Speaker 1: Here we go with the Minnesota Goodbye. And it's really interesting because I was talking to my wife Susan last night and she said, and I agreed, that people love podcasts like young people. That's their radio, that's their companionship. So if you're like twenty two twenty four, and I said, but they're missing out on the live aspect and the community aspect, Like you could listen to a great podcast. Let's say you love the Call Her Daddy podcast. That's great. But she's probably never been to Minnesota. She doesn't know what many Haha Falls is. She doesn't know like the little quirks about Mall of America. She doesn't know what the stone Arch Bridge is. But is that I really like that about local radios because we shop at the same place as you go to. We go to t Rex Cookies like you go to. We go to Smash Park like you do, and Rosedale Mall like you do. And I think that's something really relatable. But I think that they're like with podcasters, you know, if you love that, I don't know call her Daddy. She doesn't shop where you go to. She doesn't know what four ninety four is like during rush hour.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I totally get that. The I prefer radio shows if I want, you know, to listen to something that's like local and it's like people having a good time and just chatting kind of thing, versus a podcast where all they're doing is just like having a conversation. Like I'll listen to a podcast that has a specific like theme, so if it's like a true crime podcast or like here's a Dungeons and Dragons podcast, because they're not just like chatting, but like if they're just chatting and they have nothing to say that and you're late to me chatting.
Speaker 1: Do you mean individually no kind of log or conversation.
Speaker 2: Like conversation like how our radio show is conversation, but we're conversating about things that people know about and care about, versus a podcast where they might just be like, so what did you do last night? I'm like, well, I was down the La Boulevard and I'm like, I have no connection to that.
Speaker 1: That's a I think that's a bad podcast, that kind of mean, And I think that's why a lot of people try to do a podcast. But if you don't, if you're not naturally an entertainer, your podcast is probably not going to do very well because I've heard podcasts friends of mine will be like, hey, well, you being on my podcast, and it's like, well, what's the theme of your podcast?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: We just talk about.
Speaker 2: Anything, right, And see, that's what I'm saying. If you're going to talk about anything, listen to the radio.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because we're talking about a variety of different things. But one of my favorite local podcasts that did really well was God, I can't remember the name, and that's too bad, but they would, oh, what's your mount Rushmore? So they would do what's your mount Rushmore of cheesus, what's your mount Rushmore of eighties artists? What's your mount Rushmore of National parks? And I thought that was really clever because every week you would tune in and find out something new. It's like, Oh, this time they're doing mount Rushmore of late night talk show hosts. That's really cool. Yeah, Or this time they're doing Disneyland rides. I don't care about that one type of thing. Yeah. But I think one of the things about this podcast is that it is specifically non specific or non specifically specific.
Speaker 2: It's curated by you, the listeners.
Speaker 1: Well it kind of is, yeah, because We basically read emails and that's what we do. By the way, we are on short supply of emails today, so we'll see if we can milk these for all their worth. Here is Stephanie, big supporter of the show and a full time staff writer. I had a thought based on your peanut butter conversation the other day, creamy versus crunchy. What were the brand's routines, changes, etc. People have had to make when moving in with a partner. I had to switch from ragout pasta, SaaS and cremate pasta to rouse and barrilla. For example. My husband does everything from scratch, so no more instant rice in our home. We have a rice cooker with real jasmine rice. No more instant oatmeal, et cetera. I wonder what other changes people would have made when they moved in with their partner. Honestly, it has been so long for me, I don't remember. I really don't remember anything changed for you with Andrew, not with like.
Speaker 3: Brand because I'm cheap, so I just have always bought whatever is cheap. I'm not a bran loyal kind of gal. I just go with the cheap option, the on sale option, so I don't think so.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 2: I've never been brand loyal to anything.
Speaker 1: Can I ask a question, though, what laundry detergent soap do you use? Jenny Tide Tidy? Yeah, Ti Tide. Everybody uses Tide. I dare you to find somebody unless you're like really going out of your way to find the generic stuff over at cub or all they or whatever. Everybody uses Tide. Back in the day, they thought that the Procter and Gamble logo was a demonic sign because it was a half moon surrounded by like thirteen stars or something. So there was a rumor back in the late seventies or so that you, of course you use Tide because the devil made you do it. So, in other words, Procter and Gamble, the manufacturers have tiede, had to deal with the devil. Everybody use his tiede because of the demonic possession that we all experienced from Procter and Gamble products. And you really couldn't explain away name another laundry detergent arm and hammer.
Speaker 2: Maybe yeah, I mean, I can think I can picture them, but I wouldn't know their name because I don't think about their name. It's laundry detergent. What a lame thing for the devil to plant to our.
Speaker 1: It was all about Procter and Gamble and and the and Procter and Gamble got rid of the logo because people started a rumor kind of an Irvan legend that it was a demonic possession sign and the company was run by demon worshippers, and everybody used what kind of toothpaste? What kinds crest?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, who is crest? Made by?
Speaker 2: Really proctant Ramble? But I don't use crest. I just think that's the first thing I think, understand. Yeah, but that seems I mean, hey, power to the devil. I would give him more credit to do bigger things than just a Procter and Gamble.
Speaker 1: But I love it. I guess it wasn't the devil's work. It was Procter and Gamble using the devil. Oh, so Procter and Gamble had to put out press releases and statements and say this is a bunch of fucking hooey. We're a bunch of face, we swear. And my sister Sharon, who's a pretty level headed person back then, she's like, oh, I don't buy tide anymore. And I do not buy Procter and Gamble products really because they are run by a bunch of devil worshipers. And I thought, okay, so I did a little bit of a deeper dive into this when, of course it's not true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's fascinating.
Speaker 1: But Procter and Gamble. Look up if you will, right now, old Procter and Gamble logo and then describe what you see. They got rid of it. It used to be on all of their products. And if I remember right, it's a half moon surrounded by a bunch of stars. Is that right?
Speaker 3: Face on it? And then yeah, it's like a half moon with a face on it. Kind of looks like a Greek god vibe, almost.
Speaker 2: Like a coin kind of yeah, and the stars interesting. I wouldn't think that this is the devil, but I love that. I love that that story in general. I'm I'm going to be here to push that out to everyone. Now, I'm going to facilitate it.
Speaker 1: Well, I think, and I remember the only part that was convincing was when I was a kid, everybody used Cress toothpaste or or Colgate, but never anything like Aqua Fresh.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, who uses that? What do you use paradon tax which is for your gums?
Speaker 1: I use arm and hammer something or other. It's it's she has got a different kind of a taste to it. It's less minty, and I've heard it's less abrasive than you know, it's better for your gums. So, yeah, we're talking about gum care cares. What happens when we don't get enough emails? So let's continue. So what other changes would you have made when you moved in? The Only thing that I would have changed with Susan is she would buy cheap shit all the time, which ends up costing more in the long run. And I remember one time she bought a couch and a chair and you know, they're matching, and they were shit. She got a bargain, probably two hundred dollars for both, I don't know, And after sitting on both or laying on both for a couple of months, all of the spring had gone out of the couch and they were just foams. So it was like, this couch is only two months old and there is no cushion left. Yeah, So we put it out by the front yard and the curb and gave it away. And so that's one thing we've definitely had to compromise on. But she still leans toward buying cheap shit, and I'm like, you buy cheap shit, you're gonna pay for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get that. I have a cheap dresser that I bought during like quarantine. I was like, this is an investment, but it was, I mean, because it was expensive, but it's.
Speaker 1: Cheap in like the materials of all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like the material is cheap, and I wish I had just bought something on Facebook marketplace that had been like used by someone for a long period of time that's you know, like sturdy versus this like cute dresser that I was like, oh, I'll buy this. Yeah, it's expensive, but I'll use it all the time. None of the drawers are on the tracks, but really they're all like askew to it, and I just like I think, oh, is it me? Is it user error? No, it's just like the drawers are too heavy for the tiny, cheap little tracks that are in the dresser.
Speaker 1: And it's cute.
Speaker 3: When you're young, though, like that is what you do is you buy cheap things because you literally can't afford it. Eventually you do learn quality is worth it to pay a little bit more money, but if you don't have the money, you can't.
Speaker 1: And I totally get that, and that is why, like I mean, Walmart thrives on people that can't afford and I don't want to sound like a dick, but can't afford to spend more money. That is what Walmart does. Walmart's stuff is a lot of the time it's shit, and I will say it. I don't care. They're not a sponsor of the show. But if you can't afford to you got a family of six and you need, like, you know, new clothes or bedroom furniture, you can't afford to go to Target. Target is not cheap. Target is better quality. But one of my favorite illustration stories of that is this is a true story and I think it was Toro. So I think I'm going to say it's Toro because that's the way I heard the story. If I'm wrong, then let me know. Walmart. When they have like the Walmart brand or whatever, it's not made by Walmart, they will team up with Toro to sell a lawnmower. So it might have been a Toro brand. But anyway, Walmart approached Toro and said Hey, we want you to build a lawnmower that sells for less than two hundred dollars, and because we want to sell a cheap lawnmower. And Toro tried. They designed a lawnmower that they could sell for under two hundred dollars. But they said, it's not a good lawnmower. It doesn't work, it doesn't run right, it'll break down. And Walmart said we'll take it, and Toro said, no, we're not going to do it. Toro shout out to Toro for having the integrity. They said, we're not going to put our name on a product that is shit because we can't make a good lawnmower or even a decent lawnmower for under two hundred dollars. Now, I made up some of the you know, the numbers. I don't know what the price point was. Yeah, but it's kind of like I learned with vacuum cleaners. Don't buy a shit vacuum cleaner because it will break down after six weeks or six months.
Speaker 2: Vacuum cleaner. You're like, why isn't it sucking? Oh, it's because you bought it for sixty bucks.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And it's like you look at it go, well, it's a vacuum cleaner, right right, Yeah, but you got to buy a dice in which is going to be five hundred dollars. Yes, but it works, but it works.
Speaker 3: It works. I would suggest if you're listening to this on October eighth or ninth, to go on Amazon because it's prime.
Speaker 1: Day to day. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So that's where I got my dyce in for like a great deal on a Prime day one time last year. I will say though, that it was acting a little weird the other day when I was using it, and I'm getting stressed because that little effort for a year, And I swear I hope it was just something with the battery was like dying and that's why it was making kind of noises of like I can't do it anymore because it needed to be charged. I get it, but I was like, this needs to last me at least two years or else I'm not buying these expensive as vacuums.
Speaker 1: We have a towel warmer outside of the bathtub or outside of the shower fancy and it is the best thing ever. Once you get used to a warm towel, we get out of the bathtub or the shower. You never want to go back. It feels unnatural. So we've had this towel warmer for I want to say, six or eight years. It's worked great. It looks like a garbage can with a lid. You put your towel in it, you push the on button.
Speaker 2: I've seen those.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you're in the shower for you know, ten minutes or whatever. You get out of your towel is toasty, osty, warm.
Speaker 2: Toasty osty.
Speaker 1: It feels so good, it is so worth it. It stopped working. Oh, it's like the last like it didn't work yesterday and then I thought maybe I forgot to push the button today. It doesn't work. Nothing works. So we're gonna get another one, but we're gonna get a good one because we enjoy it so much. And it lasted six or eight years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was gonna say, you've had it for a while, so it's had a good run, Alley, it's.
Speaker 1: Had a good run exactly. I'm going to bring up something that is not an email, but this is someone will run by you guys, especially Jenny, because you're a pet person, and we have so many pet people that listen to the show. My little girl Josie. She's my delabradoodle. She's the size of a large cat and she's fifteen and a half. She still loves her walks. Sure, her appetite is not what it used to be. She has a little trouble pooping, but she's doing fine. But what is not doing fine is she's got these moles and eruptions on her skin. They are moles. They look like hard, crusty wartz, and they're now bleeding. Oh got So we have to have her in a diaper because she peas and her little moles bleed into the diaper. And we went to the doctor and the doctor said, we can't take him off because we do not want to put this old dog under for anesthesia. So she's got a big one on her side that is it's so gross. It's about the size of it. It looks like a big pink thumb on her side and it bleeds and oozes. And she's got one above her tail, right on her butt, above her tail, and it bleeds and oozes, and it's like, am I cruel to keep her alive? When she they don't seem to hurt her. She doesn't pick or dig, but she has bleeding sores on the outside of her skin. She still runs around the yard. I took her for a two and a half mile walk yesterday. She loved it, loves her treats, loves her scratches. But is it cruel at some point to let her continue with these bleeding ulcers on her skin?
Speaker 3: Okay, so I've only dealt with Mickey being put down, which is was Andrew's dog most his life. I've only lived with her for a couple of years, and at first I thought he made the wrong decision of putting her down too early. Like in my eyes, I thought she was still good, but she really was struggling in so many different ways, because like she still liked to go on walks and stuff. And I was like, well, she's still like functioning, but realistically, like she could barely function. She couldn't see anymore. She would fall off the stairs going into the yard. We only had two stairs off our dec into the yard, and so like. And I didn't really understand the concept of like when you put a dog down, because that was my first time experiencing that. Sure, but I would say, if you think her quality of life has really derailed to a point, where you don't think she might be enjoying it as much, then I think that that's the moment. But and I do. I will say I know a lot of people who have held onto their animals for their own selfish reasons way longer, like honestly, even like years longer. Like I know one dog that was practically a walking skeleton and they finally put it down like probably three years after they should have sure. And so I just I don't know. I think you know Josie best. You need to go with what you think is best for Josie, even if that takes away from something that might be selfish for you, of keeping her longer.
Speaker 1: Right, I think that she still has got some great quality with her now because I've put her down now, I would imagine her saying, Dad, I've still got some cloth like life left in me. Yeah, because she does have life left in her. But with the bleeding moles, yeah, on the outside of her skin. It's like if I saw somebody with an older dog out for a walk and they had bleeding moles and they're not bleeding furiously, they're just oozing a little bit weeping. Would I be like, God, put your poor dog down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like that with the quality of life thing. Once she stops liking walks or stops eating entirely and is like moping around, then you know her quality of life can't be high. But like if she's still enjoying that, then I mean, is there like a salve you could put on these bleeding moles?
Speaker 1: Like, so putoporin on it, right, and kind of moisture because they're dry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So you're like doing what you can to make those feel less like of an issue to her because obviously, like if they were that bad and she hated them and hated her quality of life, then she'd be like trying to tear them off or just like laying on the ground and letting them bleed. But I still think she has like a high quality of life. She still likes going outside.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to go for a two mile walk, that's a lot for an old dog. Yeah, she's not struggling. She keeps up just fine. Right, I can't run with her anymore. I stopped running with her earlier this summer when I noticed she's just struggling to keep up. Yeah. So all right, let me know what you think if you are a dog person or a VET or a VET tech. Let me know, because you know, I, like I said, I think she still got a lot of life left in her. But I also don't want to push it to the point where it's like, come on right. Let me know what you think and send those emails to Ryan's show at KDWB dot com. Let me know if you remember the Procter and Gamble thing. Let me know if you only use Tide detergent, because I think that very interesting. Send your emails on anything to Ryan Show at KDWB dot com.