Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families. Each Wednesday we bring you our thoughts on a newer entertainment property, and for this week of July seventh, we're continuing with Duster episode seven, K one twenty nine, which includes a child stowing away in the trunk of a car. Oh my god, it includes Scalo Gray are you putting on at just Chef's kiss performance? For uh? That weasel Billy not the same weasel as we've been talking about. He's he's part of it too.
Speaker 1: But yeah, but yeah, oh that scene when weasels on both sides of the last.
Speaker 2: That's right. But when Billy shows up at Jim's dad's house to kind of keep trying to get to the bottom of what's happening, Uh, you know why the translator, you know, he's he's and h Yeah, it's just delightful to watch Gaelo Grady get to work.
Speaker 1: And she just steps in like with no question and just goes with it. Yeah, so possibly we start to see what he likes having. But get that fur off my bleep and toilet seat I hate the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, that's it. Yes, so we have we have Jim, we have Jim Sacks and Luna going on a little day trip to Las Vegas. That was exciting. Got to meet Howard Hughes. I mean, they're really just bringing out all of the seventies characters that they can come up with.
Speaker 1: Oh and we find that this old thing, the whole thing they got from the Russians wore water Gate Tams Terry.
Speaker 2: Terry knew that Watergate was somehow and she was not happy.
Speaker 1: Frag didn't mister Friquellis write this. I'm looking over the list. Yeah, there are other things were happening in the seventies, you guys, right, But uh.
Speaker 2: I guess they're like, if we're going to all the trouble of making this a period piece, we're gonna lean in. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I guess.
Speaker 2: You're not buying it. But I feel like that was another uh TV trope, the UH child stow away. Well, I gotta take her with me now, I mean.
Speaker 1: They're in a pretty hot place, I know. Was she in the trunk?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he said a couple hours, didn't he.
Speaker 1: How is that possible? They're driving through the desert. Yeah, I don't know. She had like a little little one of those little battery operated fames in there with her. What that seems seems unwise on so many levels. But she didn't even look sweaty.
Speaker 2: No, Nope, she's just grown up in the desert. That's how to handle.
Speaker 1: She can take it hot weather, oh man. So she goes along, gets to meet Howard Hughes, eat canceled ice cream, and watch.
Speaker 2: Movies, charms both Howard Hughes and Sacks in the process. So I don't know, Jim, maybe you need to bring her along all the time, because yes, she couldn't.
Speaker 1: Be an asset she is. Yeah, yeah, possibly, uh A little little more useful in one who immediately gets himself cankeed down.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, that whole thing of like we let's just roll up to this house in the middle of the desert that we think holds a bad guy and split.
Speaker 1: Up his house. Yeah, and go down into the basement.
Speaker 2: What could Yeah, there's no escape from that.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, I just was you know, maybe I'm not at the point and I was yelling at the at the screen. Don't go down there, are you nuts?
Speaker 2: Exactly?
Speaker 1: Although I guess the trouble was upstairs, but still don't go in the house. Just I don't know. They can't. They can't trust the people with the bureau, so it's not like they can make a bigger thing out of it, I guess. But yeah, all sorts of trucks, many great Greg Grunberg, all upset at the danger they.
Speaker 2: Were, right. He seems like a nice man.
Speaker 1: He does. He's probably getting yelled at over the phone quite a quietly. Yes, yes, only some smoke monster could reach in and just pull me out here.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah, things are coming to a head. Since next week is then last episodes, right, the Weasley FBI Asian is on the job of getting Nina and Billy beats him to it there at the end.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it might actually be good for her that Billy came after her. I think that's how that's going to play out.
Speaker 1: The nutso cop who has been apparently in the hospital unconscious for all this time.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, he's awake now gifts us.
Speaker 1: With a dream sequence and then in the end, let's Billy know what's going on. So for that reason, Billy shows up at Nina's residence, right, and chloroforms are just before the Weasley FBI guy can get to her. Yes, all sorts of stuff going on. Which side would you want to get to you first?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, either way, it's going to be a pleasant.
Speaker 2: It's going to but somehow I think Nina will get through it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it's all coming together. So unfortunately it's coming together to have to do with Watergate. Checked. Don't use actual history, you guys, right, make up stories. We just want stories exactly. You can have your fun clothes and music and hair styles, but we don't care actual right, real life stuff. Yeah, but Nina and Royce are a cute couple. Yeah, immediately goes and like starts working him as an ass. Yeah, and also kind of kind of wins over his sister, Yeah, who is a good deal sharper, but still subject to flattering.
Speaker 2: Exactly, still able to be flattered into.
Speaker 1: See, if people don't get enough love from their father, they wind up just fallen for any CEP tip, don't leave your children susceptible to FBI agents. Let them know how you feel about it, what you value them.
Speaker 2: Although you know, Luna does seem to be loved and cared for, and still he's still crawling, still crawling into the trunk of a car that's going to be speeding through the desert.
Speaker 1: So that's true.
Speaker 2: But she may have solved the union problem.
Speaker 1: Sounds like she was the most effective spokespan if if they can get back and they can put this plan into action before something else happens to her mother. But by the direction to that union bos guy must just be be loathsome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just be that guy. Very creepy. I mean, I guess there's multiple people who get that directive.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of loadsomeness.
Speaker 2: I mean, with with Billy, it's quite a bit of a sibling rivalry vibes with him and.
Speaker 1: Jim, but he's also not wrong.
Speaker 2: No, he's not.
