Speaker 1: Multiple people in my family clean my father, are veterans, troops that have been to war and now they're back.
Speaker 2: And think and be grateful for their service, sacrifice, love for their country, just unselfishness, all that they do for us.
Speaker 3: There are some people in this country who take extraordinary steps to provide for the freedom and security.
Speaker 2: We forget that those people exist.
Speaker 1: We know them as the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard. They call themselves soldiers, seals, rangers, airmen, sailors, devil.
Speaker 2: Dogs, and so much more.
Speaker 1: We call them fathers, brothers, sons and husbands, mothers, daughters, sisters and wives. We call them friend and neighbor. These veterans answered the call, now we answer theirs. They are the best our country has to offer, and we love them. Today, we honor them and we serve them. David Malsby is your host, and he welcomes you to this community of veterans, as together we are building the road to hope and.
Speaker 4: And you we are glad to have you along on this Sunday afternoon. Those of you listening through KPRC the nine to five oh on the am Dal, thank you for joining us on a Sunday afternoon. Those of you listening through the wonderment of technology that we call podcast thank you so much. Wherever you listen to podcasts, just look for Road to Hope Radio. If you would please do us a great favor, just hit that subscribe button. It'll automatically download each and every week when the new show is posted on the podcast machines. We are fans, particularly of the iHeart app, but wherever you listen to podcasts, super Road to Hope Radio and appreciate you not only listening but sharing. You never know who might who might come in contact with that needs and could use a little bit of hope and information about the PTSD Foundation of America, Camp Hope and all things that we do in support of our veterans and their families as they deal with combat related post traumatic stress. Big thank you to our show sponsors allows this opportunity to spend little time with you each and every week. Our great friends at A Cory ac O, RII A, Corey Diamond and Design Billion Connie Stagner are going to take great care of you and it's time to get that something special for someone special. Two A one four eight two forty seven fifty five two eight one four A two forty seven fifty five A Corey acourid And because well we all have the oops moments Oops Steam dot com two eight one eight two two zero five six' one for all the full boring grout tile grout that needs to be, clean the h the ac venta vents that need to be cleaned out from time to, Time Oops steam dot. Com and when you're ready to make that purchase for where you want to have your dream home, Built Republic Grand ranch dot. Com Republic Grand ranch dot com just north Of, houston short little, ride beautiful, place beautiful spot can be surrounded by people that, well a lot of veterans that live out, there a lot of law enforcement first responders live out. There it's a great, community it's a great, location absolutely stunningly. Beautiful Republic Grand ranch Dot. Com all, RIGHT i got a couple of combat that's in here with us. Today i've Got max Back reintroduce, yourself. Sir my name Is Robert, McLean but he called Me mac at the. Camp i'm a lead mentor At Camp, hope and we bought a new individual here this week to go ahead and share this life story very. Cool and you SERVED.
Speaker 5: I served in The Gold war Era Panami. Army, Yes i'm, sorry eighty second. Airborn all, right very, Cool all up to you, now grand.
Speaker 2: Introduction my name Is Patrick fisher From Leake, City. TEXAS i served in The United States army The cavalry from twenty nine to twenty. Twenty and you. DEPLOYED i Deployed, Afghanistan, iraq And South.
Speaker 4: Korea, Okay so from Leak, City so that is not familiar in The houston, area just a short little. Drive, yeah, yeah so in the, area Greater houston. Area so why'd you why'd you decide to join the?
Speaker 2: Army kind of got out of high school and didn't re have a plan and ended up kind, of uh ended up being the best thing for me to go to the. Army and ONCE i got, IN I i knew that that's WHAT i was made. For?
Speaker 4: Gotcha so high school? Anything? Yeah you like the star athlete? There high?
Speaker 2: SCHOOL i was on the wrestling. Team, oh, okay they're, good and uh that definitely got me. Prepared uh, Physically i've been physically active all my life rate, baseball, soccer, UH, bmx bike racing did that for a. While that was a lot of fun and, yeah being joining the, army it was like all the physical stuff was pretty. Easy.
