Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty and it's.
Speaker 2: Tech Thursday, and you know what that means. Marcia Collier joins us in studio. Marsha, you look radiant tonight. Is there a special occasion?
Speaker 3: No, you know, I just decided I'm gonna start dressing better and I'm going to wipe out as many negative thoughts as possible. So we're palette cleansing, all right for the audience tonight.
Speaker 2: I wish we were actually doing the live YouTube show because your hair is just gorgeous. I mean, you have this long red hair. It's so vibrant. I said, you noticed it as well, Right, I.
Speaker 4: Think I'm gonna cut it just a little.
Speaker 5: No, don't do that, don't you dare.
Speaker 2: Look, if I being a smart ass that I usually am, if your husband wasn't sitting here, I'll say, so, so, what's what's what's the name of your new boyfriend or something?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 3: No, actually, the deal is I was born with red hair, and hair color fades and then you get grays. But when I wear my natural color, I'm totally washed out.
Speaker 4: This one of our problems. Totally washed out.
Speaker 3: I look like a ghost because I'm very pale skin.
Speaker 4: I should be in O'Kelly.
Speaker 5: What do you mean, I'm the only old Kelly hair.
Speaker 3: Oh well, and so I have to keep my hair my color.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 4: I can't look even look in a mirror with.
Speaker 5: It's a very pleasant contrast. I like it.
Speaker 4: I like it, Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: But I didn't come here to have you come here just to be complimented on your hair.
Speaker 5: I mean, let's talk about tech.
Speaker 2: And I know a common question that I hear in a common question I think about, is how should we go about cleaning our phone or cleaning our keyboard, you know, not only for the health of the device, but also our health.
Speaker 3: Well, I'll give you my methods, my tried and true methods, and then i'll give you what the experts.
Speaker 5: There's what they do and there's what I do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I'm not going to go into what you're supposed to do to clean ear pod or air pods. Yeah, I don't use that's so gross, it's just not even Yeah, this is why I can't wear an ear thing.
Speaker 2: I want no part of it. People can't see us. But we're both using over ear headphones. That's one of the main reasons.
Speaker 3: Well, and also it isolates the sound a whole lot better. True, I don't care what anybody says.
Speaker 4: They don't.
Speaker 3: I'll take a bowse noise canceling headset over ear air pods a.
Speaker 5: Lot, by a lot any day. But I'm sorry I was getting in your work.
Speaker 4: That's okay.
Speaker 3: Keyboards, yes, not the one that's first of all built into your laptop. But the theory is just the same. Pick up the keyboard, but unplug its best. Yeah, turn it over, put it on a paper towel, and go bam bama like a bad child, and you will be surprised.
Speaker 4: Old chips right moth.
Speaker 5: Oh it's nasty. I've done it many times, just like, oh my gosh, that.
Speaker 3: Was that was That was my keyboard, right, And if you don't hit it too hard, that's good. If you hit it too hard, I once knocked the key one of the keys off my keyboard, so don't smack it too hard. Also, if you're a little OCD like I am, I have a white keyboard.
Speaker 4: I love my white keyboard.
Speaker 3: What I do is when I'm working or you know, thinking about things, I take a Q tip and I put it in a general cleaner, something not really strong, you know, maybe a Missus Myers or something that's doesn't eat off the letter keys, although I did do that to one, and you can buy the stickers for the put them back on.
Speaker 2: I'm here to tell you if you use too much hand sanitizer and that hand sanitizer hits the keyboard, yep, your keyboard's done.
Speaker 4: Well, Jesse.
Speaker 3: You know on Amazon, because once I was given a laptop that was from Europe and they got all different keys, and a quirdy keyboard isn't exactly the same. So I bought these stickers on Amazon and they cost next to nothing, and you can replace the stickers on your keys nice and clear, and you'll actually, if it's at black, you'll never see that there's anything on there.
Speaker 5: I have.
Speaker 2: This is what I use, and you don't know that I use this, but I want to share this. Do you ever use compressed air?
Speaker 3: I use, Well, after you give the little keyboard a spanking, keep being a bad keyboard, then you give it a with the uh whush, well what's it? I mean the compressed air, and then that blows out a lot of stuff that you can't really see because that's little stuff and dust.
Speaker 4: So you know that's now the experts, you know, they have.
Speaker 3: All all the different things and how to clean them and how you have to use certain things. But you know they make products for cleaning technology and instead of using isopropyl alcohol rubbing alcohol for those who don't know, knock yourself out by a two ninety nine bottle of the cleaner that's meant for the thing, for example, flat screen TVs or your screen on your laptop, or don't ever spray the cleaner onten even if it's meant to be used. I use one called Woosh Whoosh, and they never sponsored me, but great product. You can clean your glasses with it. You can clean the non shiny screens with it. Shiny screens doesn't streak. Just spray it on a microfiber cloth.
Speaker 5: Like you wouldn't for your glasses.
Speaker 3: Right, never spray directly on it, and never use anything other than a microfiber cloth on any of your technology.
Speaker 2: That's great to know because, especially since we have touchscreen laptops, you can very easily ruin a screen on a laptop and not forget that. Yeah, and that means the laptop is pretty much done and it's a.
Speaker 3: Mess, and if you have to keep using it because you don't have the money to buy a new one, it's so much easier to take care of it than God, I sound like my mother.
Speaker 2: All the advice they gave us that we did. Want to listen to it and all of a sudden you start reciting it verbatim.
Speaker 3: Well we knew back in the day when By the way, Nintendo's coming out with a new switch, but we're not talking about it because it's not coming out till June, so let's not give them any extra publicity. But how to keep game consoles and games clean?
Speaker 4: Now, what's the way you do that?
Speaker 5: Blow on it? So I did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, at least back in the cars stays, we would blow out in the cart and everything.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I mean it's like a harmonica and you'd blow on it.
Speaker 5: Back to the compressed air.
Speaker 4: Wow, I never thought of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think blowing on it gave the extra moisture.
Speaker 4: I think that helped the electronic content.
Speaker 5: Look, I still blow on my phones everything. It's almost like when a doubt, just blow on it.
Speaker 3: Oh, speaking up totally, as we're getting totally off topic. Mainly in iPhones, I've never done it in an Android take a tooth If your phone is charging slowly, take a toothpick and stick it in your charger hole.
Speaker 5: Watch now this is this is a you guess for kids.
Speaker 3: You get a giant dust bunny inside iPhone.
Speaker 2: Now, I've used Q tips for my charging port. Would you recommend that or against that?
Speaker 3: I would use a toothpick only because it's like a little spear and you can get in there. And if there's an actual bunny, a dust by, you know, all sticking together, you're not shredding it or anything, and you can just lift it out easily. So you're getting MOW and my tips because when you know, go over all surfaces with a warm cloth and either water general purpose cleaner, or a mix that's half isopropyl alcohol in half water. But there is a thing called my cellar water, which ladies you may know about m I C E L L A R. That's a special kind of water that you can clean your face with. They've been using it for over a century in France and Europe and it can clean your face without drying out your skin.
Speaker 4: It's great.
Speaker 3: The my cells are tiny, tiny little oil things, so it's not super drying, which is why they tell you to dilute the isopropyl out alcohol. My seller water good for cleaning keyboards and game consoles and things like that, and the frame around your TV.
Speaker 2: All that is great stuff. When we come back, though, Marsha, we have talked about AI in various forms and permutations for quite some time, but I wonder whether AI has kept up its side of the bargain. We're totally supposed to change our lives. It's going to change our economy, change the way that we live, change technology.
Speaker 5: Has it happened yet?
Speaker 3: So basically we're calling the next segment over promised and underperformed.
Speaker 4: We can talk about that.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 4: She parted with Silent.
Speaker 2: I AM six forty. It's Later with mo Kelly live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app. And just to remind you, starting Monday, we'll have a live video stream of the show. You might as well go follow me on YouTube at mister mo Kelly m R m O K E L L Y. We're gonna give it a go. It'll probably have some bumps and bruises and some bugs, but we're still going to do it starting Monday, so go ahead and start following me at mister B Kelly, m R m OK E L L Y. We're bringing a video component to later with MO Kelly and I can't wait for you to see, among other people, Marshall Collier every Thursday.
Speaker 5: You should see here right now. She's just radiant.
Speaker 4: Now we have good lighting. We have good lighting.
Speaker 2: Before the break, we were teasing how you and I talked about AI. The world has talked about AI. The tech world has gone crazy over AI. And we had these maybe delusions of grandeur as far as what AI was going to do in the near term, and it hasn't quite turned out that way.
Speaker 4: Wait a minute, what did we really think it was going to do well?
Speaker 2: You had people who were the doomsayers, who are going to say this is going to be, you know, the terminator of sky Neet, and there were other people going to say, hey, it's going to change our lives and write all our term papers and write music and create movies.
Speaker 3: And we've found out the only thing it's really good for, and now they've been caught are tech coders. When they apply for jobs, they're usually given questions that they have to write coding for and it's all they all cheat recent article and they all get caught because they're all turning in the same code. So yeah, and if you remember a couple of months ago they announced Alexa Plus, Yes, this was their new AI who and you know we were talking, well, I don't term my Alexa on the house anymore and whatever. Yeah, good reason. But the fact is they never came out with a full version of Alexa Plus. I haven't been able to find anybody who actually paid green money to use Alexaplus, and I'm trying anybody out there. You want to message me on social media at Marshall Collier just let me know nobody's using it. And Amazon admitted they've only reached a small number of customers. They won't say how small. Of course, their goal is to get millions of customers using Alexaplus in May.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: According to my schedule here, May is awfully close.
