Speaker 1: Heay back with you here on EXUS and Bros. Glad you're with us on this Monday time for Mondays with Mitch Mitch Lion's our friend Mitch Lion's Wealth dot Com joining us here like he does every Monday and sometimes when it's big football news as well. And he had a busy weekend. How are you, Mitch? Good to talk to you.
Speaker 2: I'm doing great. I'm doing great.
Speaker 3: How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm doing fine well. I was playing golf yesterday in the rain. You were doing what this past weekend?
Speaker 3: I was turkey hunting, which was great.
Speaker 2: We had some great weather up in Sears, Michigan at our hunting property and didn't see any gobblers. Unfortunately they're all on camera, you know, all April. But I couldn't get up there in April, so we gave it a gave it a shot. This week saw some hens, but going guinny gobblers coming in.
Speaker 1: That interests me because I've been deer hunting, I've never been turkey hunting. What's the thrill of turkey hunting compared to deer hunting, elk hunting, big game hunting, anything like that.
Speaker 3: I think it's part.
Speaker 2: The fun part is when you when you get a gobbler and you're able to call him in. You know, it's no different than I guess if you're grunting and had a buck answering and coming in on that. So he gets the heart pumping. But as you more than that, it's just time out in the woods. You know, it's not with my son's great time, great time in the woods with him, and it's just relaxing to get out in the morning and watch nature come alive.
Speaker 3: I love it. How how long have you been hunting?
Speaker 2: You know? I grew up hunting with my dad, deer hunting primarily. I haven't I haven't hunted turkey a ton, but we've got some honting propery. So we started doing that a couple of years ago, and it's it's good time.
Speaker 3: What's the biggest catch you've ever had? The biggest catch or biggest thing I had?
Speaker 2: I just had a really nice nine point buck off some corn property in my wife's family. She's I probably about fifteen years ago, but I was that one got the heart race and it was bigger than any deer I've ever seen in my life, and just a big old corn fed monster. And so that was a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: Love that. What else do you hunt? I mean, have you ever done the big game hunting?
Speaker 2: No, you know, I've not.
Speaker 3: I don't know. That just doesn't do it for me.
Speaker 2: The whole pay, you know, thousands of dollars. Yeah, yeah, I'm exotic analysts. This ever never been my deal.
Speaker 3: Are you a fisherman too?
Speaker 2: I do like to fish a little bit. We have a place up in Cadillac on Lake Cadillacs, so we'll get out and fish for some bass and pike and bluegill. I got a couple grandsons now, so we're gonna have to get them and gratiated into it this summer, so that'll be fun.
Speaker 1: I love that, man, I do. I think it's a way to spend time with people who mean something in your life, and you get a chance to really bond I think in hunting trips and fishing trips and things.
Speaker 3: Of that nature.
Speaker 1: Mitch Lions, Mitch Lions Health wealth dot Com joining us here on ex'es and bros. Don't forget the Mitch Lions well poll question. He's got the book Retirement of Steel, he's got the documentary Retirement Deception, and my favorite, the retirement red zone that really helps protect and create more income as you get older. Michigan State in need of a new athletic director. Alan Haller's out after three and a half year is he did some really good things. Adam Nightingale was a higher of his, Jonathan Smith was a higher of his. What are the what do you think Michigan State is looking for in their new athletic director.
Speaker 2: Well, the game has changed. Allen's a great guy. I came into Michigan State with Allen back in nineteen eighty eight as a freshman on the football team, so I have a lot of love and respect for Allen. But the game has changed completely. It's a professional league now, and you've got to have somebody out there that can rally the spartan faithful to give a lot of cash because at the end of the day, it's all about nil.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: These kids are not loyal to a school. The game has changed. It's just it's not like when I grew up and when you put in your four or five years or put in three years of time to even step on a field, because these kids are long gone by then they're going to chase, you know, chase the dollar. Or the opportunity elsewhere, and it's just it's just different. So it's going to be haves and have nots really quick if it's not already. And Michigan State's in danger of becoming the have not if they don't get, you know, raise the cash. And I hate it personally. I mean, I don't like where the college football game has gone.
Speaker 3: You know, it's interesting.
Speaker 1: Last week Wednesday night, I was at the Detroit Athletic Club.
Speaker 3: Actually thought I was going to see you there.
Speaker 1: Tom Izzo was there, Greg Campy was there, the president of the NCAA was there, George Gervin was there. We were talking about nil Is so brought up some incredible points, some really good points. But I was talking with some of the big donors afterwards, and I just asked him, how many times can you dip in to that financial well, asking for these guys over and over and over again for money to spend on players. What's the end game in this situation? Do you think where you're constantly asking for big donors for money.
Speaker 2: Well, here's the thing, how high can it go? Well, there's no salary cap in college sports right right, at least in pros. You've got you know, two three four year contracts that the players have to adhere to. You don't have a I mean, you know these kids can take money in January and leave before September and shoot, then you have to pay the money back.
Speaker 3: I mean it's crazy.
Speaker 2: And you know how much do they ask for it? Well, they're gonna want more than a kid down the road that's making you know, ten thousand dollars more than they are this year. So I don't know where it stops, Matt, and it's uh, you know again, I don't like it at one bed. It's killed. Honestly, it's killed. It for me as a fan, I don't know who's on the team from year to year. And I'm all about capitalism, but this to me is killing. Is killing the sport or four fans.
Speaker 1: When you talk with friends and you're at your tailgates in each lanting before games, are they giving you similar feedback than what you're feeling right now? Does that help justify? Because it's the way I feel too, because we are torn, You and I are torn on this situation because we both believe these kids deserve to be compensated. But as I've said for the last far, or five years. This is pay to play. It's not an il Andzo said the same thing on Wednesday night. What's the feedback you're getting from a lot of college football college basketball fans that you hang out with.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's much the same as it's how I feel, right. I mean, we all follow Michigan State because we love Michigan State. I don't get the impression that you know, all these kids are in love with Michigan State as much as maybe we are, right. I mean, it's it's hey, where can I go and get paid? And I get it. Man if I was eighteen years old, nineteen twenty years old, listen, I didn't come from money, so I would have been excited doing backflips for somebody to hand me one hundred bucks, much less, you know, a million dollars. So I get it from that standpoint. But again, as a fan, I really don't like it, and you know it's killing it.
Speaker 1: You did you see the clip of Shaduur Sanders with a call of Tom Brady, Deon Sanders, Tom.
Speaker 3: Brady, Shadever Sanders.
Speaker 1: I did not, Okay, So Dean Sanders is asking Tom Brady if his son should be worried about a Rolls Royce because he's got a Rolls Rice and Tom Brady says his ass should be in the film room. He should be more worried about film than cars, and that's I think that puts it, Yeah, exactly, but that kind of puts it in a pretty good perspective, coming from one of the grace of all time. All Right, before I let you go, Mitch Lyonswealth dot Com joining us here on Mondays with Mitch the Pistons run.
Speaker 3: And the difference of clutch players.
Speaker 1: Jalen Brunson hits that big clutch shot to finish off the Pistons and people view him as one of the biggest clutch players of all time. I think that's a little premature. What does it take to be the clutch player? And what is your overall thought on how the Pistons did this year, surprising so many from fourteen wins a year ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, clutch player man is just mentally tough, unbridled confidence in yourself right and knowing you're not always going to make that shot, but it doesn't affect you, right like Jalen Brunson. You know, whatever he turns the ball over, he makes a miss is a shot. He's coming right back at you right the next time. It's kind of like MJ or Kobe, Right. I mean, just absolute confidence. And it's not because they're just cocky. It's because they've earned that confidence training at the highest level. Right. You don't you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to your level of training. And these guys that are stepping up like that, that's because they practice at game speed. They they train at game speed, and they have ultimate confidence because of it. Now, as far as the pistons, uh, I'll go ahead.
Speaker 3: No, go ahead, Yeah, a lot of pistons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pistons. I mean, I think there's a lot to be excited about. It was a great series. I mean, they've got a lot of young players that have never been in that situation. Uh, they've got some players that had been. But you know, I think that that was a fantastic six game series. They're gonna they're gonna learn a lot from that. I don't think they were going to get past the Celtics ultimately anyway. But I think as far as you know, Caid uh, taking the next step next year, you know, maybe playing a little better down the stretch, he's been there. Hopefully he'll gain from that experience, and uh, you know, they'll get some guys, some guys back from injury that they didn't have on the playoff roster, and I'm sure they're gonna, you know, try to improve.
Speaker 3: Through free agency.
Speaker 2: But I think the future is really bright and I'm excited for the Pistons.
Speaker 1: Love the perspective, Love the website Mitch Lionswealth dot com, the book, the documentary, and the advice. Always great to visit with you. We'll talk soon. Thanks a lot, Mitch appreciate it. As always, on Mondays with Mitch