Speaker 1: Doors News Radio seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati, Chip Hard and at it again, no time crossed this morning. I'm kind of fine. I need to take a little break, you know. But he's doing good from him, Yeah, I know. Yeah, if you watch his Facebook page, he's got to take he's got to put up a picture every single time he's in here.
Speaker 2: But enough of that nonsense. Mike Moore is with me.
Speaker 1: He is the editor of Ohio Outdoor News. Good morning, Michael, and I circle back to the last issue of Ohio Outdoor News and big fish Man.
Speaker 3: Oh how about that big nine and a half pound bass caught by a guy Nakron.
Speaker 2: I'd never even heard of the lake before.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, it's a it's a popular one up there. You know.
Speaker 3: I do all those lake profiles on the back page, and I've heard of them Masilla before, and I've done I've done stories on it, but I've never been up there, never fished it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how do you know do you recall how big that reservoir is? Because we're talking, we're talking a big bass for Ohio, you know, something something rarely seen you know north of uh Hell, Georgia for that matter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, no kidding, is almost nine and a half pounds. A guy named Will Loops and he lives up in Akron.
Speaker 4: He caught it. Ne Masilla is a fairly big reservoir.
Speaker 3: Okay, yep, but I'm not sure on the acreage of it, but it's it's a big place.
Speaker 4: It's a big one.
Speaker 1: Will assume he's fished it before, but uh, he was not, you know, according to according to him, he was not a big crank bait guy.
Speaker 3: No, no, And he had never fished this before. He had never fished in myself.
Speaker 4: No, no, he had.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, I'm sorry. He had fished it, but maybe a few times, not very much. And uh buddy buddy of his talked him into going Chiff and uh they he didn't want to.
Speaker 4: Go because it was cold that day, he said, And he said they.
Speaker 3: Knock ice off their their rods and uh but he's sure. He sure was glad to be there when he caught that big fish.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was back in early April.
Speaker 1: So, uh, you know, I can't Ohio's Ohio's record seems to me is like eleven pounds or something like thirteen thirteen. Okay, so really you know that, Uh, that's a good way from ways from thirteen. But he released it, so that's good news and it'll be out there to fight another day.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I thought that was awesome that he did that.
Speaker 3: He he talked about, you know, maybe a kid will get interested in fishing, and.
Speaker 4: Yeah, go out there and try to catch that soccer again.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was just kind of going back and reading your letters to the editor, which I always find they're they're they're definitely fine. So where where's all the I guess the issues coming from regarding uh uh, you know, raising non resident licenses.
Speaker 2: Obviously been hearing some of that and.
Speaker 1: I hadn't really you know, been hearing much, you know, on the street or anything, but apparently people would like to see that happen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, especially the residents.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: I've been getting the letters from a lot of residents who support it. Now, I did have one resident who did not support it. He said it was it was too much, too quick.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: And of course the non residents, a couple of them have written into and said this is crazy and it's it's too high and I can't remember the details on the on the what it they're going to boost it too, but it was quite a jump chip.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so there it is under consideration I guess by Divisional Wildlife and the Wildlife Council obviously. Uh and I at last, at last blush. You know, I noticed that we were pretty close with say, you know, Kentucky or Indiana regarding you know, non resident licenses for for Buckeyes to purchase. So there's nothing, there's no reason it can't be even Stephen you know rec Yeah, yeah, yeah, or you know, they they pay what we have to pay if we go go there.
Speaker 3: I've had a lot of people suggest that, you know what, if I go to Indiana, I should pay you know, whatever that is and that and the same thing.
Speaker 4: They come to Ohio they pay what what that is?
Speaker 3: So yeah, I think it makes sense, and I think I think that's what they'll come to eventually. So we'll we'll see how that shakes out.
Speaker 1: Well, sometimes things don't make sense, but they really do.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's always in the eyes of the beholder, you know. So let's see, let's see, well, let's circle out. You know, I don't have my next issue coming or in my hands. When when will we see that? Okay, Saturday morning right now?
