Speaker 1: You can call her the Winioga as well. She's there. She just brought in two spectacular wines and I found out one of them is actually a gold medal winner for the Governor's Cup, and we're going to talk about that in just a moment. But Oktoberfest right around the corner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't believe we're already hear.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 4: And Octoberfest always gets confused because it takes place in September.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you know, German translations.
Speaker 1: Whatever, It's fine, it's fine. So you just went to Germany, though, I did.
Speaker 3: You did?
Speaker 1: She just did the same trip on a different line that we're doing for the Mandy Connell Adventure and starting out in Switzerland, yes, and then going and going up the Rhine to Amsterdam. Yes. Somebody said in earlier and said, what is something on that trip that maybe is off the beaten path or that we should look for or know about? That you did? And I got to tell you. For me, it's the vinegar thing. But I'm torn because I would love to do a vinegar tour. Chuck hates vinegar, and.
Speaker 4: I don't know, I don't know if you guys are going to be stopping in that same place where you can go to that vinegar.
Speaker 1: Yes, but that's the Heidelberg stop, isn't it. It is.
Speaker 4: We ended up taking a coach to Heidelberg. Yeah, so I don't know if there's if like they will still have that because it's out in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of vineyards and stuff like that, because it's they're making vinegar so from grape must Oh my gosh. Yeah, that was absolutely amazing. And then so that would be along the Heidelberg stop. And while it's not off the beaten path Cologne if you've never been to Cologne, we were just mesmerized.
Speaker 2: We were fortunate enough to be there.
Speaker 4: Well, it was kind of a catch twenty two, so we were blessed to be there when they it was a holy day of obligation. I tried with my best German to say, we're Catholic so we could go in for the Mass, but we weren't allowed because it was basically for all of the local right rushes. But they had everything was taking place outside and they had just the most i mean, angelic, beautiful music just kind of soaring up out into the universe. And as you were walking around Old town Cologne, just hearing this gorgeous music and then the bells started ringing and that cologne was absolutely stunning.
Speaker 2: To see the dome and cologne.
Speaker 4: I would We're definitely going to go back at some point because we've got to get inside to see it, and I you know, five stars, we'd do again. In fact, I'm doing the Dan you've been in April well, and.
Speaker 1: I got to tell you, guys, I talked to cruise into our last week and we're like three quarters sold if we haven't even done the advertising yet. So if you want to go with us, we're going in October of twenty twenty six. We're going on Emerald, which is a different cruise line. All of the river cruise lines are spectacular, and Cruise in Tour finds spectacular cruise lines, so it's a really good one and we're going in October of next year. You can go to Mandy Connell trip dot com and find out more. But if you're thinking about it, I will go ahead and throw a deposit now, because I mean we may be able to add some cabins, but we are three quarters with all former travelers, and I'm just gonna say this, not that I don't love all of our travelers. We got some good ones already on this one, some of my favorite people to travel.
Speaker 2: I would have loved to have done it.
Speaker 4: But we're going to be doing Naples the month before, like I would get back and then I write back around and go back over.
Speaker 1: So, and my mom's going on this trip with us. I was excited about I and the cue It'll be the cuees last trip with us because she's going to be in college after that. So let's talk about Octoberfest. I thought you're little on by the way, every time Crystal's on the show, she does a really good blog post that has all the information about everything we talk about on the show and the wine. So if you're driving and you want to know about the wines that we're about to talk about, you can do that as well. But you have a nice history of Octoberfest.
Speaker 4: And so yeah, in eighteen ten, you had a couple of German monarchs get married, and so they decided that they would spend the entire month in Munich. So they were Bavarian nobility, and they spent the entire month of September partying like it was I don't know, eighteen ten, and so it just kind of just took hold. It's at the end if you think about it, it's at the end.
Speaker 2: Of harvest YEP.
Speaker 4: People have been out working and to bring in the harvest, you know, backbreaking work and take a moment to reap the rewards of everything. And so obviously when you are talking about beer and that is kind of in Munich again, that's another life ambition, is to actually hit Octoberfest in Munich. It's it's a big celebration and it's a great time of music. If you like to polka, I love to polka?
Speaker 2: Does you good Polka? I mean that how long you can't hear polka music and just not be Like for.
Speaker 1: Me, I'm kind of like like I feel the same way about mariachi music. It's like you have to be happy if you hear mariachi music. You have to be happy if you hear polka music.
Speaker 4: And so a lot of the octoberfests that are around Colorado, and there are plenty of them spread out through the month of September. I included several all along the Front Range and up in the mountains, different themes.
Speaker 2: Different contests.
Speaker 4: They're always a lot of fun and I normally would be attending a lot of you know, our local Octoberfest, but it falls into a time where I'm not.
