Speaker 1: We have covered some pretty strange cases over the course of this podcast, and today's case, though solved, still earns a place amongst one of the most strangest cases that we have ever come across. It's the story of twin sisters who, for one reason or another, seems to go insane at the very same time. In what was described as potentially fueled by drugs, the two sisters ran straight into busy highway traffic, endangering their own lives. Though they narrowly survived, one sister would continue her delusion and would take her as far as murdering a complete stranger. This is the bizarre and strange story of the Ericsson sisters.
Speaker 2: My name's Ben, I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked and Grim.
Speaker 1: A true crime podcast. The following material more audience listener discretion. Christmas is over and the new Year is on its way. We hope you guys had a merry Christmas, a happy holiday, all that good stuff. We were pretty busy on ours, not gonna lie, but it was good.
Speaker 2: I feel like we were. We really chilled, especially on Christmas Well Day, Christmas Day, Christmas Day, yes, but there was still like a lot of Christmas dinner making, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's and there was still a lot of hustle and bustle about it, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Our turkey wasn't done until nine, yeah, on Christmas Day. I don't know what exactly we were doing there.
Speaker 1: The math apparently didn't work out for how how long you cook it per a kilogram of the turkey. So yeah, it took a lot longer than we expected. You're hoping to have dinner around like seven, no thirty insteads But.
Speaker 2: It was delicious. It was worth the way it was.
Speaker 1: We did like turkey of course stuffing. We had some some roasted vegetables like yams or with sweet potato. What's the difference between.
Speaker 2: A yam and a I think yes, I don't really know, but it was sweet potato and Brussels broke okay, with like a cranberry glaze.
Speaker 1: It was real good. It was delicious. Yes, So hopefully you guys had some good eats over your Christmas holiday. And we did a giveaway over on Patreon, which we didn't do the official announcement of the winners yet or contact the winners just because you know, hey, Christmas, but we did a little pre show podcast that we do sometimes, and we talked about who the winners were, so they're technically announced, but we didn't do the official post yet, but we did a little Christmas giveaway.
Speaker 2: Yeah there. Yeah, you know it's the time of year, tis the season, right the season.
Speaker 1: I am looking forward to things going back to normal in the new year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, a new year. New Year's are kind of nice. Sometimes it's just like a like a fresh start.
Speaker 1: It is. I mean, a fresh start can happen anytime.
Speaker 2: On totallykend, but it's it's I guess it's amplified, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think for us like it comes with that, like the new year is coming at a very convenient time for a fresh start. Yes, because we moved our tiny home recently where you know, we're building a new coop for our chickens. We're on some new area and a lot of busyness is coming to an end, and I think that twenty twenty five for us is going to be a good way to get right back on track, get things normalized, and you know, just just do our thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So yeah, it's going to be good.
Speaker 1: I think it will be. Yeah, what's your favorite thing you got for Christmas, which I'm just going to say from me, what's your favorite thing you got from me for Christmas?
Speaker 2: Oh man? Probably the shoes that you got me.
Speaker 1: The shoes, okay, well yeah, cause we.
Speaker 2: Were just doing stockings this year, and so like a pair of shoes isn't really you know, expected in a stalking right well, and I freaking love shoes.
Speaker 1: So technically they didn't fit in the stocking.
Speaker 2: They didn't. It was like outside of the stalking, but still I really like shoes and their comfy and they fit perfect, and it was like, damn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's nothing wrong with keeping it simple and you know, low budget. That's kind of what we did. And I think one of the favorite things I got from you was my Jones Cream soda. Really, yes, I love Jones's.
Speaker 2: Okay, so say it one year because I like struggled with this. I can't always find it for some reason.
Speaker 1: That's okay.
Speaker 2: Would you would be noticed and be like upset? Right?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: No, no, but you'd be like, oh damn, I could use a Jones Cream soda right now.
Speaker 1: Then I'd go buy one. I know, there's nothing wrong with that, right.
Speaker 2: Oh man? I thought it was going to be like the gloves or the the silicon measuring cups. I gave you.
Speaker 1: Touche because I do some like arts projects inside those measuring cups are perfect, and it's not.
Speaker 2: Really excited about those.
Speaker 1: The new work gloves, yes, love them. I don't know. It's just there's something about that Jones's cream soda. I love it.
Speaker 2: Well, you don't have it very often.
Speaker 1: No, I don't really buy it for myself. So yeah, so it was good. I hopefully you guys, like I said, had a great Christmas and holiday, and hopefully your new year coming up is going to be even better and just all around fantastic because you deserve it absolutely. Yeah. Yeah, So should we get into the case today rather than talking about the holidays and everything?
Speaker 2: Yeah, people might be holidayed out and they just want to, like, you know, vege and listen to this good call.
Speaker 1: I know, I've got a coffee in hand, and I'm ready to talk about this case. This is a weird one. I'm not gonna lie. It's just this case is weird, flat out. I don't know how else to describe it, so I'm not going to try. It's weird, okay, period.
Speaker 2: I mean done from the intro. It sounded a bit odd.
Speaker 1: It's it's odder than you will expect from the intro. I gave some things away. I gave the main plot away, okay, but things that happen in nuances about how it happens. It's fucking weird. And like I said, it is a solved case, but that doesn't mean there's not mystery about it.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, Okay, I'm intrigued.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm gonna take a sip of coffee. Let's do this thing so good? Okay. So everything began on the sixteenth of May in two thousand and eight in Mallow, County Cork, sorry malle Mallow in County Cork, Ireland. There we go.
Speaker 2: You just laughed, you mess up right away, and just hot.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I messed up bad, like right in the first sentence. So I guess that's just set in the tone for you know how twenty twenty twenty five is going to start going for me? Probably?
Speaker 2: Well, I just have okay, really really quickly. My friend gave I don't know if she's going to listen to this, she may, but she gave us a Christmas card and it was like, May your twenty twenty six be bright or whatever, and I was like, dude, you're a year ahead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so let me start that over again. Everything began on the sixteenth of May two thousand and eight in Mallow, which is the county Cork in Ireland.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: The weather on this particular day felm, you know, quintessentially Irish, or at least that's how Chatchypt described it when I asked about the weather for this date to kind of set the scene, which quintessentially Irish, I guess is you know, it's cool, with temperatures hovering between eight and fourteen degrees celsius or about forty seven to fifty eight degrees fahrenheit. I guess that's what Chatchypt defines as quint essentially Irish. Okay, But it was the sort of spring day where a light jacket was a must. Clouds hung over in the low sky, leaving everything soft and muted tones, with a rain inevitable for the light, rain inevitable for the evening. Self is nestled on the banks of the river Blackwater and carries an old worth, an old world charm about it kind of blends seamlessly into the modern day. Buzz. It's known as the Crossroads of Munster. The town has always been a meeting place Epton history and stories as well, but now in two thousand and eight, Mallow has evolved into a lively market town, and on this particular day, Ursula Erickson went to visit her sister Sabina. Not a whole on has been released on the women's earlier life, but we do know that they were both born on the third of November in nineteen sixty seven in Sweden and were identical twins. They grew up alongside their older siblings Mona and Bjorn. They enjoyed what could typically be described as a peaceful childhood within Sweden. There wasn't any records of mental health issues in their background, nor in their family, nor did they even have a criminal background themselves. So forwarding to the year two thousand, the sister's gone their separate ways, at least geographically, with Ursula settling in the United States while Sabina had moved to Ireland, where she started a family. Now according to reports, Ursula occasionally traveled from Ireland or sorry traveled to Ireland from the US to visit her family's sister, right and the two were described as being on good terms during this time. So there's absolutely nothing strange or weird. You know, one lives in the US, one lives in the Ireland or in the Ireland in Ireland, and one travels, you know, to go see the other from time to time. Now, on this particular day that I mentioned and describe the weather and all that sort of thing, that's exactly what happened. Ursula was headed over to visit Sabina in Ireland. So she made her way to her sister's place for this visit, and after staying and visiting for a few hours, Sabina eventually began having a bit of an argument or a fight if you will, with her husband. It's unclear and exactly what the argument was about or what started it, but it was enough for Sabina to leave her home with Ursula. So the two actually secretly left the home without her husband knowing.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, okay, yeah, they.
Speaker 1: Didn't tell Sabina's husband, They didn't say a word. They just left him and her two kids behind.
Speaker 2: Because Sabina, sorry, is the one that lives in Ireland.
Speaker 1: Correct Sabina is the one who's there, So she left her her husband and kids at home and just kind of snuck out of the house with her sister Ursula. Okay, yeah, that's that's all we really know. Now. Sabina's husband was, of course concerned when you know his wife was suddenly just gone, right, and he didn't hear anything from her or you know, her sister as well, So he's just like, what's going on, no word for the remain of the day, and he went to bed without knowing where she went.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's like stressful, it is, especially when you have kids and stuff too, right.
Speaker 1: Like, wow, hundred percent. And I don't know if he did call anything into authorities, but even if he did, there's not a whole lot that can be done. I mean, right, she's an adult who just left the house. You guys had a bit of an argument. She left the house with her sister. Cool story, bro, Like, what are you gonna do about She's not a missing person. Yeah, she's an adult, she has free will.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, right, more time would have to have passed exactly.
Speaker 1: Now. The next day, two sisters, the two sisters made their way to try and purchase two boarding passes. Now, I remember Sabina's home was in Ireland, but now By the next day, the two women found themselves in the UK, some approximate four hundred miles away depending on exactly you know, where she lived and stuff, but we'll just say for the sake the argument, approximately four hundred miles away. The women had boarded the National Express bus, which was headed for London. When they arrived at the highway service station in Keel, about fifty miles south of their destination Liverpool, the women got off the bus to use a batanus. They were not feeling too well. However, reportedly they were exhibiting some odd behavior after exiting the bus, and the driver noticed that they were holding their bags very tightly. As a result of the odd behavior, the bus driver did not allow the women to get back on the bus and board due to safety concerns, and the two women were left at the service station on the M six motorway.
Speaker 2: Okay, they must have like definitely been acting odd.
Speaker 1: Then they were certainly acting odd, and to the extent of what odd behavior really is, We're not certain, but it was enough for the bus driver to say, yeah, you can't get on the bus again.
Speaker 2: Kind of for the safety of like the other passengers. I'm assuming most likely themselves exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Now, do you want to clarify I did say highway earlier, because I'm gonna be talking about this section a lot. It's actually called the M six motorway, so I'm going to be calling it a motorway from here on out because that's what it's actually labeled as. Right So here at this station, which is kind of like a gas station, convenience store kind of situation as far as I'm aware, the manager then also made a phone call to police to report two strange women behaving erratically. So clearly there is some odd behavior because it's not just the bus driver's perspective and maybe the passengers, but we also have this manager at the service station who thinks the same thing. So there's clearly there's clearly a consensus.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, and it's obviously quite noticeable too. If that many people are, you know, take an action exactly now.
Speaker 1: Officers soon arrived at the service station and spoke to both of the women. However, after a while, the police left because they found nothing harmful about the women. Maybe they were just acting odd or whatever, but in their interaction there was nothing wrong, so they let the women be Shortly after the officers left, the two women decided that they were going to make their way on foot out into the traffic on the busy motorway. And when I mean busy, I mean yes, busy, like think of a Frogger game, Like there's cars constantly going and you're in and out trying to cross. Right. CCTV footage was pulled and there is footage of them running through traffic erratically and narrowly, narrowly escaping life threatening situations.
Speaker 2: So it's kind of just like going, not really necessarily waiting, just like yes, going through, yes, okay.
Speaker 1: And reportedly they were trying to cross this this motorway for one reason or another. I'm assuming to try and get to Liverpool, to their destination, but they had kind of like no real care for how this was going to turn out. They're just like, well we got to cross, let's cross.
Speaker 2: Huh. That's terrifying because I've been on some of these like busy highways and shit, and that's like, you know, it's pretty possible, like quite possible that you could get hit.
Speaker 1: Oh it is, especially because it's not only a matter of you know, you jump out into heavy traffic and you know what you're going fast, hard to break. It's a matter of there's other vehicles blocking view exactly.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so you may not even see them. You would and you wouldn't be expecting that either.
Speaker 1: Exactly. I've been in a situation, this is quite a few years ago, I think I've told you about it, where I almost hit someone because someone darted out in front and they they were being blocked by another vehicle. So there was a left lane beside me that was in a turning lane, and that lane was all backed up, but I was going straight through, so I was to the right of them. So they were backed up and stopped, and I was coming through going about fifty kilometers an hour. Green light, I'm just going. And then someone darted through that left turning lane that was stationary, right into my lane, and they saw me and they stopped and like you know, like when you like suck your belly into like you know, miss like a table or something going back. Yeah, that was the edge of my truck. Like they sucked themselves in and just I barely got by.
Speaker 2: Oh man, in their life just flashed like what is this saying?
Speaker 1: Flash before they're eyes. Yeah, Yeah, that's pretty much the situation. And that's the sort of thing these women are doing willingly, just going out trying to cross this road.
Speaker 2: Huh okay.
Speaker 1: Now, police were soon called back to the scene to try and deal with the escalating events. But just as it so happened, the officers to respond that day were actually being followed by a camera crew who were in the middle of filming a TV series about British transport police. So the camera crew was filming the entire following events, and little did they know that this public disturbance call would soon turn into something absolutely horrific. Police managed to catch up to Sabina and Ursula on the side of the motorway. The footage captured shows them being spoken to as everyone tries to figure out the exact situation. Then, in that moment, things take a turn for the worse. For no apparent reason whatsoever, Ursula makes a mad dash from the side of the road into the heavy on coming traffic.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: The officer speaking with her tries to grab her but is unable to stop her, and she strides out into the lanes and she is hit and run over by a large cargo truck, one that, by my estimation is approximately twenty to twenty five feet long, that is traveling approximately fifty miles an hour or eighty kilometers an hour.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, So she like she's done.
Speaker 1: I'm assuming the truck hits her, runs her over, and crushes her legs. Police are horrified, man, and they begin calling for an ambulance on their radios before the truck has even come to a complete stop.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, what the actual hell is happening here?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Now, the worst thing is if you actually go back and watch this footage because it is on YouTube, Oh my gosh. Really, the thing is, though, there's like the footage doesn't actually show how much graphicness because there's a few police in front of the camera. So you see her dart out, but you don't actually see her get hit. But you can see a bit of her laying under the truck at one point. But so you if you watch his footage, you can see her face. She runs out into traffic. She's looking at oncoming traffic as she runs into it. She knowingly fucking runs into this truck.
Speaker 2: Oh geez. Okay, so okay, I'll just say you continue.
Speaker 1: Well, within all of this chaos, her sister Sabina followed her sister's lead and ran into oncoming traffic as well. Police were just I mean, they were just moments earlier talking about how Sabina had already got knocked down by a red car that was parked on the side of the road. Don't think it was too serious, but she had already got knocked down by a red car and now she is facing the full force of another car that she and she was hit head on by a Volkswagen Polo, smashing the windshield and caving in the roof.
Speaker 2: What the shit? Yeah, okay, I mean, I know, like police officers and stuff, they see a lot, but like this would just be mind blowing. There would be there would be just no, I don't know, no expectation of this happening in your day, No, not at all.
Speaker 1: And this came out of nowhere because like they're not restraining these two girls in the cuddy. Yeah, they're sitting here talking to them, trying to figure out what happened, and then just in the blink of an eye, it just happens and they run out, both of them, looking at oncoming traffic too.
Speaker 2: I feel like something has to be happening within their family or or something for this this to be. I don't know. It's very confusing.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's very confusing. I'll tell you that. Now. Both women were unconscious when paramedics arrived at the scene. Ursula woke up first, her legs both badly crushed in the truck that she had literally been run over by. She repeatedly began biting, scratching, and fending off paramedics as she resisted treatment.
Speaker 2: Holy shit, she's lucky to be alive.
Speaker 1: She is. She didn't seem to care about her injuries, though in fact, she almost didn't even seemed to notice that she was injured at all, and it was reported that she seemed to feel no pain whatsoever, but she was in critical condition. Meanwhile, her sister, Sabina, regained consciousness as well and began resisting paramedics too. She reportedly screamed to her sister, they want to sorry, they will steal your organs, though I could not find that in the video footage I scene. It does seem to be edited a bit, but it is reported that this is something that she screamed to her sister. They will steal your organs. Okay, if that hasn't been bizarre enough. Sabina after being hit by a car at high speed and lost consciousness for approximately fifteen minutes. She got to her feet. Yeah, so she got wrapped by Yeah, she got to her feet, began fighting paramedics and officers and I mean literally throwing punches before trying to run. Initially, she did get away, and she jumped over the barricade into the other side of the motorway, back into traffic, but police managed to get everything, you know, safe, so there's no oncoming traffic. They stopped traffic, okay, and they quickly followed her and tried to restrain her. However, it took six officers to finally restrain her, and she had to be sedated and tranquilized to finally get under control.
Speaker 2: WHOA Okay, before you say anything, I just got yes, I just got one more thing to add to it before we kind of discuss that.
Speaker 1: Officers remarked, the ones who were like restraining her, they re marked on her incredible strength and that she showed especially for someone who had just been hit by a car I mean technically not once, but twice, and many of them agreed that she must have had a drug or something in her system because it was unnatural and the only time they found the strength and someone before was when they were fucking high.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's what I was literally going to say, Like they are there's either something that is like some family issue maybe that they're running from or something, or they are on like some serious drugs that is just making them make some interesting decisions. Let's say.
Speaker 1: Well, and there was a lot of theories regarding much of that, and we can talk about it a little bit at the end because there's some more information I want to input into that before we really dive into it. But yeah, there's no one who can really say definitively one way or another. Let's just put it that way for now. So the two sisters were taken to hospital for evaluation after this incident, and remarkably, despite everything they had been through, Sabina, the one who was initially hit and woke up after fifteen minutes, came out with only minor injuries.
Speaker 2: Like, is that the one that had her legs run over? Sorry?
Speaker 1: No, no, okay, Ursula okay, okay, Ursula is in critical condition. Okay, being is the one who got up and fought and she was unconscious of right, but.
Speaker 2: She she like damaged someone's windshield and shit, like.
Speaker 1: The windshield was shattered though, like when like vehicle windows, they have a film that keeps them like in place, so they don't like break into a million pieces usually. So yeah, it was like completely caved in and even part of the roof was carved in on this vehicle.
Speaker 2: So that, yeah, that is a heavy hit.