Speaker 1: He's protecting his boss, and he is correct. It's not like he's trying to sink a perfectly innocent guy by saying that he's in with the feds. Jim is indeed in with the feds. Right, So this is true and we care because he's our main character.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's Josh Holloway.
Speaker 1: There could be a whole another version of this show in which Billy is the hero.
Speaker 2: That's right. I'm sure that's the way Billy feels.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's that's the one plane in Billy's.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. I mean, I feel like the stepmother's situation. She really can't stand Jim, but she does she will protect his dad, and by extension, she kind of protects him.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's true. Fortunately those two things are sort of connected. Yes, we had a return of the cleaning Lady having Nina a tip. So see, this is a kid's being kind to the invisible helpers. Yeah, often pays you dividends.
Speaker 2: I mean, Nina did kind of already know that, so I'm not sure why they felt like they had to really spell it out just.
Speaker 1: To remind us, just in case you forgot. People are important, whether they're striking or not. You still should some respect and pay attention to them. See that guy going through her desk didn't even think about the fact there was a cleaning link's right, No, nope, invisible to him. But get into trouble. I guess a parenting tip from this is, you know, be careful when when speaking metaphorically to children, you know, fight fire with fire. Don't say that unless you actually intend for them to set a fire, which you probably don't.
Speaker 2: Yeh.
Speaker 1: Kids often, you know.
Speaker 2: They take things literally.
Speaker 1: They take things literally. They do not understand the nuances of language that you, as an adult do.
Speaker 2: Even even very smarty pants like Luna.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I don't know if I really buy she would set fire the kids comic book. So we're good. Yes, And so when you send kids to their room and they're super angry, make sure the window is locked, maybe from the outside, and certainly check on them frequently. Yes, you know, don't just go to your room or the windows open and the road is like a very short distance away and I'm sure you'll stay there.
Speaker 2: She didn't even have to like crawl up and climb down the window like like we were talking about Kate did from her cage like a teen girl.
Speaker 1: And uh, you know when you know that child nearby, always check your car trunk before. I never know how did she How how does one get into a trunk if one does not have the car keys?
Speaker 2: Well, this isn't old, this is the seventies. Like I feel like you just pop it open and.
Speaker 1: Get a piece of wire.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I mean you think he had it locked?
Speaker 1: Like, oh, okay, I don't remember that used to just used to be just able to open them with that key.
Speaker 2: Well even my car now, like if the car is not locked, there's just a button okay, pushed to spring it up.
Speaker 1: Clearly, I've not opened a trunk. We have a hatchback. I think it has a lock on it. Eh. Anyway, so yes, so you want to before you leave the house check that either the kid is in their room or the kid is not in your trunk because it's a long hot way. You know what if he hadn't heard her banging. Yeah, it's a long ride through the desert to get the Las Vegas. Right where are they? They're in Arizona, They're in Phoenix. Yeah, yeah, I know the drive to Las Vegas from California, which is through desert.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's.
Speaker 1: Very apropos for this show, because at least I was. When I was growing up, there was no speed limit. Oh once you got into the desert, and so people enjoyed that a great deal. Yeah, it would be just perfect for Jim exactly. I could not be breaking any speeding loss. Go as fast as he wants.
Speaker 2: He can just break a lot of other laws.
Speaker 1: What other parenting tips do we have here? If you are an eccentric billionaire, buy up all your favorite ice cream. Yeah, and then you can always have some for the children to come to visite. Wouldn't that be nice if something was being discontinued and you had both the money to buy it up and a place.
Speaker 2: Of the freezer space for it.
Speaker 1: Exactly, that would be pretty cool. Oh, this company's going out of business. I'll just take all of your stock put it down in the basement.
Speaker 2: My many, Wait, this is Arizona. There shouldn't be a basement, shouldn't That's been your first clue to be more careful.
Speaker 1: Right, let's go down into it, dad. Sure. Remember when I was in college, I was in a movie class and one of the movies we watched was Psycho, And there's of course the dead mother's down in the basement because you've seen Psycho spoiler. Yeah, and as the person goes down into the basement, like a whole room full of college kids screaming.
Speaker 2: What's the exactly?
Speaker 1: Yes, and so I still that's the feeling I had when she was going down. Nothing good can go on. The dangerous person was upstairs.
Speaker 2: Yes, Well.
Speaker 1: Where do we think this all is going to end?
Speaker 2: We'll find out.
Speaker 1: So there was some things in that when they were creeping around that house out in the desert with the basement, with the improbable basement where this scene was too dark for my computer screen. Do they think everybody has like pristine computer screens that they're watching TV screens? My TV screen is dusty. My computer screen is full of splashes of food I've eaten and stuff. I can't see things in the dark. Y'all stop it. But they still keep doing that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they don't listen. They don't, just like children. Oh well, we got one more week. Have we heard anything about there being more of this show beyond?
Speaker 1: I don't think so. Well. According to Comingsoon dot Net, Duster is neither canceled nor renewed.
Speaker 2: Okay, well that's helpful.
Speaker 1: We'll leave them out there in the middle of the desert. Yep, we'll be wondering whether anybody will ever come for them. Yes, well, next Wednesday, thirteen weeks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, next Wednesday, we'll just finish her up Dustar episode eight, and we'll see you back here tomorrow.
Speaker 1: They don't leave it on a cliffhanger that they can't they can't unhanged.
Speaker 2: Right, We'll see you back here tomorrow for our weekly Roundabout round up.
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links, and an all opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash Shop slash Mamitude, where you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.