Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 4: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: Here we are.
Speaker 3: Again, Monday morning, five o'clock. Straight up.
Speaker 1: This is your wake up call for Monday, March twenty fourth, Just three more days till Opening Day.
Speaker 3: Here come the Dodgers. Good morning. I'm Amy King.
Speaker 1: We're live everywhere on iHeartRadio app. Hope you had a great weekend. Gosh, weather was fabulous. I mentioned on Friday that we were heading down to Disneyland.
Speaker 3: It was like a perfect day at the park. It was just the.
Speaker 1: Food was delicious because we did Food and Wine Festival. Will be more with you about that a little bit later, but delicious. Good times went with our buddy Nick Coliochini. Ick, Nick, here's what's ahead on wake Up Call. A man has been killed in what police are calling a gun battle in downtown LA. The shooting happened early yesterday morning at sixth and San Pedro Streets. The man killed had been shot several times. Police are looking for a person who ran off from the scene. President Trump's Special envoy to the Middle East is negotiators are making progress towards a ceasefire between Russia and Ukraine. Steve Whitcoff says a full ceasefire could be coming soon. More talks in Saudi Arabia are happening today about getting the fighting stop. We're gonna be talking with ABC's Karen Travers about that.
Speaker 3: In just about three minutes.
Speaker 1: A surfer has been attacked by a sixth sea lion off the coast of Oxnard. Authority say the guy was floating in the water when the sea lion bid him. The sea lion had been affected by the toxic algae bloom that's been making marine mammals sick, so col residents warned to stay away from the animals if they appear sick. We're gonna be talking with Dave Baier at the Marine Mammal Care Center about the six sea lions and the dolphins and what you should and shouldn't do if you run into one. That's coming up at five point fifty. So sad Trump's borders are says there are some things that he won't do when it comes to deportations. ABC Stephen Portnoy's gonna tell us where they're drawing the line that's coming up at the bottom of the hour. So much to do this morning, and in just moments we'll tell you about naming eglitz Ooh my favorite subject. Did you see him over the weekend? Oh my gosh, I can't get enough. They just sit there in the nest and fall over and stumble around, and they don't do a whole lot, but they're so cute. Okay, let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. It is spring, but add a little heat. Kfi's Tammy Truhios' temperatures today expected to be in the nineties across the warmest valleys.
Speaker 5: That would put Tempts today well above normal, but the heat wave may not last too long. A cooling trend is expected to start tomorrow, with compus closer to normal by Thursday.
Speaker 1: She says, we could see a drop in temperatures by as much as twenty degrees. A storm system next week could bring rain to southern California. Next week is fine as long as it doesn't hit this week because we've got opening.
Speaker 3: Day on Thursday.
Speaker 1: News brought to you by Semper Solaris. Most people who live near a house that exploded in Pacoima have been allowed to return home. Evacuation orders for dozens of homes were lifted on Saturday after a controlled burn that destroyed the rest of the exploded home and a bunch of fireworks that were being made and stored at the house. The explosion happened on Thursday morning. A man who was in the house at the time is in critical condition. He was burned over more than half of his body. Two rallies opposing the Trump administration had been held in downtown LA. Labor leaders and elected Democratic officials gathered outside the Federal Building yesterday in support of federal workers. On Saturday, the March for Our Constitution made its way down Wilshire Boulevard. Organizer David Comfort tells KFI it was to highlight what he calls the administration's attack on people's.
Speaker 6: Rights, closing down federal departments without congressionalists awording supporting people, for instance, to Salvadorian prisons without due process.
Speaker 3: He says.
Speaker 1: Several legal experts claim the US is experiencing a constitutional crisis. A contest is underway in the San Bernardino Mountains to name Jackie in shadows to little Eglitz. Friends of Big Bear Valley started its chick naming contest on Friday. You have until this Friday to submit names. You can do it online. A computer will randomly draw the final list of names, and then the final vote will be up to elementary school students in Big Bear. The winning names will be announced in early April. So I'm still sticking with Rocky for the little one because remember Rocky hatched like almost a week after the first two, and editor Carla said, all right, she said we should name him Rocky because he's a fighter.
Speaker 4: But we don't know which one.
Speaker 3: You know, well, we know that.
Speaker 1: The oldest chick, the first one that hatch, is the one that Friends of Big Bear Valley is saying is the one that that didn't make it during that one storm. But we don't know if that was Brutus or if that was Dora. I think it was actually Dora, because remember Dora got she got out or he got out of the nest a few times.
Speaker 3: Are kind of love that we've signed sexs to them.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, which we can't do without DNA testing, but that's all other issue. All right, right now, let's get you up to date with what's going on with UH ceasefire talks. Let's say good morning to ABC's Karen Travers. So, Karen, there technically is a partial ceasefire, but that hasn't stopped the fighting.
Speaker 7: Well, there wasn't.
Speaker 8: There was not a partial ceasefire. The Ukrainians agreed to a thirty day ceasefire without conditions about a week and a half ago, and the Russians did not agree to that. During their phone conversation with President Trump last week, didn't they on.
Speaker 4: The table pause?
Speaker 8: They put on the table a pause on strikes on energy sites, which both countries have agreed to in principle. But it's not a ceasefire because it's not on the battlefield. It's a pause on those strikes on those different targets. So, you know, very different just in terms of like a seatsfire on the battlefield. The back and forth continues. I mean, there were drone strikes overnight from last night into this morning by both sides. Ninety nine drones launched by Russia into Ukraine. Russia says there were twenty eight fired into Russian territory by Ukraine overnight that they shot down. So today and yesterday when they had the conversations with the Ukrainians yesterday, conversations now day with the Russian side, they will be talking about the pause, the proposed pause on strikes targeting energy infrastructure, because both sides agree to it, at least in principle. But that is a very early first step and not the ceasefire that the United States has been pushing for.
Speaker 1: Gotcha, Okay, thank you for that clarification, because I'm hearing from several places, different ones saying, oh, yeah, no, that that agreement was put in place, but it's not really a ceasefire.
Speaker 3: Okay. So they are talking today.
Speaker 1: Yesterday it was the US and the Ukrainians who talked to and then today it's the Russians in the US talking.
Speaker 8: Yes, okay, yes, And notably that's not the Russians and the Ukrainian.
Speaker 7: Side was going to ask you about.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it still shuttle diplomacy, as a national security advisor put it, the United States going back and forth between the two sides, challenging conversations. They acknowledge that, but you know, it's notable that they're not ready yet to have both sides at the same negotiating table that you know there are still significant differences, and the White House will say it's all about narrowing the gap, bringing them closer together. But right now they're not at that point where they could sit down and try and hammer this out and get across the finish line.
Speaker 1: So at this point they're not even saying, Okay, in a week, we're going to sit down together. It's still it's still the US going from table to the table and trying to.
Speaker 8: Yeah, there's no indication of when the two sides would be at the same negotiating table. The Russian said over the weekend that these are difficult negotiations ahead. Spokesman for Vladimir Putin said that this is only the beginning of this path, which is notable. Just kind of hearing their kind of, I think, cautious take on this or pessimism really. Violensky had said last night that he was briefed on what he called a quote a quite useful discussion by his defense minister who's taking part in this, But Vilenski said it's now Putin who has to be pushed to issue a real order to stop the strikes. Lensky said, the one who brought this war must be the one to take it back.
Speaker 1: Okay, Maybec's Karen Travers, thanks for setting us straight. Lots of confusing information out there, and we'll be watching to see what happens.
Speaker 8: Have a great day, all right, you too.
Speaker 3: Take care.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The US is sending another aircraft carrier to the Middle East.
Speaker 9: This is a rare and strategic move as the White House is expecting hoothy fighters in Yemen who announced a big plan to attack US carrier warships in the Red Sea.
Speaker 1: Kfis Phil FARARSS. The USS Carl Vincent will head out from San Diego in a few weeks.
Speaker 9: This will be the second time in six months that Vincent will spend time in the Middle East.
Speaker 3: He says.
Speaker 1: The Defense Department is keeping the USS Harry Truman in the region an extra month. Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders is Democrats, led in the ceneby Chuck Schumer, are to blame for allowing passage of the Republicans spending bill.
Speaker 3: He says Republicans are way out of touch.
Speaker 7: George Schumop it has.
Speaker 10: You got a Democratic party in general that is dominated by billionaires justice and Republican.
Speaker 7: Party is.
Speaker 1: Sanders says Republican lawmakers need to explain why they think it's a good idea to give a trillion dollars in tax breaks to the one percent while cutting veterans programs, Medicaid, social security, and education. Demonstrators gathered in Brooklyn calling for Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer to step down. Schumer has been taking heat for voting for the Republican backed funding bill to avoid the government shutdown. Schumer said if the bill had failed, it would have given President Trump even more power. He says he's stay and put. Canadians will be going to the polls April twenty eighth. The country's new Prime Minister, Mark Carney called the snap election yesterday. He says he needs a strong mandate from the country as he deals with President Trump's trade war and his threats to Canadian sovereignty.
Speaker 11: President Trump claims that Canada isn't a real country. He wants to break us so America can own us. We will not let that happen.
Speaker 1: Carney has only been Canada's Prime minister for ten days. Education Secretary Linda McMahon's federal funding will continue for essential education programs despite a push by the Trump administration to shut down the Department of Education.
Speaker 5: The outward facing programs that are going to be affecting students are there's not going to be any defunding for those programs.
Speaker 3: McMahon says.
Speaker 1: Many of the programs the department funds will be transferred to other agencies in effort to make education funding more efficient. Pope Francis has been released from the hospital. He's back at the Vatican. NBC's Rath Sanchez says the Pope made a brief appearance yesterday for the first time in more than five weeks, waving to a crowd from a balcony at Rome's Jammelli Hospital.
Speaker 12: He was discharged from hospital and he was driven back to the Vatican. There was an anre mischeer from the faithful when they saw him. This is the moment that they have been praying for.
Speaker 1: The eighty eight year old pope was initially admitted to the hospital with bronchitis that turned into double pneumonia. Okay, did you hear there really is such a thing as rouss ro US's just like in Princess Bride.
Speaker 3: Bustley, what about the russ.
Speaker 2: Rodents of unusual size?
Speaker 7: I don't think that exists.
Speaker 1: Well, apparently they do, and they're in northern California. They're called nutria, So everybody's making a big deal out of these Nutria.
Speaker 3: They are big.
Speaker 1: They're not as big as the rouss is in Princess Bride, but they're they're like twenty pounds and they're a cross between a rat and a beaver, so they look like a rat and they look like a beaver, but they don't have the beaver tail.
Speaker 3: They just have a rat tail. I've never heard of these things.
Speaker 1: You have it. So apparently they're native to South America, but they've made their word to way to northern California, which is also weird though, because we used to see them all the time when I lived up in Portland. They were along along the river front. But they're saying they're native to South America. And the worry is that they can eat a lot, like up to fifty pounds of plants per day above and below ground, and that could, you know, mess with ecosystems and stuff. So they've been seen or captured in San Joaquin Mariposa merced in North Valley Counties. The California Department of Fish and Wildlife says they are edible, with a taste that compares to dark turkey meat or rabbit uh huh, So cooking them is part of the eradication strategy. No thank you, be prepared for the boom. That's the word from Camp Pendleton officials, who say residents could hear explosions from training exercises. The training is going to be held throughout the day and night all this week, officials say. Depending on atmospheric conditions, the sound of explosions could be heard up to fifty miles away. Two women have been killed three others are in the hospital following a wrong way driver crash in Pomona. Police said driver was headed east in the westbound lanes of the sixty Freeway late Saturday night. Several vehicles were involved in the crash New Reservoir Street. The UCLA women's basketball team is on its way to the Sweet sixteen. The Bruins beat Richmond eighty four to sixty seven last night to advance to the next round. The Bruins' next battle is against fifth seed Mississippi in the regional semi finals of the NCAA Tournament on Friday. Let's say good morning now to We're not going to say good morning to ABC's Jordana Miller. Okay, she's calling back. Oh, we're trying to get a hold of her. Well, while we try to get a hold of her. Wait, she's here. It's a Monday, isn't it. Okay, Now we have Jordana. Good morning, Jerdonah Miller in Jerusalem, Jaredana. The fighting is not letting up in the Gaza strip and last night Israel hit a hospital.
Speaker 3: What happened there?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 7: The Israeli armies said they carried out a targeted strike at Nasar Hospital, which is one of the largest hospitals in southern Gaza, going after a top Hamas political leader who was there at the hospital. There's, you know, conflicting reports about whether he was there visiting a family member or whether he himself was being treated at the hospital. Nonetheless, the Israelis went after him. They did kill him. He was claimed as a dead quote unquote martyr by Hamas. But the Israelis also killed a teenager that was there that was being treated. And you know, the strike itself damaged the surgical ward at Nasra Hospital and lit you know, ignited a fire and caused some damage. So a very you know, a very pointed but still damaging and deadly strike. And remember it all as consistently argued through this war that Hamas has taken shelter and used hospitals in ways that are similar to you know, that are that are used for purposes of war, that is, hiding arms, hiding fighters, planning, using parts of it for control and command centers. And we do know from testimony of hostages who've come home that they were held in hospitals, some for weeks for example, not or hospital itself. There was one Israeli hostage who said she was held there in a room with several hostages for for you know, at least a week during her time in captivity. She was she was freed after fifty days. But you know, so Hamas has used hospitals in ways for very cynical purposes. And we've seen the Israelies go into hospitals across.
Speaker 1: Gaza, okay, And so it's such a I don't know what what I'm trying to to come up with, but it seems like, you know, they're doing good stuff by taking out the bad guys. But the collateral damage in this is what makes it so you know, questionable, and I think that that's why probably they're right, I meanback.
Speaker 7: Yeah, right, Well, you know this is how Hamas operates. You know, we it's hard for us, even in the West and in the United States, to wrap our heads around a terror group like this that really, you know, doesn't care about operating out of hospitals, you know, declared safe zones, next to a school, out of you know, a relative's house, right, I mean, they set up they set up there fighting that way because they know that for the Israelis to actually take them out, they also have to take out civilians. And when they take out civilians, you know, reflects very poorly on Israel. And it's all part of Hamas's strategy. Now, are there times when the Israelis you know, over shoot, overhit, make mistakes, use too much payload? Absolutely, you know we can't. We're not going to blame Hamas for everything. But you know, if Hamas were to move civilians to one part of the Gaza Strip and use another part to fight their quote unquote war against Israel, it would be a very different picture.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, And then I wanted to ask you two about this. Israel's cabinet has approved a proposal to move forward with a plan to get Palestinians to voluntarily depart, which sounds a lot like President Trump's plan to get Palestins Palestinians to leave the Strip.
Speaker 3: I would imagine that's not getting a very warm reception.
Speaker 7: Right, So, first of all, there's been some misreporting about this. The Defense Ministry, led by Israel Katz, who's relatively the new defense minister, and he's very loyal to Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Nataniel, he approved setting up an agency within the Defense Ministry to plan and implement voluntary immigration. There's no plan on the table, there's nothing that's being implemented. I would argue half of this, half of this is spin to support President Trump and his plan, but half of it could be you know, a very dark kind of plan B. If Israel goes in and reoccupy, you know, it takes over the Gaza Strip in a military occupation, they may use this agency to plan how to let Gosins leave and go to another country, right or to Egypt or to Jordans. So I'm not saying it's it's not sinister. It could be, but right now, it's simply the approval of an agency.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, and so.
Speaker 1: And then the other question that we've talked about several times is, yeah, you can voluntarily leave if you want to, but where the heck are you going to go?
Speaker 3: Because nobody wants.
Speaker 7: Them, right, I mean that's another part of this, right, I mean, right, the whole idea that you can forcibly displace two million Palestinians from Gaza. I mean, if we're anyone else making these claims, anyone except you know, other than President Trump, I think everyone would laugh. Right. But because it's President Trump, somehow we take it a little bit more seriously. But it's actually a plan that, you know, to implement this is nearly impossible, not only the means of moving such a huge number of people out of the Gaza strip when they don't want to leave, and Gaza is not for sale, but no country in the area is going to be part of displacing Palestinians from Gaza, right, Egypt's not going to open their doors, or or Jordan.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 7: And remember, Gaza is part of what the Palestinians see as their future Palestinian state right somewhere down the road, which is.
Speaker 3: Right right.
Speaker 7: And even President Trump in his first term when you put together, you know, the deal of the century, and he put together a Mid East peace plan which went almost straight to the garbage. Nonetheless, if you read it, it has a phased, you know, plan for a Palestinian state over several years, and it includes Gaza, right, so you're not going to be able to just move everybody out and you know, do something, you know, give Gaza to the Israelis or to a developer you know in New York.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, it's something that we will be watching, and we are thankful that we have you to keep us on the straight and narrow about what's real and what's not. Appreciate it so much, journal I.
Speaker 3: Have a good day.
Speaker 7: We'll talk to you soon, yeah, tuk soon, all right, thank you.
Speaker 1: The Pasadena School District is suing so Cal Edison over damage caused by the Eton fire. Kfi's Tammy Truchio says the utility is accused of failing to follow safety regulations.
Speaker 5: The fire destroyed over nine thousand homes and buildings and damaged one thousand. War Now, the PUSD wants the utility to pay for the damage the blaze caused to six of its schools.
Speaker 1: The loss it was filed on Friday. So Cal Edison recently announced it was looking into a zombie power line as the possible origin of the eaten fire. A man in Azusa is accused of stabbing his parents to death.
Speaker 10: The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department announced the arrest of twenty nine year old Gabriel Contreras on Saturday. His parents were found dead on March the fifteenth after police responded to a domestic violence call at a home. Contreras's mother suffered a gunshot wound along with stab wounds.
Speaker 1: Kfi's Mark Mayfield says Controers was also stabbed and was in critical condition, but it's not clear if he stabbed himself. He's facing two counts each of murder and assault with a deadly weapon. A sixteen year old boy reported missing in Guardina last month has been found dead.
Speaker 13: LAPD began investigating the disappearance of Mohammed to hear on February twenty four. He was last seen alive at seven pm that evening, walking in the fifteen thy eight hundred block of South Vermont Avenue. Police said at the time that to Hear had medical conditions. The LAPD hasn't said where to Hear, what was found, or how he died, but is ruling out thou play. Eileen Gonzalez KFI News.
Speaker 1: Governor Newsom has joined a coalition of state, local and private sector leaders to fight climate change. Cafi's Dinacodiac says the group America is all in comes as the Trump Administration's EPA seeks to roll back air and water protections.
Speaker 14: The move comes as the Trump administration's EPA seeks to roll back important air and water protections. The EPA is reconsidering a decision that allows the government to tackle harmful pollutants like methane and carbon dioxide. The new initiative will use satellite sensors to detect methane emissions.
Speaker 3: The goal up a local agents.
Speaker 1: The goal of the sensors is to help state and local agencies track and stop leaks to protect public health. Mortgage rates in the US have gone up for a second week in a row and are now at six point sixty seven percent. The National Association of Gilchris says while the cost of borrowing money and home prices have been going up, So how's the housing supply?
Speaker 3: It says.
Speaker 1: As a result, the number of houses sold in February was up to four point twenty six million.
Speaker 3: That can't be right.
Speaker 1: We're gonna go check our numbers on that one. The Jonas Brothers are headed out on tour to celebrate the band's twentieth anniversary. The Jonas twenty Live in the Dream North American tour kicks off in August and runs through mid November. Can you believe it's been twenty years since the Jonas Brothers got together. The Brothers will be playing Dodger Stadium Saturday, September sixth Guess what else is happening at Dodgers Stadium this week?
Speaker 3: Little baseball, Little baseball.
Speaker 1: It's time for World champion Dodger Baseball. This Thursday, the Dodgers take on the Detroit Tigers. It's opening day at Dodger Stadium. First pitch goes out at four to ten. You can listen to every game on the iHeartRadio app Keyword Am five seventy The La Sports brought to you in part by Harry Potter and The Cursed Child. Now playing at the Hollywood pantagious theater. Visit Broadway in Hollywood dot com such a great place to see a show. Sixteen year old boy who was reported missing last month has been found dead. The LAPD says Muhammad to Here was last seen February twenty fourth on South Vermont Avenue. Police say he had a medical complication. They do not suspect foul play. Tuberculosis cases in the US at the highest levels in over a dozen year. Federal health officials say over ten thousand cases were reported last year. CDC says the rise mostly due to international travel and migration. Gen Z's on track to be the wealthiest generation by twenty thirty five. A new report from Bank of America says the two largest drivers in gen Z's economic rise are wage growth and the Great wealth transfer. It's estimated that by twenty forty five, pout eighty four million dollars will be passed down from seniors to baby boomers, gen X, millennials, and gen zgen Z takes the lion's share of that. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Stephen portnoy So. Stephen Trump's team says it will not oppose a judge's order when it comes to deportation flights.
Speaker 2: Well, look, I mean Tom Holman, the President's Borders are was on this week yesterday on ABC and he said they won't defy a court order. But what they are doing right, what they are doing is they're challenging the judge's order, which is totally within their rights. They have a case today before the DC Circuit Appeals Court here in Washington, and that court is going to hear arguments over whether James Bosberg's order restraining the president's use of the Alien Enemies Act is lawful or should be overturned.
Speaker 7: It's a mixed.
Speaker 2: Panel that we'll hear it. Two Republican appointees, including an appointee of Donald Trump, and an Obama appointe rounding it out. The argument is set for later this morning your time, early afternoon our time, and it's going to be interesting. And the good news for all of us is it streams online so we can all listen in together. Look, you had Judge Boseburg on Friday saying that he views the administration's filings in this case as intemperate and disrespectful. He views the administration's position as awfully frightening. This idea that the president can issue a proclamation that says there's been an invasion and then to port foreign nationals without a hearing. He says that what the administration is doing now seems to him to be incredibly troublesome, problematic, concerning, and unprecedented. Well, today that's going to go before the appeals panel to see whether the judge is right on the law.
Speaker 3: Okay, and then Stephen, just one quick question.
Speaker 1: I saw and I'm not sure where I think I heard it, all right, I watched it this morning, but that another flight of deportees has gone to Venezuela.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what we've heard, and.
Speaker 3: That doesn't the judge's order.
Speaker 2: No, because there are lots of different authorities the president can use or the administration can use to deport people. The issue is whether it's under the Alien Enemies Act of seventeen ninety eight. Apparently these people, people who've been deported to Venezuela on that flight that left yesterday, were sent out after going before immigration judges. And that's the difference.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, all right, Well, good, thank you for clarifying that, because I was like, wait a second, I thought he said you can't do that at all, so it was handled differently, so it works in this case. ABC Stephen Portnoy, he had a heart out. I think he had to.
Speaker 3: Hang up on it.
Speaker 1: Okay, time to get in your business with Bloomberg's Courtney Donahoe.
Speaker 3: Good morning, Courtney, don't hang up on me. No happy Monday. I'm here.
Speaker 1: I was hearing this genetics testing company twenty three and meters that so many people have used to find long lost relatives and stuff is going out of business or at least filing bankrupts.
Speaker 15: It's still staying in business. It's going to continue operating as it looks for a buyer. But it did file for bankruptcy. So sometimes if you file for bankruptcy, you file and you go out of business. But this is one that they're going to continue to stay in business, but they're hoping for a fresh start through a sale. So it is the latest chapter in a saga of this company that you have to think about it. It went public four years ago and when it went public it was valued at three and a half billion dollars, So look at how much it has lost over that time. Since then, the sales of DNA testing kits have slowed and a couple of other business strategies that they tried really haven't taken hold with the public. So they're looking for a new way to move forward.
Speaker 1: Okay, and I are people getting nervous? I mean, if it goes in bankruptcy and they've got all of their DNA information and it's sold or that kind of thing, is that causing concerns?
Speaker 15: It does make people concerned in some sort of way, because because when you have your data and you give it, but you know, you give your data to so many different companies out there. I mean, if you had a if you go to even a retailer, they ask for tons of information anytime you sign them for any cards or any loyalty points or whatever. And that's always the risk that we're taking, is that we have this information out there and that it gets sold and put in the hands of right people. So we'll see what the buyer is at this point. That is a question, and I'm sure some people will end up looking at rivals instead of twenty three and meters with concerns like that always in the back of your mind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so is this a good sign that the economy is plugging along? People will want to cruise. My my one of my best friends is Monty and I are going on another cruise. We don't know where yet, but we've decided to go. And seems I've heard of several people going on cruises recently.
Speaker 15: I have to tell you, I went on my first cruise ever during the holidays in December.
Speaker 3: Where'd you go?
Speaker 15: So we went to the Bahamas. So we left out of Fort Lauderdale. My brother lives in Fort Lauderdale, so it was very easy for us. And one of the reasons that I think it was so great is my dad has mobility issues and it was wonderful because we were able to go from place to place. We were able to go to dinners, we were able to go watch a show, and my dad was not left out of anything because all we had to do is just wheel him to wherever we needed and we if we go to other locations, it's a little more difficult. But Carnival keeps saying that cruise demand is still stale and full speed ahead. Even have a song for that for you.
Speaker 3: You need a little Sticks in the morning always Yeah.
Speaker 15: But they said that people are still booking cruises despite signs all across the travel industry that consumers are pulling back. We hear it from the airlines, but they say, you know what, We're not an airline, and good times and bad people take vacations. This is what they're saying. They also pointed out, which I think is interesting, is that consumers aren't trading down to any cheaper options, so they're still buying the full meal packages, the fancier things, the full drink packages.
Speaker 3: Et cetera, seta, the full drink packages. Quite the value sense those value packages a lot.
Speaker 1: And okay, Courtney, before we let you go, what are we expecting stock market wise this week?
Speaker 15: Yeah, well, it's green on the screen this morning. It looks as if President Trump's coming wave of tariffs may end up being a bit narrower in scope than what he once teased.
Speaker 3: He was saying it's.
Speaker 15: All over the board for everybody, and now he's saying, well, it might.
Speaker 3: Be for certain countries, certain industries. So that's making people on.
Speaker 15: Wall Street feel a little more positive. SMP futures right now up one point two percent. Down futures, they're rising four hundred and twelve points. But I want to point out that last week the S and P five hundred finished Friday, gaining a tenth of a percent. But with that snock is stock snocks. I can't even speak anymore. Stocks snapped a four week run of losses.
Speaker 3: So we did have a good week.
Speaker 15: We had an up week last week after a lot of wild times over the past month.
Speaker 1: All right, Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho, thanks so much, get for getting in your business with us this morning.
Speaker 3: Definitely, I'll see you later.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll do it again tomorrow five point forty on wake up call. Okay, So earlier we were talking about home sales in the US, and I said, those numbers can't be right because mortgage rates are up, and so we did some more digging. So the number of houses sold in February was up to an annual rate of four point twenty six million.
Speaker 3: So that for the whole two more cents. Yeah, it was like, that's a lot of houses to sell. So yeah, so we.
Speaker 1: Just wanted to clarify that because otherwise there'd be a lot of homes change in hands in a single month. Here's what we're following in the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A woman accused of killing her wife, who was a san Diego fire captain has been captured in Mexico. Police say Yolanda Morodi stabbed and killed Captain Rebecca Morodi last month in their home in Ramona. Morodi was arrested in Mexico Saturday, brought back to the US. Captain was a thirty year veteran of the fire department. Canada's new prime minister has called for a snap election to help him deal with a US trade war. Mark Karney called the election for April twenty eighth, calling are saying that he needs to make a strong mandate to respond to what he calls the most significant crisis of our lifetime because of President Trump's tariffs and calls to annex Canada. Hi ho, it's off to the box office.
Speaker 3: We go.
Speaker 1: Disney snow White has topped the box office for the opening weekend. The live action remake of the Disney classic finished first forty three million dollars in ticket sales. Okay, let's say good morning now to Dave Bader at the Marine Mammal Care Center. Good morning, Dave, Good morning, So thanks so much for taking some time to talk to us today. This is just so heartbreaking to see what's going on that there are all these sick animals, So I wanted to go back, tell us what's going on that's making these animals sick, and then we'll talk about you know what we do we encounter them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you. We have a harmful algabum that's off the coast of Los Angeles right now, actually southern California. It's producing a neurotoxin that builds up in the food chain, gets into dolphins, sea lions, and seabirds, causes some really bad symptoms, causes seizures, aggressive behavior, lethargy. The animals are showing up in places where they normally don't show up, and we have a lot of them out there right now.
Speaker 1: Okay, and that includes we heard about a surfer being attacked off the coast of I believe Oxnard over the weekend, and they're saying that they're attributing that and it's not bit by a shark, but bit by a sea lion. They're attributing that to the toxin.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can have aggressive behavior. It's a neurotoxin, so it affects their brain. That the animals are not intentionally being aggressive or anything like that, but they're really sick and it's really important for everybody, and given that news as well, that we stay at least fifty feet away from any marine mammal that we see on the beach, be it a dolphin or a sea lion, and make sure you call your local stranding authority to be able to respond to that animal. For us here in Los Angeles, that would be eight hundred and three nine whale. We also have people are calling the pinniped Control. They're volunteers for the Marine Mammal Care Center that are out on the beaches helping out our responders and helping keep people safe and helping to keep the animals safe as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, and now you mentioned a sea lion, which might not be as surprising to see a sea lion up on the beach as it would be a dolphin.
Speaker 13: And yeah, yeah, is there.
Speaker 4: No sorry, Yeah, we're seeing sea lions in places along our beaches that they're normally not seen, right like right in the middle of you know, some of our busiest beaches where you know, you might see them in Redondo Beach or King Harbor on the Boo in the docks, but not on our city beaches. And dolphins as well, they're showing up unfortunately, way too many, and when dolphins strand, they're really unlikely to survive. Many of them have shown up already deceased.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then now, what about the sea lions. Can you treat them?
Speaker 4: Yeah, when we get a chance to rescue the sea lions, we bring them back to our center. We give them fluids to help to keep them hydrated, as well as wash out any of the toxin that is still remaining. We can give them anti seizure medicines and sedation helps to keep them calm and RESTful while they're recovering. There's no anti toxin unfortunately, so the best we can do is take care of their symptoms and after a little while, the toxin kind of works its way out of their system and we're able to start to give them clean food, you know, all of the medicines they need, and then hopefully get a chance to release them in the end.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: But with the dolphins, it's a different story because, like you said, by the time they beach themselves, they're probably too far gone.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Dolphins, if they're sick, they're sick at sea. You know, they don't come to shore ever, and so if one should should be so sick, it winds up on the shore, it's on its way.
Speaker 1: Okay, And then Dave, how how long are we expecting this to last? And is it a naturally occurring thing or is there something going on that's causing it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, these blooms usually last anywhere between six to eight weeks. We're probably around about four weeks right now, so we have a number of weeks left to go. It seems not to be dissipating at all. And these blooms, while the algae itself is naturally occurring, they usually only would occur every so often, maybe every four to seven years. We're seeing back to back to back blooms. Last four years, we've had an algal bloom of this type and almost this intensity, and that's not normal.
Speaker 7: We see that.
Speaker 4: Because of climate change, ocean acidification, nutrition of our coastal lotion, we're creating conditions that are favorable for harmful algablooms. In our case, it's been the last four years, and that's really unprecedented.
Speaker 1: Is there anything we can do or is it just that's the way it is now because of climate change and that.
Speaker 3: Kind of thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, we can do things, right. Climate change is something that we know is going to be impacting us, you know, worse and worse into the future. But we can mitigate against that. We can choose the future that we want. We can't choose it to not be bad at all, but we can choose how bad it gets by reducing our carbon footprints. And mostly we need to think about adaptation as well. It's going to be a new normal for us and part of that, unfortunately, is going to be increased marine mammal strandings. So we need to think about our resources and how well resourced we are to respond to these kinds of things. Our local municipalities need to think about that as well and make sure we have the funding resources available to organizations like ours to be able to respond to the new increase in the number of animals that we're going to be seeing on our local beaches. Okay, comes with increased costs, and you know the public can help with that as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, and Dave, if people want to get more information about your organization, is there a place they can go and check it out.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Marine Mammalcare dot Org is our website. You'll have information about the bloom right there. You can tell you all about what's happening with the animals. It's also an opportunity, if you feel like it, you can donate to our organization help to pay for the increased costs in medicine and food that we're seeing at this time.
Speaker 1: Okay, Dave Bader with the Marine Mammalcare Center, thank you so much for the information. And again, if you do see a stranded sea lion or a dolphin, call don't get close to it. Call one eight hundred and thirty nine Whale. Thank you so much.
Speaker 7: We'd appreciate it.
Speaker 3: You take care.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: So sad, so tragic than the dolphins.
Speaker 1: I know the dolphins, but it is good that they can with the sea lions. At least they can rescue them and kind of flush them out and get them back in health. Here again, let's go back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A woman accused of stabbing a Riverside County, cal Fire captain to death in her home has been caught.
Speaker 10: Fifty three year old Orlando Morodi was arrested in Mexico on Saturday. She's accused of attacking her a strange wife, forty nine year old CalFire captain Rebecca Becky Morodi with a knife in Ramona on February seventeenth.
Speaker 1: Kfi as Mark Mayfield says, Yulanda Morodi was caught on doorbell video chasing her wife moments before the murder. Investigator say Rebecca Mrodi was killed because she wanted to end the marriage. A man and a woman have been arrested for allegedly robbing an Amazon delivery driver in North Hollywood. A third robber got away. The robbery was reported late Sunday morning. Police say the thieves took packages from the delivery driver by force. The IRS says it is preparing for a five hundred billion dollar drop in revenue if some taxpayers don't file returns.
Speaker 16: IRS insiders hold the Washington Post they have noticed an uptick in online chatter from people saying they won't pay their tigh this year. They cite sweeping federal cuts from Elon Musk's DOGE as the reason most people don't want to file. The Post reports, people assume the auditors won't examine their accounts. As DOGE cuts IRS staff by twenty percent, Treasury Department and IRS officials are predicting a decrease of more than ten percent in tax receipts by the April fifteenth deadline, which would equal about five hundred billion dollars in revenue. The Brooker KFI News.
Speaker 1: And before we leave you on wake Up Call this morning, want to remind you that we are less than two weeks away from the Wiggle Waggle Walk and Run for Pasadena Humane. We would love for you to join our team, the wake Up Call Wigglers. We're going to be walking Sunday, April sixth at Brookside Park at the Rose Bowl.
Speaker 3: It starts at eight.
Speaker 1: The walk and run itself starts at nine, but there's a whole event of vendors, food trucks, training demonstrations, dog costume contests, a whole lot of fun and a great way to start your day and raise money for Pasadena Humane, which is doing such important work not only every day where they save thousands of animals, but now especially with the wildfires and how many animals they've saved and are still treating and they can't do it without your help, and we can help by wiggling and waggling and walking for Pasadena Humane. You can sign up at KFIAM six forty dot com slash wiggle. If you can't join us, you can always donate. We would love your donation as well. Again, it's KFIAM six forty dot com slash wiggle.
Speaker 3: We hope you'll join our team.
Speaker 1: This is KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County, Southland. Weather from KFI. Sunny skies, very warm, kind of summer. Light highs in the sixties to low seventies at the beaches, upper seventies to mid eighties for Metro La and Inlan, Orange County, upper eighties to mid nineties in the valleys and Inland Empire, seventies and eighties for the Anaelope Valley. Clear skies tonight with lows in the fifties. Partly cloudy with highs in the seventies and eighties tomorrow, then cooling down on Wednesday and Thursday. His in the sixties and seventies. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call. If you missed any of wake Up Call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake up call five to six am Monday through Friday on kf I Am six forty, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.