Speaker 1: Welcome to Wine Soundtrack USA. Listen to the passion with which producers narrate their winery and their world team thirty answers discover their stories, personalities and passions.
Speaker 2: Hello, friends and listeners of Wine Soundtrack. This is alson Levine and today I am in the Livermore Valley with winemaker Aaron Luna, a Finestra Winery erin Welcome to Wine Soundtrack. Tell us about Finestra Winery and where we are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you, happy to be here. Yeah, Finesster Winery is here in Livermore's. The winery itself was actually built in eighteen eighty nine and Lanny Replogle, the owner, started it in nineteen seventy six.
Speaker 4: He actually started.
Speaker 3: Making wine out another property called Ruby Hill, which since burnt down has been rebuilt in a different location, but came to this property in nineteen eighty nineteen eighty one and refurbished the property wow, and has been making wine here ever since.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's really cool because it's kind of built. It's a full building, but it's kind of built into the mountain.
Speaker 3: That's right, it's built into the hill. And that was very common back in the late eighteen hundreds there's a lot of other old wineries here in Livermore. Most of them are no longer really standing, but they were all built into the hill to help with temperature and you know, to keep the cellar at a cooler temperature. We don't want that wine to get too warm.
Speaker 2: Very very interesting. We're above ground right now. I'm looking out at the vineyards. I'm curious, do you own vineyards? Do you purchase fruit? Is it a combination?
Speaker 3: So it is a combination. The property here itself is about sixteen acres and there's about six acres planted under vine now we're adding another acre currently, but we're growing grenache saran moreved on the property and then we purchase.
Speaker 4: The rest of the fruit.
Speaker 3: So our estate grapes currently make up roughly twenty percent of our production and the rest we purchase here locally in Livermore.
Speaker 2: And what other grapes do you work with?
Speaker 4: We work with a lot of and greats. It's one of the things.
Speaker 3: When Lanny started the winery, it was more of a you know, who was doing it as a home wine maker and got more interested in it and started as a professional. But it was the curiosity of all these different varieties that you know, made this place kind of known.
Speaker 4: For odd ball varieties.
Speaker 3: We're not doing as many of those odd ball varieties now, but you know, we just did a graciano a lot of people in for that. We used to do a verdello, a lot of Iberian varieties. I brought Timperneo back in Teria National is something we've done in the past, but primarily now we're focusing focusing on their own varieties here on the estate. So we do a rose from our grenache, we do a grenoch soon Morvett on their own, and then we do a GSM blend that we call the Infrared. But we also do a lot of Bordeaux variety, so Sauvion blanc as a white wine, we do the five classic varietals for Bordeaux, and we do a blend with that called the Conjugation. And these names, these names tie into the owner's history as a in chemistry. He was a chemistry professor at San Jose State. So some of these blends have names that are kind of based on chemistry, Like Conjugation is the label has a conjugated bond on it, but you know, also it also kind of means bringing together.
Speaker 4: It's meaning it's a blend. So those five varieties.
Speaker 3: And then you know, recently did a peano no wire, which we haven't done in a while.
Speaker 2: Is there a peano and a war grown here in the Livermore Valley?
Speaker 3: There is, and there's becoming more of it. I probably shouldn't go off on that tangent. I got those grapes from Snol Highlands, which is a much cooler area than the Livermore.
Speaker 4: Just at the edge of the Livermore Valley. Avia.
Speaker 2: And what is your total case production?
Speaker 4: Roughly two thousand cases per year. We're pretty small production.
Speaker 2: And are you one hundred percent director consumer or are your winds out in the market.
Speaker 3: We're about I would say eighty five percent direct to consumer and then out on the local market, so within a thirty to fifty mile radius at all the local supermarkets, you know, Whole Food, Safeway, Bevmo.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: Okay, So you grew up you were raised in the Monterey County area a little bit south of here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so about an hour and a half south of here, big agriculture community, Salinas Valley, And.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a lot of a lot of history there.
Speaker 3: My family goes back many generations to the beginning of recorded history in California.
Speaker 4: Wow, so you go.
Speaker 3: Gets back into a Spaniard maid marrying a Native American woman in Carmel Valley.
Speaker 4: So my family has been in the minor Ey County for many generations. Wow. On my comment's side.
Speaker 2: Wow, so you've got a long history here. I'm curious what is your first memory relevant to wine. Was it something that you were exposed to at a young age growing up in the Selinas Valley or when do you first remember kind of a connection of identifying what wine is?
Speaker 3: You know, it wasn't really until I started working in the industry.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: When I turned twenty one, my mother bought me a beer brewing kit, and so I got into fermentation and fermentation science through that. But landing about age twenty two, I landed a job at a winery and it was very random that I got there, but instantly fell in love with it.
Speaker 2: But did you have any understanding, I mean, were you introduced to wine in any other capacity? I mean I did did hear a little bit before that? Your mom was the CFO of a previous winery here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that was after I was already in the industry, so that kind of led her into retirement a little bit, but it was for a few years down in Monterey County that she was there.
Speaker 2: So you come into wine kind of by accident, and then obviously you've you know, had the opportunity to taste lots of wines. Was there a wine somewhere along the way that was an aha moment for you, maybe at the start of your career or maybe somewhere somewhere later.
Speaker 3: You know, there, there's not any of that standout. It was, you know, when I worked out bernardist Windering Carmel Valleys where it was for ten years when I first started, and the winemaking team was we did a lot of tastings together, so it was just sitting down at the table with a winemaker assistant winemaker and tasting through and just discovering and discovering the descriptions and everything of it. And you know, from there, I very much had a house palette of Carmel Valley wines. They had a large estate vineyard there and grew up there in the San Alichio Highlands. Was another thing that I craved pino noirs from there. It's like the pino noir go to for me.
Speaker 2: But why is that?
Speaker 4: It just it has It's.
Speaker 3: Very identifiable as being from there, you know, especially if you compare the Lamott Valley or even the Russian River, they're very different pinos. And then you get into certain vineyards and Sanlichi Islands and they don't even taste like pinos because much bigger wines.
Speaker 1: But so.
Speaker 2: If we come to your home, now you live in the East Bay, you live more in the city and commute in here, reverse commute into wine country. But if we came into your home, into your cellar, or maybe it's a you know, in your refrigerator or in the garage. I don't know where you keep your wines. But what would we find in your home? Is it all wines you've made, Is it winds from around the area, or or there particular varieties that you tend to collect.
Speaker 3: It's mainly wineries from Livermore. You know, there are some bottling lines, samples that come off the line that will end up at home, and then that we also bottle for many wineries and Livermore. So there's often bottles handed out at the end of bottling of other wineries.
Speaker 4: So that is the bulk of it.
Speaker 3: My brother in law is very into wines and very expensive wines, so they do some of those end up as gifts and end up in the in the cellar. But I have a wine cellar in the garage which is detached and kind of partially underground from our house we live on a hill in Oakland. And then there's the water heater closet that's in the basement, which is kind of built out.
Speaker 4: There's a it's so.
Speaker 3: There's some in there, and then there's a walking closet down there where she'll find.
Speaker 2: It's a little smattering of storage places. So is there anything you pulled out from one of those corners of your house that you had recently that drank really well?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 3: I have go to wines and they're typically from here at Fenestra, and they're the estate infrared. If I'm looking for a red wine, it's our GSM blend and it's I think that's my favorite red wine that we produce here. Just blends in particular are always fun and I enjoy because you really get to fine tune the wine by blending different varieties in particular. And the garage rose that's our state wine is like the every day, anytime of day, wine with any food.
Speaker 2: You're a house guy through and through. I mean that is that's pride for the brand, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I very much enjoy it.
Speaker 2: It's good that you like what you make. It is. So you just said that one of your favorite wines, your go to's, is the GSM. It's a blend, And I'm curious, do you think there's a such thing as a perfect variety?