Speaker 3: Okay, Yeah, it's may till next Friday.
Speaker 4: Okay, and we got you know.
Speaker 3: We're talking about what they approved the waterfowl regulations for the fall. Yeah, we're talking about spring turkey and the fall turkey hunt.
Speaker 4: Chip is another one. We should talk about the fall turkey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, why don't we do that after the break?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 1: You know, I'm starting to see a little Moore on that, and you know, on Facebook, my prime source for news, they go there. Actually the only acurate stuff has to do with fishing and hunting and the outdoors. Okay, the rest of it you could just forget. So, Mike, Mike Moore, Editor Ohio Outdoor News, you said tight, We'll be back with more on the Big Outdoors. Home of the Cincinnati Red seven hundred.
Speaker 2: W l W UDO seven hundred w l W.
Speaker 1: Hey, we're back the Big Outdoors News Radio, seven hundred WLW Cincinnati, Chip Hard. My guest is Mike Moore, editor of Ohio Outdoor News.
Speaker 2: Stick around for me.
Speaker 1: A hell of a great day at the Big One here News Radio seven hundred y W l W.
Speaker 2: So, Mike, when.
Speaker 1: We kind of left off, you know, you wanted to get into the the fall turkey season, and I am seeing more comments in social media about the Ohio fall season. You know, quite personally, you know, I think they should just scrap it. I mean, they don't shoot that many birds. But you're seeing the comments, so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, And it's scheduled from October twenty four October first, October twenty six this fall. But there were some Ohio Wildlife Council members who voted against even having a season. Oh so yeah, so they you know, they they don't want they killing turkeys of either sex in the fall.
Speaker 4: They don't want to do that.
Speaker 3: They want to if they do have a season, they want to spare the hens and think I think it makes sense, you know, but we'll see.
Speaker 4: How that goes. There's a lot of states dealing with that right now.
Speaker 1: Well, depending on where you are in Ohio, some of the popular can be can look pretty lean, some for some some for obvious reasons. Others there's just you've got uh, you know, an onslaught of bobcats and coyotes and and things, you know, things like that impacting it. And we'll see what the hatch rate is going to be this spring based on all the rain we've had. But uh, you know, they only kill a thousand birds, right right, it's somewhere around there.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Sometimes it's not even a thousand. It's it's a very low number.
Speaker 3: And one of the council members pointed out that it's mostly deer hunters. Yeah, that just opportunity arises and they kill a turkey.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's absolutely bow hunting, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, bow hunters exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they kill less than a thousand, and but I don't know that it makes sense to have hens in it.
Speaker 4: I never understood.
Speaker 2: No, I I never did either.
Speaker 1: I mean no, I mean, that's that's that's the breeding stock, so to speak.
Speaker 2: There's no ja seriously.
Speaker 1: So how about the next issue, you guys touching on the guide certification?
Speaker 4: Yes, good, yes, we thanks to you, Chip. We got on that and the Angelo that you had on the show last week.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Uh and uh what about that? What do you think about that? Voluntary?
Speaker 1: I well, you know, I understand that the lake Erie Guide uh you know certification uh uh started voluntary, but it's now mandatory. I was involved in a couple of the early focus group meetings before COVID, and then those had to go away. Uh, and then it kind of just uh, I guess you want to call metastasized while we were on you know, on and around other things and lo and behold, and I stayed in touch with wildlife and I participated as a landowner okay, and not my capacity here because I had certain experience is that needed to be addressed.
Speaker 2: So I think it's fantastic.
Speaker 1: I think it'll go mandatory at some point, maybe two years down the line.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: But they're all things, you know, in terms of the qualifications that that really needed to be addressed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's a great thing to uh. Like you said, I do expect it to be mandatory at some point because they've.
Speaker 3: Gotta they gotta get a rain on some of these outfitters, and we're getting more and more every year.
Speaker 4: And you guys in southern Ohio know that bad than anybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it because of the way too, because of the white tails, you know, the big the big white tails, you know. And that that focus group had members of the outfitting community that were in favor of it because it weeds out the bad apples.
Speaker 4: So yes, and that makes a lot of sense, absolutely, Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I'm sitting here, I just got my Wildlife Reports Field Reports. You probably got it too, And this is the recent one in southeast Ohio. You had a guy that was guiding another hunter for turkey and and the client was properly licensed, but the guide did not have a ballot hunting license or you know, or a spring turkey pyermit. So, oh my god, so the get the defendant pleaded guilty in Pike County for for hunting without a ballid hunting license and hunting turkeys without a permit.
Speaker 3: Gee.
Speaker 1: How coincidentally, how often do you think that happens?
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly exactly. I think you know, it probably happens a lot. And these guys they need to crack down, I think. And I have not experienced a bad, you know, a bad situation with outfitters.
Speaker 4: I've never used one. I never used an outfitter or yeah.
Speaker 1: Or or had them set up shop next to you. But you know, I'm gonna send you a commentary article, uh for your consideration, okay from landowner point of view?
Speaker 2: So how best I'd love to have that for How best for.
Speaker 1: People to uh get a subscription and more on Ohio Outdoor.
Speaker 3: New outdoornews dot com, backslash Ohio.
Speaker 4: And it's really real simple.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, people, if you're a resident or non resident.
Speaker 2: It's a great publication to have.
Speaker 1: So ay, Mike, thanks a lot for this morning, and we'll stay in touch.
Speaker 4: Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Ship all right with that hitting a break, Shipart The Big Outdoors News Radio seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati Back in the month. W Hey, We're back the Big Outdoors News Radio, seven hundred WLW Cincinnati. Stick around. Lots of fun coming with Gary Jeff and after that we get a little more serious tongue in cheek with Mike Allen at nine and ken Brew and baseball and that's it around the Big One.
Speaker 2: That's all there is.
Speaker 1: You know, sports, Gerbil, they're an eccentric bunch.
Speaker 2: I really got to tell you that. So a big coincidence happened to me.
Speaker 1: You may or may not care, but I'm sitting at the kitchen, okay, and my wife has a book on the table called sixty Hikes sixty miles around the Greater Cincinnati area, which includes southwest Ohio, northern Kentucky, and southern Indiana. And I look, I look at the h the author's name. I'm going Tammy York. I know that name. I'll be damned, Okay, came from a different place in time, back in back in the day. She started with the Indiana Department and Antwer Resources and Communications, and then came over to Ohio, which is where I met her with the Ohio Divisional Wildlife and Tammy Welcome to the Big Outdoors. And I got to tell you what I thumbed through it. It's a hell of a book. I you know, if I hike in the woods, it's to shed hunt or you know, or for burrell mushrooms or critters, which my kids still like to do, you know. But I mean this is kind of this is for everybody, right, Yeah.
Speaker 6: I wrote the book with the idea that I would be comfortable sending a mom with two kids on any of the hikes, and that there would be some challenges too. So the people who are more experienced hiking there would be hikes that would give them a challenge, and the people who were brand new to hiking there would be hikes successful to them that they would be able to go and enjoy as well.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I mean, now I do like the bird watch, but typically I might be squirrel hunting or something like that.
Speaker 2: But I mean that's a whole big uh.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's a whole big field into it, you know, into itself, and southern Ohio can be some you know, darn good bird watching because of the Ohio Valley and your migration and things like that.
Speaker 2: And so the what was it the Okay, the impetus was what.
Speaker 5: We know who it's for, But what was the empathis to get more people outdoors, because there's so many benefits to being outside, and there's so many benefits to just touching grass.
Speaker 2: So to speak.
Speaker 6: And to make it so it was easier for people to get outdoors. There seems to be for people who aren't like us who grew up outside, there seems to be kind of almost like a barrier, like a fear category to it. You know, it's the little Red riding Hood, the wolf in the woods type idea that it's scary and it's something to kind of be fearful of. And it was to remove that fear from it, to give them as much information as I could about what they're going to expect on the hike, about how long it is, how strenuous it's going to be, where it's located at, what they're going to see along the trail, any of the history along the trail. Both Man made history, geological history, flora fauna history as much detail as I could give them, So it took away that fear factor and made it easy for them to go hike so that they could get some of the joy that we get from being outdoors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, we have some great I guess partners in the outdoors out there, whether it's the you know, Great Park District or odn R or uh you know, private organizations that you know have property for hikes. I mean there there, I mean there's really a lot and you could spend a year just you know, across this part of the state.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's something that's really nice about the Cincinnati area is that, you know, we're right in the center point the eye, so to speak of you know, Indiana, Kentucky, and Ohio. So you have a lot of variety in the hikes. There's a lot of geological variety and where you can go hike. You know, if you go over to Addams County, you've got the Zercees Prairie, if you go down into Kentucky you have conglomerate cliffs that you get with the area like around dinsmore So, there's just so much variety, and it's it's just quite the adventure because depending on what type of habitat you want to see or what type of hike you want to do, there is something within range.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you can go as you know, Okay, I want flat land okay, or I want a little more topography, and uh, you don't really need to have to do what we've got. You don't need a big you know, a huge skill level, or a lot of equipment or you know, anything like that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, a good curtain of shoes will get you a long way on hiking, especially around this area. We're not going to be you know, for the most part, unless you're doing like some of the backpacking trails, you're going to be able to get away with a good puritin is shoes and good pair of socks. I would say, like if somebody's getting started hiking, that's what you need is tenis shoes that have a good grip to the bottom of the rest of the stuff you could add on as you go along, but that's really what you're going to start at is.
Speaker 4: At your feet.
Speaker 6: You know, you can do tills and wow, that's not a good it's still you can go hiking in a T shirt.
Speaker 1: All right, how's the best way to get sixty hikes sixty miles? I know Amazon looks like you know, it runs about sixteen seventeen dollars, so I mean there's all kinds topics.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Amazon, ARII, Rose, Rivers and Trails carries it. Yeah, so a lot of the outdoor retailers, Benchmark carries it. In the Cinititi area. We'll have the book in stock and then of course you can order it online both through Amazon and through my publisher, which.
Speaker 2: Is Key Bright Tammy York.
Speaker 1: Thanks for the time this morning, and that's fantastic, great catch it.
Speaker 2: Up you dood bye, Thank you.
Speaker 1: The big outdoors hitting the break news Radio seven hundred WLW Cincinnati back in a moment. See Turkey season in Ohio ends tomorrow. But let's see the harvest or kill so far as of May eleventh is thirteen and twenty eight birds, which let's see, we're not close to where we were last year, but which was fourteen thousand, three hundred and some chain, so we're close.
Speaker 2: We could hit that. I know.
Speaker 1: Absolutely positive the hands are on the nest, that is a for sure. So we'll just hope that the hatch is really strong this year, and this out of New Jersey. According to Outdoor Life, one Brian Melvin was fifteen feet high in a climbing tree stand holding his seventy two pound, seventy two pound bow, which had to be a typo. It was probably a twelve pound bow. He's waiting for a huge BlackBerry. Knew was in the area, and he took a massive seven hundred and seventy pound record black bear in New Jersey. And you would think New Jersey, okay, the sopranos, okay, smog all that kind of stuff. But no, sirree, they have a black bear population over there. But kind of interested what kind of bow he actually had because it wasn't seventy two pounds. You couldn't even get up a damn tree with that thing, much less pull it up with a rope or pull it back. So Danny get me out of here.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Gary Teffan's next The Big Outdoors News Radio seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: Be safe on the woods and safe on the water, mister big wireless. If you're staying