Speaker 1: Welcome to episode five sixty three of five and Dive. It is Thursday, July sixteenth. I'm your host, Craig Goldstein, joined as usual by Patrick Dubuke and Jeffrey pattern Astro. The big update here is that we've recorded so many podcasts on members of my family's birthday. We're so close to my birthday, but that is tomorrow, so we are not recording on a member of my family family's birthday mine, but we are very close to it, So continue in the streak. Jeffrey, I want to get your thoughts on the World Cup.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Like I don't so. I watched you going to Argentina yesterday and I do not have like I have a you know, association with sheffil Wednesday. I have a lot of expat friends who you know, pull for England. Several of them were at the game yesterday, but uh, like it was one of those games where it's like I'm watching it, I'm just like you fucking assholes, like you deserve like not the fans like they're like, just like what are you?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: You fired Garrett Southgate to replace him with Thomas Tukele, who did the exact same thing. Once you got a one goal lead like late in the.
Speaker 1: So I'm I'm just discovering now. I'm not trying to exonerate Toukel, but I just found out this morning right before yeah recording, honestly that both Kane and Tukel said after they scored the goal, the only thing they talked about was being more aggressive, like to continue to be on offense, and that.
Speaker 2: He pulled attacking players.
Speaker 1: So that was late. So the explanation being given is that the players weren't doing it right, that the players basically were playing scared and so and I'm not I think this is the wrong move, but I but at that point he said, well, if you're not going to do it like I'm just going to lean in and put actual defenders back there. If you're only going to play.
Speaker 2: This is literally the job of the coach and the captain to get them to that's right.
Speaker 1: That would be as I said, I think at that point you have to assert authority and say if you're not going to listen to me, here are some people that will. And I was like, you put it like you say, like he put in dan Burn and obviously but like you left Rashford, you subbed Rashford in in the ninetieth minute, yeah or whatever, right, Like they had subs that they could have gone to. He could have done some of both or whatever, but he didn't. So I'm not I'm not trying to exonerate him, but I I until just minutes ago, I had thought this was an entirely like his plan.
Speaker 2: Right, which is a very bad plan because you know which you're.
Speaker 1: Giving possession over over that long period of time. But it's not just Argentina. I the did you have any thoughts on France, Spain.
Speaker 2: Spain is just I think Spain had weirdly gotten a little underrated at this tournament because I mean they're the reigning the best team, right and they're the reigning European champions. They just beat France in the Euros in a very similar way, and like you can look at France and be like, okay, like a lot like Barcola and Elise are better than they were two years ago, right like and obviously Boppe was having a great tournament all along, but like Spain, just it's such a deep team. Yeah, and like unlike every other mountain, like England, but unlike most teams, like they go up one and they went up one nothing fairly early. Right, they have the penalty in the first half, but they're just gonna be like we're gonna like we're not gonna park the bus, We're just gonna keep the ball.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean that's that's the thing about this, right, is that you complete defense by having possession. Right, It's not it's not just it's not very field.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I mean I think from again, and I am I am an uneducated yeah, soccer watcher generally speaking, and I do love international tournaments. Like Spain I think has consistently been the best.
Speaker 2: Team, right. I mean there's always the the criticism of Spain, you know, really in between their sort of golden generation from two thousand and eight to twenty twelve and the current generation has been like they just try to pass the ball into the net, right, Like there's no they never have a strikes without without product. Yeah, and like they're still kind of like that, like you can see that bubbling. I'm like they don't. They're not always as aggressive as they could be. Obviously coubo Verdet took this thing out of it, but like couple Verdi like just have been like one of the best.
Speaker 1: Teams in the tournaments through ninety minutes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like they might have just been one of the better teams at the tournament. Yeah, but like the Portugal game wasn't great, right, Like they just kind of did enough to win, like they never like and like France, I think they had their credits them to France have really got out of second gear and in this game, like they just the Spain's midfield just dominated, like they just you.
Speaker 1: And you and I were I mean the the Pedro goal, the given the give and go was that was gorgeous. I do someone someone said during the France game that like their their strategy is kind of like we have the best overall talent, like yeah, they'll think hopefully they'll figure it out, right and not the worst strategy, right.
Speaker 2: Deschamps has never played particularly exciting football, right, but it's been very effective, right, Like they had made back to back World Cup finals and won one of them. I think he was I believe he was the manager when they lost to Portugal in the finals of Euros. I don't know that for sure though, it was a ways back. But like obviously he's they have a very good tournament record. But I think you're starting to see the obviously it's going to take over. Now I'm curious, like you know, I mean, he kind of has the real Madrid of international soccer with the amount of talent in that team. So we'll see what he can what he can do with it going forward, I guess. But I thought Spain like just like, was the better team and deserve to win, like was very was very a business, very business like when for them, yeah yeah, they.
Speaker 1: Just took care of it, and Argentina is just h I said this online, but it's the call an ambulance, but not for me.
Speaker 2: Six Knicks comps to yes, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean it's again I root for Argentina, so I'm not trying to be by like. I think that was a combination of some specific qualities about Argentina and England giving look, giving all the room for those qualities to come to the.
Speaker 2: Fort like still has to pick out the top corner there, like that's not like he had time and space to do it, but it's still not an easy shot, right.
Speaker 1: Like exactly, and look like they hit the they had.
Speaker 2: Their opportunity, they hit the post like they Also.
Speaker 1: I thought England was the better team really right until they parked the box. Yeah, I thought they were the better team and they get they gave them that. I think it was given away by him.
Speaker 2: They never also except they never place. They never play like as good a team as they are, right, Like they could play England, like they could play like Spain and continue to try to grind possession with the lead. They could play like Argentina and pressed with lee. Now that Arteina have had a ton.
Speaker 1: Of leads well right and then, and that was when they were good, when they were pressing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like they have the talent to do it now they their back line is shaky, like a lot of their there's like some fitness like Declan Rice wasn't fully fit, Sames wasn't fully fit, Soccer couldn't play. But there were like issues and a lot of that they were carried basically by belling him and Cane for large portions of the of the tournament. But like I mean, like sometimes that's how international soccer is, like your two world class players. Just like that's a lot of what Argentina is doing right now too, and like a lot of what France was doing like that that is you know, there's not a lot of like Greece winning the Euros out there. But yeah, like I thought it was just one of those games where and also I've like watched Wednesday do this for years too, so I just like see it coming, like why are you It's very difficult to defend like that for thirty thirty.
Speaker 1: Right, you can do And that was I watched some some stuff where a lot of the you know, you have a lot of former players on these various pairs.
Speaker 2: And they had no outlet that they made no attempt even when they like got the even when like Bellingham got the ball clearer run, every goalkick was like straight out of play, like they were.
Speaker 1: Not trying to And it's that's one thing for five to ten minutes.
Speaker 2: Sure, it's if you want to do that. When it's seventy five minutes, bring on dan Burne Park the bus. Sure that if you're still up one, like, it's very hard, it gets harder the team, you know, the Argentina has to take more chance. At that point, Argentina had like, first of all, they're confident they can come back, they've done it a bunch, but also like they know they have time, they have so much time, and all of a sudden they were doing a good job generally speaking, they're denying Messy the ball or bodying up on him when he got it, and then all of a sudden, you give him that much time in space, like well, when.
Speaker 1: They moved him, they moved and yeah, credit to to Scloni Scaloney, thank you. They moved him out to the right side, out of the middle. Yeah, and he had a little more room than than to work with.
Speaker 2: But yeah, no, I he was almost playing like right back at times in their formation, like he was drafting Dave.
Speaker 1: I don't. I don't know what the formation was at various points, but it was. Yes, it's so many, Like you said, the the Spain France game was very business like every Argentina game has been a banger ultimately, like, yeah, it I don't know, very fun, very fun. Thank you to our listeners for indulging us on this, But I honestly I don't. I messaged, I messaged Jeff some, but I don't. I have been saving it for for the pops. Actually, Patrick, welcome, welcome back. How is Deck?
Speaker 3: It's Deck?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: I I do wonder if people to listen to the show are confused.
Speaker 3: Apparently the Discord has just alerted us to the fact that people aren't confused. Patrick is is not a deck building game. But it's not. It's it is. Yes, it's a physical deck. This is this is the original deck building.
Speaker 2: The original deck building game.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like any like, is there any motivation for the deck for deck.
Speaker 3: For like a personal motives like this is no one no one read the It's okay, I mean it just came out.
Speaker 1: No one read the article that went up today. If you if you want to learn more, if you read the Lance mccullors junior, Yeah, transaction transaction analysis.
Speaker 3: Basically, the thing about the deck is that every spring I put a foot through a pant through a plank in the deck. Now the deck is.
Speaker 2: See I was also confused. I thought you were putting a new deck in.
Speaker 3: No, I'm well constantly the deck of the Yes, yeah yeah, So every every year I paid the deck tax and I bought eight new boards and see her it was sixteen and went okay, well I better just like redo.
Speaker 2: The whole when he's not the picture there's like, I'm like, this looks like a half finished deck. That makes sense.
Speaker 3: It is nothing.
Speaker 1: It's just the part that was finished, was finished a while ago.
Speaker 3: Yes, the deck needs one more coat of paint to stain it, and the color a little embarrassing. I was very upset. So, you know, we went through the decision of picking the color, and the last color we got it was it was a little too orangey, little little too like redwood that isn't actually red, like it's redwood in the sense that red robins aren't red either. Yeah, And so we picked out a color and I started painting, went oh, no, maybe a dry darker, darker, right, you always did not it did not nearly enough, and so it and and my son comes out and he goes, well, I like this color. It's pink A yeah, I can't look at this that five years and he's gonna be very sad. But we do get like, it's the first coat, so I can just put a second first coat, no real loss. But I so, just to text myself, I'm like, it was I really this off picking the color because I wanted lighter than what I had, but I didn't want it to be down light. So I took a paint card from the Harbor Store and I brought it home and I'm looking at the paint card, and I'm like, maybe it just screwed up. Maybe I can get my money back, Like this color is not the color on the deck. And I go outside and I'm holding up the paint card. I'm like, yeah, no, this is wrong, Like this is totally wrong. And I'm I'm like my I am looking straight at it. And then I put the paint card on the deck and it immediately comes the exact color at the deck, just like just like optical illusion went. No, I just suck.
Speaker 1: So I think context that happens to me with colors, right, like you, especially when you're looking at so many options, right like you're like, oh, this is different, and then you hold it right up next to it and it's like, oh, well, how how did that work? That it was different somewhere else? But what exactly the same here?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 1: That's been your your soccer and deck talk. There was Look, I apologize people, this is not what people are here for. There's limited baseball banter when we have to make the whole show out of essentially banterable material during All Star Week. So, uh, we'll go to our first segment air Jordan. Jordan Walker won the home run derby in both dramatic and uh, I don't know his his blood pressure wasn't raised.
Speaker 3: I guess.
Speaker 1: Mad a question, but without without urgency. I felt like from from his side.
Speaker 2: When Wednesday won the playoff semi final against peter Borough with the big comeback, obviously they went penalty kicks and they put like their four obvious penalty kick guys as the first four and they all scored. So I remember sitting there in my where was I I was at Waterwitch watching on my phone. Uh, Like I'm like, who's gonna go up for the fifth penalty kick? Like I have no idea, Like they've and they needed to win because Peterborough and this once and like Jack Hunt, who's their right back, comes up and like, I know, you got to be very careful. And while I'm like, oh, that's that's it, Like like he's got a good cross eyes.
Speaker 1: There's been a lot of there's been a lot of center backs taking penalties in this World Cup and it has not panned out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he walks up and I just fine, like this is like the super pressure situation. And he's like he was a veteran right back at that point, and like the keepers coming out with the ball to kind of like try to intimidate him, right. I remember looking at He's just sitting there chewing gum like completely like not even like at one point he almost kind of like it's not like a smerk, but it's almost like a like a little like chortal like but the keeper trying to stay it over and then he chips it into the top corner. And that's kind of how I felt watching Jordan Walker, Like he's got all the Philly fans like Bow and m he doesn't get off to a great start and they just like it's yeah.
Speaker 1: We So we talked about this ultimately. The fields felt pretty even. I mean this this is not this is a good part to hit home runs, yep, But I think we specifically talked about it in regards to Walker, like he's just so.
Speaker 2: Strong, yeah that he can actually like he pulled most of these, like he wasn't whipping them straight down the line.
Speaker 1: Also put someone out, and he did. He did pull most of them, but part of the strength, to me, I guess, is the point it was pulled. But he had a lot of flat line drive home runs that I don't think without his strength and his the exit below he gets off his bat because of his you know, he and Kim and Arrow swing.
Speaker 2: So hard, like it didn't even look like he was swinging that.
Speaker 1: But that's the point is that it is hard with it. He swings that hard without it looking that way. Like I always forget he swings as hard as he does because it is it's long, and he's he's so lanky, right, he's such a tall guy. But he just generates such force off of it. But again, I think a lot of those guys without his his height and his levers and and the exit below imparted on it. Those line drives are hitting the wall or hitting the morning track or whatever, and his just carry He was fun.
Speaker 2: It was fun. Yeah, Like it's I'm not the new formats fine.
Speaker 1: I didn't mind it. I thought I would. I thought I would dislike it, and I did not mind.
Speaker 3: Like, I don't know, it feels like if they're like there were fewer like six ball, straight ball.
Speaker 1: They're not trying to go as fat right the whole.
Speaker 3: I mean, like I feel like in the old system you can see hitters just waiting for middle middle in anytime a picture like.
Speaker 1: Which old system at this point, the old system, the out system. Yeah, that is a nightmare. Yeah, And it also just takes so long because if you have someone hit you know what was it, Josh Hamilton hid thirty five homers or whatever, it just went on forever. Yeah, which I guess you could technically do if you did it all on the last ball right here, right.
Speaker 2: Well, I like that because it's like it's not with the time system, Like it's more frenantic, like it's cool to see guys get into a rhythm and things like that, but you can kind of like tell if it's going to be close or not at a certain point. And here, like Walker looked like he was going to be done, but there's always the the last ball, which is kind of.
Speaker 1: The hero ball thing. I don't know, like it's it. I get what you're saying, and I'm not saying it doesn't work.
Speaker 3: It was. It was.
Speaker 1: It was great fun honestly, so I don't I don't want to say it didn't work, but it feels weird to me to construct a swing based any swing except the last ball.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like the caveat to say, like we know this system isn't actually that good. We need to save it. Yeah, with this thing. Now, I'm a proponent of the clock I really like and maybe this is just me being tied up. I hated the outs system and I thought the clock saved the home run derby, So maybe I'm just a little too beholden to it in that sense. I do not think the clock was perfect. I think where you don't get to fully admire the home runs and it was just a race and like guys were pitching before the ball landed whatever, like all of that was no good. So I understand why they were trying to get away from it. And it was also it was just too much time. Yeah, three minutes or whatever. They had too much time at you know, for one player at a block of time. But I would have loved to see tweaks to the clock BA based system that said this was good, This was great fun. There was drama in it. It was it worked.
Speaker 2: It is funny that like like one of the advantages that you think of this says will be able to actually like track the home runs and like have like a more sort of like you know, you could cut like we're crazy. Yeah, And they were using like the what like the White Sox dirt cam for some of these shots too, instead of like showing it from behind, like you couldn't even really see where the pitch was coming, Like is he gonna swing at this? Like you couldn't tell, like it wasn't.
Speaker 1: Honestly, give me a picture and picture of the the I don't even mind give me a picture and picture of especially when it's Jordan Walker, someone's pulling the ball only basically of that down the line thing where you get to see his full swing and can watch it the whole way. They need. I think they need to do more picture and picture stuff with this where you can watch the full arc but then have the other.
Speaker 2: I also think we need to move around so be it. We need to break out like the NHL glowpuck from the nineties, so we can actually like track like the tail the tail. I want the tail on the ball too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which brings us to so that we talk format. It brings us to the Netflix. Patrick, you've been quiet. I understand being quiet during soccer. Did you partake in any of this?
Speaker 3: Uh? I had to watch it in retrospect because of deck Okay, and that is not the way to watch.
Speaker 1: Sure, Like No, I wouldn't, I honestly I would tell you if I missed it, I wouldn't go back for it. I'm sorry, none of this actually matters.
Speaker 3: I'm not I didn't make it through all of it. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, well why would you?
Speaker 3: It's so first of all, thoughts on Jordan Walker, Like Jordan Walker is designed to look like both his face and his swing are both designed to look not effort the kind of kind of like I think everybody has the same swing, but not everybody has the same follow through yet, and Jordan Walker does not bother with a follow through, Like he stops the follow through like sooner than the follow through would naturally stop. Like it almost feels like he breaks on it. Uh, it's like the hit version of recoil, but without the effort like it just it's not like he is like jerking to stop the bat so that you feel the effort of it. It just makes the swing look like he is not swinging his hard right.
Speaker 2: It's just like my swing goes from here to here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, why bother with the rest of it? How it feels.
Speaker 2: But even his celebrat like he obviously hit well like six in a row whatever, Like even was not like super you know, ambulance, right, Like, it wasn't like he like like yeah, like I think one of his TV tell you.
Speaker 1: Very chill children. Yeah, yeah, no, they did keep cutting to them. That was one of the cuts that was enjoyable. His family with the picture of them on the field with him was great. I thought he had some wonderful things to say about inspiring you know, hopefully inspiring uh black kids to keep playing baseball and to stick with it. So a very thoughtful person. But but you know, it's the idea of like a man of few words, except like just a man of few act Like his actions are like you said, laconic, right, Like, it's just there's a brevity.
Speaker 2: To it, all right, it's like very like it stands like in stark. It's a very stark reversal of like Pilanzo at the home run der right, the very different energy.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the last question we have here on this subject is it better than the actual game. I'll tell you this, It was better than this actual sure. Well it's like.
Speaker 2: So the thing about that we can kind of transition to them, and I will.
Speaker 1: To my point about not going back to watch. Yeah, I caught parts of the All Star game. I did not make it a point to sit down and watch it, and I did not and will not go back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just you.
Speaker 1: It's fine, it's not it's just not important. All of these all of these sports all star games have right, this is just the changing kind of the same issue.
Speaker 2: Right, It's a changing sports TV landscape, right, And by changing, I mean like from the early nineties, like starting in the early nineties, right, Like you just you can see show he Ti all the time if you want.
Speaker 1: To, yes, right, Like, this is the thing they're all facing is that there's an a availability that didn't used to be there, and it takes any in all urgency out of right these these mid season.
Speaker 2: And even with like inter league playing it like if you if you really wanted to see show Heeo Tani pitch to Aaron Judge, like that probably happened in a Dodgers Yankees game several times in the last few years, right for something that actually probably means more than the stakes.
Speaker 1: With stakes even in a regular season game, there are states that don't exist. I've long been a proponent and they've they've done it kind of I think, like I like the college basketball All first team, you know all NCAA First team, second team thirteen and they've done that. They have voting for that at the end of the year. And there's no game play. They do not play like an All Star game. You just get named to here's your performance. And what's great about it to me is it's a full season. It's not a partial season, and and it's it is an honor based on your full season.
Speaker 3: And that's it.
Speaker 1: There's no there's no actual game. I think they should they are doing that, but there's still they're still doing the game, which doesn't It just doesn't really make sense, you know.
Speaker 2: Do you know I don't know something. I have to look this up.
Speaker 1: Anyone who was on any of the first teams.
Speaker 3: No, no, I don't.
Speaker 2: I was going to, uh ask if you knew who the quarterbacks were in the Pro Bowl this year?
Speaker 3: Well, wasn't Uh wasn't it Dean Sanders kid one of them?
Speaker 2: No, I mean he was on the I don't know if he actually played. He did end up on.
Speaker 3: How like nobody goes it was a real King Rayolf situation.
Speaker 2: So the let's see, the AFC quarterbacks were. The AFC quarterbacks were somebody like m I am now trying to figure out how both was and Joe Flacco, who both played for the Bengals last year.
Speaker 1: Well they both they both really played. I mean they both played a fair amount. Seriously, Joe Flacco.
Speaker 2: Joe Flacco was on the All Protein. No, the Pro Bowl team Pro Bowl.
Speaker 1: I thought they called them. That's not the All Protein.
Speaker 2: The All Pro is different.
Speaker 1: So they do the same MLB, they do a game and okay, anyway.
Speaker 2: Well they have a they have a the All Pro rosters like more prestigious, okay than the Pro Bowl. Okay, but yeah, I mean it's just like there's no this is sort of like a vestigial thing, but also not going to give it up because they get paid money for it. Right.
Speaker 1: Well, and it's somehow one of the like quote unquote jewel yeah events, even though it's shitty. Yeah, yeah, I don't know. I think, like I said, I think every league is is struggling. I think the reason it's it's a jewel of it obviously is everything else is stopped. It's the if you want baseball, it's the only place to go unless you live near a complex. Yeah, right, Like it is the only thing going on in the sport and so there's all eyes on one thing, but like it's also all eyes on one thing that's not worth watching.
Speaker 3: But in most not just the sport unless you care about soccer. Every four years, yeah, every four years, there's no other, right, normally the MLS.
Speaker 1: I guess, yeah, season would be ongoing.
Speaker 2: I suppose it's it started. They took a break, right, Yeah, they started up towards the lot, towards towards the end of the World Cup. They're playing again. Okay, Well, maybe I wasn't trying.
Speaker 1: And I wasn't trying to spy.
Speaker 2: I mean you could have. You could have. I couldn't. I got offered a ticket, but Jess was out last. Even I couldn't go. I could have gone and watched real like against Burnley last night.
Speaker 1: I will be attending a DC United in the coming weeks. But yeah, no, I I think I guess it. I was thinking. They always talk about like the sports solstice or whatever, all things are going on, but this this baseball, the four major sports, and again soccer has entered that conversation in a way it hadn't when we were younger, right.
Speaker 2: But they are going to move MLS to a fall winter schedule, so at.
Speaker 1: Some point it's gonna be right where it's is like the only thing going on. Yeah, and so you have to, but they don't have anything worth worth doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I don't know, like you could do the NBA like pick teams and play shorter games things, I guess.
Speaker 1: But then he struggles too.
Speaker 2: I don't think anyone cares about that.
Speaker 1: They actually they get participation because the players like playing in it. But there's no, it's not competition, right, the competition similar to the Homer in Derby. The competition is the Homer in Derby. The competition is the three point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not even.
Speaker 1: It's not like stru to get participants in the dunk contest.
Speaker 2: I don't like. And obviously they're doing more. They have like the red carpet event right like now too, and like I think you can make it more of a celebration of the game without needing to play a game at the end of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And look, I think it would take some creativity. It would probably take trying some things that we would criticize and that would fail and whatever, but I think it's probably worth exploring that, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No, I don't want that. I mean, you guys can have it. I have zero interest in that, but.
Speaker 1: I guess I'm saying I think the sports should do. It might not be for me, but the sport should probably do because I don't think the All Star games work. Ultimately, I will.
Speaker 3: Say the one pleasure of the All Star Game that we don't really get again until the playoffs start is the everybody watching one game. And this is the thing I missed by not being able to watch it live, and why it's so worthless to watch things in review is like, and why I think the All Star Game is still better than the home run derby and personally, first of all, I wonder, I do worry how many home runs can you have diminishing returns? The concept exists for everything, and I don't know. I watch fifty home runs in one hour, and I think the fiftieth home run is not as fun as the first home run, like and it takes away from all future home runs. Like in my life, I can only have so much finite appreciation for the home run as a concept, and this is taking a little bit of it. So I don't know if that's healthierne but so that don't have to be for me, but at least with an All Star Game, various things could happen and therefore various jokes can be made about them, And that is the only, to me, the only value of the All Star Game.
Speaker 2: Most of what happens in game interviews, right.
Speaker 3: The All Star Game can be bad as long as it's Mano's hands of Fate bad.
Speaker 1: My my wife did say, like with all the in game interviews, from even just the portion that we watched, they were like, She was like, it really does exposed baseball is like they can do an She was like, I understand the game doesn't matter, but like they can have a conversation while they're playing the game.
Speaker 3: I hate it.
Speaker 1: That's not She was like, I don't know if that's the endorsement that they really wanted to do.
Speaker 2: The first time I saw this used in like real competition, in a real sporce competition was the PBA Tour. So that probably tells you something bowling, Yeah, yeah right right.
Speaker 1: So, so we briefly touched on the production and all the cut and and and the camera or whatever I have to we do have to bring up for the for the derby, the announcers, the coffee table, the commentabe the commentary was atrocious.
Speaker 2: Look at a certain point for something like this, you really just need Chris Berman going nuts, right, like that's I know you, but like.
Speaker 1: You need like there's no like I cannot harken back for Chris Berman well here, but like it's but you might need some someone in that you need.
Speaker 2: The energy like they're not meeting the moment of the spectacle, right.
Speaker 1: There's someone who was trying to It wasn't. First of all, they had a million people. I never identified themselves at any point, and then they Rizzo was okay as far as I could tell. But then they had someone else who was u goodly annoying.
Speaker 2: But like you don't it's not you don't need analysis. It's batting practice, right, you just need to like.
Speaker 1: You need you need someone with a childlike wonder who.
Speaker 2: I don't want run Sacafe doing it to be clear, but like it just is, Oh, look at that one. It's like the you know the ship the I did the Alan Partridge World Cup soccer video. You're like he's got a foot like a tractor engine, like you yeah, yeah, you need that kind of like energy for the home run. It's like like you need uh, you.
Speaker 1: Just need his names.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, like peak Gus Johnson, right, like you just yeah, Like it's not like you don't have to be like, wow, he's trying to pull the ball, Like we know what he's trying to do. We've seen home we know how home runs work. Like if we're watching this, right, do you see, Like you just need like as much like hyperbole as possible for this stuff. Yeah, like Junior Camonaros hitting balls four ninety like just like lean into it.
Speaker 3: Right, just flip out, yeah, yeah, because it's the same it's a home run, and then it's another home run.
Speaker 2: And then Jim Ross is got by as God as my witness, he's broken in half, Like I can't have irony pro wrestling. Yeah you need like yeah, yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 1: I Also there was a point at which they kept bringing up Jordan Walker. No cardinal has ever won it, and they were like, you go through all the cardinal hitter greats, and they I don't know, they mentioned two. They mentioned too McGuire, neither neither of whom was Albert Pooholes.
Speaker 3: He was on a couch on the brug next to his coffee too.
Speaker 1: Next to his coffee table. How literally literally, my wife, who is exposed to a lot of baseball, likes baseball, but is not, you know, a baseball Norman was like, I didn't even say it. She goes, Albert pool Holes is right there.
Speaker 2: Well, who is the other one? That McGuire?
Speaker 1: And they said McGuire and who did they?
Speaker 2: They said, we're picking like holiday.
Speaker 1: It was someone in that mold. I'm forgetting who it was. But it wasn't literally Albert Pooholes.
Speaker 2: It was Jack Clark.
Speaker 3: Jaggery was conta bar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it truly was. And now I think they went old like someone older than then Maguire maybe I don't remember. I feel bad.
Speaker 2: I don't understand me the deal.
Speaker 3: It might it might have been.
Speaker 1: No, it was Jack Clark.
Speaker 3: It was literally Jack Clark.
Speaker 1: It was Jack Clark. It was Jack Clark and and maguire and it's like.
Speaker 2: Hello, you know obviously musical and pooh Holes are one to you know, who's third on the all time Cardinals onund list?
Speaker 1: I don't know what.
Speaker 3: Patrick, Let's see. I mean, Clark wasn't around long enough.
Speaker 2: Clark's not even in the top twenty five.
Speaker 3: The the it can't be really Langford but at least Langford was there forever Langford. That's okay, boy Jim Bomsley.
Speaker 2: Eighth, it's a we won't get bogged. It's Ken Boyer.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, there you good. You could say that and no one is gonna be like Ken Boyer. That's impossible. He was only on the team for like yeah, he was only on the team for like nine years or something.
Speaker 2: You know, we're doing the I've seen like the White Sox are doing like the throwback broadcast, right, we need to do it like a nineteen sixties home run derby, like the Black and White at like the old Rickley Field in LA.
Speaker 3: Just behind the camera, behind side of the plate. Yept cut to the dugout where they interview the other guy.
Speaker 2: Yep, they should all be smoking cigarettes.
Speaker 3: Nobody in the stands. No, yes, ye, balls hitting parked cars.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: I think I.
Speaker 2: Miss that. ESPN showed a like nine in the morning, like, yeah, so.
Speaker 1: We we did have an actual game, yes, such that any of us. Yeah, managed to take it in our second segment. Hey, now you're an all star. There was there was the game.
Speaker 3: It was uh.
Speaker 1: Limited, limited fireworks, limited action. If you liked strikeouts, sure this was one for you, h the crowd. If you liked people from Philly, well, this was one for you, I guess if you if you liked watching people getting booed, this.
Speaker 2: Was Why are they actual people from Philly or are they just rich people that have moved to Philly at some point?
Speaker 1: Well, okay it was McGonagall, bood, I don't think he was. Yeah, I think McGonagall and and you know Trout also neither. Yeah, well mcgonald's delco right, yeah, I think Trout, you know, just a Philly fan. So they appreciate, the appreciate, appreciate.
Speaker 2: Long argument in the group chat. Millville is not a suburb of Philly.
Speaker 1: It is. Look, and I understand right there, I'm not gonna get but it's my point being was it was a different state. I understand that there's you get into the exurbs or it's all fine, but uh, the one for nothing. Michel Vargas never wrong, just early hit a home run off his friend and minor league teammate Justin Robleski Christopher Sanchez rough first inning, and then it was, you know, like smooth sailing in a boring way until the Vargas home run. Again just not not a lot going on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the MVP was Cody Bellinger because he, like I guess, he just led the game.
Speaker 1: It was gonna be it was basically gonna be him or Vargas.
Speaker 2: He had the game winning RBI. Yeah exactly, he had the old like yeah, nineteen eighties game winning RBI. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: We the item on our discussion here is does it feel more obsolete than it used to? We had that discussion.
Speaker 3: Yea.
Speaker 1: So I don't know anything else we want to see.
Speaker 2: I mean some of this is, you know, Otani's not there, judges and like some of the bigger stars weren't there for various reasons, which I think, you know, Misrowski didn't throw like some of the right like what was really gonna like it needed a hook, right, Like you need a hook for these sometimes.
Speaker 1: Well I'm like, no shade to the al which is one a lot of routeen thirteen or fifteen something like that. But it was just like there's a lot of and again no shade to these guys. But it was a lot of Jacob Lats and Louis Arland, yeah, you know, and and shame on Dave Roberts. There was a lot of Justin Robleski and one one batter of Mason Miller.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like.
Speaker 1: You just suck at any air that is potentially there. Roberts is sucking out with his with his choice of things.
Speaker 3: Now that I should have just had.
Speaker 2: Like I know, Christmas Sanchez is a good season. It's in Philly. Fine, they said, Mason Miller start this game.
Speaker 3: That the.
Speaker 1: I'm not trying to cast the same aspersions on Schneider, whose roster was just mostly relievers. So like he did what he what he had. Roberts, why why so much re BLESSI I mean, like I do wonder how much of it is like teams saying please don't whatever you can do to not use it, and he's with the Dodgers and kind of like, all right, I don't care if I use Justin it might come down to that. Maybe that is the reason they're never gonna tell us that really, But as a viewer for the All Star Game, you're kind of like, this is you know, look, he's having a nice season. Fine, it's a lot of Justin Fleski, a guy who should just be like happy to be here. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I want to say, like the All Star game is obsolete. We have constant in league play. The novelty is gone. I feel like you could take the game in one of two directions and the league is clearly picked which one it is, and one of them has wrestling rings and fireworks on the infield and in the game concert who was who was the inding game concert? This time I did not voice, Man, it would make sense. That's one direction you could go, and the other direction you could go is not all those things, and just be like, hey, we're just gonna have a chill time and everyone's just gonna play a game and we know it doesn't matter, and you don't know it doesn't matter, and you know, just have fun and watch this game and not have not try to make like if it sucks or if it's if it's meaningless. The problem is that the the amount of money that is invested in trying to make it seem like it isn't. If you just accepted it for what it was and not made it a thing, which it has to be a thing because it's worth money, then it would be fun. We could all just hang out and watch a game together and just goof and it would be fine. But everything the league has done to try to make this game more of a thing, makes it less of a thing to me, even watching even watching like highlights. As soon as they interviewed Bobby Wit, I had to I just not even had to. I instinctively pause the video. I cannot listen to an athlete speak while they're playing on a field. I mean, they don't do it.
Speaker 2: They have exactly one move, right, and it's like the endgame interview, that's what they have, like one and.
Speaker 1: It's I mean, I've said for years, but they have they have one idea, and it's what if we.
Speaker 2: What if we made this a talk shot?
Speaker 3: What if we made this? Yeah, what if we put podcast in our baseball game? And I just we need can we can we make a second idea? Guys?
Speaker 1: Something Here's something that's occurred to me. And I hesitate to say because I know neither of you are gonna like it, and I will say I don't. I don't like my own idea here. It's not for me, right, But the entire trend of things that are popular are it has a parasocial bent, right, And like it seems to me I was just on effectively wild this morning. I'm talking to Meg but and and I did not bring this up there, but I it seems to me that there is a huge gap between the in person experience at an All Star game or Homern Derby, even although I think the Derby translates to TV a little bit better, and the TV experience of it I've loved. I've vastly enjoyed every All Star game I've been at, even though it doesn't matter at all. Right I'm there, you can take in the pomp and and all that stuff, and it grabs you a little bit more because it's it's you're in it, right, Whereas at home you're not in it, and you could just be watching a cozy mystery, right Like that is that is a better use of your time at home. But if you're there, there's no other use of your time. You're there, and so you you do buy into it all a little bit more, right, because what else are you gonna do? Why not? I do kind of wonder if for a younger generation of fans, if this isn't where the what I would call like the weirdo streamer people on like TikTok and and Instagram and whatever, like it's a completely foreign world to me, right, but where everything is paris in it, that might flourish in a situation like this where you're getting And again that doesn't have to be on the TV broadcast, but it would be good for maybe the sport to have some of these popular influencer streamer people there and making content out of it, because all this is is content. Right there are as we keep saying like there are no stakes. Jeff is ignoring me, and Patrick is looking at me patronizingly. I know this isn't for us, but I do think for the sport that is maybe an avamue.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I mean, like what I assume the thing is, like we gotta get It's not even the lannails anymore because we're all forty.
Speaker 1: Isn't this what Libby done?
Speaker 3: Is?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well she was there, she was on the red card.
Speaker 1: But was she working or she just there? Put her to work?
Speaker 2: Look all the they put all the influencers in the celebrity softball game and it didn't work, like.
Speaker 1: You do ship like, well, the game that doesn't matter is going they should be doing they they like again, I'm the World Cup has I don't know. They had some person who I know is is like a streamer who's popular, Like, okay, sure, I.
Speaker 2: Like, I'm not thrilled.
Speaker 1: I know that, but here we again it's not for me. I don't want it, but like they to me, that's what they should be doing at the l don't do it at the I don't want it at the World Cup again, that has steaks. Get this guy out of my face, yea. But someone who was like, well, I guess I'm I'm like it was someone who's getting transferred, right or whatever he's like or they oh no, they had him talking to h what's his name? Jalen Brown, who was like, well, I just got traded, so like whatever, has no idea what he's like, you got traded really, And it's like, yeah, man, actually you should maybe look up the guy you're about to talk to. But but again, at a game with no stakes, yeah, I'd be a lot more tolerant of it. Again, also because I don't want to see it. Don't put it on the broadcast, but let them do it to their audience.
Speaker 3: Craig wants a YouTuber in the bottom quarder of the TV.
Speaker 1: I don't want him on the screen.
Speaker 3: Reacts to the All Star Game fine.
Speaker 1: Though again I'm not it's not for me anyway.
Speaker 3: But I you know, you're just you're just trying to think of ways for me to never watch it all. Start game again. I appreciate it. No, it's saying it's not for me.
Speaker 1: You're not watching those channels anyway.
Speaker 2: Just chatting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I need someone who's saying chat every fifteen seconds or so? What do we think?
Speaker 3: Chat? All? Right?
Speaker 1: Do you want to take a break or one more? One more break? Break on the idea of streamers at at an All Star game. We will take a break and be back with the rest.
Speaker 3: Of the show.
Speaker 2: Look, it's bad enough they let rich staff there.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to episode five hundred and sixty three of five and Dive. We're on segment three. They had us in the first half not gonna lie. We are looking at one bold second half prediction. Each who wants to go first?
Speaker 2: I'll go first. I change mine.
Speaker 1: Yes, I saw that, well, I planned because of the breaking news.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that either. I had planned to do that and then forgot I had planned to do that and picked a different one. I'm going with Chase Burns. When again, I'll say and always there's been a lot of like Missierowski and Sanchez chat miss Zach Wheeler and like Chase Burns is just quietly having a great season.
Speaker 1: Yes, well it's quiet because the Reds because.
Speaker 2: Well, yes, the red bum Like yeah, I mean the Reds are bad now.
Speaker 3: They were.
Speaker 1: They were interesting for part of the year.
Speaker 2: They were interested. It's just the best you can remember that for the and it was like when the vision was yeah, and.
Speaker 3: Yet they were interesting and then they were almost as interesting as every other team in their division.
Speaker 1: Okay they were, but they were part of that discussion.
Speaker 2: So he's got a few like positive markers here for that kind of stuff. He's eleven and one, which I don't think like matters as much as it used to. But it's like, yeah, he goes like, you know, eighteen and three, like it looks pretty right, Like it looks it.
Speaker 1: Allows to kick up some votes from the voters who still care about that. There are much fewer voters who care about it.
Speaker 2: They're still out there.
Speaker 1: They're still out there.
Speaker 2: He's got a two and a half ra playing his home games and Citizen not Citizens Bank, Great American Ballpark, and like, again, the strikeout numbers are good. I'm not as good as Mizierowski's, but they're quite good. I just think he could be like the I think it'll be kind of a like a split vote kind of race, and I think he could win just being like second on a lot of people's ballots or something like that too, that's the first place votes as well. But I think he'll be like the Like he could just be like he's just really good. Like I don't want I'm like trying to like come up with these weird like edge cases, but he's just he might be the best picture in the National League. It's not impossible that he is just the best picture in the National League. Like he's still like I you know, he's it's not like he's working super deep into games. He's averaging under six innings a start, but again that's not as uh, you know, much of his impediment. Like there's nobody here outside of Sancho's right, there's nobody here that's likely to throw a ton more innings than that. You know, Misowski is a little over six, and again, like he's the he is the guy. He's struck out one hundred and sixty seven and one hundred and eleven innings that's a one point sixty two. You are right, this is his to lose at this point, but you know he's capable of losing the Zigner any given time, or getting injured, or just having a couple of blow up starts here and there to make this a little bit closer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Patrick, Sure, Uh So, my prediction is that we see one surprising, if not shocking, white flag trade. Uh So, Craig, you wrote an article a game on site today just about how weird the deadline is and how how how confused what buying and selling is going to mean. I do think we're gonna I do think Griffin Jackson is going to be common. But I think we have one team that is just going to look at a twenty five to thirty playoff odds.
Speaker 1: You say Griffin Jackson, and I know we brought him up before, But like the that was a pretty straight buy, was it, like the Twins were just the Twins were just selling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but the Rays didn't. I mean, that was buying, but it wasn't buying in the conventional We're making a move at the deadline. The Rays were out of it by that point too. They were just looking at next year.
Speaker 1: And then okay, okay, oh, okay, I'm with you.
Speaker 3: What I'm saying is that you're not buying in the I'm buying for this race right now. Yeah, I'm with and the Rays certainly could have also an oh, somebody wants Griffin Jacks for more than we paid for him, will happily flip him if the idea comes. Yeah, this is where we're trading for value rather than going all in as I think. I think you're going to see a lot of But I do think that there's going to be at least one team that by you know, because everybody's in it, one team is going to go. No. The prices here are too good to sell. And I think the prices will be good to sell because there's not that many people that And I think the Cardinals strike me as the team that's most likely to do it, just because blooms early in his tenure. The Cardinals are a year early. They're in it, but they're not you know, the by peripherals, by by the metrics, and not as strong as maybe their their record looks by pythak. They're one game over five hundred. I could see them going now, Actually, we'll just go ahead and trade New Bar. Well, we'll trade, you know, right in May with Dustin May, I can Riley O'Brien even maybe it's thirty one and just being like, no, we we prefer to we'd prefer to just catch this in for next year instead. And I'm interested to see to see how people are going to react to that. Yeah, because the Cordonels go ahead.
Speaker 1: Well, I just think the the only counter pressure to that, I agree with everything you've played out is that Saint Lewis fans don't tolerate. I mean, this was essentially what a lot of our essay was about in the Annual this year from from Jeff Jones, right like, it's been three losing seasons and they've in a lot of ways deserted in terms of showing up. They have like deserted to see their attendance had plummeted, right like, they don't. No one likes losing, sure, but we're not dealing with this is a fan base that that takes it very seriously.
Speaker 2: Right in a lot of ways them might say they're the best fans in baseball.
Speaker 1: Craik, I'm not saying that, But the the thing about that is, I just I wonder if there's any pressure the other way applied by the fact that, like they are, they're at least good now. They might not they're not great, but they're at least good now. And like if you go into if you sell into a fourth losing season, So I guess, how much image do you do? You do?
Speaker 3: It's only it's only there's only two They went eighty three and seventy nine twenty.
Speaker 1: Okay, but they missed the playoffs.
Speaker 3: They missed the playoffs for three straight years. But that's considered a losing season for them, right, But but it's making the third wild card and losing two games and exiting. Is that a winning season?
Speaker 2: Like, I don't know, but more so than the right And you're at least like showing you're showing trend lines there too, like you can especially with like weather, Holt and Walker and like having their breakouts and things like that, Like, look, do I think they can really repeat this next year with the pitching they have right now? No, But also they're a good chance of pitching is just better next year because I have different guys. Look, I could see them trading like Dustin May, Jojo Romero and Lars new bar and you know, taking advantage of a fairly shallow market, especially for outfield and starting pitching and like not and like still be okay, sure, and it's like they're not like I think they can call the playoffs and do that. I think it's gonna they might miss it anyway though, like right, like and like if they call up like Quinn Matthews. I think Quinn Matthews can come up and pitch about as well as Dustin May right now, right.
Speaker 1: Like okay, But if you keep Dustin May and call up Quinn Matthews, then you have two of those guys. And I wire someone you have three of those guys and they don't have any real you know, their pitching is not they have easily identifiable.
Speaker 2: Right, And I will you know, I will ask a question that will only be asked on this podcast, But is Large New Bar actually better than Nelson Alaska's at this point?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: I mean I at least thought you were gonna say, like Nathan Church if he's going.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean he hasn't been, and Nelson Alaskas has so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but Nelson Alaskis does this every year, and maybe he'll do it for the rest of the year. Maybe, I mean, I my recom.
Speaker 2: I guess the question is, and then you might just have to trade Dustin May if you don't feel like you're going to qualify him anyway, Like I don't think you can can right, Like you're getting into that gallon ish. I mean it's like his platform here will actually be better than that gallon without that gallon, right, So like maybe you just move him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, look again, I think the plan was absolutely move all these guys and arguable.
Speaker 2: Look, if you find a team that buys in on Michael McGreevy, like he struck out sixty six and one hundred and one.
Speaker 1: We're talking about May. Dustin May has a four or five e rs.
Speaker 2: I know there's not a lot of starting pitching.
Speaker 1: Is much better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, could use the violins, could use Dustin May, and we'll move him from the ugly Red Cardinals or whatever the Barlan's turns out when yeah, well, yeah, great, We're just gonna run all of Craig's aesthetic nightmares for Dustin May beat around them.
Speaker 1: I'm not even again, I get Yeah, I think there are a number of teams that are currently in contention that have the opportunity to do this right, Like, the Cardinals aren't even in the playoffs right now, they're a game out. The Nationals are four games out. I think the Nationals will they don't know con but yeah they can move in whatever they can. Yeah, right, But even even those teams, I think it's going to be somewhat mitigated to what it could be. Twins, these teams that have had no hope the last few years are now in a very awkward position. I know a lot of these guys are analytical and care about the long term and keep their eyes on the horizon more than right in front of them.
Speaker 2: They're literally tied for a wildcard spot, holy fun, and and.
Speaker 1: Are bloodless about this, right, But I do think and I think that can still be the case in the overall trajectory. But I do wonder if it doesn't bit of like we're not selling everything that's not Neil.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like it's time for some game theory. How long you run into like if you're the Twins specifically, right, it's like even if you think you're.
Speaker 1: The owner, keeps coming out and saying we're we're fucking in it, and they are.
Speaker 2: As it turns, But like even if you think you want to buy, are you going to buy more than the Red Sox?
Speaker 3: Well, and also with the Twins, even if you sell the Cardinals, you could at least go Yeah, we think next we want to we want to up our chances for next year. Twins are like, this is it and we better take advantage of it.
Speaker 2: Like dust m a and Jojo Romero probably aren't here next year anyway, so it's like, yeah.
Speaker 1: Well and also then again you get to like the Orioles and the Blue Jays and like, you know, Michael Ia says we're gonna buy, but like does he know how we're gonna and how committed is there's no evidence yet, citation needed.
Speaker 3: Don't threaten us with a bad time, but like.
Speaker 1: Also, you know, citation needed on we're going to buy? But all so, how committed are you to that? You know, again, they've now won they won three in a row, they lost three in a row and then won four in a row.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess we can transition to your bold prediction now since we're talking about Yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's fair. My my bold prediction is the Al East gets four playoff teams. I don't even know how bold that is. The Red Sox have one nine in a row.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're one game out, Sam, They're one game out.
Speaker 1: The Orioles are two games out, and the Blue Jays are two and a half. It's just that there are a lot of teams here, right, But what this so the Yankees are They're all like the you feel like I feel fine. The Yankees are making sure, the Rays are making it. The Rays are being well, yeah, it's probably crank company.
Speaker 2: Okay, Craig, Okay, okay, okay, Craig, I had to like you tell me like that.
Speaker 1: I do want to point that was a bit I had to.
Speaker 2: I don't feel great about the Blue and Oos. I think the Red Sox might actually be pretty not pretty good now, but good enough to get to like eighty six wins, which will probably be enough.
Speaker 1: Like your kid, socks are are a game and a half better than the Orioles right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you could tell me they're a better team. I think I think they're a better team right now. You could tell me that the or Like, I could be easily convinced the Oriols and Jays are better than the Rangers and the Twins. And that's also all close enough now that you know, over seventy games, like that might be enough, Like you could talk to me. I just they are still going to play. These teams are still gonna play each other a fair bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's the hard part. Well, I think that's honestly what makes it bold? Yeah, I don't know, because the Guardians, Twins, Mariners.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, like the other thing is the any of these aos teams are the Twins can just like lose four out of six to the Angels and Royals, like it's things that can happen. Yeah, I don't Yeah, got the It's one thing I'm not looking I'm not looking forward just at the race over the next two and a half months.
Speaker 1: But a lot of this to me is the posture of this, right is that like to your point, like maybe the Red so can you buy more than the Red.
Speaker 2: Sox, right, And there's like there's there's more pressure on the right are gonna buy? Right, there's more pressures and orioles to make the playoffs, And there is the Rangers probably even the Mariners frankly, and the Twins so exactly.
Speaker 1: And and so I think again it's also buying looks like.
Speaker 2: It's entirely possible one or both of the White Sox and Guardians come back to the pack here too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, absolutely, I don't. I mean you think I I think the Rays are frauds, like, yeah, don't get me started on the Guardians who proved me wrong every year. But I still think it.
Speaker 2: I mean, they could win the division stebe frauds.
Speaker 1: They did last year. So yeah, that's that's my prediction. I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Explanation.
Speaker 1: Let's go to our fourth segment. We'll go around the horn. We had a trade Patrick, I mentioned you wrote up the transaction analysis and it was at least partially halfway about your deck, but it was a it was a good metaphor.
Speaker 3: The metaphor Lancepa Colors and and uh, you know, think of half his remaining salary are going to Milwaukee.
Speaker 2: The right arm of theseus riginal parts left at it.
Speaker 3: Uh, it is made out of actual wood putty. At this point, Uh, he is joining Colton Gordon in traveling over at Colton Gordon. The actual trade receipt for this trade, this is.
Speaker 2: A Berry Brewers acquisition.
Speaker 1: I said that on On effectively Wild earlier this morning. And I also called him Tanner Gordon and I I'm gonna posit what I said there. I apologize for anyone who listens to both, but Tanner and Colton are the same name to me there, They're very different phonetically, but they are.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So so mccullor's like basically has been rehabbing from his you know, like rotator cuff because God knows, you know. Like mccullor's like, I'm shocked that he just doesn't have t s as well. And these just all three, like they have the first picture to have all three major arm injuries at the same time. He is rehabbing. He's been okay in triple A. He should be ready soon. The Brewers don't have enough pictures right now. I believe they are starting Robert Gasser in the fifth spot. It's it's like they're they're kind of out of backups, so they needed some more depth. I don't know if mccullor's is going to help them. I don't think they know if mcaullor's is going to help them, but he's essentially you know, I mean, oh, they signed Bryce Wilson, that's right. They resigned Bryce Wilson. Uh, Like, what if what if there's a Carlos Carasco that some other teams also got to use sometimes and so you occasionally just don't get to have him when you need to call him. Like imagine if the Braves had to like take wait in line.
Speaker 2: I think some of this they are just the astros want to clear this money so they can make a by trade because I.
Speaker 3: Guess they're close to the salary cap.
Speaker 2: It's not a cap, but they but it's not a cap, and like maybe they get something out of my college. They're basically buying a prospect. Hereinge go with MCC's remaining salary, which is not a ton.
Speaker 3: And and Gordon has like I thought he was just bad because every time I see him he's bad. In Triple A, he's actually been.
Speaker 1: He's he's it's weird.
Speaker 2: I think he's probably a reliever, but they can probably turn him into it, like a decent one out of this which for seven million or whatever it is is.
Speaker 3: It is weird that he as homer prone as he is given his profile, and if he is not homer prone, then he's a perfectly fine He's not to any guy, right, He's the old Chad Patrick before Chad Good, which chant Patrick turned into a good reliever. So maybe that's the same.
Speaker 1: Maybe they're going to do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you know, it's an interesting trade.
Speaker 1: I had someone say, we're going to get an article within a month on Gordon throwing his fastball less and having a lot more success elsewhere in the Central The subject of Jeffrey's bold prediction is going to stay in Cincinnati for a while seven years.
Speaker 2: I was told that small market teams can't afford to retain their best players.
Speaker 1: Craig, yeahs as it turned the week. And yet every year we see somewhere between seven and nine years and one hundred and five and one million dollars guys staying with their teams. Now they are usually were with those teams or at least under team control for many of those years. But nevertheless, Chase Burns, Yeah, we'll stay in Cincinnati seven years, one hundred five million dollars.
Speaker 2: This may look I'm not going to begrudge any picture taking one hundred million dollars legon just of what happens. Was Fencer Strider right, like, you're always one arm injury away, and look if he doesn't get said arm injury, like he's still hitting free agency before his age thirty one season, Like, he won't be a super old free.
Speaker 1: Agent, right and given that there will be no free agents because they're all signed to extensions. So I'll either sign an extension early or be one of you know, he'll be Uh, I don't know. Dylan Cees, sure right, Dylan Sees did very well.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: Elsewhere Tommy Troy, yep, goes on the IL.
Speaker 2: This is how I learned that Brian Walschmidt was back, so I have to take him off the mid season fifty there's always one.
Speaker 1: Yes, they called him back up right before yeah, right before the break during the Dodgers series.
Speaker 3: It's a good chance for you to learn how Max Kepler is doing. Max Kepler's not doing great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, shocking, weird mm hmm h Tommy Tanks, Tommy White right, yes, yes, called up to the athletics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as soon. He's just replacing Kurts, I assume functionally, I mean, not actually replacing him, but taking his position if.
Speaker 1: Not production Yeah, uh yeah, I don't. I don't have anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like I know he's not he's famous, but yeah, yeah, like I mean really since his freshman year at NT State, Like he hasn't actually lived up to the thirty home runs or whatever he had. But like hen like, it's not impossible. He can be some power the average hit or he has some power. He doesn't really, he's not really optimized. He swings too much. It's not a bad park, home park for him.
Speaker 1: I am yeah, Patrick, let's get into it.
Speaker 3: M all right. So, uh, the the Sacramento Athletics designated for silent one Aaron Okay, Civilly, the.
Speaker 1: Discord is going to be thrilled. So here's the here's the thing though, here's the thing, Patrick, what did you find on Wikipedia?
Speaker 3: Last time I found the Wikipedia? Does it as civil? It was, yeah, which is what we have different pronunciations on different like what.
Speaker 1: I'm sure I've said at times, which is like Seveille or whatever, which is definitely not right. But yeah, it is b ref, says Civilly. Yes, Wikipedia, says Savally. And I will never go back and watch a start to tell you.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I thought about it this morning and now, so what to watch is his next start? Wherever it is, where he.
Speaker 1: Lands, maybe it's in triple, it doesn't matter someone.
Speaker 3: It's absolutely gonna be Miami though, right I thought Colorado?
Speaker 2: Oh no, come on Ye, Colorado.
Speaker 3: He has a twenty five percent ground ball rate. This like, you cannot put this man in Colorado.
Speaker 1: They're gonna let tell me Yoki Sigano teach him some things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he would like give him at least give him the cal Quantrell like stick in the middle, relief in the shed so that he can just give up his fly balls and peace.
Speaker 1: Honestly, Texas seems viable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it does actually seem viable. But Miami needs somebody.
Speaker 1: And like maybe Houston needs a new Lance mc colors. Yeah, there are three games out of a playoff spot, you guys, I know sure.
Speaker 2: My original pick was Houston Wednesday n Ols. That would be amazing if they wanted to Aos. Yeah, uh, like I do think they're gonna buy. Like, it's not like so they they cleared the Lance mcclor's money. It's not like they were gonna get anything out of lancem colors that gives them money to spend on somewhere that might the other right, And this.
Speaker 1: Is what I mean again by by a weird deadline like Milwaukee is taking is clearing money for Houston.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, to get.
Speaker 1: A Gordon Yeah Colton, can we get.
Speaker 2: This one's Colton, Yes, this one's Can we get Dustin May in the eighties Astro Jerseys? Honestly, that might might be a better Yeah, yeah, yeah, that.
Speaker 1: Might be as if you get them in the Tequila Sunrise ones something like that. In other news, Rock Chiluski. Yeah, if I may quote, the commiteion sets a bonus record, what is over ten? Yeah, the slot was over eleven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we'll just we'll just do this again next year probably.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, he is not like who I would.
Speaker 2: We're just gonna do it again next year. Like it's because the slot they're trying, they're trying to like cut the draft in slots and CBA. I don't think they'll get there, so that whatever, like the first overall slot will be like twelve point two next year and someone will cut to ten point nine and get picked, and you know, we'll keep going right, almost like these guys are worth more than they are.
Speaker 1: I wonder if Steve Cohen has a famous quote yeah that in other news that might cut against MLB owner positioning in their in their labor negotiations. The Yankees are getting reportedly getting an investment of three billion dollars from Apollo. What is Apollo.
Speaker 2: Global whatever, it's a hedge fund.
Speaker 1: I had seen for fifteen percent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's some kind of debt equity combination.
Speaker 1: So I don't know exactly, but do we know what the valuation because if it's just fifteen percent or whatever, that which is not, which isn't, But I imagine the number, the valuation number is going to be very high. Yeah, and this amitst the owner saying like, our franchise valuations aren't high enough. So we'll see, we'll see, we'll see if that gets conveniently ignored or omitted.
Speaker 2: The Yankees don't count, right, Yeah, the Yankees are different.
Speaker 1: It's it's not like the padre is just so right voting on that. By the way, it's supposed to happen sometime in the second half, which takes us to a game.
Speaker 3: All right, our game is before and after. I worked hard on this. I will say I'm going to preface this by saying, last night, when I made this game, is perhaps the most tired I have been, because physically, mentally, spiritually, in a long time. Uh So, we'll see how you do. All right, you're ready? All right? A huge free agent bust closer for the Blue Jays who made the All Star Game in his first year with them, and it is seemingly the only rookie position player to struggle in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: Yeah, bj Ryan Walschmidt, that's correct. Oh okay, I guess he was bad before he got sent.
Speaker 3: Ye he was, but eighty ops plus.
Speaker 2: Struggle struggle relative to every other rookie.
Speaker 3: Ye all right. A Hall of famer who want shited his pants in the Bolangio and a New York met who might get non tender this winter.
Speaker 2: George Brett Batty baby correct.
Speaker 3: Good, good, one all right. Number three, an oft injured pitcher nicknamed Big Sweat and a slugger who made the All Star team this decade at the age of forty.
Speaker 1: Jeff Nelson Cruise clothes, Big Sweat, Jimmy Nelson Cruise.
Speaker 3: There you go. One point for Craig Jimmy Elton Nelson, Big Sweat didn't know and no man if.
Speaker 2: I was going to go Ryan Nelson Cruise, that's flop Sweat.
Speaker 3: Right. Next one, a seventeen year fourth outfielder who was named after his dad's Hall of Fame Cardinals teammate, and the man who banished Will Craig to a different continent by evading a tag play.
Speaker 1: Stan Javier Bias. I only knew that because I know the name Stan Javier and I knew Javier Bias.
Speaker 3: All right, number five, we are tied up. It was an Island East total so Uh, a one time Tigers center field prospect who sold fifty six bases and three hundred and twenty one career games and the only Giants pitcher to make the All Star Team.
Speaker 2: Giants pitcher made the All Started.
Speaker 3: You really need to know the second part because I imagine you're not going to get the first part.
Speaker 2: I should, I mean I should probably know the first part.
Speaker 1: Well, but I don't. Oh nuke logan web correct. I all the pronunciation people, I apologize. I just was it was overwhelmed in the moment. It's nook. I know it's not. I apologize, all right.
Speaker 3: Next one, the third basement of the most common surname among Hall of famers and his second basement. It probably would have made it himself he hadn't been done.
Speaker 2: Brooks Robinson canal correct.
Speaker 3: Nice, good job, all right? Start at three with three left. Next one, a longtime dh who got his nickname from the bull his mom used to cut his hair, and the ace of the twenty twenty six Chicago White Sox staff.
Speaker 1: No, I mean I know the second one.
Speaker 3: Yep, longtime DH who got his nickname from the bowl his mom to use to cut his hair.
Speaker 2: I Chris Davis Martin.
Speaker 1: Bos Oh, that's I mean, that was a great I had.
Speaker 2: Two shots at it. Two because there's two Chris Davis's.
Speaker 3: That's okay, and I would have accepted either one.
Speaker 1: Yep, I don't, I don't. The nickname thing doesn't help me at all. I don't know, all right, give up, I guess so it was. I don't know. Is Ken Davis someone Ken Davis Martin? It's Chili Davis, oh, son of them? Yeah, and shame on me, all right.
Speaker 3: This one's a bit of a stretch. A second overall pick who won eight goal gloves and helped bring a championship to Kansas City and an eighth overall pick who drift around the league for a decade, hitting two thirty.
Speaker 2: Seven Alex Gordon Beckham.
Speaker 1: Correct, Oh see, I got Alex Gordon and I what's weird is like you said a high pick and my mind went to Gordon Beckham and then I was like, oh, the rest of this doesn't apply. And I was like, oh Alex Gordon.
Speaker 3: Wonder who all right? And last one? So Craig needs this to tie. Yeah, a picture who lost sixty three games between twenty twenty one and twenty twenty four and a two hundred million dollar pitcher who's won sixty three games in his entire career.
Speaker 2: Thinking about this, this is a good like this one, it's a good one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, two hundred million dollar pictures won sixty three?
Speaker 3: Hey do you I?
Speaker 2: I think I know the second one, but now I'm trying to do the picture.
Speaker 3: And like, if you get the second one, then you should know the first one.
Speaker 1: Can I ask? Is the second one active?
Speaker 3: What do you? How do you define active? He's on the IL.
Speaker 1: Okay? Well, I meant like.
Speaker 2: Playing like, yeah he is, he is Patrick Corbyn Burns correct. I was getting stuck on Dylan, so I'm like, yeah, gone on the first.
Speaker 3: One because he has sixty three wins. Then yeah, I got I was very pleased when that came up to seventy one wins.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's that's in the range. Yeah. I was also locked down on Rockies Pictures.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 2: I'm like but none of these Rockies pictures have like first name, like.
Speaker 1: Last thinking Kyle for some reason, I don't know.
Speaker 3: What I was doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Patrick Burns, well done, Patrick, you loved it. I know you put in the work, but you were smiling.
Speaker 3: Throughout enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good thing. Congratulations on your win, Jeffrey, and thank you to our listeners for joining us on another episode of five and Dive brought to you by the Baseball Perspective podcast Network. You can get in touch with the show at five and Dive at Baseball perspectives dot com. We are wherever you get your podcast. Search for Baseball Perspectives podcast network and will be in that feed. And if you've been waiting for the pod to be over, your time is now. Our cattle Way Boy used to live by lond