Speaker 1: Now your host for playoff Dodger Toss sound off Angelinos David Vasse.
Speaker 2: We are live at Techo Park after the Dodgers fall to the Padres in Game three of the NLDS six to five. This is Dodger Talk David Vase, live at Pecho Park in San Diego, taking your phone calls until ten thirty tonight at eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy. As you know, I don't need to remind you. The Dodgers' backs are against the wall. It's winner go home tomorrow night in Game four of the NLDS, and they are going with a bullpen game. The Padres are going with Dylan Cease on three days rest. A couple of things about this game before we hear from Walker Bueller, from Mookie Betts and Freddie Freeman.
Speaker 3: That second inning, you gave up six.
Speaker 2: Runs, Walker Buehler, in that second inning, That's a tough way to win a playoff game. Mueller threw thirty three pitches in that inning. I applaud him from hanging in there to be able to go five innings tonight, but that second inning was disastrous. That did the Dodgers in and you look back at that inning, a few different things happened. The number one thing that stood out to me was Walker Buehler had two strikes on virtually every one of the eight hitters that he faced or nine hitters, because they batted around in that inning and he could not put them away. For the most part, two fastball to Fernando Tattis Junior, he didn't miss it. The double by David Parolta down the line that scored two. Two strikes on David Parolta couldn't put them away.
Speaker 3: So I know, we.
Speaker 2: Could talk about the flip play to Gavin Lux that wasn't made, or many Machado being in the line for obstruction or interference. But if Walker Buehler is able to put away those hitters, it's a different game and it's a different inning, and that's unfortunate when you go back and look at those plays in the second inning. Number one, Miguel Rojas most certainly should have tossed the ball to Gavin Lux on the ground ball by Xander Bogart's that was a huge misplay that cost the Dodgers. Jackson Merrill's the runner, He's a fast runner. Miguel Rojas, as we found out. Doesn't have a lot of range with the left groin adductor thing that's going on with him. So why are you trying to take it to the bag and beat a foot race with Jackson Merrill and try to throw make an unassisted double play. Toss the ball to Gavin lux who yes, was at the bag and ready for the throw. You have to get the out right there, and you have to know what your limits are. I'm sure if he could do it over again he would, But that extended the inning and put runners at first and second for David Peralta, who hit double down the right field line to score two more runs. So at that point three runs were in and the avalanche was happening, you know, Manny Machado single, and then the interference call on the ground ball by Jackson Merrill. He should have been out. He should have been called for interference. I don't know how the umpire misses that. Apparently, Miguel Rojas told the reporters that the umpire at second base tonight told him that, and that was trip. Gibson told him, I was looking at the bag, not at Manny Machado's bass line, and how he was out of the base line.
Speaker 3: In my opinion and most.
Speaker 2: Everybody else's what about all these other umpires? You're telling me the first base umpire, Dan Bellino can't make that call.
Speaker 3: I mean, you got extra umpires.
Speaker 2: Now you're telling me you guys can't get together and figure it out. That's not a reviewable play either. So that change the complexion of the inning as well. So that six run second inning did the Dodgers in the Padres never scored in any other inning except that second inning. And I'll say this as well for the Dodgers, they have shown more fight in this game and in this NLDS than what we seen the last two years in the postseason from them. So I give them credit for that, But that doesn't mean anything if you're going home tomorrow and the Dodgers have got to find a way to force a Game five and bring it back to Dodgers Stadium. And you know, I know, I said tonight was a must win for the Dodgers, and I firmly believe that their job would have been a lot easier tomorrow going into.
Speaker 3: The game with a bullpen game.
Speaker 2: I mean, here we are again, they don't have a starter in an elimination game. Last year was Lance Linnen. Tomorrow, they're going with a bullpen game.
Speaker 3: That's not ideal.
Speaker 2: And we all knew going into this series and into October the Dodgers did not have a strong starting pitching staff. But nonetheless that's where they are. But I will say this, after what I saw tonight and ta Oscar Hernandez hitting that Grand Slam and the Dodgers setting the table for him, They're not going away easy like they did last year.
Speaker 3: I can guarantee that.
Speaker 2: Eight six six, seven, two, five seventy is the phone number. We have a full boarder calls. We will get you in a second, but first let's head downstairs to hear from Walker Buehler.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, mentally, you're done six one. You just give up six runs, And you know, at some point even in five game series, the bullpen usage is a thing. And you gave up the homer to Acona in eighteen and and got through three after that in kind of similar situation. But I remember having a ton of pride about getting through five innings in that game and kind of feel similarly about this one. And obviously Teo, you know, lands A Linds a big punch for us, and gets his back in there, and you know, we come up one one run short and give up the home er to Tatis that you know, there was a bunch of mayhem and then I made a bad o two pitch and and you know, he kind of.
Speaker 3: Does what he does.
Speaker 4: And you can't give up six runs in an inning in the playoffs and and expect to win. So you know, there's some things that I have some pride about about that game. But at the end of the day, I put us in a really bad spot and and we fought back, and I just you know, the spot was too big.
Speaker 5: Just considering just the fight back. I mean, what does that say about this team and understanding what you guys are coming into tomorrow and must win situation. But do you feel like just seeing how this team pop back, it did show something that puts you on a good spot potentially for tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, losing six to five, are being down six to one is definitely better than you know, losing twenty nothing. So you know, our guys in here like being around each other. I want to keep playing, want to want to go compete together, and you know, I don't think that's something that we've we've never had, but but having it is important and this team certainly, lad.
Speaker 6: Us, how did you feel out there? Physically and emotionally on the Physically felt great, emotionally good. You know, I think that's just one of those early endings. Man, It's it's hard to kind of explain, you know, some grandma's here.
Speaker 3: All right, let's send it right there, Colin.
Speaker 2: That was I feel like nobody's asking the questions that need to be asked to Walker Buehler at that point. Disappointing start for him anyway you slice it up. He gave up six runs in the second inning. That's not good enough. Eight six, six, nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to the phones. Mike and Rancho kucka manga. You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi.
Speaker 7: Mike, Hey, David, how are you well?
Speaker 8: I know how you're feeling.
Speaker 7: I'm feeling the same way.
Speaker 8: Actually, so apologies for even asking the question. I have a couple of points. One, I got to give Roberts his kudos for kind of managing the bullpen the way that he did. Yeah, you know, Bueller gave up those six runs. Early, you know, but he gave us an opportunity to get outs and our infield wasn't able to turn those plays. So you know, I commend Walker. I commend Walker for his postgame interview. I think he took it on the chin. He didn't even mention, you know, those those ground balls that should have been out, those opportunities to be outs. And that gets me to my point about where I'm gonna have to knock Dave Roberts for not taking out Maggie row there early enough, given Key k Hernandez an opportunity to play this game, to take some at bats. He's a gamer, you know, you got to give him an opportunity to game, and he didn't even see him at bad you know, I would have liked to see him there in place of luck and given him an opportunity to maybe changed this game, but he didn't. He kept them on the bench, she didn't even use him. And it's a bullet in the holsters. So all the way around, Michael.
Speaker 3: I found, like Mike, I agree with you.
Speaker 2: I was surprised when Miguel Rojas came out of this game that it was Andy Paez that Dave Roberts went to instead of Key k Hernandez because Key k is a Gold Glove caliber defensively in center field. And isn't that what we've been told all season long that the reason why the Dodgers brought Key k Hernandez back was for October. And I believe tomorrow night, Key k Hernandez should start in center field and Tommy Edmond should start at shortstop.
Speaker 3: I appreciate the phone call. Thank you.
Speaker 2: Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number.
Speaker 3: As far as Walker Bueller goes.
Speaker 2: Bueller got bled to death by some paper cuts, but he can't be completely absolved by giving up six runs in that second inning. I'm sorry. I love the guy, but he threw thirty three pitches. He couldn't put guys away with two strikes, and that extended that bats and eventually really did him in eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy. Let's go out to Carlos sin Chino. You're on Dodger Talk Live from San Diego, Hi, Carlos.
Speaker 9: Hey, Dave, thanks for taking my call first and foremost before anything. I just want to appreciate you for taking everybody's calls all season long and obviously going into the postseason, I know a Dodger fans can get a little crazy.
Speaker 10: Won't you know?
Speaker 9: Do the good and bad?
Speaker 7: Oh, I just want to lead off with that.
Speaker 2: But that's all good, Carlos. You're making it sound like this is the last show. It's not the last show. Tomorrow night's not going to be the last show. The show rolls on.
Speaker 9: I just wanted to say, obviously, today wasn't the you know, the way we wanted it to go. Oh, A couple of errors and you know, some crazy stuff obviously happened, and you know it did this in with those six runs in that second inning. I know, I mean, I know Walker gave up those six runs. Obviously. I think we could have gone out of that jam a lot earlier, if you know, it wasn't for that freaking with Machado and the misplay for Miggy. But I do want to say I want to agree with you with that comment that you said earlier about putting Edmond at short and uh keik and center. I was just curious. I don't know what the word is on Freeman, but I mean you could kind of see he sort of played a little bothered. I know, he's, you know, trying to tough it out for us, and I mean we hit tonight.
Speaker 2: I think he hit the ball hard tonight, and I don't think, uh, you know, he's figuring it out. I wouldn't say the ankle did him in on any play tonight. The Dodgers took him out late in the game when he had a single. Chris Taylor came in to pinch run and that was another crusher for the Dodgers tonight, only having one base runner in the last six innings, Freddy single in the eighth inning.
Speaker 3: That was it. So Freddy's not the issue.
Speaker 2: And you know, let's you know, Miguel Rojas is limited defensively and offensively. He really hasn't made a difference. So uh, that's why I believe the Dodgers October player keithky Hernandez needs to be in there tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Thanks for the phone call, Carlos, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Eight six six seven two five seventy Dodgers a fall in Game three of the NLDS six to five to the Padres. I want to head back downstairs right now to hear from Freddie Freeman on Sports at LA.
Speaker 10: What a fuck about the season?
Speaker 11: As a marathon, and the fact that you need to play one mute time.
Speaker 6: But when you're facing elimination in the end of an entire season, does a mindset where the approach change at all.
Speaker 12: Thinks it's the same pressure cud from the first game. Every game is trying to you know, it's treated as the end of the season because you're just never known in the playoffs, so you know, just that one beginning in the second and I'm happy for walkers and give us some link there and the ole point it was awesome, and just think anything more after the grand slam your throat. It's a big call for interference. I've looked at it many many times, replayed it in my head many times, or taught his base runners. I would have done the same thing as a base runner to banana in it. But usually you're supposed to do it after one or two steps in the dirt and go. But I would have done the same thing as a base runner. And you know, it's I'm really far in the grass and he got really far in the grass. I can certainly say I wouldn't do anything different. At first, I thought I made a perfect throw and just clicked his left shoulder and banana it enough into the into the line. Just that's what we're taught his base runners to get into the line, and you know he did it there.
Speaker 3: Freddie, what's it going to take you to get this here respectable?
Speaker 7: Sad?
Speaker 9: Yeah, we're gonna.
Speaker 12: Score more runs than them. I just you know, I like that we fought, we came back after that six run inning. I know, doctor fans don't want to hear about fighting and stuff. But take the positive and.
Speaker 4: Come out here tomorrow.
Speaker 12: And you know, Mookie got some hits today and things are looking good, so we can get back on it tomorrow.
Speaker 13: Just compared as the last couple of years.
Speaker 8: You guys have face.
Speaker 12: I'm not even thinking about the last couple of years. If you're thinking about the last couple of years, now, that's the wrong attitude. We got to worry about tomorrow. I'm yeah, Mike just asked, I mean, get your tweaked it. I didn't tweak anything, and I just feels the same, just doing the best I can.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: There's Freddy Freeman on sports and at LA, and I love hearing his perspective because he was the one throwing the baseball to Miguel Roahas in the second inning, when Machado obviously created his own base path to second base. But as he described it, and he described it perfectly, the banana type of a baseline that Machado created for himself. Usually you create your baseline within one to two steps. It seemed like Machado already had taken at least two steps before he started to, uh, you know, banana out as Freddy said, onto the grass. So very fifty to fifty type call as far as interference goes, and unfortunately it went against the Dodgers. Eight six, six, nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Another part of all this is the Dodger offense. Like I mentioned earlier, the Dodgers had only one base runner in the last six innings, that was Freddy Freeman's single in the top of the eighth inning. When you look at Max Muncy, will Smith, Gavin Lux, Tommy Edmund tonight, they were combined zero for fifteen with five drikeouts. That's not conducive to passing the baton, moving the line and flipping the lineup over to Dodgers had a lot of swings and misses and nobody had more of them than Max Munsey. Munsey took nine swings tonight, seven of them were misses. Also, coming into this series, I was asked who was the X factor, and I said it was Will Smith because he was going to come up in a lot of situations with runners on base that you know, the pitchers, the padres were going to pitch around other guys in this lineup and maybe be a little bit too fine, which was going to create opportunities for Will Smith. Well, Will Smith tonight was OH for four in this series. Will Smith is a combined OH for eight. That's tough to win as well. Remember Will Smith is supposed to be this offensive juggernaut from behind the plate. He just hasn't been that guy so far in this series. He was OH for two in Game one with a couple of walks. He was OH for two with a couple of walks in Game two, and tonight he WASZH for four. He does not have a hit in the NLDS yet, who does is Mookie Betts. He was getting a lot of criticism coming into the game tonight, being OH for his last twenty two in the postseason, three for his last forty four in the playoffs. Tonight, he hit a home run in the first inning to give the Dodgers the lead. Profar got a glove on it, going over the short wall down there the forty two sign here at Pego Park, but it was too far out of his reach, and you just saw the confidence in Mookie Betts.
Speaker 3: He already was defeated.
Speaker 2: Even though he hit a home run, he was headed back to the Dodger dugout. It was a home run kind of tells you where Mooki's head was at. But Muki had two hits tonight, included being on base when ta Oscar Hernandez hit his grand slamming the third inning. Let's go downstairs right now to here from Mookie Bets on sports net LA.
Speaker 12: I mean, it was cool.
Speaker 14: You know, obviously losing sucks and so it really kind of doesn't matter. But I mean, you know, I think, no, it was okay. Personally it was okay, but definitely it doesn't matter.
Speaker 5: Just considering how you guys did fight back in this one, though, does it give you all something to build off of heading into tomorrow.
Speaker 14: I mean, I think the winner lost today. Tomorrow's a new day, and so we know it's going to be a fight. Every game is going to be a fight. So we just got to turn the page. What's going to fuel this team?
Speaker 6: You've been through the frustrations the past, believes what it's going to feel.
Speaker 9: You to keep the season going to line?
Speaker 15: I mean, I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 14: I mean, you just got to keep playing. I mean the World Series. That that's what fuels. I don't think there's like a magic potion or something, you know. I think we're all trying to do the same thing, and that's win a World Series, and each game is is one stepping stone towards.
Speaker 13: That, which is when you thought pro far came up with that ball initially in the first Yeah, I mean the the first game.
Speaker 14: I know they kind of Rob didn't act like he didn't catch it, and so I kind of thought it was the same thing. But uh fortunately went.
Speaker 9: Over did that?
Speaker 13: I mean, obviously the result is what you want, but did having that and then the single later kind of take off some of the pressure you've been feeling just with your own performance.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean, whatever that we lost, So there's no personal goals out there right now. We just wanna win a World Series and however we get there, it is how we get there, But the main thing is getting there.
Speaker 13: How frustrating was it to be able to jump back in the game as quickly as you guys did, but did not be able to complete it, you know, offensively?
Speaker 14: I mean it's not it's just tough. I mean, it's not necessarily frustrating. You know, the game's part of the game. You know, the game's gonna go. We're gonna haven bere ups in your downs. Just uh, we didn't hit en up to obviously score more runs, and so we got to figure something out tomorrow.
Speaker 9: What did you make of that?
Speaker 14: Anywhere?
Speaker 16: It seemed like balls are just kind of bouncing crazy man.
Speaker 4: He got hit by a ball and.
Speaker 17: A couple of ground balls to walk around a tough time gating gett a.
Speaker 14: Uh spaceball, spaceball. You never know where the ball is gonna bounce, how it's gonna bounce. You know, he ran the basis the right way. So, uh, that's part of part of the game.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: There's Mookie Bets on sports and at la at eight sixty six, nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers fall to the Padres six to five in Game three, the NLDS. When we continue lying from Peco Park in San Diego, we will take more of your phone calls. We have a full board of calls at eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy. We'll also head downstairs to get more postgame reaction after the Dodgers fall to the Padres six to five on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 18: On air at AM five seventy, online at AM five seventy LA sports dot com, and available my podcast on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: This is Dodger Tom with David Basse. Another one too.
Speaker 13: Hernandez HiT's a high fly ball center field Merrill going back.
Speaker 19: He's on the warning track at the wall.
Speaker 17: God and grand ti Oscar Hernandez parking down the first baseline, a grand slam of the Dodgers are right back at it.
Speaker 2: David Vasse live at Peco Park in San Diego, after the Dodgers come up a buck short in Game three of the NLDS falling to the Padres six to five, eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number there? It was Tioscar Hernandez is big grand slam to pull within one run The Dodgers did not have another base runner until the top of the eighth inning, and they fall six to five to the Padres tonight in Game three of the NLDS. Daniels Jewelers is the official sponsor of the Trip around the Diamond. Stop by any Daniel's location and say home run for your free team bracelet and fifty dollars gift card toward any purchase of ninety nine dollars or more.
Speaker 3: Daniel's Jewelers own the Dream. Look. The Dodgers are in.
Speaker 2: A tough spot right They don't have a starting pitcher for tomorrow. It's not ideal to have a bullpen game in an elimination game. The Padres are going with Dylan Cees on three days rest. But the Dodgers need to have better at bats. And I love what Jose Mota said when he brought up with Tim Hyer's text his hitters last year during the World Series, where he told his hitters, let's all have a two strike approach from the first inning on. That's what the Dodgers need because too many big swings, too many swings and misses, and that's not going to work. I know hitting home runs is a big part of the postseason, but they are far and few between. Despite the Padres hitting six in Game two. Uh, that is not a way to live or die in the playoffs. You saw it in the third inning for the Dodgers. They strung together three consecutive base hits before Taoscar Hernandez hit a grand slam off of Michael King, which, by the way, was an eighty five flat sweeper. A lot of pressure, no margin for air for King right there. So that's that's going to be an interesting way to live for the Dodgers moving forward. They've got to find a way to have shorter swings and to be able to string together some hits. By the way, with the loss tonight, the Dodgers now have seven straight postseason losses on the road during the playoffs. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number.
Speaker 3: I was a little distracted.
Speaker 2: I wasn't sure if somebody from the press box was screaming at me to not be doing my radio show. Not sure what they were doing. All right, let's go out to the phones, Ken in Newport. We're here until ten thirty, like it or not.
Speaker 3: How you doing, Ken, hy David?
Speaker 20: You answered a lot of the things that were bothering me, but these are two things that bothered me the most. Yeah, they were bad in fielding and when they scored all those six runts.
Speaker 7: They actually interviewed Dave after that ended.
Speaker 20: And asked him why he didn't take Bueller out, and his responses, well, we're saving our relievers for tomorrow. Really, that's something if you just gave up on the game, Dave. The other thing that really bothers me one for twenty one after the Hernandez home run one for twenty one, four guys are hitting under two.
Speaker 7: One hundred and.
Speaker 9: This is not good.
Speaker 20: I mean, this is total choking and you cannot expect to win. And it's been eight of the last nine years under Freeman and Roberts that they haven't won the World Series. I don't know what to say other than this was a massive disappointment for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I believe, well, you know, the Dodgers need to make some changes in their starting lineup tomorrow. They just can't continue with these same guys that are swinging and missing. And like I said, Key k Hernandez was signed back to play for the Dodgers for playoff time and we haven't seen them all but two at bats when he came in because of Freeman's injury in Game two. So I'm a firm believer it's not too late to have Key k Hernandez have an impact on this series.
Speaker 7: I agree with you, all right.
Speaker 3: Ken, Thanks for the phone call. Yeah, that's what I meant.
Speaker 2: One base runner since uh, the sixth inning on or and that's not something that is going to work. The Dodgers felt like it felt like the Padres were allowing the Dodgers to hang around a little bit too long, but unfortunately they only had one base runner the last six innings of this game. Let's go out to La Luis. You're on Dodger Talk Live from San Diego.
Speaker 7: Hi Luis, Hi, David, thank you for taking my call. I just want to mention three things for the Dodgers to win tomorrow.
Speaker 2: They're gonna have to have a consistent defense, consistent offense, and with consistent pitching.
Speaker 7: That's the only way you're going to win tomorrow. Other than that, the bats, to me, they're going to have to explode tomorrow if they want to. They want to win this game, for it, for it to send it to a game Fipper right now, it has to be a pitch by pitch type of thing where you have to secure this win to get to get a win and avoid the theys. That's what I don't want, all.
Speaker 3: Right, all right, Louis, thank you for all the cliches. We appreciated.
Speaker 2: Eight six, six, nine, eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. By the way, the Dodgers' last road win in the playoffs was Game five of the twenty one NLDS against the San Francisco Giants. Remember that one, Max Scherzer coming out of the bullpen to save the game and then tapping out in the NLCS. That was the last time the Dodgers won a road playoff game. And look, if they can get this to a Game five and at Dodgers Stadium, they would be in a great position. But a bullpen game on the road, Uh, that's a tall order to ask from your team. And they just got to find a way to score runs. We talked about this at the beginning of the series. We all knew the Dodgers were very thin with their pitching. They needed to score at least five or six runs to win a game. Tonight, they scored five, butker Bueller gave up six in the second inning and some poor defensive place behind him as well. Wand was at Peco Park tonight?
Speaker 3: Hi wan?
Speaker 2: What was the experience like for you at Peco Park tonight?
Speaker 21: Look, I'm not gonna liehard Dodger fan. Grew up a Dodger fan. But what that crowd brings to the Podgers game, It's crazy.
Speaker 18: I've been to many.
Speaker 7: I mean, I get it.
Speaker 21: There was for it was one Dodger fan for every five thousand fans. I guess you wanted three thousand fans of theirs. I mean, we weren't that many Dodger fans, and I get it.
Speaker 7: They blow.
Speaker 2: Well the reason why is because they blocked Dodger fans out. You had to have a San Diego area code or a ZIP code to be able to purchase tickets, so they got what they wanted.
Speaker 7: I got lucky.
Speaker 21: One of my salesmen gave me a pair of take it easy, and I'm like, hell, yeah, I'm not going to take a problem. I'm on my way over there.
Speaker 3: Let's go. Yeah.
Speaker 21: But what I wanted to Yeah, but one thing I wanted to bring up, you know one and you probably talked about it. We kid, we brought Keken back mcke's because he's a he's a playoff guy. Why isn't I like Maximunsey's defense, but my god to play start him at third, start him at their Maximunkey or a center.
Speaker 2: You could maybe it's time to have keyk and center and Chris Taylor at third or some combination of that. You know, they they started both those guys in an elimination game last year and Taylor almost helped the Dodgers stave off elimination, but he hit it to the deepest part of the ballpark. Look, I'm not saying starting Key a Hernandez is going to guarantee you a win, but it bears the question to be asked, why hasn't he gotten more of an opportunity, especially with a limited Miguel Rojas. Thanks for the phone call, one appreciated. Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Mirietta. Bryce, You're on Dodger Talk Live from Pego Park. Hi, Bryce, Hey.
Speaker 10: David, I just want to say there's gonna be a lot of negativity with a lot of Dodger fans, but in retrospect. We just have to steal one game tomorrow and bring it back to La. The Padres have already tipped their hand and they're bringing season on three days rest. We already saw him in our last series in the regular season and beat him, and then we ended up winning in Game one when he pitched as well. We've lived and we've died by the bullpens. All right, it's gonna come down to it. It's just how it is with all of our injuries, and at the end of the day, we have sho hailed Tani and Mookie Betts. Freddy Freeman has already proved he's gonna give it his all at the end of the day, these guys are not gonna quit. So I just want to bring some positivity to all Dodger fans.
Speaker 2: All right, Brice, appreciate it. Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Like I said, I feel like we have seen more fight from the Dodgers in this series and in this game than we saw in each of the last two years. So that is something to be optimistic about that the Dodgers, even if they go down in the game tomorrow night, they're not just going to lay down. We saw that tonight they very easily could have packed it in after going down six to one. But not only ta Oscar hitting the Grand Slam, but how about the guys ahead of him that continue to fight and set the table for him. They strung together three consecutive hits. So I think all of that is very encouraging, But the facts are they lost the game tonight, and you can string together all the hits you want, but if you lose tomorrow, you're going home. Bottom line is, forget about all this other stuff. They've got to find a way to win, and it's going to be a challenge going with a bullpen game. You're asking multiple pitchers to be able to be on their game to hold down the opposition that sometimes doesn't always go to plan, and that's where they are. We knew going into this series the Dodgers had Landon Knack as their fourth starter, and what we saw in the last regular season series in Denver told us the Dodgers were at the very least considering using an opener before they went to Landon Nac. That's what we're going to see tomorrow and we'll see how far it goes or when Neck gets into into the game. Eight six, six, nine, eight, seven two five seventy is the phone number Dodgers fall to the Padres. In Game three of the NLDS six to five, San Diego scored six runs in a disastrous second inning for Walker Bueller and the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: Fernando Tattis Junior.
Speaker 2: If you had to hand out an MVP trophy so far in this series, it would have to go to Fernando Tattis Junior, who hit his fourth home run in this series. Let's head downstairs right now to hear from Tatis and former Dodger David Peralta, who had a two run double in that six run second inning.
Speaker 16: Definitely no fear, but that's something that you build through the year, you know, getting experienced playing against those guys, and uh yeah, definitely no fear. I mean, we're showing out to play the best basketball we can, especially knowing the type of group that we're facing. So man, we just were just showing up and playing ball.
Speaker 4: Mark second row on the left.
Speaker 11: How you've obviously had a lot of big home runs here, but how did that one tonight rate as far as the crowd noise and what did you say to your dugout, because you were obviously saying something to the dugout on the way to first base.
Speaker 16: Definitely the noise that has to be up there, Uh, I guess so. And man, then when I headed, I didn't know. I just I just blacked out, started screaming at my dugout. Just the energy through the roof, especially that type of inning that we build after two outs, but I had getting the big double people on base. I mean, it was just momentum and Man's definitely definitely a beautiful finish at the end of that inning.
Speaker 4: But the third round the.
Speaker 11: Left Fernando, this is your first time playing like a legitimate MLB postseason, because in twenty twenty there were fans for most of it.
Speaker 3: What has this experience been like? Is it?
Speaker 14: I'm sure you thought about it a lot of your mind going into this.
Speaker 9: So what has it been like so far?
Speaker 16: It's just beautiful, Definitely rewarding to through everything that I've been to, through what we have been through as a group, you know, building building together to get over here is just really really hard work from from the front office, from the players, you know, getting involved, putting their heart into it. And man, when you when you play baseball like this in a postseason is you know, you get all those memory backs and you just feel grateful where you at and just embracing every single moment and definitely not taking for granted.
Speaker 2: All Right, There's Fernando Tattoos Junior and David Peralta after the Padres defeat the Dodgers in Game three of the NLDS six to five.
Speaker 3: The final score.
Speaker 2: Game four coming up tomorrow night at Pecko Park, Same bad time, same bad channel, Morono Casino. Dodgers on Deck begins at five o'clock with first pitch just a little after six oh five.
Speaker 3: Let's go back out to the phones.
Speaker 2: Manuel in Guardina, you're on Dodger Talk live from Petco Park.
Speaker 7: Hi, Many, Hey DV.
Speaker 18: Excellent job. Man, I'm gonna kind of echo with last guy said, Man, you know what, I'm gonna keep it positive right now going into tomorrow. It's Mount Everest to climb, right, But we've seen it done before, you know, Uh, the Dodgers have climbed some insurmountable hills and come out on top.
Speaker 7: And that's what we got to hope for.
Speaker 18: Man, Just gotta hope that we don't get no BS calls or anything like that, because you know, it affects the mentality. It seems like of the team, as any team that gets you know, jobbed gets affected. But that's not an excuse. Man, they beat us, you gotta tip your hat to them. I hate tatis, but you know what, man easy right now, the quotoe Pedro Martinez, he's our daddy, and Manny much fraud ho too.
Speaker 9: Also.
Speaker 18: Man, hey, man, they're they're they're putting.
Speaker 19: It on us.
Speaker 18: So we just got to hope that this heart comes through because I'm seeing the heart too, Dave. And we just need more from the bottom of the lineup. Man, that's the bottom line. We need more from the bottom of the lineup. But I'm gonna believe man keeping.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers up. That was the success for the Dodgers in Game one. They're uh seven eight nine hitters got on base for Otani, and that's what the Padres don't want to see base runners when Otani comes to the plate, and the last two games they have not been able to create some traffic when Otani comes up, and that makes life a lot easier for the opposing pitchers. Thanks for the phone call, Manuel and Guardina eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy Otani by the way, one for for tonight, Mookie bets two for four with a first inning home run that he wasn't sure of. Neither was anybody else in the ballpark, as Jerkson Profar almost rob Mooky again of a home run in the first inning.
Speaker 3: This time it was.
Speaker 2: Beyond the outreach glove of tatists down the line in left field, and just speaking of it, it reminded me that I wanted to bring this point up. Our guy, Joe Davis is getting a lot of, you know, unwarranted criticism from folks that are outside of LA in particular former padre Eric Hosmer, who has a platform, he has a really good podcast, but he's just like everybody else in America.
Speaker 3: Joe Buck used to run into this as well.
Speaker 2: If if the game isn't going your team's way, you want to blame Joe Buck or in this case, Joe Davis.
Speaker 3: Dodger fans love Joe Davis.
Speaker 2: Some may think that, oh, he's doing a little bit too much for the Padres. On the padres side of things, they think that he's shading towards the Dodgers I can tell you Joe Davis is a pros pro. He's calling the game right down the middle. We all know he's a Dodger broadcaster, but when he's on a national broadcast with John Smoltz as the a voice of Major League Baseball, he is not trying to shade it the Dodgers way. If you go back to listen to the home run call of Fernando Tattis Junior, he called it the way he would a Mookie Bets home run in June for the Dodgers. So I really thought it was a cheap shot from a former player in Eric Costmer to go after Joe Davis. You expect that from somebody in El cahoone, but you don't expect that from a former major league player Eric Costmer. So I just wanted to point that out that I feel like Joe Davis is getting a lot of unwarranted shade from the Padres faithful out there. If things are not going your way, you're going to blame him. You're going to start to believe that he's calling the game from the Dodgers side, which he's not. Eight six six, nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't know.
Speaker 2: I honestly haven't heard the game, but i know who Joe Davis is. And I'm listening to Rick Monday and Stephen Nelson. Let's go out to Montabello. Rudy, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 4: Hi Rudy, Hi Dave, Thank thank you for taking him a call.
Speaker 7: I just had three things to say.
Speaker 22: We can't blaming Bueler Builder Builder, he had a bad ending, yeares he did, But when the deafis did nothing? Throw Freddy did to second base wasn't a good one.
Speaker 7: What about Miguel Robas? What about Duley?
Speaker 3: I pointed that out, Rudy, I pointed that out.
Speaker 2: But the fact is he had two strikes on a lot of those hitters, Rudy, and he can't put them away.
Speaker 3: Bad players. I'm going to have been behind you. You've got to find a way not to give up six runs.
Speaker 15: And another thing, Max Monsey, Max Munsey and Will Smith they keep swinging at the first pitch. Why you said it earlier? How come they just don't have patience? But they want to hit for defenses? Why do they want to hit for the defences all the time?
Speaker 2: Well, Max Munsey is a three true outcome player, Rudy, you know what that is, right, yes, sir, home run, strikeout or walk. That's Max Munsey and right now he's striking out a lot more than he's walking or hitting home runs.
Speaker 3: So that's why it looks ugly.
Speaker 2: But Will Smith, I don't know when we're going to find out the truth, but Will Smith has not looked like himself since the beginning of June. I'm not sure what is going on or when we're going to find out the real story. But there's got to be something physical going on with Will Smith because he can't catch up the fastballs and that's two years running now.
Speaker 3: He to me, he was the X factor of this series.
Speaker 2: They needed to get Will Smith to drive in runs and he's zero for eight with UH with four walks and two strikeouts. They need Will Smith and they haven't gotten him yet so far this series.
Speaker 3: Thanks for the phone call, Rudy appreciated.
Speaker 2: Eight six y six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Padres beat the Dodgers tonight six to five, And like I said, you know, Walker Buehler, he was a victim of the paper cuts, no doubt about it.
Speaker 3: But he can't be absolved of that six run second inning.
Speaker 2: Let's go out to Tyler, who is at Petco Park tonight. Hi, Tyler, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 1: Hey, Hey, Dave, I feel like you're putting way too much pressure on Walker.
Speaker 7: He's had a great pressure inning there.
Speaker 1: And listen, he was he was a victim of Manny Mafrado. If that guy doesn't pull his punt BS and go inside the line, we're out of that inning, maybe with one run.
Speaker 20: So I mean Manny.
Speaker 2: Tossing it to Gavin Lux that was another one. Look, Freddie Freeman said it perfectly. He would have done the same thing. Machado made a smart baseball play and he got away with it.
Speaker 1: Well, we we we got to change the rules then, because that's that's BS and and and you know what.
Speaker 7: I I don't.
Speaker 1: Think Vanny Mafrado gets enough flack around the league for all the antics that he pulls.
Speaker 3: That's for sure.
Speaker 1: He needs to be the hoe they can say, go look, they look down upon it's just a punk of the league.
Speaker 2: All right, Tyler, thanks for the phone call. Hey, that's the that's the emotions that many Machado sparks he is the ultimate heel in Major League Baseball. Let's go out to Corona. Eric, You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 19: Hi, Eric any thanks for taking the call. But you know that previous color I put more blame on Rojas.
Speaker 7: I mean, that's just a week take from that guy.
Speaker 19: But what I was trying to call about is, Uh, these Dogger teams, year by your we get the same playoff energy.
Speaker 9: I hate to say.
Speaker 19: So this game did not fall on Roberts at all. It are the players, But I hate to say, but it's tension Roberts. These teams roll in with tension every year and the same energy. Players change in and out, different year, different players. We get the same attitude from these players. I add to the biggest elephant in the room. I mean, you hear the guys talk postgame, in pregame for these playoff games. He's not the same Roberts as we get during the regular season. Honestly, I think that is the biggest issue with the organization.
Speaker 2: By the same Dave Roberts as we get during the regular season.
Speaker 3: You feel like he's a little tight. Is that what you're saying, Eric.
Speaker 19: He's a whole, He's a whole different character. He's a whole different person. He's chill, lax Roberts come playoffs. I think they're just feeding off the energy he gives them.
Speaker 7: That's just my personal take on it.
Speaker 2: I feel like Roberts has been pretty relax this playoffs. Eric, I don't feel like that's the correct read on Dave Roberts this postseason.
Speaker 3: I know what you're saying.
Speaker 2: Maybe in years past he's felt that, but not this postseason. It feels like he's a little bit more relaxed and understands these are the players and pitchers he's he has, and you know tomorrow he doesn't have a starting pitcher, so they're going with a bullpen game. They actually have a starting pitcher in Landon Knack. We'll see how this all works out, but it's not ideal to use a bullpen game on the road.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: The last time the Dodgers did win a playoff game, Eric on the road was back in Game five of the twenty one NLDS and if you remember, they got away with an opener and then Julio Orias and they.
Speaker 3: Won that game.
Speaker 2: So maybe maybe it is a bullpen game that helps them win again, because that's the way they went the last time opener Julio Orias and then Max Scherzer.
Speaker 3: So we'll see how it works out.
Speaker 2: But honestly, I don't feel like Dave Roberts has done any thing to cost the Dodgers in this series. I just would love to see him penciling Key k Hernandez tomorrow night in center field.
Speaker 19: Well, well tension, Roberts would have won a freelancing guy like keyk out there.
Speaker 9: So back to that point.
Speaker 3: All right, Eric, thank you for the phone call. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to El Paso, Texas. Omar, You're on Dodger Talk with David basse Hi. Omar, Omar, you waited all this time. You're there, He goes, Look, the one thing I could say is, I know it's easy to blame Dave Roberts when things don't go the Dodgers way in the playoffs, But what could you point out tonight or in the any of the three games of the NLDS that Dave Roberts has done to directly cost the Dodgers the game? He just has it same thing last year. You can argue whether or not he should have taken lance Lynn out or not. But you know, honestly, Dave Roberts has done a pretty good job of managing this series. There's nothing that he has done or hasn't done that has cost the Dodgers. He had to, you know, manage a game tonight where he knows he has to use relievers tomorrow, and Walker Bueller was able to get out of that second inning and pitch through five, which really helped out what the Dodgers plan is for tomorrow.
Speaker 3: But I also do understand the flip side.
Speaker 2: You have to win today before you even think about tomorrow. And we did not see anybody warming up behind Walker Buehler, which told us Dave was going to hang him out there to find a way to get out of it. It's not like he was pitching horribly, but he just couldn't put hitters away. And it is tough in the playoffs to allow a pitcher to stay in a game when you're giving up not just two or three runs, but six runs and one inning. That is rough in a playoff game to watch that. And obviously he gave his explanation because he wants to go to the bullpen game. I should say that's the team's decision. You know, Dave Roberts doesn't make those decisions on his own or in a vacuum. It's Brendan Gomes, it's Andrew Friedman, it's their staff that is collaborating with Dave Roberts and saying, you know what, this is the way we're going to go, and we're.
Speaker 3: Going to manage it this way.
Speaker 2: And that's the cards that they have been dealt, or Dave Roberts has been dealt, going into an elimination game, a bullpen game tomorrow night here at Peco Park, while the Padres are going with Dylan Cees on three days rest Morongo Casino. Dodgers on Deck begins at five o'clock first pitch from Peco Park with Rick Monday and Steven Nelson. A little bit after six h five, then I'll do it for us tonight on Dodger Talk. Thanks for all the phone calls. Appreciate. Hopefully the Dodgers can extend the season and force a game five.
Speaker 3: If not, they are going home.
Speaker 2: That's what's at stake tomorrow night here at Pego Park. It will be electric as it was tonight here in San Diego, thanks to Colin Ye back at our Burbank Studios. Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Petco Park. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app once again. The final score in Game three of the NLBS, the Padres defeat the Dodgers six to five.
Speaker 3: Have a great rest of your night. We'll talk to you tomorrow. See you
Speaker 14: Away.