Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Backflips and Nerds, the Baseball podcast with a British twist. I am Darius Austin and we are here with our slightly belated twenty twenty six preseason prediction extravaganza. Yes, I know some of you may point out that the season has started to that. I say, I don't like to look at the standings until May. So does it really matter? Probably not. I was going to go back and look at who was in first place on four games into the season last year, but it really doesn't matter. I couldn't be bothered. So let's just say we haven't learned anything about the teams. The Nationals are not great. I'm not going to come in and say the Nationals are winning nine five games. That's my point. Anyway, in the background, you can hear the one egg spur I deemed worthy enough to join me on this podcast. I've cut these the dead wood. I've just recruited our number one prognosticator, austral Damas as he's called himself. How's okay?
Speaker 2: Also, the nostrils are are being absolutely decimated by early early season hay fever. I feel dreadful today, which reminds me of when I was in San Francisco a couple of years ago, and so I died to stay on Powell Street because it is tree pollen that gets me, and and there were some very very pretty blossoming trees down there. And I feel as dreadful now as probably the San Francisco Giants do after the very short start to the season. And what that's taught me is, don't ever go to Washington because I feel dreadful right now. And you know, they're pretty into their blossoms there, I've heard, so I'm going to stay away from that.
Speaker 1: That is the word on the street. I'm good, thank you. Yeah, I've not been to Washington. They did have that whole jersey that was themed around the blossom, so I think it's a pretty big thing to look at it today, and I hated it. I looked at it thinking, you bastard, to stay away from me. You've felt allergic looking at the hat I did.
Speaker 2: I did. Yeah. Fantast sporting Milwaukee Brewers today in honor of the team that did the best last year with the old record, I've got the lovely blue and gold uniform which was which is a gift from a recent birthday, So yeah, I'm ready to prognosticate.
Speaker 1: It's a beautiful looking uniform. I'm sure we were all wrong about the Brewers last year, so we will obviously agree with it. To remind people, if you've not seen one of these before, we've been doing this for quite a few years now. But we are going to go through and we're going to predict win totals for all of the teams. If you are watching this on YouTube, you will see the little spreadsheet we've got together here. The number at the top you see, twenty four hundred and thirty. That is how many wins there are in a Major League Baseball season. And we're going to go through and we're going to allocate some wins to everybody.
Speaker 2: And once we really learning.
Speaker 1: Are writing that down there we go. I believe you're that we used to have an A team and a B team. Podcast rob was on the B team. We won't comment on who normally did better, but I don't think you had this restriction, did you. Robbie used to just throughout the winters and it didn't matter what they had up to.
Speaker 2: Absolutely it didn't matter, you know, because because it's all about breaking the boundaries man, and you know, like like finding your way to victory and glory, you can't be constrained by numbers. Well, welcome, we can because of the CBA. But you know that's fine.
Speaker 1: Where we are constrained by numbers, and I will be rigidly enforcing this number to make sure we get to exactly zero wins remaining at the end. So what we normally happens is we get to the end and we are out in one or the other direction, normally over, but we have been under in the past, and then we have to go through and say, you know what, the Rockies are a you know, forty win team. Let's just take some off then and then we're done. So that's the aim of the name of the game. We will go through. We'll just randomly pick teams each and at some point we believe that mister ben Carter may turn up, probably just to talk about the Mets for a few minutes and give them one hundred and five wins. So if he joins us, he joins us. If not, it would just be me and Rob arguing over whether we think our respective predictions are really good or not.
Speaker 2: That's it. Can I add something we could do this. This is us us working this out on the fly, rather than having a proper meeting before to discuss the format. The B team we used to have our tiebreaker game. I've got that up my sleeve if we need to, I've got my random number generator. And what we can do is we can if we really cannot agree on a number, we can hit that random number generator, hit a random stat and then whoever gets closest to that stat and can have their prognostication to be the defining one until we have to make it up at the end.
Speaker 1: Sure that sounds like probably, especially in this situation where there are only two of us, may be quite a sensible idea. Because we don't it doesn't sound sensible at all. Actually, given that this is you, Darius, and I'm doing this based on vibes, Yeah, well, vibes are very important in the Prediction Pod. We don't base it on a lot of data. Generally speaking, you can embody the spirit of mister Pringle on today's episode. So, without further ado, I guess we should pick a team and I'll let you go first. Rob, you can pick. You've got all thirty to choose from who do you want to predict?
Speaker 2: Well, you know what humans are like when they say you shouldn't actually give people a choice, because then they can't do it. I'm now I'm now spoilt for choice, but I'm going to go with a really popular choice of the Minnesota Twins. How exciting. What a way to kick it off a Minnesota.
Speaker 1: Keep people hooked for this episode by bringing up the Twins first.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, we're burying the lead here. I reckon the Minnesota Twins are going to win, and win is probably a strong word. Seventy games because I am feeling generous to start the day off.
Speaker 1: Cently seems like the right ballpark to me. I don't have any confidence that they actually want to do anything with this team. I know they keep saying, the owners keeps saying they want to win, but everything they've done around that suggests they don't want to win. So I'm not going to fight you on seventeen. I think we can start off with seventeen.
Speaker 2: That's fine. And basically all they've done is they've they've done what every losing team does, is they've passed Josh Bell around, and hey, look, Josh Bell, I'm sure he's a great chap, he's a serviceable major league player, But boy, does that guy seem to find the team that is going to suck that year. So I think mister Bell being there is a bad sign. And they've done sweet fa all else all off season, so I think, well, let's start with seventy, A nice, happy round.
Speaker 1: Seventy nice seventy. I'm going to put in the seventy. Yeah, Josh Bell is fascinating case. I'm sure he must be in the top ten of players likelings to get traded and the deadline, so that's fascinating scenario. They've cooked themselves up there. Let's go get Josh Bell.
Speaker 2: There's a man who's eard an awful lot of money by doing not particularly that.
Speaker 1: I presume he's a tremendous clubhouse guy. Must have had a great reviews because everybody wants to sign him, and with.
Speaker 2: The money he's got, at least the drinks will will certainly be on him now at some point, because again, the guy's got cash are probably more cash than the entire rest of that Twins Twins lineup has. So yes, the Minnesota Twins, let's not dwell on them too long.
Speaker 1: Let's not I'm going to do get this out of the way, because they are the most mid team in the history of baseball, the San Francisco Giants. Let's just give them eighty one. That is what they are, that is what they have been four years. They didn't really do anything to disabuse us of that notion. This offseason. They made the Adrian Howser signing, for example, which is about as mid as you can get.
Speaker 2: Quite like Tadrian Houser. Yeah, I like all of the all the Giants.
Speaker 1: I quite like them all that that that's the whole point that they're not terrible. You know, they're not going to lose a hundred games. Outside of that one miraculous season. They have basically been a five hundred team for about the last half decade.
Speaker 2: I mean, you say they're not one hundred games, but I think they're on course for zero sixty two at the moment, are they not?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: They won, they won last night. So who do they play Padres?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, they're not very good either. Maybe we'll come to that later.
Speaker 1: H Hot hot take preview for Rogunnett and do you have do you want to argue with eighty one or is that fine.
Speaker 2: I mean you really can't with the with the Giants, they've gone from being like this really really interesting, ever present gonna win every other year. Franchise two also runs. I mean they are they're just dumb, but they're not bad. They're not bad. They are fine. That is that I quite like, you know, William Damas is an interesting player, and then there's some other guys and that's about it really. And yeah, so I can't argue with eighty one. I think we should. We should lock them in for eighty one. And I really don't see that one budget much.
Speaker 1: Okay, well lock them in for eighty one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't.
Speaker 1: I can't say moving any it direction on that, but we can always come back to it. Where would you like to go next?
Speaker 2: So we've started with two really exciting teams. Just couldn't be more exciting. So I think I am going to move on to the Marlins. So the Miami Marlins, I think last year they run differential indicated the team they really were, and their record really flattered them. And they did seventy nine wins last year. It's only going down. People seem quite high on them. They've actually done all right in the first three games of the season, but I've got them for seventy three and that might be generous by the time we come to the end of this and we've predicted far too many wins.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are bits of the Marlins that I like. I love Aary Perez. I think there's a lot of pitching potential there, and they've got some more pitches on the way. I think the lineup is pretty bad, and I don't trust them to not blow it up. Last year it wasn't going that badly, so they didn't completely tear it apart. But you know, there are guys in this team who are definitely getting traded at the deadline if they're you know, ten games under five hundred.
Speaker 2: Yeah as hell. Wasn't it like they were? They were like minus eighty something, weren't they like their pithag Yeah, it was a lot way off. I mean, what do they do Pete Fairbanks and Christopher Morrell. I mean, it's all good having a closer, but if you're not getting to the winds, then there's no point in Christopher Morell a bit of a joke that's been passed around the last couple of years. So is there anything less left in San Dielo, Cantara. Who knows. But what do you have for the What did you have for the older Marlins?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I was in the low seventies as well. I don't think they're the worst team in that division. We can get to that, but I definitely, yeah, don't think they're contenders. And even Christopher Morel is hurt already, so is he?
Speaker 2: I mean that's no downside really, I mean he won't swing and miss. So yeah, I'm just looking up the Marlins pithag from last season. Where are we seventy two and ninety?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think seventy three is fine. I think Peter Bendix is doing some interesting things. But it's a slow burn over there.
Speaker 2: Oh he's not. He's just recruiting old Rays. It's the oddmost obvious gig in the entire majors.
Speaker 1: Hey, there's a reason that Ray's employees are in every front office in the leage.
Speaker 2: Probably, yeah, but maybe maybe not that one. Yeah, so we stick on seventy.
Speaker 1: Three, then let's stick on seventy three. I'm going to fight about seventy three.
Speaker 2: I think they might go down towards the end.
Speaker 1: Okay, where shall we go. I feel like I should pick somebody also not very exciting, just to keep this run going. Who is who is the least exciting team left on the board.
Speaker 2: I'm not.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to say the Rocket. Someone will save them.
Speaker 2: See if Ben turns up absolutely interesting to the Chicago White Sox, Ah, to the White Sox credit they are more interesting this year than they were last year because last year they didn't even had the interest of potentially being the worst team in baseball history.
Speaker 1: They were just kind of bad. Now they've got Murakami who's homering all the time. We'll see how many times he strikes out. I think he might have a run at the old strikeout record, which will be interesting. And there are some guys, some young guys. Yeah, Miguel Vargas has stared hot. Maybe he figures it out this season. You know, they've got some pitching prospects on the way and the miners. It's it's looking it's looking up for the White Sox. Low bar, but yes, very low. I mean the guys on the team that you know, five years ago would have been all they're interesting but never quite turned out that way. I mean, how much you're getting from Suranthony Domingos.
Speaker 2: At this point, but uh yeah, I mean they lost Mike Tauchman, so points off for that, I guess, yeah.
Speaker 1: But yeah, cos Montgomery is interesting. I think the Catchers, you know, Carr and Kyle teal his hamstring at the BBC, But I think they've got some potential to be part of the next good White Sox team. There are some pieces here. A couple of years ago you just looked at seemly thought there is literally nobody here who I think is going to be on the next good White Sox team. And that's not true anymore. That said, they're still very bad basketball too, and I think that the going to win an awful bad now dull bad, like I reckon, like sixty six wins bad. What's happening here is we're not having enough discourse because these are our our predictions are far too close. I had him for sixty five, so yeah, happy to settle on your sixty six. Settle Okay, well, coming rop, you've got a pig sign controversial then wait.
Speaker 2: Okay, I did have a couple. Yeah, yeah, I'm going to fuck you about the Brewers. Okay, I'm wearing the Brewers let's do the Brewers. I think the Brewers were all smoking mirrors. I think their ninety seven was alone rubbish. And I think the Brewers this year are going to end up on still very good eighty nine.
Speaker 1: I thought you were going to go way lower from that intro.
Speaker 2: Oh, and I mean eight wins the season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, honestly, I could see them being worse. I know what you mean about the smoking mirrors. It feels like the pieces are never that impressive. I still look at that lineup and go doesn't really make any sense.
Speaker 2: Where's it going from?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it didn't like, how did they score that many runs? That like just couldn't figure it out?
Speaker 2: And cheerios as well. Now, yeah, I could I could go lower. I could go lower on the Brewers. All right, let's just do it. Let's go crazy.
Speaker 1: I've been such a number. The number is eighty four. Eighty four is rough, eighty four is split difference. Uh no, you know what, Let's stay bold, Let's stay let's let's see the look on Ben's face when he turns up, if he turns up when we approach with eighty four, eighty four on the Brewers, throwing shade here, Okay, it's in. I mean, it's still the best thing we've projected so far, so it might have been enough to win that division too. Well, let's talk about the Cubs. I think the Cubs are going to win this division. I think the Cubs have got the much better lineup. I still have questions about the pitching, but I really like Kate Horton. I think he's got a lot of potential. And yeah, just that the depth of that lineup is is pretty incredible. Incredible defensively as well. You know, having dance by Swanson and Nico Horner and Pete Kramstrup in the middle, that.
Speaker 2: Is incredible stuff.
Speaker 1: And yeah, that's that's the question.
Speaker 2: With the bat, he obviously looked like an MVP candidate for the first half and then like a guy they were platooning by the end of the season.
Speaker 1: That's a concern. But his defense in center field maybe the best in the league, and you can get away with a lot. You know, he doesn't need to be a superstar with the bat. You know, you watched Kevin kim I for years. Kevin kim I didn't have to hit, did he He did not. He was still he was still a four or five win player, even when he didn't really hit very much. So I think Peak Crimestrung could be like that, but with a bit more power. That's that's the possibility. I think he's probably going to be like Haby Buyers, really but in center field, and some he's going to have like incredible seasons. In some years you're going to be really annoyed about how much he swings at things outside the zone.
Speaker 2: They've give him a fair bit of cash for someone with a lot of a lot of years left on his contract, So let's give him a fair bit of cash.
Speaker 1: I think I think they believe, so I think they've got to believe in something. Yeah, So I believe in the Cubs, and I think they're going to win nighty games.
Speaker 2: See they did ninety two last year, and yeah, essentially the only real thing that's changed on that team is we've exchanged Kyle Tucker for Alex Bregman. Do you think Carle Tucker is only two games better than Alex Brogman.
Speaker 1: Well, Krtucker was hurt, so.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's a fair point.
Speaker 1: So maybe over a full season, maybe maybe not. But Alex s Bragman's a pretty good player as long as a thanks breakman stays in the field, he's probably a four when players.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, all right, I can see it. Yeah, fine, okay, let's go, let's go, let's go. You said ninety, Yeah, I said ninety. I had it a couple less than that, but I can go with ninety. Let's let's put that in there, but put a pin in it because I'm pinning it. I'm willing to drop that a couple when we need to. It was greed on your little little chart there. I'm now fully understanding the color the color system for those of you who audio only format, we have red teams with low numbers, gray teams in the middle, and green teams at the top, which of course is completely normal thing to do. But I hadn't understood what the colors weren't, and I think I apologize it.
Speaker 1: It's not very color line friendly. But this is also, you know, the default color scale in Google shoots good old default, and yeah, it does does visually do the job.
Speaker 2: So so we had ninety for the Cubs, we had eighty four for the Brewers. Okay, right, let's try and talk about somebody a little bit more interesting. I like the red Sox. I think the Red Sox have had a really fun off season. I think watching that documentary about them, the most boring man in the front office has done a decent job. So I really like the moves they've made. I like Sunny Gray. I think has been quite underrated since he flopped with the Yankees, but outside of that, I think he's been pretty damn good the whole DWN time. I like Wilson Contrerez. Ranger Suarez is a really good pick up for them. I think they were a team that did quietly did quite well last year, Like it wasn't not a fanfare about it, and I think they've got better. Yes, they've lost Bregman, but that's really the sort of the headline there. So I'm in on the Red Sox last year at eighty nine. This year, I'm I'm gonna see I'm gonna see ninety two. Hmmm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do agree with you that I like a lot of what they did. I mean, the rotation looks great, and the depth is incredible as well, Like it's really hard to fit all these guys onto their depth shop. They've got so much depth, which I like a lot. I guess the infield is the question is kind of Durbin really that good? What's happening with Meyer? What's happening with Christian Campbell? If he materializes? But the outfield is stagged? And yeah, I like Contrellas too, so yeah, the biggest I.
Speaker 2: Had was no first basement. Now they have a decent first basement.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, who knows what's happening with Dress and Cassas as well, But maybe they just trade him for something that they need at some point during the scene. It's a It's a good problem to have, So yeah, I can see it. This is going to be a tough division to shake out, I think, But I don't hear ninety two and think there's no way the Red Sox are doing that. So let's go with it and then we can fight about the air at least later maybe.
Speaker 2: I think we will. I think we will fight about the air least. I think they're all good. I think they're all good. Yeah, that's the problem with the aarlist. I mean all of them, all of them, not the way everyone else is predicting it, all of them.
Speaker 1: I thought the Blue Jays were the least goods last season, then they ended up winning the division. So but I think I think we maybe did have them all that or over five hundred when we did ours last year. So yeah, it's it's tough. Why don't we Why don't we stick around in there? The Oriols are staring right at me, So I'm going to talk about the Oriols, and I think I think they're going to get better. Pitching still disappoints me a bit, but I think I think they'll be above five hundred. I think they're going to be in that wild card mix. I'm just not quite sure they've done enough on the on the pitching side, I still think they might not could be really really really good. But yeah, maybe Trevor Rodgers is great, and maybe Kyle Bradish can go back to being great. You've watched a lot of shame pars and the Oils extended him, so I guess they think he's going to be goold. But uh, yeah, I know, Chris Bassett kind of washed. Maybe Zach Eflin wasn't up to most last season. Yeah, it gets thin real fast here, and you could easily look up at this team in August and go, what, They've got one good starter and then nothing.
Speaker 2: So they'll have pictures, which is an improvement on last year. I think what they've done is they've significantly increased the floor, which was dire, and now it's just bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I want to say, like eighty six, I think that'll get him in the wildcard mix, but maybe a little step behind the guys who are going to be in the division mix.
Speaker 2: Bit rich for my blood. I mean, Peter Alonzo, I think I just can't look past how bad he's you know, it's right there the day comparison, like it's it's staring me in the face.
Speaker 3: I think it.
Speaker 2: It hinges a lot on that man, and I think I just can't see it. I think it's going to be a delicious, delicious failure. I think it's going to go bad straight away, like immediately, bad straight away, immediately, absolutely immediately. Look like the first like three weeks are going to be spectacular and then like nothing. That's that's the prediction. And I think that leads the Orioles to an eighty two win team. In my mind, I've still got them as a winner. Eighty six, eighty six, should should we do it?
Speaker 1: Can we go eighty four?
Speaker 2: Can we we split? Let's do a tie break. Let's do a type break.
Speaker 1: Let's use your type break. We've got it, so right, let's.
Speaker 2: Let's you know. And now now in the this is going to seem really seamless as I as I work this out. So I've got a random number generator. You pick a stat, and then I will pick a random player, and then whoever gets closest to that stat is the winner on their baseball reference page or whatever like well that you have to find it because you're the stat man. So I'm going to find a player first, so I can't see the stat by mistake the player one, two, three, four, five, six, seven. Okay, So you are looking for an outfielder. Pick pick an outfield stat that you can look up quickly and out any outfield stat like a different any any field, any lineup stat, any stat.
Speaker 1: For a hitter, any stat for a hitter. Okay, stolen bases, stolen bases.
Speaker 2: Okay, right now, I'm going to tell you the name of the bloke, and it is uh Colby Mayo, Coby Mayo. So now you need to you need to get it before you look it up. And we'll pick a number each and whoever is closest is the winner, and we're working career No last season, last season? How many stolen bases Coby Mayo get Yeah? Did he did he play? He barely played? Didn't he Well, it doesn't matter which to vision, like, maybe it was in the miners. Who knows, oh mine league counts? What last year? Wherever he was? How many bases.
Speaker 1: Wherever he played?
Speaker 2: Wherever he played?
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll say three. Then if we include three, I'm going to.
Speaker 2: Take the over. I'm going to go four. How many did Kobe Mayo? For? Look, this is this would be better if I had stolen bases? Aha, stolen bases in twenty twenty five, you had its spot on the ad three. So well done, you win? Will you go with your your estimate?
Speaker 1: Okay, so we're going eighty six on the Orioles thanks to Coby may.
Speaker 2: See, it's a really non clunky game. You see that looks really really seamless, especially when it's all live.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Okay, you go eighty six on them, scoot to the other end and let's do the Reds. Another exciting team. I'm pretty sure Gav will say that they were on for a hundred wins or something crazy, because Gav likes to go hard on the Twins. I'm saying they are a pretty boring eighty They've done nothing. There's nothing's happened there Like this. This team is basically the team they had last year. They weren't very good. It's it's a little bit better. They've all got a little bit more sort of improved. But they've they've you know, they got rid of the likes of Nick Martinez, who was okay, Gavin Lux you know, who was potentially okay, never really really became anything. And they've not done much other than add a Henio Suarez. So like it's it's a a bit better than last year's results, which was maybe not actually better. Maybe I'm wrong. They did eighty to three last year. I just saw that. Okay, I'm gonna revise it to eighty three. They're going to repeat it's eighty three. I don't think they did enough. It's just it's just a blat. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I like the pitching, like, I mean, it would help if Green hadn't got hurt. Yes, I like Chase Burns a lot. I think Andrew Rabbit is good. Nick Midelo, I don't know, maybe had his career year last year. But it's a lot of potential on the pitching side. But yeah, it's just I think the bullpen is bad. I think a lot of the lineup is bad. You know Ellie's side. I mean, I know will hit home runs, but it will be in a weird up and down frustrating way.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't feel strongly enough about the Reds to argue with eighty three. I don't think I might be a bit high on that.
Speaker 2: Initially had eighty and then I realized I'd said that they did nothing, and so they've they've maybe a little bit better, but then realize that I've actually predicted them less. So I had eight in my head. But I mean, if we stick with eighty three, there's there's some right pickings for some wins we need later on.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll stick with eighty three. You can argue that the Pirates are like maybe a bit better than last year, and so that might contribute.
Speaker 2: I don't know. All right, let's do the Atlanta Braves. Who are good? Who are cursed? I think I think so. Yes.
Speaker 1: What entertains me about the Braves is that even though they seem to keep having all these tragedies before them, all the projection systems still really even though it's like, well half their rotation is falling apart, and yeah, yeah, who's pitching at this point? Who's who's pitching at this point? You know, one of one of the guys who's not her is Chris Sale. You know, I hope Chris Sales stays healthy. But usually usually there's some sort of time needs a couple of weeks at least, then it's yeah, like Bryce Elder, like, what we're doing here. It's not it's not good, it's strided done. It doesn't look like old Strider anymore. Rain had a Lopez throwing eighty nine. But then you know, you also say this line up was like maybe the best line up or time, like not that long ago, and they've still got most of those guys. So yeah, I just I feel like they're going to fall off, but maybe not as much as like you'd think from all the tragedies that performed them so to like eighty eight, yeah, I mean where it's an improvement on last year. But last year was like a real like injury disaster.
Speaker 2: I had the blessed, I had the blessed. I thought you were going to go go lower than that, And my rationale was was, yeah, they they're all injured to start with, but then sort of second half they're going to come back a bit because they do have a decent team and you know decent like healthier Kunya, healthy Murphy like that, they could really make a bit of a difference. So I had them way lower, but let's let's go somewhere in the middle. Then I can see maybe eighty five scrape into a world car position.
Speaker 1: Maybe they're eighty five too bothered about that?
Speaker 2: Would you be happy if you were a Braves fan with eighty five though? I mean, given the way they've been handing out contracts over the you know, long term contracts, we should be right in the middle of their like their heyday now, and it's it's just not happened. I mean, it's lucky they've had they had that World Series because they've not got as much to show for it as they really should have done.
Speaker 1: I think there's a lot riding on this year, isn't there. Like a lot of these guys they signed to long term deals, you want to see them bounce back, Like if Riley's not any better and Harris isn't any better and Stryder doesn't look like he's going to get back to his best, and you can't like, well, now we've just got a lot of guys on long term deals who would like maybe their average players, and we're kind of, you know, a bit restricted here. I think it's going to be a pretty interesting year from them in that regard, because, yeah, when they were locking all those guys up, it it's like, oh, they're just you know, it's unfair.
Speaker 2: How can they have all this talent? And now a lot of that talent, you know, we have a lot of questions about and there's going to be a lot of Mauricio Dubonne early in the season, which there's a lot. Yeah, it's a lot, you know. And like the pickups, well, you know, Mike Yastremski, joonah Heim, like these aren't Braves level exciting pickups. These are very very like everything's falling apart and here's some guy all for the whole kind of signings. And I wasn't overly impressed with their with their off season personally.
Speaker 1: No, Kim Kim getting hurt was unlucky. But yeah, last year anyway, a load bearing part of your team is concerning and They seem to have contented themselves to just not have anybody that good in left field, which is a choice that I probably wouldn't have made.
Speaker 2: Eighty five. That'll do, Okay, you are up, I am up, and I am going to take the.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 2: The Detroit Tigers. They're an interesting, interesting option this year. They had a really weird one. Last year. They were the best team in baseball. They were the worst team in baseball, and they were just about enough of the team in baseball. And it's really really hard to see what these guys actually are. I think the team is probably reeling from the insane deal that has been signed by one Tariff Schooble. I imagine that's probably hamstring them a little bit in what plans they maybe had. They kind of have this horrible decision. Now it's it's do we do we back that for all that money or do we get rid of it. You talk about recreating players in the aggregate, and most of the time that's a load of rubbish, which is an excuse for getting rid of some big wages. But with that kind of money, you really genuinely could do an awful lot. And they've they've they've seemingly backed him with the Vowders signing was it was a nice one for them. So I think they are on the up. I think you've also got a young team that is stabilizing a bit. Perhaps they will know how better to pace themselves. Maybe they'll find themselves. You know, they won't quite have the highs, but they certainly hopefully won't have those ridiculous lows. I could see them being a mild improvement to an eighty eight winter. Yeah, like what who are the real Tigers?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I'm still unconvinced by lots of parts of this team. Yeah, I'm sure Kevin McGonigal will be good at some point. I'm sure Max Clark will come up and we will place Parking Meadows of Parking Meadows is no good. Riley Green just strikes out a lot.
Speaker 2: He was going to be so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and I think he still can be good.
Speaker 2: What's by it? You know, as is there anything left in the tank for Verlander? You know, Yeah, it didn't look like it.
Speaker 1: Last night for Verlander, that's for sure. But then they have scooball and they have rambas so that that helps quite a bit. If you can get thirty plus starts out of those two guys. That will take you a long way. And the division is bad. Yeah, eighty eights sounds fine. You know they can take those wins off the Twins and the White Sox pretyvious. They can't they Kevin McGonagall sounds like a Harry Potter character. I'm gonna throw that out there, one if that dozen things of the Characulus, like that's quite on vogue at the moment they got that series coming out.
Speaker 2: Wasn't there the professor McGonagall, that's the one. There you go. I knew i'd read that somewhere. There we go. The comparison is not as good as I thought it was fair enough. Okay, we'll take one off then in eighty seven, not eighty eight.
Speaker 1: Eighty seven eighty seven for that because of.
Speaker 2: The lack of appropriate Harry Potter adjacency.
Speaker 1: That is what they got last year. So I don't think that it's crazy, I believe. So I think they're going to be better.
Speaker 2: That come on. I mean, sure they're gonna they've got to be better. They've got to be a bit of maturity gone on there, surely.
Speaker 1: But what it's better mean because they played way over their heads winning winter at the start of the year, and then they like had the world's worst collapse at the end of the year.
Speaker 2: That collapse was quite short, wasn't it. Mhmm, oh, I believe do I spy a third window?
Speaker 3: Hello?
Speaker 2: You do? Here? He is joining us? Now?
Speaker 1: Is mister Ben Carter damage assessing the damage? Tell us here we are Ben live reaction. Which number are you most horrified by?
Speaker 2: That?
Speaker 1: You can't believe we've done?
Speaker 3: Just scan those.
Speaker 2: Numbers, I mean, looking at the graphic. I think I think the merge of the Dodgers and the pad was probably.
Speaker 1: Don't know, why does that we should do one of them next, just so that it cleans it up.
Speaker 3: I think he's been nicer Cincinnati by the rest of it.
Speaker 2: I don't really have a problem with I did say that, Yeah, Rob wanted to go lower on the Reds, and then he realized he was predicting them as being worse than last year, and he said they hadn't changed, so then he changed his mind.
Speaker 3: That I like, But I just can't in my head get the Reds being good to sit right, I.
Speaker 2: Guess you know it's not bad, But if we need to lose them later. We definitely know where we're going. First, we thought were horrified that we that we nursed the Brewers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we could have been nice Clebritors. So I'm good. Sorry for crashing your two man party.
Speaker 2: Hey, let's getting a bit intimate in here, so you know, it's it's always good to spread out. But you know, we were we were agreeing far too much.
Speaker 1: We need more discourse because Gav's not Gave would have come in here and said the Yankees are a seventy win team, and then we could have had a good argument. You know, we have savdyes of Rockies and the Mets.
Speaker 3: Ben, so yeah, the fun stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, on purpose.
Speaker 1: So yeah, we just did the Tigers. I guess I guess it can be your go, Ben. If you want to pick a team, then let's do it.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's well we haven't you haven't touched the Al West yet. Should we do a team from there?
Speaker 2: How do we not do that?
Speaker 3: How about the Mariners? It was deliberate, you were leaving that one till last.
Speaker 2: No, not.
Speaker 3: To the World Series? Right'll be good again?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: Not quite but close.
Speaker 2: No, nearly.
Speaker 3: They went to the World Series. They didn't win it, but they were in it.
Speaker 2: They didn't work. Yes, fans then just did a rob.
Speaker 3: Maybe this year they will win it. No, I I think they're going to be good again. Also, how great does the atmosphere look at that said already? I feel like that opening series just seeing the like crowds there for like game one of one, six two, that was amazing. I feel like it's so that such a fun crowd when that team is good, which hasn't been very often lately. But I think they're gonna be good again this year. I think they win eighty eight games and maybe they do make it to the Word Series this year. And I'm just early not wrong.
Speaker 1: I would I would get higher.
Speaker 2: I'm going to go lower.
Speaker 1: Okay, now there we go. Benet immediately got an argument.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've got a fight on our hands. Yeah, absolutely, I had. I think they're clearly the best team in this domnion, Like, I don't think it's that close clearly. I don't think it's clear. I think they're close.
Speaker 1: I think it's I think it's whole central everywhere else. You look at the other teams and I'm like, look at the Astrois and some guys the Astrois are playing and like, what are you doing? This is not the old Astros. There's some really bad spots in that line.
Speaker 3: Some quite old line, which is anymore.
Speaker 1: Yes, no, and agree with their outfield is Bryce Matthews and Jerry Locafida are in a platoon out there like it's it's not yeah exactly, and yet here we are.
Speaker 2: What did the Mariners add though? I mean they they've lost Polanco, who had a fantastic year. Yes, he played above his above his you know is his skills, but he's gone and they haven't got Suarez anymore. So they've lost some power there in a in a notoriously difficult to hit home run run park, a bloker could do it. And they picked up what like Brendan Donovan and Rob ref Snyder, Like, how is Rob Refsnyder still a major leaguer? The bloke has been the most the most background, like twenty sixth man roster for the for the last ten years. And that's what they're hanging their hat on. I mean, really, is that is that what we're doing?
Speaker 1: The pinching was very hurt last year and they still won night agains. That's that's not what I.
Speaker 3: Think they're hitting was a lot better than people thought last year. Is Carl Raally doing that again?
Speaker 2: Maybe here is no, absolutely not.
Speaker 1: They've got a full season of Josh Nayler this year. We sho didn't have Taylor Mega deal out to cole Almon Emerson, who I think is going to come up and be good for them.
Speaker 2: And pray though, isn't it.
Speaker 1: I'm going to give you some Rob Refsniders. That's what everyone was shouting out for. No, I'm just gonna I'm just gonna tell rot. I think the big problem the Mariton has had was that this line up is pretty lefty heavy, and so you know there is a concern when they face left handed pitching. Rob Refsnider's career career batting line against left handed pitching two eighty three, eighty one, four forty. That's an eight twenty two aps. So now only your twenty six man nonsense. This is quality platoon.
Speaker 2: Bat respects very platoon like. He never does a full season anyway. Does it mean yeah, maybe at the Red.
Speaker 1: That's not not what he's there for. Is there to hit left handed pitching?
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean I had him at eighty five. I said a slight regression. I thought they had a mammoth year where everything went right for them. I didn't see it going quite as right this year, but I can. I could probably see to Ben's middle ground. I'm certainly not going higher than that without without a fire, okay with I don't think everything went right after all of them last year.
Speaker 1: Gilbert was hurt, Kirby was hurt. We all looked the rotation and went, oh great, And actually I didn't get a lot of innings out of the guys you thought they were.
Speaker 2: Can get a log any cub anyway, Darius, I think I had the Tigers. I think it's your go Yeah, I think it is me. Let's stay here, let's do the Angels, and let's say that the Angels are finally going to do it. They're finally going to lose one hundred games for the first time in their history, sixty two wins. I think that's a bad baseball team. It's a bad this is the this is the team now that I'm like, what are they doing? Even the Rockies sometimes now I'm like, oh, I kind of liked what they're interesting. They're trying some things. The Angels, I don't know what, like Adam Frasier. What the Angels trying to do? I have no idea what the Angels are trying to do. It seems directionless, completely pointless.
Speaker 3: I have them a bit of men, yes, a little bit, not a lot. Yeah, I do feel great getting on a pedestal and vouching for the Angels.
Speaker 2: Like mid sixties you mean, yeah, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think I just saw healthy mic travel three games and I was like, Wow, they're going to be great, because isn't he good?
Speaker 1: And I have not left he definitely plays full season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. It's kind of crazy. You look at some of the like the players they had last year who had like really good seasons and they were still dreadful. So it's not hard to see them being worse this yearn't I don't know if I could name you many of their pictures, so.
Speaker 1: That, yeah, pitching is real bad.
Speaker 2: I think boring is right up there, right up there, addy though, Isn't it like they've they've finally not got the big stars where everything was going wrong and every single year we all predicted are this is the year, this is the year. So I reckon this year won't be the awful year because because we can't predict that. So I had, yeah, mid mid sixties, like sixty six, sixty seventy. I don't see they're worse than that. Come on, you've got rubbish Grayson Rodriguez, because he's clearly brilliant. So you want to do sixty six?
Speaker 3: Is that?
Speaker 2: Is that what we say?
Speaker 3: Let's do sixty four.
Speaker 2: I won sixty sixty four. All right, I'll accept that for now. Again, I know where I'm I know where my losses, where my winds are going.
Speaker 1: They're's gonna tell us we're too high.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's look at at that we need. Let's do the San Diego Padres. So can even that out on the on the graphic there, the San Diego Padres have got worse. I think that's fairly fairly obvious. They're just getting a little bit older. Those stars haven't really starred like your Bogarts is and your you know, yeah, your Machiados aren't aren't the power force. They're still decent players, They're still going to be a good team. I don't think they've got better. I think they've got a little bit worse. There's obviously weird stuff going on behind the scenes there with with with your ownership. So I think they take a step back from their ninety win season last year and they go down to eighty five, and that might be a bit generous.
Speaker 1: I could have been talked into anything between eighty and eighty five.
Speaker 3: I think had eighty five. I feel like they're really high variants. Like, if you told me they won seventy five games, I wouldn't be that shocked. If you told me they won ninety, I'd be a little bit shocked they won ninety five. But like that upside is pretty clear, but also it feels like it could all bottom out this year. But I like them to mostly be good because they have enough good players.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think they're a team that like if another starting pitcher gets hurt, I think it's going to go bad real fast.
Speaker 3: That's good.
Speaker 2: No, they signed a lot of guys, but I don't think any of them are any good. So it feels like a like a red flag. That's that's the ViBe's flag for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, healthy Jackson Merrill is really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah he's obviously this is really good, which maybe still good. The red hot takes that he's good. That is good.
Speaker 1: Bullpen is bullpen is absolutely fire. I'll give I'll give him that, not just millions, the whole lot is incredible.
Speaker 2: On league minimum is by any normal measure, a really good deal. But it's the age. I don't know, I don't think it.
Speaker 1: Do you want to pay a guy who is not actually like good player anymore? Any money enough to give point eight war last season?
Speaker 2: But he could be good. He could have been fip because he can be good.
Speaker 1: The vibes though, yeah, the vibes are not great if they don't ask him to field and maybe platoon him a bit like, yeah, it could be all right fully minimum, you might as well find out.
Speaker 3: If it is right.
Speaker 1: Let's not go over.
Speaker 2: Like the Mighty riff Slider.
Speaker 1: You laugh. But Rob Refsnyder has been out here in Nick Castianus for a while now.
Speaker 3: Depressing.
Speaker 1: Anyway, this isn't the rod Refiner the podcast.
Speaker 2: Apparently. I'm just gonna say the name Bradley Rodriguez because he's my my reliever guy this year in the pres Wallpen. And it looks like a made up name. It looks like.
Speaker 1: Somebody type O Bradley, but that is actually his name, brad and he's great.
Speaker 2: So if you get a chance, go go watch him. Anyway, We've done the Padres and it's back to Ben.
Speaker 3: To me on, then let's do the Mets. Everyone's waiting for me to throw them out there.
Speaker 2: Meet the Mets. Here we go. I reckon, there's some variants here.
Speaker 3: You guys are going to believe this. But I've got the Mets winning the NA least. I think it all went wrong for them last year. Surely it can't all way wrong for them again this year. They've spent a lot of money, brought in some good players, brought in some squint and maybe they're good players. And I still have question marks about about the rotation. And they're puting a lot on Nolan McLean Shoulders, who seems to be awesome, but he is still I believe rookie eligible and asking him to be your ace seems like a big I guess. I know with Pearlton now he doesn't have to be the ace, but I think he still has to be very good for them to be good. But the lineup is is legit. If Lindaor's how many injury isn't anything serious, which I don't think it is. I love them getting Lewis Robert Jr. We all know what one Soto is, So yeah, I can't. I just can't quit this drug that is in New York Mets and I think they win ninety games and the division.
Speaker 2: I mean what I see is a team gone like oh I didn't go get rid of everybody, get a whole what do new people who are basically the same kind of like ah, like you know, and we're just we're just doing the whole thing again, like ah, everything's mad, It's just make it all happen all the manza. And I don't I don't actually think that the result is going to be any different. And I have them down for the exact same results as they had last year it was eighty three wins and just missing out in the playoffs. I just don't see it, Like what's you know, like for every guy who had added, they've taken someone away who who is you know, or a couple of guys away to add up to the same kind of kind of kind of results. So like that weird, weird deal with Semian and you know what was that all about? Like so and half of these guys are going to be playing out their proper positions as well, because because it just doesn't add up. It's like they've just sort of swept the floor for like whoever happened to be around it, or you'll do. There was no kind of direction to it. It's just like I'll have that one, I'll have that one. I love that one. I love that one. I don't. I just don't see the plan. It doesn't feel like a team with a plan. It feels like a team desperately scrambling at the last things on the shelf before the hurricane hits. And I don't think it gives them anything better.
Speaker 3: I don't disagree, but maybe it worked.
Speaker 2: Maybe I think I lean more on Ben's side here. I think they're probably going to be top five in the league and run scored. Whether the pitching falls apart is the question that's that's a very real possibility. But you know, I think I look at this line up and I think they're going to score a lot of runs. It's kind of kind of insane the names they've got in this line up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the defense is probably going to be terrible, and yeah, if Nolan McClain isn't any good, then I don't know who we relying on here. Clay Holmes ready Parolta code, I think it. Yeah, it's just ready Parolter, isn't it. Yeah, But again, you know they have a lot of depth. They have some interesting guys in the minus two I think could come up and fill in. I don't disagree with.
Speaker 2: Your anyway, should be brilliant. And he turn that to be an absolute disaster. After one good start.
Speaker 1: Young guy, you're gonna have to narrow it down for the better.
Speaker 2: And hearing lies the problem. But yeah, I would go more towards the ninety than the eighty three.
Speaker 3: Come on, Rob, get on the bandwagon. There's so much room on the bandwagon.
Speaker 2: It's lovely, so much m ninety three for the for that New York mets I said, I said ninety and I had what eighty three? Okay, well let's let's let's I mean, obviously there's two of you, so it should pull slightly harder that way. So what like eighty eighty eight?
Speaker 1: I could do eighty eight.
Speaker 3: That seems fair.
Speaker 2: All you're gonna do is chip it away when we need We need wins at the end, so that, yeah, I know what we're gonna what's gonna happen here? Don't don't think I don't see what you guys are.
Speaker 1: We haven't been very aggressive on anybody yet, so it's possible the alternative will be true.
Speaker 2: Rob what how do you name that? You was just picture?
Speaker 1: Tell you what. Let's let's let's sort this out now and be aggressive on somebody and did the Dodgers, who I think pretty dramatically underperformed their talent last season and won the Mod Series. And I'm just gonna say a hundred because it's the Dodgers and it's the ludicrous.
Speaker 2: What else is that to say we're not getting younger? Are they? That's you have to see a problem with them. I mean, not many of us are to be to be honest, that is that is a truthful fact. But uh yeah, yeah, yes they're They're easily the best team out there. There's there's no denying it. I think one hundred is a bit high after what they had last year. They haven't got I mean, they've added Kyle Tucker. That is obviously a big, big, big improvement. I think Mookie Betts shouldn't be underestimated this year is obviously last year he had that horrific wasting disease to start the season, and if he comes back at anything like sort of regular fitness. That that that's three four wins added immediately, so I could see him going up hundreds a bit higher. I had ninety eight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I also had ninety. I think, like Rob said, you can kind of squint and see how it could all go wrong in terms of an aging lineup and a rotation that is prone to injuries. But it's still the Dodgers. I am not concerned about them being bad. I just think I probably am a bit lower, and then then I have been in years past because of that. But yeah, if you want to say a hundred, I think they had the likeliest team to win a hundred, So wouldn't I wouldn't fight it that much.
Speaker 1: By Yeah, you both said ninety eight, so we can do ninety eight.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna that's the guy I was thinking of.
Speaker 1: If if Jena Tom's good or not, do we it's not really have very much experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think he came up, did a fantastic first start. Everyone's like, Wow, he's going to be brilliant, and then he ended up like a seven or eight e ra A. Yeah, Yeah, it definitely went bad after the first Yes, but I think did he only make it six or seven starts like it wasn't It wasn't.
Speaker 1: I wasn't very many.
Speaker 2: And he's quite young. Anyway, Moving on it, why I go, it's your game? Which division are we short on? Let's talk about the Texas Rangers, because everyone loves it when I talk about them. They're pretty parents. I don't think there's much interesting to say about the Rangers. I don't think they're going to be very good, but they're not going to be very bad either. I think we're looking at a in the range of seventy eight to eighty wins, so I'm going to say seventy nine. They've not done anything particularly spectacular. They've taken on some right wing guys, which, hey, if that's your poison, then crack on with that. Uh, that's kind of it. Really, there's not There's not an awful lot to get excited about with the Rangers, so I think they sort of just dip a little bit and we end up with a seventy eight seventy nine man team.
Speaker 1: I think they're a bit better than that, but I was going to say like eight three. I like quite a few of their guys, but I don't think the complete package is there yet.
Speaker 2: I don't like the mascot. That really putting me off. I think there's something that a horse had really doesn't work for me. I don't I don't like the mascots. So they definitely lost a win for the mascot because some of them are going to be stood there looking at and thinking that although they don't have any trees really in Texas, in the desert, and as we discussed earlier in this sufferers of hay fever will not be as affected. So you know that there's a place whereby they're playing against teams in California which do have hay fever issues, and maybe in the desert they will escape that. So there you go. Then I suspect to do with hay fever.
Speaker 3: I was about to make that same point. Yeah, I had them down for eighty two, so I was close to Darius. I like some of the pitching, especially, I think that says more about me than that the pitching actually being good. But you know, some of the guys I just like to watch, like the Graham and Yourvaldi and Gore, and then like Jack lights King Rocket might be something.
Speaker 1: But I think I think Jack Lighte is gonna be pretty good. Actually, yeah, I quite like.
Speaker 2: Jack if I'm honest.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but also all of those names I just said somewhat prone, if not very prone to injury, so you can easually see it falling apart two. So yeah, I don't think they're a playoff team, but I probably have them above five hundred, just or around that mark. But yeah, I'm not gonna argue it too much.
Speaker 2: They lost quite a lot, but I mean, looking at them, they weren't they really weren't great last year. The guys they lost. I just I just looked at John Gray, who had a bit of a disaster of a year. I didn't realize he'd fallen quite that far. So you know, maybe maybe it's it's addition by subtraction a little bit for these guys.
Speaker 1: And and what could be better for Vibes than starting Andrew McCutcheon.
Speaker 2: M hm, absolutely, yes, point, what's that?
Speaker 1: What do you accept? Eighty two or is that?
Speaker 2: Is that too rich? It feels like a real push. I can maybe get up to eighty two is a lot for that dreadful, dreadful team. That's just just an average tape, average dreadful and popular awful team. That was very lucky to get to the World Series. Uh, let's play a tiebreaker. Let's do a tiebreaker because that went so well last time we did it. All right, let's do a TIS.
Speaker 1: But we're doing tiebreakers now, right?
Speaker 2: What to explain this for the listeners again, because it wasn't very clear first time as we we muffled the way through it. Uh, we will use a random non regenerator to pick a player. Darius will pick a random stat or pick a stat and then whoever gets closest to that stat for that player gets their their their shout wins. So I'm going to do a random number generation. It will all become clear. This is what we used to do on B teams. So our player is number eight, is one, two, three, four, five, six, seven eight. I know who the player is. Pick a stat, Darius. We're looking for for someone in the lineup again, nother hit her? Okay, and any stat let's do ops last year ops? Okay, we are looking at Evan Carter ops. So I'm gonna say Evan Carter's opia or Christ. He wasn't very good last year, was he? Let's maybe it's better than I thought. Through three twelve.
Speaker 1: Three twelve. Wow, that's slow. Ops.
Speaker 2: Oh so sorry, Okay, I thought you said obp okay, ops, let's go. Let's let's go for around five hundred, five hundred.
Speaker 3: I think it was bad, but not that bad. I'm gonna say six ten.
Speaker 2: Am I also guessing heroes, this just between you two. Yes, you've got a guess too.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Whoever's closest gets the Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's the pick I think he got. He was hurt most of the year, so he probably wasn't as bad as you think. But you also didn't do very much. But I think it was six eighty. Put it's terrible.
Speaker 2: Go on what we got then, oh, maybe I can find him. This is this is where it's really seamless. Then you see it's really smooth, and we go straight to it and it's you know, b tam shenanigans.
Speaker 3: We've never put up of this usually.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's it worked better way when Russell Steve Veto's and everything, didn't you we had, we had all sorts going on. I've now even forgotten who was looking for. I've just accidently looked up Chris Carter rather than Evan Carter. I can tell you his his ops wasn't great at all last year. Oh okay, fine, it was better than we thought. Twenty five. Oh ps was seven twenty eight. I did not think he was that good. Okay, But I mean that means Darius, you had the highest one, didn't you? So you win? And you said eighty two?
Speaker 3: Did you? I did?
Speaker 2: So that's do eighty two? Okay, eighty two? It is. You see how seamless that was, Ben It was. It was like magic, you know, like the listeners won't know anything was chaotic about that whatsoever.
Speaker 1: You should have seen Rob's face when I told him we were going to make all these totals that up to twenty four hundred and thirty. It was like a blown his mind. But they never did that on the B Team show.
Speaker 2: We didn't didn't care for the rules. Yeah we won anyway. System I say we one one every year, carry carrying straight on.
Speaker 1: Russell absolutely ragged on the Blue Jays last year. I remember that distinctly.
Speaker 3: I didn't backfire at all. Yeah, I just do the Blue Jays. Now there is a team that did make the World Series last year. If I call correctly yes, to correct my earlier comment, I do think they're going to be good again. I do think that is a very hard division this year, as always, I suppose I think they will be better than the Orioles, but worse than the Red Sox. In fact, let's I'm going to split the difference between those two and put eighty nine. I had them a little bit lower in my own projections at eighty seven, but if we're doing Oriols eighty six, then maybe we give them an extra couple of wins.
Speaker 2: I had ninety, so I'm not I'm in the same bracket as you there. I think there was there was a bit of momentum with them last year, maybe not quite as good as they ended up, but there's no doubt that they are a very good team. And you're absolutely right. This whole division is going to chip away each other and and course and damage. So I had ninety.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like eighteen nine ninety. That seems fine to me. I think they were a little bit lucky last season to get as many wednesd as they did not and I didn't they were a good team. Like the off season, will pen is bad. Don't like the corp ass all, so that could be a problem. Yeah, I think I think eighty nine is fine.
Speaker 3: We should also factor in that they got absolutely boat raced by the Rockies last night and Cody Potts got injured, which.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great that as far as days going, Yeah, you don't. You don't want to see that getting boat raced by the Rockies. It's Do you like how we spent about ten minutes talking about the Rangers and then we've we've we've agreed on the Al Pennant winners in about thirty seconds.
Speaker 3: Well, they're going to be good. That's a good thing. We all agree. Yeah, they're good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, you started that with the Rangers rocking.
Speaker 2: That's you're.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Let's pick a team that we might have some disagreements over. I'm going to take the A's, the Sacramento A's, Yes, John Fisher, I am going to call them that you're right to do.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're going to score a lot of runs and they might allow a lot more runs because the pitching is still real bad. So I think they're going to be like a seventy seven win team, not a lot of fun. Yeah, not not playoff contenders or anything.
Speaker 2: Key editions of Jeff McNeil and Adam Aaron Savali don't really feel you with confidence, but god, I fear Aaron Savali in the summer in Sacramento that is going to get may that said, I think they maybe were a little bit under their expectations last year. I think possibly partly adjusting to you know, using a greenhouse as are the dressing room. But I think maybe there's a little bit of that adjustment period and this is going to come up later again with the Rays. I think maybe perhaps that shock of playing that first year in that park, they kind of get over that a little bit. They understand it a little bit better. The players who are playing there maybe a little bit more prepared for it. So I don't think they're all that awful. I think they're a little bit better than last year. I had them for seventy nine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I felt similarly. I think I had them for seventy I hadn't for eighty. I really want to believe in them, because, like you say, the lineup is really good and it has a lot of players that I like in it. So it feels like they're going to be quite a fun team to watch bat. It's just they're going to be a really not fun team to watch pitch, especially in that ballpark. So yeah, I don't know. It feels like they're kind of a trendy like dark horse playoff team again this year, aren't they which they were last year? And maybe things go better this year, but I I don't want to predict that to happen. So I've got them to eighty. But don't feel strong me.
Speaker 2: What did you have, Darius?
Speaker 1: I said, seventy seven? Okay, seven world class together.
Speaker 2: Let's do that. Yeah, seventy eight okay, Oh, it's my goal. Right. Let's look at the well, let's look at the Cardinals. I've seen a bit of them over the weekend. JJ weather Hot looks like he's going to be good. And that's about all I can say that's good about the Cardinals. That they're fine, They're they're okay, They're they're a little bit less good than okay. I don't think they're massively less good than okay, but they're not uprooting any trees and exciting us this year. But but hey, weather Hop does look good. I'm not gonna he really does look good. So I'm gonna say maybe a sort of seventy nine, seventy eight, they're just a bit under good in a I don't think it's going to be a particularly rewarding division. I think I think middling is what most of this division is going to end up being. So I think they're gonna they're gonna be the bottom end of the middling. So maybe maybe a little bit. Le's maybe he's seventy seven, seventy six. I can't see him going much lower than that. They're they're fine, They're okay, They're not bad. The pitching is a worry.
Speaker 1: I think they're pretty bad. Yeah, yeah, okay, the pitching, I think I think a worry is understanding it. I think the pitching is dreadful. It's pretty dreadful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. I mean their opening day Star Tours Matthy Librator.
Speaker 1: Which, yeah, it's done some like interesting things maybe, but yeah, Dustin May got absolutely shill act over the weekend was ugly to watch, and the lineup is not really like, yeah, I agree with you about weather hot, I think it's gonna be a great player, wins could short stop, and then it's a lot of do we have anything? I think is the rest of the philosophy for this Cardinals lineup, Like, let's just give it a try and see what happens is good bursting. Yeah, Burleston's solid. Yeah, he's a good thing. But there's there's there's a lot of we're trying it out, you know. No, No, Don Gorman can't hit k like you know, it's not happening.
Speaker 3: Again in year fourteen of the this is the year Jordan Walker breaks out. At least that's what it feels.
Speaker 1: I've been burned too many times spent by Jordan Walker. It's still probably like twenty four, isn't he?
Speaker 3: He probably is really young. Yeah, he's twenty four.
Speaker 1: It's twenty three.
Speaker 2: See hey, twenty four season. Yeah, this is what happens when you come up with like nineteen or whatever it was he was.
Speaker 1: Was he twenty one? Maybe he was twenty one ready, Yes, I think it was twenty. Wasn't it because he came up by an opening day or close to it? Anyway, No, I don't believe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had them for seventy. It feels weird predicting the Cardinals be bad because they always seem to be kind of in and around the mix or at least five hundred. But this I think this is the year it bombs out a bit for them, And I think they kind of know it. I don't think they're really trying to compete. This isn't a roster that looks like one that would compete. So so yeah, let's see what happens. Maybe a few of these guys, do you know, break out and you've got something. But I don't think it's the year that they shock everyone and make a run in that division. So I had him a bit lead than you're Robert at seventy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I'm bloom is very much looking at future years. I do not think he is planning to compete.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I suppose they lost Contreras, Michaelis, Aeronado Gray. They was significant what went out. I maybe didn't consider that quiet enough. I can come down. I can come down.
Speaker 1: When do you go to seventy or seventy?
Speaker 2: Ok? No, that's too low. Seventy three?
Speaker 1: Are we playing a game?
Speaker 2: Then? Fine, we can play the game. Let's let's play this really seamless exciting game again.
Speaker 1: Okay, right, break, this is the third time. Now Robbie should be flowing on this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, Hey, Hey, pick me a start. I'm rolling the numbers.
Speaker 1: Are we picking a hit a stat again or Pat?
Speaker 2: That's a good point one, two, three, four. But this is really technical five six, seven, eight nine, nineteen twenty. No, we are looking at for a picture picture any pitching stat Okay, that that be shuld want to pick h Let's do strikeouts? Why not strikeouts? Okay, and we're looking for Jojo Romero. Okay. I quite liked him. I think I had him on my fantasy team last year.
Speaker 1: He pitched pretty well, didn't he. I think he was quite good.
Speaker 2: I think it was quite good. It was quite a good main setup guy for that and he got he got some sayings once they traded Hellsley to the nets as well. He throws, he throws hard, So I think I think it's he's he is a strikeout guy. I think.
Speaker 1: I think he pitched all year. I don't remember him being hurt.
Speaker 2: So let's say he probably got through sixty seventy innings.
Speaker 3: I'm going to say eighty four.
Speaker 2: Feels low to me.
Speaker 1: Wow, you really think he's a strikeout guy, don't you.
Speaker 2: I think he's a strikeout guy. I'm gonna go for for ninety five.
Speaker 1: Wow, I'm going to go for sixty seven.
Speaker 2: For the kids of Churus. I really should have been looking this up last I also did this. Okay, twenty twenty. This is great, this is brilliant. It's not even as if this is a difficult one to find. Strikeout. Okay, yep, he wasn't as good as we thought. He was only fifty five. He pitched sixty one innings of fifty five strikeouts. So yeah, that's that's a Darius win. Again, we were down to seventeen for the Cardinals. So why did I pitch this game? Which I'm terrible at when I'm playing against Darius. This is ridiculous.
Speaker 1: I was all prepared to just do it the normal way, Rob, and then you came in with you my b team.
Speaker 2: Craziness be seen.
Speaker 1: Craziness All right, Ben?
Speaker 3: Did you do that?
Speaker 2: Or did Rob do that?
Speaker 3: Yeah? It's my turn, I think, So let's let's do the Washington Nationals. They're going to be bad, aren't they. Yeah? I know some people think they might be the worst in the base Way. I think the Rockies will be worse. I probably think the White Socks will be worse too, but I don't think they're going to be tearing up trees. I had them down for sixty four, just avoiding the one hundred lost Mark, So I think you're like enough guys that are like kind of interesting. Again, it's a little bit similar to the Cardinals, but worse than the Cardinals, but kind of like seeing what some guys have. We obviously know James Wood is good, despite my protestations, But side of that, it's a bunch of like, maybe we've got something, you know, maybe we don't. Hopefully we see some playing time for Harry Ford, yeah, which would be final though shame he didn't make the opening day roster. And yeah, I think some of the like Joey Vema has been enough to a nice start. What saying that? Like Wema Via anyway, he's enough to a nice start. Like, there's some guys that I think could be quite fun, but I still think, Yeah, I think they're gonna ultimately be bad, especially because they traded away Gore. I don't even know if their rotation has got anyone good in it at this point. So yeah, sixty four for me, and that might even be generous.
Speaker 1: What are you saying about a friend of the podcast, Miles Michael has Ben.
Speaker 3: I love Miles michaelas but buddy, hang them up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's bad.
Speaker 1: Weamer, I believe it.
Speaker 3: Is wema. Is it okay?
Speaker 2: Jerry Weimer him a bit too German, he went, He went on that here.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 2: I was in the same area. I was sixty six had them repeating last year. But yeah, I'm in certainly in the same area for what is a quite bad team off the charts because you know all that cherry blossom. So yeah, it's it's the hay Fever's going to be what what kills them? All Right?
Speaker 1: I'm docking them a point for the hate fever. Rob so and keep the difference. Okay, let's have a look. Why don't we do what you mentioned the ben Let's just do the Rockies. I was I was disappointed that they didn't end up with the worst record last year because they were definitely the worst team in the history baseball. Have they improved a little bit? Yeah, probably a little bit, which probably means they're going to win.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Can we give them fifty five wins?
Speaker 2: Is that is that fair? I think that's bold. Yeah. I had them lowered two. I had them improving, but not by that much that I mean that they had forty three wins last year. That's that's quite a leap. And I mean, what have they added.
Speaker 1: A bunch of random stuff? Yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 2: Have a look. Who's the highlight here?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Who is a Kintana? Yes, the the aging home run merchant is going to do really really well in cause. Yeah, absolutely, I'm not feeling that much. Willie Castro, he was almost good ten years ago. Nope, So no, I'm I'm more on the ben end of the scale of j Well.
Speaker 3: I was going to put the now for fifty, but then I was so impressed by performance last night. I'm giving him fifty one.
Speaker 2: I had fifty as well, so I will go to your fifty one.
Speaker 1: I'm going to go to fifty one. I'm happy to end fifty one. I'm never going to because anybody whoays the lower on the rockets, I will.
Speaker 3: Say, like, I think the new front office maybe knows what they're doing. I'm somewhat optimistic about the long, long, long term future of this team, but as of right now, they are bad.
Speaker 2: You you keep you keep your pecker up that you go, Yeah, absolutely, good luck to you.
Speaker 3: I think is a good baseball player.
Speaker 1: What I will say is it's encouraging that they've actually got and hired somebody from outside the organization. That's that's the thing that gives me some hope that they've realized that they are doing things wrong, because for most of the previous decade it didn't seem like they had realized, and so they just kept getting worse.
Speaker 3: It is hilarious that Kyle Freeland was the opening day starter again. I think he's a record holder for the Rockies now and he's just I'm just gonna do it forever, isn't it getting worse and worse and worse.
Speaker 1: Him and Senseer Teller are just incredible out there, like just out there every week, doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the heroes, heroes for turning up that cheery note. Rob, it's you. Well, let's we we just did Ben, Let's go to mind. I'm going to take the Tampa Bay Rays, who I don't think are as bad as everyone is kind of making out. I think they're the forgotten part of that division, and I alluded to it earlier. I genuinely, having sat in that horrendous stadium last year, think the heat was a major factor for that team. There was also a little bit of social media they did on when they were all walking in saying, oh, what are you looking forward? To much about the Trump. Every single person, to a man said the AC And now I think they started okay last year and they died, died of death as it went towards summer, because I think that heat was draining. I sat in that stadium for two games, one of them was a day game, and I can tell you I have never been hotter in my life. I've never sweat so much in my life. Like I ordered an ice cream and like it didn't make it back to the sea. It was horrendous. There is no shade there, there is no breeze there. It was a hellish healthscape of a place to play baseball. Baseball should not be played outdoors in Florida. It was an absolute no. And it wasn't just hot, it was humid beyond d And I just I think if anybody is trying to play in that game after game after game, that cumulative effect of that it was draining, and it cannot be good for performance of an athlete over the long term. Now I'm gonna say most of them, I would imagine, are probably slightly fitter and healthier and more able towithstand it than me. But over eighty games in that stadium. It was not the way to go. They had to move away from the stadium and the heat in the middle of summer because it was so bad. So I think the Rays are gonna have a bit of a bounce back. I don't think the moves they made her any good. I think getting rid of brand allowed for Gavin Lux was a bit of a disaster move. I don't think there's any power in the team whatsoever other than junior Cameronero. They're hitting brilliant for average right now, and hey, maybe that continues, but I still think they are going to be slightly better than their were last year. I'm not seeing them tearing up any trees or anything, but I am. I'm having them back to evens on eighty one.
Speaker 1: Sounds fine.
Speaker 3: I had them quite a lot lower. I think they're just as bad as last year, if not worse, but with their conditioning. So I haven't done for I haven't down for seventy three, which is harsh, but I just like the rest of the division is really good. I don't think the are like some someone's going to get beat up on a little bit, and I think I think it's the race this year. Like you said, I don't hate their team, but a lot of the good pitching's gone. Mclanahan's going to be hurt soon. There's a few decent infielders like Camonero is fun, but you know, I, yeah, I don't don't see it for them. But maybe I'm being mean. Maybe the AC will have more of an effect than I realized. That's good insight.
Speaker 1: Come to George stein Rederfield everybody.
Speaker 2: I couldn't. I didn't upload it in the end because because it was too much of a hack job. But I sat there and I tried to film some some of me sat there. It was, it was suffering. It was a horrible, horrible place to watch baseball. I genuinely would rather have not gone. I mean, it didn't help that we got absolutely honked twice by the by the the Royals whilst I sat there, But it was it was a vicious, awful place to watch baseball. Had Yankee stuff everywhere, so you know that really didn't help.
Speaker 1: Sounds terrible, so said, so what.
Speaker 2: I mean, we've got eighty eighty one and you're saying lower, So we're going to repeat on seventy seven?
Speaker 1: Will do you go seventy seven?
Speaker 3: Back?
Speaker 2: I think it's low. I think it's low. But okay, I'm not gonna play that damn game again.
Speaker 3: I could skip the time and that Darius Cheers, couldn't.
Speaker 1: We Yeah, I've put in seventy seven. That's fine.
Speaker 3: And right, Okay, we're gonna probably have an argument about this, but let's do the kinds of City Royals. I they're my team for this year. You don't want to hear that if you're if you're a Royals fan, because I'm terrible at picking teams. But I think the Royal is going to be good this year. I think they've got an MVP candidate in Wirre. They've got a bunch of other players in the lineup that I like a lot. You know, mikel Garsia was like the top five of their basement in baseball last year. Paspentino's fun. I think Caglione shows life this year, and then the pitching, if it can stay healthy, big if. I also think is really good and underrated and has depth. So call me crazy, but I think the Royals win that division. I think they win ninety.
Speaker 2: Games, ninety ninety good lord, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I said I like them, and they're gonna end up coming down from that.
Speaker 1: But I just went on, you want to plant the flag? Yeah, I think they'll make it close for the Tigers. I have the Tigers just ahead. But I was on eighty five eighty six for the Morris.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 2: I was slightly lower. I was in eighty three just because of the scarring memory, which just I just explained from watching them in Camper. But I can come up to Darius's level. I can't see ninety. If they've sorted out their outfield to an extent, but it's still a little bit weak on the hitting side. I mean, the pitching's okay, but it's it's not right home about so ninety seems heavy for me?
Speaker 1: Are you are you accepting it in the middle? I do you want to do you want to have a tie for the division?
Speaker 3: Ben?
Speaker 1: Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Can you put them in a tie with the Tigers?
Speaker 1: Fine? I have no strong feelings like I would not be shocked to feel them the Tigers or the or else on the central That would not surprise me.
Speaker 2: We'll get to finish the division, Darius, that's your pick.
Speaker 1: Let's finish a division. I'm trying to think who's gonna be most entertaining to leave them to the last. Who's the least entertaining to leave until last?
Speaker 2: Well, obviously Cleveland.
Speaker 1: It's obviously Cleveland. Let'st of Cleveland. Why why are they here?
Speaker 2: What is the point of Cleveland? Just to annoy us?
Speaker 1: That playoff experience watching that Cleveland lineup in the playoffs was just like this. This front office should not be allowed to continue getting away with this. I hope the Tigers and the Royals just eliminate them from this. And I don't think they'll hang around because it's it's Cleveland. But I'm just going to say eighty one because they're really dull and I don't think they're any good. Really, They'll just you know, Cleveland their way to a mid season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, agreed. I mean Chase the latter is Barry Bonds. So maybe we should advise.
Speaker 1: That they have they have a hitter.
Speaker 2: I'll give them that. That's a good, good improvement. I haven't forgotten. I reckon they're the anti Angels. I mean, like every year we say, oh, this year there's the Angels. They're gonna be good. We keep saying this is the year that they drop off. Then they're not good anymore. They keep doing it, I think they'll be fine. I think you know, they've lost two guys who are throwing balls the wrong direction on purpose, so you know that that's better. So you know, I think you know, they won eighty eight games last year, and I don't see that they particularly got any worse. And maybe the division's got a little bit better around them, but like the Twins have got worse, the Royals and the Tigers probably about where they were. Maybe the rules are a bit better and the White Socks are maybe a little bit better. So okay, I can drop a couple of couple of wins, but I just there's something about them and they just keep finding their way. So I was more like an eighty five win, Yeah, I mean that what was the pithag last year in eighty two. That's the kind of team the Guardians were last year.
Speaker 3: Not a rationalized the Guardians exactly to explain them. So your boy never heard of up being.
Speaker 1: And you agreeing with robbed now then eighty five, Well, no, I still.
Speaker 3: Think they're below five hundred, but maybe like maybe five hundred exactly, which is what I said, like pure mid we found it was that what you said find five years to get down.
Speaker 2: But mark my words, the the Guardians will be better come the end of the season. I'll die on this hill, this really boring hill.
Speaker 1: Just on principle, because they never do anything.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: It's more of a gentle slope. Yes, obviously they'll win the division, but I'm not giving them predy. Okay, rob Oh, Let's talk about the Phillies. I think the Phillies are just getting old, and that really is all that the story is about the Phillies. The Phillies are still pretty good, but you know, the vibes have turned from well, aren't these guys crazy? You're having a lot of fun to aren't they a bit weird? What's going on with all that blood play? That's not okay? Yeah, it's all got a bit strange in Philly. I think a lot of people, I think a lot of the projections you see have their being a bit harsh. If I'm honest, I think the they are going down. They're They're not the team they were over the last couple of years. I think they've kind of almost missed their peak. It is done, but I don't think they're dropping off that much. They've still got some good players in here, So where do I have them as I had the Phillies if we work out which division are in drop they were ninety six wins last year. I'd been down to ninety this year, Like that's a big drop off considering they haven't lost that much from this team. So yeah, ninety wins from what was a ninety six win team and I'm I'm that's me on the Phillies.
Speaker 1: Still good when you accept this slander against the Mets.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't have them winning the division, but then I don't think I realized that they won ninety six games last year. That it's a lot of games, isn't it. But then I don't know. I feel like it all kind of went right for them last year, like all the old guys stayed mostly healthy, the rotation had a career year from some chairs. Wayne of Suarez was there, he's not there anymore.
Speaker 1: And also at Lantern the Mets were completely useless and collapsed, which helps.
Speaker 3: It was fully healthy. We have no idea what he's going to be when he's back from injury.
Speaker 2: He's exactly going to be tearing it up this year? Are they with no pitching? You know that's still that's still a factor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. I had him splitting the gap with eighty seven between the Mets and the Braves, that that might be too harsh and my Mets bias might be blinding me. There.
Speaker 1: Well, Robin players game again?
Speaker 3: So where did you have them, Doris? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I have them closest to where we have the Mets, certainly. I think it's tossed up between those two to the division, I think ninety not million miles away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's give him eighty nine. I think we can't predict the Mets to win the East again.
Speaker 1: Okay, there we go. We're giving them nine.
Speaker 3: Did we even do that last year? I don't know. I predict it every year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know if we last year, but it's entirely possible.
Speaker 3: Ben.
Speaker 2: That was me, so right, yeah, Ben, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Let's do I still want to take the Yeah, I don't take the pirate. So see, the Diamondbacks I had sort of a bit stuck in baseball purgatory, aren't They were like they're like good enough to always be like, oh this is be a bit different for the Diamondbacks this year, but not really good enough to like ever compete with the Dodgers, so sort of like, will they be good enough to compete for a wild card? I tend to think yes, I don't know if I'll actually get one, but I have them in that like eighty five ish win range about the same as the Padres. You know, the lineup has the potential to be good. I think it kind of always seems to be good no matter who's in it. But they just seem to be good at producing runs. They're not always so great at getting out. But yeah, this feels like a year that they kind of do what they've done tick along with Yeah, eighty five eighty six wins, compete, but not really good enough to be, you know, a proper contender or with the Dodgers. Doesn't fill me with optimism. That no Arnado is getting at that's there. I love Nolan, but another guy who, yeah, should not be getting at that's for a serious team. Yeah.
Speaker 1: They got some some real obvious holes here, haven't they. First base is a problem, third base is a problem, The rotation is a problem. I think they're worse than the part Rads in the Giants area in the low eighties.
Speaker 2: I would say split the difference from me, So let's can we can we eighty three them?
Speaker 3: Can?
Speaker 1: I you shreedom.
Speaker 2: Definitely going to have something, So maybe maybe that's where it will go. As saying, we've been very we've been very conservative so far. Unless somebody loves the Pirates, I'm going to take the Pirates. Don't take the don't let don't let the l Yankees have the go last. No, please, we haven't on the asterisk? Good fine, lovely, Well that's fine.
Speaker 1: We can leave them, so maybe we won't have any left. We'll see how OOPSI sick we are the Pirates, Like, I just don't trust them to do anything right, even if they're good. But they're just not going to spend any money, are they Like they're like, oh, we really tried this offseason and what they do They signed like Ryan O'Hearn, who's it's fine, Like it's a fine player, but yeah, I don't surely yeah, but I mean, yeah, they have arguably the best starting pitcher in baseball. Well they can all his first start that was a bit.
Speaker 2: Of the fleeing. He didn't finish.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the young, the young starting pitching is really exciting, and presumably we will see Connor Griffin at some point, hopefully a point that's like not too far in the future, but is the Pirates. So I don't want to like make any guarantees. But the rest of the lineup is is pretty bad. The Low deal was good. Sorry lao low, Yes is loud.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's low. That's the Lao, not the Low. But I think they're still like a you know, seventy six twenty I had seventy seven.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's fine by me.
Speaker 2: I think people are a little bit too high on the mills.
Speaker 3: I really do like their pitching, but yeah, the lineup, it's just there's not a ton to be excited about. Unless Griffin turns out to be amazing, which he might.
Speaker 1: I think he will be very good at some point. But yeah, do they try Do they try and surround him with any talent at all? If it comes to the deadline and they're like moderately unit is well, nothing going to say, let's spend some money. No, no historical reason to believe that is there.
Speaker 3: I have to spend money. They've got Ryan and her mate.
Speaker 2: Yeah there we all right, right, mean, isn't it? Yes, Well, I'm going to take the New York Yankees, and they're pretty good. I don't think we can say that the Yankees are going to be awful. It's a bit of a reliant on the likes of gian Carlo Stanton staying healthy, which is a fool's errand of course, But I mean, they were good last year, they'll they'll be good this year. I think they had a bit of bad luck last year. They haven't done particularly much. I think just for a bit of reversion to the mean, I reckon we'll see a ninety two win team. They'll be right up there with the Red Sox to revitalize the old old classic rivalry. Yeah, I had them right in the same range as the Red Sox. I think it will be pretty close between them. I'm happy to go with ninety two.
Speaker 3: Ben Yeah, I think that makes sense. I probably have the rest sort of take ahead, so maybe more than the nineteen ninety one range. But like that's yeah, I'm not going to squable over one or two wins. They're just a really good, deep team that it's hard to see how it all goes wrong for them like it has in the past. I hope I'm cursing them by saying that, But a lot of yeah, just a lot of really good hitters throughout the lineup, depth and the pitching. At some point, hopefully Gerret holes back, Like I yeah.
Speaker 1: I think Carlos John to come back again.
Speaker 2: It looks great. Want to come back really great.
Speaker 3: It looks unbelievable. Yeah, Freed has been a revelation, well not revelations. He's been good, but like he's done everything they could expect. So yeah, I think that's.
Speaker 2: Fair good tea. Yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: The question Ben is do you want to give ninety wins to the Houston Astress.
Speaker 3: It's yeah, I don't.
Speaker 2: You don't know.
Speaker 3: I think I'd probably higher on them than you guys are, or maybe the Consentus, because I just it's one of those teams where it's like it feels icky to be like the Astros are bad now because they've been so good for so long. But the like writing was on the wall a bit last year you could see the cracks appearing. There is an aging lineup and you know, their best hitter your now Rez can't stay on the field, and the pitching has got cracked to the back of the rotation, maybe even at the front of the rotation too. So I haven't done for eighty five, which I mean, it's not a bad year by most teams measure, but I think for them it'd be a slight sit back, and I imagine that might even be on the high side for what you guys have got them down for.
Speaker 2: I had eighty four, So I'm exactly in the same kind of way, same place as you. You know that they are getting it older again. You know, they've they have slid slowly, but not not disgustingly disgracefully from from the dominance, and you know, with the you know, angels A's Rangers division, there's still plenty of wins to play for for them, so they're still going to be towards you know, they'll they'll be talking about the wild card come come September if they don't even quite get there. So, yeah, I had them on eighty four.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm okay with eighty four. It's not the Astros evolved. I think they've got a lot of cracks, but they've still got some very good players as well. And I don't think you know, this division is crazy good. I think that's going to be some free wins to be had, So I'm okay with eighty four. Four, Okay, six wins. It's pretty good, pretty well one of our better efforts, I think.
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean so me. It's immediately two on the rays. Do you want two?
Speaker 1: Two on the Rays?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they're better than seventy seven. We're saying that the Rains are only one game better than the Pirates.
Speaker 1: Come on, fine, two on the Rais.
Speaker 3: I'll trust Rob on this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the eight factor.
Speaker 1: You've appealed to my anti Bob nothing sentiments and one.
Speaker 2: So I think possibly that NL Central, top of the NL Central may be a little bit light. We've got the you want more nineteen Brewers on eighty four? A win or two and one one each other? Think it's probably about right?
Speaker 1: Okay, well good, I'm happy with one on each of them.
Speaker 3: I think the Brewers will be better than that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Do you want to put another one on the Brewers?
Speaker 3: Ben? I probably would.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think I think a wild card team right? Six?
Speaker 2: Okay, I can see eighty six for the Brewers that that's not not crazy. If we have one.
Speaker 1: Do we want to break a tie?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll flip flip a coin between the Tigers and the and the Royals. We'll play one more tie breaker play one more?
Speaker 1: Shall I? Shall I run the tiebreaker and you two have to guess and then Robert have to look up and down.
Speaker 2: But yeah, fine, it's a tiebreaker.
Speaker 3: Yeah, any time my wins.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, that's that's a good point. What if we tyebreak we both have the same answer. I'm tie breaking for the for the tie, I reckon the Tigers are better, and.
Speaker 1: We know Ben thinks the Royals are better.
Speaker 3: For the Royals, this is it the fate of the al centrals in our.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're Central's in your hands. Okay, I've got a player. It's a hitter. Does I don't know who wants to pick a stat? Somebody pick a stat.
Speaker 2: Home runs, keep it nice and easy, home runs.
Speaker 1: I want to know how many home runs did Michael Garcia hit in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: He was quite good.
Speaker 3: He was really good. I don't think he had crazy power though. Okay, I'll go in the twenties.
Speaker 2: I was going to say that that sucks, like I'm just copying you, okay, which we write down on numbers so that we can't be accused of.
Speaker 1: Write down a number so nobody can over run there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, papers, So I'm gonna have to note ap it like I'm apologize to it.
Speaker 1: This is great podcast content. Yep, just phenomenal.
Speaker 3: Can I make this text any big?
Speaker 2: Please please play along at home every as well. Write down your answer. I won't see them, but just vindicate. You'll be vindicated when you get it right. We pick a tiger and then we have to go with that guy instead of the same the same category. Right, yes, many go four yep, twenty four.
Speaker 1: Incredible.
Speaker 2: Pickause a random tiger, Darius, So you guys.
Speaker 1: Are too optimistic and Michael I said, I hit sixteen home runs. He was very good, but not because he hit not because he hit a lot of home runs. A random tiger also home runs for tigers.
Speaker 2: Yep. If there's a picture, we're going to draw again because it will be zero, will be zero.
Speaker 1: Well done, that's good. I want to know how many home runs did the actually named Dylan Dingler hit Dingers from Dinger.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: I feel like there was hype about him, but he didn't quite him up to it.
Speaker 3: Could maybe it look stupid.
Speaker 1: That was the point of this game. I can't believe, can't believe the al Central is riding on. Who knows how many home runs did and Dingleer here.
Speaker 3: You ready, Okay, I've got my answer. Yeah.
Speaker 2: See the answers seven from Ben twelve from The correct answer is thirteen congract No, congratulations, destroy Tigers. That's the first time in four years I've won one of these. That the winners of the AL Central in twenty twenty six. Sorry Royals, better like next year.
Speaker 1: I hope you send a handwritten an apology card to Bobby Witt Junior Ben for this travesty.
Speaker 3: Damn you Dingler.
Speaker 1: So there we have it. We're done, We've finished. I can I can read the titles out because people who are listening to this as a podcast will not actually be able to see any of this. So in the NL West we have, in a shock decision, the Dodgers winning ninety eight games, Padres eighty five, i'ming back to eighty three, Giants eighty one, Rockies fifty one, and our Central Cubs ninety one, Brewers eighty six, Reds eighty three, Pirates seventy six, Cardinals seventy and the NL East Phillies eighty nine, Mets eighty eight, Braves eighty five, Marlin's seventy three Nationals sixty five L West Jerry Depoto's Seattle Mariners eighty eight wins, the Astros eighty four, Rangers eighty two, six seventy eight, and Angels sixty four. The Ale Central as you just heard, the Tigers are winning the division with eighty eight, Royals eighty seven, Guardians eighty one, twins seventy and White Sox sixty six. And finally in the Al list, we have a tie again. Will the Yankees lose out? We didn't actually decide the tiebreaker, but both the Red Sox and the Yankees on ninety two wins, the Blue Jays at eighty nine, the Areas at eighty six, and the Rays at seventy nine.
Speaker 2: There we have it. Those are the totals.
Speaker 1: Bob, you did say that you have some bold predictions that you wanted to get offs concluded.
Speaker 2: Okay, what so I've got I've got four Someone's going to accidentally trigger a challenge, so you know, they're just someone's challenge that and it's going to be a ball by a mile or whatever. Yeah, so accidental challenge, a fire, will delay, cancel on, be notably visible in the game. I'm thinking, you know that's got White Sox written all over it. The Rockies All Star didn't start the season on the roster, I reckon and last year I've written down here mascot sex scandal? Is that what you will?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I don't want to delve into that one anymore. And who will the Rockies All Star be that? Who is not on the roster.
Speaker 3: At the moment, not currently on the roster at that on the.
Speaker 2: Active twenty six man as well? I mean who the twins going to DFA.
Speaker 3: Did? Did Mickey Moniac? He's not the I l because if he did, then he's probably the one, isn't he I think he did? Yeah, so Mickey Maniac, he might be right on that one.
Speaker 2: That'd be interesting.
Speaker 3: I'm going to say, yes, sex Scandal has got mister met written all over it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he does look like an offender.
Speaker 3: Well exactly.
Speaker 1: You heard it here first. Yeah, I could buy the Rockies one. Mickey Mania might be their all Star? Who else? Is it good Ran? I suppose isn't it the GA? It was it was good Man last year?
Speaker 2: Right? Was it last year?
Speaker 3: It was good Man?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Good Many Actually kinds of easy position to get in, isn't it good player? If you hits and he does?
Speaker 2: So there we have it.
Speaker 1: The predictions are in the book. We only slightly cheated this year, and I don't think it actually influenced many of our expectations at all, So we'll be fine. We've not cheated. We've not given the Angels loads to wins because Mike Trout's healthy, even though Ben wanted to, and.
Speaker 3: We gave ourselves a bit of a head start by watching the first three games of season and then doing this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I don't. I don't think it changed my opinion about anybody at all. But then I don't like to be rubbish, But now that that did change my mind, Ben, Ben did give the Rockies an extra win because they they won a lot. You know, that's that's a lot when they get fifty wins. I'm going to remember this. I'm gonna blame you, Ben for us not getting that total correct.
Speaker 3: That seems that I've been carried away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: That is the end of the prediction extravaganza. Thank you everybody for listening. We will often be back soon with content about the actual baseball season that's happening right now. Lots to talk about abs. We'll be watching out for those accidental challenges and much more. Until then, we will catch you next time.