Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with Me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 4: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: It's five o'clock, straight up. This is your wake up call for Thursday, September nineteenth. I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Do you know if you don't have a radio near you, just go to your phone, go to the iHeartRadio app and you can listen live. You can listen to old shows. If you miss I'm a wake up Call, you can go listen again. If it's your favorite wake up call, you could just listen to it over and over and over again if you wanted to. I know Kono does. He doesn't tell us, but I know he does. I can see it. Hey, I'm breaking fashion law today. It's September nineteenth, it's after labor Day. I'm wearing white pants again. Did you know you're not supposed to wear white pants after labor day? I knew something about white Yeah, I don't know why white pants and white shoes you're not supposed to wear them after Labor Day. But you know what, it's still summer until Sunday, when it's going to be like ninety five degrees for the first day of fall. So I figured, why not. I'm a rule breaker. Here's what's ahead on wake up Call. Sean Diddy Combs is going to remain detained until he goes on trial for sex trafficking and racketeering charges. A judge denied his appeal to be granted bail yesterday. In denying the appeal, a judge sided with prosecutors, saying that Diddy is dangerous and a flight risk. Did He's been charged with sexually, abusing and exploiting women for more than a decade. At least fourteen people have been killed hundreds more were hurt when walkie talkies explos loaded in Lebanon. The explosions came a day after hundreds of pagers held by Hamas members exploded on Tuesday. US officials say Israel is behind it, but Israel has not claimed responsibility. We're going to find out how this was all pulled off and if more of this kind of action is coming. With ABC's Crime and Terror analyst Brad Garrett, that's at five point twenty. Cooler weather continues to help firefighters surround the big three fires burning in southern California. The acreage on all three is holding pretty steady. The nearly fifty five thousand acre fire in the Angelus National Forest, it's forty one percent surrounded. The one that was started in Highland is fifty one percent surrounded. And the fire in Orange and Riverside Counties, which has been the most destructive and has destroyed one hundred and sixty homes and buildings, is thirty one percent surrounded. We've been telling you about how Neil and I are going over the edge for the Union Rescue Mission. We're going to repel down a building to hopefully raise money to help the Union Rescue Mission. Well, we're going to talk to the vice president of philanthropy at Union Restle Mission, who's going to tell us more about the Rescue mission and why this organization is worthy of your donation and your hard earned money, and we do hope that you will donate, and we're going to be talking to him at the bottom of the hour at six oh five. It's handled on the news. The Feds have cut interest rates. Is it too late? Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A luxury yacht that caught fire in Marina del Rey has sank. The fire started at about eight thirty last night. Witnesses say they saw huge flames in what looked like fireworks shooting from the boat, named the Admiral.
Speaker 5: La.
Speaker 1: County Fire Captain Pono Barnes tells KTLA the owner confirmed there was ammunition on board. He says crews usually try to keep up with pumps when they put out a fire so they don't sink it.
Speaker 2: But unfortunately we had to apply enough water to get the fire out, and because of its location, it's here in about twenty feet of water.
Speaker 1: It's a very large boat, so it's sunk, but it's sunk in the slip, he says. Cruz also worked to keep fuel, oil and other contaminants from spreading out into the marina. News brought to you by American Vision Windows. The cost of borrowing money for home and auto loans and credit cards is on the decline for the first time in four years. The Federal Reserve cut interest rates a half percent yesterday. FED Chair Jerome Powell says the US economy is strong enough to support the cut.
Speaker 6: The labor market is cooled from its formerly overheated state.
Speaker 1: Powell says future cuts will be based on balancing inflation with job and housing markets. Police in Kentucky say they believe the body found in the southeast of the state is the same guy they've been looking for in connection with several shootings on an interstate highway. Police say the shooter fired twenty to thirty rounds near a highway exit nearly two weeks ago. A dozen cars were hit and five people were hurt. Two more cases of dengay fever been detected in La County. Health officials say two people in Baldwin Park have come down with the mosquito borne illness. Symptoms of dang include fever, nausea, vomiting, rash, and aches, and pains to the eyes, joints, and bones. Doesn't that sound pleasant? Death is extremely rare when it comes to dang gay fever. Well, let's say good morning now to ABC's Stephen portnoy. So. Stephen, it was a much aweighted announcement. Who would the teamsters endorse for presidents?