Speaker 5: So we're talking about three and a half weeks, right.
Speaker 3: I don't think it happened. It's going to happen. Supposedly it was going to. On stage demos showed it giving a complicated uber order answering questions about users email and calendars.
Speaker 4: But just remember one thing.
Speaker 3: Just like Hippa only covers you when you're in the doctor's office and the doors closed, and that data is between you. The minute you mentioned family names and things like that, to a learning language machine, which is what AI is, it becomes part of its learning base and it will remember, so.
Speaker 5: It's studying you more than you're utilizing it.
Speaker 3: Yes, I mean, I'm lousy at writing podcast titles. So I go and I'm testing all the different ones because I you know, episode titles, because you need episode titles. And I told chat GPT that they were just spewing crap and could they just please give me something that didn't look like bad clickbait?
Speaker 4: So they have to learn from us.
Speaker 3: And again, Apple another one who promised last June as part of iOS eighteen, which launched in September, that they were going to come out with all this magical stuff, a much more personal theory, who would scan your calendars previous ahead, would know when your appointment. But wait a minute, my phone does that already already? Yeah, I don't really need that. If I put in someone's birthday under birthdays in Google Calendar, I get a notification on my lock screen every day for a month before that, so I do not forget family.
Speaker 5: By I can't remember with the damn.
Speaker 3: So yeah, right, and Apple ran an iPhone sixteen pro ad that highlighted how this more personal theory could scan previous calendar appointments to help recall the name of someone you once met at a coffee shop.
Speaker 4: Eh, where's that going to come from?
Speaker 5: It's like I didn't put it in my calendar, so where's it?
Speaker 3: But this was a video that they ran, but the company stopped running the ad and mysteriously it vanished from their YouTube account.
Speaker 5: Thank you for that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, tech giants make a lot of promises, and let's face it, is there anything and message me? And I'd love to hear. Marcia Collier dot com has a contact page. Let me know what you want to use AI for. It was, frankly, aside from recipes and podcast episode titles, I really it seems pretty rudimentary.
Speaker 2: Now you can say, hey, it's created some cool movie trailers and some art, but that's.
Speaker 4: Not helping the consumer and our listeners are consumers.
Speaker 2: No, that's the distinction I'm trying to get to. Is it creating anything which is of great utility.
Speaker 3: Exactly exactly, it's great on a business. I can see where definitely it's going to help business is H and M Women's fashion store are making thirty AI models based on real models. These models have to sign away. There was the name, image and likenesses. Yeah, and it was a big deal. But anyway, they signed contracts and they don't get extra money, and their image and likeness can be morphed and AI for years.
Speaker 5: That's kind of scary.
Speaker 4: Well, I did feel kind of grateful.
Speaker 3: I did get a voiceover thing for playing a cat, but I really couldn't figure out how a cat talked, so I didn't do I didn't go, I didn't answer no the dialogue.
Speaker 4: I was to play the cat and then say dialogue.
Speaker 3: No to say but there were words, right, yeah, I couldn't do that. So anyway, by the way, our last thing spring cleaning. Yes, want to get rid of old devices, old printers, old household items. Take them to best Buy. They take three household items per household per day for free for recycling, including desktop, computers and printers.
Speaker 2: What are you supposed to do to make sure that your data has been removed? Just wipe it or what what do you recommend?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, this is where my sadistic thing comes out. I pull out the hard drive now, either I keep it. Usually I do keep it. I buy a case on Amazon for it, and you just plug it in and you can access that anytime through a USB cable.
Speaker 5: It makes sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that way you can get your old data, or you can put on safety glasses and take a drill to it.
Speaker 5: Thank you for the safety glasses recommendation.
Speaker 4: Well, we try to keep everybody protected here, Marsha.
Speaker 5: Did you have any trouble with the weather getting here today?
Speaker 3: No, it was really funny. That was insane weather. All of a sudden, the clouds came over our house. There's under lightning, it's dark, it's pounding down.
Speaker 5: I'm saying, oh, did you get Hale? I got Hale.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it felt like I was hearing Hale, but I didn't see Hale. But you know, I bad vision anyway. But it was unbelievable. But it lasted for about.
Speaker 4: Twenty five minutes, not long, and then wis gone and the sun came out again.
Speaker 3: And that's why we live in southern California.
Speaker 1: You're listening to later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty