Speaker 1: Hey, thirty three Friday Eve, It's that time. I always look forward to this time on the fifty five Case Morning Show because I get to and I'm honored to be able to have them on the program. My heart. Media aviation expert Jay Ratliff, welcome back, my friend. Love having you on the show.
Speaker 2: Hey, the honor and pleasure is mine. Believe me.
Speaker 1: Well, you know I'm going to take you a different direction. I got a list. I know what your list is, but it doesn't mean that option for the curveballs. I say it was in the status dude with this morning, they had to turn another flight around after two hours over the Atlantic. Someone I guess got into a bout of explosive diarrhea, creating a medical conmergency condition or at least a biohazard condition on the plane, requiring them to turn around after two hours of flight back to go to New York City for an emergency landing. That just is just a terrible situation. I don't know how you can get around that, though, Well you.
Speaker 2: Can't, but you've got protocols. Because we're dealing with hazardous materials, We're dealing with something that is not a disruptive passenger from a behavior standpoint, that you can secure in a seat, not dutt table, though we used to do that a lot. This is something that requires the crew to say, find the closest airport, and if you're over the Atlantic and the closest airport is the flight airport you took off from two hours back, that's exactly what you do. And you just you know, everything is handled in a very precise way so that they make sure that, you know, passengers are impacted as little as possible. Obviously, if you've got a flight that's not completely full, the flight attendants have a way of moving passengers around to try to distance them from whatever areas might be affected. And you know, it's a rough situation. But you know, when you look at the fact that globally we might have eight million people a day flying, and we look at the number of these kinds of stories, it's amazing to me that more of these types of stories, maybe not this specifically, but behavioral stories and people that might pass away on a flight or whatever, that we don't have greater numbers of those because we would hear about them immediately. Because these stories go viral before the plane even lands.
Speaker 1: That's a good point. Welcome to the Internet, Jay Ratliff, let's paust one and bring it back. I got one more to three direction before we get to the luggage article, which is a rather funny story as well. So lightning things up as we close out. You ever been in a cockpit before? Jay ratlif As, He's an art media aviation expert. He's pilot. It's also a savvy investor, no trader, traders.
Speaker 2: Investors the by holding free crowd. That's a friend of mine last week told me that ten years ago he bought United Airline stock at forty four dollars a year, really thrilled at it at the time. Ten years later, brand that stock is priced at forty three dollars in eighty nine cents a share. He's not made a single penny. And I told him in that time, I mean, I've used you. I did a couple of times during those days to make several thousand dollars in a day. But you know what, my students and I do are more of a trade traders versus investors. I just wanted to know.
Speaker 1: I know you're right, and I do know that, and I should have more properly stated it. Is it right?
Speaker 2: That's okay.
Speaker 1: Day trade fun, isn't it it is?
Speaker 2: Orjratlift dot comments how people around the world. I mean, we've got students down in Asia, Europe, South America, all over the United States. We have a lot of fun and it's as long as they followed the rules. In fact, I got an email from a guy this morning in pre market. He had twelve percent on one stock. He's off to the driving range, going to go play golf day over.
Speaker 1: So that's what it's all about.
Speaker 2: Just you take if you follow the rules, yes, but if you jump into it and don't know what you're doing, it can be horrific. And that's one of the reasons you need to learn before you do anything.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, you teach people how to just be satisfied with the moment, take the money you got and get the hell out and be happy with it, because quite often in a short period of time you can make a week's worth of salar. You just don't want it to sit there for a long time and think you're going to ride it up a lot higher than wherever you are.
Speaker 2: Anyway, by the way, you and I've talked about that, and you can be incredibly good at what you do.
Speaker 1: Yes. You you teach people that all the time. So a free plug for you. And I'm happy to be able to do that. And I just noticed other drunk people on planes. They caused so much problems. We got this idiot who has blastered out of his gore to try to break into the cockpit of a jet easy Jet flight going from London London Gatwick Airport in the UK, forcing it, of course to have to divert. He also tried to open an exit door. You know, it's people like this who are going to end up having alcohol prohibited on airplanes. Jay, Well, you know.
Speaker 2: And that comes up because look, we had another alcohol related event on American Airlines flight going Milwaukee to Dallas had to divert to Tulsa because this was yesterday or day before because the guy was vaping on the plane even though he shouldn't. Then he started chasing a flight attendant around and alcohol was involved here. And I've had many people say, Jay, all airlines have to do is to be alcohol and then we can elimitate and eliminate those problems. Some are saying all airports have to do is eliminate alcohol and we can avoid the problems on board the plane, because a lot of people will get on the plane, you know, with several drinks already consumed. The issue with it is, though, and the bottom line remains, it's a revenue source for airports as well as it is for airlines. And an airline would say to us, look, if we have one situation out of two hundred and twenty five thousand passengers, right, and they're not super violence situations, just things we have to respond to the revenue that we can create through this, plus the idea that alcohol can help some of our passengers who are anxious flyers.
Speaker 1: That's where I was going a little bit. That's where I was going. It would be worse without alcohol because everybody who needs a cocktail to get one.
Speaker 2: That on an advertisement, I can promise you that. But the bottom line is it's a revenue source and airlines are not going to mess with that.
Speaker 1: I understand that all day long. All right, let's go over to the luggage. You get a little pro With fishermen.
Speaker 2: We had thirty of them coming back from a very successful fishing trip and Brian, they had two thousand pounds of freshly caught halib it that was in all of their they were probably in the styrofoam containers. That's what they tend to do. And you can put up to five and a half pounds of dry ice in there to keep it from spoiling, and no more than that. And remember dry ice is a hazardous material. Can only be in check luggage. You can only do it when you are in essence, well not check luggage only, but the ideas you have to declare it at the checking point so that the airlines know that you have it and when they check it to make sure it's no more than what you have. But the problem here was when these thirty fishermen got back from this successful trip into Seattle on the last airlines, their bags didn't arrive, so last airlines couldn't find the fish. And of course, you know some of them are thinking, hey, somebody stole our fish. Yeah, you've got you've got crooked agent and all this kind of stuff. Well, the dry ice is going to buy you about eighteen to twenty four hours after that your toast. And believe me, I have removed bags off of airplane that have had fish in them that were many days delayed. It's just it's horrific. Can't get the smell out of your nose forever. And I don't know what you do with the clothesing there, but these guys finally, the last airline said we located the luggage. It shows up days later, and of course all the fish is spoiled. So they complain and Alaska Airlines, because of their conditions of contract, Brian, they're not required to fully reimburse these fishermen. But to Alaska Airlines management credit, they said, look, we're going to reimburse you, and we're going to get you two thousand pounds freshly caught hal of it now thirty six dollars a pound. Holy cow, seventy two grand is what it cost them. And when you recognize airlines make on ames stick flight a few hundred dollars at least at most on a passenger and profit, you're talking about them giving up the revenue from at least a full plane or plane and a half. That is, airlines do not make a lot of money on flights. The fact is they have each aircraft running, you know, so many times they have five hundred a thousand departures a year, and you add a little bit of profit over all of those, and it adds up to some significant gains. So this wasn't something that was maybe easy for a Last Airlines to do.
Speaker 1: And if they didn't, anyways, props to Alaska's earning some good will off of that one. I doubt they're going to repeat that performance. I'm sure they'd much rather say, hey, listen, you know there's no guarantee your bag going to arrive on time. The bags do get lost, and if you've got raw fish in there, we're not paying for it. But in any of that, we got.
Speaker 2: Another spacule, products or not, and you're right, goodwilles it goes a long way. We had a country singer one time that was traveling with his guitar one to take it on board, could not. United forced to him him to check it and he was screaming, no, did it? Anyways, United broke it and they wouldn't fully replace the value of the guitar. This guy wrote a song United Breaks Guitars. You go to YouTube and look at it, thirty or forty million views. Yeah, sometimes doing what's right would prevent some of those things from happening. United Breaks Guitars.
Speaker 1: That's a good video, that's great.
Speaker 2: Well, he names names in it.
Speaker 1: Oh, really good. That's awesome. Now he's going to garner a bunch of more video views now that you mentioned on the air jay. Now what about I know the airlines are very liberal with their dress codes and policies, and men can wear dresses if they're flight attendants and all that kind of crap, But I guess you're not allowed on a Delta flight with the Donald Trump shirt.
Speaker 2: Well, if the Donald Trump shirt is flipping everybody off with both hands, yeah, that could be considered offensive. This happened in Sarasota, Florida. There's a guy that's wearing this image of Donald Trump who's just flipping everybody off with two middle fingers up and the Delta agent kind of pulled him off to the side said, look, we've had some people complaining. They probably hated Trump anyways, it was their excuse, but they said, look, you're going to put another shirt on, or just turn it inside out until the flight's over and then turn it back and we're all good. So DELSA was trying to do what they should have done, and they were totally within the right here, because if I've got a passenger, if I've got a shirt that says f you or whatever on there that is explicit that other passengers could find offensive. No political discussion here, but just offensive or not. The airline is within their right to say, we're gonna have to ask you a change. If you've got a supermodel that's wearing a thong bikini, the airline is going to say, you're going to put on more clothes, because again, some people they find that offensive. If somebody's not taking a bath in three months. I'm not saying I would, Brian. If somebody's not taking a bath in three months, yeah, people could find that offensive. You're not going to get on the plane. Somebody's had too much to drink. So it's subjective, yes, but it's pretty clear cut that if you are wearing some thing that other passengers could take offense at the airlines are going to say, look, you know, just let's just work with you to try to make something happen. And of course he gets off the plane and tweets it's a Trump thing. And look, if I'm the Delta agent and I had passengers coming to me on that, I would have the same discussion with a guy. But what happened was he turned it inside out and gets on the plane, and then he's on the plane and turns the shirt back around, and as they're getting ready shut the door of the gate, agencies come on and then they get him off the flight and becomes a social media viral story. But yeah, again, it's had been just a Donald Trump shirt, that's one thing, but this was something where it was an offensive image to some. And I can certainly see the air now on Delta's position here. Airlines certainly lean against the Donald Trump's of the world big time. But here I don't think it was a bad call.
Speaker 1: Understood. Private company, they can make their own rules. They do not have an obligation to honor your First Amendment rights of free speech. Moving on, while I was in with hubb Delight, So, how's it looking out there in terms of our ability to fly today?
Speaker 2: It can be a better day than we had yes yesterday. Text was getting absolutely hammered. We have some minor delays there, minor issues towards the northeast, but Ryan, I'm using the word minor, so I'm not even gonna mention them. It's gonna be a good day to fly, and the cooler temperature is gonna make it maybe a little bit more comfortable for some people, especially on the ramp. So yeah, I think all in all of today could be one of the better days of the week that we've had to fly.
Speaker 1: All right, it's always a better day a week to talk to you on Thursday, Jay Ratlof I appreciate you willingness to come on the program every week and enjoy our conversations. I'll look forward to next Thursday in another conversation, and of course, best of health, loved you and your better half.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it, my friend. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Take care eight fifty one fifty five Kcity Talk Station