Speaker 1: The goal was to create a place where you had the power of choice. That's the reason why we created Ero dot net A r r oe dot net, twenty different daily podcasts for you to say, yeah, no way, Oh, for the love of God, please, Oh there's no way I'm going there. Oh here's one that I might be interested in. See what I mean? We do it every day on Hulu, Netflix and everything else, including Disney Plus. So why not do it with your podcasting too, one place, Big variety, Aro dot net A r r oe dot Net. Enjoy your exploration. Hey man, thanks for coming back to the conversation. Let's do some podcrashing. For eighty four is with Ben Higgins from his podcast If you can hear me, Ben, I'm very fascinated with your process here in the way that you have discovered the art of listening or you've mastered it in the way that you're bringing real stories out. And I crave this stuff and I can't be the only one that consistently looks for real people with real stories.
Speaker 2: Well that's very nice, you know. I I've loved the process of listening to these stories, and I think that's why. I mean, I don't know if I'd say I'm a master of it as very kind of you to say to me, But I think it's very easy to get engaged into these like this, these moments because humans are so interesting. When you actually pull back the layers and you actually hear you know who they are as people, and why they think the way they think, and what things from their past affect them, and what things that they're from their past don't affect them. The conversation has become something so illuminating and fascinating, and I see just like beauty and brilliance in them, and so it's fun for me to be able to be a part of them.
Speaker 1: Do you believe in the mantra they're not happy to see me, They're just happy that I see them.
Speaker 2: Ooh yeah, I think. I mean, I think that puts a lot of weight right on me. I think every human desires It's kind of the title of the podcast, right if you can hear me in a lot of In a lot of ways, you could change it to if you can see me. I think every human just wants to be known, and they want people to take the time to actually get to know them. They don't just want the Hey, how are you doing great to meet you. Let's talk about the business reports from today. Humans are craving this desire for the conversation to lead to a place of tell me about yourself, and then to go from there to the can you just tell me a little bit more, tell me a little bit more, tell me a little bit more. We're craving that because we just want to share our experiences in life with others.
Speaker 1: See, I wish I would have been in those rooms when you when you talked with them. And the reason why is because I think that when people start talking about their history, they stare at their feet. It's it's almost like saying, I got a pair of shoes if you want to try them on, because I'm going to share these stories with you. But you didn't experience them with me, and you bring that out to where it feels like you put on their damn shoes. Dude.
Speaker 2: Oh well, you know I would love for you to be there as well. First off, that would be a lot of fun. We could do this together. You know. I had an interview at the very beginning of this with I was on a reality television show. I ended up with somebody on that show for a few years we broke up and she married a country singer named Chris Lane. He was my very first guest on If You Can Hear Me, and I thought it was gonna be one of those moments where he was staring at his shoes and it was super awkward and super weird, and it was hard to kind of pull anything out, and it just felt like we were dancing around this massive conversation that we should be having that we just couldn't have because neither of us wanted to approach it. And that conversation ended up becoming so beautiful. Not only did we approach you know, the maybe the stuff that people would be shocked by, we got to digging even further to our lives and how beautiful it is that relationships end so that new ones can begin, and what that means for him and his family and me and my family. So, you know, I think for those moments of really that could be a little standoffish and awkward and maybe somebody's uncomfortable to be asked the questions that I really want to ask, it ends up becoming something beautiful when you actually can get to a place where these conversations are mattering, where you're digging in deep because I think that's where the magic happens.
Speaker 1: So how do you even show prep for this? Because they sound so natural, your questions, they sound like that it would actually come up in a conversation if you were sitting in the front seat of my car.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you know. I show prep by doing a deep dive on each one of my guests, deep deep, deep dive. And then I always spend a little time in prayer, which which is important to me and my faith. But my final step is really and I've only been doing this with if you can hear me, I have a pop culture show and I are radio called almost famous. I don't do this for that. I've only been doing it for if you can hear me. I am doing this where I put the notes of the guests in front of me, and I kind of start to picture the conversation like people say picture your golf shot when you're golfing, like picture the shot you want to hit. I'm kind of picturing the conversation and picturing the questions I want to ask and almost getting a sense of, well, how would I feel somebody asked me that question, or what question would I want to be asked if this was my response to a story, and that's really helped me prep and it's also helped me build a deep sense of empathy towards the conversations. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But when you start digging that deep, though, ben, do you step into their lives? And then when that conversation is over, you go into post production blues because you've got to regain your strength. You just stepped into an area that wasn't you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I used to, and I don't know. Maybe you can help me guide me with this. I used to have these conversations on a previous show I did years ago, and I would feel very sad once the conversations would end, because you almost feel like you just build a new friend, and a lot of times it's like, I don't know if I'll ever talk to that friend again. And then if you try to be friends with every one of your guests, you're going to be exhausted by the end of the work, so you can't really do that either. That's not really an option here. So I've built boundaries, but there has been zero every I guess I should say it this way, every conversation I've had on if you can hear me when I sit and think about it afterwards, has impacted me and as I process the conversation, There's been takeaways that I could tell you from each episode, Like if we ran down the list of episodes so far, I can say that was my takeaway here. That's what moments stood out to me here, that's an issue like I remember, you know, disagreeing with this statement. Everyone has that, and so for me, I'm more curious to say, are more interested in the pursuit of what can I learn also from this than I am to necessarily say, Hey, I need to carry some type of weight from this. You know, post episode.
Speaker 1: You're gonna think I'm totally weird here. But every time I listen to an episode and with you sharing your journey right now, I get this image of Jesus at the well with the woman. If he would not have taken the time to listen to her like you listen to people, Look what we would have lost, you see what I mean? Look at what we would have lost if you would not have taken the time to talk with him.
Speaker 2: Goodness gracious? I mean? Is that like that could summarize the whole purpose of the show, right It's to bring the secular and the sacred together to listen to each other. So listen more than we talk. You know, I've never been convinced of anything coming from a place of anger or fear or you know, counting. It's all experience and it's all listening. For me, that's where I keep that's where my mind changes, that's where my heart is convicted. Jesus shows us. You know, the Christian faith right now, in a lot of ways, is doing beautiful things, but it's also known a lot for what it's against and not much for what it's for. And one thing I know it's for is to elevate the human story, to bring together people who might disagree and just say, hey, is there some commonality? Is their love flowing from this? How do we love each other better? And that's what I want to do here. I feel honored to have the opportunity to get paid to do it. I feel honored to have the opportunity to bring guests on and that they share an hour of their life with me. But ultimately, the whole purpose and the reason I would even do it in the first place, is because I think when we listen well, the human story can absolutely change us and captivate us, and maybe if we allow it, help us to become a little bit better as humans.
Speaker 1: I kind of giggle when you when you said getting paid for it, because right away, if we're gonna sit here and we're gonna talk about Jesus and God, no, no, that's your tithing coming back. That's the reason why you're making it. Because you're tithing gave you the opportunity to get what you've got, and now that you've got it, you're utilizing it and you're taking down the four walls of the church and you're bringing forward stories that help heal people. That's your tithing at work.
Speaker 2: It's I mean, and how cool if an opportunity is it to be able to do that, right, Yes, I mean it's so fun and uh and in today's world, and I'm not going to I'm not one to say, oh, today is so much different than the last fifty years, honestly, but in today's world, I do think it's easier than ever to have better conversations than ever across you know, continence, It's also more important than ever for us to stand different cultures and different people and to hear these stories. And now I can hear you know. I bet if I spent two seconds, I could get on Google arrow and find your story. And that's a wonderful opportunity. But it needs to be done in a way that actually pulls out and captivates us and allows us to learn and listen more than it does just coming at us in a way that feels like somebody's trying to pound us over the face with their platform.
Speaker 1: Please do not move. There's more with Ben Higgins coming up next. The name of his podcast. If you can hear me, you can find it everywhere. We're back with Ben Higgins. I love those stories when they shock you with something. For instance, like I was with the members of the Sex Pistols and what they told me. They go, you've got it all wrong. You're believing what you read. You've got to walk through Ireland to see what these buildings still look like. And I'm going, I did not know. Until they share the story, we do not know. And you're opening that door, man.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think they're right. That's wonderful that you can pull that back and remember that. I mean, until you've walked the shoes, until you've walked in the shoes, until you've walked to the places, or until until somebody unlayers and unveils the things that are complex iness world we.
Speaker 1: Do not know.
Speaker 2: And in goodness, there is many mornings or many afternoons that I spend going I don't know if I actually myself that way, you know. So it's a consistent journey, it's constant, and it's wonderful, and it's one of life's deep mysteries and deep opportunities. I think it is a gift from the Lord above. I think community is a gift from the Lord above. Uh. It is one of the things that we should treasure and cultivate and dive into. And that's what we get to do on shows like this. It's also the thing we get to do in our everyday lives with our neighbors, the people we run into. Is just to listen more than we talk, and to hear about what people are up to. It is something I hope to be able to do for the rest of my life and not always maybe in a career. But what I'm learning is I could probably do this even without the microphone in front of me.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Well you're right about that, and I'm I'm gonna give an example. And this is I call this you just a word because I kept asking God, I need to be in a church. God, I need to be in a church. I know, I go to elevation. I need to be something closer to the people. God, give me a give and give me. He put me in a damn grocery store. And oh yeah, And dude, I mean, you could not ask for what real community is? The rich, the poor, the old, the new, the broken, the people that need to just laugh, they need to have just someone to be with them. And I swear to God I've been. You've been through my line. I know you have, because your stories tell me exactly what I hear almost every day.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, yeah, I mean I think that's like that scene if we were doing it, if we were doing it back and forth here, I'd say, tell me some of those stories, right right, Like, what are some of the ones that stand out to you? Why'd that one stand out to you? How did that change you? Because just by you opening yourself up to hear those stories, now those stories are flowing in. They they've always been around you, they've always been around us, you know. But now in the mindset shifts it feels like these stories just illuminating in a way and they stand out in a way that maybe I was missing before. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but don't you, in a very proud and loving way, feel like as a disciple of Christ, that you have to make yourself vulnerable because you know that faith is going to fill up those voice. But you can't get to those stories until you become one of them. Or like in martial arts, they always tell us, oh, so what if you're a third degree black belt when you've got a class in there that's all white belts, you are a white belt, not a third degree black belt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think Paul talks about it a lot of times here in the Bible. Yeah, that's like, you know, the general idea of what Paul is saying is like, hey, we need to try to relate with those around us, and we need to become like and then you you know, there's a list of likes from there on out. And so for me, yes, I want to become like the person that I'm being able to talk to so that I can relate with them, so that there's some place of comfort for them. And I think when I know I'm thirty seven now. When I was twenty three, I felt like there was a pretty clear hierarchy in this world, and then I was at the top. My ego is pretty big, you know. I was pretty proud, prideful. At thirty seven, It's been consistently clear to me that I am not at the top of whatever food chain I thought I thought, And so for me, it's more of a place of coming in to just sit and relate because I know that nobody, nobody, when it comes to how we are as humans, is higher than the other. We're all in this together. We're all trying to figure it out in different ways. Some of us maybe have a sexier title to our name, or some of us, you know, maybe have like made a little more money or have a little more power. That's all fine and good. But the thing that I realize about humans when it comes to the human story is that we're all, you know, taking one step at a time, trying to figure it out, trying to deal with our own insecurities and our own traumas, trying to heal. And I just want to be there and be a part of the process that is the walk towards, you know, the light at the end of the tunnel.
Speaker 1: So Dan, do you allow yourself to be weird? Because, according to Pete Holmes, you've got to reveal your weirdness.
Speaker 2: I want to I don't know what my weird I know, honestly. I think that was one thing that came out of you know, it's Pete said it a few times, and it's one thing that came out of that interview that I questioned a lot of my walk that afternoon was am I actually weird? Like? What do I have to do to expose my true self is? In a lot of ways, it's kind of what Pete studies when it comes to the mystics and the Desert Fathers, and he reads a lot of Richard Rore and Campbell, which is like the shadow self, this self that is behind us, that we that exists and that we know exists, but it's a shadow of who we truly are. It's not the real thing. It's a shadow of And so for me it is a lot of work on, you know, my shadow self and who my true self is and trying to expose those things so that I can truly say one day at the end of my life, Hey, I was true to myself. I was true with people around me. I was true to my Lord and Savior and I did the best I could.
Speaker 1: Man, you hit a subject on your podcast that really need to be experienced by listeners, and that is when when we think about, you know, some we lose something in our life and we also a person. No, there's more than that that we're losing in our life. It's just that we don't pay attention to it. But you you really do cover the new normal after loss. Oh my god, it was like I got to hear that again. I got it because there are so many easter eggs inside that podcast where you're talking about that. It's like you've got to listen to it several times to pick up on everything that you guys share.
Speaker 2: M Well, I mean, Aero, it's for so many I think loss. I mean, if you just think about right now, and I don't want anybody to be, you know, going too deep down to this, but if they if there is a deep pain in your life, all of us have experienced some pain. It oftentimes makes us feel very alone and very isolated. So in a moment that actually connects us to humans more than ever, which is pain. Everybody's experienced some sort of pain, a thing that so many of us could relate to. We're actually in a place of pain ourselves. It's very isolating because we feel extremely alone. So I think for what I'm learning not only through the conversations being had, but through the processing of it afterwards, is one of the greatest things we can do to get back on track, is that vulnerability in the midst of pain, to open up our stories so that we're not sitting in a place afterwards of I don't know how to move forward because I've not met anybody else who has been in it before. It's it's I think there. I could probably say pretty clearly that most of that. One of the greatest things we can conquer in life is the truth that you are not alone, and that's true to all of us. There are people around that love you, that care about you, that have been in it before, no matter how you know how bad it's gotten.
Speaker 1: Oh man, this has been such a blessing. But twenty minutes, Lord is just not enough with Ben to come back to this show anytime in the future, because I swear to God, you and I are walking a path that looks identical. It's different, but we're in the art business of listening, and I just got I'm just so proud of you.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm well, then, I'm proud of you too. Er, thanks for having me. It's a big honor to be here and I'm happy to do it today.
Speaker 1: Will you be brilliant today?
Speaker 2: Okay, sir, I will you too,