Speaker 2: Going to be consuming alcohol. I'm not going to be eating bread in Gluton.
Speaker 1: So you can go get a Schweinehassen.
Speaker 4: It's all of those things like big crispy pork knuckle thank you. Yeah, but I love schweine Hawsen that the temptation would be.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: We've also got to wine walk on here as well. September thirteenth. This is down on the Dairy Block, yep, and super fun. A kind of spearheaded by Blanchard Family Wines and brings in a bunch of Colorado wines and wine makers and it's just a really fun day.
Speaker 4: And there's sent me a few last I looked at the winemakers coming in. I believe he will be having some that were part of the Governor's Cup that won some accolades this year.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about the Governor's Cup for a second, because I actually love the concept of this. I think this is a very cool event. They bring in some mallyays and you know, big wine muckety bucks in to judge all of these different Colorado wines from all of these different Colorado wineries, and there is a I'm just saying that the wine Yogi endorsed wineries had a very very good year in the Governor's Cup. Which were the ones that you were the most excited about so well, actually.
Speaker 4: The most excited exciting one that I was thrilled to see on there is when I've not talked about before, mainly just because I haven't gotten out there as much as I would like to.
Speaker 2: I'm in that Stone Cottage cellar. They are absolutely.
Speaker 4: Fantastic, beautiful space there and outside of Paonia, just a lovely vineyard and really excited for them. But my friends that I'm I am really good friends with over the folks over at Carboys, so Ti zak Is and Kevin which we've had Kevin Webber.
Speaker 1: And they're super accessible. Some of these winemakers that we're going to talk about, Yeah, you kind of have to be on the Western Slope or in their wine club to get access to their wines. Carboy has a joint right there on Santa Fe that is outstanding.
Speaker 4: And also in downtown Denvers they have another place as well, but so Carboy's very easily accessible.
Speaker 2: Yes, their cab Franc.
Speaker 4: Was recognized, so I looked to see if I could pull a cab Fronk and I don't have it. I haven't picked up my club order from Carboy this month. But so Carboy one Savage Spectrum, which is out of Palisade. So Patrick and k Bob are the two wine makers. They're o and it just escaped me. It's a new grape for them. Also one of red wine.
Speaker 2: And then the.
Speaker 4: Storm Cellar, so Steve and Jamie from Paonia, so they're down.
Speaker 2: In West elks Aba. They had two gold medal winners.
Speaker 4: So I brought in there Alberino from twenty twenty four because I saw that that was on the list, and so that was what I grabbed on my way out the door.
Speaker 1: What did we taste today? The these two wines, you guys, they're like a chef's kiss, and they are not normally wines that I would gravitate towards because they're very fruit forward. And the wine that you know, what is the price point on that one? That was a little bit lower.
Speaker 4: The Alberino from Storm Cellars twenty five Okay in retail that was delicious and you can get Storm Cellar along the front range, so like we carry it down at the Wine Gallery. In fact, next month, I'm going to be having a wine and food pairing classes in September and it's going to be all focused on Colorado and I am doing German wines. Go back to our original German and Austrian wines this weekend on Sunday, So we still have some spots available for German wine and foods if you're interested.
Speaker 1: But the can I say a moment about German and Austrian wines for just a second, because my entire childhood all German wine that I ever had, not childhood but young adulthood. It was all super sweet. And then imagine my delight when I go to Switzerland and I found out they're just holding all the super dry, mineral forward wines over there. They don't send them here.
Speaker 4: They do, it's just they're just really expensive, so they're more expensive than what you normally find. And again it goes back to they were sending them, but wine shops, especially if you were buying wine at like a liquor store or a grocery store, you are never going to see anything other than aush Leisha's spate lesa wriestling.
Speaker 2: In a blue bottle.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 4: So yeah, there are some amazing wines. I'm gonna have a Pinot Blanc. I'm having a sparkling green er velt Line from Austria that's made in the method Chimp and wise, and then I'm gonna have some really beautiful Austrian and German reds that I'm really one of them.
Speaker 2: I'm really excited about to try red blend.
Speaker 4: So give me a lot of fun with the food pairings too, just to kind of kick off October fests.
Speaker 1: So, and if you're in the Springs, or you are close to the Springs, or you would be willing to drive to the Springs for one of these tastings, she has a couple of spaces left. They do sell out, I will tell you that. So if you would like to go to one of her wine pairings and that stuff, you should probably go today and go to the blog that's linked on my blog and or just go to I Am Thewineyogi dot com and go ahead and sign up for those wine pairing events. They're very there. Yours are much fancier than the wine pairing stuff that I've gone to in other places. I'm not gonna lie because you like make all this food.
Speaker 4: I do, yeah that When I do the classes, I'm really focused on wine and food pairing. So it's more than just kind of a sample of cheese or sharcotery. It's more of how would you pair this? And I even will include recipes. My last class, we made are French vinaigrette in class and then dressed their own you know, everybody dressed their own salads to their liking. So they're really fun and interactive and small, so you can have kind of more of a conversation about wine.
Speaker 2: So bring your questions.
Speaker 1: Well, I have a challenge for you before your next appearance on the show. Okay, I'm looking at the list of winners from the Governor's Cup. Oh and by the way, I also link to an event spy Guilt on the blog today spy gelt one that Savage one for So there's an event called Colorado on Court and it's coming up on Saturday, October eighteenth, and you can go. It's a at the History Center in downtown Denver, and you can go and taste all of these wines that we're winning. So it's a that's very cool. I think that's very very cool. Let me just say this, though, I'm looking at a lot of these wines that just won prizes, okay, and I'm gonna read these out, Okay, blanch Family Wine's one with a twenty twenty five or twenty twenty four of vie guilt, which I guilt? Yep, what the hell is that?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 1: I Okay, I've got Cabernet Sabion, I've got you know, I've got your basics. Wait wait, I'm not done. I'm not dead.
Speaker 4: I'm just gonna say, come to my class this weekend. You'll find out what vikel iss.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 1: But you got a five velt a Cabadet franc A Cat, Catelli Cat, We're Cat's itll something Aramela Cabadet franc Petite Verdeaux, and another's Viegelt petite Sarah. I know that one Pino great, know that one Shamborsen, Shamberson, Shamberson, no clue you've had, and Alberino is just a delightful light. Do me a little list of what all these things are like, where do they lean? Give me a little give you a clue, because now I feel like they're just throwing new things at me because I finally just learned all the old stuff.
Speaker 4: Well, so like it's also what happens can't happen, Like terms like Limburger is the German version of La Frankish, which is the Austrian version of this particular grape varietal, which they're very close to Pino noir, and they're all cousins and related in some ways in some cases. But yeah, I can do that, you know. But Alberino is a Spanish grape. I'm Shambers. Sin is Uh is actually a varietal that does really well here on the Western Slope, and so you will often find either just Shambers and red wine.
Speaker 1: You'll find.
Speaker 2: All of these wines are dry. Ok, every single wine.
Speaker 4: That you just listed off, they're dry. They're going to compete in dessert wine categories. If they're competing, they're not gonna they're not going to be sweet wines.
Speaker 2: They're gonna all they're all going to be dry.
Speaker 4: In that case, they might be a little bit fruitier, a little fruit more fruits.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about the other wine they they brought.
Speaker 4: Vignols is from a new winemaker that we met at sip Into Spring, which is an annual tasting there in Palisade and Alex torrez Is his vineyard is down in Hotchkiss, Uh, which is south of Paonia over on the western slope, and Vignols the grapes are grown by the folks that are growing grapes for Sabash spectrum. So he sourced the Vinyols grapes, which is a white wine out of the Grand Valley.
Speaker 2: And we met him tasted as wine.
Speaker 4: All three of us have been drinking quite a while, but this white wine just exploded on our pallets.
Speaker 2: We were all shocked by it.
Speaker 4: And before I went to the Storm Cellar when they announced that they had won two gold medals for a winemaker dinner up on the mesa A a couple of weeks ago, I stopped in at Fallen Mountain and Alex tasted me on all of his wines and I was able to bring a case. We're the only ones that have it on the front range. This wine I will be pouring next month in September when I have my class on Colorado wine. So yeah, absolutely stunning wine, gorgeous, bright acidity. It's just got stone fruit and just all of this mouth feel that if it's difficult to describe.
Speaker 1: The mouthfeel is what got me. And the fruit is very I want to say pronounced, but that's not the right word. It's because I don't love if something is super fruity. If I can taste every fruit, I don't enjoy that. It's just not. This wine just kind of coats your mouth. It's just delightful.
Speaker 4: I feel like when you start getting down to things like watermelon rind or close to the pit and like an apricot or a peach. To me, this is what the fruit reminds me of so much in this particular wine. It just yeah, and it does that. This cidity is to me what I really appreciate.
Speaker 2: About both of these wines.
Speaker 4: Alberino was known for it's uh acidity and its just absolutely this this.
Speaker 2: Vignyols we had to bring it into our store.
Speaker 4: It's slightly more expensive than the Alberino from smorm Cellar.
Speaker 1: But what a perfect wine for Thanksgiving.
Speaker 2: It's going to be amazing for Thanksgiving.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just got this one Mountain Harvest Festival in Paona in September. You going to that one?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Oh, you're getting You're on the wagon.
Speaker 4: Seventy five hard starts on September thirteenth, if anybody wants a nice little challenge that'll finish right before thanksgivings.
Speaker 1: Mandy did wine? You know you get some coal spears in Cologne?
Speaker 2: Did you some culsh?
Speaker 4: And as we were sitting there looking at the twin spires, which is what if it's going to be called culshit has to be made within in view of the twin spires of.
Speaker 1: The dose cool.
Speaker 4: I didn't know that it's very cool and you'll always see the umlaut on the o's. And there was a question earlier about mold with wine.
Speaker 1: Yes, I forgot to get that.
Speaker 2: Noble Rat is what it is.
Speaker 4: And if you've ever had blue cheese, for example, it's the same strain of penicillin. So I just always look at it as if you drink a soturn or late harvest reestling, you're getting your dose of penicillin. It pairs perfectly with blue cheese, you're getting another dose of penicillin.
Speaker 2: And I'm boarding off and you're just curing yourself.
Speaker 1: So basically, when you're drinking one of these wines that's created with Noble Rot, you're just like, it's for my health, for my health, I mean, it really is no. There's so much cool chemistry to wine making. And when I went to the winery in Indiana, Turtle Creek Winery, as this guy was an actual chemist, and he was so geeked out about the chemistry aspect of wine tasting. But I'll be perfectly honest, he had never done like a wine dinner before, and we tasted wait for it, seventeen wines in one dinner, y'all. I had to be carried out there at a wheelbarrow. I mean I was not driving, thank god, because I would have just had to lay down on the ground and go to sleep for ten hours. But he was so geeked out about all of that stuff and how no broad affects this, and I mean, it was just really really interesting. So if you ever have a chance to do a wine dinner at a vineyard with the vinnor, it is so fascinating. It's just really really cool stuff. All right. Check out the wine Yogi's blog and I amthwineyogi dot com, or just go to my blog and find out more about Uncorked in the Governor's Cup and enjoy your wine, and trust me, it might be worth a trip to the springs. Just to get a bottle, a few bottles of this forty five dollars wine. It's so good, so so good. But now it's time for the most exciting segment on the radio of it gone in the world of the day. All right, Hello, I can't grab my question Sriah yeah, my bad. Anyway, what is our dad joke of the day, please, Anthony.
Speaker 3: I'm thinking of taking up coin collecting. I believe the change will do me good.
Speaker 1: Ah wow bad yeah, yeah, anyway, what is our word of the day please?
Speaker 3: Adjective adjective flexuous what f l u or l e x e x o us.
Speaker 1: As sensuous, so you know, scilly bendy.
Speaker 2: Since she was up, go get me another class of wine.
Speaker 1: Uh oh, that's goods like yeah, flexuous like I'm gonna yeah, I'm gonna say it's something extremely flexible, flexuous, full of bends or curves. There we go. That was kind of an easy way. In the history of the Roman calendar, the year forty six BCE was the longest year ever, lasting four hundred and forty five days. Why, I don't know, no clue detail. Prior to forty six b C, the Roman calendar was based on lunar cycles and had fallen out of alignment with the solar year. Julius Caesar stretched forty six pc to get things back on track, ensuring that the following year started after the winter solstice.
Speaker 4: So there you go, if you can only get rid of daylight savings and the changes and all that.
Speaker 1: You mean, the racket of daylight saving nonsense, crap anyway, coming to fall back though, I'm not gonna lie. I'm already looking ahead, dude.
Speaker 2: I'm willing to fall into existence. Look at his weather that I brought in.
Speaker 1: I appreciate you wearing a blazer.
Speaker 2: And the ten day forecast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I already looked at that this morning fall. But I'm in early seventies next week, folks four like low seven, three of us. We're ready for han solo season. My wife tells me shut up all the time. My mom doesn't know. Now I'm ready. What is our Jeopardy category? Scratchy, scratchy? Every answer my voice has to do with something scratchy. No, what, okay, I'm just asking it.
Speaker 3: Scratching while playing pool generally mean sinking the cue ball. Sink.
Speaker 1: You're luckily I got the last.
Speaker 2: I ask a question of a question.
Speaker 1: I didn't I can't give myself an answer. Dang it right? Zero zero? Next average is give myself minus my name, and I didn't give the right answer. Ted Nugent knows this, sand Mandy, what is cat scratch fever? Probably back to zero.
Speaker 3: The name of this surgical knife comes from the Latin four to scratch, though it doesn't more than that.
Speaker 2: What is the scalpel?
Speaker 1: That's corrap? Dang it thought it's creak?
Speaker 3: Is someone who exchanges favors or services for mutual advantage?
Speaker 2: What is it backscratcher?
Speaker 3: Who there's often a scratchy sound when you play records made for this many rpm, the standard speed until the nineteen forties.
Speaker 1: Manny, what is seventy seventy rpm? Wrong? Seventy eight? Which means that was wrong for smoked me to bags on the phone exactly