Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on WBS. Constance me Vidio.
Speaker 2: Sorry, welcome back everyone, as we move into our ten o'clock hour, I'm delighted to be joined by attorney Jeff Convicts. Jeff practices law in the great state of California. He's an active practicing attorney who is in and out of federal court, in and out of the State Supreme Court in California. But he's also an author, and he has written a new book which is a historical novel. So, without any further Ado, Jeff, welcome to Nightside. How are you, sir?
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: Dan, Well delighted to have you. And you had a very successful book which was called The Sentinel that sold. I think it's about six million copies. Was that your first effort at writing a book?
Speaker 3: It was my first effort at writing a book. It had Actually it was in the mid seventies after I got met a law school at Columbia and I just a friend of mine said why don't you write a book? And I did. It was interesting because the first creative writing paper I had at Cornell, I got a d on and the professor said, you're illiterate. I guess I turned along the way.
Speaker 4: It's true.
Speaker 3: It's true. And the interesting about thing about the book, even though it was turned down by thirty companies in a Rose, Simon and Schuster took it, and then Random House took it. And in those days, math market paperback was the business. Hardcover hardly existed. And they did a television ad and the next day the book blew through the roof everybody wherever I went in La New York, wherever on airplanes, everyone was reading it and they would get to a little after page one hundred when virtually everyone would say what because I tricked everybody and that got them locked in. So it was a huge hit. And then I did a sequel called The Guardian, which was a hit too, But now no one there is a big.
Speaker 2: So so you're a young lawyer at that point who you have started to practice law. But but better than that, you now become a highly successful author. I assumed The Sentinel turned into a movie, and there there were there were all sorts of a film adaptation, et cetera, and it was a It was a smashing success. Did you ever think at that point, well, gee, I've found my real life, my real role in life. Here they if I get to that point.
Speaker 3: Well, it did become a movie at Universal. I wasn't one hundred percent happy with it because the direct there took shortcuts. But such a long story. The truth is, when I got out of law school, I went right into the entertainment business. I went to one of the biggest talent agencies as a lawyer agent, and then I went to MGM as a production executive, and I was writing the book at night. And then when the book came out and was a hit, Universal bought the movie rights in a big bidding war. I made a lot of money in nineteen seventy four, was shocking, and I had no money in the bank, and suddenly I had a million and a half dollars. So I wrote two more books, The Centinel, The Guardian, and A Monster A Tale of Lockness, which was more about politics and more of a thriller about oil drilling. And then I said, you know, I'm staying in the movie business. The book business is very difficult. And I spent the next I still am in the movie business, running running public public distribution and production companies. We made a lot of movies. I produced some movies, but kind of In nineteen ninety six, I went back to my law practice full time. But the seeds of this book, the new book, The Circus of Satan, had already been planted.
Speaker 2: Where where did those seeds spring from?
Speaker 3: It started in the late seventies with a book called Against the Evidence, about a murder trial that took place in New York. Basically, four Jewish gamblers hired three Jewish killers and one Italian killer to kill a Jewish gambler who was breaking the rules and had gone to the press. And the reason it was so notorious is from nineteen hundred to nineteen thirteen, politics in virtually every American city with some little adjustments, were controlled by what I call the Irish mobs. The Irish had come over the Seventh in the sixth in the eighteen forties eighteen fifties from the Potato famine, and a lot of them moved into gangs in these major cities. They were like the bootle Boys and the Roach Guards, and the Death House Gang and the Tunnel Gang. And eventually they coalesced into one big gang called the Wio Gang, which I begin my book with in a bar fight. And then by nineteen hundred they had basically moved out of gangdom and become political powers. Like in New York, the Irish completely controlled Tammany Hall, and through Tammany Hall they controlled the police department, who were all grafters, and the police department would scour the city grafting and grafting the opium dens and the houses of prostitution and the gambling casinos, and the money would be remitted to the eye Irish overlords at Tammany Hall and then the student The overlords at Tammany Hall would get people elected to major positions in the city who had then kicked back money to Tammany Hall. In fact, in nineteen ten, when Mayor Gamer was elected, he canceled money going to Tammany Hall for a thousand Tammany executives, all of whom were dead. So the money was just pouring in. And this happened in almost every major city, not so much in Boston because the Brahmins were there, as you know you're from Boston. But in my book, I do have Honey Fits and Patrick Kennedy and Kennedy's son and Rose Fitzgerald there in there. There was a heavy Irish presence in Chicago through Bath House, John Coglin and Hinky Mike Kenna. Saint Louis was completely controlled by Eddie the Rat Egan and his gang.
Speaker 2: But when you talk about when you talk about Chicago, obviously you get to the Daily family of you know, in the fifties, and they sort of handed it off to Jane Byrne and then that was kind of the end of the Irish control in Chicago. But there were a lot of stories about what mayor Daily, you know, the Richard Daily, the father, might have done to help find a few extra votes in Chicago to swing Illinois in the nineteen sixty presidential election. So those of us in Boston are very familiar with the interplay between political figures and gangs. So this is a book that I'm sure a lot of my listeners are going to read, and I want to, I want to expand our conversation on it, but I got to take a quick commercial break. My guest is attorney Jeff Convicts. John Jeff has had tremendous success as an author, and despite all of that, he remained a practicing, highly successful lawyer in California, And he now has a new book that comes out actually later this month called Circus of Satan.
Speaker 4: It is a historical novel.
Speaker 2: There's and we we will occasionally occasionally have authors of historical novels that I think would be of interest to my audience. We know a lot of the successions here in Massachusetts. Matter of fact, more recently we had the Senate President in Massachusetts, a Democrat by the name of Bill Bulger, and his brother, the notorious Whitey Bulger, who had been at one point a resident of Alcatraz. They had a real rule of terror here in Boston from the late sixties through the seventies and eighties and into the nineties. And actually Bulger was the former cent of President, was the president of the University of Massachusetts until then Governor Mitt Romney convinced him to resign that post. So even it comes up to the twentieth the twenty first century, and we're going to talk with Jeff Convince. If you have a question, you were more than welcome to join the conversation if you're interested in the interrelationship between politicians and gang activity, which dates from the earliest years of the nineteen hundreds, actually a little bit into the eighteen eighties, eighteen seventy eight onto eighteen eighties and nineties. That's the era we're talking about. If you'd like to join the conversation, feel free six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty six one, seven, nine, three, one, ten thirty. If you're familiar with any of Jeff's prior books, including The Sentinel, I think he would admit is his best known book, you can you can talk to him as well. We'll be back on Night's Side right after a couple of brief messages with my guest, California attorney, author successful in two very interesting and arguably related realms, writing and the law. Back on Nightside after this.
Speaker 1: You're on Night Side with Dan Ray on w BEAZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: My guest is a writer and a lawyer and accomplished in both of those fields. Jeff convicts. Jeff, let's talk about the book that is about to come out again, A book that you've worked on for some time. How long would you say you've worked on this book? I suspect it's been in the making for a long time.
Speaker 3: Well, I did after reading this against the evidence. And actually there are more books about the Becca Rosenthal murders. In fact, a book called Satan Circus which is nonfiction, and the whole book is about the murders. My book just uses the Becha Rosenthal case in about twenty pages, which triggers a whole bunch of plot issues that are fictional but lead to the same place. So I started writing it in the late seventies. Was I tried to fictionalize it. It didn't work. I put it away. It was sat in a closet for sixteen years. I got married again and my wife, my new wife, found it Joe, and she said, it's a great story. So I read it again. It didn't work, and then I realized why I was trying to fictionalize real events. So I turned my attention to writing a fictional story. But virtually everything in the book actually happened, from the Triangle shirtwaist fire to the Beck and Rosemen bal murders, the sinking of the Titanic, the murder of Stamford White, the nineteen oh three World's Fair, the Great Dance Fight in Chicago, the greatest dive in the history of boxing. All this stuff was real, so I had a feather my real characters through it. It took me twenty five years, fought and on because I had a law practice, and I was also producing movies. But it took twenty five years. And what I realized at the end, which was which shocked me, is about ten years after I started the book, there was a movie called Gangs in New York with Leonardo DiCaprio about the basically about the Irish and the Irish gangs. And then there was a giant mini series hit called Boardwalk Empire that started in nineteen twenty. My book basically ends in nineteen twenty. It's the middle period. It connects Gangs in New York the Boardwalk Empire and then explains a period and events that almost nobody knows about. It's a dead era when the Irish controlled everything, and then in nineteen thirteen the Irish mob was destroyed.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you a couple of questions here. I'm more familiar with what has gone on in Boston, and I suspect that's fairly a representative of some of the other cities that you have in this book.
Speaker 4: But in Boston, for a long long time, as we.
Speaker 2: Call them, the Brahmins of the Yankees, those who could trace their roots to the Mayflower, ruled everything here. They they were the bankers, Uh, the educators, they the the investors. It was it was all uh, one class. And then obviously you had, as you mentioned here, the UH the the Irish landed and UH and things changed and the Irish the way in was uh political. But at the same time there was a lot of gang activity here. There were other gangs that that came along. But the Irish in Boston, UH, they didn't want their their children, their kids to be involved in that sort of stuff. So, for example, you'd have Joe Kennedy. Uh, the patriarch of the Kennedy family was involved in bootlegging. Reportedly, I I can never tell you that I bought bootleg whiskey from Joe Kennedy, but I've seen enough to realize that's true. He himself was involved, as you know, in the movie industry, but his son went on to become the President of the United States. As you know, your dad was active in democratic politics. He had another son who ran for president. Both, of course, sadly and tragically were assassinated. But the patriarch wanted their children to be in what arguably was a cleaner business. But I'm not sure that the politics was any cleaner than the gang activity. If you get my drift.
Speaker 3: Well, as a current example, there were museums all over the country, and charitable institutions and a great creative art centers around the nation named after the Annenbergs, well most of them Max Adamberg with gangsters. In fact, they led the newspaper hit squads and Chicago that would beat up newspaper stand proprietors who had the wrong newspaper up front and their stands, and then the other papers would send gangs and beat them up. And then eventually at the end of his life Moses Annenberger tried to get away from it. Became the bigger criminal because he controlled the betting wire and he had a NonStop war with Capone and the Chicago organization and the Purple Gang. I mean, he was deeply embedded and then went to jail. And when he got out of jail, on his death bet he said to his son Walter, I made millions. I'm the richest man in the country. I was the most powerful man in the country. It was all for nothing.
Speaker 2: A lot of regret. There a lot of regret, And of course anybody who knows journalism knows that there are journalism schools Aninburg schools and awards and all that. So I assume that the pattern that we see here in Boston followed on in Chicago. And I don't know that I'd want to be in the gang that was up against al capoone. So there you had, I guess a Jewish gang was in competition with an Italian gang.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 3: The interesting thing is the Irish had in in Chicago. There were there was segregated vice district. The most famous was the Levee and that was run by a man by Big Jim Colosimo, who was assassinated in the first episode of Boardwalk Empire. So that the Irish powers, the Aldermans controlled the Levees and the other crime areas through through Big Jim Colosmo and Johnny Torrio who he brought in for New York, and then Johnny Toreo brought in Capone. But there was there was a heavy Irish presence in the gangs, the Obanion Bannons. You know that big Valentine's Day massacre. Uh So it was a mixed bag. In Saint Louis, it was all Irish, all Irish, okay.
Speaker 2: And when you use the term levees in terms of Chicago, we would be referring to it as the docks.
Speaker 3: It's the waterfront, well, it's called the Levy and it was about as depraved as you can imagine. The people in the people in Chicago loved the praved areas, but they wanted to separate them away so that their conscience could blossom as men of essex and morality that had none. So it was a little different in every city. But what happened was in the Becker Rosenthal murders, the connection between the politicians at Tammany Hall and the police department, which was totally corrupt, was broken, and once that was broken, the control over the vote died. Socialists came in with the Jews. The merchant bankers came in to rescue the Jews from poverty. The Protestant churches went to war with the Catholic Church, and before you know it, the Irish mob had collapsed, and out of that rose the Jewish organized crime families into labor rackets to hearing, followed by Jewish crime families and Italian crime families into bootlegging and then organized crime as we know today. But it wouldn't have happened without the Becca Rosenthal murders. That did it. It broke the chain that Herbert bays Swope, the great reporter, who was at the Pulett, who was at Pulitt's World, was trying to break. And this was the event that did. It's not central to my book, but it's at the end, and it allows part portions of the plot to unravel with all the surprise endings. So I use it. But there are whole books on that. There's a book, as I said, called Satan's Circus is one against the evidence. It's a very famous case.
Speaker 2: And so you take the title Satan's Circus and you flip it around here. Circus of Satan. Is that the genesis of your title?
Speaker 3: Two reasons. Number one, The ten Underloin district on the West Side was the upper level of crime and corruption.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: It was called the Tenderloin by a cop who said, I've been on the East Side getting chuck steak. Now I'm going to cross town to get some tenderloin. And San Francisco picked up the name.
Speaker 2: Yes, right, The tenderloin district in San Francisco was not a place you want to spend a lot of time.
Speaker 4: It's a.
Speaker 3: But the The Protestant clergy referred to the Tenderloin as Satan's Circus because it was so different, and I took the title for two reasons. Number one, there's a nonfiction book called Satan's Circus about the Becca Rosenthal murders. I didn't want to clash for that. But my hero, my my anti hero, is not exactly an altar boy. When he looks back on his life. Some of the things he did, he regrets it led to awful things. Even though the resolution might have worked out. He left the trail of bodies, pain and tears behind. And until the end of the book he admits, from the time he was a child until the end, he could never cry because so many bad things that happened. So he compares his life to a circus of Satan, and he has this metaphorical presence of Satanic clowns juggling and Satanic lion Tamer's taming at the end of each chapter, so it has a double meaning. It's his life and it's the place.
Speaker 2: Gotcha all right? We got to take a break. News at the bottom of the hour. My guest is attorney and author Jeff Convicts. If you you would have known him from the book The Sentinel and other books along the way. The new book, which is coming out on June seventeenth, the publication date. Who's the circus of Satan being published by you? Back with Simon and Schuster are a different publisher No, My.
Speaker 3: First three books were published by Simon and Schuster Random House in Bantam. This one, I decided it's going to be my own publishing company. I want complete control. I designed the cover, I had designed the inside, I designed all the marketing campaigns. My partner and I put up all the money. We hired the pr people, the marketing people, we have ads and publishers weekly in variety. We're going all out. It's very difficult because the major publishers have powers. In fact, it's almost impossible to get an indie book into a bookstore because of the discount rate for hardcovers. So the way you buy this book is you go on Amazon and it's actually in pre order. Now you go on Amazon or Barnes and Noble or other online booksellers, just press order, give your address, won't pay for it, and it comes the next day, two days later. So it's a different thing. I had to learn how to do this.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's the lawyer, and you're figure it out then, Jeff, we'll be back in a couple of a couple of minutes after the newscast. Folks, if you want to jump on board, you have a knowledge of these these these sordid histories in most major American cities throughout most of the twentieth century, and you want to either add to the conversation or ask a question, You're more than welcome six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty or six one seven, nine three, one ten thirty back with attorney and author Jeff Convicts right after the news break at the bottom of the hour.
Speaker 1: You're on Night Side with Dan Ray on w b Z, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: We're talking with a gentleman who has combined two areas of expertise literature writing and also the law. Jeff Convicts is a very successful California lawyer who hit it big with a book called The Sentinel in the nineteen sixties. That nineteen seventies. Excuse me, I'm sorry, I'm not that I.
Speaker 4: Was looking you know what I was doing, Jeff.
Speaker 2: I was looking at the number of sold six million, and I defaulted to the sixties, the seventies. You and I graduated from law school the same year. If you get out in seventy four.
Speaker 3: By the way, just now, I got out in seventies, So.
Speaker 2: Okay, fair enough. Well you don't sound it, that's that is for sure. And the book that he's written now is is available for pre order Circus of Satan, highly recommended to me by someone, which is why I have Jeff on tonight. I want to follow up because I'm not sure that you responded as fully as I think you could to the to the whole question of out of at least in Boston, and maybe Boston is the exception of the rule out of the the the Irish gangs. And and not that Joe Kennedy led a street gang, because that wasn't what he did, but he wanted to make sure that his sons were we're in a more legitimate field politics. And and ultimately, Bobby Kennedy went after organized crime. And as a matter of fact, some people believe that his pursuit of organized crime, UH and his tenacious pursuit of organized crime may have laid laid the foundation for both his and his brother's assassination. Do you have a thought on that theory, you know, because nobody knows the real story as far as I'm concerned, behind the Kennedy assassination. But I see the hands of organized crime much more clearly than I do of Fidel Castro, or the Soviet Union, or or or any sort of you know, crazy right wing plot does. Does your experience and your knowledge in this area, has that helped? Have you thought about that the implications of both of those assassinations.
Speaker 3: The easiest answer is I'm a political animal. I know that I read nonfiction. I read NonStop. I'm up on current events, and I've always been. I have my opinions on the Kennedy assassination. I feel strongly. I guess maybe our new head of Health and Welfare, mister Kennedy, feels the same. I suspect that Alan Dulles and the CIA had a hand in it. I can't prove it. There's no thorough proof of that, but they were as duplicitous a group of characters as I've ever come across. Now, all the derivations of that, I probably could talk for hours on it, but I don't believe there was a single gunman, and I don't believe the CIA wasn't involved. But you can paper the walls with my beliefs. That's from my analysis of what I've read, And I.
Speaker 2: Could be wrong, But by the way, not only could you be right, but your theory could possibly The Blaky Commission in the late seventies and the House of Representatives I thought, did the deepest dive on whatever was available in seventy nine and at that point had not been lost to antiquity, basically came to the conclusion that organized crime was more likely than not involved. But that is not necessarily inconsistent with your saying the CIA might have covered the attracts by using the Jack Rubys of the world and some of the Chicago gangsters who had very close relationships with a couple of women that President Kennedy allegedly was involved in.
Speaker 3: You don't as you're referring to Sam g and Conn and I wouldn't be surprised.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, Yeah, that's well, that was what the Blaky Commission, and I am influenced greatly by the Blaki Commission and spent a lot of time looking at that as a reporter in seventy eight and in the eighty three. The fifteenth and the twentieth anniversary of the assassination and had a chance to interview lots of the people who were on the scene. Literally from interviewed John Conley, interviewed Senator Ralph Yarboro, who was you know along in years by nineteen eighty three. Interviewed the Texas ranger who was holding Oswald's arm as Oswald was being shot by Jack Ruby, fascinating guy who only died a few years ago. Interviewed some of the doctors and nurses at Parkland Hospital. It was just it was a very you know, very interesting and again it shows that, you know, there is this relationship between organized crime and politics, or organized crime and government. There it's not as clear a demarcations as we should have in a society. Comment on that if you would, and then I want to get to some phone.
Speaker 3: Well, people sometimes ask me, how did the violence back then? And it was very violent. My book doesn't sugarcoate it. How is it different from the violence today? Well, the truth of the matter is whether it was the Irish mob or the Jewish organized crime that rose after the Irish Mob was destroyed, or even the Italian mob or gangsters, and whether they were original immigrants or the sons. They all wanted to be Americans. That's the difference. They wanted to be Americans. They just happened to want to be gangsters, but they wanted to be Americans.
Speaker 4: The path they chose.
Speaker 3: In fact, what's happening here today with the trend Agua, MS thirteen and others, they don't want to be Americans. It's the last thing they want. They want to use America for their own means. So I guess the difference is you have criminals who wanted to be Americans to be criminals, and today you have criminals who wouldn't care less about being Americans. And the other interesting thing is my story in my book is so intricate, and there are so many steps involved. If something goes wrong, everything goes wrong and you have to recalibrate. It could never happen today because you have cell phones, you have internets. You pick up the phone, you call someone else, and the plot would be broken today. Organized crime, other than these immigrant gangs are really like medicare frauds and SBA FORUD. It's all over the place. I see you have a lot of friends with criminal lawyers like Robert Shapiro, is a close friend of mine. It's all over the place, and it's more technological fraud, technological crime rather than the crime that existed back then.
Speaker 2: Well, the crime that's coming across the border, which involves fentanyl and things like that, which are really are scary. They they are selling that junk here because Americans will pay for it. Yes, there may be people in their home countries who would play, who would try that junk, but they can't make the same amount of money. There's no there's no return and investment selling it to people who are in poverty in Central America or South America. That's why they are basically bringing that stuff across the border, because there's a marketplace for it. Let me let me get us a call or two in here. I'm gonna go first off to Lola in San Diego, California. Lola, you are next on night Side with my guest who also is in California, Jeff Convits tonight. Go ahead, Lola.
Speaker 5: Hi, Jeff, thank you for troking my call. I just want you to know that your release date to your book is on my birthday, so thank you.
Speaker 3: By the way, birthday. When I set the date, it's.
Speaker 4: Also I have a bridge in Brooklyn. I'd like to show you.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, Dan, there's no coincidences. Bunker Hill Day is also my birthday. And I'm glad to see you keeping the radar up on corruption and what's going on, because we allegedly have some stuff going on in Massachusetts. So you might want to put your radar on that state for your next book.
Speaker 2: I think in San Francisco is talking about.
Speaker 5: Francisco. I'm not in San Francisco. I'm in San Dieo.
Speaker 4: I'm misspoke.
Speaker 2: I know that, I know that.
Speaker 4: But my daughter's in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, Uh, she's doing fine actually today she uh Lola is referring to the Karen Reed trial. I don't know, Jeff that you have followed that trial. It's uh, it's it's not a it's not a classic organized crime trial.
Speaker 4: Uh, but there is.
Speaker 2: There is a lot of allegations of police abuse and misconduct, and it's actually being used by the defensive attorneys, including a guy from California named Alan Jackson, who you might have be aware of.
Speaker 3: Well, I am following it, but not quite as much as I follow other things.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 5: So when you do, when you do get a moment. Look at the the YouTube videos because allegedly there's a judge there on the case and she's throwing signals like she's a baseball coach.
Speaker 4: Yah, you know what all I'm gonna I well, I gotta again.
Speaker 2: I think that that the jalre some rus here.
Speaker 4: But I want to get back to the topic that you know, I don't.
Speaker 5: Great to talk with you say and singing something is two different things.
Speaker 2: So just okay, time times out, Thanks much, We'll talk soon. Okay, have a great night if any of you would like to talk about the issue at hand, which is the book of my guest, Circus of Satan, which talks about organized crime activity in this country really from about the end of the nineteenth century, throughout the twentieth century, throughout much of the twentieth century. Attorney Jeff convicts. The book is called Circus of Satan. It's a historical novel. We do not do novels per se historical novels. I make exceptions for including the historical novels of our good friend Bill Martin William Martin, who has written so many great books which are New England based. This is a different type genre of book, and I want wanted people to be aware of it. We'll take a very quick break if you'd like to follow in Lola's footsteps and perhaps talk about this book or the theories that my guest has talked about. Six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty six one seven, nine, three, one ten thirty. Coming right back on night Side.
Speaker 1: Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: We're talking with Jeff Convits, a very successful attorney. It has been involved in the entertainment industry for a long time. But I had a breakthrough novel back in the mid nineteen seventies called The Sentinel UH and has spent the last I don't know a couple of decades with a book that had been buried away which he has brought to life. And it's called Circus of Satan, and it basically talks about ethics, morality.
Speaker 4: Judgment, revenge.
Speaker 1: UH.
