Speaker 1: Hudson Riverradio dot com.
Speaker 2: Now we have to find another school for you.
Speaker 3: And if you get kicked out of that one, you're going straight in the army. Well, you'll be sent straight to America's latest military quagmire. Will it be North Korea? Iran?
Speaker 4: Anything's possible with Commander Kuckoo Bananas in charge?
Speaker 5: How does sassa Janni from the Asberry Jukes?
Speaker 6: Hey, this is Tom Chapin.
Speaker 3: Hello, just preaching in Rock and Roll History Show.
Speaker 7: You're listening right now?
Speaker 3: Hey, everybody, welcome back to the Rock and Roll History Show on Hudson River Radio. I'm Brian Horowitz. Remember in high school, all that geometry that he kept saying, when am I ever gonna use this? Why do I need to know that?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 3: Guess what tonight we're talking about shapes and we're gonna use it, and you're gonna have to call your old man teacher and apologize when this show is over. But before we hop in has always allowed me to introduce all the crambones who were joining us here tonight, First and foremost from the Richter Observatory. He hates speed bumps, but he's slowly getting over them. Neil Richter is back.
Speaker 5: Oh, it's gonna be a bumpy ride today.
Speaker 3: I think, oh, very good.
Speaker 5: Well, how are you doing?
Speaker 8: Everybody?
Speaker 3: Good to see you from paranormal yours. She believes Humpty Dumpty was pushed Gail Nuclem's back.
Speaker 9: Hi Gail, and he wants the wall.
Speaker 3: From the silver screen. After the Saint Patrick's Day parade, she was in a bar, one of those that had all the aquariums all the way around it. So in walks a pipe and drum band, and one of the guys puts his bagpipes down so he could go get a drink, and an octopus crawls out of the aquarium makes its way over to the bagpipes. The guy comes back and says, what are you doing, and the octopus says, I'm trying to get her pajamas off. Mercedes Kent is here.
Speaker 2: Perfect but with the beer green, That's all I want to know. Of course, it was okay, good at hey, everybody.
Speaker 3: And finally, after a multi week absence, making his triumphant return. Some say it's got the most triumphant in the history of our country. Nobody has ever had this much triumphant in terms of levels of triumphant there's so much triumphant. We're gonna slap thirty percent tariff on the triumphant coming in from Mexico, or as they like to call it, l triumphant. He's our official teacher. He never farts in the classroom. He's a private tutor. Welcome back, John Kelly.
Speaker 10: Hey, everybody, it's great to be back.
Speaker 7: And it's a huge.
Speaker 3: Return, huge triumphant. No one's ever seen this amount of triumphant.
Speaker 10: Nobody, nobody, Frankly. Frankly, it's just enormous.
Speaker 3: It's levels that have never been seen before. As our official medical person, she wants to know why saying have a nice day is considered polite, but saying enjoy the next twenty four hours is somehow creepy.
Speaker 9: Jessica Dean is bad.
Speaker 11: Hey, everybody, how are you?
Speaker 3: And, last, but not least, the host of shaving cream, She learned that Rossini composed the William tell overture all by himself. That makes him the lone arranger. Barbara, Hi, Barb, very good, Ryan, thank you? Hey, everybody. All right, I'm done torturing everybody tonight. We're talking about shapes, geometry, all that good stuff. We're gonna hop right in and John, since you've been gone the longest and you have the most homework to make up for, you get to go first.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 10: Well, for the subject of shapes, there is a plethora of choices to pick from. Actually, the toughest part of this was not finding a decent piece of music. It was weeding through what would be the best for the show. And a lot of my choices that I've picked over the last few months even before that have kind of gravitated to the late sixties and seventies, I think, and tonight is no different. So I have picked Circle Sky from the Monkeys and this was a ninety nineteen sixty eight version. It was written by Michael Nesmith. Okay, and it also appeared in their film called Head as a live concert performance. It's an interesting song. It's it's written in performance in a style of reminiscent to Bo Diddley, mostly in a single chord a major, and the lyrics are impressions of sights and sounds on a Monkey's tour, while Hamilton's smiling down, one of the lyrics refers to heavy to a Hamilton music stand used for rehearsal. Rehearsals and recording. Now, that's not something I would have I even realized had I not been a part of this show. Just dismissed it as a cool little you know, toe tapping kind of a monkey song, like all the monkey songs are toe tapping, you know. I kind of like it there. Sometimes I look at the Monkeys as a what's the word I'm looking for?
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 10: They're kind of like a lost late sixties band to me. You don't hear much about them. You did in the seventies, maybe a little in the eighties, but I don't know. I can't speak for the rest of you, but you know, the Monkeys are not spoken about as other you know.
Speaker 3: Yes they did. They had a reunion in the eighties, like eighty six ish and they did it tour. And Mickey Dolan's is still out playing all over the place. He hasn't slowed down. So right, they're out there.
Speaker 10: They're out there exactly, So why don't we get right into the song and then I have a little bit of a little piece about it after when we're done.
Speaker 3: So it's just.
Speaker 4: Put be very.
Speaker 3: Very but very flock.
Speaker 4: Yes, but very.
Speaker 8: Thin.
Speaker 12: Let let's do.
Speaker 4: H played it once?
Speaker 10: Let me, okay, that was Circle Sky by the Monkeys. Kind of a little interesting little tidbit about the song itself. While the movie that we were talking about earlier included the song performed live from the Monkeys in Salt Lake City, Utah, in May of nineteen sixty eight during a free show at the Valley Music Hall, the original soundtrack album instead substituted a studio recording made by Nessmuth and session musicians, which that became a bit of tension with the entire group. The film version also intercut Vietnam War footage with concert footage and featured several mirrored shots of the band on stage. So I think this is true, like late sixties, early seventies kind of psychedelic monkeys is kind of the best way to describe it. But you know, it's a fun song. You know, they were a fun group. They probably were fun to hang out with back in the day if you had the opportunity, I'm sure, But I hope you all enjoyed it.
Speaker 3: Cool. Yeah, that was a good one at the beginning. Was almost a little pearl Jamie. Yeah, you know, yeah, cute, yeah, absolutely, all right, Well, welcome back, Thank you, John.
Speaker 10: Thank you everybody good to be here, and Jess, you are up.
Speaker 11: Okay.
Speaker 1: So when we first discussed this topic and I started looking for ideas, I saw lots of songs about circles, diamonds, hearts, and stars.
Speaker 11: I was looking for something really unique.
Speaker 1: So when I came across a song called Parallelograms, I was definitely intrigued. The song fits the topic for sure, so I think I nailed this assignment. Even the lyrics are basically just.
Speaker 11: Names of shapes.
Speaker 1: The song is by Linda Perhacks and was first released in nineteen seventy and it was largely unsuccessful. So of course I was thinking, why would anybody write about this? Is there a deeper hidden meaning.
Speaker 11: To these lyrics?
Speaker 1: In my quest to find these answers, I came across an amazing article and interview with the artist which was published by NPR in twenty fourteen. So Linda Perhacks was a dental hygienist who worked in Los Angeles and had a lot of celebrities as clients in you know, in her practice.
Speaker 11: So they came to get their teeth cleaned.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: She she also so she had her life as a dental hygienist and and interacting with these, you know, all kinds of famous people and stuff. And then where she lived was basically in sort of a hippie kind of area, and a lot of her friends and her husband at the time like this very artsy kind of musical sort of culture, and you know, her she had this creative side and wanted to write music and stuff, so so she she would she would write and do pieces.
Speaker 2: And one day one of her.
Speaker 1: Dental hygiene clients, who was not an actor but more on the production side of things, and she did say that she really always enjoyed like interacting with those individuals. It was Leonard Rosenman, and you know, he was saying, like, you're you're deeper than this, like I know that there's something about you that's, you know, more than just a dental hygienis.
Speaker 11: And she's like, how did you know?
Speaker 1: So I guess they were looking for, you know, more material, like the next big thing, and he was like, I want you to write something for me, like give me a tape, and she did and he fell in love with it, and you know, wanted to move forward with production, which they did, and then of course the label like basically completely changed her music and it was not successful at all. She even said when she got her copy of the vinyl, she threw it in the trash. So I want to read to you a little bit of something that she said about writing the music itself. So she was talking about taking a drive on the venture, a freeway like kind of through the desert, and she said, in the sky, I saw beautiful lights, hard to describe, but they were so magnificent. And I said, Linda, you're seeing music, you're just not hearing it. Stop and draw what you're seeing before you forget.
Speaker 6: So she did.
Speaker 1: So she went into a deserted gas station and started drawing pictures on pieces of paper so that she wouldn't forget what she'd seen. And then she went home, took a melody that she'd been working on and put it on the front end of that idea and created this three dimensional sound sculpture from the beauty that she had just seen in the sky, and that was the song Parallelograms. So that was her vision when she was creating the song, and then, like I said, when it was actually ultimately produced, and then, like pressed, it was not the sound that she wanted. She described the album as it was wooden. It had no depth. When I heard my first vinyl, I threw it in the trash. It bothered me. I said, I can't listen to this. So that was again what was produced in the nineteen seventies. So the songs are somewhere in the neighborhood of about four and a half minutes long.
Speaker 11: You'll get the idea when you hear the first bit.
Speaker 1: So let's take a listen to what was originally released in nineteen.
Speaker 8: Seventy long Grab lou Spy, You're a long grad Spy, roun round rail Ground.
Speaker 7: Quacky Drew.
Speaker 3: To Lucky you Drew.
Speaker 7: You don't want to sign side see.
Speaker 6: Ba ground.
Speaker 7: Spa ground Spy, ground.
Speaker 2: Semibal Semi many.
Speaker 13: Realrial.
Speaker 3: So boy, that got old fast.
Speaker 9: That was interesting.
Speaker 3: That's a very nice way of playing.
Speaker 1: It's right eterial now, so so here's there is such a good way I think.
Speaker 3: So yeah.
Speaker 1: So basically the album flopped and Linda went back to being a dental hygienist. And fast forward a whole bunch of years and it's the year two thousand now, and she almost died of pneumonia that year.
Speaker 3: So now I can't make jokes.
Speaker 2: That is true.
Speaker 6: That is true.
Speaker 1: Actually, And there's a quote from her interview where it said the pulmonary experts walked away saying she's not going to live.
Speaker 11: We're not coming back. This girl's not going to make it.
Speaker 2: But she did.
Speaker 11: She defied everyone.
Speaker 1: But she had been in the hospital for a really long time, and when she got home in her mailbox was a CD from Michael Piper, who ran a small CD company in Brooklyn, saying if this is the right Linda, I've been searching for you and basically saying this album, this music is getting a lot of traction and we want to collaborate with you.
Speaker 6: So they did.
Speaker 1: They collaborated, and then she explained to him that, you know how, the original release of the song was not the music that she had actually created. So what she said to him was, you're copying the wrong master. You're copying that old vinyl that's lost half of its sound. So she actually had maintained an original of her reel to reel that had been in her house in California in a closet for thirty something years.
Speaker 11: So what had actually happened was that the.
Speaker 1: Tape itself like kind of melted together, so it was all stuck together, so they actually had to bring it back to New York and like work on it in like this very intense manners.
Speaker 3: To bring up the temperature and as a whole thing behind that.
Speaker 11: Yeah, yep.
Speaker 1: But they made enough progress with it that they were able to make a CD out of the master and then all of a sudden, it just it took off.
Speaker 3: So it was.
Speaker 1: It was re released then, and she developed a following. So forty four years after her original album was released, she released a second album. So just what an amazing story inspiring woman. I believe if I calculated her, if I did my math correctly, I believe she is somewhere around the age of eighty two right now, and she is still active and still performing and still writing music. So I think I managed to find a copy of the re release that was much harder to track down, So honestly, I'm not even sure if it's the right one, but we can take a quick listen to what I found that I think is the two thousand release.
Speaker 11: That should be a sort of different sound. So what did you guys think? Did you hear a different sound?
Speaker 3: Totally different?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I don't want to see she almost died so I can't make a joke, so I was gonna say it wasn't really better, it was different different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just you know, I I have to admit, like I'm not necessarily in love with the song, but when I read her story, I was like, this is just such an incredible, you know, story, and what an amazing life to lead. And I think that interview is definitely worth checking out the article. I think there's a couple of video interviews out there with her too, And you know, logistically, I almost had to miss this episode and I was really kind of bummed about it because I was I was so excited to share her story and how inspiring it is.
Speaker 11: So you know, I just I thought it was incredible.
Speaker 6: And I thank you guys for letting me share the Story's cool.
Speaker 3: It's kind of a lesson that, you know, if you're going to be a songwriter, that you really want to maintain control over your own material to make it really you know, it's okay to collaborate and whatnot, but you know, make it sound the way you want to sound.
Speaker 2: I get it, Yeah, but they don't make it easy to do that.
Speaker 3: No, definitely, no, definitely not.
Speaker 2: I mean it was on all the control, right.
Speaker 3: I mean, you could put out your own stuff, but good luck getting ears on it. It was hard enough even in the sixties seventies FM radio trying to get somebody to listen. Now where everybody can put stuff out on YouTube and you can put your own stuff on Spotify and do you know, it's very hard to get anybody's attention. So yeah, it's the music was interesting. Her vocals were just not my cup of tea.
Speaker 2: That was the part that a little too dreamy for you.
Speaker 3: Just the harmony just not my thing.
Speaker 9: It reminds me.
Speaker 7: Of music that.
Speaker 9: People like massage therapists or people to classes doing like meditation.
Speaker 5: Like New age, like yeah, yeah, reminds me of that.
Speaker 3: Nothing wrong, just not really my cup of tea. But yeah, say, that's that's why we're here, is to hear new things.
Speaker 5: So well, I think under certain certain conditions it would probably sound a lot better.
Speaker 11: Like in context, whatever could you be talking about, Neil.
Speaker 5: I'll leave it up to your imagination, but I think you get I think you get edition.
Speaker 2: Of Neil's brain in the seventies pretty much.
Speaker 7: I'm not context.
Speaker 5: That's all you need to know.
Speaker 3: I'm with you yet, for the remix that she changed the angles in the parallelogram, straighten it out at all?
Speaker 12: Or was it?
Speaker 3: No? All right, thanks Jess, Sorry to beat up your artist.
Speaker 2: Story artists.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's true. I haven't heard anything else she did, but I will say trying to type her name in P E R H A C s it autocorrection.
Speaker 2: Changing it of course, yes, I know, and you're like, no.
Speaker 3: It's perhaps perhaps, perhaps perhaps. Yeah, so that was an adventure too, So thanks for that. All right, quick break, We'll be back with more right after this. Stick around Hudson River Radio.
Speaker 10: Your dog likes us.
Speaker 11: This concludes the first part of this cassette.
Speaker 2: Please turn the cassette over and begin again on side two.
Speaker 11: This is Hudson River Radio dot.
Speaker 3: Com ah Way and welcome back tonight. It's shapes and geometry, all that good stuff, and Mercedes, we are up to you. We are So.
Speaker 14: The lyrics of my song have nothing really to do with shapes, but the word diamond is in the title, so I feel like he counts. It's a song by David Bowie. I don't think I have to talk too much about who he was. He is, of course a legend. The song is Diamond Doggs from the album of the same name, released in nineteen seventy four. The track was not released as a single in the US, but reached number twenty one in the UK. It was Bowie's eighth studio album and was a concept album. He had disbanded his backing band, The Spiders from Mars, and was not sure what direction to go in. According to Chris O'Leary, a biographer, the concept was a combination of several projects that Bowie had been working on. It has also been suggested that the song was influenced by Dalgren, a science fiction novel by Samuel R.
Speaker 2: Delaney.
Speaker 14: Bowie was an admirer of William S. Burrows and his working methods. That being of cut up technique is what it's called a mechanical method of juxtaposition, in which Burrows literally cut up passages of prose by himself and other writers and then pasted them back together at random. This makes the lyrics very disjointed. Previously, Bowie was inspired to use this method on a musical based on Ziggy's Stardist and said that at the time, and this is a quote, forty scenes are in it and it would be nice if the characters and actors would learn the scenes and we all shuffled them around in a hat the afternoon of the performance and just performed it as the seeds come out.
Speaker 3: That's like those refrigerator magnets they do for kids.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 14: He was also a big fan of Orwell and nineteen eighty four, and he wanted to adapt it for television, but neither project happened. At the end of nineteen seventy three, George Orwell's widow Sonya Orwell, denied Bowie the rights to use the novel. The rejection annoyed Bowie, who criticized her for it in Circus Magazine. A few years later, she refused to allow any adaptation of her husband's work for the rest of her life. No adaptations were possible until after her death in nineteen eighty Unable to adapt the novel, Bowie decided to create his own apocalyptic scenario inspired by the works of Burroughs. In this song, we listeners are introduced to Halloween Jack, who lives on the top of Manhattan Chase, an abandoned skyscraper in a post apocalyptic Manhattan, and he was a real cool cat And who were the Diamond Dogs. As Bowie put it in nineteen ninety three, the Diamond Dogs were ragamuffins who had taken over this barren city, this city that was falling apart. Describing them as violent Oliver twists like if Fagin's gang had gone completely a poop. Bowie envisioned them as a roller skating as roller skating vicious hoods with funny colored hair, whose moto transportation was lifted right out of the pages of Burrows the Wild Boys. It wasn't a way a precursor, precursor to what was a punk thing, you know, Bowie told the BBC that's where it was going. He went on to say they'd been able to break into windows of jewelers and things, so they dressed themselves up in furs and diamonds and all that. They had to snaggle teeth and they were really filthy.
Speaker 3: From Dig they should have met Linda Perhaks.
Speaker 2: From dig dot com.
Speaker 14: The song's opening is a sample of crowd noises taken from Faces nineteen seventy four live album Coast to Coast, and that's Rod's torr yelling hey as the guitar riff gets in Destride and also it closes on a few podidliisms for a good measure across both its lyrics and music. Diamond Dogs was Bowie's magpie mindset, working over time to construct a post apocalyptic landscape populated with little Johnny Rottens and Sid Viciouses, all skinny because they hadn't eaten enough.
Speaker 2: And of course it is Bowie at the beginning of the track saying this ain't rock and roll. This is genocide.
Speaker 5: Hear it.
Speaker 7: As it pulled you out of the York Sign town.
Speaker 8: You ask all the last why when the silver call helping the tense stuff just sock of resource. Doc Dowley speaking all scanning down on your hands and knee.
Speaker 13: I'm sorry, I'll not protected for this land to see the diamond dots of oats and they hop their trees, looks at the ground.
Speaker 7: They will mad gnsman kill bel.
Speaker 4: A keeper friends Lain.
Speaker 8: They come home or maybe they can come to me.
Speaker 4: And they got ress, come me, I go.
Speaker 13: Come and call you can't you tap in the fall?
Speaker 8: Young?
Speaker 13: They call down the Dimon Dogs, young girl. They called me down the Dimon Dot time.
Speaker 7: It's a real.
Speaker 9: Cool cat and he lives some time.
Speaker 7: On the head chase Peto das Brook.
Speaker 13: So he sat down the wool on True Spirit.
Speaker 3: On Tossic old man need this little bossl with his first town of Brooch.
Speaker 12: She its the sas detail.
Speaker 4: She wins a watch to sweat.
Speaker 2: Came out and say something.
Speaker 13: Mother did say what I.
Speaker 4: Came serene.
Speaker 2: That if you can follow the lyrics, you're a better human than I.
Speaker 14: It is confusing, but I feel like the descriptive descriptions are absolutely brilliant. I mean, mannequins with kill appeal. I don't know what that would mean, but I want.
Speaker 2: To know what that means.
Speaker 14: If you have a chance, you should look up the lyrics because, like I said, I'm not sure what's happening, but the descriptions are very cool. So the Belgian artist Guy Pellert Pellerite painted the controversial cover artwork depicting Bowie as half man, half dog hybrid. The initial release had the genitals showing that it was clearly male. RCA demanded that the painting be airbrush to make the dog gender neutral. How much do you think those are worth today? Those original ones?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So that's it. That's diamond Dogs.
Speaker 1: I couldn't follow the lyrics, definitely, but like I was expecting a much more musically just disjointed piece after listening to your description, and I felt like the music kind of flowed.
Speaker 14: Yeah, it was just the lyrics said he cut up and repasted together.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I can see why it's catchy because you just sing along and you don't know, so you don't know what you're singing. You're just singing along. And if you screw up the lyrics, you're not ruining the song, you know, right.
Speaker 14: So I love the part about Halloween Jack who lives in the top of Manhattan Chase, but the elevators broke.
Speaker 2: Does anybody catch the next part?
Speaker 1: So he so he comes down our rope?
Speaker 2: Is that what they said?
Speaker 4: Rope?
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, good to know. I did look up the lyrics, but I forgot to check that part. I was curious.
Speaker 3: All right, nice, all right, good one, Thank you Mercedes uh Neil. What do you have for us?
Speaker 5: And oh well, I got a song about shapes, but I ain't no square that is true?
Speaker 6: This we know.
Speaker 5: And this the song that I've chosen is titled Pull Shapes by the Pipettes. And if you know, you know, But the Pipettes they were an English indie pop girl group who are active between two thousand and three and twenty eleven. The band was the brainchild of singer songwriter Robert Barry, who went by the name of Monster Bobby.
Speaker 8: I love that, and.
Speaker 5: He sought to emulate the Phil Spector girl group sound in style of the nineteen sixties, but also give it a more modern twist. I'd say not unlike the way the Go Gos or Banana Rama did in the eighties. Though described as an experiment in reviving the vibe of the sixties girl group aesthetic, the band insisted that they were not quote a manufactured studio creation. Their name combines the reference of a laboratory instrument. I guess a pipette is kind of like a tube pipe.
Speaker 3: That well, okay that yeah, they pronounce the name. Yeah, it sounds more British if you say, that's what.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's the why I've heard it.
Speaker 3: So anyway, Yeah, it's a little squeezy thing. Yeah, you'd fill a little sample.
Speaker 5: With and these as well as a nod to the similarly named groups of the nineteen sixties like the Ronets, So there you go. The group was originally they consisted of three female singers Julia Clark Lowse, Rose eleanor Dougal who they just called Rose, and Rebecca Stevens who went by the name of Riot Becky. And they were backed by an all male band known as the Cassettes, again with the Ets, and of course they were led by our man Monster Bobby.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 5: By the time that their debut album, We Are the Pipettes came out in July of two thousand and six, Clark Lowse had already left the band and she'd been replaced by Gweno's Saunders, who simply went by the name Gueno. Four singles were released from that album, and the most successful being Pull Shapes, the song that We're about to Hear that peaked at number twenty six on the UK Singles Chart. The entire debut album was remixed then in two thousand and seven for release here in the US. And oh, by the way, the term to pull shapes, it's British slang. It's a British term and it means to dance. So hey, let's hit the dance floor and pull some shapes.
Speaker 3: Pit up their dads.
Speaker 5: With me.
Speaker 4: You want to not be to me and be all casbin me money, I want to break all shape.
Speaker 6: I like to do st.
Speaker 4: I like to hear you just let the music shape leading the.
Speaker 8: Last nd.
Speaker 3: Start.
Speaker 4: Well, I've just gotta break out. I'm just fun to move episodes about me.
Speaker 13: Want to know.
Speaker 6: Me?
Speaker 8: Mother?
Speaker 13: Cast meet on money and I want to bring shape.
Speaker 4: It's that drum me.
Speaker 2: And is the base shape?
Speaker 4: Well, then them is going to put together.
Speaker 7: I'm sort.
Speaker 13: You want to stop me.
Speaker 4: Jest, bring me all the money and we want to break?
Speaker 12: What do you do when the music stuff? What do you do when the music stop?
Speaker 7: What do you do when the music stop?
Speaker 5: What do you do?
Speaker 13: Six?
Speaker 4: Stop your hands?
Speaker 8: You want some mu shut your hands, you want some more?
Speaker 13: Shape your hands, you want some more shave your hands, you want sat shut your hands, you want.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm not given to dancing all that much, but hey, I couldn't help dancing.
Speaker 12: So great.
Speaker 14: Yeah, you've totally been holding out of men all the good stuff to yourself.
Speaker 5: Well anyway. By two thousand and eight, singer Rose and riot Becky had left the group, meaning that none of the original female singers were left. Now several members of the Cassettes had also left and been replaced, so by twenty ten, the vocal lineup consisted of Gueno and her younger sister Annie Glass for recording and performing, and they did it as a duo. The band's second album, called Earth Versus the Pipets, was released in October of twenty ten in the UK, along with a couple of singles, but the album was a commercial flop and the band disbanded in twenty eleven. Now the song poll Shapes was featured on an episode of the Showtime TV series The l Word, and also appeared on the soundtrack of a twenty eighteen rom com called Angus Thongs and Perfect Snogging, which I don't.
Speaker 3: Know what it means, and I you know exactly what that means.
Speaker 5: I know, then we'll tell me after we're you know later anyway, And this surprised me. But in twenty seventeen, Billboard ranked the song as number eighteen on their list of the one hundred Greatest girl group Songs of All Time.
Speaker 3: Okay, wow, that's.
Speaker 5: That's pretty that's pretty heavy stuff, you know when you consider all the great girl group songs that are out there.
Speaker 3: So well, that's it.
Speaker 5: That's my shapely song.
Speaker 3: That was a good one. I like that style down. Yeah, very cool, all right, Barbara, what do you have for us?
Speaker 6: Oh? I always hate to follow Neil because his songs are so awesome, But here goes nothing. The song I chose is called turn a Square and it's by a band called the Shins, and I just after listening to samples of all these different shape related songs, I just kind of liked this one. That's why I picked it.
Speaker 12: So.
Speaker 6: The Shins were formed in Albuquerque, New Mexico, in nineteen ninety six by singer James Mercer as a side project to his main project called Flake Music, which was actually his band name. Mercer has been the only constant band member of the Shins, with the lineup changing at various times. The Shins single Oh God, I Can't See I Can't Say This. The Shins single New Slang was featured on their debut album Oh Inverted World in June of two thousand and one, and that song earned them mainstream attention and a record deal when it was featured in the two thousand and four film Garden State. Mercer licensed the single New Slang out to McDonald's to use in their ad that aired during the two thousand and two Winter Olympics. The royalties he earned and this cracks me up from doing this allowed him to purchase a house and he relocated to Portland, Oregon. There he built a basement studio for the Shins, which was described as being uncomfortable and.
Speaker 2: Not too pleasant.
Speaker 6: But I'm sure the house was nice. But they managed to record their second album. My song choice turn a Square is from that album, entitled Shoots Too Narrow, and it was released on October twenty first, two thousand and three. It became their first album to chart, peaking at eighty six on Billboard.
Speaker 3: So why don't we hear it now?
Speaker 6: And we've got some further details afterwards.
Speaker 7: Shown up right black and night web and ten is show it's made.
Speaker 3: To gots.
Speaker 13: We got it right.
Speaker 12: You got a nice, nice, nice, just.
Speaker 7: A glimpse of the ankle and gut.
Speaker 10: React like it'd safeteen of bottle.
Speaker 13: Add to swim to the polls just to find the right sadder, dire.
Speaker 4: It, to calm the strength to be.
Speaker 13: Oh no, I try.
Speaker 7: So forget about it.
Speaker 13: Girl.
Speaker 7: My head's like a kite. When such a creature a side to town.
Speaker 12: Where you feed the prints on the ground.
Speaker 7: Have I left my bone?
Speaker 4: Just whining this.
Speaker 7: Microphone because we're serving time there.
Speaker 12: We talk, can't afford to We just wanted a flock.
Speaker 7: But that's your love when you have such a wealthy lock. He was classic the changes me. My friends know how to try, so forget about it.
Speaker 4: Girls, You and I don't know why. I can't just say, because I keep my hands on no wheels.
Speaker 7: I'm trying to task my right. My head's like I get tight because I'm my thoughts are on the straight and I will walk in push it. But such a creature ry sight, Okay.
Speaker 6: From two thousand and eight to twenty thirteen, Mercer went on a hiatus from the Shins because he was basically exhausted and wanted to quit the band, becoming uncomfortable with the friends slash band member dynamic and creative aspect. Neil, you know anything about that dynamic?
Speaker 3: I wan share? Yeah.
Speaker 6: During this time, he collaborated with other musicians basically that reached out to him, and he was approached by Brian Burton of Danger Mouse to work with him him on a new project called Broken Bells. Mercer enjoyed the feeling of meeting and working with new musicians.
Speaker 9: And interrupt Yeah, there are a couple of songs by them, I really really like good good.
Speaker 6: So he enjoyed meeting and working with these new musicians so much that he parted ways with his original bandmates from the Shins. He and his Broken Bells bandmates recorded a new album in twenty twelve called Port of Morrow, but it was released as a new Shins album, with Burton and the other new musicians Jessica Dobson, Richard Swift, Joe Plummer and Yuki Matthews from the Crystal Skulls as the new lineup. So lastly, my final thought. After giving his former bandmates the pete Best treatment, Mercer's Port of Morrow debuted at number three on the US charts.
Speaker 3: It was good. It was a nice mix of like a surf rock kind of feel, but the core changes were out there a little bit and all that, so that that's a good mix. I like that one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I had heard of them, I had am believing or I never heard them, so yeah, I was. I was digging that song definitely.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I tried to pick songs that I like, and I actually liked that one.
Speaker 2: I always get them mixed up with the Struts, the Shins and the Struts.
Speaker 9: I love the Struts.
Speaker 2: I went to see them recently.
Speaker 14: I wasn't quite sure if I was going to walk into a Shin's concert or a Struts cuts.
Speaker 2: I saw the struts.
Speaker 3: I am.
Speaker 15: At least you didn't yell struts during the concert. Yeah, shins, Wait a minute, or wore the wrong T shirt?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: All right, cool, Thank you, Barbara. That was definitely a good one. All right, we're gonna take another quick break and we'll be back with more. So stick around Hudson River Radio dot com. Hudson River Radio dot com, and welcome back. We're down to our final two. So Gail, you are up. Tata.
Speaker 9: Okay, have any of you ever heard the word tesselate t E S S E L l.
Speaker 3: A t E. Those are the repeating shapes?
Speaker 9: Yes, very good, Brian.
Speaker 2: Yes, I was so excited.
Speaker 11: I was going to say I saw it on the song list for today. It's the first time I saw the word.
Speaker 3: Use this word in a sentence.
Speaker 2: My brain went my brain went straight to tesla.
Speaker 9: Yeah, well that too. The word teslate means to decor or cover a surface with a pattern of repeated shapes, especially polygons that fit together closely without gaps or overlapping, and oddly enough Tesselate is the title of the song that I chose for This Evening's recording of Rock and Roll History Show. It's a song by the English indie rock band Alt j from their debut studio album, which was called An Awesome Wave from twenty twelve. The song was written by Joe Newman, Gus Unger, Hamilton, Gillem Sainsbury. I don't know if he's related to the chain of grocery stores and Tom Green know not that Tom Green and produced, but the first thing I thought of when I was searching this, but yeah, you know, and produced by Charlie Andrew. It was originally released on October thirteenth, twenty eleven as a double a side single with a song called blood Flood that Sounds a Little Scary, before being released separately on the thirteenth of July twenty twelve as the album's third single. Now this band is kind of interesting. The reason they're called Alt Jay is the band's actual name is the triangle shaped symbol Greek symbol. So I don't know why they don't just call themselves Delta, because that's what the symbol is, is delta ah, And so they picked out the name alt jay, because that's the key sequence you have to hit to generate the delta symbol on an Apple Mac computer. So let's have a listen to tesselate and then I will tell you some more about bullshag afterwards.
Speaker 3: By chunk, I mean.
Speaker 12: You're a shock and I'm swimming.
Speaker 7: I ask your sounds as I leave.
Speaker 12: I know your friend, I'm sniffing triangles. I'm my favorite cha.
Speaker 10: Theme points.
Speaker 12: But do like means my lord, jump on you.
Speaker 3: Let's testlate.
Speaker 7: W long my blow.
Speaker 6: And keep my.
Speaker 7: Lovely, my breed stone, Hello, my lode.
Speaker 4: Long my.
Speaker 9: Three guns and one goes off, one's empty on sometho.
Speaker 4: One bone, one red, one red, say it's a greens by the cat speaking.
Speaker 12: Chunks of you will sit down with the shoes.
Speaker 3: Blob of roots in mourning, but most you.
Speaker 12: Are yes and yours the way you decide.
Speaker 3: To say, you will self warm me.
Speaker 12: Triangles on my fair sche.
Speaker 2: Three points with.
Speaker 13: Two lines meet chow child back the bagles go mile it very late.
Speaker 4: Week, tell morn.
Speaker 3: That's that's late.
Speaker 9: So while the song was playing, Brian said, oh.
Speaker 3: Look here come to bus. Let's push Brian under no.
Speaker 9: No, you said that that that was the most Gail selection.
Speaker 3: Oh evening, okay, yeah I said that. I said other stuff too, that.
Speaker 9: Your family oriented show. Thank you, define define what a Gail choice is.
Speaker 3: You expect sounds to flow and then boom cut off and something else jumps in and oh, I guess under the overarching term of weird.
Speaker 2: Why thank you?
Speaker 3: Right? Yeah, it's not a criticism. It's just it doesn't go where you expect where it goes. You know, you hear the keyboard come in on, boom stops and something else comes in the opening just the chord, the opening chord. Do you expect a beat to come underneath? And it's not the beat you expect, you know. That's the reason for this.
Speaker 9: The band's sound was heavily influenced by unusual instrument choices, including drummer Tom Green's decision not to use symbols. The only slightly symbol like thing he uses is the back end of a saucepan, which he uses for the high hat. The album's drums were recorded first, followed by bass, guitar and other instruments. Green's drumming was always recorded to a click track. Someone's going to have to explain that to me.
Speaker 3: Metronome they just put it in.
Speaker 9: Oh, okay because and who wanted it to have the precision of electronic drums? Go figure. Usually people who are using electronic drums are trying to make them sound like real drums, but in this case, they wanted the real drums to sound like electronic drums. Okay, So it sounds like they're kind of interesting people. And one of the lines in this song is triangles are my favorite shape. And during concerts they make triangle symbols with their fingers, which now kind of makes me want to go see them and.
Speaker 6: Play the triangle.
Speaker 9: Yeah, And they say that it's just due to it being a visually appealing shape. The cover art of the band's debut album, An Awesome Wave shows an overhead view of the largest river delta in the world, where the Ganges River meets the Bay of Bengal in Bangladesh. So I think they're a very interesting sounding band. I'm gonna have to look into some more of their songs. This song was used as the opening theme song to the anime series Ingress Never Heard Of It. It's been featured in the soundtrack of the first episode of the twenty twenty four television series Day of the Jackal. I did not know there was a television series called Day of the Jackal. I had no idea. It charted twenty twelve twenty thirteen in Belgium at seventy four. Canada Rock forty six singles, it charted at one twenty UK Indie. It charted at six US Hot Rock and Alternative Songs in Billboard. It peaked at forty three. US Alternative airplay in Billboard it peaked at nineteen, and US Rock Airplay it peaked at thirty three. And as I stow though, that's it right?
Speaker 2: Do you know their other song are their like hit song left Hand Free in the Ring? I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't think so.
Speaker 9: Is it the same concept as one Hand in My Pocket?
Speaker 2: I don't know. It's possible.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 14: I've never looked up the lyrics. I kind of liked the song. It's a little bit more.
Speaker 2: Normal beat.
Speaker 14: Yeah, the one we just started, well, you know me, I like the mysterious stuff, of course.
Speaker 5: You do.
Speaker 3: All right? Good one, Thank you, Gail, thank you. One more to go I had. I had to narrow down the list. So about two weeks ago I made another pilgrimage out to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, and one of the first main exhibits. You see, it's all about the old pre rock and roll blues musicians, all that kind of stuff, which which is fantastic. So I started going down that rabbit hole with the shapes and all that. But an opportunity has presented itself to trash a giant scumbag corporation, and I just can't pass that up. So I changed directions. So we're gonna be talking about the song Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend. It is from the musical Gentleman Prefer Blonde, which came out in nineteen forty nine. The music was written by Julie Stein. Julie short for Julius. He was the son of immigrants from Ukraine who moved to England and then Chicago when he was eight. Julie turned out to be a prodigy on the piano and performed with several major symphony orchestras before he was ten. In case anybody wants to feel like a loser this weekend, he went to the Chicago Musical College. He wrote over fifteen hundred songs, including the music for a Funny Girl for Gypsy and others. Wow Yeah. He passed away in nineteen ninety four at age eighty eight. The lyrics for the song were written by Leo Robin, who also had success in the musical world. He wrote a bunch of musicals. The thing with the musical world is that a lot of stuff is popular and it fades away. Think of all the rock tunes that may have been popular at the time, and they fade away and they're forgotten about the ones that weren't really hits. So Robin had a huge amount of success writing me musicals that unfortunately are just not around anymore. But he was successful. He also moved to Los Angeles to work on film scores. He died in nineteen eighty four at age eighty nine. Now an oversimplified synopsis of the musical. The main character is Laura Lai. She is from Little Rock, Arkansas. She and her friend are going to Paris to perform the Showgirls, leaving her wealthy boyfriend behind. The boyfriend's father has someone follow her to make sure she isn't cheating and giving the rich family a bad name. There's also a diamond tiar that Laura Lai wants, but she doesn't have the money, so she convinces somebody to lend her the money. But two French detectives are trying to recover this tiara, and that's where this song comes in. Because the diamonds are on the tir it's more complicated, Mercedes, you can talk about the musical on the silver screen. That's more of your purview on that one. Now. The musical was released as a film in nineteen fifty three, with Marilyn as Laura Lai. She sang most of the song herself. She did have some help with overdubs. This was before auto tune where they would just have you do your best and fix it. They actually had other singers overdubbed. How much help she had is still up for debate. What phrases she sang, what range, whatever. Many other singers have paid tribute to Marilyn's performance in the movie. The big one is Madonna's Material Girl. The video for that, where she's all dressed up and comes out that's almost a knockoff this same way. Yeah, yeah, that's almost a knockoff of that. More recently, Megan the Stallion's twenty twenty song Diamonds follows that same idea. So it's had a big impact. This one song has had a lot of impact in the music world. So how did diamonds become a thing? Why do we even care? Well, let's take a look at the De Beer's Group, which is a South African slash British corporation that until recently controlled about eighty five percent of the diamond market. The company was founded in eighteen eighty eight and very very long story short again, they have been involved in price fixing, dealing in blood diamonds, using slave labor, all that good stuff. They put out a statement saying that they are now committed to not using slave labor within the company. Take a guess what year they put out this statement.
Speaker 6: Twenty fourteen, like twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: Twenty twenty, twenty twenty that De Beer's Company released a statement that they are now committed to not using slave labor in the company.
Speaker 2: Should we thank them now or later? Yeah? I have you know.
Speaker 3: Gale's Group makes triangles on stage. I make lowercase eyes. So so why are diamonds so desirable? Who made up the rule? What an engagement ring should cost? All that nonsense. Well, the de Beers Group hired a marketing company n. W Ayer and Son to increase the sale of diamonds now diamonds. Up to this point, they've always been jewelry. People have always found them. They're pretty, they sparkly, but they were primarily industrial because they're so hard. They were used for cutting things, So most of the diamonds were actually used on the industrial side of things, not so much on the jewelry side. They are the ones who came up with the slogan diamonds are Forever in nineteen forty seven, and that was still in use. You probably heard that more recently. They shifted the marketing of diamonds into jewelry and a bunch of different types of relationship rings for men and women, and then they jacked up the price. Engagement rings have always been around. They've been around since at least ancient Rome, sometimes with diamonds if they happened to find one, but often other materials they would use, like ivory, which isn't any better, but that's another conversation. They would use flint because it's shiny, copper because it's minds up nice. But the ring that we know it now wasn't really a thing until these people came along in the nineteen forties. To keep that in mind, my suggestion don't do an engagement ring starter a roth Ira because you'll be rich at the end another show. So De Beer's and nw A Air also started product placement in movies. They paid to have diamonds placed into movies, including gentlemen prefer blondes just to help their sales. So Maril Monroe has the most famous version of diamonds are a girl's best friend. But it was Carol Channing who originated the role on Broadway and that's who we're going to hear tonight. Carol Channing also originated and really defined the lead in the musical Hello Dolly. If you haven't heard that yet, you should. Oh yeah. She did a ton of other roles very famous. She was born in Seattle in nineteen twenty one. She grew up in the San Francisco area, where she got to see a lot of good theater, which influenced her decision and her career path. She attended Bennington College in Vermont, majoring in drama and dance. While she was in college, her mom told her that she had a black ancestry on her father's side. Carol's father's mother, so her paternal grandmother was black, and her mom told her this just in case while Carol was on the opposite coast she dropped a black baby, so she wouldn't be surprised. Carol's mom did not know about genetics and did not understand how anything worked. But how about that bomb while you're going to college.
Speaker 2: But by the way, yeah at that time, uh huh wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so there you go. Wow. We try to keep things interesting here. So Carol Channing got a small part on Broadway in her junior year of college and that prompted her to quit school, didn't graduate, but it took her four years to then find another role where she got cast, so kind of an ops. Yeah. In between, she worked at whatever she could do. She did a stint up in The Catskills. Think dirty dancing. That would be Carl Channing in real life. She got her first role in New York City in nineteen forty one, and her career just took off from there on. She was just a powerhouse on Broadway, on TV, in films. In nineteen seventy, she was one of the first group of celebrities to perform at the Super Bowl halftime show. Up until that point, it was still marching bands and your typical football thing. So she was part of that first show where it changed everything. And now we have the Super Bowl halftime show, which is, you know, peak of the mark kind of thing. Carol Channing passed away in twenty nineteen at age ninety seven, after an incredible, illustrious career, the kind of person that nobody had anything bad to say about, which is just phenomenal. Just everybody loved her. So we're gonna listen to Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend, But you crambones have a choice. We can listen to the original from the movie. Or In nineteen eighty, Carol Channing made an appearance on The Muppets and did a duet with Miss Piggy.
Speaker 9: Now we hear that one?
Speaker 3: Which, yeah, which one would you.
Speaker 13: Like to hear?
Speaker 2: Puppets?
Speaker 4: How did I want?
Speaker 6: Peggy?
Speaker 3: So here's Carol Channing and Miss Piggy singing Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friends, Piggy, That's.
Speaker 2: What I wanted to tell you.
Speaker 16: Abouts on the hand, maybe quite continental, but diamond Girl's best friend. Jeez, hand, but it won't pay the rental on your humble flat.
Speaker 4: Or help you at the autumn.
Speaker 7: Cool as girls.
Speaker 4: Grew homes are charms in the.
Speaker 7: Hair shape.
Speaker 4: These rocks don't lose their shape.
Speaker 2: Dimmon, girl's best.
Speaker 4: Excuse a more coat? You mean who? Diamonds are a girl's best bred.
Speaker 13: Never may come a time when it lasts a layer, but diamonds.
Speaker 4: Are a good.
Speaker 16: May come a time when a hard boiled employer thinks you're awful.
Speaker 2: Nice, but get that ice or else.
Speaker 13: No die.
Speaker 4: When stocks go, but beware when they start to be.
Speaker 16: Said, then that those louses go back to their spouses.
Speaker 4: Diamonds. Your time rolls on and us gone, and.
Speaker 16: You can't straighten up way bat.
Speaker 3: Stiff back or.
Speaker 4: You stand straight? Rap stuff? Ja, girls, I don't mean right.
Speaker 3: How awesome were the Muppets?
Speaker 6: Peggy right?
Speaker 9: The world was a much better place when there was a Muppet show.
Speaker 3: I don't know about that. I just think we didn't know everything that was going on.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Will probably, Yeah, we were blissfully unaware.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so there you have it, diamonds. Gee, what else can I say?
Speaker 2: They had a point?
Speaker 14: Get the ice because you know your looks are gonna last forever, But diamond is going to give you some cash.
Speaker 3: Investing in your future. Yep, argue that all right, Well, any final words there, crambones. I think everybody needs to go call their math teacher and say, oh, I use shapes today.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I actually failed my geometry regions because I had one hundred and three fever, and I figured, well, what have I got to lose? The worst that could happen is I'll fail and I'll have to take it again. If I don't show up, I'm still gonna have to take it again.
Speaker 3: So I went with fever, and I was.
Speaker 6: Kind of delirious that I failed. Had I had to take it again?
Speaker 3: But you did all right the second time?
Speaker 12: Right?
Speaker 6: I did it right the second time?
Speaker 3: Good.
Speaker 9: I would need oweiji board to contact my geometry teacher, but I'm old, So.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I didn't do I didn't do too well in geometry either. I didn't really go to too many classes either, which.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there may be a correlation there, yeah you know. Yeah, all right, Well, I think it's a good time to pull the plug.
Speaker 2: So it's been a very shape please show right right right.
Speaker 11: We did have such a good variety though it was.
Speaker 3: It was excellent time everybody picks something different.
Speaker 2: I really wanted to pick Hip to be Square.
Speaker 3: The first one that came to everybody's mind. Yeah, all right, Thank you Cranbones. Excellent selections as always, and thank you all for joining us for the Rock and Roll History Show. Don't forget to subscribe in your favorite podcast app and check out all the other shows that we do here at Hudson River Radio. There is something for everybody. We'll see you next week with another brand new episode. Until then, have a great weekend and peace out, everybody.
Speaker 4: Rock cop bottomed Okay the bye.
Speaker 3: Hudson River Radio dot com a subsidiaria of Glacier Entertainment LLC.
Speaker 7: Potentially successful.
Speaker 3: It's a multi hundred dollars corporation.