Speaker 1: All right, good afternoon, welcome in. And I'm sure within the first half of a second you were able to determine that this doesn't sound normal, and it doesn't because we're not connected the way that we would typically connect to you know, do this show. But here's what I'm gonna tell you. I believe in the power of positivity. How about you, Austin, do you believe as well?
Speaker 2: That's all I'm about is positiveness. It's Thursday, Okay, good right, So it's Thursday.
Speaker 1: R Yeah, okay, it's Thursday. It's draft day. We're gonna have fun on the show today. It's gonna be great. However, I've had to connect remotely for just just because today, and usually that's never a problem. Ever, i mean that's usually not something that you would maybe even notice unless I brought it up. I'm sure you notice now because you know it actually probably doesn't sound terrible, but it also doesn't sound as if, you know, yeah, it also probably doesn't sound like I'm you know, in a studio, which is not great. I mean, we could get by with this, we're not going to We're going to believe in the power positivity in that we're going to get this thing situated, and everything's going to be you know, aokay. I mean, that's what I'm telling myself, and I'm going to try to be optimistic. So I was trying to figure out the connection situation, and it stumped me. I'm usually pretty savvy when it comes to I mean, like technical stuff, really just kind of figuring stuff out through trial and error, having to teach myself how to do a lot of things over the years, I've just you know, that's kind of how I usually don't if I really can't figure something out, I'll ask for somebody, but usually I mess with it long enough to where I figure it out on my own. But I sat here for about fifteen minutes, and I don't know what the issue is. And again, none of you care or would even know what type of stuff we use to get connected and all that. So I just I was very confident that at the buzzer meaning three o'clock, I was going to be aokay, And I really embraced the challenge because for some reason, I'm thinking, Okay, everything says we're good, Why is it not? You know, why is it not working? And you know, I wasn't able to figure out so I'm stumped. But again, we'll try to get it figured out.
Speaker 2: But did you try turning it off and then turning it back on? Seems to be the universal fix.
Speaker 1: Brother a lot of power down, power up, a lot of it, and unfortunately there was h And I mean, I I can't think of a comparison. I'm sure there are. I mean maybe maybe you're maybe you're thinking of one right now, meaning if you're listening and you know what I'm talking about to where there's nothing that indicates that things are not work are not supposed to be working. And I'm not talking about like connecting to you know, to do a lot of radio show, but just anything like technical like you know, let's just say you're in your car and for some reason, you have no you have no error messages, you have no alarms going off, nothing looks off, but your you know, your car will like start, but it won't move, Like I don't even know if that's the thing. I don't know much about cars, But like that's what's really got me stumped, because I would have made I would have made arrangements much sooner to try to get somebody to assist me. But here's what here's what happened. It's my arrogance or maybe my confidence and wanting to, you know, be stubborn and try to, you know, say no, I don't need help. I'll figure it out. Because it did like the challenge. But after about twenty minutes I probably should have realized, you know what you should call, you know, those that actually do this. So everything looks as if it should be working, but for some reason it's not. And that's that's why we are starting the show with me talking to you on the phone. But again, it's old school, right, it is old school, but I'm gonna I'm gonna believe it will get it figured out before before too long. But as you could expect, we'll talk a lot about the NFL Draft because you know, it's draft day and I I've always been a big nerd for the draft, not just the NFL obviously the NBA draft. I don't get into Major League Baseball's draft because I don't mean, don't they have like eighty seven rounds? Yeah it's high school kids? Yeah, yeah, I mean that that's me. I actually think that's one of the issues for baseball, meaning that they you know, they they don't like you have these guys who typically would go through this car wash, as they say, with all this promotion marketing, because these guys are the new potential stars of a league. And when you when you have guys drafted, you know, at any point in baseball, you don't see them in the league. You know that they're being drafted in as far as like you know, the real the big leagues until they're three four years in sometimes. So that's my explanation as to why I just don't I can't get into the baseball draft. But NFL, NBA, I mean, drafts are fun in general. I mean, today, Austin and I are gonna draft. We're gonna have a five round fast food item draft, meaning we're gonna go round for round and you know, he might take the quarter pounder, he might take the beef and scheddar. I might take the you know, take the the Gordida crunch, if that's even the thing anymore. So don't you don't. I won't. I'll leave it for you actually, just so you know that's not going to be on my on my board. But anyways, draft, the whole concept of of a draft is interesting, and that's why, honestly, when it comes to content on social media, podcast that kind of stuff like you oftentimes see. In fact, there's a there's a podcast I believe within like the Barstool Network that they just do snake drafts on different random stuff, like we did one on Valentine's Day, Austin and I did. It was for rom coms, and you know, that stuff's fun. I think it's one of those things that, like, more often than not, most people will have an opinion on said subject that you're drafting, because, you know, regardless of your rooting interests, regardless of like which team you're a fan of, even like regardless if you're even like a big sports fan. Like, it's such a broad thing that a lot of people have some opinions on. So anyways, we will do that a little bit later on. But also what I love about the draft is just I guess, the kid and me thinking about what it would be like to, you know, hear your name called and get drafted into you know, the NBA, the NFL, whatever whatever the sport is that you choose to you know, pursue. And you know, I did have the realization pretty pretty early in life that that was not realistic for me. You know there was not going to be a scenario where I walk across the stage and shake the commissioner's hand as I'm being drafted, because you know, I was I was pretty realistic about, you know, my upside. But I'm sitting here thinking today, imagine being one of these, one of these guys that you know, like you're there, like you're going to be drafted like the like, I'm sure there's a lot to balance, But what I was thinking about today is I try to put myself in the shoes of these you know, twenty two twenty one year old dudes who clearly have already been famous, have probably now with nil, already made a lot of money, right, so like, you know, this is this is certainly a big deal to them, but you know, they're already pretty well established. And I just wonder if do you still have that feel like are these guys thinking about when they were throwing it across, you know, throwing it in the backyard or playing little league football, about how one day they hope to have this happen because it be such a special moment. I mean, you know, and I also think that if you're somebody like I don't know, should or Sanders and maybe he's not the best person to bring up, but he's the only he's the most talked about person in this draft on draft day, and it's really not even close. I mean I haven't done a full audit to see who, in fact is, you know, being talked about more because there's so much talk about the NFL in general, especially the NFL Draft when you get to draft day, but we know the number one pick. I mean, we know who it's gonna be Cam Wore, and we know that right after him, it's probably gonna be Travis Hunter, and we don't really know where should or Sanders is going to be taken. And I think that's probably a factor in sort of the intrigue. But as much as I have been you know, anti Sanders family, I think they're I mean to me there there. I mean, it's you know a lot of people talk about Stephen A. Smith and LeVar Ball in that realm of like you know, and I shouldn't say a lot of people I do, and I think others see it the same way, like they're characters, they're entertainers, like I don't. I don't really take a lot of what they say serious. I kind of look at Dion's the same way, although he is, you know, legitimately a football coach at a Big twelve school and you know is a former you know, it's a legendary athlete himself. So you know, I don't know, I just part of me says that that in a way, like, regardless of what happens tonight, Deon Sanders and his son, they're winning like it. I mean, since Dion got to Colorado Austin, has he not been one of the most or maybe the most talked about person in college football? And it has not been based off results. I mean, maybe they were talked about a lot early on because you know, they were terrible and he got off to a terrible start, and then last year they clearly took a big step forward. But like, regardless of what happens tonight, where you know, if he you know, he's probably gonna get drafted in the first round tonight, but even he doesn't, like he's gonna be talked about in a way that like, I just don't think you're gonna hear as much about anybody else. And it's not because everybody's gonna say that he's gonna be a huge bust or they're gonna say, hey, whoever passed on him and let him get later on and you know, later later picks that are going to regret it. But I don't know. I just when I think of, Okay, here we go, it's a night's NFL draft, It's night one. I mean, the buzz name is shad Or Sanders and he may be awful. I mean, it may be great. You just don't know. But I just I can't think of anything in sports in recent years, let's go back, you know, two and a half three years. I just can't think of anything similar to what Dion Sanders Prime has done as far as just entering this world and regardless of what the results are. He's always talked about he's like Lebron in the NBA, He's like the Cowboys in the NFL. And I guess today was a day of me just accepting that. Like regardless, I think my hope was that you know, he would be humbled and they would, you know, they would realize that, you know, he's maybe not the worst coach in the world. But like all this was just publicity of his pr It was it was you know, it was more more of a TMZ kind of thing than it was like, hey, let's go hire this football coach because he's gonna get us competing at a really really high level. And to be fair, they are an better spot now than they were before him, and he did have a big bounce back year in year two. But really, you know, as far as accomplishments, nothing substantial. And it would be easier for me to say, you know what, a lot of credit is due, a lot of credit is deserved because they were what three and nine in year one and now you know they're I don't know what their record was, but you know they were competitive at the top of the Big twelve. And oh that's true. But I don't even like think to like acknowledge that one because yes, I'm probably a hater. Two Also because they act as if they've already won national championships, right, they act as if like no matter what happens, if they get blown out by anybody, like they just carry themselves as if they have a trophy case full of national titles. And that's just you know, so when you do something that is better than being terrible and clearly taking this step forward, like because of how you carry yourself and because of the hype that you generate. I mean, and again maybe it's not their fault, right, clearly they're good at it. They generate a lot of high But let's not be let's not let's not lie to each other here. Even if you are somebody that is very po Deon Sanders and you just you know, you want him to be successful. You think he's you know, he's he's he's edgy compared to what we typically see from coaches and all that kind of stuff. You know, it's not a surprise, and it's not it's not, you know, a coincidence that the majority of people who don't like Colorado or maybe just our big Deon Sanders fans like we we And I say we because I know I'm not alone. We enjoy seeing them loose and you know, talk to big talk, walk the big walk, and then you know, don't back it up. But I think two things I just have to accept. One, no matter what happens, the days of like Dion Sanders and his his his kids not being talked about at a high level. Really just I don't know when that's gonna happen, because I don't see any I don't see Deon leaving Colorado anytime soon. And even if Shadoor isn't great right out of the gate or doesn't start early, like he's gonna be somebody people talk about from this trap more than anything. So I just got to accept that. And also they're good at what they do, meaning they want people to talk about them. Like all Deon Sanders got the Colorado job, yes, because yeah, he was impressive at Jackson State, but like that wasn't a typical move, right, Like he didn't. I mean, he had really no previous head coaching experience at all before he got the Jackson State job. He's literally used every every step he's made as a coach, specifically, is all based off of what he did as a player many many many years ago. And it's not just because he was a great player, because he was.
Speaker 3: He was.
Speaker 1: He was sensational, I mean he was, I mean, he was, he was, he was. I mean, I don't know if I'd call him a legend, but not far from it if he's not one. But yet, even like where he is as a coach is not because of his playing career. It's because of his personality. It's because it like maybe what Dion is best at you know, and he's great at football. Clearly he was also great at baseball. How many people can do that? Alsin, we talked about thirty for thirties yesterday. Did you ever watch the one about Dion?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: I remember it, though I probably can't remember too much about it.
Speaker 1: The only the only reason I'm bringing up is because it took me watching that to realize that Dion wasn't just somebody who was great at football and then got a chance to play baseball. Was good at baseball like he was good at it. So so bring all this up to say he was great. Yet I feel like every bit of Dion, as far as today, it's all about not production, And again he had production. He's a better player, and he will be a better player than his kids ever will be. I believe that. Maybe they'll prove me wrong. But he's his personality, his charisma, his you know, whatever whatever words you want to use to to to to add him up, to build up to the word that is character slash charisma. He has that, and you know, I guess I just have to accept it. And I don't, you know, part of me says, well, that's just where we are. In sports, right, it's way more about drama and stories, like you know, stories that are in the drama world, controversy, that kind of stuff. Clearly that's going to generate more attention than really anything, and that's not new. But I mean, I also he's there's not many people that could that could keep their name out there regardless of what's going on, than than Deon Sanders. And I mean maybe his maybe his kid is a great quarterback when it's all said and done. And I look foolish for thinking that he you know, he's to me, he's a huge risk right now to draft early on here probably gonna happen regardless. But like if Deon Sanders' son was not named Shoud or Sanders and he was shit or Coffee and he you know, played at FAU, was decent, played at Colorado and you know, had some exciting plays, but really it would have been about Travis Hunter because obviously he's the elite player like the Sanders, like Deon Sanders has has has put him his son in this position, and you know, credit to him because you know, if I was a dad, maybe I'd be doing the same thing. So am I wrong?
Speaker 4: Though?
Speaker 1: I mean, you follow the NFL honestly more than I do. Austin isn't should or Sanders the most talked about name right now, and it's not close.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you you just mentioned something that just hit me. They the Sanders family is basically here to stay uh for for at least the time being, and they've elevated up to I mean, if they're not talking about Lebron or the Cowboys or insert New York team here, then it's Deion Sanders. And this year's draft is going to be shadoor. And I don't know if you would even I actually told you a couple of months ago. I was afraid that this would probably turn into like an Eli Manning situation. See, I thought that they would get so heavily involved, and because he was trending towards being the best quarterback the number one overall pick, and of course things happen. Obviously, cam Ward is the runaway favorite for it right now, but I thought he would just be in line to go to uh who has a number one pick? It's the Giants, right or the Titans.
Speaker 1: Number one overall pick? Is the Titan is a Titan taking Ward?
Speaker 2: Okay, See, like when it was going to be Like in the Giants discussion when the season was was going on, I told you, I said, I would be afraid that there might be some drama caused by them during the draft. It doesn't seem too far fetched for him. But no, no, you're right. They've entered a level to where they're they're not gonna there. No one's going to not talk about him because they are polarizing, and whether how you feel about him, they do make headlines. And whoever whoever does get Shador, they're also gonna have You're right, it's gonna keep following them. There's gonna be more following on them, and Chador's journey throughout the league, everything that he does in training camp, if somebody happens to come over and get ahead of him on the death chart, that's gonna be have more eyes on it. So, yeah, there's a lot you're right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, and it's you know, and there's other things we'll get into when it comes to today's draft. I think the story of the I think it's the GM of the Yeah, the GM of the New York Giants. He's a teenager and on Instagram he posted what appeared to be a legitimate cinematic video that the giants had already pre put together because they know they are taking Jackson Dart, which I mean, isn't that an old time Like I mean, that's like something you'd see in a movie that's about the draft. Yeah, Like GM's son leaks pick with social media because this kid, he's seventeen, I think, and he's already he's already gone to being tried it on Instagram. Now as if like uh oh he realized that he he you know, he probably had it on his story. He probably had a few hundred followers from kids that he knows from high school. And all it took was one person to realize I think, you know, I think this this kid's just let us know that they're gonna do. And here's the thing, if they if they draft him, I mean, everybody's gonna know that that's what it was, right, Like it won't you know? And again if I guess there's no real harm in it. But again there's there's also some really good stories that come from the draft. I don't know if we're gonna get what we had many many years ago. Laramie Tunsel with the grass mask, the bong mask like that, that's an all timer. Like the NFL Draft has given us some great stories, and we'll see what we end up getting tonight. I'm I'm certainly excited for the draft, but we'll also continue to talk about some other things. I Uh, we had somebody ask yesterday and I kind of I kind of laughed it off a little bit, like, well, yeah, you know, maybe maybe Louisville gets involved with Travis Perry because you know, he's a really good shooter and Pat Kelsey really values that. But I thought, you know, they've already got many guards this year. He would never and who knows what the kid wants to do. But again, what I'm getting at is I shouldn't say I was wrong because I didn't really make a full prediction. But Louisville is one of the schools that has reached out, and I don't know if they're seriously in the mix, but wouldn't that be something. And I actually have a thought about Travis Perry that I can't believe I didn't think of yesterday when somebody asked me that question. But we can certainly get into that, and more importantly, what we're going to do is figure out how the hell to get the connection stuff fixed because I think we've been able to make it work as best we can.
Speaker 2: Right Yeah, I mean we're I mean we're up in the air where we're good.
Speaker 1: But you know, obviously we don't want to do the show sounding like this because you know we're professionals, believe it or not. I mean, I promise we try to be sometimes maybe I don't know. All right, it's Coffee and Company. We are a feel about. Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety and we're going to try to get this stuff figured out during the break. So stick with us right here again on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 5: By Yeah you it's me, your heart, listen to me. We've got to talk. High blood pressure is serious and yours. WHOA what happened to us? We used to be so much more active, but lately you've been ignoring me. I know you think I'm just gonna keep taking away forever, but you're wrong. You can do so much more to control your high blood pressure. Doing the minimum isn't doing enough. I'm wonder a lot of pressure and can quit whenever I want. Bet you to't know that, but I like my job. Just treat me better check on me, Give me something green to nibble on every once in a while, and maybe we can do some exercise on occasion. Let's get to it. After all, we're in this together.
Speaker 6: Listen to your heart. Don't let it quit on you. High blood pressure can lead to a stroke, heart attack, or death. Get your blood pressure to a healthy range before it's too late. Find out how at heart dot org slash blood pressure check Change Control. A message from the American Heart Association, the American Stroke Association, and the ad Council.
Speaker 4: Unexpected Reactions to smart financial decisions, brought to you by Feedthepig dot org.
Speaker 7: Well I finally did it. My student loan is totally paid off.
Speaker 8: I can't believe it.
Speaker 7: I can't believe it either. I paid more than the minimum each month, and soon enough it was gone.
Speaker 8: So you're just giving up, giving up on what the life of luxury, Egyptian cotton caviar, Thursdays, Designer Everything.
Speaker 5: What are you talking about our plan?
Speaker 8: What happened to winning the lottery and mastering the art of the perfect mimosa? Posting galas, wearing enough jewelry to require a bodyguard, vacationing in the French Riviera and then buying it.
Speaker 7: I just thought maybe it was time to prepare for my future. You know, set some financial goals, make some smart investments. Open a four oh one.
Speaker 5: K financial goal investments of for one k.
Speaker 8: You are horrifying right now. Listen, if winning the lottery were easy, everyone.
Speaker 5: Would do it.
Speaker 4: When it comes to financial stability, don't get left behind. Get tools and tips for saving a feed thepig dot org. This message brought to you by the American Institute of CPAs on the AD Council.
Speaker 5: Five years later, How I'm out of miss still draft day a wigginstead of a sub? You stay winning?
Speaker 1: Oh man, you know how to do it for you.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: Coffee and Company, we're returning, kicking things off for a Thursday. That's right, it is Thursday. I am Austin Montgomery. I'm not Nick Coffee. He's at home. We're still having some issues trying to get everything running. So it doesn't sound like he's on the phone. Well he's been on the phone the whole time. But you probably may not have been able to tell the difference because he's a professional. War All professionals here. Sports Talk seven ninety brought to you by Thornton's our friends over there and it's draft day. As you heard our guy Drake. I remember when Johnny Manziel was such a big deal and that crossover was just absolutely insane. Now look at it, pretty fun stuff. But while Nick is kind of getting everything all set up, we're trying to connect to him here so we can sound a little bit more professional to you since it is draft day. Got some audio here from a couple of weeks ago. We got to talk to Brian brom talking about the upcoming season, looking forward to the spring game, and of course some Tyler shuck talk shook of course, rising up draft boards today for the NFL Draft. A lot of fun talk going about him. So excited to see where that goes. But until we get everything connected, here is our interview from a couple of weeks ago with Little offense coordinator Rian Brown.
Speaker 1: Is getting big, just hits, no missing Brian.
Speaker 3: How are we doing, brother, I'm doing doing good? Looking forward to the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I'll start by it sounds like there was really no consideration for for this program to consider not having a spring game. I know that's happened elsewhere, and I know you can speak for anybody but yourself. But you know, obviously you've been in this industry for a long time, you have peers, you have contacts. What would you say is the biggest reason as to why some of those programs would want to do that? Is it because they're worried about players getting posted, worried about egos getting hurt, because maybe these guys who transferred in aren't where they need to be on the depth chart. Again, I know you guys aren't going to do it, but it's just a surprise to me that you're seeing this thing kind of just not be a thing anymore at some programs.
Speaker 3: I think there's too that I think. I think, you know, obviously not getting players post and not letting your opponents be able to get a glimpse at what you're going to look like come come fall, because we will will study. You know, in the past, we study the spring games that people put on TV and make sure that we see the personnel and what they're running. So that does get studied. So some coaches get paranoid about that. And then you know, the injury thing sometimes, you know, everyone wants to get through the spring healthiest. The biggest thing you don't want to get your guys hurt. So that's probably one of the reasons that the teams are are shying away from that as well.
Speaker 1: I wasn't planning on asking you, but you said the word which opened the door is college football coaching? Is it? Is it true that it is a paranoid profession? Seems like it is, but you you would know better than me.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think a lot of coaches are very parannoyed about people stealing their stuff, stealing their signal, stealing what they're doing, getting the edge, and we're all working to try to get an edge. Yeah, the way we can so at some at some points it's justifiable. You know, we do so much on offense. Sometimes I tell you guys, I say, hey, I probably can answer my call sheet and you wouldn't really know what we're doing, So good luck figuring that out because we do a lot, so we don't worry about it too much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna say, I feel like it'd be a little more difficult when it comes to that with with the system that you guys run. But for tonight's game, I mean, as far as formatter, we expected have just a typical type of spring game. Four quarters competitive rosters. I mean, you guys may be planning to make some adjustments on the go just to kind of get some different looks. What's the plan for to night As far as what fans can expect.
Speaker 3: It's going to be very similar to what we have done in the past. So we're gonna go ones on good on good, ones, on one twos, on two threes, on threes. You won't see much tackling, if any tackling. Uh So it'll be thud, which means that the defender has to get to the ball carrier and and and give them a little something without taking them to the ground. Uh So the ball will beat down when when that occurs. But you're gonna see you can see all our players, all the best players. We're gonna be competitive. Uh there's a scoring system for the it's offense versus defense. So, uh there's a scoring system for the defense to get some points and make it a competitive matchup to to really have some fun out there and see these guys in some live action, see them in a competitive environment where the coaches aren't out there telling them what to do. I've seen them when they get out there in front of fans in the stadium. Sometimes when the lights him on, some guys play better, some guys play worse. It's good to know that going into the lost season, how they're going to react.
Speaker 1: Well with it, with the new world we're in with rosters, you know, turning over much more so than they used to. There'll be a lot of guys tonight playing in front of fans here at Louisville for the first time. One of them will be your new quarterback, Miller Moss. I'll go back to a couple of years ago. I guess it hasn't been quite that long, but two seasons ago. I'm sure there was no thought in your mind that whenever he was having a hell of a game against you guys in that Bowl game, that he would now be the guy kind of running the show for you guys.
Speaker 3: No, I didn't, you know, Yeah, that was It wasn't fun to be on the other end of that. But it's good to have him here. He's he's super smart, very intelligent. He throws a really pretty ball, very catchable football, and he gets the ball out on time. So very excited about him. He's been He's been tremendous this spring so far. He's done a great job of understanding the offense. He's a football junkie. He wants to watch film all the time. He's he's grabbing me for extra film work pretty much every single day. So he's done a great job of coming in, digesting the offense, learning it all, and then being able to go out and execute on the field. So really excited about him, and really excited for the fans to kind of get a glimpse of him in our uniform instead of in the opponents.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I know, you know, you guys would keep a guy forever if he has eligibility and he wants to stay and he can have success for you guys. But obviously that's just not as common anymore. And I remember during the Notre Dame game, it was the broadcast. I remember Jason Garrett had mentioned that I guess in conversation with your brother Jeff, that that you know, he really wasn't against having to go get another and I shouldn't even say having, but like the ability to go get a veteran that has played high level college football. I think a lot of coaches they want to keep the same guy as long as they can. And sure you will if you can, But I don't get the sense that you guys as a staff are are worried about bringing in somebody, even if it's only for a year. Clearly, last season, even the season before that, it's it's been pretty successful.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, you try to adapt to whatever the rules are at the time. So, you know, obviously we want to get the best recruits in here that we possibly can and develop those guys to be great players and get them on the field, and at the same time, we want to win now. We've always kind of carried that m O going into every season that we want to win this season. We're not not as concerned about just getting guys in to get them ready for the upcoming years. We want to win now. So a lot of times, you know, there's good options out there in the portal. There are. It seems like every year so far there've been quite quite a few good quarterbacks that get out there and are are in the open market. So each year we're just trying to put the best team out there that we can find the best quarterback that we can. And yes, if we if we get a young guy that does a great job and carry this thing for multiple years, that would be phenomenal. We would love depth, but a lot of times in this game, it's about opportunity. Sometimes guys get that opportunity early, whether it be through bad play or injury or whatever it may be. Maybe we knock on Wood, have not had to dive into our depth chart very far the first two years. Hopefully it continues that way. We keep our starter healthy and keep them off the ground and those type of things. But we definitely got to be prepared if we need to dive into the depth as well.
Speaker 1: Roan brom Is our guys joining us here on Sports Talk seven ninety getting separate tonight's Louisville football spring game. Last year's quarterback Tyler Shuck, he was. He was pretty damn good, and he's getting a lot of a lot of buzz right now leading up to the NFL draft. Obviously, you spent time in the NFL, you played the game, your quarterback, yourself, I know you were. You guys have had been impressed with with with with Shucks since since he arrived, and obviously he had a really good season, But did you expect him to kind of wow NFL personnel the way he has? I mean, there's a chance he could be taken really pretty early in this draft, which I don't think any loisvill fan that watch would would be surprised that he's he's good. I mean, we saw with our own eyes, but it just seemed like the buzz really kind of came out of nowhere and it continues to be growing. It seems.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I.
Speaker 3: Am not surprised. I think his talent is evident if you just if you watch him a stature, the way he throws the football, the way he moves, and then when you get to talk to him and see how smart he is, how articulate he is, what a great leader he is. He just has He really checks all the boxes. He has all the attributes you want in a franchise quarterback. So I would not be surprised to see him taking in the first round. I think he is a first round talent for sure. You know that the knocks on him would be the injury history, and sure he's a little bit older, so that might push him down a little bit. But I think he's as good as anybody out there. And I think once the evaluators start seeing him in person and start watching the film, they're all seeing that as.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm not a body language expert, not I've never played the quarterback position, but one thing that stood out to me. I don't want to get your thoughts on about him, and also to me, he seemed just very sure of himself. Right, you could tell there was a confidence that was infectious. But it wasn't because of any type of you know, arrogance or I mean, he seemed calm and cool, but you could just tell he trusted his arm and made some big plays and it just seemed like that. I mean, again, I've never played the position myself, but it seemed like that. Really that really they can really boost your offense with everybody.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, it is super calm. I mean just the maturity level that he had. Obviously he's a seventh year player, but with all the types of experiences that he has had, he's been through so many different things, and I think that built your character, built your confidence. He was very sure of himself. You know, he went to Oregon, he was in quarterback battles, He won quarterback battles, he lost quarterback battles. He went to Tech when he played for multiple coaches. You know, at Tech had the injury bug. You had to keep fighting through that, keep fighting through that. I think when you experience all those things as a person, mature as a quarterback, that confidence is going to show in the field. Man. I think it did last season, and that's why he was able to be so successful.
Speaker 1: You've already mentioned it, and I'm sure it's not something that people are surprised to hear, but hey, we want to win now that I like that motto, and it's I mean, you guys have been winning since you showed up a couple of years ago. I don't see that stopping anytime now. But usually that's a pitch to transfers and you know, obviously freshmen as well, but freshman making a big impact in year one it still happens, but it's just really it's never been super common. But you had two freshman running backs on your offense last year that were insane. I mean, Isaac Brown Duke Watson, two of the best, maybe the two best freshman running backs in the country. Certainly in the conversation, you played alongside some really really good running backs. Tell me a little bit about these guys and really their upside, because I mean, if they just come back and have the same production the same season they had a year ago that would be phenomenal. But these guys, I mean they're still nineteen years old.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're really good. I mean they both are obviously a little bit on the small side of your running back frame, but both got really great speed. Isaac is got that home run hitting speeding time to give them the ball, you just know that it can possibly squeeze through there for for a huge play. So it's just so fun to watch him run. I think Duke is a little bit tight spaces, he has a little more wiggle, and he's phenomenal as well. So we're we're blessed. You know, getting those that makes the quarterbacks job easier, It makes the play college job easier, It makes everybody's job easier. We can hand it to these two guys and let them run the football and go get yards in ways where you don't have to really out scheme everybody. You just give it to your best player and players and let them go go get the yards. So we're blessed to have those two.
Speaker 1: A couple of quick questions and we'll let you out, and you've got to get ready for tonight's game. But when it comes to recruiting players and now the Nile component being a factor. Some times it's a big factor. I mean, who knows, maybe I I mean, might be the most important factor for most players. That wouldn't really shock me when you consider it. But is there something about the recruiting process now in this new world that is a challenge an obstacle that maybe? All right, so we've we've made some progress, folks, So I'm sure this is not perfect, but hey, we're again, we're making progress. I trust it in the power of positivity and and you know, again we're making progress. I will say this to defend myself. Maybe this is my insecurity that's really showing. As I was stumped before the show started to figure out why I couldn't what's going on here? Why can't I get this figured out? It turns out we're having like network issues within not just our company, but like you know, a lot of places, and that's the factor. So, hey, it's not all my fault. But let's get to a quick break. Thank you to Austin who was hustling to make you know, to make it work while we get it figured out. What I do we played some of the that's what you do, and you do a great job at it. So I really do appreciate that. Hey, we we we're a team and this is not ideal, but hey, it's time almost back. It's Draft Day. We're having fun and we'll take our last break here at three o'clock hour, come back on the other side, kind of get some things reset and keep this thing rolling along. So appreciate you hanging out with us. Again. It is a Draft Day edition of Coffee and Company, and we are Philbeuth Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. All right, we were wrapping up the three o'clock hour here on a Thursday afternoon, a Draft da edition of Coffee and Company. And yesterday we did talk a lot about James Scott and his decision. And I don't say this based off the fact that like I've heard any kind of new information or that you know, anything's changed. I mean, to be honest with you, I have no clue as far as what played out with James and the communication with him and the staff, and really just you know how it all played out, and really nothing would honestly shock me. So what I'm saying is that you know he's going to have options. And he's a perfect example of somebody that I think if you do wait late and you hit the portal, and there's going to be teams that did not feel like they were able to address the needs that they had at certain positions. If you're a late addition to the portal and you happen to fit what they need, there's going to be a level of like, all right, well we missed, we can't miss Now this guy we got it. So two things, One, they're going to really pursue you because they you know, you're like the gift they didn't know they were going to potentially get. But also, you know, they they they may have to spend more than they want to because they they just are in that position because they swung and missed early. So I've heard that both Texas Tech and NC State are are are bad, you know, fighting to you know, make an offer to James Scott, and I don't what. I don't know. And when I say I don't know, I mean that I don't know, and so it could be one or the other. I don't know if Louivell is even trying to persuade him to stay and make match the offer, or if they've just accepted he's gonna move on. I have no clue but the worry that you would have if you're somebody that does hit the portal late. And you know, because again I think more often than not, there's gonna be good teams, Like there's gonna be teams every portal cycle of the Power for Power five level that did not hit on what they wanted to address. And if you become available late, there's gonna be some desperation there. However, you know, depending on which program it is, do they have the money? You know what I mean? Like, you know, a lot of money has probably been spent from these and you know, from the nil budget at this at this stage in the game. So I don't know what's gonna happen with James Scott. But uh, the one name that that Louisville fans have talked a lot about for good reason, because Louisville is one of the many schools that's recruited that is recruiting this transfer in the portal. I just have no clue if it's you know, and that's that's probably my biggest complaint about the portal is it's not a complaint as far as like what it's doing to the game. I'm I guess my complaint is more so just based off how it how it pertains to me, meaning like I would I would love to be able to talk about these players based off the fact of like are we wasting our time or is this somebody that Louisville is really pursuing. And then the industry is mutual. What happens is it's such a faster moving process compared to what you get with the you know, the standard recruiting process of high school players. So you know, you see a list from a reporter or a list from a from a player that just says, here's the schools that has reached out to me. That is a broad, uh you know, vague way of you know, laying it out there. I mean, somebody called it to to you know, kick the tires and have a conversation. You know that they may after said conversation, they may move on and say, yeah, we're good. We don't we don't, we don't, We're going to go in a different direction. But there's no there's no way of knowing that, right, there's no there's no updates for fans like myself who want to follow it. So Bobb A. Miller is a transfer from FAU. Started his career at at Florida State in Louisville. Is again one of the many schools that has linked to him as far as just expressing interest. Don't know about visits, don't know about anything when it comes to that. But he would be a I mean, and here's the thing, you know, I when you look at his numbers, there's really no way to say that he wouldn't be a bigger addition than what James Scott is. I mean, he's a better player. I mean, he's he's somebody that you know, I'm pulling up his numbers here. I know his numbers at at Florida State weren't weren't really impressive, but he was a big time recruit coming out of high school. And then again at Florida State. You know he was. He was decent. I think he averaged about he's Florida State for two years he did average seven points as a sophomore, and then at FAU last year's when he kind of broke out, averaged about twelve points a game, seven rebounds, shoots it pretty well, pretty versatile. In fact, he's a really good I mean, he's six eleven, two hundred pounds, not a real beefy physical presence, but he's big, and he's skilled and he can shoot it. And last I checked, that's that's the type of one Pat Kelsey. But the issue is that, you know, you could get him great one. I don't know if he would be like he's he's he went to Florida State for two years and then he's at FAU and what he's doing is a bounce back. In fact, a former Louisville player who was a teammate of Bobba Miller's last year, did the same thing, Caleb Glynn. Right, he went at Louisville and you know, had an awful well, he didn't have an awful season, the team did, and he, you know, he decided to transfer to a lower level. He did FAU and he had a really good season. And now he's playing at Michigan State for Tom Mezzo. So I just I find it hard to imagine that Bobba Miller would would want to jump back up but yet walk into a situation where he's clearly going to be playing probably behind Cason Pryor. And I don't know if you throw these guys in the same position. They're different, but you know they could they're different players, but they could both play the three in the four. But like Javon Hadley, so you know, Louisvill's interest level is legitimate and meaning you know that they clearly would probably love to add this guy. I just one don't know if Louis if it's a compatibility kind of thing, because yes, he could be jumping up from fau to a place like Louisville, but he could also end up going to you know, Memphis or who else is after him, like Memphis, Indiana, Yukon, Like these are the schools recruiting him. So you know, Louisville, they've got an ay all money, and you know, I never want to count out Pat Kelsey when it comes to adding anybody, but I just you know, for those saying, Okay, not a big deal, James Scott, we can replace his production. He's one dimensional. All he does is dunk. We can actually go get somebody that's better and more skilled. This is you know, this is a good example to kind of lay out my point yesterday. James Scott. We thought at least was content and comfortable, you know, being a guy who just gave you everything. He had effort and dunked on people, and you know, he wasn't out there trying to get fourteen shot attempts a game. And I just assumed he would be willing to embrace playing, you know, twenty minutes, maybe off the bench. I don't think Bobba Miller is in any way looking for the kind of role that Louisville now has opened. And it worked again. I still felt like, even with Scott there, they would have probably benefited from adding at least another front court player that has some better and experience. But it worked out good because you know you've got Case and Pryor who could kind of more so be your I mean, he does shoot a lot of threes, but obviously he's a more polished offensive player in your front court, whereas you've got Sonny Fruits kind of the same kind of the same thing. And then with Ali Khalifa, I mean, he's he's a big physical presence, but he's more of a shooter and a passer than he is and he kind of, you know, get him the ball in the post and let him use his post moves. So James Scott, you know, he was he was a rare guy that I just felt like, yeah, the production won't always really indicate how valuable he is. But it's not just what he does, it's finding guys who will embrace that, and James did. But maybe I was wrong, you know, I kept saying, you know, James Scott, it's hard to find guys that are willing to do what he does. But maybe, like we learned that he didn't want to embrace that because he decided to leave. I mean, I think it's more about money and maybe being closer to home, that's my guess. But they could get Boby Miller great, but when he doesn't, he doesn't. What you lost with James Scott is valuable, and if you don't believe it is, I do. It's valuable and Bobby Miller doesn't doesn't check those boxes. Although he's a better player, he's bringing something that you just don't have as much of a need for because the other guys you have in the front court kind of do that too. So again, we'll see how it shakes out. I mean, I don't mean we can take a look at some of the best players that are still available in the portal as of right now. You know, I wish I had more info as far as who Louisville was like really going after who they were pursuing, But regardless, I just have a hard time seeing them not I mean, I think they were going to always try to fill the scholarships. But I thought once they got Casing back and Scott hadn't hit the portal yet, there was a chance that maybe they kind of hold onto those scholarships and maybe find some guys from overseas to come over, like they did with with Sonny. But now I think they're probably I mean, they'd be foolish not to try to find somebody to go replace James Scott as just a guy that's got some experience. They can give you some depth in the front court. But again, you know this late in the game, there's not as many players as available as there was a few weeks ago. And also you're now having to sell a role that I think a lot of guys are probably thinking, you know, the money's right, I'll do it, but not all I want to go be your fourth best big man. I want to go play and look, you could tell them, hey, come here and improve it and show it, but you know, or they could walk into another place with decent money, maybe the same money, and know that like they've got a good chance to start. So anyways, we'll get to it. It's draft day. We got two more hours left. Thanks for hanging out with US Coffee and Company. Piobeth Thorton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety