Speaker 1: This is your wake up call for Tuesday, December third. It is Giving Tuesday. I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app and live at the Anaheim White House for Postathon. Yes, today is the day we've been waiting for, and we hope that you're going to come down and join us because we got a lot of money to raise. It is Giving Tuesday, the fourteenth annual KFI Pastathon is happening now at the Anaheim White House. And of course, Chef Bruno's charity, Katerinas Club provides more than twenty five thousand meals every week to kids in need in southern California, and we can't do it without you, so we hope that you'll come down, say hi, make a donation, bring your pasta and sauce. You can drop it off here. We're going to be here all day, right on through ten o'clock with Moe Kelly. All the shows are coming down. We've got lots of surprises for you. And as I mentioned, Chef Bruno can't feed twenty five thousand kids a week without your generosity. So here's how you can help. First of all, as I just mention, you can come see us. We would love for you to come down and say hi. It is so Christmasy and beautiful here at the White House. The trees are up, the lights are all over, the fire lamps are on, or the heaters, you know, the heaters that keep you warm. In fact, I need a heater by me, but we're inside, so it's probably not a great idea. Here's other ways that you can help. You can donate at KFI am six forty dot com slash pastathon. You can also bid on auction items. We'll tell you about those a little bit later during wake up call. You can also shop at any Smart and Final store and donate any amount at checkout through December eighth, but of course we want you to do it today. And you can also go to any Wendy's restaurant in southern California and donate five dollars or more and you'll get a coupon book for Wendy's goodies through December eighth. One hundred percent of your donations go to Katerina's Club. Again. I hope that you will come down and see us. Bill Handle's joining us at six and of course, the FOK reporter Neil Savedra and then we're going to have a lot of fun here today and raise a lot of money for a really, really wonderful cause. We do have the world continuing. So let's get you caught up with what's happening around the world. Here's what's ahead on wake Up Call. The Hawaiian woman who hasn't been seen since she missed her connecting flight to New York last month, is believed to have gone to Mexico. The LAPD says video shows Hannah Kobayashi crossing the southern border on November twelfth or thirteenth, and there's no evidence of foul play. A law enforcement official says she's an adult and she can choose to be missing. The White House's President Biden did not lie when he said several times that he would not pardon his son. Hunter spokeswoman Karine Jean Pierre told reporters on Air Force One that Biden just decided to change his mind over the weekend. Republicans and even some Democrats have spoken out saying Biden has put family ahead of country. The Dodgers are about to introduce their new picture at Dodger Stadium. Two times Cy Young Award winner Blake Snell agreed last week to a five year, one hundred and eighty two million dollar contract. That's the third highest ever for a left handed pitcher. Clayton Kershaw's twenty fourteen deal with the Dodgers is the second highest, at six o five. It's handle on the news California is bracing for Trump with twenty five million dollars. We'll tell you what that money is going.
Speaker 2: To go to.
Speaker 1: Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The LAPD says the woman from Hawaii who disappeared after flying into lax may now be in Mexico. Chief Jim McDonald says they have videos showing Kobayashi walking across the border at the Sandy Sea dro Coort of Entry near San Diego, four days after she arrived in la last month.
Speaker 3: The investigation has not uncovered any evidence that Kobayashi is being trafficked or is the victim of follow play. She is also not a suspect in any criminal activity.
Speaker 1: McDonald says. The case is now classified as a voluntary missing person. The man accused of fatally shooting his nine year old son in Compton is scheduled to appear in court today.
Speaker 4: Nicholas Jones is accused of murder and child abuse resulting in death. La County Sheriff's Deputy Jacob Sylvie says Jones arrested the day after allegedly shooting his young son.
Speaker 5: Jones was booked at the East Los Angeles Shriff Station and at this current time it's an ongoing investigation, even though they have someone in custody.
Speaker 4: Nine year old Princeton Jones was said by family to have been playing outside his grandfather's house in Compton when he was shot and died. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: Former federal prosecutor Nathan Hoffman is about to be sworn in as La County District Attorney. He beat current DA Gascone by nearly twenty percentage points in the election last month. Hoffman has said he would revoke several of Gascone's directives and vowed, as he put it, to restore the purpose of the District Attorney's office to fairly, effectively and vigorously prosecute those who break laws in the county based on the evidence and the law. President Biden's been criticized by Democrats and Republicans for pardoning his son Hunter on gun and tax charges, but not all lawmakers are continuing their personal attacks. South Carolina Republican Senator Lindsay Graham says it's time to move on.
Speaker 6: The accusation is that you know that he was picked on by the legal system.
Speaker 7: I don't buy that.
Speaker 6: I think he got probably a deal that average American wouldn't get.
Speaker 1: Buddy says he's ready to turn the page on the whole thing. How Speaker Mike Johnson says Biden abused the justice system by pardoning his son. President elect Trump is taking a trip to Paris. He'll be attending the grand reopening of Notre Dame this weekend. The historic cathedral was severely damaged in a fire five years ago. This will be Trump's first overseas trip since he was elected president. We are live at the ana House Anaheim White House for pasta than this year, and hope you will stop by, make a donation, bring some sauce and some pasta. Just come by and say, hies decked out and decorated beautifully in time for Christmas. Get me in the in the festive Christmas mood. Right now, let's say good morning, to kfi's White House correspondent John Decker. Good morning, John, Hey.
Speaker 2: Good morning, Thank you, Amy. I hope you're doing well today.
Speaker 1: We absolutely are, because we are live at the White House. Hey, speaking of the White House, we've got a different one to talk about. President Biden has some work to do before he leaves his White House. What's what's he hoping to get done in the next month and a half.
Speaker 2: Well, you're right, he's got a month and a half left in office. He's got a laundry list of items that he'd liked to get accomplished. I don't know if he'll get every one of them accomplished. But let's go through the list of three items in particular. One is funding weapons for Ukraine. That is actually something announced yesterday by the National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan, a new round of weapons and munitions for Ukraine and their fight against Russia. The second item pressing for some sort of stability in Gaza, of course, that war between Israel and Amas has been going on for quite some time. And lastly, winning confirmation of roughly a dozen federal judges during the Lane duck session of He's actually been successful in winning confirmation of a number of judges that have been put up for votes over the course of the last few weeks during the lame duck session. He's hoping to get about a dozen or so still confirmed. We'll see if that happens, and of course we'll see if there are any other pardons that President Biden announces between now and the time that he leaves office on January the twentieth of next year.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And he's getting a lot of pushback about his latest pardon, or actually his only pardon, about his about his son Hunter. People are saying that one of his legacies now is going to be that he's liar in chief because of saying so many times I'm not pardoning, I'm not partnering, and then saying, oh, yeah, I'm going to partner.
Speaker 2: Yeah. That was, obviously, twenty twenty hindsight, a huge mistake by the White House, a huge mistake by the President in terms of answering that question in that mattery. He could have simply said, you know, we'll let the legal play itself out. He could have said that all the way through the election instead of saying definitively, and he did this on numerous occasions. Amy and as you know, in interviews, you know, anytime he was asked that he whether or not he was going to pardon his son Hunter, the answer was definitive, he said no. And then of course this reversal coming Sunday night, a lot of pushback, obviously coming from Republicans, but also some from Democrats as well. Democratic Governor of Colorado Jared Paulus an example of that, saying, this really tarnishes Joe Biden's legacy and the way that he will be remembered as President of the United States.
Speaker 1: I think so too, because you know, it's one of the last things he's going to do, and like we all have said since the first conviction, we're like, of course he's going to do it. I would pardon my son, you know, I mean, of course you're going to do it. Why not be a little more vague about it, might say, you know, we're weighing.
Speaker 6: It, possibly exactly the definitive knows so many times by both Biden and the White House, I think is what makes it even more kind of egregious at this point.
Speaker 2: Well, that's right. You know, in the past twenty four hours, we've seen all of these clips of every time that Joe Biden has been asked this question every time. The White House Press Secretary, Karine Jean Pierre has been asked this question, and we know that the answers that they gave don't match up with what happened on Sunday night. Now President Biden and his Press secretary they're overseas. They're in Africa. They return early Thursday morning, late Wednesday night, early Thursday morning from Angola, and there will be a White House press briefing on Friday of this week. And you can just imagine what that press briefing is going to be like, Amy, I'll be there. Every question virtually is going to be about the pardon of Hunter, and in fact, that overseas trip right now that he's taking to Africa completely over shap by the news that he pardoned his son Hunter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'm thrilled that you're going to be in the room there and we will look forward to talking to you to find out all about it. After that, John Decker, thank you so much, appreciate the information. As always, we'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 2: Thanks, Amy, have a great day. Talk to you soon.
Speaker 1: Look, Bud, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour news from San Diego. State Senator has introduced a bill to repeal the new emissions rules passed in California that are expected to spite gas prices fifty cents or more gallon. Minority Leader Brian Jones says his bill is backed by the entire Senate Republican caucus in Sacramento.
Speaker 8: Introducing a bill to repeal the California Air Resources Board decision. You may remember they voted at nine pm on a Friday night before the Thanksgiving holiday to increase regulations for the low LCFS, the low carbon fuel standards that's going to drive up the price of gasoleene sixty five cents a gallon.
Speaker 1: If Republicans can get enough Democrats on board to pass, the bill would repeal last month's carbon emission standards, which are expected to hide gas prices by as much as a dollar fifty at gallon by twenty thirty five. A person in Torrance has been fatally shot by police. The department's officers were called to an unindustrial area on Oregon Court last night about an unknown situation. Police say a person was contacted and then the shooting happened, but they didn't give details. Ted Danson has been named the recipient of the Golden Globe's Carol Burnett Award. Danson, who's won three Golden Globes, will get the award during a gala dinner at the Beverly Hilton January third, two days before the Golden Globe Awards ceremony. Viola Davis will also be honored during the dinner with the organization's cecil b de Mille. Award loved Ted Danson, and as I talked about on Amy's On It last week, he has a new show out. It's on Netflix. It's Man on the Inside. It's such a fun show. It's like one of my favorites from for a very long time. I want to say a big thing thank you to the folks at the Anaheim Hilton. The whole KFI postathon crew got to crash at the Hilton last night, or they provided our hotel accommodations. It's an ideal destination for southern California families if you're seeking a staycation. In fact, I ran into somebody in the elevator. They said, we just came for the fireworks, so they're hanging out in their room to watch the firelight fireworks from Disneyland. It's a Disney Good Neighbor hotel less than a mile from the resort and now offering newly renovated guest rooms, with more exciting changes to come in twenty twenty five. Checkout Anaheim Hiltonhotel dot com for current offers. When we come back, we're gonna be talking to a beautiful young woman who's all grown up now and was one of the Boys and Girls Club's kids who directly benefited from the money that you donate to Pastathon. You're gonna love her story. She's coming up next. Stay with us. We are live at the Anaheim White House for Pastathon. It's Giving Tuesday. This is our fourteenth annual event, and you know that we're raising money for Chef Bruno's charity, Katerina's Club, which provides meals to twenty five thousand kids every week, twenty five thousand. And of course we can't do it with you, So here's how you can help today on this Giving Tuesday, We're gonna be here all day right on through ten o'clock with Mo Kelly, so you can stop by see your KFI personalities. We've got John Cobalt, and of course we have, except if you were listening to John's show yesterday, it was John Cobitt. They misspelled his name on the on the auction page, but they fixed that since then. And of course Mo Kelly and Tim Conway and Garyan Shannon and Handle and our Fork reporter Neil Savedra, all of us are here today and would love for you to stop by make a donation, drop off some pasta and sauce. Here's the other ways that you can donate. If you can't make it down, you can go online kfiam six forty dot com slash Pastathan and today only when you go into wild for Food locations in Huntington Beach, Costa, Mesa Mission via Ho or lucun A Neguel, do your regular shopping and say KFI Pastathon at checkout, and fifteen percent of your total is going to be donated to the KFI Pastathon. So you can plan your holiday meal at Wildforkfoods dot com. Fifteen percent of your total when you shop today is going to be donated to the KFI Postathon. Also, you can go to any Wendy's in southern California donate five bucks or more you'll get a coupon book for Wendy's Goodies through December eighth, and when you shop at any Smart and Final, you can make your donation of any amount at checkout. Anything you can give, we appreciate it. It is Giving Tuesday. Here's what we're following in the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The father of a nine year old boy shot and killed in his grandfather's yard in Compton is due in court today. Nicholas Jones was arrested on suspicion of murder Sunday, the day after his son was killed. The Rose Bowls getting an eighty million dollars makeover. The renovation is going to include better eating, a sound system, and a new huge video scoreboard. The first phase work's going to be done in time for the fall twenty twenty five college football season. The rest will be done in time for the twenty twenty eight Summer Olympic Games. A Customs and Border Protection K nine has sniffed out two hundred and fifteen pounds of fentanyl pills hidden in an suv. The drugs were seized last week at the O time a support of entry. The drugs were hidden in rear quarter panels, spare tires and even the doors of the suv. All I can say about that is good. Doc at six oho five, it's handle on the news. A woman who's been missing for almost a month may not really be missing. We'll tell you about that. We got a chance to catch up with a beautiful young lady who knows Brunos Arono very well and directly benefited from Katerina's clubs. So you can see what your donations do. Hey, it's Amy King with wake Up Call on KFI. We're talking pastathon today. We're here with Alandra Bopeo and Alandra tell us how you came to know about Chef Bruno.