Speaker 1: Yes, so she would like the vehicle is probably going I'm assuming maybe sixty kilometers now or something like that. That's my estimate because the truck was going about eighty kilometers an hour hit someone and then so this vehicle would have been slowing down when her sister got hit, but it were very quick succession, so maybe let's degrade it by twenty kilometers, say sixty kilometers an hour. She got hit, okay at my estimation. Yeah, yeah, so Sabina, yeah, only had minor injuries and she was quickly released into police custody from medical care. Now, once in police care, Sabina's behavior took an even stranger turn. You'd expect someone to be shaken up after being hit by a vehicle and with witnessing her sister get hit and her legs crushed from under the truck, but Sabina seems eerily calm. She seemed very composed, and none of what had happened seemed to have phased her. In fact, she even showed no sign of concern for her sister whatsoever. And even like if you look back on that motorway when I said that, she looked at traffic when she ran out as well, she didn't follow her sister into traffic to help her. She followed suit and what her sister was doing. And even when she was hit, when she woke up, she may have shouted to her sister, tried to communicate with her, but she had no concern of her sister being injured, not whatsoever. Okay, wow, Yeah, So, after spending the weekend in police custody, Sabina appeared in court and pleaded guilty to highway trespassing and assaulting a police officer. Her sentence was just one day in jail, which she had already served, so she was released immediately. Authorities deemed her to pose no risk to the public and so she was just right back out there.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that's the right decision.
Speaker 1: Well, I agree, because there was one glaring issue. At no point during her time in custody or at the hospital, Sabina did not undergo any sort of psychiatric evaluation, and despite this oversight, she was sent right back out into the world Oh dang so. Once released, Sabina began wandering the streets, reportedly trying to find out which hospital her sister had been admitted to. She carried a clear plastic bag still from the police station, which contained all her belongings at the time, and she kind of looked somewhat out of place roaming aimlessly, and it wasn't long before two local men noticed her. Glenn Hallings had a fifty eight or sorry fifty four year old welder and his friend Peter molloy. They spotted Sabina and approached her to see if she needed help and if she was okay. Sabina greeted them warmly, even crouched down to pat Glenn's dog as they were out for a walk with his dog, and she seemed friendly. She was approachable. However, Peter did later recall feeling a little bit uneasy. While was talkative and polite, she also appeared a bit jittery and nervous, which put him on edge and made him a bit nervous Okay.
Speaker 2: At first, I was like, oh, please, let these two men be good now.
Speaker 1: During their conversation, Sabina asked if they knew any nearby hotels or maybe some bed and breakfasts where she could find a place to stay for a night. Glenn, believing Sabina to be harmless and just down on her luck, maybe not having the money at the moment, or whatever it was, he decided he was going to lend a hand. He offered her a place to stay at his home on Duke Street.
Speaker 2: Wow, okay, it wasn't.
Speaker 1: Too far away, and he's thinking, you know, it was a nice thing and the right thing to do for someone. Sabina was grateful for Glenn's offer and quickly accepted his hospitality. Once at his home, she began to relax a little and explained she was looking for her sister in a hospital. However, her story was a bit vague. She didn't really provide much information or even clarity. I guess you could say on why her sister was in the hospital in the first place, but I mean, it's not there. Their placed to dig too much information, so Glenn didn't really ask. Inside Glenn's house, he offered her a drink and assured her that in the morning he'd helped her track down her sister.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Peter, who had joined them for the evening, later recalled that Sabina seemed calm that many moments. Her nervousness, though, did keep resurfacing. She frequently was looking out the window, almost like she was waiting for something or expecting something, leaving Peter to suspect she might have been fleeing an abusive relationship.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: As the evening went on, Sabina's behavior became increasingly strange. At one point, she offered both men cigarettes, only to snatch them back right out of their mouth, muttering they might be poisoned.
Speaker 2: Oh shit. Okay.
Speaker 1: Despite the odd tension in the air, Peter decided to head home just before the midnight, leaving Glenn and Sabina alone for the night, and from what he could gather, the two went to bed shortly afterwards, and everything seemed fine, though little odd.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, a little odd. I mean, what a nice person. There is just no way that I would be like offering this stranger a place to stay in my home. I would more so like, I think, pay for them to stay in like a hotel. Room or something. You know.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, now, Glenn clearly has a fucking heart of goal. In all honesty, he takes her in. He's going to help her find her sister.
Speaker 2: And like wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Even the following day, Glenn spent the morning on the phone with his brother trying to locate the hospital where her sister Ursula might be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people like that are rare, they are.
Speaker 1: He even called around a few local hospitals in the hope of finding her, and everything seemed uneventful until later in the evening, at around seven forty pm. And that's when Glenn was in the middle of preparing dinner for the two of them. He realized he was out of tea bags, and being the friendly type, he stepped outside to ask his neighbor for some help. They had some tea bags. The neighbor happily handed him a few tea bags and watched as Glenn went back and returned to his home. It was less than a minute later that that peaceful evening turned into chaos. Glenn stumbled back out of his house, this time bloodied and gravely injured, shouting quote, she stabbed me.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, okay.
Speaker 1: And then he collapsed on the ground. His neighbor, who just gave him some tea bags, was horrified and immediately ran to the phone and called police. As Glenn lay motionless.
Speaker 2: Oh please tell me he's okay.
Speaker 1: As this was all happening, Sabina bolted from the house and fled the scene. Surveillance cameras caught her sprinting down the street clutching a bloodied hammer in her hand. The footage showed her periodically stopping to hit herself in the head with a hammer as she ran as well.
Speaker 2: What the shit?
Speaker 1: A passing driver witnessed this bizarre sight of a woman running down the road hitting herself in his head with a blunt object and tool, and then stopped. He managed to actually wrestle the hammer away from her to try and help her, but Sabina wasn't done. She pulled a broken roof tile from her pocket and struck the man on the head with it, stunning him just enough to make her escape. Paramedics and police arrived quickly and began searching for her. Sabina determined not to be caught easily. Like not to be caught easily. Sorry, I paused the wrong moment there. Determined not to be caught easily took off once again, prompting a frantic chase through the area. Sabina made her way to a bridge, and at this intersection she made a decision. The police were chasing her, and she looked over the edge. She climbed up on the railing and jumped off. Below her was a forty foot free fall to a highway below.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: When she hit the pavement, she shattered her ankles upon first impact, and also as a repercussion, she fractured her skull. Quickly rushed her to hospital. Tragically, Glenn Halling's head did not survive his injuries.
Speaker 3: Oh seriously, hey, the wounds inflicted during the attack caused severe blood loss, and when he collapsed outside his home, he succumbed on the spot.
Speaker 2: So you have an actual, like I don't know, just like angel, human being and they they just die like that.
Speaker 1: Yep, she killed them.
Speaker 2: Holy shit. So she's like now a murderer then, yes she is? Yeah, and like her jumping from forty feet like she's still fucking alive currently. Yeah, this is just I don't know, this is just this is bizarre. I don't even know what to say. It's I'm just sitting here on the edge of my seat literally, yeap.
Speaker 1: And remember this is at least a day later when she's released from hospital.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, so spent one night there and she was about to spend another before she killed Glenn or whatever.
Speaker 1: Well, she did spend another night at Glen's, and she was about to spend another, spent one in jail, went to court found she already served her time of one night was the least spent another at Glen's hour in the evening where she would be spending a potential.
Speaker 2: Third Okay, I see, So if.
Speaker 1: There's any drugs in her system, it ain't there now.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, unless who knows, so unless she has them somewhere and she's like repeatedly taking.
Speaker 1: Something potentially I did say earlier that they were clutching their purses and bags quite.
Speaker 2: Closely, right you did.
Speaker 1: Now. On June six, two thousand and eight, Sabina was officially arrested while still recovering in hospital. She did survive.
Speaker 2: How there's shit did she survive? I know that is unfathomable to me, and what fathomable? There you go, But someone would jump from forty feet like I was thinking, maybe if it was water, maybe, but like a fucking.
Speaker 1: Like concrete, concrete, the.
Speaker 2: Actual shit or she made what is she made of? Like she doesn't seem human.
Speaker 1: I know. Two months later, on September eleventh, two thousand and eight, she was discharged in a wheelchair and immediately taken into police custody to face charges of the murder that she had committed.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, Ursula, who had been recovering in the hospital as well, was released around the same time. She returned to Sweden and later resumed her life in the United States. Sabina, her trial faced significant delays. You look confused.
Speaker 2: I'm like confused by these fucking names a little bit. Sabina story is the one that had like the family in Ireland and shit.
Speaker 1: Right correct? Okay, So Ursula did nothing more than run into traffic, hit by a.
Speaker 2: Truck and she she okay, but she choster like followed her afterwards though, right correct?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, So Ursula was the one who got hit by the truck, run over and her legs crushed. Yeah, Sabina was the one who got hit by a car and just got up, started fighting fucking pa and murdered someone.
Speaker 2: Okay, So she is sorry going back to the United States now, uh yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah now. Sabina's trial faced significant delays. Initially, it was scheduled for February of two thousand and nine, it was postponed until September of that year due to difficulties obtaining her medical records from the Swedish doctors, who cited privacy laws. However, they did get the information they needed, and when the trial did finally begin, Sabina maintained an unsettling silence in court. She refused to explain or justify her actions whatsoever, nor did she respond to any questions during police interrogations or cross examination. Adding to the oddities, toxicology reports revealed that neither Sabina nor Ursula had any drugs or substances in their system at the time. They were clean huh okay. Surprisingly, the court never presented the footage of the sisters running into oncoming tra in the court, an event that could have provided valuable context for Sabina's mental state, which, as I mentioned, that footage is very well, very well documented because they had a camera crew, a literal camera crew, following them. It's not like we're talking about CCTV footage, not bodycam footage. You have a camera crew on site filming this fucking happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now. During the trial, her defense argued that Sabina was experiencing a rare and severe mental health episode at the time of the attack because she is in court for this murder. Remember, They claimed she was a secondary victim of fully a do, which is shared psychosis. So fully ado is a rare condition that occurs when two closely connected individuals, like twins for example, shared delusional beliefs or behaviors. Basically, they feed off each other almost in a delusion state. The defense contended that Ursula was the primary sufferer of this disorder and that Sabina was influenced by her sister's presence or perceived presence and developed similar psychosis. So when Ursula came to visit, huh, she was in a psychosis sort of state. And then Sabina then almost like a sympathetic in a way or like what's that when you can feel someone's emotions or something like the path, Yeah, like an mpath She sort of like almost absorbed that same sort of psychosis because of their close bond, and then she was also induced into the same sort of thing.
Speaker 2: I've never heard of that before.
Speaker 1: It's a legit thing, huh.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: They further suggested that Sabina had been experiencing auditory hallucinations at the time of the murder. The judge accepted the defense's argument, determining that Sabina's culpability was diminishing actually due to her fragile state. Her fragile mental state. On September TEWOD two thousand and nine, Sabina pleaded guilty to manslaughter with diminishing responsibility. So, manslaughter with diminishing sorry, diminished responsibility is a legal concept in jurisdictions like England that reduces a murder charge when the defendant can demonstrate that their mental state was impaired and basically it impaired their ability to understand or control their actions, Okay, basically saying that like I was fucking hallucinating, like I was.
Speaker 2: So free that it wasn't in my right mind kind of basically.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it goes now from murder to manslaughter. Yeah, So she was sentenced to five years in prison. That's it, Hey, five years in prison.
Speaker 2: For like murdering the kindest of souls.
Speaker 1: I know. Now she did become eligible for parole after serving just four hundred and thirty nine days.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, yeah, thanks.
Speaker 1: To Time Serve. During the investigation, details about her release and current whereabouts remained private, but it's believed that Sabina was freed in twenty and eleven.
Speaker 2: Holy shit, Yeah is that it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Pretty much?
Speaker 2: What the actual hell?
Speaker 1: That's it?
Speaker 2: It doesn't make any sense this case.
Speaker 1: I have one more little paragraph I want to read here, and that's it.
Speaker 2: What the shit.
Speaker 1: So, the devastating loss of Glenn Hollingshead, a kind man who extended a hand to someone he thought was in need, which definitely was someone in need, left a lasting void for his family and friends. Sabina's sentence, while reflective of her mental health struggles, likely brought little solace to those mourning his death. I can only hope that upon regaining clarity and mind and freedom, she found a way to reckon with any sort of consequences of her actions, and that she went and paid respects to the life that she tragically took during her psychosis state. So I hope that when she was really least, the first thing she did was pay her respects, because Glenn deserved that she owed that least.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but this is like, this is why people like I was just like, wow, people don't do that, like help people in that way. And this is why.
Speaker 1: This is why. Yeah, because it's it's a risk. You can put yourself or your family or others in danger. Yeah, not only is it for argument's sake, say that Sabina didn't hurt him. Okay, he offered her help. It was a great interaction, and she left say that she got out of this psychosis state and was living fine. What if a year down the road she doesn't, or what if a year down the road she goes back into this psychosis state and then all of a sudden, this fucking location pops into her mind and she fucking like I gotta get there. Then she goes and hurts him or.
Speaker 2: Something, or even like claim something happened, right that didn't actually happen.
Speaker 1: Exactly because it's psycho like she's having hallucinations, right, I mean auditory hallucinations, they claimed.
Speaker 2: But still, because I still often think of that case where like the neighbor just got like completely fucked. I don't know, I can't It was like a recent case where he was like charged with the killing of the girl and.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: And yeah, so people can like claim things too, right, and it's just like your their word against yours, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, that is the case the ericson twins. Now, the thing that I did want to talk about that I kind of brushed off a little earlier. I want to talk about at the end was the things of there being no drugs in their system. Was the fact that Sabina never said anything about there being troubles at home the husband. There's no troubles at home. Sure, arguments happen, Couples argue, we argue sometimes right, oh yeah, wow, you didn't have to be that enthusiastic. But yeah, people argue, there's nothing against that. And there was nothing found to say that there was anything wrong at home, there was anything about any sort of drug use, nothing, There was nothing found at all whatsoever. The only thing that we have is that they believe that there was this case of folio do.
Speaker 2: I don't know. That's kind of scary though, because now they're just like they're out there just living their life, you know, which I guess is great for them, but like, I don't know, it just seems so unstable that something could happen again, you know, like you almost wonder if they need help of sorts.
Speaker 1: Or I would imagine that there has been some help sought, at least on Sabina. I mean, Ursula didn't hurt anyone else, She hurt herself of course, So I would assume she's going to seek some help to maybe figure this out, whether it's medication or or learning or who knows what. I would assume she's going to search some because she's not going to want to fucking run into trafficking and crush her own legs and even put her sister at risk too.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm sure some of her injuries like have affected her life, going.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So I'm going to assume that that Ursula would have figured some stuff out about this. As far as Sabina, I'm going to assume that she was forced to learn some stuff about this while in custody. Yeah, because I mean, she took a fucking man's life. Yeah right, If it was found this is what caused her to take someone's life, I'm pretty sure that the judicial system would force her to, you know, figure this shit out, going to care, whether it's psychiatric, whether it's medical, whether it's medication. Who knows. Uh, Yeah, they would force her to otherwise it wouldn't release her back into public. Otherwise it would just be solely on her and she would be found guilty of murder. So I do think that Sabina, yeah, was forced to learn about it, and I would as Ursula would learn about it as well, at least through her sister as well.
Speaker 2: Well. You wonder too if she went back to her family, you know, if she's just like living with her family again, yeah, her husband and the kids.
Speaker 1: Right, I don't know, Like I said, there's there's not much known about when she was released.
Speaker 2: Of course, like they want would want to like stay under the radar after all this shit and try to like regain their life. I guess from this really odd forty eight I don't know, sixty hours or whatever it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, I don't really know how to digest this one. No shit, I don't blame these sisters whatsoever. Don't get me wrong. A fucking life was stolen here. You fucking killed someone. You didn't do it in your right mind. I get it. It's not like that case where there was a beheading on the bus member. We covered it like early on in this podcast. Yeah, and the guy wasn't taking his medication, that was his own fun. This was just a psychosis that seemed to come out of nowhere. Yeah, yes, you killed someone. If it happens again, she is one hundred percent responsible because she didn't care for herself enough to prevent it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I still kind of feel I don't know. I struggle with that a bit because I still feel like, uh, I'm struggling because I feel I almost feel like more time needed to maybe be served for that. But then, yeah, you're right, like there was no history or anything of knowing that something like this could happen. Noh, gosh, I don't know. This is this is a hard one.
Speaker 1: It is a hard one. But you have to look at it from this perspective on what she was convicted of. If she's convicted of murder, five years is not enough. She's convicted not of murder, though she's convicted of manslaughter. You have to remember that it's manslaughter, which means she didn't do it intentionally. It's no different than losing control of a vehicle and crashing and killing.
Speaker 2: Someone, right, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: So it wasn't under her control. She did do it, so it is five years sufficient for manslaughter. Technically speaking, I do believe it is. That doesn't mean she didn't take a life, and it doesn't mean she has a new responsibility to ensure that she looks after not doing it again.
Speaker 2: I mean she was she didn't actually really seem like she served that much time. But then, yeah, you can only hope that this something like this just never happens again. But yeah, even if it's different people or whatever, it seems like it is a heart like unpreventable. Really. Yeah, oh my gosh, I'm struggling with this one. Big.
Speaker 1: It's a tough one. Don't get me wrong. I because I understand the sympathy towards her, and I also understand the want for retribution and closure and fucking lock her up sort of attitude. I get it all.
Speaker 2: So it was Glenn, the one with the dog, Yes, Clinton, Oh my god, the dog. The dog just lost their person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're fucking angel of a person. Probably, so that was probably a angel of a dog too.
Speaker 2: Shit, Okay, I shouldn't have brought the dog up. Now, that is such a terrible way.
Speaker 1: To end this way to go kay. Well, on that note, thanks for being here. I'm curious in your response to this one if you have any thoughts on what you think should have happened as far as maybe a conviction or sentencing or maybe even going forward. How you know a judicial system should force someone to look after themselves in light of an incident like this happening. If you have some thoughts, some insight, some opinions, shoot us a message. We'd love to read it. We'd love to hear about it. If you want to check out more of our stuff, we have a description on this podcast filled with all of our links. We have our YouTube, our Facebook or Instagram or website, our merch. You can go ahead and purchase some merch. You can go ahead and give us a review. All of these things really help the show. We are an indie podcast, produced, hosted, researched by ourselves, so there is no big person puppeteering us with strings. It's us two, that's it.
Speaker 2: But we like to do that to ourselves, don't we.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we kind of puppeteer each other, I guess maybe, but yeah, thank you for being here. It means the world.
Speaker 2: And until next time, stay wicked,