Speaker 4: Yeah never messed with the. WRESTLER i JUST i learned that very early. Life my youngest brother is seven years older THAN i, am and he was all state In oklahoma and he loved to practice on. Me it never ended well for me. Ever. Uh, yeah never missed with a. Wrestler so why the army is opposed to anything?
Speaker 2: Else, well, yeah just my father took me to the recruiter AND i was in there talking with, them AND i think there was a moment WHERE i seen A navy recruiter outside and she was, like, yeah you can join The navy. Seals, Uh AND i was you, KNOW i thought about, it BUT i didn't want. TO i wanted to do. SOMETHING i wanted to be on the. GROUND i wanted to you, know A navy seal sounded pretty, cool BUT i didn't want to not make it and then be on a. Boat. YEAH i ended up in The. CAVALRY i ended up going To basic where my dad Went, basic and that was kind of. Cool whenever he came and visited, ME i was able to show him where the the old barracks. Was, uh it was actually the same barracks in the movie. Stripes, yeah that's WHERE i did some training out. There that's where he was. At uh so that was kind of. Cool, yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 4: Uh for any information about our ORGANIZATION PTSD usa dot, org just think Post Traumatic Stress DISORDER ptsd US a dot. Org on social, media we'd love for you to give us a follow Uh FACEBOOK. X we ARE ptsd US A PTSD u S a both On facebook and on THE x machine formerly known As, twitter and On. INSTAGRAM Ptsd foundation Of america thanks for sticking with us through this quick commercial.
Speaker 6: Break we'll be right back with more road To Hope, radio and we're welcome you, back wrote To Hope.
Speaker 2: Radio glad to have you.
Speaker 4: Along, uh got a couple of combat vets in. Here, mac how you?
Speaker 2: In?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Ok i'm, sorry can you hear?
Speaker 4: It there we?
Speaker 3: Go, okay here we.
Speaker 5: Go oh, Yeah i've been well. Started thank you for asking just uh taking in this nice winter that's supposed to.
Speaker 4: Be but he's just. Nice what this winter you used to get this stuff? Together you? Know, uh it's eighty degrees or something about eighty.
Speaker 5: Supposed to be once a, time. Sir what it's supposed to be. Winter I'm i'm from you, Know east. Cold, yeah snows for.
Speaker 4: Postcards, okay so, yeah, yeah that's why you're gonna HAVE mani, right, yeah let's just no thank. YOU i don't want to shovel, it scrape it off the windshield.
Speaker 3: Or just a little.
Speaker 4: SIDEWALK i don't know what You're oh NO i. DO i got to do that WHEN i was a, Kid, like no, more thank?
Speaker 2: You what?
Speaker 4: Correction THEN i miss it and you're free to miss. It, Okay, yes that's completely.
Speaker 5: Fine i'll send you a letter from post From. Alaska, nope only In. July, Beautiful, yes absolutely.
Speaker 4: Stunning. Yeah. Absolutely how long have you been in the, army, Mat.
Speaker 5: I've been going on twenty, years twenty plus two.
Speaker 4: Thousand you look back on it, now all these years, later how do you feel about your time in The. ARMY i enjoyed. IT i really enjoyed, myself even a bad.
Speaker 5: Time so good in a sense because you grew, up you, know it helped me grow up, anywhere coming from WHERE i come. From so but NOW i see a lot of damage that was done THAT i still harbored. Today AND i should have, known because my father went through the same thing when he got out Of, vietnam out the military, then and he showed a lot of damaged then as me being a kid to watch, it so it pretty much effected, me affects anybody, thing.
Speaker 4: Difinitely. Yeah you, know through the years of doing what we, do met an awful lot of the children and our, adults but the children Of vietnam, vets and that was prior to the diagnosis OF. Ptsd they didn't use that term back. Then it's not a new, issue but the new. Terminology but we know from Our vietnam veteran population when they came, home they were struggling big. Time and one because of the political ongoings in the nation at that time and all the rioting and all that stuff that came along With. VIETNAM a lot of the guys when they came home didn't want anybody to know that they'd, served and sure didn't go to THE, va and THE va wasn't any help even if they did. Go they just they had no clue what to do with those. Guys and so we have this SECONDARY, ptsd which is an actual. Diagnosis but, many AS i talked to many now adult children Of vietnam. Vets now that they've heard the TERM ptsd and have kind of become familiar with what it actually is and what it looks, like they look back and, say that's exactly what was going on in my. Home your, story that's very much my. Story and any thing about announce being. Addressed well because my, father oh my, god AND i emulated, that you, Know and NOW i learned to respect my father a little bit more to understand what he was going, through and that's why he had a problem reintegrating with family and so AND i see myself in this error. Too my mother to this day never agreed with the. Military reason why is the same? Thing And i'm third generation and she could see her baby, son you know it's that. Way so, yeah But i'm glad it's being addressed.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: Sure you, know in The vietnam era, one THE va wasn't tracking suicides at. ALL i don't think they did that till two thousand and two thousand and. One somewhere in there they started trying to track. It so when you start looking at statistics, data what do we know about The vietnam veteran? Population and it's impossible to get even a consensus on what's believed to be the suicide rate amongst Our vietnam. Vets and, again if you're not even trying to track it from we supposedly began ur and volve military militarily in nineteen sixty, five so if you go sixty five to seventy, three they weren't tracking it. Then then they didn't track it from seventy three TILL i think it was two, thousand so there's another twenty something, years so you got over thirty years of you, know men and women we were, losing but there was no tracking of, it so there was no way to go. BACK i, mean there is a, WAY i, guess but it would be nigh. Impossible and then tracking it from that point to. This but when you look back on the fifty plus years of what that would be and now sixty since the beginning of our involvement militarily In, vietnam there's no way to. Know so WHEN i started looking it up on The google machine trying to figure it, out it's so varied on what people assume to be the, number but one of the numbers THAT i saw that it's difficult to shock me anymore because we've been doing this long enough and this heard so many stories it's hard to shock. Me but one report THAT i saw it was staggering to. Me and it stated that amongst The vietnam veteran, population they believe the number to be eight to ten times the number of men who were killed in. Action so that's fifty eight thousand roughly that were killed In. Vietnam if the eight to ten number is, right that's a half a million people That i've never heard anything like. That WHAT i had heard was probably eight to nine years. Old there was some talk at the time there have been two hundred and fifty thousand who had committed. Suicide was still as that's four to, one, yeah but eight and ten to one that that's THAT'S i don't even know what to say about.
Speaker 2: That what is it to? Say?
Speaker 4: Really and you, know It's, vietnam, right you just you just hear the, word and you, know all these images come to. Mind AND i was just a, KID i mean a child when this was going, on and really ALL i remember of it at the, time this was the later part Of. Vietnam it was JUST i Remember Walter cronkite and THE Cbs Evening news and there'd being a, map you, know as of the, background and you talk about what was had gone on the day before In vietnam and then the, protests WHICH i again i'm a. CHILD i had no comprehension of what that was all about or what was going on at the. Time but you look back at it now through the lens of, history and you see what happened In vietnam and so many involved in drug use while they were. There then what happened when they came, home being spat, on called baby killers and all this nonsense that happened when they came. Home, like that's trauma on Top we got layered. Trauma now they're packing trauma on top of trauma on top of. Trauma and it's no. Wonder whatever the number, IS i don't, know And i'm not in a fight with anybody. Ever what the number, IS i know it's. High but whatever the number, is it's inexcusable what our nation did and what our nation did not, do and how we did not take care of people like your. Dad it's so.
Speaker 5: Unfortunate and think about. IT i remember taking my, dad, well all, right my mother taking my dad back to the airport when he's going to do a, service second tour In, vietnam and he was spitting that him before he got on the, plane just when we had to walk on the tarmat to get to the, plane and the actually spit on. Him as a, KID i couldn't understand, that you. Know and then AS i grow, OLDER i. See so it was harder WHEN i went through the service BECAUSE i didn't expect people period be. Sure it's like NOW i grew up into that, mindset this can happen to.
Speaker 4: Me so he did a second. Tour he did a Second that's rare error there for The vietnam. Guys. Man all, right we don't take a quick newsbreak for those of you listening ON. Kprc when we come, back we'll get jumped back into the story With patrick and hear about his time in the military and coming back. Home so we'll be back with More road To hope rade him just a Moment, andy were welcome you Back road To HOPE. Radyo glad to have you with. Us reminder where if you listen to, podcasts just look For road To Hope. Radio if you will please hit that subscribe, Button we truly do appreciate it when you do. That it's all, free cost you absolutely, nothing and after you, LISTEN i really would appreciate it if you would share it with your, network your, friends your, coworkers you're a fellow church, members your fellow, oritarians whoever share. It we need to get the word out. Well we talked a lot about what goes on in our military, community our veteran community and their families and dealing with the reintegration coming home from war and feeling, disconnected and we want to. Help we can. Help we've got a proven program that works and it's all absolutely, free so no, cost so you don't have to worry about the expense. Barrier we've removed that we will will do everything we possibly can to help you or your veteran, friend loved, one whatever it may. Be peer to. Peer faith based christ centered doesn't mean you have to believe any particular or follow any particular. Faith it's That's it's not some kind of requirement, there but it's the basis of what we do because most everybody that comes into our, program at some point in time in their life had a faith system that they cling to and got it completely smashed while they dealt with the trauma of, war and we just want to help them. Reconnect we have to ask the question where Was? God because it's a question that's one of the most natural questions you ask of any kind of. Trauma how does how does this? Happen if there's A? God so we we don't answer that question for. You we just walked through the process of you coming to your own. Conclusion but it is peer to. Peer so that's one veteran who's come through the, program Like mac turned around helping the next veteran Like patrick come come into the program and help change the trajectory of their. Life and at the end of the, day that's what we're looking to. Do we want to put you on a better. Path So patrick must talk just a minute about your. Time you Were Afghanistan. Interacks so you got to visit both, Countries, yes neither, one by the, way on my bucket, list just so you, know not not PLACES i can particularly care to go.
Speaker 2: See, yeah there's a lot of a lot of, Sand iraq and. Desert afghanistan was a little bit, different had more trees and kind of mountains and. Water BUT i don't, KNOW i didn't really mind. IT i kind OF i really enjoyed it WHENEVER i was. There what we were, doing, uh, well a lot of times we did we did ko like key leader. Engagements we would go out to the Local afghan Or iraq army and police and we'd speak with them and train them, up train them, up and we would, go you, know we would go in a convoy with them and be a part of their mission and vice. Versa we take them with us and kind of just partner partner with. Them and uh sometimes we would you, know go to go to their place and eat and uh talk to the people and really try to, help you, know just help help them as much as we. Could and. Uh, yeah In iraq we had we had a partnership with The peshmrga they Were Kurdish Kurdish army and then The Iraqi, army and we would go out and do patrols with a platoon of both of.
Speaker 4: Them.
Speaker 2: Uh and that was pretty cool being able to work and you, know sometimes we would if we were doing a foot, patrol we would go with you, know soldiers from The kurdish side and The iraqi side BECAUSE i guess they were sort of at. Odds they didn't like each. OTHER i Think saddam pushed out The kurdish people and weren't very nice to, them but we were allies with, them and uh it was interesting being able to work with both of them and kind of see how that played. Out and there was a time where we get a phone call from THE peschemrga there was something going. On we get out there and there was a whole they Had Iraqi army CAPTURED peschemrga lieutenant and so they come and had their headquarters surrounded and we show up and kind of keep them from blowing each other. Up and, uh, yeah.
Speaker 4: Gotcha obviously your camp. Hope so there's A ptsd diagnosis in there. Somewhere, yes is that basically stem from a? Event multiple? Events the whole? Shebang where did that come?
Speaker 2: From? Yeah the whole? Shebang, uh pretty. MUCH i remember coming home From iraq on mid tour leave and just feeling, overly you, know guarded about, everything, watchful, like oh, man you, KNOW i have to check check all the corners and check you, know make sure that, UH i don't, know, guess looking for the enemy EVERYWHERE i. Went and, uh, yeah years, later BEFORE i started getting out of the, MILITARY i realized WHAT ptsd, was AND i started learning about, it AND i was, like, wow a lot of these Things i've, experienced you, know, Firsthand AND i never, thought, OH i HAVE ptsd UNTIL i started really learning about. It and. Mhm the MORE i learned, it the more it helped me realize the effects of it and what it kind of what it, did and how to uh move move past it WHERE i can WHERE i. Could, so so like you went looking for the answers a little, Bit, Yeah i've ALWAYS i Mean i've always been a person to look for the answers and every. Everything. Uh but WHENEVER i, did, YEAH i, was, HEY i found, something you, KNOW i found a piece of information that benefited.
Speaker 4: Me, well when you when you started realizing that seeing that that, information did you go to THE via or what did you?
Speaker 2: DO i was ACTUALLY i was in the army AND i had kind of gotten to a point WHERE i was severely stressed AND i was going to and uh at that time WHERE i was, at they called it behavioral. HEALTH uh talked to psychiatrists and, YEAH i was. STRESSED i was stressed about it the whole.
Speaker 4: Time so did they diagnose you or was it? Later?
Speaker 2: Yes they WHENEVER i was going through THAT i was diagnosed WITH ptsd and that was AS i was getting out of the. Military SO i MEAN i had a like a medical discharged.
Speaker 4: As as you go to THE va when you got out of The.
Speaker 2: Army EVENTUALLY i. DID i got h, SERVICE i got service connected BEFORE i got out or WHILE i was getting. Out that was an option they gave. Me and, YEAH i wasn't REALLY i wasn't really prepared for. IT i had all these appointments AND i was during twenty TWENTY covid and all, that and it was, LIKE i don't, know it was kind of. Wild it was like you got to come to these appointments and do all these, things but we're only gonna be at work for you, know two days a week or something or you. Know it was like a lot of stuff was. Canceled and but, YEAH i went to one appointment at the hospital On Fort riley and it was like A va representative and the guy was, Like, hey what has all hurt on you since you've been in the. Army SO i had that moment right just to think about, it and was, like, wow you, know eleven and a half years all right old, on let me. Think and then that was My that was the point WHERE i got you, know service. Connected get in, out, okay, yeah all, right just uh ask everybody to get your phone. Out put this phone number in your. Phone it is our Combat Trauma support. Line you can call. ANYTIME a combat veteran's going to answer the. Phone eight seven seven seven one seven seventy eight seventy. Three you may think you'll never need, it but you may come across somebody who might need. It please put this in your phone eight seven seven seven one seven seventy eight seventy. THREE a combat vet is going to answer the. Phone all, Right we're gonna take a clue break of right back with more Of road To Hope radio and were welcome back to The road To Hope radio talking with the mac AND I States army That patrick AND I States army That.
Speaker 4: Patrick caun talk about getting in the medical. Discharge when was that while youre was? That? Okay so you're out in twenty, twenty which, obviously, uh just getting out of the, army which you've been in for how long.
Speaker 2: Eleven, years seven, months twenty two.
Speaker 4: Days, yeah so that's basically all you knew is you, know someone growing up into manhood that's all you knew was the, army, right and you're jumping out and what IT i mean that in and of itself is one. Thing adding it in the middle OF covid that's a whole nother.
Speaker 2: Deal, yeah it. Was it was. Strange the whole, world you, know, changes AND i had it was having a, kid you, know AS i was getting, out throw that in there and figure out. Life it was kind of LIKE i had a class on acceptance. Earlier that kind of made me think about you, know it was really hard to. Accept. Uh life was. Different, uh you, KNOW i had to be a different. Person it was kind of, like, uh getting getting trained to be a, civilian almost like going going to war with no with no. Training uh it's like they trained us up go to, war but coming, out it's like getting out going to war with no. Training. Uh, YEAH i wasn't.
Speaker 4: Prepared and one of the worst things really ABOUT code was the whole isolation. Thing one of the tailtale. Signs one of the hey you're in deep trouble WITH ptsd has proven to be the. Isolation. Uh once someone gets into the point of, isolating there's there should be red flags sirens going off everywhere. Everybody somebody needs to step. In they're going to become a statistic on the isolation things they once you're, there it's a very dark. Place so you're coming out of the, military then you're going into a situation where just trying to learn how to live life as an adult and where you're not being told everything and supplied everything.
Speaker 1: And.
Speaker 4: Isolate like that's about as bad of a concoction that you CAN i can think. Of so you've been. Diagnosed we haven't talked about, this but you also have traumatic brain. Injurgues all, right, yeah, right so there's a lot going, on right what what would You what did you? Do how did you try to?
Speaker 2: COPE i just try to do the BEST i BEST i could WHERE i was, at and uh get help WHERE i. Could AND i don't, KNOW i was still in the, mindset uh you, know a different, mindset and uh, YEAH i JUST i kind of made made some friends WHERE i was, at and, they you, know weren't the, best uh probably the best influences in some. Cases and uh, yeah it seemed LIKE i was helping every everybody else and what they were. Doing AND i would go work for different people and try to you, KNOW i was, like, WELL i need, work you, KNOW i need to go figure, out you, know some, skills and you, KNOW i kind of took. It it was, like, well even IF i don't get, paid you, Know i'll still go work and. Learn and, yeah that was really. EXHAUSTING i was always behind or not able to catch up on the bills or having to you, know skip a, bill AND i, know just kind of everything slowly eroded.
Speaker 4: Away did you eventually go to THE va?
Speaker 2: Eventually? Yes why why'd you do?
Speaker 3: That?
Speaker 2: Well my. Parents my parents came and helped me big. Time but whenever they, did they brought me back here to south Of, Houston League, city AND i felt LIKE i still had unfinished things in the, world you. KNOW i. WAS i was in a, relationship AND i didn't realize yet that WHAT i was doing wasn't. WORKING i THOUGHT i could still go back out there and make everything. Right and eventually it was LIKE i was, homeless, hungry, uh been in jail a few times and kind of had my had to have my rights taken away really and at that point it was either walk back into the town WHERE i was at on foot or go to THE. Va AND i went to THE va and checked in and went, yeah they went, like uh it was this was In, Topeka kansas and went to the psych ward and then from, there, uh they made a. Recommendation DID i go to a program Called? Startup this was In Kansas. City SO i went to that and it was really. GOOD i started feeling better and then from THERE i went to a domicillary and THEN i got my own. Place AFTER i got out of, there Hud vash helped me get an apartment and THEN i was able to GET i got custody of my son by doing, that AND i was kind of in a point then where in my HEAD i was, like, OH i need to be. WORKING i need to be. Working but it's worked out to. Be you, Know i'm medically retired And i've gotten more out of going and getting help and being a part of this. Program how did you hear about this? PROGRAM i think from The Debate Medical. Center, yeah my stepmom and my father had found this the information for the. Program and when did you get? Here november, fifth twenty twenty, Four SO.
Speaker 4: I been here for a few. Months. Now what what's changing for? You if? Anything hopefully something's. Changing, Well i've.
Speaker 2: Kind of learned a lot more about. Religion kind of brought me back to my, faith kind of learning to deal with some of the things that bother. Me, uh some of the things that BEFORE i might not have even known what they. Were but those, things you, know, unchecked eventually turn into anger and some of this that's one of the Things i've been dealing. With. Uh learning some coping, skills doing some deep breathing and, meditation practicing, gratitude practicing positive, affirmations and learning to communicate, better be more assertive and.
Speaker 4: Your famous and in contact with You baylor And.
Speaker 2: Kemp, yes, yeah my dad brings my son to see me every. Weekend.
Speaker 4: Fantastic, well keep keep keep doing the. WORK i know it can be very frustrating of. Times keep doing the. Work the end, Result, well you'll be glad you. Did AM i, Right, mike you did? It oh, yes, SIR i am tore grateful to Have you didn't like it for, us but well you know who. Would it's a lot of. Work, yes it is a lot of work and not pleasant work. Either he thank you for. Listening, Again we truly do appreciate wherever you listen to, podcasts downloading that and sharing that with your. Friends, enemies, neighbors former, neighbors. Whoever we need to get the word. Out we can't afford to continue losing our, veterans so please Share road To Hope radio wherever you. Listen thanks again for joining. Us we do look forward to being with you again next week for more Of road To Hope.
Speaker 3: Radio
Speaker 2: Bembers the number