Speaker 1: What do you get when one of the most respected television journalists of our time takes on one of television's greatest writers. What you get is sailing a Jenny into the Twilight Zone with TV's first visionary, the new book by Alan Sepinwar. Now, if you've been part of the Twilight Zone fan community over the past few years, you might have seen Alan around at events like Sailing Fest, speaking to fans and doing the work behind the scenes to bring this book together. And now all of that effort has paid off and the book is finally available for pre order. Now I'll put the links to Alan's website and a pre order link in the show notes so you can pre order your copy after you've listened to my conversation with Alan Sepinwall. It is my great pleasure to welcome to the Twilight Zone Podcast, mister Alan Sepenwall. Alan, welcome, It's good to see you. Tom.
Speaker 2: It's a pleasure to see you again.
Speaker 1: I'm so appreciative that you sent me a copy of the book. I've been really looking forward to reading it now. I haven't read it yet for a very specific reason, because I think whenever a work like this comes out that is really covering road sailing and his life and various other things things. Yeah, I want to kind of approach this on a couple of fronts, So I wanted to come into it relatively cold and talk to you about the kind of research aspect of it and what went into making it. And then maybe when the book comes out, you can come back on and we can get into the details of what's actually in it after I've read it. Would that be okay?
Speaker 2: I would absolutely love to thank you.
Speaker 1: What I find really interesting about your career, Alan is you know you have spanned some really big changes in the industry, not in just what we're watching, but how it's being reported. Could you give us a bit of an overview of your career and some of your highlights.
Speaker 2: Sure, I've been doing this. Last week was the thirtieth anniversary of my career as a professional journalist, so I've been doing this for a minute. I started at the Star Ledger newspaper New Jersey, which perhaps some of your listeners might recognize as the paper that Tony Soprano would go and pick up at the end of his drive at the start of every season of that show. So it was the big paper in New Jersey, So I happened to be there right as The Sopranos was about to debut. Therefore, right as television, as we talked about it was really going to change. So I had a front row seat to that, To the Wire, Deadwood, mad Men, a lot of these big shows from the turn of the century into the last few decades. After I was at The Star Ledger for fourteen years, I then moved on because the Internet made newspapers more challenging. I started writing for a couple of different websites, neither of which unfortunately exist, which means, you know, one of the perils of being an internet journalist is sometimes your work just disappears, and I'm doing what I can to try to recover that. And then I spent about six years writing about TV for Rolling Stone, and now I run my own website, What's allan Watching, And to me, the big change in terms of TV coverage is not just the amount of TV but the way we write about it. So when I started on this in the nineties, you would basically you'd get like one episode of a show on a video cassette because that's how long ago this was, and you would have to based on a single episode of a television show, you would have to be able to determine is this show good? Is this show bad? Is this worth your time? You know? And you know, among the things I sort of read in doing my research on Serling was you would have these people writing reviews of The Twilight Zone where they had just seen where is Everybody? Fortunately, whereas Everybody is a really great pilot, so you know, they had something to go on. But there's been so many shows over the years where it's like the first show is not really representative, and then you guess wrong, and so the big change is suddenly we started a getting more episodes, but be you would write about individual episodes what I guess we call now the recap, so it's you know, I would analyze every episode of The Sopranos, every episode of Breaking Bad, every episode of mad Men. My writing on a bunch of shows has now been collected into different books. But like just on because the thing is people wanted to know less what should I watch? Than Hey, I watched this great thing. What else can I think about it? And that's that's obviously something that you're doing, Tom. I mean, the people who listen to the show they've seen these episodes, you know, many more times than I have, you know, having written this book, and yet they still want to sort of come and dig in for more and get more of it, a sense more of a deep dive into what each episode, the story behind it, at what it means. And so you're getting recappers, you're getting podcasters, you're getting all of these other ways in which people can engage in television besides just you know, eight hundred words in a newspaper column.
Speaker 1: And I suppose that not all of us have people in our lives who we can talk to these things about. And I think one of the things I always appreciate is with these podcasts and so on, is that it is almost like having that friends who you can kind of speak about these shows with, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, it absolutely is. Actually just launched my latest podcast called TV is Good. And I have a friend named Catherine van Aarondonk who's also a critic, who lives one town over for me in New Jersey, and so we get together and talk about TV all the time, and eventually we're like, well, let's just do this, you know, as a show. But a lot of my friends in this world, and certainly a lot of my fellow TV fans are people I met online. My wife always tells the story about how, you know, I once took on a trip to Chicago, of all places, to meet a bunch of online fans of the nineties cop show Homicide Life on the Street because we were all unlike the same you know, mailing list serve about it, and eventually we decided to get together in Chicago was roughly the center of America, and so it was a place we could all easily fly to. But the Internet allowed that. Otherwise I would have like not known anyone who really was into that show.
Speaker 1: Looking down here as you may, I can see the people who you have spoken to in the industry throughout your career, people like David Chase, Vince Gilligan, and so on. Was Rod Sailing even if you weren't going in to have a conversation about him? Was he something that would just pop up throughout these conversations with these creators quite naturally over the years. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean David Chase, who created the Sopranos, is obviously a big Twilight Zone fan. It's a huge influence on him. He made a movie after the show ended called Not Fade Away, where the main character like starts a garage band and I think they're called the Twilight Zones. And in the very last episode of the Sopranos, what do you call it? The bard is playing in the background, so you hear what's Julius Moomer's agent saying, like the networks are looking for quality and the writer is top shelf or whatever the line is. And then in another episode someone compares or Tony compares his life to Rocky Valentine and a nice place to visit because sort of everything is going a little too well and he's not enjoying it. So that was a big influence, and so that would come up, and you know, with Matthew Weiner, who created mad Men, twilight Zone was a big influence there. It was mentioned on the show, and so these things would come up in conversation long before I ever got the assignment to write this book, and long before I felt frankly confident enough in my own twilight Zone knowledge to feel like, oh, you know, I could, I could go toe to toe with David. And now we you know, we will text sometimes about Twilight Zone and about his own interactions with with Sterling and all of that, and I'm like, oh, yeah, now I get what he's been saying all these years.
Speaker 1: So whenever a new book about the Twilight Zone or Rod Saling comes out, I always wonder what its focus is going to be. How is it different from what's come out before. So how would you describe your book? And you know, why did you decide to write it?
Speaker 2: Well, I'll take I'll take the second part first. This was a case. Often when I write a book, the idea comes from me and I say, oh, you know, I really want to do something about the Sopranos. I did a book called The Revolutionist Televised, which is just me telling the stories of a dozen shows from the turn of the century that helped sort of transform how we look at TV. In this case, an editor at Hachett Books reached out to me and said, hey, I think the time is right for a new Serling biography. There hasn't been. There have been a lot of like really great books, all of which I read, that are authoritative in different ways, like Nick Perez's book you know, that's covering the whole filmography. That's wonderful, and it definitely gets into biographical details within it, but there hadn't been like a full proper biography in a long time, and so my editor said, hey, would you like to do it? And the thing about having the job of TV critic in the twenty first century is you really don't have time to go back and watch old stuff unless you have a professional excuse for it. And so sometimes, you know, I will pick a book half as much just because I want an excuse to write watch it again. You know, I've got a book of At the Wire coming out next year, and part of it was like, you know what, I really want to watch the Wire, and I can't really justify it unless someone is paying me for it, So I will do that. So twilet Zones the show. I knew. It's a show I'd watched a fair amount as a kid. Certainly hadn't seen every episode, had never seen Night Gallery other than one or two episodes, hadn't seen any of the fifties teleplay, and all of these things were sort of on my I would love to get to this one day, and then it became harder and harder to find that one day, and so on an editor comes to me and says, hey, would you like to write a book about Rod Serling. My first thought is, hey, this is a fascinating person who is among the most influential people who ever work in the medium. I've devoted my life to covering I would love to learn and write more about him. And the other is, hey, if I do this book, I can finally watch all of The Twilight Zone and all of everything else. So that was that was really an exciting prospect for me. And then once I started into it, I was given sort of carte blanche to do whatever I wanted, and I started, you know, watching everything. I started reading everything that was available and watching interviews of his and all of that. And the thing that there are two things kept coming up over and over again. One is just how autobiographical Rod's work is, and it's just he's putting himself out there. He said once or twice, you know, all my characters talk the same and all of them are me, and that something you've talked about. And that's something that's really kind of clear in his work. He's taking his feelings and his life and putting it out there. And I realized I could structure the book so that every chapter was framed by me writing about a different you know, either Twilight Zone episode or teleplay or Night Gallery episode, whatever that he had written that in some way applied to that particular moment in his life. So the first chapter of the book is about his childhood in Binghamton. So before I get into that, I write about walking distance, you know, when we're talking about Night Gallery, I write about their tearing down Tim Riley's bar. There's a teleplay he did that almost nobody remembers, called Exit from a Plane in Flight, which was one of the things he did for the Chrysler Theater in the mid sixties, and it's basically inspired by the fact that he did a parachute jump with the eighty second Airborn like to celebrate his fortieth birthday, and he used that as inspiration for something and I looked at that, like, well, this is kind of a metaphor for that willlderness period in between Twilight Zone and Night Gallery for him, And so I use that. And so it's me trying to use his own work to tell his story. And that's part of what I did and the other thing that I thought about, And again it goes back to your question before about you know, all of these people I've known over the years who keep bringing up Twilight Zone. Is we all kind of know that Twilight Zone was a big influence on popular culture, but no one is necessarily like put that all together in one place. And because of what I've been doing over my career in all, because of all the people I know, and because of the reputation I've developed, I was able to talk to almost all of the big people who were in some way inspired by the show. So again, I talked to David Chase, I've talked to Vince Gilligan who made Breaking Bad. I talked to Gierymal del Toro. I talked to Jj Abrams. You know, maybe the most sort of overt Sirtling fan of them all, Damon Lindeloff, who co created Lost with him Ben Stiller, huge huge Twilight Zone fan, big and fl luents on Severance and a lot of the other work he does. Even some people you wouldn't necessarily expect to be like influenced by Serling. Rob Mack, who created Always Sun in Philadelphia and is now with Ryan Reylds, co owner of Wrexham. I was at an event with him and he asked what I had going on, and I said, while I'm writing this book about Serling, and he kind of grabbed my shirt and said, oh god, I have to talk to you for that. Like I'm obsessed with Rod Serling, and so Rob Mack is in the book with a lot of smart things to say.
Speaker 1: I talked to.
Speaker 2: Charlie Brooker, who created Black Mirror and openly admits, like I'm just shamelessly ripping off Rod Serling. This show would not exist if not for Twilight Zone, Ryan Johnson. There's just a whole lot of people, and even some of the people I didn't necessarily get to talk to, you know, Ryan Coogler, when he was doing interviews about Sinners, would say, well, the big influence on this movie is the Last Rites of Jeff Myrtlebank and twilight Zone is my favorite show. So I was able to in some cases where I didn't talk to people still use quotes from other stories. I was able to. Steven Spielberg agreed to answer a few questions by email, So that's in the book as well. You know, obviously not just his experience directing Rod with Night Gallery, but just the influence he had. And the thing about Rod that you learn is he was really self deprecating and to a degree really self doubting, and he said over and over in the final years of his life, no one's going to remember anything I did. No one is going to like Twilight Zone is going to go away, none of this is going to matter. And part of my goal with the book was to prove him wrong and to say, look, here are all these people who have contributed to all of these things that we love in the world, you know, and they're all saying, no, I wouldn't be doing this without Rod. I wouldn't be doing that without Rod.
Speaker 1: And that is.
Speaker 2: Something that I feel like as I was putting together the book that was in some ways as much as telling Rod's story itself, being able to tell the afterlife of Serling on the Twilight Zone went up being really special.
Speaker 1: I just like to maybe dig into some of your areas of research then obviously course you know fast, and maybe most importantly your interactions with the Sailing family.
Speaker 2: They have there have been other books written about their father which they were not crazy about, which you know, take a somewhat negative slant to him, and so there was some understandable wariness about someone coming in to tell Rod's story. But I hung around, and I hung around, and I sort of talked about my bona fides and my credentials. And I did speak to Anne for a long time. I did speak to Jody for a long time. I spoke to Jeff Serling. I'd spoke to family friends. Obviously, there's not a lot of people still around who knew him personally, much less worked with him. I spoked to Billy Moomey. I spoke to Janozoirk, who's one of the Night Gallery directors, shortly before he died. But mostly it's like the people who knew him are his daughters and his daughter's friends. And I talked to a whole bunch of that group, and they, you know, they shared a different version of Rod than you get from when you watch the guy on TV. You know, sort of the more relaxed and goofy guy that he was. And I would like to think, and you know, obviously they will be the judges on that that the person I'm portraying in this book is the person that they knew growing up with.
Speaker 1: A lot of the authors I've spoken to, I kind of love when they have stories about going to the sailing archives. Did you do any of that during your research.
Speaker 2: I went to UCLA a couple of times, and I'm based in New Jersey, so and I was limited somewhat with some health things in terms of travel, so I never went to Wisconsin, which I know is the big archive, but I had researchers there who were able to go through it to a degree. And also, obviously I had the works of Nick Pereisy and Martin Graham's and other people who'd been through a lot of that stuff, and so I was able to incorporate some things from there and give them credit for that. I spent about a week in going through their archives. I got some things from the Serling archives at Antioch College. You know, obviously Nick had a ton of stuff, and there was just it was really there's so much out there. And the great thing sometimes if you're writing a book about someone who has been dead for fifty plus years at the time you're doing it, that's hard. But Serling saved all these papers, all these letters. He gave so many interviews. I was able to really just like getting a newspapers dot com account for a year turned out to be just a spectacular investment because there were so many interviews and so many quotes he gave, you know, just accessing different archives. I have a friend who works at the Paley Center in New York, so any of the teleplays that aren't on YouTube or that are not necessarily available commercially, they've got a bunch of those. At one point I wanted to write about at I think the sixty two Emmys, maybe the sixty three Emmys. One of the Emmys in the early sixties, there was an infamous moment where he did a Schlitz beer commercial that had been pre recorded and they showed it like on the giant screen in the theater, and Rod was kind of mortified because this was before he decided, you know, to go full pitch Man, and I wanted to see what the commercial was, and the Paley Center had the actual Emmy telecast and I was able to go and watch it and take notes on that, and you know, so that's the thing that comes up in the book, and it really there's just so much out there, like I could barely I could barely scratch the surface of my research in terms of what is in the book, because I got I turned in one very early edit that was you know, would have been the size of you know, the King James Bible or something unabridged if that were to be published. And my editor looked at and is like, this is wonderful, Alan, There's way too much detail in here. You really need to pare this down a lot. And so, you know, I writers got to kill their darlings, and I tried to pare it back to the bear essentials.
Speaker 1: The battle is not what to put in, it's what to leave out. So yeah, absolutely, yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: I was at Ithaca and Kathy Michael, who's the archivist there, at one point, I'm going through the things and I discovered I knew that Rod had done like a radio interview with Regis Philbin shortly after the Twilight Zone ended, and they had it on audio cassette, and I said, well, you know, do you guys have a tape player because it did not occur to me to bring one. I thought this might be digitized, and they said, well, we don't, but we'll look for it, and they just, you know, she and her partner Terry Beth, who worked in the archives with her, they just sort of scoured the library until they found a cassette player elsewhere. And I was able to listen to this interview, and I went up using several quotes from it that really that's the great feeling is when you hear him say something that is the exact point you're trying to make. It's always better if it's Rod saying it, then if you're saying it as the writer, like he is the story, I am never the story.
Speaker 1: Through viewing all this stuff first hand, to reveal about road Saling as a person that maybe you hadn't been exposed to before, anything that quite surprised you.
Speaker 2: I knew the again, I knew the really broadest strokes about him before I did this. It's sometimes you go and you write a book and you're an expert on it already. That's been the case for me for most of what I'd done. This was one where I had to make myself an expert, and so I was learning a ton along the way. And so I knew he had fought in World War Two, but not really any of the details of it. And then you read something like his you know, first Squad, first Platoon, that story that he wrote in college that the Strand magazine published a few years ago, and you realize, oh, like this, this was just utterly traumatic that he would have went through something like this, And you can see that trauma and that sense of both guilt but also like difficulty accepting that humanity was capable of these things. That is suffused throughout his work. That's there all the time, regardless of whatever else he's writing about. This sort of of how can people do this to each other? You know, and I wish they couldn't is always there. I you know, I didn't know anything about his I knew he I knew of him as Jewish, so I didn't know he had raised his children, he and Carol had raised the children not as Jewish, and he had not actually converted himself. But like I did not know, for instance, about his like deep, deep love of Christmas, which is obviously a thing you see all the time in the show, not only in Twilight Zone but Night Gallery. The teleplays a few Stirling fests to go. I thought it was great when you did the performance of No Christmas is here, Like that's wonderful. Like this this idea that this man, because of the day in which he was born, but also the country in which he lived, fell in love with this holiday that in theory was not for him, and yet he made it for him.
Speaker 1: Now you've mentioned the the industry creatives who you've interviewed for the book and so on, which, yeah, I'm really quite pleased about because you know, we all know JJ Abrams is a Twilight Zone five and then we might get a SoundBite here and there, but I've always wanted to hear him and other people really get into that. Now. I remember speaking to Joseph Doherty when his book was coming out, Yeah, the TV writer, And what kind of struck me was that he just loved talking about rod Sailing. You know, there was a joyous kind of geeky enthusiasm when we spoke that It wasn't it almost wasn't really about the book anymore. I mean, was that common with the people that you spoke to, all these industry creatives.
Speaker 2: Absolutely? I mean it's the thing is you find if you do, if you do this job that I have for as long as I have, is sometimes it's really hard to get people to open up about their own work. They can be guarded in different ways either because they like David Chase wants the Sopranos to speak for itself. It's always like pulling teeth to get him to talk about theme or subtext or anything like that, you know. And then there's others who just for for whatever reason, don't really want to delve into what was motivating them to do this. But if you get them talking about something else that they love, they will not stop, you know. You know, giermal Do Toro, like we talked for an hour. We could have talked for like five hours, except he's ghirmal Do Toro and his other stuff going on. But like he just you know, it's sort of like if you watch a Rod Serling interview and he opens his mouth and a monologue spills out, you know, just improvised. That's what it was like talking to these people. They had so many thoughts built up and so much passion for it. I interviewed Pamela Adlon, who is an actress and a writer and director. You might know her best. She's the voice of Bobby Hill from King of the Hill, and she, you know, she talked about a lot of things, including the fact that one of her daughters is named Rocky Valentine, because that's how obsessed she was with the Twilight Zone. And you just you get a lot of that. There's so much warmth and enthusiasm for this work and the influence it had on them, sometimes as people, sometimes as creators, sometimes.
Speaker 1: As both we as well as that. One of the things that I was really impressed with and quite delighted by is how much you immersed yourself into the sailing fan community, going to Sailing Fest, speaking to those people. So why do you think it was important to do that?
Speaker 2: Because I wanted to get a sense of what people why everybody loves the show, not just the famous people, because obviously there's millions upon millions who have watched this show over the sixty seven years since it debuted. And I don't want to just hear from Steven Spielberg. I don't want to just hear from Ryan Johnson. I want to hear from the people whose lives it's affected, and I want to get their take on it. And it was I got to go to serling Fest in twenty four and twenty five. I don't think I'm going to unfortunately be able to be there at this summer's one. And love to everybody who's going to be there, who I got to meet, and many of them were quoted in the book, but it was I remember remember that first one especially, I went to like the ink wasn't even dry on the contract for me to write the book, So all I had done at that point was I had rebinged the Twilight Zone, you know, some episodes, seeing again many for the first time, and everyone around me, yourself included, could kind of tell I didn't know what I was talking about then, but they were really nice about it. It was really like, it wasn't gatekeepery. It wasn't you know, how dare you be the person to come in here and do this. It was we really love twilight Zone. We want you to love twilight Zone too, and if you're going to go out there and you're going to kind of spread the word, that's awesome. And I felt incredibly welcomed by everybody I got to meet, who had really insightful things. I could have just filled a book with, you know, their thoughts on the show, and it would have been great, and there's still a fair amount of that in there. But it was just it was so nice to be around these people and to see the passion and to see people engaged not just in talking about Twilight Zone, but you know, when you did, you're no Christmas this year reading or that you know they would screen an episode of The Loner or do any of the things that they did, Like it's people know and best for the Twilight Zone. But there's so much there, and these people were willing and excited to engage with.
Speaker 1: All of it, and I think a lot of them And this is one of the things that delighted me most. Although I haven't read the COVID to COVI yet, I did kind of skim through the book. There's names in there that I recognize, you know, from people who listen to this show and so on, and it was just it was just so lovely and I really appreciate you doing that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember I was the very first day I was there, the Friday of the twenty four fest. I'm wandering in the merch room and I'm I'm you wouldn't think it to look at me or to hear me speaking really loudly in my microphone. Right now, I'm kind of a shy person and so approaching strangers to like say hi, I'm so and so please talk to me. That's kind of a personal hell. And I'm just in the merch room and I see this guy walking around and I make myself off go up to him and say hi, and he says, you know, hi, I'm Andy Valentine. Nice to meet you. And Andy Yef. You know Andy. Andy basically became my tour guide into Serling fandom, and I just hung with him and his friends for several days, got so many great stories, so much like color that winds up being in there, Harold Clark, you know, everybody else I got to meet as a result of that. It was really just a joy. And everyone was so helpful and so nice, and the board was wonderful, Like it was really, I really felt lucky to have as many people open themselves up to me in a way that they did not have to. And I'm eternally grateful to everyone for that.
Speaker 1: Okay, so slight change of direction. Bough.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 1: In twenty sixteen, you wrote a book called TV. You co wrote TV.
Speaker 2: The book, Yes, yeh.
Speaker 1: And it's it sets out to do a definitive ranking of the greatest television shows of all time. Now we all have a good list, because it's a great inspiration for conversation, and I think disagreeing with them is as much the point as agreeing with them, you know, Yes, it's just there to kind of get people talking and stuff. Can you remember what position the Twilight Zone got.
Speaker 2: I think it's maybe eleven, maybe thirteenth. I would have to check it again. We're going back ten years, and I will confess again this was from before I was as steeped in the show as I am now. I co wrote it with a longtime friend of mine who I worked with at the star Letgerd named Matt's Dollar Sites. Matt was always mister twilight Zone, and so I think that was one of those where he was pushing it as far up the hill as he could get it, and I was saying, okay, sure, sure, that's fine. I just look, I know these other shows more so they wound up a little bit higher. Yeah, having seen it now, I think that's eleven or thirteen or whatever it is is too low.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, it's still pretty respectable, thoughts.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, out of all the shows that had been made from say, nineteen forty nine to twenty sixteen, that's good. But I think it's better, and certainly in terms of influence, yeah, it's one of like the three or four most influential things ever on TV. It's that it's I love Lucy and it's the Sopranos.
Speaker 1: Sure, sure, Okay. Now, I've asked this about of a lot of people on the show, and I would really love to get your take on it as a TV critic who's been in the business for so long. But people have tried, depending on your opinion, maybe they've failed, maybe they've succeeded, but people have tried to bring the Twilight Zone back. Do you feel that we can bring the twilight Zone back and have it be called twilight Zone and have it be successful and beloved, or do you think it is Rod sailing back in the day and that is what the twilight Zone is.
Speaker 2: It's really hard, and I think there's you know, I didn't watch a ton of the reboots for this just because it was Rod didn't write them, so it was ultimately beside the point. I talked to people who worked on all of them, and there's you know, there's some episodes I watched their site in there there's some good stuff. I remember liking eighties Twilight Zone when I was younger. There's some good upn episodes. There's a few of the Jordan Peele version I think are good, but it's never quite twilight Zone. Like the best of the eighties episodes could have been from all lots of different anthologies. They never necessarily felt like twilight Zone to me. Whenever any of them would remake an episode, it never worked I did. I mean, I liked the It's Still a Good Life sequel that the upn version did with an adult Bill movie. It's just hard, and I think Bill said to me something like, I think that they should if they try again, it should be called Tales from the twilight Zone or some other like. It still incorporates the title, but it makes it clear that this is not the Serling thing. But it's hard. I mean, Rod was special. He had an insight into the human condition that he was then able to marry with all of the genre elements that very few writers have. You know, he would be the first to tell you other people are better sci fi writers than him, other people were better fantasy writers than him. But what he was able to do in taking like those tropes and infusing humanity and infusing emotion and infusing philosophy into that very few people have ever been able to do it, and certainly not as well as him. And if you don't have that I don't know. I mean, I think Charlie Brooker has it right. The best twilight Zone reboot is Black Mirror, because one it's not called twilight Zone, and two it is doing what Twilight Zone did in the sense that it's about the problems we're dealing with now. And Charlie even said, like, if Rod was alive today and he was making twilight Zone now, it would be about phones, and it would be about loss of privacy and AI and all the things. I mean, there's a couple of AI episodes on the original show because Rod was way ahead of his time there. But you know, it's sort of a lot of these other reboo, which do have their merits, are trying to sort of be this old thing and this new thing at once, and I don't think that quite works.
Speaker 1: So, Alan, when's the book out? Where can people pre order it?
Speaker 2: The book is out right. The book is coming out rather on October thirteenth in the States. It will be out in many other countries around then. I can't necessarily speak to exactly when you can pre order it now. There are links if you follow me anywhere on social media, If you go to Alan Sepinwall dot com, if you go to what's Alan watching dot com, it's easy to find. The full title is Serling a Journey into the Twilight Zone with TV's first Visionary. But I have a very unique name, so if you literally google Serling and Sepenwall, you're gonna find it.
Speaker 1: Alan. I mean, it goes without saying I wish you all the best with the book, but I really want to thank you for, I guess engaging with me in the process. I really appreciated that. I thought that was wonderful, and I think what really stands out is, you know, not just the care you've taken to tell road Sealing story properly, but the way you've engaged so generously with the fine community when you've been on that journey. I think it means a great deal to all of us, and we thank you so thank you so much. Challenge, I mean, I.
Speaker 2: Got to thank you. Tom, Like the quotes of yours that are in the book are really insightful, and often, you know, sometimes in the book, I'm like choosing between five different people who said the same thing. Everything you said nobody else said, so it was like, Okay, if I want to make this point in the book, Tom is going to make it because he's the only one who thought of this. Like, your insight into his work, which should be great given the amount of time you've spent studying it all these years, is astounding. And I thank you. You were one of the people I met that first time, Like I thank you for not looking at me like something that had scraped against the bottom of your shoe and saying, hey, you know, welcome, let's talk and it's wonderful.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Tom Well, thank you so much for joining me. Alan. I can't wait for part two of this conversation.
Speaker 2: I will be here whenever you ask