Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So, since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families.
Speaker 1: Each Tuesday, we bring you a watch or rewatch of an older entertainment property. Yes, it used to be Wednesdays that we did this. It's now going to be Tuesdays because we have a new thing that we need to talk about on Wednesday. It's confusing, but never mind, don't worry. We'll be here. We'll explain it all. For this week of August nineteenth, we are continuing I've lost Season one, episode eight, confidence Man. So pretty easy to guess that something called confidence man. It's going to be about Sawyer, and indeed it was. It was about Big Sawyer, a slimy con artist, and it was about Little Sawyer whose family was destroyed by a slimy con artist. Because Layers, dude's got layers, but it wants to be on the show for a long time. It's got to be a lot of lakers, Yes, a.
Speaker 2: Bit like everybody else, right, Layers daddy issues.
Speaker 1: In this case, daddy who got cheated out of money, killed, killed the mom, killed himself, left the little kid pretty rough and also so bad dad and also bad, bad, bad con man whose name he's taken because he feels like a slimy low life. Yeah, he agrees with everybody. Everybody pretty much feels the same way about Sawyer, including Sawyer. What can I do to make everybody hate me as much as possible, but as much as I myself? Yes, exactly. Oh man, But this is the episode I have been remembering happened but didn't remember when where said breaks out his torturer's repertoire. Yeah, and that was rather upsetting to him as well. So he just slings his backpack on his shoulder and wanders off right into the beachfront looking for adventure on his own. And I'm thinking, don't they need all the men that they can get to kind of protect the camp and do manly things, so they can one just wander off? Is that an option? And also wasn't he got the beach or the caves? I don't think you could just just go on your own man.
Speaker 2: Also, it's you know, how long has it been since he was beaten? You know his Yes, his head was basically bashed in and he was passed out on the ground. So yeah, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: And also he seemed to know, though unconscious, that Sawyer was the one setting off the rocket and Shannon was the one setting off the rocket, even though as far as he knew, yeah, it was supposed to be. I suppose after he came to somebody came and explained that all to him. For reasons, yeah, I don't know. So, I mean I could see him thinking Sawyer did it if he didn't know that Sawyer had been doing the rocket yep, But how did they just like had a had a debris about the mission.
Speaker 2: As soon as he was as soon as he woke up. Okay, listen, here's what happened.
Speaker 1: That was that seemed like a continuity rig But what the heck, it's the island. People just know things. It's fine.
Speaker 2: Well, but wait, he came, he came to where Kate and said were didn't he because he was did Sawyer?
Speaker 1: Sawyer?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because he was going to tell Kate about Jack, but then he didn't.
Speaker 1: Said was no, I don't think Sayid was there.
Speaker 2: Then, Okay, maybe not.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure. I think it was just Kate was there. Okay, I could be wrong, in which case that's okay. But he also, I don't know.
Speaker 2: But you're you're right. It's a it's a little bit uh inconsistent.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes? And and what is Lock's thing that he's like setting up Sawyer for? Because I mean, say would have maybe tortured him for the asthma medicine, but he was really torturing him from bunking him on the head. What what is his game there?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 1: H Walk You know, I have no problem with you killing the boors. I have no problem with you getting on with your island self after your amazing transformation, right, but now you're starting to play games. Yeah, that's a little scary. That was that was like a deliberate setup. So you know he's gonna he's cooked that in our back pocket, and wondering what he's kind of wiley that one he is wiling that is exactly what he is. You look up Wiley in the dictionary, you see a picture of John Locke. But let's see, it.
Speaker 2: Does also make you want to refresh your memory on the philosopher John Locke and what his yes deal.
Speaker 1: There's more of that coming, by the way. Whether they actually named the characters in such a way that you had to go look up the philosophers, or whether they did it on purpose or it just was a happy accident, it'd gotten people thinking and writing all sorts of things about those names. And convenient that when Sawyer gives Kate the note, which has his backstory on it and allows her to eventually figure out that he wasn't the one it was written to. He wasn't the one who destroyed a family. His family was destroyed. He conveliens asks her to read out loud, oh yeah, but for really no apparent reason other than that he knows we're listening and would liked it. No it was on it, and also that he kept the envelope with it. Yet this whole time conveniently, so she can figure out the timing. Wouldn't have had a postmarket as well. Well, well, he never sent it, Oh that's true. That's true.
Speaker 2: But because I remember when he first when she first read it, and it said like, dear mister Sawyer, blah blah blah, someday I'm going to find you and give this to you, And I was like, yeah, how did this child you know, actually find him? So then ye, later you discover that he has been carrying it around with him all this time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, while he's doing just exactly the same things, the little story that we've been seeing the flashback, he sees a little boy. I mean, he's fine with destroying this husband and wife.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no problem, but he sees a little boy.
Speaker 1: And so then he leaves their money plus the money of the loan shark I believe, behind.
Speaker 2: Which yeah, maybe that's how he ended up Australia. Australia. I'll take the next plane going anywhere, even.
Speaker 1: To Mystery Island, where I shall set about making people hate my guns. What an efficient job he has done with it. I mean, even after he's been tortured, we still kind of hate him. Yeah, right up until.
Speaker 2: The story, Yeah, they didn't. In the other backstories, they've generally explained how the people got on the plane, how they came to be on this trip, and they didn't do that for him. So I guess that's flashback round two.
Speaker 1: And about this point they realized, Oh, wait a minute, we're gonna need a lot of flashbacks. Let's let's stop Russian people.
Speaker 2: Yes, we're not gonna tell everything.
Speaker 1: We need to's neander a little more with that, shall we? Uh? More of of Son and gin Gin being unreasonable seeming and Sun furtively talking to people in English and saving Shannon and her asthma attack with eucalyptus, which seems like somebody else could have thought of.
Speaker 2: But okay, all right, Well, I think Jack when he realized, he was like, oh, yeah, I'm dumb.
Speaker 1: I should have I am a man of science. I have lost touch with the elements of the earth, Yes, sickling elements of the earth. Yeah. But Jen and Michael are still sort of at each other, and I spoiler alert, which I don't think will be too too. I'm pretty sure at some point those two guys become buddies, and I'm ready for it. Let's move it along. Yeah, maybe I'm remembering it incorrectly, so it's not a spoiler, but if it was, if one of them was female, you would be going just kiss already.
Speaker 2: Yah.
Speaker 1: It's like, okay, all right, we know you hate each other's guts. Something's gonna make your friends come on moo moo mooop. So I'm waiting for that. Yeah, and I all Dieters were paying attention to the scene with Charlie and Claarreen joined the invisible peanut butter. See you just you get yourself an empty box of chocolates and you pick out a bond.
Speaker 2: Bond not satisfying, but somehow it convinced her to move to the cave.
Speaker 1: I guess I guess it did. I don't know what else could she do but be charmed. She really didn't have another option.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was awfully confident about the fact that he would be able to get her some peanut butter, some real peanut butter.
Speaker 1: Oh the figures Hurling must have some because Hurley's mouth, poor Hurling really is usually there for comic relief. Yes, but you can still hurt his feelings. Stop it.
Speaker 2: I'm glad he spoke up. He didn't just suffer in silence. He was like, dude, that's not cool. I don't accuse the fact guy affording food.
Speaker 1: He says no, and probably don't ask Sawyer because if he has it, he's not going to give it to you.
Speaker 2: Sure isn't, or he's going to tell you he has it and then not give it to you because he doesn't.
Speaker 1: Actually have right, does not actually have the inhalers, and yet he is willing to be tortured for them, although nobody would have believed him if he said he didn't have them, right, but they do at the end, I guess after he tricks Kate into kissing.
Speaker 2: Him, right, Yeah, and it wasn't just a quick peck either.
Speaker 1: Yeah. This, this Jack, Kate and Sawyer triangle is already tiresome and it just started, right, but you know, I presume it's going to keep going for many. You gotta have it many. You got to have romantic tension. So it's in the in the TV drama rule book. We don't care if they're on an there's got to be romantic tension at least is if they're at least uh, you know, at least three people. At least a triangle's worth of people. You gotta do it, so if not, you have to find a native on the island. Right, They're like triangle a triangle. O. Well, so parenting wise, Uh, that asthma stuff looked really scary. It did, Yes, they should direction to that actress is just just pretend like you're dying and your gasp just gasp over and over. I wonder if they just liked it that as as. I wonder if she was actually doing that or they just recorded somebody having an asthma right briefeard, but.
Speaker 2: Gave her lots of gray makeup to make her look like she couldn't.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, that was awful. I one time in my life, and only one time, had an asthma attack. This is the weirdest thing. And it was just like that, I could not breathe. I could not breathe. My parents took me to the emergency room by the time I got there and it passed right. And I mean I'd always like easily out of breath, but never had had an asthma attack, So I don't know what that was. I mentioned it every now and then to doctors and they go but like like I'm making it all off, like there's a letter somewhere saying I'm sorry I caused your asthma attack in person anyway. So for parents of kids with asthma, I imagine being someplace without an inhaler and no opportunity to get an nailer with terrifying right, the person with asthma, and for the person who cares for the person with asthma, which was boon in this case because he's just helpless. Yeah, unless you know how to find eucalyptus and.
Speaker 2: What to do with its.
Speaker 1: Fine, Yes, why doesn't everybody just keep some eucalyptus and forget the inhalers.
Speaker 2: But good question. But it did show that you know that sort of dependence, yes, that a kid has for a parent. You know, they might they might act like they resent you and don't want to hear what you have to say, but when they're not feeling good, Yes, it's don't leave.
Speaker 1: Me, yes exactly, Yes, parents or siblings, definitely right and also sort of depending that another person can make this right for you. You know, like he's going to go get the inhalers, it's going to be fine, right, So, and he was.
Speaker 2: Taking care of the inhalers in the first place. Because she couldn't be trusted.
Speaker 1: Oh my, that's a lot of responsibility for somebody's ability to draw a breath. Right, And little Sawyer was the victim of some well, definitely bad parenting on his mother's part, Yeah, for taking up the con man. Maybe not so good bad parenting on his father's part by falling for it and then killing his Yeah, his wife and himself. That's pretty bad. That's pretty bad parenting. That's you know, leaving. Yes, we've messed everything up. Let's just go and leave the kid completely defenseless and alone. That'll be fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I won't have any lasting effect on this.
Speaker 1: He'll be fine. I'm sure he'll nice family will take him in, and he'll have a perfectly pleasant life and not be scarred at all by this. Oh man, parents, No, yeah, think about it. Living through the humiliation of having been fleeced of all your money may be bad, but yeah, stick around for the kid, will you please?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: And also some h some consideration of the notion of punishment, you know, maybe not torture, but maybe just you know, some of the different disciplinary tactics parents may choose to use to either get the information they want or express their displeasure with somebody's behavior. I don't think too many of us are putting, you know, reads under people's fingernails. But still did not particularly work for Sawyer the punishment, and oftentimes it does not. And ye know, kiss work as it happened, I didn't get the inhalers back. But you know, sometimes you have to be a little creative. Sometimes you have to kiss the slimy, annoying guy. But from a parenting point of view, yeah, sometimes you know, a gentler approach. Perhaps sometimes you know you don't necessarily need to be doing the the hard, yelly work. And sometimes there are things behind the behavior that you do not know.
Speaker 2: Behavior is communication, right exactly.
Speaker 1: And Sawyer's been communicating pretty loudly hate me, hate me, hate me. So you're giving him what he wants when you do that, uh, and that may be not the correct response. Right. So that's a little parenting tip.
Speaker 2: And in terms of actual parenting in the show, we did not see Walt at.
Speaker 1: All, So Walt was not on it at all, So not too much of Michael, none of Walt Wald. We assume he and Vin sent her off having adventures for you know, watching mister Locke do whatever mister Locke is doing.
Speaker 2: Right, sharpening his knives, skinny animals and all that kind of wholesome stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know, it's like boy scout camp. It's all good. He's had to build a fire, right. Interestingly, I don't remember if this is a thing or not, but I'll just say it as though I were watching this the first time. Locke was saying that Sawyer had an incentive to not leave the island because he's hoarding everything and he likes that. You know who else has an incentive not to get the off the island?
Speaker 2: Yeah, John Locke, yep, the guy who can walk when he's on the.
Speaker 1: Island exactly, and the guy who is so skillfully turning the blame on somebody else and encouraging that we keep an eye on that fellaw, Yeah, keep an eye on the wall, and so we shall and say kind of swallowed it pretty she really did.
Speaker 2: I mean he was primed to he wanted to swallow it, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but but yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I see you, John Locke, I see you. I see what you're doing. It's kind of fun, but I see it, yeah, possibly because I've seen it before. Possibly just because it's not that subtled one or the other, right, but we will find out more next Tuesday, as we continue with season one, episode nine of Lost Solitary, which I believe is a flashback episode. Makes sense. He's walking, he's thinking. Yep, he's thinking back because he's walking. And we will see you back here tomorrow to discuss the finale of A Gentleman in Moscow, as well as season the season four premiere of Only Murders in the Building. They're back with guest stars Goal and Meryl Streep is back. Just saw something on Twitter where they were going to the I guess there was some sort of a premiere for the series, and she and Martin Short were holding hands and people are going they're dating, they're dating, and somebody else said, you know, at that age, sometimes holding hands just means neither one of you wants to break a hand.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 1: True, so true? Anyway possible of her rumblings about that, yeah, I have to do it, of not so we'll see, but always nice to see them both. YEA. Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links, and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com slash shop slash mamitude, but you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.