Speaker 1: This podcast is intended for mature audiences. Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 2: You know, ever since I moved to Gilmer. I remember that I was pregnant when I moved to Gilmer with Raymond, and they always talked about Satan. Gilmer talked about Satan worshippers all the time. They were the weirdest. I mean, I always thought that was so weird. I'll never forget one time everybody was picking up their daughters and stuff from the Junior High because they was supposed to sacrifice the blonde virgin.
Speaker 1: This is Tammy Joe Smith. It was the mid eighties when Tammy moved to Gilmer, about seven years before the disappearance of Kelly Day Wilson, before the investigation into Satanic rituals, cannibalism and murder that shocked the small East Texas town. At the time, Tammy had no idea that Gilmer's fear of the devil would forever change her life and all but tear apart her family.
Speaker 2: The Satan worshipers were trying to grab a girl, you know, the blonde virgin, to sacrifice to the devil. And that was the first rumors I heard in Gilmer and I'm like, they got a freaking church on every corner in this camp town. Literally, I mean literally, there's fifty freaking I mean, I mean there's a church everywhere. But all I ever heard people talk about was Satan worshipers. I never met one Satan worshiper. The whole fifteen years, I never met one, And still this day, I don't know if I've ever met one. And the funny thing too, is my girlfriend lived out in the country and preach it. And she'd say, I hear channing, and I hear you know, and she goes, there's zacrifice. I'm like, it's probably the freaking ku Klux Klan because they're so prejudiced. They're meeting out in the middle of nowhere do the thing. I've always thought that. I always thought their Kuklux planning was the big Satanic thing they were talking about.
Speaker 1: Tammy was just seventeen when she settled in Gilmert and had her oldest son, Raymond. Not long after, Tammy met a man named Down.
Speaker 2: I was very into the church community, the Pentecostal church. I met Don at church. He was a good looking older man and I thought that he was coming over to my house actually to see my mom. Because he's older than I am, and so I never looked at him really as a boyfriend type, you know, until later, I mean like a month later. But he was a friendly I thought he was smart and good looking and funny and all the good things. Now he's not as funny as he used to be, but thinks he's funny.
Speaker 1: Now here's Don whoo Man with that picture of her.
Speaker 3: The sweeter you got to Tammy, the sweeter she was bad. My name is Don Holman. I've got two honorable discharges in an army, four years in Hell on wheels, two six month tours in Germany, and now I'm noted for being a bible hauling. I mean I'm a bible thumper.
Speaker 1: Don was in his mid thirties, divorced. Even when he was just getting to know Tammy, Don already started helping out with her son, Raymond, who was born with a cleft palate. The condition had left baby Raymond with an opening in his lip and roof of his mouth, requiring corrective surgeries.
Speaker 3: After a while, I noticed that Tammy had this little deformed baby. He got a buying ladder cleft palette, and this baby is squirt milk about his nose. There ain't nothing there the inside of his liop, The top part was on the outside, and I'd get in there and she'd be just white. I mean, she'd be wiped out of sleep. I couldn't stand to get her up and say go without her feed, So I fed him, change diaper, put him back.
Speaker 2: Raymond was a baby. Raymond was like three months old when I met one two three months old, and Raymond was born with a hairlip. Dawn was very good at taking me to all my doctor's appointments and making sure that, you know, like during surgeries and stuff. So it was very supportive of Raymond and took on the father role right away. Raymon's daddy never had anything to do with us.
Speaker 1: Dawn and Tammy fell in love.
Speaker 4: After a while.
Speaker 3: I got the respecting her and she respected me, And I don't know how everybody else feels.
Speaker 4: Just because there.
Speaker 3: Was an age different and we get along with each other does not mean that I'm out of line or she's out of line. She's a grown woman had a baby.
Speaker 4: I don't think you know I'm.
Speaker 3: Doing the wrong as long as I do her right. And after while we got to lacking each other. One day, I said, me and you. She said yep, nobody else yep. I said, okay, And after like four years she said done. If you die, I don't have nothing to remember. You buy She said, I'd like to have a baby with you. And I said, how about it if I just buy you a car. She'd always says, stop acting stupid. I said, I ain't acting, I said, and right off she got pregnant. I said, Timmy, I don't have the money to pay for a baby. She said done. Everybody else who people all over the world's having kids, having on the welfare. And we had a kid.
Speaker 1: When Raymond was five years old. Don and Tammy had their son.
Speaker 2: Luther, beautiful baby that loved his mom and daddy. It was really just a simple life. I mean, you know, he'd go to work every day. I was a stay at home mom, and we went to church three four times a week.
Speaker 1: Don had a bunch of different jobs at times. He'd even worked as a reserve police officer, so he actually knew James York Brown, the Gilmer police sergeant who eventually would be accused of kidnapping and murdering Kelly Wilson.
Speaker 3: I didn't like James Brown. He was the cop you probably know about him. He was all right, but I thought he was a bad guy. Well, he's always smart enough to me, and you think you're badass or something. He said, I'm a boxer. He said, you every want to stop the car, get after it? He said we I said, well, I know how to box and I use my feet too. He said, you're in the martial arts. I said, I can kick you enough. You can't get close to me, and I said why, I said, We're gonna look real funny on side row. Two cops fighting.
Speaker 4: But he would do.
Speaker 3: Some people take it that they don't know them easy going. I'm not as smart ass or anything. So he'd take me to his house and his wife fixed chicken, and he treated him as good as gold.
Speaker 1: Don and Sergeant James York Brown patched things up. Years before Kelly's disappearance, Don and Tammy, Raymond and Luther lived in government housing in Gilmer. Their neighbor was a young woman named Wanda Hicks. She had two sons, the Hicks Kids, from a guy named Bad Jimmy.
Speaker 2: From what I understood is that those kids and Wanda were put in the project apartment right there. They were being filtered from her egg because her ex was abusive. From what I understand, the kids had mental problems from all that craft. I don't know why they went and said hey, you know, because they're the ones that actually started the accusations against me, and from what I understand, that's how we got into this.
Speaker 1: The name Wanda might sound familiar, open my mouth.
Speaker 3: They have threatened to kill Wanda.
Speaker 2: I had to say, Mark some Wanda's throw and I asked Wanda what happened to her throw?
Speaker 5: And she wouldn't tell me. I don't know she was scared to tell Mayor Wan.
Speaker 1: That's from the interrogation of Connie Martin, a suspect turned witness in the criminal investigation against the family accused of kidnapping and murdering Kelly Wilson. At first. Tammy says she has no inkling about the abuse allegations leveled against Wanda and the curs She.
Speaker 2: Was real strict with her kids, and that's why I thought she was a good mother, you know. I mean, I was, like, never seen her whip on. Her kids are knitting, you know, but she kept her kids in line. You know, they were pretty decent. I know the oldest one acted out a lot and got sent home from school a lot, like stabbing kids with orks and shit like that. But other than that, I mean, I don't know anything else about her. I know that when she married. When I met her, she wouldn't Maccurr. Her name was Hicks. And then she started dating Wendell. And Don knew Wendell through. You know, gilm were small town, all them guys, they were all raised together.
Speaker 1: Later investigators would claim that Wendell was the ringleader of the Kerr satanic cult in Gilmer.
Speaker 3: We had went to school together. I never had sex with none of the none of the Curve women, and uh never cared too.
Speaker 2: You know, they don't hang out together, but they all know. We all know each other because it's such a small town. Don's oh, I know him. That's that's Wendell Kerr, you know. And sometimes Don would say, hey, you know whatever. And then she was like, I'm gonna get I'm going to marry Wendell, and I was like, oh.
Speaker 1: That's sweet.
Speaker 2: I helped her get ready for her wedding to him, and I went out to the curR house, the old man, old woman Curve the mam and daddy. I was at their house one time for the wedding and we were there, saw me an hour, an hour and a half.
Speaker 3: Maybe I went out to wedding one time. They was a preacher window wing his wife got married. That kind of I did, just went to wedding the first thing, you know, I'm a cannibal to eating people in the bag that had a witch and circle.
Speaker 2: That was the only time I've ever really actually hung out with the Curves, you know. I mean other than that, I don't know anything else about them. I've never been around them except for hey, at the bus stop or whatever, you know, with our kids. Them kids were good kids. I thought.
Speaker 1: You know, Timmy's son Raymond wasn't really friends with the Hicks kids for a reason.
Speaker 4: Yeah. They lived across the sidewalk from us up here at the government housing. One of them was older than me, and I think one of them was younger than me. We would play every now and again. We didn't always get along because at one point Don had bought their bicycle. But I remember I came home from school one day I've been wanting a bicycle, and I went to my room and I had two bicycles, and I remember like being really excited, like those are both mine, and they're like, yeah, you got two bikes. But when I would go outside, they bought it from the neighbor. So the neighbor kids, they still looked at it as that was their bikes. You know. We would argue over those bicycles. But I was like, I said, I was the only child I won't used to sharing, And I was like, hold up, I got two bikes, the brand new, and I gotta let them ride one of them, like, you know, so we really like argue and fight over those bikes.
Speaker 1: One day, the Hicks kids were gone. Wendell Kerr and Wanda Hicks had just gotten married in a ceremony outside the curR home on Cherokee Trace. Days later, child Protective Services removed the cur and Hicks kids from the home. The Curves have been described as quote marginal characters in Gilmer, so most people around town probably didn't even notice that some country folks lost their kids.
Speaker 3: Ley Tope Wendell's kids a way because he had been accused of lessening his kids.
Speaker 2: The first time they came to the door, me and Don were asleep and they were wanting us to go down to the police station top and we agreed and we went and that's when they just started asking questions about the curves, and basically it was just, you know, have you ever seen Wanda Kerr hit her kids? And have you ever seen any kind of abuse? And I was like, no, you know, yeah, she's just a young girl. It's got all these little babies, and you know, I thought she was a pretty decent mom.
Speaker 1: The two Hicks boys were placed with foster mom Barbara Bass and her husband Karls. If the name Barbara Bass sounds familiar, she was mentioned in episode three. The Basses were in their early forties and lived in a big country home a little more than half an hour from gilmert They would have been empty nesters if they hadn't filled the house with foster children. Barbara described herself as very down to earth, very basic and trying to help people.
Speaker 3: She had been the East Texas Foster Parents of the Year.
Speaker 2: I think the year before.
Speaker 1: That was Melvin Dodd, the founding member of the Justice for Kelly Wilson Committee. Back then, there was this amusement park in Shreveport, Louisiana, just across the state line from Texas. I remember the commercials when I was a kid and always wanted to go. Never got to. Raymond did though.
Speaker 4: Our church went out to an amusement park called Hamil Park, and while we were there, the Hicks kids were in Foster Hume and we saw it with their foster parents our church group, and they'd waved or something and they wouldn't let us talk to them. Like the foster parents that they were with were kind of like, hey, y'all need to keep those distance type thing. And I was a kid who were just kind of like waved at each other. When they asked one of those Hicks boys, like how do you know that kid? They were like he was our neighbor. And then they were like, well, did y'all's parents abuse him too? And one of them were like yeah, so one of them kids and lied to her or whatever falster parents they were with, saying that I had been molested with them, like all like in some big group or something like some kid orgy or something. I don't know, like that's how we got drawled into the.
Speaker 1: Whole myth Raymond never should have waved to those Hicks kids. What he describes as a typical childhood.
Speaker 4: It was school, church, family, school, church, family, like those my life for the first seven years.
Speaker 1: That life as he knew it was over from imperative entertainment. I'm Wes Ferguson. This is Deviltown. This is Chapter five. Raymond Raymond Smith is thirty six years old now. He's skinny, dark hair, dark eyes. After bouncing around some he recently moved back to Gilmour and lives with his stepdad, Don Holman. In the early nineties, during the Kerr and Kelly Wilson investigations, Raymond was said to be a smart and inquisitive little boy.
Speaker 4: I can remember my mom had set me down on a back porch one day up there, and she said something along the line like somebody wants to come speak with you or something like that. Whoever it is comes to talk to us, be honest with them, telling them the truth. And when I asked questions.
Speaker 2: In the very, very very beginning, they kept the cops kept saying. He said, Okay, if we let somebody talk to Raymond at school, I said, go go talk to him. They questioned Raymond five times. I mean, how many damn times were they gonna go questioning until he said something? I mean basically is what it was. You know, they weren't gonna quit going up there.
Speaker 4: Probably about like a week or so after that, I was playing in the front yard one day and sheriff's apartment pulled up.
Speaker 2: That's when I get a knock at the door and they're coming to take my kids away.
Speaker 4: They had a mixed stack of papers they told my mom. They were like, uh, we're here to take the kids. I wasn't frightened at the time because none was a patrolman, you know, like so I wasn't scared of pouense.
Speaker 1: Don happened to be out of town that day. Raymond's little brother, Luther, only two years old, was absolutely terrified.
Speaker 2: I will never forget them taken him from us and him screaming at the top as once, I.
Speaker 4: Want my daddy, I want my daddy. They told us, they said, you know, uh, you can get something for you, you know, go grab you a toy. You can get your brother a toy. And uh, I grabbed a Bible that the church told give me. It was it was blue and silver, had my name Raymond Smith printed on it, like real nice professional like printed into it, and uh, I grabbed Luther's pillow and then they hauled us down to rain and it took us to a Falster family. That first family. They were real nice. We were out of our element, but it was a normal, you know situation. They bring me, h I think they did bring me for a visit with my mom and them, my mom and Don, and then usually it was to go see Ang goere. She was ahead of the case at time.
Speaker 1: We've talked about a Gore throughout the series. She was the first CPS worker to discover abuse in the Kerr family. Now a gore was protecting Raymond also.
Speaker 4: Then there was a day that they brought me up there and Gore was like, I want to introduce you to a friend of mine and she wants to ask you some questions. And then next thing I know, we're like going to get in the van. There ain't no seats in the van, and they're like, I want you to lay down. They had me laid down in the back and Barbara Vass was laid down there beside me.
Speaker 1: Yes, that Barbara Bass, the foster parent. She had come to the CPS office in her forge van to help angre coax some information out of Raymond.
Speaker 4: And she said, well, you know, you don't be scared. We're just gonna ask you some questions this and that, and A Gore was driving and Debbie Mianto was in the passenger seat. I believe we rode out of the CPS office and at that time what they were asking us about was all about being molested or touched or something along the lines of that, you know, And I tell them no. They say, well, did they touch he? I say no, I ain't never been touched or nothing like that, Like, you know, where's this? You know, like when you're a kid, you don't realize what the hell's going on. But that ended up turning into Barbara basketting behind me and wrapping her arms around me, and then she took her legs, hold my legs down, and she take her thumb and sticking in my rib cane chair and rub up and down on my ribs.
Speaker 1: Barbara Bass, who died in twenty seventeen, was using the holding technique, a controversial therapy of restraining kids like in a bear hug that was supposed to help them form a bond with their foster parents. But Barbara Bass had adapted the holding technique for her own purposes.
Speaker 5: Apparently there was some kind of radical theory about getting kits to disclose things they wouldn't normally disclose through this holding technique.
Speaker 1: This is former Assistant Attorney General Shane Phelps.
Speaker 5: Which in what I came to understand about this holding technique was that it was just torture.
Speaker 1: What is the holding technique?
Speaker 5: The theory behind it, I guess is that the children have to be I guess, forced to disclose. They hold them tightly, like I mean, it's a crime. Actually it's on. They're holding these children tightly and they will not let go of them until they disclose what they think this child has to disclose.
Speaker 4: I remember I was saying no, no, you know, and I'm squirming. I'm fighting with her, and then she would ask me questions repetitively, you know, did your parents do this? Did they touch you? Did they touch you?
Speaker 1: At some point, Raymond says, A Gore climbed into the back of the van with him and Barbara Bass and.
Speaker 4: Gore was in the back there and she was holding my legs down because I was fighting and swirming and everything. Barbara couldn't hold me down or whatnot. At that time, they had a big billboard sign right there where the subway is now here in Gimmer there was a big billboard sign and it said Kelly Wilson, you know, And I remember seeing that when we were leaving the CPS office. I was laid down in that van and I can see, you know, the Gary Queen sign. Now I've seen that Kelly Wilson sign. And the next thing I know, all I can see is tree. You know, we're on some old top Roadbacker.
Speaker 1: Barbara Bass and the caseworkers and Gore and Debbie Minshew had driven Raymond out of town into the woods.
Speaker 4: Well what the hell are these people doing? You know? And so they kept rubbing my ribs and asking me questions, you know, did did your mom? And Donald less few and uh I was, you know, no, no, no, no. Finally I said yes. And when I would tell her yes, she would stop rubbing my ribs, you know, and then like kind of pan for me, like oh, it's okay, you know, nobody's gonna hurt you no more. We're here now. And then and then she'd start right back again, you know, asking more stuff. And I remember feeling like I remember feeling like they were gonna kill me or something like because I didn't know what's going on, and so I said something like along the lines where I said Kelly Wilson's name, I've seen that sign.
Speaker 1: Okay, did you hear that right there? That was the first time Kelly Wilson, the missing teenager, was ever connected to the Kirk case. Raymond was confessing to anything and everything to stop the women from hurting him when he blurted out Kelly's name. Raymond would eventually tell Barbara Bass that he also took part in something much bigger.
Speaker 5: It was for more than an hour, just not letting this kid go with I guess steps struggling, and then they would take their knuckles and they would rub it painfully up and down his ribs until, according to them, disclosed this satanic coven and in the process, soiled himself. So I mean basically they, from my perspective, they tortured him, he soiled himself. And for them, again, this is part of that dynamic where they think, if something happens, it just the only thing that registers in their brain is, oh, this must have been such an important disclosure for this child that he actually soiled himself. So in their mind, that proved that it was true, and I mean that is from my perspective, perverted thinking. It is, you have your mindset on something, and all you are going to perceive are things that tangentially prove what you think is going on. It's a cognitive bias where you form an opinion and all you're going to perceive are things that inform and prove that opinion and ignore anything that doesn't.
Speaker 1: Raymond insists he didn't soil himself. He says, one of the women soiled herself and let Raymond take the blame.
Speaker 4: I don't know how much like time passed from that first time I met Marba Bath, but one day they told me, they said, you and your brother getting ready to go to a new home. I didn't know it, but I was going to Barbara Basson's home. She realized that I could spot landmarks and was familiar with the area. From that day forward, when they would drive me to Gilmour back and forth from their house, I was always blindfold got to their house and there was a bunch of kids at her house, a whole bunch.
Speaker 1: Of kids that would be the Kirk kids.
Speaker 4: I knew two of them from the school bus, and so that was kind of like a relief, like seeing somebody, you know, after being taken away from everything that you know, still not realizing that it was connected, that we were involved in the same thing. They set all us kids down there and they told us the house rules, no masturbating. I was seven years old. I didn't know what masturbation was, Like, what's what's masturbating? You know, And all the other kids are sitting there and they're looking at me and they're laughing. They're like, you know what it is.
Speaker 1: As Raymond settled into his new home, there were some nice things about living with Barbara.
Speaker 4: Bass, like this mixed emotion of like how even like how I still remember it, like because there's a part of my mind I remember it as like you know, like man, we had all them toys and lived in a real big home, and you know, like it's different when you come from a project, you know, going into an environment like that. You know, we had a pet tiger, Like yeah, at the Bass home they had a tiger tiger and it was a Bengal tiger and it was only like a year old, over six foot tall. When it would stand up on the tiny legs like spread out, So that was pretty cool. They feed the tiger frozen chickens, and about once a month they'd take a live chicken and they'd throw it in there with a tiger and it pounces around like like a regular high cat plays with something. You know. They'd play with that chicken. Then they'd kill it and it'd swim around pluck its feathers out. So we'd sit there and watch it eat and stuff. One day, Uh, we woke up and we all go downstairs to breakfast. We'd all have breakfast in the dining area, and we had chores to do and be on them, you know, on the refrigerator door. You know, this day, you feed the chickens, you do rabbit. They had animals, and so you know, well she had marked on that calendar holding day.
Speaker 1: Holding day was not a happy day.
Speaker 4: And I noticed, like all the other kids in the in the house like they got like, you know, sketchy and like depressed. One of the kids was telling me, he's like, oh man, this whole day and everybody's like in a real bad mood. There's like fifteen of us kids, and we'd all line up on the right side of the stairwell. And what she would do is she'd have us, run up the right side of the steps, all the way up the landings, all the way to the top floor, all the way up, all the way down, all the way up, all the way down. And I mean this this went on for like, you know, an hour, two hours. This was not like a run up there for like ten minutes. And we're done with this thing. This was an all day event. And I get tired. I kind of like sit down, and the kids are telling me. They're like no, like like you know, they were terrified because they've been through this. They're like, no, don't don't do that, like, don't make her mad. Like everybody's getting read in the face. Kids are starting to cry, and uh, she would she would stand there on the on the uh in the hallway, they're on the landing, and she'd like, ridicule us. You know, that's why your parents don't love you, and that's why your mom you and that's why your daddy don't love you. And and so she's just yelling all this vulgar shit the whole time we're running. And so kids at different point in time are starting to break down, crying. That's what she called it. Breakdown. The first floor you had the kitchen. Second floor was like a big living area with a bedroom. Then the third floor you had bedrooms, and then that fourth floor was like an attic. That was where me and two other boys stayed. So there was like two or three girls that shared a room on that third floor. Right at the top of that stairwell, that was their room. Well, that's where she would do the holdings.
Speaker 1: It sounds like Barbara was trying to get the kids tired so they wouldn't fight back when she deployed the holding technique.
Speaker 4: I still didn't realize what was going on that I'd already experienced the rib reven and all that. Well, what she knew is she pull them in there and she get them on. She put us on that bed, and you could hear you could hear the kids through the door screaming. She'd go one at a time. She just picked one all of a sudden. You know, she'd picked you out while you're running, all right, you come on, and then she take them in there and she rub the ribs and hold them down. You hear them screaming and hollering and fighting and everything, and uh, you know, you can hear her cussing and them cussing, and next thing, you know, they come out and they're just worn out, like you know, after that whole process, you're just tired. You're like like, you know, draining, emotionally draining and uh. And then they get to go outside, you know, and go mess with you know, out in the yard, go play games whatever. I was thinking they were just bad kids. I was like, you know, dang, what the heck is going on? Like, you know, they're in there cussing her and you know, fighting and screaming and yelling like, man, this is bad, Like you know, all we gotta do is mind or something like and uh. Then she took me in there and did the same things. Then she started asking more questions, you know, and I'm like, I don't know what to say. So I'm sitting there coming up with these lies. And I used to get in trouble for lying. You don't lie to your adults. So once I lie to her, I was really I was more afraid of her, you know, like, man, what is she going to do now? You know, she's already treating me like this, What's she going to do now? If I'm you know, try to tell her like, look, lady, I'm lying to you, like you know, And so eventually I ended up saying something about James.
Speaker 1: Brown, as in James York Brown, the Gilbert police sergeant leading the search for Kelly Wilson. Raymond knew several police officers through his stepdad down so when making false claims in a desperate attempt to end the holding and rib rubbing, it was only natural that he'd bring up Sergeant Brown.
Speaker 4: Already lied on my mom. I lied on Don Now I'm lied on James Brown. In my mind at seven, I was thinking, all right, like James Brown, he's like, you know, he's like a big time cop. You know, if I say his name, he's probably gonna like show up, you know, and he knows Don and know my mom, and I'll be able to go home and you know, like you know, then I can tell him like, hey, she's hurting me, Like no. But it didn't work out.
Speaker 1: Like that, No, it didn't.
Speaker 4: Barbara could be really really nice, you know some days, and then other times she'd just she'd be real brutal and just you know, your little mother, you know, just real trash talk. So I think all the kids were scared of her. But and they walked on pins and needles around her now. Her husband, Charlie Bass, was real quiet, easygoing. You'd never hear him cuss or say something rude to you. He never punished us. He would leave and then you know, he'd leave for days at a time and then come back, and he was never home when we'd have that holding process. He was always gone. That was something I noticed, Like I could always tell like because she would do it on a spur of a moment. She wouldn't be like, hey, tomorrow's holding day. You'd wake up and come downstairs and you'd see it posted on the refrigerator, you know, like today's holding day. Then it got to where when she'd ask me questions, it won't like she just asked a question and wait for an answer. She'd ask a question along the lines of, you know, uh, so, did y'all were y'all in a dungeon or something like that, and I'm going, no, you know, and then it's no, well tell me where the dungeon is? You know? No, did y'all dress up like devils? No? You know, she's rubbing your ribs the whole time you're screaming and hollering. So finally it got to where I realized, like what whatever she was asking me, I knew she wanted a yes answer to you, you know what I mean, Like I figured that out real quick, like all right, if I say yes, she quits rubbing my ribs. And then she's, oh, you're well, you a baby, you know, And she said, there, try to like coddle us. So it gave you like a mixed emotion of you know, the abuser is now the you know, everything's all right, you know, And that's what she was doing to us.
Speaker 1: From the moment Raymond had arrived at the baths house, he says his mentality changed. He retreated inward, went into survival mode.
Speaker 4: From that day forward, I was real guarded with all the adults. I mean any adults, didn't matter who they were. They take me to a church thing, anywhere we went. I avoided adults. All adults in my mind were out to get me. I was like, you can't trust any of these people, Like they're all gonna try to hurt us. They're lying, they're all like something's wrong with them. They're they're talking about killing people and eating them and devils and just like everything that I was scared of because like when you're seven, you go to church, you know, they're telling you, like, hey, you'd be good so you don't go to hell. The Kirk kids had told her so about a devil truck and being involved in these seances, and you know, they're burning stuff at night and killing babies and stuff. And so when one of them kids would say something to her like that, that was the new thing that was on my plate. When she was asking me questions, you know so, and then I'm just going along. I'm trying to keep up with these kids, you know, whatever they're saying. And the whole time I didn't realize that my mom and Don were in jail. One day, I was acting up, probably just doing like some regular kids stuff, and she punished me and she sat me down. She gave me a cheese sandwich, you know, like two pieces of bread, cheese in the middle and like a glass of water. All the other kids are eating, you know whatever. And when she put it down in front of me, she's like, yeah, well you can eat what your parents are eating in jail today, since you want to be acting up. That was the first time that I realized, like, all right, these things I'm saying and all this is like, you know, they're not at home, just ignore me. Like at that point, I thought like my mom and Donn had just like left us there and was like, you know, like gave up on us or something. Yeah, I didn't know like how serious everything was.
Speaker 1: In fact, Raymond's mom Tammy and stepdad Dawn were among the Gilmer residents indicted for kidnapping, raping, and murdering Kelly Wilson, along with the Kerr family and Sergeant Brown. They were in jail because of Raymond's coerce claims, plus the statements that Wanda Kerr and Connie Martin made to Special Prosecutor Scott Leeford and his investigators Steve Baggs and Brooks Flag. Remember those other foster parents who fled to West Texas trying to escape from the Curs, only to grievously injure one curboy and then commit suicide. Well, Barbara Bass was afraid the curs would come after her too, or she won the kids to think that.
Speaker 4: They always had us feeling like somebody was out to get us. Like I remember one time they were saying, yeah, they're gonna try and come kill y'all, you know, like you know, like Don and my mom had hired a bunch of people to come kill us or something like. And so I can remember all us kids sometimes at the house, it would be like, you know, like red alert or something like there was a stranger spotted down the road or something like. Neighbors would call like it was a network where we lived out there at that Bass home. You know, I'd ask them, like, you know, am I when do I get to go home? And you don't get to go home. You know, your parents soldier toys and you know they don't want you, like you.
Speaker 1: Know, Chasing leads on the Satanic cult and Gilmer. Members of the Lifer team took the children to sits where the ritual abuse and murder of Kelly Wilson were supposed to have occurred.
Speaker 4: And I can remember I remember being with the Hicks kids and the Kirk kids, and they had us all as a group and they wanted to know about some dungeon. Those kids kept saying that they were sexually abused in a dungeon.
Speaker 1: Here's Shane Phelps.
Speaker 5: And they got the wildest stories out of these kids that there was a dungeon. When they were taken.
Speaker 4: Well where the kids that took them. It is right down the road here headed out of Gilmburg towards Gladewater. There's a road that shoots back over it's like a little old top road. We all went as a group and they're going, well, do you all remember how to get there? And you know, the kids were kind of arguing with each other, No, it's over here in this part of the woods. And the one boy he was like, no, I don't know where they got it from, but they didn't know that location, you know, them kids lee It took bibbly like fifteen twenty minutes. And so the foster parents and them, there might have been some caseworkers, maybe even the law enforcement were there that day and we all went down and into the woods and walked through the woods and they were like yeah, and they had names for everything. They were like, this is the Devil's would you know? Everything was like devil cult, Like everything had a name or some kind of like title. And they were like, yeah, this is the dungeon. And what it actually was it was just a tornado shelter in the woods, like there might have been a house at one point there. Who knows that was the dungeon. I ain't never seen tornado shelter. I'm like, what the hell this is? Like, you know, I'm so curious about stuff, and you know, they were like, y'all want to come down here, and the kids were acting all scared, you know they were. And I remember just being like, Yeah, I want to go down and see what's in there, like you know, you go down the steps. It was just a little small tornado shelter. I remember they took me to the airport here in Gilbert one day where they had they picked up a shed and the Kirk kids had said that that their grandma had Kelly Wilson tied up in the shed and had tortured her and raped her and murdered her. Inside the shed, it was red with white trim on it. I went in there, literally went in there with the Texas Rangers and helped them gather pieces of hair and stuff. And then there were like little drawers and stuff with like screws and you know stuff you find somebody's shed, screwdrivers, things like that, and they were collecting hairs and putting it in big plastic bags. I remember being there that day with them and doing that whole thing, and then them asking me, like, you know, is this the shed that Kelly Wilson was in? And I can remember telling them, yes, you know, lying to them. I was scared of sticking to my story like that I lied about and yeah, yeah, yeah, you know, you know, I'd never seen that shed before my life. Come and find out the hairs that they had collected out of that shed and came from like dogs and you know, cows or something like, you know, it was like animal hairs or something. But I remember at the like when I was a kid, being like really scared, like like wow, I'm in the ship where somebody was killed and tortured, and like, you know, like they're pulling this hair out of you know, and I'm like, man, that's a dead person's hair, Like you know, like when you're seven, that kind of stuff's scary.
Speaker 1: Raymond had already been through so much, almost unbelievably for him, the worst was yet to come.
Speaker 4: Every every kid that I was in Foster Home with was on some kind of drug they had. Every kid was drugged out of their minds. You know. I was taking like six seven pills a day at eight years old, and wasn't nothing wrong with me. I remember one time They took me to a hospital. They made me get on a table, and when I walk in, I got Brooks Flags is there and Steven Baggs or something like that.
Speaker 1: Steve Bags and Brooks Flag were the special investigators.
Speaker 4: They wear a pistol, you know, cowboy hats, their badges and everything. And they had never done nothing and abusive to me. They were always kind of like, you know, my buddies. I'd ride around with them. They might ask me a question or two, and you know, I just go along with what I'd already told Barbara, and you know, they go get me hot dogs and ice cream cones or something. You know. They were just kind of like somebody cool to hang out with. But I remember they took me in this room and there's like three or four doctors there, and Barbara Bass is there, and Steve Bags and Brooks Flags were there, and they wanted me to strip down naked in front of all of them. Well, I got real nervous and scared because everything that Barbara Bass talked about was abusive and devils and death, and you know, there's a lot of heavy stuff for the kid, and so I was sitting there, I'm scared, and she had me get up on the table. They wanted me to, you know, I started crying and Brooks flags was like, are you scared somebody's gonna hurt you here? And I was like yeah, and he like, you want me to pulled out my pistol, like you know, like it may I'm not gonna let nobody heard shit here.
Speaker 1: Raymond describes how one of the doctors performed an invasive search for signs of molestation while the other adults watched. It's so upsetting we decided to cut it.
Speaker 4: And that alone, that right there messages you up. Like when you got somebody sitting there. They're wearing badgers. They're supposed to protect you and they're not. They're the ones that are doing it. You're raised up to believe in God lo then you go through something like that, they're the ones that are hurt us.
Speaker 1: Ultimately, Raymond would spend two years in foster care. He'd been taken from his mom and stepdad, Dawn, who were falsely accused of murdering Kelly Wilson based on Raymond's own coerced claims. Raymond had been through hell. He needed someone, anyone to save him, to bring him back to Gilmer where he belonged, and his parents Tammy and down. They needed rescuing too, That's next time on Deviltown. Deviltown is a production of Imperative Entertainment. It was written and created by me Wes Ferguson. Executive producer is Jason Hoak. Audio engineering and editing by Shane Freeman and Jason Hoak. Original score is by Robert Ellis, recording by Austin Sisler at east Side Studios. If you like the show, leave a review and don't forget to tell your friends thanks for listening.