Speaker 1: H Wow, Wow Wow.
Speaker 2: I made you, Mama, I made it.
Speaker 3: M It is Thursday, February sixth, twenty and twenty five.
Speaker 2: This is Sparta.
Speaker 3: I'm Hot, Jason Straight Woe Alone, my co hosts The Man, The mid The Legends, Cedric Swerve.
Speaker 4: And Irvin he Go Straight Straight. I gotta teach you this this weekend. You got to learn how to get your swerve on. Okay, hit him with this.
Speaker 1: And you gonna make.
Speaker 3: Hey, hey, it's gonna be a big weekend, the biggest show going on right here, right now. This is your first time. We want to welcome to the show. This is not thank you for your loyalty. Please hit the like and subscribe. Buttons helps a whole lot of nothing costs you a thing. And let us know where you're watching from. We already know Alohaw Woody is in the chat. We got McKenny Texas in the house doing it real, Big Land seen always in the house. Thank you guys for being here, and you know, follow some of all of our social media platforms at This is Sparta.
Speaker 2: Him as Hugh got a jam packed show today. Swerve. How you feeling, oh Man? Straight?
Speaker 1: Feel good? Look good? Do the podcast Good.
Speaker 3: Right, we got a big dank. Then we gotta get ready to come up to East Land sing.
Speaker 1: Just to oay you hold on straight. That's that's my thing.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: I was talking to the producer and he lives in Michigan, and I say, I say, Sean, how cold it is gray today? And and and in Tampa it was eighty one. Oh man, you know what he say, Swerve when you land, its gonna be twenty seven.
Speaker 3: I say, damn, hey, that's the high the low. It's gonna be in like the teens or something.
Speaker 1: Man, So can you go from eighty one to twenty seven.
Speaker 3: Just like that two and a half hours. It's gonna tak but it's gonna be It's gonna be warm inside. You know that we got high. He even got basketball, and we got a live event. Let's put that up right here just because we're gonna promote this big Swerve and Straight and all the rest of the crew will be at mash with so many Misschigan State athletes.
Speaker 2: I mean, we got a lot of RSVPs. Some of the biggest.
Speaker 3: Stars in on campus will be in attendance for this twenty one of the live podcast event, excl some guests obviously, contest giveaways, great foods and drinks, all kinds of stuff, and swerve are gonna be in full effect.
Speaker 2: That's all I know.
Speaker 4: My mama used to say, say it when you go over them people house don't ack a donkey.
Speaker 1: Guess what. She can't tell me what to do now, So I'm like wonky. Hey, but I would like for all.
Speaker 3: These guys man with Sean Marine, Brad travel, just share it.
Speaker 2: I want I want all the love, man.
Speaker 4: I want to take a group picture and just rippers this is farther m messu and just and put that at the beginning. Okay, it's all about the fans and the support. You know what I'm saying, Tap me on my shoulder, saft word. Hey man, I see you on Tuesday and Thursday. Then I'm gonna ask you a question to see if you really be listening and take a picture.
Speaker 1: Didn't put it on the on the show.
Speaker 2: That's right. People don't know that intro with you screaming.
Speaker 3: That was from the last live event that we did after a spring football game over at Fieldhouse. This is now doing something with Mash. It's gonna be fun. A lot of people there are a lot of excitement. And we're gonna watch a hockey game too against the school down the road. Michigan State's gonna be playing against Michigan twice. You're gonna be at the game in mon on Tomorrow night. It's the basketball game on Saturday when is old no doubt time Bobby Knight for that.
Speaker 2: Big ten record.
Speaker 3: And then we're going to mash on Saturday night, and anybody who's around please jam to place up. It's gonna be fun. Before we get into our jam packs show. We got special yesterday. We got a huge recruiting blitz that we got to go through the signing day. There was a National Signing Day yesterday. By the way, we gotta get to that.
Speaker 1: And you know, I think about that sign of day straight. It's so quiet.
Speaker 4: It didn't get the It ain't give me the word with vocabulary where I'm working on my vocal. I'm not on your level yet, but give me the It didn't give me.
Speaker 1: The tension.
Speaker 4: Because the tension like it gave Early Signing Day. Early Signing Day, I mean it was on ESPN two. It was all on Twitter day about time by time, so I guess all the big names and all that sign but then you kind of forget about So I look at it like like, we had a lot of people signed.
Speaker 3: Do that mean they not on the level of the other guys? No, no, no, no, no, not at all. I think that you know, we're gonna get into that. And you said they had four sign these yesterday. I mean the nice class rounding out the class. But there was some big names that signed around, and you look for quality players. We're gonna get into that. We've got look man recruiting. When we talked recruiting, but now's who brings guys like Corey Edwards, Corey Robinson the Future for two four to seven Sports, and Ron big Move Armstrong for Spartan mag you know former sex now no form of Spartan dog. He has a Spartan dog. So look, we're gonna talk to them about it because they this is what they breathe. They live and breathe recruiting. We talk about it, they are about it, and we all gonna answer questions.
Speaker 2: If you have any questions, be ready to have them in the chat. Here.
Speaker 3: The first these message from our friends over at gray Matter Exchange matters.
Speaker 6: Just like a bad player can cost your team the game Overpaying for shipping can cost your business, Gray matter, exchange your all star team for shipping savings will help you score big with up to thirty percent savings on your ups and FedEx costs.
Speaker 2: Like that QR code there.
Speaker 3: Gotta get that good evening, Maureen, listen and Spartan fan. Trevor's in the house, Brad Gray. I mean, there's a lot of people in the house tonight getting ready for this. But listen, we got to get into a couple of things right now. Missisi State right now is facing Arizona out there in Arizona in Tucson.
Speaker 2: As a matter of facts, where it's the season opener.
Speaker 3: Uh, it's gonna be at the Candrea Classic, kicking things off with a double header against number sixteen Arizona kicked off about an hour ago.
Speaker 4: So we starting off with the number sixteen rate team in the country right in their hometown. Right Ooh, I don't want my babies to go out there, not not the fame we've been practiced inside.
Speaker 2: Come on, yeah, man, we're gonna talk to you about that.
Speaker 1: Why we play.
Speaker 4: The girl scouts of you know what I'm saying, the little lead, Why we got to jump out there and the fire so fast.
Speaker 2: Baptism by fires, that's what they want.
Speaker 4: To do, deaptize me. I want to put the ass like these little kids doing them to Pop Warner. Hey, imagine you you lost the game and you walk across shaking hands, and somebody got a built and then making Joey trying to tell me, iut what built day is?
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, no, no, yeah, going to jail.
Speaker 2: No no, ain't nobody.
Speaker 1: But you're doing.
Speaker 3: Especially down in Miami. They ain't County Brown County Park. You can't won the game. Game over.
Speaker 4: They walk across the shake hand, got bilps in their head telling about built days.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, we got we gotta slow that down.
Speaker 3: You gotta go down there and keep your babies out of jail, because that ain't right right there, you know, swear you know what this month is, right?
Speaker 2: Black History Month?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 3: Black History Month is the month of February. Yesterday, we celebrated something. In addition to Black History Month, we celebrated National Girls and Women's in Sports Day. Women in sports continue to break barriers and inspire the next generation.
Speaker 2: Swerve today and every day.
Speaker 3: We're proud to celebrate our women's student athletes and staff special day for special ways.
Speaker 4: So I'm gonna be I'm gonna be real professional for Kyrie and Sean. Right, I just want to salute all the ladies. I'm a fan of women's sports. I mean, I watch gymnastics. I watch you see you see my education on softball. Two days ago, I watched women basketball. Now, I mean, I just don't want to watch. I watched women football. But it's the one where they.
Speaker 2: Were come up, man, here we go, here we go. Forget it that.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying I support it. That's all, you know. I actually saw one live and I know, listen, we love all women in sports and in general in general, we do.
Speaker 4: So Mari, I hope that was I mean, Carrie Cayrie worked backstay. I hope that was good. I didn't say anything, you know, I just wanted, you know, women's sports.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, man, you know, speaking of women's sports and some of your babies.
Speaker 2: Right here, small forward, big again packed.
Speaker 3: Michigan State's women's basketball Grace Van Slewton is one of ten candidates for the Cheryl Miller a ward handed out angling to the nation's top small four.
Speaker 1: All I can say is beasts.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, beasts.
Speaker 4: I mean inside game, midge ring jumper defense, Oh beast an acompliment my other two nieces where they don't have to do so much because we got a beast right here. And number four is a beast too. That's why I can't wait to the tournament. I hope by the tournament times grade. Mama Hall, I have my blanket and I can put my blanket on like like how the people be at the games.
Speaker 1: But I ain't got it.
Speaker 3: Mama Hall will have a bank blanket at the event on Saturday. The blanket will be there, but not for you, Swerve, It's for somebody else. Sorry, but it will be there along with George. Jordan's delivering the thing.
Speaker 1: Mama.
Speaker 2: She ain't gonna be able to make it to this one. She's coming to the next one.
