Speaker 1: It is Kentucky and his Morning News here on news Radio eight forty whas Coffee and Company with you here, and we have Mayor Craig Greenberg here in studio. And I'm already I'm jealous of you. You've already made an appearance at the State Fair. I'm a State Fair fanatic. I don't know when I'm gonna go, but I'm gonna get out there a couple of times. Give us just how's it looking so far?
Speaker 2: It's as big as I've ever seen it. I mean, it was roaring and ready to go. Started with the commodities breakfast yesterday morning, the opening ceremonies at the Governor and Commissioner Shell and David Beck and the whole team. It looks really good out there at the fairgrounds. And I always love the State Fair. Got to say thank our first responders that are out there getting to know the public a little bit. And I'm excited to go back again myself with Rachel.
Speaker 1: The sights and sounds and the smells, I tell you what, all the different options when it comes to food. I know you were very mindful of what you put into your body, and a lot of the food that the Fair not so healthy do you have if you had the burger with the donut bun.
Speaker 2: I've not had the donut burger or the flaming Cheetos corn which is the new which is the new one? But I tell you what, I what I actually like going out there for. I eat honey, local honey every day, and so I love going out to the State Fair every year, meeting some of the beekeepers, finding some new honeys from somewhere in Kentucky for the for the coming months. So I know that's not quite as good as a funnel cake. I'll have a buye to that, dear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm I'm pretty simple. Just the Kentucky proud pork saandwich is something that that I enjoy.
Speaker 2: The one right out there in front of Freedom Hall. Those guys I think his name is Jim Bob. We had some of his corn yesterday. He's got a great place right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the corn dogs, the corn itself, a lot of good food at the fair. So I'm excited to get out there. But when it comes to just the week that we've had here in Louisville, I do believe some of the unfortunate things might have distracted folks from some awesome news when it comes to the investments made five billion dollars total when it comes to GE and for their investment in the future. And then a hometown company that's made us proud, Texas Roadhouse, continuing to invest here and they're going to stick around. Obviously, very very big for the city.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this has been so definitely a week of highs and lows. With the murder, tragic murder that we had at the bus stop as well, we have just shown what great economic momentum we have, what great momentum we have in creating good paying jobs of the future right here in Louisville. With Ford and GE and Texas Roadhouse, we've established ourselves as the center of the universe for advanced manufacturing opportunities for all industries. Texas Roadhouse is part of our growing food and beverage industry that we have here. And you know, it all really ties together because of course there was focused this week as well as it should be on this tragic murder at the bus stop. Long term, we need to create more opportunities for people. As young people have more opportunities in life, they're going to go down a better path than choosing one that results in gun violence and so creating more jobs, having businesses invest in here. That's all part of our public safety solution.
Speaker 1: When these companies decide to reinvest stick around. What is it As the mayor of the city, what do you get from feedback as far as what they like, things that really make it to where this is where they want to be.
Speaker 3: Well, there are several things. You know.
Speaker 2: First, that has to be an easy place to do business. And so you know, Kevin Nolan and ge the governor and Secretary. Nol and their team worked very closely with Trevor Paul and our Louisville Economic Development Lines and me to put a package together that was a competitive process that we had to win. Louisville has to be placed an easy place to invest, an easy place to create job. You look at forward, they've had great They have twelve thousand employees here already. They know the strength of our workhorse, they know the quality of the people that are in Louisville. We are a Ford town, sure, and so that we were able to talking to their team give them confidence to invest as much as they have in Louisville and in the surrounding communities. Here, and then of course Texas Roadhouse started by a Louisvillion Kent Taylor, who fortunately passed away too early, but his team is still They might have Texas in their name, but they've got Louisville in their heart. And what a great culture that is they're now, Nick, I don't think a lot of people realize this Texas Roadhouse is now the number one casual dining restaurant in America. They just surpassed Olive Garden, that's the biggest restaurant in America by revenue, based out of louisvill Kentucky.
Speaker 1: I think that that accomplishment led to people realizing just their growth. They're on fire right now, not only them, but the concept the other concepts that they have that are super popular. And I'll admit maybe it's just ignorance on my part. It took me a while when I was younger to even realize they're local here. I guess maybe because it's Texas, But I don't know, you know, I'm sure if I looked hard enough, I may find somebody, But I don't know many people that don't love Texas Roadhouse.
Speaker 2: That's right, and they've got two other great concepts in Bubba's thirty three and Jaggers that are growing as well.
Speaker 3: So I'm excited for their future.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no doubt. I remember sort of it being a realization to a lot of people, Wow, not only are they local, but man, they're they're killing it. And again that that to outpass Olive Garden. That's that's the number one. That's there's nobody better good stuff, no doubt. All right. So when it comes to just the community, because it seems to from my position here talking in a microphone for four hours every morning, I feel like the heightened awareness of the violence is seemingly at an all time high from those that maybe just don't even try to look for what's going on because they just live their day to day lives. If somebody wants to say, Okay, I'm not sure what I could do, but hey, I'd like to help in any way that I can. I'm just a citizen that wants to see the community do better, and they're helpless as far as knowing what they can do. What are their options?
Speaker 2: I mean, there's something that everyone can do. You might not realize it, but here are just a few things. If there's a young person that's anywhere in your circle of your life that you think needs a little help, that needs a little support, that might not have the strength of a strong parent at home, or other things to help them get a new direction. You can reach out. You can if you know somebody. If you own guns, make sure your guns are locked up at home and in the car. Be a responsible gun owner. If you have cameras on your business or on your home, particularly your business, you can connect those to our real time crime center so the police have easy access to the exterior cameras if they're needed. If none of those apply to you, you can always volunteer. We have great organizations like the Why, like Big Brothers, Big Sisters, like Boys and Girls Club that are always looking for quality adults that are going to provide positive mentorship to youth that don't have that at home and could use a little help in life. And then of course people in the professional world, I mean judges, they need to hold people accountable when they commit crimes and our police arrest them, they need to hold them accountable. Legislators they can pass some more laws to give us even more ability to take illegal guns off of their streets. So there is something in the here that everyone can do, and I'm hoping this brings our I know people are angry, I know people are upset. I certainly am mad as hell. But let's all come together and channel this anger into action. That's what we need to do after a trategy like this.
Speaker 1: I think when you are a young teenager, maybe even a little bit younger than that, you're so impressionable and if no one has been able to really make an impression on you in a positive way, it could be somebody making impression on you in a very negative way and you don't realize it, but you attach yourself to it. And that's just one of the things that you know, if you're somebody that has some time on your hands and you'd love to mentor somebody, I mean that could that could literally change someone's life and of course help improve the situation.
Speaker 2: Everybody is looking for a sense of belonging. Everyone wants to be part of a titan a group, and you know, it's it' human nature, right, and so for most of us that's our starts with our family, and we're fortunate to be born into a loving family that provides support to us. But that's not the case for everybody. There are far too many people that are born into challenging, impoverished situations in our community today and it's not being provided by a parent or a guardian. And so that's where these other organizations, that's where other people can come in. That's where teams at schools can come in. JCPS plays a big role in what they do, but they can't be held responsible alone. You know, we need parents and everyone else in the community to help out.
Speaker 1: And that's you know, all we can do is is encourage change and provide ways in which people can But just the mindset that we have to tell people that they're responsible for their kids, it's still something that's baffling to me. But I mean it was reiterated by Chief Humphrey a few weeks ago, and obviously doctor Yearwood said it when speaking earlier this week.
Speaker 2: So yeah, Nick, let me add one more thing to my list that I forgot because I usually start with this, but it's still it's still early. The one other thing that people can do is if you know anything about a crime, let the police know. You can do it anonymously five seven four LMPD. If you're not comfortable making that phone call, tell somebody else who might do that. We need to know there are people who are at the bus stop that saw this shooting happen, that have seen certain crimes happen. Let us know so we can hold those individuals responsible.
Speaker 1: The father of one of the teenagers that was arrested seeing that he was the one that turned his son, and that's certainly an awful situation all the way around. But if more people did that, that can only help.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. I hope everyone sees that interview with They're powerful father, very powerful. Providing information to hold people accountable is safer for the person who's responsible, and it's much safer for our community.
