Speaker 1: Welcome to Skin and Soul.
Speaker 2: I'm Gwenhemkarsley, a transformational body, sex and Soul coach, and I'm inviting you on a bold, unfiltered journey into the heart of our humanity through the lens of arrows. This is where we strip away the shame, dive into the unspoken, and embrace the wild.
Speaker 1: Raw truth of our desires. Together we'll crack open the taboo and cover our.
Speaker 2: Deepest intimacies and awaken the pulse of our sexual essence. Because real transformation, it's messy, it's thrilling, and it's oh so delicious.
Speaker 3: Buckle up loves.
Speaker 2: Skin and Soul Beyond the Pale starts in three two one. Let's go.
Speaker 1: Hello and welcome everyone. I'm Gwenhem. I'm your host of Skin and Soul Beyond the Pale, and I am joined today by Amanda Dames, who is the founder of The King Consultant. She's also host of The King Consultant podcast, which is amazing. By the way. She's a certified sexologist, sonatica sect of relationship coach, and a former dominatrix. So we have a really good, yummy, juicy topic today and we're going to be talking around kink.
Speaker 4: Permission and permission to evolve, the permission to stay curious, to ask about and to be able to recognize that your wants, desires, needs, and to be able to acpress them. And I'm so excited to have you here.
Speaker 3: It's so welcome, Thank you, Gwenna, And it's lovely to be here. I've been looking forward to this conversation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me too. And it's fun because right before we started, I was listening to Beverly Joe Scott. She has a song called Oh my God, make It Rock. Such a good song, and I realized, like, oh, such a yummy to me. It speaks to my greatest desires, right, the things that I was never allowed to speak about.
Speaker 3: Yeah or yeah, I didn't even know I was allowed to want back then. I thought I wanted something that was not allowed. Can you relate to that. That's sort of like, oh, these things are good and these things are bad, and please just be a good girl. Yes.
Speaker 1: And I remember, you know, having different different partners would bring up different things. And I remember I think that was the first time I had a boyfriend that actually spanked me. I think I was more gud I must have been. I don't know, nineteen somewhere around there, and I was I was just not ready for the world of touch me in another way that's loving or what I was conceiving of loving and wanting. So yeah, absolutely to be able to say it, I want, you know, I want a little bit of make it rough. I want a little bit of that, you know. And I know you can identify that you're a switch. Yeah. Yeah, So that back and forth feeling.
Speaker 3: Oh, I love it. I love playing with energy and power like that and just getting to exert some of that too, because that's another side of it. Be good don't men and women experience. It's like it's like, be good, don't hit women, you know, And then that that's a big one as well. So like from all sides we're being told what we should and shouldn't do. But when you do get to like just accept it and explore it. Ooh, it's juicy. You're right.
Speaker 1: So for you, because I know you've been doing this work now for over ten years. Before you got into this work, what do you think were some of those desires that you judged yourself for really harshly?
Speaker 3: Oh, I wanted to be spanked, I wanted to be punished, and I think, in small ways degraded and humiliated, and that not only did I not know that that was okay, not only did I feel deep shame about it, but I felt like I was broken, you know, I thought, like, who wants this? Not only that I felt really weak for wanting it. I mean, strong people don't want to be degraded or humiliated. Strong people want to be respected. So I felt that side of me was a weakness I had to bury deep and never admit to so like and this went from I speak about this pretty openly. From the age of five. I knew I had this weird obsession with punishment and spanking, but I didn't understand it had anything to do with my sex life or broader desires until I was in my teens. And just that shame of knowing I was weird as a kid, when you don't understand yourself at all and you're just trying to absorb what the world is in general, that shame became very ingrained, and to this day it is something that I actively have to fight against and like just sort of be like, let's let this shame go. It's not mine. It's from a confused child who didn't understand things, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then being able to express it as well, especially when there's partners involved wo who have judgment around because they're not that they can't accept that, oh right, because we're told so many things around what you're allowed to want, what you're what's acceptable and not susceptible, or you're in a world right like otherwise you belong in the BDSM world, which is a whole other community into itself. And I think there's a lot of judgment around that. I mean, I think I was lucky that I got some flavors of pink, and I definitely judge myself absolutely harshly around it and throughout my life even today, think oh my god, can I say that? And that comes back to.
Speaker 3: I feel the same way this. I do my work and I'm full in it, I believe in it fully. But I will say sometimes I will hear a rant, or I'll read a blog post about someone who talks about having explored BDSM and kink and how now they see the light and they're a real feminist and they don't do that anymore, and I internally think, am I not a real feminist? And then I go through it, And I'm like, Amanda, you are a feminist. You empower women to explore what they want. So but society is still sending out those messages that what I want is wrong, even in such an open space. And I do think we're a lot more open today than we were in the eighties and nineties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think that's a really interesting topic around feminism because isn't feminism the ability to choose for yourself exactly what you want, whatever that might be. And that might be you know, traditional roles or as well you know, or vanilla sex, but coming from that authentic place, that isn't shaming anything.
Speaker 3: Exactly it is. And it breaks my heart even when I see people shaming tradwives, because I feel like, no, I want them to have the choice to live the life they want to. I think the place where for me it gets a little all feminism is lost when we have one woman telling another woman how to live. And I think that's as simple as it gets. So for me, I'm like, please don't tell the tradwives not to do what they want to do. Equally, tradwives, please do not shame me for wanting to have a job, and maybe one day, have kids and do it all as opposed to committing to one type of life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think people have an idea around kink, and I think I'd love it if you explained it, you know, from all the work that you do.
Speaker 3: It's just.
Speaker 1: People have this idea that kink is this one thing right and that it's naughty and taboo. But like in extremes, and your experience with kink is.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's everything in between. It can be as light as just I mean a tap on the bottom, you know, just like as a flirtatious little smack on the bump, all the way up to something more extreme like impact play with what people are probably more used to seeing in movies and stuff like riding crops and whips. But kink is anything that is viewed as alternative to what mainstream intimacy is at the time. So an example I always give is if someone wants to give a blowjob. Now, that's quite a normal thing, it's even expected, But fifty years ago that was a very kinky, taboo thing to do. And our acceptance as a society is actually what changes things and brings them from kinky to mainstream. So then you have to think a lot of things are still out there that are borderline mainstream but our kinky. And I love to give examples, like if you've ever wanted to be tied up during sex or even held down or said, you know, I just want him to take charge in the bedroom, that is now that's still considered kinky. You know, you want to be told what to do, how to act, even in small ways like get on the bed and spread your legs for me. That would be a kinky thing to say, because there's a power exchange going on there. So kink is the definition is so broad. It's kind of whatever you make it to be. But you also have to pay attention to like is this regular in society now? For example, my favorite, my actual favorite is sex toys. Now it's just expected everyone's including sex toys in their sex life. But even twenty years ago, that was a kinky thing to do, was to bring a vibrator in the bedroom during mutual sex.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think a lot of people still have a hard time bringing in toys right there is I mean, I'm of a generation, I'm not that all, but I'm definitely not when I'm looking at you know, the twenty year olds today that might have so much sex education at their fingertips and I don't know, Like the people that I work with are over forty, and so the experience is so different around what's acceptable in the bedroom. Right, Can I bring in a toy? Does that person think then that they're inadequate? Right? Like, there's all these stories that we tell ourselves around well, if I bring this in, that means that they think I'm not you know, they're not satisfying me, or that I don't I don't like their their cock, or they're pussy or whatever. It is right that that somehow it needs a replacement rather than these are toys in play.
Speaker 3: Yes, And I actually think what's going on with that younger generation is not just exposure, but I think the younger generation has less attachment to their own ego, so they explore things, they approach it curiously. And I know we can say that of a lot of young people, but they are not being bombarded with the messaging that a man has to be strong and make a woman come and all of the things that were passed down to us by like high school students above us telling us exactly what sex was supposed to be and in that we just it was ingrained this form of masculinity and what a man should be and what a woman should be. And thank god the younger generation don't have that, so they're able to explore things that maybe for our generation it was harder. Like I'm thirty seven right now, so I haven't hit that forty mark, but I know exactly what you're talking about. I also grew up in Catholic Ireland, where sex was even more taboo there than I think in the US at the time.
Speaker 1: Well, and I often think like, oh my god, So wherever there's religion and things are really suppressed is where the kinkiest fantasies come from. And I'd love to talk a little bit around really taboo kinky thoughts or what people deem as unacceptable and how to approach those kinks, because I think people are just terrified, Like what do you think, Like some of the most terrifying kinks are that people just are shocked about themselves that they want or desire.
Speaker 3: Okay, So one that I'm going to talk about is the daddy baby girl kink, right where the submissive is. It's a little bit sometimes it can include age play where the either party. By the way, it can be men or women. But I'm just going to go with the more mainstream version of like daddy dom, but baby girl who is playing a younger age, and she is not in her head a younger age. It is just a role play, and the fantasy there is I just want to be taken care of. It is a deeper version of the fantasy of like, I am tired of making all the decisions. I don't want to have to think about anything. Can we just play pretend in a world where I don't have to be in charge and someone is here to take care of me. That is quite jarring to a lot of people because they're like, what does this mean I want to be a child? Is this? Am I like a pedophile or something like that. It's like, I have this rule. As long as it is consensual between adults and legal where you are, you're good to go. If you and your adults partner are consensually agreeing to just between the two of you play this game where you are role playing a younger age. There is nothing wrong with that, and sometimes it's just helping people understand you're playing your role playing. There's no reason to shame yourself about that. So that's a common one that I hear a lot of shame about. And then another one that I hear a lot cross dressing. I have a lot of men who enjoy cross dressing, and I often get calls from women and they say, like, what's wrong with my partner? I caught him wearing women's clothes And they're actually quite scared. They don't want to break up, they just think there's something pathological. And I talk them a lot of women off the ledge of like, Nope, I really have to tell you, this is so much more common than you think. So I think those are two where people are doing something and they feel so alone in it because society says this is wrong, but they're quite common.
Speaker 1: And where did I come from? So, like when you think about your own liking to get spanked, and from like a very young age, have this thing around punishment getting spanked. Because these fantasies are rooted in us at such an early age, they're wired and to us, and I think people don't generally understand that it's coming from a desire for a feeling. It's not just about the spanking, it's not just about the cross dressing that it's giving the person something. So for you going back and thinking, oh, this rooted spanking, what was that for you?
Speaker 3: I think when I discuss what I'm into now and what it gives me, the feeling is that I feel seen and paid attention to. Someone is noticing me if they notice I'm doing something wrong. I had a wonderful childhood where I was not ignored at all, but I do I was the eldest and then my younger sister is thirteen months younger, and there could be an element of just wanting more attention. But I was a goodie two shoes kid as well, like I was not the kid who ever did get punished because I just I was born good and not trying to be a brat. So I didn't get punished and I didn't really do a lot that deserved it. I even brought my mom on the podcast to discuss this in depth about what my childhood was like. So I think for some of us, we are born this way. And there is a difference between a kink and a fetish. A fetish is a need to have to achieve a rousal. A kink is a nice to have. I will say my punishment is a ideal, is a fetish, and I do need it to achieve arousal. So I think there's more of that that you're born with than you actually just develop over time. But I think kinks in general a lot of them to do with power exchange or cross dressing. I think they come from a place of extreme curiosity of what would this be like and then finding out you enjoy it, or paying attention to power dynamics in your life of oh, mom and dad have all the power, I have none, my teacher has all the power. I have none. I feel vulnerable in a doctor's office because they know all the things and I don't really know what's going on. And we find ways to find fun in that and react to it and think, Okay, can I play with this? So I think a lot of kink comes from can I play with this? Feeling? Desire, curiosity.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, I also think that kink often comes from wounding as well, just to name that that it can that you know that oftentimes wounds can be replayed or traumas can be replayed through kanko to feeling, but also that it can be an arousal that we absolutely don't want have aroused that discordance, and you're like, oh, I need this, but I don't want.
Speaker 3: This, right, So yes, and thank you for saying that. So I'm so used to having to explain that not all kink comes from trauma, but some of it does, right, So yes, absolutely, there is so much that people want to experience, and we call it having repetition with agency. So there's a lot of people who have what's commonly referred to as a rape fantasy, but in the kink world, what we call that is consensual non consent. You are playing out you've given consent in advance that you two are going to play as if you don't have consent and you are being raped or assaulted. And for so many people who have experienced that trauma, it allows them to feel re empowered in a sexual place because they are experiencing it. And for some people that is one of the most healing things for them. It brings them back to their sex life, brings them back to their orgasms for the first time since before the assault happened.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that is of their body right, being able to take agency over their experiences. And that's, like you said, that's not everybody, and so what do you find is probably the most common kinky fantasy thoughts for women that women don't want to admit being dominated.
Speaker 3: So many women want a man who just takes complete control and handles all of the situations so that they are able to just relax into pleasure and receive. And it's varying degrees of control that they're looking for, Like some of them are looking for that harsher, more primal, I'm being taken aggressively type of dominance, and others just want that like wine and dine me, bring me home, put me in the bed, and do all of the things I know I want without me having to ask for it. You know, one of the biggest fantasies I think is just I wish you knew what I wanted, and that comes through communication. But by communicating it you can get there in that fantasy world of oh, he's doing all the right things, maybe because I told him three days ago what to do, but I'm getting it now in one fell swoop.
Speaker 1: So I think for women's attention, like, yeh men, if you're paying attention, right, I mean, I think that's the hardest thing ever. I think some women feel that oh, if I say it, then it's no longer sexy, And I disagree. I think when you say it, it becomes even sexier because just in being able to talk about it can can tend to like spice up things. And and you know, we're not mind readers. That's the other part around sexuality is like we're not even with the best partner, right even with you know, somebody who's really in tune with you is not going to know your deepest, darkest secrets fantasies.
Speaker 3: No, and where did this idea come from that we all had to be mind readers in the bedroom? Like the idea that talking about it was bad is prevalent through I think many culturist countries everywhere you're just expected to know. And I don't know how we came up with that myth.
Speaker 1: Well, and we have these cultures that have extensive, uh, you know, manuals around sexuality when you think of the Kamasutra and just and these manuals of sexuality, of positions and how how to arouse a man or a woman and different you know, and today, I mean, I know when I went to school, there was like there's no there's no education around around pleasure, like you know, you're waiting and actively seeking it in many ways because otherwise you know, the alternative is born. And again you know, there's nothing wrong with porn all in context, et cetera. But to me, it's not the place to learn about sex, right, It's not the place to learn about ultimate pleasure, no.
Speaker 3: Not at all, right, And the place to learn about it is probably would have perfectly been in sex ed to teach you that your pleasure is valid and seeking it is valid, as opposed to just don't get pregnant, don't get an STI this is how you avoid those things. So we're scaring people from the beginning, not giving them many tools to explore their own pleasure, and then act shocked and shaken when they turn to porn. When teenagers turn to porn to learn, we act like this is the craziest thing ever, and it is, but it's because we set the system up that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, I think it's such a travesty. I mean I went to school and basically had a teacher say hand us a book and say, you know, talk amongst yourselves because she was having a hard time, oh my gosh about sex. Right, And so you know, and I went to an old girls' school, so it was just a lot of chitter chatter and gossick.
Speaker 3: That is so funny. I wonder if she'd even had sex, like to have such an awkward thing about talking about it.
Speaker 1: But that was I mean, I grew up with a mom who was very, very free in her body in terms of being naked, but being sexual was a whole other matter. And so I found myself trying to subdue, you know, the fact that I was a really sexual little being and didn't know what to do with it. And as I grew and you know, like I said, I was I was fortunate that I had some really wonderful lovers that were very very open, and then I had others that were completely shut down. And even today, you know, there's like those old patterns that show up within me. That's like, am I going to be accepted if I say this? Am I going to be able to be met or seen? Which is then brings me to you know, for men, what do you think for men, their greatest fears are around.
Speaker 3: Kink right now? I think it's to be considered a creep or to be considered creepy because and I mean we needed the me too movement absolutely, but there are a lot of men who are still very confused about consent and just understanding you ask permission and you're okay. You know, there's a fear that I'm immediately going to be judged as creepy. And I will say that men and women aren't different in this because it's almost an evolutionary thing. Being rejected is not just sad on an emotional level, but deep in our systems, Like if you were rejected from the tribe before, that meant your survival was at risk. You need to be accepted by the tribe. So the fear of rejection is across the board. In the same way you're like, oh, how am I going to be met? If I share? Men are now thinking am I going to be a creep? If I say this? Am I going to sound abusive? If I say I want to do some type of impact play like spanking or bondage and tying her up, there's a huge fear around that too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think there's a lot of I actually I feel for men these days because I think there's a really lost component around, like a good strong masculine primal, like that whole like take me. You know, that surrender that we talked about earlier, that women's fantasies are often around like I just want to be taken. I want to be able to feel that warmth, that strength, the primalness. And on the other side, men being really terrified to go there right that there's that blockage of like, oh god, I don't even know how to get there, and then women not being able to fully surrender because she doesn't trust, she knows her person, you know, isn't able to just fully surrender a fully surrender to his primalness.
Speaker 3: Yes, And what women in this, what women are seeking is safety. They want to feel safe enough to know that this person can take control in a way that's going to land for them. And that's what they're lacking, that safety in trusting their partner to be able to do that and be in that fully, but also still paying attention to them and understanding what they need. So I think that there's a large part of and I don't know if you've noticed, but masculine now is a bad word in society, and I hate that. I hate that people are so scared of the word that as soon as you say it, it's almost politicized.
Speaker 1: I know. Yeah, it's we've gotten to a place of ice. Sometimes I'm like, I don't know what word I'm allowed to say. I don't really care anyone, just like whatever comes out of my mouth, you know. But it's some words are they're important, and we've we you know, compartmentalize words so harshly and judge them so harshly these days in a way that I think isn't serving either men or women, particularly in the bedroom.
Speaker 3: Like it's you've nailed it.
Speaker 1: Not crazy. Yeah, the world's gone crazy.
Speaker 3: Because I'm listening to women say they want men to be dominant. I'm listening to men say I want this, but I'm scared to be labeled to creep or like I'm not supposed to want this, And everyone publicly is saying they don't want it or this is the way of the old times and it doesn't exist now. But if that's so true, why is the desire still there and not for everyone? But we're shaming the people who have this desire and telling them it's wrong, it's not feminists. They need to be doing all of these things to be a really good feminist. And I think that that is where some of the crazy goes in. It's just a new type of societal judgment taking us in the opposite direction.
Speaker 1: So then in getting couples to be able to talk to each other, and I just you know, whenever I don't know about you, but meeting someone new and just being able to talk about or being in a marriage for like a really long time, because this is the other thing. People are in marriages for a really long time and they get stuck in a routine. Right, you meet somebody and you have a very strong idea of who they are sexually, right, they get pigeonholed. We get pigeonholed. You're like, And the thing is, there's this growth of what I love about you know, I'm going to say the introduction of kink is And I heard you talk about this on another podcast where you were, you know, talking about evolving. Right, what you like when you're twenty, you might not like when you're thirty, or incorporate or go or farther depending and that there's this opportunity as we get older in long term relationships, either it fizzes out to die because you've pigeonholed each other so deeply entrenched that that you know that nothing ends up happening after a while, or you can really enlive in the relationship again by getting really honest about what is it that you truly want and meet and have you know, the meet themselves there. And I conclude myself in this right just then, if I knew, like a long time ago, even within my own marriage, of what I could talk about, I think it would have just looked very different to be really open and honest and be able to understand this is where my desire is, this is what I like? How do I share it? I know?
Speaker 3: And that's I wish for everyone that they had that at a younger time in their relationship, because I will say I work with most of the people I work with are over five. I work with a lot of retire recently retired couples, and I will say that when you start to explore how to reconnect in the bedroom, there are a lot of resentments and painful things that are coming up that are nothing to do with sex. It's about the relationship and feeling safe with each other and feeling seen that we also need to work through to get back to intimacy. And while that's across the board, sometimes I'm having conversations with people about something that was not sex related at all, that happened twenty years ago, where the person is still feeling hurt and unseen, and that means that they don't feel that they can trust their partner in the bedroom. So over time, more of these things rack up, and if resentment has been there and not worked through, we are tackling that in addition to trying to find intimacy again, because intimacy is in vulnerability, So when you try to be vulnerable, that's when all of this stuff comes up.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. And the fact that you said, like, you know you some but he might be carrying something from twenty years ago at what is going on inside the bedroom is also being reflected outside and vice versa. I guarantee you you know, it's tell me what you're like in bed, and I'll tell you how you are outside in the world.
Speaker 3: Is yes, tell me what you need to enjoy pleasure, and I will tell you about what your life looks like outside the bedroom, for sure. And it's just it's always interesting the different little things people need in the bedroom. And I even just mean to get there to enjoy pleasure, Like there are some people who need the house to be perfect. They need to be showered, shaved, their hair looks nice, they need to feel good about themselves. And then there are other people who are like, now, let's just go for it. I'm horny, I'm ready to jump in, Like, why aren't you ready too? There are so many different personality types, and I often find the same type of personality in the bedroom is the same outside. The only difference is some people who have a lot of power outside of the bedroom love to give it up in control, give up control in the bedroom, and vice versa.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that makes sense, right, because if somebody has so much control and is carrying so much responsibility and accountability, I think we talk about that, you know, the really high exact man or woman and then coming back into the bedroom and just wanting to surrender, just wanting to experience and not wanting to have to carry the responsibility. Yeah, which again is probably more you know, probably for men, is more of a shaming just in how we you know, perceive men and how a man should be. I would think, yeah, that's probably greater struggles.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I have a lot of clients in that boat right now, where they've been married fifteen twenty years. They've grown in their career, they have taken on so much. They are large and in charge in their life and they feel responsible for everything. And they would just like in the bedroom, it doesn't even need to be super kinky. They just want their partner to take a little control to not just initiate, but how have a plan for the intimacy and make it an experience for them. And they want it so bad that they're willing to invest in hiring a coach to help them and their partner navigate it because it's it's a deep desire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think having a coach really helps because now you have somebody else facilitating or helping to facilitate the conversation and to stop where you know, where projections are, where judgments are. I always say, like if you have a judgment on the other it's really something to look at within of like what is going on. It doesn't mean you have to like, it doesn't mean you'll ever be a hell yes on I don't know being pegged for instance, Yes, it might be that might never be on the table. However, the ability to have the conversation and the ability to hear your partner with as little judgment as possible is really helpful, which brings I have personal questions for you, by the.
Speaker 3: Way, Oh please, I'm an open book and I'm happy to answer anything for you too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you. Okay, So for you. And I asked this because as a coach as well, do you how did you find being in this world being I can't coach and being and dating?
Speaker 3: How was it doing it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: How was it, Drake? Because you were with a partner now I am, it was difficult in some respects. First of all, I do think that me doing this work slightly contributed to the end of an engagement I was in before this, because when I met him, I wasn't doing this work speaking to growth and change and accepting as people change. When I was dating, I would meet people. It's not just that I do this work, it's that I also am so public about it on Instagram and TikTok and the podcast. My life is quite public, so that also made people think twice about dating me. And I definitely got these beautiful, heartfelt rejections of like, I really like you, and I believe in what you're doing. I just can't have this around my daughters or my family who I'm close to.
Speaker 1: So I the judgment, what is the thing that people are doing that.
Speaker 3: That there are kids would be made fun of because I focus on kink and I talk about cank, or that their kids would know what they were into because of me, Because even if I said this and I would never talk about us. It's sort of like just knowing that I'm so open it tells people a lot. Even my current partner. One of the things that I had learned to do by the time I met him was when we talked about dating each other and being exclusive, I sent him a list of podcast episodes. I sent him some blog posts, I sent him some Instagram videos. I said, this is who you'd be getting in a relationship with. This person isn't changing, so you need to accept this person. And I had to put that forward, probably earlier than I had would have liked to, or needed to defend my own work that I'm so proud of. But in terms of one of the other things is when you do this work, you put pressure on yourself to be the expert in how to handle a relationship. But I mean relationship problems they come for us. All these arguments these things come up and I want it. I'm like, oh, if I was a coach, if I was my own coach, I'd be like, what are you doing, Amanda, But that's life, that's.
Speaker 1: Just a coach. Does the coach seek a coach.
Speaker 3: Yes, Oh for sure, I have. I've It's not a team of people, but I have my therapists that I've had for ten years. And then I also do a kind of co work with other coaches who are trained and certified by the same Somatica coaching program I went to, and we'll sort of do like quid pro quo sessions for each other to help each other really explore and do that deeper work. So yes, I would say the coach always needs a coach.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then because as you're saying, like, you know, being a coach doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't come with stuff and all of that, And I'm just I'm speaking from my own experience of trying, you know, being out there in the minute anybody knows what I do. It's not even about how popular I am or anything like that. It's it's really around oh God, like oh, either I feel objectified either, I feel that kind of like oh, I'm supposed to now be the teacher, or it's not it's not about me, it's about oh what can she teach me? What can she show me? Or she must be amazing at this or that, versus like like I'm like, Hi, let's how about just hi?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, I understand exactly what you're You're looked to and sort of put on a pedestal and treated like you are going to be something I don't know, like a different level or something, and not just another human in relationship.
Speaker 1: Exactly like that. I you know, I'm just a automatic going to know their body inside it out and that it's just going to be either amazing or that they might or that I might judge them, which is the other thing, right, which is the fear of being judged, the fear of oh I'm not going to be you know, good enough or you know like that sort of I don't know if you encountered that.
Speaker 3: My gosh, wait, I'm just you just unlocked a memory for me. I do remember hearing that people were like, oh, well, I'd be too intimidated to dom you, And immediately in my head I was like, in my head, I was like, okay, well, you're off the table anyway, which is why I didn't even commit it to memory because I was like, oh, I'm like, I'm sorry you think that you couldn't do me because I used to dom other people, like you don't trust in your own ability to do this that I remember getting a lot of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's where you pass on your card.
Speaker 3: Yeah I did that. I literally would do that. Well date you, but here's like, here's my Instagram. I think that you could like learn a lot.
Speaker 1: Oh I love that. Yeah. So and I always say I've a menopausal moment. But so, before you got into this work, what do you think is the thing that that broke you into the place, Like what made you go, oh yeah, I want to go and do this work? What was that awakening for you?
Speaker 3: I've always been a curious person. So when I moved to New York City from Ireland, I needed another job and I found work as a dominatrix. And it's not that I didn't know that job existed. I knew and I did want to try it. I never realized I was going to do it until I was like, this is it, this is the moment I can try this, and I felt I had an excuse because in society, needing money is sort of a blanket statement for Oh, well, she needed a job, so of course she went and did that as opposed to choosing that job. So it gave me the freedom to go choose that work. Of like, well, she obviously needs to make some extra cash, it makes sense she would go do this. So I think I needed my own way of giving my helf permission to go become a dominatrix at a dungeon. And then I did the job for two years and decided I wanted to focus more on my corporate America job that was going to move me up the career ladder. So I fully committed to that, but I always missed the work, and I spent a long time trying to figure out how I was going to get back to that kind of work while still feeling like myself and not being on someone else's schedule or being a dom takes a lot of energy. Being a professional in the space takes a lot of energy. And I found coaching, and as soon as I understood this was a thing, like I call it life coach for relationships and sex, I was sold And I was like, that's that is the job for me. So as soon as I found this out, and I'm a little woo woo, So I'm going to tell you something that actually happened. I was having a dream, one of those dreams where you think you are really in a place, and someone was talking to me and said, you need to be a life coach. Go be a life coach. And I woke up from the dream sort of shock because I was just in the shower. How am I here now? And my immediate thought was I don't want to be a life coach, but I would be a life coach for sex. I googled it. I found out that was a job sex and relationship coaching, and I signed up that day to be a coach to like learn.
Speaker 1: To learn about it. Yeah, I had, I had, I had a similar I was like, is this a thing? Because even when I was twenty, I think I knew I loved sex, I knew I loved psychology. I uh, And I ended up going into acting in my young years, like to move through embodiment work. But then it came in a way I was like, oh, yeah, I can't ignore this anymore, and I just yeah, So I was just curious about your own awakening of like what brought you and then how did your parents? It's like, how did your family react? Well?
Speaker 3: Can I just ask you one quick question where you also the friend everyone asked about sex? Did everyone go to you about their relationships?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Everyone always came to me about everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, so that is another talk to.
Speaker 1: Me about anything that they'd be like, oh, you're so easy to talk to or you're so you know because everything. I'm like, yeah, why not? And it doesn't mean there's the other thing around, Coach. It doesn't mean that I do everything. It means that it's just I find human sexuality and human connection fascinating, and I think we're all terrified of the same thing, which is being seen, even though it's the thing that we crave the most. Right It's like it's the thing like you don't see me. That's what I always say, like, see you don't see me.
Speaker 3: And that fear I think that don't see me is don't judge me, Like see me, don't judge.
Speaker 1: Me, don't leave me, don't abandon me.
Speaker 3: The abandonment wound is really strong, and especially in me, like my dad is not. When I talk about my family, I'm not talking about my dad because like he sort of disappeared in my teen years and I don't talk to him anymore. But my family. To answer your question about, I've always had a super supportive mother. So I told her about my working as a dominatrix, and I don't think she was ecstatic about it, but she has always understood never tell your kids not to do something, because that's exactly what they're going to do. So she was supportive from the get go. I told her I had this job and that Christmas when I went home, she had put She always has this like Christmas how like little village thing, and she put one red light in one of her Christmas houses and she was like, look, this is where you work. And it was just such an accepting thing, do you know what I mean of? Like I was like, Mom, I'm not having sex. She's like, I know, I know, but like it's the red light district for you. And I thought that was cute. When I started to do when I started to talk about it online on Instagram and became a coach, my family were supportive of it. And it's just I even was giving my mom relationship advice in my teenage years so I don't think she was shocked by it. And one of the things that I think helps now is she's very proud of the work I do. She tells her friends and colleagues and people come back to her now and like, oh, Mandy gave me confidence to do this. My family calls me Mandy, or like I feel like, oh, I feel so empowered. So now that she also gets to see the change I'm having in the lives of people she knows, she's super proud. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, and I also acknowledges them in their sexuality and their needs, like there's something I've you know, I know for me, my father was making fun, you know, making fun in his way, right, trying to understand kind of what I do. He was like, oh, you are like doctor Who's best timer. I know you're probably too young to know who she was, but she used to doctor Ruth, Yeah, doctor Ruth right right.
Speaker 3: Isn't she the goal like you were the goal.
Speaker 1: On you know, listen to her on the radio and she was talking about masturbation and are you like touching your partner and have you died like and do you have a gone about like in ways that nobody was talking about it at that time.
Speaker 3: I know, and I always say what I loved about her is she was for the people who needed to hear that it was okay they wanted to suck cock, but also the halo people who just wanted to understand what was going on in people's bedrooms. And she brought this acceptance to it of like, hey, this is happening, don't judge it. So she just helped so many people, not just the people who needed to hear her advice, but the people who needed to understand this is normal and so much more common than you think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so healthy that ye. You know, sexuality is And what I love about kink it's to me, I call it like it's it's the imaginative form of sex, right, It's like it's allowing your imagination to soar. It's allowing it's that playful place. It brings out like, oh, what can we do in a way that's different, and it it pushes those edges into what's uncomfortable. But it also, I think, is that doorway into deeper intimacy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it really is. And you only live one life, but when you have kinky sex and intimacy, you get to live like a hundred lives and explore feelings in new ways, and it makes it It just keeps it fresh. And I think you're always learning about yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Do you think that that people who are in kinky relationships that openly like or move into that direction have richer sex lives? I mean it's a it's a big question.
Speaker 3: I think that anyone who's talking and planning and prioritizing their sex life is going to have a richer sex life. When you're kinky, by default you have to be doing that, and you have to be debriefing afterwards, asking things because you're trying new things, you need to understand if you liked it or didn't like it, So that naturally lends itself to having a deeper connection. But that doesn't mean non keeky people can't have that. But what you need to be doing is having those conversations after what did you enjoy? What would you have liked more of? What do you not want brought back next time? That's going to develop that deeper connection. And you don't even need to touch kink for it.
Speaker 1: No, And I think people associate the word kink with a very specific label and stigma, and you know, for anybody out there, I just you know, if you can give people just that that word of advice that's like, hey, kink is you know, for the person who's.
Speaker 3: Like kink is anything that explores a different feeling of intimacy that doesn't and just include penis and vagina sex. It can be playing with even just a little bit of power, extra romance, or extra fantasy within the bedroom. It all falls under the umbrella of kink. And I think the best advice I could give is let go of the idea that it kink is what TV told you it was. If you saw it on TV, it's likely that wasn't kink. But if it's an internal desire that you haven't seen in you didn't hear about in sex ed, you might be just a little bit kinky. And I don't want you to shy away from it. Explore what that means to you and what you want to experience in the bedroom. Don't worry about the label. Talk to your partner about it. Try it.
Speaker 1: What do you think you still want to explore in kick.
Speaker 3: I would I'm actually it's hard to believe this, but I think I am quite I'm not an extreme kinkster, right, and I would like to try some more extreme things because I talk talk about a lot. Like you said, we don't have to do all of the things, we can be fascinated by them. Yep, I would like to try some maybe just more extreme role plays where like I'm being heavily interrogated, Like I have this fantasy of being interrogated by someone who doesn't speak English, so I don't understand what they're saying, but like we're trying to communicate with each other without words. That's a fantasy I have that I've never tried. And I'm like, I want to play with fear a little bit in my kink Yeah, So what.
Speaker 1: Do you think playing with fear brings you.
Speaker 3: Exhilaration? I think that I it. I love roller coasters, I absolutely love roller coasters. Why not experience a little bit of that type of fear in the bedroom but knowing I'm safe and it's consensual and we've talked about it, just like when I get on a roller coaster, I know I'm safe. There's that little bit of fear of is something going to go wrong? But for the most part, do you expect to be right back where you started? In sixty seconds. And that's why I want to explore a little bit more fear in my kink as long as I can work it out in a way where I'm right back where I started in sixty minutes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just and I just got the flash when you were like roller coaster, I was like work as them on a roller coaster.
Speaker 3: I wonder if I could, right right.
Speaker 1: I wonder if I could. I wonder what that looks like. I wonder how that happens.
Speaker 3: I'm sure someone's done it, well, they have on the fair.
Speaker 1: I hear. I didn't even know it was a thing. The ferris wheel thing.
Speaker 3: Wheel, yes, I mean, and those are so common now, and the ones that are like not open air or yeah, I don't see how.
Speaker 1: That's like that's not even a kink anymore. That's just.
Speaker 3: Well that that's what the people doing that would never consider themselves kinky. But that's the type of exhibitionism and thrill seeking to do that. So even if you've ever wanted to do it outside, that's a little bit kinky.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, that's it. I mean, I can say I'm in my kink, so I'm as as a sexual being, like I'm very energetic, right, So for me, my turn ons before anything, before any kind of touch has to come through my mind. It has to be stimulated, whether that's like wirism or just like the anticipation I am that person across a room literally you know that that needs that feeding, and that is a type of caink Like it's a type of energetic kink you will.
Speaker 3: Oh, And I think any time you're talking about kink, there's a little piece of it that is definitely energy that you can't ignore and acknowledging that just brings you deeper into the experience.
Speaker 1: And there's so much trust involved in kink, whether it's within yourself and or your partner hopefully both that it's that cultivation of like really getting to hear your yeses and your nose and I'm starting to understand for yourself, like, oh, yeah, what is it that I really want out of this or what is it I'm really desiring and what's really off the table and where can I like move into maybe right willing that place and having you know, particularly couples meet themselves there because I think they rarely have the same you know, the same fantasy.
Speaker 3: Very rarely, like it's and I think we need to normalize that you're going to have different fantasies from your partner, but you can find each other in them. You can find ways to work towards each other. You can balance it out by exploring one person's one night or one week and the other person's the next week. You don't always have to be in lockstep. There are ways for you to explore together even when you want different things.
Speaker 1: Agreed, Okay, I'm going to move into asking you some some questions about you. Okay, So, what is one truth your body has always known that took your mind years to catch up to.
Speaker 3: That My pleasure matters. I always have From the time I lost my virginity, I was giving direction of like do this touch this? Like just like that, I knew my pleasure mattered and I should go for it. My mind for years, in terms of the kings and bdaszmside was telling me not to bring it up or trying to hide me from it. But my body always new, like how to get what it wanted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the battle mind viattles. What is the most intimate moment you've ever had that had nothing to do with sex.
Speaker 3: I was on a tandem bike. Yeah, yeah, it was a tandem bike and the college I was that just happened to get some and someone took me for a tandem bike ride and I was really scared, but I just had to trust them. And that was an intimate thing for me because I was letting go of control, trusting that they were going to get me around the campus on this bike. And I still like I little. I just got little tingles in my head remembering that render.
Speaker 1: Thank you. If you could be remembered for one sensation you gave someone, what would it be.
Speaker 3: Feeling seen.
Speaker 1: Like that? And if pleasure were a language, what would your first word be?
Speaker 3: Love?
Speaker 1: H beautiful? If your erotic life had a title like a novel or a film, what would it be called.
Speaker 3: You can't always get what you want, but if you try, sometimes you get what you need.
Speaker 1: Yep, do that one. What is one thing that you've never said out loud but you wish someone would ask you.
Speaker 3: About my biggest fear? I've never I don't think I've ever said it out loud, and I like talking about vulnerability. So what's your biggest fear?
Speaker 1: It would be the question, what's your biggest fear that might be. Question eleven is what part of your erotic self are you still afraid to bring to the light.
Speaker 3: The part of me, Oh, it's even scary to say it. The part of me that is willing to completely hand myself over to someone else and say, doom with my body whatever you want, even a partner. So I still feel very controlled in my own desire and wanting to give up control.
Speaker 1: Thank you. What dies in you when you pretend and what comes alive in you when you.
Speaker 3: Don't like pretend to be someone I'm not that or oh okay, so my heart sinks I'm incapable of pretending to be a version of myself that I am not. When I am truly authentically myself. A smile that I've been told lights up, a room comes out, and I just think I'm full of light when I get to be myself.
Speaker 1: Thank you, I would say, that's true. You are your beam light. Finish this sentence when I leave this life. I want my skin to remember.
Speaker 3: This is a non kinky or this is a crazy answer, but the feeling of really warm sun in a hot, dry climate, that's one of my favorite feelings. And feeling sun on my skin, I'm convinced I needed to live. Everyone does, but I'm like, it's important to me and I want my skin to never forget that wonderful feeling because that makes me really happy.
Speaker 1: Thank you. And if the soul has a scent, what does your smell like today?
Speaker 3: Of like fresh air in a field, that's just I feel very clear and calm and just sort of like wind waving in the grass. I think the scent would be that freshness and that clarity.
Speaker 1: Thank you and totally optional. What is your greatest fear?
Speaker 3: That I will not do the work I want to do and be able to help people understand that kink is not bad. The way doctor Ruth did things for sex, I want to do for kink. I want to help people understand kink is not a bad word. It is just an umbrella term for the things we want to explore in our sex life that are not as commonly accepted at the moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and having the permission to do it, giving yourself the permission. Absolutely. I love the work that you do. Okay, So where do people find you?
Speaker 3: My website is Amanda Dames dot com and if you go on there you can find everything you have the kink Consultant podcast or on Instagram the Underscore Kink Consultant. And I will also say, if you want to talk to your partner about kink, if you go to Amanda Dames dot com scroll to the very bottom, you can get a free worksheet called speaking your Desires with Confidence and it's a great guy to get you started on that conversation. So I highly recommend if anything here resonated today, go check out that free worksheet and try using it with your partner.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, communication skills. People communicate right, We're so terrified of doing it and having that and making it a game. Like you know, sex is messy, sex is fun. It's ridiculous, you know, it's not it's it doesn't come with lighting and background music.
Speaker 3: It's so true. And also some people are like, oh, well we try this, but then we just laugh, and I'm like, that's okay, that's the.
Speaker 1: Best you should laughing, yes, s nodding.
Speaker 5: I don't know, Like I'm just like, you know, some of the craziest noises, sounds, things that come out, like so you think about, you know, trying to be sexy and you're like, you're so hot.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but like I'm.
Speaker 3: Just the sounds are not always sexy.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, the sounds are not always sexy, or the the way the words come out aren't always perfect.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's real.
Speaker 1: So thank you for joining me today. Thank you for being so open and candid and having a wealth of information. If there's anything else, I think we have a couple of minutes before going and otherwise, no.
Speaker 3: It was just so nice to feel like a heart connection with someone on a podcast. So thank you for making space and just asking such really insightful questions.
Speaker 1: Pleasure. Thank you, thank you and everyone else. Thank you for joining us today. It is a live one. I love it when we're live, and I will see you again next week.
Speaker 2: Thank you for listening to Skin and Soul with me, Gwenham. Join me Fridays at ten AMPSD on Transformation Talk Radio.
Speaker 1: Catch the podcast.
Speaker 2: Anytime on your favorite platforms. You can follow me on Instagram at louvology. Ready to Take the Next Step, Book a compatibility call with me at Gwenhemcarsley dot com.
Speaker 3: Take Best Take the Best Take