Speaker 4: Not so much. No, No, I don't think that there is. You know, I do think Cabernet Savion gets.
Speaker 3: Close with just the mouth feel and the amount of tannins you can get from It's it's just a little bit more encompassing, where with some other wines that kind of can kind of go in different directions. But no, I love blending more than anything. But although I am very true to doing varietally label wines, I very much enjoy that to represent the varietal itself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you're a small producer. You know, maybe there's not such a thing as a perfect variety. But as a small producer, you know a lot of people will turn to wine scores to determine a level of perfection, and I'm curious what your position is on wine critics and scores. Oh boy, go ahead, have you hit her there?
Speaker 4: I hope, I hope none of them are listening to this.
Speaker 3: I mean, wine is very subjective and everyone has their own preferences and such, so you know, if you're going to send it to certain publications, it's usually just one person oftentimes that you're that's rating it, and you can almost tell by looking at what they're rating what their preference for wine is, so you might send only those types of lies to them. And then we do a lot of competitions as well, like you know, the San Francisco Chronicle competition, and they're there are so many wines and so many judges that it boggles my mind. When I was at UC Davis, we did some sensory evaluation courses where you know, after ten wines you're almost spent already, and if they're tasting like one hundred wines in a day and even expectorating or spitting that you still get the effects of alcohol. And I just and and those competitions are tough. You take the winds when you get them, and then oftentimes you can get a really good score at one of those and then you send that same way to another one, and it doesn't really score at all, and it's it's just a gamble.
Speaker 2: So you've got to kind of put it into a context of what it is like, take a win when you get it, and don't take a loss.
Speaker 4: As a loss. That's kind of how it is.
Speaker 2: So as a wine drinker, redwater, rose.
Speaker 3: It depends. It depends on the weather, what you're eating, your mood. Yeah, But like I said, the rose and the infrared or go to's for most.
Speaker 2: Things, rose and red kind of dominate.
Speaker 3: I enjoy I do enjoy a Savian blanc. I made a vigne recently, which haven't done that in a while, and.
Speaker 4: That is very nice.
Speaker 3: It's just a little bit different, some different floral and fruit notes to it. But like I said, it depends, I mean, depends on the season. Even you know springtime when it's warming up, you're like, oh, the sun's back, I can go outside and there's a time, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: So if if wine is seasonal, how do you approach it with pairing with food? Do you look at rules like white wine and fish, red wine and meat and you don't vary off of that, or is it more like it's seasonal I want rose and I don't care what I'm eating. How do you approach it? Do you pick wine first, food first or you just don't care.
Speaker 3: It's usually the food first, and then you pick the wine to go with it. And I will put some thought into it.
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 3: You know, you can do like and like and that you can do also do contrasting pairings, which is always fun. But I'm not afraid to pair a red wine with a fish.
Speaker 2: Okay, So what what will make you make that decision? What are you looking for?
Speaker 3: Well, that will be what you know, what seasonings your you know how you're cooking a fish, what type of fish it is.
Speaker 4: Or you know, just you know. A lot of that has to do with that.
Speaker 3: Sometimes it's the fat content or how rich the wine is. And then you look into more higher tannic wines iron tannin to balance that protein the protein.
Speaker 2: So for somebody who hasn't had the pleasure to try finestra wines, what do you think they're missing out on?
Speaker 3: They're missing out on quality wines. I do like to make food friendly wines, so they're usually a little bit have a little bit more tartness too, which I think helps you know, I think wine should be had with food for the most part. But you know, since we're so much, we're so much direct to consumer that it's coming to the property and enjoying the wine and the variety of wines we have. You know, it's a comment I hear very regularly when I'm here.
Speaker 4: During the tasting days, is we haven't had a wine we didn't like.
Speaker 2: You know, that's a great thing to hear.
Speaker 4: It is. We don't do a lot of the heavier reds. We do do some petite.
Speaker 3: Seraw, but I age it a little bit longer and barrel, so the tannins are a little bit more tamed. There's a great book I think it's Tim Hanny or Henny Henny.
Speaker 4: He does Why you like the Wines you like?
Speaker 3: And it's a great It's like my favorite wine book because it talks about the phenotypes and how everyone has a different taste or you know, what they like, right, and so there's a lot of that here.
Speaker 2: So first, if space aliens were to land on your property right now, you've got this nice open parking lot where they can land their spaceship and they come knocking on the door, which of your wines would you want to welcome them with to say, you know, this is Fenestra.
Speaker 3: The infrared, I think because an alien would understand infrared.
Speaker 2: What you're going on the name just as well as I love it.
Speaker 3: And it's a blend of the three grapes you grow here, which really represents you know, our spot.
Speaker 2: That's great. So you know, every vintage tells a different story. You came from the Carmel Valley, you said, where you sort of developed a house palette, you know, really liking the wines. You like the San Lucia Highlands. And now we're here in the Livermore Valley and in your career being in different areas, do you see the Livermore Valley as being more consistent year to year? Do you see variation? What do you think vintage means in a place like this.
Speaker 3: Compared to Carmel Valley, It's different. It's much more consistent here. You do have there are seasonal variations from year to year. It's you know, harvest can be two or three weeks before or after the previous ones, so it kind of a moving target. It's a you know, the growing region itself is great for many varieties. And you might hear this from other winemakers as well. That you know, our growing season is fairly extended, but we get the cooling of the coastal influence with the fog coming in.
Speaker 4: We have the ultimate pass here where they have the big.
Speaker 3: Wind turn by. The wind really rips through here in the afternoon and cools it off, but get you get some really good consistency. It's perhaps a little bit warm certain varieties, but perfect for most varieties. I would say some years it's are more bad. Is usually the last thing we pick, and that's usually determined on how much rain is actually coming. It's November quick and some years Kieberney Semon doesn't ripen as much as you would like it too. So you know a lot of people think of Livermore as a very warm spot. They relate to the Central Valley. We're still another little mountain range over from the Central Valley, so you know, we don't always ripen caps off.
Speaker 2: Interesting. Yeah, I'd always kind of thought of it as a warmer area. But there is this lovely breeze that you can feel when you're outside. You can feel it coming through. It's not a heavy wind right now, but you feel a consistent breeze.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in the afternoons, the winds pick up.
Speaker 4: You'll have like a fifty degree.
Speaker 3: Diurnal shift from the temperature some nighttime to daytime. Especially during this time of year.
Speaker 2: It aligns with acidity.
Speaker 3: Yes, you can maintain some nice nowidity.
Speaker 2: That's great. So are there any kind of signs or predictors you look for that are going to tell you what a harvest is going to bring?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you start. I'll start with the calendar when bud break is, and I can compare that to previous year's. A good idea was that, you know, looking over the you know the past. I've been here for ten years, so getting a better record on where we are on the swing of things. And then you have flowering when's that happening? And you look at fruits set so you know these things that those are happening in May or so. And then vasion and then it's like, okay, I bet I better get ready. I've only got you know, maybe five weeks until it's skill go go wow.
Speaker 2: So you sort of have these markers that tell you what's coming in. As long as everything stays on track, you're good. Then mother and nature can throw something at you, and that throws everything off.
Speaker 4: Huh.
Speaker 3: Yes, And you know I thought, you know, going back to where Livermore is very consistent.
Speaker 4: It's like, you know, you know, all the.
Speaker 3: Unfortunate fires up in the North Bay and nappened. Sonoma's like, oh, you know, we're just more grassy hills here and not a problem. And then twenty twenty happened, and multiple things happened that year, but we had some fires back here and it was like hardly any sun smoke ash and you know, we had a hard time ripening grapes that year because of the lack of sun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, kind of like an inversion layer.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just really sat down in here. In fact, I had some ash on some of the grapes that came in and we actually ended up not following those wines.
Speaker 2: Wow. So in the ten years that you've been here, have you established any sort of good luck rituals that you do at the start of harvest for yourself or for your team.
Speaker 3: No, it's it's reminding my wife that she's going to be a widow, a harvest widow for a couple of months, and I'll need all the help. Last year, you know, we did a cheers with my assistant, you know, with some sparkling whine, not into the last day of crush.
Speaker 2: But nothing that's sort of like a I if I don't do this, it's gonna jinx me.
Speaker 4: No, I don't know. I'm not super superstitious like that. I know.
Speaker 2: So you said you buy about eighty percent of your fruit, but obviously you have your own vineyards here, and I'm curious you spend a lot of time in the vines in the vineyards here. I'm assuming they're right outside the door. It's hard not to walk through them.
Speaker 4: I was just in there about an hour ago. I was walking the vineyard, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Curious if you tend to talk to your vines, and if so, what do you say to them?
Speaker 3: You know, I don't think I talk out loud to them, but you know, I do encourage them sometimes, like you know, are more bed We're actually currently replanting on a different acre here because it is over twenty five years old and it's in a little bit of decline. So encouragement to them and also hooting and hollering to get the deer out of there.
Speaker 2: Yelling at the animals and softly gently telling your grapes to grow.
Speaker 3: But I mean walking the vineyards is always it's almost like a zen moment.
Speaker 4: Right you get to your outside, You're in nature.
Speaker 3: In our particular vineyard, you have lovely views of the surrounding area. Mount Diablo's just standing out there, just looking right at you. And you know, it's just nice to be outside and experienced nature that way. And it's one of the you know, one of the many things that it's awesome about wine making is being inside outside and there's always something different to conquer. There's always something breaking that you have to fix it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you clearly found your passion and you found something that makes you very happy. And you know, just when you were saying that, I could see it in your eyes, like you love the indoor, outdoor and everything about that. But you said that wine. You came to wine as an accident. So I'm curious when you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Okay, so when I was little must have been I'm not sure when Top Gun came.
Speaker 4: Out, but as a little boy, that was my favorite movie.
Speaker 2: And a fighter pilot.
Speaker 3: I was gonna be a I was, but I'm too tall to be a pilot, and I do.
Speaker 4: My eyesight is fairly poor.
Speaker 3: I'm wearing contact lenses right now. But out of high school, I actually started working at airport, refueling airplanes and started working on my pilot's license.
Speaker 2: And did you ever get your pilot's license?
Speaker 4: No? I came very close.
Speaker 3: I was doing solo cross country flights and all that, and then I decided to move out of my parents' house and experienced all the bills I had to pay. And then it just so happened that my best friend from growing up had moved back from Santa Fe, New Mexico and got a job at Bernardo's Winery, and.
Speaker 2: And the rest is history pretty much.
Speaker 3: She ended up living on one of the estate houses up on a twenty acre parcel with a peteepert openyard with that borders Los Padres National Forest in beautiful country. So I've ended up moving up there with him and about a commuting to the airport to work. And about a year later a cellar position came open. And I mean I was already kind of involved with the being at the winery from them, because we would go there at night and have fun and drink from the barrels. It was, you know, twenty two year olds, would you.
Speaker 2: Well, isn't that what they call the angels fight? When the barrels? Angels share when there's a little missing from the barrel. Now we know what it is. It's it's the young guys getting into the barrels.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a lot of fun, but yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: I think my first stay there, we were working with some new barrels that had arrived and we were drinking beer doing it.
Speaker 4: It's like, this is an amazing job. And I worked my way up to assistant winemaker after five years. Of the last five years I was as assistant winemaker there.
Speaker 3: And then got a degree in fit a culture analogy. After I left there for Margaret River and washed Western Australia, worked a harvest there and then ended up at UC Davis when I came back and zipped through that program because I already knew the wine making, I learned the theoretical parts and took a little.
Speaker 2: Bit of the theory to go with the experience. So when you're not working, I don't know if you stop working, but when you're not working, how do you like to spend your free time?
Speaker 3: We were just camping up in the sierras. I've got a five month old girl and a three year old boy at home, so they, yes, they consume most of my time. But we live on a hill in Oakland with great views, so usually sunsets at the top of the hill with a glass of wine, but you know, outdoor things, camping. My wife and I were doing sailing lessons in the bay a while, and then she was pregnant with our first child and we went out once on our own. We were able to rent up to thirty five foot sell boats. We went out on our own, she was pregnant. We kind of scared ourselves and then the kids happened. So I would love to get back into sailing. I would love to get back into flying as well, but the time is short, especially.
Speaker 2: With IDs, it's going to be a little while before you have a lot of free time. But when you can carve out a little free time to make a romantic evening for you and your wife, what kind of wines do you open to set them mood for a romantic evening versus just an average night.
Speaker 3: Well, at home, it's going to be something from the cellar, But really it's the more romantic evenings are when we get to go out to dinner, and that's where I get to That's where I go nuts on the wine menu, and we end up spending a lot of money because I get to explore different wines, which I don't usually do outside outside of anything else.
Speaker 2: And when you're exploring different wines, what where do you tend to go on a menu? Do you go to a particular region or a particular variety or is it the odd balls? Like you said you brought some in here, like what what do you drawn to?
Speaker 3: Well, a lot of it will be based off what my wife and I are ordering, and I'll try and find something that meets us in between.
Speaker 4: Oftentimes, and this.
Speaker 3: Is a little trick that I figured out, as I'll look at what's available by the glass and buy the bottle, and I'll ask the waiter for samples. I have those to help me decide where I want, so I get to try a little war variety. But oftentimes it's all pick varieties that we make here just to compare and take notes, just because I don't get out and buy and consume a lot of other wines these days. It's it's more of an educational experience, but it's always going out is always a little more romantic than getting out of the house in a way from responsibilities.
Speaker 2: So when you look back at your life and how you work today, I mean, we have so many teachers, mentors, parents along the way to give us advice. Is there a piece of advice that was given to you at some point that really stuck with you.
Speaker 3: I can't think of any particular advice. When I was at Bernardist Winery, I was under two different winemakers during that stint there. The previous winemaker, who was actually a legend, had left just prior to me starting, but I got to interact with him on certain occasions.
Speaker 4: But it was the first winemaker, Mark Cheesborough.
Speaker 3: He has his own winery in Carmel Valley and he the one that brought me into the assistant winemaker position and gave me the encouragement that you have what it takes. And you know, I was a little bit nervous, like I don't have an education. It's like you can do it, you know, And he was very confident in that, in me and doing that and just his willingness to share his knowledge about wine also just about fixing things, and I think that's one of the big things that I appreciate, especially the small winery is I'm also the plumber, the electrician, the HVAC guy. And another favorite show growing up was mcguiver, So I kind of have that nia name MC everything. I have that nickname from childhood, which is very important. The windustry, you're in the middle of harvest, the pump breaks or something breaks. You know, you get in there and you troubleshoot it and figure it out, and that's very rewarding for me.
Speaker 2: So, speaking of rewarding, when you look back at your career, what is one of your proudest achievements to date?
Speaker 3: You know, being promoted to assistant winemaker was the big push that kept.
Speaker 4: Me going in this direction.
Speaker 3: When I discovered Livermore Valley, I mean just the achievement of being able to work here was great. I came here not knowing Livermore Valley at all. I came with a list of wineries I just wanted to check out after researching online, had a resume in hand, started here.
Speaker 4: First met Lanny.
Speaker 3: That day and it's just it was just it was just, you know, magic. And it's been ten years now I've been here and it is zipped right by.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: That's I mean, that's that's pretty that's pretty amazing to think of how just one promotion in a way kind of set you on a path, you know, and if it weren't for that, who knows where you'd be exactly?
Speaker 4: Who knows where I would have ended up. But I'm very happy I've ended up here.
Speaker 3: It's such a rewarding job of just there's that's great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I want you to complete this sentence for me. A table without wine is like.
Speaker 4: It's like a piece of bread with nothing on it.
Speaker 2: And you said you're not spontaneous. That was good.
Speaker 4: There's some bread, but nothing on it is delicious.
Speaker 2: So now we're at that table with your wine on it, and there's an empty seat next to you. The wine you've made is sitting on the table. Who, from any walk of life, living or deceased, do you wish you could share a bottle of finestra with.
Speaker 4: Oh that's a tough one. You have to make. You have to come back to that one. Oh boy, it could.
Speaker 2: Be someone personal, it could be someone famous, it could be someone historical.
Speaker 4: You know, that's a really tough question.
Speaker 3: I think just sitting here and in the moment, I never got the chance to meet the owner's life friend, Lannie's life friend, and I hear wonderful stories about her, so it would be great. She was so passionate about wine and wine making that it would be great to meet her and have to line with her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like that.
Speaker 4: I like that.
Speaker 2: So I'm curious. You love to drink your own wine. You don't get out that much, as you were saying, and you have two young kids, so that's a little harder. But if you were going off to a deserted island and could only take three wines with you, what would they be? Would they be your own wine? Something else? Any three wines?
Speaker 4: Oh that's tough. Do I have refrigeration on the deserted island?
Speaker 2: You have all the conditions you need for whatever wines you want.
Speaker 4: Okay, did you give how many wines?
Speaker 2: Gonna three?
Speaker 3: The rose for sure, the infrared, the GSM, blend, the all around her, and probably a soft blank because I'm going to be catching a lot of seafood. You know that's gonna be a great pairing.
Speaker 2: Selvi flot perfect three wines. Well, let's take those three wines and let's play our little game of wine and music. Pairing. So okay, so let's start with the rose. Since tis the season. It's warm out, si, it is rose season. You can feel it in the air. Tell me about that rose. What's it a rose of?
Speaker 3: It's a rose and I do I pick those grapes earlier than I picked the grapes for the red.
Speaker 4: That we do.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that is springtime, nice weather, jovial, and it's a it's a happy it's a happy wine.
Speaker 2: So what's kind of music is happy to you?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 3: You know what comes to mind is sugar Magnolia from Grateful Dead. It's you know, it kind of represents that, I think, you know, with just the just the prettiness of the song itself, the wine, you know, and.
Speaker 2: It's a it's a pretty rose.
Speaker 4: It's it's fresh, it's it's fresh.
Speaker 3: There's no residual sugar, but it almost seems like it does because it has so much fruitiness to it and it's just so refreshing and everything.
Speaker 4: And yeah, it's like a okay.
Speaker 2: What about the sauvignon blanc savion blanc.
Speaker 3: That's you know, that's got a little more zip to it, a little more acidity, a little more freshness and greenness to it, with some tropical stuff, but it's got a little zip in its step. I might go with like a vampire weekend and like a punk or something like that, so it's.
Speaker 4: Kind of a little more energy to it. I like that.
Speaker 2: I like that's very cool. Let's see we've got you know, we have your estate grenache. We didn't talk about that, and I do love a good grenache, So tell me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the grenache.
Speaker 3: You know, when people come here looking for a peanut, a wire like this is your closest thing to it. It's not a very heavy red, but it's a very pretty That's another go to wine I do. My palette tends towards more medium body.
Speaker 4: Reds versus heavy reds. It's just my own preference. Everyone has their own.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that one is just kind of come and and nice and chill, and it's just like relaxing almost, you know.
Speaker 4: It is something I would like to sit on its own without food. There were a song to go with that, Oh, it almost gonna be. These are my personal.
Speaker 2: Preference, of course, because that's exactly what it is.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be another like chill song like Bob Marley Three Little Birds or otis.
Speaker 4: Redding or you know it's gonna be some war just you know, can be.
Speaker 2: Sitting on the dog of the bay and uh, let's end with your well, no, you know what before we do the infrared, I like conjecture because I just liked or can conjunk. Oh, conjugation, conjugation, conjugation, Yes, the conjugation.
Speaker 4: Oh boy, the conjugation. That one.
Speaker 3: You know, it's a blend. It's a blend of Cabernet, Sauvillon, Cabernet, franc burlou petifer do.
Speaker 2: All back, a perfect bordo blend.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're getting some Carmonier this year, which will be fun to play with. It will be my first time getting to play with those grapes. But yeah, that's you know that one has It's just a it's very elegant wine, similar to the infrared, the blends that you know, I look for elegance and.
Speaker 4: A little bit of beauty. So something like that.
Speaker 3: Gets into you know, chef's table. It's kind of repopularize the Valdi winter from the four seasons and you know, the blends like conjugation, Infrared kind of take you through a lot of emotion and it's just beautiful and okay.
Speaker 2: So if we have Vivaldi Winter for that one, can does infrared get its own song? Because now we're at infrared. This is what the aliens get when they come here. This is your go to wine. What is infrared? What would you listen to?
Speaker 4: Valdi works for that one. Well, that's tough, it's gonna be. Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know, I keep getting back my father and my late father, and he passed away a couple of years ago. It was very into Sam Cook. So you can pick some things from there.
Speaker 2: There you go, Yeah, there you go, a little Sam Cook with infrared.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, Aaron, you survived. You did it. We made it through the conversation. You're doing okay. So I have one more question for you. It's a two parter, just to finish it up. When your kids are a little bit older and you can either leave them with the grandparents or with a babysitter or maybe take them. What wine region in the world is the top of your bucket list to explore?
Speaker 3: Boy, I don't think I can name one. You know, I've got to on my honeymoon, I got to explore Spain and so we did some regions there and you know, the pre rat was a really fun one to go to. It was very different than the other ones. And itching to get to Italy. I really like Italian varietals. I think they do well here in Livermore. We make Cassandiovesi that is one of my favorites as well, lots of natural acidity. So it ended up in Italy exploring I mean many regions, many.
Speaker 2: Regions, too many to mention, but Italy. We'll put Italy on there. And if somebody wants to come here and visit you, how can they find you? Where can they find you? And what can they experience here at Finestra Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well you can find us on web search finestrawinery dot com. We're in Livermore. When you get here, it's a very bucolic setting. It's a little bit tucked away. A lot of people don't even know it's here, and they get here, it's like, oh, my little private oasis.
Speaker 4: There's a little creek.
Speaker 3: Flowing through here, a nice little breeze, very mature trees. We have an oak tree here that I'm guessing is at least three hundred years old. And then very friendly staff and a variety of wines to explore and there's definitely something for everyone here, if not, everything's for everything everyone.
Speaker 2: And then the tasting room is in the cellar. You split time between making wine and tasting room, but it's in the building built into the ground, so you get to kind of feel like you've you enter off the ground, but you feel like you've gone underground.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and back in time a little bit too. We you know, we have some relic equipment out here from going back. There's some equipment out here from around the World War two era that's still out front. So an old pressure to stimmer. But yeah, you feel like you've stepped back in time a little bit.
Speaker 2: You were putting out some brick walls that are original.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the winery is built in eighteen eighty nine and those walls are still standing. The wooden structures were refurbished and rebuilt in the late nineties, I believe.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And so yeah, it's a very laid back atmosphere. People love coming just to hang out.
Speaker 3: You know, we'll do live music on Friday nights and other fun events and it's just a nice place to hang out.
Speaker 2: That sounds great.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: Finestra is Latin for window and it is a window onto the Livermore Valley. So, Aaron, thank you for joining us on Wine Soundtrack. I hope you had a good time. And let's go taste a little infrared.
Speaker 4: All right, that sounds good. Yeah, happy to be here. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to a new episode of Wine Soundtrack USA. For details and updates, visit our website winesoundtrack dot com.