Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, making her wait till the mic they started dimming the lights. You started feeling all right from Birmingham home with the teddy lungs and the room and studies more. Once you discovered or rather the lovers Whitney Houston and Roman Reigns, all of the lovers, and Mickey James and Mark j all of the lovers. It's Asa Banks. You're them on a silk signing and page. Allow me to say, look.
Speaker 2: I just found the blessed weet escape.
Speaker 1: Every one of the buzz I was kind of laxed. I just made it up the trouble blood walking by the face because I know it's right in front of us. I ain't with the hay. You gotta focus on much great ladies and gentlemen, and steph Hardy is on the air. Had to drop a couple of bars just to make you all aware. So sit bad, relax, enjoy the show. You know why, go by Joe Well the wrestle.
Speaker 3: You Hey, y'all. Welcome, Welcome, Welcome to the second episode of HWP Extra of twenty twenty five. Of course, I'm your girl. Stephanie Hardy, Hosting creator of HWP, HWP Extra and co host of Stephan Kat Talk Wow and writer for Daily DDT and color commentator featuring in various promotions. And for this episode, I decided to do something completely different and just be bold and just strike out and talk about something that really blessed my soul at the very beginning of the year and something that has carried me through in my life. And before we get to that, I have to introduce my fabulous guests who are going to help me talk about this amazing subject. First off, we have one half of those Wrestling Girls, an absolute pioneer for black women in wrestling media and just an all around amazing person. She is also a work She is also a social media producer and creator for Hot ninety seven and just an amazing person. She is Christa b. Thank you so much for coming on this show. And then and then finally, we have Vaughn who is King Vaughn Junior and he is the host of the Victorious Ones podcast and he is a great supporter of a lot of people in black wrestling media while also maintaining his own platform himself and just an all around amazing person.
Speaker 2: Thank you guys so much for coming on tonight. Thank you for having us. I'm excited to talk about Lucy Vandros.
Speaker 3: Yes, and I'm so happy and thrilled to be talking with you guys about Luthor, simply because a lot of the times, whenever I talk about the amazingness that is Luther and Ross, it's always with people like family members who are a little bit older than me, or people who are you know, who are alive during his boom period and during his time and all of the above. But to get to talk about it with people who appreciated, who are around the same age as me, it's a very rare thing and it's very special, definitely for HWP because most of.
Speaker 2: The time, a lot of the time, we talk wrestling in all of our platforms and such, so to be able to talk about something different it is really amazing. So, yes, guys, we are talking about the acclaim documentary Luthor Never Too Much, which aired on television on New Year's Day on CNA and on the old.
Speaker 3: Oprah Winfrey Network. But it was released in theaters and select theaters across the country I believe last fall, and it even aired and they also had like a screening for it here in Birmingham as well. But I didn't get to make it towards it, so I guess, you know, for me, I was just like, you know, I think I'll just catch it on television, and I am really happy that we get to discuss it. So, Krista, I'm going to start with you. When was the first time you heard Luther Van Dross And how did you feel when you heard him sing.
Speaker 2: Don't I don't know? So you know, growing up in a black household Saturday, yes, you get up clean and you hear all the oldie but goodies. But my aunt she used to when she used to pick this up from school a drop well, we used to drive home at night. She used to listen to ninety eight point seven Kids FM, and it was at that time it was just like why are we listening to to that? Like we want to listen to, you know, music of our generation, but it was a more of a older station. And then when Kiss had FIM left, she started listening to one or seven point five to VLS full Circle I work there now, but it was on those stations where we would listen to like Luther Vandros. Never too Much was literally one of the first songs I feel like I've heard along with if this were with mine, along with the superstar, and I've always loved his voice. His voice was something specially, something unique. And then when he you know, came out again in the late or the early two thousands, would you know, take you out dance with my father? It was just like, Okay, there's a resurgence of Luther Vandros, but it was I don't think there was ever a time where I never I haven't listened or haven't heard of Lutha Vandress song, whether it's a remake, whether it's him, whether you know it's I don't think there's ever been a time where I haven't listened to him.
Speaker 3: Right, And I think that's you know, poignant, the way that you put that. Even though you said you know you can't exactly remember the first time you heard him, you do know that his voice was ever present in your life.
Speaker 4: And funny enough, down here in Birmingham we.
Speaker 3: Have a ninety eight point seven Kids FM two that's been around for a very long time and it's still around to this day and it used to have the Tom Joiner Morning Show on it.
Speaker 2: Yes, listen to Tom Joiner up here till the simulcast but yeah, definitely Tom Joyner on the show up here ninety eight point seven Kiss FM, and I'm just like, oh my gosh, like I don't want to we're gonna listen to at that time again, we'll listen to HIG ninety seven worked there as well. You know, we don't want to listen to Kiss FM. We'll listen to all of the new music that's out right now. And this was like what ninety five, ninety six, ninety seven, So you know, you listen to b IG and we'll listen to one twelve. We'll listen to like the old hip hop and R and B. We won't listen to the old stuff, you know, as kids, we'll listen to what's what's the part of yet, I really you don't want to listen to the old but the old cultures, you like, it gives you a sense of uh, it gives you that that a sense of history, like knowing where your history comes. Because now go and be like listening to that music. I'd rather listen to that of the eighties and what we have of the nineties and early two thousands, because I don't know what sometimes I don't know what we're listening to today. And I'm just like, dang, it's not like my parents. But yeah, that's just the fact, the truth of the matter, Like and so throwing a Luther classic any day, even have a Luther Pandora station because it's just like so timeless period.
Speaker 4: Now, Vaughn, can you place the first time you listen to.
Speaker 3: Him or you know?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so so as far as like the first time I heard him, usually I've heard of in passing because of what not passible. The thing is, like, you know, because because like my parents or the people themselves, they're you know, like you know, in the same age range as as Luther. Anyway, he's like you know, like two or three is older than them. But the point is though over here, like you know, like a lot of stuff that we listen to, you know, how you talk about was it kissing? You know whatever? It is like a time Joiner uh for here in d C, they I've had one or two point three, so a lot of times you know that, like the station will play his music or w h u R ninety six point three. How are University's radio station?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 5: And so and even Donny Simpson like he's on w pg WPGC ninety five point five over here, he'll play a lot a lot of un Luther stuff, and so like growing up, it was like I couldn't tell, you know, like exactly like sometimes what the time period it was. All I know was it was classic. So I found out later on, oh, this is you know, stuff from the eighties, just like Risa. You know, a lot of stuff I was listened to, like especially in the nine five point five. You know, we listen to you know, to you know, to b I G. TUPI, you know these you know stuff like that, you know or you know whatever, you know as far as like our contemporary type of music. But as I got older, like like I learned to appreciate him more. And then even when he came back out like Christmas talking about like well I can't take you out, that was just you know, it's rejuvenation. But but it's it's not a time in my life where I haven't you know, come across a Luther vandrossung House, not at home, never too much superstar stuff like that. So this catalogs piece for.
Speaker 3: Myself absolutely, and what I will say, I think my my musical journey was very backwards in the sense that I was listening to gospel first, before I was listening before I was able to really listen to anything else.
Speaker 4: And I'm happy, you know it was that way.
Speaker 2: But you know, when a lot of people were listening to like the Biggies, India Alias and stuff like that, Like.
Speaker 3: I didn't know who a lot of these people were until later in life. So there's a sense of twistedness that I had in my musical journey where it was gospel and then it was R and B and pop, and then it was rapping hip hop and stuff. So the first time I had heard of Luther Vandross was when I was looking around in my house and my mom had cassette tapes just laying around, and you know, I looked at the pictures of this man and I was just like, Okay, well, you know, this is somebody that my mom really likes, because she had a bunch of cossets. And so around the time I got exposed to Luther Vandross was when Reuben Stuttered was competing on American Idol, and he's from Birmingham originally, and because of that time, you know, everybody was voting for him. You know, we was going real hard for him down here because we wanted him to win.
Speaker 2: And one of the best covers he ever had was a Luther Vandross song, So hearing that and then also hearing the Luther Vandross songs playing on a loop on nine eight point seven because of Ruben singing his songs, that's how I got exposed to him. So I was just like, okay, and so now I'm listening to Superstar, I'm listening to a house is not a home. I'm listening to all these other songs because someone else is singing them. And of course, ultimately Ruben won that second season. Even though a lot of people argue it should have been Clay, we voted it can't be changed. So yeah, at the end of the day, that was my exposure to Luthor was through my mother and through the radio and through Ruben Stutter, so big shout out to them for that and to get more so into the documentary itself.
Speaker 3: This documentary was directed by Don Porter, who was a director that I hadn't really heard of before, but she comes highly respected when it comes to her filmmaking work, and a lot of people were very happy that she made this documentary and it was produced and executive produced by a lot of different people, but one of the main people who was listed as an executive producer was Jamie Fox, who is of course is an OSCAR winning actor, singer, writer, producer, comedian.
Speaker 4: All of the things.
Speaker 3: And he was also in the documentary too, you know, short of sharing his exposure and his journey as a luthor Van Dross admirer as well. So yeah, just looking at the way that it was crafted by both of these people and also the other people who work behind the scenes on it, you could tell that it was made with a level of cultural awareness and a level of love that and authenticity, and I really appreciated that from them.
Speaker 4: Do you guys have anything to add.
Speaker 2: I love the fact that and what you know, when you watch documentary, everybody who knows that said person is in it. Like it's too overpowering with celebrities and superstars. I love the fact that it was only those who everybody matters, but it was only those who were like, like, you had Jamie Fox who expressed like he was a fan, and you know, I didn't know that he had a hand in, you know, being a producer in the documentary, but then he also had somebody like Mariah Carey, who spoke about the first time she performed with him on stage and how he was given all the giving all these accolades, and she was like, Hey, I'm just starting out and I've never performed for somebody or with somebody that big of a stage at that moment, at that time. And then it was mostly like the people that he grew up with, that he knew when he was in the first when he was in his first group Listen Brother, when you know, those those who were closest to him. You had Valerie Simpson in the documentary. I can't think of their name, Carlos. I believe one of the guy's names was Carlos who was in Listen Brother with him. You had those whole It was really short, it was a really small group of people who were in it, but it made it all work and made it tie together because those are the ones who really told Luther's story the best.
Speaker 5: Yeah. And as far as as far as the Jamie Foster connection, you know, it's it's amazing that he has he as saying, tied into this because for those who already know the song Slow James, you know, like the line where it says you know, she says she wants to marveligate some Luther Vandross with the sample of a house not at home. So it's kind of like, you know, full circle moment. And you know, I like how he was helping involved in that told his story about Luther, how they had you know, like Dion warworking there as well, you know, like people people from you know, from Luther's original group, like I guess a friend guy named Phonsie Thornton, neither people like you know who spoke you know, spoke very highly of them and told all these different details about his story. And like even though I like certain stories I heard about, I knew like the Sesame Street thing, you know, like you know, when he first started, and just how instrumental, you know, like he like he was in having the hands in so many different so many different songs. I want to go too far into it, but that's pretty much what it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was so beautiful, you know, seeing the amount of people that they did get.
Speaker 4: But it's like you said, Chris, it was a small circle.
Speaker 3: And I think that in the case of this documentary, less is more because of course over the years that we've in the years since we've seen so many of our legends past. We've seen so many people do documentaries and do interviews about these people who might not have fully known them the way that they thought that they knew them, and they speak on them as if you know that they were like so close, but in actuality that wasn't the most authentic relationship that they were given. And I think that in this case, less being more definitely worked out because this is a man who is bioll intensive purposes, who was so talented, and he had a close knit, you know, set of people because you know, there was so much about him that he just did not want to be revealed to the public, which we will get into later, and also because you know, he was just very private. It seems so the idea that the people that were chosen to be a part of it were a part of it was really great. And just seeing a baby Mariah Carey, like who we know as the Queen of Christmas at this point of our lives, but also forgetting that this woman really has a catalog in and of herself, got her start as you know, a cover singer with the duet of Endless Love. And seeing you know, Jamie Fox with that full Circle moment. Like you said, Vinn Slow Jams is one of my favorite songs ever from a very special place, and it's just and so the idea of seeing all of those people you know who worked in music at Dinny, even his background singers talking about him, you know, and people he sang with at the start of his career be a part of it was really good too. And I did not know the Sesame Street part. There was a lot that I learned from this documentary, and I feel like a great documentary is one that teaches you things that you already knew about one of your favorite people, but it also teaches you things that.
Speaker 6: You might not have known.
Speaker 3: And I did not know that he was from New York. I did not know that he was born in New York.
Speaker 4: I was just like you read. Of course, absolutely, Krista.
Speaker 3: Of course, it wouldn't have been any other way. You know, he was from the Bronx, I think they said, and that's a part of New York I have not visited yet. But you know, just the thing that I love the most in the documentary as well was them sort of expressing what the world or what the US looked like and just how music was sort of evolving in terms of, you know, the different regions and what R and B was sounding like at a certain time. And of course the most dominant force at that point in black music was motown, but then you also had the Philly sound in the mixture of it all as well, and so Luther was finding his voice, you know, as a young child. And they also mentioned him growing up with his family, his mother and his father and his siblings, and how his father, you know, even though he worked a regular job, he was also a singer as well. And I was like, okay, you know now, so you're telling me it's in the blood, okay. So yeah, and him moving through and then growing up and realizing that music was what he wanted to do, and even while he was in college he realized that, no, I really want to sing and pursue this. And his family actually being supportive, his mother being supportive of his music career, you know, that was a very important thing. And his mother spoke lovingly of him even while he was going through his sickness, which we will discuss later, and even after his passing, she spoke very lovingly of his career and was a supportive force for him. And that was very great as well. So hearing how he got started and just knowing that he wanted to go all in immediately was just really great. So christ how did you you know? How did you feel? You know, already knowing he was from New York, but hearing how he got started and how he wanted to go all in on his career.
Speaker 2: Well, being from New York is really I really firmly believe this now, like if you can make it in New York, you can make it anywhere. And Lutho kind of epitomized that because of the fact, like he knew that he wanted to sing, Like he said, he didn't have a plan B, like going to the school and what was it, Kalamazoo, Missouri. It was not for him. And he just knew like he wanted to be a singer. So he went every route that he could possibly go in order to make sure that he was a singer. He went the route of doing jingles, He went the route of singing in the group he was in another group called Luther like he was writing. He did everything he needed to do until and I tweeted about this and I spoke about this on the those wrestling girls side that you had, everybody needs a friend like Roberta Flat because if it wasn't for a Berta Flat Luthor, we would have never known the Luther that we have or that we had because she saw something in him and she was just like, yeah, no, like you're going to sing the song, You're gonna miss it. Be in the front, like you have to stop, you know, making yourself so small, or you know, I see this in you, so now I'm gonna push you. If you have friends like that who can see the best in you, although you know it's there, like you know you have the potential and you're just trying to figure out how to get there, you have a friend who's willing to push you forward, push you there by all means, go for it. And for thank you, Roberta Fleck wherever you may be, for doing that for us, because we knew Lutha had a drive that he wanted to sing. As Bonne said, he was in that group and you know they did the Sesame. They sang a lot of the Sesame straight street songs during the seventies, and it was a shame because even though Lutha was like the main voice one of them I think it was Carlos who said, you can't look at Lutha as the main character in this group. And it was two factors. He was a dark male and he was big. He was a big male. And because if he was dark sing because he was a heavy set man, everybody was just like, Okay, he's the voice, but we could kind of like leave him a jar in the sense like we can leave him in the back in a sense, but we can bring his voice forward. And it stuck because his about his career unfortunately, his weight is really was really in the public eye more so than his voice.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so so so as far as so as far as that's concerned, you know, like it was it was great to see Luther's origins, origin story, you know in terms and also like to say personified that you know that that New York work ethic, that's that you know, that type of attitude like you can make here, make it anywhere, and so like in terms of him, you know, not selling for a plan B. I remember even a Murphy set an interview before in a minute, but as far as Adie had an interview before, like saying that with our senior he was he was saying like, look, you know, I don't know, I don't have a plan. You know, it's just like this, you know or nothing else is so Luca had that, had this, kept that same energy and and and in terms of those two strikes that he had against him, because of that, and it gave it gave him the drive to you know, to to to to supersede, to over to over excel because you know, because because when you have people like that who have you know, have those types of strikes, are like those type of you know, like you know, things that society holds against them. It's like that, it's like that they make up for that, they make up for whatever that is when it comes to their talent, when it comes to the type of stuff that they have when it comes to presentation. So so because of that, you know, like that that came out in Luther's work, and I like how Noli robta Flack, but also David Bowie gave you know, gave Luther a platform and opportunity. So so like in terms of him there you go in terms of him singing a singing background, I knew, I knew about that. That's why I've always had the most respectful David because because the thing is like he gave Luther a platform and even let let him to his own set, like during a tour, because he was like, look, this is what your career, your future is gonna be, so get used to it. So you're gonna you know, you're gonna you know, this is gonna be what you know, who you're gonna be, you know, like move and moving forward and so and like I said, the type of impact that he was having in the background before he became a name in the forefront, Like I said, you know, it just speaks for volumes to to you know, to his to the to the imprint that he has in so many different so many different facets of music.
Speaker 3: Yes, absolutely, And in just mentioning Roberta Fleck and just having her and in the documentary and just talking about how she saw how talented he was and felt like, look, you really need to believe in yourself and put yourself out there, you know, and not just be the background singer. Because in the doc you know, they mentioned how when she wasn't able well, he mentioned in an archival footage that whenever she would do interviews and he and she wasn't able to come to the sound checks for the rehearsals. He was the one who was basically, you know, directing the background singers to do things and the instrumentalists to do their thing, and he would sing the part, like the lead part, and so she would come in and hear him doing this, and she was just like, Okay, well, since you got all this together, then you need to be.
Speaker 4: Do your own thing.
Speaker 3: And essentially, Luther said that she fired him from singing background, but I think it's you know, she was really propelling him forward because she really, like y'all said, she saw greatness within him, and like you said, Von with that work ethic that he had and trying to work past societal disadvantages because let's be real, like being bigger and also being darker skinned as a black person, it's not really a disadvantage. It's just a problem that other people create and put upon you, but really it's not a problem at all. He utilized and he worked so hard with his opportunities that he couldn't be denied. And that's something that I greatly admire in any person, but definitely in him, because he knew his gift, he knew what he had, He had the ear he had the work, ethic and the talent. All he needed was to push and ROBERTA. Flack gave him that push. And Chris said, just to let you know, ROBERTA. Flack is still with us. She is still alive.
Speaker 2: And even though I know, I'm just like wherever she may be like, not in the sense.
Speaker 4: Of like no, I'm sorry, no.
Speaker 2: I'm just like, hey, girl, wherever you have you find out you listen to this?
Speaker 7: Thank you?
Speaker 2: Right, but fun fact about David Bowie. I was in a journalism class, one of my journalism classes in grad school, and it was one of my favorite classes, and my professor was like, yeah, Luke, the vandrois singing background for David bow you know. I'm like, what, Like, I'm like, you're a liar, Kevin. What are you talking about his name is? She was like no, And the only reason I noticed is because he grew up in the same neighborhood as Bruce Springsteen in New Jersey, so he's like a huge Bruce Springsteen fan and you know all of that, And and I remember having that conversations like I didn't know that, So you know, everybody's pulling out their laptops just googling the see what And I think it was because we was reading something based on David Bowie and Luther vanderls or something like that at that time, and that's when it came up. Hey pee, That's when it came up. But yeah, Like, and I love how Duran like when New York kind of like shut him out in the syns in the music industry, or when when it didn't work out for the or the first book that he was a part of just didn't work out and the group Luther was kind of like on the rise in a sense. I love how David Bowie. I love how Nick Jagger was loved the sound that they was. They came because they loved that Philly sound, and that's how you know, David Bowie became. And I remember one day, like watching that, Luther was talking about how he didn't know David Bowie was in the room and he was doing some type of runs or ad libs or something like that, and he heard something that David didn't hear, and it's like he lutheran became like that musical director of the stance of the person who started to like do be the opening act for him because it's just like you have this talent, you hear everything. Like even in the very beginning, this is where that New York grit comes from. When he went to his friend's house and he asked his mother for twenty dollars, twenty five dollars for a pair of shoes, and he said it in Spanish, in the most broken type of Spanish you can ever say it, because you know, Lutha didn't speak Spanish, and the mom, who only spoke Spanish, was just like, get his man's twenty four dollars, so he'd get them shoes for y'all group. So even that hustle's mentality, like it's definitely a New York thing. Sorry, we really can't share it. I don't know. That's just what it is. And it was just amazing to see, like how you had people who was David Boy was huge in the seventies, Mick Jagger rolling Stones huge in the seventies and eighties. Oh Dave was huge in the eighties as well. All of the Paul McCartney, all of those people wanted to work with Luther, wanted to have, wanted to be a part of that Philly sound, wanted to learn and immerse themselves instead of taken over. And I love that. And I feel like Luther was a little bit too sassy to let anybody bully him because when it was he was like, why is your name Luther? Why is the group name after you? Why is the group named Luther? He's so because I write all this thought the producer all those like, you're gonna give you my credit and credits.
Speaker 3: Dude, exactly, I'm him.
Speaker 5: He said, I'm him back in the seventies.
Speaker 2: Him. That's it.
Speaker 3: Yes, literally, anything you want to add, fine, Yeah.
Speaker 5: So so as far as that, it's like you have noteworthy names like like Bowie, the Rolling Stones and stuff like that. It's like when you certain people are just like when you know music, you know this part and even it's out, it's out the window when it comes to that. And if you know if, if you're if, you're really smart about it, right. And so as far as Bowie, I found out like later on after he died that he was actually on an episode Soul Trained back in like the seventies. And also go qut you know litt quick note. The song of Fame was also in in the movie Next Friday. Little side note, but but in terms of in terms of in terms of Luther's determination, in terms of his drive, in terms of his work effort. Like I said, you know that that that definitely came out in full form, and you could you could definitely tell that he was someone you know who would take who would you know, was not gonna take no for an answer, you know what I mean. And so and the thing about it was that like he was like, look, I'm gonna I'm gonna get I'm gonna get my I'm gonna make myself a name. I'm gonna, you know, like I said, be instrumental when it comes to songwriting, when it comes to arrangements, you know what I mean. And to the point where this dude's name was even the credits before he even had his own first solo album. So you to me, so like him singing for like back on for bet Midler and stuff like that. So you know, it's it's like like I said, he was this was his training ground, all this type of stuff that he was doing. All this, all this was was was Luther's training ground to what we would get by the time we get to the eighties. And so this was just all this was training day, all this was preparation for what for what we were getting later. HM.
Speaker 3: Yes, absolutely. And Christa you mentioning that journalism class thing where you just where your teacher said that he was in the same neighborhood as Bruce Springsteen. That reminds me of the time I found I found out that Eddie Kendricks of the Temptations actually didn't live that far.
Speaker 4: For my grandma, I was like, excuse.
Speaker 7: Me, excuse me, love Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 3: Whoa, Yeah, like Eddie Kendrick, Eddie Kendrick, And I believe maybe two other Temptations or are from Birmingham or from Bestsemer, Alabama. And I think Eddie Kendrick lived in the Ansley portion, which is one of our ninety nine neighborhoods.
Speaker 4: And his son.
Speaker 6: Actually went to my parents high school.
Speaker 3: So and we have a park named after him, I believe in another street in downtown I believe named after him as well. So yeah, like when I found out he was from here, I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 4: I was like, you what.
Speaker 6: A sense of like.
Speaker 2: Knowing? Like all right, so you know, Brooklyn, we have Biggie Smalls, we have jay Z. You know, then you got people hip Hop started in the Bronx. It's just like you get a sense, you have a sense of entitlement when you know, like these things or these people like you can't tell me nothing. And they'd be like, oh, everybody from New York always got reminded from New York, they got ready from Brooklyn. Absolutely, I stand on that hill. I'm from Brooklyn. I'm not scared of nobody. I'm not scared of nothing. That we got this, that and the third it wasn't for us you when it had that, Like it gives you a sense of entitlement or a sense of some type of chip on your show with the knowing that you know you had Eddie Kendrick and some of the Temptations, you got Robted Fleck and don't let me talk up start talking about the DC music that's down there, Lady Jesus, like it's it's so legendary. Now if you find somebody who's literally from No Name, Utah, they're gonna yeah, periods Dan watching because never me Like You're gonna sit here and it's like No Name, Utah where the population is fifteen hundred people, and now that fifteen hundred three of them become famous you're gonna ride that waves. You're going to ride that wave. So if I love the fact like we can, I can talk about Luther Vandels being from New York. I can talk about you know, Biggie Small's growing up right downtown. Or I can talk about the places that jay Z has been to because I've driven through these, through them neighborhoods like Marcia Projects and Dog Up and Down Marty like I went to school, Like I can do that and be like, oh, I know what you're talking about. Now for others, if like can you explain this and I'm just listening, I can't help you this too much to explain to know it?
Speaker 4: Actually, yes, I mean.
Speaker 5: So definitely because of ROBERTA. Flack, Like I said before, she's from watching DC. Marvin Gaye was from DC, you know what I mean? So like, can't nobody tell me nothing about that fun fact? As far as New York, there's a guy that go to church with he actually you know, like somehow like he's from New York. He's from Queens. So like somewhere or another he somehow like knows Yellow Guja or something, you know what I mean. So like in terms of in terms of like that six degrees separation type of thing, like you know what I mean. Like in my aspect, can't nobody tell me tell me nothing either, you know what I mean. So so so as far as like when you know what you know, you know what I mean. Kevin Durant's from my area as well, it's just like, hey, you know what I mean, so like it just it builds up that type of confidence, like you know, like, like I said, I have nothing to fear at all whatsoever, you know. So it's just like you know that you take certain stamps where you know who you are and where you know, you know where you're from and what builds your character.
Speaker 3: So mm absolutely nobody can take it away from you. Home is home, and it's home for a reason. So and also speaking of home, finding out that Luther M. Draws wrote brand New Day from the Wiz come on.
Speaker 2: Well, I knew that. I knew that. I don't like first of all, you hear him singing it. See, I am a huge Michael Jackson fan. That's just me and my daddy huge make Jackson fan. Like, so, I always had this running joke like my daddy had a connection with the cable company because every holiday we're either watching The Jackson American Dream or street Walker or like the long versions of Bad and Thriller and stuff like every holiday. So when The Whiz came out, of course I'm going to watch it because Michael Jackson as a scared throw. I don't care how many people say it was whack. I don't know how people say it was horrible. I don't care how many people whatever, y'all not cultured. That's say, go put more seasoning than salt and peper on your food and leave us alone. But then I think I was like watching like a documentary or whatever case and I feel like that. But even he was Luthor was singing in the in the movie, like you heard his voice, Like Luther's voice is so distinct that you just know that it's him. So yeah, I already knew that he wrote that, Like I knew that for a fact. So when I was at the Whitney Museum last weekend with my friends, they have an Alvin Ailey section, like the whole third floor is about Alvin Ailey, and I'm like, yo, I need to go home and watch The Whiz now, because not only do I get to hear Luthor thing brand new day. I get to see these Alvin Ailey performers do their thing, and that damn in that part because who better but us to do it?
Speaker 3: Okay exactly, and A like those dancers even to this day, they eat everything they do. So I've seen them perform in Lord Jesus, They're so amazing, Like I.
Speaker 2: Can't I think I was in person and I went to when I was the undergrad. My undergrad was a few blocks up from the album Ali Dance Institute. Wow. Yeah in the city, yes, And I never went, and I'm just like, damn, like not a low key want to go, but yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like I saw them an undergrad when they went on tour and they came.
Speaker 6: Through Kentucky and I saw them and I was just like, oh my gosh, we have to go see this now.
Speaker 3: And seeing revelations in person it will bring you to tears. So yes, it was amazing. So moving forward with talking about the start of Luther's solo career, we get to his debut album, Never Too Much, And the thing that gagged me was Never too Much. It's just in your bones as a black person, it's in your life. You hear it at every get together. You hear it at every barbecue, you hear it at everything right where black people, every party, whatever. But the idea that this man wrote this song, performed this song, basically composed the song, and this was his first single on his first album. And then you have don't you Know That on the same album too, two songs that eat you up, like excuse me, like your first album told you to do this?
Speaker 2: Like who told me when you went solo to sit here and give a no skip album zero like this, like no one told you to sit here and be in your black greatness as you were to give us Never too much, don't you know? Like when I used to school, still skate hearing never too much of the skating ring on the Saturday child you would, or at a barbecue like I can't go to a barbicane No, and y'all don't play never too much because at the end of the day, I'm leaving because it's not songs that you have to play at a barbecue for to be known as a black barbecue. And never too much for Luther Van Druss is on that list, So so we're gonna do that to us.
Speaker 4: Sir, sir, came out the gates swinging, wasn't playing, don't care that's game.
Speaker 3: And in the documentary Marcus Miller, who performed with Luther for many years, talked about how he had the sound of Never too much in his head and how and just the idea that you know he has, he had this musical sense of hearing the bassline and how I was supposed to be and how it was supposed to be this hard driving thing and how different it was in comparison to what was being played at the time, and it just coming on and then you can see him in the music video, you know, just singing the song and just going super fast and da da.
Speaker 4: Da da da da da da da da da.
Speaker 3: Da da da and him having all this sass and all of this confidence knowing that.
Speaker 4: He's eating us up in this music video. It's just like the most insane thing ever.
Speaker 3: And I remember the moment I realized I deeply loved this song was when it was in Think like a Man. Like, when the song was in Think like a Man and then all of a sudden, all of her was dun dun du du dau, and it hit my soul because I was away from home I was in college and I was in Kentucky, and I was missing the music of Home so much that once I finally watched this movie and that song hit, I was like, Oh, that's when I'm realized I couldn't live without it in my life. So the idea that that's his first.
Speaker 7: Single Jesus debut, and I didn't even know.
Speaker 2: I don't know what I was his first single because it just sounds like although he's been in the music game for so long, it just sounds like something I'll come off of his second album or third album. That's the first single. I never knew that.
Speaker 5: It's all all about making the best first impression. He nailed the over over delivered on that impression. So like when Marcus guitar player was somebody the sound that couldn't get out, I can relate. Like when it comes to even drawing, it's like I did, I got, I gotta put on paper and so so for this to this to be his very first impression, this dude at a home run in the very in the very beginning, even in the video, they're they're in the video, they even escaping, you know, you know, a little a little signing it with that. But and like even when I look at the look at the album cover, right, so I was thinking I had an idea of doing like a design shirt and like and just and like recreating it, having big eat you know with you know, like I pretty much redo that and so so like that that type of thing, and so so a brand new day, right, you know, a little full circle. But yeah, but in terms of that, I mean, if you want to talk about Ko, that album itself, from beginning to end, it is a straight up t K.
Speaker 3: Yes, he had a point to prove, y'all, and he proved it and it.
Speaker 2: Was very successful and in the Black community of course, you know, it was being played and of course still being played to this very day. They even used it in a Google doodle for his seventieth heavenly birthday, and I was so excited, you know, just to see, you know, in the doodle them just showing all the ways in which his music touched different people while they were driving the car or even at get togethers and block parties and everything, and showing illustrations of him on stage.
Speaker 4: It was just such a beautiful tribute.
Speaker 3: Even with that, so the song definitely aged incredibly well and the album Age is incredibly well too, so just the idea that he came out.
Speaker 4: With a point to prove and just everything to give.
Speaker 3: But of course, with a level of fame and a level of drive and a level of music that you're putting out constantly, and with the level of exposure that you're getting, and with all the albums that he met, I put the second one up here because of course this is the album cover Forever for Always for Love. But as you can see, like we mentioned previously, you know, he was darker skinned, and we did mention that he did struggle with his weight a bit. So as he gained more and more success in the black community, there were people who saw that his weight would be up and down and would say sort of un kind things about his way and how he looked, and one of them being Eddie Murphy and his Delirious Comedy Special, which of course you know back then, you know, there was levels of comedy that was acceptable for back then, whereas now if you were to say anything like that, it wouldn't be kosher. But one of the things that people have joked about over the years, even you know, into like into the nineties, you have people joking about Big Luthor and Little Luthor and how there's a difference, but of course if you listen to the music, there was no difference. But you know, let's just but whatever, How did it make you guys feel in the documentary when you heard the struggles that he faced and how he utilized his own sense of humor to rise above it even though.
Speaker 6: It was hard at certain times.
Speaker 2: Well, I was one of those people out of pure probably pure ignorance now and fear like for communic value to be like the big Lutha, that little Luke. Like I was one of them people, just because it's something that I've seen, Like you said, Eddie Murphy's delirious, like they pointed out Cedric entertainers on King the Kings of Comedy. You know, I was one of those people. However, seeing it in the documentary, it kind of hit like, yo, like you can't be a part of the ignorance. Because Luther's voice, though his weight may have went up and down and fluctuated, though people may not have realized, likee me, I didn't realize that he was going through excuse me. He had this obsession with food, He had this unhealthy relationship with food. He was also a diabetic. I didn't realize like that was the cause of it. It was just like, you know, growing up in the nineties, you didn't have money, You didn't really have cell phones and internet and stuff like that to see like, oh, this is what's happening. You didn't really have those conversations either, So to learn like he was really struggling, he used joking as an outlet to combat what he was going through or to mask what he was going through. Set a perspective for me like, yeah, I'm grown now, Like I can have a body fluctuating. I could wake up one day and you know, be really big and people make fun of my weight, you know. So it just had me like damn, Like I had to throw my apology to Luthor though he don't know me, like my bad Luther, Like I would never sit here, like because your music is timeless regardless, like the a mount of Luther Viandro songs I have on my phone right now, timeless, Like the weight shouldn't never mattered, between the weight and his relationship status, or you know, it should have never mattered. It shouldn't matter, like who's producing the greatest music, who's putting out the greatest songs. How Luther's become a household staple, household name, that's what mattered, and that's what that's what we're fans of.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I mean, you know what, to be honest with you, to be honest with y'all, this is one of the parts I've been looking forward to to talk about the most because Luther's clap back game is on one because you know, because the thing about it is that, you know, for one, you know, we all heard the jokes about Big Luther Luther that was like the staple when when it came when it comes to us as far you know, as far as the black community, you know what I mean, like those types of quest signs lo done know that the genesis of it was delirious, right. So anyway, like I said, I like how Luther clapt back on it because you know, because they talked about his concert, you know, how he found out that Eddie's name was on the list. He was like, look, I don't want to let any murkh down. So because of that, you know, obviously it gets this huge prop like this giant giant bucket the KFC, and so then he starts singing the KFC KFC jingle you know to you know, to go along with that. I was like the way he he, you know, turned what was a struggle for him and and and like weaponized in his favor few excuse expression, you know, like like I said that that speaks volumes, and I think it's very ironic. I think it's almost down hilarious that Eddie would make a joke like that. Delirious. But then over a decade later, he does a movie called The Night Professor where his character so I mean, come on, now, you know what I mean, So like, isn't it isn't it funny? How how that how that ends up turn turn around later on? But but yeah, you know, I mean, like you know, as far as that knowing we know now you know, I said, you know, apologies for ignorance, because when you know better, you do better, you know. So so like I said, big ups to uh, you know, to Luther for you know, for heaven a SESSI you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So also Jamie Fox touched on it too. It was just like if Luther would have just said, this is like we're gonna love you regardless, you understand, Luther We're gonna love you regardless. But if you would have just said, oh, yeah, this is what I'm going through, this is what I'm going through, the jokes would have ceased, Like now it's it's gonna it's coming from a real serious side of things instead of a side of just jokes and laughter. Because yeah, and now listen, I wholeheartedly watch Delirious and Raw like I know them them stand up word for word like Verdbatim and yeah when he uh talked about Luther, but Eddie Murphy talks about Luther, he talked about Michael Jackson, he talked about Stevie Wonder, he talked about Teddy Pindigrads, he talks about he talked about everybody. So for for Luthen Andres to have that sense of human it's literally it was literally a defense mechanism. And I want to kind of attribute it to being back from the York because New York, like you can't really have you can't really be soft, like, you gotta have tough skin because somebody's gonna cut your ass every day. Sorry for curse and stuff, somebody's gonna cut you behind every day, like you just that's just how you know, community is out here. That's just how or I don't know what it is with these kids. Now I chend to mind my business, but yeah, that's just how it is. And also Eddie Murphy's from Brooklyn.
Speaker 5: Exactly.
Speaker 2: Eddie Murphy's from Brooklyn.
Speaker 4: So it's just really didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Eddie Murphy's from Brooklyn. Chris Rock is from Brooklyn.
Speaker 4: Wow, yeah, I know Chris Rock was from Brooklyn. I didn't know Eddie Murphy.
Speaker 2: Was Eddie Murphy was from Brownsville, I believe.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Wow, interesting it's a New York connection.
Speaker 2: Okays, like one New York are cutting ass, like your friend cutting your ass, Like that's just what That's just how New York is. Get get like, that's just how it is. Sometimes that you take it or you don't take it. You know, you don't take it. You are the thrown hands like cauld you not go on the bay, so you.
Speaker 5: Cry exactly, you know what I mean. So it's it's just because it's like to the point where after Eddie, now I got like once the other one started doing it. Now it's gotten to the point where it's like, all right, now now you're bullying. Now it's now you're now you're just straight up trolling, like a bunch of Twitter bullian type of stuff, you know, like in these group pages. Now it's gotten to that point, like after the Eddie part. Now right now it's like, you know what a funny nomal So yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: It's funny that you guys mentioned that because of course, you know, I hearing how much of a sense of humor luth I had like that made me happy and knowing that, you know, he was very silly because I'm a very silly person, so I'm just like seeing him be very.
Speaker 6: Silly just made him feel more relatable to me.
Speaker 3: But at the same time, using your sense of humor to laugh through it. It was Deadfinitely. It's definitely a defense mechanism that can work. But I know, as as a person, as a softie, as the softy in the room.
Speaker 4: Hearing stuff like that can hurt.
Speaker 3: And for me, it's just you know, knowing that people were sort of dumbling down on asking about him, even even in interviews, and making rumors about him, you know, saying that if he, you know, gained a lot of weight, then something was wrong, or if he lost a lot of weight, then something was wrong. I feel like in some cases in the black community, I feel like us joking about it. It's like sometimes it can be like disguised as concern, but in actuality it can be unkind because I can't tell you how many times I had heard weird things when I started gaining weight. I was a little smaller around like high school into like my first year of college. But then when I started gaining.
Speaker 4: Weight, I started hearing it from everybody.
Speaker 3: And it's just like bruh, Like I'm not entirely sure if anything is wrong me. I think my metabolism just slowed down whatever, And I love food. But at the end of the day, you know, people's lives are people's lives, and you know we are all human beings, and even though we might take it with a grain of salt and we might laugh back at you or laugh at or laugh with you with the joke, it doesn't take away from the effect of what the words can have.
Speaker 4: Or maybe I'm just a softie. I don't know, but you know you're.
Speaker 2: Absolutely right, like, okay, a little bit of back, so grown up For me, I was always the smallest, slimmest in my family. Everybody had something like the you know, hit some type of body part was more developed than the next or whatever, or it was just like everyone was just you know, I was always the smallest. So for me, I had I was very chest heavy, but I was very skinny, so wearhing like eighty ninety pounds with a heavy chest. It's just like you would get picked on a lot being skinny, Like, hey, you need to gain weight. The amounts and measures that I had to go through for them to try to help me gain some weight was crazy, the most ridiculous thing ever. There was a moment where I did gain weight at one moment, and then they start to be like, oh, that's cause you know, she's doing something that she's not supposed to be doing. That's why she gained weight. And then in the stressing that I had, I remember I blacked out. I was just like this, I'm not doing this, I'm not doing that. And then next year I lost it and I was just like, oh, so, what's the issue was the cause of this up? You know, come to find out I have an overactive thyroid. I was like, oh, so it's like a health concern, but it's not too much of a health le something that's detrimental. Yeah, so instead of assuming ask questions in a way that it's not hurtful. And that's what sometimes people don't understand. It's easier to make a joke and to make to laugh about it when they don't know. And that's that was the problem in Luther's case because later on it when they were just like, yeah, Luther was a diabetic, that's when they I remembered, oh, snap, Luther was a diabetic. Luther did have diabetes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a struggle, a struggle. And then it's not only just a struggle that he dealt with, his entire.
Speaker 4: Family dealt with it.
Speaker 3: Like when you really like look into the family history of it, like that is something that it can be hard to shape. And the idea that he was able to deal with it with however, he was able to deal with it while also still pursuing his music career, you know, just speaks volumes about what he was put on this earth to do. And he didn't, let you know, his body defied him. And I thought that and I thought that was amazing. But I also feel like the way that we talk about celebrities to a degree, even now, when it comes to the choices they make. Well, you know, if their bodies are changing, we don't know what's going on. So I feel like, unless you are in a place to ask him, you should just leave them alone, because you know, these may be celebrities back the end of the day, you know they're human beings as well.
Speaker 4: So yeah, something that I did.
Speaker 3: Want to address in the documentary to change it up a bit, I should have put it in the other order because on his first album he did have the cover of a house It's not a Home, And this was Dion Warwick's song originally, which was something I did not know You're again. I thought I grew up thinking this was his song, And so to find out that this was his way of paying tribute to someone that he deeply admired as a singer in Dion Warwick, was just absolutely amazing. And of course she comes from a real family of singers as well, but just the idea of him performing this song for her and her being in the documentary and being able to talk about it was just like absolutely amazing. And of course, at any random point in time, you can be on TikTok and then all of a sudden you'll see him and this performance from the NAACP Image Awards of him singing A House is not a Home live and he's just standing there in the suit, just singing.
Speaker 2: And that's it.
Speaker 3: And Dion is happy. They keep putting the camera on her. She's almost in tears or in tears because she's just so honored. And in the documentary she stated, look, this is the definitive cover of this song and you can have it.
Speaker 4: Who else?
Speaker 2: Nobody? Right, But you know it's crazy. I did not know that this was a cover. And I did not know that Superstar was a cover.
Speaker 5: Oh man, yeah right, Like hold on what Because.
Speaker 2: I love the music of the old because people will take it and make it their own. And you know, lately, I've been saying, I just love how black people. Black people put seasoning on everything song included. Because Louke ain't have to do what he did on Superstar. I ain't have to do that. Whitney Houston. We're not even gonna talk about the Queen of remakes over there, Whitney Houston. I will always love you higher love. I forget the other ones. Oh I'm every woman. It's just like when you this is why I'm like, I see why they mad, they're not us. I see why they're mad. But that was like a mind blowing thing to me, like, not, what did you only do one? But you did two covers and you made it your own to and it sounded like they were your songs, especially yeah and yeah.
Speaker 3: And he has an album actually called Songs, which are him doing just straight.
Speaker 4: Covers of other people's songs. It didn't get it didn't.
Speaker 3: Get a lot of attention as far as I was able to see in terms of research. But I do know he made one. Uh, he made a cover of love the one You're With.
Speaker 6: And it sounded like a gospel song, and that.
Speaker 3: Was featured in the documentary as well. Because he performed live with a choir, and because I'm a choir junkie because I was in choir growing up, I was just like, I don't.
Speaker 4: Exactly.
Speaker 3: So it's just like the idea that he could just take people's songs and just make it a whole lot more and add.
Speaker 6: Extra seasoning to it, like you said, Krista.
Speaker 3: Like he was really good at it, and just the idea that you can add extra seasoning to a song that already had seasoning on it, like Dion is seasoning, but then you and your seasoning and it's just like yummy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Luther was like the trinity to that song. He was like the bell, pepper, the onions, the all of that.
Speaker 6: He was.
Speaker 2: He was the extra today.
Speaker 5: Tell me about it because you know, because the thing is for her to pass it towards him and say that that was that was like his version was definitive. Spoke volumes also Anyone who had a Heart. That was another Dion cover. And now when they went into detail about Superstar, you know, I mean that was the cover from from the Carpenters, like my dad, you know about that. And so the thing with Theirs is that Theirs was you know, it was more sped up version Superstar, and whereas with Luther he slows it down because it's all about the anticipation, you know what I mean, and so like and throughout that song it's you know, it's nothing, but like you know, certain peaks and moments I'm like, you know, I mean like that, like out of all Luther songs, that's my that's my all time favorite. And also he even did a cover of a Stevie Wonder song. There was a song called Creeping that it was on nineteen five that. Come to find out, I to find out un till later that was a Stevie song from like the seventies, and so he so he did his own version. So the thing is, Luther, when you talk about somebode who's the king of covers, he was. He was definitely that guy, you know what I mean? So Superstar is my definitive go to, like the way that Billy genis from Michael Jackson and when Doves cried for Prince Superstars like that for me when it comes to Luther.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's definitely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, go ahead, Chris No, I was gonna say, I definitely agree. I think what drawn me more to Superstar funny, funny but not funny. I think it's coincidental, and I don't know how if they matched it that way. But the woman of the Carpenters, I forget her name. She also had to eat in disorder. She passed away from anarexia. Ar Carpenter, Karen Carpenter. She passed away from anorexia. So if you've seen that clip on how skinny she was, she was fighting anorexia the entire time. So you have a person who's fighting this unhealthy relationship with food, and then you have this person who is fighting this unhealthy relationship without food.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: So to see that, I don't know, like in my mind it paralleled, but I just had to make that connection. Also Superstar, I feel like I was more drawn into Superstars. Like I said, I have the Pandora radio station. There was a live segment of Superstar when he was performed at Madison Square Garden and he just lets the piano have their solo, the pianists have her solo spot and mind you, that performs probably about between eight to twelve minutes long already. And when I heard that pianist and how he was just doing ad libs, It's just like Lutha Light, why couldn't we got married yesterday? Like it was just like the most amazing thing. Like his voice is just so timeless. Like I feel like, moving forward, I need to see documentaries like that. Like it touched on everything, and the undertone of the whole thing was the weight, was his weight and his relationship status. But it still touched on the success of Luther Vandels And it was a sad part of it of course, where he said that any love was like his anthem because that's what he wanted. He never had love, he never could experience love. And my heart broke for this system. And it was just like I hate that song now because he wasn't just looking for love, he was looking for any love just because he wanted to experience.
Speaker 4: It was and that was a sad part.
Speaker 3: And going back to Vond's point about and you guys's point about the covers, like I'll never forget the first time I heard Stevie Wonder's version of Creeping, I was just like, why are you singing Lutha's song?
Speaker 4: Because I heard Luther's version first.
Speaker 3: Here're getting backwards, but either way, I was just like I heard Luther's version first, but then when I heard Stevie's version, I was like okay. And then the fact that Luther's same background for Stevie Wonder's song part time Lover, like it's almost like a it's not a duet, but then it kind of is one because you can clearly hear Luther da da da da da da da da, and.
Speaker 4: Then Stevie comes in with his part and I'm just like, this.
Speaker 6: Is just nuts.
Speaker 3: So much talent, just too much talent. Oh god, it's so much. But yeah, in getting to any love like that part really got to me because that's a song that I love to listen to that I get excited about because it's somewhat upbeat but still very much kind of slow. And you know, I like the song too, because to a degree, I was just like, I thought, maybe it was just him just having hope for the idea.
Speaker 6: That maybe I can have this type of love.
Speaker 3: But then when they showed the version of him performing it live and the way that other people were talking about it, I was just like, oh, so, this isn't that type of vibe at all. I've been listening to it with. I felt like I was listening to it with the wrong vibe for so very long because I was just like, WHOA, So he was longing for something that he felt like he couldn't have or just never got to have in certain aspects of his life. And it's really that part really did make me kind of just sit down for a second and just think about, you know, the differences in how life was then for people, and it was just like, man, like that is just so sad, Like I wish that.
Speaker 4: It could have been different for him.
Speaker 3: I really do, because for someone to sing so beautifully about love, for someone to have all of these songs that people use in weddings and sing for their significant others and put in and then for people to use his music, sample his music, put it in rap songs that give off love, you know, within that, only for him to not have that romantic love.
Speaker 6: It's just like, wow, it's really saying.
Speaker 2: It's a sad thing, and I feel like everybody should experience love. Like it's crazy. We're talking about this because I just shared a story from BLS's on the website now that my coworker le I just shared it on social how Pague la Belle was disappointed about her portrayal and the documentary. But I'm just like, you were the main one speaking about Luth Evangel's sexuality. You were the main one who came on and was like, yeah, Luther was gay, Luther wanted this, he couldn't have that, and this, that and that. We spoke about it, and I get that that's your friend and you want him. You won it. I don't know what the reasoning or the purpose was behind it now like since he's passed, but you can't really be upset at something that you've said on TV or multiple times before, like you you said it on Andy Cohen sitting in between Sam Smith and Andy Cohen, like how are you how are you upset at the fact, like when I talked about his sexuality, Like how did you think you were not going to come up when you were the main You're the main one. Don't get me wrong. I love anti Patty, love anti Patty seeing how essence that's amazing. But you're a celebrity like you have. These are recorded. Things will come back, so you know, bite you in the faith sometimes unfortunately whether and I know you didn't mean no mouths and no ill will or no bad intention behind it, but you still said it. You still talked about his sexuality. Maybe that's something that he wanted you to take to the grave with you when it's time, when it's your time to go, you know, but for you to just kind of out him although he's not here in the in the present and the physical, it should it just shouldn't have been said.
Speaker 5: Absolutely not certain certain things you just like you said, just carries to the great buds. As much as I love Hey La Belle, she's an icon and everything like that, But the thing is you know, I realized words are weapons definite life from the power of the time. And so the thing is, you know, every word that you know, like type of word that you speak, is going to be recorded and so and the thing is for somebody to sit to sit there. She was super comfortable, you know, you know, being on a Andy Cohen show like that, you know, to to you know, to say that. And this is because this is for you know what I mean, and being because a lot a lot of times people say things by somebody that's not hear that they would never say in their face or in their presence, but while they're still around, you know what I mean. So like, you know, like if Luther was still here, I'm not speaking for him, of the thing is, if he was still here, especially with the age of the Internet, I seriously doubt that Patty would keep the same energy that she had, you know, with you know, with with with with with those interviews. So it's just like, you know, you put those words out there, and so when they come back like a boomerang, you can't be you know, dumbfounded, like you're surprised by it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I remember when I first heard her say it. I was just like, huh, Like I was just like, why why would you bring that up now when he can't speak on it himself. I literally feel like whenever you speak on something the which is why I feel like documentaries like this and interviews where people are speaking on celebrities who are no longer here, it's like they draw like it's like you walk a fine line because of course you want to be you know, you want to speak about the comfort that you had with this person, but at the same time, you also have to know where to stop, and you have to know where the boundaries are. And in that moment, as much as I love Patti LaBelle, love her down like that wasn't her place to say that, Like as far as like nobody in the circle, in the friendship circle ever truly said anything about his sexuality, like people had wondered about it for years, But even he said in the in the documentary, in the past interview, that is none of y'all damn business. And honestly, it should have just ended that forgive me. But you know, either way, it should have just ended there. Because when somebody says it's none of your business, it's none of your business.
Speaker 4: And you just got to live with that.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I remember hearing from my parents that whenever he would come for concerts, girls would scream over him, you know, and love his voice because you know, he would sing about love and give off the impression he was singing tense to them as an entertainer.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: But either way, you know, regardless, that should have been what truly mattered, even and I feel like he should have had control over that. And if he's not here to have control over that, then don't talk about it. It's not your place, too. And I just really wish that he lived in a time where he felt like he could have his success and truly be who he was. And I can't help but think about the parallel of his story along also with Whitney Houston's too to a degree, because there was a level of success that both of these people reached, but did not necessarily have a love that was healthy for them, or a love at all that was truly authentic to who they were.
Speaker 4: And it's just so sad.
Speaker 3: Now, of course now it's a little bit different, but at the same time, I really wish that they could have freely been who they were, because there's a part of me that hopes that maybe that could have I guess for me in a selfish way, like maybe that could have kept them here to a degree.
Speaker 4: But I don't know. I'm not in charge of that. But either way, you know, I wish.
Speaker 3: That they had felt okay enough and loved enough to truly be who they authentically were. But I know they have that freedom now wherever they are, so in speaking of that, another thing that I couldn't believe.
Speaker 4: Was how long it took him to win a Grammy.
Speaker 3: It was so funny that even in one of his live shows, his document his background singer saying it's about time, I was just like, that is so hilarious, but so sad, like the Grammys. But what's so funny is is that when they kept showing every time he was nominated for a Grammy.
Speaker 4: It didn't win.
Speaker 3: It was like the categories he were in were always so stacked with talents like Terrence Trent Darby, even though I know he doesn't go by that name anymore, or like James Brown, or like Stevie Wonder. So it was always heavy hitters back there. But the idea that it took Luther such a long time to even get one, maybe even two Grammys is just it just nuts to even think about. So how did you guys feel when y'all found out like it took him so long to get one?
Speaker 2: At this point, we're squaring up because why he had been nominated nine times and he went on the tenth time. What because while we at this point we squaring up because do y'all not know that this is Lutha, F and vandros Like I'm so confused, Like to this day, I'm surprised that Diana Ross has never won a Grammy ever, Dana Russ has no Grammys to her name. Very surprised. So for Lutha to be overlooked nine times out of ten, that's that was the most craziest thing to me. Craziest thing to me. And then when he won his I think the Grammy that he won four again was I think when he was working with Richard Markus shout out to Richard Marx because Penn game crazy, yes, and he couldn't even really enjoy it because that's when he had his stroke. Not saying that that was like the first Grammy that he won, because like you said, this was one of these were the first two but that last one that he won, he couldn't even enjoy it because he was recovering from a stroke. Like I don't understand what the Music Academy was about then. I mean someone still don't understand it now. But that's another conversation for another day.
Speaker 4: Hmm.
Speaker 5: What they were talking about this, because yeah, see, for him to get nominated and for them to play in his face nine times like that, now only are we throwing hands with remembers, uh, throwing feet as well, because you know what I mean, SMI's side thirteen's to whoever was in you know, whoever was in charge of the voting committee. Because the thing is, of course, I'm glad he finally got that remy from here now. But if you look at some of his best, absolute best years, we're in the eighties, in the same time frame as Michael's Thriller, Princess Peple Rain, Bruce Springsteen, Madonna, it's just like, you know, I know, the I know the table was super different stack, but for for him to be overlooked that many times, you know, which was it was just like, I mean, come on now, like that, like it ain't ain't ain't no way I get it. It taler Pool was deep, but come on, it had to be a certain point like in even like in like where that Superstar the album Superstar was on whatever, at least he could have got, you know, gotten an R and B album for that. Let Michael have the pop album for for thrillering and all that type of stuff. But at least let Luther get get get something for one of those, you know what I mean. So it's just like like I said, you know, and the Dinah Ross thing, I was very surprised to see me hear that. But yeah, like like I said, for him to finally get it, but come on now like this, that and and the thing is for Luther to still not be in the Hall of Fame yet, it is mind blowing. So hopefully this documentary will be a vehicle for you know, for for that, for that to come to come to play.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he has a star. He's not in a rock and roll Hall of Fame.
Speaker 4: No, not yet, I don't think so.
Speaker 5: Not yet. So he's got the Hollywood Walker Fame star. But in terms of the rock roll Hall of Fame, no, not yet, not yet. That's like I said, that's another thing about the not the non Brandy Snubs and stuff like that. So you know, like like, hopefully this this will be a vehicle, like some of the documentaries will be for other people like to go in you know, hopefully this would be a vehicle for that. But I'm just saying like, still, yeah, that's that's red fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah. It's insane how some of these institutions, you know, take such a long time to give black artists their things, because oh my gosh, I'll never forget when Whitney passed. I actually found so many Facebook pages that were sharing stuff about her because I was in deep sadness off of that. And I remember finding one Facebook page in particular that was called induct Whitney Houston into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and it was active for many years until she finally was so the idea that it was active, that page was active for about maybe I want to say, at least seven six to eight years after she had passed, pushing for her to get inducted. And when she was finally inducted, that was when, you know, they you know, just unplugged the page and just the idea that there are so many artists that are just put in a box in terms of the genres and not honored the way they deserve to be. It's like Beyonce really hit on something when she said when she had Linda Martell, Saint genres are a funny little concept, aren't they. I always go back to cowboy Carter. That's just like my new boy.
Speaker 2: Carter is a two no, But you're right, like one, I didn't know that Ludu was inducted into the National Blues, Rhythm and Blues Hall of Fame in twenty twenty one. But for you not, not for them not to induct him and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame after all of the jingles, after all the songs that he's written, after all the people that he's been a part of, after all rock and roll celebrities he's been ad libbing the thing and back round singers.
Speaker 3: For Like, why did it take so long for him to getting the R and B one? It's my question because twenty twenty one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, forty years artist.
Speaker 2: Well you have to remember, yeah, like his album Technically Speak and it wasn't that long ago, but it was that long ago. If your first album's coming out in the mid eighties, mid eighties, like it may seem like a long time. But literally, I'm born in you born and I'm born in ninety I understand, Like, right, I was born in ninety three, Okay, so that's thirty well, thirty five, thirty six, and thirty three, thirty two or thirty one. Yeah, Like that's not that long ago, so I can understand, like why it kind of took a little while saying I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: Sorry, thank you for saying it, because I can't tell you.
Speaker 6: Oh Jesus, I'm.
Speaker 2: Sorry, But it's not it's not that long ago when it comes down to to thing like it may seem like I could see if Luthevangel's first album came out in nineteen fifty eight, during the time where Sevnation was a really really heavy thing and they wasn't even trying to hold black music to a higher regardings like they have now, and it took him that long to be inducted in an Blues and Rhythm and Blues Hall of Fame into twenty twenty one, I could see it. But really, nice, eighty five, it's really not that long ago. Every one still eighty not.
Speaker 6: That wrong ago. Yeah, and you're right, Chris, thank you're welcome.
Speaker 2: I had to put them perspective.
Speaker 4: That's right, right.
Speaker 5: And one more thing, one last thing also because the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame their criteria, because because the thing is, I keep tabs on this stuff, you know, because you know, because I'm you know, like one of the people you know does the fan boats, right, So like usually maybe you know, send me emails as far as like you know, as far as stuff you know, like you know, the list to vote for and things like that, right, and so you know, got kept tabs on like when ll finally got in, like when Whitney finally got in. Right, Their criteria is at least twenty five years since your very first album for the for you, the first for the first time to be eligible, right, And so I kept tabs with his first album for your album nineteen eighty one whole time yet to be even on the boubt, right, And so like that, you know, like I said, so that right there, and Whitney criterion wise, really really she should have gone like in twenty ten, twenty eleven, you know, because her album came a come out in eighty five. So you know, so like when it comes to you know, the people that are you know behind behind these you know, boardrooms and stuff like that. That's just you know what I mean like that, that's just us mind blowing, you know, like to you know, to to realize that so you know, you do better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is mind blowing. But you know, at least he finally did get in. And what's so funny is there was that cute moment's background singers to have. And something that I did appreciate was seeing footage of his live shows because you know, sadly I did not. I was never able to attend the Luther show. But my mom, shout out to her, was able to attend two of them, one by herself and one was my dad, and she just always you know, parents, Oh please, if I could sit here and tell you all of the people that they have seen.
Speaker 2: Told me that she saw the Jackson's perform one year and her favorite one is, uh was it Jackie Jackie or Jumaine? It wasn't Michael. I said, excuse me, ma'am, what but neither here?
Speaker 3: Like, if I could just sit here and tell you the list of people that my parents have seen, like you you would it would just make you want to just just cry.
Speaker 4: But yeah, like my mom saw too.
Speaker 2: Don't get me wrong, I've been to a lot of concerts. I've probably seen them too. Who would not hear them? I never saw, never saw Michael, never saw Lutha, never seen Did I see Whitney, Never seen Whitney, I've seen. I feel like I want to say asking the temptations, I feel like I want to say that, oh wow, cool, who knows? Okay, we continue, I'm sorry, but yeah, like, you know, just hearing how they felt, you know, at his shows everything, So seeing the shows pop up at in the documentary and just seeing how intricate he was with their rehearsals and how one of them, one of the musicians, said, you.
Speaker 3: Know, you were happy to come to work because you knew he was going to crack that whip, but you knew he did it out of excellence. And I appreciated that. And even when they went to London and he had the background singers dress up in those beautiful sparkly green dresses. You know, like he was just very intricate and very thoughtful about his performances, you know, in a way that was very unique for the time, and it makes you think, you know about the people who we see perform to higher standards even now, and it makes you very appreciative of Luther and what he did for back then for live shows and just how he reached for excellence in his live shows. So I really loved that. So that was a really cool part to hear about and to put together in my own life, just hearing my parents about him finally visually singing it. And then I found a clip on Twitter that somebody posted of an audio from his final concert where he was singing a verse of Missy Elliott's work it, and it was the funniest thing I ever heard, and he called the song a masterpiece, and I was cackling on the phone. Do you hear me cackling? So I do recommend for those who are watching this, if you have not found that clip, please go find it. It will make your day and it will make you laugh and cackle because hearing Luther Vandross sing Missy Elliott's work it, it's just like bro It's nuts. And it also makes me wish that he had more time with people of the newer generation because could you imagine the amount of music this man would have made with more artists.
Speaker 2: And come out aside from Luther Vandros singing Missy Elliot's working and being a part of that. You know Luther was a wrestling.
Speaker 7: Fan, Yes, yes, yes, Luther was me.
Speaker 2: Oh, smack guns on, you gotta stop this. I used to stop everything a nineties kick, growing from the nineties outside playing with your friends in the summertime. I'd be like, oh, it's nine o'clock, I gotta go Monday night, ro is coming on. I see how tomorrow or I see you when I get back when I'm done. Like, and I didn't know that he was such a wrestling fan. I imagine Luther n w W like, hey, hey, Randy, imagine him in w W. E like imagining him sing just singing, lift every voice because we ain't gonna do the national anthem. Let him sing lift every voice. Let him sing an entrance song.
Speaker 4: What oh my gosh. Now you know he would have been.
Speaker 2: Him singing somebody entrance music, like he could really revent Bianca. But as I'm on my own, you know, he could.
Speaker 4: Have been on. He could have been on the New Day track.
Speaker 2: Yep, right, oh yeah, the way I would have literally been praising or something because LUSA and thinking themes he could have been the new because he's so good at jingles. He could have been the new CFC. What was the CFC band? Who was doing the songs or.
Speaker 4: Death?
Speaker 2: Probably we would have had We would have had bops, okay, bops, endless bops, endless bops, like it's no changing, like who want to change from Luth Evangel's song theme.
Speaker 5: Song like this. Dude even talked about even ordering Wrestleman. Can you imagine if Luther had sung it like Wrestmen three, Arrestmen four, something like that, like come on.
Speaker 3: Now, okay, Like I'm sad because they gotta read the Franklin this thing for them?
Speaker 4: How did you miss Luthor doing America the Beautiful? Like that would have ate Chris.
Speaker 2: But and just and just gave me chills because I don't know what them ads that have been hitting for. He would have been on a riff, a good three minute rip and America Beautiful.
Speaker 3: And then on top of that he and then on top of that, he would have been in the audience last night.
Speaker 4: Y'all know he would have been there last night for sure. He would have been sat.
Speaker 2: If everybody last night, I would have literally threw the TV across the wall. If I would have sawte just to the nine, Okay, I would have child wouldn't rock and Luther would have had a shot.
Speaker 4: Is just thinking.
Speaker 2: I would have been in tears, tears, ugly cry, who's snap from nothing, nose everything like unhinged, unhinged.
Speaker 8: Behavior, unhinged. Yeah, lu in Vegas, come on now, I need.
Speaker 4: To go because you're not doing this right now.
Speaker 2: We're not gonna stay handy this.
Speaker 4: Look, we have so much to still come back and say time.
Speaker 3: I understand the excitement, but you know, even in the industry, like he would have been amazing on the song with Victoria Money because they both have, you know, the same type of meticulous hearing with her as a producer and a songwriter.
Speaker 4: That would have been an amazing deal.
Speaker 3: And even if he had the chance to work with Beyonce a whole lot more like he did a song a duet with her at the beginning of her solo career. Could I imagine I could you imagine how much more they could have done together had he lived Lord crazy?
Speaker 2: You know, he would have been on this cowboy car all right, you know, he would have been on Renaissance somewhere.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, oh yes, him on Renaissance would have ate all the way down a house boots down.
Speaker 2: If if you know the rumors and stuff were true about sexuality. Ohole m Renaissance album. I feel like he could have did a remixed Church Girl.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, that would have been spelt. But yes, you know, it's just like you know, like the like, the thing is, he created such a for so many people, you know what I mean. It's it's just it's just like you want to talk about what if you want to talk about a huge what if? When? When when it comes to Luther Vandross in terms in terms of music wise, in terms of today's landscape, Oh my, Like, And the thing is, like I know Usher had a song on Professions called Superstar. It's like every time I every time I see that that title, the first thing I think about is Luther Usher did a did a nice version of his own, but nobody touches that ninety eight three Superstars.
Speaker 3: It's so funny, Like if they hit mashed that together, I just, oh god, I would have just wept because it's just Superstar. Superstar is like one of my favorite Usher songs of all time. Like if you play that song like I am just like if anybody like, oh my god, if my boyfriend played that song before he proposed to me, I'm passing out.
Speaker 4: Hints. But either way, like.
Speaker 2: When you hear that hints.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, but you know, it's just just thinking about that. It's just really lit. But then they also end the documentary discussed his jump from Arista Records to J Records, which at the time during the two thousands, hip hop was becoming more of its own thing, and R and B was sort of it was almost they were making it seem like if you didn't necessarily combined with hip hop, then you didn't sssarily transition as well to the charts during this time, so Luther was looking to sort of branch out more as an artist, so he moved to Jay Records. That was all by Clive Davis, who was the famous manager of Whitney Houston and also Alicia Keys at the beginning of her career, and Ruben was also on this record label as well when he won American Idol too, and that was how I found out about them. So in the midst of him signing with Jay Records, he made the self titled album Luther Vandross and when I say this is like one of my favorite album covers ever, it just is like you got the blue background, you got the palm trees. He looked like he is ready to just have a great adult life.
Speaker 4: In this picture.
Speaker 3: And it had taken Me Out, well take You Out, which is just an iconic R and B song of the two thousand. It also had can Heaven Wait. It also had I'd Rather, which is one of my deep, deep cut favorite Lutheran Draws songs like he came out here ready to slay the two thousands with this album and it and here again it age as well. You can listen to it now and it sounds very very current in terms of, you know, dealing with relationships in life and longing for love and asking people out.
Speaker 4: And I'll never.
Speaker 3: Forget in his music video for Take You Out, it was Garcel Boufa, just to bring it back to the Jamie Fox connection. And for a minute, you know, growing up, I thought maybe they was going out for real and.
Speaker 7: I was like yeah, but you know, I know.
Speaker 2: It was like BT when we have music videos watching on BT Washington BT or is it the one to come on at midnight? I can't remember now, but Midnight Soul, No Midnight Love, Midnight sound like it was Midnight Love, and then Park and dropping the video off.
Speaker 3: And Park a j and Free.
Speaker 5: Exactly you know what I mean. So I mean, yeah, you know like that that was definitely a revival of his career and and and the funny thing about it was that, you know, even early on Luther on the other end, Luther was known for, you know, for reviving other people's careers, like he did with Franklin, you know what I mean. So, like as far as as far as that, so so here it is like a full circle, full circle moment where he's where he's having his own sort of excuse me expression ring renaissance if you will, resurgence rather, you know what I mean. So so so as far as that, I mean, this was definitely you know, much need It was a preview of what we could have had further down the line. So we talk about what Luther you know, could have been now that that album would have been like the beginning point, you know of what we could have sing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, like this album was so good and just the fact that he was, you know, being more modern, even to the point to where even Jay Z Excuse Me had a song called excuse Me, miss Rush himself of him singing whisper singing the song or whatever and asking a lady out or whatever, like talking about how.
Speaker 4: He got two dishwashers. That's like the funniest song to me.
Speaker 3: The funniest part of the song to me, like I got two dishwashers. Okay, what does that have to do with me? But I mean, I guess it's impressive depending on who you are. But but just having that and then having Pharrell, you know, produced produced that song as well, who was a great in and of himself as well in music like It's just Luther's start in the two thousands was pretty lit with that album, and just for me, I felt like, you know, it was very current for me for where I was as an R and B listener because in the two thousands that's where I became more exposed to R and B and more hip hop as well. So it was just a nice little time for me growing up and learning what that was. Because here again I'm late, so.
Speaker 2: It was behind me four years. Bahama, bah You're not that far.
Speaker 3: You're still there, You're right, but you know, just all of that, it was just really beautiful to see where he was going. But in the midst of him trying to create his second album, which was Dance with My Father, he was up and down with his weight again, and his friends were talking about that in the documentary as well. And in the midst of all the stress that he was dealing with with trying to finish the album on time and trying to play and shows and all of the above and promote what he could have been doing.
Speaker 4: He got sick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he suffered his stroke, and it was very devastating to hear. I know, like I remember when it happened.
Speaker 6: It was all over the news.
Speaker 3: You couldn't really like escape it at that point, and a lot of people were very worried about, you know, what could have happened to him in that regard. But of course they addressed in the documentary that he was rehabbing and trying to come back, even though there was levels of himself that wasn't the same in terms of speech or in terms of other things. But they did say that he was able to still understand people and hear them speak, and also still understand music to a degree as well. So he rehabbed for a number of months, and in the midst of him rehabbing, his album Dance with My Father was released, and this album wound up being his final one, but it had a number of great hits on it, like think About You, which was written by Alicia Keys, and he had Lovely Day on there, and then he also had the song Dance with My Father. And in the documentary they talked about for the first time what his creative process was behind writing this song and knowing that and just telling the story of his life and how much he loved his dad and how much he just enjoyed the relationship he had with him, even though it was cut short because his father passed when he was eight years old. And just if you have ever heard the song, it is very, very heart wrenching and it's very real. And then in the music video, since he couldn't be in it due to his condition, he had people and other celebrities and family members dancing with their fathers in the video, because even Beyonce was in it dancing with Matthew. So this was probably the most one of the most authentic songs he had ever written. And his mama said in an interview and said that I didn't even know he remembered any of that stuff, but the idea that it was put in this song, like she just cherished it, and even hearing it now, it just makes you think about people who are close to you that you might miss on another plane. So this gained a lot of acclaim and a lot of fame during the time of which he was rehabbing, and of course it did wind up winning him another grand I mean that we did mention that was accepted by Richard Marx, who wrote the song with him, and he accepted it. But then Luther had a video where he talked about how he wished he could be with them to accept the award, but he said, you know, when we say goodbye, it's never for long.
Speaker 6: Because I believe in the power of love.
Speaker 3: And he sang that part and my dad got excited at that part because he was just like, oh, this's mean he on his way back.
Speaker 4: But you know, either.
Speaker 3: Way, this was an iconic body of work. So Christa and Vonn, how did you guys feel the first time you heard Dance with my Father?
Speaker 2: For me, I loved the song, but it, like you said, it was also a sad time because it was really around the time where he had his stroke, so you he wasn't in the video. So they had all of these people who were who love of Luther, who had their dads, and then Beyonce and her father was in it. You had Grace and then Garcel Sorry, and then you had all these celebrities and they're like just reminiscing about their dads and sharing photos if their dads, if their dads was no longer around. It hit a little bit different as I grew older, like as I lost my father, Like I never danced with mine, but I get the sentiment behind it and to touch on like the when Richard Marx accepted the Grammy, there was an interview that he did with that Luther did with Oprah and when he was just like, I'm just living in this this new phase, knowing that this is the end, Like he knew that he was not going to recover from this and for dance with my father to come out and he wanted that solely his for him and his mom. It was like damn, It's like dam are you giving up? Or you just solely know like this is it, Like you solely know that you have to go on to the other side for this song to be that number, this song on this album to be to get that that pop crossover that you was looking for for the the longest while. So it's kind of aerie in a sense, just like Sam's Cook a change Gonna come. Bobby Womeck said, Yo, this is an aerie song, Like what do you like? What's going on is so eerie? And then a few days later Sam Cook ends up being murdered in a hotel. Like I feel like a lot of these celebrities have premonitions and they know when their time is coming up, so they need to put out something that's going to leave that staple behind. And Dance with My Father is definitely one of those staples for Luther Vandros for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So it's crazy that Stephanie happens to be talking, you know, like this this PROTECT podcast talking about Dance with My Father because I'm you know, Simon Tamsen watching nx T and there's a segment with with the rock and Eva watching absolutely right and and and I think about it, is you know, very funny how how that how that plays out right? And so and the thing the thing is, when it comes to Dance with My father, Like you know, my dad and I always had the tightest relationship. I mean I'm named after you know. First of first off, like you I remember when I was a kid, like my elementary school they even had like this, you know, like a like father son breakfast before you know, I mean, so that type of thing. So those those type of those type of you know, memories and relationship I have still have with them to this day and always right, so that so that you know, is always you know, that song is always always going to hit you know, differently with me. And it's great to see the video. They even had Damon Wayanams you know, you know in the video with his kids, right, and so everybody that you know that that was the type of Luther and Beyonce and and everybody like that. But the thing is when it came to when it came to the song, no, you know now it's just like it's a bitter sweet type of bitter sweet type of thing. And also like just to see you know, like when we realize, like they said the documentary, this is where Luther planet is with like planet is flag and so and and and then just you know, because because apparently like he knew like, look, you know this ain't gonna be flong, just like when Michael did Michael did this is it like you could, like you already tell the title of it spoke for himself like he knew like this was gonna be the end. This it's gonna be my you know, my small song. And so when it came, when it came to that, you know, like you know, for Luther, like you apparently he knew, you know, like like this the hourglast is running out, and so like like I said, it was, it's great. It's one. It's great to hear, but sometimes like looking back, it's kind of like hard too, knowing that this is the finality, like you know, I mean, you know, like I said, it just hits differently.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it definitely does hit differently.
Speaker 3: And my condolences to you, Krista, and.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 3: Yes absolutely, like because I have watched people close to me have to deal with that type of loss and it is one of the hardest things ever and I am. And the thing with me and my dad, like we watch me and my dad. Our thing was that we watched wrestling together because he was the one who got me into it, and me and my dad is like, even though we're different, because we just we just have different personalities. I just feel like I love my parents so much, like it's always been a and also my sister as well, like it's always been us. So the idea of going through that type of loss, it's just like I just can't even imagine it. So I just try to cherish as much time, you know, as possible, because you just never know. And you know, but the thing that always stays with me is that you know that that love is always there and it always connects you. And clearly when it came to Luther, he was writing that song and he created this album from a place of love and the love that he shared with his father, you know, it's still very much real. And even though you know, he was sick and all the above, and he couldn't really enjoy the success of the album that he normally would have, you know, in a will mindset, there was still the idea that he made this accomplishment. But he had made his peace, so in making peace with that, as he you know, even still tried to recover, but still making peace with that. He passed away in July of two thousand and five, and I remember where I was when I heard the news. I was at my Big Mama's house and my mama had well, actually no, my cousin had picked me and my other two cousins up from girl Scout camp, and so we came home to Big Mama's house and then Mom was getting ready to pick me up, and then the news was on and they had announced that he had passed away, and my mom just gasped and she could not believe it. And I could kind of see that she felt away about it, because of course it was an artist that she loved. And then my dad, I found out. He was at work when he heard the news. My dad famously said that when he found out about it, he went outside the parking lot and yelled a really bad word. So, you know, people have their ways of mourning in the moment. And yeah, it was just a very real outpouring of emotion that took place on the radio. You heard his music everywhere. You couldn't escape it in that, you know aspect. There were tributes all over and as a kid then I didn't fully process it. But the older I got, the more I really begun I had. It's like I knew I appreciated his art, but I was still little and had not matured, you know, enough to fully appreciate that art. But now that I'm much older and over the years, I totally get it. And in the documentary they showed his funeral and the outpouring of emotion of seeing fans, you know, even touching his heart and everyone who came out to sing at the funeral, along with Dion Warwick speaking at it, Sissy Houston, Whitney Houston's mother singing at it, with the choir and everything. It seemed like it was a very beautiful service. But his friends stated that, you know, they were just too full of emotion to really even process what was going on that day, which I completely understand.
Speaker 2: She got herself that day. She didn't even remember, like she don't. Her memory of that day is kind of like, you know, like you remember where you were. I don't remember. You said it was July twenty.
Speaker 4: Two, two thousand and five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I was fifteen July. It depends on when, because I know July was my mom's birthday. Mom, so I don't know if I was like with her. I feel like it depends on the date. Thirty passed I feel like I was probably with my mom because she probably came down to visit or something. Well, I do remember being outside. I probably was outside fifteen years old, so outside. I do probably remember being outside somewhere. But I don't remember where I was when I heard it. And that's probably a sad thing for me, because I kind of remember where I was where I like when other people passed away. Aliah, I remember I was in the house. My brother came to the house to talk it to my sister, like, yo, well Leah passed away. I saw it on the news, Biggie Biggie down on my seventh birthday, So I know that. Yeah, uh Tupac. My brother loved Tupac, So I remember that. Michael Jackson, don't even get me started, please, I just know where I was. So for Lutha, like, I really don't remember where I was or how I heard that he passed on that I'm gonna have to go and try to unlock a memory. But it's still like a it's still a detrip. It's still sad because Luther was so young, right, He's only in his fifties. If I'm not mistaken, like fifty three or fifty two or something like he was fifty four, Like I'm just like yo. And then I actually was in well years later, I wasn't at the funeral. I actually was in the church that his friend would take place at to see to thee in person conversation with Angela Davis, And as I'm looking it up, I'm like, yo, this is the same church that luth Vangrels was. They had luth Vandrols service at, Like wow, right up in Harlem. Like it's such a I don't want to say it's such a sad thing just to quote Superstar, but it is, like it is such a sad thing to know, like he has so much more life to live, and because he puts so much stress on himself trying to please others, and those conversations wouldn't have been those conversations weren't had we lost him at a young age message age.
Speaker 5: Yeah, speaking of you remember where you were? I remember where I was. My founder Luther died. Matter of fact, it was it was. It was in the summer. I was going to the mall my parents, right, and I was I was sixteen fifteen going on sixteen July first, so my birthday July twenty, so you know, might as well six sixteen right round up. You know, so we just you know, actually happen to be driving and you know, get the news to find out about it. Uh, you know what I mean. So like I because I you know, grew up you know, listen listen to listeners music when we talked about early on, you know what I mean, So and so like to find that out just so sudden it was. It was painful because Luther, it was fifty four, he was. Matter of fact, he died four days before my dad's birthday. My dad's persons birthday is July fifth, so so he died four days before my dad's fifty second, fifty second birthday at the time. Right, So Luther was bornineteen fifty one. Day was born nineteen fifty three. My mom was born nineteen fifty four, right, so you know, like that that close, you know, age wise, you know, like it was just insane itself. And the thing is, as far as Michael, I know, I was working at Target at the time, so I think I was. I was off that day.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, so the time too, I didn't know my mife was muted.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, go ahead, yeah, but but yeah, Like, like I said, that's like two thousand and nine. I was working a target at the time, you know, like I think I was off or whatever or just gotten off and find out that Michael had died and his and his another my blowing thing, right, So you're talking about this, Uh, Prince died on April twenty first, between sixteen. That was the that was the day after what would have been Luther Vandross's sixty fifth birthday. So yeah, and I remember remember that day very well. So like when it comes when it came to Luther, oh absolutely, I could almost remember, like you know, seats you know, almost received in terms of like where it was and stuff like that. So it's it's still surreal to realize this dude is still not it's not here. And what more we could you know, contributions, you know, we could have seen from him as far as being not just a singer boss with a songwriter and producer for for a munch of these other artists that will that will follow later on. I mean imagine him songwrighting, doing songwriting for us, you know what I mean, that kind of thing, and you know, and and other people other people that you can think of that you can name. I mean, like yeah, so as far as you know, remember when I was absolutely.
Speaker 4: Yes, so in the midst of all of that.
Speaker 3: Since I think it's very poignant how this documentary was aired on television on New Year's Day and it's twenty twenty five, which now marks twenty years since he's passed, and I am watching this documentary and watching even just the way it ended, and watching all these people talk about how much they loved him and just talk about how musically he just gave so much of himself. It just meant a lot, and it just gave so it just showed so much. I feel like it was just filled with all the love that I felt in my heart.
Speaker 6: For Luther, and just knowing that other people felt the same, it just felt really good.
Speaker 4: So it was.
Speaker 3: It was definitely an emotional watch for sure. But his life was well lived. Though it was short, it was still well lived. He did what he came here to do, which was be himself, be excellent, and be an amazing singer. And as far as I'm concerned, he is the king of R and B. You know, like, forget what you heard about anybody else is king of our beings. You know, and yeah, he gave what he gave, and what he gave was great, and his influence will live throughout the generations and his music speaks to that.
Speaker 4: His impact speaks to that.
Speaker 3: And this documentary speaks to that. And I'm just really happy that now we live in a time where we can go back and look at documentaries, look at music, and even listen to current music and hear his voice and his influence.
Speaker 4: Like, it's not.
Speaker 3: Lost on me that in the midst of all the drama with Kendrick Lamar, we got a song where he's sampled if this love were mine, Like, like that's something that you know, just doesn't that just it's not lost on me at all.
Speaker 4: So I'm just.
Speaker 3: Really grateful that we had him for as song as we had him, and we still have him even though it's not in the physical and we can live our beautiful black lives and love his music and love him forever for always, for love. And with that in mind, thank you guys so much for watching.
Speaker 4: If you're watching live, thank you.
Speaker 6: I know there's a lot of other stuff going on, especially even NXT happening.
Speaker 4: Like oh my god, like I but either way, thank all of you.
Speaker 3: So much for watching this very different episode of HWUP. Extra thank you guys Krista and Vaughn for coming on and talking with me about this and being game to even do an.
Speaker 4: Episode like this.
Speaker 3: So it can just just tell everybody where they can find you and follow you and what you guys got going on.
Speaker 2: Okay, you can follow me MS christ B, MS Underscore kr I s t a B Underscore on Instagram, M's Underscore kr I s t a B on Twitter. You can follow those wrestling girls on every stream of platform. Also make sure you follow my other platform, unapologetically Eclectic. I am doing my third annual Take Up your Space, Take Up your Space this brunch and panel. The tickets went on sale to day, so yeah, I'm very excited about it. It's going to be a women empowerment brunch and panel. But the guys can come out. They can come support these women, these talented, amazing, beautiful Black women and stand around us as a part of the community. So please make sure you follow all me everywhere and Steph thank you for having me. I love talking music and documentaries and Lutha and everything, so thank you.
Speaker 5: So of course you can follow me on Twitter as it says and up on the bottom of my name at three or one, King bon Jr. You can follow me on Instagram at mister King bon Jingior. I'm the hosted to be Victorious Ones podcast.
Speaker 9: We consistently do episodes on you of course on on Wednesdays, you know, about eight oh five, and so of course I'm also you can follow the show's Twitter page at Victory Pop one and of course you can follow.
Speaker 5: The show's Instagram page at Victoria's Ones Podcast. And so so of course I'm gonna be doing an episode, uh you know, coming up this week in terms of giving my review of Raw on Netflix and also on my show on my podcast. I've done the Luther documentary documentary documentary review after after I saw the special screening back in November, and so so so so as far as that, like I said, you know that, those are some of the things, those are some of the main things I'm doing. I'm also work finishing up some articles about New Day as well as as well as Randy Orton just to name a few, you know. So of course we'll be updating my top fifty wrestlers uh you know lists sometime after wrestling it. So so those some of the things I'm doing as well, so you do always hear support and thank you very much, Steph, because I've been looking forward to talking about this, so thank you very much for this platform.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and of course y'all know you can follow me your girl Stephanie Harty on Instagram and Twitter, slash x at Queen step Party, Listen to the show, the Hardy Wrestling Podcast and other episodes of HWB Extra everywhere you get your podcast, Apple Podcasts, Spotify, iHeartRadio, all of the audio places, go and find it and subscribe to the YouTube channel which is the Hearty Wrestling Podcast with the logo that you see in the corner over there. And just check out my episode that I did put out yesterday about the Raw on Netflix premiere because it was a time and it was great, So please go listen or watch that and just continue to be on the lookout for what else I might have going on, read all my articles at DAILYDDT dot com, and just continue to support your girl. As you know, we continue to change the game. I think a new episode of stephan Kat Talk Wow will be coming out tomorrow as well, so be on the lookout for that, unless, of course, we announced that there's a schedule change but either way be on the lookout for that as well. And thank you guys so much for watching this very different episode, and of course, and if you have not watched this documentary, please do. It's very emotional but very joyful at the same time, and if you love Luther, you'll love it. So of course, this has been the Hardy Wrestling Podcast Extra with your Girl Stephanie Hardy and christ By and Vaughan and until next time, bye y'all.