come in and get any compressors because I don't know how to use one. Can learn. It's fun, you know, That's what I'm thinking. What the hell I grabbed that two hundred dollars guitar for and I didn't pull by eight thousand dollars focus right, didn't get the hell out of that rack and take it and put it in the trunk. You don't think of that when alse burned down?
Speaker 3: Did you show Eddie finger tapping or that was that?
Speaker 1: Well? Chris Holmes a wasp, actually was responsible for it because I was giving Chris lessons at a music store right here, at discount here Madre and Chris saw me getting the beef of the guy. I traded him less Paul for a sixty five number five fire, which I wasn't about the track. You wanted it back, I said, now you're going to box for it. Beat the shit out of the guy. Drip goes man, you know how to fight? I said, both guys are? They were school kids, and he goes, uh, you know, my friend Don Ivers got to fight with Harvey Mandel's son at a school. I thought, well, why are you telling me? He because I know where he lives, and I worshiped hard of me. I thought he was one of the greatest players of the early seventies. You know he had he just developed that second hand you know thing he would do. He would do chords like that and he got that kind of a freestyle. Didn't but he didn't take it where edd took it, but he looked. He showed me how to do it. I said, well, that's cool, but I didn't think nothing of it. I thought of first, if you put your fingers down, I's going to make knowing right. And I thought, what's a good trick. I use it for, like, you know, stupid little things. But Ed picked up on it with a vengeance, and he hated two things. He didn't like doing that, and he didn't like playing stratocasters, so he reparated everything with you know, that's the second hand thing where he really extrapolated. You know, but it's so used now that I wouldn't dare do it. When he went to Tremlo bar I used to play a strat he went to a Tremolo bar I went back to left Paul because you know, I had a responsibility. I was his friend. I didn't want to be identified like some little clone total that, you know, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Sure you want to be you know.
Speaker 1: However, goofy that was, and I would rather have mine than somebody else's, you know, Like I told Davis, I rather did tap it in my own rowboat. That'd be a first mate on your on your battleship. Sure you know he doesn't have the same kind of vibe as a guitar player, no guitar. I gave him the classical single one thirty two that he uses on stage. But I can't figure out why he doesn't stretch out a little bit and do something different, you know, because the Van Halen thing is that that's all you're gonna be known for. I would not want to play that zep into eternity. Songs are great, but you know it just I didn't feel like I could really camp up, jump and go through all that big deal, you know. So I just played at real stock like alplays it and those guys got a gravey gig. We had a hard gig. It was a lot of more emoltual stress.
Speaker 3: You I mean, oh, I would think, because that was a difficult tour. As you said, it's.
Speaker 1: My business class one way and then go on a tallecar the way out.
Speaker 3: But you have your own tone. How would you describe your tone? It's got a really cool feel to it.
Speaker 1: Ed used one hundred Watch, and I didn't only like the Marshals like I liked the high Watch script logos. You know. The fifties real hard to find, and we used to go to Nadine's music store. It a big fat guy there that played guitar, and I liked it. Give eat stuff a flying V down into his pocket to go this is I got to play one of these, and I said, I like that market because you got to hear the script logo. And I was fifty dollars short of getting it, so I went way out of the limb getting fifty bucks to buy the Marshall's four hundred. I got that one, and I strake another four to fifty up for the high Watch. The tone I have was undeniably good, and Harmony had given me an EP one at two echo Plex, which was a big part of that because preampt the amps and then uh then we started using advantide. That was like, wow, I've got this godlike tone. It was fun for backyards. It worked a lot of places, but then the bigger the places were the rest it would work because you got these big rooms, you know we've got. We played some horrible rooms to gymnasiums, they said, gigs up everywhere. The best places to play really were outdoors, which you could play so fucking loud and get a mix of some sort. And everybody struggled with PA system somebody could get a more powerful That's why Van Helen got Dave, because he had an eight to fifty acoustic type and then they upgraded it to what were those out the out the alt tech twelve forties or wherever they were was the theaters. Yeah, we're so desperate that we went to Blair High School. But got my manager and we crawled up the sports towers and took the radiator slots of Big JBOL radio slots out of the out of the public address for the games. Well wrote them down and built the cabinet form down. You don't we use it for a head. I used one hundred and twenty what Matt app.
Speaker 3: But I hear what I listened to Ready Kill Awtt. Just the one song is available online Liquid Lady, and I listened to you Filthy Little Mouth or your songs on de l R band. It's pretty pretty similar, right, I mean it's pretty consistent.
Speaker 1: Well, I always choose, like you know with Nile Rodgers, Nile Ahead so much money, I mean sick, I said, I need a telecaster for everybody's got the monkeys. That's what I felt that that would be the best, best sounding thing because Dave wasn't let me use my ordance, and they brought a Neve Kelso in which I said, anything you could fart to one of those things. They sound great, but I played it. I said, well, I want a telecast because what year you want? What do you mean? Because I got all the years, I mean for nineteen fifty one broadcaster, all the way down to a sixty five. I said, give me a fifty eight. He goes, and you go get into fifty eight. Comes out. It's a beautiful blonde fifty eight so powerful, I mean, ten times more gain than a regular telecaster. And I dailed it. You know, it was an easy thing, he said, he goes, it's a van healing song. Basically, Frank built it like a van healing song, right, that interesting timing, But for some reason it didn't fly. Kept trying to get you'd never know to do it, and I thought it was a little left to center, you know, I'll tell you what. They loved that record. A lot of people really liked it, and I liked it, but it was we had a hell of a time playing some of them, like you're breathing. It was, you're bringing us a brilliant thing. We turned into a rap song. I thought, this is not working for me. You know, it was its own preference. It couldn't deal. But you know I did that record four months and it took it three years to finish it. I just sat around on payroll, you know, just going well. Some day they get ste.
Speaker 3: And think about how much music had changed from ninety one to ninety four.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, you know that's the thing. By time to get taught up. I understood the business en it was ICM. William wore ICM premiere. They'll put you on the map, they'll take you out. You don't even the companies leaving loaning the money to go on these tours, but you got to pay it back. And if you have got poor you know response, and you don't have people out there canvassing that ship out of it, which think were doing. When the Segrums did that buy out, it was like it was over right there. I had a deal lined up with David Geffen and it was just when dead flat that day, it was over.
Speaker 3: Wow, Geffen.
Speaker 1: I had to grow another group together that was pretty good. I'm Chris Iman on Base and Mike Sodo and Drugs that we were tight. We had a really cool sound. But you know, it was getting the point where it's like, she how long am I to keep selling the snake oil. It wasn't like the old days. We played ready to Kill a watch we ape shit. You know, I played a solo. I just rolled by the back of my head like a great white shark and start biting. You know what I mean? You do it. People thought it was brilliant because it really was. You hadn't tried to make it sound good. You know, I participated more in my own style that I do now. You know, because you get wider, you have to be virtual. With Dave, You've got to be really virtual to get anything out of it because he has good background in music.
Speaker 3: He really does. Man, Yeah, he's got an appreciation.
Speaker 1: He said, I want you to listen to this record. Just I knew what he was doing, you know. Yes, I'd always admired Angus Young. He said he's the best of the best, because how can you beat a c DC right?
Speaker 3: Him and Wolfgang always listened to power Age.
Speaker 1: I think that was the I thought Motley Crue many times because I Rudy toured with him and I know him bick real well. I sold him the sixty seven flex he used on girls, Girls Girls. I hated it and he looked because it's the Jose bod right, and Jose was like his moods were like radio shack, but they were brilliant. You remote standby. I mean, I'm gonna need that for a garage band. So Mick flaying and that's not a lot of times. Mortley Crue was way better than Ben Hill and life way better, much better, show better because Van Haim was so fucking loud. I mean we played the decimal beater night. It was one hundred and thirty two. That's like sticking her head into a terrible fan motor on takeoff. You know, it makes you hurt. And it was like a gunfight every night to come out there and just go god, it was it was a it was a trial in it, you know. And they could see. I wasn't happy because just like do we have to play beautiful girls? And like we have to play one of the devil? I mean, it wasn't. I felt like, I'm just we're playing a top forty set and then Tuggled was that's exactly what this is. I thought, Well, I didn't sign up for that ship but want that. Yeah, but it was went to Japan, we get a record. We played one gig and a half earlier the record available. They had a record that made that's amazing. They were selling our records, live records.
Speaker 3: They were selling Oh wait, I think I heard I think that surface down line.
Speaker 1: Wow that mister Udo was not happy with the ticket sales. And mister Udo, if you don't know mister Hudo, you don't play in Japan at all. He's Jackos. I mean he runs that racket and all the coke and secret hauls are ident goal. We played Hanshu Kiashu and we were down in Hiroshima, all the way up into the Order provinces, and you could not tell the difference between one hall and the next. Exactly the same bathrooms with the wow journals that are in the ground that are a little different thing.
Speaker 3: Hey, before I forget Mississippi Power, that is a B side. You're on that one, right, Yeah, Okay, that was not wrote.
Speaker 1: That was Preston Sturgis, the director you know from Travels and she was a famous thirty forties director.
Speaker 3: That would have been a great addition to the album.
Speaker 1: Preston Junior wrote that song.
Speaker 3: How about that.
Speaker 1: It was originally called Lighting Strikes by Buick.
Speaker 3: Wow, Tippy, do you think it should have been on the album?
Speaker 1: It was? I thought it was. We played it right along with the rest of the roster. I mean, we had all fourteen up and I did it. Stephen Connor came in with wanting me and Frank came back to another way. It was cruel. Obsession didn't make it. And I even see the stuff that I did with the business that's getting records out there. It's got I'm going to kill the guy in the car in front of me and what was it called? There were there's a set of tunes that I give with them. Uh, actually John Lowry record, I'd be about Topega. And that's where Dave went and did his demos. You know, there were twenty four track demos, but he did. I said, why why don't we use the visitants for the rhythm section? He goes, Now, they're too clinical? The hell does that mean? Because you know we're going to New York and not even know who but Bayslaer and Bumba I'm gonna play with the day I met him, we got the first tracks, I thought, this is not very organic.
Speaker 3: You know, yeah, you would preferred to play some gigs with him, at least a few, right, so.
Speaker 1: Many drummers that would be and James were absolutely burned out by the time, of course storage because we had we had rehearsed every drummer. He fired one and fire another. We got four drummers, so it was like we had to go through a whole roster. And he wanted us to rehearse twelve hours a day. I said, you could get me in there for twelve hours, but I'm gone in three. You just don't have the head room that kind of stuff. You know.
Speaker 3: What's your opinion of Dave's vocals live? There is always this idea that fans will say, well, let me put it this way. When he when he came back in seven to Van Halen that tour, his voice sounded really, really good, like it almost sound like he was doing something you want smoking so much bot okay, because but then, but when you go back to the.
Speaker 1: Last juice of his youth, because he did not do that well with us on the d l R, I mean a d l R man. I didn't feel that his live performances were really up to snuff. He had some bad times with their bomb factory and the bomb factory, the bomb factory in Dallas was horrible. It's like, you know what, it's like Glorious Swanson when she finally gets in front of the camera. You know when Cecil b. Demillgo's action. You know, it's like she wants to do a player Salomi, but she wants to be in every scene. Dormy, it can't be in every to you, why not?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: You know, It's like I think it's kind of a privilege of the rich. I have oil wells pumping and pumping. It wouldn't it for but money for all of us, you know. And Dave was never really a really generous guy. I mean we'd be driving down Melroad to go through a fashion disaster. I said, Okay, what do you want me to do? Pull over one of those slanky joints on Melrods that's got like ten shirts in there and all eight hundred dollars apiece. He closed his door and I got a big yellow blue house shirt going. I wouldn't wear this to a dog fight if I was a state.
Speaker 3: Cham Yeah, he wears some crazy outfit like.
Speaker 1: The way I dressed, and like the way Jamie dressed because we didn't. There was a theater touch. If you're dressed like a rock star, you would have wear that when you have breakfast. It's just to wait rest. But it was so confusing because we had gone through the eighties. Everybody had poofy hair and Jaguar pants and light shirts, and we starved, so we looked like we were coming out of concentration. Can't and that was the look. And then I'm plenty of cocaine and stuff, screw up your music. So everybody was waiting for the after party. Nobody gave a shit about the gig anymore. That's what that happened. I mean, Mantra to Rock dangerously close to dying because they were just doing so much, so much, and you know the people said they weren't doing They were doing more than anybody and I you know, regular civilians, we couldn't afford to do it. Those guys didn't, thank god. So you feel kind of left out as your friends move on, and but you know, and would come over and he goes once you got me driving his Lamborghini want like you know, I got in it and the top of the things first, crushing my head down like what you could tell the things that Talian is the legs are real short, and the wheels about ten feet away. That gorilla could drive it really good. You know, he had a lot of nice stuff that I appreciate it, but I mean material stuff only goes so far. Sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the cooch will destroy a singer's voice.
Speaker 1: Right, oh, to say the least. And that I wasn't just cocing a lot of alcohol too, and alcohol does not improve your beauty. Plus a cigarettes yeah yeah, yeah. Ed was basically living on. His food was McDonald's classic cheeseburgers, orange label bos and they were all over the lounge all the time. I just thought, man, how do you eat that shit? I couldn't eat McDonald's after nineteen seventy five. It's like I thought it was like sheep dip. It did taste right to me. You know. It turns out that twenty one percent of their product is paraffin wax. So if you want to make the candle on yourself and just took a wick up here, I think you meet McDonald turn into a candle. But you know he didn't didn't take care of himself. It hijr teeth fell out you know a lot of the stuff that goes to being a junkie.
Speaker 3: Basically, yeah, very sad. It was good though. He got his leg, he got his hes, got himself together by the end there.
Speaker 1: But you know, he made a joke out of it. Back then, my bass layer said, we had a song called I knew a guy named Ed. The son goes up, Folly go to bad. He dipped the crypt. He got a little studio called fifty one fifty. We're doing a wrap.
Speaker 2: Fuck.
Speaker 1: He was doing that. Look look what's coming in from the inside. You know that what on this next? Man? Helen? Oh, you ate one too. Had a lot of my influence on him, really that that was one of my tunes and he just he bagged it and get out. He never mastered, He never used a master. He recorded my master's on a cassette tape and it got lost because it was on one of his motorcycles. I thought, my god, where my life's worked?
Speaker 3: Wow? You know you couldn't put so black and blue was your rests?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Remember yeah, the Angels? Remember Angels? That band? Yes, okay, Barry the drummer. Ed wanted to hire me. Everyvery goes fuck you, I know, you are your sheeps getting he refused to work for him. Walt Woodbard, from a Marcaid and bat down in New Jersey, was a good friend of mine. He said, I'm not working for him, but he yells at everybody. Because he came to visit me at the Hit Factor. You wouldn't let hi in and I I was married at the time. My wife went down there wearing this georgia and never smelled good on her. He threw a right fuck out of the studio. She had to go bathe and change. Did not put that georgia on get back in here. He didn't have Dave did not spare the mustard on anybody. I'd been being a restaurant with him and somebody up something, I'd just be like, oh, the poor person, and the whole live. We used to go to burg Continental and all the places around town, and they're all gone. Now it's funny. I see him now and again. He takes a bicycle riding few pedals, real slow, like an old man got farm crow. And one day we had a little dispute over a check and he heard me screech up. The inter comes on and I said, Dave. He goes yeah, I said, I took her off and there was checks in my veil box the next day. He almost, you were a boy. So it's like they're not really concerned about We're not trying to get you your money. It's like, but the point you saved me is that Jay Mortgagestern, who was affiliate all the way back to the Tiffany label Columbia. He ran a company that would track your money for you, and we give really well at Black Finland, black Box and uh, you know the Benelux Country and stuff. One guy had one seven percent of the song goes, well, I'm going to track my mind. So he said, well you can call the Benelex Country. They put you on a hold. They think how many records and soul not a very efficient way to collect money. And he wanted ten thousand dollars to do this for me. And I had ten grand left in the bank and I had still a bought a house, and I thought, man, it's a leap of faith, like you don't believe. It ended up yielding like eighty five thousand dollars out of it. So I was lucky. You have somebody tracked your money for you in Europe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you said on the TV CBS that did this segment on you that if it wasn't for Dave, you wouldn't have had that home in Altadena.
Speaker 1: Probably not, because it gave me of lucidity to buy really basically for cash and do not have a big mortgage fing because I could get time to get up, which they did. You know, there was a whole lot of music money and music pis. You could make a thousand dollars a month gigging, and I had a kid, little girl. I had to do something. So the way I look at it is like it was providence that did it. And basically how he learned about Dave talking about AAR record CHR two different animals. CHR is elephant bucks, that's uh, Barry Manilow, that's really now and that kind of thing. And Ar's album oriented deep tracks and stuff, which is I don't trust my own judgment if I like a song, and probably best to steer away from it because it's going to be a deep track, you know, like those are my oh, def Leppard. I listened to Billy Got a gudget, Like the way the guitar me is better than Piromania, I mean title track, and I get stuck down there a lot times. Those are the very deep stuff, you know, the cap beyond uh You're.
Speaker 3: God Captain with uh yeah with Rod Uh. Wow, that's so cool you mentioned that. Yeah, Rod Evans from from Deep Purple, whose things on Hush the Prost.
Speaker 1: The Doctor where glennielga Venist about ten miles from yere.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's such a great album. They only made one album, I think, but oh they did to.
Speaker 1: The first one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that first one is.
Speaker 1: A bunch of guys that got together and smoked pot. It was Mike Pinera and Ryango on guitars, but he used the telecat to the Marshalls and he crimped it way up. Had a really neat staccato, kind of a weird sound. I never heard Telly get All. Little tricks like that should not be used. Those big Thori amps incredible.
Speaker 3: What was the talk around ton about Montrose that first album?
Speaker 1: That was an impactuous record. I mean, Monny Montrose was RNI would do. He was a very sparse player, but that was a goddamn good record. Everybody loved it. It was really the closest thing to rock and roll you could get at seventy five and where they only come out at night. Remember, yep, Wrecked Eringer just do a lot of credit. He Derenger is one of the best guitar players out there for a time because he went through South Salvador single string studies he had. They're legitimate chops and uh he doesn't look like that ever. Really burned him down. But we all played Rick Deringer stuff. He was to be respected. I thought it was great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Lee van Millen did rock and roll, Hucci cou in the clubs.
Speaker 1: Johnny was really the fascination, you know he was. He would sign the biggest record contract of all the time. But they have to keep putting this tool live and well and rock and roll. WoT you cool? On every record he did?
Speaker 3: Still living great?
Speaker 1: John Datson Winner was a great record that I could play. And he lived in Connecticut, really but he passed away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: Okay, in front of mine. They live in Fairfield County, which is right across you know, just right next door to New York. Yeah, yeah, right, Connecticut.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The dad was a public defender and he said, man, he goes Johnny Winner lived alloy.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, and you hook? Oh my god, yeah, yeah, that's right near where I worked at the radio station nine ninety five was in Danbury. I've worked there for many years.
Speaker 1: German, Irish or Italian? Who me?
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh, I'm I would be Senach is part Ukrainian, Irish and Italian. My mother's maiden name is Mango.
Speaker 1: I mean Sugard as much.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: My mom's name was Capelletti and they were My dad was Southern Baptist, so there we had a wild ausehold. But they all were Italians that came. My grandpa came over twenty three, so I'm only two generations out of that could get European citizenship because my grandpa came over on the sat at Ellis Island for a couple of months. He was a Matthew musician. He was a woodwind player. He played the or film all the time. Reminded me we were day. The most violent gig I ever played was at the Avalon in Boston. Oh yeah, count those people at Boston p Rock so he beat the shit out of each other. It was about seven girls and three thousand guys or something. It wasn't a pretty sight.
Speaker 3: And don't wear a New York Yankees hat in Boston.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Winter a young gang. I mean they were all wearing a leather and it's like it was like we went back in time and we played the Theater of Living Arts in Pennsylvania, which was kind of cool. But uh, most of the gigs we played were like jads and movie theaters and Bowling Alley. That's where where it was going in ninety four. And I think that Motley Crue when they had John Krabbie. I know John well, he said it just wasn't working on tour. They would looking at the numbers.
Speaker 3: The math was and that's a great album that we did with Mortley Crue.
Speaker 1: Everybody had a failing record that year. We got defaulted for it because we got bumped from Warner Brothers down to the Atlantic at the tith of death for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought it was was it Warner Reprise?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Was that what it was? The label.
Speaker 1: Was on it when when Ergon had it, But we got would put in a Snaptraus company with Touchwood and the distribution company ched the ship out of We're getting money out of it all. It's just it's a music vinds. You can't I don wouldn't get upset about it. I mean I remember walking around being all bitter than that. I thought, I'm gonna let this get to me. Everybody gets ripped off. I think Jean Fogerty, they really got his head. That's where Advance can't dance. But it's still your mon. Remember that one.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, you said you stole your own song? Yeah, that was Salt sal Zantce.
Speaker 1: I was most impressed with Dave's work on D L R. Band.
Speaker 3: I really was never what you Yeah, let's talk about that he did. And I'm going to tell you one of my favorite, maybe my favorite songs that you did with Davis black sand What do you know? What can you tell us about that song? How did that come up?
Speaker 1: Well? That was Erwin Muster's production. She got Urwin, who just did Van Hallen. Erman's done Paco Dalasia. He's done the Scorpions from one record to the first to last. And he came in and he was a German, very German. So all the fifty seven serman De said, I are four twenty one. It was a really industrial down. We had Ray Luzier on drums, who was.
Speaker 3: Great, phenomenal.
Speaker 1: Yeah he was this is backer. He's a skinny the little guy. I said, where'd you come fan? He goes, well, my dad's a farmer. He said, I wasn't any good at farming, So play the drums and he got right as soon as the herb. He said, get this guy. And John Lowry played on it too. I was he was in the studio when I was there. Uh, And John had like fifty one telecatchers and I left my fifty three in there and he ended up using it. He kissed me off. But you got fifty telegu you got to use mine, I said, Dave, I told you touch my guitars. I let it go. But it was interesting because David was trying to intervene on the solo. And remember Muster goes, look, he goes, you bade me to produce a record? Get out? And Terry said, you know, we got a guy here. He's got a bash to read harmony. Why don't we use him? That would be me. I got some cal arts, so Urban got with me, and that's the first song I ever felt that anybody produced correctly. He completely changed the whole song. All the changes there, all the parts were there, but he rearranged it, kind of tacked it together. Should go Home, learn this. I thought, I gotta do a good solo for this, and the solo was good, but if I didn't know what he was listening to it, what I liked about it, it was just scant my toes on the nose, a bunch of bullshit. You really vindicated himself in that first record, Going Places very good too. We get that ocean and we get it at Royal and the twelve string guitar ship. What makes me manage that? John five got all the credit for the hard flying. You know I did all the hard stuff like that's the end was a strip clubs to this day.
Speaker 3: You read my mind. Lose the dress, keep the shoes, Yeah, lose the dress, keep the shoes. Man great too.
Speaker 1: Well the song the original Devil. That thing is badass. Yeah, David loved it. I thought, okay, we got that one down, and yeah, I had a bunch of other songs. We got to five of them. John did seven and I did. I gugged in on weekend with the babysitter and fixed that form. Yes, before we get that little whispering party. The dynamics are cool. John's a great player, but he doesn't have forty years of marination. Basically, I didn't marinate a long time, but you know I put it in the right place, I said, I'm most proud of that. As far as recording with Dave Black, Sam's.
Speaker 3: Out of Doubt, Oh what a song man.
Speaker 1: What I wrote when I was sixteen, go and.
Speaker 3: Put wow, okay, go in places.
Speaker 1: The cargoes into like a leeds up, you know, like a tramp underfoot. Like sounds like something out of physical graffiti or something. It's just an obvious uh you know, uh, raise fifth, seventh down whatever. I understood music fairer than a lot of guys back then, but I didn't know what the hell I was doing. All I knew is that major major scales sound better, and there in other keys than the keys they're supothed to be in the right. You play at a major scale and g G major scale, and you do it against ay, then you got something in a It sounds like this guy's doing scales. Practicing is major scale, you know. But it's also stardy. I mean a lot of it. My cousin was very good players to carry. It's all parlor tricks. It's all partler. To me. It was that the parlor trick was like trying to get that lightning every time you play you know what I mean, trying to get you know, like you do when you play good Night's Bad Nights that she feels like she's on you control of it. You have a fall out of you got control of.
Speaker 3: It, and there's no explanation behind it, right, it's just when you're on, you're on, you don't.
Speaker 1: It's like talking about what do you do? I mean, if you would you do it for a trade so automatic, you do it so well, you put somebody else in that position, they're gonna be very uncomfortable, right.
Speaker 3: But but also I have I'll have I'll have interviews where I just feel like I'm in a groove, you know, like right now, everything's just locked in. Sometimes I'll do an interview and it's just not like you're trying to get money.
Speaker 1: Better understanding of what's happening now in music is where some guy that Googie's podcast think that there's an industry out there, And it blows my mind because everybody raises this pick Stuss about the Nam Show, and you go down there and see a bunch of shit you can't afford to buy all that nice mercury stuff and all the recording here, and it's a cottage industry on an industry that doesn't exist anymore. There's really no way to make any money at it anymore. But the companies are not going to like Zappa said, the old days, you got the old Jews. Theyre smoking at the guards and they said, mother's cooking just foot three hundred thousand dollars on sticks to the wall. That's where you got the mothers of the bench. Uh, you know all the Avot Guard stuff that was out there. You know.
Speaker 3: Now record labels have a piece in the touring industry because that's the way they're going to make money unless unless it's like the Stones are bigger than they have their own touring company. But basically record labels that they're thinking, I'm not going to make money off of albums, so we got to get a piece of the tour.
Speaker 1: They turned to smart which is what they did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was interesting.
Speaker 1: They don't put their girls out on the street anymore. They say, we could just like Walmart. We can get it for you if you need it, right.
Speaker 3: But don't do you get do you get a little piston musicians? Where for me, as a music. Fan musicians make music, and some some musicians won't make an album because it's like, well, why bother, I'm not going to make money off of it. But but the fans.
Speaker 1: They doesn't even care about money, you know what. With me, it's like they have an old gold miner that's you know, yellow, never gets any water. He's out in the desert, want around and goes, hey, make it a living. It never entered into this. It's just what you could get, that magic, that lightning going out in front of people and have fun playing. You don't need any money. That's just satisfact. That's what people want now. I mean, that's why they the stones still go. I don't need the money they do because they love it and I love it. But I guess they made it's such a gauntlet to go through and they start pay to play and all that shit. They lost a lot of patrons like that. Well that's back in the garage's you know, good oil.
Speaker 3: Changes right, Well, the radio business changed so much. I had to get out. And I loved the radio. I dreamt of radio. I got an FM radio tattoo, right, and but I had to leave the business because I couldn't make a living. Yeah, that kissed me off. Kissed me off. I still to this day I hate that. I got to go to a nine to five.
Speaker 1: My my weach Stone sp six from a religious station and you gotta goes, look it goes. You know God has money problems. We know that He's just always have money problem. He said, I can't make a living anymore. He had a huge congregation and I had to shifted out here from New Jersey and I love that. I mean it was like it was so so perfect for my use and and everybody's going pro tools. They said, you know we could do all that approaches. It never impressed me. No, I like that take.
Speaker 3: They they have now in the radio business AI voices, voice tracking, shifts, complete shifts and nobody would know the difference, which is depressing to me.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, but it was like Eward had that United Ris Nury board. Don Landy retired and he died recently. Landy was a genius. I mean he could get tone out of a toilet and he re wired that. He used to work for the phone company. Well what happened is that that was Van Helen sound Don Landy was it? If you take Don Landy out of that equation, they'll never sound the.
Speaker 3: Same, and little sea and doobies right, and.
Speaker 1: Then they then he went got rid of I saw it laying on the side of that. I said, what do you got it over here for? Because we're going to put an SSL logic and I said, oh, don't do that. They put a nine thousand in there and it never was the saying, And they threw out all the microvolts that they thought they were all went bad. Did you read the part about the forty eight volte thing to slick to turn on? You want those mics to work?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we recorded, threw away.
Speaker 1: Some huge r c A forty five and stuff. They had to have a power source.
Speaker 4: But you and I recorded an analog.
Speaker 1: What is it?
Speaker 3: I was about to record analog machine now.
Speaker 1: But you have to be an egghead, you know, because.
Speaker 2: Both of us have that same taste when it comes to recording.
Speaker 1: We don't like you could hear it. I mean, I'm just here to take it's the What it is is that everything is an etching. Those little chips that make the sound cards up, they're etchings, very mild like this is the tl OSW two is probably the most famous etching right, it's an etching. I mean with with tape, you've got a heads that scrape you know, oxide off and make a real big footprint. And that that goes to say a lot like you know, towns of just ordered those Mara machines. He means he's got a two inch eight track, so every track has a quarter of an inch of you nuts, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, everything's changed so much.
Speaker 1: It has you have to have a lot of money to play buck Rogers and this. And you see the labs they have. My friend work said, oh my god, they've got six hundred thousand dollars worth of microphones. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But everybody that I like, they're all doing it on pure analog.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well there's people out there, these kids that you know, record records out of that one apagy thing. I can't do that. I just have to get it in line and get if you got something going. If you don't start a fire with one guitar line and a bass drum, d ain't got nothing to start anyhow.
Speaker 3: The new song Kilgore's Love Song tell us about that, because there's a great story behind that. How did it finally come together after it was unfinished for many years?
Speaker 1: It's a red herring. It's really I had a nineteen oh four Marler guitar that just was magical. I never got out of the fire, but it was. It was really a Columbia parlor that had stood the one hundred and twenty two years without being crushed. And the guy had steal stranger. I said, there's no way this just had cat got string at nineteen twenty four. So I put eyelogs on it and it just got this celt sound. I started recording on my telephone. I came Forul this little thing. I said, I tried this, and she did jump into it, and I thought, interesting, have everything quite like that school.
Speaker 5: The inside on me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was around for quite a while, that song, that song, the.
Speaker 4: Music with no lyrics for years.
Speaker 1: I don't know what the hell it was I played. I said, that's kind of interesting thing. You go, well, you like I like to. I was playing a lot of celt music. I started doing that like seven or eight years ago, and I've got quite a few songs that are rock, but they have a Celtic Yeah, not like Blackmore, but you know it's got a little bit more storyline, you know, something that textures. I don't know something that invokes. If it invokes something and make somebody want to sten to it, they're going to try something. That's why not try something good story? You know, it's it's almost like a musical journalism. Yeah, and he.
Speaker 2: Was basically said, take whatever song you like and put something down.
Speaker 1: You get a singer and you start talking to them. And yet I want you to do that. I won't you do that. You turn them into a chimpanzee.
Speaker 2: Well it's funny because he messaged me on Facebook and then he goes, I need a songwriter, and you asked our friend, Gary Putman, our mutual friend.
Speaker 4: But we never knew each other and we hung on the same sirt.
Speaker 1: Gary was in a dread Zeppelin. Yeah, Gary's all.
Speaker 2: Gary's on like eighty five percent of both of my albums, Funnyully plays.
Speaker 4: He was so good to me, playing on everything, gigging with We.
Speaker 1: Played at Me and Gary and Mike Shadow played at the Van Halen, the book party that Greg Renoff threw right, Yeah, and then Gary jumped out on that. He jumped on the dance floor to pages here and go. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Me being in a studio with him, he was He didn't go wild, you.
Speaker 2: Know, because Gary will go off on a tangent playing guitar and you're just like, yep, there he goes, you know, like Terry saying.
Speaker 1: By you know, I can't play the clubs he plays. He plays these god clubs are of people plays. He played a lot of gigs. But the more gigs you play, the less people are going to start to loose. And the other thing, you can play yourself in this town.
Speaker 2: But really the other thought is that he's keeping his chops up, you know.
Speaker 4: So that's how I see it, because all who go.
Speaker 2: Downtown sere Monderie and then I pop in the local bar because I'm a runner.
Speaker 1: That's where you that's where all the players are now, local bar. But it used to be, like you was a gathering place like FM station, Freddie Mcnatthey's Joint or the Viper Room, and it just slowly got phased out. It was just too much. A lucky strike come back around. A lot of bands played a lucky strike and now they're playing down at Mozam Beacon. You know, in that there's a lot more work in Arms County, but it's it's machine, it's factory work.
Speaker 4: Basically, I feel like everything's cyclical, you.
Speaker 1: Know, and it'll come back receiving a Tributeyet I never do it.
Speaker 4: Well, you're not going to be because.
Speaker 1: I'm saying I couldn't do that thing. Yeah, people like playing a Richard music out there.
Speaker 4: And my friend already so off. He's in the Fab four.
Speaker 2: So when I asked him to do back up on my second second album, I think it was my first album too.
Speaker 4: Is like having Paul McCartney on the album, and so I'm like.
Speaker 1: Making players run here. They don't the world Well, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean I think some of them choose.
Speaker 1: Well, when you go out and tour like that, he realized. I went out tour my own group for a couple of years. I thought you could get locking Automobile Wilders for North America and never come back.
Speaker 4: But you know, I asked one time, I said.
Speaker 1: I locked that door. You're not going to come back on money, but you may be able to dig all the way through it.
Speaker 2: But I said to Artie, do you like playing, you know, in the tribute band?
Speaker 4: And he goes, yeah, could he get sick of it?
Speaker 2: And he goes until I think of having a desk job that I don't like you know, not no nothing against desk jobs. I have one to yell for years, but but he's I figure, you know that that would be something.
Speaker 1: There aren't guys like you know, the guys I've been looked at you. I love Joe bona match because he's got the right psychology. And he got real pissed off at me because I was I go to the same guitar check and I didn't recognize him. He looks like the right I don't know who hell he was, but I have a lot of respect Rymond Eric Gales. I love the way he plays. I mean, he's just got that kind of a spiritual then quality of the magic, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And when you and I are finishing the album, though, there's gonna be a lot like that love song is is one unique song.
Speaker 4: And that I just liked her.
Speaker 1: I couldn't play it. Yeah, yeah, I don't know how what the hell I didn't figure out the stage.
Speaker 4: That I picked that song?
Speaker 2: You go, of all the songs that gave you, you picked the one that I never thought anybody would write a lyric to, you know.
Speaker 1: And I the thing that's why I want to get other people on this thing. Because the way they think, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I actually did sing that one in the bathtub.
Speaker 4: I write lyrics real quick to them at the top of the easel.
Speaker 2: Number, do them mad.
Speaker 1: To them?
Speaker 4: That's the tumple. The isle.
Speaker 3: Was the plan I longed to put together whole album or did that one a song kind of?
Speaker 1: I have an album for Maturial, but you know what, you're not, so I'm going to do a solo style record or guitar record. I expect him guitar on there and lyrics. And given the situation as it was to get I just now acquired all the gear that I could pull that off with because remember I lost my whole all my pre app follow stuff that I was accustomed of using. And it's it's a hell of a far back away when you have a ten seventy three Brett Admirals and they're gone and you're trying to do something with the art pree app. I mean, it's just you have to you have to rely on other other factors, you know what I mean. There's a show beautiful hardware, but you can't play work ship and you have to have everything going at once. And a lot of the people that have money would rather have somebody else recorded, And I go, if you have money and the luxury of time, I'm going to do it, yeah, and then you can get at it, you know when I do.
Speaker 4: A mix, So we'll do recordings in the house.
Speaker 2: The love song, I was practicing the song and I ended up just doing a sample.
Speaker 4: I was in the path.
Speaker 1: That stuff out, brought into SiO.
Speaker 2: And used that vocal, and then I doubled it a little bit in certain spots because to clean it up, because you know, when you have the track with the music.
Speaker 4: On it, you can't separate, and sometimes you need the vocals up, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So if it wasn't working, then I would double it and then we use kind of a mix of both interchange.
Speaker 4: But ninety song is done in the bouttime.
Speaker 1: Cobt said it poetically. A Capital Records goes, You're like a missing link or something we should have heard that we didn't hear a long time ago, that you fill a hole that nobody I've heard filth like that, And that's how it was cryptic. It's not like intentionally done. It's like I remember this vibe from when I was a kid. I wrote a song about you know, I like repetitive lines, like if you're gonna do a guitar line, I like one that that reciprocates of one that modulates around it. Because of my education, I had an education harmony. I understand how to use it. But really, I think that people come out of a dead stock with no schooling at all and come up with the same kind of shit all the time.
Speaker 4: I didn't. I'm not trained either.
Speaker 1: As I had a guy come to me when I was giving guitar losters that he had one hundred songs to put together out of the seven chords that he knew, and none of it was bad. You just go, Wow, this guy's got talent.
Speaker 4: But what I you it was your sound. Because I didn't really know who he was.
Speaker 1: I feel, you know, nobody knows who I am. I'm blucky.
Speaker 3: I don't know I know who he is.
Speaker 1: Gary down to have a lot of friends back east too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And Gary invited me down to the local bar and I brought my son and then he was playing and that's how we met. And then but but when I heard his swampy slide to.
Speaker 1: Chalie, when I looked at you anywhere near Federal Hill, I mean it's funny because, uh, John Reagan told me that they changed their dango and Irish nanka is. The Irish cops were beating the ship out of his dad all the time, really galaning, you know, and my grandma. There's so many of my roatives back east, and a lot of them were not the Morolos are like the horrible Jenis.
Speaker 3: Out at Chicoo mess with. Yeah, well, I mean just that kind of thing, you know. As a huge David Lee fan, I sure know who you are. I went out and bought the album the CD when I was in my senior year in college, went to the nearest record store, and so the girl.
Speaker 1: Down the street goes, my brother a big fan of yours, And I'm thinking I have a lot of popular people back ds that like me, and I think it was more like the embrace Me because I was like one of them. I walked through Red Light to New York.
Speaker 3: I go, I don't stop, what's the Waylon Jennings covering?
Speaker 2: So I being nineteen seven about this? For yeah, I talk about it all the time. So I as soon as I met him, I'm like, oh, he kind of right whaling Jennings.
Speaker 3: He looks yeah, yeah, you're right, and his voice is.
Speaker 1: Just not that much of a philanderer. Well, it was bad from the very beginning. I mean, when you get cooked at buddy all, I goes, I hope the guy's cracked that I did.
Speaker 3: That's the story. Yeahs terrible about that.
Speaker 4: Felt terrible.
Speaker 1: But the point is, yeah, so I alslew that same Bonanda that killed all those people.
Speaker 4: But there's a song called so good.
Speaker 1: I killed everybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I so I made it a duet, so I inserted my voice and then I'm hoping that Terry will sing it and play on it.
Speaker 1: And I'd love for you to play a duet. The thing is, I know all this the Carney music stuffy, but he does you know, bony fingers. It's only seventies country galctic music. But then you know the new coal. I love Danny Gatton stuff. I love. You know, they're all great players, you.
Speaker 4: Know, I like Old Schott, like George Jones.
Speaker 1: Wriscovered god, Jerry reed Back, I thought, my god, I know guy was a great guitar player, fabulous, the most economic hands you've ever seen, just just the bare minimum to get the sound and the controls like fuck, unbelievable.
Speaker 4: So if that song is on the album, it's already tracked.
Speaker 2: But if Terry ends up playing on it, which I'm hoping because we get busy, you know, that would be a gift to me.
Speaker 3: Do you know when the album will be out? Isn't it September? I thought that.
Speaker 4: Maybe we'll see I'm going to New York.
Speaker 1: I can't let it out if I don't like what I hear, and I'll go anyway I do.
Speaker 2: If I go in myself, I bring to home, I bring home and then I send it to him.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I've aged enough songs for when I know that, because this thing stands up and it's four years old, I'll do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But I would love for him to take the last one we did.
Speaker 4: What was it called the last one we did?
Speaker 2: I don't know what we were just working on, not back to eat crime Shame.
Speaker 4: Maybe you could be the one to release it for us.
Speaker 3: Well, I you know I want to play that. I would be happy to do that and kill Gore's love song, play a clip of it and hopefully they don't pull it down on YouTube, and that drives me and saying that if they do, I'll let you know and we'll and I'll dispute it.
Speaker 4: There's no way they did, because that's nobody owns the very frost.
Speaker 1: The way I look at it, if somebody steals something and they liked it that much and they're playing it right, I can exploit it till you get to a certain point.
Speaker 4: I mean they can't play it, but we're certainly.
Speaker 1: Music's a gift. I mean, like, look at how long I be around, how long I want to want to have the same energy because you get like, look at if it's not working like stuff. He's was one of my favorite guitar players in the world. He said it just wasn't making any money. He had to go to doing film. But he still plays the guy who's doing shit in nineteen seventy three. They still are now catching up with Yeah.
Speaker 2: And see me, I've never made any money playing music, and I've and I'm okay though.
Speaker 1: Because you know, that's how everybody is before they make anything into business. And I'd rather be like, like, you know, I would have much rather have gone to work for John Waite than David Lee rob because he's more of a looking for songs, but the guy an aim for those skits like that. It's it's a shooting gallery, you know what I mean. It's like Graham Bondy's the shooting gallery.
Speaker 3: You're gonna be doing moving target.
Speaker 1: Yes, everybody's ears are moving targets. I mean it's like, Oh, that's the best downing amp I've ever heard. Next week they put this is the beast down amp I've ever heard.
Speaker 2: It's funny to see what you play on now because in comparison to what you grew up on, the Marshalls and all that, now.
Speaker 1: You're playing, Well, the thing we don't know everything that I can build you a super league now. But what we knew everything about him? We didn't know shit about them. He built my son a guitar, which is so we didn't know anything about at all. You know, ed had their bicycle paint and that one hundred and forty dollars sarvel and that thing changed and a lot of guys were putting combuckis and strata casters and telecasters back then.
Speaker 3: Did you go to that house that he lived in, that little house that's still.
Speaker 2: There, Yeah, apparently it looks exactly the same exactly.
Speaker 1: I could drop an alley way off of Las lunas, which is like or middle class. It was all came for more money than that. I was broke. We lived to eaton canyon. But you know, but we were monitoring each other constantly because he was I kept him on his shoes and he really kept me online. Are hard guy to beat paint. They were always in charge. But you know, there was a room enough for other people as long as you didn't play like him. You had to play kind of like it, you know, they think kind of. But there are a lot of guitar players were developing styles, Gary, Carl Hassett, They all were good players, and we were all kind of came into the same thing. We listened to the English guys and played blues licks. Then we heard Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck and blow by Blow changed me. I thought, well, I'm instrumental stuff, you know what I mean, Ye, Jeff could pull that off.
Speaker 3: I just interviewed Brad Tlinsky and Chris Gill who wrote that great book on Eddie, and they just wrote a book on Jeff Beck, and it's fabulous books.
Speaker 1: And you know, like Rob Grange and Derrick st. Holmes, ed bus Man.
Speaker 3: Right stranglehold these things out.
Speaker 1: They went to the same ship I mean with Derek Sae Holmes and oh the god they haven't working there. Ted just took off. That'specically what happened. And so you know those guys, I call right with them for Brad Whitford Aerosmith Bunch when they have the wrong place.
Speaker 3: Whitford Holmes I think was uh Derek was in that band.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they had a cool stop. They used one of my tunes. Yeah some good. If I hear something somebody's playing to go, okay, I'll bring to do something like that too, but I'll do it a little tip, you know. And that was what it was fun to go see what we would come up with. But real quiet, you wouldn't hear me from me in a week and I'd be playing its going where'd you pick that? How did you pick that up? Competitive?
Speaker 3: But it was a friendly way, you know, just as a fan that I just I miss And when he passed, it was like that's it. There's no more hope and possibility that than another van Hileen.
Speaker 1: Remember all the good time that we had, how close we were. I'm sure that ever him his son said when he I always told him, Ed, don't drive motorcycles. You haven't got the temperament for it. You will die. You gotta drive motorcycle and drive a car. He will be all right. Drove them like he drove the motorcycle. And when he cracked his head open, they looked like they a catskin and saw that tumor and side about lemon and he said he got his spine. He it was. He died very painfully.
Speaker 3: No I heard, that's what Ted Templeman said.
Speaker 1: Well, I saw him, you know, and when you grow up with something like that, you see him and they're young and they're strong. I mean he pushed the outside of the envelope a little harder than he thought. I was the heavier drinker. I thought, hell no, I just don't drink all that beer I got hold of. But then he went, you know, shrake to vodka, and it just the addictions are progressive and they get the better of you. He was, you know, getting He looked like Gollum for a while. He might really out of his kind of out of his tree.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that that was a wild It was a dark time.
Speaker 1: Get Marshall, AFP. You had a Marshall. A couple of little effects that had a great and he alway a sudden you had this bradshar regular was as big as a sub zero refrigerator. Then twenty six Racks. I don't know what the hell it was. The guitarians a big monster.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the sound of his guitar. Nothing fills me up more man, It's like, just might people.
Speaker 1: Know what I went when I got rid of my fifty my black flags, I had two black flag fifty wats and black flags were like before Jim Marshall and Theresa were divorced, it was Jim and Theresa Marshall Well, he wanted her out and they went to j MP Jim Marshall Productions. But the black flags were special lamp fires. I worked about ten thousand dollars piece. I sold them off because they got sick of the sound, and Mike Mike Mike Fans told me, you don't have the same Jime used to have for a faggot, and then I got it back on Brandles. I'll get pan Terra. We started using the Randall stuff because I was touring the South seats and you couldn't use the tube. I couldn't have the budget to run tube bats twelve hours a day because couldn't do it. We played Singapore all the military basis. That was the only thing you could get. It paid fifty hundred dollars a week, and man it was tough. That was rough, tough. You go those islands and you know where the military is. Everything rough. In one day, there's a big pile of bicycles are all covering front of everybody being bicycles. We've been on tire of body. I mean, I've been on all the Gilbert Islands, the Solomons, because we still have bases out there everywhere. Their aw reservation. So the guys that go there, they go in for a six month's day and they're going, oh, we're going to be here. It's a toll that's maybe a mile long and nine hundred yards wide or something, and a half a million people live on it. You know. It's that's what the South Seas tours are about. But that's the only money we could make. In the eighties, everybody had everything locked up. Every band looked the same.
Speaker 3: They all was like poisoned or oh god, yeah remember that, yeah, yeah, sure do. It was in high school. Yeah, man, Warrant Winger.
Speaker 1: I got from what I said, you guys are going to be back in Pomona doing oil champions by the by the nineties. And I was right because it was really I got picked up because I dressed in a black soup with no collars, like a starving blues musician, because that's what I was basically.
Speaker 3: And Eddie used to say, don't blame me because everybody was like, oh, you know you inspired all these bands, these copycat bands. He's like, I didn't do it on purpose. Let's just play just playing the.
Speaker 1: Money in the Van Halen trippute bands. I just couldn't imagine their set because it's like, you know, I wasn't a big fan of our music because I hadn't heard it so many times. I mean I could, I could. I could listen to the record and see what he's flying. I know exactly how I played. We just to laugh because I played up like this because I had a feel plate in my arm, so I kind of go out of differently. When I up picked for Don Eperson, Ed played like this right exactly. But he was you know, I think that he was just a concert musician. Alt when Al talked of it, he said, you know, Ed is definitely the cornerstone of that group. I mean, and Day wanted in on that. You know, that was the only money going out of town because there was other bands. But Ed just beat him down bad because they had the work ethic. Alex was instrumental in that because he was the oldest and he was the biggest. And to argue with how he beat the shit out of you, He's gonna get his way. I mean, he ran that and you.
Speaker 3: Know that's all. They didn't didn't rely on talent. They just worked their ass off, you know, they didn't just expect things to come to them because that he was saving their.
Speaker 1: Money like that. I mean, it was like they he utilized every They were made about one hundred bucks a week, which in those days was as much as the kid could make. And any job as you got paid. If my dad was a police charger got paid one thousand dollars a month. Now they get paid one hundred and thirty five. Into the different world, man, it really is. We're growing up in the twenties economic system, watching it the ceiling six times. I mean, my parents were alive, they'd just go what that hell? Hell? Or what?
Speaker 2: And Terry got a plate in his arm because it was in an auto accident.
Speaker 3: When you were a kid.
Speaker 1: Okay, top ound fracture, the humors. Yeah, we were driving in uh only about two bunchs of the technology. They had to fuse bone again. Yeah, because they couldn't do it.
Speaker 2: And I'm driving with him and he goes, oh, there's see that tree right there, that big gouge in the tree.
Speaker 4: So I did that. We weren't. I knew he was in the accident.
Speaker 1: It was right there. The scourge of World War two ostiomyolagnis, which means if you got a shot through a bone, they couldn't use the marrow together, it'll kill you. If the marrow touch got outside that we're the firsteine part of your flesh is you'd lose the arm. So I almost lost the arm.
Speaker 3: I was just say, you almost had like a like a Rick Allen situation.
Speaker 2: And his dad was a police officer, like you said, and his dad didn't you say his.
Speaker 1: Car and we were in My aunt was trying and you didn't know it was his own kids landing his own.
Speaker 4: He comes to the as to his father, and there.
Speaker 1: Was the bad because he's got the spring in the seat cut news, He've got my cousin nineties stchens. I was thrown out of the car and we were all stripped naked down their naked. He ripped our shoes off. Yeah one one lady was the real bad I thought that happened, that riped your clothes on us.
Speaker 4: Lady was at a bus stop and her.
Speaker 1: Daughter crushed or glossed both of her legs and grandma lost her leg rather the spy woke up next to her foot.
Speaker 4: I went, man, he was just a little boy.
Speaker 1: I think it was a nineteen sixty three wow wow. You know it came back but and and didn't have any he never had any. He was probably the fastest runner I've ever seen at phs. He had one hundred yard dash of like nine and a half seconds.
Speaker 3: He could get really, but.
Speaker 1: His hips from jumping off those the drum risers and ship they're a shot. I mean he he had to come down in the golf cart last time I saw him. And you know, you drive a golf cart down to the driveway and cold water gang because it couldn't walk. It really couldn't walk that well, you know.
Speaker 3: That was the famous thing Dave told Eddy Eddie at the ninety six m TV Video Awards Eddie's like, the press is like, what's god, what happened next? You're gonna make an album? He'sa liked, Oh I gotta get my hip replaced. And apparently Dave was like, tonight's about me. That's your fucking hip.
Speaker 1: That's the thing.
Speaker 3: Oh good, you want.
Speaker 1: To rub ever the wrong way? Oh my god. I've seen him look like think he's gonna kill him right in front of me. He tried to get back in the game for years. They said, don't even bother calling here, and it was you know, they came follow themselves. I mean, the only thing I don't like that. I think it was a low character to put Michael into a ploy. He was an integral part of that band.
Speaker 3: Well what do you think that brought him back? Was it Wolfgang? That ultimately was the reason he Dave came back. That's the story.
Speaker 1: Well, he wanted to play with Wolfgang, and Mike understood that.
Speaker 3: But the Wolfgang called David.
Speaker 1: But I wouldn't want to play drums in my group.
Speaker 4: And I played with my son all the time.
Speaker 1: For kids your musical, you know, if you haven't given a different thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, my.
Speaker 2: Son's a songwriter, so he plays with me. Yeah, so we can play that.
Speaker 1: We just played Friday like the Calcil.
Speaker 4: Saturday we played a musical, the Music Festival and Big Bear.
Speaker 2: So we're up all the time playing and then I'm in the studio constantly.
Speaker 4: Then Sunday we were in the studio. You didn't come to that session, No nothing, It's.
Speaker 1: Only two hours. I like to go in and do something. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, sometimes he makes it, sometimes he doesn't. That's fine, but he always hears everything to make.
Speaker 4: Sure that we're doing well.
Speaker 1: I've kind of let things go the way they are because sounds good. Well, I don't want to try to put too much of the trust me now, but you don't. You don't want to put too much of yourself, even in your own recordings, because it gets kind of tunnel vision. I don't know, playing with multiple music, I don't think i'd like that. Zepp as much of our plant wasn't saying any John Paul Jones Wood playing bass, I mean either who that was the magic the different the different players Now, it's like, you know, the guys I like to play with. I spent two years getting James to play bass for me, and it's all burned up. Get I should have got the hard drives out because that's where everything was ark going. Oh that's right, every sucking thing I ever did is gone. What happened?
Speaker 3: Like home insurance people are wondering, like they didn't they help you out?
Speaker 1: Well, I've got a three million dollar lawsuit going. But the thing is you told the companies for historically pay less get out of it. The bigger the corporation, the more money they have a monopoly that you know. They made four point eight billion dollars this last quarter and this is all about keeping their stareholders. But they were told to move the towers in nineteen seventy one and they refuse to do so. So it's negligence which puts me. And I lost my insurance three weeks before that because a fair plan you haven't Newsom just ran all the insurance companies out. Nobody would cover me. All State north Brook was my company. They canceled my auto, they canceled everything. They put me on a fair plan list. Or here I'm going.
Speaker 4: Months before the fire.
Speaker 1: So it's kind of it's the same thing all the way up the slope and I was it's so close to the mountains, said it turned a fair plan all up there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Terry and I are probably how far are we each other, maybe two miles thick whatever, Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so we're both the fire was here right, this place is here it yeah, the wed blew it over ninety miles an hour. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So if you look this way, like this is the big window right there.
Speaker 2: So out that window the you know, I'm standing with my daughter looking at the flames coming our way, and I'm like, we got to get all the animals out.
Speaker 4: I started packing up the guitars, putting moving all the cars, you know, and lived up there my whole life.
Speaker 1: I've never seen anything like this.
Speaker 2: So the whole time, we have electricity and water. He's in Altadenas five miles away. Say the same, I'm closer.
Speaker 4: To the mountain you than you are.
Speaker 2: And then the wind suddenly changed position and went towards Alasadena and we said, prayer, I don't know.
Speaker 1: If that was five streets off the National Forest, each street would go every ten minutes.
Speaker 2: Yes, And I put two blocks from the mountain and he's five streets from it.
Speaker 1: And so when blew right over the Meridium her my neighborhood, and that turned around and came due south of eighty miles an hour. Yeah, he had fires form. It was like being bombed.
Speaker 3: Christy had missed your house.
Speaker 2: It turned away from Sierra Madre and went to But the ironic thing is he has no power at six.
Speaker 4: In the evening and then they turn off the water. And here I'm at Sierra Madre and I got water and power. Why would they shut up?
Speaker 1: We had a recording of the police chief calling Edison, going, tell your boss to turn the grid off. So he's not going to be in until nine am in the morning. Well it was over by then.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I got to notice that my insurance was going to be canceled.
Speaker 2: His was already canceled, and so then we have to go on the fair plan, which is double the amount of money that you're paying or triple the regular insurance company.
Speaker 1: Well, I have wondervranage. My in laws went to school with my attornity Michael watching. He's one of the he's a guy that got the money out of Lohaina. And now they can't they can't delay it much longer, you know, Yeah, because what they do is they delay it till so many people are dying. And it was an old neighborhood that they didn't pay a lot of taxes with grandfather's named.
Speaker 4: Gerald Holmes, you know.
Speaker 1: And it was out.
Speaker 3: You got out around four a m. Right is that I.
Speaker 1: Slept at four twenty one and I was literally covered with soot. There was no more oxygen. I couldn't breathe. I had to go. I got the last loads in the car. I left my most valuable stuff. I couldn't get it back in the.
Speaker 2: Ap and I took everything that I could, all my pictures, all my guitars, all my animals, and I moved all the cars down and because I was thinking something could happen.
Speaker 4: And then I took the r V which we take to gigs and.
Speaker 1: We say life. So we evacuated old woman down the Spirit. I went down and insisted she get out. Yeah, because my cats like to get my cat. They said, the hell with your cat. You're not going to live through this. It was that bad.
Speaker 4: She had to leave immediately. The house went out.
Speaker 1: She lives in Connecticut now too, what you call me goes. Thank you you saved my life.
Speaker 4: Her poor cats died, But yeah, she was out.
Speaker 1: We do here because she's a sixty three playboy centerfold.
Speaker 3: Was okay, forward and she lives in Connecticut. Now she lives in Connecticut.
Speaker 1: Now, yeah, she loves it up there.
Speaker 3: So yeah, and then your mom's ashes, right is.
Speaker 1: That to get anything out the studio? It was so funny. I mean, I had an old fifties of keeping marriage. Still it looked like I'd been sodo mind in prison. It was better, right, and all the new appliances were all made out of that plactic deposit. They weren't there nothing. It was just an empty lot with JPL came up because the neighbors a JPL employees. They measured the twenty one hundred degrees.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you have to remember we live right by Natha. I used to work there. JPL Jeff proposed didn't burn. Now, had it burned, it would have been so toxic.
Speaker 1: No, they'd have been a crater about a mile away there.
Speaker 2: It would have been so detrimental to the whole area. But it didn't get touched.
Speaker 4: All that house. They made sure it did got safe. And it's ironic, you know what I mean, It's really weird.
Speaker 1: I've never seen a whole city though. When I remember the Oakland fire when I was a kid, nothing better of this the whole.
Speaker 3: In that video, there's a shot overhead of all the holts.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, don't forget you're talking about the mountains way up here, and you got blocks and blocks.
Speaker 2: Way down and Washington Bulow Arc, you know, like, Yeah, it was like we have apartments and the tenants were calling me saying should we leave it.
Speaker 1: A Michael, It was a quirky thing. You look at one house ago, how the hell did this thing survive? And everything around?
Speaker 4: But they were right, the tenants they.
Speaker 1: Were bombing run.
Speaker 4: The fire was coming down so far.
Speaker 1: It struck me as like it wouldn't be like a fire. It was like a bombing. It was. It was almost because I just literally melted everything, the wheels melted on the car.
Speaker 4: Yeah. The next day we went driving around and then it looked like a movie set.
Speaker 2: There was just fire, like they left all the gas on and all the gas was just burning and the.
Speaker 1: Cars and they played the gas cup. They had not to do with it.
Speaker 3: It was crazy, Terry, are you just are you in shock? Like the next day, I mean, what's mostly.
Speaker 1: Basket page? For about four months my in laws took care of me. I think he still gave me a room there, and I just kind of recuperated, and then all of a sudden things started to click.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I figured I got to get out of here. I can't live off these people. So the Mormons donated a RV to me, not a bad one, and I put solar power in it and turned off grid because I'm not going to give Edison any more money.
Speaker 4: They wanted him to pay to hook up electricy.
Speaker 1: They want like nine hundred dollars to put a line, and I'm going, you guys burned my whole world down and you want nine hundred bucks.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And then you and I met what one month after the fire.
Speaker 1: Was one month? No, I think it was, yeah, Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then he never would come out of his house very often. He was kind of a guy that just yeah. And so it was funny that had the fire not come, you and I wouldn't have met.
Speaker 1: No, I wouldn't be the clubs I got bored playing again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the feeling, the feeling I get, like, that's the vibe, like like Christie, like you you you met him like here here that there's a reason that you came.
Speaker 1: Into his life.
Speaker 3: Oh, we both there's something. Yeah, there's something in the underlying that. You know it's right, it's true, big picture stuff to read any.
Speaker 1: Think it's because we didn't try.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And the funny thing is we're only twelve years apart in age. We're not that.
Speaker 1: Like twelve years I'll think I'd like that, but twelve back, I'll think that we're not.
Speaker 4: We're off an age.
Speaker 2: But but it's interesting because his generation does feel different, but we ran in the same circles more or less.
Speaker 1: You know where I come out of it. You know what you do stupid ship, you get stupid prizes, And I got tired of stupid pride. I mean, it's like playing. It's like you, No, nothing that you get out there is going to be permanent. It's going to be this is the way it changed horse into this or that.
Speaker 4: But roller can put that out there. It kind of is permanent.
Speaker 1: You got to give them something. I think you have to give people something that's like they can hang on to mentally, something that sticks in their head. Well, I agree, that's what I'm trying about.
Speaker 4: He's always looking.
Speaker 2: I love it because he's always looking for the next thing that moves him.
Speaker 4: And but he but I never discount the stuff that's already there. I'm like, you know what, I'm.
Speaker 1: Right like the deep tracks if you follow my case, pretty hey, yeah, you wrote all Joe Burn went around there, you went around the bend again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you wrote all the tracks that are that we're working on, so you're you know, there's not none of my A.
Speaker 1: Lot of people write some of the lyrics. I write the song's got a movie before the lyrics. Let me too.
Speaker 4: I have the music person, then I put the lyrics. But you know my, uh well, I don't remember.
Speaker 1: I think it's all been done so much that we have to honest, Like, you know, Alan holwork was a big influence on me. He's what it does all the John Carpenter movies.
Speaker 3: Yes, oh yeah, man, it's the opening scene to Halloween. Four is one of my favorite musical movie moments.
Speaker 1: Ay good. You know he believes in four forty two and I do too. I mean, it's just a nicer four forty irritates me. If I listened to it a long time, it irritates me. I started to go like that pitch four forty two is like more than natural rhythm of the universe. I can hear it when you're just in school, you know what I mean. I went to the same school Pev Herbert went, dude, rather.
Speaker 3: Get out where should people go to get the update on the album? And they should go to the website?
Speaker 4: Right Well, I'm going to start putting things up on Spotify.
Speaker 2: I've just been so busy doing all the things that we're doing, promoting and digging, and in the studio I.
Speaker 1: Talked shit about it. I'd rather put it out let speak for itself.
Speaker 4: You know, well, yeah, you got watch where they're going to get it, right, Yeah, but you have.
Speaker 3: To have something to give them because I want to help. I want to help get the word out.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Thank you so much. Every release that we have to dated tube right now is where I.
Speaker 2: Put a up most quickly, but definitely once I get it because I work.
Speaker 4: With one company that helps promote it. Websites are places that things will be updated. I have a Facebook.
Speaker 2: Page, Instagram that gets updated regularly, and then also the channel for YouTube, and then we'll start doing you know, Spotify and all that kind of stuff as well.
Speaker 3: So let's wind down with books here, because obviously this podcast is it's booked on rock, so we focus on rock and roll books. So what any music books that have meant a lot to you?
Speaker 1: I read Hammered to Gods. I read me Alice. I thought Alice Cooper's one was interesting because he had a lot of good narrative in how you know Chef Gordon came into the Cheetah Club and they were so bad that they cleared the whole club out like ten minutes. He came, goes, I want to manage your guys, and there was anybody clear out of auditorium quick.
Speaker 3: I think that's how a print down.
Speaker 1: I like up and Down with the Rolling Stones, but that was mainly kind of he was down. Yeah, you know, Heroin and coke and all that kind of nonsense.
Speaker 4: That was a good book, though, I thought, well.
Speaker 1: It showed you. It showed how Keith Richards was. When Bobby Keys is odd, he said, fucking god, am I going to give you any of mine? You know?
Speaker 4: And I just got the Keith Richards but but I haven't read it yet.
Speaker 1: The Who Who had a good one, but together they're so crazy, I mean the one the band. Some of the English bands were so flambuollyant. I mean, how the hell did The Who survive? And kitt language that if they kept destroying gear, they're going to go back. They went bank up the first tour they did, and then you know, then Roger punched Pete Douc and the vocals are loud up on quadraphedia and ship like that. I was interestowing all that stuff, but a lot of it was whoy You know that was written by the authors that either had an antagonistic view of the of the players and stuff.
Speaker 3: You know, I mean that well, the Keith Richards book, because that that was like that brought on a resurgence of rock and roll books memoirs. Now, yeah, so many. I read Dave's book, David Lee's book.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was one time. And my name's a way in the back of the index. Alex meant to me in his book one time.
Speaker 4: Did you read that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I read I. I had an autographed copy of it. Oh it's more of as I like the mumbers at the girl in the tag he goes, my mom really don't how to pack of lunch. He'd find some funny ship. But I've seen him make such a path of himself, like with with Robin Williams and Jay Leno or the two best improv guys that business. He really stepped it at that night.
Speaker 3: That was surreal. That's ninety five.
Speaker 1: That was he played with me when you do Las Vegas and then got fired in Las Vegas. I mean it was like he had a residency there and she said, we don't want you anymore. Yeah, had a way I kind of shooting yourself in the front.
Speaker 4: I think, like, what about that theory of you know, there is no bad publicity?
Speaker 1: Did that work for him?
Speaker 3: Such things?
Speaker 1: There's bad publicity?
Speaker 3: Well, you were with him? Are on the time he got busted for pot in New York City right with it? Spring of ninety.
Speaker 1: Four, got mad at me for getting drunk in Sammy's Romainian restaurant, and he goes and gets the butt to the next day, I score a joint down in the Grammar Street Park. We you know, drive around the city on bicycles. Goes, you know what he goes. He hung four thousand people on that tree. Said I want to wear a guitar. Would sound like if you made it from the wood? I said, I don't think it would make any difference. He paid a well, well, hu's way to go to a record there.
Speaker 3: You know, you should write a book about your I could.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know more than I should. And I'll tell you that I watched. I liked watch watching. You know, I remember introducing Edward to Norman Harris. Norman had all the guitars right, Norm's rare guitars. Him and George controlled the world market, and Norman started out in Florida selling Sunburst left balls for four and fifty dollars. And I at the point when I got Edward does two fifty nine eleven, five hundred for both of them, and then he took the pickups out of him and he gave him back in Norm about twenty years LATERCS and normals, I don't want him because I'd give you a half a million for him. You took the pickups out of him, so you know that was like you had to do the stuff.
Speaker 3: If I can help in any way, I could, you know, get you some contacts in the publishing business and you know, if you were ever interested in them. Mark Kendall's got a book coming out from Yeah, wow, man, it'd be great. So you got all the stores from the from from the days growing.
Speaker 1: Up Dodge of Funny Ship. We used to go out on the Marquee at the Trouba door and put all kinds of obscene words out there, and Doug wet to get so pissed off. Everard was like they think they weren't real popular with with the with the with the management class. I mean, like I remember Rod Stewart, which we were watching a soccer game with you because I knew his hairstylist and I went down to the watch him playing, and he goes, hey, this guy knows Van Halen and Rod Dribble. They're a bunch of dick Jesus correct stuff. Will tell you that he has very short arms and long pockets.
Speaker 3: He's been canceling some shows recently. Rod Stewart, Yeah, he's just having some issues. On one show he had he had to put the thing to get oxygen. In the really show, he had to sit down. So I hope he's o good.
Speaker 1: That was something that you and I when we met that he was one of the best performers out there live. He was in his prime nineteen seventy seven.
Speaker 3: They were on them Yes and Faces and working.
Speaker 4: Together were thinking of the faces.
Speaker 1: The sounds like his vocals on it, right, He said, how much you do too bad by the faces? Right? It's got the big piano intro with Nicky Hopkins. I use a guitar senter and assimulating because it's just blocked chords and that song. You gotta remember, these guys were playing stadiums back in nineteen seventy three. They were a stadium band. Ronnie Lade and Hiwak built a four oh five FM, a four hundred and five what you know, a pad that was just absolutely outside of the envelope. I thought he did that because they played stadium if they wanted to use one air.
Speaker 4: One of my favorite.
Speaker 3: Fans, well, his his vocals on on Jeff Beck's Truth. Yeah, I mean morning do. Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Somebody gave Jeff back a bad time about the Truth because the truth is the album. This is the truth about this album. Yeah yeah, but I think he was most roading a guitar player ever lived. Nobody will ever touch. Yeah, he's all by himself then, I mean, he didn't influence that many people, but he influenced everybody because you could touch the guitar the way he did. It was like a goodvining rod for him. I mean he had a you know, it sounds like a sad you can make it sound like a little sad animal. Yes, he's talking to you. You know, he'd play along with little birds in his kitchen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, he did that on You Had a Coming. He's got that one where he's talking to I think it's called Blackbird and he's talking to the birds. But the other thing I was gonna say is, if you get a chance, get that book by Brad and Chris blow by Blow. It's it's a really good book.
Speaker 1: Really, I would like to read that. I read that. The last one I read that was good was just recently, and I wasn't impressed with the writing. I think that somebody had a chip on their shoulder about all those books. Was not very informative to me. It was kind of like closed off. You know. You talked about the people, but all the people that really were in their lives back then are all dead. They were tightest with the Emberson Brobers. They both committed suicide, I mean their own cousins. They stole their platinum records. They thought there was real platinum in those records.
Speaker 3: I mean, oh yeah, stole them off the wall and that the little house there they stole.
Speaker 1: And I got blamed for it. And evergoes he was. He was at the forum with me because they invited me down to you know, the first couple of tours. Well, they said they thought would be I was jealous or something. That was no way jealous. I was glad to get rid of those fuckers so I could get a gig. You got all the good gigs after that, one of the last big dog in town. Oh my god, Trouble wasn't my My rhythm section was never as good as Alan. Like, Al was a great drummer. I stand by. He was as much entertainment to watch as ever was because he said such attitude, I mean the energy those guys. I remember already Agaginian's raceway, you know Askot It was a big raceway out here. Already Agagenian would throw parties down on Lombard and the huge house that had four acres of land, and Al would play, and he jump up in those drums and spit and drink, slit them mouth and then fight with somebody spared him all night long. After the gig. Wow, they did ridiculous ship. I mean John Bosco Tech. They said, carry better regret that for me and I got over and had a smoke plot with about a quarter pound of gunpowder in it. He blew me wrap up the stage. I thought it was the funniest thing in the rock that you got your asshole. And Alex could drive him up next to people on the freeway and pull his paint down, Sticky's ants out the window and never were driving little secretary driving home from work. They like to get a reaction out of people, you know.
Speaker 3: But you see, this is this is the book. You've got the stories. Man, You gotta look, you gotta definitely consider that.
Speaker 1: They played a place called Barnacle Bills and it was like something out of the Barbary Coast. I mean, if you could get the saliva off the walls and nicotine stains on the ceiling where like you could you could smoke it right, I'm not a beer that they drank. We used to call them edcohol and alcohol because old man was all you know, he was. He played down at that what is the Dutch to the Danish place down in the Hawthorn that's got the uh all the European your dad probably went there. All the European people went to these pop they played Polka's right, yeah, that's where Jan came from. But me and Ev did have the edge because we both had grandfathers that were woodwind players. And we played John Ackerman, you know, focus, hocus focus, cause Akerman was fast and we couldn't figure out what he's doing. And Ed's dad goes, it's a backwards diminute scale. It's been notated.
Speaker 4: I thought, fuck is that Alpine village?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Alpine village. And I was playing in my grandmother's house when I was about fourteen, and my grandfather comes in. He hadn't played play the Boston orph him and Carnegie all for twenty years. What are you playing that Chinese music for? You know that Dalian guy that works underworld. We have to hear. What do you playing that Chiny music for? That's what don't you know what a sharp and a flat is? I said, no, Grandpa goes, sit down. I'm gonna show yourself. You guys clear. That showed me how to do all seven modes. He goes, that's your diminished mode. You pay attention to. That's what you guys, you hopheads do now call hopheads you know what I mean? It was? It was my mom goes, you're not letting those men help Alen boys in the house are you tell me tet your shoes off when they come in here? And I remember going over to Ed's house on a Halloween. I was wearing a boiler suit like he used to wear. The white Yeah, you were that the other guy. I was young. I was yelling at him. I was yelling at him, and his mom goos, she's a Dutch Indonesian lady.
Speaker 4: She goes, oh, that's what.
Speaker 1: There's a spook by the fence. And I remember at when summer is over the top of the coming house. Very much a mama's boy and the girl and Eds like and control everything. Matriarchal. Come from a very matriarchal European family, and a woman dominates. I mean, mister van Haim was always drunk, sitting in his fishing boat out in the yard, in the he played at Alpinelle with the clarinet.
Speaker 3: Did Ed boil his is it chew? He boiled his strings in the uh in his mother's strings.
Speaker 1: You boil all the life out of them. They're dead when you put them on.
Speaker 4: I knew another guy that did that.
Speaker 1: We used the Floyd Roses out and you fine tuner, So how the hell do you keep that in tune? He couldn't keep it in tune.
Speaker 3: And and did he also did he also hang the guitars after they were painted on the clothesline. That's the stories that he would he would hang his guitar on his mom.
Speaker 1: How are you doing with the electrical tape and swim bicycle white blacker with black pieces of electrical tape that were done in the pattern? Say that's kind of neat. Then all of a sudden, it's a it's like a Picasso thing. I mean, it's a trademark. But that took the years, but he beat those guitars up something fierce. But I remember we played the last gig they ever played, Passagina. I did an opener and we were actually very good. But they ever, they went for broke. I mean they played that night like it was the last night they ever had to play a non professional gig, and they did. I mean, they could have that band could have broke up, but they they stuck together and they worked three hundred days a year for several years to get back what they didn't get from the sex pistols got all the attention. They were a bunch of funk ups. I mean, look at Siddy, know that moment. I mean they can't for sure, Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 3: I have a bootleg of the Pasadena Civic and Dave says, this is the last show.
Speaker 1: Because they just signed a boat house uh and Ready Kill a Lot and Ben Halen Wow. And it was like they were different. I mean like they got popular because they had such a draw. I mean they all the school's Arcadia High all the way down with people Rivera. They had a big promotional thing, people will go out, you know, put ten thousand flyers out. And when they played, I mean it just all they do is show up. They played Guzars all the time, which didn't you know, there was a lot of nights there's nobody in there. And then there was Knights that Roger Waters and Ricky Richie Blackmore came in and I said, what are you gonna don't don't don't play out of tune. There was like a half step out of tune. They played Firehouse by Kiss. I mean it was back then.
Speaker 4: They didn't even have tuonors though, did they.
Speaker 1: No, we hadn't. I mean, just you tune them up and you played exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah. That's why sometimes you listen to old albums and you hear there slightly off, you know, and it's kind of great.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's one thing I don't like about modern studios is all the engineers. They want to take it and make everything perfect, and I'm like, I don't want it.
Speaker 1: Don't say we do a song, you like it, you play a really good verse, you take that same version, you thread it, and all the other verse lots. It loses something, doesn't I agree? Yeah? Yeah? And then like you never would have a jagger Richard put a stake to the teleporter harmony.
Speaker 2: You didn't if you wanted it perfect, like they would destroy that, you know, So I always let it, let.
Speaker 1: It be no. But you know, while they recording the old days like propo Harum on the home album, they did it live. They sang it and played it live.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you don't mess up. But just like back in the big band era, too is the same. They had a good recond the whole band redo, the whole thing.
Speaker 1: They had outtakes from that home album and they played it exactly. Everybody showed up, got in there and performed go over drubs, know nothing, and you think, wow, that how they used to do it.
Speaker 3: And there was a drummer tell me recently that Charlie Watts was technically not perfect, but who better to play the stones Charlie.
Speaker 1: You know what you couldn't do with Charlie. You could turn a metronomonom He never went off the beat, never, Charlie.
Speaker 3: Charlie Watts.
Speaker 1: I love Ringo. That shopple were you ever seeing where Greg Bisnette explained getting all the drummers that explain, Yes, the ringo thing, and it's just you know, it was his own thing.
Speaker 3: Charlie would do that thing where he would like it almost sounds like it's the sound of somebody like diving into the water. He'd hit the snare and then snare and yeah, it was a really cool effect to that. So, okay, this was phenomenal. This is fantastic. We're talking for like almost three hours here. This is just so awesome.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know the guy that I really think they really need to get some credit here at Harvey Mandel, because he was he was like Jeff Beck back in Blow by Blow, you're doing instrumental music. His son was murdered up by the Oakland police because his kid got in some trouble. But Harvey had a hard life, but he was a great guitar player. He got kind of stepped on.
Speaker 3: Was he doing the finger tapping stuff as well?
Speaker 1: He was on the Rolling Stones album Black what was it? Black and Blue?
Speaker 3: Black and Blue? Which song? Oh my god, what a song?
Speaker 1: Don't that? That's harvey vibe is Harvey went all the way?
Speaker 3: Oh okay, another one.
Speaker 1: And then that's when they were thinking about put Harvey in the band. And then you know, naturally Ronnie would fit in a lot better than Harvey.
Speaker 3: And they thought about Jeff Beck joining the Stones.
Speaker 1: Harvey played with what were they called John Sugarcane Harris the junkie dead now the fiddle player, but he would play with the Pure Food and Drug act that was a big act in La back in nineteen seventy one. But he had a neat sound. He had a really organic, kind of cool sound. And I knew his family really well because that's I took lessons from him, the door, the way he played, and he traded me for like babyshit my son, Eric and you give me some lesson.
Speaker 3: Terry, Christy, thank you so much. We're gonna I was telling Christy to just send me all the links you guys want to send me, so people can stay up the date on this album when it comes out, and then send me some tracks and we can play some the best.
Speaker 1: I can try to make some magic. There's a magic he's already made.
Speaker 3: It, tell you, And will you be playing some of the Dave stuff live?
Speaker 1: If he's like, I really hope that I've got a good settlement and I can buy back some of his ship.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I invested in trying to get what he needs to record, and so we're definitely are going to play live.
Speaker 1: That's not cool, it's all. It's going to end up on midget p three anyhow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, are you feeling optimistic about the lawsuit?
Speaker 1: Very because you know what they've proven him that they're all twenty six hours were faulty, and the wind blew the garrelic tower and molten metal went down the ground. They didn't get baiting and think they were supposed to clean up. They sucked up all the way around. Harry's got so here, I got nineteen billion dollars, got there ready, and it's not even there.
Speaker 3: Mony sure is the lawyer telling you to be patient because those things to get drunk.
Speaker 1: We were at a meeting and they started talking about how their ce yogat a sixteen million dollar bonus for burning my house.
Speaker 3: Down, of course.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the same Froggy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if that's the case, you know, but it's terrible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all the best of that. I mean whatever whatever I could do to help her that man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah for Connecticut. You got from Wapping, from Irish and.
Speaker 3: I can't be made. I'm like denarow, I can't be made.
Speaker 1: I couldn't get made in your best friend, I didn't take Believe me if I was back aches that have been in the Crew's.
Speaker 3: A small world story. Roberts DeNiro's aunt lived in my hometown. She was friends with my mom. She passed. She passed only a few years ago. She's like ninety something. But yeah, she lived right in town here that he used to come. Yeah, he'd come by.
Speaker 1: From the long lineas grow Democrats.
Speaker 3: Man, I'd love to I'd love to meet you someday in person. If if you guys are coming around coast.
Speaker 1: I get out that way. She'll be out that way tomorrow. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, look okay, yeah yeah, get ready.
Speaker 1: For the humidity. My tallest building you kind of go far up and you can't see it, and then.
Speaker 2: He's telling me all those places he stayed, and I'm like looking them up, I'm like, oh, I won't be staying in those places where you tour.
Speaker 1: To date, I think you know very far. My bill is like fifty six dollars every month. I said, why are we here? Go home seven miles away. I mean, ocean is the best room we had there. It's an old supermarket. They come into a studio.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well thanks again, guys. This was this was so cool man. I'm just so glad we made this happen.
Speaker 1: God man, that's it.
Speaker 3: It's in the books.