Speaker 1: Jo nine says partly cloudy, maybe a storm this afternoon, eighty three for the high overnight little sixty seven, humid and clear, eighty four Tomorrow mostly sunny, possible rain over nine cloudie and sixty six Thursday partly cloudy, a hotter going up to eighty eight seventy right now traffic time.
Speaker 2: From the tramping center.
Speaker 3: Nearly sixty percent of Americans waiting on an organ transplant are from multicultural communities. Get the gift of bike, become an organ donor, or explore living donation at you see help dot com, slash transplant broken Down's clear wes spend two seventy five coming off of the Combs Hail Bridge. That tramping still a slow go through Anderson Downship South Pound seventy five, break flights through Lachland North Pound seventy five, futtermil to the bridge. Chuck Ingram on fifty five krc the talk station, Hey twenty.
Speaker 1: Nine fifty five KRCD Talk station, and that time of the week we get to hear from retired Lieutenant Colonel Daniel Davis doing the Daniel Davis Deep Dive. You can find that podcast online and see what Daniel talks about throughout the week. Welcome back, my friend. It's always a real pleasure having on my program.
Speaker 2: Always look forward to this every week. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: And let's start with Ukraine, because I know we can talk about Israel Goza too, and maybe we'll get to that. But I've seen a couple of articles. Man, the situation in Ukraine is getting just outright desperate. A couple of fun facts. Average Ukrainian soldiers already forty or older. They have a pre war population of forty one million. It's now down to between twenty eight and thirty million. Six and a half million Ukrainians have fled the country. There are millions under Russian occupation rule, so they're not accessible. They put out a a A. Zelensky signed a law now allowing Ukrainians over the age of sixty to join the military and non combat roles to free up I guess those non combat younger people to go to the front lines. They can't get anybody to sign up anymore. They're looking for signing bonuses. Only twelve percent of the new recruits had joined voluntarily last year. The rest were conscripted. They're doing protests in the street because viral videos are going around with these Ukrainian recruit guys just grabbing people off the streets and send them off the military service. This situation sounds desperate, Daniel, I mean, am I missing something on this or have I got this right?
Speaker 4: The only thing you're missing is that there was an additional report that I saw yesterday where one of the members of the Ukrainian Parliament was complaining, saying, listen, we are suffering so many casualties, and we are losing over one thousand people per day killed and wounded, and this is the big bombshells, he said, And over five hundred per day are abandoning the fight, going a wall, just leaving, just deserting their units.
Speaker 2: She goes. We cannot sustain this.
Speaker 4: She goes, we may literally be running out of people before the end of the year and have no army. I mean, she was really sounded the alarm. But then, of course you'd never know that from listening to Zelensky, because he keeps just talking like there's no problem here and we're just going to keep fighting and we're going to reject every opportunity for a diplomatic outcome.
Speaker 2: So yeah, there's a problem.
Speaker 1: Well, and he's pleading the European Union to give money to them so they can afford to pay the soldiers more. I guess as a dangling carrot or something. But that made me pivot over the economic impact that this war has had on the country itself. Is anybody doing work, Is anybody you know performing labor that results in taxpayer dollars going into support the Ukrainian government for whatever it needs to do. I mean, with that many people gone and the country being war torn, I don't know how people are even living their lives at this point, Daniel Davis, Right, And a.
Speaker 4: Lot of that money doesn't just go for soldiers that they're requesting, right, It goes to it just to pay civil servants to keep the government functioning, because exactly what you said, they don't have the tax receipts to just fund the normal operations of their government. So you're talking millions upon millions of dollars every day just to keep the government running. So they can't do that unless they have a NonStop trough feeding in from Western Europe.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 4: Western Europe is also struggling economic please, so I just don't see how any of this is sustainable yet.
Speaker 2: You have sudg just Elenski.
Speaker 4: It's the Western leadership that just stays just myopically focused on ex putting some kind of a strategic defeat on Russia.
Speaker 2: Without the means to do so. And that's the irrational part.
Speaker 4: That's just causing the Ukraine country to just continue to be ground to dust.
Speaker 1: Which I suppose feeds into Russia's position on this matter. I mean, they don't have to move away from their position. We've I mean, we sound like a broken record at this juncture. Daniel Davis talking about this. Russia's position keeps getting stronger the more the day's roll on. That just means every day there's a thousand less Ukrainian soldiers on the front line, or maybe fifteen hundred.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: But if this is a battle of attrition, Russia clearly has the ball in its court. Why would they even bother to negotiate? I mean, and what's with this deadline? There's a ceasefire deadline on Friday. I mean, I don't even know what that means.
Speaker 4: Well, well, yeah, I mean what it means, and is even more puzzling because President Trump, I think it was yesterday, ready, the day before clarified.
Speaker 2: Yes, this deadline is firm.
Speaker 4: It is this Friday, the eighth of August, and probably there will be some sanctions put in. But then interestingly, he adds, but it probably won't do any good. It probably won't make them change their mind. And then one has to wonder, Look, it's not just sanctions on Russia, it's secondary sanctions on China, India, Brazil and several anyone who does business with Russia in the the pedrocarbons area for oil and gas, and that look, we're already having huge trouble getting the normal deals signed with specially with all three of those actually, and especially India that's the biggest one, because China's already kind of antagonistic, but India's kind of is pliable to be our friend or our ada.
Speaker 2: Exactly. This is not gonna help us. So I just don't understand where we're going with this.
Speaker 1: Well that I mean, you suggest Trump's kind of back into a corner along those lines. He doesn't want to alienate India, and he is trying to get a better relationship with China and so far as trade deals are concerned. So this had throw a giant monkey wrench into the whole process. I think you know the bluff has been called here. It appears well, it does appear that. Unfortunately.
Speaker 4: You say he's back into a corner, But he was the one that made the corner, because he's the one who added this or created this deadline. So I don't really understand why he did that. Maybe he thought just the threat of it would cause Russia to do something. I don't know why he initially did it, but now he is himself acknowledging that it's unlikely, and I would say impossible, not even unlikely. There's no chance, zero chance that Russia would submit to what Trump wants, which would only benefit the Ukraine side. They'll never do that, and so the front line is going to continue to be chewing up y Ukraine troops and Russia will not stop.
Speaker 1: They clearly will not. Well, let us assume, for the sake of discussion, you had a more rational, thoughtful, contemplative leader in Ukraine, someone who was willing to acknowledge how bad the situation is for them, someone who might be willing to acknowledge some concessions to the Russians in terms of some of the Russian dominated areas that they have already taken over conceding a partial victory to Russia. That is a possibility to resolve the broader conflict before Ukraine gets completely rolled over, isn't it.
Speaker 4: That's one of the things that the Russian side themselves say that they are really frustrated about. That deal that you said has been on the table offered from the Russian side since June of last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not this past June.
Speaker 4: They've been saying it over and over and they have never deviated from that, and they're still saying the same things. It's a draconian issue, there's no question about it. It's an ugly deal for Ukraine, without question. But it's much better, or maybe a better way to say it, it's much less worse than the current situation where you're dying by the large, by the bucket loads every day. Just imagine how many people in Ukraine have been killed since June of last summer, and how many could have been saved if they had had the same deal and instead of the worst one that they're gonna end up with. If Russia just physically mows all the way to Kiev. That's what that the woman said that the parliamentarian if nothing changes, Russia could be at the gates of kiv by the end of this year.
Speaker 1: Wow, well, any change, chances for an administration changed, there a coup or something, I know, Marshal Osman declared, which is the only reason is Lensky is still currently president. I mean, if you've got people protesting in the streets over you know, snatching young men off the streets and throwing them into the army against their will, if you have people fleeing the country in order to avoid that, it sounds to me like the population of Ukraine might choose a different direction in terms of leadership.
Speaker 4: So far, there there is an increasing number that's doing that, but so far the numbers of support for Zelensky are still quite especially in the western parts where they don't see the aspects of war. A lot of the people in the eastern part where all the fighting and dying and destroying is happening, which are large percentage of ethnic Russians. Actually there's there are a lot worse Zelensky and the other people in the other part of the country. So in terms of the people uprising, there's there's doesn't appear to be any in imminent danger, but there are rumors that some of the other folks in Ukraine, so they as all kind of the folks, other even possibly European people, are tired of dealing with him, and there's some suggestion that he consider stepping down, et cetera. But so far those are all just reports, and you know, someone anonymous is reporting, so we don't know how valid those are. But Zelenski can't help but be pretty nervous these days.
Speaker 1: I imagine. So I'm sorry we're at a time we can't get to Gaza and Israel. Something suggests to me that that topic will still be alive and well for our conversation next Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Daniel Davis Deep Dive.
Speaker 1: Find him online, follow his podcast and tune in every Tuesday at a thirty Here the fifty five Cars Morning Show. Stay well, my friend, see you next week. Look forward to it. A thirty eight fifty five KRSY Talk station VvE ak Ramaswami.
Speaker 4: Next, this is fifty five KRC an iHeartRadio station.