Speaker 4: You know what, I may slap the shit out of No. I saw him, I saw him working night like he done got I know Jordan got a couple more abs.
Speaker 2: Yeah he got small abs.
Speaker 4: Now, I've thought about slapping this shit out, but I ain't gonna do it. No, No, he did.
Speaker 2: Real Now that's a that's a that's a real linebacker right there.
Speaker 3: You better watch your ass all right, listen, we gotta keep it moving here because we got to bring on our presonal guests. But right now, we still got to talk about the fabulous freshman from Michigan State Tennis, Matthew Forbes I do this has been named victim Freshman of the Week SWERVE after earning a pair of single victories this past week, including a ranked win.
Speaker 1: But my only question to you do is shock you?
Speaker 4: No, thank you, don't shock you.
Speaker 1: He's gonna be.
Speaker 4: He's gonna be the name and take the control of the lead like my nephew, Oh is leading away because there's three ways you learn, watching, listen, and doing. And he got a hell of a leader, a hell of a player in front of him, and he's already a hell of a athlete.
Speaker 1: You know what that means.
Speaker 4: We're gonna have another big time player, just like Oh walk Away. And we got the kid that's from what North Carolina?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's him, that's him.
Speaker 1: Come on, I know I got CTV, but boy, come.
Speaker 2: On, Matt Forbes.
Speaker 3: Do we had a video of him so people can for the people in the back, do we have that.
Speaker 1: I do this shit? I do this shit.
Speaker 3: H yeah, man, come on, man, how you cannot love the Spartans.
Speaker 1: Hey just full of shit.
Speaker 3: We taking ship, kicking downdoors hey man, speaking of kitting you down doors and taking shit. We gotta talk about this next generation of Spartan Dogs that just got signed and they put the bow on the class just yesterday. I'm gonna talk to our special guests after these message from our friends over at ihap uh huh.
Speaker 8: Six dollars never tasted so good. I Hop's breakfast face combo is now just six dollars during i op's world famous buttermilk pancakes, Chrispy Hickory smoke bacon, and two eggs cook to order your way, all for just six bucks. Part of the new six dollars house.
Speaker 3: Swave's menu swerve Hey pancakes, cold weather go along with recruiting in Michigan State football specifically, and we talk about recruiting in Michigan's and football. We got to bring on the experts, baby, that's all we do. We bringing a c rob called Corey Robinson two four seventh Sports and Ron Armstrong call him big move baby from Spartan mag joins.
Speaker 2: This is Sparta, big dog.
Speaker 3: What's up, Cory see rup Jay straight.
Speaker 5: What's going on?
Speaker 2: Baby?
Speaker 3: Hey man, I know you've been dealing with some technical difficulties out.
Speaker 2: There in these lands.
Speaker 3: And I heard they hit some power line and knocked all power out. But you found a way. That's what Spartan dogs do, baby.
Speaker 4: S Yes, sir, I hope they're not the power I had the cigar lambs, because that's that I would be kissed off the power.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna go over there. I'ma go over there with a generator. Make sure you're good.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: Hey, guys, look, I know you guys have been following this in depth mission state football recruiting at a high level. You know, when you look at this class and what they were able to do. This is the second class in this particular staff coming here last year with not much runway.
Speaker 2: They didn't have a lot of time to get things together.
Speaker 3: And they were able to u secure guys like Nick Marsh who had a huge impact in his first year this year.
Speaker 2: Just yesterday. Obviously gonna get into the kids to sign early on. But yesterday they were four.
Speaker 3: Signees if I'm not mistaken, Uh, three of them from one school, Orchard Lake Saint Mary's, the other from Groves Local kids they're able to sign. When you look at this class, and I'll start with you, Corey, when you look at guys like Nick Hardy from Groves, what's your opinion on the acquisition of these particular athletes? Nick Hardy right here, wide receiver.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so he's a preferred walk on that they added. He turned down scholarship offers from four or five other schools, just the kind of you know, smaller schools, but come to Michigan State, learn from coach Hopkins, and you know, play at the biggest level, so kind of achieve his dream. So he's betting on himself to come here and get developed. So yeah, he's a good in state edition who has a chance to you know, show what he can do and maybe work his way into playing group and scholarships and all that stuff.
Speaker 10: So so yeah, he was.
Speaker 7: Definitely a solid edition.
Speaker 9: Comes from a program that's been winning a lot of football games lately, so really solid ad there.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, you're talking about Grows. They went to the semi finals with not Mistaken this year.
Speaker 9: Yeah yeah, and then they were good the year before too, they and had that big run well and then Avery Gatch were there and a.
Speaker 7: Couple other guys.
Speaker 9: So you get that strong senior class that kind and he was a big part of it.
Speaker 10: So mm hm.
Speaker 3: So you know, talking about the Orchard Late Saint Mary's crew, I think there's a total of five players that signed in Misign State, three of them yesterday.
Speaker 2: Big move.
Speaker 3: You know, what do you know about these guys, Bryce and Williams, Antonio Johnson and Darren Jones Jr.
Speaker 5: I think, uh, you know, as Corey talked about, they come from winning culture. You know, good football players, good ads, I think, decent ads, and you'll kind of go along with can you guys me? Okay, yeah, okay, perfect. I think it just goes along with with the trend I'm seeing is that we're just getting guys that have just been you know, good football players produced at they're at the level they're on, and just coming them up here and developing them and asking us asking them to do things we already know they can do. So I like the class. I think there's some good foundational pieces and we're just kind of building that bottom roster up, the ross up from the bottom up, you know, just getting good football players in here order. Lake Saint Mary's is a good program. All the kids are well coached, They come prepared. So I'm excited for that group.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: You know, you talk about what they were able to do at orche Lake Saint Mary's, you talk about a winning program. Court Like, what have you heard on the street about that program and their ability uh to obviously come like a little East Lansing East over there in uh or to Lake Saint Mary's.
Speaker 9: Yeah, they got some somewhat newer coach, Jermaine Gonzalis took over Orchard Lake Saint Mary's has had a long history of being a top program. They they kind of got away from it from what their turn you know, what their standards are. They brought in that new coaching staff. And then I mean, obviously, as you saw Division two state champions this year, that's probably you know, I put that one up as maybe the most talented division in Michigan. So I mean, to win that is huge. And then as far as getting the players and developing them, I think, uh, they're just really honestly getting started too, because with this staff being newer, they're gonna start attracting a lot of those guys there where you look at like Antonio Johnson who signed with Michigan State yesterday. He started off at Detroit Martin Luther King and went there in a really unique setting because those kids, they you know, they stay on campus. They got dorms there, so they kind of get prepared for college life.
Speaker 7: They have you know, excellent.
Speaker 9: Facilities for a high school in the state of Michigan. So, uh, that's one of definitely one of my favorite stops to go to. You know, the red turf on the for the football field and just just you know, it feels like a little little miniature college campus.
Speaker 2: What so.
Speaker 3: So Portrae Lake Saint Mary's did open the dorms up now, so it is more like a IMG style you know boarding school.
Speaker 9: Now yea, yeah, yeah, yeah. So they they're living there. You know, they go home for the weekend. That's a nice thing with a lot of them, you know, because they're from the area, so they can go home see mom and dad all through the week and everything, or you know, go home and get some home cooked food on the weekends. But yeah, yeah, so they're they're grinding, like I mean, that's a big thing where you look at.
Speaker 7: Like Antonio Johnson, the offensive lineman.
Speaker 9: Like like he's a hell of a player. Uh when he transferred from King to there. You know, there's different academic standards, so some of his credits didn't go over. So that's kind of what derailed his recruitment a little bit with some teams because they had to you know, he had to bust his ass to get qualified, Like he was taking extra load to make up for those lost transfer credits. Okay, So, like I mean, because he's a kid freshman and sophomore year, you had, you know, all the big teams were there, and and then he you know, he'd made that transfer the final couple of years at Orchard Lake, and I mean, he had to play some major catchup to do that decision. So like, I mean, you take a kid like that that you know, he's busting his ass to qualify. He's not coming to Michigan State to be averaged. Like like he didn't just take all them extra classes because it's fun. Like so a lot a lot of credit to him and his coaching staff and the academic advisors, his parents, everybody to fowle that through.
Speaker 10: And you know, so he's a kid that, like.
Speaker 9: We saw Orchard Lake three times this year, and like he stood out as an offensive linement of course, but he's actually a.
Speaker 10: Really good defensive tackle too, So.
Speaker 9: I I mean that that options on the board. But he's definitely starting that offensive line for Michigan State and really hungry kid that you know, driven and.
Speaker 7: He wants to succeed.
Speaker 9: He didn't lose his opportunity to do to some academic stuff early on.
Speaker 3: No, that's a that's a great point there, and like we were going to definitely take all the questions that are in the chat. Anybody feel free to put questions in the live chat.
Speaker 2: We will get to those for sure.
Speaker 3: You know, a big move we're asking him when we talked a little bit about Antonio Johnson here with his ability to play both sides of the ball. Uh, you know, when I see his pictures, he's talking, he's got the hand on the ball. He's talking like an offensive lineman. The fact that he busted his ass in the classroom, Swerve says that he's an offensive lineman. But big movie, you've seen that he's a tear on the defensive side as well.
Speaker 5: I think, you know what, this is just my personal opinion. I saw that I liked the kids body type and he's want to like you and I talked before when I look at kids and as far as where I project him on the next couple of years, he looks like a big ten, like the body type of a big ten conterioritylignement. I can see him playing. But look, we gotta fill.
Speaker 7: In power.
Speaker 4: You better run for cover. But you know the thing about the thing about that kid that that intrigues me, and I've got some kind of hope that he had to do. He had to do extra work to get qualified. Sound like a lot of athletes that I know talking about myself. Yeah, wait a.
Speaker 3: Minute, and you want to mind me?
Speaker 1: So you know the history of mine behind.
Speaker 2: Right, What do you think? What's what's up c Rob?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think like like he grew up a lot of the person too, like where but he's like that guy. He's got that dog to him, you know where, Like he's got that confidence when he goes there like he's not they're just to mess around. He's there to dominate his guy. So but yeah, I think defensive line, offensive line, wherever you know they need him, he's gonna do something.
Speaker 2: Sorry, big movie, you got back. I know you have a little text, so you're back.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like I said, I just like seeing athletic dudes get put on the defense. I think, especially where you see often the way the offenses are going with tempo and rpo. As many big athletes we can get on the defensive side of the field, I think the sooner you'll see us return to that sort of that spartan dog defense. So I'm encouraged by that guy. I like his film. There's one of the things when I watch film and I'm watching high school guys. If if I turn the film on, I gotta watch maybe you know four or five, six, ten players to figure out which one you are, you ain't it and you cut the film on. That kid shows up right away. You know he's moving bodies. Guys that he hits, they stay hit. He plays hard, and that's that's That's one of those things when you see a young offensive line, young big guy, you don't have to all just a young big guy that plays hard. It's in good shape. You know, that's encouraging going to that next level because what's coming that that that big tak condition is a different level. And to see that guy come in already in good shape, in decent cardio, that said a lot for him, But it also speaks of that program that we're getting five kids from. They do a good job of getting those guys prepared for the next level.
Speaker 1: So move, let me ask you this.
Speaker 4: And I'm one person that I hate the school from down down, down the block, down the street from over yonder, you know what I mean. But how are we and I'm not comparing for as you know, ranking or whatever it may be far as the player, because I mean, I'm wonder those don't believe in that so much. But you guys look at more film on these guys than we do. How do we compare to the school that's wherever they're from down the street over there. Because on Twitter and social media, they compare contrasting us and they're killing us talking about you know, they they are recruiting us.
Speaker 1: We're not recruiting the same guys they recruit.
Speaker 5: We don't have a chance.
Speaker 4: They going after the big names, and you know, how do we compare with those guys?
Speaker 1: Because I hate the mother I'm.
Speaker 5: Sorry, I mean, I think you gotta win the off season. I mean, like we just right now, let's just you know, just be honest. We're we're at as a program. We got to find the right guys and and and coach them up. And that's just where we're at. That's just that the reality of the situation. You know, when you're coming off of you know, three three straight losing seasons, you're it's tough. So these coaches got to get out there and they got to evaluate, and they got to teach the game. I mean, but let's just let's just be honest. There's a lot more guys that can play that we've never heard of than there are guys that can play that we've heard of. So just because we don't they might not be the five stars that mean they can't play football. There's a lot of three stars that end up being really good football players. And it's interesting enough. I like where we're headed because you're starting to see a lot of guys senior film get evaluated that probably wouldn't have would have gotten overlooked before. So for us, I think we're in a good position. There's a lot of good football all players out there that, let's face it, the big schools can't get them all. So just you know, as long as they check your boxes, you think they can play for you.
Speaker 2: I'm all for it. Now.
Speaker 5: At the same time, we do need to have some guys on our team that can start for guys we're playing against. You know, if you can't play against you can't play for the guys we're playing against. We're probably not gonna beat it. Our starters got to be good enough to me our Our first four to four got to be good enough to play for anybody, and then we'll fill in from there. But you got to get that, you know, the depth, you know, the ones and two has got to be good enough to play with anybody. And that just comes from coaching and evaluating the teaching.
Speaker 9: Then getting guys that fit what you want to because I mean you look at Indiana like like they they've built that with guys from James Madison and the tiny schools.
Speaker 10: You know, they're not that that wasn't.
Speaker 9: Built because they had those five stars. That's built that they got guys that are good football players that play can do what.
Speaker 10: The offense and defense is asking them.
Speaker 2: I've been a.
Speaker 3: Big you know, been bullish on Signetti and what he was able to do in Indiana last year. I mean, going from Mike basically the bottom of then to that you know, nearly a playoff. You know, uh, they did play in the playoffs. As a matter of fact, the first game you look at them, they did bring over the guys that he coached at that smaller school, so they knew the system a lot when you look at it the whole, the way that the game is set up right now, fans for a portal, you know it does give every team you know and in hope because you can you can really full you know, things over very fast by being very active in the port question that we have right here from it looks like Ariel she asked the question, what are ms us remaining needs in the second transfer portal window? Now that's looking out a little bit, Can you guys see where the roster is right now and give an example of what you think Mississi needs to do after?
Speaker 7: Yeah, they need they need a pass rusher.
Speaker 10: In the corner back for sure.
Speaker 4: Let's not break up cornerback because I'm still honey Badger down there in Miami and the shorts we just gold teething. And there I saw him the you're talking about, Charles, I saw him the today straight Yeah go they got short song with flip flops.
Speaker 2: Charles Brandley.
Speaker 4: He threw up to you, yeah, right in front of my face man ship hurts graight.
Speaker 7: They did pretty good in the portal.
Speaker 9: I think this year with the corners where you got what's his name the Texas State could uh losing my brain here on who he was. Then one second, I look at my phone real quick, Joshua Joshua eating Uh. We just redid our transfer portal rankings at twenty four to seven yesterday or two days ago. He's up to a ninety two rating, which is insanely high, like a number seventy player in the entire transfer portal. And then there's nage Bert the Eastern Illinois corner. Our guys didn't catch up on him. But I've talked to plenty of people in the Michigan State staff, like they're saying, that guy's a dude. So I think you got better there. I think at defensive back, you get so many of them out there now that you're always gonna want more, so you go get that in the second window, just because you can never have enough good defensive backs. But I think this is the best year they've had at the defensive backs, at adding guys that are going to come in and play like like I mean, we can you know, Charles was really good last year until he was injured.
Speaker 7: But I mean.
Speaker 10: We also can look at the other.
Speaker 9: Two years too, where it wasn't be that So uh, you know, it's all about coaching. If you coach these guys and you've got some good athletes that are going to put in the work, you know, because I thought the beginning years, if we go back to the Moult Tucker stuff, it was scheme was an issue, like they're just playing off you know where like you got third and eight, you know where that line is. You don't go beyond that line, and they don't.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, So I mean, I mean, because you saw when Harlan took over, he must walk them into a bowl game when everything in that locker room was fractured because.
Speaker 10: They got rid of that stupield all as the bail defense that they were playing right right.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, like when you look at you talking about the cornerbacks, because that's the one area of need. When you look at the defensive back end right now, and you look at guys in the secondary right now, you've got to returning guys like Malik Spencer. You've gotten the Kaile Martinez I mean, and Dylan hate them that can play that that nickel slot spot right there. You got a lot of experience and great players in that back end. Just having some guys that could play corner is necessary. You know, what do you guys think about Michigan State defensively as far as being able to meet their needs in the recruiting world and the portal?
Speaker 5: You know, I think, I mean, listen, there's guys out there, and it wouldn't We'll have a better idea. But like the touchover of course said, we definitely want to see it. I'd say two edge rushers and probably too Probably two corners and a safety would be my guest. And probably if we could find a veteran top end speed receiver, I think they would also take that as well.
Speaker 9: Yeah, tight end to maybe get another tight end in there, but but yeah, I think like you can never have enough pass rushers. Again, I think they could. The Polynesian kid from Hawaii or whatever that was that was kind of last year. He was another big riser for us in our rankings. An Alou Lafalle. His dad's a head coach at one of the premiere Hawaiian high school programs down there, so he knows what he's doing. He's got a couple family members that have done it at this level.
Speaker 10: Talking to the.
Speaker 9: Guys that were at Wisconsin covering them, like he was really close as a true freshman to you know, being that guy, but they wanted to add some extra weight on him, which he's been able to do. So he's a guy definitely this spring that we're going to keep an eye on. Where you see his tape that he put, you know, out from spring practice or whatever during the season at Wisconsin. Like the speed that he has coming off the edge is something Michigan State.
Speaker 10: Hasn't had in a while.
Speaker 9: So and then David Santiago the Air Force Academy, he was another guy that rose pretty high in our emails with our site. So you know, six foot four, stand up edge type of guy. So they got some guys, but like as as Ron mentioned that, like you always need more because you're losing a couple of guys too, like Bogel, and you know you get to hopefully you see a step up with Thompson, Jalen Thompson.
Speaker 7: Getting a little bit bigger role.
Speaker 10: So but yeah, I.
Speaker 9: Think defensive end is probably the biggest thing for me that they need in the spring to add to what they have.
Speaker 3: You know, you talked about a couple of Polynesian players there and they haven't seen a huge influx of Polynesian players.
Speaker 2: It's hard to get.
Speaker 3: Once you start doing that, it seems like a trend that like start flooding the air waves, you know at a particular university. You see that back in the Peko days, right, you know, starting with Tupe and you had Dominta Demana Peko that that played about thirty five years in the NFL. You have guys now, you know, do you credit this big swing urge to Leggy.
Speaker 7: Yeah, definitely one hundred percent.
Speaker 9: Like for those type of players, like it's it's one hundred percent culture driven.
Speaker 10: It's like they're they're not logo.
Speaker 9: Chasing like you know, some of them do end up at Ohio State, Georgia, those type of schools, but that's not what drives them. What drives them or most of them is the culture and having people that they can relate with. So, I mean, you see, since this staff's gotten here with Leggi, you brought in a couple high school guys in the first class, rust.
Speaker 10: And young and the defensive end.
Speaker 7: Uh, then you.
Speaker 9: Brought in a couple of transfer portal guys like Ben Roberts and some of them, and now you've got two guys coming in this transfer portal window. I thought they probably should have hit that that harder in the twenty twenty five class, but you're starting to see in twenty twenty six and twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 7: I think they're like.
Speaker 9: All like recruiting the area is nice, but if we got a dude that can get us the Polynesian guys, we need to go get the Polynesian guys.
Speaker 7: So you saw Legie, you spend.
Speaker 9: A lot of time in Hawaii and California and the areas that a lot of those guys are playing at. So I think you're going to see a much bigger focus on adding more of that in the twenty twenty sixth class.
Speaker 5: In the piggyback off of that, also tapping into some of the past players. You know the Bob A Pieces of the World and the Damien Hire rooms, and you know guys that have been here that can you know, show these gentlemen, these young men, what you know what Michigan State's about, and that the cold weather isn't all that bad, that they can play come here play great football, you know, go to the league. Like you said, Pecko played, you know, he played when it was black and white TV.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 10: So he just.
Speaker 5: Retired last week, right right right, you know he came in with you guys and finished playing in twenty twenty five. So no, but seriously, like you know Michigan statement, we have a you know, rich tradition of having Polynesian players here, and you know it. I don't think I don't truthfully, I don't think we do a good enough job, you know, telling people that story. We need we need to you know, we need to get Bob A. P's out here. We need I ranted the Damien High Room. I rented a Damien at the building because we had a couple of his cousins out, you know, his twin cousins from Utah in the summer that we're recruiting. So we need to take advantage of that. Like it's a great place. We've we've had players here from that and the Sea coach do that. I think I think he's just beginning. Of course, we're just scratching the service on that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I'm speaking of delmach how his son is a hell of a player in the twenty twenty sixth class Joseph So Uh, Michigan State's got to offer out to him. So but yeah, so that all of the former guys need to kind of rally around him and you know, bring him over here too.
Speaker 10: But but yeah, he's a.
Speaker 1: Got a lot of coach.
Speaker 4: Now, we got a great quoture at east Landson, and I can tell you that we got plenty of nationalities that that just love football.
Speaker 2: You know, Yeah, there's a lot of that.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Look, look you talk about a guy that with the high school recruiting that's a Probalynesia player.
Speaker 2: You know, we'll be going to or a little bit here, linebacker Leonard I you I love them, you know Marine.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I am excited for the Hawaiian names. I love politician names. But are you lined back two undred and fifteen pounds? You know, this is a kid that helped Cahuku to a twelve and two record in twenty twenty two for the Stag title and they finished rank number one.
Speaker 1: To say the wife first of all, I would never spell I you like that?
Speaker 7: That's funny.
Speaker 9: The December press conference, somebody asked them how Jonathan Smith how to say it, and he's like, you like, it's exactly how it's saying, because they were expecting it to be something, you know, weird and off the wall, and they're like, no, it's just literally.
Speaker 5: What it says, Big mother, what do you think about? Yeah, they hit the player. You know, he's he's a player, the mature player, you know, had a year of you know, had a couple of years off. So we're getting a mature guy physically developed already. You know, I think we're again. Anytime we can get big, physical guys that are that are explosive, that that love ball, I think that's a win for us. And and getting that guy in the field, getting them out here and have them called back home and FaceTime all that with his buddies and telling them how graded is out here, you know, only opens up that avenue, that pipeline for our football. But that kid's a stud I'm men tell you right now that when I see them find guys like that, I get excited because that was that was real good evaluation tonight.
Speaker 2: That kid's a player.
Speaker 9: And they have experience with the Mormon mission. Guys like that, like like if you gave that to Jonathan Smith, John L. Smith or something like that that's not used to it. Maybe maybe he fumbles it, but these guys are used to taking guys that have went on those missions and getting them back into football shape and back in line. So because they did that at Oregon State and stops on the West coast where it's more common.
Speaker 7: Uh so, so.
Speaker 2: A two year mission.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so he'll be here and uh.
Speaker 10: Maybe maybe a little before May, but.
Speaker 9: I think his mission is over in March. But but yeah, so yeah, so he was like in the Samoa or something the last couple of years.
Speaker 4: See, we got we got coaches like that on the staff that can go into that coaches they had me move move on the staff. I can get all the kids out of the project, cause that's what I'm.
Speaker 2: Real cheese.
Speaker 1: I can go get them keys. We need some of them too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're not gonna We're not gonna win the way we want to win.
Speaker 5: If everybody touched their shirts into their jeans and has no face of here, we ain't go.
Speaker 2: We gotta we got.
Speaker 5: Hey, Hey, we got to ask some that came from that neighborhood. If you left your bike outside, it used to be your bike.
Speaker 4: Hey, I had a coach, had a coach say he wanted to recruit the kids that got the red eyes.
Speaker 3: Hey, somebody put on one of our social media platforms, big movie. You wanted you to tell the GP story.
Speaker 5: I don't know what that meant, oh mane of one of one of the GP stories or any one of your best ones. Oh man, you know what in nineteen ninety man, I came into ninety one. Man, you know my first man? Okay, funny story, Man, I couldn't you know that two twenty five tests? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I want, I want a big move back.
Speaker 5: Then I was one hundred and eighty pound move when that two twenty five test ball killed me. And uh, GP wouldn't call me armstrong man. He called me armed. He said, I got to earn the rest.
Speaker 2: He took the strong off.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 2: That was caroused advertising. You're just armed right now? Man? How many reps you get? Man to twenty five win the.
Speaker 7: First time?
Speaker 1: Man? About my test in Man, that was it? That was it?
Speaker 4: That was it.
Speaker 5: Run I did it the sprint test, and that that that half mile was easy. The weight room, brot jack.
Speaker 1: We had to do a mile and a half.
Speaker 2: Half Yeah, mom and a half.
Speaker 1: Ship that wasn't easy.
Speaker 2: Oh, that was. That was easy.
Speaker 5: I killed the man and a half the sprint test, the weight room. The weight room was when you went in the doctor's office before they saw you. I ain't had nothing but long wrist back then, man, I ain't had no arms, had long wrists.
Speaker 2: And that's gentlemen, that has made it.
Speaker 1: Are you seriously run? That's what.
Speaker 6: She is?
Speaker 2: Highly here?
Speaker 5: It is right here.
Speaker 7: His cat.
Speaker 9: Yeah, she's been now, she's been waiting behind my computer this whole time. I've just been waiting for the jump in.
Speaker 2: What's her name?
Speaker 7: Lulu?
Speaker 4: You know it's a lou sub and uh and Jimmy John, I get it all the time listen, but no, no, I mean you can train them a little bit, but they they're doing what they want to do.
Speaker 1: So do you talk to the cat and you yeah, definitely, Wow, I'm actual because I wouldn't.
Speaker 9: Never have a cat we got we got one of them where we get her treats and she'll like like shake your hand and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Like you got more than one cat?
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, I got to.
Speaker 2: Remember the one that was I remember the one that was climbing on you.
Speaker 9: That one.
Speaker 1: So what's the thing, what's the thing around ther neck.
Speaker 9: I think we got some new shampoo or something at her skind like, so she kept licking herself. So we gotta keep her from looking liquor for.
Speaker 7: What.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, listen in my next life, I'm serious, I want to be an animal because these dogs and they get so much like if I see another person in the stroller walking the dog, I'm gonna lose it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you wasn't like my neighborhood.
Speaker 5: Then, man, they got the strollers, they got, they got they got the cross body bag for the dog. Man, hey, man, But look, man, I gotta I gotta give this show some props because I see a lot of shows and y'all talk a lot of things, crossed a lot of spectrums. But the one thing I cant y'all proce for, and none of y'all went out there and put that shoe polishing y'all beard, man, So I appreciate y'all keeping up keeping it a butty. None of y'all put that shoe polished at Carlos Boozer to your beard. You know, none of y'all did.
Speaker 2: That, So I appreciate that many a word.
Speaker 5: Bossing you with that jet black on, man, I'm gonna ask something, Fu, you don't be up here this weekend with the jet black man.
Speaker 4: Brun on my flight leaving in six more hours, and nothing I can do if I won't drive up.
Speaker 3: Keeping it one hundred no, Ryan Day, I love that. Listen, hey man, look we got we got a couple of a couple of more guys. Man, this is great right now. I don't know if there's any commercial, any questions coming out of chat right now. It's a lot of comments were not questions. But when you talking about the offensive line being addressed in this class, and you know you have Justin Bell coming out of McColl area right now, you're six foot six.
Speaker 2: Two hundred and eighty five pound.
Speaker 3: It was a basketball player put off nearly one hundred pounds in less.
Speaker 2: Than a year. And the nephew of Dave Seacura.
Speaker 5: Well, what do you know, you know, listen, just a big, big ten sized kid frame, big ten frame. You know, that's that's the first thing you see with offensive lineman is do they have the requisite size?
Speaker 7: Now?
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 5: The one thing that else concerned me that that amount of weight in a short period of time, that's a that's a that's a concern for me because you don't know if connective tissue. I'm not the doctor anything like that, but you put on that kind of weight, you know, you putting some strain on connective tissue and things like that. So it'll be interesting. But not him specifically, but it's a general offensive lineman. We just got to stay healthy. Like I like the bodies, I like the pieces, but man, we haven't had them on the field enough with each other to get any kind of you know, cohesion to figure out what we have. So we get those guys healthy, I think we have a chance to have a functional, you know, good big body, big ten offensive line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think.
Speaker 9: I think the kids in the transfer portal, like you got Golvin the center from Wake Forest, like like he would be he would have been the best player on the offensive line and it's not even closed last year, so adding him is huge.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 9: And then obviously Connor Moore the Montana State UH offensive tackle where he was the big, big one.
Speaker 7: You know, where like he got the headlines.
Speaker 10: So so you're you're definitely.
Speaker 9: Improved there, but you know, it's a matter of staying healthy and working together.
Speaker 3: Hey, I like to see how they recruited him a kid from Montana State. I know, swear thinks it's Joe Montana State, this and that. I said, they put you talk about a full core press. I mean they brought the men on the court side down there. He had not the head coach, the old line coach looking him up and down, the president and the athletic director and Tom Izzol Come on.
Speaker 9: I mean, I mean, he can't sell the He canceled the Ohio State and Auburn because they did that, like like they knew what they were doing. Like, yeah, that's a big one. So I mean, you get those guys and uh even uh Luca Luca from Oregon State. He's the guy that was a coach, m guy who was in.
Speaker 7: Line to he started last year for Oregon.
Speaker 10: State, and uh, you know he'll be a guy that will put.
Speaker 7: Some reps in there.
Speaker 9: And then uh, Chris Phillips and guy have ambrocious the two interior guys that got hurt early in the season where they were kind of the guys and then sometimes I mean, like we don't want to be that guy.
Speaker 10: But sometimes when.
Speaker 7: A certain player leaves, you.
Speaker 10: Might just get better because that guy's not gonna be on the fucking field again, and we know who that is.
Speaker 2: You didn't have a question talking about the Yeah, I.
Speaker 9: Know, I mean, and you saw like that was trending away from that. But then with so many injuries to fill up some brocious then you had to move them. But I mean you saw Stanton Rameil, the freshman took over left tackle there. Yeah, so like the reps, the reps were going away, and then you had those two injuries and then you were pors to kind of like patch it together for the rest of the year. And some games that worked, like Iowa, some games that definitely did not work, I think not to.
Speaker 5: I think that that where you're staying to start. What we're talking about here is having offensive linemen and really just across the board guys that can win individual matchups. And when when we were when teams were able to isolate our offensive lineman on certain guys, those guys just couldn't win individual matchups. And we're getting more and more guys that are gonna be able to win those individual matchups up front, right, And you know straight, you're an old lime, You're old old lineman. If your tackles could win, if your tackles you can isolate your tackles, and that means your interior guys can combo will climb without half to help on tackle on on on edge guys, you're that much better interior. But if you got an interior liightnment that can't win individual battles, you really can't help. No, no, you're trying to help what you're trying to help with a tight end or a back. So now you're exposing another area. So you gotta be you gotta be firm up front and especially in the interior. And I do like where we're headed with these interior offensive lightnments.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, I mean thinking more experience and size and athleticism.
Speaker 2: When you look at that that that.
Speaker 3: Box for the defense, right, you know, swerve and I'm gonna let you talk after this one because you've got a lot to say right now. But you know five six seven man box, right, you look the linebackers and defensive lineman.
Speaker 2: Always know that the linebackers make tackles, that's what they do.
Speaker 3: The defensive lineman they make tackles for losses if you can't block their ass. So you have to be able to focus on those four three, four five down linemen whatever is in front of you, and and move them against their will when you're in the run game, and obviously keep them, keep you g clean, quarterback clean so that they can you know, get to their first second and maybe sometimes third read and hit guys like Nick marsh is gonna be open the passing game a lot.
Speaker 2: Swerve. You've been patient.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm proud of you because we've got to talk about money backs right now.
Speaker 2: But go ahead.
Speaker 4: All I'm saying is if you look at the playoffs, right, we look at the playoff you look.
Speaker 2: At the Ohio State.
Speaker 1: Ohio State was able to pass the ball.
Speaker 4: You know, even when they big time receiver in that championship game didn't have a catch the whole second half. He had the biggest catch at the end to put the game away, all right. So what I'm saying is, and they also had a running game, So we get these offens alignment. We also got to look at the scheme that we gotta we got to put in so our guys can be able to execute and have success on the field. You understand what I'm saying. Do we have a big time receiver, Yes, he's proven that. You know what I mean, do we have a running back, but do we have another other receiver can companiment him. But then you got to ask what scheme we're gonna have because we got a quarterback. They gotta live on. You know, you may you know you can question anything any quarterback, you know what I mean? Like she look at beck Big didn't play the worst years. He just went and got four billion dollars.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: But at the end of the day, I think it's the scheme. I think we have the players, but we gotta put these guys in the best situation to be successful that we can have a successful offense.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think the biggest improvement in the off season is wide receiver from the transfer port a h But I mean last year you had Nick Mars, who was a true freshman. That was amazing, But then you didn't know what you're getting week to week game the game from anybody.
Speaker 10: Else in that unit. Where they added is that four.
Speaker 9: Guys or five guys in the transfer portal, they all have a lot of experience, a lot of catches, they know how to run routes, and they're faster guys too, which is what you saw at Oregon state where you know, they use those little guys, they would put line them up outside inside, you know, just to move those matchups like you're talking about. So I think that part of it's good. You got Bray and Collier. He'll come in as a true freshman. He's here now already, you know, so he's going to get that added strength that he needs to go there. But like that dude, like if you look at his numbers all time in the state of Ohio, his receptions, his yards, his touchdowns, the state championship yards and touchdowns he had, like their rank as some of the greatest that's ever been seen in Ohio.
Speaker 7: And that doesn't just happen, you know, by accident.
Speaker 9: Like that kid knows how to run route at a much further level than most freshmen. He's got the hands and all of that stuff.
Speaker 3: But you know now that you.
Speaker 9: Killed it in the portal and you have Nick Marsh back at wide receiver, now you don't get to force him and ask him to do things he's not ready to do. So now you can put him into package is that are utilize him the way that's best to use him as a freshman.
Speaker 3: Are we sure Nick Marsh's Beck because I thought that he was going to the school down the road according to some assholes out there. Anyway, I digress, but Collier really excited about having him his family, they've been on the show.
Speaker 2: Great kid, exciting family to look passionate about Missis State football. That's what you need to have here, guys. I want to just you know, talk a little.
Speaker 3: Bit about a legacy player by the name of Jace CLARIZI right, Okay, this is the guy who truly flip this commitment to Alabama and somehow in the ninth hour, you guys, tell me what the story was on this one. You talk about the running back that's got speed, the third down back and do it all, you know, to play in the slot.
Speaker 1: What happened?
Speaker 2: How would we get him back? Talk to us?
Speaker 10: Jonathan Smith?
Speaker 9: Yeah, he got involved with I mean that's the next step where I think he's kind of learning where out west.
Speaker 7: Know you had Oregon in USC, but.
Speaker 9: You didn't have a lot of dog recruiters out there, like it was pretty It's not like the Big ten in the Midwest where it just managers more at the SEC country like these guys, like the head coaches have to be present in the recruitment.
Speaker 10: You saw him play a.
Speaker 9: Major role in Jason, like you mentioned in Aiden, and now you're starting to see that he's understanding this year for twenty twenty six. Like he can't come in at the end. He's got to be there for those guys throughout the thing, because James Franklin's going to be there, Sharon Moore is going to be there. What's his name, Freeman at Notre Dame's going to be there, like like you you can't not match that, like so, so I think that was a big thing.
Speaker 3: And then Core, you gotta talk to him, okay, because you know, you know, I'm not there every day like you guys, are there any big move you get there?
Speaker 2: Mia swear.
Speaker 3: We are sitting in the game down here in IMG. We saw damn helicopter come in with James Franklin.
Speaker 2: Now I'm talking about James Franklin.
Speaker 3: Okay, playoff appearance, guys, So can we get us a sparking helicopter.
Speaker 2: I know we got the money. Let's do that. Jay, get Jonathan a helicopter and do that. Man, it changes everything, it does. I mean Mario christ Paul's flying helicopters in Chicago now.
Speaker 1: But straight we just saw J. L.
Speaker 4: Smith in the atl looked like he was in the hood. You saw that picture where you bought the truck.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. That's out of the character.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that big boy. I wish we had that picture to put it in. It was on Facebook like he was. It looked like a wrap of.
Speaker 1: Cover that.
Speaker 10: Yeah, like Shade talking about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah he slim shady and had his boyd what what what slim the eight mile whatever? You know what I'm saying, twelve that was out of his character, you know what I mean? It looked at good.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 9: Well that's the thing too, is I think those guys you're gonna see, uh, those guys get a little bit more involved where that's Curtis Daniel's former Michigan State player who has Patchwork Record Studios, which is the top studio in Atlanta, which people that foul hit rap and hip hop, like Atlanta's the mecca right now. And then Big Big Block, Big Block, Malik Spencer's dad is like the also that big dude where Rick Ross and all of those guys. So so like you know, they it wasn't by accident, and I think that that was.
Speaker 7: A huge trip.
Speaker 9: That's gonna matter. Like I know, Leggy released the video a couple of days ago. Uh that was edited, and I can promise you Curtis Daniel did that without even having to ask him, because that was stuff that you saw uh early on in mouse Sing when he was doing stuff there that you weren't seeing with Jonathan Smith yet. So I think, uh that was part of that meeting, is like, hey, we've gotta make this, you know, fun for the kids and like have those photos like you're talking about, and you know, put that video out that you know, it's got a song that matters to the people watching it and gets them hype to see it. Like like all that stuff matters. It's all about imaging of parents.
Speaker 3: Hey what you got? What do you know about that Atlanta experience that Georgia love.
Speaker 2: Listen.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you what a few years ago, man, right when we were recruiting uh Malie Spencer. You know, we had a really good name in Atlanta Metro high school football. We had a good name. You know, we were we were you know, we were out there. And I'll tell anybody if you can get into Beaufort or Grayson or you know, some of these. You know, heck, if we just get Gwinnett County North Gette, there's enough. There's there's enough good football players in Gwinnett County that you know, we can we can do some things and and and sometimes. Man, when you get away from the Midwest, Michigan State's name is actually better and more well received when you get away from some of the negativity that we see from some of the media around here. We don't have to fight against that. And having patchwork in the middle of the city, now have you been there. It is right in the middle of midtown Atlanta, right in the middle of the city. It's that's my guy, Freddy Curtis Daniel's been there thirty years, so he ground from the ground up, built that and knows everybody you need to know in the city of Atlanta. And it was great to see Coach Smith and those guys down there, because that is a resource that we have to take advantage off. If any of our coaches, I hope that if they listen to the show, they watch the show. If any of our coaches are in Atlanta Metro and they don't pick up the phone to call Curtis, you fumble.
Speaker 9: And even if you go back to like Coach D with Rich Homi Kwan, like Coach D wasn't you know, Coach D's Coach D.
Speaker 7: But he embraced that because he knows that the kids to embrace that. And that's what it's all about.
Speaker 10: At this level.
Speaker 5: You know, we're recruiting fifteens, you know, fifteen and seventeen year olds. What I think at fifties, you know, it's cool, they're like, hey, old man, go to bed, you know what I mean. So we gotta we gotta state. We gotta remember the kids were trying to the people were trying to our audience, our target audience, you know, our fifteen to seventeen year olds.
Speaker 2: So let me that.
Speaker 9: Then you three played there like, uh, a college football locker room at Michigan State isn't gonna get compared to a church service all the time.
Speaker 10: And you know there's some.
Speaker 7: There's some stuff that happens, and there's some dogs down there.
Speaker 4: You know, if we can get if we can get Eminem to come on the sideline like Colorado had everybody from.
Speaker 2: Little Wayne, and.
Speaker 4: We can get you know, Eminem and who else in the middle was a trick trick and what's the one out.
Speaker 2: Of Flint uh who Dayton Family.
Speaker 1: Percolator? I hate that time for the oh we can get sell them beside if it's you up hip.
Speaker 5: Hop, you know, you know it has no what Here's the thing, though, it has to be authentic, Like you can't do it for the sake of doing it and have it and have it be whack. If we're not gonna if it's not gonna be dope and it's not gonna like be authentic. Kids can see through that, you know what I mean, They can see through the phoniness. So we gotta be true to what we are.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 5: Here's the thing, y'all know this man, Everybody not gonna want to be a spartan dog. It's not for everybody. But what we can do is invite the right people to be spartan dogs. And I think we're getting good at I think this stab is getting good at figuring out what fits, you know, what fits what they're trying to do and what fits this place?
Speaker 1: What you think is in jail John Smith? J Smith when he turned on his car, what do you think is.
Speaker 7: Is?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what what do you think on this playlist?
Speaker 2: You know, man.
Speaker 5: You know what he was, he was a quarterback man. He was probably listening to you know, some John Tash or something like that. Man, some real, some real thoughtful you know he probably know he might he might even listen to an audio book on like centering Yourself or something like that. Seems real, like a real, carefully measured guy. So I don't know that he's listening to anything crazy.
Speaker 7: Right, And and Ocho stands up for him, and they chance his name is mentioned.
Speaker 2: So I'm not saying I'm not saying he's not.
Speaker 5: I'm saying I think I think you know his his his uh, you know his his playlist would have a lot more you know, things that that are kind of chilled than what you would think. You know, probably you know some Kenny g and you know something like that Michael Michael Ball.
Speaker 6: You know what.
Speaker 1: You'll think was on mail Up?
Speaker 3: What was on Male.
Speaker 1: The Point Little Point player?
Speaker 7: Wrong?
Speaker 2: Hey yeah, ain't black man. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about the quarterback position. And this is something everybody wants to talk about. We can't have a recruiting show not talking about the quarterback. Leohannon, this guy, you know, they came in here, uh six three fifteen Pounder had an eight and six record, But he's from Survive.
Speaker 2: You know, they're talking about Cally Baby. That's a Trinity.
Speaker 7: League, Trinity.
Speaker 10: League, cap league in America.
Speaker 2: Good program, good program.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, he had the injury after a few games this year, but he got off to a really good start. He's healthy now, he's training. He's an early and rollie. So so yeah, he'll obviously this year he's it's gonna be about development and red shirt and stuff. But like if if you can play in that league, you can play. And then if you look at his junior season there, like they're offensive line, it was trash like like so I he was on ESPN a couple of games where he's running for his life just making place. It kind of reminds me of like the kid at Vanderbilt when he played was at Alabama, where like he's running for his life, but every single time he's making that play and getting the ball out, it's like, uh so he's got a lot of that where he you know, like can adapt and get the ball out quickly and lots of different arm angles getting it out, and so yeah, definitely someone to to you know, see what he looks like this spring coming off of the injury. But but everything we've heard is he's back one hundred percent and going through uh workouts as as if it's no injury.
Speaker 5: So okay, you know, but I'll tell you just just you know. Tangentially related related to that is, is you notice something here you said Survive very good high school program or Tory Late Saint Mary's very good high school program, East Lansing High School, very good high school program.
Speaker 2: You see the trend here.
Speaker 5: You know, we're starting to get kids that are coming from winning cultures, that are coming from being coached hard, They're coming from high expectations. They're coming so there's gonna be a there's always that transition from high school to college. But if you've come from a program where winning is expected, w being where you're supposed to be, going to class, you know all the right things, that transition isn't as difficult if you came from somewhere where they just threw the balls out and you played and you know, and then football season was over and young with your buddies. They're they're coming from places where it matters, and you know, getting on campus here, it's gonna again, it's gonna be that that that adjustment period, but it's not gonna be like you know, for guys like me that came in and you know, college football felt like I was, Yeah, so we're recruiting kids that they're coming from really good high school football programs, and I think that's a that's kind of going to give us.
Speaker 2: A leg up. Yeah.
Speaker 9: I mean if you look at just go through the list. Derek Simmons at Frank and Mooth, they played, uh state semi finals, right, maybe state championship even so we'll.
Speaker 3: Go with.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so like we'll go with guys that made semi finals state championships are won it. Frank and Mooth, Derek Simmons did that. Aiden West and Maryland won the state championship. Jays Clarizio made the the the semi finals, right move?
Speaker 7: Or did they go to state my finals?
Speaker 9: Braylen Collier, Uh state championship They lost last second on that one. They kind of got hosed Dakota with Malone and justin Bell semifinals, uh Handing had the injury.
Speaker 10: Uh let's see who we got.
Speaker 9: And then the all of the five Orchard Lake Saint Mary's kids won the Division two state championship. So so I mean that's a lot a lot of winning. And then Drew Nichols, he's the most under ranked player in my opinion in the class. I think he's only sixteen right now or he just turned seventeen, you know, so he's young for an offensive lineman at Mariatta Myriada Valley in California, which is another good program. I think he's gonna be the guy that far outweighs what we have him ranked. I think, like I don't call out a lot of the rankings, but like that's the guy that I've been saying should have been up quite a bit when you look at a the tape he has and to the fact that he's doing a year younger than what his grade is for most guys. So I mean that matters, like because you look at him, he's got a baby face, and so there's a lot a lot of growth that's gonna happen with that kid. Still still where I mean, he's already huge, Like what is he six four sixty five almost like three hundred pounds close to it to eighty five to ninety So.
Speaker 3: Man, look, man, this is this is this is great information and insight as to what's going on in the recruiting world behind the scenes, not only when the high school world.
Speaker 2: I mean we talked about the guys who just signed yesterday, those four players, one from Groves, three from.
Speaker 3: Orchard Lake, Saint Mary's, and then all the other high school players, but also the transfer portal and all the different acquisitions made there.
Speaker 2: Guys. You know, when you look at what's going on in.
Speaker 3: College football athletics as a whole, I don't know, did you guys see all the I mean, it's it seems like it's literally changing every day.
Speaker 2: You know, all of us see it. And this is far we we follow it every day.
Speaker 3: I mean we're getting updates, you know, sometimes three four updates a day, new changes.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you guys have.
Speaker 3: Heard about this new I mean, this is this is a bill here, this is something we were talking about running this It feels like a year ago now, but it was like and we're talking about in Georgia, they're introducing a bill that allows for all nil funds that are paid to athletes to have state taxes nullified. So smart bill, I mean, think about the creativity like that. That's not even really where I was going with it because we're talking about that seems like last year's new Seriously, But I think what do you got to say about that, Corey? Like you know, they're going to have a state that says anybody that ever sees nil here doesn't have to pay taxes.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's kind of a crazy thing because I think you're seeing the opposite of that with the college thing. Is there, Wait, you got to pay taxes on this money that you're giving these guys and stuff like that. Sounds like that Bards, But I mean that's the same thing. Like you said, I was always changing where now they have like something where they're talking about how we've been talking about, like I feel like how many times I've been on the show that we've talked about where you need like that CEO commissioner that oversees everything and enforce his rules like they Ross Dellinger just did a thing today where he announced that they that's what they're talking about doing now and they're finding ways to do that and like where they'll put the profit sharing throughout the entire power for the pay guys and get rid of a lot of the the nil stuff that doesn't have anything behind it. You know, like you're not in a commercial or motivating it, you know. So that's the stuff that we've been talking about on the show, like it's that to Congress, and they're kind of coming up with that way, which I think that's where it's always had to go. Is that whoever that guy is, it's got to be set up where there's that guy that runs it and there's penalty for for breaking the rules like there are in the NFL.
Speaker 3: Think I'm gonna ask you this because I mean you you you know the insights. I mean, you played the game. You understand. How are they going to police because they're talking about tampering police, How are you gonna police that? Knowing how the tampering world really works, how are you gonna police that?
Speaker 5: I don't I don't know that you can because we're talking about you know, human communication. I mean this this these things people. Some of this stuff has been happening since we played it, just the mechanism might be a little bit differently. For example, we wanted to transfer back in the day, you talk to your high school coach that he called the school and say hey, I got a guy. He still might be interested. So it was stuff happening behind the scenes even back then. So to say that you're gonna be able to get teams not to not to try. Good luck with that. I think that the fix is is this, I want kids to still be able to transfer. I think one thing we had to do. We got to separate the portal from NIL because I think there are two two separate and two separate entities that oftentimes get kind of bootstrapped together in clouds of the clouds of you.
Speaker 2: So let's talk about the portal first. I think I think you should be able to transfer.
Speaker 5: I don't. I don't like that. You know, coaches can tell you what you do. You don't want me to play for you, but you don't want me to leave, sort of.
Speaker 2: I don't like that. But what I do, what I would like to see is this.
Speaker 5: If you're a freshman and you you portal before the end of your freshman academic year, you lose that year. I'm tired of seeing freshmen portal. You haven't even been there long enough. Number two, if you're if if even if let's say let's say you stay and you're a freshman or a sophomore, I got a real quick fix for you.
Speaker 2: Real quick fix.
Speaker 5: If you're transferred as a freshman, you have immediate eligibility, but you're a junior when you get there.
Speaker 2: And here's why I want. I want those schools to have to consider if this kid's worth it or not? Whoa a junior? Yeah? You're just no, No, you played your and you try for next year. You're gonna be a junior. You're gonna lose a year.
Speaker 3: Hm in a worldlope, Right, they're they're getting they're trying to give guys not only right now, it's five years and they and it may get to unlimited eligibility because you know, how do you how do you police that? There's a lot of things unpacked when you talk about eligibility. And you know when you look at that Corey, I'll ask you this. You know you have guys like, yeah, Jeremiah Smith and that's getting recruited by everybody.
Speaker 2: Right, he just had he came out of what school?
Speaker 7: Was it?
Speaker 1: Swear?
Speaker 2: Was the Columbus.
Speaker 3: Shaman I this other c I'm sorry, so Sharman I down there in Floyda. You know now, my you know the word is that he can get four and a half million?
Speaker 5: Now, is that?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 2: Tampering. I mean it somehow you don't even have to call the kid.
Speaker 3: If you have you know somebody in the media that can broadcast that that number and you can back channel. Obviously everybody's got a trainer or a coach and all these different things that can get to one another. How like police in that is is an absolute monster coreat So you know what, what's the remedy to that? You know?
Speaker 2: To me, I think maybe two transfer portal windows are too much.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think there should be one transfer portal.
Speaker 9: You know there or like I say, like if say you entered in December or whatever that window is, even if you come back, you're not eligible to come.
Speaker 7: Go to the spring portal windows, like there's no reason.
Speaker 10: You go twice, Like there's just no reason. Like at some point you got to.
Speaker 7: Live with your decision and figure it out.
Speaker 9: Like so I think, like whether it's one window, which I would like, or two windows but you can only go one calendar year once would be nice.
Speaker 7: And then I mean as far as policing.
Speaker 9: It, like obviously it's never going to be perfect, like you look at the NBA is not perfect. How Jimmy Butler have a one hundred twenty one million dollar deal five minutes after he was traded. But he wasn't even officially traded to Golden State last night. So I mean, it's never gonna be perfect. But a good way to make it perfect is when you catch them. Because everybody knows what the.
Speaker 10: Other school is doing, they just know that there's no penalty for it.
Speaker 9: So go hammer the dude, Go hammer that program for cheating. And guess what, when they get lose ten scholarships, maybe they're gonna think about back channel at the next time. Where yes, you're not gonna catch everything, but just like a football game, you're not gonna catch every hole that happens. But if you catch enough of this stuff, then you know it's gonna it's gonna get better.
Speaker 5: Well, I think there's other piece of this too in it that folks you know, and then I get it. It's easy to compare to it like the pro models to college and whatnot. What is the one thing we have to consider is that these are all one league with the interest of that one league at heart. When they're when they're trying to you know, the Cowboys or NFL whatever, there how many there's what five power five power four conferences with compeding interest. So Michigan's like, it doesn't hurt. It doesn't help the Big ten per se to become really strict on tampering, to be really strict on nil. It doesn't help unless everybody else. Right, So, so the issue isn't necessarily the individuals. It's the it's who's who's in charge and making sure that we're all in the same playing field. I don't want to see Michigan State take the high role to become the pillar and everybody else, No, don't do that. You're you're working against yourself. So what we need is is everybody to play on the same playing field. Now that's that's kind of that's kind of you know, pie in the sky to say you can't expect Ohio State University with these, you know, two hundred million dollar budgets to certainly, you know, beside they want to become accron But the point is they should have the same rules.
Speaker 2: The money is.
Speaker 5: If you can't, if you can't spend the money the same, I have the same access. Who cares how much you have?
Speaker 3: So right, there's the thing though, this this is what this is the caveat that everybody I think is missing, especially for the lower tier schools. Schools is trying to play it by the rules and play it safe and all that, where there's other schools, you know, there's a line in the sand, and they just dive over that fucking line, right.
Speaker 2: They don't care, They don't.
Speaker 3: You know why they don't care, guys, It's because there's a thing called a TV contract for eight billion dollars.
Speaker 2: Eight billion fucking dollars, guys.
Speaker 3: Okay, So they're not going to take certain schools off of that contract and then have to answer to all those other people that are out there that they that have contributed to that eight eight billion dollars. Okay, in the big ten, I know, we have a big problem. Everybody's pissed off. What's going on with those assholes with you know, I've seen some questions about Connor stallions cited from Michigan being on our sideline and the cheating that was going on down the road and the fucking guys they literally were cheating. But you know what, talking to Ryan Day personally, I talked to Ryan Day personally. He said, they ain't doing shit to those guys. I don't know why everybody's making a big stink of it. This is you know, six months ago he.
Speaker 7: Said that to me.
Speaker 2: I heard it. I'm not bullshitting you. Why is he saying that, guys?
Speaker 3: Because there's eight billion reasons they're not going to bring the hammer two institutions.
Speaker 1: Like that, Well, why are we?
Speaker 3: Why are we pussy footing around with these rules until let me tell you something, until you allow the actual labor, the players to negotiate with the front office types. None of this shit matters. So we should just go ahead and we can argue and point the finger in n I l transfer port all day. They needed I think they need to eliminate. They need to make some changes, but everybody needs to come up there and play a transparent game together and do it like the pros.
Speaker 1: Do it right now.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and I mean as much as like we can.
Speaker 9: We could come up with a million things the bitch about with the NIL ear and how it is, But look at.
Speaker 7: The Big ten. You could say they've passed the SEC because of it.
Speaker 10: And why is that?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 9: Because now everybody is doing what the SEC did for all those years. But like that that Dodge charger that.
Speaker 7: Nick Saban was given, everybody's not enough anymore.
Speaker 5: Like.
Speaker 9: So, I mean, so it leveled the field where yes, it's not a perfect thing, but Michigan State, guess what, they can go get a Connor more out of the transfer port, or they can hold on to a Nick marsh uh, you know, or in the high school stuff, and you could go through that at the Big Ten, the Big twelve uh, and the SEC. It's like everybody's doing it now where before, yes, like you had teams up here like Ohio State and maybe Penn State uh doing what they were doing down in the SEC before and Io was a thing. But for the most part, we the Conference wasn't doing that, like like to the level that the SEC was. And now that everybody's able to do that, you're seeing way more parody and you're starting to see kids understand that opportunity instead of logo chasing is important. Like that's not Alabama still getting five star guys, but they don't have ten five star guys in their depth chart, you know, in their second and third string like they used to. Now those guys are going to other schools and getting a starting role and money, and that's.
Speaker 3: Something we talked about Swerve, Like, you know, there's some schools. There's a lot of schools, even lower tier group of five schools. I know, it's like Power four schools in that group of five as second tier, the MAC and AAC and whatever they they're those other names, those other conferences that are selling reps. You know, look, you want to go to Michigan State and get buried on the depth chart or do you want to come over here and we'll give you a bunch of you know, reps and you're gonna get a lot of film and then hell taxes to come get you when you get to be a junior that's being sold right now. You know that's that's real because you know, guys that are you know, I'm happy to be at a Michigan State or you know, Illinois or Purdue, whatever the hell that is. You know, if you if you really aren't going to crack that depth chart, if you're not good enough to get there for three years and ship, you might as well go to a lord tier school in order to keep playing, because that's really where your evaluation comes from and actually getting on the field.
Speaker 9: And the other are the guys getting paid in the transfer portal because they have production. Like people aren't going and say, you know this guy that went to Alabama and sat for two years as a five star, like he hadn't done anything, so he's not getting that money. Where you look at like Michigan State, Josh he and Texas State a really good small program, like like they're they're absolutely beaters, cool to power for teams, like like they get some absolute dudes there for whatever reason, whether it's academics, maybe they they were smaller and they physically got better. And that's a school that develops kids. So Texas State, Montana State kind of more like they played for the national championships. The only game they lost was the North Dakota State in the National championship.
Speaker 10: Uh, let's see who else we got here?
Speaker 7: Like wake Forest, b y U Army.
Speaker 3: You know, Pillage the people, pillaged, the fill out of force whatever you've seen that this year, you know what I mean? And had a whole run, hit it and swerve. I know you'd like to hear this. One of the greatest running backs all nine can walk in the third came out of Wake Forest, a virtually unknown commodity.
Speaker 2: We played against him in the pens rifle Is that right? Big move? Yeah? You know and I heard their culch.
Speaker 5: He since has left, but I heard him speaking a couple of years ago and he talked about Wake Force and how good they had to be in their evaluation because he said they very rarely got walk ons because the tuition was seventy grand a year, so their scholarships were really really valuable in his mind, and they had to be great in their evaluation. And it showed because they were getting pros and you know, guys are going in there, you know, going away Forest and then going to the league. So it doesn't surprise me that that we were going there and find some good football players because they were great in their evaluation.
Speaker 10: Same with the Indiana running back this year.
Speaker 7: He was a Wake Course kid too, so they started doing it.
Speaker 2: People course is like a Northwestern They don't know, people don't you know, that's not a common you know.
Speaker 3: Now, let's thing that's a tough school to get into. Anytime, you know, you know, K nine, he loved anime. Anytime you see anime, you know they got an intelligence.
Speaker 7: Bro.
Speaker 2: You know, Swerve, you don't you don't like anime, but you got a different kind of intelligence.
Speaker 5: The only the only anime work, swore said the only anime. He like his team, the Turner, the Cake and May.
Speaker 3: The smart. But he always gonna try to act like he the double stept. But even one of the smartest guys I haven't met my man, don't look a straight I live in the South.
Speaker 2: Don't let them. Don't let them country slow dudes for you. Don't let him fool you.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 5: They playing, Hey, they planning you. You know, Hey, don't let them country slow dudes for you.
Speaker 2: They know they spotted you. They spotted you down there at the creek.
Speaker 5: They know all.
Speaker 2: Don't let him fool you.
Speaker 1: I are just here for a good time.
Speaker 2: So the NFL. I mean, it's you know, it's uh jay Z, It's you. That's about it.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 2: Listen, this is this has been great man. You know we can talk for three four five hours. I know that. I know a big movie. You used to doing that. You know, listen, I'm running a long battery.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: We we I'm in the car. We we we we we appreciate what you.
Speaker 1: We want to say.
Speaker 2: We're gonna put leave.
Speaker 5: Some meat on the phone, some trail on turn But hey, I'm gonna pull up on y'all this weekend.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna pull up. You better pull up.
Speaker 3: More time for the people, so we know what's up. This is it right here, Mash, this is party man ship. We're gonna be live Saturday February. This is a couple of days from now seven pm, you know, until don't miss the opportunity to meet all the Spartan Dollar's gonna be a lot of people out there, gonna have a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Hey, Cory, see Rob gonna be in the house too. Man. You're gonna bringlu.
Speaker 1: Come on, bring.
Speaker 2: Sword, bring me a jam pony t.
Speaker 1: Keep him in the.
Speaker 2: Man, you know what. Congratulations of time story.
Speaker 3: He's out there cruise in the world on his new engagement to his beautiful brother. Hey, congratulations time story, she said, yes, everybody, so congratulations to that.
Speaker 5: Uh, don't do it, man, And before I hop off, y'all show man, thanks for having me on here. Man, it's cool talking to two legendary Spartan dogs. All big ten swerve. You know you already know how you put it down. Three three, my man, Corey, you already know you my guy, wealth the knowledge men is grave be hopping on here. But Trevor hit me up in the chat and asked me if I remember Op King. That dude is a legendary Michigan State poster. Trevor, you tell Op King? I said, hello, Okay, you.
Speaker 1: Know I saw them.
Speaker 3: Telling my city. Big move, says he Low. Hey, man, we appreciate you guys coming on man as always, guys, swear gott to find the comments before we get out of here.
Speaker 2: I know you want something.
Speaker 1: Hey listen, great show, a lot of knowledge. We always know how to pick them, and it was great. But I'm not I'm not.
Speaker 3: I'm not looking forward to the twenty seven degrees, but I can't wait to act of don't.
Speaker 2: It this weekend and.
Speaker 1: Go agreed, go White, see you Friday and sets.
Speaker 5: I think I think Jay Straight still got that lubber Jack Colt from back of the day.
Speaker 2: You can let you halt. Yeah, that's what we want to talking about. I was like, it's gonna be a little.
Speaker 3: Big on you.
Speaker 1: No, no matter of fact. Corey.
Speaker 5: Let me borrow your cat when I leave, you know, and y'all be cool. Ma, I'm gonna hop off man, y'all be cool. Thanks for having me on there, all right there for a minute.
Speaker 2: Big move. You know what I'm saying. You know, just because it's for you. From Big Move okay.
Speaker 3: For see uh, for sid the Grave from Jason Story Law. This is wart I an't ask you. Everybody, have a good night, God bless you all.
Speaker 2: Gen go White