Speaker 9: I was about six or seven years old when I started going to the Boys and Girls club and Bruno people come bring pasta to the club that I would participate at. So he will give us pasta before we will go home every day. And then he went to our mobile home park where I used to live at com bring his pasta. And then during like the month of November, he will come with the Chapman students to come deliver turkeys and all the stuff that you know it's needed for Thanksgiving dinner and yeah, That's how I got to know him.
Speaker 1: So you were involved in the Boys and Girls Club. So did you go there every day after school? Yes? And about how many kids were in your Boys and Girls club clubs?
Speaker 9: Oh, well, we got a lot of kids from my mobile home park. It was a good ten of us every day, ten of us from Monday through Friday. But over on the Boys and Girls Club, I would say a good two hundred to fifty kids a day.
Speaker 1: That's great, okay, And I would imagine when you're seven years old, you don't really realize what's going on. I know that Chef Bruno is bringing you guys food and isn't that lovely? But did you as you grew older, did you start to realize that one he was helping out your family by maybe taking some of the food burden off of them and really helping tons and tons of people.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 9: It was actually a funny story. Like one time I had my shoes off for some reason. There was a skate park there and I was changing my shoes and there was holes on my socks and Bruno saw that. The next day he had someone buy me socks from the store, making sure that I have what I needed because back then, like it was kind of hard on my family, especially with the rent that my parents had to pay. Were just him buying socks or even him coming to our mobile home parking give us food to low income families, like it benefited a lot.
Speaker 1: That's so cool. So that was when you were seven years old, and now you're twenty two, twenty one, twenty one, oh not twenty she's still talking. Okay, what are you doing with yourself these days?
Speaker 9: Right now, I am a for Fear at cal Safe Bullet. I'll be finishing up my degree in the sociology in May, so I'm hoping that I work with children. I do want to give back to my community. Right now, I'm actually working as a pre college advisor, So the students that I serve are.
Speaker 1: Low income, first generation students trying to.
Speaker 9: Get to higher education and hopefully I get to my master's so I could become a school counselor.
Speaker 1: Look at you along here. That is so great and I think it's just testament to what this program does. It changes lives. It doesn't only fill up their bellies and fills up their hearts and their minds too. So thank you so much. And that's luck to you. Congratulations, thank you, I appreciate it. That's awesome, pretty impressive. Huh. That's the kind of good that your donations do. It feeds hearts, feeds minds. I get all stappy about it because it's really like it's moving to see how it really just you know, a plate of pasta can change somebody's life, and it definitely did with a laundra. So we would love for you to come down and donate, donate money, donate pasta, donate some sauce. It is the fourteenth annual Pastathon and we invite you to come down. We do have a few people here, just a few, and I think the crowds come a little bit later. But as you just said, one of the people who's sitting here said, it's not the quantity, it's the quality of the people. But we would like to increase the quantity because we want to do a wave before six am, and we don't have enough people for a wave yet. So if you can come down, we would love to see. If we are at the Anaheim White House for Pastathon. Here's some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. One person has been killed in Fountain Valley and at least one has been arrested after or a police chase that ended in a violent crash. The collision happened near Ellis Avenue and Magnolia Street last night. The pickup truck police were in or we're after rather ended up on its side. Several people were taken to the hospital. Police in San Diego could get an increase in shoplifting calls since the passage of Prop thirty six.
Speaker 3: Store owners in San Diego say they stopped calling nine one one after break ins and robberies over the last decade because the same criminals just kept showing up and stealing things worth less than nine hundred and fifty dollars with no threat of charges or jail time. The sheriff for San Diego County says they are ready to hold more people in jail, and the DA's office says they're ready to prosecute more crimes under the new law. The county has already seen a decline in shoplifting prior to the passing of Prop.
Speaker 7: Thirty six.
Speaker 3: On average, the DOJ says shoplifting crime is down by twelve percent in San Diego. Andrew Caravella, ky IF I News.
Speaker 1: Under prop thirty six, people convicted of certain drug or theft crimes could get longer prison sentences. A man from Hawaiian Gardens has been since to twenty five years in prison for selling fentanyl to an eighteen year old who ingested it and had a fatal overdose. Prosecutors at trial said the seller put an ad on the online marketplace offer up for the sale of black tar roofing materials, which was code for black tar heroin. He was found guilty in June. A lot of retailers say they've been offering up steep promotions on their websites and apps to entice people to buy holiday gifts and other merchandise. Big retailers like Walmart and Amazon are also relying on generative AI customer service and search features to make it easier for shoppers to find products on their apps. Sarah Rhodes with Amazon says they also use AI to help their staff. From the palm of.
Speaker 3: Our employee's hand or from a kiosk, they can enter safety suggestions, maybe some operational suggestions that then goes to their leadership to address.
Speaker 1: She says it makes it easier for staff to serve customers when we come back, we'll be talking with Silvano eBay, the VP and chair of Katerina's Club. Silvano, did I say your last name right? Ibay? Ibay, eBay, we'll auction you off. Silvano's next, Who's got a lot to share with us. We are here live at the Anaheim White House for the fourteenth annual KFI Pastathon. We hope you'll come join us. It's Giving Tuesday and you should come out to postathon. But he did it, that's how good he is. We're here live at the Anaheim White House. We're gonna be here all day. Would love for you to join us. We're raising money for Katerina's Club. Chef Bruno's charity provides more than twenty five thousand meals every week to kids in need in southern California. You and your generosity, that's what makes it happen. So right now, we wanted to talk to one of the guys on the inside. Silvano Ibay, not eBay, as I said earlier, the vice president and chairman of Katerina's Club. So today Silvano, first of all, good morning, good morning, and it's a very special day. Absolutely yeah. So let's talk a little bit about where Katerina's club started, and then how much it's grown. Oh my god, twenty five thousand meals a week.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, it's a pretty amazing.
Speaker 10: I remember the first day that has all started back in yeah, April two thousand and five, So.
Speaker 1: You've been here from since the very beginning Sunsday one.
Speaker 7: Yeah, absolutely cool.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it was I remember because I was working over here at the front desk at the restaurant and Berno and Katerina was visiting one of the local boys and girls clubs, and Berno's mom, she's actually my grandmother as well.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I didn't know that.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, she's my Norna. Oh yeah.
Speaker 10: So they were over there visiting the kids, and I got a phone call from Berno saying, tell the kitchen put some hot water on the stove because we're going to come back and make some pasta and bring it back. So I said, okay, that sounds a great idea. So let me tell the kitchen how many you want to prep up for? You know, maybe ten, twelve, twenty. He goes, no, about eighty. I said, why do you mind? So he said, I'll explain why you get back there, So he came back to the restaurant five minutes later.
Speaker 7: May I have a picture of my grandma.
Speaker 10: They're in the kitchen with the big pasta sauce is making it.
Speaker 7: We went back that day.
Speaker 10: We started about eighty ninety kids that first day, and we've been doing it ever since since that day, since that day, every single day since then. It's been pretty.
Speaker 1: Amazing because Bruno always tells the story of what his mom said after, after you guys fed on those children.
Speaker 7: Oh yes, I looked over at him, says but what are your fut men from dinner?
Speaker 1: So just keep doing it, Just keep doing it. Yeah, absolutely amazing. Yeah, So I'm curious because it's it's quite an operation, like it started with feeding those kids, and was it did you say it's to Boys and Girls Club?
Speaker 7: Yes, it all started to boys and goes to can okay, right down the street.
Speaker 1: So how in the heck do you get all of that food because it's is it all cooked here at the White House?
Speaker 7: Yeah, most of it's cookia at the restaurant.
Speaker 10: We have a couple sites that are a little too far away, so we'll provide the passa and sauce. The cook on site first like Long Beach, because we go as far as Hambury, you know, La County's, Orange Counties, but most of it is Cotier at the restaurant. Yeah, and then we have we have drivers and vands that we go and distribute to one hundred and twenty eight sites.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you cook the pasta starting at what time in the.
Speaker 7: Morning, About seventy eight o'clock in the morning, they start.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then you make it, you load it up, you go, and then by late afternoon is when they get their meal after school.
Speaker 10: It depends on the type of day, what day of the week it is, but typically we stop cooking about five five point thirty for the for our last little delivery, and then the restaurant starts up with this dinner service. So daytime is strictly for category's. You start all the kids during the day, them up in the servicemen d and then.
Speaker 1: Fine dining at night. If you have not had the opportunity to have dinner at the White House, it is spectacular, it's so good, and so tell us Silvano, it's got to be a little bit tough, I mean, because you are relying on our KFI listeners you're relying on the generosity of people to fund this. You don't get government funding, right, correct, it's all privately funding. So and you know that now you're feeding twenty five thousand children a week. I mean, what happens if people decide I'm not going to donate this year.
Speaker 10: Well, I have to say it doesn't. I'm nervous every now and then when things get a little bit tight certain times of the year, when fundraising a little bit slow, and.
Speaker 7: It does get difficult. So yeah, it does.
Speaker 10: Wear on me and the crew and obviously Suberno as well. But you know, it's something that we started that we can't stop. I mean, we've we've come this far and we're going to go and we're going to keep doing it and nothing's going to stop us. As you can see now where you know, it's twenty twenty four and we're still still going along and we just celebrated our We're at about ten point five million meals already since two thousand and five.
Speaker 1: That is just crazy. So Silvano, why do you continue to do this?
Speaker 7: Because when I said too, I'm not mess with Katerina. No, No, you can't say no to her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's so cool.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then do you still I mean, you're busy here running the White House and you're the chair of Katerina's Club. Do you get to go out to the boys and girls clubs and still see the kids and see how it's affecting them.
Speaker 10: Yes, not as much as I'd like to, Yeah, quite frankly, but yes, I still.
Speaker 1: It's become this massive operation.
Speaker 10: So yeah, Yeah, I've had a couple of instances where I was able to go to a place where one of the families we moved out of a motel and into a new apartment, and that was a day that I'll never forget. I remember going in and we gave them some beds because they never had a bed before. There was there was a family of eight in one room, and the apartment had stairs, and I remember the kids were playing on the stairs and the kids were they were laughing and just having a great old time and smiling, and they said they never had stairs before, so they were just sliding.
Speaker 7: Down the stairs. Something as simple as that.
Speaker 10: Yeah, And just to have that security of being in your own place, it was.
Speaker 7: It was something I'll never forget.
Speaker 10: And just to see these faces, see these smiles and just see the reaction with these kids. It's it's it's that's what makes it all worth it and things like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when we talked to Laandra earlier and she was talking about how Chef Bruno saw that she had holes in her socks and the next time he saw she had there was new socks for her. You know, I mean, just like, it's the little things, and it's so amazing how you impact these children every single day. And not only are you feeding children every day. You mentioned the Home program, which you've helped hundreds.
Speaker 7: We have moot doubts. It's two hundred and seventy three families.
Speaker 1: As of today, right, And so that is that you guys say, Okay, you're getting back on your feet, but we know that it's almost impossible to come up with that huge chunk of money to get into an apartment, and so you gift that to certain families.
Speaker 7: Absolutely. Yeah.
Speaker 10: Well it's called the Welcome Home Program, And what we do is we'll supply first and last month's rent, any type of moving incidentals to qualifying families. You know how rent is Orange County these days, it's astronomical, it's crazy. And if you're living in a motel and they're living paycheck to paycheck. They can't say enough to do that. So that's where we step in and we give them the assistance to just you know, a hand up, help them, help them get up there.
Speaker 1: I'm so into a hand up. Yeah, it's such a great it's such a great you know, as opposed to just a handout, just throwing money and stuff. It's giving them a hand up, letting them know, yes, I can do it. I just need a little bit of help.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 10: And it's it's been so successful because that's what we do. We support them and it's like you said, it's not necessarily it's not a handout. We just assist the families to be successful.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 10: And that's what's been fantastic with Katherine as Lub as a whole.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Is the is the food and security problem becoming worse? Or are you just so successful in raising money and being able to feed kids that you're able to feed more or is it kind of a combination or do you know?
Speaker 10: I would I'd like to say that it is getting better, but honestly, I don't see that. I mean, you drive down the street, you see how many homeless around the streets right now, and I think it's getting it's getting more of a more of a problem. And we are happy that we're able to help out more. And you know, it's it's we start off with eighty or you know, five thousand, you know, so it's it's an ongoing increase in ongoing help, and.
Speaker 7: It's we do what we can. And I know, you know, we're just here a lot.
Speaker 10: Yeah, we're just here, and you know, we'd like to help out in Colorado, in New York, in Alabama.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 10: It's but you have to start somewhere, and we started with one, yep, and we've moved on to where we are now. So if everyone anyone else can do it somewhere else, I mean, you know, let's help out.
Speaker 1: Okay. So to the people who are getting ready for work, or maybe they're on their way to work in their car, maybe they're on their way here to see us at the Anaheim White House, what's your message to them to get them to get off the fence and donate today.
Speaker 10: Yeah, Well there's a Bruno has a popular saying. He said, it's time to stop talking about it and time to start doing something about it. And we live by that mantra, and you know, anybody out there who's listening, just do it. I don't care if it's one dollar, if it's five dollars, if it's five hundred dollars. The one dollar makes a difference. One dollar service one kid. Yeah, that's all it takes. And if you can do that, if you can drop off a box apasta, a jar of sauce, you're helping.
Speaker 7: And that's all we need. We just need the help.
Speaker 1: Yes, sevano Ibe, thank you so much.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 1: We're looking forward to bringing in a lot of money and a lot of pasta. Here are ways that you can do it. Of course, you can join us here at the Anaheim White House. We're going to be here all day until ten o'clock tonight with Mo Kelly Show. You can also donate now or bid on auction items at KFIM six forty dot com. Slash Pastathon shop at any Smart and Final donate any amount at checkout. Go to any Wendy's in Southern California. All of the Wendy's in Southern California. Donate five bucks or more. You'll get a coupon for Wendy's goodies worth at least fifteen dollars and of course we would love to see you here. It's the fourteenth annual KFI Pastathon, live at the end Anaheim a White House. And when we come back, we're going to yay the Few and the mighty. I love it. When we come back, we're going to be talking to Joel Larsgard about how to money because it is Giving Tuesday and we want to make sure that the money you give goes to the right place, like you know Katerina's Club, where one hundred percent of your donation goes to Katerina's Club. That's coming up next. We're live at the Anaheim White House for the fourteenth annual KFI Pastathon. Listen to the crowd roar, I'm Amy King. Thanks for getting your day started. Hey, we got Neil Sevader in the house. Yippi kaye. He'll be joining us momentarily. Of course. We got handle on the news coming up at six oh five. Here's what we're following in the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The woman from Hawaii reported missing in la after skipping a connecting flight to New York is now considered a voluntary missing person. The LAPD says Hannah Kobayashi can be seen on video walking across the board or into Mexico with her luggage. California lawmakers are considering their proposal to give admission priority to the descendants of enslaved people at public universities. The bill is part of ongoing discussions about reparations in California, even though California was not a slave state. San Francisco's Federal Building has been named in honor of the Speaker of the House of the former Speaker, it's now the Speaker Nancy Pelosi Federal Building. At a ceremony Monday, Pelosi unveiled new signage on the building. She has represented California's eleventh district for thirty seven years. We're just minutes away from Handle. On the news this morning, even Democrats are ticked that Biden pardoned Hunter will be talking more about that right now. Though, Let's talk about money and say good morning to the host of How to Money on KFI. It's Joel Largoscard. Good morning, Joel, Good morning baby. So Joel, it's Giving Tuesday. We want to talk about that a little bit because you are You're our money man, and we want to make sure that when we make a donation that we do give to reputable charities like Katerina's Club. We know Katerinas Club one hundred percent of the money donated goes directly to feeding the children, but not charity. There are good charities, there are some questionable ones. How do we make sure that we're donating to good ones?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a good question, And you're right on the s giving teas day. I mean, you don't want to like throw a wrench in anybody's giving plans or made people think that, hey, giving my money, I don't know, maybe it's not going to do what I wanted to do. But the truth is there are not all charities are created equal, and there are some charities out there who aren't using your money in the way you'd like them to. Caterina's Club, of course, is that is not doing that. And when you actually look up the ratings on some of the websites, the charity watchdog websites, you can see the good that Katerina's Club is doing in actual data form. So I love like the website charity Navigators. You're trying to research a charity and see, well, how do they spend their money, what's going on with this nonprofit? And you can see some of the key metrics of how nonprofits are rated. And so I really like that before you donate to a charity in a moment of compassion, like just go and look up and see. I like the idea. I think we're used to more and more people just donating kind of at the checkout counter or something like that, and there's nothing wrong with that. But I love the idea of knowing where you're giving and knowing that the money is going to do good and giving proactively instead of just giving reactively.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Like you mentioned the checkout stans, I feel bad sometimes when I don't want to donate, but I'm like, it says donating to a local charity, Well, I don't know where that money is going. I don't know if it's a good charity. Joe, what is it like a good ratio? Because we know that there are administrative costs for running a charity, But what would be a good ratio of money going directly to recipients versus what it costs to run the program.
Speaker 5: See, that's a really good question and it's really hard to answer. I just spoke with somebody on the How To Money show about who wrote the book Giving Done Right, and he is, you know, he helps people give well. And he was even he who was hesitant to give a good answer to that question, because it depends on what the charity is doing. And at times you might say, well, it looks like a lot of the money is going to overhead. But there are some organizations that just require more hands, more more people, you know, to get the job done. And so yeah, you might say, well, I want one hundred percent of the money that I'm giving the Counter Ranks Club to go directly to food. Well, there are people who need to administer to the services too. But then again, there are like charities run by celebrities where you look at the metrics and you're saying, wow, so look at what the CEO is getting paid, and wait, the CEO is the friend of the celebrity, and look at how little of the money is actually going to the people in need. So that's where you kind of have to use your best judgment. And the other thing you can and should do, and that I recommend, is if there's a charity you want to give, to serve alongside the charity as well for a while you'll be able to see. Okay, cool, not just like what the members on the page look like, but what are the boots on the ground look like with where my money's going and the impact that it's having.
Speaker 1: Okay, so give, but be careful when you give. And I love that there's the charity navigator that you can go and at least see. You know, up front, this is what goes to administrative this is what goes to the actual recipients of it. And just be smart about the money you give and when you do decide to give, give to Katerina's club one hundred percents going to the kids. We love that, Joel. What we have one more question for you? Would you be better off using cash only for holidays spending?
Speaker 5: Ooh, So that's a really good question, and I think so much of it depends on your personality and maybe your money habits. There was this a piece by a professor from Boston University. I was just reading and he was saying, well, he's a fan of using cash, and I think he's kind of point because we've gotten so used to digital forms of payment and money feels a little stake. But the truth to some money you put on a credit card or you put on a buy now, pay later, it's still coming out of account at some point, and often with the FDC attached to it. So for people who feel like they lack the willpower to stick to a holiday budget, you know, I love the benefits that a credit card can bring and the cash back that you can get or the travel awards. But if it's going to cause you to overspend dramatically and you know, ruin the first quarter or two of your year because you're paying off that debt for months and months to come, then I would say, yes, stick to cash, because once it's you know, the envelope runs out the money that you've stuck in there like you're done. And that is I think a helpful kind of tool in the personal finance tool belt to say I'm switching the cash for the time being just to make sure I don't go overboard.
Speaker 1: So it sounds like kind of everything with your advice, it's you know, be mindful of your money, know what you have, and don't overspend. And for more great advice on how to money, you can listen to joelars Guard every Sunday from noon to two right here on KFI it's how to Money with joelar Guard. You can follow him at how to Money. Joel. Thank you so much for coming on with us as Giving Tuesday, Joel, we'll catch up with you next week.
Speaker 5: Sounds good. Thanks Damy.
Speaker 1: All right, and as I mentioned, it is Giving Tuesday and we are live at the Anaheim White House for the fourteenth annual Pastathon. Yes, the crowd is roaring again. We are few but mighty. Actually there's a few more. Love it. Good morning everybody. We would love to see you down here. Come by, say hi, drop off some sauce, drop off some pasta, drop off some cash, because it all goes to feed more than twenty five thousand kids every single week and we couldn't do it without you. Here's other ways to donate. We're going to be telling you about this all day. There are auction items that you could bid on at KFI AM six forty dot com slash Pastathon. Just quickly mentioning a couple of them. You could go to a Dodger game with Gary and Shannon. You could go to a Kings game with Ding Dong Conway. You could co host later with Moe Kelly with mo Kelly, oh I love this too. Dean Sharp our house, Whisper could come and whisper at your house. It's a three hour exclusive in home design consult Also, you could co host with John Colebelt And I hear that that one's up to like four thousand something. I'm looking at Michelle, but she's talking to Handle. So if you would like to make a bid on some of those great auction items, which of course are priceless and all of the money is going right to feeding the kids, go to kfiam six forty dot com slash postathon. If you can't make it down to the White House, and we certainly hope you do, shop at any Smart and final donate any amount and that goes to Katerina's Club. Also, if you go to Wendy's any of the restaurants in southern California, donate five bucks for more and you're going to get a coupon book for Wendy's goodies. And again it is the fourteenth annual Pastathon. We are live at the Anaheim White House. This is KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles,