Speaker 1: From Workhouse Connect and aj Benza.
Speaker 2: Fame. He'd like to be walked on a leash and play really dirty kinky sex games.
Speaker 1: Is uh the guy put the cock in the peacock network. Okay, bitch, Hey.
Speaker 2: Everybody aj Benzi here with fame is a bitch.
Speaker 1: This is not a Patreon show.
Speaker 2: This is a free show for all your listeners out there. We enjoy the show, and some of you only hear the first five minutes if you're there for free, which is strange to me. I would think you'd want to hear the whole show and pay the seven buffs. But either way, I'm gonna give you a free show once a week. Drum up some more business, some more interest. And while I have all of you, let me just also say that the Unfiltered Show, the Patreon Show, has been going great. Five days a week. We've got Politics is a bitch. Every Sunday, We've got every Thing is a bitch. With me and Mike I Gavino that airs once a week. And Relationships is a bit between me, Mike and Arena Wood our relationships Guru. She is married to our best friend Kenny Wood. So I'm out there. You can hear me everywhere. But I'm gonna give you a free show every week. Hopefully that'll motivate you.
Speaker 1: Guys to want to hear my silly voice every day.
Speaker 2: My get sick of it in time, but not a bad thing to have handy when you want to hear it, when you want to hear good gossip, but just old stories from my life, tremendous memories, brushes with fame, mafia story, I mean, you name it, I've got them all. I've been out here living the crazy life for well, I'm sixty three now, so let's say my life's been crazy for fifty years. First thirteen were kind of normal, I suppose. Before I go any further, a lot of folks on the Patreon show have been lucky enough to listen to something that I've been linked up with, and that is a company, Eric Javitt's Hats E R C JA v TS go to Eric Chavitz dot com beautiful hats. You can see these hats at the finer clothing stores around the country, the Burgoff Goodman's stores, like that kind of stuff you really don't want to walk into or look at because you know it's gonna hurt your pocket. But whenever there's a sale on these hats, you get my twenty percent off that I give you on top of whatever that deal that Eric Chavitz has giving you on the hat.
Speaker 1: So if he has.
Speaker 2: Twenty percent off, you go to Eric chavits dot com, find a hat you want, select it, and use the promo name fame and get an additional twenty percent off. This has been going like gangbusters because Eric Dravitz hats Milania Trump Bobble the other day. Actually, she's won it several times. This is the kind of thing that you guys have bought over twenty five thousand dollars worth of hats.
Speaker 1: Amazing, Keep it up.
Speaker 2: Remember use the promo code theme at Eric javits dot com. One C one t Okay, let's talk about Hollywood before I jump into a story about a famous choreographer that I'm sure many of you are familiar with.
Speaker 1: The first thing I want to bring up.
Speaker 2: Before I get into that, I'll just give you a taste of the kind of stuff I do on my Patreon show, and that is the fact that I've been at this gossip game for over thirty years, and not only do I know plenty of people and just know things.
Speaker 1: In general.
Speaker 2: I have this crazy, spidy sense about what's going on, and I've been proven right hundreds of times in the last eight years that I've been on on this podcast. But real quick, the Keith Urban Nicole Kidman split, everybody's kind of trying to figure.
Speaker 1: Out what happened.
Speaker 2: You've heard the rumors about well twenty years, and they started to just kind of separate. It happens to people. There's another roomor out there that at this silly that.
Speaker 1: Keith was wearing a lot of Nicole's wigs.
Speaker 2: I'm not privy to knowing how many wigs the cole Kivin has or how many she wears, but there's a silly rumor out there that he was.
Speaker 1: Wearing her wigs.
Speaker 2: I've never seen him in a wig. Maybe they do that at night when they get hot and heavy. I can't even imagine it because every picture I see of them together on the red carpet, she's wearing flats and he's wearing Frankenstein's shoes with like three or four inch platforms on the bottom of dress shoes.
Speaker 1: It's comical.
Speaker 2: Not alone could drop a couple apart when you're five to eleven five ten and he's five six. That's trouble. I mean, we're all the same height lying down, but still movie stars and recording artists walk together on red carpets.
Speaker 1: Looks a little silly.
Speaker 2: You really see his feet or her as in a picture. She also bends her knees to make leaf she short anyhow, Look, I mentioned the other day on the show that the Keith more or less has been dabbling back in the cocaine the cocaine funny had before Nicole and during Nicole at the beginning of their romance, she put her foot down and said, you gotta go to rehab if you want this to be serious.
Speaker 1: And he spent three months in rehab before he supposedly kicked the habit.
Speaker 2: I've heard that that was part of the drama, that he's been dabbling too much and she's not happy with it, and she realized she couldn't change him. Hard to change somebody at that age when they've been doing something for a long time and without you. What I'm hearing that makes more sense is this situation that possibly he had a fling or a fair or strong like, a strong liking strong liking, that's the word liking. Affection for his guitar player named Maggie Ball. Maggie, I think he's twenty five years old. Cute girl, plays a mean guitar, always next to Keith on stage, singing into each other's mouths, as singers and guitar players often do. That can create a kind of a sexual vibe. Of course, So the rumor is that they had a flame. And here's the thing that bothers me most. And here's why I think this is true. This is where my spidy sense comes into play. When this thing broke, somebody got a hold of the rumor that the guitar player or somebody had his eyes on So they reached out.
Speaker 1: And found her father.
Speaker 2: And her father commented, which you shouldn't ever comment on your movie star or recording artist children. They're big enough to do their own pr don't talk for them. Let them talk. And he said something to the effect of, no, I can't of it together. I mean, I mean, was there a problem?
Speaker 1: No? Is he having an affair? No? No, no, that's not true. Is your daughter having an affair? No she's not.
Speaker 2: Okay, fine, thanks dad, But Maggie Bough has a boyfriend and has had a boyfriend for a while. And if you're her and the rumor's out there all the newspapers and websites and magazine newspapers, I'm dating myself, all the places in the world where we get news. If that little kidbit is out there.
Speaker 1: If you're a Maggie Baugh and you've got a boyfriend you love, you immediately shut down the rumor. Keith Urban should have shut it down as well. None of them did it. Why would you do that, especially if you're Maggie Baugh. Why keep that rumor hanging over your head? Cut it down and say no. If you indeed love.
Speaker 2: Your boyfriend, let him know how much by saying that's a ridiculous comment. We're strictly professionals who tore together and have toured together for X amount of years.
Speaker 1: Blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: But there's no rumor. I love Nicole and Keith both. They're wonderful people. I wish them well. That's how you handle it. You don't keep your mouth shut and let people decide whether or not you're banging Keith Urban. At least she's just as short as he is, so that works to her advantage perhaps. Anyhow, that's food for thought and those are the kind of things I like to get into on the Patreon ship or a virtually unfiltered But I'm gonna turn the clock back now to like eighty ninety years ago, because last week I went on the show and I was asked what my favorite episodes of Mysteries and scandals were when I hosted that back in the late nineties, and I gave a bunch of answers to Peg and Twhistle who jumped off the Hollywood sign the Black Dahlia.
Speaker 1: Oh, there's so many George Reeves.
Speaker 2: I mentioned Ramon Navarro, who was beaten at death with a wooden dildo bro given to him by Rudolph Valentino Azimov, a big old lesbian or a sex club kind of a not a sex club, but I hang out in Hollywood where all the stars could go and not be seen and do the drug day life. Men could be with men, women with women. Nobody was the wiser. Anyhow, I thought of another show that I liked a lot because it really well, it struck home, and I'll tell you why I toward the end of this episode. But I'm gonna talk about Buzzby Berkeley, the famous boreographer.
Speaker 1: This is back in the thirties and forties. He was a household name, you know, W. C. Fields, may West.
Speaker 2: There were there were many many stars that were household names back then, and these folks making a fortune back then. So we're going back ninety eighty years ago. And when it came to musicals and all these elaborate dance numbers you see in the old movies, Buzzby Berkeley's films were pretty much often described as the ultimate expression of what Hollywood's glitz and glamour should look like. And if you think about all of film history, there really haven't been too many choreographers who can lay claim to the kind of success that Busby Berkeley gained as well. Just a visual stylist and somebody that was completely original and way ahead of the curve.
Speaker 1: And he was so ahead of himself. He was behind.
Speaker 2: That's how much he knew, and that's how much he poured into the movies and the dance numbers he choreographed. Really, outside of Bob Fosse who Life Story I love, foss only choreographed five movies, and I can't think of any other one who did. I mean, Berkeley had at least eleven under his belt before he died, so clearly he was head and shoulders above all the others who held the job since he did.
Speaker 1: But you gotta remember when he came out. When he came out, it was throwing the Great Depression.
Speaker 2: And back then, whenever people bought tickets to one of his films, they didn't go to the movie.
Speaker 1: DIDs wanted to see a particular start. They didn't care who the story even was, they didn't care.
Speaker 2: Who directed the picture, they didn't care what the story was about. They just wanted to see something visually dazzling.
Speaker 1: And they knew as soon as they sat down in that theater and the projective began to flicker, they were gonna feel differently and leave that theater and in a tremendously good mood, which is not always the way it works out nowadays. And the sequence, the dance sequence, is that he created God, go look at his movies.
Speaker 2: I mean, some of the most beautiful sequences ever put on film. This is obviously way before CGI, and there weren't many special effects that these directors or choreographers could use. And to this day you look at his movies and you're gonna still go, oh my god, how did they pull that off? What kind of a step is that? How did he shoot this thing? Where's the camera? You're gonna ask yourself a thousand questions next time Turner Classic Movies runs a marathon of his of his films, sit down and watch what he was able to accomplish while most of his colleagues in Hollywood was still trying to figure shit out. But even though he was, you know, recognized as a legitimate genius, of course, he, like many other creative people, had personal demons.
Speaker 1: We've seen plenty of those. I've had plenty of those, fought them off, continue to fight them off. It's a lifelong battle for some people. And as a result, his story serves and his life serves as.
Speaker 2: Just another example of what we always say, there's a fine line between genius and insanity, between brilliance and insanity.
Speaker 1: And that's where his life was. And let's go back to eighteen ninety five when he was born in Los Angeles. It was born William Berkeley, but he went by. His parents gave them the nicknamed Busby after the actress Amy Busy Busby. She was popular on Broadway at the time.
Speaker 2: So man, they had their sight set on this kid right away, and he was a MoMA's boy, inseparable from his mother.
Speaker 1: I mean, it gets kind of great.
Speaker 2: It gets, you know, after he got older, she still lived with him most of his adult life, and this.
Speaker 1: Includes four of his six marriages. That might be why some, many of them failed wives, don't want their mother in law in the same kitchen, in the same house.
Speaker 2: They don't want to smell their perfume. We're here, they're talking. Coughing is easy. They just want to be with their man and a kid or too. But here's where things get interesting. As a teenager, he attends a military academy upstate, New York and eventually serves as a.
Speaker 1: Field serves in a field artillery.
Speaker 2: Unit in World War One, and what he gained from that was that he realized he liked and really enjoyed the structure and the precision that military life offered. I feel the same way. I just didn't have the balls to enlist. I was petrified of war. I looking back, man, it would have been a great thing to do, to serve for your country. It really would have been. But hey can look at a review mirror.
Speaker 1: So the war ends and he's continuing to serve as a conductor for US Army parades and some of the stage shows day threw, and that's when he discovered that he had a talent for organizing marching units.
Speaker 2: And before long he was directing battalions of over five thousand men. And it just got bigger and it got more complex as time went on. Eventually he leaves the Armed Services, didn't have a lot of prospects for jobs lined up, so he went to Broadway trying his hand on stage, which is sounds pretty simple. They went to Broadway and tried his I mean it's not that easy, but he went tried his luck.
Speaker 1: Couldn't really act, so that didn't get him any work, but he got a name from That's all you need in this town.
Speaker 2: People need to know your name. Once they know your name, they'll figure out what you do best. And what he did best was organizing chorus lines. I know, sounds a little fay, but he wasn't. He was a heterosexual man, many marriages, many affairs. But the thing is he really didn't ever aspire a career in choreography. But you know, after all those years of taking part in those army drills, he developed his talent and it was undeniable, but it had nothing to do with the military. So because his name, because of the name for himself, his name got around Hollywood and people start looking turning their heads, and he's on the fast track to become a star.
Speaker 1: So the movie mogul Samuel Goldwyn offers him a contract to come to Hollywood, and the job he got back then was to his insist on several films that had a lot of elaborate singing and dancing numbers. And this was the beginning of the dawn and sound in the film industry. And that's when if you go back to that era, so many movies we're just musicals.
Speaker 2: I personally can't watch them. Rosalie used to love them as a kid. But they might still stand up if you enjoy dancing, but I'd rather a drama. But they were the big thing back then, for sure. And it's not just me telling you that. If you look back in history, people poured into the theaters to see Buzzby Berkeley's musicals forty Second Street, Footlight Parade, gold Diggers of nineteen thirty three, this title I Love Dames and Fashions of nineteen thirty four as well as in Caliente and Wonder Bar with the Lauris del Rio, beautiful de Lauris del Rio, who Buzzby Berkeley had a fleet with before she moved on to the equally talented and just as nuts Orson Wells. So now we're at nineteen thirty three Warner Brothers making a picture called forty Second Street. As I said, and by that time the studio had Jack Warner. He had this feeling that I think the public's getting sick of the same old bullshit song and dance routine.
Speaker 1: They see this all the time in the movies.
Speaker 2: So the last minute, Warner gets rid of all the musical numbers planned.
Speaker 1: For that film.
Speaker 2: It's kind of hard to even think of that film without dance numbers. But Jack Warner, head of the studio, they're out.
Speaker 1: So to get.
Speaker 2: Around this last minute bullshit maneuver, the great producer Daryl Zenitt hired Berkeley to do the choreography, but he had him to shoot all the sequences at night when the studio heads were no longer. There can't do that today. Everybody works in the studio knows what you're do and they know way or on the lot, what stage you're on et cetera, and all the penny pinches these days, and the accountants watching how much money is spent, Not to mention social media. It could never happen today, making people work at night, and no one figured out.
Speaker 1: And after that was.
Speaker 2: Done, Daryl Zanik tacked all the musical numbers onto the end of the film and gave it to Warner as a final result.
Speaker 1: And believe it or not, it was great. It actually was revolutionary.
Speaker 2: The forty second Treat was one of the original backstage dramas. It has three big dance songs, shuffle Off to Buffalo, I'm Young and Healthy, and of course forty second Street. All three of those numbers last twenty minutes. That's unheard of nowadays. They tell you this scene can't come more than thirty seconds. For us, the viewers is going to try to channel unbelievable. See what social media has done to us, MTV, all these things did to us.
Speaker 1: This fact, the fact that we need instant gratification. You can't just allow things to move on and progress. No, I want it now, and I want it all.
Speaker 2: So didn't take long for Berkeley to figure out the power of the moving camera, and.
Speaker 1: He would he had these shots.
Speaker 2: He would he would track and follow the motions of all the dancers, plenty of dozens and dozens of dancers, and he would sometimes fly around and above them on wires or on big.
Speaker 1: Purchase that were built. It was unheard of and it was stunning. Go look at his movies. In addition to that.
Speaker 2: He contributed one of the most famous lines, you're going out there a young stuff, but you gotta come back a star. That's forty second Street. And that's some of the reasons why it became one of nineteen thirty three's biggest money makers, nominated for Best Picture. But more important, amid Busby Berkeley, one of the most sort of after talents in the biz, also saved Warner Brothers from bankruptcy touring the Great Depression. But he wasn't easy on anybody. This guy would work dances until their feet bled. He had this you know, he came from the military, and he had this perfectionism about him. And you know, many actresses don't really come to the stage or the set thinking that way. But you know there's one particular dancer, Eleanor Powell was dancing one of the numbers and she kept dancing despite everybody seeing and her complaining about the blisters on her feet, and they began to bleed because he wouldn't he wouldn't stop until he was absolutely one satisfied with every movement. Very demanding dude. You know, he ran as a as a drill sergeant of the army. He ran these rehearsals like a drill sergeant, and he would plan every detail, every formation, and he expected his dancers to do what he said, when he said it, and.
Speaker 1: For how long he needed it. He was that kind of guy.
Speaker 2: Wasn't really focusing on artistry as much as athleticism. And if you watch his movies, how the girls were seemingly all synchronized in their movements.
Speaker 1: And if you remember, there's.
Speaker 2: A lot of shots of what looks like a kaleidoscope, which I used to pronounce the kid is kalidioscope, but the kaleidoscope, remember those things. And through the kaleidoscope you could see all these showgirls and these geometric patterns with intense precision, and the visual effects were stunning, and it really it began to objectify, and even some said dehumanize the dancers and not really treated them as people, but as elements of part of the film, kind of deep.
Speaker 1: Grueling work conditions didn't bother them at all.
Speaker 2: Back then in history, course, girls did have it hard. Dances were forced to dance for a very long time, They didn't get paid a lot of money, and they were judged on their appearance period.
Speaker 1: There was no.
Speaker 2: Dei back then. You got the game because you were good or very good to look at. And that perfectionism made things even.
Speaker 1: Worse for these girls.
Speaker 2: They'd work, like I said, till their feet bled. You could see some blood come through their white Kipezia dance shoes. And because his films are so popular with the public, then of course he's given complete artistic control over the musical numbers. You can see the dancer's eyes rolling back in their heads when that news was announced. But with that power, he began to push both himself and the technology he was using well that was available to him to all of Hollywood at the same time. And in the process of doing that, a new art form was born, and it was something that never previously existed on such a grand scale. I mean, he had these visions that were so elaborate that Warner Brothers was forced to build one of the largest sound stages ever constructed.
Speaker 1: Just to film these musical numbers. Sometimes he'd have holes cut in the roof of the studio, of the set, and he'd be up on the roof filming down, you know, having people hold his legs. Just insane shit, very hard to create these sequences, and he never ever wanted to repeat any of his past accomplishments, passed movements, past sequences. Everything had to be original every time out, always trying to top himself. And between that and the constant demands from the studio brass, combine with his life being what it was, he was living in the middle of a pressure cooker. And what do you think happens when these actors or dancers, directors.
Speaker 2: Anybody in Hollywood. What happens when you're living in a pressure cooker. Well, of course he began to drink like a sailor on leave, and he would work till three four in the morning.
Speaker 1: Now, if you've seen any of his movies, you know that some of his musical numbers featured water, a lot of girls diving in the pool at the same time. You've seen those synchronized swimming at the same time as well, And I'll tell you why he used water.
Speaker 2: Water made him relax because when he was stressed out, when life was too hard, he would lay in the bathtub for hours and drink endless martinis.
Speaker 1: I never drank in the bathtub.
Speaker 2: I might have had a sip of wine, but I knew a guy who was an alcoholic who worked with me years ago, who used to drink wine in the shower out of the bottle. Whenever you think you have a problem, just think of going that far. Hey y yi, but yeah, sit water in the bathtub, calm himself down, pound martinis. I'm sure there was second Al's back then that he was popping too. And not everybody, I mean not anybody was straight.
Speaker 1: In my book, back then, the studio heads gave him out to people lose weight, stay awake, go to sleep, get up again.
Speaker 2: More energy it pills were everywhere. But that's the way he said. He could only come up with new ideas laying in the water in the bathtub, drinking martinis. And you know, he had this habit of drunk dialing his dancers had four or five o'clock.
Speaker 1: In the morning.
Speaker 2: I mean, just you know, because he's trying to come up on a new routine and wanted some feedback, wanted some thoughts a madman.
Speaker 1: Imagine how much more he even up to, or how much more he'd be up their asses if he could.
Speaker 2: Send texts back. Then, Oh my god, but here comes the bad side of life. Nineteen thirty five, while he's at the height of his fame. He's at a party celebrating the completion of his latest film. He's driving home along the Pacific Coast Highway, which we call the PCH, which is where all those magnificent mansions burned down several months back during the fires of Malibu and the Palisades.
Speaker 1: And he's probably trunk.
Speaker 2: I say probably or possibly, because we really never got the answer to that.
Speaker 1: But listen.
Speaker 2: If he's pounding Martini's in the bathtub, he's drinking at a wrap party the period he loses control of the car and goes on the wrong side of the road, side swipes a car, plows them to another car. Three people are killed. He gets arrested, charged with second degree murder. If you've listened to the show before and ever watch Mysteries and scandals, it's very hard to lock these stars up. So the trial begins, and of course Berkeley was brought in on a stretcher into court. He had some head and leg injuries, unable to stand, he said, But we all know what that's about. And Warner Brothers, the studio, had their own set of problems because the public still had this big appetite for Buzzby Berkeley's pictures, and he was scheduled to work on three more movies back to back to back, and they waited for him to be able to walk, then they right away shifted the production schedule to nights. This meant that he now had to sit in a courtroom all day, then go to work every night, usually till three or four o'clock in the morning, for months and months on end. And for his part, he agreed to the schedule because he said he felt he needed.
Speaker 1: To work to get over the terrible guilt he felt at the time he was eating him up.
Speaker 2: And Warner Brothers was quick to get a lot of their employees at the party who were there to testify at the trial on his behalf. There was a lot of evidence to the contrary, but Warner Brothers marched up several quote unquote stars in their roster who went on record to say that he wasn't drunk at the party, and he wasn't drunk when he got into the car, but that would have been completely out of character for a guy like I said, since sinnadatham and pounds martinis and his past behavior was documented, he was drunk, and probably as a result of his testimony, the.
Speaker 1: Trial ends in a hung jury. Trial number two, Same thing happens third trial.
Speaker 2: Right now, you're thinking guilty, right, No, Finally he gets acquitted. But of course that his life begins to spin out of control. You'd think having such a close call with death and then prison would change you and say, you know what, I'm gonna slowed down. Life's been great, but it got wild. I gotta slow down and just use my head. Stop being samaniac. But no, life spins out of control. He marries and remarries over and over again. Then he becomes very erratic on the set. At least one actress back in the day claimed he almost got her killed while filming a very ambitious sequence as part of a film. He's working on the movie Girl Crazy with Judy Garland, and she was just as nuts as him, and she got him fired because she said he was making unnecessarily. Well, she said he was making him to do unnecessary dance scenes over and over and over again, and you know, she couldn't help. And it's funny. Reminds me of when I was hosting Mysteries and Scandals. I had a producer named Danny. Danny was a small guy, gay and bipolar, and I never heard that turn back in nineteen ninety six or seven.
Speaker 1: It's like, what is that.
Speaker 2: Oh, the like he's got like two people in his head, you know, schizophrenic. No, it's bipolar.
Speaker 1: It's not that bad, but he has to take a pill and then he Mellie evens out and it's fine. Well, that night we were doing the Judy Garland shoot, and of course a gay man wants to do the Judy Garland shoot because all gay men love Judy, and Danny gets very demanding, probably as demanding as Busby Berkeley. I'm dying. It's one two o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 2: We're on the Walk of Fame, Hollywood Boulevard, right next to Judy's prince in the concrete.
Speaker 1: He wants me to kneel down and said, I'm not gonna kneel down.
Speaker 2: Every show ends with me standing by the by the Star, or ends with me at their palm print or footprints. Most shows ended that way. I never kneeled down. I got a twenty five hundred dollars suit on. I'm not gonna put my my armandi on on concrete. No, I'll stand up. We battled about that, but me and Danny went Danny used to Danny did the Maylon Monroe shoot. Of course he did because every gay man loves Marilyn Moreau. And back then he wanted me. We were in the mausoleum where Marilynd is buried, and he wanted me to put a rose in that little receptacle they have on the side of the mars.
Speaker 1: I said, I'm not doing that. It looks silly, it looks dumb. He wants.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm not, But you know what, I was young yet at the job. I didn't want to ruffle too many feathers, so I did it. But I fucking regretted to this day. It looks so hacky, it looks stupid, and I got mad at Danny was like, take your fuck pill. He actually went home, took his pill, came back. We worked at four o'clock in the morning on that.
Speaker 1: Shot crazy stories.
Speaker 2: Anyhow, Buzzy Berkeley is now spiraling downward. But he had two constants in his life, the bottle, like I said, and the affections of his mother. What do you think happens around this time? His mother dies cancer after a very long battle. Dead gone. That was the final strug mental breakdown that he had. Was kept at bay for a few years, but then it manifested itself with a vengeance. Not long after his mother's died. As mother's death, he tried to kill himself by slitting his throat and wrists. One of his servants found him lying on the bathroom Florida, pool of his own blood. The servant binds up all his wounds, calls an ambulance and definitely saved his life. And when Buzzby Berkeley finally recovered he after surgery, he told a friend and I quote, I'm a hasband and I know it. I can't seem to get myself straightened out, rainy En. At the time, I'm broke. When my mother died, everything seemed to go with her.
Speaker 1: But as much as you think, okay, that's a wrap, col it quits. No, he still keeps on working, still keeps recovers from his wounds, but then gets admitted to a psychiatric war in Los Angeles for six weeks. Ugh. And then he tells that same friend what that was like. It was a nightmare.
Speaker 2: See, I was thrown in with these dirty, disheveled, bedraggled creatures. They were so short a space. My cot was placed at the corridor where these horrible characters passed me day and night. I knew that if I wasn't already mad, I soon would be. On top of that, Berkeley went from one hundred and seventy pounds to one hundred and seven pounds, and he had six hundred and fifty dollars to his name. Is it curtains yet? Is the show over?
Speaker 1: No? He makes it come back again, gets work again, makes several more movies that audiences loved in the sixties. And I'll tell you how he was able to do that through hard work determination.
Speaker 2: Yeah, somewhat mostly through drugs, because it's no coincidence that all of a sudden he's interested in work again. Also, that came the same time that certain illegal substances were becoming more widely used throughout Hollywood and society. So drugs, thoughted to become widely available, and back then college students in the sixties, it was not uncommon for college students to go see his movies and watch those musical numbers all fucked up because they'd watched these visual accompaniments and it lended them, said, lended itself to them getting even higher. Isn't that wild that Buzzby Berkeley got there high bigger because of his dance sequences.
Speaker 1: Unreal net drugs can be good until they're bad.
Speaker 2: They're always bad, but they can start on fun and good then it gets awful. So a lot of the young people who went to these or go to these Busby Berkeley retrospectives really on coning because they're interested in what kind of.
Speaker 1: Camera he used.
Speaker 2: They probably couldn't tell you anything about the film's plot because these people were just sitting in the chairs high as a kite. Well, you know, you finally passed away in nineteen seventy six. He was eighty years old. But get this gag, and I saved this for the end. Throughout his long illustrious career, he had a very dark, deep secret and you'll never believe it. And this is why his story is one of my favorite episodes in Mysteries Scandals. Ready, no one ever taught Busby Berkeley how to dance. The guy had two left feet, couldn't dance to save his life. And what's most insane to me but not so surprising about Hollywood in the thirties. His acquittal in the third trial was due probably to the powerful legal defense that Warner Brothers and that their studio attorneys were able to give him. There was a guy named Jerry Geisler, very high priced lawyer that protected studios interest. He was in a bunch of our episodes. Everybody called Geisler. The name Geisler was in a lot of our episodes. He was known as the He was like the Johnny Cochrane or Robert Shapiro of his day.
Speaker 1: I mean the accident in which he's driving and kills three people driving.
Speaker 2: On the wrong side of the road, and witnesses said they smelled alcohol on his breath at the scene, and yet his defense focused on.
Speaker 1: The car's mechanical failure.
Speaker 2: You love lawyers, I mean, you love him when you need him.
Speaker 1: It's a very simple strategy. They said. There was a blowout. The car had a blowout front.
Speaker 2: Left tire caused Buzby to lose control of his car, and I think, for a minute, if I'm not mistaken, Warner Brothers was threatening to sue good Year, the tire company. This is getting eerie because this morning I had to order a front left tire on my car because it keeps gutting low on air.
Speaker 1: There's a slow leak. You know, that's too close for comfort. Anyhow, I don't speed anymore, but it's kind of weird.
Speaker 2: But yeah, they were threatening to sue good your tires for having faulty tires on his car. It's amazing how many awful scandals Hollywood's most powerful.
Speaker 1: People, fixers, studio heads, and their powerful defense attorneys were able to snuff out because of shit like this. And I'll tell you as I wrapped the shop up. When I was doing the Buzzby Berkeley episode, we obviously had me do several stand ups on Pacific.
Speaker 2: Coast Highway, which wasn't always easy guys, because you know, cause of flying by and we're off the road. But still people would honk if they see the camera crew set up. They start to rubber neck traffic developed, but the honking would ruin a shot. I could be five sentences into a stand up.
Speaker 1: Ah, oh fuck a helicopter overhead because there's crime stop. We can't fail. It was endless, and for a while a long time I didn't have a teleprompter.
Speaker 2: I'll have to memorize, you know, two or three paragraphs in a row, six seven times a night. It wasn't easy until I said I'll pay for them my own salary. They finally got one from me, and they paid. But when they got that, the show's flew without them.
Speaker 1: It was difficult. Not digging ditches difficult, but pain me AS's difficult. But I'm on the same highway he's at. Back then, I was driving a nineteen seventy six triple Tan Cadillact Eldorado convertible. Oh I love this car.
Speaker 2: I post love the famous Bitch podcast of Cess Page the other day.
Speaker 1: Love that car.
Speaker 2: And Okay, once we wrap a certain area, the crew gets together and they go to down I'm gonna go to Holloway Boulevard and shoot the ending and the beginning.
Speaker 1: That kind of shit. Everything shot out of water.
Speaker 2: So while the crew was putting things back on the truck, all the cameras, the generators, blah blah, blah. I would usually go out with the producer to my teleprompted guy who was my best friend, Tony Finetti, and we grab a drink someplace. He had an hour to kill, maybe ninety minutes to kill, and we stopped at some place on PCH. I believe it was Gladstone's, the famous place on PCH. No, it was Moonshadows where mel Gibson had his whole situation where he flipped out and called the cop female cop sugar Tis.
Speaker 1: It was Moonshadows. We down probably had two or three drinks right there. Now I'm back in the car driving to Hollywood, easy, easily a fifteen mile drive.
Speaker 2: But the PCH is notorious for car accidents. I mean, it's scary cars whipped by. And now I'm feeling not drunk, but I'm inebriating and I'm driving on the same highway in a big car.
Speaker 1: And it's not only me. Now I got three other people when they're with me, and I'm going, what the fuck am I doing? You're already doing so many of the things that these people you talk about did in their lives, doing the same things they did. They killed them. It's wrong with me? Did I have a death wish.
Speaker 2: Or was I just tasting to see if the horseshoe that's up my ass was still working well? Wether you like it or not, Here we are, twenty five years later, and even though I found myself on my back and at the same rock bottom of Busby, Berkeley and many others found themselves.
Speaker 1: At still standing, still breathing, and Buzzby would be happy. You know, I'm still dancing. I'm aj Ben.
Speaker 2: So that was your Famous A Bitch for October eleventh, twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: Talk to you guys next week for another free show. In the meantime, go to patreon dot com slash Famous a Bitch and get with the daily Unfiltered show. You'll love it. Don't forget politics.
Speaker 2: A Bitch is there as well every Sunday, as well as everything is a bitch and relationships.
Speaker 1: Is a bitch. Now, I'm gonna be a bitch and leave. I'll talk to you guys next week.