Speaker 1: Hey, Carl. Here, we're on a mission to find new fans of the show. I mean, where else can you get real life comedy and horror in one podcast. You can do your part by leaving us a review on iTunes, Spotify or wherever you get Security this week. Also, you can get an ad free feed by becoming a five dollars a month patron. Go to Patreon dot Security this week dot com and sign up, and don't forget discord. Discord dot Security this week dot com. Lots of good stuff happening there. Yeah, I think that's it. So on with the podcast. So a cop came to my door last night and asked me where I was between five and six. I said, kindergarten, how about you? And it turns out the Lost and Found box at the new London Superior court House doesn't have pants in my size where.
Speaker 2: I thought they would.
Speaker 1: Hey, and welcome back to Security this week. I'm Carl Franklin, that Stwaye Laflatt and Patrick Hines and we got a few stories for you things that happened last week. How are you guys?
Speaker 2: First of all, good, We'll enjoy the summer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can't complain. Awesome somebody, somebody was at a nice game this week.
Speaker 1: Did you go to a World Cup game? I did, Patrick?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I went to one of the original group group games.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 3: That's awesome. Yeah, that's fun. That's fun.
Speaker 1: Well, what does that have to do with Nintendo?
Speaker 2: I caught some Pokemon?
Speaker 3: Okay, I think that's iantic.
Speaker 1: But oh yeah, So the first story is Nintendo confirms limited employee data breach linked to third party service. Hmmm, what happened?
Speaker 3: That's okay? So thread actor group, shadow bites and that's b y T three dollars sign because you know, hackers.
Speaker 1: You noticed these things. These names are are becoming like rock band names, like you know, they they have aspirations of being famous.
Speaker 3: Right, No Labyrinth of Pain Hacking group yet though, So you know what, honestly, I think the three of us need to start the Labyrinth of Pain Hacking. That was us, Labyrinth of Pain LOP. That that would be our initials is LOP.
Speaker 2: We could rename the podcast.
Speaker 1: Patrick, what are you going to play?
Speaker 2: I know I'm playing the keyboard Pokemon. I already told you.
Speaker 1: All right what happened here? You guys?
Speaker 3: Anyways, hit tiny Pulse a third party employee survey platform used by Nintendo of America. They claim to have x filtrated eight hundred and fifty nine meg which doesn't sound like a lot, but and it's just text. Almost a gig is a lot of text. Nintendo says their own systems were not compromised, which is important supply chain. It's yeah, absolutely, and we're seeing this more and more, you know. It's it's hard to hit Nintendo in that They've they've been punched out a lot over the last thirty years of you know, being in the market, so a lot of attackers have tried to steal new games from them and get access to systems, in reverse engineering their devices and whatever. Right, Nintendo has pretty rock solid security team. Although there was there was a way on Nintendo's website on their shop to steal coins and gets up anyways, we won't talk about that, but they do a pretty good job in this particular case. If you can't hit Nintendo, what do you do other than going to a Nintendo's employees home and start bringing into their home Wi Fi and then back routing into the office, which we don't you know, recommend, but you try and hit a third party, you hit somebody who's a little bit weaker, who doesn't you know, take care of cybersecurity the way they should. They're probably a smaller shop and they're you know, they get hit and unfortunately it has an Attendo data on there. Actually, you know what's interesting is tiny Poles probably isn't Nintendo's probably not the only customer they have. So if I were a customer of Time Post right now and now we're using them for surveys, I would be kind of concerned at this point did my data at leaked? It just wasn't important enough right to make the news. So that's our PSA for today, a try not to be important to people. Yeah, yeah, exactly. Listen, that's what we try and do.
Speaker 1: Carl, to fly under the radar exactly.
Speaker 3: So nobody knows who we are.
Speaker 4: The Well.
Speaker 3: The other thing is, uh, I know, we'll talk policies and policies nobody wants to talk about like what's the right how do we choose the right vendor, how do we make sure they're doing the right things. So you should have a policy for third party event don't have it, whether it's third party software or third party vendors or don't have any right questions you would ask them, you know, how are they doing security? How are they training their folks, how are they making are they doing yearly pen tasts? Are their software being tested? Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And unfortunately the answer could very well be I don't know. Yeah, And you know, it's it's not the first thing a company does unless they are security background people. So there's plenty of sites out there that even claim to be in the security space that don't have their act together.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, all right. We moved on auto jack how a single page can remote control execute the host running your AI agent.
Speaker 2: So I had an argument with someone recently, someone who I respect quite a bit, where we talked about whether you could respect me. I wasn't talking about you. Where we were talking about a paper that said that, you know, you AI cannot be secured. Yeah, And the person who wrote this says they've been proven right by you know, mathematical proofs. And it's my counter is, nothing is one hundred percent secure, right, It's all degrees of trade offs and risk. AI is in the early days, and I think there's ways we can do we can deal with AI that that can be secure, but it's going to be it's going to be a slippery slope for a while. So we're going to see a lot of these reports. We're going to see a lot of this fear, uncertainty, and doubt. One of the ways that you can deal with AI is to limit or minimize completely the text that a user can input. Have the user make choices, but not type in text, not up, not upload documents, give them choices a wizard experience. They can't always do that, but when you can, that's powerful for mitigating the data input. Think about SQL injection. Can you seql inject a multiple choice textbox? Well, you can if the SEQL isn't parameterized. But if you go back to the SQL example, you can't secure a SQL server. If the answer could be the hacker is going to break in a Microsoft and and and put malware in Microsoft SQL server, nothing can be fully secured. So some of these we have to understand when these are the equivalent. In that case, you.
Speaker 1: Could also use another layer of abstraction. So for example, if you have are you thinking of having a text box in your software that allows the users to run reports, for example, right instead of doing that you basically have your you know, your your your report interface of the things that they want and then you have a set number of reports that use the AI to get the data. It's not a great example, but you know, having just another layer instead of allowing them to type anything.
Speaker 2: I mean, we talk about defense and depth. So every every every measure helps because it minimizes the service area well.
Speaker 3: And one of the things you got to be careful of. A lot of a lot of companies are racing towards putting up their agentic uh you know, systems and platforms and that sort of stuff. Right, So in doing that, they go, well, my MCP server and for those of you who aren't playing around with agentic AI, your model context Protocol server, right is how think of an MCP server. Is how an LLM would call a useful tool, right, right. And the tool might be a web browsing tool, it might be a database backup tool maybe whatever.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So MCP servers, all they're doing is taking in some jason and they're and they're exposing functions tools that your agents can use. So let's say you installed the open clon you wanted to give it the ability to check out the latest stocks. Right. Because an LLM is trained, it means it doesn't know the native native stocks natively, right, It just doesn't have it in its brain, so it has to go search the web. Well, what better way to have it searched the web is if it had a tool it could do that with, and that's what MCP servers are. The problem is you start implementing a ton of these tools right your toolbox. You want one hundred tools in there, just in case my agent needs the ability to see what computers are on the network, or to do facial recognition on cameras or whatever. Right there, you could create an MCP ver for all of those things. The downside is a lot of companies, as they're racing to put these MCP servers up and running, there's no authentication to the MCP for local host. So if I'm running those MCP servers locally, what it says, Oh, well, if the request came from inside the house, just let it happen, right, because we must trust them.
Speaker 2: And that is one hundred percent against horror movie. More. Even King is rolling over in the graves that he visits every night.
Speaker 3: And he's like I told you so many times, if it's in the house, you need to.
Speaker 1: Worry about it. It kind of to me, It kind of seems to me lately that you know, tools like Claude can call tools directly, and so if you've got a command line interface and you expose that as a tool, you know, Claude doesn't need an MCP server. It can just go querry the tool, which uses the API, which brings back the the stuff that it can do, and et cetera, et cetera. So I don't know if I'm gonna if we're gonna see a shift away from MCP servers and so towards tools.
Speaker 3: It's interesting you say that because there's there's this big war on the Internet around you know, is MCP dead? And I can tell you from the from a person who's sort of steeped in AI day in and day out. MCP has a lot of benefits to it, like for the ability for us to lock down who can call MCP servers and what tools and functions they have access to. So, for example, Claude might be able to call my terminal and s sh into a box and now it has unfettered access to do anything. And you're kind of hoping Claude follows the rules, whereas my MCP server, I don't have to expose every tool and I can I have control over the flow of those tools.
Speaker 1: So it's kind of like store procedures for AI tool.
Speaker 3: Yes exactly, y, yeah exactly. That is a great analogy.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: You could write this straight up query and just issue it with a SQL command or yeah, use store procedures and you're in a safer place. I think people will realize that. Yeah, MCPS kind of the way is the way to go.
Speaker 1: Okay, good. So what happened here? Well story yeah.
Speaker 3: Jack, right, So Microsoft found an exploit in their autogen studio. So autogen studio is just their studio for creating agentic AIS. What they saw was a malicious web page that is rendered by an AI browsing agent. So if I if I have an AI that goes to use a browsing MCP and it comes back to that particular local browser, the web socket that gets opened up, you can open up a malicious web socket to the local MCP server. So the browser is sitting on the MCP server, right, So when the browser goes out to the malicious page and the page comes back and loads on the browser on the MCP server, a malicious socket opens back up to local host, and now your MCP server goes, oh, well, I should trust this because it came from my local network and look like it came from the Internet, because it was a pipe opened from that malicious page but opened back to the MCP server, and that's that's where they're finding. Now, okay, now I can get this to run you know, PowerShell scripts, and I can get to do anything at this point because really I have control over what that MCP server is doing because it's innately trusting anything that comes from local host. So you really don't want to make sure that you know you have authentication, even if it's local. I don't know what it hurts you to throw it off authentication locally for.
Speaker 2: It's assumptions. Yeah, people assume it's safe and therefore it's it's it makes it more.
Speaker 3: Of and it's interesting. We've we've seen this as in the hacking world for decades. Is what's called SSRF. So SSRF is where a server side request comes back to the server. It's where I can hit a web page and let's say there's an administrative webpage on port eighty eighty that I don't have access to on the internet. That is only access locally on the box. But there's another web server running on that site, right on that computer. If I can manipulate the normal website to make a call to itself on port eighty eighty because it came from the local box, now it's trusted and I can add my user account, and I can do all sorts of things. And we've broken into several places, actually a really large school district doing this, where we're just like, hey, I'm going to hit your public school website. I'm going to look like I'm searching for classes, and instead I'm going to very customly craft that server to reach back out to itself and add a user that I can then log in as this is the same exact thing, but this is just for MCP servis Wow.
Speaker 1: Yep, be careful out there, kids, All right, we moved on. Everything's bigger and better in Texas. Even data breaches. Oh no, this is crazy. Hunting and fishing license incident catches three million residents.
Speaker 2: So is it data that wouldn't be out there already?
Speaker 3: A driver's license number, passport numbers, emails, phone numbers, addresses, age also lists social security numbers.
Speaker 2: Social secure numbers have been out there?
Speaker 3: Sorry yeah yeah yeah. And how many people in Texas actually go register license anyways? Don't they just hunting fish?
Speaker 1: I mean, hey man, that is an elitist comment.
Speaker 2: Wow, so they read too.
Speaker 1: Texas is an awesome state.
Speaker 3: Texas is great. Actually Texas is they just opened up. Okay, Texas has a really big federal hog problem.
Speaker 1: They have a big everything.
Speaker 3: It's if you were if Texas hunters were to kill two million federal hogs a year, there would still be a population of three million of them every year.
Speaker 1: And it would drive barbecue prices way down, so.
Speaker 3: To the point where it's destroying so many crops. Texas has said you don't need a hunting license to shoot a feral hog, and you don't even need to be You can be anywhere. You could be the middle of Austin and if feral hog comes through, you can just shoot it in the face and that's find no questions out.
Speaker 2: It sounds like you just there's so many you could just go to Walmart and find them.
Speaker 3: I think I think you could at this point.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So from what I know about Italy, I'm I have some friends in Tuscany and they you know, everybody's got like an olive grove, right, Yeah, so they hunt chingale, which are wild bores, which are essentially feral pigs.
Speaker 4: Wow, the Germans take too, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they hunt them and they cook them and guess what, they're delicious. Yeah. So you the combination of, yeah, we got a big feral hog from in Texas and everybody should go shoot them. It's just going to result in a lot of delicious.
Speaker 3: Meal, right, and then the barbecue capital of the world. So why not?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: Why not? Anyhow?
Speaker 3: Deviating from our faral hog conversation, Yeah, I mean, you know, I get it. It's I agree with Patrick. We all talked tongue in cheek about how you know, SOFIA security numbers are out there, and that's sort of passport numbers not so much in general, like they're not as easy to get, but you can still get passport numbers as well. You know, in this particular case, credit monitoring is the way to go, right, your your data has probably been le leaked. You probably want to just monitor it.
Speaker 4: Make sure.
Speaker 1: I'm reading this article in the Register, and there's in the middle it says more context and there's a few links in one of them, it's Texas wu's TP link over China links and security vulnerabilities.
Speaker 3: Yeah, go Texas, way to go, Way to go, Texas Way to go.
Speaker 1: They're doing the dirty work for us. All right. So is that all we have for this story? You know, it was a big.
Speaker 3: Breach, that's it, just it. Yeah, if you have if you have a hunting license in Texas, you may want to just make sure you monitor your credit.
Speaker 1: Make sure you still have it. All right. This is a this was a good one for me. Pixel smash, a critical ffm peg vulnerability turns media files into weapons.
Speaker 4: Oh no.
Speaker 1: Ffm peg is a command line tool and you can call it from a program using standard in Standard out and it just does every kind of conversion and.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, including a conversion.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: You know what's funny is from the first time I saw ffm peg, like where I was doing media stuff and it's like, oh, you got to download ffm peg, and I was like, m hell no, that looks like a hacker tool.
Speaker 1: It did.
Speaker 3: It was like command line driven. It was like and it's like, oh, download this DLL from this janky site somewhere, and I'm like honestly. I mean, ffm peg is probably embedded in almost everything. Yeah that does media. It's a it's an amazing encoder decode.
Speaker 1: It can encode and decode packets in real time. Yeah, like you know standard audio to MP three audio, stream it over the internet. I mean it's really really smart.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, so who I don't was it one guy who put ffm peg together? Do we know if it came from like sound Blaster or like one of those type of companies.
Speaker 1: I don't know the history. I don't know that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Creative Labs prominence of it, Yeah, I don't know. So needless to say, it's probably on every computer you could imagine right today. Right, even if you're not using ffm peg. If you've if you're just trying to you know, fast forward through this podcast for things that are important to you, you probably have a copy of fmpeg running on your computer somewhere doing some sort of media conversions. Whether it's games or camptasier or whatever. I'm sure there's something running it. So this is kind of an important deal to most people, even if you don't think it is. Yeah, it's been patched, right, so this is you know, this this was an out of bounds right for the ffm PEG, not a you know, a big deal. Yes, but it's been patched. So if you are running ffm peg, or if you think you're running ffm PEG, if you're running things like Jellyfinn or plex or thumbnail generators, cloud trans coders, there's all sorts of things that actually use f MPEG. If you're running any of those, you may want to go pack.
Speaker 1: And it doesn't look like it was malicious. It was just a bug, right, It was like one you said, one off. It was just like a math error or something around in this match.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, and I haven't seen any active you know, exploits in the wilds or anything along those lines.
Speaker 4: Just yeah, which is kind of the progression.
Speaker 2: It's like it's it's out there being it's being actively you know used or the stories and then it's in the known exploitive vulnerabilities list from.
Speaker 3: Sissa Well and now with AI the moment this got released as a oh this is an issue, right, somebody will start weaponizing it by our next podcast.
Speaker 2: So does it is that it's a tool that you use. It wouldn't be hosted on the internet, would.
Speaker 1: It, Yes, it could be. It could be in the executable path of any other DLL that your website could. So the real problem is this magic YUV decoder which is enabled by default in lib v codec, LIBA v codec whatever.
Speaker 2: That was a very important legal case codec.
Speaker 1: It's almost like live v memorycks. So FFmpeg eight point one point two contains the fix. Okay, so there you go, go get it. Should we take a break, Let's do it. Yeah, let's take a little break. We'll be right back after these very important messages, and we're back. It's security this week. I'm Carl, that's Dwayne and Patrick. The next story. Scattered Spider members, especially the Drummer plead guilty to hacking Transport for London. Oh no, we talked about the transport hack.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah we did. Yeah, caused all sorts of damages twenty nine million dollars in a GPP, about thirty eight million dollars in US dollars in damages. Twenty thousand transportation employees had to do in person password resets, which is a pain in the ass.
Speaker 1: So that's a long line.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I know, right, And this was this was a straight up standard Scattered Spider attack. This was social engineering I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry. That was a long queue, wasn't it.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it's not a line.
Speaker 1: It's not a line.
Speaker 3: Wait, if you say line in London, what's a line? It is something you say.
Speaker 1: It's something you read as an actor.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, all right, okay, Like.
Speaker 1: Whose line is it? Anyway?
Speaker 3: A line is something you read. A que is something you stand in on it. Yeah, understood, sir.
Speaker 1: I'm sure it's something you draw with numbers on its class.
Speaker 2: Now you're going to make a cocaine joke.
Speaker 3: Wait, that's a line and a line.
Speaker 1: I got a line on this guy?
Speaker 3: Moving on for our g rated Uh yeah yeah listeners. So yeah, Needless to say, Scattered Spider is really really good at social engineer. They're good at manipulating help desks, they're good at, you know, understanding the lingo. For any of you who are super interested in some of the pioneers in this space, read The Arted Deception by Kevin Mitnick. Fantastic story. Auto Uber our social engineer, brilliant guy, and he goes through all of the reasons why you know, large telco companies would trust him, right because he had the lincol He knew the layout of the place. He knew, people he knew, right, So needless to say, they're very good at it, and they were able to break in and all sorts of damages. So yeah, this but yeah, two people caught surprising.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a story about Kevin mcnick where he was He walked onto a truck at and t truck and convinced them he was a field supervisor, and he stole their manuals. Yeah yeah, I need to borrow these and any like criticized them and said, well, you know you're not doing this, you should be doing this, and he'd be doing this wrong.
Speaker 3: He broke into a telcode like remote data center and.
Speaker 2: He swear he hid the pot the pots line for the FBI had investigator.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, Although that one was awesome too.
Speaker 1: You know I saw this. It was a movie. What was it, Oh yeah, the Pink Panther where they you know, they dressed up as servicemen and they go yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it still works, right. So he actually walked into one of the Telco substations and he had brought a buddy with him at one point and they were just like he knew how to crack the lock and get in and one night he went in by himself just to check out the teleco gear and that sort of stuff, and they were security guards there and they pulled him up, and without missing a beat, he was like, do you yeah, I work at this station, this this person over here. I work on the second floor. I sit right next to Susie. She's my boss. But any new song in verse. And the security guy was like, okay, really, I'm gonna call Susie. And he picked up the phone and called her. Yeah, and he's like, yeah, there's a guy here who says he works for you, says this is his name, and it was a real name of a right of a guy you work in. She's like, wow, that's really weird. Let me talk to him. And he convinced, like Kevin Minna, convinced the guard to give him the phone. Yeah, and he's talking to her and he's like, hey, I know I shouldn't be here, and she's like who are you? Hand the phone back to the car and he's like, yeah, I know, I know. I'll see you Monday morning whatever, right, and then he hangs the phone up and the guard was like, ugh, all right, fine, well you know, yeah you should you should take off. You really shouldn't be here after the story. Yeah, it's impressive. It's impressive.
Speaker 1: It is an impressive story. Yeah yeah, all right, so this is just a story of a heist and uh, you know, nothing that it affects you. It's just a good story. Yep. So the next one is scammers use fake GitHub stars and virus total reviews to spread crypto Clipper, a multi platform malware campaign abuses fake trust signals to infect Windows and Mac users with a crypto clipper packed with fifteen thousand, five hundred attacker wallets.
Speaker 3: This is impressive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I knew you would think that.
Speaker 3: Social engineering. Yeah, this one's pretty awesome. So social engineering. Right, you create this this GitHub repo whatever it is, and you got to jacket up right. You got to get people to download it so you could send it a bunch of emails.
Speaker 2: You add add reputation, you add credibiliony yeah, absolutely, half planet.
Speaker 3: So how do you add reputation? Okay, so we manipulate the ge hub stars, so everybody stars. It's amazing. It's like the top GitHub rebo It's like open claw right, Okay, great, that's going to get some people download it, but not a lot. Then what they did is they source Forage is a place that you can download packages and software and that sort of stuff. So they put it on SourceForge to make it look legitimate and pumped it up there too by forty four thousand likes and whatnot. But that's still not enough because people still might think it's a virus. So they went to virus total, one of the premier places for checking software to see if they're viruses, and created tons of accounts and pointed it at this and said no, thumbs up, this is good stuff.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Right, So anybody who went to that length and went, well, I'm gonna go to virus total, it would have come up as now it is clean. You can just install it. It's not a big deal.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Then they created ai narrated YouTube tutorials, oh geez on how to use it? Right, this piece of software that did you know nothing or whatever?
Speaker 1: Right, So there are people, fake people on YouTube that they.
Speaker 3: Are saying, oh, this is an awesome piece of software. Watch I installed it. This is what it does for me? Well whatever?
Speaker 1: Right? Unable.
Speaker 3: So they went this full route of full on marketing, social engineering as many people as possible, and what the what the package did. If you installed it, it would watch the clipboard and when you made a crypto purchase or you transferred to another wallet or whatever, when it went to do that, it would paste their own wallet in as the destination.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: So unless you were really good at watching it, you knew the money was leaving your account, right, you knew it was going somewhere else. But unless you really kind of looked at that address once it hit your ledger, you wouldn't have noticed it.
Speaker 1: So sucks if you were trying to pay off ransomware and you're like, I paid, I paid you one hundred thousand dollars and they're like, no, you didn't.
Speaker 3: Now you're like, oh, curse you. So impressive to say the least is a good marketing campaign.
Speaker 1: So how does the story end? Did they get caught, they took it down?
Speaker 2: Well, let's let's let's talk about the moral of the story, which I don't think anybody's gonna get, which is we have to stop bots from being able to do stars and voting on virus total and all that stuff. Because I doubt it happened over months and years. It happened over days, an.
Speaker 1: Hour, Ye wasn't done by humans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, And so we have to figure out the bought recognition on these platforms has to become the new currency of reputation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and stars can be bought. Like a lot of people don't know that. Like I talked to someone friends and I'm like, they're like, oh, but it has forty four thousand likes on you know, Amazon, And I'm like, okay, Like that doesn't mean anything because I can easily just go and buy forty four thousand likes if I want. So stars can be bought. You know, I don't trust engagement metrics because engagement metrics at this point, every marketer on the planet is targeting manipulation of engagement metrics, right, so be careful of those.
Speaker 1: So, like, if you're looking at a product on Amazon and it's got four and a half stars and one thousand reviews and all of them are five star reviews except for maybe one disgruntled person which they put in there just to make it look real, right, exactly. It's all about it was broken when it got Yeah, oh it was terrible.
Speaker 3: And you're like, ah, well, mine won't be broken.
Speaker 4: I mean, what are the odds, right, yeah?
Speaker 1: Right, yep, geez that's that's depressing because that's how I buy things.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's honestly, it's how we all do it.
Speaker 1: How else are you going to know if if it's what you want. Yeah, yeah, absolutely, that's depressing. Oh my god. So they didn't get caught, but they took it down and nobody knows who the people are, right, all right?
Speaker 2: Do we know how much they got away with?
Speaker 3: M doesn't say hard to tell, really, yeah, I mean, you'd have to have people.
Speaker 2: Just check your balance.
Speaker 4: Oh, give me a second, I'll look.
Speaker 1: I was gonna make a Dwayne joke here, Like Dwayne, maybe this is more lucrative than your current job.
Speaker 3: It's not, all right.
Speaker 1: So our lead story today hackers leak facial recognition records tied to millions of Madison Square Garden visitors. So, and this this is interesting on a couple levels because Madison Square Garden was in the news the knixt game. The President was there falling asleep and like he always does. But then, you know, so what was happening was that there was a breach of the security cameras. Right. The security cameras are used to make sure that there are no bad guys walking in the arena, that kind of thing, and apparently that became the target of this hack.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And this here again was also shiny Shiny Hunters.
Speaker 4: These guys have been busy, man.
Speaker 3: They are the most active group I've seen recently. So this was another Shiny Hunter's you know attack. Where again, remember social engineering. There's not a lot of detail around how this data was stolen yet, but the leak, they say, allegedly includes facial recognition biometric records tied to millions of people at the venues, but it also can expose things like customer information, internal security assessments, background checks, attendee records, customer correspondences, especially if they had filed complaints with Madison Square Gardens. So what do you do about it?
Speaker 1: Patrick's got an answer, don't you. Patrick.
Speaker 3: You can't change your face.
Speaker 2: Just cut your face off.
Speaker 1: When you go out in the morning. Don't wear your face.
Speaker 3: Or somebody else's face. Actually, if you guys, have any of you guys been to the Spy Museum in DC.
Speaker 1: No, but are you thinking of the humanal masks?
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, So the International Spy Museum they have an entire wall of its face masks that are faces that people will wear and walk around to full facial recognition.
Speaker 1: You know, Hollywood's been doing that for years, dressing people up as different people.
Speaker 2: It was a show. I can't remember the name of the show. I think it was Person of Interest.
Speaker 4: Which was a person of Interest.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, it's so good and we're almost there, by the way.
Speaker 2: But yeah, the guy guy was walking. They were looking for a guy and they couldn't find him. They were sending you know, they were looking at all the feeds in the world to find him. And he had his hair grown out over his face. He had an eye drawn on the side of his face, he had you know, no no eyebrows, his mouth was covered and he was there. It was to throw off the facial recognition. Yeah, and he looked like an absolute freak. So we fit in in a lot of places in New York City.
Speaker 4: Was fine, burning and but.
Speaker 2: But I thought that was an interesting way to like, don't have a face that that would be this lea.
Speaker 3: So I I do a fair bit of like robotics and object detection on video recognition and that sort of stuff. Right, And there's this group of people who have been creating the anti facial recognition sweater so it's a sweater you can wear and the moment you put it on, it doesn't detect you as a human anymore.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: And it's like it's like the sweater actually has a picture of like a house and people in it, but they're kind of skewed and it's so it thinks that it's looking at a perspective far and off away, but it can't identify the person at that distance. And just so you can just walk through and it doesn't.
Speaker 1: Pick you up. That is really cool.
Speaker 3: Gibson actually wrote a book called Pattern Recognition that put this postulate forward I believe, I don't know, fifteen twenty years ago, but apparently people are working on it.
Speaker 4: So cool stuff.
Speaker 3: It's the ugliest goddamn sweater I've ever seen. Yeah, of course, I mean it's it is.
Speaker 2: That means it's very in now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, it's something.
Speaker 1: So maybe they just train their facial recognition stuff to recognize that sweater and exactly ugly sweater. Steal this sweater. Well, I guess that's a show. That's everything that we found that happened last week. So for more, we'll see you next week on Security this week, Bye.
Speaker 4: Bye, thank you.
Speaker 2: Guys seven,