Speaker 7: And the answer is nobody. And that was the major headline yesterday. After endorsing every Democratic candidate since two thousand, since Al Gore's Gore, Kerry Obama twice, Hillary Clinton in twenty sixteen, and Joe Biden in twenty twenty, the Teamsters union says it will not endorse Kamala Harris, but it will also not endorse Donald Trump. Why it's kind of complicated and nuanced, but let me dig into it.
Speaker 1: Well, that's why we have you, Stephen.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 7: So, in the spring, when it was a Biden Trump rematch, a poll of the Teamsters found that most in the rank and file would support Biden again they saw him it seems as a pro labor president who marched on the picket lines and he was their guy. They endorsed him in twenty twenty, and most rank and file would endorse Biden according to the poll prior to the debate, prior to Biden dropping out. Well, the debate happened, Biden did drop out, and now it's a Harris Trump matchup. And when polled twice, the teams just rank and file said they would actually prefer Trump over Harris.
Speaker 1: They got the review, they got the results and went that can't be right.
Speaker 7: Let's do it again well maybe, but regardless, and two separate surveys it was pretty strong support for Trump versus Harris. However, the union leadership said that they cannot trust that Donald Trump would not veto a national right to work bill that might undermine union security clauses. And the union leadership has long been skeptical of Republicans and how they view unions for a number of obvious reasons, but specifically when it comes to Trump, you know, they listened to what he told Elon Musk about firing strike workers in violation of federal law. They point to the decisions of his NLRB while he was sitting president, and they fear the appointments he might make.
Speaker 4: In another term.
Speaker 7: And when it comes to things like that, the decisions of the National Labor Relations Board affect the ability of unions to organize and fight for their rights and collective action and undertake job actions. And they're also disappointed with the Biden Harris administration and the Congress because in twenty twenty two, you remember, there's a great national discussion about a freight rail strike, and in the end it was averted because Congress used its power under the Railway Labor act to prevent that strike by and by forcing the terms on the union. The Congress passed the bill, the President signed it that ended the possibility of a strike, and Harris apparently would not pledge not to do that again. How could she pledge not to do that again? Because it's not just railroads but also airlines that are covered by this law, and you know, there's the public interest in making sure the goods flow across the country and the people are able to fly. So for those reasons, neither Harris nor Trump gets a teamster's endorsement.
Speaker 1: So is the lack of the endorsement. It's a slap in the face for Harris.
Speaker 7: It is definitely seen that way. And Trump points to the poll numbers to say, ah, the union rank and file are with me. Well, he's going to say that, He's going to continue to say that. The union leadership says it's not quite the full story. There are many Teamsters locals that are supporting Harris, particularly in some of the midwestern battleground states. You have to also wonder how much it really matters. I mean, if it mattered that much, ask you that right, we'd have President carry In two thousand and four, and when Hillary Clinton would have never lost in twenty sixteen. Oh and maybe Bill Clinton might have lost in nineteen ninety six. So the teamsters don't always pick a winner. In this case, they're not picking.
Speaker 1: Anybody, all right, Steven Portinoy, thank you so much for the information.
Speaker 5: You bet.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The San Bernardino County sheriff says, a protective anti crime program, I think it's supposed to be proactive anti crime crime program is working.
Speaker 3: Operation Consequences began in twenty twenty two. Samonderdino County Sheriff Shannon Dikea says since its inception, investigators have made more than thirty six hundred arrests. Dyke says he believes the Board of Supervisors will continue funding the programs.
Speaker 9: In terms of their constituents in each one of the five districts, they're getting great feedback.
Speaker 3: The operation consists of investigators working leads, then serving search warrants. Investigators have so far recovered more than twenty three hundred guns and rescued forty four people from human trafficking in Samadardino Blake Trolley k.
Speaker 1: If I News thirty lashes Blake, I think you had a typo in your lead. Scientists say Southern California is part of a region in the US where Parkinson's disease is on the rise. Southern California and states in the Rust Belt and Sun Belt make up what scientists call America's Parkinson's Belt. A study by researchers at the University of Pennsylvania shows most areas affected are near big industrial or agricultural operations. Are both. They say kee uncles released from factories and farms could contribute to a higher risk of Parkinson's. Longtime LA City Councilman Paul Kirkoryan has officially stepped away as council president.
Speaker 6: On the last day of his two years presiding over city council meetings, Krekoryan was praised by all the other members. Krekorian, who leaves the council at the end of the year, also praised as colleagues, the city should really understand how effective this council is and will continue to be. Krekoryan took over after the resignation of Nuri Martinez following the release of secretly recorded racist audio involving her and other members. Councilman Marquis Harris Dawson is the new council president in Downtown LA.
Speaker 4: Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: A government funding bill has been voted down in the House. Fourteen Republicans joined with nearly all Democrats yesterday to vote against the measure. The bill included a requirement to prove citizenship in order to register to vote in federal elections. Speaker Mike Johnson says he believes election security is a major issue.
Speaker 5: We ran the play.
Speaker 6: It was the best play, it was the right one, and so now we go back to the playbook.
Speaker 4: We'll draw up another play and we'll come up with a solution. I'm already talking to colleagues about their many ideas.
Speaker 1: Johnson says he's very disappointed the bill didn't pass. The government will run out of money October first if they don't pass some sort of funding build. San Francisco is trying again to stop Oakland from using its new airport name because it's too much like San Francisco International Airport. Oakland is changing its airport name to San Francisco Bay Oakland International Airport. San Francisco City attorney David Chu has asked a judge to block the change as part of a trademark infringement lawsuit.
Speaker 9: Unfortunately, we have now seen actual confusion occurring in real life, confusion that was entirely predictable and preventable. Individuals who book flights to SFO intended to travel to Oakland and vice versa.
Speaker 1: It's Oakland official claimed the lawsuit is an attempt to stifle competition and travel choices by Bay Area residents. I could see where people would get very confused by this. Here's something that is not confusing. It's Halloween Time at the Disneyland Resort and KFIAM six forty wants to give you a chance to experience all of the frightful fun at the Disneyland Resort now through October thirty. First, you will find fiendishly tasty treats, thrills for one and all, and beautiful decor to both Disney California Adventure Park and Disneyland Park. Keep it right here, because wake Up Call will soon have your chance to win a four pack of one day, one park tickets to the Disneyland Resort. I love Halloween Time at Disney. The Federal Reserve has cut interest rates by a half percent just over six weeks before the presidential election. It's the closest the Central Bank has come to in acting an easing cycle just before an election in nearly half a century. A brand new rate cutting phase tied this close to the November election has only happened twice before, four in nineteen seventy six and eighty four. We're going to be talking more about what the cut means and whether it's going to keep the economy chugging along with ABC's Caleb Silver that's coming up before the top of the hour. Ten people involved in a pro Palestinian protest at uc Irvine have been charged. All are facing misdemeanor charges of failing to leave the scene of a riot. A fifty year old man is also facing charges of resisting arrest in a couple other charges. Forty others arrested during the protests back in May have not yet been charged. Fall isn't even here yet, but snow is falling in the Sierra Nevada. The National Weather Services issued a winter weather advisory, with two to five inches of snow expected for areas above nine thousand feet In Tahoe Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks. Higher elevations could see even more snow. At six oh five, it's handle on the news teamsters say we're not endorsing either presidential candidate. Former President Trump is pretty happy about that. Right now, Let's say good morning to ABC's crime and Terror analyst Brad Garrett. Brad, they haven't admitted to it, but Israel suspected of being behind the explosions of pagers on Tuesday and then walkie talkies and solar systems yesterday. How did Israel, if it was in fact Israel, pull this one off?
Speaker 4: So, I mean, it just has to be Israel, And my guess is amy it's the masade because they are the sort of the masters of, for lack of better terms, assassinations and complicated attacks. So really two things come to mind, and we don't know for sure, but there's sort of limited possibilities. One would be that they were able to compromise and or work with the manufacturer to alter these pagers before they left the factory. Now that sounds risky to me because it could potentially be too many people involved. The other is to intercept the packages, you know, the three thousand NARSHO pages at a transit point. So in other words, it leaves the factory wherever it is, and it goes like any package here, you know, goes to fed xups whatever. Wherever the packages went. Then at some point Israel was able to intercept them and neither swap them out or alter them. My guess is they swapped them out. It would be too time consuming to basically rig up, for lack of better terms, three thousand plus pages, because you're really talking about, according to the explosives people I talked to, probably a small quantity of something like PETN next to the battery. And then if it's an explosive, it's a chemical that's used, and bad guys use them all the time. Terrorist use them all the time to blow up stuff in a small client like an ounce maybe an ounce and a half the battery. And then I assume they have hacked the pager system some way that they could send a code to the pagers and the code then would overheat the battery. The battery would then explode, and then the explosive chemical for lack of better terms, exploded. That's why the explosions were fairly small. You noticed on the next day. When you go to walkie talkies, the explosions are bigger and they're more harmful, just because the battery in a walkie talkie obviously is bigger than what you would have clearly in a pager. So you're talking about something that would take months, if not years to pull off. You'd have to know, you know, you'd have to know who's making the pager, when they're going to ship it, where the transit points, have all the other ones ready to go to swap them out. I mean, we're talking quite an operation. It's pretty from that standpoint, it's quite impressive. Now the damage it did, that's another story, but it's a it's a pretty amazing feat. And you know, Israel basically has said, you know, they have other things up their sleeve. For lack of better terms of what they could do, I'm going to assume look tech to other terrorist groups or maybe continue on with Hesbela.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how much damage do we know was done to like their communications network? Because we know that Hesbola said, you know what, they can track our cell phones. Let's get rid of cell phones and go to pagers because that's a better way to communicate. Privately, but then maybe Israel heard them talking about that and that's when they kind of cooked up this plan. If Israel in fact did it, But like, how much damage was done to their communication network? Do we know?
Speaker 4: I think short, short term immense damage. If you can't use cell phones, you can't use pagers, and now you can't use walkie talkies. I mean, you know, can they go back to runners? You know, they probably can. I mean I think Ben Lauden back in his day he used runners and didn't use anything electronically. But that's time consuming and if you're trying to do something quickly, that's just not going to work. So I think they've they've majorly damaged their ability to communicate with each other. And you know, we'll see how it slows them down, but I see it as a big issue for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And do you think that other groups are going to try this kind of thing, like, Hey, that worked really well, we'll try it. Or was it kind of a one off? Because like you said, there had to be so many things that fell into place at the right time to pull this off. Maybe it's too much work.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, you'd have to have a really sophisticated group of folks to have the time, the energy, and the know how to your point, to pull this off. Do I think they could use lesser extreme versions of this, in particular in the cyber world. The answer is yes. I mean, think about it, Amy if you if you were able to shut down the electric and water supply to Los Angeles some way, I just think what that would do. I mean, you wouldn't be able to use anything electronically. Things would just stop. And so the vulnerability of all these systems we have, and that's true all over the world, That's not just here. It is concerning the people like me, because all of the systems have vulnerabilities just because of the very nature of what they are.
Speaker 1: So are we doing anything to uh make them less vulnerable in the US?
Speaker 4: Well, I think so, we yes, But the question, you know, it still remains is that you're really talking about. I mean, if even if you look at energy or electricity, you know that tends to be controlled by municipalities or regions, and you know, are they keeping all of their cyber stuff up to speed? You know, with patches et cetera. Is somebody monitoring that. Are people looking for anomalies of information that's coming through their system, all of those things. Someplace to do a really good job with that, others don't, because let's face it, it's a huge system, and we've got different municipalities running different systems, and so certainly regional attacks I think are probably more realistic than you know, across the board attack. But you know, it's something that's always there, and I think, yes, we're more aware of it. Are we doing everything we can that may or mean to be the case?
Speaker 1: Well, let's just hope that the people in power are being more proactive than reactive, because yes, it's kind of a scary proposition. Brad Garrett, thank you so much for the information. We appreciated it. As always.
Speaker 8: You're welcome.
Speaker 4: Thank carrying me too soon.
Speaker 1: Cruz on the fire that started in San Gabriel Canyon say they're making progress getting lines around it while attacking the most active northwest and southeast flanks with ground and air resources. Firefighters been mopping up and controlling big pines and right wood on the northeast side. They say better weather has helped prevent the fire from spreading further toward the Mile High and Paradise Springs communities. The fires burn nearly fifty five thousand acres. It's forty one percent surrounded. Eighty one homes and other buildings have been destroyed, and nineteen more are damaged. A federal judge in New York has again rejected a fifty million dollars bail package offered by defense lawyers for Sean Diddy Combs. ABC's Aaron Katirsky says the Bad Boy Records founder is alleged to have planned and controlled drug fueled sex performances, which he called freak.
Speaker 10: Coffs prosecutors saying devices allegedly containing videos of those freak offs were seized during raids on Combs's homes in Los Angeles and Miami, and it has closet eight and saying they found AR fifteen's with serial numbers to face.
Speaker 1: Colmbs was initially denied bail after pleading not guilty to racketeering, sex trafficking, and prostitution charges. Local leaders have broken ground on a new Costco with housing in South LA.
Speaker 6: The development not only brings the popular retailer, but for the first time, a Costco warehouse will have housing above it, eight hundred apartments. Councilwoman Heather Hudt says she expects the new store and residents to shore up surrounding businesses.
Speaker 1: When we have this kind of destination, a really boosy economy all the way around.
Speaker 6: A quarter of the new units are reserved for income restricted tenants. That component qualified the project to be fast tracked under a new state law. In South LA, Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: La County Sheriff Robert Luna has officially called for a ban on so called deputy gangs or clicks. The new policy would ban participation in a law enforcement gang or soliciting others to become members. It also bars deputies from being members of any hate growl. The owner of a recycling company in the San Fernando Valley has been arrested and will be charged with receiving stolen property, including thousands of pounds of metal from street light wires and bronze plaques. The fifty six year old owner of Tuxford Recycling was arrested as part of a compliance check targeting recycling centers and metal yards. A one hundred foot yacht has caught fire and sank in Marina del Rey. Officials say the yacht had fireworks and about a thousand rounds of ammunition on board when it caught fire last night. Several fireworks exploded in the air as the fire burned. Two people on board were able to get off and were not hurt. At six oh five, its handle on the news, Israel says it's entering a new era of war. What that means? At five point fifty, the Fed has cut interest rates by a half percentage point. Was that the best thing for the economy. We'll find out with ABC's Caleb Silver. But right now, let's say good morning too. The vice president of Philanthropy and Social Enterprise with the Union Rescue Mission, It's Richard Newcombe. Good morning, Richard.
Speaker 5: Good morning. Amy. Thrilled to be here with you.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm thrilled and terrified to be here with you. So tell us exactly real quick before we talk about the Union Rescue Mission. What Neil Savadra and I have gotten ourselves into, well, you or I am.
Speaker 5: In twenty nineteen signed up with an organization out of Canada that helps nonprofits raise funds through an event called over the Edge, and they've done it. This is actually their twenty year anniversary and they have our event from last year featured on there their social media page because we raised the most money in the history of this and any organization in North America.
Speaker 1: Oh, let's do it again.
Speaker 11: Yeah, So we did it in twenty nineteen, raised five hundred and seventy five thousand dollars. Twenty twenty one, twenty twenty two, we raised one point one million. Last year we raised nine to fifteen. We didn't have a match for a major from a major donor, but this year we do.
Speaker 5: And we're shooting for two million dollars, which would be the world record for anyone repelling off off of a high rise building to help raise money to fight for Worthy And so the previous record prior to you RM was Make a Wish Foundation in Austin, Texas. So okay, so we are shooting for We're shooting for two million dollars and we're pelling off the roof of the Universal Hilton Hotel on September twenty seventh and twenty eighth. And that's what you signed up for all day Friday. You're coming, right, you're looking at checking out.
Speaker 1: No, I'm coming. I'll be there. We're both Neil and I. We we're going over the edge because we want we believe in this. In the Union Rescue Mission, and we want to help you raise money. But you mentioned that there is a match for a major donor, So is it for up up to a certain point or for every dollar that's donated up up.
Speaker 5: To six up to six hundred thousand dollars that donor is matching that.
Speaker 1: That's amazing, Okay, great, okay, So let's let's talk about this, Richard, because people are skeptical of donating to homeless programs. I mean, I just want to It's kind of the elephant in the room because so much money has been thrown at this problem, and homelessness is getting worse. We all see it every day just driving around town. So let's talk about the Union Rescue Mission and how it is different from other programs that are fighting homelessness.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm glad you brought that up. We since that the citizenry of Los Angeles is frustrated with the homeless situation. It doesn't seem to be improving. It didn't go up on the last count and went down by two hundred people from seventy five thousand, five hundred to seventy five thousand, three hundred. But people aren't seeing a real change, and so we have launched a campaign that is part of this event called just Help One, because we want people to not give up the fight. The seventeen million people in metropolitan Los Angeles, what if each of us stepped up to help one person? And so we're trying to let people know. It's an awareness campaign. We have billboards all over town, We're running radio ads on iHeartRadio stations and rallying people to our cause. Because Union Rescue Mission has been in Los Angeles for one hundred and thirty three years, we receive no government general operating funding and we get a perfect one hundred rating from Charity Navigator because eighty six cents of every dollar is going to life saving life transformation of programs. Okay, so yeah, Richie fall short, Yes, Yeah.
Speaker 1: We want to talk about the government funding. Neil and I have talked about it, but I want to hear from you. You guys don't get any government money.
Speaker 5: Why because if you take funds from the city, county, or state, you have to run your facilities under the harm reduction model, which means people are allowed to use drugs and alcohol in your facility, which we do not embrace. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, that's really powerful. Because if you think about it, it's the people who want to get help who are coming to you. Correct, And I think.
Speaker 5: Correct last night. Last night we had thirteen hundred human beings under roof at our three facilities, sober living facilities. Nine hundred of them were moms, dads and kids in over one hundred and fifty were seniors. I mean, what kind of chaos would ensue if drugs and alcohol flowed freely in those environments.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The other thing that I think is great about your organization is that you were telling us about the transitional housing. So you've eating thousands of people, but you're also working to actively help people get off the streets and get back into housing. Correct.
Speaker 5: We have lots of supportive programs that we offered, but people need to embrace it. Yes, I'm looking for change. One of them is Hope Gardens Family Center out in Silmar from moms and children. It's two to three years. You know, you get your ged, you get money management skills. We help you train for a job, we help you find for find a job, We help you save. We had two moms graduate recently, one at Save seventeen thousand and one at Save twenty. You know, and now they're moving on to a self sustaining life. Eighty percent success right that, Hope Gardens.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. See, so, like you said, we can't there's seventy five thousand people. We can't help them all, but we can help them one at a time, and especially help the ones who want the help in.
Speaker 5: Union Rescue mission welcome. Then seventy five hundred human beings in the past year. That's ten percent of the entire homeless population. So we're making a significant impact. We are doing it efficiently and effectively. Hope the citizenry of Los Angeles will rally around us and help us do more.
Speaker 1: Okay, so in the immediate future, tell us how we're going to rally around it. So one way is to make a donation just help one dot org, and we now have a tab on the homepage for the Team iHeart. You can go directly to it and make a donation to support Neil and me and others from some of our other sister radio stations who are going to be going over the edge next week on Friday and Saturday. I'm going to be there on Friday afternoon, and then if you want to conquer a fear and maybe repel down a twenty five story building. How do you do that, Richard?
Speaker 5: They go to that same website, just help one the number one dot org and sign up. You know, there's three buttons. It's a registered sponsor and then it's got iheart's button, and so any level that people want to participate, we could use more sponsors. At the corporate level. I we just had Sweet James the attorney sign up yesterday and they're giving money that you it's fun for one hundred thousand meals. Help us feed more people, and they're going to send a team over the edge and so people. We'd love to have more participants. We do have the slots, some available on Friday, lots available on Saturday. And it's safe. This has been going on for twenty years in North America, and the only person went to a hospital had an allergic beasting. Nobody's ever been heard. I've done it eight times. It's a little scary to go over the edge. At first, you look down. You are up there with me, right and we look down on terrifre. Yeah, but it's a blast, and afterwards it's exhilarated and every participant within two to three hours afterwards, it gets a video that includes drone footage and you personally going from the roof to the bottom, and they get that and they can post that on social media, email it texted within two to three hours after their experience.
Speaker 1: I love it. And speaking of social media, I'm going to put up a post and give you a little sneak peek of what it looks like when you go over the edge at Amy Kking. That's on Instagram at amy Kking or also the KFI AM six forty the at KFI AM six forty. We're going to post that now so you can get a little look and we'll also put the address there for where you can donate. But it's just help one dot org. Richard Newcombe, thank you so much for coming on because I think, like I said, people are skeptical and this is an organization you can get behind. And whether you can donate ten dollars or one hundred or one thousand dollars, we'll take it. We need it and people need it.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Amy Kay. Wait to see you next Friday.
Speaker 1: All right, Thank you so much, Richard, God bless you. Thanks you all right, take care. I would say I'm really excited to see him, but I'm actually really terrified because when I do see him, it means that I'm going to be repelling off of building a very short time later. Again, it's just help one dot org and you can take a sneak peek at it at Amy Kking or at KFI AM six forty. We're going to post that up on Instagram in just a couple of minutes. This afternoon, the Dodgers take on the Marlins in Miami, with first pitch go out at one point thirty. You can listen to every play on AM five to seventy LA Sports Live from the Gallpin Motors Broadcast booth, and you can stream all the games in htt HD on the iHeartRadio app. Keyword is AM five to seventy LA Sports. UC police say they plan to ask University of California regions for permission to buy drones, robots, pepper balls, and sponge bullets really say they're needed in case there are more protests like the pro palestinating protests that broke out on UC campus's late last springing, including at UCLA. At and T is going to remove over one hundred thousand pounds of lead from Lake Tahoe. The lead is covering about six miles of underwater telecommunications cables along the lake's west shore. Under a legal settlement, the cables will be removed from the lake before June of next year. The San Diego Zoo is celebrating the first successful sea section for a porcupine. The Zoo's Wildlife Alliance says the c section saved the lives of the mama and the baby porcupine. Veterinarians say this marks a major advancement in veterinary science and a huge step forward in conservation efforts. We're just minutes away from handling the news this morning. Teamster say they're not endorsing anyone, and former President Trump is pretty happy about that. Right now, let's say good morning to ABC's Klebs Silver Kleb, the Fed has finally started lowering interest rates, and they didn't just cut them by a quarter percent, but a half percent, which is bigger than a lot of people were expecting. That's great for us, hopefully for borrowing and that kind of thing. But is it great for everybody?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: The flip side of lower interest rates is you earn less money in the bank. So we've been enjoying five percent in CDs, high savings accounts and money market accounts. Those days are numbered because this is just the beginning of a interest rate cutting regime that the Fed is on. Fed share Pal saying it's time for recalibration while we're getting it in the former lower rates. Rates are coming down, not just yesterday, but by the end of this year. The FED expects rates to be around four and a half percent by the end of next year about three point four percent, So expect lower rates, which is good for stimulating the economy in terms of more borrowing. Again, the flip side, less money in the bank.
Speaker 1: Okay, And it was widely expected that it was going to be a quarter point drop, but it was a half point. Is there any indication of why it was a larger drop?
Speaker 8: Well, it was also the first cut we've seen since twenty twenty and the biggest cup.
Speaker 4: We've seen in sixteen years.
Speaker 8: And usually when the FED cuts a half a point, it means the economy is in trouble. But feeds our Pals being very clear yesterday in his press conference and in the FED statement, the economy is actually in a pretty good spot right now. The FED wanted to cut aggressively so that it would remain in a good place right now, the wind in its sales, so to speak. So cheaper money with the Fed sets through the Fed Funds rate, which is the rate at which banks lend to each other, and then bank loaned us. That stimulates more borrowing. You're going to feel it in credit card aprs. Those are coming down. Mortgage rates have already come down, and they're going to keep going lower. Personal cars, personal loans and loans for cars new and use, those are also coming down. Cheaper money means more borrowing, and businesses borrow more when money's cheaper as well, and hopefully they'll keep hiring if those interest rates stay low. And I think that was behind the FEDS thinking here on this big cut.
Speaker 1: Okay, and you mentioned that mortgage rates have already come down, so the effect is pretty much immediate.
Speaker 8: Mortgage rates are very sensitive to the Fed Funds rate and the yield on the ten year Treasury, and those have been coming down. They're around six point two percent now. They were about seven point eight percent a year ago, so those are coming down and going lower. And we finally seen some activity in the real estate market more applications for mortgages, more refinancing applications. We haven't seen that in two years. More activity in the housing market means more spending. Spending drives the economy. That's behind the Fed's thinking here. We got to get people to keep spending in order to keep the economy growing.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then you also mentioned credit cards. So does the rate cut immediately mean that credit card companies are going to lower their interest rates because they're stupid high.
Speaker 8: Yeah, they're at a record high right now, over twenty one percent. I've seen some of the twenty four to twenty five percent. So if you have good credit, they're lower and they're going to get lower. And if you have a lot of credit card debt right now in some cards, you'll see those rates come down, but then you'll see a lot of competition for lower and lower rates to consolidate your debt. So it affects It affects credit card aprs significantly, mortgage rates significantly. But again the flip side is the money you've been earning in the bank to those highlight savings accounts and CDs. You're not going to get that type of offer for a long time.
Speaker 1: Okay, And Caleb work. Are we expecting another cut before the end of.
Speaker 8: The year for sure, and that has been very clear that it expects rates that around four point four percent at the end of this year three point four percent at the end of next year.
Speaker 1: That'd be nice to see again. Caleb Silver with ABC, thank you so much for the information. We appreciate it.
Speaker 8: My pleasure.
Speaker 1: I think I'm going to go spend some money on my credit card. I'm just kidding. I'm not. Let's get back to some of the stories coming up out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A resource center is opening in Lake elson Or for people impacted by the more than twenty three thousand acre wildfire that started in Orange County. The fire has destroyed one hundred and sixty homes and other buildings and damaged thirty four others. It's almost forty percent surrounded. Officials say the fire was accidentally started ten days ago by a county public works crew using heavy equipment. A forty three year old former school bus driver in Santa Anna has been convicted of sexually assaulting two young girls he lived with, starting when they were about six and eight years old. Nary Gonzalez was convicted on several counts of sexual abuse over a four year period in Santa Anna and Garden Grove. He'll be sentenced in November. A two hundred acre phase at the center of a billion dollar Great Park expansion in Irvine will include two large lakes and a live music amphitheater.
Speaker 2: A grand promenade, a great meadow, and a full circle farm will feature walking paths through the heart of the park. Councilman Mike Carroll says a timeline bridge will also highlight the history of the Eltra Marine Base.
Speaker 5: This will be the largest municipal park, greater than Balboa Park, Golden Gay Park, and even New York Central Park.
Speaker 2: The full expansion will add three hundred acres to the current five hundred acres of sports fields and more. The projects, set to be complete in twenty twenty nine, will include an aviation museum, a veterans memorial park, restaurant shops, and botanical gardens. In Orange County, Corbin carsenkf.
Speaker 1: I News Senna's Great Billy Jean King said to become the first female athlete ever to earn the Congressional Gold Medal. The bill to honor King was passed by both the House and Senate. Now it just needs President Biden's signature. King has been a champion for women's sports and rights, and the National Tennis Center in Flushing, New York is named in her honor. This is KFI and KOSTHD two Los Angeles, Orange County. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call, and if you missed any of wake Up Call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.