Speaker 1: It's Nightside with Dan Ray. I'm WBZY, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Nice folks can ask in the vibes of Nightside for the next four hours.
Speaker 2: Gee.
Speaker 3: Now, all of a sudden, May after sixty whatever, sixty one years after the Kennedy assassination, the FBI has found three thousand more records. Isn't that amazing? Just amazing? Well, thank goodness that Donald Trump has ordered that everything come out, and it had better come out.
Speaker 2: My name's Dan Ray.
Speaker 3: That has been sort of one of the most important events in the lifetime of all of us who consider themselves baby boomers. And we will probably follow up on that tomorrow a little bit, but maybe we will finally get an answer as to what really happened in Dallas, Texas on November twenty second, nineteen sixty three. My name is Dan Ray. I'm the host of Nightside. Rob Brooks, the producer of this fine program, is back in broad Cast Central, all set to take your phone calls, but not until after nine o'clock tonight. We will talk about that decision by the SJC today to deny Karen Reid's appeal that her case should have been handled differently. We'll talk with Attorney Phil Tracy. I think the State Supreme Court missed the forest for the trees today. They had an opportunity to instruct judges, to me more diligent when dealing with a situation like the Read trial. That judge, in my opinion, should have simply asked those jurors who came back saying that they were deadlocked, to you deadlocked on all of the counts of the indictment or just on.
Speaker 2: Some of the counts.
Speaker 3: But anyway, we'll deal with that at ten, and then later on I'm going to talk about the USAID controversy and all of that. A very interesting news conference that Elon Musk held today in the Oval Office with Donald Trump sitting at the resolute desk. First, though, we are going to talk about four subjects that I think are particularly interesting. Going to start off with the high incidents of scams that seemed to be happening on social media with us is Framush to Rabbi, a financial expert. Fernush, Welcome to Nightside.
Speaker 2: How are you.
Speaker 4: I'm doing great? How are you?
Speaker 3: I'm hanging in there. I'm delighted that the Kennedy assassination files three thousand more files have been found. Good work for the FBI.
Speaker 4: I'll be listening tomorrow for the updates right in the morning for.
Speaker 3: Well we will say, look, all of us are getting inundated, inundated in our phone conversations, and our telephones ring and are how can we stop this? I thought that the federal government could shut down some.
Speaker 2: Of these scam artists.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm serious, this is this is ridiculous. I had one guy called today. I couldn't even understand what language a guy was speaking, and I basically said, hey, you've reached I'm a police detective. You better get rid of my phone call, out of your rolodex, or I'm going to issue an arrest ward for you, buddy. And I mean you have threatened the guy. I will where he was, whether he was in America. He didn't sound like he was in America, and the connection certainly didn't sound like he was an American. This is insane what we're having to deal with these days. What can we do?
Speaker 4: You're right, it has really gotten out of control. I think the thing I want everyone to know is that this is preventable. I mean, what you did was brave. I don't know if I would have engaged. I think I would have just ignored. But it's really important that we understand.
Speaker 2: All the time. I engage all the time.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, you got to record it. You got to record it next time and play it for us. But I think I think education is really important. Right, So we know that the scams are are everywhere, particularly on social media. So there was a recent study out of JP Morgan Chase. They found that nearly fifty percent of scams reported to Chase by their customers originate on social media. And the scammers are often asking for payments through zell or wire transfers, and so that's the first thing to just be aware of. So when you kind of come across these sorts of ads and listings that your you know, your radar goes up. A lot of the scammed items that we're seeing on social media marketplaces are rental properties, home services, pets, and event tickets like concert tickets. And how it usually happens. The way it plays out is that you'll see these listings that are just too good to be true. The price is really low. You call up a friend, You're like, I can't believe I saw these tickets for you know this sports game, it was like the cheapest eventor scene. That's a red flag. And what's even more is that they will insist that you pay with a payment method that does not come with purchase protection. So the problem there is is if you actually make the transaction, you give them money, then you never get the product, or you get it but it's subpar. Now you're out. You know, however much money you spent on that on that item.
Speaker 3: Well, we have here in Massachusetts lately a lot of people are getting scam requests that they somehow have either parking tickets in arrears or they haven't paid their tolls on the Massachusetts Turnpike. And it's I can't of imagine anybody falling for this, but I do realize that there are people who who want to never want to worry about something, and it plays on people's fears in their anxieties. And that's why I turned it around with the guy today. I wanted to play on his fear and hearings, his anxiety of getting.
Speaker 4: Getted, getting found out. Right, Well, you're absolutely right, yeah, just scare the hell out of them. Yeah, I mean I think you're right though about you know, these scammers banking on us kind of acting in a way that is irrational or does sort of like what they try to do essentially, So let's go through the red flags they try to really, you know, besides the fact that you know, it seems like too good to be true and that's a red flag, like the price is so low, the other thing they'll try to do is to push you to purchase quickly. They create this fall sense of urgency, and as humans, you know, we all want a good deal and we get scared when we find out that like, oh my gosh, this amazing deal is going to go away, it's going to expire. I have to act now, and so we rush to make a purchase, and in the those seconds, we don't have the kind of clarity that is really important in those moments to double check what you're doing, to verify what you're doing. So, if you ever feel like you're engaging with a seller online and they're really pressuring you to pay quickly and specifically to pay in a certain way like through a digital payment, that there is no purchase protection, that is an enormous red flag. And I think if you just know this, if you just know what's going on, I think it's going to make it virtually impossible to get scanned these days.
Speaker 3: I think the way that at this point what people should do, particularly folks who are of a certain vintage, because I think that young people are pretty hip to this. I think they understand it. But people who are baby boomers like me, you get a phone call from anyone, just hang up on them. Don't even engage. You've hit an email if you're on the computer. I just want simple, is that you know if it's if it's some agency that's coming after you.
Speaker 2: Like the I R S.
Speaker 3: Believe me, they'll find you. Don't worry about it if they're looking for you. I mean this, this is insane and I just don't understand why our government can't basically go after these guys.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 3: I know a lot of them are offshore. I know a lot of them coming from Eastern Europe and Russia in places like that. But please, folks, just listen to what my guess for nouche uh To Robbie has just told you. How good folks get in touch with you if if they want to. I don't know, do you counsel with people? Do you have you written an article that you'd like to share with us or direct people too. Do you have a book?
Speaker 4: Oh, thank you, I have books. I have a podcast called so Money. But before we go, I just want to I just want to drive home. Something else that's really important when it comes to how to pay online. If we have time, you got about a minute and that we got about Hey, so really quick, really quick. If you're going to make a purchase on a social media marketplace or online, make sure that you are using a payment method that has purchased protection, like a credit card. You know, these scammers will push you to use zell or a wire transfer, and the issue there is that again there's no purchase protection. Zell is best for transacting between friends and family and loved ones. So just be really careful because this is the part where people really get in trouble. You know. It's you're not in trouble, like you're just looking at the listing. It's when you go to pay and then you pay with the wrong method that's really going to backfire. But as far as resources, you know, I have a podcast it's called so Money. I have many books that I have out there, and also there's free online websites Chase just launched a new free online resource that's got actionable tips for all the things that we've just talked about spotting and avoiding scams on social media. You can go to Chase dot com slash don't get reeled in.
Speaker 3: Sounds great. I really do appreciate it for now. You're a good sport. I joke around a little bit on stuff like this, but I'm deadly serious and I hate these people. I really, I don't hate anybody, but I do hate these people because they are really lower than life, lowest form of human life, that are going to try to scam older people or scam anyone out of their hard earned money.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for your time. I'll love to have you back.
Speaker 4: Okay, You're welcome anytime.
Speaker 2: Thanks Paris.
Speaker 3: When we get back, we'll talk about another problem that I think many of us are dealing with in the last few weeks, and that is the fear of flying. Frankly, the fear surrounding air travel. In light of everything that's gone on in the last few weeks. We saw up in New Hampshire today a small plane that crashed in the Packyardisan people, It's it's terrifying, and we'll talk with a licensed cycle licensed cycle therapist who also has to be a commercial.
Speaker 2: Pilot and also a.
Speaker 3: Very smart woman who I think is going to be able to maybe calm some of our anxiety. My name's Dan Ray. This is Nightside. You're listening to the what we call the Nightside News Update. Later on we're going to talk about did you know the shape of the Earth's intercourse is now changing? And we'll also talk about infertility, a very serious topic for a lot of young couples. Back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 3: Joining us now is doctor MIKAELA Johnson. She is a licensed psychotherapist, commercial pilot and also a relationship strategist known for blending psychology with aviation and of course there have been some pretty horrific incidents in the last two or three weeks dealing with aviation and airline crashes. So welcome doctor MICHAELA. Johnson to Nightside. Tell us a little bit about yourself. I read sort of the extras of the bio, but an interesting combination of activities from being a commercial pilot, relationship strategist as well as a licensed psychotherapist.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: You know, some people might say that I just can't sit still. So it seems that I've always got something that I'm striving for, something that I'm aiming for. And I've you know, been in small airplanes since I was a young kid, and so it was kind of a natural segue, and helping people was something that I always wanted to do. So I don't know how I really fell into books except to say that you know, once you start doing something and then you find out how much you love it, you just keep getting more of it until you realize, wow, I've kind of I've done quite a bit here in terms of what I've achieved, but and you're always wanting it to be enough. But it seems like there's always just something beyond the horizon that you can strive to next. In these sorts of hobbies and life skills, well, I will.
Speaker 3: As a as a I used to fly a lot. I worked in television for thirty one years here in Boston with the CBS affiliate, and we used to travel quite a bit, and you get really used to it, and oftentimes we used in those days get bumped up to business or first class because we were a television crew. Now, traveling by air, at least commercially, is akin to what used to be traveled by bus.
Speaker 2: Thirty years ago.
Speaker 3: People would dress up and you'd have some room and they would actually I can remember flying to New York, flying to Washington short hops, you'd get a full breakfast at eight o'clock in the morning. Now you get a bag of peanuts if that. So, it's not as much fun. It's crowded. The airports are crowded. There are less people there to help you, so that that kind of puts me in sort of an apprehensive mood.
Speaker 2: And then when you do have you know, we went a.
Speaker 3: Long time without a commercial crash here in America. Got to go back, I think fifteen years to two thousand and nine that jet that crashed in Buffalo. But this is fresh in people's minds. You know, how do you, I mean, how do you get on a plane these days and say to yourself, well, yeah, I know it's the safest form of travel, but is.
Speaker 4: It really Well, you know, you brought up so many good points there, which is that the entire system has kind of lost some of the allure that it used to have in the vintage days, right that pan Am days, where you it was an experience to be going somewhere and it wasn't so much about the destination as it was about the journey. And I feel like life in general has kind of taken that twist, right. It's less about our experience and more about where we're going and how fast we're getting there. And I think that in this kind of instant gratification world, we've cut a lot of corners, we've made things, we've tightened things up in such a way where they've lost some of that joy. People used to really look forward to these sorts of trips and now it's like, oh, I got to fly, you know, halfway across the country in two days, them halfway back home kind of a drum exact. And I do think that's a big part of what's contributing to more ambivalence. It did really turn from being something exclusive to being more like taking no offense to Greyhound but the bus, you know, and people do often refer to it as the Tube for just that. But it doesn't stop there, right, every part of the process, from the post nine to eleven stuff, where now you've got a strip search to get through TSA. Not saying anything there in terms of whatever needs to happen to ensure everybody's safety, but just saying it definitely doesn't add to the experience and make it more positive. Nobody wants to take their shoes off, Nobody wants to have the stuff out of their bag. So I think there's already a mindset issue that we're up against. And as a psychotherapist, what I'm always looking at is what's underneath the emotions, right where are they coming from? And so when you look at kind of all of those other pieces combined, it's natural then when a major event happens to go see, that's why I don't want to travel anywhere right there. You know, it's kind of like this straw broke the camel's back. Now that being said, you brought up a very good point, which is that it's still an incredibly safe way to travel. It's efficient, It gets us, you know, very far at four hundred five hundred miles an hour, so much faster than we could ever travel in a car, across the train that we could never access in a car, So there is a lot of benefit to it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's no question about that. But I just know I don't think we will ever get back to where we were. The seats are getting all of that, it's less comfortable. I'm you know, I'm not six five and way two fifty. I'm a very normal sized guy, and I'm in a seat there, and it's like, you know what, this is not comfortable.
