Speaker 1: You are now listening to True Murder, The most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them. Gaesy, Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker VTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host journalist and author Dan Zufanski, Good Evening.
Speaker 2: In September nineteen forty three, in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, prominent citizen and attorney John Knoxon Junior was arrested for the murder of a six month old down syndrome baby Lawrence. Baby Lawrence, according to Knoxon, was axe evidently electrocuted. Authorities initially accepted Noxon's account, but grew suspicious when they discovered he had burned evidence before police could examine it. District Attorney Charles Alberty and police Chief Sullivan brought a small army of scientists and medical experts to court to try to prove the death was a premeditated murder, with the sentence for first degree murder being death by electric chair. The case drew in newspaper readers from across America, and Lawrence's death was often characterized as a mercy killing at a time when euthanasia societies were publicly advocating for the selection out of mental defectives from American society. Despite the efforts of his talented defense team at the sena Sational trial, John Knoxon Jr. Was sentenced to death. Afterwards, his dedicated attorneys continued fighting for a new trial, then a commutation of his sentence. The Electrocution of Baby Lawrence is also a story of how society once considered those born with Down syndrome and how John Knoxon Junior managed to get off death row and gain his freedom. The book that we're featuring this evening is The Electrocution of Baby Lawrence, a murder that shook a New England town, with my special guest, former courthouse reporter, writer and author James E. Overmyer. Welcome to the program, and thank you very much for this interview. James E. Overmeyer.
Speaker 3: It's a pleasure to be here. Dan, I'm very happy to be on your show.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, and congratulations on this book, The Electrocution of Baby Lawrence. Let's talk about the main characters introduced. The main characters in this story, and let's start with John Knoxon Junior, and a little bit about where this story emanates from, which is Pittsfield, Massachusetts. Can you tell us a little about the location of Pittsfield and its character and tell us about John Knoxon's background, Junior's background.
Speaker 3: Pittsfield is in the far west of Massachusetts, almost in New York State. It's about ten miles from the New York state line, and at that time, before interstate highways, it was kind of geographically isolated. It had so it had a lot of its own structure. It wasn't near Albany, New York or Springfield, mass and so it had its own infrastructure and social structure. In that social structure, John Knoxon Jr. Was one of the leading personalities of the city. He was a corporate lawyer. He worked a lot for the General Electric Company. They had a major plant that employed twelve thousand people, the major driver of industry and income in Pittsfield. His father had been a successful corporate lawyer. John was his associate till his father was crippled in a terrible accident in nineteen twenty six. John took over the practice with a partner, and he was he sort of inherited his father and mother's connection, social connections and social prominence. Except it turned out that John Junior wasn't a very nice guy, right. He was known as a bully as a kid and sort of looked down on people as an adult and pushed them around if he could. But he also had another aspect. He had been crippled with polio in his early twenties and one leg was completely stiffly encased in a brace and he walked with two canes. So and his father they took he and his wife, Margaret, took care of his father for ten years because his father was an invalid after his accident which cost him both his legs. So there were aspects to Oxen. He had a lot of woe in his family and literally and then, but he was also a kind of guy who pushed people around and didn't seem to have a lot of regard for personal attachments. His wife had the responsibility for taking care of that. And then Lawrence comes along, born in nineteen forty three, sort of an unresponsive maybe. They have him examined by his local pediatrician and by specialists in Boston, and the verdict is that Lawrence has what now we call down syndrome. Term hadn't been invented yet, so everybody, including the medical specialists, referred to him as a mongoloid or a mongoloid idiot. There's a lot in this story about how retarded children were looked down upon in that day. In addition to everything else going on here.
Speaker 2: You also talk about at the time that euthanasia was being discussed. Tell us about what this euthanasia, what people were included in this, and just tell us a little bit about the public opinion at that time.
Speaker 3: The Youth in Asia Drive started, I guess you'd say, I guess it became publicly popular in the twenties, and it was first aimed at what we would now call assisted suicide, people who were who had terminal cancer or other terminal painful diseases. But wouldn't it be a good idea if they could choose in their life? Of course, then there was absolutely no state or federal laws allowing that at all, But so that was how the drive started. But then it expanded, and wouldn't it be a good idea? I mean, the chief proponent of this in New York State, Reverend Charles Potter, went farther, he said, you know, the state of New York spends thirty million dollars a year housing and support mental defectives. Maybe they should be euthanized too. Of course, now we're getting right into the Lawrence knoxon territory, so it's very controversial. Doctors and other churches, particularly the Catholic Church all the way up to Rome, are opposed to this. It's interesting. The Gallup Pole took a poll twice in the thirties and the question was do you agree with euthanasia if it's monitored or administered by the state, And the majority of people did not agree, but it wasn't It was like in the mid fifty percent. So in the mid forty percent of the respondents of the Gallup Pole people said yeah, that would be all right.
Speaker 2: With that attitude prevalent in the public, tell us what this doctor Smith from Boston recommended when he spoke to John Knox and then his wife Margaret about Lawrence.
Speaker 3: Richard Smith, the specialist in Boston confirm the local pediatrician, doctor Hunt's diagnosis and said, well, you can do three things. You can keep the child at home. We really don't recommend that, and there were That was really the recommendation of all medical specialists at that point with Down syndrome children is just going to wreck your life, wreck your family life. Or you could institutionalize the kid. The institution in Massachusetts, a Belchertown State School, was pretty much a warehouse, and even at that time and for somebody of the Noxons level, it certainly was inacceptable. Or you could find a home, and there were people, you know, foster parents, basically, people ran group homes who would take these children in. And I can recommend at least one to you right now off the top of my head. And this is in August of nineteen forty three, late August. And then Knox said, we'll think about it, and they bundled up Lawrence from Boston and drove back down to Pittsfield. And less than a month later, Lawrence is electrocuted in what was or was not a household accident.
Speaker 2: It's interesting you also include that this doctor Smith also said that they had another child, John Knox, in the third and they said that this young child psychologically couldn't handle the disabled baby there and had some idea that there would be trouble, no doubt with the disabled child and the normal child.
Speaker 3: Yes, that was one of the It was one of doctor Smith's opinions. He was right in line with a director of the Mayo Clinic gave a speech, I don't know, late late forties, not too far after that, to a national convention. He said, a down syndrome maybe is born. It's even best if you can do it to take the child away from the mother, tell him, tell her something, keep her at bay. The child needs extra care while the family and the doctors and everyone else scurries around and finds a placement for the kid, so she'll never see the child again. I mean, the whole idea was these children should be separated as soon as possible from the family. It's just going to call it to cause divorce. It's going to cause psychological problems for the other children, if there are any. I mean, it's just one hundred and eighty degree spin from the way society sees it today.
Speaker 2: Let's get to this fateful evening in September and the call from John Knox and Junior to a doctor George Hunt, the child's pediatrician.
Speaker 3: As George Hunt had been a pediatrician at that point for almost thirty years in Pittsfield and he gets a call. Well, Noxon has to call around and track him down. It's late, it's about five point thirty in the afternoon. He said, come out to the house right away. Something has happened to Lawrence. And apparently that's what he said, and Hunt, in all of the further proceedings never made it more specific. So Hunt drives out there and Lawrence is on the floor of the house, the library of the house. This is a pretty well, the Oxen's had a lot of money. This was a pretty big and nice house. They called it the bookroom. Lawrence is on the floor and he is clearly dead. And Hunt calls the medical examiner, who is sort of like the coroner in Massachusetts. They're pointed by the governor. They're not elected. There have to be mds. And Albert England foreigner comes out and confirms this and what happened, Well, I was working on a radio and by radios is nineteen forty three to radio is about half as big as as a Volkswagen Beetle, you know, with tubes inside. And Lawrence got electrocuted. Well, Hunt and England, this is a leading citizen of the city, kind of pushy too, and so they take his word for it and they leave. They call a funeral home, they leave, Some of them from the Wellington funeral Home comes around, collects the Lawrence's body and away they go. The police aren't called and for a few hours overnight that's it.
Speaker 2: What does John Noxon do? Later he explains why, But what does he do? Soon after Doctor England and doctor Hunt leave.
Speaker 3: There's an extension cord involved, which connected to a trouble light, which is a caged light bulb that usually used to work on cars, but Noxon had it out to peer into the back of the radio. The trouble cord, according to Oxen, was the source of the electrocution. And after they leave, after the child is collected up by Wellington funeral home attendant, he throws the cord and the baby's clothes in the house's incinerator in the basement and burns them, so the cord is basically reduced to a couple of strands of burned up of black copper wire with no evidentiary value at all.
Speaker 2: Now tell us about this, Chief Sullivan and Inspector McColgan and Captain Marcel.
Speaker 3: Doctor England, the medical examiner. Apparently. I don't know if he had a sleepless night, or at least he had second thoughts in the more. He drives back out to the house and says, you know, I'd like to take another look at that cord, which he didn't take with him the night before. You thought he might have, but he'd written his case off as an accidental deaths probably immersed. He said that before. It's kind of a good thing this happened because down syndrome mongoloid kids had no future anyway. Wow, And well he didn't say that, but that's the he got. He said the first part, it's a good thing this happened, and that's why it was. He thought it was a good thing this happened. He goes back out, I'd like to take a look at that cord. Well, you know, I didn't want around the house disturbing Margaret and the baby's clothes, which had a little blood on him from leading from the nose. And John is away, John the third is away at prep school, but he's going to come home, and he's a very he's a real tinkerer and experimenter, and I didn't want him near this cord. So he burned it. England, turns around, drive downtown, findes Chief Chief Sullivan tells him the story. Sullivan is disturbed, and he's disturbed at first primarily because a potential someone died in his city and he didn't know that, his police didn't know about it. I think his institutional pride is quite affected here. So he collects his two main men, Camille Marcel, who was a captain, who's really he doesn't have this role, he's really a deputy police chief, and Daniel McColgan, Inspector McColgan, who's the head of the detective bureau, and they drive out to the Oxen house and Sullivan is a combination of sympathetic, I'm sorry this happened, though I wish you'd called this, and a little because he's top and there's the death and he's a little suspicious. But they talk about it and Oxen tells him the story, and that's pretty much in and they're done. By late morning. Stullivan and mccaugun and car Marcel arrived down to the funeral home. State pathologists has been called, but naturally, the Berkshire's being out in the moon means he's got to drive out from Boston, and it takes a little while. So he looks at the body and the body has some burns on it, as you might expect, it has a particularly deep burn on the left forearm, and knox In maintained all along. It's the trouble court caused it. The trouble court, as Hunt and the two doctors Hunt in England observed, it only had a couple of brakes in it. The biggest one was about three quarters of an inch long. And here you have a burn that's two inches by in one direction and an inch and in three quarters in the other on a baby's arm. That's a lot of burn. And they turn around and they go back out to the house and Stullivan's attitude has completely changed. He now has in his mind a homicide case and he's gonna, with his assistance of his two aides, is going to get to the bottom of it. And the tough questioning starts. It gets pretty far that day, that's the twenty third, that's a Friday. On the twenty fourth, Noxen and Missus Knoxon are summoned to the police station where John L. Sullivan, who never had a fistfight with anybody, but he kind of policed, like the priest fighter fors his fights and an assistant district attorney almore code sit down for a long interview with an actions.
Speaker 2: Let's use this as an opportunity to stop to hear these messages. Now, let's get to this official story on how this most unlikely thing could have happened, and also that Margaret wasn't really, ever, really seriously questioned. However, John k. Noxon has his official story on about how the child was electrocuted? What do Sullivan and McColgan, what do they hear is the official story.
Speaker 3: He tells them. They start to question him, and he sort of takes over. I mean, this is classic John Knoxon, a trial lawyer who's also an aggressive, domineering guy, and Kote lets him the assistant DA. The DA is out of town trying a case in another city, so codey is in charge in Pittsfield and he lets him, which isn't necessarily a bad thing in this case, because Noxon says a few things that sort of trip them up. Later, he was going to fix the radio. We hadn't been working right. He pulls it out away from the wall. He gets this extension chord and the trouble light, and the whole thing becomes known as the trouble cord. In the enduring it has its own it gets it's its own terminology. It's called the trouble Cord throughout the rest of the trial in the case, So he lays all this out and Margaret says, I want to go out in the garden at a victory garden. This is World War two. Pick some corn for dinner. Would you look after the baby? And she puts them on a big chair with big arms, a wing chair. Says okay, fine, So he starts to work on the radio. He realizes he needs to pop over to the garage. You attach garage, you get a couple of tools, and he doesn't want the baby on the chair, so he wants to put him on the floor. Well, the baby's got a wet diaper and the floor has a sort of American knockof oriental carpet on it. So he goes to the pantry and he gets a metal tray. He puts the baby on the tray so the diaper won't soil the rug, and he goes out to the garage and he says, I was gone for about three or four minutes comes back in. Lawrence has gotten himself entangled in the antenna antenna wire which runs up to the roof ordinarily excepted. She's been detached from the radio and the trouble cord and he's touched the bare spots and he's electrocuted himself. And I pulled the cord off and he's not responsive. So I go to the phone and I'm making calls to the hospital and doctor England's home, and I finally track him down and he comes out to the house. That's his story. Margaret says that she had basically confirmed this. She had brought the she wanted to. She went out to the outside the house to the garden. She brought the baby into John and she got the baby's food ready and took them upstairs, and the baby wasn't there. And she came down and there's this whole scene in the bookroom and she collapses on the sofa. She did not she said she was not there when it happened. I think she probably wasn't. But the question was the question that kept arising was well, where was she and what did she know? And no one ever asked her that it's funny because I mean under Massachusetts law and I think probably all other jurisdictions, a spouse can't be forced to testify against his or her spouse. But of course you can ask them questions before that, and they can refuse to answer them, or they could say something. It might be no one everybody left her alone, and it's kind of funny. It's of course, this is a very genteel level of Fitsfield society, which wasn't very violent or disrupted to begin with. It's a small city. She was never seriously questioned. She didn't testify in her husband's behalf. She had she could even cross examined by the eight and that never happened. She's just separated from the case, and whether and what she might have known or suspected is lost the history. I will say that throughout the trial and all the things that happened after the trial, she never wavered. She stood by her husband's side, she supported him, she did everything she could to get him out of prison. Afterwards, her story is a bit mysterious in my mind.
Speaker 2: Let's get back to Chief Sullivan and this aggressive questioning of this pretty experienced defendant. Sullivan had two main questions for NOx On, why did he think it was sufficient to only call doctor Hunt? And two why destroy evidence that you know, as a lawyer, would be evidence. And what was his response to that?
Speaker 3: Knoxton said, this, just having this wire around was very disturbing. It was an accident, after all. So I threw doctor Hunt. Didn't take it with him doctor England. I mean he should have maybe, but I threw it in the incinerator. And Sullivan said, why don't you call the police? He says, I'm not a criminal lawyer. You know there's a law. There's a law that requires people to call the police in the case of the death, which there apparently wasn't I'm sure in John O'Sullivan's mind, probably in the US Constitution, but it turns out there was no such law. And at any rate, not to say, hey, I'm a civil lawyer. I never did criminal law. I didn't know that. The Sullivan by the time, because you've seen the baby, and he comes back out. He is rare to go, he says. When he leaves in the morning, he says, well, the worst I can say, John is you are very very best I can say, John, as you were very very careless. He comes back in the afternoon he said, I know you killed your son. Noxon denies it. Of course, Sullivan's completely flipped his attitude and now he's he's on a hunt to get a confession or enough evidence for a conviction or whatever.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about that investigation and the arrest and how it came to be.
Speaker 3: You have two kinds of evidence. There's direct evidence, which is a confession, or eyewitnesses that there's circumstantial evidence. Well, there's no direct evidence. Noxon never confessed even came close to it. And the evidence when an incinerator, this is a Charles Alberti was the district attorney, and he and Sullivan and assistant DA's and Marcel and McColgan, they really put together a fantastic case. They went to the factory in Connecticut, a GE factory, needless to say, that had manufactured this extension cord and got fifty feet of it and then took it to divided it up into twelve foot lengths, which is the length of the cord originally was when it was sold in the store. Took it to the GE subsidiary in Rhode Island that attached the sockets. The socket, the flug socket and the receptacle socket on the other end and had them do that. So now they've got these cords and they interview England and Hunt to say, well, where were these cuts and what did they look like? And they replicated. So they replicated the evidence, and they have two eyewitnesses. The two doctors say, yeah, that's that's what it looked like. And they entered those into evidence and they got the state pathologist was a Harvard Medical School factory faculty member who had spent his whole career in forensic medicine. So he testifies about all of this, and he testifies to the extent he knows about electricity, the effects of electricity. He thinks. He says, if that cord was used the electric cute to cause those burns, it would have been about fifteen minutes and it had to be held onto the body, which of course Notaxen said, I was gone for maybe five minutes at the most, and I didn't even see it happened. They've got the state chemist, the State Laboratory chemist, the guy who founded the State Laboratory, who's got a PhD. Chemistry, and he does all of these tests on skin from the baby and other things and finds there's copper in these skin cell not on the surface, but down inside the pieces of skin from the burns. So it's and that didn't happen by some accidental sparking and arcing or anything like that from those wires. You would have had to held something into the skin to make it happen, which, of course rather contradicts Noxon story. The prosecution case was considering the fact that they lost that crucial first day in investigating the case because nobody told them about it was really an excellent piece of work.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about who John Knoxon gets. He's wealthy, so he can consider any attorney he would like.
Speaker 3: John was originally defended and throughout the trial as the second attorney by Walter Donovan, who was a leading attorney in Berkshire County. I presume Donovan brought in Eally, who was what were governed. He had been governor of the state for two terms in the thirties and then he left politics and got rich. He was a corporate on corporate boards. He president of a woolen corporation. He had offices in his hometown of Westfield, which is halfway across the state, and in Boston. He was extremely well known it very good lawyer too, So he had Joey e Lee and Walter Donovan the defense team, and that's a pretty stellar team, both statewide and locally. Stay lined up their own experts and their main medical expert was Milton Helpern, who New Yorkers with any sense of history will recognize him. He was the New York City Medical Examiner for many years. At that time he was the Deputy Chief Medical Examiner and took this case on the side of course, so he was the equivalent of Allan Morritz, the state pathologist. They also brought in doctor Charles Lunn, who was on the Harvard's faculty and an expert in burns. Doctor Lund had started a project for the government for the military to evaluate burns at the Boston City Hospital. In the middle of the project, in nineteen forty two, the Coconut Grove fire happened in Boston, and that was a nightclub disaster. Nightclub caught fire and there were exits were blocked, hundreds of people died, and hundreds of burn cases where shipped the hospitals all over the city. Doctor Lunt had three hundred burn cases on his hands where the hospital did, and so he had he had quite a study, so he was he was an expert in burns and so those along with some electrical engineers who were also also testified for the defense, they had a lineup that equalled the States for sure.
Speaker 2: You talk about the beginning of this case, and one incredible feature is how they would house the prisoner in the courtroom rather than sitting by his attorneys.
Speaker 3: This was gone by the time I just started covering the court and I couldn't believe it when I found out about it. The courtroom had an iron cage set up behind the defense table, and that's where the defendant, criminal defendant sat, even John Knoxen, who had crippled legs and walked with canes, because a few years before, elsewhere in the state, a defendant's brother had burst into the courtroom with a gun and a bomb shot the sheriff tried to set off the bomb before he was subdued. And somehow this was supposed to protect the courtroom by putting the defendant, who had no weapons on him. He'd been he was under supervision of a couple of deputy sheriffs in the cage. It was described by someone as medieval, and I couldn't agree more. In some part I wish I'd seen it, and a bigger part of me and I'm glad I never had to see it. I mean, it just put the defendant in such a terrible disadvantage in front of the jury.
Speaker 2: Now, Judge Penatski begins this, but let's talk about just at that time in Massachusetts. Incredibly, and you pointed out that the difference between civil cases that John Knoxon Jr. Was very familiar with, but the criminal law had different rules regarding discovery. Can you explain what the situation was in nineteen forty four?
Speaker 3: Nineteen forty four, the district attorney was not obliged to provide much of anything in the way of his evidence to these and Joseph Peely was opposed to this, and he was opposed to this even outside the knox and trial. And he had done it and filed motion after motion to try to get their hands on physical evidence, to try to get their hands on the grand jury minutes, and they were rejected and rejected and rejected. Judge Manansky finally said, at one point, what you want is for the district attorney to tell you what's in his case now. I became administrative assistant to the DA for trial preparation in that county, that in that courtroom in nineteen seventy nine, and yeah, we in fact the law then we gave them all that stuff. And I'm saying, yeah, judge, that's what he wants and you and then it's prepositive what Pinansky said. I mean, he's he's not outside the law. He's totally within Massachusetts law at the time. But Pinanski said was preposterous. But that was the law at the time, which fortunately I think changed.
Speaker 2: You have one dramatic, vivid example where you talk about that EE was in court and there was full he was asking the DA for any photos that he had not released to the defense as of yet and got him to release ones that were sitting in his attached a case. Can you tell us about this very vivid scene.
Speaker 3: Yes, there's there's clearly bad blood between Charlie Alberti, the DA, and Joe Eely, and there's I don't know that they I don't think they knew each other well at all. ELI didn't usually practice in Pittsfield. There's some class consciousness and ethnic issues involved here too. Under the surface at any rate. Eally's drive being out, very crazy, trying to get hands on evidence. So they start the case. The first evidence is the state police photographer who took pictures of the body at the funeral home. And as the pictures go into evidence, of course, now the defense gets their copies. Neally said, were there any other pictures taken there? And the corporal says, not to my knowledge, and so he starts to bug Alberta by this in front of the jury. This is live, so to speak. Alberta says, oh, I have more photos here, take this, take this. Now he's fed up, and here's here's diagram of the blueprints at the house. You want to see those. And he's shoving all this stuff and this. They keep going back and forth, and there's a carton, a cardboard carton under the prosecution table, and it gets you know, Alberta says, I'll give you everything I've got. What else do you want? Really says, oh, do you want to deliver yourself into my hands? You know, it's just getting terribly sarcastic, right in front of the jury, in front of the judge, and Alberti reaches into this cart and pulls out this baby doll and waves it around here. You want this too, and everybody is what in the courtroom erupts, and the deputy Sheriff's QUI everybody, and Judge VENASKI you know it tells everyone somebody words to sit down and shut up. The doll was to be introduced in evidence later, although it never was. It had marks replicating the burns on it, and it's very unscientific and didn't pass in the end. It didn't pass muster. But of course that's certainly not the way you introduce evidence. So the case basically, the trial basically starts out with a big disruption in the court caused by the district attorney.
Speaker 2: I might ask that tiessus has an opportunity to stop to hear these messages.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: One of the things that Sullivan and his men routed out was a witness named Witlessy william A. Witlessy tell us what question they said that Witlessy had said that Noxon had questioned him about.
Speaker 3: Yes, he was the president of one of the banks that Noxon was attorney for, but he also was vice president of the local electric company, and he knew his father had founded the company, and he knew a lot about electricity. So Noxlan takes him aside at the bank and says, you know, I'm just curious. I'm just curious. Can a person be electrocuted killed by household current? And the answer is yeah, under certain circumstances, if he's standing, if he's standing in something wet, and yes, that can be. So that became a big deal, needless to say, that became prosecution evidence, and the question was asked roughly at the time that doctor Smith in Boston had returned the diagnosis down syndrome modolism, as I called it. So yeah, that became a big deal at the trial. Are we are we fishing for ways to kill the baby? Maybe we are. Noxon said, I was just curious. I read it, and I read about a case in the paper. My son John. The third is I likes to experiment with electricity, so I was just curious. So those are the two sides of that story.
Speaker 2: Tell us about the what was found in the wastebasket at Sullivan's home and what the prosecutions purported relevance of this evidence was.
Speaker 3: On the weekend, the police came back to the house. They were in and out of the Noxo. It took five days for Noxen to be arrested, which is kind of interesting in and of itself. In the meantime, there were questionings and the police came and took photos, and they came back for the evidence, which included half the contents of the library room, the chair, the rugs, the radio. And while they're hauling all of this away, under Captain Marcel's direction, in Spectrum McColgan and a state police detective who was assigned to the DA's office, John Horgan, go upstairs and fish around for more evidence because well, nobody another search and seizure and search warrant law hadn't evolved much either in Massachusetts, and they could do this, so they did it, and in a waste basket in the master bedroom they find all these torn up pieces of paper which went pieced together make three pieces of paper with basically an amount of briefing notes of John Knoxon's story written down in sort of shorthand short bursts of words or bullet point what we would call bullet points now on how what his story is. And the DA they piece these together, they enlarge them photographically to give them to the jury and the Da reads these to the jury, and the prosecution's point is this guy prepared his story. He's not being casual with us, he's not being you know, forthcoming like a regular person. He wrote all this down, He prepared his story to this false story to give us. Noxon says, well, I've been questioning, questioning question and I'm a good lawyer, so I'm going to write this stuff down so i can get it straight. That's what I do in my profession. And when I was done with them, I tore them up and threw them away. So that was incriminating evidence. If you were the prosecution, is just like, well, it's one of those things if I did. If you're the defense and the jury, just as the case of many other things, here can look at it, could look at it both ways.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about the gist of this trial in terms of the medical experts. It was a classic battle of conflicting opinions from medical experts who were the medical experts for the prosecution that were effective. Before we talk about the medical experts for the defense and how effective they were.
Speaker 3: Alan Moritz, the Harvard to a medical school faculty member who was the state pathologist, was extremely effective. He went through the whole process of the autopsy, described the burns, and throw in a little through in a little bit, he says, well, the burn, the big burn on Lawrence's left arm, was an eighth of an inch deep. With you look at your arm and think about it is pretty deep. He said. The skin looked as if it had been cooked. Now, the regular witness could not have gotten away with that characterization, but I guess if you are, if you are a Harvard faculty member who's the state pathologist, you can slip that one in. And that was pretty effective. He also to the extent he could could and he was you know, he was very disciplined. He didn't go beyond his scope of his abilities or his knowledge. He said, you know, if you're going to use that cord as put in evidence here, the repliccord, you'd have to you'd have to hold that to the baby for about fifteen minutes to get these results anything near these results, which contradicted Noxon's story almost entirely, or maybe entirely so. Martz was the key to the case. His testimony was very solid. He didn't get overturned by the defense very much. And you know, he knew he knew when to emphasize what he knew, and he knew not to go on on a limb and speculate, which is not always the case of defense. I mean the prosecution and defense witnesses. I can tell you that. So that's that was Alan Mortz's contribution.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about just before we talk about the the medical experts, the experts for the defense. But at the same time, it's this is a big, huge national story, and there are some veteran journalists covering this, including Dorothy Weyman. Tell us a little bit about the coverage and Dorothy Weyman.
Speaker 3: The Boston papers were on this, even if it was at the other end of the state, and they sent top level reporters out to cover the trial. Dorothy was Boston Globe reporter with a long cedigory. She eventually wrote magazine articles and books. She was a feature writer, but clearly she'd been to court before because she handled this. She handled us like a veteran. He covered the case from beginning to end, and as the case went along, she became convinced sitting in that courtroom that John Noxon was innocent, and she became emotional support and a friend of Margaret Noxon, who was in the courtroom nearly every day after the trial was over. Dorothy not in print. I can only find one story of hers, which is clearly biased towards the defendant. But behind the scenes, she was a great supporter of the Noxen family and in her opinion, helped get Noxen out of prison eventually. Well, she did help. In her opinion, she helped a lot. I'm not sure she helped a lot, but she was working hard at it. And it's a real I mean, I was a newspaper reporter for several years before I went to work for the DA. I mean, I find her behavior by the journalistic standards of my day in current days just outrageous, although I have to say she managed somehow to keep her reporting and her personal beliefs separate, which is one thing in her behalf.
Speaker 2: Let's get back to the defense's medical experts. Who they chose and what aspect they decided to focus on, and how effective were they.
Speaker 3: Milton Helpern, the New York City medical examiner, who was the chief defense medical witness, had this theory that Lawrence had a wet diaper and it was diaper with diaper pins. In those days, and that he had entangled his arm, his right arm in the cord, and his left arm had come down and rested against the diaper and the diaper pin, and this caused a current to go through his body. And actually, you know, you can't get from the right arm to the left arm without going through the heart area, and that stopped his heart and electrocuted him. And there was a burn on the left arm. In addition to the deep burn, there was a sort of burn that everybody eventually described as dumbbell shaped, a thin two thin lines in the middle and larger burns on the end. And the district attorney eventually said that's that was the result of jabbing with a live wire. But the defense said, look, that's where the that's where the pin, the diaper pan contacted the skin. That's all that that burn shows that this happened. That was their theory. And doctor Lund, the burn experts, said yeah, that could have been in So that's very different from obviously from the defense, I mean, from the prosecution aspect that supported there had explained the dumbbell shape burn and explained how it was an accident.
Speaker 2: Now you're right that John Knox and Junior wasn't compelled to testify whatsoever, but right from the beginning Joseph eely Was had stated that he was. It was his attention to testify. So let's talk about that testimony and some of the things that went on in that testimony that were newsworthy for the public and also relevant to this trial.
Speaker 3: Knocks on detective stand and he testified really very well in his own defense. He told his story again. He told his life story, how he been gassed in World War One in Europe, and how he'd been crippled, and how he became a lawyer and he took care of his father and all these simply building things, and then he tells he tells the story of the accidental equatrocution yet again. And at the end, Walter Dunovan is doing the examination. He says, did you love your son? He said, I loved him so dearly, you know, and all of that. And then, of course, once you testified, the other side gets to cross his avenue and ALBERTI, this is first murder trial, this first and only murder trial as far as I know, and he tears into him and noxon from this sort of suave sounding composed fellow starts to be the kind of attorney, to be the kind of witness that knocks on the attorney would probably hate to put on a stand. Well, I can't remember, I'm not sure. Is that what you said to the folice at the time. Well, yes, and that's as best as I can remember. And he's stumbling and he's halting, and then Alberti pulls out the sort of secret weapon he'd been called after the first trial ended in a mistrial and one of the jurors got sick and started over. And in between, somewhere along the line, he'd been called at home in the evening, at dinner time by someone who worked at the ss Kretsky at Kresky department store and said, you know, I don't know if this is important, mister Alberty, but mister Knoxon was in our store shortly before Lawrence died invought extension court. So Alberti starts to grill him about the extension cort. Well, I don't know. I bought a lot of extension courts. I may have bought that. You buy one inside August. I don't know if I went in September. I don't really know. Yeah, I may have what store, I don't remember. So he has Noxon's attorneys produce an extension cord from the house and they do it kind of has them over a barrel. Doctn's given permission for this court because he doesn't really have a choice. I guess the cops are going to go in and find it anyway, and Ilian Donovan, you know, they're members of the Massachusetts bar they can't suppress evidence. They're both very credible people. So they bring this cord in and it's attached to a soldering iron in a sort of amateur now semi amateurish way. You take the soldering iron off and there's this cord and they measure it and it's nine inches short of what it should be. They bring the witness from the Rhode Island plant back and he says, yeah, it's supposed to be twelve feet long and now it's only eleven feet two inches or something like that. So he confronts them about the ALBERTI confronts NOx And about the cord, and it's just, well, you know, I did this for the soldering cord because the other core, the original cord, is too short, and how come all of this insulation is missing off the end of you know he did was attach this soldering iron to it as well? I don't know. I don't really know. I stripped some of it off for this, and I don't know what happened to the rest. Couldn't you have used this? Now you can do this across the examination. You can badger the witness relief. Didn't you use this to push these wires into your son an electric edom? No? No, I didn't, But it's there. It's there. All of a sudden, you've got a credible murder weapon, whereas you didn't before. You had knocks on in the room along with the boy, you had electricity, you had his story that didn't really add up, and you probably had sufficient evidence for a conviction, but you didn't really have the well, not the smoking gun, but the hot wire. And now you do. That's where that's that's where the testimony concludes. Basically, no one ever accounted for the missing nine inches of wire, but the question is left sort of hanging in the air over the jury's heads. As the testimony ends.
Speaker 2: Let's use this as an opportunity to hear these messages. So now you say that the jury goes out, and relatively soon they come back with one question, and it's regarding whether first degree or the distinction between first degree and second degree murder doesn't seems to bode too well for the defense. Tell us about the verdict and then the public react and a little bit about Margaret and just the people that were supporters.
Speaker 3: Tell us the jury is out after almost a month of trial. The jury's out for five hours and they come back with this. Part way through, they come back with the question, judge, can you explain to us again the law between first and second degree murder? And at that point, you know, there are always these people, everybody I was one of them. You'd sit around you try to read the tea leaves of the jury's questions. Whoa which way they had it? Which way are they going? Well, this case is pretty clear. They've got murder on their they got murder on their minds his first degree, which is punishable at that time only by death and the electric chair, or second degree, which is punished by life. So that pretty much tells you which way it's going. They're not out for law, and the judge explains this to them, and they go in and they're not They're back pretty soon first degree murder. The jurors heeded the judge's instruction and our advice not to blab to the public. Apparently no one ever gave an interview or anything. But of course they had pieces of paper left behind which were their vote their ballots, and of course the deputy sheriff's who I soon wore the leaks, scooped these up and disseminated the information to the press, and there was They took foot ballots and there was never a not guilty vote. There was one abstention on the first ballot for some reason. It was all first degree or second degree, and finally the one holdout for second degree came over and they had a first degree conviction, and the next day he was sentenced to the electric chair. Public reaction was very mixed. There were letters. Letters started flowing in to the governor of Massachusetts at the time, Levertt Saltonstall seeking clemency for an accent don't elect acute him. Many more than were in favor of the sentinels being carried out local people, so there was some reporting about local attitudes, not really quoting anybody, and people were surprised he was convicted. They figured that a guy at his stature and wealth would get off. As I always said, there were three camps here in this case. There was the camp that convinced it was murdered at the beginning, There was the camp they was convinced it was an accident. And there was a big camp in the middle the people said, well, it may have been a crime, but it was for the best, it was a mercy killing, and this guy should not get the death penalty, or he should not be in jail for very long, or whatever. So there was a lot of a lot of that attitude. Margaret never publicly said anything other than my husband is not guilty. Eally was distraught at the verdict. He's visibly distraught in the courtroom and immediately without further fee, I might add, because Chris lost his livelihood, took the case up. There was getting the governor at the time where he's tobin to hopefully commute the sentence from death to life. Then there was an attempt at getting a pardon from the next governor to clean get him out of prison and clean the record completely.
Speaker 2: You talk about the rule that Dorothy Wyman had at that time, You say she was an objective journalist during the first two trials, but now she does get involved along with you said that Eli was continuing along with Donovan with no fee to continue this fight because they really did believe that Noxon was innocent. But at the same time, Noxon is a lawyer and starts filing motions from behind bars that concerned his case.
Speaker 3: Well, there were motions immediately post trial to get the verdict over, get the verdict overturned, get the judge to overturn the verdict Judge Bananski, and most of them were waterplate. Really, they always could file. They was get tonight. There was once one motion that was fascinating, and the gist of it was that John Knoxon was so disliked in his hometown of Pittsfield, Massachusetts that he could not get a fair trial. And their evidence was when he was arrested. This is per state law, and I still is. There's a mental examination of the defendant in case there's an insanity flea that the state wants its witnesses, its psychiatric doctors to weigh in. Well, there's no question of insanity. But at the same time they said a social worker from the state nearest state hospital to do to question people in Pittsfield and do a report. And she talked to some obvious people, Margaret Knoxen, Michael Eisner, and John's law partner on a few other people identified as who were family friends. But then they talked to people that she didn't name, a city official, and no one ever figured. I mean, I have some ideas, but nobody knows who that was. Members of the police department. Oh really, I wonder what they thought. And they came away and she wrote up this Danning report, which was the basis of John Knoxen was a terrible person. He was a bully. As a kid, he stole things from the Pittsfield Country Club. Unfortunately his father was a member and they brushed in under the rug. And then as an adult he made passes at both young men and young women, and he was known not a town on business to consortative prostitutes. Now there's no proof of any of this, but you but you hear it a lot, and you know there's probably I can't you wouldn't want to vouch for any single thing, but there's a lot of trend here. And then they also bring in a Afidavid from a conductor from who worked the route from Pittsfield to Albany to Boston, which came in through Pittsfield, obviously, And he's a chatty guy. He loves gossip. Heays, yeah, I talked to people on the train from Pittsfield and they said NOx is a terrible person, and they corroborate and a lot of the things that the social workers report has turned up. And now the defense is introducing all of his terrible stuff about their client, which sounds crazy, except, of course, the alternative is to go to the electric chair, so maybe that's not so bad. They're just saying, you know, he's an awful person. How could you have ever gotten a fair trial? And that doesn't work. Next, now they've got people start coming forward who knew two of the jurors, and they said, well, long before he was expressed, after he was arrested, before he went to trial, which, of course before they were picked his jurors, they expressed the opinion that he was probably guilty. One of them did so on a car ride to his job with another fellow employee, and it was sort of a passing comment that was never repeated again, and that was sort of not very important The other guy was a guard at a defense plant that made magnesium nearby, and he couldn't stop talking about the case to his fellow guards, about, man, this guy is guilty. He ought to be hung. I add to that, that's a little different. So a out of their emotions to overturn the jury because the verdict, because the jury was prejudiced. Well, Howard Brown, who made this kind of often common on the way to work, It was one thing. But Harvey Crittenden, Chittenden was on this all the time. And three of his fellow guards came forward and you know, testified that he said all these things. And the judge said, you know, they were examined under oath. They said they didn't have any prior prejudices, And he says, what can I say? They I asked them these questions under oath, and they said, since vav good jurors. I don't know. Today it's hard to imagine Chittenden's outverse not caring more weight if someone asked for a new trial. But then that was you know, then it was pretty strict Massachusetts law. You think of Massachusetts as a progressive state as far as criminal law. It had a long way to go in nineteen forty four.
Speaker 2: You say despite this state at that time, in nineteen forty four and afterwards, that there were significant changes because of this, and we haven't mentioned that this ending, and you had alluded to it, is that there was a further movement towards taking him from death row to life imprisonment, and then they chipped away at the sentence to the point where instead of a pardon, there was a very effective compromise where he would be let out on parole and not given a full pardon, which would dismiss any criminal charges and criminal record. So there was a movement, and Margaret was active in this as well, meeting with two governors over the years to see if she had any influence in speaking to them personally. But that was the weight of her influence that she was able to get an interview with the governor, an audience with the governor for twice.
Speaker 3: The first step. The Supreme Judicial Court denied his appeal in nineteen forty six. So now it's the electric chair unless something happens. Governor really, yeah, former governor really led the charge to get the first step. You got them off the death row, get the death sentence commuted to life, and that happened, and that was not that unusual. I mean, the death penalty was a political hot potato in Massachusetts for forty more years. But in reality, from the time John Knoxon was the sentence was commuted, only three more people were electrocuted, and everybody the day were involved in, you know, straightforward vicious crimes involving firearms and a robbery and a mob rubout the death penalty. Future governors always found way to commute those sentences to life, and in the late forties, statute was passed allowing juries to recommend the life sentence instead of the electric chair in the first degree case. So in reality, commuting knox on sentence to life wasn't that unusual. But he's still in prison and the next step is to file for a pardon. And by now Governor Tobin has been what was essentially a revolving door between Republicans and Democrats equally represented in the state at the time. Tobin is out and a guy named Robert Bradford is in. He's the Governor Robert Bradford. John Doxon's family had come to the United States from England in the late sixteen hundreds. Joe Eely's family had come to the United States. His original ancestor in the United States in nine sixteen thirty six or something like that, and they were both newcomers to Robert Bradford's family. He was directly descended from William Bradford, the second governor of the Plymouth Colony who came on board in sixteen twenty with the Pilgrims. People used to refer to him after he got elected as the second governor Bradford, and the pardon is before Bradford. But there's he's the kind of guy who might want to grant the pardon because you know, the Noxon's and the Eli's are in his social strata, ancestral strata. But he's the kind of guy who couldn't either because before he became got into politics as an elected official, he worked for a governor and the governor was Joe Eally. When Eally left office, they formed the law firm together and Bradford was still on the firm's letter had he was on a leave of absence. In fact, the pardon petition to Governor Bradford came under a letter The letter had was the law firm of Elie Bradford, et cetera, etcetera, etcetera. So he's kind of hung up and he denies calls to abdicate the case and pass it on to his lieutenant governor, but he also sits on it for like months and months and months, and then he gets defeated. The swinging door swings again. He gets defeated by a Democrat. He's leaving office in January nineteen forty nine, and he comes up with this solemonic solution, and he says, I could never grant a pardon because I really don't think he's innocent. He'd been a da in his day. I don't think he's innocent. But I'll tell you what I'm going to do, and you can you can sort of feel the mercy killing breeze wopting through the executive chamber. Here. I can commute his sentence again, and I can make it. I'll make it six years to life. From Massachusetts law then now was after two thirds of your minimum sentence for a violent crime, you can be eligible for parole. Well, Doxon at that time was over four years, so he's eligible for parole. Now. The parole Board's got to come around and it's split. The chairman, Matthew Bullock says, I will never go for this. One of his other members says, I always thought he should be out. So you've got a guy in the middle named Bradley, who's Dorothy Weyman describes as a Harvard former Harvard athlete, lots of money and not so many brains. But he's in business with a social, social, and political friend of hers. There's usually not a lot of difference, and they work him over, she says in her private papers, which unfortunately we're available in a college archive. They work him over, and I'm not sure they only convinced him, but I'm sure they had something to do with it. And he jumps off the fence and jump and votes for parole. So Knoxen, after less than five years in prison, who eventually who originally was headed for the electric chair, is out, still convicted a first degree murder, still on parole the rest of his life, although no one the prole board never seems to have spent much time supervising him. To see fifty seven year old guy on Caynes is not likely to go out and rob a convenience to or murder anybody else.
Speaker 2: Yes, you go on to say at the end of this book that he lives a long life. They moved to Connecticut cottage and they for privacy and basically travel the world. And importantly Dorothy Wyman associates with them and friends with these people, especially Margaret, but also with John Noxlan as well. I want to thank you so much for coming on and talking about the electrocution of baby Lawrence, a murder that shook a New England town. For those that might want to take a look another further look. Do you have a website or do any social media I.
Speaker 3: Have a website Jamesovermeyer dot com and I am on Facebook as a regular person as Jim Overmeyer and also has James Overmeyer author.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you so much, Jim. The electrocution of Baby Lawrence, a murder that shook a New England town. Thank you so much for this interview, and you have a great evening and good night.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you,