Speaker 2: A very violent time. And and I think, Jeff, what's important one of the things that's that are important with your book is to make people understand really how violent America was in this period of time, and somehow we survived it as a nation. Can you imagine if there was an internet and and and spot news, breaking news stories back at the turn of the nineteenth century the twentieth century, I should say, uh, how that would have been covered? You know, the Valentine's Day massacre, these this's just this, you know, carnage that's that's that littered the streets of America for decades.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: I think I noted the fact that my book, which is fiction and as a page turn to, every chapter has a has a cliffhanger or a giant event that leads you to the next till the very end. None of that could have happened if you had the Internet and you had cell phones. The only place you got news in those days was through the newspapers, and the reporters controlled the message, probably more legitimately than some today. They were very accurate, but they all had their agendas. I mean Herbert Bateswolpe, who was the most famous appearances world. His agenda was women, protecting the workers in the garman places from abuse, and of course, when the Triangle shirtwaist fire broke out, one hundred and twenty five, one hundred and twenty eight women jumped to their deaths. He was the lead rabble rouser against the garment business. That was controlled by the Irish mob and so what happened then couldn't happen if we had the technology then technology now back then couldn't have happened.
Speaker 2: No, I do understand that, but I'm just saying we today, at least speaking for Boston, if there's a shooting, a single shooting, sometimes there's an injury, sometimes there's not shots fired somewhere, that will lead the newscast with breaking news. And I'm sure it's the same in every major American city. I'm sure it's the same in Los Angeles, San Diego, where Lola is, San Francisco, every major city, because the newscasts they if they don't lead the newscast with the weather crisis, and if you watch it, the TV consultants are telling everybody the only issue the subject that everyone is interested in his weather. It's only about twenty five percent of the people care about sports, other people care about this, care about that, but everybody wants weather. I just can't imagine, and it's impossible, maybe, as you say, for in the type of world we live now, for these gangs who have coalesced and survived and actually done well financially, et cetera. It just would have been so shocking, and I think it's important for us to remember that as bad as things are today, they were worse in this country in the past. I feel like I'm preaching here, but it's what I really do believe.
Speaker 3: Well, take for example, the Bowery. It was the most populated place on earth. In ten square blocks, there were five hundred thousand people. There were one hundred synagogues, there were two hundred gangs, there were one thousand selza plants. Everything was on top of each other, and everything was to get the vote. Control the vote. The Jewish, Jews and the Italians. Give them whatever they want as long as they vote the Tammany slate. Yeah, it was. It was very different today. A dead body lying in the street was no big deal. Now at dead body lying in the street, it's the news right away, top story.
Speaker 2: Breaking breaking news, that's for sure. Jeff again, how can folks pre order the book? And it comes out on June seventh, But people tonight can can just go.
Speaker 4: On to Amazon dot com? Is that how it works?
Speaker 3: As simple as that, you can go onto Amazon dot com or Barnes and Noble or any other online bookseller. It'll pop up, it'll say pre order. You just got to click it and put it, you know, pay for it, and they'll deliver it to you on June seventeenth, which is the publication date, or a day after, or you can order it an ebook if you're an e book reader, it's available. We're going to have a sale on the ebook, so you'll be able to get in for a week and get it very cheaply, but no sale on the hardcover. If you're gonna read a book, you're gonna pay for it, which is what I hope they do. It's a it's a big book. It's five hundred and thirty one pages. I believe once you start reading it, you will not be able to put it down. And not only that, you will learn a lot about ideas of justice, ethics, morality, history that most people don't know. You'll learn a lot from this book. And all the reviews have said so the reviews are sensational.
Speaker 2: That's great. Well, congratulations on both of your successes as a practitioner of the law and also as a practitioner. I would say typewriter, but typewriters are out a I'm sure you were dealing with the word processor or a computer. Maybe when you started you had a typewriter on this book, because this book has been a long time in the making. Jeff Convits, I really appreciated your time. I've enjoyed the conversation both this afternoon and particularly tonight as well. Thank you so much. Hope at some point to meet you.
Speaker 3: As a side comment, Dan, my first typewriter, a Remington Electric, is sitting next to my desk on a pedestal. I wrote this sentinel on that.
Speaker 2: Would I would be sentimental about the sentinel if I had been fortunate enough to have written it.
Speaker 4: Thanks so much, Jeff, we'll talk again. Thank you, my friend.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: You're very welcome. Here comes the eleven o'clock news, and after that it's the twentieth hour of the week, and I have an idea what I'm going to talk about, but I hope that you'll be willing to participate. Coming back on night's side,