Speaker 1: Oh that's are.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to the show. This is the Cults of Conspiracy, and my name is Jonathan.
Speaker 3: I'm Jacob.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna lie, dude. It feels really weird. We went two straight days with no recording at all. I'm like, I'm lost, I'm new, i don't know what to do.
Speaker 3: It's it's a little different, bro. But honestly, I liked the break right. So for anybody who doesn't know, I have a cousin who's getting married. We're recording this on Sunday right now. It's coming out on Tuesday. And you know, there we were, we were all having a little fish and trip until ead a bend, right, And anybody who knows I'm not the biggest of nature freaks. I do enjoy nature. I enjoy fishing, I enjoy hunting. I don't get to do it as much as I would like to, right, just because work and life and kids and things. It's just it's not always in the cars me to get a week in off to just go out into nature and have a good time. Right. But with that being said, I decided that this was going to be an excellent time to do a little bit of research into keeping the earth clean, okay, just overall, keeping not just America clean, but the air and the water quality and the environment itself. And a big portion of this is, or at least what we in America have been taught, recycling, right, that is the best way to try to help keep America clean, to help the environment. You want to protect the earth for future generations, and I support all of that as far as the theory of it goes, okay, but I couldn't just sit on this because the fact of the matter is that recycling is a scam and it also doubles up as a syop Jonathan, before we get started, what is your take on this? We touched on it a bit on the last Live, but I don't know. Are you of the belief that I'm kind of full of shit here? Do you believe that there might be a kernel of truth? Like, before we even get started, where do you currently sit?
Speaker 2: I'm just over here chuckling, because even when we have off days, we're still thinking about concepts and still looking into information and still got that third eye all the way open. It's like, once you got that fucking thing open, dude, it stays open. It doesn't go back to being shut. I can't turn it off.
Speaker 3: We can't turn it off. I was just trying to have a little good time fishing for some saccal a right with my family, and here we all were talking conspiracies. Right then, I'm hearing things, ooh damn Bongino and Pat Bondy and Cash to tell might be resigning because of the whole Epstein thing. And it's like, wait, first of all, no, they're not. Secondly, the reason why they're pushing under the rug is because Trump is on the list multiple times. The reason why they've changed so hard is because he told them if they don't change their tune, they would lose their job. It's come on now, y'all. But we're talking all these conspiratorial things even on off days. We can't turn this shit off, y'all.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, And speaking on that, I you know, whenever I first saw that, I was like, you know, I know that you gotta be pretty damn tight lipped. Whenever you're in the administration. You can really only say things that like you were allowed to say. You know, it's you. You can never really go outside of your your own boundaries that they have set for you. And yeah, I play ball, or they'll kick you off the ball team. Dude, that's just the way it works.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 2: But does it just turn these people into cooks? You know what I'm saying. It's like you find they probably fought their whole lives to get into these positions just to turn into the people that they were trying to replace and thing, and it's sad.
Speaker 3: It's basically And I had high hopes. I had really high hopes for Cash Hotel and for Dan Bongino. I had really high hopes for them. But either way it goes, as of this moment right now, either a they lied to us a month ago whenever they claimed that they had new evidence, and he killed himself and all these things, and now there's nobody else on the list and it's just him. Either they lied to us then, or they're about to resign because they can't keep up the lie. So either way it goes, they have no moral backbone and I have nothing for them. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So what I was thinking, Either they built up a lie so much that everybody bought into Epstein Island, and there were actors that were saying that that they were being taken advantage of and that rate there would have been the biggest sigh out because you know, Biden wasn't going to do anything about it, and we all had hopes that Trump was gonna be able to, you know, put an end to it and lock up the people. I don't know why we thought that, because back whenever he was battling Hillary, right, Oh, you know, you're you're lucky I'm not president, because you'd be in jail. Whatever happened, never happened. Nothing, never fucking happened, big fat nothing burger. So I mean, and I'm not I know that this isn't gonna be a political episode. It's just this political shit, this political shiit just keeps on stacking, and if you don't keep up with it, it's almost like it's almost like a drama, you know what I mean. It's like you missed one episode. It's like you may as well just bow out for a season.
Speaker 3: It's it's the entire drama of Aduce the theater, that's all it is. We've heard the term paid actors, how about elected actors? Same okay, actors, it's the same shit. But look, it's and I'm sorry we've said this before. You know, that's just the way it is. If you're waiting on a hero, and if you think that there is a good guy that's gonna come riding in on a white horse to save everybody, Listen, we said this before. I'm sorry. There are no good guys to be found here. Okay, that's they're not happening. This is the real world. The good guy very very often loses. And that's not just the way it's gonna play out. What we are left with is which pedophile is going to be better for the economy and keep us out of war more. I'm sorry, I don't want to just crush everyone's soul real quick, but this is just the way it is. Which shitthead paid for by corporate lobbyist bullshit greed okay, who guaranteed they have blackmail on him? And he's a team player because of the blackmail. Otherwise he wouldn't even be on the ballot in the first fucking place. Which pedophile is going to do better for America? Does this negate them being a piece of shit and a pedophile? Absolutely not? And yes, should they see justice, yes absolutely they should? Are they gonna not in this lifetime, homie?
Speaker 2: And that's the thing is that you know, I know a lot of people think that the CIA, and we know that the CIA probably had a lot to do with Epstein Island, but you know who have everything to do with it? You know who else did? Was Massad Mussad? Oh yeah, and yeah, I don't think I think that they, you know, Israel or at least its own secret or its own Central Intelligence agency, they're not going to let that go there. In that, in my opinion, is the reason why Trump kind of bent the knee and helped out Israel with Iran.
Speaker 3: That's what I Listen, It's not just Moussad, and it's not just well, we helped them with Iran because Iran hates us as much as they hate Israel. So I mean that that one. Really, even if we weren't on the best of terms of Israel, that's enemy of my enemy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they changed. Trump changed his tone on that real quick.
Speaker 3: Did he did.
Speaker 2: But listen, it's not just Mussad, and it's not just CIA, and it's not just FBI, and.
Speaker 3: It's not just Inner Pole. It is all of them. Every country had some type of even if it wasn't Epstein Island itself, they have their own version of that, and they're all connected. They all have these corporate shitheads and these lobbying groups and these political figures who they have to find something to blackmail them. They have to find something to have them buy the balls. And if they don't have anything, they will create things. And that's what it's all about. It's not that's the thing. I don't want to just say, Oh, you know, it's Israel and America and cohotes. Dude, it's all of them. There's no good guys here.
Speaker 2: And you don't come back from pedophilia, you know what I'm saying. Like, there's no making amends with the American people or any people of the world if you're in and and look, I get it, like we've we've we've known that Trump was on that list for quite a while.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: We don't know exactly what he did, but one is, it's pretty fucking easy to assume, right, Like I mean, if it fucking walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, we're not gonna sit here and call it a fucking eagle, you know. It's just that's I don't want to jump to those conclusions. But there has to be a reason why that information is not being released.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you gave the description you just did.
Speaker 2: Okay, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, I just listened to the Tim Dillon show.
Speaker 3: Shouts out to him, he's amazing. And this is the situation we have found ourselves in. Okay, you are saying, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck. But you will be called an anti semite and a racist and a homophobe and every other type of bad ooh ah, evil name under the sun, because how do you know it's not a goose? Well wait, wait, wait, time out, it's it's it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck. And okay, it's still a bird. It's still a bird. Okay, what is the deal. It's like, well, why do you just think that somebody be out here playing with a duck call for no reason? If it's not a duck, it could it be a personal a duck call? Why would somebody out be out here with a duck call? It's like, because people do that. It's for hunting, and it's like a thing. It's like, well, you know that's not always true. Have you ever heard of duck dynasty.
Speaker 2: These guys play with duck calls, and some of them are racists, And it's like what, I'm sorry, wait back to the point. It walks like a duck and quacks like a duck. If we're seeing this happen, that's what needs to, you know, be a thing. Well, why don't you go with your racist friends at duck dynasty? You back at and that you're getting like thrown under the bus for just thinking critically for two seconds, and they're drawing every other conclusion they ain't got shit to do with fuck, and they're bringing it all in to make you look like a psychopath when in reality, you just want us to all unanimously acknowledge that what's going down right now is completely fucked up.
Speaker 3: But you're just a beg at.
Speaker 2: I think it's one of three things. It's either Trump is a pedophile and that's why it's being covered up. Trump is covering for his pedophile friends, which is why he would be getting why he would be covering it up. Or three, it was never real to begin with. That's the only options in my mind, Like just thinking critically here what are the reasons you wouldn't want to release that information. I just I'm baffled in my own mind trying to think about it. And you got to boil it down to those three things. And we know for sure one of those three things can't be true. We know that this island existed.
Speaker 3: There are multiple victims that have come forward, there's multiple court cases and being paid off in silenced. There is not just on the island, but even his house in New York. Like going back to the nineties, this shit was going off right, the Lolita Express, the Little Black Book.
Speaker 2: You can actually find the Little Black Book of all the names on archive dot org on the way back machine, and people are looking at it and it looks legit, dude like, and we've actually read a lot of those names in the past, and you know, it wasn't officially released or anything, and I don't know, I mean, it was like somebody anonymously put it up there, but it seems really legit if you look at it.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 3: I just watched I saw this list. I was I went on Instagram to see if our homegirls of the Cryptic Women's Society shouts out to them, if they had message back, and as I open Instagram, there was a list. I think it was like the first probably like two hundred names on Epstein's list, and a lot of things that were redacted from it, but the names themselves were not. These things are coming more and more to light, and so these people are saying that there was no client list, there was a sole actor in this. It's like, okay, so right off the rip, I know you're lying, okay, and not just because of an Instagram post. We have been talking about this for years now. We all know that Epstein's island existed. So one of three options is already down. So either a Trump himself is guilty, or two Trump is guilty of turning a blind eye, which in our opinion makes him equally guilty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's completely at that point, which is I mean, you may as well have just done it, because we're going to look at you the same exact way.
Speaker 3: That being said, I would still rather him be in the White House than Kamala, Like I think we can also acknowledge that two things can be true at the same time. I know I do. Kamala would have made it more of a slave state. Let's look at what she did with her time in California and the fact that she doesn't have brains that actually like works and shit versus Trump, who is like actually trying to make economic changes happen in this country.
Speaker 2: Sure, the same, but look, it's a slippery ass slope to say, I really you would rather a known, possibly known pedophile or somebody who is possibly known to be covering up four pedophiles equally complicit, right, just like like what like we said, so Dia Kamala when she was the Attorney General she covered for pedophiles in California all the time?
Speaker 3: Oh did she? I didn't know that. Oh, it's That's what I'm saying. There's no good guys here, y'all. There's no good guys. They are all equally shit of the same crimes, whether it's corporate greed, child labor laws, sex trafficking. I had a feel travel name your thing, it doesn't matter. They are all of the same shit birds of a shit feather. This is the facts of the matter. So, yes, kerb I would still rather him be in the position than Kamala, But I'm not happy about certain things the same with like, uh, you could have two things be true at the same time, I believe that Israel should exist as a state, and I also think Netan Yahoo's a piece of shit. Two things can be true at the same time, you see what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, for sure, I mean, and we'll see how it plays out. I guess there's been a little bit of momentum because of the pushback of literally everybody on both sides. Everybody on both sides is like, yeah, let the Epstein list come out, Like, let's see who's all involved in it. We've been hearing about it for what five years now, and you know, there's been quote unquote leaks and some rumors and and you know, some people you know, talking and stuff like that, and we all know that. You know, there's some of the people for sure, like Les Wexner of Victoria's Secret and all these all the other ventures that he's in. It's like, but even he never had really anything coming at him. The only two people that have been persecuted one's dead Epstein, who dude, that nothing pissed me off more than for all of them to say, yeah, yeah, he killed himself. I'm like, no, he didn't, Like, come on, no, he didn't. And the same thing with with his life. Old Gis Lane. You know, it's like, what is she in jail? Like she's been like trafficking kids to herself.
Speaker 3: No, if there's no crime that was committed according to the official judiciary narrative right now, if no crime was committed, then why is she still in prison.
Speaker 2: There's there's just no answers, you know, And so they kind of backed themselves into a corner here. And to be honest, I mean, I'm I'm almost like, I like, it hurts me to even say this, but like I think, think I'm just off of the whole Trump train as it goes until this all gets figured out. Like I can't put any more faith in them, And that sucks. Not that I had a whole lot of faith in a president regardless, but I can't sit here and cheer on somebody who is a pedophile or covering for a pedophile. That's I mean, it's the optics of the situation.
Speaker 3: I'm not I'm not cheering them on. I am saying that I like some of the things that he has done thus far, and I don't like certain things that he has also done with this term in office. It's just what it is.
Speaker 2: I mean, what's his fucking name? Tom Hanks can create every single awesome movie known to mankind. I'm not gonna go watch him, right, you know? And I think that we got to treat all pedophiles that way, right, Like we're kind of fucking wrong if we don't.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I agree, but it is what it is, like, of the two options that were up on the ballot, it was about to be Joe Biden, who is equally guilty of all the same shit. And also so the Breezema deal with his son, and also all of the other scandals that took like like it was a bad situation regardless or Trump.
Speaker 2: Which I found it really strange about, you know, because it was a couple of years ago that Ashley Biden's diary leaked, right, yes, and now she's making Instagram posts talking about how what is it her uncle? I think because that's not his daughter. I think it's his niece something like that, either his daughter or his niece. I forget which one. But yeah, talking about like, oh, you know, I make sure that I stay up extra late so that Joe doesn't come in the shower with me. It's like she was saying that as a little girl, dude. And now you'll see her. She's making posts for him, taking pictures of him, talking about how sweet he is and how much he still cares. And it's, you know, Joe Biden's sitting at his desk basically probably you know, taking some Crayola markers and just coloring in a coloring book. And she's like, he's back to work and he's smarter than ever. And I'm like, Ashley, come, I mean, did he get you again? Like a we what are we doing here again? There is no good guys here y'all. And I hate to breathe the one to bear the bad news. There haven't been any since. I would Arguereisenhower, even Howard cover a lot of shit up though too. I mean, you're talking about politicians.
Speaker 3: But he that's my point. Though he was a four star general or five star general actually during World War Two, he was never like slated to be a career politician. I think that we could make a case to say he was probably the last president that actually truly gave a fuck. And I don't believe that he was guilty of pedophilia or any of these things, or these underhanded deals or whatever. I could be wrong. We may do an episode on him one of these days, but as of right now a time of recording, I think he was legit.
Speaker 2: But it was right before JFK. I think, right, yeah, like the one directly before JFK. And I you know, and we've heard, you know, certain things just in regards to aliens and about how you know, Eisenhower was the first one to meet an alien, the first president to meet an alien, and he briefed JFK on it. And I don't know if any of that's true, though I hope it is. Like allegedly, the story goes that Eisenhower had some people come up and say, hey, you know, we need you to meet these beings or whatever, and they like, Eisenhower met him on a golf course.
Speaker 3: Have you heard that story? I've heard about this.
Speaker 2: That's a pretty wild one. Anyway, Look, we're gonna get to recycling. We just had to get all of this off our chest because you're seeing it all transpire over the weekend and it's just like, you know, I hope that it eventually reaches a boiling point and people don't forget. I mean, it's too big to forget. The whole Epstein thing. Just to sweep it under the rug. And you see Trump He's like, are you guys still talking about that?
Speaker 3: Like yeah, but we're still talking about the reporter and yes, I understand we have floods going on. Yes, there's pressing matters that need to get situated. I get that. It also kills me to watch liberals try to blame Trump for the floods. That is fucking hysterical. I forgot. Trump controls the rainfall and is making these Okay, fine, yes, I know they make weather happen. I'll get you on this, But like they're saying that because he cut funding to FEMA, this is what caused rainfall and what caused one hundred to five hundred year flood to happen. It's like big Dolf.
Speaker 2: FEMA was never where the fuck to begin with.
Speaker 3: No, they weren't. But like, sure, anything to throw Trump under the bus. I get that. The reporter stands up and asked about this, and he just gasled him to the world and it's like, okay, wow, bro, But to that point, not a good look from Eisenhower. We had JFK and then Nixon. Okay, so Nixon was a member of Bohemian Grove where we know that pedophilic stuff has happened since they was founded.
Speaker 2: Oh so LBJ was after JFK.
Speaker 3: No, well, LBJ was JFK's VP, so when he got assassinated, LBJ became president. But I mean, like in a free and open election kind of thing, right, Yeah, But my point is Bohemian Grove is just one example. The Democrats have had their version of that for forever. So really there hasn't been a non guilty party. Okay, So yes, George Bush Senior, George Bush Junior, don't even get me started on the Clintons and all their pedophilic shit like Carter name it. They all had their hands and other parts of their bodies in very disgusting things and should be tried and like I would say, assassinated, you know, just throwing it out.
Speaker 2: But I'd love to hear what QAnon's saying about this shit.
Speaker 3: Now, fuck QAnon, Jesus Christ now. But Reagan the same way he was in Hollywood. He was a young guy in Hollywood. We have done how many episodes about what goes on in Hollywood, especially in the sixties and seventies. That's what I'm saying there. There's no innocent parties here, y'all. If their name is on a federal ballot. I hate to be the one to tell you this.
Speaker 2: They didn't get there from being really hard workers and really good freaking guys. It's not a thing. It's not Boston there, it's I don't know.
Speaker 3: I just felt right to go that route. I don't know. But beside the point anyway, put out your JFK there, sir. Yeah, yeah he was. He was a Massachusetts boy for sure. Not Boston, that's for sure. He would never be caught dead by the pores, no way. He would just rather be caught dead in Dallas or you know, tag team of Marilyn Monroe with his brother. Hey, it goes.
Speaker 2: All right, let's hear about recycling. Let's get into it. Yeah, this is something that we have kind of hinted at. We talked a little bit about it on the Live show. To be honest, I never knew that there was any shit with recycling. I just always assumed that it was a good and pure and honest thing.
Speaker 3: But you know, and.
Speaker 5: That's that's the thing, is that anytime it seems too perfect on the surface, it's like, don't look into goodwill don't look in the Salvation army like I promise you, it'll break your heart.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent. Brother. And so let's talk about recycling real quick. And it's okay if you don't know the answers to this, because I promise you and most of our listeners don't. I didn't know the answers to this, these questions I'm about to ask until I started doing the research. So let's learn to get the good cult members.
Speaker 2: I'm also gonna make sure that you'll know that this is going to be an episode where we have articles, we do have videos, and if you would like to see what we are talking about rather than just hear about it through your ear holes.
Speaker 3: Jonathan, where can they go?
Speaker 2: They can go to Patreon dot com slash Cult of Conspiracy Podcast. That link is down in the show notes below. It's the best way to be able to support us. You get the shows a couple of days in advance. You get to see all the video and all the articles. As Jacob said, you'll be able to slide into our dms. Maybe you have a show suggestion or a guest suggestion, or maybe you just want to ask Jacob what kind of beard oil he's using. You can ask all of that. You can also sign up for the Third Eye all the way open to here that will give you access to come join us every Tuesday night at nine pm Central. But probably the main reason why you come over to Patreon, let's just be real, it's because it's absolutely commercial.
Speaker 3: Yeah, buddy, we know them.
Speaker 2: Them had to be a pain in the dick, so you know, kick that dick and come over to Patreon.
Speaker 3: That's right, all right. Now that being said, I'm going to share the screen here in a moment, But before I do, where do you think recycling started? At least in America?
Speaker 2: You mean? Or what place?
Speaker 3: Let's see who do you think created it? Let's start off with the basics, right, Greenpeace, the hippies, political groups, international groups. Maybe where do you where do you think? Just go under your head answer where do you think the recycling came from? Hmmm?
Speaker 2: I would I'm just going to assume that it was a democratic.
Speaker 3: Thing, like from the Democratic Party.
Speaker 2: You mean, I mean that's where the KKK came from?
Speaker 3: True, very true.
Speaker 2: And if there's a lot of bullshit with recycling, and it's not to say that one party is any better than the other. Let's just be real, but there's a lot of shit that comes from the blue, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Very true? Okay, so you're you're the belief that it came from a political party or political lobbiest group, something along these lines.
Speaker 2: Probably. Yeah, I don't even know where to begin as far as like, what were the grassroots beginnings to recycling?
Speaker 3: Okay, well, let's get into it here. Do you remember the Crying Indian ad?
Speaker 5: I do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we played that the keep America Beautiful quote unquote a public service announcement. Was the first time that what we might now call recycling was actually introduced. Okay, and if you haven't seen it, I'm gonna go ahead and play it right now. So once again, if you would like to see what we are talking about, Patreon would be the place to go.
Speaker 2: Man, it's only in the eighties or nineties that came on.
Speaker 3: This was in the seventies. Damn that far back. Yeah, so the Crying Indian commercial and some of our more seasoned listeners may remember seeing this on their color TVs in their living room. Some of our cult members that have been here for a minute has probably seen us play this ad before. But just for any of the newer cult members, or maybe this is your first time ever listening to us. Yes, if we piss you off with our political rantings at the beginning of this, my bad, but we kind of go all over here. Our add brains are what is the show? Okay? So anyway, so here it is the Crying Indian ad, the PSA that started the recycling industry.
Speaker 1: Some people have a deep, abiding respect for the natural beauty that was once this country, and some people don't.
Speaker 3: People stop collution. People can stop it. Okay. Now, for anybody who doesn't know the guy, the Indian himself, we're going to talk about him. He's not Native. He's actually a Sicilian dude. But like you know, the commercial was to push a fake narrative, and it makes sense they would use a fake Native American for this purpose.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that sounds about right. Yeah he didn't really. I mean, take away the feather and the long hair and the garb and everything that he's wearing. You can tell by his face he's not Native American at all.
Speaker 3: No, dude, not even a little bit. So now let's learn the shocking truth behind the Crying Indian commercial. This is a ranker article. Let's get into it.
Speaker 2: Even if you weren't watching television in the nineteen seventies, you heard about the Crying Indian commercial. A Native American man in traditional garb canoes canoes through a trash filled river, pass factories, and along crowded highways, all while a narrator bemoans the deterioration of the natural world. The commercial ends with a zoom in on the man's face as a tear rolls down his right cheek. This visually striking scene has become synonymous with environmental activism and personal responsibility when it comes to tackling pollution. The Crying Indian commercial was developed by the nonprofit Keep America Beautiful or CAB, with a stated mission in quotes to inspire and educate people to take action every day to improve and beautify their community environment. The Crying Indian PSA was part of a larger decades long collaboration between CAB and the Ad Council, founded in nineteen forty one to work with advertising groups on public service campaigns designed to stimulate the commedy economy by promoting business during World War Two. Why was CAB or what was it called?
Speaker 3: Again?
Speaker 2: The America Beautiful? But for lack of you know, for the brevity of it.
Speaker 3: Just so everyone knows when we say CAB for the rest of this article, it's KAB. Keep America Beautiful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're not talking about electro Nick's boy, you know what I mean. Why was CAB working with an industry focused organization like the AD Council to raise awareness about environmental concerns. The truth is CABS founders were not as invested in anti pollution activism as their campaign indicated, and their real motivation was to deflect responsibility for reducing waste from corporate interest and onto people. The Crying Indian is just the tip of the iceberg. They missed the They missed the mark there. They could have said tip of the spear. They could have That would have been too good. The Crying Indian is just the tip of the iceberg. That represents CAB's marketing output and initiatives, which spanned from its inception in the nineteen fifties to the present.
Speaker 3: Now let's learn more about this. Keep America Beautiful was founded in nineteen fifty three by the packing and beverage industry. Now, what do we mean by package and beverage? For the record, yes, the ten cans, coke cans, and glass bottles and all of this, but not just them packing industry as far as packaging goods to travel and transport from point A to point B, everything from cardboard boxes to big plastic toats full of chemicals. On this website, CAB says it all. It was formed in nineteen fifty three when a group of corporate and civic leaders met in New York City to bring the public and private sectors together to develop and promote a national cleanliness ethic. These corporate and civil leaders quote unquote were members of wealthy packaging and beverage companies including American Can Company, Owen's, Illinois Glass Company, Coca Cola, and Dixie Cup. Unable to deny the products they manufactured were contributing to litter and waste build up across the country, they decided to tackle the problem by pointing fingers at people buying and using their products. Through its efforts, cawboying to make the public believe it was their responsibility to dispose of these products correctly, not the responsibility of the companies to be more focused on sustainable practices. These packaging industry spokes people also justified their stance by claiming it's what consumers wanted. They preferred the convenience of reusable over the hassible of refillables.
Speaker 2: Unreal and so always everybody else's dude, that's a gas light and shit right there. You know, Yes, it's not a hard problem. We're just making it. We're not the ones that are throwing it out, which I mean, to be honest, I'm not gonna say that they're zero percent, right. I mean, we have to take some responsibility as well and learn how to throw shit in trash and all that. But let's just be real, dude. I mean, this is something that they could have done from the very beginning, created you know, sustainable products that maybe nature would take over or something like that. You know, because they have like certain cardboards now that like if it gets thrown out or if it gets you know, littered somewhere, that the forest will just take it back right.
Speaker 3: Right, but keep them with papers and cardboards for the most part, are biodegradable, right, And yes, a stack of them will take forever to decompose, but you can process them and make them easier for the earth to reabsorb kind of thing. And I get this, but you understand. I think back in the day of the fifties when this was popping off here, the milkman would come to your house with a six pack of glass milk bottles and you would drink them, and he would take the empties and he would go back to the dairy and refill them and then bring them back to you. This was a cultural thing in America that went by the wayside in favor of one time, single use milk jugs that you would buy from the store. And they use this whole convenience thing to make that. So you realize that Coca Cola could have done something very similar. Yes they have glass coke bottles, and yes those are recyclable, but they chose to go more in the realm of plastic. And I should also get that distinction here. The main bad guy in the recycling world is plastics. Okay, And we're gonna talk about all these things more in depth, I promise you. But I'm not saying that recycling in and of itself one hundred percent is bullshit. Most glass products and most metal products are one hundred percent recyclable. Yeah, and it's very easy. You could take you an aluminum can smelt it down, re pour it into a mold, and you have another can. It is a thing. Yes, it might be a little expended to you know, melt it and do all these things, but it's not like this is going into the earth. Glass. Very similarly, if you go to buy a Mexican coke from your local Mexican restaurant, if you look, you could actually probably peel back the label on the Coca cola and see that it at one time was a phantom bottle or a sprite bottle, or even a pepsi It doesn't matter. They can actually recycle glass, and a lot of places will do very successfully. The big bad guy that's hurting the earth is plastics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's some wine companies do that too, they kind of recycle old wine bottles and stuff like that. Yeah, I was gonna say. What's funny is is that this was all put on by the AD Council. And so if you if you have been following us for a few years, you'll know that the AD Council was definitely complicit in all of the pushing of dairy products, right like, and we did a whole show on that a few years ago, and so and also think about what the AD Council is doing now. I mean, how many billboards are reminding you that vaping is horrible and it's even worse than smoking cigarettes. And I'm like, you know, I'm not here to say that vaping is good for anybody, but I can help but to think that they're they're not worried about your health and they're more concerned about lining the pockets a big tobacco.
Speaker 3: Right, one hundred percent, Like, there's not I know this is going to be a controversial hot take. Do your research on it. There is no independent lab study independent should throw that word out big bold and underlined, no independent lab study that can verify that vaping is less or is more harmful than smoking tobacco. As a matter of fact, all independent lab studies show that it is substantially better than it's still bad for you. I'm not denying that there is still you're doing harm to your body. It's basically, yeah, but it's vegetable glycerine. It's it's you know, I wanted to say season, but it's it's basically, you know, I mean, it's.
Speaker 2: Candy flavorings, vegetable glycol which is a more refined version of vegetable oil, and nicotine, which is not harmful.
Speaker 3: That's it. Those are the three things.
Speaker 2: Right right, And a lot of the vape stores they they make it in how and you can see exactly what products they're using. And so I'm again, I'm not trying to sit here and say that vaping is good for anybody. I mean, I would love nothing more than to quit vaping, and I've tried it. It's just Nicotine's a motherfucker, dude. But you know, it's it's just the things that they push are never sincere, they're never genuine. They always have you know, an ace up the sleeve, and you know, and that's the crazy thing. It's like where was all this pushback, you know, trying to get the tobacco industries out of here, But as soon as vaping rolls around, it's it's all of a sudden, a huge issue, like why haven't all of these different vaping companies that have like gotten kicked to the kick to the curb jewel I think was the first one, and you know, because they were making all those different flavors and who the fuck smoke's a jewel anymore? You know, they still got them around, but and the same thing. Dude, you can't get geek bar anymore. Do you know that I just bought one in Arizona there that's gonna be one of the last ones you'll ever buy.
Speaker 3: Really Yep, damn, I mean it's But that's my point.
Speaker 2: It's all being done by lobby groups, by ad councils and the it's not there's no actual things to back this claim.
Speaker 3: But to get back to it, right, You ever seen the show mad Men? Oh yeah, John Ham, Dude, he's the man. You remember that scene where they go on a picnic and they just like dump their trash in the middle of the park and dip out. Yep, that was kind of a cultural thing, not just for like rich swanky Americans. Pretty much everybody just dump their trash wherever they want and said fuck it, the same way that India still does it to this day. But besides, we're gonna get to the other countries and all that in a minute. My point is that they wanted to make it a you problem. It's your fault that the earth is dying, not us making five hundred tons of plastic single use bottles that can't be decomposed or recycled. It is your fault for buying them, and that was what this push was about. So then how did they start this process. They had to pull on the heart strings kind of make people feel guilty, right, but they had to give them a virtuous way out into recycling. We're gonna get to it all. Let's keep going here the crying Indian commercial and you.
Speaker 2: Know what, just to add on top of that too. I feel like they it seems like a foreign concept that you would just be able to refill your your coke bottle or whatever. But it's really not that crazy. Whenever you think about other things that we are regularly refilling and not getting a new one of every single time, like things right your gas tank for example. Think about like if you have a Tesla, you're getting that same battery charged every single time, and especially nowadays, everybody's getting the Stanley cubs or or whatever. Like why can't there be some kind of some kind of code or something that's that you you just buy a sticker or something like that and you go get it refilled somewhere or something along those lines, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: No, one hundred percent, how many of these places have those? Like really as coke machines where you go and you select the type of coke, and hell, there's like eight different flavorings you could do, right, and it's like a food you know, restaurants and things like that. But we also have those you you do your own Mountain do at the house, right, you do your own bubbly Yeah. And the little carbonated.
Speaker 2: Water thing soda stream Yeah, okay, you understand that it is a real thing that we could have where you would have a reusable, refillable bottle and you would go up to instead of a coke machine to buy a twelve ounce coke, you would just go to the machine, pay your money and refill your reusable bottle. That could have been a thing that we had, but they chose to only offer these non recyclable options.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And that's the thing with those those soda streams. I mean, we don't have any connection to them, but I fucking love that company.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: And all you do, you just refill your co two whenever it runs out, and you get some of the whatever your favorite pop is. Yes, I said pop. I'm gonna always call it pop. And you know, you just get the syrup mix it in there.
Speaker 3: Dude.
Speaker 2: And it's way fresher than any other drink that you'll ever get at the store.
Speaker 3: Too.
Speaker 2: You're getting it literally freshly carbonated. It's the best way.
Speaker 3: That's my point. All you would need is the same like the Coca Cola guy that comes and refills the machines there there. It could have been a version of this world where he would come and refill the syrup and the co two tank and that would be it. It's the same infrastructure, the same logistics of moving things from the Coca Cola bottling company and manufacturing company to the machines for the consumers to buy. It's the same thing. They chose to do it this way. We will talk about why later on, I promise you. Because it's it all comes down to the money, dude. It all comes down to the dollar and cents of it all. But anyway, so in the fifties and sixties, the litter problem got to be really bad, right, and it wasn't just a thing that they really cared about making America clean and keep America beautiful in all this, but they had to start the keep America Beautiful ad campaign. The Crying Indian was.
Speaker 2: The first commercial, the first like real initiative taken by CAB. Oh yeah, he was the Captain America for recycling bro.
Speaker 3: And of course Cabin Marshall on Earth Day nineteen seventy one.
Speaker 2: So the first Earth Day was organized in nineteen seventy a sign of consciousness, of a consciousness shift for the American public, especially among youth. CAB corporates interests watch fearfully as students organize demonstrations against soft drink companies in the weeks around Earth Day on April twenty second. These companies were so concerned about demonstrations that FBI agents were posted at plants and factories all over the country to monitor in quotes, radicals during process radical recyclers. That's crazy, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, to be fair, we do have like green peace and shit to like try to start fights with fishing boats. So like, environmental radicals are absolutely a thing. They have been for a while, so all right.
Speaker 2: Well and especially during you know the seventies, that's hippie time right there. So yeah, by the next Earth Day, CAB in conjunction conjunction with the ad Council was ready with the crying Indian commercial. They adopted a symbol of the counterculture as well as the growing Native American resistance to blend their message and messaging into the movement. The public, unaware of the interest groups financially backing the commercial, saw it as an effective public service announcement. It was so popular that TV stations wore through their video recordings of the commercial, often requesting additional copies from the ad Council.
Speaker 3: Damn absolutely, dude. Now. The commercial was part of a campaign designed to tap into the new environmental movement's focus on pollution. The Crying Indian commercial pointed to a larger messaging shift with CAB within cab rather, it's a Its non corporate sponsors were pushing to change its focus from the litter and pollution or sorry, it was from litter quote unquote to pollution quote unquote. They had to change the wording, they had to change the verbiage. We've seen lobbying groups and politicians do this exact same thing in our modern day and age. Are we not so? Even back in nineteen seventy one, they said, it's not litter, you're polluting the earth. You're not littering the streets of your town, you're polluting the globe. How dare you?
Speaker 2: I would say that the factories are the polluting and the litter. I mean, I mean, you see littering all the time. People litter, but I wouldn't call that fucking polluting. That's weird to make that shift like that, But the.
Speaker 3: Keep America Beautiful campaign wanted every person that's throwing a cigarette butt out of their car to know that they are polluting with this. By the late sixties, pollution was a major problem in American cities, from pervasive smog to oil spills to rivers catching on fire. The decade ended on a dismissal note, as activists began and emphasizing the role corporations were playing in perpetuating pollution. Cab knew it needed to change its narrative. The ad Cancel AD Council rather hired a new agency, Marstellar, to design the Crying Indian campaign. Marsteller is also one of these ad groups that like when you look into certain symbolism and how it plays on the American psyche and you want to talk about like ancient occult knowledge that they know and that's why they interject in commercials. That's one of the groups. There's a lot of them. There's a lot of ad agencies out there, but Marsteller is one of the ones that like was really hot and heavy with it back in the day.
Speaker 2: Oh dude. And that's the thing. Even with like especially ad agencies, I'm sure they know about, you know, how to manipulate symbolism and play to the subconscious like animalistic part of your brain that remembers you know what I mean, Like, there's something just so inherently evil about manipulating the mind of the people that don't even know that that kind of shit exists.
Speaker 3: Absolutely correct, and they've been doing this for a very long time. By the way, it didn't the manipulation of people's minds by advertisements that didn't start in this timeframe. I mean. Fuck, there's ancient rome used to do a very similar version of like logos and marketing, and they would say, like, only the real Romans eat bread from this bakery.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, it definitely goes all the way back. It's just the first thing has changed. And I would actually say that it's gotten even better. I mean, if it wasn't so evil, it's gotten way better as far as it being able to just slide it right on past your psyche and into your subconscious right.
Speaker 3: Anyway, back to the point here, they were hoping to tap into feelings of exasperation over the environmental crisis while continuing to divert attention away from industry. The vice president of Marstellar at the time told the AD Council is a direct quote, the problem was the attitude and the thinking of individual Americans. They considered everyone else but themselves as polluters. Also, the never correlated pollution with litter. The mindset of the public had to be overcome. The objective of the advertising, therefore, would be to show that polluters are people, no matter where they are in industry or on a picnic. With the crying Indian commercial cab was able to drive home the idea that individuals are the source of the emerging environmental catastrophes. As the commercial ends, focusing in on the tear on the man's face, a narrator sadly announces, people start pollution, people can stop it. Oh my god, right, Yes, it had to make you feel bad. How dare you litter and pollute the earth? And granted, yes, there is something to be said for that, I can agree. Throwing out a styropham plate of food at this dude's feet and all that which was done on purpose as a part of the thing that is not a good thing. You shouldn't be littering. It doesn't turn form pollution. And we can agree on that. But that wasn't the thing saying that people are causing a drop in the bucket. It was a thing saying that people were causing the main problem. Bro.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but look at what you're making available, you know, Like it's like we're we're we we think the same on certain things, like, for example, we think that all drugs should be legal, all of them. Like, look, if people are people are gonna do it one way or another, whether you make it illegal or not. I mean, let that person decide what they want to do with their life. Nobody has an issue with somebody drinking themselves to death, but right, and nobody has an issue with somebody sitting at home eating candy and chips and soda and all this other shit, you.
Speaker 3: Know, becoming morbidly obese and becoming a hassle and a hindrance on every person in their life.
Speaker 2: Oh well, that's just their personal choice. How dare you fat shame them? That's what I'm saying. And so so I think that if you give you got to give people the option. But also conversely with that, whenever you do give people the option, it's like in this can and probably will go south. That's when you acknowledge this. That's what I'm trying to say. Yeah, it can and it will go south. You got to if you're the government, remember like, and it just stated right there that we have to change the mindset of the American people. Remember what government means, you know, it means to control the mind. That's all thereafter And and I kind of I mean, I would say that's mostly what their job is.
Speaker 3: I want to break down the word government. But it's not actually to control the mind. It's to control the foundation on which a principle is a long story short. Yes, I'm with you. The ad campaigns and the ad councils and especially the crying Indian commercial. It was a guilt trip, that's all it ever was. And the dude in charge of the marsh Stellar Ad Council literally just told us this.
Speaker 2: Wait, are you saying that government doesn't equal governed mind? Control? Control? Mint is mine? That's not you're saying the mint incorrect.
Speaker 3: Mint does not always mean mind. That's like saying establish mint. So it's the mind of what was established. No, it's a foundation on which it was founded upon. It's it depends on the context of the word. The etymology can mean different things. That's all I'm saying, And we don't need to spend a whole bunch of time on that. We could talk about that later. But what I'm saying is that, yes, the government in this case, the lobbying groups. See the ad Council, y'all, is a lobbying group, and it is also used by lobbying groups to push certain narratives to change public opinion to where they don't have to make corporate CEOs change their mind. They need to get the public to change the mind and change the culture to where the CEO is way removed from what's actually happening on the ground. This is the slide of hand.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, that's what I'm That's basically what I'm trying to get to is that the people that should be held liable are pushing it down to basically its own consumers, you know, And that's very slight of handish.
Speaker 3: Very much so. And even to further the sleight of hand in the bullshit here, like we brought up earlier. Let's learn a little more here. The actor who starred in the commercial, Ironized Cody, as he was later confirmed or his stage name, was an Italian American, not even a Native American. They couldn't have even hired an actual Indian to play the role of the Indian man.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, they don't need to be paying anybody at the res it's bullshit.
Speaker 3: So yeah, a Sicilian guy who has a better shot of being cast in a Mafia movie was the guy they chose for this. Let's keep going.
Speaker 2: Adding to the campaign's artifice is the fact that the actor who played the crying Indian was in fact an Italian American born Espera Oscar Oscar de Cordi, and establish Hollywood actor who portrayed Native Americans in westerns DA Cordi adopted the name Ironized Cody. I don't know if there's ever going to be an Ironized Cody, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: That's like, that's the most ridiculous name.
Speaker 2: That's like sure, that's like flying Eagle Jessica, Like that's just never going to work, you know, right, I forgot old Thunderbird Abigail over here. My bad like, what, oh so, anyhow ironized Cody? He wore a wig and don native American costuming. D Cordy passed in quotes as Native American on and off the screen, appearing in public as Ironized Cody. The use of a native a non native actor shows that CAP did not care about investing in the truth. It was interested in using the visual symbol of a crying Native American man to protect its interest. Even the tear on de Courdy's cheek was fake, of course it was. The effect was created with the help of glycerin.
Speaker 3: And mentioned right here. This is a picture of him next to old Jimmy Carter in the Oval office. Again, there's no good guys to be found anywhere, y'all. I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: That's literally like a perfect picture of two birds of the literal same shit feather.
Speaker 3: And Okay, you know what, I think that the whole appropriate cultural appropriation typically is really stupid. Okay, Like how your little kid wants to dresses Mwana for Halloween this year? Okay, but how dare you appropriate Polynesian culture? Shut up, shut up? Okay, that's stupid. Let the kids have fun. But this I get if a Native American tribe wanted to sue the Dcordi family for their relative making money off of cultural appropriation and all, like, yo, okay, we can have this conversation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's that's only right. I mean, think about it. For example, Let's say you up and up your own convenience store, right, and you want to start printing your own products because by printing your own products, you don't want to have to pay that company a little percentage for using their logos or their symbols or whatever.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: But let's say you, you know, for some reason, you want to create your your own Captain America. But this is Jacob's Convenience store, and so it's not going to be a Marvel Captain America. It's going to be your Captain America. Marvel has every right to come for that ass right, every single right. And the same thing goes here like that, that is absolutely a slap in the face. I would say, I agree, right, And yes, although the message was sent and like it was heartfelt by the American people and all of these things, bro, there are thousands of Native Americans that would have absolutely done that role, like without a shadow of a doubt.
Speaker 3: Because anything to make the white man feel guilty. They would have been on board. They probably would have done for fucking free. But sure, let's hire the Sicilian guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, in nineteen sixty, CAB partnered with the AD Counsel to career a national beautification campaign. Yes, indeed, interesting, all right, So the partnership between the AD Council and CAB started in nineteen sixty. The AD Council managed several successful public marketing campaigns in the decades leading up to this collaboration, and the advertising companies commissioned to work with CAB on their behalf developed an accusatory language to push the litter problem into public discourse. During this summer and fall, all media will participate in an accelerated campaign to help curb the massive defacement of the nation by thoughtless and careless people, wrote David Beard in nineteen sixty one, advertising director of Reynolds Metal Company. That's hilarious and a CAB member over that, and.
Speaker 3: By Reynolds, for the record, we do in fact mean Reynolds rap as an aluminum foil.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, all right.
Speaker 3: Yes, big time, big dude CEO. And we should also mention that he was a member of CAB.
Speaker 2: Of course he was so. Over the next few years, Yard's comments escalated, as he told newspapers in nineteen sixty three in quotes, the litter bugs are on the loose, and we're counting on you to take up arms against them.
Speaker 3: M f Absolutely, they're trying to make this like a smoke of the bear. Only you can prevent forest fires thing, which like, okay, I don't want more forest fires, but they wanted that same energy to be the war against the litterbugs.
Speaker 2: What's the I can never remember it. What's the name of the drug that the Chinese are pushing across the Mexican border?
Speaker 3: Fentanyl?
Speaker 2: Fentanyl? Right, That's like if I became a fentanyl dealer, right, and I'm pushing it to everybody. I'm like, yo, forget about heroin, forget about.
Speaker 3: Math, forget about this.
Speaker 2: You need this, right, And then walking down the streets and saying, my god, these people are overdosing on fentanyl. What a bunch of morons. It's like, you're the one that fucking gave it to him.
Speaker 3: Ah, one hundred percent. Well that's a conversation for the war on drugs, which we have done an episode about. But I'm with you one hundred percent it, bro.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so let's see. At the same time, the AD Council created its first mascot, a young girl in a white dress named Susan Spotless. She first appeared in nineteen sixty four, expressing shock over the refuse over the refuse her parents discarded in public places, in essence, pointing her finger at the outside world for contributing to the mess. Through this narrative, the AD Council made littering a family affair, using guilt to target audiences. Daddy, you forgot every litter Every litter bit hurts, Susan warned in one ad. Every litter bit hurts became one of the most popular slogans of the era.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they had their own. Uh what's that chick? How dare you? Was that?
Speaker 2: Oh shit, Greta thumber To Thumberg.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah. So just so everybody's clear, Greta Thunberg was also created. Now I'm gonna say created by her parents. I don't mean like they fucked and had a kid about it, like okay, No, I'm saying her being this poster child for you took my future. How thank you? Yeah, I'm saying it like that because she's you know, retarded, but anyway, so she was created by her parents to be the fucking face of this movement, the exact same way that Susan Spotless was created in nineteen sixty four. It's literally a RNSOM repeat. There's nothing new under the.
Speaker 2: Sun, nothing ever new. It's just taken it. It's taken mister coach Clin's playbook and calling it your plays is really what's going on.
Speaker 3: That's it, dude. Now. The Beautifications campaign's purpose was to make glittering an individual not corporate problem. Okay. The efforts of CAB and the AD Council paid off. While the public assumed responsibility for the waste piling up, The packaging industry watched as sales of disposable containers skyrocketed three percent in nineteen sixty jumped to twelve percent of total container sales in nineteen sixty six. The rates continued to spike from there. So never mind the fact that what they were buying was really the cause of the problem, they just kept buying more, okay. Framing the litter problem as disrespectful to the American landscape and calling those who don't clean up after themselves litter bugs allowed these industries to evade responsibility for the roles they played in the manufacture of disposable containers. Is a direct quote here. This is from the ad the campaign manager David Hart after a nineteen sixty seven CAB meeting. Direct quote here. There seemed to be a mutual agreement that our soft cell quote unquote used in previous years could now be replaced by a more emphatic approach to the problem. By saying that those who litter are slobs. Oh, CAB was, Oh yeah, they shifted the entire narrative and they got the culture on it. Now you get looked at like a psycho for littering, which again I'm not saying that littering is good, but I'm saying instead of just kind of seeing it and be like that fucking guy and walking away, they were making it like a war on the litter bugs.
Speaker 2: That's like somebody wearing a mask hat and everybody else who is anti MAGA, assuming that that person wearing the MAGA hat is a racist, bigoted pedophile.
Speaker 3: Yes, same thing, one hundred percent. CAB was careful to keep the bottles and cans produced by its sponsors out of ad council campaigns, which continued to use children to evoke emotional responses and viewers. Another direct quote here. Litter is not pretty, litter is not healthy, litter is not clean, litter is not American. Yeah, that's how they rolled it. Man and the people bought it hook line and sinker. A year after CAB was founded, Vermont banned non reusable beverage containers in nineteen fifty three. Vermont became the first state to ban non reusable beverages. Single use packaging was in its infancy, and the industry is responsible for it anticipated monumental profits from phasing out reusable containers. These same companies came together to form CAB a few months after Vermont's law was passed. See, they are already could see the writing on the walls, and they thought that there would be some do gooders out there who actually care, that would make it to where you can't use you know, these these single use bottles. So they wanted to get ahead of it and shift the narrative.
Speaker 2: You know, it's funny too, And I brought it up, you know, a couple of shows ago. But I was I had heard somebody made mention about how uh because we've always heard that you're not supposed to refill your water bottles. Like let's say you got a Dasani or Aquafina or Walmart water bottle or whatever, you're not supposed to reuse them because there's going to be extra plastic in there that you're that you're taking out. And it's like, dude, that's literally the fucking the the the water companies and the coke companies and all of them saying like, yeah, don't refill it because they want you to continue buying more water. If you buy a twenty four pack of Dasani or whatever, and whenever you're done, you refill it with your sink water or with whatever your filtered water situation is, and you just put it back in there. Well, that's going to be losing the the company's more money, so of course they're going to say that refilling the recyclable or disposable water bottle is worse for you, right, Like, it's all fucking manipulation.
Speaker 3: So we're gonna give this. I'm with you right now. Let's do a little thought experiment. You and I right now and all the good cult members listening, do this on your own, Okay, Let's say you grab Adasani water bottle, okay, and you drink the contents of said water bottle, and then you refill it, and you are of the belief that refilling it is somehow going to leach harmful chemicals from the plastic to your body, and so that's why they tell you not to reuse it. Okay. How long do you think it was that that bottle of water that you just drank was in that bottle from the manufacturing facility onto a pallette or into a case, then onto a pallet, then into the back of an eighteen willer to the store where you bought it. Who knows how long it was in the back, how long was on the shelf? How long all of these things, and then for you to drink it. Do you think somehow that that was a week a day or do you think it probably was more like six months time? Okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, and then you also got the sun beaten down on them too. If they're sitting outside.
Speaker 3: Exactly now, the chemicals that were leached from the plastic to the water you just drink them that they have gotten way more leached in the weeks building up to you cracking that bottle open. Well, it was sealed. That's not what I just said. It was sealed within plastic, which we're gonna talk about a theory to have on plastic in a bit. But beside the point you refilling it and then drinking it right behind that, we're talking about a hangtime here of a day or two in a plastic bottle as opposed to a hangtime of weeks in that same bottle. I'm sorry, that's fucking retarded.
Speaker 2: And it's probably better for you to buy a bottle of aquafina if you're going that route. I mean, I know a lot of people aren't drinking you know, water from plastic bottles anymore. You probably should if you can't, or if you can, right, but if you do, it's probably better for you to like literally take that fucking bottle, open it up, dump it on the ground, and refill it with hose water. It's probably safer for you. I am personally of the belief that you just said correct things. And also that's just me, and also Dasani. Nobody should ever be drinking Dasani. Just to let you know, it is a Coca Cola company, and the reason, dude, they do a lot of crazy shit to that water. So one they add a lot of salt. So do you keep on wanting to drink more and more and more, And yeah, we need our electrolytes and we need our salts and everything. But that's not the reason they do it. That's almost like you know, your public water saying that we put fluoride in your water to help your teeth. That's not the reason, you know, it's they don't give a fuck about your health. And the same thing goes with why they're putting salt in it. It's one to preserve and also and it'll also help like you know, get rid of any kind of mold or whatever that may develop in there or whatever over the course of time. But it's like it's it's it's causing you to want to go back and drink and drink and drink more. It's wanting to turn you into a return customer more often by adding more salt to the water. So Dsani, by and large, is one of the worst waters that you can buy.
Speaker 3: Well, I agree, but also keep in mind smart water, it's still a plastic bottle aquafina, uh name. It doesn't matter all of them. Kent would all of these, even the natural spring water bottles that you're buying in a disposable, single use plastic bottle, it's all pretty much the same thing. They're using the exact same type of plastic. And although well, this water was from a spring, this water was from a distillation unit. That's why it's smart water. It's like from the clouds. It's H two. Oh is h two? Oh is H two? Oh Okay, I'm very sorry to be the one to be to break the news to y'all. If it's from a single use plastic bottle, it's not good for you regardless, But we're gonna get you.
Speaker 2: I mean, And what's that death water that you like? What's that one with liquid death? Okay, that's out of an aluminum can.
Speaker 3: Probably those are recyclable, right and so okay, Like, if you're gonna go that route, drink those, but those are still single use. Meanwhile, you can buy a water filter at your house and get gallons of the shit. Oh it's just me.
Speaker 2: I mean, and I know that the water filters. I have two of those Britta like gallon tanks and it's not the best. I mean, you could always do better.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: People talk about the there's this one filter it's called the Murky Water filter or something like that, that is said to get rid of all of the chemicals, including the floor ride. But you know, not everybody has an extra fucking twenty five hundred dollars to install a filtration system. So you gotta do what you gotta do.
Speaker 3: But understand that bottles are just the tip of the iceberg. How many things do we buy that are in plastic wrapping or even at the store. You're buying your own groceries.
Speaker 2: Most things those things meet. You're going to buy meat from your local butcher, you're still giving it on a styrofoam plate wrapped in cell a phane.
Speaker 3: It's plastic on plastic. So it's not just the bottles. Don't think we're just sitting on the Coca Cola and bottling industries, although they are a really big culprit. There are so many different avenues to go down here. We are literally just at the tip of this iceberg. But back to the whole conversation here.
Speaker 2: So you want to jump back into reading, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll take it on this one. So, like I said, Vermont was the first state to outlaw non reusable water bottles, and they didn't want that. They wanted reuse or they wanted single use bottles to be the way they needed this to be because it was better for them for profit margins. So they had to get ahead of this, which is why they started the entire ad agency in the first place to lobby against this shit. Afraid the train would spread to other states, executives from CAV got to work defining their new nonprofit as a beautification organization, aiming to educate the masses about how to clean up all the trash around them. Behind the scenes, CAB members squashed bills that sought to eliminate single use products. They succeeded, and four years later Vermont's law lapsed. As the plastics industry grew and merged with the beverage and manufacturing world in the mid nineteen fifties, the chance to capitalize off the mounds of non biodegradable refuse began scattering or scattered around the planet became more and more alluring. At a plastics conference around this time, one speaker looked out at the audience and proclaimed, your future is in the garbage wagon.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: A plastics conference said that your future is in the garbage wagon, basically saying that if we want to continue making that money, we need to get heavily involved with plastics and we're going to talk about why that's more economical than recycling later, which is crazy at the fact that they knew that recycling was not like scalable and they still ran with it. Anyway, to continue the narrative, we're going to get to it all.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, they want the public to be seen as the sinners essentially, so that they are not being looked at as the people who are essentially the root cause of everything, of all this pollution and everything. So yeah, So when state legislators began pushing bottle bills in the early nineteen seventies, CAB publicly opposed them. In nineteen seventy two, Oregon and Vermont passed bottle bills, which incentivize consumers to return their bottles to recycling centers by providing a five cent return per item. When California began moving toward its own bottle bill in nineteen seventy four, CAB decided to publicly oppose these measures. After a story leaked about American Can Company chairman William F. May calling bottle bill supporters communists at it's always somebody calling somebody a communist.
Speaker 3: Oh dude, during the Cold War, that was that was a cuss. To call someone a kami is basically saying that you're not even human, because I still believe that commies aren't humans actually, but neither here nor.
Speaker 2: There anyhow, So he called the bottle bill supporters communists At a CAB Board of Directors meeting in nineteen seventy six, the Environmental Protection Agency or the EPA, and seven environmental groups left the CAB non Corporate Advisory Board. That November, bottle bills passed in Michigan and Maine. Even though ten states in total were able to pass bottle bills that are active to this day, CAB still achieved its goal of directing the conversation away from whether or not disposables were good for the public to begin with. CAB continues to oppose bottle bill efforts, and it invested fourteen million dollars between nineteen eighty nine and nineteen ninety four to defeat the National bottle Bill.
Speaker 3: So, if you ever look at one of your cans right just throwing out it's a bottle bill, but it also goes for other recycles, there will be a list of cities or states, I should say, where you can recycle it for a certain amount of money, usually five cents, ten cents, whatever the case is. There's a reason why there's only certain states where that's actually a thing, and why most states just send it to the landfill regardless, or to other places that we will get into. But yeah, that was all done by a lobbying group and an ad campaign group. Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Now it's funny because if you look, you know, especially at like the bottles, it'll say, you know, if you bring it to California, if you bring it to Maine, and those are always like the two big states or the two main states that I remember, California and Maine, which makes sense because that was two of the original ten of the bottle bill bill. Absolutely, and even to further that point, during this timeframe, do you you remember watching The Sandlot Right? Of course that movie was shot in the early nineties, but it was based in the fifties or maybe the sixties.
Speaker 3: I forget around which time frame, but it was back in these days. When he hit the Babe Ruth ball over the fence, they they had to make a replica to put on the shelf until they could figure out a way to get the ball back from the beasts. The whole nine Yeah, what it Beennie the jet Rodriguez tell them. He's like, all right, guys, go and get all the bottles and cash them in. We need ninety eight cents. We got to buy us a ball. You could go and cash in bottles at that time to get a few cents, and you could use it for things. That was a thing then, that is in certain states that is still a thing. It's not a thing everywhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, most of the time, it's just people that are going around collecting aluminum and metal products. They're not even so much worried about glass or anything like that anymore.
Speaker 3: And honestly, they're going to a scrap yard to get weight for the aluminum. And it's not a lot. But you know, if you're a homeless guy who's trying to get your drinking money for the day, you can collect five trash bags of cans off the side of the road and bring them in. You can get you literally a few dollars to go buy you a bottle of oe for the evening, Like I get it.
Speaker 2: Unless you get your hands on some copper you.
Speaker 3: Know, well, yeah, scrapping copper is way more useful in that regard, which, again not a shameless plug. We might as well. We will be having these gorgeous Cult of Conspiracy copper coins available at cocsilver dot com. If you would like to get your start in the buying and selling and trading of gold and silver bullion, then come check us out at cocsilver dot com. The link is of the description below. Listen, we're not telling you to go scrap silver or scrap copper. What we are saying is that these precious metals are going to retain the value regardless because they are something that is valuable and useful. Silver, especially right, gold has always maintained a value. Silver there is a finite amount of it, and we are losing it every day. Every time a Tomahawk missile goes off, the Earth loses five hundred dollars worth of silver because of all the electrical components that are within that missile system. And I'm not saying that we're just sending missiles NonStop, but at the same time, silver is used in a lot of electrical components, so there is an intrinsic value to it aside from what the market says, it is right. If you would like to get your hands on some silver and gold before it is way too expensive to even fathom getting your hands on, then come check us out ccsilver dot com again. The link is in the description below, And thank you all the good cult members that have gone and done so and taken a little bit of your financial future into your own hands. More and more of y'all are getting on and getting involved with this, and I am so proud of y'all.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, shout out to the good cult members out there. It is one of the best future moves that you can make without a doubt, because then is that it never it's not gonna lose value. It is kept its value or gotten better in value since the beginning of time. Could argue, you could argue, right, bro.
Speaker 3: There are so many people that are getting to retirement age right now that are unable to retire because the market is just what it is and maybe some of their investments didn't do well for them, or whatever the case is. You have more and more people that are making the decision that they're gonna have to work till they die, and that's just what it is Oh, they could just draw Social Security. Bro That system is already starting to go belly up, and the baby boomer generation is going to absolutely bankrupt it. Now. I'm not selling all the good cult members to put all of their eggs in the silver and gold basket, but every single financial advisor will tell you that you need to have a diverse portfolio, and every single financial advisor that's worth a fuck will tell you to at least have something in precious metals. Okay, it's still affordable, right now, do your future self a favor and invest. We have a good deal going on with seven k Cocsilver dot com is where you can go and get.
Speaker 2: Your start anyway, fucking name thanks plugover all, right, getting back to it, So, CAB collaborated with the US Brewers Association to create the Clean Community System In nineteen seventy five, while the bottled bill debate was in full swing, CAB decided to establish a program that could be introduced in communities as an alternative to these bills. The Clean Community System concerned about the possibility that environmental groups would use the momentum gained by the bottle bills to push for packaging regulations CAB member the US Brewers Association proposed the idea of a community program to tackle litter control in nineteen seventy five. It was introduced to the public in seventy six, and communities across the nation signed on, believing they were participating in an act of public good. Before resigning from the CAB board in seventy six, EPA member Thomas Williams wrote a memo about his concerns over the Clean Community System, insisting its purpose was to focus the attention of hundreds of communities on anti litter campaigns. When successfully inaugurated, it tends to abort any local efforts to institute beverage container deposit systems, placing emphasis on these street cleaning and other litter control activities. Through the Clean Community System, CAB pushed several substitutions for bottle bills. One such option was a litter tax, a nominal tax on manufacturers and retailers used to fund litter clean up organizations and participating Still, critics felt these clean up groups were put in place to make the package and beverage industries appear to be taking action against pollution when they were actually doing very little. One of one president of Nebraska Sierra Club in the seventies summarized his feeling by writing in quotes, I'm tired of pumping money into front organizations whose goal is to educate and plant flowers. My ditch is filled with cans and bottles. Legislation mandating deposits would stop litter before it starts, but CAB never supported the bottle bill.
Speaker 3: So when they could have put more emphasis on the recycle spots right the actual buildings and the infrastructure to where people could go out of their way to recycle these things because they want to be good, they want to be virtuous, they want to fight the litter problem. Instead, they just put it towards more ads and more optics to make it appear like they were doing things. In reality, they were doing little to nothing to help the situation. But anytime there was a group doing something, oh, it was a perfect time for a photo op, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, of course. So by the nineteen sixties, CAB claimed seventy million members. The ad Council and CAB began to look beyond advertising in the late nineteen sixties, supporting actions like collections programs or trash pickups and parks around the country. These publicly funded initiatives were supported by environmental organizations across the board, most of which believed that they were participating in an important collective movement to save the environment. During the nineteen sixties, CABS membership reached seventy million people, a third of Americans at the time. Damn a third, dude.
Speaker 3: The Council did a very good job of spreading the word, and people were joining again, thinking and believing that they were trying to help the problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So membership ranged from individuals to municipalities to private businesses. In nineteen sixty five, Old Lady Bird Johnson, the first Lady publicly expressed her support for a Highway Beautiful project, telling Americans in her quotes, ours is a blessed and beautiful land, but much of it has been tarnished. What can you do? Look around you, at the littered roadside, at the polluted stream, the decayed city center. We need urgently to restore the beauty of our land. How many of you have ever seen the adopt a highway posters? Right, I thought about it.
Speaker 3: Or you're driving down a highway and you say, this highway was adopted by this VFW hall this boy Scout troop, this Masonic lodge, whatever the case was. All of this was done in this attempt.
Speaker 2: Could you imagine cult of conspiracy highway.
Speaker 3: Let's fucking well. I mean, sometimes they'll name the highway after whoever did it, but typically you just get a sign saying this highway was adopted by this group. And yet it's advertisement And yes it's great for the optics, but at the same time, all that is is free litter cleanup that the government doesn't have to pay for, and it does nothing to actually stop the mass production of the materials that's being littered in the first fucking place.
Speaker 2: I know that road and this is just for people who might be living in Louisiana, Uh, mainly Ascension Parish, but you you know that road that's right on side of Domino's. It's called Ascension Parish Road or some shit in Praieval off a airline.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I always thought about just like reaching out and being like that is such a bland name. How much would it cost just to buy that little road? It's I mean, it ain't but a quarter mile, you know what I'm saying, Like it would be cool to just rename that instead of Ascension Parish Road. How fucking boring, you know what I mean? I wonder how much that would cost. Maybe a couple grand I don't know.
Speaker 3: I've never looked into renaming a street to see, like whose palms you gotta grease to like make that happen. But yeah, I mean maybe that'd look in it.
Speaker 2: That would be awesome, and I would track down all you litterbugs out there on our road.
Speaker 3: Mine will be a clean highway.
Speaker 2: Yeah buddy. If we gotta get a fucking uh crying actor Indian to promote that, then we will.
Speaker 3: Oh no, we're in Louisiana. We just get a crying cagun. I know plenty of them that like, they don't cry. But I could put a little gli call right there by their eye, make it look or glister or whatever it was, to make it look like they're crying. Ain't nothing, that's a that's an eye dropper, away, dude, for clear eyes for real, you know that's all. You just give them some eyes for quick, just eye drops. They turn and look like they're crying. Hey man, why'all put all that trash on my road? Yeah? I could sell Oh we got this. We could make this a thing.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, it'd be even more funny too, is like you know how the kuon asses they always trying to make something into a pelt or something into a hat. If we could just get them to like get on the side of the road, like this will be our commercial for it. They get on the side of the road and they make like a milk carton hat that they just rock around everywhere. That would be the most Louisiana shit I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: We have them pull up on a p row, you know what I'm saying, They get out and somebody throws a bunch of trash by their feet. Oh dude, we could remake that add so much better and actually use a real cage in for that shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, Well, and we have a buddy in advertising too, we might be able to make that happen.
Speaker 3: Wait, we're gonna put a pin in that one.
Speaker 2: Hell are you so?
Speaker 3: Do I do this? If for nothing else, just to throw it in the face of the recycling being such a scam and, as we are learning right now, a total fucking siop. So.
Speaker 2: In the decades since the famous ad, cab has launched new campaigns and initiatives across the country. As recycling rose in popularity during the nineteen eighties, CAB transformed the Clean Community System, which was renamed the Keep America Beautiful System, from an anti littering initiative to a pro recycling one. It was executed in more than four hundred cities, and CABS founding or funding blossomed. The organization looked beyond beverage and packing packaging industries for collaboration and started a partnership with the waste disposal industry that persists into the present. Since this shift, CAB remains careful about how it frames its support recycling. When it launched the campaign Let's Not Waste the nineteen nineties, that was the name of the campaign. Instead of emphasizing the importance of recycling methods, CAB prep CAB presented the public with five ways to tackle solid waste excess source reduction, recycling, composting, incineration, and sanitary landfilling. During a nineteen ninety three public video conference, CAB president Roger Powers told people in quotes, while recycling can be an important method of dealing with our waste in some communities, it is not the only option in order to safely and effectively manage trash. The public must be informed of every alternative.
Speaker 3: Real quick, real quick. Let's go over those five just for a second. Here, source reduction, Well, what does that mean. It means that the public will make a conscious effort to produce less trash. Okay, all right, that's one. I'm with you. Number two recycling, and again there are certain materials that are absolutely one h two percent recyclable and we should be doing that. I'm with this. Number three composting, so basically any of your food that you would usually throw out or not all that I want to say that because you'll attract like rodents and shit, but like there are things that you could put into a compost pile, which you should be doing that anyway. But we should also be growing our own food, which is why you would be composting. Unless you have a garden, you're not going to compost. Let's be real here. Number four the incineration, so burning your trash, because we see so many times where that's so good for our clean air. Right, no one's ever had an issue of people burning their own trash before. And number five sanitary landfilling. And how many times have we heard about a landfill that had one of those liners that ripped and now all the toxic shit is leeching out into the earth. But yes, of course that's a better option by yeah, okay, just want to stop and make sure we talked about those real quick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well, you know, it's uh, none of that is really good. And to be honest, I wish there was a way that we could just burn our trash like that seems like, you know, it's gonna maybe it's gonna reduce the size of it obviously. You know, maybe maybe if you have some kind of ash catcher or some kind of filter, maybe the trash companies or maybe these packaging programs would be able to pay for every household to be able to have one of those kind of things. Could be something very simple, or we can just go full on back to the fucking future with it and just find a way to be able to use it as a fuel source. Nobody's gonna be throwing trash to the sidebad at that point.
Speaker 3: We're gonna talk about that as an option here in a bit, because there is a way to do that, But that's strictly just for plastics, right, So here's where I'm at with it. Cardboard and paper. Dude, I burn all that. I absolutely Once a week we start a fire and we burn shit. First of all, I love starting fires, not as a pyrope, but just it's very it's calming to me to build a good fire, right number one? Number two, glass and ten cans and soup cans and coke bottle. Yes, we should be recycling those, and I can understand that source reduction. We should be making less trash, and I agree with that. We America is are the largest trash producers on Earth.
Speaker 2: We're gonna talk about all of that here in a bit. Uh Recycling.
Speaker 3: Composting, yo, unless you have a garden, you're not gonna think to compost. And that's also not even a drop in the bucket. That is a tenth of a drop. That's a nano drop in a bucket. Do you personally? Composting doesn't help the earth on that level unless you're doing it to scale.
Speaker 2: That's a singular count here, sir.
Speaker 3: Right and centeration. Okay, certain things that can burn, I'm with you. Sanitary landfilling. There are ways to do landfills, and I'm not saying that that is not a viable option. But also there are so many landfills that have done it wrong for so long that we are now seeing come through to fruition. And it's just that's my point. It's not none of these are necessarily good, or some of them are good. Yes, we should be making less trash. That's a good option. I like that, but none of them are scalable realistically.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's got to start with the corporations, I think absolutely.
Speaker 3: But anyway, let's continue here.
Speaker 2: So in nineteen ninety four, CAB published it's four hundred thousand dollars study The Role of Recycling of Recycling in Integrated Solid Waste Management of the Year two thousand, once again shaping recycling as practice with limitations. One doubter fired back, writing in quotes, I find myself questioning the agenda behind the study. The report reminds us that it is cheaper to send solid waste to the landfill. Well, I can easily argue that tossing solid waste in the river is even cheaper.
Speaker 3: Ah, And interesting how that is. And I'll kind of cut to the chase on the whole. Using plastic to make a fuel source, it's very possible.
Speaker 2: It doesn't make very high grade fuels. But you can use it to make fuels.
Speaker 3: But it's also expensive to turn a bunch of plastic waste into a like ignitable fuel source because it's all hydrocarbons, it's all from crude oil. But I mean, I'll tie in later to my theory about plastic bottles and plastics in general that we are using.
Speaker 2: But I mean, it's it's expensive until you get some big money and some big push behind it, and surely somebody with the means to be able to push that kind of study. And you know, there's a lot of brilliant fucking people out there in the world, and usually those very brilliant people that find alternative fuel sources, they end up dead a week later as soon as they get done publishing it. Maybe if we just stop killing.
Speaker 3: Those people, maybe if we keep around.
Speaker 2: The people that found a way to be able to run a car off of water or run a car off of plastic, maybe if we didn't fucking suicide them, then we might be able to not have to worry so much about the whole recycling issue. But no, we like to, we like to, you know, we don't kill them. They just suicide themselves for some reason. They just always kill themselves. I mean, they come up with one of the best inventions in all of humanity, and they just can't help it. I mean, they are so eating themselves, allied, so rotten on the inside, they can't stand to look at themselves in the mirror anymore. They just have to kill themselves.
Speaker 3: You know, It's just crazy how that works out. Man, as soon as some amazing, world changing technology comes out, the creator just feels so burdened with his genius that he just can't He can't wake up tomorrow morning. He's over it.
Speaker 2: It's like if I cured cancer, and I'm like, you know what, I really just I did the world. I did the world dirty by doing that. I'm just I can't stand to even live with myself anymore. I'm just gonna kill myself. Ridiculous, you know, it is.
Speaker 3: It is anyway. So cabs invest continue to watch their industries thrive, while Keep America Beautiful continues to roll out beautification and community based recycling initiatives, including twenty thirteen's I Want to Be Recycled campaigns. Its corporate sponsors have turned to the manufacture and processing of disposables into a cash crop. On its website, CAB lists its corporate sponsors, which includes PepsiCo, Coca Cola, Anheuser Busch, h and M, Waste Management, and McDonald's. These organizations represent some of the wealthiest businesses in the world. In twenty sixteen, the solid waste industry generated sixty billion dollars in revenue, a set of increase from the thirty nine billion in two thousand. The industry's profits will exceed eighty one billion dollars by twenty twenty three. This is a twenty twenty two arcow I should say so eighty one billion dollars in the solid waste industry right. The global plastics market is expected to surpass six hundred billion in profits by twenty twenty. With a consumer market overwhelmed by disposables, The demand for plastics globally will be over three hundred and thirty million tons in twenty twenty. Three hundred and thirty million tons.
Speaker 2: And this was before COVID, when people were just Amazon ordering everything.
Speaker 3: To their house.
Speaker 2: That's just the demands for the plastic. Three hundred and thirty million tons of plastic that is being demanded by the public for whatever You're going to.
Speaker 3: Buy anything from the plastic wrapping on your Snickers bar, to the container that you're buying your food into the plastic bottle, so anything, it's just plastics.
Speaker 2: In general to everything. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the production of plastics requires fossil fuels. Yes, we are talking about crude oil, and corporations like Shell and Exxon Mobile are currently investing in the construction of new plastics facilities in the United States that will be operational within the next decade. These factories will quote unquote help fuel a forty rise in plastic production. Oh my god. Yeah. Meanwhile, cab prospers too, bring in over eight million in twenty sixteen, to ninety four percent of which came from outside contributors. It's a lobbying groom, you know.
Speaker 2: They really care so much, but they got to make a little cheese off the top.
Speaker 3: Of course, always they're not doing it for the health. They say they're doing it for the health of the world, but that's not true.
Speaker 2: It's amazing how all of these these these companies that are so concerned about the environment, all of the big dogs, all the chairmen's, all the CEOs, all of the people on the board, they all god, they all just somehow get to these meetings in drivate jets. You know, it's like, God, I just love people who are fucking oxymoronic contradictors.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's crazy how this really does play out, brother.
Speaker 2: And people don't even I mean, there are a lot of people out there with that dirt eye all the way open that are able to look at these people as the scam artists that they are. But there are so many people that just fall victim to all of this rhetoric that they are just having their mind manipulated into believing that these are really good people. It's like, let's hold these people at a higher pedestal. If you're going to come out here and you're gonna be talking about carbon tax credits, you're gonna be worried about the environment. You're worried about the littering in the ocean and on landfills and everything, you better be the best frontman for that that anybody's ever seen, because there's going to be people that are going to point to well, you gotta a big old diesel truck, or you got a yacht, or you got a jet plane. It's like, you can't tell me to stop littering and stop polluting. If you're one of the main contributors to doing.
Speaker 3: It talking about you. Leo DiCaprio, Fucking Leo.
Speaker 2: At least he's Dayton order women these days.
Speaker 3: Oh, he's going to like what twenty seven year olds.
Speaker 2: Now, twenty eight, twenty nine, something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look at him.
Speaker 2: Good like dating adults. That's new for him. Yeah, it's uh, it's kind of it's kind of strange. Most people, you know, we're looking at him, looking at all the brand new cars that he was buying with no mileage on him yet, and they were like, wait a second, you need you need something with about one hundred thousand miles on at first, at least twenty thousand miles.
Speaker 3: Let's just get you know what I'm saying, It's like.
Speaker 2: Stop, stop fucking taking all of our versions Leo.
Speaker 3: God, oh my god. Yeah that was a whole not just saying there's other people on the same thing. But I only bring up Leo because that was exactly what he did. When he finally won the Oscars, he said the global warming was the biggest threat facing us this in our day and age. Then the World Cup happens in Rio and he brings his private yacht, which burns like hundreds of gallons of diesel a day and parks it off the coast of Brazil. He doesn't actually like attend the World Cup, that's what the fucking pores dude. No, of course, he's just doing like the most upscale tailgating I've ever seen in my life. And to be almost to bitch it us.
Speaker 2: I don't have a problem with people owning yachts and sailing them. That's I don't have an issue with that. If you got that money. Best believe, if I was a billionaire, I'd have a fucking yacht too, and I would have a private jet, and I would have all these awesome things.
Speaker 3: But I wouldn't be talking shit to people who are burning diesel and like blowing black smoke in the air. I'm doing me, you're doing you? Like, how about you each mind our business?
Speaker 2: But isn't that a perfect allegory for this exact episode, Like ye, those very people that are saying that it's it's we're the polluters, we're the litterers whenever you know, they're kind of the biggest douches of.
Speaker 3: Them all agreed, And I mean again, like George Carlson said, we have the audaci. I think that's some plastic bags, some some plastic bottles are gonna kill Mother Earth. I'm not saying that we should minimize the severity of these toxic things on our planet. Yes, we should handle the problem. But also, bro the Earth has been through multiple ice ages, some plastic bottles, like we're making it more uncomfortable for ourselves. We're littering our environment and like all these things. But like big dog, we got we got the Earth has got the Earth covered. Okay, Yeah, it's like.
Speaker 2: I think that the you know, in just getting a little bit deeper into even the whole carbon thing. It's like, if the Earth really had a problem with any of the carbon, it wouldn't erupt fucking volcanoes that are going to produce way more carbon than all of humanity over the course of one hundred fucking years out of just one little eruption, right like it. So obviously the Earth probably doesn't really give that much of a fuck about carbon.
Speaker 3: So why are you saying that the Earth does. I'll give you another one. I don't think the Earth gives that much of a fuck about us. I'm sorry, I don't really think it does. Oh, it's the mother Earth. We're connected, we're not. We're not. The Earth is an independent thing. We are.
Speaker 2: The Earth is a living thing. And some people will say that it's a conscious being. I I'm kinda of that.
Speaker 3: But but that conscious being doesn't give a fuck about us.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm not saying that. I mean, it provides nourishment for us.
Speaker 3: It's doing its thing and we are taking the nourishment from it.
Speaker 2: Well that's to say that we're not native to Earth. Then would you say.
Speaker 3: That, no, we are.
Speaker 2: But that's that's it's not the same thing, dude, Like the animals the same way the Earth doesn't care about the deer.
Speaker 3: The Earth is doing earth shit. It's making trees and making grass because that's what the earth does. The animals are eating of the grass the earth and doing that for the animals. That's just happening independently, and it's all working in a harmonious balance. But it's like those are separate entities.
Speaker 2: I mean, you can't say that they're not connected and then also say that it's harmonious.
Speaker 3: I'm saying that two things can be true at the same time.
Speaker 2: Interesting. Interesting, I mean I disagree, but I understand where they're coming from but anyhow, so it says these campaigns have had minimal impact on recycling rates and plastics lotion is worse than ever. We've all seen images of plastic islands floating in the ocean or mountains of plastic growing on land. But just how much plastic has been produced since the disposables industry, backed by CAB took off in the nineteen fifties. According to a study published by Science Advances in twenty eighteen, eight point three billion metric tons of plastic has been produced, six point three billion metric tons has become plastic waste. Of that, only nine percent has been recycled. The vast majority, seventy nine percent is accumulating in landfills or sloughing off in the natural environment as litter. That means that ninety one percent of plastic is not recycled. Yeah, holy shit, dude, what was that six point eight point three billion metric tons of plastic? Oh my god, that's a literal metric.
Speaker 3: Fteen in twenty eighteen. Dude, in twenty eighteen, eight point three billion metric tons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, obviously it's going to get substantially worse every year, only gone up it's only gone up right. So today Americans toss out close to three hundred pounds of solid waste a year, a third of which is packaging. The industry is responsible for the proliferation of these non biodegradable single use products, have been unwilling to adapt or accept the role that they play in polluting the planet. Instead, they rely on shipping plastic refuse is it rip refuse refuse trash okay plastic trash to other countries, or incinerating plastic, which releases toxic chemicals into the atmosphere. It is also becoming more apparent to scientists the plastic industry is a major contributor to climate change since the material is derived from fossil fuels. These industries, including CAB sponsors, understand that the cost of recycling in America placed on municipalities is unaffordable due to the lack of the lack of infrastructure anti technology to keep up with the amount of materials produced. For decades, America exported most of its recyclables to China, but China ended this arrangement in twenty eighteen. Recycling programs across the country are at risk, and the problem is projected to get worse as long as the disposables industry and its partners refuse to support bottle bills, invest in more recycling facilities, and make products that are easier to reprocess. So there's a lot of things to unpack with this one article, okay, And like we said, it's not the glass in the metal, Okay, it is the plastics that is the real evil as far as the recycling game is concerned.
Speaker 3: I got a Forbes article here beyond the plastics, the myths and truths about recycling and the potential solution. I'm gonna go ahead and read into this one now, but just before I do, they were correct about a lot of those things. The recycling rates the amount that each human produces in America three hundred pounds a year that we individ you will make three hundred pounds, I will make three all these things, and yes there's varying degrees of that. Some make more than others. That's an on average thing. But that is a yearly rate, end over end, that is not going to go down anytime soon unless some very drastic changes are made. But they're not going to get made. Was that because the companies?
Speaker 2: Was that per individual or per household to three hundred pounds.
Speaker 3: Per individual sir damn. Yeah, and we have our over what three hundred and sixty five billion people living in this country million excuse me, a million? Woweh million. So that's my point. You do the math on that, and it's not a pretty number of what it looks like. But then what do we do with these materials? How do we dispose of them properly? We're gonna get to it all in a minute, but now let's read into this Forbes article here the pervasiveness of plastic has become a global concern and estimated two hundred and forty two million metric tons of it's generated every year, and the United States is one of the top generators. Actually, correction, it is the top generator on earth and has been for quite some time. The consumerist nation thing, we buy bye bye all that, yet we buy shit that's in plastic. So keep that in mind.
Speaker 2: I mean, who's even a close second? Who would you say.
Speaker 3: The problem is? Whenever I say who the close second is, there's a reason why they're a close second. It'd be China and India. But also it's not because there's such a consumerist nation it's because we outsourced and they buy our trash from us. But we're gonna get to that in a minute with Operation Long Sword or National Sword when twenty eighteen. But anyway, anyway, So while recycling sounds like a simple solution, it's not. Plastic recycling has proven to be ineffective, as evidenced by a shocking statistic from Our world in data. Out of the five point eight billion metric tons of plastic waste generator between nineteen fifty and twenty fifteen, only about nine percent of it has been recycled. And I shall also make mention it has never gone over nine percent. Like the best year, maybe we will achieve nine percent successful recycling. That is such a very small number, and usually it's a lot lower than that. The rest has been left to be incinerated, land filled, or littered. On top of that, a more recent report from nonprofit the Last Beach Cleanup and advocacy group Beyond Plastics found that the number of found that number to be even lower, with only five percent to six percent of the US plastic ways converted into products in twenty twenty one. It can be hard to believe that so little plastics has actually been recycled, considering how commonplace recycling has become. But the truth is, plastic is not easy to recycle. Plastic products are usually made up of a mixture of chemicals that can create difficulties in the recycling process, and it's harder to isolate the base materials that can be recovered and reused. So how come environmental campaigns frame recycling as such a simple solution. The plastic problem isn't a new one, of course, but I learned more about this wide ranging consequences during a recent conversation with Judith inc Unk I don't know, President of Beyond Plastics. The nationwide project has based in Bennington College in Bennington, Vermont, pairs the experience of environmental policy experts with creative college students to achieve the institutional, economic, and societal changes needed to combat the plastic pollution crisis. During our conversationc inc, how would you say that word? Ink?
Speaker 2: Ink ink man e n C k ink alex smoke right, Okay.
Speaker 3: Fair enough. Inc addressed the crucial need for companies to be hailed accountable for the environmental impacts their products make, as well as the major problem with chemical recycling and the abundance of greenwashing among companies taking environmental action. We're going to talk about greenwashing more in depth at the end of this thing. Extended producer responsibilities, so as I share in my first article from the conversed conversation with inc, the first step she suggests to combat the plastic problem is to create clear and measurable requirements in extended producer responsibility EPR policies with an emphasis on reduction. EPR is the concept that manufacturers and importers should be held responsible for the environmental impacts of their products throughout their life cycle. Although many environmental groups agree that putting these policies into place is important, many special interest groups have taken advantage of legislators who lack policy depth on such a complicated issue, and as such have developed their own EPR bills. Take for example, the American Legislative Exchange Council or ALEC, which is known for writing model legislation with the major corporations, typically the same companies that fund ALEC. Interesting how that works out right, then encouraging their introduction through legislative partners nationwide. This is a lobbying group that's all. This all boils down to they drafted an alternative EPR bill on the topic of plastics. But these model bills are coming directly from the packaging industry. So literally, they're saying, Oh, we're going to pass this new plastic policy. Well, who's paying your paychecker quick? Oh the plastics industry. Well, I bet there's a conflict of interest here. I mean, I'm not sure, but damn that's.
Speaker 2: About as good as an idea. Is the irs auditing the irs, exactly right.
Speaker 3: Many EPR proponents argue that putting fees on packaging will result in packaging changes and improvements, and although that's a well intentioned theory, INC says companies will likely pass on these fees to consumers. Absolutely, if they have to pay the fee, their product just got marked up a little bit. That's that's how this goes. They're not paying shit, They're absolutely not. But their product might go up twenty five cents a dollar, however much their fine would have been. Huh.
Speaker 2: Some of the bills currently being proposed give too much control to companies, which tend to find ways around their responsibilities if they are not meticulously defined. INC says that even more problematic is that many of these bills allow for chemical recycling. The problem with chemical recycling is until twenty eighteen, the US ship nearly half of its plastic recycling to other countries, mostly China.
Speaker 3: We shipped it to them and basically paid them to handle that problem for US. But in twenty eighteen, chrying to stop taking any plastics that wasn't pristinely sorted. We're gonna talk about contaminated recyclables here in a bit, but anyway, other countries soon follow suit, and as such, plastic began to pile up in the United States, where it was land filled or routinely or routed to incinerators to be burned. Incineration sometimes called chemical recycling. Incineration sometimes called chemical recycling, has been hailed as a promising new recycling technology. But it's not a magical solution. We're talking about burning trash, y'all. That's not a magic solution. That's not new. We're talking about burning plastics that release chemicals and black smoking to the air, which is toxic. It's being hailed as a promising new recycling technology. These people are out of their fucking mind.
Speaker 2: It just reminds me of fucking wow, what was that castaway movie with Tom Hanks, not to give him a good shout out, but I do love that movie whenever he's out there on the fucking island and he starts a fire and he's.
Speaker 3: Like, fire, I create fire. It's a new technology.
Speaker 2: And that's a fucking they're saying it's a promising new technology. You mean fire is that new technology?
Speaker 3: And I'm sorry, I personally know fifty to one hundred veterans that are currently suffering from lung damage from the burn pits of burning trash in country. So right off the rit I can tell you that'sulyon.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, there was that whole thing too with what was it, uh, Because whenever veterans go overseas, they have to like piss into holes and shit and there's always somebody that has to clean all that stuff out.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, oh yeah, we burn shit, like absolutely, I've burned shit before. It's the worst, but like that's that's what you do. Whenever you make a straddle trench happen where you got like a porter shitter And it's not like the nice blue ones that we have in America. It's a wooden box with a glorified bucket at the bottom, and every few days, you got to yank the bucket out, dump a five gallon bucket of diesel fuel in it, and burn it. And you gotta stir it with a fence post to make sure that it all gets burned. That's you're breathing that shit literally in and then these people have lung issues. So yeah, I'm sorry, but incineration is not a promising new recycling technology. It's it will kill you. But like, okay anyway, And unfortunately, many of the new EPR bills that are being introduced include language that will allow for chemical recycling aka.
Speaker 2: Burning the shit is another quote here. Chemical recycling is not recycling.
Speaker 3: Inc says it takes waste plastic, heats at high temperatures and then creates a low grade fossil fuel. Now, incineration is not this low grade fossil fuels that you're making with these plastics, which is not a bad solution to your point that you brought up earlier, But the problem is that it is extremely expensive and for the amount of fuel that you're using to melt the plastics into a viable fuel source, it's kind of like wind turbines. You're never going to get out even an equal amount of what was used to create the craft or create the product.
Speaker 2: So the amount of natural gas that you need to do the heating and the pressurization of this tank of plastic to make it into a low grade biodiesel or something, it's not going to create enough diesel to outweigh the amount of natural gas.
Speaker 3: That went into it.
Speaker 2: It's not even worth it at that point exactly.
Speaker 3: And I'm not saying that we can't figure out that technology later on, but we are currently not at a place where we have that. But anyway, as the Natural Resource Defense Council in our DC explains in a twenty twenty two analysis, chemical recycling typically falls into two categories, plastic to fuel and plastic to chemical. Plastic to fuel conversion involves prilosis and gasification, both of which use heat and chemical processes to break down plastic waste into products that are turned into fuels. Plastic to chemical processes use treatments such as heat and solvents to create feedstocks that proponents claim can be turned into other chemicals and new plastics. Both categories are teeming with health, environmental, social, and economic concerns, So right off the rip, both of these options are there's massive red flags, multiple massive red flags on the play for both of them. But they're saying that they're promising new solutions. Specifically, plastic to fuel converts and produces harmful air pollution and greenhouse gases when burned. The NRDC found that Aglix a Gillix Okay, an organ get based processing plant hailed as a gold standard of chemical recycling, has produced hundreds of thousands of pounds of toxic waste in a single year. Cool In addition, many and this is an organ dude, these people care about the environment and this place that everybody's giving their plastics to because oh they're recycling it. It's good for hundreds of thousands of pounds of toxic waste in a year.
Speaker 2: I don't know if everybody in organs about that life, you know.
Speaker 3: I feel like most are. Well.
Speaker 2: There was the whole Portland Chaz situation, and they were definitely not recycle of the mind of being recycling, you know what, and very.
Speaker 3: Green of them. I see what you're saying for sure. In addition, many of these facilities are in or near low income communities with residents who are more vulnerable to health risks. Basically, you put a chemical melting plant next to the hood, and the people around that place are now suffering from all kinds of health issues, and well, you know.
Speaker 2: Don't care better the people than the earth though, right.
Speaker 3: Exactly exactly, So if chemical recycling is not the solution, then why do so many proposed EPR policies green wash plastic to fuel processes as recycling Because it's simpler and less expensive. Of course, this is true among many of the environmental actions various companies have taken up. Now, we're not gonna get into the green washing just yet. I'm actually gonna save that for a little bit later here, but I feel like it needs to be made mention of this. Now, Plastics are not biodegradable, Okay, Now paper is biodegradable. Glass not so much. But I mean it's from sand, so it's not gonna necessarily hurt the earth to bury glass. But there's like you could use it again, so why would you? Right? Cans are technically biodegradable, but it takes like five hundred years for a coke can to go back to its or state and be returned to the earth, So like by definition it's biodegradable, but it's not that's not what we should be doing with it. Right.
Speaker 2: But I know what you're about to say, good cult members out there. If recycling doesn't work, then wait a minute. If plastics, right, they're not biodegradable.
Speaker 3: Now they can weather into something called microplastics. We will get to that in a little bit. They can weather and deteriorate into microplastics. But they do not ever get like, they don't go back to the Earth in any kind of natural way. You can't get rid of them. But I know what you're about to say.
Speaker 2: But Jacob, what about the green triangle on all the plastic bottles we see? What about the little recycling logo with the number inside of it? This means that it can be recycled, right, Well, let's just learn a little bit about that, right. They would have you pretty much who doesn't know, huh, that's what they would have you believe.
Speaker 3: That's what they would have you believe, dude. Now, for anybody who doesn't know, the little green triangle icon with the number inside of it was created by a college student and he got paid twenty five hundred dollars for and he ended up going to Stockholm for some school with it. But here's a quick little story about the creator of the recycling logo. You may or may not know about this, but they pretty much screwed this kid.
Speaker 2: How a student designed the recycling logo and got him easily twenty five hundred bucks. In nineteen seventy, Gary Anderson was a twenty three year old college student at the University of Southern California when a Chicago container company held a design contest to raise awareness about the environment. Anderson's submission won, and it became the internationally recognized recycling logo and a design classic that ranks with the Coca Cola and Nike marks for sheer ubiquity.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's a very very recognizable logo, right, and it's it is one of those logos that has made its way not just in America but around the world. People know that that is the symbol for recycling. And I mean yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Mean essentially, it's kind of like a new age or boros. If you think about it, snake eating its tail, you know, that's that's that's really what the snake. The whole idea of the or boros and the snake eating its own tail is that it's recycling. Into itself or it's you know, uh, coming back. It's gonna be reborn and recycle and come back and live it and continue. So it's kind of the same thing there, you go.
Speaker 3: You want to talk about some occult symbolism being used and being a thing that our logo, Our brain sees that and it's a logo and it just knows what this is. One hundred percent with you, dude. That's the whole principle of recycling, right to give something old new life. That's that's the entire principle. This glass coke bottle, I could throw it away or I could recycle it and it will have a new life and it will be refilled with a beverage and someone else will be able to use it.
Speaker 2: And that's the entire principle. So yeah, yeah, help plastic reincarnate you know. Well no, I've not plastic, but we'll get to that in a moment. Well that's the idea behind the logo, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So Financial Times magazine ran a first person retrospective in which Anderson recounts the experience. This is his words. He goes, it didn't take me long to come up with my design. A day or two. I almost hate to admit that now, but I had already done a presentation on recycling wastewater, and I'd come up with a graphic that described the flow of water from reservoirs through the through to consumption. So I already had arrows and arcs and angles in my mind. The problem with my earlier design is was that it seemed flat, two dimensional. When I sat down to enter the competition, I thought back to a field trip in elementary school to a newspaper office where we'd seen how paper was fed over rollers as it was printed. I drew on that image. The three arrows in my final sketch look like strips of folded over paper. I drew them in pencil and then traced over everything in black ink. These days, with computer graphic packages, it's rare that designs are are quite as stark. So, despite the clear talent for the medium, Anderson actually became an architect or an architect rather than a graphic designer, and ironically learned to lament environmental regulations from time to time. But I won't spoil the whole story here. Check out the full Okay, we don't need to yeah that a thing.
Speaker 3: So Basically, this kid came up with an idea and he got paid. It was a contest and it was like a He got two thousand dollars for one portion of the contest, and I think he got like five hundred dollars in a royalty of some type. He used it to go to Stockholm and go to school for like a semester or something to take a course out that way, which is fine, but keep in mind he became an architect and ended up hating regulations that got in the way of him making money. So take that with whatever grain of salt you want. But now the logo self a little triangle there. Okay, we know what that symbol means. But when it comes to plastics, what about that little number inside the triangle? Have you ever thought about what that might.
Speaker 2: Be, Jonathan, I just assumed that that was the it's like you see on the back of like big tanker trucks, like a biohazard kind of number. I assumed that that's what it was.
Speaker 3: So once upon a time someone told me that that was the number of reuses that that bottle was able to take before the chemicals would start leaching out of it. To the point we made earlier. That made no sense to me, but sure I ran with it because I didn't think to do any kind of real researcher digging into it. Just so everybody's clear, the little number inside the triangle is actually an industry code for to label what type of plastic is being used on that part of the bottle, right, So number one is PET, number two is HDPE. We'll get to all of these in a moment.
Speaker 2: But these basically different types of plastic then.
Speaker 3: Exactly exactly, So number three, six, and seven are literally not recyclable, like zero percent recyclable. So number three is PVC. We all know what PVC pipe is, right. If you see a low recycled symbol with the number three in it, that would be polyvinal chlory. That's what that is. Number six is polystyrene styrofoam essentially, and number seven literally every fucking thing else that's not listed in the first six, and none of those are recyclable. There's only I looked it up.
Speaker 4: Bro.
Speaker 3: There is the strangest chain of events with the sheer amount of luck thrown in that you could possibly recycle one of these things and it gets used for the intended purpose mostly those just get thrown straight to the landfill. But why do they put it in the recycling logo you might ask to make you feel good for recycling. It's a psi op, that's literally it now.
Speaker 2: Number one and two that would be PET, which is poly ethyl.
Speaker 3: Shit. I forgot to write that down. PET, it's a type of plastic. And number two which is HDPE, which is high density polyethylene. Basically milk jugs and coke bottles. That is the types of plastic that they are, and they have at least some fucking snowballs chance in hell of actually being recycled. So unless it's the little triangle that you see on your plastic bottle with a number one or number two inside of it, it's going to a landfill. There's no way around that.
Speaker 2: PET plastic stands for polyethylene terra thlate.
Speaker 3: Thank you, I forgot what that tea stood for. But yeah, So basically what I'm saying, the milk jug type of plastic and your coke and water bottle type of plastic, yes, there is a chance in hell that they could be recycled. More often than not, they're not going to. But that's because of contamination, which we'll get to in a moment, which.
Speaker 2: Is actually an amazing that even they would ever even get to nine percent in a whole year recycling, if you're running off of those stipulations, like nine percent is a pretty fucking good feat at that point, I would think.
Speaker 3: But it's usually somewhere between five and seven percent of all plastics that clean that they can be recycled all honestly, it's it's one out of every twenty coke bottles are actually being recycled.
Speaker 2: So you're saying that they keep so what was it, numbers three, six, and seven are unrecyclable. Yeah, and they put those numbers on there, and they keep the recycling logo the sigil, let's just call it, and they keep that on there just to make you feel good about recycling. And and here's the sih op within that, if you think about it, just like from a psychological standpoint, even though you know or even though they know that those are not recyclable, they're still putting it on there because now it's essentially telling the people, look, you gotta recycle. We put the little recycling thing on there. You have to do it, and that way, whenever it's not recycled, or it can't be recycled. They can, they can put all the blame on the public because we had that logo. It's your fault, exactly. It is a virtue signal.
Speaker 3: It's a guilt trip, and or it makes you feel good to recycle these things because you feel like you're doing good for the earth.
Speaker 2: It's a complete mind fuck. Everything's a fucking scam, dude. Every single thing is a scam. I'm so tired of this shit, dude, like ever, so tired of just people lying to you. They seem they seemingly care, they seemingly are genuine, they seemingly are sincere. You know, it's like it just reminds me of the whole like the Rock and Oprah situation. With the Maui fires, they're trying to make everybody else say, if you could only contribute just a couple of dollars, It's like, bitch, both of y'all are billionaires, fucking contribute a little something, you know, Like literally, between you two, you could rebuild all of Maui.
Speaker 3: You could. You could. Now let's talk about this, the virtue signaling of it. Right. So now, polls show that a third of all Americans recycle. First of all, I'm gonna call bullshit on that. Who can really trust the pole? Like, does that mean that the person polling was like, yeah, if I have the option, Like there's at the airports, there's a trash pile and a recycling pile right there, and I've thrown a coke bottle into a recycling bin before I recycle. Or how many of these people were actually saying no, I actively break apart my trash and I am like separating it by color and by this and by this, and I actually recycle. Who fucking knows. But allegedly the poles quote unquote show that a third of all Americans recycle. But again, I'm calling bullshit on that. But it is understood that America produces the largest amount of waste in the world annually, and our recycling centers simply can't keep up. If that is a true number, and if a third of Americans are actually over one hundred million people are actively recycling the correct way, we don't have enough recycling centers to actually handle that kind of influx of them. That's just not in the cards. So what did our boomer politicians do to fix quote unquote the problem when the time came, they outsourced because that's the only thing these fuckers know how to do is outsource it to someone else and make it someone else's problem. I know, I'm not just trying to shoot on boomers, but also, like, for fuck's sake, don't ever like attack a problem head on, blame someone else for it once you outsource it to them, and then they couldn't handle the problem, so you have a finger to point rather than a solution to the anyway.
Speaker 2: Not to be pony here, but did they literally kick the can down the road?
Speaker 3: That is literally what they did. Yes, literally and figuratively, and mostly they outsource it to China. Now, China and Indonesia are responsible for around five million tons of plastic in the ocean every year, which is about one third of all global debris.
Speaker 2: That is oh my god, that is absurd.
Speaker 3: Have you heard of the plastic Island, Jonathan.
Speaker 2: I have?
Speaker 3: Yeah, good COLT members, just give you two right, Oh yes, it is good COLT members. If you've never heard of the plastic Island, let me go ahead and show you this little video and let's learn about it together, shall This.
Speaker 2: Is the great Texas?
Speaker 3: Oh yes, and it's growing bro every year. And it's not the only one, it's the largest one. But yeah, let's oh buckle up, it's it's disgusting bro.
Speaker 4: Pacific garbage Patch, also known as the Pacific trash Vortex, is an area in the North Pacific where circulating water currents and wind movements have created an island like area of concentrated floating plastic garbage. Constantly growing, it is believed to increase in size tenfold every decade. American oceanographer Charles Moore first encountered the garbage patch, also known as trash Island, in nineteen ninety seven when returning to California after finishing the Los Angeles to Hawaii Transback yacht race, and reported that it took him seven full days to cross it. Twenty years later, and this monstrosity measures around one point six million square kilometers and contains approximately eighty thousand tons of plastic. That's over twice the size of Texas and five hundred times heavier than a house. A surprising thing about this area is that, despite its size, it is virtually invisible to satellites and aircraft. This is because ninety four percent of it is made up of minute fragments of plastic called microplastics. This complicates any location and clean up process because it means the plastic can only be located and retrieved by boat. These microplastics measure just a few millimeters in diameter, which also makes it very hard to remove and from the ocean without removing a large amount of important sea life with them. Another thing that complicates this clean up process is that because this plastic island is out in the middle of the ocean, miles away from any land, no country will accept responsibility for its cleanup, and with no funding, it is just left to grow. Perhaps the most troubling thing about this floating island of trash is that it isn't unique. There are similar garbage patches in the North Atlantic discovered in two thousand and nine, the Indian Ocean discovered in twenty ten, the South Pacific discovered in twenty eleven, and the South Atlantic discovered in twenty seventeen. There was even one discovered fairly recently in the Mediterranean Sea. There are various nonprofit organizations attempting to solve this problem, but they are drastically underfunded, and while projects like Mister Beasts Team Seas plan to raise thirty million dollars in two months to remove thirty million pounds of trash from our oceans are admirable and applaudable, they are neither practical nor economical. Thirty and eighty million pounds of plastic enter our seas every single day, So in the two months it took to remove thirty million pounds, approximately three billion pounds more entered, and at a cost of one dollar a pound. Today, you would need around three hundred and seventy trillion dollars to clear what is currently in the ocean, and every day that passes you'll need three billion dollars more. It seems the only way we can really tackle this problem is to adapt. To make changes in our lives to reduce our own dependency on plastics and therefore the amount of plastic that ends up in our ocean. Stop buying bottled water, avoid takeout food that uses single use plastics, recycle all we can, avoid buying items with excessive packaging, avoid products that contain microbeads, and understand that any plastic products that we don't recycle sooner or later will end up in our oceans, and that if we as the consumer don't buy plastic. The manufacturers won't produce it.
Speaker 3: Okay, real quick, real quick. Everything they talked about with the plastic island, that was the sportant part. But how do we solve this by reducing our own use of it? Bro Reducing our use of plastics doesn't fix the fucking island in the ocean currently as we speak.
Speaker 2: Also, how about instead of putting it on the people, maybe let's hold the corporations a little bit more liable about this.
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: You see that even then as they're trying to tell us about the problem, the guilt tripped you.
Speaker 3: This was that phase change right before your eyes. Good cult members, you've seen.
Speaker 2: It, Yeah, right on the screen. This is probably brought to you by the ad council A.
Speaker 3: But you saw that right. Even mister Beast with all of his resources, he donated thirteen million and cleaned up three hundred million, eight billion hit the ocean that timeframe. So it literally didn't it helped, but like to what end?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was basically just a waste of time at that point.
Speaker 3: Sadly, So remember how I said, the plastics don't buy iodegrade, they don't break down. They in the ocean will denegrate into microplastics, which is what's floating in our balls right now, but they don't go away, and it makes it damn near impossible to clean up because, yeah, you could pick up a bottle that's floating in the water. Once that degrades into microplastics, you have to like filter the water out to collect all of it. It's extremely labor intensive. It takes a lot of time and a lot of money. So they were saying this video came out three years ago, and they were saying that at that moment, it would take three hundred and seventy trillion with a T dollars to clean up that one trash island. But they already know that there's five more.
Speaker 2: So I just looked up. I was interested. Are micro you know, cause we're talking about microplastics. Are they essentially forever chemicals?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: And it says microplastics themselves are not classified as forever chemicals, but they can contain or be associated with such chemicals like pfas, which do not break down easily in the environment. But both microplastics and forever chemicals post significant health and environmental risks, so you know too, Now, basically the same thing.
Speaker 3: Now, where did this trashed island come from?
Speaker 2: In the Pacific Ocean, you might ask, right, because America has been attempting to clean themselves up since the fifties and sixties, right, and the crying Indian ad ran in nineteen seventy one.
Speaker 3: Right, So we outsourced to China. And I don't know if anybody's paid attention to China's pollution practices, but they don't give a fuck about the earth. Pretty Much everything we sent to them to deal with ethically, quote unquote, they just dumped in the ocean because it's out of sight, out of mind for us, and as soon as they get it's out of mind, out of sight for them. So they actually bought it for pennies on the dollar, got paid in American tax dollars, and did nothing but dump it into the ocean anyway. And they did that up until twenty eighteen with the introduction of Operation National Sword. This is a Wikipedia article, and I'm not going to bring an article page and I'm not gonna read the whole thing, but just so everybody gives a good understanding of what this is, the Operation National Sword or ONS, was a policy initiative launched in twenty seventeen by the government of China. Yes, we mean the CCP and Jijaping to monitor and more stringently review recyclable waste imports, not the recyclable waste that they were producing. They wanted to basically get all countries to stop sending them their shit and their garbage. By the first of January twenty eighteen, China had banned twenty four categories of solid waste, and it also stopped importing plastic waste with a contamination level of above zero point zero five percent, which was significantly lower than the two ten percent and it previously allowed. So what do I mean by that? All right? I just had an energy drink in my hand, okay, and I drank it and there was still at least a few drops left of energy drink in the bottom of the can. Okay. So the basically China would have accepted it if the can was ten percent full, that is a ten percent food contamination for that aluminum can, A right with me, they would have taken that. Then they changed it that it has to have less than half a percent actually, excuse me, less than a point zero five percent contamination. I hate to break it to you. The majority of the plastics that we are talking about here have a contamination level over that. And we're gonna discuss what happens with contaminated recyclables here in a bit. But anyway, they were accepting ten percent contamination. Now it's zero point zero five percent. Now before the policy, China will importing the vast majority of recyclables from North America and Europe. For two decades, this practice of buying recyclables brought raw materials for the growing industrial capacity of China, but also brought a lot of contaminated recyclables which ended up accruing in China, causing other environmental concerns such as air and water pollution. Now what do I mean by that? They started burning it, which created the crazy smog that you see. How many times have we seen pictures of China where the people are walking around with masks on their face because the smog is so bad.
Speaker 2: Some of that is because of their cars and burning of fossil fuels. The rest of that is from the burning of fossil fuels in the form of burning plastics, because plastics come from crude oil, and that's literally what they are. All those chemical components that we talked about are crude.
Speaker 3: Oil derivatives, and burning them produces black smoke, which in turn helps the whole small situation and water pollution. What do I mean by that dumping trash load after trash load after trash load into the China Sea.
Speaker 2: That's what I mean by the way you just made me like question my own mind. There, point zero five percent is five percent?
Speaker 3: No point zero five percent. You don't move the decimal place two over for five percent. This one percent is one point zero zero percent. We're already at that place.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, one point zero.
Speaker 3: Is one percent.
Speaker 2: No, it's a fraction. So to make up up, to make up one hundred percent would be you know, in in this kind of way, would just be one No.
Speaker 3: No, no, dude, ten percent is ten point zero. They are saying it's point zero five percent.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I just looked it up. That's what I'm trying to tell you.
Speaker 3: No, dude, you're not listening. They already had the percent thing here. We're not doing the jumping over two splaces to go from a decimal to a percent. This is a decimal of a percent. This is a fraction of a percent.
Speaker 2: Damn. So what is that a twentieth of one percent would be pointed.
Speaker 3: This is yeah, so this is the tenth spot, that's the one hundred spots. So basically that's what it's saying.
Speaker 2: Holy, So five hundredths aka one twentieth of a percent of.
Speaker 3: Contamination, damn. And they were accepting ten percent. So like like I said, that coke can the aerage you drink can if it had ten percent left of the ergy drink, China would have accepted it. Now it has to have less than zero point zero five percent for the going to happen. Exactly exactly, this is what they did. It's like one drop, not even that's a fraction of a drop. Crazy And so so China, because of this Operation National Sword twenty eighteen, decide they're no longer going to be taking the trash of America in Europe. And I mean, I don't disagree with them on this. I understand what they're going after here. We should be addressing our problems, not outsourcing it to China. I know there's a crazy concept for our politicians to like get behind here, but this is what really does need to happen now. Like we said, China and Indonesia are responsible for around five million tons of plastic waste in the ocean every year. That's current. That is not what they were doing in twenty fifteen. Those numbers are appalling, and that is why the largest trash island is between the coast of America and China right now.
Speaker 2: God, okay, yep, So anyway, I mean, eventually this is all gonna catch up to humanity, right like it has to.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, oh, it's already doing it right now. Dude, the guy that was uh racing from China to Hawaii, it took him seven days to sail through plastic island.
Speaker 2: I mean twice the size of Texas. I mean, think about it, Like, if you're starting at one end of Texas, Like let's just say you're starting at the east side and you're traveling to the west side, it takes ten hours to get through Texas driving at seventy seventy five eighty miles an hour, So twice the size of that I mean. Good God.
Speaker 3: So, whenever China did this new initiative, the recycling centers in America are the big cities anyway, panicked and stopped recycling altogether because although they told the American public that they were recycling it and reusing it, and all this they knew the truth. They were putting it either in landfills or more often than not, shipping it to China. Now that China's not taking anymore, they couldn't just hold on to the trash that was coming their way, so they just shut down. Okay, now most places started using landfills instead, but even still, there's only so many landfills to go around. And you can't put contaminated stuff into a landfill. Well, it depends on what the contamination is. Chemical is different than food. There's levels to this shit. But why does recycling fail? Why does recycling plastics fail? Long story short. Virgin plastics and what I mean by that, are like the first time that that Dasani water bottle is ever actually bought and used, that's considered virgin plastic first use, right. Virgin plastics are cheaper to make than it is to recycle old plastics. For you to take that plastic from that Dasagne bottle and melt it down and pour it into another mold and create another Dasaani bottle is exponentially more expensive than for you to just drill for more oil and use that oil to make another bottle exponentially more expensive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I see, and this is never going to happen. But I would actually suggest to all of these uh, you know, the the plastic bottle companies and you know, the glass bottle, the aluminum cans, all that kind of stuff, I would actually suggest that they should be held liable for you know, for this trash island, for the you know, certain landfills and everything. If we held them accountable instead of just saying that it's just on the people and you got to stop littering, I mean, it doesn't really matter because first of all, recycling's a fucking scam. And even if you did, most of it's going to end up in a landfill anyway. Who's that really helping long term? And So if we held the companies and the corporations that are actually producing all of these plastics and everything, if we held them liable, I guarantee you there would be a lot less of it, right, like you got to cut the head on the snake off.
Speaker 3: So here's the worst part. They knew, and by they, I mean like the corporate groups in America that we're trying to push the recycling narrative and all of that lobbyist, they knew that recycling isn't a scalable thing, but they pushed it anyway. Leaked documents from the American Chemical Council confirmed it just a few years ago. They knew it even way back in the seventies that this was not going to be something that could actually be viable, Like there's no way that we'll ever be able to scale up recycling enough to fix the problem that we're creating. But we're going to create the problem anyway and tell people that recycling is the thing. They knew it, and there has been leaked documents that have come to light to confirm this. This is an article from a group called grist okay, and this is only from a few years ago. A new report calls chemical recycling a dangerous deception, and a former plastic lobbyist agrees, a plastic lobbyist.
Speaker 2: You heard that, what a real piece of shit you gotta be to be a plastic lobbyist.
Speaker 3: And they knew because this is the same thing chemical recycling, plastic recycling. This is literally into changeable dialogue. But they told the world that this was a that we could totally do this. It's on you to recycle. That's why you're killing the earth, and this and this. They knew what they were doing, they knew how harmful it was, and they still pushed it and promoted it, knowing that in the best case scenario, we could never scale recycling enough to combat the bad that was being done.
Speaker 2: But they said, fuck it and send it anyway. Let's read into I mean, here's the thing. Shifting the blame does not solve the problem.
Speaker 3: No, no, it doesn't.
Speaker 2: So anyway, it says. As petrochemical companies continue to inundate the world with cheap plastic products and packaging, much of which is designed to be used once and then thrown away, they've been heavily promoting one solution called chemical recycling. This catch all term refers to processes and in technologies that break plastics into their molecular building blocks and turn them into new products. In theory, chemical recycling is a promising way to deal with so called hard to recycle plastics like wrappers and bags, which can't be recycled using conventional methods. But a new report from the nonprofits Beyond Plastic and the International Pollutants Elimination Network or IPN, says chemical recycling is a dangerous deception that will only exacerbate pollution and environmental injustice while failing to address the plastic crisis. The landscape of chemical recycling is littered with pollution and failure, and relying on it is a end quote, unreliable and polluting approach to resolve the plastic the global plastic crisis, the deputy director of Beyond Plastics said, and she and the report co authors called on President Joe Biden to place a national moratorium on new chemical recycling options in the US and urged international negotiators to disavow the process as part of the Global Plastics Treaty that will be discussed during a third round of negotiations in Nairobi later this month.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they went to I forgo to talk about global plastic solutions. I find that to be ridiculously ironic in and of itself.
Speaker 2: But never mind, Well, at this moment, because China doesn't want to take our trash, maybe we can ship it to Africa.
Speaker 3: Now, ah, you already see where it's going. Because never mind us solving the problem, Let's find someone else to fucking outsource the problem too. I swear to God, the Boomers anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, once once you've already you know, committed to all the slave labor with the mining, maybe we can just dump all of our trash into the mining ports. Essentially, why not.
Speaker 3: You know, it's Africa. It's like, no, dude, no, no, no, we could just fix the problem, like y'all could just stop doing this shit.
Speaker 2: But anyway, beyond plastics and ipens, one and fifty nine page report begins with an overview of the plastic pollution crisis in companies undeniable failure to address it through conventional recycling methods. According to the Department of Energy, the US plastics recycling rate is still only about five percent, despite decades spent trying to scale it up.
Speaker 3: Or how earlier I said, like the best year we got to nine percent on average, dude, it's somewhere between five to seven. Like that's that's just how it goes.
Speaker 2: Notably, this view is supported in a foreword by Lewis Freeman, a former vice president of Government Affairs for the Society of Plastics Industry, a major lobbying group that in twenty sixteen changed its name to the Plastics Industry Association. According to Freeman, the plastics industry has long known that recycling couldn't realistically manage a significant amount of plastic waste, but has spent millions of dollars convincing the public otherwise. Freeman implies that chemical recycling is an extension of this deception and raises doubts that it will contribute to an industry target of end quotes reusing, recycling, or recovering one hundred percent of plastic packaging in the US by twenty forty. That's laughable.
Speaker 3: That is now. It's a great goal. It's a great goal to set, but you already know that it's a goal that cannot be achieved. Period. But you're going to spend millions, if not billions of dollars to save this multi trillion dollar industry every year, and you're just going to lobby your little ass off in DC to where laws can be passed, not talking about regulations. If anything, it's deregulating these plastic industries. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, the Plastics Industry Association did not respond to Grist's requests for comment of Shocker to assess the state of chemical recycling in the United States beyond plastics, and IPIN and IPEN looked at the countries eleven chemical recycling facilities and found that only three are dedicated exclusively to producing feedstocks for new plastic products. The rest produce fuel to be burned, sometimes in combination with chemicals for industrial use. Four facilities are registered with the Environmental Protection Agency as generators of hazardous waste, and seven of them are located in areas where there is a higher than average concentration of people of color.
Speaker 3: Of course, again shocker how that one plays out right.
Speaker 2: This trend aligns with a pattern of environmental injustice within the plastics industry, which has concentrated pollution intensive plastic production facilities near black and low income communities in Louisiana, Texas and Pennsylvania. Oh, three of the states that I've lived in. That makes sense. I'm just saying those are the three, Ain't it fucking shocker? Meanwhile, the report finds that most of the facilities are working only at a pilot or demonstration scale and not at full capacity, despite efforts dating back to the nineteen eighties to scale up chemical recycling technologies. Even if these eleven facilities were processing as much as much plastic as they say they can, beyond plastics and ipen estimate that they would only go through four hundred and sixty thousand metric tons of plastic waste per year, which is less than one point three percent of the amount generated in the US annually.
Speaker 3: So best case scenario, they can only go for a fraction of a drop into the metric bucket of what's going on here, and they're only operating at a ooh, look what we can do type of scale. They're not running at full tilt.
Speaker 2: These findings are consistent with those of other nonprofits and media outlets. A twenty twenty one Reuter's investigation, for example, found that thirty chemical recycling projects announced by twenty four companies were either still operating on a modest scale or it closed down with or while more than half were years behind schedule. A more recent investigation into one facility in North Carolina found that much of the plastic processed was disposed of as a toxic waste, despite advertisements claiming it to be an environmental success story.
Speaker 3: So real quick, you know we're going to talk about contamination here in a moment, but that is what they classify as toxic waste. You've heard the theory about like don't throw, don't recycle, greasy pizza boxes, because that's contamination. We talked about this before. Do you know what they do whenever they find one greasy pizza box in the recycling truck, the entire truck is considered contaminated and it all goes to a toxic waste landfill. Now, let's just say that your house recycles responsibly, right, your one house does it the right way. Let's say you're street all recycled a correct way. What are the chances that every single bin that that recycling truck is going to pick up that day, every single person is doing it to that level, washing out their uh, peanut butter jars, rinsing out their coat cans after they're done drinking them, and that that truck is going to be one contaminated.
Speaker 2: Well, and this is where you find the scam out right here, because they didn't educate people on that. Like I didn't know that, literally, I didn't know that. You know, even a pizza box was contaminated and not not able to be recycled if it had a bit of grease on What pizza box doesn't have a bit of grease on it?
Speaker 3: Exactly exactly, So the smallest bit of food contamination. The entire truck is considered contaminated. So even though you are doing your part in recycling and trying to help in all this, that doesn't mean that your neighbor or some guy two neighborhoods down that's also on that same recycling truck is doing it to that level. So all of your efforts end up in the same fucking landfill as if you were to just throw it in the trash well.
Speaker 2: And that's the trap right there, because they know that they don't even really care to educate the public on that. And and that's the thing. If you really cared, you would educate the public on what contamination is and what contamination isn't, right, because those people would be at least the people who are super into recycling, those people would be a little bit more of the mind to put that in another bin, right, because there are a lot of people out there that genuinely care about recycling. There's nothing wrong with that. I think it's a beautiful thing. We should be caring about that if it actually worked. But that's the thing doesn't in all of this, dude, the plastics themselves most cannot be recycled, but they won't educate you on that, right. The glass bottles and the mason jars and the metal, the tin cans, all that these can be recycled, and most of them do get recycled because it's actually economically sound for you to do so. Plastics are the main issue here, and of course they're not going to educate you on it because they don't care.
Speaker 3: It's going to the landfill anyway, or it's gonna get burned.
Speaker 2: They never cared in the beginning, which is why they never cared to educate anybody on it. It's just hey, you know, like that, And that's that's really the the the brilliance behind all of it in the first place is that it's it's almost a fail safe if you think about it, that no matter what the corporations or the people that are worried about carbon taxing, or the people worried about pollution and people worried about you know, littering and all that stuff, they always have a fallback option to blame the public because you're never going to get one hundred percent of people to do what is right. It's never going to happen. People even if they believe that littering is a bad thing. If they're being told what to do and they don't care about the system, or if it's fucked the system, You're never going to get one hundred percent of people to do one thing.
Speaker 3: It's dude, look a shopping card example. I always give one hundred percent. That is a clear sign that even though you can see what you need to do and there are others that are doing it, you'll watch people say fuck it. That's the thing.
Speaker 2: And I actually recently heard and I think there was actually a good cult member that said it on the live show. And then somebody else recently told me too that because I asked them, I was like, do you do you? You know, I asked the weird questions whenever I'm talking to people, like do you always push the buggy back to the to the cardholder? And they're like, honestly, no, I don't. And my reason is is because I'm a single mom, I have two kids. I'm not walking away from my fucking car to go push this into the card holder and leaving my kids by themselves. I'm like, that's actually logical, it makes sense.
Speaker 3: I get it. I'm not judging those that do. I'm just or don't Rather I'm just saying that that's a clear sign that you will never get one hundred percent of people to get on board with any fucking thing. Ever, There's always gonna be outliers, there's always gonna be reasons, there's always gonna be exceptions, there's always gonna that that doesn't fucking matter. It's all a part of it.
Speaker 2: I mean, even think about because what is it like not even fifty percent of like voters or people that can vote vote every year, right, And it's like, and those people will complain about the economy, they'll complain about policies, they'll complain about abortion or whatever the fuck, but then they don't even show up. And I understand why because I don't think that our vote really gives a fucking I don't think it even makes a difference, to be honest with you, at this point, you know, the the one possible white horse that we is covering up Epstein fucking Island. Okay, So I mean I get it, but it's like, yeah, you're never gonna get one hundred percent of people to do one thing. That's never gonna ever happen.
Speaker 3: Ever, there's always gonna be somebody to do the opposite, just to do the opposite because fuck them.
Speaker 2: Oh dude, It's just like, you know, we have certain listeners who listen to every single episode, yet after at the end of every episode leave a review telling us about how much we suck.
Speaker 3: It's like, why are you still listening? You know?
Speaker 2: Like, but people just love to complain, and they love to not even just complain, they just want to be adversarial at that time.
Speaker 3: I should mention that too. I over the weekend, I went to the Spotify and I was kind of reading some of the comments on some of the episodes. Y'all are some assholes, not just to us. They have people fighting each other in the comment section under our videos or under our episodes, I should say, And it's like, Bro, everybody's in sale to their opinion. People have the to be wrong. It's okay, but like, y'all ain't gotta be y'a ain't gotta be shitty to nobody. Y'all have to be shaded us, although we open ourselves up to that conjecture, and like, that's a part of it. You chalk it up to the game. Y'all ain't gotta be shitty to each other. Play nice, let's be let's be homies about it.
Speaker 2: Come on, now, Well, there's a lot of people that you know are keyboard warriors and they hide behind a screen and they would never say that to anybody in public, and they would never say, you know, they would never cuss out either one of us or anybody that they're you know, attacking in the comments. But you know, because you have the defense guard right up in front of you all, I'm gonna come with the name of Needle Dick sixty nine, and nobody's ever gonna know that it's me, you know what I mean. And so I don't know, I mean, modify comments, be wild, whatever, it's fine.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it's whatever. But anyway, way back to the point here, so they already knew that there's no way they're gonna be able to recycle to that level. And you're right as far as the education goes, even if you were to inform the public, how many people would actually do it anyway?
Speaker 2: And that's what I'm saying. You can always the system was never set up to clean the atmosphere, to clean the earth or anything. The system was always set up to push blame onto anybody. But the people that are producing.
Speaker 3: It exactly, because again it's your fault that the company. Never mind the fact the company name name, the one doesn't matter, Coke, Pepsi, whatever. It's not their fault that they're producing five hundred tons of non recyclable trash that they know is going to end up in the ocean every week. That's not the point you or the problem for buying it. That is your fault. You did this, random citizen who's mining their own business. You should feel guilty about the earth dying.
Speaker 2: Well, and you saw it. You know. The people that are part of these lobbyist organizations are Coke, r Pepsi, are Anheuser Busch, which are like the main contributors, right.
Speaker 3: Yep, oh yeah, and again we're gonna get back to this article now. But they've known that from the beginning, and they did it strictly to shift the blame away from them so that the people got more regulations on what they can and can't do. Meanwhile, their industry got less restrictions and less laws telling them that they couldn't do certain things. But let's keep going.
Speaker 2: The only thing that actually the only thing actually being recycled is the myth that recycling will solve the plastic pollution crisis. The new report says it raises concern about a spate of state level laws backed by the American Chemistry Council what a name, an industry lobbying group to promote chemical recycling, including by loosening airror emission controls and eliminating monitoring requirements. At least twenty states have passed such deregulation laws. Well, that's good, as the American Chemistry Council did not respond to Grisk requests for comment obviously. A spokesperson for Altero, which operates a chemical recycling facility in Akron, Ohio, said the report was riddled with many misleading and erroneous conclusions, and specifically described as defamatory the claim that its facility was nearing the limits of its air emissions permit while operating at below full capacity. The company said Beyond Plastics conveniently ignored publicly avoid publicly available documents from a local air quality regulator showing that its facilities emissions are significantly below the limits of the air emissions permit. So Beyond Plastics said Altera's criticism was not based on fact, and that the documents the company provided do not negate previous findings showing that its facility had nearly violated its air emissions permit and that the Ohio EPA decided on two occasions not to take enforcement action against it. We stand on our report, said Judith and Beyond, Plastic president and former regional administrator of the oh Of course she was former fucking regional administrator for the EPA. These locks, they bounced back and forth. Well, we're going to work for the EPA, we really care. Well, let me let me be a lobbyist for a fucking plastic company.
Speaker 3: Now, this is interesting. This is the thing.
Speaker 2: You know, we say it all the time with Plastic. You know people that are working for Pfizer then they go and work for the who. It's like, that is how you infiltrate. That is infiltration one oh one. You're shaping public perception into into making people believe that organizations like you know, these these plastic lobbyists are are fighting for the good and fighting for earth. Meanwhile they're jumping back over the EPA making it seem like they actually give a shit. Well, if every if you have the EPA and you have corporations, and you have lobbyists, that are all pro earth and pro atmosphere and all this stuff. How is it possible that every single fucking landfill is overly full? How is it possible that there is a giant floating plastic island in the middle of the ocean twice the size of Texas if everybody truly cared? How is that fucking is all that uh littering growing?
Speaker 3: It's crazy? You can maybe do this thing where you follow the money, right, It's really easy to draw. You don't have to put pins on a corkboard. You don't even have to do that. It's literally a Google search followed by a Google search followed by the holy shit here we are. Just follow the money trail and it will always lead you to the truth. These people don't actually give a fuck, and they're gonna tell you, oh, we are well below the permissible limits, and this, this and this. Meanwhile, the reports that they all the publicly available documents that they released show that they are literally right at the cusp of being out of compliance and they are not operating in full capacity. You can you could try to sell that and spend those words any way you want. But that's just the facts.
Speaker 2: Beyond plastics said Altera's criticism was not based on fact and that the documents. Oh I already read that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Another operator, Nexus Circular sent Grist snippets of its websites FAQ page describing the chemical recycling process, and third Exon Mobile said chemical recycling was a proven, scalable technology to turn plastic ways that would otherwise go to a landfill or incineration into valuable new products.
Speaker 3: Oh, Exon Mobile knows that right. I mean, even if you were to find a facility where you can scale it and all these things, it is literally the same conversation as the wind turbines. There is no way that that wind turbine is going to produce enough power to compensate for the amount of energy it took to construct it. There is no way that you're going to get these plastics to even to be used as a fuel source and produce enough energy from burning that fuel source as it took to create the fuel source in the first place. It is a net negative overall.
Speaker 2: Well, and that's the thing, Like, I don't want to hear from Exon Mobile telling me that it is a scalable technology that would work. I don't want to hear from the people that stand to gain from pushing this kind of idea. I want to hear from the people who are are the ones that are vetting it, the ones that are investigating it, the ones that are actually you know, outside people looking at it from a different point of view that don't necessarily have anything to gain. Problem is, there isn't anybody like that.
Speaker 3: It doesn't exist, right, you.
Speaker 2: Know, the lobbyist lobbyists work for the companies, they always will.
Speaker 3: The EPA.
Speaker 2: We just saw right there the fucking person that was working for the lobbyist organization used to work for the EPA and just bouncing back and forth.
Speaker 3: This is all just a fucking game to these people. Now, I know someone's gonna say that, Well, maybe they were working for the EPA because they really believed in what they were doing right, and they wanted to make it better. And then when they saw that they couldn't do it that way, they decided to go with this Beyond Plastics group, which is a group trying to stop the use of the plastics and all these things, and that's why they just got disgusted with the organization of it. So they started and went for this other thing. And I could maybe see that in some cases, but again, follow the money and it paints a different picture.
Speaker 2: Pure Cycle, which runs a polypropylene purification plan in Iron Town or Ironton, Ohio, disputed Beyond Plastics characterization of the plant's processes as chemical recycling. Six of six of the other seven companies whose chemical recycling facilities are named in the new report did not respond to Risk regrests for comment. Prima America Corporation, which operates a chemical recycling facility in New Hampshire, could not be reached because it does not have a website or a publicly listed phone number. Shocker, that sounds like a shell organization if I've ever heard one, or just those that really don't want to have a conversation about it.
Speaker 3: I get that right.
Speaker 2: To stop greenwashing and prevent chemical recycling from further harming low income communities and communities of color, Beyond Plastics and IPEN call for Biden to declare a moratory on all new chemical recycling plants, a step to environmental groups had previously suggested the President can take without congressional approval. They also recommended that all existing facilities to be subjected to full environmental impact assessments. From the EPA. All federal, state, and local subsidies and incentives for chemical recycling should be ended, the author said in no projects that turn plastic into fuel should be allowed.
Speaker 3: I got to agree with that for the most part, because again it's a net negative and it actually adds more to the toxicity conversation rather than it adds to the reusable plastics conversation.
Speaker 2: The toxicity avocity glove system. On the international stage, countries are in the midst of negotiating a historic treaty on plastics. There's nothing in the treaty yet about chemical recycling. It's still a very rough draft, but beyond plastics and IPEN says it's critical that that negotiatesator's fight for language that explicitly labels it an illegitimate solution to the plastic pollution crisis, potentially by classifying it as waste incineration rather than recycling, or by blocking it from counting toward mandatory recycling targets. The third round of negotiations is scheduled to begin on November thirteenth, with the final treaty due to do by the end of next year. We do not want the treaty negotiators or legislators or regulators to be distracted by the false solution of chemical recycling, and told journalists on Tuesday, Instead, she urged them to consider the simpler strategy of significantly reducing plastic production.
Speaker 3: There you go. There it is. This is the lady that used to work for the EPA. Right now she's working for Beyond Plastics, and she's saying that there's a different way to go about this and we need to just handle it right now. That article brought up the ACC, which is the American Chemicals Council. For decades, the ACC has led us to believe that recycling is the answer, right, that's clearly what we got to do to save the planet. But it was all a lie. In the US, plastic recycling rates, like I said, have never gone above nine percent, and on average they're more like a five percent. And that was back when recycling mint outsourcing it to China. Right now those rates are even lower, and it's disgusting. The ACC has even gone as far as to take legal action against those who would have disclosed documents relating to the truth about recycling. They have literally sent people to court to silence them because they knew from day one that recycling was not a scalable concept when it came to plastics, and they ran with it. Anyway. To further that point, we're talking about recycling and contamination, right, because what does and does not constitute a contaminated recycling sample? Right? This is an article from Rubicon, And if you don't know what Rubicon is, it's a plant that makes plastics. It's a contributor. And of course they're trying to educate the public by releasing these types of documents. Right.
Speaker 2: So there's in Louisiana, isn't there?
Speaker 3: There is? And it's one of the nastiest fucking plants to work at. Ever, I will never step foot on that facility again as long as I live. It's gross and it's nasty shit that like will kill you if there's a leak, it's it's yeah, in your business, I'm sorry. If your business recycles, there's a good chance that you're familiar with the term recycling contamination. But what is recycling contamination? And why does it matter? Hillary Clinton? Why does that matter? How does it impact your sustainability efforts? And how can we prevent recycling contamination? As it turns out, the problem of recycling contamination can easily be reduced. Here is everything you need to understand about recycling contamination, including common contaminants and how you can move your planet towards a more circular environment or economy. Okay, so what is recycling contamination? Recycling contamination occurs when materials are sorted in the wrong recycling bin placing a glass bottle into a mixed paper cycling bin, for example, or when materials are not properly cleaned, such as when food residue remains on a plastic yogurt container. Yes, because you're supposed to thoroughly rinse out your yogurt cup before you recycle it. Otherwise the entire truck gets thrown into the lamp fill. But anyway, This is sometimes referred to as aspirational recycling, as you're simply throwing something into the recycling on the hope that it will find its way to where it needs to eventually go. Unfortunately, this is rarely the case. For instance, if you're collecting a material for recycling, anything other than that specific material could be considered a contaminant when disposed of improperly. Example would be like in the wrong recycling container. Even recyclable materials such as plastic and other paper products, can act as contaminants. The changes of recycling after a I'm sorry, the challenges of recycling after a natural disaster point to an extreme form of contamination. For example, if someone throws plastic into an occ or cardboard stream, this would be considered recycling contamination because of its incorrect disposal. There's a strong possibility it's rejected and sent to the landfill, resulting in a wasted recycling effort. Altogether, yes, this is correct. The only time it's okay to comingle or mixed recyclables together is when you have an agreement to do so with your recycling service provider. It's worth noting that recyclables can contain residues such as food waste, oil, and grease, and unless stated otherwise by your recycling company, are considered contaminants and should not be added to your recycling stream. So if you already have that agreement with your recycling company, you are going to pay through the nose because now the recycling group has to hire people to separate it at the recycling plant, rather than you setting it apart and doing it on your end. So it's just money over money for shit that's probably going to the landfill any damn way. Now, the type of recycling contamination contain a contaminant like plastic bags, plastic bags and I'm made from plastic materials such as shrink wrap, bubble wrap, plastic bags, newspaper bags, trash bags, et cetera. Are the worst recycling contaminator of all. And keep in mind we read earlier that these things cannot be recycled. Just throwing this out.
Speaker 2: Can they not be recycled? But they contaminate everything that can be recycled exactly exactly.
Speaker 3: It's telling you to keep them out of the bin to save sorders at your local recycling facility a huge amount of extra removal work while also saving their machines the hassle of getting clogged. And also, since we're on the plastic bag conversation, I'm just gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that the vast majority of people that have a trash can in their home has a plastic bag inside of it, called a trash bag.
Speaker 2: Wow, good point. I'm just trying to think critically, not contaminate everything that you throw out.
Speaker 3: Then, well, that's the thing that's a trash bag, right, so that's going to the landfill any damn way. But by doing that, you're still adding to the pollution conversation. So it's already right off the rip, a completely defunct conversation. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's all just a waste.
Speaker 3: Then at that point exactly contaminant number two food waste. And this is one of the ones that to your point, I feel like they should have educated people about a lot more. But I'll also say it depends on area to area, right, Like certain areas of the country, recycling is like a big thing they do, in fact, teach kids in school how to do it properly. Other areas, like where we grew up, it's just not a conversation, but let's talk about it here. Food waste. Otherwise recyclable items quickly become garbage when they carry the remnants of the food that they once hailed. Some great examples of food waste contamination can be found in paperboard take home boxes full of food and recite uh and the recycl jar or can that hasn't been emptied or rinsed out. It may seem environmentally sound, but paperboard that's used or I think they mean to say, cardboard that's used to carry food usually heads to the landfill. The same can be said for food waste left in recyclable jars and cans, one notable exception being a well scraped peanut butter jar. Who the fuck's doing that? Who is doing that?
Speaker 2: I mean, listen, you got a dog and you want to use it as like one of those cong toys, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: But that's not a thing that anybody's doing. Nobody's rinsing out their yogurt cups before they put in the recycling bin. And if you are doing that, good cult member, listen, good on you. You're actually taking the extra effort to try to do recycling the way. But can you tell me with one hundred percent certainty that everyone down your street or in your neighborhood is doing the same thing, Because if there's one contaminant on the truck, the entire truck goes to the landfill, whether you did all the right things or not. Yeah, now another one contaminant. Number three loose shredded paper, which is biodegradable, I might add, but yes, the most valuable trait of recyclable paper is its long paper fiber This is because long fibers can stand up to multiple recycling cycles. While shredded paper is not a considered is not considered a contaminant as a whole. Loose shredded paper can cause many recycling issues. When shreded paper is mixed in with non shredded paper, it is difficult to recover for recycling at a material's Recovery Facility or MRF. The problem is that the small pieces are The problem is with the small pieces. To fix this, people who want to recycle their shredded paper can simply keep it in a clear plastic bag that can then be kept with their other recyclable items. So we're back to the fucking plastic bag conversation.
Speaker 2: Seems a bit counterintuitive.
Speaker 3: So if my shredded paper is in a plastic bag, why is that not considered contamination? Did I miss something here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seems like we're running in circles now.
Speaker 3: Contaminant number four brightly colored paper. Dan Barrel, a recycling program manager at the University of Colorado at Boulder, explained the problem with brightly colored paper well when he made the analogy of the red sock in the white load the paints that Paint's a pretty good picture of what happens when brightly colored paper manages to spoil a batch of good paper recycling. If the thought of not recycling your colorful paper items crushes you, there may still be away. If you tear the colored paper in question and you see white in the center at it is most often recyclable curbside. If the color dye goes all the way through, then you're unfortunately out of luck. But most colored paper is colored and dyed all the way through. That's a silly thing.
Speaker 2: But okay, yeah, I don't know if I've ever torn a colored piece of paper unless it's like printed on, like if it's like a printed situation. But yeah, if it comes like like a fully yellow sheet or a blue sheet, like, you're not gonna tear it in white b in the middle, right.
Speaker 3: And I mean, for the record, for papers, most newspapers are printed on recycled paper. It's way cheaper to do it that way, like paper like that, and that's why it's done that way. But have you noticed that newspapers, if you like really get up close to it, you see little bits of like red and.
Speaker 2: Blue color colors in it.
Speaker 3: That's why it's recycled and they can buy it for pennies on the dollar rather than paying for like expensive like printer paper and things like that.
Speaker 2: But does you think it looks cooler with all the different colors on there? As a matter of fact, I bought it was like a year ago. I bought these shoes that were made out of recyclable plastic and paper and shit like that. I just thought they looked cool because the recycled like the rubber, it was the recycled part and the rubber was like all these different colors. I was like that shit looks cool to me. But yeah, some people like to be uniform.
Speaker 3: Agreed, agree, I think it looks cool too. It's like that iconic look of newspaper print. But to that point, it's talking about how colored papers may not be recyclable because things and you're putting it all on in a plastic bag and somehow it's not contaminating it with the plastic, but okay, contaminate Number five some beverage cartons. Some municipal programs accept beverage cartons as recyclable, while others may not. When in doubt, you have two options. One, check with your specific municipal recycling programs manager to find out if.
Speaker 2: Cartons are in their yes or no list. And number two, add the cartons to your single stream recyclable since they are easy to separate out regardless of the route you choose. Make sure to keep the tops and lids on the cartons.
Speaker 3: Okay, because otherwise that lid might make it to a different pile and contaminate it.
Speaker 2: You know, wait a second, so you're supposed to keep the lids on. You've always been told to take them off, haven't you? Bro legit? I remember, in like fourth grade, there were people that were working at the recycling center and they said, look, if you can take all the tops off. They because if you don't take the tops off, then we got to be the ones to unscrew them and separate it. Now it's saying that you're supposed to keep it on. I legitmately, dude. Still to this day, I don't throw bottles or milk jugs with the top on it because of that conversation in fourth grade.
Speaker 3: So the reason why they tell you to take it off is because when you compress it, the air gets out of the bottle. Right, It's not like you have to push against pressurized bottles. And I don't mean like pressure like hundreds of psi or whatever, but like a two laer coke bottle that has the top screwed on tightly. It takes more and it takes more space in the truck and all those things. So you want to take it off so it can crush easier. Make sense to me, and to your point. We were always told to take them off and separate them by color, right, keep all the green lids over here, the red lids over here. And that was a whole portion of it. Now they're saying keep the lids on. It's important. You see what I'm saying. It's all bullshit. It's all bullshit.
Speaker 2: This is like the cholesterol conversation all over again. Yes, I just don't know what the fuck to do with it. Contaminant number six the wrong plastics. Some recycling programs might not accept plastics numbers one through seven, which by the way, is all of them, but the final rejection is decided at the sorting facility. Rejection of plastics usually comes down to the type of plastic being recycled and what it wants contained. Food containers are usually okay.
Speaker 3: Wait a minute, didn't they just say that food contaminants are the number one thing, But okay, containers that once held non food items should be checked to determine the type of plastics considered. For instance, the most commonly recycled plastics are number one PET and two HDPE. Plastics three through seven are sometimes recyclable. That is an extremely misleading sentence, good cult members. There is like the mental gymnastics that you have to do to find a scenario where plastics three through seven can be recycled. I'm not saying it's impossible. I am saying there is a greater than zero percent chance that it will actually get recycled. The line of things that has to perfectly line up for that to happen are so minuscule that it is essentially a snowball's chance in hell.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, It's kind of like the old better chance at a camel going through the eye of a needle situation.
Speaker 3: Basically, here, contaminat number seven. Hazardous waste containers for paint, automotive fluids, or pesticides must be disposed of separately, or for some facilities, cleaned out before they can be recycled. Cleaned out. How do you safely clean out automotive fluids and pesticides from a plastic jug. You rinse them out and pour them down your drain to go into our water cycle some mountain the hose outside, and that shit goes into your yard and into the soil. What the fuck we're talking about here, Rubicon, I don't know. I'm just asking the questions. I don't know the answers.
Speaker 2: That's another plastic or petroleum company that is shifting blame to the people that are their consumers.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, it says they need to be cleaned out before they can be recycled. Check with your local recycling and or household hazardous waste program manager to determine the methods necessary to make sure these items can be recycled. Of course, contaminant number eight biohazard waste and diapers. If you're trying to recycle something that has any human fluid on it, don't. Syringes, needles, diapers, and other sanitary products are not recyclable and can potentially be dangerous to handle. Okay, that's fair. I could at least appreciate that. That's fair. Okay, human contaminants. Some's got blood or piss or shit on it. Or puke. Yeah, we don't need to recycle those, Just them away, all right. Numbers nine frozen food containers. Again, they already brought up food a couple of times, but apparently it's a different thing whenever it's frozen. Right though, it is really tempting to put that paper board box, cardboard box from the freezer in the recycling bind don't do it. The shiny exterior coating that those boxes have to prevent freezer burn actually prevents the paper from being recyclable. WHOA, So again, all the stuff that you're thinking that you get from the store, all of the trash that we make, because each person creates three hundred pounds of trash a year. Even if you're trying to recycle this shit that you bought your food from, you probably can't any damn way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no frozen pizza, no TV dinners, no like ready made you know, just warm up kind of food.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well that that pretty much cancels almost everything out then at.
Speaker 3: That point, right And then number ten unrinsed or metal capped glass before you recycle, recycle that wine or beer bottle, give it a quick rinse in the excess liquid cannot contaminate other papers in the recycling and render them non recyclable. Metal caps on glass containers simply need to be put in the bin separately from the containers at the top.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let me just go ahead and get shit faced and then remind myself that I need to take the beer bottles over to the sink, rinse them out, and then place them into the recycling bin. Who the fuck's gonna do that, right?
Speaker 3: Exactly? And of course they're trying to get out the information here it says recycling contamination statistics and prevention. It's saying that luckily we're not all doomed to contaminate recyclables. The three steps that will put you on the road to preventing this is over communicate, keep them separated, and keep it clean. Doing these three things will make the recycling process more efficient, and you will increase the value of what you send your local facility. With your new found knowledge of contamination, you can help save the planet. Yeah, because we know that that's what recycling centers are doing, even though we just learned that that's not the case. The next time you make that trip to the recycling bent, ask yourself, have you helped prevent contaminants. Again, it's gotta be on you, all about you. Never mind the fact that Rubicon makes these chemicals in the first place. No, no, no, it's on you consumer only you can fix it.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, dude, this is hilarious.
Speaker 3: It's it's pretty crazy. Now it all goes to a landfill at the end of the day, especially now now that China's not taking the trash anymore. They're trying to find ways to make fuel out of it. Again, it's not very efficient. It's being done not to scale it's doing it's being done more as a show, like a science fair project right now. It's not I don't see the technology getting there anytime soon because there's way too much money in turning crude oil into virgin plastics for their single use so that they can be disposed of. It's cheaper, So why would we stop that? Right now? Let's talk about what green washing is. That's the thing we've heard mention a few times here. Greenwashing definition, how it works, examples and statistics. So what is greenwashing?
Speaker 2: Greenwashing is the process of conveying a false impression or misleading information about how a company's products are environmentally sound. Greenwashing involves making an unsubstantiated claim to deceive consumers into believing that a company's products are environmentally friendly or have a greater positive environmental impact than they actually do. In addition, green washing may occur when a company attempts to emphasize sustainable aspects of a product to overshadow the company's involvement in environmentally damaging practices performed through the use of environmental imagery, misleading labels, and hiding trade offs. Greenwashing is a play on the term whitewashing, which means using false information to intentionally hide wrongdoing, error, or an unpleasant situation in an attempt to make it seem less bad than and it actually is.
Speaker 3: Okay, now, we're not going to read the entire thing, but I did definitely wanted to read these key takeaways here. Green Washing is an attempt to capitalize on the growing demand for environmentally sound products. Green Washing can convey a false impression that a company or its products are you know, environmentally conscious or friendly. Critics have accused some companies of green washing to capitalize on the social responsible on the socially responsible or environmental social or governance investigate investing movement and genuinely green products or businesses back up their claims with facts and details. That's essentially like the overarching key takeaways here. But we can do this, how does green washing work?
Speaker 2: So, in essence, green washing is just another term for bullshitting.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, exactly, like whitewashing or telling a white lie, whatever you want to say. Greenwashing is when a company does that to scale when it comes to the environment. All right, Like, how many of these companies that we heard, Oh, well, you can't touch us. We just paid all of these carbon credits. We're doing our part. So you've done nothing. You paid the government extortion fee, and you've done nothing to actually help the environment. That's the whole point of you getting these fines in the first place.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, in order to be able to pay for all of those carbon tax credits and stuff, all they're doing that's not gonna be coming out of their pocket. They're gonna raise the price on their products to make the consumers essentially pay that carbon tax for them. Absolutely, that's why it's all. It's all a fucking scam, it's all a joke. It is all just like, look, we're doing the right thing, and if something doesn't work, or you know, if we cause global warming, which I don't believe that either, but let's just say that if there is a global warming or a climate change situation, they're gonna put it on the people as they already have, and they're never gonna take any accountability because it's always everybody else's fault. This is what is that called not a nihilist a person who always blamed somebody else victim mentality essentially. Yeah, yeah, just like.
Speaker 3: Oh uh oh shit, you're talking about a N word.
Speaker 2: Narcissists. Yeah, I couldn't think of the word. This is industrial scale narcissism exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So how greenwashing works? Also known as green sheen, green washing is an attempt to capitalize on the growing demand for environmentally sound products, whether that means they are more natural, healthier, free of chemicals, recyclable, or less wasteful of natural resources. The term originated in the nineteen sixties, when the hotel industry devised one of the most blatant examples of green washing. They placed notices in hotel rooms asking guests to reuse their towels to save the environment. The hotels enjoyed the benefit of lower laundry costs, of course. More recently, some of the world's biggest carbon emitters, such as conventional energy companies, have attempted to rebrand themselves as champions of the environment. Products are green washed through a process of renaming, rebranding, or repackaging them. Greenwashed products might convey the idea that they're more natural, wholesome, or free of chemicals than competing brands. Companies have engaged in greenwashing green washing via press releases and commercials touting their clean energy or pollution reduction efforts. In reality, the company may not be making a meaningful commitment to green initiatives. In short, companies that make unsubstantiated claims that their products are environmentally safe or provide some green benefit are involved in green washing.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. This art goes from Investipedia, by the way, and I'm not going to read the whole thing, but I definitely wanted to read that section of it real quick. Hold on, there was one more thing that I wanted us to touch on.
Speaker 2: Whereas right here, this is where the green washing came in.
Speaker 3: Well, okay, let's see. Let's see green washing groups. Here we go. Let's talk about some groups that were big into the green washing thing.
Speaker 2: The perception the plastic is easily recyclable and that the burden of recycling lies solely with the consumer has been shaped by decades of carefully constructed campaigns paid for by many of the most prevalent producers of plastic. If you are alive in the seventies, chances are you're familiar with the Crying Indian ad from the environmental nonprofit organization Keep America Beautiful. The ad featured a Native American man crying over the destruction of his homeland from visitors reckless littering. It was a compelling and effective visual. However, if you take a look at the organization's board members, you'll find representatives from Dow Chemical Company, PepsiCo, Coca Cola, and Nesley companies that all rely on the production of single use plastic. If anything, this fact alone should challenge the intention behind the organization's altruistic campaign. By shifting all blame of the plastic crisis to the consumer, manufacturers are free to keep producing plastic. Pri Then there's an organization called the Recycling Partnership, which sounds promising. The Recycling Partnership has a nice name, but the company is actually funded by Dow, Exon Coke, and Amazon. One of this organization's board member or board representatives also is a member of the American Chemistry Council, an industry group that represents plastic manufacturers. Note also that following publication, the Recycling Partnership reached out to me with a statement from their CEO about their work as it relates.
Speaker 3: To this article. Interesting.
Speaker 2: A concerning detail about the Recycling Partnership is that it supports the EPR policies in New York. In New York Government Governor Kathy Hokel's budget, as detailed in my earlier conversation with anc or INNC, Hocal's proposal allows for chemical recycling and fails to make any packaging reduction requirements, as opposed to an alternate bill from Assemblyman Steve Engelbright, which reject x chemical recycling and will require a fifty percent reduction in plastic units over ten years. But the main concern surrounding Hochel's EPR proposal is who will make the decisions about what types of materials will be recycled and at what rate. A lot of companies want that want the legislature to authorize the establishment of a producer Responsibility organization or PRO where they have complete control over everything. Unfortunately, many pros lack oversight and will ultimately develop the most inexpensive, ineffective EPR possible. Of course, and once again, these types of environmental actions are simply a band aid over a much larger wound. And as they point out, combating the plastic problem requires a mindset shift from believing recycling will solve the problem to finding legitimate ways to reduce the production of plastic, and that means companies need to be held accountable for the environmental impacts of their products.
Speaker 3: Absolutely right, yep. So this is all kind of how this goes down. It's all lobbying, it's all. It's all bullshit to virtue signal you into feeling like you're the problem. But you can help by recycling, even though again through contamination or the fact that even though there's a recycling logo on the plastic, the vast majority of them are not recyclable, Like, there's no way that this is actually even if you do it all the right way and you rinse them out and do whatever, most of them are going to a landfill any fucking way. That's just the way this goes down. So there are ways or there is a type of recycling that actually does work. Okay, and it's not plastics. Metal recycling. We're not going to read this whole article, but essentially, metal recycling is the process of recovering scrap or waste metal and repurposing it for new products. Metal recycling can be done with a variety of metals, including aluminum, copper, iron, steel, and brass. The recycling process helps to preserve our now resources and save energy that would otherwise be needed to produce new metal products from scratch. So think about when World War two broke out, everybody was rationing their shit. There was a copper ration, there was a steel ration. Make sure you turn into your illuminum cans for the war effort, all these things, because these things are recyclable at scale, Like the infrastructure's already there, the can production place Campbell's chicken soup. Campbell's right, they already have the manufacturing facility for the cans. I didn't even do anything on my fingers to make those balloons happen out for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and what was it over like in England where they were taken down all the church bells for bullet casings and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: My point is they already have the manufacturing facility to do this. It's not some new technology. It's literally what they already used to make the can. They can either a wash the can out and reuse it, or b remelt the can and then reform it into a new can. It's not a one hundred percent, but you will get out damn near one hundred percent of the material you put into that machine when a new can is produced. Metal recycling is worthwhile and should be done preserve the resources. I'm with that. Another version of this is glass is all glass recyclable? Unpacking the myths and facts. These are from two separate articles. The overview who overview of it is. While glass is widely regarded as a recyclable material, not all glass products are created equal. Various types of glass from beverage containers, who decorative items have different recycling potentials based on their composition and local recycling capabilities. Understanding these distinctions is crucial for consumers who wish to make informed decisions about their waste disposal and contribute positively to recycling efforts. Moreover, the recycling process itself plays a significant role in determining whether glass can be effectively reused. Factors such as contamination, color, and the presence of additives can hinder the recycling journey, making it essential to know what can and cannot be recycled. As we navigate the intricacies of glass recyclability, we uncover the importance of proper disposal practices and the impact they have on have on I guess recycling was the thing of that. Now types of glass and their recyclability okay, container glass, flat glass, fiberglass, and ceramic and pyrex Now container glass. This includes bottles and jars that are commonly recycled most curb cyber recycling programs except these flat glass windows, mirrors, and glass doors. They fall into this category, and although recyclable, flat glass often requires special processing which not available in all recycling facilities, So sometimes you can recycle it, sometimes you can. Fiberglass use an insulation and boat construction. Fiberglass is challenging to recycle due to its composite nature and is typically sent to landfills. And then they're ceramic and pyrecs. These materials are not recyclable with standard glass and can contaminate recycling streams if mixed with recyclable glass, and they have a process where basically it's a five step solution with recycling glass collection, sorting, cleaning, crushing, and melting. That's why some glass isn't recyclable, like they said color like, you can't take a bunch of green glass and crush up and melt it with a bunch of clear glass and get the same thing. But typically if you separate it out and do things the right way, most glass that we deal with on a day to day basis is recyclable. So here's a list of the ones that are and are not recyclable. Clear, green and brown glass bottles i e. Beer Bottles are commonly accepted at recycling centers. Food and beverage containers such as jars and bottles that hailed food and drinks are usually recyclable. And again, window glass is generally recyclable, but may require specific specific processing. Non recyclable glass ceramics and porcelain. These materials cannot be recycled due to the different melting points. Crystal glass often contains lead, complicating the recycling. Light bulbs require special disposal methods and are not typically accepted in curb cyber recycling timber glass. It's used in safety applications and cannot be recycled with regular glass. So as far as this goes with the education of all the good cult members, I felt like it was our job to do our due diligence on that plastics y'all, only type one and two might be recyclable. And then again, are you rinsing out every single coat bottle after you're done with it, before you put it in the recycling bin? God, I'm sure if even if you are, is every person down your street doing that? Highly unlikely.
Speaker 2: Here's what I suggest, And this could take care of the paper industry. It could take care of even the plastic industry. What if instead of using paper and instead of using plastic, make everything hemp. It's already biodegradable.
Speaker 3: They could and it's super cheap.
Speaker 2: I mean, honestly, pete, dude, fucking you eat It is so easy to grow, Like it's one of the easiest things that you can grow. You you get a massive fucking field of it. I mean forget having you know, a massive like cornfield or something like that. If you can just grow the hemp, and I'm not even I mean, fuck it. If you want to sell the bud and make a little extra off the top. That way, just use the actual hemp itself, dude. It's very sturdy, it's it's not going to rip. It's like one of the strongest fibrous materials that that money can buy.
Speaker 3: It's fireproof, it's insect proof, it is extremely sustainable. One acre of it, that per yield goes like you're gonna get so much hemp crete out of it. But there are certain applications where that doesn't doesn't make sense, right. There are certain things where like, Okay, you can't use hemp to replace glass, Okay, fine, she got me there, but you can use it to replace a lot of plastics, like a lot of plastics.
Speaker 2: I mean, I would, I mean even just for I don't even think that we need like like glass bottles, for example, Like you can turn in bud light and cores light and all of them were doing it. Like with the aluminum cans.
Speaker 3: Just fucking make them all illuminum cans.
Speaker 2: At that point, that's always recyclable.
Speaker 3: And I get this, and I'm not disagreeing. I'm saying that coke from a glass bottle tastes better than coke from a plastic bottle. Well, that's just me.
Speaker 2: I mean, sure, there's gonna have to be some things that you kind of dial back.
Speaker 3: On, but that's fair. But I mean, honestly, how often are people drinking coke from a glass bottle? That's like a rarity in our day and age. Yeah, I mean it's not very common now. As far as turning plastic into a fuel source. I got a quick clip that I found that it does a pretty good job. This guy he's doing it basically in his backyard, shouts out to nature.
Speaker 2: Jab, Oh, i've seen this guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a lot of people on TikTok talking about him.
Speaker 3: Now you're gonna understand what I mean by this. So he basically turned plastics into his own homemade gas station. But the amount of heat that's used to make this versus the amount that he's getting out, it's more of a project and it's really cool. It is really cool, but it's expensive to do at scale. But let's watch this again. Good cult members, if you're not seeing this and you're just hearing it, come check us out on Patreon is the only place to see what we're talking about. That's the only place we have video, So anyway, let's watch it.
Speaker 4: So I've created my own gas station that makes fuel from plastic waste. Let's go.
Speaker 2: For those who are just listening, he's tough, stuffing all this trash into like this long aluminum tube of sorts, and he looks like he's about to turn up the gas in order to burn all of it, and then showing how much fuel it it's creating. He's pouring it into a cylinder. Looks a little bit murky.
Speaker 3: So basically, yeah, for those that are just watching or just listening, here, he just shoved a bunch of different plastic bags and bottles and tied detergent containers and all this stuff into this processing unit and he heats it up and he pressurizes it, and he's right now, this sludge is essentially quick made crude oil, right all right, And so it looks like it looks like mud essentially. But then you take this and you can put it into a distillation unit and you can pull off the components of octane and ethane and propane and all these things from it and get diesel from it as well. So all right, real quick, let's keep watching.
Speaker 2: So this is plastic crude oil, and as you can see, we have quite a bit of this plastic crude oil. Well, it can be fueled, but we need to refine it and clean.
Speaker 3: It up so real quick. You saw the size of the unit that he shoved all that into, right, uh yeah, to get out three cups of plastic crude oil. And then you're not gonna get three cups of diesel off of that. You're not gonna get three cups of gasoline off of that. It's like literally a little bit here, a little bit here, a little bit here, a little bit here. And then at the end of it, what do you do with the plastic asphalt, the plastic sludge at the bottom of it, Because at that point you would consider that toxic waste, wouldn't you.
Speaker 2: Ah yeah, I would think that. I mean, you're probably only getting about two miles down the road with that amount.
Speaker 3: Oh not even, not even. But the thing is, yes, it can be done, and we have the technology, but it's not scalable and cost effective at this time. And I am hoping that with more technological advances, perhaps we could find a way to make that cost effective and we could start filling our cars with literally recycled plastics like they did in Back to the Future.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, this is you know, it's all a hope in a dream. But I don't think it's ever going to happen. If you think about it. The corporation stand to lose too much, and if they stand to lose too much, well they're just going to go to other countries, right like, that's what they would do, and then America would just be buying plastics and gasoline and everything that's made from petroleum from other countries. And so that's why it's never going to happen.
Speaker 3: So let me now now that we have given the whole gambit here, and we know the recycling as the overarching theme that has been sold to us for decades now is complete bullshit, complete bullshit. Aside from glass and metals, and in some cases that's not even effective because of contamination. It all goes to landfill plastics themselves, even if it has the recycling logo, the majority of the time those are going to a landfill as well, and up until twenty eighteen, they were going to China and then essentially just getting burned or put into the ocean anyway. So whether we did it or China did it, we feel virtuous even though it's it had the same effect regardless, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So now all of that to be said.
Speaker 3: Here is my own conspiracy on this bro aside from recycling in and of itself, and I talked about this a little bit on the Live. But the facts are the facts here. Crude oil is a known carcinogen. It gives you cancer. There's no two ways about this. It doesn't matter what your genetics are, it doesn't matter how often it gives you cancer. To deal with it, to handle it. Okay. Plastics are pretty much all hydrocarbon and fossil fuel based. This is the facts. And yes, you have to add in other chemical components to turn them into different types of plastic and stuff like that. And I understand this, I do. But the fact that we just watched Homeboy take these plastics and turn them into crude oil, Okay, that tells you that they are hydrocarbon based. They are known carcinogens. I am currently of the belief that plastics are going to be our generation. And when I say our generation, I don't mean millennials, I mean our generation in the grand scheme of human existence. I believe that plastic is about to be our generations lead. Let me break this down for you. They knew that lead was toxic in ancient Rome. Ancient Rome used to use it on all kinds of things, a lot of their aqueducts, a lot of their water. They had cups made of lead, and all these things. And there was a direct correlation between the time when they were using lead for like eating and drinking tools, to when people started losing their minds and emperors started going crazy and murdering their people, and all of these things they knew that so understood and documented. Yet somehow America late eighteen hundreds early nineteen hundreds were using lead pipes in homes and in buildings for water. There's also a very very direct correlation between lead being used in water and the crazy stream of murderers and sex offenders that came to light in the seventies and eighties. There's actually more than a few conspiracy theories to say that these people started losing their minds and going agro and doing all this bad shit because of the lead that they were exposed to as children. Not one hundred percent across the board, but in those specific cases, you could see like you ever hear the old thing. Oh you ate a bunch of paint chips as a kid, didn't you. Right, that's not a baseless statement to make now. To our generation, that means nothing. To the millennials, that means nothing. We never dealt with lead paint, by and large, unless you were like helping your dad tear down an old building or something like that. Growing up, more often than not, we didn't experience this. But our parents' generation and their parents' generation absolutely did. And lead is this thing where your body recognizes it as calcium. There's no two ways about it. As soon as you're exposed to lead it it goes straight to your bones. That's how it happens, and it causes you to go agro and it's never good. There's no upside to it. There's no way to fight it. Once it enters your body. It's in that bitch. That's how it goes. So again, that's a known thing. And they still used it in water pipes, which led to all this bad shit.
Speaker 2: Oh dude, they were using it in fucking like fillings for your teeth. Yes, yes, exactly.
Speaker 3: Now, with that same mentality and knowing all of the lobbyist groups that we just talked about. They're trying to make it seem like plastics are the way of the future. It's on you because you're not doing your part right. It's not our fault from making trillions of tons of plastic trash. That's not the case. Don't worry about the microplastics in your balls? How did they get there? You might ask, how much plastic have you eaten, Jonathan in your life? How many times have you just taken a big old bite out of a coke bottle?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: Never? Actually interesting, But I guarantee if you go to the doctor and have him do a scan, your testicles currently are full of microplastics. How did this happen if we didn't ingest the microplastics?
Speaker 2: Well? Are there micro micro plastics?
Speaker 3: I mean they break down to basically like a molecular level of a plastic, but you can't get rid of it like PVC. Yeah, it can detegrate into a microscopic PVC particle, but you can't get rid of that. It doesn't work.
Speaker 2: It's so like the same situation with like girls on birth control and they pee into the toilet and then eventually that stays within the water supply because the filtration process can't filter the birth control.
Speaker 3: Out kind of. But in this case, I think that we did it to ourselves because we've been drinking from plastic containers our entire life, plastics that are known to be from a carcinogenic source. We know for a fact, there's no two ways about it. Anything crude, oil based derivative thereof whatever is going to give you cancer. We know this for a fact. And like we said earlier, that bottle of Desanni, even though you were the first person to crack it open and drink it, the chemicals leaching into it, the particular microplastics, if you will, have already leached into them by the time you get to it and open it up and drink it. It's already in the water. There's a way to filter that out. It's in there. So we know that plastic is bad for us, we know there's no way to get rid of it, and we know that it's going to give us cancer. Yet how much of our lives right now? Right now, I have a mic stand. It's made of plastic. The microphone components are made of plastic, This mixer is made of plastic. All of this is made from cancer, giving chemicals not causing giving chemicals, and we use them without fail, NonStop because we have no other options for a lot of our components for our modern life. And I am currently of the belief that they knew this and they're doing it anyway. We are going to have so many health issues come through to fruition. How much cancer is there now than there was fifty years ago? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean that's the thing is that a healthy person is not a repeat customer. And especially whenever you and think about it, even like this, dude, a lot of even the medicine that like, they come in the fucking petroleum capsules, right, So literally your medicine is causing a fucking can sir.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, that's that's borderline what I'm saying right here, that there's no two ways about this, but we use it because that's what we have, right. I'm not blaming any of y'all good cult members for using plastics in your life. We all do.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 3: It's the way it is. I drank from a plastic bottle today. As a matter of fact, we all do it probably on a daily basis. You have a plastic cup, you have it, you know, one of those tupperware, plastic cup. You go to McDonald's and you get an extra large it's in a plastic cup. It's what's available. It's everywhere, and it's killing us. Not just us, it's, according to these people, killing the earth and there's no way about it, and it's all going to these trash islands in the middle of the ocean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean at that point, what do you do. You blame it on capitalism, you know, Like, but.
Speaker 3: That's the thing, right, they're saying, we could buy less things, create less trash. Okay, easier said than done for a lot of people. Yeah, if you're living on a self sustaining farm somewhere, you might have a better shot at using less plastics than the rest of us. But even still, your mail, your mail, the paper that it comes in has a little plastic loop where you can read to so and so there's no way to get around it realistically. So yeah, basically good cult members in overarching theme on this one, recycling is a scam and it also doubles as a psyop that they have been using against us since nineteen seventy one. It's pretty incredible. So whenever I found these things out, I simply had to share the news good cult members. I'm sorry to be the one to tell you the bad news on this one, but I simply couldn't hold this to myself.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I mean, what you're gonna do? You know, there's as just the world we live in, and uh, there's no way about it. I mean, the best thing that you can do is try and limit it as much as you can. You know, maybe drink from glass. I mean, glass is usually the best way to drink anything. You know, they say that, you know, even if you're going to keep something stored like leftovers or anything, put it in glass as opposed to the plastic containers. If you're going to drink water, maybe try and find the if you're gonna go to the gas station and get like, they have glass water bottles, like like Perier and Loss I think still does the glass bottles. Yo, everybody's got I'm not just the Simple Life or the Stanley Cup or whatever these things are. There are mugs that you can buy that are metal, that are reusable.
Speaker 3: There's glass you could buy that is reusable, And I'm saying limit the amount of plastic you are, like, minimalize it at an as needed basis only right. And if you are going to recycle, recycle the glasses and the metals, Okay, these are good and they are absolutely transferable in that way. But plastics, I'm not saying one hundred percent it's not worth it. I'm saying ninety eight percent it's not worth Actually, according to the statistics, ninety five percent of it is just not worth it. Paper, yeah, you can recycle it if you want. You probably do better just to go start a fire in your backyard, you know, enjoy it. Fires are fun, cardboard just burn them. It's okay. Don't start a forest fire. Okay, depending on where you live. Some people have burn bands and they can't do fires. And I get that. If you're in an area where you can burn your trash, don't burn the plastics. Burn the paper and the cardboards and do that. If nothing else, They'll save you some room in your trash can when you bring it to the street. I'm just saying, there's we got to start thinking more critically. This is in some public service announcement, But at the same time, all of our good cult members know this, and that's why they think critically. They wouldn't be listening to this show if they were not doing that.
Speaker 2: And also, don't be gas lit by by companies like this. This is the biggest thing. It's like, yeah, everybody can do their own little part and and uh not partaking in all of this plastic, cancerous kind of shit. But you know it's it's inescapable, so just try and try and be mindful. But honestly, we need to be we need to be looking at the lobbyist. We need to be looking at these corporations that are the ones that are creating it in the first place. Whenever they're going to sit there and fucking gaslight you or you got the recycling foundations or whatever that are gaslighting you turn the arrow the other way and just be like, how about stop making it? How about that? You know, like it's so bad, it's so harmful, and we're polluting and we're littering, Stop fucking making it like it. It seems like a pretty obvious answer, but obviously, you know there's gonna be lobbyists that are going to have some clap back with that. And we know how it is, money always wins, I mean where the money goes. That's if you're wondering why we all have plastic in our nutsacks. I mean, it's not necessarily your fault. I mean, that's just it's I mean, I'm not trying to not place blame on the individual, but let's just call it like it is. It's it's really their fault.
Speaker 3: I mean, it really is the same one like lead poisoning. Most of the people that had lead poisoning in the early in the mid nineteen hundreds, they weren't It's not their fault. Lead paint was seen as the best paint. That's why they used it. Now, we could do a whole other episode. Matter of fact, as you're talking about lead, we're gonna do it. There's another episode we're gonna do. We're basically using lead to the level that they did, especially with lead based fuels and things like that. They knew that that was gonna kill you, but they sold it to you anyway, and they had lobbying groups that were right there to sidestep it the whole way through, knowing that there were better additives they could have used, but fuck them. We're gonna talk about that in another episode. But when it comes to the plastics, no, it's not your fault. It's none of our faults. That's what we have to go by. That's what's available to us. And unless you're gonna start your own manufacturing facility just for your own personal use, you're kind of left with what you got, Okay. But yes, the corporations that are doing everything they can to get out of the mandates and the EPA regulations and all of that to continue to toxify not just our error in our water, in our earth, but our physical bodies. They should be held accountable. Will they probably not. They got lawyers or on top of lawyers for their lawyers, and they'll be able to fight the case a lot longer than you will. So we just wanted everybody to be aware of it, start making some better decisions for yourself, to whatever level that looks like for you. I'm not your dad, okay, do you? But yeah, this is a part of it, man, This is how it all goes. And good cult members, if you would like to let us know what you think about this. You think recycling is good and we are completely off base here. You think that it is all Ponzi scheme and it's all fake and possibly gay, and you are happy that you found out this information. Listen, don't just take our words for it. Do your own research. Dig in at your local recycling facility, find out how much of it's actually going to a landfill, how much of it's actually getting recycled properly and reused correctly. There are places that are doing it the right way by my research. It's very few and far between. But we want to hear what you got to say about it. So what you could do at this time not just to let us know, but also help us grow this show would be too please at this time. Hit the five stars, hit the shares of like, subscribes to comments, leave a post and review of shares, a defensive family shareses if we're here's the deal. The more activity the algorithms see across all of our listening platforms, the more we get promoted some more potential listeners who.
Speaker 2: Could that become potential cult members like to us to you, final, ladies and gentlemen, why are you ready? Go check out METAMISTERI Jonathan's other show and give them the same lever respect over there with the five star few in the positivity of the comments. Come check out the Cage to Night and come join each of us for our individual lives every Wednesday night, and.
Speaker 3: We thank you. Everybody's already gone it have done so.
Speaker 2: And with that being said, this was another beautiful episode of the Cult of Conspiracy.
Speaker 3: My Na's Johnson.
Speaker 2: I'm Jacob and there's one very important, extremely botle piece of information we needed to learn just as.
Speaker 3: Soon as humanly possible.
Speaker 2: Hey, members, Jacob here just want to ask who wants better sex? The best way to get started is to go to Adam and Eve dot com Right now. Adam Eve is offering fifty percent off just about any item, but that's not all. When you get one item, they will also send three bonus sexy items and six free movies. They offered a screen shipping as your privacy is a priority. Plus free shipping on your entire order. Doesn't matter how much you spend or what you buy. All we packaged and sent discreetly for free. That's fifty percent off one item and ten free gifts to boot bring more pleasure and satisfaction into your bedroom. Just go to Adam and Eve dot com and select any one item. It could be an adventurous new toy or anything you desire. Just enter the offer code Cult at checkout and you'll get fifty percent off almost any item, plus ten free gifts, three bonus items, six free movies, and free shipping. Use the offer code CULT that see ult at Adam and eve dot com. Now, this is an exclusive offer specific to this podcast, so be sure to use this code to get you not just the discount and the free goodies, but also the one hundred percent free shipping with the code cult