Speaker 1: Mayor Greenberg is with us here on news radioate fort E WHS. One more thing I wanted to talk about. I know that there's been some efforts to really make Bargetown Roads safer, more and more enjoyable for everyone. What I mean, clearly there's been some things in the works for a while now, But what's the plan moving forward in order to get Bargetown Road back to what you want it to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So earlier this summer, there were some issues with some large groups gathering that were unruly and doing things that are not permitted, and so we wanted to take action. Bargetown Road is one of our great streets and great in great neighborhoods in our community. It's got great restaurants, great retail, great bars, and of course surrounded by great neighborhoods. That's what we want is we want a thriving, balanced neighborhood where there's commercial things going on as well as residential. And it got a little bit out of whack earlier this summer, so we took action. And one of the things we did we're always looking for new ways because the police can't solve any one of these problems that we're talking about on their own. We need we need to do other things as well. So one new thing that we're doing released earlier recently, here is a new survey and it's not just for Bargetown Road. It's for people anywhere across the city. A survey that people can provide what they view. You know, are there bars, clubs in their neighborhood that are causing big issues, negative influences. We want people to be specific just a complaint. It's not a social media comments sectionific information. We're looking for specific information because every year when some of these places come up for renewal, there's an opportunity to consider public sentiment, and so we want to have that considered. And I'm thrilled that we've gotten over six hundred survey responses already just since Tuesday when we release this that.
Speaker 1: That's good to hear people who live there they care about that community in that area.
Speaker 2: And if you don't live on the Bargetown Road corridor, we've got a survey up as well on ABC's website for any other part of the community if they are establishments that are causing problems in your neighborhood. I know the vast majority of our vast, fast, vast majority, nearly all of our restaurants and bars are great citizens. Louisville is a hospitality town. We want people to have fun here. You just got to do it by the rules. And there are a couple that are really causing problems for everyone. That's what we want to focus on is those very few institutions that are causing the issues.
Speaker 1: All Right, I know you've got a chance to see some Louisville football this week at practice. Give me some insight info.
Speaker 2: How are we looking well, looking very good to me, looking like if I took one of those tackles, I would never get up.
Speaker 1: Same here, we look like we have a really good team.
Speaker 2: Of course, I'm no expert, but I've got great faith in coach Brahm and his entire coaching team. I got a chance to meet a couple of players who seem like wonderful young men, and so I'm really excited about this year's football season. And you know the fact that we were left out of the top twenty five, hopefully that's a little extra motivation for the team to just prove the world that the Cards are going to be on a roll this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't know if they were looking for any added motivation, but it was there, especially considering that off to such a good start with good momentum in the first two years of the Jeff Brown era. But yeah, it's still crazy. He's back home. Nobody better to lead Louisville football than a brom.
Speaker 2: And I'm really excited. We have eight home games this year, so we have more for the fans. That's gonna be fun for this town.
Speaker 1: No doubt. Craig, thank you as always for your time. Keep up, keep it up, keep keep on doing what you're doing. And I know there's a lot that goes into it, but appreciate you.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much, Nick. I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll take a quick break, get to traffick in weather and we've got much more to come here on news Radio forty w h a S. All right, final segment for us here on news Radio forty WHS. But don't worry, fear not. You're in good hands. We've got Tony and Dwight headed your way and they're with me right now.
Speaker 4: Fellas, last night was Bob Sieger Knight on the back desk. I saw that, Oh man, we uh because of John Alden played the night moves and I said, Jackie came in towns Dwight moves.
Speaker 3: That's NIX for the show. By the way, Watt's move.
Speaker 4: We do it at the top of each hour for your show. Really, it's every hour. Okay, I didn't know that, So.
Speaker 1: Should I revisit it? Because it's not it's it's it's perfect. It's mellow, No.
Speaker 3: It's perfect when you're here. Line in that song, I used her, she used me. Neither one cared.
Speaker 1: It's a beautiful range.
Speaker 4: Man, it's a great summer So it's a summer song.
Speaker 1: Now. I'm only gonna say working on to the wide move. Thanks for putting that in my brain.
Speaker 4: That was actually pretty good, dude, did you were you a singer.
Speaker 1: Only in the shower? But when I when I sing, when I sing about Dwight, I kind of go into a different element vocally because it's a powerful thing.
Speaker 3: Oh well, man, he sounds terrific in the shower. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean, I don't know, it's just the way it's going there with us. But man, this sounds great.
Speaker 1: I've been working on it means a lot.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 4: She's taking Moose out to the fair.
Speaker 1: Oh hell yeah.
Speaker 3: What's his favorite thing out there?
Speaker 1: It's gonna be the animals, right, I mean, so, I feel like he's going to be at an age this year where he'll he'll act. Actually, I'll tell you what his favorite thing is. He loves the law enforcement set up fire departments.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I forgot they still do that.
Speaker 1: And I wish I could take credit for it, because it's not been anything that I specifically had an emphasis on. But he he thinks that cops and firefighters are the biggest heroes. In the world, which is awesome, and I hope he never goes out of that. But so he's not a product of j CPS count at this time.
Speaker 4: When when you see that those armored vehicles they have out there, you mean to look at them and say, about the time you start using this in the city.
Speaker 1: Well, all the vehicles they have set up, they'll let some of the kids like get in them. That's the coolest thing.
Speaker 5: That's one cool thing about National Night Out. It was just like two weeks ago. Every district has one and you get out there, swats out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's cool.
Speaker 4: I was going to say, Alzheimer's is a real thing.
Speaker 3: It is a real thing.
Speaker 4: Yes, and you and your kiss Army T shirt.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 1: I brought up. I brought up me in the shower. And now do I can't keep his head on.
Speaker 5: Do they still have that little tiny town where you take a driver's Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, the Kentucky State Police have Yeah.
Speaker 3: You still have that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then they let you put the goggles on to where it looks like I.
Speaker 3: Got a duy in that little town.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh, I think there's still a warning out.
Speaker 4: We used to yeah, we used to do a bit to where he would get on the tricycle and race the other kids, like the six year olds, and then the state police would come in and lock him up. Well we need to do that this.
Speaker 1: Are you going to be doing the show at the fair?
Speaker 4: And no I don't and don't mention it to us.
Speaker 5: So uh no, I don't think so no, And we've done our fair share of the fair.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, so, but I'd still like going out there. Jackie loves going on.
Speaker 1: I have a weird obsession with the fair. I can't. I just I think the root of it for me is that it absolutely is the people watching capital of the world. There's so much to see, fantasist. I can't get enough of it.
Speaker 3: My mother is in eighties. She's out there every day. She was out there yesterday, kick it off.
Speaker 1: Walk around the fair.
Speaker 4: Couples are great, the ones with the arrow and the T shirt says, I'm was stupid. I mean it's it is, It's fantastic.
Speaker 3: They still about the yard stick. That was a big deal.
Speaker 4: Well, and back in the day used to give away free cigarettes. Yeah, yeah, cigarettes. They would just give cartons of cigarettes out at the State Fair.
Speaker 1: I O the line was down down.
Speaker 3: The block is there still? Can you still get an invisible dog on a leash? There? I wanted. I wanted an invisible dog on a leash. They still have those, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Or moccasins. You should be able to you should be able to get the moccasin shoes or boots out.
Speaker 3: There have you?
Speaker 1: So the and this is just me being a nerd. Each county has a booth. Yeah, they they're they're I guess, trying to sell what makes them special, what they're known for. And that always interests me because you know, we have a lot of counties in this state compared to its others. And uh yeah, that's just one of those things like there's little like for example, my father's family originally is from from Greensburg, Green County and the Doomas Walker song like that shs from the Slowburger fries and a bottle of ski. So they always have some reference of ski in their in their booth. And I don't know, I just I think that because that's I always.
Speaker 4: Love they They have they award bales of hay, so there'll be three bails of things that you get ordered. They'll have a first second and third, and I'm looking at going they're all the same bail of height. Oh.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm no expert, but like some of these things that end up getting the best of this, I'm like, did they flip a coin?
Speaker 4: Yea, this has half Alpa, did you real quick before we go that. Did you see the video? I think it was Texas or Oklahoma where a little kid he looks about six years old and he had his pet goat and he came in fourth place and he was hugging and kissing his gun, and I was like, that's adorable.
Speaker 1: It's only things like that you see at the fair. All right, have it go with fellas