Speaker 1: Imagine a world where every email you send, every video you stream, all the smart devices in your home, even your car, they're all speaking this hidden language. It's this invisible web of connections making our digital lives work. But what if you could actually understand that language, the nuts and bolts of it, and crucially see where the weak spots are.
Speaker 2: That's a really powerful idea, because in today's world everything's connected. Understanding how networks actually function it's not just for the tech geeks or the security pros anymore, like a critical way to see what's happening in our digital lives, whether you're building things, securing them, or just trying to use the Internet safely exactly.
Speaker 1: And that's really our mission today on the deep Dive. We're going to dig into a foundational guide. It's called Network Basics for Hackers, written by Occupy the Web. Their website, hackers Arise is described as a white hat hacker training site, So the focus is on using these skills for good ethically. Our goal here is to pull out the most important bits, those nuggets of knowledge, to give you a shortcut to really getting how networks operate their flaws and you understand not just what's happening. But why it's important.
Speaker 2: And what's interesting about this source is how it defines white hat hacker. It's not just about finding flaws for companies. It talks about being a beacon and warrior for information freedom and human rights on the Internet.
Speaker 1: That's a strong statement.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it even goes into detail about occupyth Web's documented activities in the Ukraine conflict, things like denial of service attacks against Russian government sites, finding oligarch yachts, hacking cameras for war crime evidence, even cyber attacks on Russian industrial systems, the schodaic stuff, and setting up a cybersecurity school in Kharkiev. Now, obviously we're just reporting this impartially as it's laid out in the source material.
Speaker 1: Right understood, Okay, so let's get into it. We're started with the absolute basics, the plumbing, like what is an IP address really, and we'll go all the way to well networks in cars, factories, even hacking radio signals. It's a deep dive into the hidden anatomy of our digital world. Let's start right at the beginning. IP addresses.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, IP addresses they are absolutely fundamental. Think of it simply as the house address for every single digital device, your laptop, your phone, your smart fridge. Without that unique address, data just wouldn't know where to go. Communication breaks down.
Speaker 1: So if it's a house number, how's it structured? Most of us are still on IPv four, right, that's the thirty two bit one.
Speaker 2: That's the one. It's broken into four groups of eight bits. We call those octets. So you see things like one, ninety two point one, sixty eight point one, one zero one each number in there. Each octet can be anything from zero up to two fifty five. Okay, Now, historically these were grouped into classes ABC based on the first few numbers. Helped organize things early on. But the real issue, the big problem today is we've basically run out of IPv four addresses. Yeah, there are only about four point three billion unique addresses possible with that thirty two bit structure, and we've got what over seven point five billion people plus way more devices than that. The math just doesn't work anymore.
Speaker 1: So how do we cope. That's where things like private ips come.
Speaker 2: In, exactly. That's one of the clever workarounds. They set aside specific ranges of IP addresses just for internal use inside your local area network your land. These are the private.
Speaker 1: Ips like one ninety two point one six eight dot something or ten dots are the common ones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one ninety two point one six eight dot x dot x, ten dot x dot is and also the one seventy two point one six dot x dot x range. Your home router probably signs these to all your devices, which.
Speaker 1: Brings up a good question. Then, if my phone is an internal private IP like one ninety two point one six eight point one point five, how does it talk to a website out on the public internet.
Speaker 2: Ah? Good question. That involves two key pieces of magic DHCP and net. First, DCP Dynamic Host Configuration protocol that's usually running on your router. It automatically hands out those private IP addresses to divice is joining your network. Often it's just a temporary lease, so your phone might get a slightly different private IP next time it connects.
Speaker 1: Got it and that.
Speaker 2: NAT is network address translation. Think of it as the translator or the receptionist for your entire network. It lets all those devices on your internal network, each with its own private IP. Yeah, share the single public IP address that your internet provider gives to your router.
Speaker 1: Ah. Good.
Speaker 2: So When your phone sends a request out, NAT swaps the private source IP for the router's public IP, keeps a record, and when the reply comes back, NAT knows exactly which internal device which private IP to send it back to, and.
Speaker 1: It all just happens automatically, feels seamless to.
Speaker 2: Me as the user, completely transparent. That's the beauty of it. Okay, so we have the house address the IP. What about the apartment number.
Speaker 1: That's whereports come in ports. Right, So the IP gets dated to the right computer, but the port tells it which specific program or service on that computer should receive it, exactly.
Speaker 2: Like web traffic usually goes to port eighty for standard HTTP or four to forty three for secure HTTPS. Email uses different ports, Games use different ports. It directs the traffic internally.
Speaker 1: And how many ports are there? I remember reading it's a lot.
Speaker 2: It is sixty five thousand, five hundred and thirty six possible ports for each IP address zero through six hundred and five to five thirty five. The first oneenty twenty four are often called the well known or common ports reserved for standard services, and from.
Speaker 1: A security angle, knowing which ports are open on a device is huge, right, that's what tools like map do absolutely critical.
Speaker 2: End MAP scans a target. IP probes these ports and tells you which ones are open, meaning a service is listening there. It's often the very first step in reconnaissance, for a security assessment or for an attacker. It maps out the potential entry points.
Speaker 1: Okay, so IP addresses for location ports for the specific service. What's the language they're actually speaking? That's TCPIP primarily.
Speaker 2: Yes, TCPIP is the dominant suite of protocols for Internet communication. TCP is Transmission Control protocol and IP is Internet protocol.
Speaker 1: And protocols are just agreed upon rules.
Speaker 2: For talking, pretty much like a language has grammar and vocabulary. For networks, these rules ensure devices understand each other. They're often defined in technical documents called RFC's Requests for Comments.
Speaker 1: So the IP part that handles the addressing and routing, making sure packets get from source AID to destination B correct.
Speaker 2: The ipheader within each data packet contains crucial info like the version is this IPv four or the newer IPv six and the source and destination IP addresses?
Speaker 1: Obviously, what about that TTL field I've heard about? Time to live?
Speaker 2: Ah? Yes, TTL. It's basically a counter that prevents packets from looping endlessly around the Internet. Each router that handles the packet decreases the TTL value. If it hits zero, the packet is discarded. Okay, but here's a neat trick. Different operating systems often start packets with different default TTL values, So just by looking at the TTL of incoming packets, you can sometimes make a pretty good I guess about the sender's OS, Windows, Linux, Mac OS. It's a passive fingerprinting technique.
Speaker 1: That's clever. Okay, So that's IP. What about the TCP part you said, Transmission Control Protocol Right.
Speaker 2: TCP sits on top of IP and adds reliability. It's header has fields like source port and destination port. Connecting back to our port discussion makes sense. But crucially, it adds sequence numbers and acknowledgment numbers. These ensure that all the packets arrive and that they get reassembled in the correct order at the destination. If the center doesn't get an acknowledgment ack back for a packet it's sent, it knows to resend it.
Speaker 1: So that's why TCP is called connection oriented and reliable because of that back and forth checking.
Speaker 2: Precisely, it establishes a formal connection before sending data and ensures everything gets there intact.
Speaker 1: And what are those TCP flags? Things like s yn ack fim ah.
Speaker 2: The flags. They're like little single bit signals within the TCP header that manage the state of the connection. S yn synchronized starts a connection, ack acknowledged, confirms seat of data, fin finish signals the end of the data transmission.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: There are others to like RST reset to abruptly kill a connection, or PSH push and urg urgent. Understanding these flags is key for analyzing traffic, and attackers can manipulate them for scanning like an s yn scan or even trying to bypass firewalls.
Speaker 1: And this all starts with the famous three way handshake.
Speaker 2: Every single TCP connection. Yes, it's fundamental.
Speaker 1: How does that work again?
Speaker 2: Simple client sends a s yn packet I want to connect. Server replies with a s y n ack. Okay, acknowledge your request, and I also want to sink. Client sends a final ack, got it connection established? Only then can the actual data start flowing. S yn s yn ack three steps, got.
Speaker 1: It s y n s y n ack ack.
Speaker 2: So TCP is reliable, but has that set up overhead? What's the alternative?
Speaker 1: UDP? UDP user data GRAM protocols the polar opposite in some ways. It's connectionless, meaning meaning it doesn't do the handshake. It just sends packets datagrams out toward the destination. No sequence numbers, no acknowledgements, no guarantee they'll arrive or in what order.
Speaker 2: So why use it?
Speaker 1: Sounds risky Because it's fast and efficient, low overhead. It's perfect for things where losing a tiny bit of data isn't the end of the world and speed matters more. Think streaming video or music ah.
Speaker 2: Right, a droped frame is barely noticeable exactly, or online gaming. Also, some really important network services use UDP, like DNS for looking up domain names, SNMP for network management, and NTP for time synchronization. They handle reliability at the application layer if needed.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense. Protocols covered. What about the physical layout how the devices are actually connected.
Speaker 2: Network topology right toology how the network is physically or logically arranged. There are a few classic types. The simplest is maybe the bus topology like.
Speaker 1: An old school ethernet cable everyone plugs into.
Speaker 2: Pretty much all devices share a single communication line. It's cheap and easy to set up, but prone to collisions if multiple devices talk at once, and if the main cable breaks, the whole segment goes down.
Speaker 1: Not ideal. What's more common now for.
Speaker 2: Local area networks definitely the start apology. Every device connects directly to a central point, usually a switch these days, historically a hub.
Speaker 1: That seems way better for resilience.
Speaker 2: It is, if one device is cable fails, it only affects that one device. The rest of the network keeps working. It's the standard for most office and home networks.
Speaker 1: Okay, any other's worth knowing.
Speaker 2: Well, there's the ring topology. Devices are connected in a circle. Data packets travel around the ring until they reach their destination. Simple, can be efficient, but like the bus, a single break in the ring can be catastrophic. Used in some older network types like token ring.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: And then there's mesh. In a full mesh, every device connects directly to every other device.
Speaker 1: Wow, that sounds complicated, but.
Speaker 2: Robust, extremely robust, lots of redundant paths. If one link fails, data can easily reroute the Internet itself at a high level functions like a massive mesh network, and interestingly, some modern peer to peer mobile apps like Brier can create ad hoc mesh networks using Bluetooth or Wi Fi by passing the need for central servers.
Speaker 1: Fascinating. Okay, so we have protocols topologies. How do we conceptibly tie all these layers together? That's the OSI model.
Speaker 2: Right, ah, the o SI model, the Open System's interconnection model. Yes, it's a conceptual framework, a way to understand how different networking tasks are divided into layers, each performing a specific function. Seven layers in total.
Speaker 1: Seven layers. Can you list them? And maybe that mnemonic I always forget.
Speaker 2: Sure from top closest to the user to bottom closest to the physical wire layer. Seven is applications, six is presentation, five a session, four is transport, three is network, two is data link, and one is physical. Okay, the mnemonics help going down? All people seem to need data processing going up? Please do not throw sausage pizza away, chezy, but they work.
Speaker 1: Huh. Okay, Please do not throw sausage pizzaway. Physical, data link, network, transport, session, presentation, application.
Speaker 2: Got it?
Speaker 1: But why is This model useful, especially from a.
Speaker 2: Security viewpoint, because different types of attacks target different layers. Understanding the model helps you categorize threats and defenses.
Speaker 1: You give examples sure.
Speaker 2: Layer seven application is where you see application specific exploits like SQL injection on a web app. Layer six presentation deals with data formatting and encryption. Phishing attacks often try to trick users at this interface.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Layer five session manages connection session hijacking attacks happen here. Layer four transport, where TCPUDP live is often targeted for reconnaissance like port scanning. Layer three network, where IP lives is vulnerable to things like men in the middle attacks or routing manipulation. Layer two data link MIIC addresses can see MP spoofing or ARP poisoning. And Layer one physical is where simple wiretapping or signal jamming occurs.
Speaker 1: So the model provides a map for understanding where things are can go wrong exactly.
Speaker 2: It's a foundational concept for network engineers and security pros.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is great foundational stuff. Let's shift gears a bit. We talked about running out of IPv four addresses. How do we use the ones we have more efficiently than involve.
Speaker 2: Subnetting, subnetting, yes, and cid R notation. The main reasons for subnetting are one to conserve that limited IPv four space, two to create network segments with a more realistic number of hosts instead of huge flat networks, and three to improve performance and security by dividing large networks into smaller, manageable broadcast domains.
Speaker 1: So a subnet is like a network within a network.
Speaker 2: That's a perfect way to put it. You take a larger block of IP addresses assigned to you and break it down into smaller logical networks.
Speaker 1: How does that work technically with the subnet mask?
Speaker 2: Right? The subnet mask is another thirty two BET number that looks like an IP address, like two five five point two five to five point zero. It's used mathematically, usually with a binary A and D operation to separate the network portion of an IP address from the host portion. Tells devices which part identifies the street network and which part identifies the house number host on that street.
Speaker 1: Okay, and CIDR, that slash notation like twenty.
Speaker 2: Four CIR class list inter domain roading is basically shorthand for the subnet mask. Instead of writing out the full mask, you just put a slash followed by the number of bits used for the network portion.
Speaker 1: So one nineteen point one six eight point one point zero two four means the first twenty four bits are the network.
Speaker 2: Part exactly, which corresponds to a subnetmask of two hundred five five point two FI five five point two five five point zero eight would be two hundred finty five point zero point zero and song.
Speaker 1: And you can use this to carve up networks.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. You could take a standard Class C range like that twenty four, giving you about two hundred and fifty four usable host addresses, and decide you need, say six smaller departments, each needing maybe twenty five hosts. By borrowing a few bits from the host portion for the network portion, making it say a twenty seven, you can create multiple smaller subnets from that original block. It's efficient and helps organize and secure the network.
Speaker 1: Makes sense. Okay, Now, how do we actually see what's happening on our network? What tools are there besides just theory?
Speaker 2: Good question. There are essential command line tools built into most operating systems. If CANFIG or IP addra on modern Linux shows your network interface configuration, IP address, MAC address, etc. Right Ping two, Ping, is fundamental. Sends a simple ECO request to see if a host is online and how long it takes to respond. Basic connectivity testing.
Speaker 1: What about seeing active connections for that?
Speaker 2: Netstat is classic? It shows all the network connections to and from your machine, TCPUDP, listening, poards, established connections, really useful for troubleshooting or even spotting suspicious activity like malware calling home.
Speaker 1: Is there a newer version?
Speaker 2: Yeah? On Linux, USS socket statistics is generally preferred now, often faster and provides more detailed information than netstat.
Speaker 1: Okay, those are good for looking at my own machines connections. But yeah, what about seeing all the traffic flowing across the network segment?
Speaker 2: That's sniffing, right, that's network sniffing or packet analysis using tools called sniffers or packet analyzers. These are incredibly powerful. Network engineers use them constantly to diagnose problems, forensic investigators use them to capture digital evidences, and hackers use them for reconnaissance, finding vulnerabilities, capturing sensitive data if it's unencrypted, like passwords, session cookies, emails files.
Speaker 1: Is this legal? I remember hearing that FBI tool. Ah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the source mentions the FBI's Carnivore system, which was controversial. Sniffing traffic on a network you don't own or have permission to monitor is generally illegal in most places, but for legitimate network administration and security testing on your own networks, it's an indispensable tool.
Speaker 1: What do you need to make it work?
Speaker 2: Two main things. First, your computer's network interface card and I SEE needs to be put into promiscuous mode. Normally, and I SEE ignores packets not addressed to its specific and MESSI doaters. Promiscuous mode tells it to grab every packet it sees on the wire or Wi Fi channel.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Second, you need the sniffing software itself, and captured traffic is usually saved in a standard file format called dot p cap packet capture, which many different tools can read.
Speaker 1: Let's talk tools. The source mentions TCP dump.
Speaker 2: TCP dump the classic. It's a command line sniffer that's been around since the late eighties, available on Linux and Unix like systems. It's powerful and flexible, though the output can be a bit raw.
Speaker 1: How do you use it?
Speaker 2: You can just run TCP dump and it starts showing packet summary, scrolling by more usefully you use flags SS specifies the interface to listen on like F zero or one and zero. AW writs the raw packets to a dot pcap file for later analysis.
Speaker 1: What about filtering? Can it narrow down the traffic?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? That's its strength. You can filter by source or destination, IP address, SRC host or DCS host. You can filter by port port eighty for web traffic. You can filter by protocol TCP, UDP, ICP. You can even filter based on TCP flags, TCPDCP flags and tcps in equals zero to C only syn.
Speaker 1: Packets wow specific very You.
Speaker 2: Can combine filters with and or not. The source even shows examples of filtering for things like clear text passwords, password or specific user agent strings from web browsers or session cookies. It requires understanding the protocols, but it lets you zero in on exactly what you need.
Speaker 1: Powerful, but maybe not super user friendly for visualizing things. What's the go to graphical tool?
Speaker 2: That would be wire shark. The source calls it the de facto standard, and that's accurate. It's graphical, runs on Windows, Mac, Os, Linux, and it makes analyzing packet captures much easier.
Speaker 1: How does it display the data?
Speaker 2: It has three main pains. The top PAIN is the packet list, showing a summary of each captured packet. Click one there, and the middle pain packet details shows a decoded breakdown of all the protocol layers and fields within that packet Ethernet, IP, TCP, application data. The bottom pain packet bytes shows the raw hexadecimal and ask data.
Speaker 1: And filtering in wire Shark.
Speaker 2: Also very powerful. You can type display filters directly like IP dot adr equals one ninety two point one sixty eight point one point one, or TCP dot port equals eighty or HTTP contains Facebook. There's also an expression builder to help create complex filters.
Speaker 1: What about seeing a whole conversation like a web request in its response.
Speaker 2: Wireshark makes that super easy with the follow TCP stream or udpr SSLTLS stream feature. Write click a packet in a conversation, choose follow, and it opens a new window showing just the data exchange between those two end points, reassembled in order. Fantastic for reading HTTP requests, emails, chat messages if they're unencrypted.
Speaker 1: Okay, wire Shark sounds essential for digging into dot pcat files. Now we know how to see traffic, how do we control it. How do we block unwanted traffic? Firewalls?
Speaker 2: Firewalls, Yeah, your digital gatekeepers absolutely crucial. They can be software running on a single computer, a host based firewall protecting just that machine, or a dedicated hardware appliance protecting an entire network perimeter.
Speaker 1: The source focuses on Linux firewalls, specifically iptables right.
Speaker 2: Tiptables is the classic built in command line firewall utility for Linux kernels. Though NF tables is newer, iptables is still widely used and understood. It's incredibly flexible, but can be complex.
Speaker 1: How does it work conceptually? Tables chains.
Speaker 2: It uses a system of tables, chains, and rules. Tables group rules based on their general purpose. The main one is the filter table for packet filtering. Others include NAT for network address translation, mangle for modifying packets, and raw okay, and chains. Chains are lists of rules within a table that packets traverse. The key chains in the filter table are input for packets destined for the firewall host itself, output for packets originating from the firewall host, and forward for packets just passing through the firewall like in a router.
Speaker 1: So packets flow through these chains and rules are applied exactly.
Speaker 2: Each rule has matches conditions the packet must meet, like source, ipe, destination, port protocol, and a target. What to do if the packet matches like accept it, drop it silently, reject it with an error, or log it.
Speaker 1: Can you set default actions?
Speaker 2: Yes, each chain has a default policy. You could set the EMPPUT policy to accept allow everything by default, then add specific drop rules, or more securely, set it to drop block everything by default, then adds specific accept rules for needed traffic.
Speaker 1: And the order of rules is important.
Speaker 2: Critically important. Iptables processes rules in a chain sequentially from top to bottom. The first rule that matches a packet determines its fate. So if you want to allow traffic from a specific IP but block all others, the allow rule must come before the general block rule.
Speaker 1: So you can use it to block specific ips or whole networks using CIDR, or block access to certain ports.
Speaker 2: All of that block incoming SSH from anywhere except your trusted IP, block outgoing connections to non malicious domains, allow incoming web traffic only to port eighty and four forty three. Very granular control.
Speaker 1: Okay, that covers wired network defenses. What about the wild West of wireless Wi Fi.
Speaker 2: Ah Wi Fi eight POH two point one one standard. It's everywhere convenient, but yeah, historically riddled with security issues. We've come a long way from the original WEP encryption, which was broken years ago.
Speaker 1: WP is basically useless now right completely.
Speaker 2: Then came WPA which was better but still flawed. Then WPA two using AES encryption became the standard for a long time, pretty strong but not perfect, and now we have WPA three, which aims to fix some of WP two's weaknesses.
Speaker 1: Let's cover some Wi Fi basics. AP, SSID PSK right.
Speaker 2: AP is the access point your wireless router. SSID is the service set identifier that's the network name you see and connect to. PSK is the pre shared key, the password you type in for WPA two WPA.
Speaker 1: Three Personal mode BSSID.
Speaker 2: BSID is basically the m address of the access points wireless interface uniquely identifies the AP and.
Speaker 1: For hacking Wi Fi, you often need special gear.
Speaker 2: Often, yes, specifically a wireless adapter that supports monitor mode like promiscuous mode, but for Wi Fi letting you see all nearby traffic. Then crucially, packet injection, the ability to craft and send your own wireless frames. The source recommends Alpha brand cards, which are popular for this.
Speaker 1: What about common security tips that might not be so secure, like hiding your SSID.
Speaker 2: Hiding the SSAD. Yeah, that provides almost no real security. Your devices still need to know the SSID to connect, so they send out probe requests asking for it. A hacker and monitor mode can just listen for these requests or the AP's responses and discover the hidden name easily.
Speaker 1: And MSc filtering only allowing specific devices.
Speaker 2: Same problem security through obscurity, an attacker can just sniff the traffic, see the MC address of an allowed client, and then change their own adapter's MC address, spoofing it with a tool like the changer to match the allowed one bypass achieved.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what are the real attacks against something like WPA two.
Speaker 2: The most common attack against WPA two PSK, the password version, involves capturing the four way handshake handshake. When a legitimate client connects to a WA two network, there's a four step process where the client and AP prove they both know the password and derive session keys without actually sending the password in the.
Speaker 1: Clear, But you can capture that exchange.
Speaker 2: Yes, an attacker puts their card in monitor mode and uses tools like aero dumping to watch for clients connecting. Or they can speed things up by sending a de authentication frame using airplaying to kick a connected client off the network, forcing them to reconnect and generate a new handshake, which the attacker captures.
Speaker 1: And once you have the handshake, the.
Speaker 2: Handshake contains a hash derived from the password. It's not the password itself, but you can take that captured handshake and feed it into an offline password cracking tool.
Speaker 1: Like hashcat, along with the word list exactly.
Speaker 2: Hashcat tries hashing every word in a massive dictionary or word list, using the network's SSID as part of the process. Comparing the result to the captured hash, it finds a match. Boom, You've got the Wi Fi password. Success depends heavily on the password complexity and the quality of the word list.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's the handshake attack. Yeah, what about WPS that buttons. Some routers have.
Speaker 2: WPS Wi Fi protected setup designed for ease of use, but the initial PI in implementation was a security disaster. How So, it uses an eight digit PN but it validates the first four digits separately from the next three. The last digit is just a check some This means an attacker only needs to guess a four digit number ten thousand possibilities, and then a three digit number one thousand possibilities. That's only eleven thousand total guesses.
Speaker 1: Maximum, which is easy to brood force.
Speaker 2: Trivial tools like reaver or Bully can try all possible pins, often in just a few hours, and recover the actual WPA two password. Many routers still have this vulnerable WPS enabled by default. Checking the WPS status is often the first thing an attacker tries.
Speaker 1: Thikes, okay, what about the evil twin attack? Sounds nasty? It is.
Speaker 2: It's a man in the middle attack. The attacker sets up their own fake access point with the exact same SSID and security settings as the legitimate network you want to connect to, like a fake cofee shop WiFi exactly. Then they might use de authentication attacks to kick you off the real coffee shop WiFi. Your device, seeing the familiar network name, might automatically reconnect, but this time to the attacker's fake AP, and then all your Internet traffic flows through the attacker's machine. If you visit unencrypted websites HGTP. They can see everything in wireshirk usernames, passwords, anything you type. Even with HTTPS, they might try SSL stripping or prompt you with fake login pages. It's very effective in public areas.
Speaker 1: You mentioned the authentication attacks. Can they just be used to knock people offline?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Just continuously sending deof frames spoofing the AP's address to all connected clients basically creates a denial of service attack for that Wi Fi network. The source even shows a simple BSA script to automate this, making it persistently annoying.
Speaker 1: Is there anything newer attacking WPA two?
Speaker 2: Yes. A significant development from twenty eighteen is the PMKID attack pairwise master key identifier.
Speaker 1: How's that different from the handshake cap?
Speaker 2: The key difference is you don't need a client to be connecting or deauthenticate anyone. The attacker can potentially get the necessary password hash information directly from the access point itself in the first message, the RSNIE frame it sends when a client tries.
Speaker 1: To associate just one frame needed.
Speaker 2: Potentially Yes, Tools like hcx dump tool are used to request and capture this RSNIE containing the PMKID. Then, just like the handshake hash. You feed this pmkid data into hashcat for offline cracking against word lists. It's faster and stealthier than waiting for a full handshake.
Speaker 1: Wi Fi security is a constant cat mask game. What about Bluetooth? That's everywhere too.
Speaker 2: Bluetooth, designed for short range, low power communication, creates small personal area networks or peconets. Your headphones, speakers, keyboards, fitness trackers, cars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, tons of stuff. Are there Linux tools for it?
Speaker 2: Basic ones yeah. Hcnfig manages your Bluetooth adapter. H to tool can scan for nearby devices, and h dump can sniff Bluetooth traffic similar to TCP dump.
Speaker 1: Is Bluetooth secure It seems like it should be, with pairing and stuff.
Speaker 2: It has security features like frequency hopping to avoid interference and eavesdropping, and pairing involves generating shared keys, but vulnerabilities have consistently popped up over the years like what Classic attacks include blue smarfing connecting to a device without permission to steal data like contacts or calendars. Blue bugging goes further trying to take full control of the phone. Bluesmac is a simple denial of service attack.
Speaker 1: Anything more recent or severe.
Speaker 2: The source highlights the blueborne attack vector, discovered in twenty seventeen. This was a collection of vulnerabilities affecting billions of unpatched devices Android, Windows, Linux, older iOS s or did it allow? It exploited flaws in the Bluetooth implementation, particularly in the Service Discovery Protocol SDP. Critically, an attacker could trigger these flaws without needing to pair with the target device, and often even if the device wasn't set to discoverable mode, and the impact it could lead to remote code execution, potentially giving the attacker full control, even kernel level access. The source demonstrates using a Python script to exploit one of these volunds and extract memory content from a vulnerable device. Really serious stuff.
Speaker 1: Patching is key, definitely. Okay, let's move into some other crucial, maybe less obvious, network protocols ARP. Address Resolution Protocol.
Speaker 2: ARP essential on local Ethernet networks. Its job is simple but vital. It translates layer three IP addresses into layer two MC addresses.
Speaker 1: Why is that needed? If my computer knows the IP address of the printer, why does it need the MC address?
Speaker 2: Because on an Ethernet segment, devices ultimately communicate using physical MC addresses. When your computer wants to send a packet to the printer's IP, say one ninety two point one six eight point one point two zero on the same local network, it first needs to know the printer's hardware and MAC dress, so it sends out an ARP request broadcast who has one on two point one sixty eight point one point one two all, or tell me my IP in m AC. The printer sees this and replies with an a RP response one ninety two point one sixty eight point one point two zero is at MC address AA BBC d e e ff. Your computer then stores this mapping and its ARP table or cast.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, you can see this table.
Speaker 2: YEP the command in Windows or ARPN in Linux will show you the current IP TOMAC mappings your system knows about.
Speaker 1: How do attackers use AARP for reconnaissance?
Speaker 2: First off, tools like net Discover send out ARP requests for every possible IP on the local subnet. Any device that replies reveals its IP, its MMASS address, and often the vendor of its network card based on the first half of the MC address. It's a quick way to map out all the live hosts on the land, but.
Speaker 1: There are attacks too. ARP spoofing big time.
Speaker 2: AARP is inherently trusting, it doesn't really authenticate responses. This makes it vulnerable to ARP spoofing or ARP poisoning, which is the basis for many Man in the Middle MATM.
Speaker 1: Attacks on a land How does that work?
Speaker 2: An attacker sends out forged ARP replies. For example, they tell the victim computer that the router's IP address corresponds to the attackers MC address, and they tell the router that the victim's IP address corresponds to the attackers and mass C address.
Speaker 1: So all traffic between the victim and the router now goes through the attacker precisely.
Speaker 2: The attacker sits in the middle relaying the traffic, but able to read modifier block anything unencrypted. Tools like ettercap or arpspoof automate this process very effective on switch networks where simple sniffing doesn't work well.
Speaker 1: Scary stuff on the local network. Okay, what about the global phone book DNS?
Speaker 2: Domain Name system DNS absolutely fundamental to how we use the Internet. It's core job translate human friendly domain names like www, dot Google dot com into the numerical IP addresses that computers actually use to connect like one seventy two point two to one c point one six to zero point one four to two.
Speaker 1: Without it, we b typing numbers all day.
Speaker 2: We would And domain names have that hierarchy right at the top the route, then top level domains dot com, dot org, dot UK, then second level domains Google, BBC, and potentially subdomains www, the whole thing together like mail dot Google dot com is a fully qualified domain name or FQDN.
Speaker 1: Is the old host's file still relevant?
Speaker 2: Surprisingly, Yes, that simple text file on your computer echosts on LinuxMac C Window System thirty two drivers on Windows contains manual domain to IP mappings, and crucially, your system checks this file before it makes a DNS query out to the network.
Speaker 1: So you can hijack DNS locally by editing that file. You could.
Speaker 2: Malware sometimes modifies the host's file to redirect users from legitimate sites like their bank, to malicious fishing sites hosted elsewhere. It's a simple form of DNS spoofing on a local machine.
Speaker 1: But generally DNS is this huge distributed system.
Speaker 2: Massively distributed, hierarchical and dynamic. That's why it's so resilient. It's not just one server, it's a global network of servers. Key components include the DNS cash on your computer, storing recent lookups, resolvers, servers often run by your ISP that handle your queries, Authoritative name servers which hold the actual records for a domain and the overall name space, and.
Speaker 1: The records themselves a cripple amx right.
Speaker 2: Domains are organized into zone files, which contain various resource records, soa startup authority defines administrative info. NS lists the authoritative name servers. A map's a name to an IPv four address, quad a maps to an IPv six address. Cname creates an alias pointing to another name. PTR does the reverse look up IP to name, and MX mail exchanger tells email servers where to send mail for that domain. Has DNS always been secure historically No, It was designed for openness, not security. Vulnerabilities included fragility. Early versions could be crashed easily, information leakage attackers could query DNS servers to learn man internal network structures, DNS recon and denial of service. Taking down a company's DNS server effectively takes them offline.
Speaker 1: What about redirecting traffic.
Speaker 2: Malicious zone transfers were a problem, tricking a server into giving up its entire zone file, and attackers could compromise DNS servers or registration accounts to change legitimate records, pointing users to bad sites. The source mentions Iranian state actors doing this in twenty eighteen twenty nineteen to redirect users and steal credentials.
Speaker 1: Is there a fix?
Speaker 2: The main security enhancement is DNSSECNS Security Extensions. It uses digital signatures to add authentication and integrity to DNS data. When you get a DNS response, dnssec allows your resolver to verify that the data came from the legitimate source and hasn't been tampered with. Adoption is growing, but it's not universal.
Speaker 1: Yet, and you can build your own DNS server. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The source gives steps using BND, the most common DNS server software on Linux. Good way to understand the moving parts.
Speaker 1: Okay, moving on SMB server message block. The source seems to think this one is particularly troublesome.
Speaker 2: SMB Yes, it's described as often impenetrable but critical. It's an application layer protocol, mostly known for file and printer sharing and Windows networks, but also used for other interprocess communication. It usually runs over tcpport four five the older dialect CIFS Common Internet File System is basically SMB version one.
Speaker 1: Why is it considered so problematic?
Speaker 2: History? It has been a consistent source of major critical vulnerabilities and Windows for decades. Linux implementations via Samba have had issues too. These aren't minor bugs. They often lead to full remote system compromise.
Speaker 1: Any famous examples, Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: The source specifically calls out MS seventeen zero six seven, a classic vulnerability exploited by the configure worm, and even more significantly, MS seventeen zero ten, the vulnerability exploited by the NSA's eternal Blue tool.
Speaker 1: Eternal Blue that was leaked.
Speaker 2: Right, leaked by the Shadow Brokers group. Yes, and it was quickly weaponized in massive ransomware attacks like Wanacry and Pettianapaedia in twenty seventeen, causing global disruption. Eternal Blue allowed attackers to gain complete control over unpatched Windows systems simply by sending malicious SMB packets. It highlights just how dangerous SMB flaws can be.
Speaker 1: Can you practice with SMB? Say?
Speaker 2: The source suggests setting up a Samba server on Calley Linux Samba implements the SMB protocol so you can configure it to act like a Windows file share, letting you experiment with tools and techniques in a controlled lab environment.
Speaker 1: Good tip, Okay. Another daily protocol SMTP.
Speaker 2: For email SMTP simple Mail Transfer Protocol the backbone of email delivery. It's primarily used for transferring email between mail servers, mail transfer agents, or MTAs, typically on TCP port twenty five.
Speaker 1: How does the whole email process work?
Speaker 2: Generally, your email client Mail user agent MUA sends your outgoing message to your organizations or ISP's mail submission agent MSA. The MSA then uses SMTP to relay that message to the recipient's MTA. Finally, the recipient's MTA passes it to their mail delivery Agent MDA, which puts it in their inbox for their MUA to retrieve, often using protocols like POP three or IMAP. SMTP is that server to server relay part.
Speaker 1: Has SMTP had recent security issues too?
Speaker 2: Yes? Even major. The source mentions significant vulnerabilities in a Microsoft Exchange server in twenty twenty one, allegedly exploited by Chinese state actors, which prompted an unusual response where the FBI remotely patched vulnerable servers in the US. WOW and XIM, another very popular mail server software used on Linux Unix, had critical vulnerabilities in twenty nineteen and twenty twenty that could allow remote code execution or unauthorized access. Email servers are high value targets.
Speaker 1: How would someone probe? An SMTP server?
Speaker 2: Reconnaissance often starts with NMAP. You scan port twenty five to confirm SMTPS running and identify the server software and version like Microsoft Exchange EXEM postfix. Then NMAP has specific scripts NSE scripts that can try to enumerate valid usernames on the server using VRFY or EXPN commands if enabled, or even check for known vulnerabilities based on the detected.
Speaker 1: Version exploit it.
Speaker 2: If a non vulnerability exists like the source describes for an older EXUM version CVE twenty ten four three fourty four, you could use a framework like metasp mesaplat has modules specifically designed to exploit known flaws. In that EXEM example, successfully exploiting a heat buffer overflow could grant the attacker a remote shell, potentially with root privileges on the mail server.
Speaker 1: Full compromise okay one more standard protocol. The source highlights has often overlooked SNMP.
Speaker 2: SNMP simple network management protocol. The source calls it least understood yet so vitally important and that's fair. It's used by network administrators to monitor and manage network devices, routers, switches, servers, printers. It usually runs on UDP ports one hundred and sixty one requests and one hundred and sixty two traps notifications.
Speaker 1: How does it work? Manage agent exactly?
Speaker 2: SNMP managers like a central monitoring station, query SNMP agents running on the managed devices. The agents gather information requested by the manager.
Speaker 1: Where does the information come from? The MIIB?
Speaker 2: The MiB Management information base. It's a hierarchical database structure defined on each managed device. It contains a ton of information or orgize using object identifiers ODS, things like device uptime, network interface statistics, running processes, installed software, user accounts, system hardware details, potentially very sensitive data.
Speaker 1: What's the security issue? Especially with SNMPv one?
Speaker 2: SNMP version one had notoriously weak security. Authentication relied solely on plaintext community strings, which essentially act like passwords. There are typically two a read only string often default public, and a read right string often default.
Speaker 1: Private public ampress.
Speaker 2: Seriously, if devices were left with these defaults, anyone on the network could potentially query the device using the public string to extract vast amounts of information from the MIP, and if the private string was guessable or default, they could even change configuration settings on the device remotely via snmps set commands.
Speaker 1: How would you find this info?
Speaker 2: Tools like splot can dump large sections of the MiB if you know the community string. Some check is specifically designed for enumerting. SNMP infoe and tools like one sixty one are built to rapidly broute force common community strings against a list of IP addresses.
Speaker 1: So SNMP could be a gold mine for attacker doing.
Speaker 2: Reconnaissance, absolutely and potentially a way to control devices. The source even mentions an alleged NSA exploit called extra Bacon, which targeted a vulnerability in Cisco's SNMP implementation to bypass firewalls and monitor VPN traffic. It underscores that SNMP, if not properly secured, using newer versions like SNMPv three with encryption and strong authentication, can be a major security risk.
Speaker 1: Okay, we've covered a lot of the traditional IT network round Now for the really cutting edge stuff. The source gets into hacking physical systems, starting with cars automobile networks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is described as a leading edge area. As cars get loaded with more electronics, sensors, and connectivity, entertainment, remote diagnostics, driver assyst their attack surface expands dramatically. Autonomous vehicles magnify this concern hugely.
Speaker 1: What's the main next work inside a car? CANbus?
Speaker 2: The CANbus controller area network is the workhorse. It connects the various electronic control units ECUs and the car engine control, transmission, breaks, airbags, dashboard entertainment.
Speaker 1: And it's vulnerable fundamentally. Yes.
Speaker 2: Standard CANbus is a broadcast protocol. Every message sent by any ECU is seen by all other ECUs. More importantly, it typically has no built in encryption or authentication at the protocol level.
Speaker 1: No authentication, so you can just inject messages essentially.
Speaker 2: Yes, If you gain access to the CANbus you can potentially send messages pretending to be any ECU. This makes boofing attacks and man in the middle relatively straightforward compared to typical IT networks. Access is often gained via the OBED two port under the dashboard, the same one mechanics used for diagnostics.
Speaker 1: How do people practice this? The source mentions.
Speaker 2: Tools for learning. Can U tools is a set of Linux command line utilities for working with can and ICSM is an open source instrument cluster simulator, basically a little video game dashboard that simulates can traffic for things like speed, turn, signals, doors. You can interact with ICSIM using can utils as if it were real.
Speaker 1: Car networks, so you can try to reverse engineer the signals exactly.
Speaker 2: The source describes the process. Use can sniffer part of can utils while interacting with the simulator, say pressing the accelerator pedal, and ICSIM can sniffer highlights which can message IDs change their data values.
Speaker 1: Find the ID for acceleration.
Speaker 2: Find the ID in the specific data bytes that control acceleration. Once you figured that out, you can use cansen to inject your own message onto the simulated can bus with that ID in data, telling the car to accelerate. If you loop the Cansen command, you can effectively take autonomous control of that function in the simulator.
Speaker 1: Like making the simulated car floor.
Speaker 2: It exactly, making it go to one hundred milar hour, turn the wheel, unlocked doors, whatever functions you can reverse engineer and control via CAN messages. Applying this to real cars is obviously much more complex and dangerous, but the principle is the same.
Speaker 1: What about key fobs? Can they be hacked?
Speaker 2: Keyfobs often use rolling codes now, making simple replay attacks difficult, But the source details a different technique, Signal amplification relay attack or SARAH.
Speaker 1: How does SARAH work?
Speaker 2: It requires two attackers working together, each with a device that can relay radio signals. Attacker one stands near the car. Attacker two stands near the owner carrying the keyfob, maybe outside their house or following them in a store. Attacker one's device triggers the car to send it's where's the key signal. This signal is relayed to attacker two's device near the fob. The fob responds. That response is relayed back to Attacker one's device near the car. The car thinks the fob is nearby and unlocks or allows the ignition to start.
Speaker 1: So they just boost the signal range. They don't need to crack the code exactly.
Speaker 2: They don't decrypt anything. They just relay the legitimate encrypted communication over a much longer distance. The source compares it to a pass the HASH attack in networking using the credential without needing to know the under lying secret very effective against passive keyless entry systems.
Speaker 1: Clever and scary. Okay, from cars to even more critical systems SCATA and ICs industrial control systems.
Speaker 2: Satas supervisory control and data acquisition and ICs industrial control systems. These are the systems running critical infrastructure, power grids, water treatment plants, oil refineries, manufacturing lines, pipelines. The source rightly calls securing them the most important and overlooked field. An attack here can have devastating real world consequences.
Speaker 1: How are they different from regular IT networks.
Speaker 2: They often use specialized, sometimes proprietary communication protocols designed for industrial environments, not necessarily with security as the top priority. Initially, reliability and real time operation were often the main goals. Protocols like modbus, DNP three, profinet ethernet APE are common. They also often involve programmable logic controllers PLCs directly interacting with physical machinery.
Speaker 1: The source folk this is on modbus.
Speaker 2: Mod Bus is one of the oldest and most widely used industrial protocols. It's a simple master slave protocol, but its simplicity is also its weakness.
Speaker 1: What are the vulnerabilities?
Speaker 2: Big ones standard mod bus has no authentication, any device can send commands, no encryption, All data is sent in the clear. The TCPIP version lacks checksums sometimes and no broadcast suppression. Easy to flood the network with requests, causing a denial of service.
Speaker 1: Can you find these systems online?
Speaker 2: Worryingly Yes. Search engines like showdand specialize in finding Internet connected devices, including industrial controllers. The source shows how to search showdown for specific Schneider Electric TM two twenty one PLCs, a common type that are exposed directly to the Internet, often running.
Speaker 1: Mod bus and can you interact with them.
Speaker 2: If they're unsecured?
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: The source demonstrates using a command line tool called modbus Clay. This tool can connect to a mod bus device using its IP address found DA SHOWDAN and send commands to read or write values to its internal memory LOOE lotions called coils and registers.
Speaker 1: What does writing to a register do?
Speaker 2: It depends on what that register controls in the plc's program. It could start or stop a motor, open or close a valve, change a temperature set point, directly manipulating the physical industrial process.
Speaker 1: And the source mentions this was used in the Ukraine conflict.
Speaker 2: Yes, it explicitly states that maud Disclin was used often to disrupt Russian industrial systems during the Ukraine Russia War. It's presented as a real world example of how knowledge of these protocols and vulnerabilities can be applied, in this case for cyber warfare or activism.
Speaker 1: Powerful implications. Okay, Last, major area radio frequency hacking with SDR.
Speaker 2: SDR software defined radio. This is another fascinating frontier. So many things communicate wirelessly using radio frequencies RF, Wi Fi, Bluetooth, yes, but also car keyfobs, garage door openers, drones, baby monitors, weather stations, aircraft communications, GPS, satellite signals, cellular.
Speaker 1: Network Mayer's full of signals completely.
Speaker 2: And many of these RF applications, especially older or cheaper ones, weren't designed with strong security in mind. This opens them up to sniffing, eavesdropping, replay attacks, recording a signal and playing it back later like opening a garage door, signal deception or spoofing, sending fake signals, and jamming or denial of service.
Speaker 1: What does SDR let you do?
Speaker 2: Traditionally, working with different radio figurals required different specialized hardware radios. SDR replaces much of that dedicated hardware with software running on a computer. You use relatively inexpensive SDR hardware that just handles the raw radio reception and sometimes transmission, and the computer software does all the demodulation, filtering, and processing for different types of signals.
Speaker 1: So one piece of hardware can tune into many different.
Speaker 2: Things potentially yes, depending on its frequency range and capabilities. The source mentions popular SDR hardware, the super cheap rtl SDR dongles receive only great for beginners, the hack RF one transmit and receive mid range, and higher end options like blader F or Lime SDR.
Speaker 1: Can you give a simple example.
Speaker 2: Sure, you can get an RTLSDR for maybe thirty dollars, plug it into your computer's USB port, install software like SDR sharp SDR sharp on Windows or g corex on Linux, attached an antenna, and you can immediately tune into broadcast FM radio stations just like a regular radio, but seeing the signal visually on a waterfall display.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool, but what about more interesting signals?
Speaker 2: The source shows intercepting aircraft communication, air traffic control, and pilot communications are typically unencrypted AM signals in the VHF airband. With an SDR and the right software, you can listen in YEP. Also, aircraft constantly broadcast their position, altitude, speed, and flight number using a system called ADSB Automatic Dependent Surveillance Broadcast. This is also unencrypted. Tools like dump ten ninety used with an SDR can capture these ADSB signals, decode them, and even plot the planes on a map like Google Maps in real time. You can build your own personal flock.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. What about the GPS spoofing example.
Speaker 2: Ah GPS spoofing. This requires an SDR that can transmit like the hack or f one. GPS signals from satellites are actually very weak and unencrypted. Specialized software like GPSSDR sim can generate a simulated GPS signal data file for any location on.
Speaker 1: Earth, so you can create a fake signal for say Moscow exactly.
Speaker 2: You generate the data file for coordinates in Moscow, then you use software like hack transfer to transmit that simulated signal using your hack RF. Any GPS receivers nearby, like smartphones, might lock onto your stronger fake signal instead of the real satellite signal.
Speaker 1: And think they're in Moscow and.
Speaker 2: Think they're physically located in the Kremlin or wherever you chose. The source smashins potential applications like hiding shroop movements or spoofing the locations of assets like oligarch yachts during conflicts. It's a powerful demonstration of manipulating radio frequencies that underpin critical systems.
Speaker 1: Wow, we have really covered an enormous amount of ground today, from the absolute basics of IPS and TCP, through firewalls, Wi Fi hacks, all the way to cars, industrial systems, and now spoofing GPS with radio waves.
Speaker 2: It's a huge landscape, isn't it. But understanding these pieces, even at a high level, gives you such a different perspective on the technology we use every single day.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and it really drives home that this knowledge isn't just for hackers in the stereotypical sense. It's for anyone curious about how this interconnected world actually works for you listening now, Understanding this stuff helps you navigate it all more effectively, more securely. It sheds light on the how and why.
Speaker 2: You become a much more informed user, developer, or defender of these systems. You can ask better questions, spot potential issues, and appreciate the complexity involved.
Speaker 1: Definitely. So to wrap up, let's leave our listeners with a thought to chew on the source network basics for hackers offers some cyber warrior wisdom. At the end, it says knowledge is most valuable when understood and applied. Every adversary, no matter how how strong and powerful, always has a weakness. Find the weakness and exploit it.
Speaker 2: That's a powerful quote, it is, and.
Speaker 1: While it's framed in hacking terms, think about how that applies more broadly, not just to digital security, but to understanding any complex system you encounter, any challenge you face, maybe even any opportunity you want to pursue in your own life. Where's the underlying structure, Where's the potential leverage point? Something to think about.