Speaker 2: I mean, and you're not.
Speaker 4: Wrong, sadly. And gas isn't getting cheaper, and I think that's all probably playing into it, and insurance isn't getting cheaper, so I think that they're trying to cram in an extra couple of seats on all these roads to you know, to get that extra pinch. But what it ends up doing is making a lot of discomfort for the passengers. For sure.
Speaker 3: It's eventually, as it is in every industry. On Doctor Johnson, it's the being counters who are our enemy.
Speaker 2: It is the being.
Speaker 3: Counters, and they they are the ones that have taken the joy and the fun out of every.
Speaker 4: Cold You're not wrong, You're not wrong, And I missed the glamour right, Like, let's let's have the bean counters sit aside and see what happens when we invite a much more pleasant and welcoming experience to the to the entire event. And I do think that there are some companies out there that you know, all kind of doing at least some of these smaller airlines that are trying to offer more of that kind of down home feel. I think there is a market for it, but it just quite hasn't hit in terms of what we see with the big airliners in terms of moving people.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't want to sound like some old guy here, but I remember, you know, traveling for television as a television reporter with my crew to stories in Europe in the in the eighties and nineties, and oftentimes we'd get bumped up to first class and.
Speaker 4: When we're going ony days, right.
Speaker 3: And here's the best part about it, oftentimes the pilot would invite me to come up and sit in the jump seat as we're going across the Atlantic at you know, two thirty four o'clock and two thirty four o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: And that will never happen now. That will live open now. So it's so said, folks, doctor j justsin. How can folks get in touch with you? It looks to me like you've got a great website, and you are a font of good information give us the way Folks can kind of can keep up with you, follow you and get some good guidance from you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so skytalk doc on Instagram. I'm currently learning how to fly the T six text and Warbird and also bu find happy dot com b E. You find happy dot com for all the psychology things as well.
Speaker 2: Well, that's great, and it's MC doctor MICHAELA.
Speaker 3: Johnson. I'm sure they can find you through the internet as well, And thanks very much. I don't need to be in any way, shape or form a cynic, but I've watched this industry.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Part of it is, you know, every time I go through TSA, I say that to myself, thank you very much, you know, terrorist for what you have done to us. You know, they killed innocent Americans and other innocent non Americans on nine to eleven. But they have left a legacy that has changed airline travel forever, and.
Speaker 4: You know, and it's created a lot of fear for people to use what is a pretty incredible if we go to write brothers, you know, original idea, a pretty incredible way to travel. And I'm fortunate enough to get to fly in small aircraft and have that experience which really feels kind of like you're one with the you know, one with God, one with nature, one with the universe. And I think that for people that are trepidacious to fly, the one thing that I offer as advice is that actually speaking scientifically speaking, is still an incredibly safe way to fly or to travel. Rather and your pilots want to make it home as well. They're highly trained, they know what they're doing. And there are things, as in everyday life, that are completely unavoidable, true accidents that happen, But for the most part, there is a tremendous amount of safety built into this form of moving across the planet, and it still does offer a lot of benefit in being able to see places that are exotic and far away.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, doctor Johnson, appreciate your time. Love to have you back. Thank you so much for joining us soon.
Speaker 4: Thanks so much for having me.
Speaker 2: Very welcome.
Speaker 3: We get back to talk about a scientist. Did you know the shape of the Earth's intercour is changing?
Speaker 2: How can that be?
Speaker 3: We will talk about that very issue right after the news break at the bottom of the hour.
Speaker 2: My name's Dan Ray. This is Nightside.
Speaker 3: To listen to w BUS ten thirty and your am dial Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with Dan Ray on wb Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 3: Just dropped a telephone on the floor. Oh man, what a nightmare here when you have too much wires.
Speaker 2: Underneath your desk. Uh.
Speaker 3: We have a very interesting guest. He's a professor at USC University of Southern California, doctor John Vidali, author of new study about I guess the shape of the Earth's inner core.
Speaker 2: Doctor vid Allie, this is something I know nothing about. I'd love to hear. What's the what's going on?
Speaker 5: How are you very good? Good evening.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's kind of a strange story. I mean, we've been actually looking at this.
Speaker 5: For a few decades.
Speaker 6: You know, the Earth has many layers and has basically an iron center and a solid iron core in the inner core in the middle of a liquid iron outer core. And we've known nothing holds the innercore in place, and we've realized over the years it kind of turns a little bit this way and that way.
Speaker 5: Over time.
Speaker 6: It turns out it's stirred up by the outer core, which is kind of burbling along, generating the magnetic field. And what we've realized just this last years. We think, in addition to wobbling back and forth, it seems to kind of be compressed and raised a little kind of hills and valleys over the course of the few years we've been looking at it. So nothing very consequential for us up on the surface, but it does seem like, you know, the intercore is soft and we can just see the depressions and hills forming.
Speaker 5: Kind of weird.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you for that technical term. They're kind of weird.
Speaker 3: I'm actually able to understand that, but no, thank you for making it making it understandable. Now, the Earth has been around for about five billion years, right, correct? I think that's generally accept that. There's not a lot of precision in that estimate, but generally it's accepted that's right. And to the best of my knowledge, it has continued to spend in that in that revolution and rotation around the sun approximately ninety million, ninety three million miles away all of that. So probably what's going on has been going on for a while. I assume that's sort of an ever changing center. Would that be a logical conclusion?
Speaker 6: Not try you know, we argue that, you know, maybe the innercore started to solidify halfway through the life of the Earth, you know, a couple of billion years ago. We're not really sure, but it's been you know, as the earth cool, the intercore is kind of freezing, and eventually it'll freeze the whole core solid. That'll cost us our magnetic field. So yeah, it's been down there growing a millimeter a year for a couple of billion years.
Speaker 3: So what happens if we lose If we lose our magnetic field, that sounds like that's not a good thing.
Speaker 6: Well, we kind of argue a little bit because you know, sometimes field reverses and nothing too bad has happened, at least when it doesn't completely go to.
Speaker 5: Zero and turned back on again.
Speaker 6: But everyone didn't die the last time to interfere in the core last time. The manner of field flips, but you know it could let more radiation in and damage life.
Speaker 5: We really don't want to test it and see what happens.
Speaker 3: I would I would think, So, now, does this have anything to do being the inner court with climate change?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: No, I didn't think so, not a scientist, but they didn't think so, because I know the Earth has gone through lots of changes over five billion years, and where I'm sitting right now used we used to be under what half a mile of frozen ice a long time ago here in New England, and I don't know if it ever got to southern California that bad.
Speaker 2: But what's the best estimate? These days?
Speaker 3: I don't often get a chance to I got. I primarily talked to politicians and I never get.
Speaker 2: Straight answers from them, So it's.
Speaker 3: No sorry about that, but it's great to talk to a real scientist. What what is your sense? Not on climate change, I don't want to get you in all of that, but but what is your sense as to how long this orb that we call Earth Mother Earth is going to continue in existence?
Speaker 2: I mean, what's its life expectancy? Is my question?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a good question.
Speaker 6: I mean, like I said, I think the when the core freezes over, you know, it will be challenging with the extra solar rays and radiation. But one thing that's going to take us out is the Sun turns into a red giant, you know, and about eight billion years as one estimate, so basically the Sun expands to the Earth soorb it. That's not gonna be good.
Speaker 3: No, most of us won't be around for that, right, I would hope, I would hope. What I'm just also, I really get I don't know. Are you familiar with it with doctor Brian Green out of Columbia?
Speaker 5: No? What does he says?
Speaker 2: He's a physicist. He wrote Parallel Views was his big book.
Speaker 3: He's written several books, Parallel Views, the idea of infinity, the concept of infinity.
Speaker 2: I had him as a guest many years ago.
Speaker 3: Fascinating guy that that if that, if infinity truly does exist as he believes it does, there's another place in a galaxy far far away, where as a talk show host talking to a professor who looks exactly like you and a talk show host, you know, it's it's it's kind of a mind bending sort of concept. But I have talked to him about some of these subjects. Here's my question for a scientist like you. If our Earth was ten million miles closer to the Sun, we would burn up. If it was ten million miles further away from the Sun, we would.
Speaker 2: Freeze, correct.
Speaker 5: More or less, more or less?
Speaker 2: What has kept us in this perfect circular circular you know circulation, this this this perfect track. If you will all these years.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, once we formed our planet in the orbit, it's not much to change it. You know, the Sun pushes us out a little tiny bit with you know, solar radiation, so increases just a bid. But once we're placed here, I think we're here to stay till the Sun kind of beat us up as a red giant. So how did we get I don't know how we got here?
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, So that's that's the ultimate question.
Speaker 3: Is there's somebody out there working on we're going on this for us or is it something that just it all came naturally.
Speaker 2: And I guess that's the ultimate question of life.
Speaker 5: Boy, if I need the answer to that, jeez, i'd read a book.
Speaker 6: Uh, I don't know. I'm kind I just believe in accidents. I started to think everything just kind of fell into place, and we're darn lucky to be here, even with the current political clianet.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and let's let's hope it last at least to uh, at least a few more generations. And when you say eight billion years, maybe maybe at the end of you and you and I will be faint memories when it when it all ends, well, well we won't hear we won't be here for the grand finale. I love the conversation with you, doctor, I really did you seem like a lot of times, as I'm sure you know, academics can be a little less humorous than than you have been.
Speaker 2: And you've been a great sport and.
Speaker 3: I I really appreciate you taking the time you're still teaching the US.
Speaker 2: You're still teaching.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yep, tomorrow morning, I'm gonna tell them about more natural disasters than the gen.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 3: Well, you know again, I wish I had professors like you. I would have I might have done better in science, things like science and some of that, but I ended up being a literature and a history guy, and that's what That's how I ended up being a TV reporter and a talk show most. But oh, it can be great fun because I get to lead this, I get to meet and interview this popery of people and you you're a memorable person for me to first saw. The usc UH relationship is extraordinary. That's one of the great great universities on the West Coast and UH. And you've been a great guest. And I hope we can get you back at some point.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, i'd be happy to chat. This is fun.
Speaker 2: Do you have Do you have a website? Do you have a book.
Speaker 3: Lot of times when folks come on for us, they always have something that they'd like to share with my audience. Is there something that you'd like to direct my audience to?
Speaker 5: God, all I do is research.
Speaker 6: I'm just gonna sit on the computer and crunch numbers, try to write papers, try to fire I hope my previous papers are right.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Again, I'm sure they are. Doctor John Vidali of the University of Southern California, and he's checking on the Earth's inner core changing. And I'm going to sleep better tonight knowing you're keeping an eye on this for us. Thanks so much, doctor, appreciate it very much.
Speaker 5: Oh sure, my pleasure.
Speaker 2: Talk to you soon. Good night.
Speaker 3: We get back on and talk to problem a little bit more closer to home and maybe a little more relevant, but just as interesting in that is the problem of infertility. Going to talk with a registered nurse what you need to know about infertility back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side Studios. I'm dumbing BSY News Radio.
Speaker 3: We're going to talk about infertility, which is a very serious and a tough subject to talk about.
Speaker 2: Joining us as Sarah Thorp. She's a registered nurse director of a clinical clients success at Her company is called win WI n Sarah Torp, Welcome to Nightside. Tell us a little bit about yourself and a little bit about the company win.
Speaker 7: Yes, hi everyone, My name is Sarah. As you said, registered nurse have been in the fertility family building benefit space for twelve years now going on twelve years and when we are a benefit benefit administrator for fertility and family building benefits and so we really help our members make informed decisions, maximize their benefits and really ensure that they have access to the best care and resources as they're going through their journey of fertility and kind of any other journeys that may be covered with us, such as adoption and surrogacy.
Speaker 3: Does your company interface with with corporations with businesses or do you interface with the families that are going through.
Speaker 7: The process, so both Mostly we integrate with health plans. We also employer groups, so clients employers will bring us on as a benefit to like the medical plan, so you have your medical benefits, you have your vision, your dental and then employers will choose to bring on like mental mental health benefits along with fertility benefits would be a solution. On the side, we also have a direct to consumer solution where member, if you don't have a benefit, and you're a consumer out there going through fertility journey, a fertility journey and you're paying for it out of pocket, et cetera, we do have a program to support people.
Speaker 4: On that path.
Speaker 2: What does that program consist of.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so it consists of, number one, you have a nurse advocate to be your point person answer questions really, you know, help you to know your options to your advocate to help you get the care you deserve. We also have a network of providers who are vetted out and those providers in the direct to consumer program offer discounts on services, so you would then be accessing kind of care with discounts on the treatment and then on medications as well.
Speaker 3: Okay, Now, obviously infertility can affect any one of us, and clearly in a relationship, if one person's person is infertile, that's that's going to be a problem within that relationship. What percentage of people you know in child bearing age, however you wanted to describe that find themselves to have problems with fertility?
Speaker 2: Can you can you quantify it for us a little bit?
Speaker 7: You know, they the World Health Organization came out with new stat I believe a year ago or a little over a year ago, where one in eight people are infertile, and so that's more than cancer, more than diabetes. And within that subset of one in a right, then you have you know, the female versus the male so and those are pretty equal in terms of a diagnosis of infertility. If you're looking at a partnership where you'll have thirty to forty percent have a female factor infertility and about thirty to forty percent would have male factor infertility and about twenty percent is unexplained infertility.
Speaker 2: Okay, is that w h O figure? Is that a worldwide that is a worldwide Yes? Okay?
Speaker 3: Does that then do we as Americans and again that's our audience here obviously tonight, is that do we suffer? Do we deal with that basically at the same levels or less or more?
Speaker 7: I think it's more. It's more, it's one in six, I believe us.
Speaker 3: Why would Why would? Why would our country? We we tend to think of our people as being healthier than the average countries around the world. Why would infertility hit our society harder than it might hit other societies.
Speaker 7: I think that's a very subjective question.
Speaker 2: No, I just didn't know if it was something about our diet. I mean, you know there there are certain Yeah, I mean, if you.
Speaker 7: Don't passionate about more holistic things in life, and I do feel you know, there are many things kind of in our environments and our lifestyles here in America that may that may lean us more towards kind of being healthier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, that's exactly you know.
Speaker 3: Again, I'm we don't script these interviews, Sarah, I ask you a question that you don't have the statistics that your fingertips, feel.
Speaker 2: Free to tell me. How how can folks.
Speaker 3: Get in touch with you or with your company, either if they have employees and would like to provide support to their employees, or if there are a couple out there dealing with infertility issues and are looking for, uh, you know, some more information and maybe even some more support. What's what's the best way people can get in touch with you or with your company? And are you folks from your area code? Where are you located physically?
Speaker 7: Corporate is in Connecticut, but we have people all over the nation support.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, so there's not a situation where people have to fly to augen Utah to meet you.
Speaker 4: Okay, No, not at all.
Speaker 7: And so winfertility dot Com is our website and that's where you know, if you don't have the benefit and you're looking for support, you can go there and go under the my of the four members section. And then if you're also I would I would say, you know, if you're if you're on this journey and you're not sure if your employer offers these benefits, dig into potentially what your employer offers and or your partner's employer and understand kind of what's around there, and you may want to, you know, go to your employer and ask them, you know, are they thinking about bringing on these benefits questions like that.
Speaker 3: Absolutely absolutely so again, give us it's the website one more time so that people have a chance to.
Speaker 7: Write it down Win fertility dot com and that's w I n all Yes.
Speaker 3: Perfect, Okay, Sarah, thanks very much, appreciate your time tonight. Wasn't trying to throw questions at job, ask what I do for a living? Is I think of questions that I try to put myself in the mind of my audience when I ask the questions, and I don't script questions in advance.
Speaker 2: I've been doing this too long to do it that way. Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Maybe we'll have you back at some point in the not too distant future, and maybe we'll have you on some night if you'd like and take questions from my audience.
Speaker 2: Would you be willing to do that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, Well, we'll get back in touch. Thanks Sarahcid very much. Sarah Torp of Wind Fertility. When we get back, we're going to talk about that Supreme Court decision today and the Karen Read case here in Massachusetts. I think the Supreme Court missed an opportunity to provide better practice for judges here in Massachusetts. I will be in the distinct minority on that, but I never mind being in either the majority of the minority as long as I'm two to my own beliefs and thoughts. We'll be back on Night's side right after the nine o'clock news. My name's Dan Ray. Thanks very much for joining us. Stay with us throughout the night.