Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Mo Kelly on demand from k if I Am six forty on Wednesdays.
Speaker 2: Model says it short workout, this baptom no word out.
Speaker 3: K if I Am six forty is Later with Mo Kelly and Claudine Cooper. We are live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app on this Wellness Wednesday.
Speaker 4: Claudine's good to see you.
Speaker 3: Let's get into unfortunately these winter blues.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's good to be seen Mo.
Speaker 5: And you did text me earlier and say the weather is acting up. If I don't want to drive, you know, we could catch up next week. However, you notice I said I will not be deterred.
Speaker 2: By a little weather.
Speaker 5: Yes, okay, So that brings me to the seasonal depression, which a lot of people do experience. It's shorter days, it's colder, you're kind of in the house.
Speaker 2: A little bit more.
Speaker 5: Here's the thing with working out as my job, I really don't have a choice. I can't just call forty people and say.
Speaker 2: Hey, guys, you know it's chilly out here, you know it's raining.
Speaker 6: I'm not gonna make it.
Speaker 2: It doesn't work like that.
Speaker 5: So I think my job kind of forces me to go into a very I don't want to say joyful, but a communal space. And one of the things that I think can contribute to seasonal depression is the isolation of being in the house watching your shows and not connecting with a lot of people.
Speaker 2: I really do believe in the power of community.
Speaker 3: When we Because I'm one who will binge watch a show in my downtime and all of a sudden I've lost three or four hours in a given day, let's say it's a Saturday or a Sunday, I am less inclined to then work out, of course, and it may not be mood related, it may not be winter blues, but all the external stimuli or saying sit down on a couch.
Speaker 5: Sure, I'll tell you Saturday afternoon, Sunday afternoon in the gym, those are the low times. And so if that's kind of a time when people are at home chilling, watching their shows and all of that, I suggest doing some movement in front of the TV. You don't have to go into the gym. I do believe there is power in being around people. It does engage us and energize us in ways that.
Speaker 2: Being at home.
Speaker 5: I mean, how many times have you said, yeah, I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna do my workout from home, and then you're at home.
Speaker 3: I well, is that the phone right? Yeah? Oh lit in time, it's time for dinner. But when I say the winter blues, that is a real thing. It's one thing to call it the winter blues, but they do call it seasonal effective disorder. Yes, and some of the symptoms include reduced desire to do things like exercise and socialize.
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, now this is the thing. I'm not telling everybody to join a gym. Although last week we did talk about New Year's resolutions, and I will say this, mo, I have seen a decline in the attendance this week. So oh oh, so the people who were gung ho January first week in January, da da da da da.
Speaker 2: It's tapering off a little bit right now.
Speaker 4: So when it's like National quick.
Speaker 5: Day, I think they say it's like a couple weeks into January.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm seeing it.
Speaker 5: Really, this week has been the first week that things have really kind of slowed down in the gym.
Speaker 3: I think it's a variety of things, and sometimes maybe I get too much of my own head. But since it is winter, since it is colder, since we've had the longest January in the history of my of you know, forever, one.
Speaker 5: Hundred and twenty days of January, it felt like there's something else that I'm remembering.
Speaker 3: In the winter, I'm more inclined to start thinking about people who were no longer here. My father passed in March, my mother's mother passed in the month of March. So you get these annual reminders which may slow you down in many ways.
Speaker 4: Is that unusual.
Speaker 5: I don't know if you know this or not, but what brought me to exercise was my grief journey, and that was something that.
Speaker 2: Took me down.
Speaker 5: Literally, same thing lost a few people back to back. You know how they say it comes in threes, Well, it hit me in threes, and I was in high school at the time, and I just I couldn't get out the bed, and I'm like, I know, I can't be this tired, right, And exhaustion or fatigue is one example of depression. And so once my mom kind of noticed because I lived with my dad at the time, and my mom noticed that, I was like, yeah, I'm just too tired, Dad.
Speaker 2: I don't want to get up. My mom was like, I think you should see someone.
Speaker 5: She knew I had gone through a lot of grief and loss at that time, and so when I talked to the counselor, she basically just looked at.
Speaker 2: Me and said, you're young.
Speaker 5: You are energetic aside from what you're going through right now, because I was in sports and stuff. I did cheer, you know, and she was like, dedicate sixty minutes a day to moving your body and let's see, let's check in and see how you feel. At first, being the teenager that I was who knows everything, I was like.
Speaker 2: I'm not doing that. That sounds crazy.
Speaker 6: All oh, I can't picture that. A teenager who knows everything. They make those but saying that to say, I was like, I'm not doing that. That's that's silly advice.
Speaker 5: And keep in mind, wellness was not trending like it is today that we're talking about nineteen ninety two at this time, and.
Speaker 4: It felt like yesterday.
Speaker 5: But it wasn't, as my kids would say, the nineteen hundreds the last century.
Speaker 2: Way back in the nineteen hundreds.
Speaker 5: I say that to say, eventually I got sick and tired of being sick and tired and I popped a video into the VCR and I didn't like the aerobics instructor, but I did like the workout, so I turned her down and I turned up my own music. And at the time, I was obsessed with West Coast Rap. It had just started kind of really catching on, and so I was listening to NWA, I was listening to ice Cube, I was listening to Too Short, and I was doing.
Speaker 2: My workouts and it was to the video.
Speaker 5: But that's kind of how I got into working out, and that's still my style of instructed.
Speaker 3: I'd like to have some sort of distracting element to workout so I don't have to really think about what I'm doing.
Speaker 4: And it could be.
Speaker 3: Marching in front of my TV, it could be dancing to music in headphones. But yes, I try to sneak in. It's almost like putting a little sugar on top of the medicine.
Speaker 5: And you and I we love music, and I think there's a lot of people who would find that music and movement together do have an element of healing. And if you are grieving, to anyone who's listening, number one, I feel you, and I know how hard it can be to get up. But number two, if you move your body and pair it with music, you will feel better. And trust me on this from experience.
Speaker 3: She's Claudin Cooper. We'll have more with her our nice exercise lady in just a moment. You can find out more about her at Claudinecooper dot com.
Speaker 4: We'll be right back.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI Am six four.
Speaker 3: Days Later with mo Kelly with Claudinecooper. Go to Claudinecooper dot com. You can see all that she does in the community specifically. In fact, she might have a free community workout coming up weather for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yah, drum roll.
Speaker 5: We've taken a couple months off just to, you know, kind of get through football season because, as many people know, I live and work in Inglewood, California, whiches the entertainment, sports and entertainment.
Speaker 4: I don't know how you do it.
Speaker 3: I don't live in Inglewood, but I live Inglewood adjacent and a day in which you might I have to check my caulendar.
Speaker 4: Okay, there's something going on it into it.
Speaker 3: There's something going on it so far, there's something going out. The Kia form YouTube theater, and every once a while there'll be something going on at all of them on a given day.
Speaker 2: And that's a fact.
Speaker 5: And then when those days happen, we have insane traffic. But for the most part at this point, because I work and live in the entertainment area, I just walk, you know, in front.
Speaker 4: Of the other must be nice. I just walk to work today.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is nice.
Speaker 5: And anybody who lives in LA knows that that is like a big luxury to be able to be that close and have no commute.
Speaker 2: Yeah it is.
Speaker 4: It sounds like you're almost like you're taunting me with that while.
Speaker 2: You drive to Burbank from Inglewood adjacent. Oh my goodness.
Speaker 4: Yeah no.
Speaker 5: And I will say this, I've had commutes and I've not had commutes, and I will trade, like, I'll take a pay cut to have less of a commute type of thing.
Speaker 2: You know that it's a quality of life thing.
Speaker 3: Actually, I mean, I could get back three or four hours of my day just by not commuting.
Speaker 4: Oh, I love k if. I don't think otherwise.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying, you know, you love your job.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying that if I took out the commute aspect, I get back at least three hours of my day.
Speaker 5: You know, that's one of the things that I feel like, even though the traffic is tough in Englewood, I do look forward to having a walkable neighborhood, not just for the sports or for my job, but restaurants and things to see and things to do. So I lived in New York City when I was a younger woman, and I truly miss being able to walk everywhere.
Speaker 4: You know, talk about health and wellness.
Speaker 3: When I went to Italy and also Korea, these are societies largely predicated on walking. You walk everywhere, and I noticed I saw nobody who was obese, not a single person. After a while, I was conscious of it, and then you realize, gosh, we're walking five and six miles a day. Yes, it's vacation, but for people. When I was in Italy, it's a way of life. When I was in Korea, it was a way of life. You walked everywhere.
Speaker 5: And you know, walking is still one of the best ways to move our bodies and to stay youthful in how we move because walking is what we're designed to do. The sedentary lifestyle, the sitting in the car or the sitting at the computer or the binge watching. And let's just be clear, I do binge watch too, you know, but I don't have a tremo. I do like to recommend putting out a mat on the floor for fact flexibility and stretching while you're watching. You don't have to necessarily do a workout, but we can improve our flexibility by just doing some stretches in front of the TV.
Speaker 3: That's what I try to do because I don't like stretching. If because if I'm doing dynamic stretching, in other words, trying to increase my flexibility, it's painful, it's uncomfortable, and I would rather take my mind away by just watching TV.
Speaker 4: And all of a sudden, I've been stretching for a good forty minutes.
Speaker 2: Oh that's amazing.
Speaker 5: And honestly, the older we get, the less flexible we become. And I mean that myndrand, body and soul and so to stay flexible is going to require some kind of work and that goes for mind, body and soul. Like I recently decided that I was going to start reading more books again.
Speaker 2: I love to read.
Speaker 3: Do you read, moll I read, but not for the type of enjoyment reading because I'm always having to read the news. I don't do a lot of books. I'll do audiobooks because I'm always rip racing and running. That's the truth, you know.
Speaker 5: And I wanted to carve out some time that was screen free, so I'm not doing it on a kindle. I'm literally opening a book and turning a page and reading so that I can take some time to exercise my mind. And I do feel like the brain also needs a workout. Have you noticed more and more people being diagnosed with dementia and Alzheimer's.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and that's why I try to keep my brain very, very active.
Speaker 2: So what are some ways that you exercise your brain?
Speaker 3: Quizes Teasers, Yeah, trivia where I'm forced to recall things and be able to summon information very quickly, because that's a large part of my job. I may I have to always stay in my train of thought, and it's very fatiguing over the course of a three hour show. I can't lose my train of thought. It happens on very very rare occasions. But part of exercising that brain muscle is always pushing it in different ways.
Speaker 5: So I'm only with you for about you know, fifteen twenty minutes right. I find it difficult to stay on track, and in fact, I've said to you before, like, oh I did it, I stayed on track, I came back right. It is a skill and it does exercise your brain. I have a couple more tips that your listeners might like for exercising their brain as well. One of the ways that I exercise my brain is by not using my GPS to get somewhere, to really have to recall the name of a street, or was I here before? Did I take a right? And I even told Tuala out there. I'm so proud of myself now because I can get to this station from where I live with no GP. And my daughters are always like, so just turn the GPS on for traffic, mom, because we can go a different way if there's traffic. And I say, I just a lot enough time that if I hit traffic, I'll be all right.
Speaker 3: I wonder what kids or young adults would do without GPS today. I know they can't use a Thomas guy, so I mean, I just I wonder how they would function.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 5: My so, my younger daughter recently, she went somewhere and she didn't use her GPS, and she said, you know, mom, I like not using my GPS. I like knowing how to get somewhere. It actually is one of those things that when we have our brain activated, we recognize it too. Even my daughter, who's, you know, a teenager, She's like, hmmm, I like that. And so I feel like that's one way. Another way is also recalling a memory. Right, you spoke a little bit about that, But maybe get together with a friend and say, do you remember when we were on spring break in blah blah blah and see if you guys kind of remember it similarly. So those are just a couple of ways that I use to, you know, exercise my brain.
Speaker 3: You bring up a great point, and we're almost out of time, but it's a great point where as you age, some memories fade yes, and some memories are triggered by just keeping active and stimulating your mind. And when I do listen to music in the car, I may listen to eighties and seventies music because it brings back the flood of memories and feelings and emotions that hadn't had in many years. But music is the closest thing we have to a time machine and you remember exactly what you fad, how you felt, who you were dating, and just like that. So I use that as an active measure to keep my mind, you know, limber as it were.
Speaker 5: Well, speaking of keeping the mind limber, I'm coming back to the free community workout that I was saying that we've and on hold for a couple of months due to football season. Yay, But March first, at nine am, there will be a big free community workout our farmers Market and if you want to come see the gym.
Speaker 4: I didn't mean to get.
Speaker 3: To the Farmer's Market because I usually park over there going to your workout, but I've never had a chance to check it out.
Speaker 4: But I hear great things about.
Speaker 5: Oh so many nice farmers who just bring in the freshest fruits, vegetables, desserts.
Speaker 2: I always get in trouble when I go.
Speaker 3: I see I'm trying to cut back and there you are just dangle it in front of it.
Speaker 4: No, I can't can't eat all those desserts.
Speaker 5: I mean fresh made like bars, cookies, cakes, croissants, just ough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's bad. I'm there for Kale. I come out with a dozen something. Shame on you that you.
Speaker 4: Could eat some kale. You and my wife.
Speaker 2: I love kale, right you? The best way to do a caale. I got to tell you about kale.
Speaker 5: Chop an avocado in half, drop it in the kale, massage it into the kale season the kale bam.
Speaker 4: I don't like avocado either.
Speaker 2: Get him out of here.
Speaker 4: Hey, I was here first.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's right, my bad.
Speaker 4: Claudiecooper dot com Claude. Always good to see you and I'll see you against.
Speaker 2: So well, see you too. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 3: It's Later with Mo Kelly CAFI AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Mo Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty