Speaker 1: Let's get it drivetime Monday afternoon. We are looking at about seven minutes past the hour or two o'clock.
Speaker 2: Really hot weekend.
Speaker 1: But it settled a little bit to start the week. It's about seventy six degrees and sunny. It's a beautiful day here in downtown Salt Lake City, Utah, and as it is every single day, it's good to.
Speaker 2: Have you along for the ride. Spence check.
Speaker 1: It's behind the Mike, Porter Larsen beyond the glass today producing the program, booking the program. We have a lot to do on this Monday afternoon. When we said goodbye to you on Friday afternoon, we wondered if we'd be previewing a Game seven in the Eastern Conference playoffs tonight in New York at Madison Square Garden.
Speaker 2: But ATMSG will be dark tonight.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Maybe they have a concert, no basketball as the Indiana Pacers got it done.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: It's an impressive group led by their head coach Rick Carlisle, who's a Hall of Famer, and after taking Dallas to the championship in twenty eleven.
Speaker 2: It was a really weird Mavericks.
Speaker 1: Team, dark waste Dirk, but they were able to win a championship that not a lot of people saw it coming. And if you look at the odds for Indiana to be in the NBA Finals, it was twenty nine.
Speaker 2: To one, twenty nine to.
Speaker 1: One to start the playoffs. They started the season ten and fifteen, and now they're going to the finals and I think they're gonna get smoked. We'll talk about it as Okac has been waiting, So we'll get into NBA playoff basketball. We'll preview the NBA Finals. We'll also preview the Stanley Cup Finals. Can Edmonton be the first Canadian hockey club to win Lord Stanley's Cup in thirty two years. It is a rematch of the Stanley Cup final from a year ago where Florida won three games and Edmonton won three games and Florida got done in game seven. So we'll talk some Stanley Cup Finals in some NBA finals. Both of those, by the way, series can be heard here on ESPN seven hundred, so kind of keep that in mind where your home of the NBA finals in the Stanley Cup, Fiitols hockey gets going on Wednesday and then basketball gets going on Thursday. We have turned our calendars to June that's important around here because that means it is the NBA Draft and the NHL Draft coming up in just a few weeks. We'll have great coverage for you Draft night here on the station. We'll do a show comprehensively covering the first round, then the second round, ironically enough, will be taking place during our show the next day, so we'll be able to react to that in real time. The Utah Jazz made a surprise hire today.
Speaker 2: Nobody saw this coming.
Speaker 1: Austin Ainge has been hired as the Utah Jazz President of basketball Operations. Of course, Austin is Danny's son. Austin worked for Danny in Boston. He was hired to be the G League head coach, did some scouting, and he has spent a total of seventeen years working for the Celtics. Justin Zannik remains in his role as the general manager. Austin is going to address the media in aut an hour from right now. We're going to replay those comments for you coming up.
Speaker 2: On the four o'clock hour.
Speaker 1: So what does this mean for the front office structure.
Speaker 2: We'll get into it a little bit.
Speaker 1: You know, I've known Austin a long time I've known the Ange family a long time, so we'll.
Speaker 2: Kind of get into this and what does this mean.
Speaker 1: About the role of his dad and how will it work with he and Justin's antik day to day. So we'll get into that story on the program today. RSL just you know, maybe we should just start giving our guy ck credit because he seems to call these things pretty early.
Speaker 2: He said, it feels like a last year.
Speaker 1: Probably is the Galaxy had not won a game all year, and then RSL rolls in and they smoke them to nil. A bit of a break for the soccer club and badly needed because they're really bad. It's not even fun to watch right now. So do a little soccer on the show today too. Of course, of local interest, Major League Baseball is kind of moving into the consciousness now and Big.
Speaker 2: Twelve meetings took place over.
Speaker 1: The weekend in Orlando, so a lot of things to get to, including the potential expansion of not just the CFP, but how about the NCAA basketball tournament. Charlie Baker with some interesting comments in that direction. So we'll get to some offseason college football stuff. NFL shit time allowed, We've got a good college football guest on the show as well, So a lot to do on a Monday afternoon. Kyle Bond of Gurro will start things off from ESPN. Kyle wrote a piece for ESPN dot com two weeks ago after the civil suit was filed against Jake Rhet's Laugh. No up to date information regarding anything there. If anything, of course drops while we're on air, we'll bring it to you. So we'll talk to Kyle about the rets laugh stuff, and we'll talk to Kyle about the expansion of the CFP Big twelve storylines and such. Tom Haberstrow NBA Daily Assist Style. On a Monday afternoon, we'll bring in Tom to preview the NBA Finals. We'll do some drafts and jazz offseason. Richard Smith that about Smitty live in studio for an entire hour today starting at three point thirty, and then we will bring you the Austin Ange Conference after Smitty bounces in studio and we'll go from there. On a Monday afternoon, Happy Monday to you. Hope you had a great weekend. The weather was beautiful, it was hot, but it was fun. Hopefully got outside. Kyle Bonaguerra, Tom Habershaw Richard Smith Austin Ah's press conference.
Speaker 2: Me spence check it to all of you the great listeners.
Speaker 1: Oh, Porter, I give you so much credit for your optimism on Friday when I asked you are we going to do?
Speaker 2: You have sunglasses on in the studio?
Speaker 5: What are you doing? It's bright in here. You have to have the shades.
Speaker 2: Up, so I like natural light.
Speaker 1: Do I have to remind you the Larry David Lyne on people to wear sunglasses inside. There are only two types of people to wear sunglasses in side? Porter her, can you say it on the radio? I think blind people an a hole. I can't say the whole thing, but you can say.
Speaker 6: That I'm not blind. I am a little light sense that I have a lot of concussions. Okay, I get like a little shaky when I get like stressed out usually, but also with some lights sound sensitivity, so sometimes I maybe wear sunglasses.
Speaker 1: Look at our YouTube channel, Porter looks like the lead singer from the Lumineers right now.
Speaker 6: The Lumineers. Yeah, Wesley, you've got a lot of Joe Walsh.
Speaker 5: I've never gotten Lumineers before.
Speaker 1: He's got the long hair like you have, and he wears a song graud. But anyway, I applaud you for your optimism. When I asked you on Friday, will we be previewing the NBA Finals or Game seven? You said game seven? Yeah, didn't go didn't go our way? Didn't go our way?
Speaker 5: It didn't, it didn't. It's a it's a bummer.
Speaker 6: It's a bummer, but it gives Nicks fans like almost like a out of your misery moment, like a just move on. It's uh, it was, it was what was going to happen at some point, so stop putting it off. The old the old Yeller. We got old Yeller this weekend. But other than that, the weekend was fun.
Speaker 1: Was that a reference to a dog being shot and put down? Is that what that was?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You taken edible this morning. You're good?
Speaker 5: No, I'm great, all right? Old Yeah, old Yeller might not be the right reference.
Speaker 1: I understand what you're saying because a little visual. We'll talk about it. Like, if you're a Nick fan, you have to view this year as a total win. Yeah, if for no other reason, you blocked Boston from winning another championship.
Speaker 6: And Old Yeller had a great, awesome life. Hitty, lovely yellow lab on a big farm out living in the grass.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, and then it came to a screeching halt. Sometimes it does, it does, and it happened on Saturday. All right, Kyle Bonagura College Football, our first guest right out of the gates. But before we get to Kyle on a Monday afternoon, courtesy of our good friends and your good friends too at Prize Picks, it's time now for your opening tip.
Speaker 8: Welcome to the.
Speaker 9: Drive with Spence check its on Utah's number one sports talk now into the studios of ESPN seven hundred to set the scene for the show. The opening tip of the Drive is brought to you by Prize Picks. Use the code ESPN seven hundred and run your game with Prize Picks.
Speaker 1: Prize Pick it's best place to turn your sports knowledge into cash. With millions of members, Prize Picks has made daily fantasy sports accessible to all. You just pick more or less on at least two players for shots went up to two thousand times your cash. You can run your game all season long on Prize Picks.
Speaker 2: Do you know ball? Question mark?
Speaker 1: There's only one series left in the playoffs, and the championship is officially on the line.
Speaker 2: That means time is running out for you to put.
Speaker 1: Your final take so to the test on Prize Picks, the best place to cash in on your favorite sports.
Speaker 2: Here is what you do.
Speaker 1: You download the Prize Picks aut today, use the promo code ESPN seven hundred, and when you play your first five dollars lineup, they're just gonna hook you up with fifty dollars on the house. You do not have to win that lineup, just play it and use the promo code ESPN seven hundred and they're automatically gonna give you fifty dollars in your account. So check them out. Prize Picks where you can run your game all season long. All right, quick thought on the Pacers nixt series, and you know, it's it's interesting looking at where the Knicks are now and really understanding that this is ahead of schedule for where they were supposed to be. Nobody thought they were beating Boston. And if Jason Tatum doesn't get hurt, they probably don't, that's my opinion. Or if Joe Missoula decides to do anything other than continue to jack up contested thirty two footers, Boston probably wins.
Speaker 10: It.
Speaker 1: My guess is Boston was watching Indiana New York and they were livid at themselves for not taking advantage of this opportunity, because Boston really was built for one more run based off of how their books are structured now because they have new ownership, and according to Bobby Marks, their luxury tax bill next year just to have their roster will be north of five hundred million dollars. I don't care how much money you have, that's a lot of money just to pay for the right to have the team, let alone what you're actually paying the players. So my guess is the new ownership is going to task their front office, which no longer includes Austin Ams. We'll get to the Austin News in a bit two make some hard decisions, and that probably means may Jalen Brown's available, maybe Derek White, maybe Drew Holliday. Are there takers for Drew Holliday at this stage of his career, Jalen Brown is making a lot of money. Anybody would pay Jalen Brown that money because he's that good. But no one's gonna take Tatum. I mean, Tatum's out for an entire year. You gotta wait to see what that looks like. So Boston was really built to win this thing again this year, and they should have. I mean, they were my pick to win it, certainly the East. And then I think a lot of people thought we were just in for Boston OKC in the final because they were both so good when they were healthy in the regular season. Of course, Oklahoma City lives up to their side of things, and Boston with an unexcusable loss to a team that they're just better than. So the fact that the Knicks were able to advance to the Eastern Conference finals, like, if you're a Nick fan at all, it's a win. It doesn't make the end better, and it certainly stings even more that it's the freaking Pacers who I just can't stand and have not been able to stand for a number of different years.
Speaker 2: And I have a lot of respect for Rick Carlisle.
Speaker 1: I think this is a really, really good basketball team, and Rick himself has been pretty front facing and honest about how good they're playing. It's kind of interesting to hear him both after the Cavs series and now after the Knicks series basically say they ran into us when we were playing our best basketball. The year by far Indiana started out the year ten and fifteen, there were people wondering if they needed to break up Siakam and Haliburton. Side note, how is how is Tyreese Saliburton not the MVP of that series?
Speaker 2: Siakam was awesome?
Speaker 1: And this isn't like a andre Iguidala wins the finals MVPs over Stephan Curry. I mean, that was historically stupid for anybody who voted for Iguadala over Steph, like Steph was the only reason they were in that series in the.
Speaker 2: First place and able to win it.
Speaker 1: Yes, I know, Iguadala guard Lebron save it like that was such a crime.
Speaker 2: It was so atrocious. This wasn't that bad.
Speaker 1: But if you go if you go back and watch the postgame stuff, as Ernie Johnson is about to announce the Eastern Conference Player of the Series, I think it's the Larry Bird Award now.
Speaker 2: And the league is doing this thing where they've created.
Speaker 1: More awards so they can attach historical, you know, special names to the awards. And that's great, it's all good. You should respect the history of the league in the game. But when Ernie said, and the winner of the Eastern Conference Finals MVP is Tyrese Halliburton took a step towards the stage, like he started walking towards Ernie and he said, Pascal Siakam, And if you look at Halliburton's face, he's like, wait what.
Speaker 2: It was wild? I mean, And the vote was five to four.
Speaker 1: There were only nine voters, but he was ready to go take the trophy and then Ernie announces it with Siakam.
Speaker 2: Hey, look like I said, this is not.
Speaker 1: Like an atrocity of historic proportions like the staph at wadalas stuff thing. But Tyres Halliburton makes them go. He dictates pace in a way that very few lead guards in the NBA can do right now. He was more or less really really good all series long. His worst game was the game that the Knicks gut in New York. But he makes everything go for them, and Siakam did a really really good job because and we'll get to the cat stuff. I think the Knicks have a cat problem. I'm not sure. And for listeners that are confused, that's Karl Anthony Towns. They don't literally have cats everywhere, but I think they've got an issue with cat I'm not sure. What you do with it, but Karl Anthony Towns eight miles Turner's lunch. And then when they tried former jazz man Tony Brawdley, that didn't work either.
Speaker 2: And also another.
Speaker 1: Side note like ultimately, like if Thomas Bryant is knocking down threes, we can go home.
Speaker 2: There's nothing else to do.
Speaker 1: Like their third string center who could barely get on the floor, is knocking down threes, you know, like he's Ray Allen all of a sudden. It's that was a wild side note. Former Nikovi Topham was really good. But I said this after Game five in preparation for Game six six, I'm like, the one way the Knicks can get this done is if they replicate the defensive effort and intensity in game six then we saw in Game five, and they didn't.
Speaker 2: They just didn't. The closeouts once again were horrible.
Speaker 1: Kat defensively was a sieve and Indiana feasting on him. It was just a decent Jalen game, not a great Jalen game. OG was awesome. Michel Bridges has taken a ton of crap in the New York media today because the Knicks traded all their draft capital for him and he was just okay, not great, but for an elimination game. The fact that like Landry Shammitt may have been one of your best players and at least was out there giving effort. And we saw, you know, twelve minutes from Delon Wright. They got ran off the floor in the third quarter. And what happened at the start of the game is exactly what we've been talking about all along. The Pacers want to push it. They want to get up and down, and they want to get up and down off of makes. And if you're Tom Thibodeau and you're watching tape of Game six and you see four runouts for Dunkster layups off Nick makes, that is going to haunt you your entire offseason. This was an effort lost. Do I think the Pacers are better than the nixt I do. I think it's a deeper team. I think they have more variance in which they could play. And New York is so isolation heavy. It's not just Jalen, but a lot of it is. Jalen Kat is more of an ISO big. You know, they throw it to Cat to the top of the key and if he can dribble by you, he will because he's a big that can move pretty well and can dribble it.
Speaker 2: Okay, and shoots it well from the outside.
Speaker 1: But even if it's og or Michel like, they get the ball and they just go one on one isolation and ultimately that to me has a natural ceiling. And also as far as the natural ceiling goes, this is something that we've seen for a number of years, like a good team will manifest itself with their best player being a small point guard. One example that comes to mind is the Chris Paul Clipper team, you know, lob City with Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan and ESPN playing a fricking siren every time Blake dunked it. But Chris Paul was their best player. CP three made them go and they were really good. They won a lot of regular season games, but they could never fully get past their Western Conference piers who had superior offensive ball in hand initiators that were just bigger players and better athletes. And the last team to win NBA Championships while their best player was a smallish ball in hand point guard was the Detroit Pistons of the late eighties with Isaiah Thomas. It has not happened since don't give me Steph Okay, Steph is a unicorn, all right, and Steph is not this smallish ball in hand offensive initiator. You know, Steph does not fit the bill, okay. And by the way, generationally special and unique. So when it comes to a team built for success, the Knicks I think may have hit a ceiling with this group in my opinion. Now, I don't know what you do, because when you look at their books, they're paying mkel og Kat and Jalen and Josh Okay. So those five players are under contract for a few years at big money. There's already rumors that the Phoenix Suns would like to make a run a cat because Kat played with book Devin Booker at Kentucky. So do the next look at a cat Durant swap and you go into next year with Mitchell Robinson as you're starting center, and you get rid of the Cat, and then you get rid of the cat experience all together. Like Kat to me is a little bit like Donovan in a lot of ways, but kind of in the vein of you have a natural expiration date and a natural ceiling if you're gonna play your basketball through him, and you're gonna play him big minutes.
Speaker 2: He is a sieve on defense.
Speaker 1: He doesn't move well, and Indiana did a really good job of confusing him.
Speaker 2: Sometimes it was dropped, sometimes.
Speaker 1: He would blitz, and then every game two or three just brain farts where he commits fowls and then he looks at the reft like what did I do? And then you see the replay and you're like, you literally grabbed the guy. It was so obvious that you committed the dumbest fowls and the Knicks needed more from him, you know. And it kind of sounds weird to criticize Kat after honestly a spring where he played better than I really ever thought he could in the playoffs, but game six, the problems with Kat as your starting center that plays thirty five to thirty eight minutes tonight were magnified in Game six, and Indiana deserves a lot of credit for the way they attacked him. They deserve a lot of credit for the way they attack Jalen. And this whole narrative like Jalen's not a good defensive player. It's not only that Jalen's not a great defensive player. It's that Rick Carlisle knows New York relies so much on Jalen offensively that if you make a work on defense, he won't have the same energy to close out offensively that he would otherwise. And when the game started and it was up and down, back and forth, back and forth, I was thinking the same thing, like, Okay, it's working now for the Knicks, but come fourth quarter, comes second half, they're going to be tired again. Indiana is going to be rested because Indiana is used to playing eleven players fifteen plus minute tonight, and this is not sustainable for a team like New York. It's not built to get up and down for forty forty eight minutes like Indiana is.
Speaker 2: And sure enough, second half starts and.
Speaker 1: You see the Knick's legs start to go and Indiana just runs them off the floor. And the lack of effort was pretty stunning. But I think a lot of it was fatigue. And New York's got decisions to make this offseason as the Indiana Pacers are marching on to the NBA Finals only the second finals appearance for the Pacers last one was twenty five years ago when they beat the Knicks in six and went to the finals and lost.
Speaker 2: So so there you go.
Speaker 1: Also, and we'll get to more of this coming up with a couple of guests.
Speaker 2: Smitty, He's gonna be live in studio.
Speaker 1: The Utah Jazz have hired Austin Ahe the son of team CEO and alternate governor Danny Age away from the Celtics, and now Austin is the team's president of basketball operations. When you read through some of the Ryan Smith statements in some of the comments, it sounds like Austin and Justin will report to Danny, not you know, Justin reports to Austin.
Speaker 2: Austin report.
Speaker 1: It sounds like Justin Zantik and Austin Ainge are kind of linear on their place in the ORG chart or whatever, and we'll report to Danny, who then of course reports to Ryan. So we'll get into this. Austin spent seventeen years with the Boston Self explained as college basketball Brigham Young college football.
Speaker 2: Right out of the gates, though with our buddy.
Speaker 1: Kyle Vonnagura, who covers college football sometimes a little soccer as well for ESPN.
Speaker 2: Kyle, Happy Monday. It's been a minute. How you been, Bud. I'm I'm good. I'm good.
Speaker 1: So some interesting offseason college football storylines. Let's start with the new CFP expansion proposal, the five plus eleven model, which of course has support in some areas and detractors and others. The Big twelve media or excuse me, the Big twelve kind of summer meetings were held this weekend in Orlando. Heard a lot from Brett Yormark. But what say you about what's on the table? Five plus eleven in sixteen? You think that's right? With the AQ bids four for the Big ten, four for the SEC, two for the a CC, two for the Big twelve. Do you do you like that model? Do you think that's where we're headed?
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think it's where it's headed. As far as I like it, I kind of felt like sixteen was the right number from the beginning. The buyers or it felt like the NCAAs takes small steps right, they're not willing to you know, you're willing to go from two to four from four, then you jump ay, I guess they did jump out the eight to twelve. But it's filled for me, like if you're gonna have if you're gonna have a real playoff, sixteen. It makes it nice and tidy. Right, There's the problem you have with twelve there, and there was a lot you know, there's problems with all these different formats. Was that you continue to devalue the bulls, right and so now, and that's always gonna be the case whenever you cut it off. But I think once you got to twelve, like when you get the thirteen through twenty five, those Bowl games, like we're essentially meaningless, right, and so you have the trickle down effect on how it impacted Bowls was problematic. So I thought you might as well just add more playoff games, make those other teams play meaningful games.
Speaker 7: At the end of the year.
Speaker 11: I mean, I really like the FCS model that's even bigger than that of these twenty four teams. Like for me, that you could do buys with early round byes and include more teams. It doesn't necessarily add too many games in total for the whole country, right, but you get to have meaningful games at the end of the season. So yeah, like sixteen, like I think it's there's more football, and I like having more football than matter, And I think it's the simplest way to look at it. That's why it's a good thing.
Speaker 1: As far as the multiple automatic qualified spots for the Big ten in the SEC essentially taking half the spots and then the Big twelve in the ACC getting two and then leaving one for the group of five and then you know the at large stuff. Do you think that's where we're going as well? Or do you think there's enough pushback from people that aren't in the big ten in the SEC to maybe just make get a straight sixteen sixteen team with eleven plus five.
Speaker 2: How do you think that plays out?
Speaker 11: I think it should be eleven plus five. It would be kind of a bully You feel like it would be bullying the other conferences if they added more automatic bids for the SEC and the Big ten, because like the thing is like they don't need the automatic bids. There's not going to be You can game it out however you want to do it. Like, it's just I don't see a scenario where that would even really come into play, right. Maybe you can get get creative with it, but yeah, like make it. Give it for me. The five is what makes sense one one for outside of the power conferences. Give the champions a bid, but at the same time. Also, you know, if you're a champion of one of those conferences, like you don't even need the automatic bid at this point, Like it mattered more at twelve. It certainly mattered at four where they valued conference championships to a degree, but at sixteen, like if you were in one of those leagues, like you're going to get in. So it's almost kind of a point. It's just to see how they'll use that to determine you know, seating or home util those sorts of things, is I think is where it gets more interesting. But as far as like getting in the field, like, I don't think that is ultimately going to make that much of a difference. However they decide the structure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with that, well said, So the sixteen team expanded model will come our way twenty twenty six. This year, we will have the twelve team format, but it will be straight seeding. I don't know why they didn't do this initially, Kyle. This seems to be one of those like very common sense type things that should have been done right away. But you know, we've already got your thoughts on the sixteen team thing. But that's in a year. So what do you think about the twelve team format moving just a straight seeding this fall.
Speaker 11: Yeah, so I I mean, I think, like you said, for me, it was like another obvious move. And as you know, I do like the bolt productions during the regular season, and this is something that I identified the first week. I did it the first week after games are played. Where the impact, Like I understand like the idea of it, Like they wanted to reward those like the Big twelve champion and the ACC champion, right, they wanted to give them a reward for winning their conferences. And like in theory, like I could understand the logic, but how it played out, Like it didn't play out that way because it effectively punishes the top seed, Like any playoff format should be designed to give an advantage to the number one seed. That's why you're valuing the regular season, right, Like, that's that's very basic with competitive sports, right. But by getting buys to you know, the you in the three and four spot for teams that weren't actually the third and fourth best teams, it created inequitable matchups in the second in the quarterfinal round, and it ended up punishing you know, Oregon, like Oregon ended up playing Ohio State, a team that would have been seated differently, so it really messed up with how it should have gone and punished the team at the top. So I think, yeah, this is a I wrote. I wrote this almost every week during the season, you know, kept hammering it at the point home because it was just it just it just never made sense when once you went and kind of saw how it was going to play out. So I'm unhappy that they were able to act quick and restore kind of restore order in that respect.
Speaker 2: Do you still think you know?
Speaker 1: Coach Witt was on a podcast a couple of weeks ago, and he continues to talk about the super league potential possibility that you and I have discussed for years now and college football writers have written about for years now, and I don't know, man, like it feels like this has become more fluid, in my opinion than actually something concrete that I believe is inevitable. At one point, I was convinced that we were high speed ahead to something that looks a lot like the NFL with two conferences whatever you call them, big ten sec grab you know, a number of schools that they want, and then suddenly that's AFC, NFC and we have like a miniature NFL model in college football. I don't know how convinced I am that we're headed there now, Kyle?
Speaker 2: What about you?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 11: I think I'm still like pretty confident eventually it we'll get there. I think for me, the question is is like how long is it going to take. It's not going to happen in five years. It might not happen in ten years, but you know, eventually, you know. Once and I think too, is like you have to kind of get people to cycle out right the current admitted like the leadership in place across the country, conferences and schools. You know, you can kind of get a sense of what they want right now, and that's going to hold court for for a while, right, but those people will only be in those jobs for for so long, and then eventually you'll have, you know, an SEC commissioner who doesn't care about Vanderbilt, or an Alabama athletic director or a president who pushes for hey, like why is Vanderbilt still in our like why are we still on equal plane fields with them?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 11: Why are why are we peers with them as opposed to creating a larger pie and less less people to pull from or less schools to pull from. So I think like eventually it still gets there, but it's just a matter of waiting to see how how long that will take. I mean, in hindsight, it's kind of remarkable that this didn't all happen faster, Like you've seen how it has all played out so quickly, Like there's just so much money at stake that eventually money will always drive this. You know, once these once the kids are employees, like that's going to change things. Like there's eligibility questions that are still kind of up in the air and kind of fluid. So there's so many things that are going to change. I think eventually there'll just be too much money for the schools at the top not to be attempted to take a bigger slice.
Speaker 1: So we've all been waiting for the House VNC DOUBA settlement, and you know, we continue to wait, and it's been kind of wild to watch what has unfolded surrounding this dynamic, with certain states passing laws kind of behind closed doors where it's like, yeah, our schools do not have to adhere to whatever that settlement says, and then the P four programs are all writing contracts to say, well, actually you do if you want to hang out with us. And so you have this interesting juxtaposition in dynamic where Tennessee, among others, have literally passed legislation saying that their member institutions are residing their state don't even have to do ad here to what House VNC DOUBA has to say about nil distributions and so much the NCUBA has already been told like you're not allowed to essentially put any sort of restriction you can enforce any of your rules like.
Speaker 2: It all continues to be very fluid.
Speaker 1: I think maybe I was a little bit hopeful in Pie in the Sky and maybe naive believing that the House VNC double A settlement would suddenly give us guardrails and guidelines we've been looking for.
Speaker 2: So how is this going.
Speaker 1: All play out and what you're understanding about where we're aut in the process of the House VNC double A.
Speaker 11: That's a great question. I wish I had a nice tidy answer for you, because it's I mean, it's just so messy, And I think what's difficult right as you have you know, fifty states or you know, not that not quite that many in the NC DOUBLEA that are are kind of in play here. But the point is you have all these state governments, you have local governments, you have private schools, you have public schools. There's so many different parties that are governed by different entities. To get them all on the same page, it's just so hard to do, and so ultimately it's still unclear who gets I don't say right. I mean, you've seen every lawsuit. It's anytime the NC double has been challenging law or the last you pick your time period, like they've lost right, whether it's eligibility, whether that's you know, name anything they've they've always sided with with with the players, and they're kind of chase to have to get more money and more uh you know, more distribution from from the n C double A. And so it's I just don't see how that's ever gonna like it's going to change while you're still dealing with student athletes. And I think like that's for me, like out in the out in the distance, like it just seems inevitable that eventually they become employees. And once you're employees and you're not students and you're not kind of governed by Title nine in the same way, then you can say, okay, like then salary caps become a little bit more real, right the n C, Like then you operate like a professional league and the government isn't going to be able to step in and and govern in the way it is, you know, effectively do or not now with that with the House settlements, So yeah, I don't have a great answer for you, but it could because there's just so many moving pieces that until you get until you knock one dominant dominant down, like, it's really hard to say what's gonna happen with the next one.
Speaker 1: You know, one of the walking lines you hear a lot, and I'm guilty of using it too is and sometimes maybe if you do what you and I do for a living, this is just like a smoke screen when really what you're saying is I don't understand any of this. So you land on, Well, Saturdays in the fall will always still feel like Saturday is in the fall. Well, it doesn't feel that way for Washington State anymore or Oregon State, and honestly, Kyle, Saturdays in the fall around here still feel a little bit different based off of the conference affiliation change where for years it was Oregon and sc and the PAC twelve West Coast brands and Washington and do respect to the Big twelve because it's at least a home for the University of Utah. The brands and teams that rolled through. Last year, it felt different, It just did. So my question is, well, Saturdays in the fall still always feel like Saturdays in the fall or is it just for a select you now?
Speaker 11: Yeah, I hope so, And that's probably the best I can do. I mean, I do think that there is a novelty about the conference realignment that was interesting this year. You have to see new schools and new teams and and that part had had some a lure. But I do think that all were off, you know, pretty quickly, at least for me. And eventually, when you're playing these games that you don't have strong regional or historic ties to, it won't it won't be as fun. I mean, you talk benefits because it's you know, in the same conference with by US. I think for a lot of people that like localized it in a way that was like, you know, you gain the rivalry back and it's like in a meaningful way. So there's there's there's given cake to some degree. But but but I do still feel like as long as they're playing these games on campus, as long as the you know, there's a those ties exist, like attending the game is still going to feel pretty similar. I mean, it's the uniforms that are going to be the same. Cheering for football at the end of the day, like at its core, like that's that experience. A lot would have to change for it to be, you know, so different that it wouldn't be worth like participating or paying attention to anymore. But the evolution is definitely going to keep happening. And in to a degree, right, it's that's been college football for a long time. But if you look over one hundred years, like there's been so many different iterations of what the sport has looked like that you know, even you know ten years ago, twenty years ago, you know, that looked very little like it did you know, thirty years before that. And so I in a way like changes is part of the sport, and I guess that's what it can continue.
Speaker 1: To expect one more thing in this space, And I apologize if you feel like you've gone on Bloomberg News on a Monday afternoon.
Speaker 2: But I do want to ask you about another storyline.
Speaker 1: Brett Yormark, among many things he's had to say over the past seventy two hours, is the Big twelve has elected to not accept private equity money for an ownership stake in the conference. And you know, about a year ago, I think it was Mark Lazry if I remember correctly, the owner of the Bucks, who in a public form said he planned on making an offer at Ohio State football to try to buy like forty nine percent of the Buckeyes. And they are rumors around here that some of the powerful folk that have deep pockets wanted to get involved in Utah BYU football and potentially have an ownership stake. And now the momentum is going the other direction. Folks are now saying no to private equity money. I am no finance major, but my gut tells me this must mean that conferences and programs have done their own valuations on what they can make and understand that they don't need that money.
Speaker 2: Now, if they needed the money, they would take it.
Speaker 1: But it must mean that they don't want to sell any ownership in either conferences or teams because of how dumb.
Speaker 2: The money continues to be with live TV rights.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's where my antenna goes when I keep hearing these stories that now go the other way. As far as people not accepting private equity money, what are your thoughts on that?
Speaker 11: So, I think it's like everything is a negotiation, right. I think what happened was the Big Twelve, you know, realized that they weren't going to get enough money that they were there was like the the idea the offer wasn't big enough. Right, if you had whatever the number is, say say like, we'll just throw at a number that makes no sense, but you would have to accept, right, if the number was fifty billion dollars, right, of course they would have accepted private acty money at that at that number. Right, But at a certain point, at a certain point, it's worth it and they you would have to say yes. But they just didn't get to that point. And so eventually could that change, Like, I think absolutely it could change. But right now they've made the determination that that that sort of investment isn't in their best interest. And you know, if and when that changes, like I think they'll be open to revisiting it. But for now, yeah, I mean, it hasn't It hasn't happened yet, but just the idea that so many people are looked into it, are considering it makes me think that eventually it'll probably happen. It just and it'll just be a question of what the circumstances looked like for that for that to be the case.
Speaker 2: Let's move over here.
Speaker 1: You know, Brian Santiago hired his BYU's athletic director, taking over for Tom Homo. So before I expand to the second part of the question, let me get your thoughts on that. And mostly I'm quite sure you don't know, Brian, but covering Tom Homo as BYU's athletic director, I think he did a remarkable job. Traversing through independence for a decade was a tough ask, but they were able to find a landing spot. Their basketball team is insanely good and their football team is coming off a really nice year in the Big Twelve. So Brian inheriting an athletic department in really good shape as a result of the work that Tom did. So your thoughts on Tom Homo as he goes to spend the rest of his days on a beach somewhere, probably yeah, No, I mean, as you know.
Speaker 11: I live here in the Bay Area. So my first kind of experience with Tom Holmo as he's the coach at Cal, he's the coach or assistant coach of the forty nine ers before it, So I was kind of like always generally aware of him in the space, and then you know, I had a chance to get to know him a little bit this past year with a few stories I was working on about BUYU. And like I think with those interactions like with with Tom that I had, I really enjoyed all of them. For me, he was really good to work with. He was he was candid, he was open, he was a good storyteller. And then you can't argue with with the results of where the program is right now. I mean, I mean you you, I mean you said it. Basketball football, both are in a really good spot position to be good for a long time.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 11: Getting into the Big twelve was a big win after the kind of the obviously of independence for for so long, and so he leaves BUYU in a spot where you know, for Brian you can hope to build off that. Obviously, the I think Buyu, you know, more than a lot of schools has really benefited from the ANL shift. They have a lot of people who are willing to help out with with those programs to help them stay competitive. And so yeah, I have only only nice things to say about Tom and kind of the way he handled himself in personal actions with me, and just kind of the big picture pomplishments that he had in his time done in provo.
Speaker 1: I think the Santiago News became official on May nineteenth, and then on May twenty first, the Salt Lake Tribune reports that Jake Rerhetz Laugh is being sued by a woman here in Salt Lake. It is a civil lawsuit and we've talked about it on the show.
Speaker 2: These are not criminal charges.
Speaker 1: So the Tribune reports on it, and then you wrote on it for ESPN.
Speaker 2: You were actually able to uncover some new details.
Speaker 1: I don't know that I have a question, and I don't want to make this a football story because it isn't. He is the starting quarterback for BYU and coming off a really good year. But I wonder throughout the process that you went through to kind of have the discovery for what you wrote on the dot com for ESPN, what you would like to share about this story and if you have any insight on what the next steps are.
Speaker 11: Yeah, these are always tough to report. And you get into this industry hoping to write about sports and you end up reading a civil case about a really gruesome allegation of rape. Right, I've read a lot of these sorts of civil filings over the years, and this is this is one of the worst ones that I've read, just in how graphic it was. That's all part of the public domain at this point. You know, you don't know if these are Again, I can't stress the stuff. It is an allegation, but when I read it, you know, if if the allegation is true, it's it's it's it's as serious a case of of rape and sexual assault that I've that I've read covering sports. So you know, beyond that, you know, it's it's It's tough to say much other than kind of like the news. Right, he's he was never arrested. The pro Goo Police Department, uh did deny the women's the women's claim that that she was told that sexual assault victims never seek justice. They had a pretty lengthy statement about that. They'll, you know, they'll there'll be some time before Retslaus lawyer will reply to the lawsuit. It sounds that we are pretty adamant in their comments that it didn't happen, and so they'll reply. We'll see what they're kind of rebuttal is I'm sure they'll try to get the keys dismissed. But other than that, there's not a lot to say it's especially without a police report that documents anything from the time that it allegedly took place.
Speaker 1: All Right, Kyle, before I say, you loose, and I always kind of chuckle when I do this to you, because it's early June and we have no idea what these teams are going to look.
Speaker 2: Like come fall.
Speaker 1: But I will ask you about the University of Utah because we're a mile away from Risco Stadium and we're the home of the youth. So Vegas has set the over under at seven point five. That's mid table for Big twelve. I think most of the preseason prediction stuff I've seen has Utah anywhere between like four and seven. So I think it's probably better for them not to have these lofty expectations like they did a year ago. And of course the health stuff with Cam Rising and all the stuff that went down has been something we've covered at nauseum. So it's a new quarterback, it's a new offensive coordinator. PFF has them ranked as the number two offensive line of the country behind Bama. So they're going to be stacked where they need to be in the trenches like they always are. So I won't ask you about specifics because I'm quite sure you're not grinding on Utah's too deep in June, but just you your thoughts on what a potential bounce back season could look like for the U two year two in the Big twelve.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's it's I certainly expect going to be much much better than a year ago. It's hard to you know, two and seven, it's hard to be worse, as they say, right, I think like the schedule is, you know, it's manageable. I think non conference UCLA, Cal Poly, Wyoly, those are all winnable games. So you expect to be three to zero headed in the conference. And then if you go then if you go four and five, even the conference, that puts it at seven wins, which would be a two win improvement. And you know, like you said, it's just have to break it down right now and field any sort of level of confidence. But I think having you know, dam Pier come along, you come over with with Jack. You know, he knows the offense, he knows the system. That's a model that's worked at a number of places over the years, moving a quarterback with the coach as opposed to just kind of grabbing someone or even just matriculating someone on the roster. So I think there's like a reason to be optimistic that they can be successful. It's going to be a different look. You know, Dampier ran a lot more than Utah has expected its quarterbacks to do in recent years, and so I think there will be a lot more of you know, that quarterback run game will give them a new look, new fresh look that they probably needed after things got stale. So yeah, I think Utah will be better in terms of how much better, you know. Let's wait and see.
Speaker 1: You allow, my friend, Well, I appreciate your time today. Hope all is well with you, have a great week, and we'll chat too. And thanks Kyle, all right. Thanks Bona gir covers college football and a little soccer from time to time for our friends at ESPN. I'm noticing that he never tweets anymore. But his work is up on his Twitter page at Bonagra ESPN is where you find him.
Speaker 2: So appreciate Kyle's temp.
Speaker 1: The time brought to you today by our friends at IFA Country Stores.
Speaker 2: When the seasons change, I don't know if you've noticed. That's right now.
Speaker 1: If you're like any good coach, you'll put together your game plan for a healthy, green lawn and you'll turn the experts at IFA. Check out their four plus lawn care program everything you need to make your yard of hit. It's the ultimate lawn owner power move at IFA. At IFA dot co op. Well, we were hoping on a Monday edition of the program to be previewing a game seven tonight between the Knicks and the Pacers at Madison Square Garden at Midtown, Manhattan. But that MSG is dark tonight unless they have a concert or whatever is going on. There's no basketball. NBA Finals begin on Thursday. Let's do some NBA with our next guest on a Monday. Tom haverstro Buddy, how are you.
Speaker 2: I'm good. I'm good.
Speaker 1: So let's let's be let's be reductive right off the start. Why are we not previewing eight game seven tonight between the Knicks and the Pacers.
Speaker 12: Well, the defense of the Knicks just couldn't keep up with the Pacers. Carl Anthony Howe and Mitchell Robinson as your rim protectors, it didn't bode well for the Knicks. They've got Jalen Brunson and Karl Anthony Towns, who are two one way superstars. They are superstar offensive players, but defensively Josh hart og Annobie mckel bridges and Mitchell Robinson to a lesser degree, he was coming off the bench for most of the season. Those three wing guys were supposed to be more than enough defensively to cover up and hide Jalen Brunton and Karl Anthony Towns.
Speaker 7: But you can't.
Speaker 12: Excuse Karl Anthony Towns having one block in that entire conference finals.
Speaker 7: It just can't happen.
Speaker 12: And it's the first time that we've seen a player that size in the conference finals, play that many minutes and have that few number of blocks. It's just very difficult to win when your best center is is not a rim protector and a good defender. Now Nikolie Jokic gets away with that. He's not as soft as Karl Anthony Towns is as a rim protector. The defense for the Knicks was really their undoing is that they just were not able to get enough scoring in order to compensate for that end of the floor. And the Pacers they move the ball, they'd exploit matchups. Pascal Siakam Tyree's Halliburn were excellent at creating mismatches and taking advantage of the knicks slow defense. You know, like Karl Anthony Towns. How many times was he jogging back on defense or complaining about a foul call on his back and the Pacers just ran him out of the gym and ultimately oj Ananobi Josh Hart mckel bridges had two hit shots had to be not just d but also the three, and they couldn't do it. So the Indiana Pacers move on after being the This is the crazy sat Indiana Pacers. Before this season, sportsbooks had projected that the New Orleans Pelicans would ever better shot at making the NBA Finals than the Indiana Pacers. So that is how much of an underdog this Pacers team. Even though they went to the Eastern Conference Finals, they were just I think it was plus twenty five hundred to win the East and make it to the NBA Finals, and when you compare their title ods, they had the same or worse title odds than the New Orleans Pelicans. So this really is one of the most unlikely NBA Finals matchups, and that's mostly coming from that East side with the Indiana Pacers.
Speaker 1: Your point about the next defense is spot on. And that's that's the thing that I've been talking about on the show because the two games where they guarded, they won, but they only guarded for two games, Tom. And you know, I said on Friday before we signed off, prior to that game six on Saturday, like, I know that the Pacers were getting, you know, a lot, a lot of credit, a lot of love for their shot making. The game one comeback where Nie Smith went crazy. You go back and watch the final few minutes. The Nie Smith shots were practice shots. He was stepping into mostly wide open threes. Given credit for turning into Ray Allen Circing nineteen ninety eight or whatever. But I don't fully understand how a team who's head coach is all defense was such a sieve on that side of the floor more often than not. And I do think it comes down to cat. I do think you have a cat problem.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 1: I also will say the Cat was better in this playoff run than I've ever seen him play in playoff basketball. I don't want to make this like I'm only crushing Cat, but you look at their books, Tom, They've got their five mini guys signed for a while.
Speaker 2: But I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think you do need to figure something out with Karl Anthony Towns because he just does not play defense and commits some of the dumbest fouls that I've ever seen watching NBA basketball.
Speaker 2: So if you're Leon.
Speaker 1: Rose and you look at a season that I think a little bit is twenty dollars in the back pocket of jeans that you pull out of the dryer because you did get to the Eastern Conference Finals. You did block Boston from winning a championship. But I don't know that this group has more in them than what we saw. I don't know that this is an NBA finals group. I don't know that I would pick him to make it back to the Eastern Conference Finals next year.
Speaker 2: What does the offseason look like in New York time.
Speaker 12: Well, the tough thing here is a couple of things. One, they put in five first round picks and cleaned out their cover to first round picks tradable first round picks to get mckel bridges, and he just wasn't good enough to justify that price tech.
Speaker 7: He just wasn't.
Speaker 12: He was softer defensively, not as physical as you would want someone point of attack defender. He's a guy who loved the mid range and hit a bunch of mid range shots, but became kind of Ben Simmons esque yips. He and Josh Hart just did not want to take a layup, and for that you gave up five first round picks. And the only tradable first round pick that you have is Washington's top eight protected pick next year, and that's almost certainly not going to convey. And then it becomes two second round picks. So really the Nicks don't have any tradable first round picks. They have a couple swaps that they can do. But when let's say you're offering the Milwaukee Bucks Karl Anthony Towns and two pickswaps, well, when you're acquiring Giannis Atatakumpo, how valuable is a pick swap if you're offering it to you know, Milwaukee as a as a.
Speaker 7: Carrots in that trade.
Speaker 12: Milwaukee looks at that and says, I really how much? What are the odds that we're going to say, Yeah, the Knicks with Jalen Brunson, Michel Bridges, ogn andob and And and Jannis ended Akompo are going to have a worse team than the Milwaukee Bucks with Karl Anthony town So it's like you look at potential blockbuster trade, you put it on the on the table for Jannisana d Kompo. I Jianis even wants out of Milwaukee. Leon Rose has to a convince Janni Sanda da Koumpo that the New York Knicks are the team for him. He's not a CIA client. And we've talked about this before, is that the New York Knicks have aligned themselves with Leon Rose's former agency CIA. He used to run the basketball side of CIA, and his rolodex is super deep in terms of the clients that he had in the NBA, including Lebron James and Dwayne Wade. You go on down the list, he had an incredible stable of NBA players on his list. Karl Anthony Towns might have been the most lucrative. One of all is that when you look at the contract that he signed, Leon Rose was the big biggest benefactor there, and it was his largest client when he was on the agency side.
Speaker 7: But Jannis is.
Speaker 12: At Octagon and so the CIA link that he has with Jalen Brunson, his son, Leon Rose's son is Jalen Brunson's agent at CIA, Sam Rose. If you look at og Ananobi CIA, if you look at Josh Hart CIA, Karl Anthony Towns CIA, the New York Knicks have allocated one hundred and thirty million dollars of their payroll this year to CIA clients. That's the largest sum in the NBA for any team an agency. So it's very closely aligned. The bonds between CIA and the Knicks are very strong, right, So you got to convince Jannis a we are the team for you. If you want out of Milwaukee, we are the team for you. But that's not the hard part. I wrote for Yahoo Sports yesterday in a column The hard part for Leon Roose are you really going to portray Karl Anthony Towns like that? He was Karl Anthony Towns' agent.
Speaker 7: Before he was picked number one.
Speaker 12: Oh for all, he was close with Karl Anthony Towns and war Why West when Karl anton Town's decided to go play for the national team, the Dominican national team. The coach was John Calipari, who then coached him at Kentucky. Like they're they're very close and they go way back, right, So, now that you're on the Knicks, is Leon Rose going to be able to look at Karl Anthony Towns and say, we're going to trade you to Milwaukee for Yiannis. That's going to be a tough proposition. Even if Joannice is like, I want to go to the Knicks, leon Rose has to just like say, all right, this is a tough decision for me, but I am going to send you to Milwaukee.
Speaker 7: That's gonna be tough.
Speaker 12: The other thing is like KD. What happens with KD? You know his rich Climban, his agent is the New York guy, and KD if everyone expects him to be on the market this summer, whether it's Minnesota or somewhere else, Houston, Miami, New York, New York again, Karl Anthony Towns would have to go. As as that trade money wise, you have to bring in a three team deal and that might be a possibility. And the way that you might you might argue if you're the Knicks, all right, we get KD and we get off of Karl Anthony Towns's long term money. We're going to able to get a better center to go next to KD, who probably can't guard four as consistently.
Speaker 7: At this age.
Speaker 12: But you get up the long term money because right now he's going to be an expiring deal next year. If Leon Rose looks for this and says, all right, maybe I don't trade you to Milwaukee, but you get to reunite with Devin Booker and Phoenix, he gets to take care of his client. There there's other options for the Knicks.
Speaker 7: They run it back.
Speaker 12: Maybe they move mckel bridges to Dallas or somewhere else where. They can move mckel and try to get maybe Daniel Gafford and Caleb Martin from Dallas and Dallas upgrades on the point of attack defense next to Anthony Davis.
Speaker 7: And we know so.
Speaker 12: Nico Harrison, we know he wants defense wins championships, and right now their point of attack defense is like Klay Thompson and Cooper Flack. I don't think that that's going to work out for them this year if they want to win. And so maybe you propose that trade. But even then it's very likely Spence that the Knicks just decide to run this back.
Speaker 7: I think Knicks fans would love to have Giannis.
Speaker 12: I think they would love to have KD. But it requires a CIA team to trade away their top CAA guy in Karl Anthony Towns. And that's it matters more than people realize, is these relationships over time. And Leon Rose has always been a very loyal guy. Jalen Brunson's father, Rick Brunson, was his first client, NBA client, and now he's the coach for Tom Thibodeaux, another CIA client, So this and of course gets his son to be the star in New York. These bonds are very strong, and if they are going to upgrade next season, it's gonna mean that the CAA link is going to be tested. And with Karl Anthony Towns, the CIA client, Josh hart ogn Andobi and Jalen Brunts and all CA guys, I mean, are they going to be willing to move one of those guys to upgrade the roster or are they just gonna say, look, we're gonna run it back next year and we're going to improve. Everyone's got to improve in different ways. And that's what the Knicks are looking at, is I mean, is Karl.
Speaker 7: Anthony Town's the guy?
Speaker 12: Or do you move him to try to get a superstar in kd And and Giannis? So that's really what's on the table for them, is I mean, we don't know that Giannis is going to be a trade target this summer, but I can tell you every team does these contingencies after this season. Is if we're going to upgrade this roster, how do we do it? And I wonder how willing they are in moving Karl Anthony Towns considered. I mean, he wore that jersey with so much pride and playing through that visibly playing through that that knee injury. But is the ceiling maybe Eastern Conference semifinals and finals. If you have Karl Anthony Towns as you're starting four and maybe you're starting five, that's I mean.
Speaker 7: That's good. That's better than the Knicks have had in.
Speaker 12: The last couple of decades. But is it enough to win a championship?
Speaker 2: And I say no, Do we talk enough about how elite Rick Carlisle is.
Speaker 1: I mean I was going over some of the stuff this morning, and look, I'm a big Tom Thibodeau guy, and Tom was an assistant for Jeff and so was able to get to know him. And to your point about where the Knicks find themselves now, it's so much better than anywhere they've been for decades that if you run it back and Tom's the guy, then I think most Nick fans would say, Okay, like sign me up. It's at least nice to have a team that's relevant as opposed to what it's been for a while. But I think I think Rick took him, took him to the cleaners. I thought this was a series where Tom was out coached. I thought some of the challenges didn't look great early on. I don't know what sort of adjustments you make when it comes to Indiana's ability to up and down. But I'm just imagining Tom watching tape of Game six and seeing four runouts off of makes for dunks and layups, and he's going, what, like, what are we doing?
Speaker 2: So you know, Rick.
Speaker 1: Gets his championship with a twenty eleven Dallas Mavericks team that was interesting with Dirk being peaked Dirk. That was Jason Terry sixth Man of the Year Award, That was Tyson Chandler Defensive Player of the Year. But they won a couple of series where they were underdogs and they beat the Heat in the finals. And now he has this group that nobody thought was gonna be relevant outside of maybe winning a series, and they're in the NBA Finals. I mean, I don't know, man, I feel like the maybe the public conversation surrounding Rick Carlisle needs to start sounding maybe a little bit different.
Speaker 2: Give me your thoughts.
Speaker 12: Well, the best ones always adapt. And it reminds me of Greg Popovich and how he regarded the three point line, or regarded zone defense, or regarded different styles of play. And Rick Carlisle that twenty eleven team. I covered that NBA Finals in Miami, and it was amazing to watch this veteran team rally together. Sean Marion, derk Noviski, Jason Kidd, Corn Butler, Like this is a very old team. This team, the Indiana Pacers, couldn't.
Speaker 7: Be more different.
Speaker 12: They're They're led by Tyrese Haliburton, only a few years into the NBA, and the average age on this team is barely twenty six years old. Or that that Dallas team in twenty eleven was a bunch of dudes whore at the end of their careers.
Speaker 7: And so the ability to.
Speaker 12: Adapt in the NBA as a coach is something that I think is in direct contrast to Tom Thibodeaux this series, where you know, you look at Tibbs and TIB's TIBs for better force. But he played that five man lineup all season long about forty minutes a game, basically the Brunson Michel Hart and Nobi and Karl Anthony Town started them and played them into the ground and they never got to a good defense. They never did and then in Game three he had to switch up and put Mitchell Robinson into the starting lineup. And I gotta give it to tips like he did expand the rotation and he did make that lineup change, but it did feel like a little bit too late, a little not enough. When you talk about how stubborn Tom Thibodeau is, or I guess just hard headed when it comes to who his guys are and what his beliefs are, it seemed like Brick Carlo in the opposite direction.
Speaker 8: All year.
Speaker 12: It was like, we're gonna win by playing up tempo and running teams out of the gym with a deep roster, and we are going to no matter what, stay tued or our playing style and not rely on two guys to win us games. We're going to rely on Nie Smith is gonna win us games. Nemhar You saw him in game six, how well he played in Game six, and how well he played in previous series.
Speaker 7: This is a team that really just.
Speaker 12: Believed Rick Carlyle believed in these role players to play like stars when they needed to. And unfortunately, on the Nick's side, the role players just fell apart. I mean, Deuce McBride, the og McHale, Josh Hart, they did not step up, whereas the Indiana Pacers and the belief that Rick Carlo imbued in these guys. It really did seem like two very different coaches on different ends of the ends of the spectrum. And you know, fourteen years ago when the Dallas Mavericks are winning the championship, and I told you that in twenty twenty five, the Indiana Pacers are going to win the East. I can't imagine you're gonna say Rick Carlisle is gonna be the architect of one of the best offenses in the NBA with a team that just runs teams out of the gym like seven seconds or less. But that's what Rick Carlisle did, and I really appreciate how he's been able to adapt as a coach.
Speaker 1: Indiana's consolation prize for making the NBA Finals is a matchup with a team right now, Tom that just feels like they've found a little something, well, not just found something.
Speaker 2: They've been historic all year.
Speaker 1: But I was resident, or I should say hesitant and reticent as I combine those two words in one question to just anoint them because I'd never seen them make a long playoff run, and then jokes on me because they're just they're everything you want and they've been able to stay healthy, which this time of year is a massive thing. So what sort of chance do you give Indiana to make the NBA Finals?
Speaker 2: Interesting? With Shay the MVP.
Speaker 1: On one side, I am blown away with how many players Mark Dagnold has at his disposal. I heard somebody use the term he's like a starting pitcher with six different pitches. I mean, he can he can bring whatever the night needs. He can say, how do you want to play? Okay, that's fine, we'll beat you playing that way too. So can Indiana make this interesting or does it feel like it's pretty overwhelming in Oklahoma City's favor.
Speaker 12: Barring injury, they have a slim to none chance of making.
Speaker 7: This a series.
Speaker 12: Okay, See, it's.
Speaker 7: Just that good.
Speaker 12: When you look at the regular season point differential between these two teams, it's one of the largest we've ever seen, if not the largest in NBA history. And in terms of finals matchups, like the Thunder had one of the biggest point differentials. Meeting they outscored the opponent by over twelve points a game in every game this season, on average, about twelve points a game. The Pacers were good this regular season, winning fifty games. But when you look at what the Pacers like to do, the Thunder are well epped, well equipped to match that. You know, the Thunder do not turn over the ball. And the Indiana Pacers are a team that really likes to run out, like he said, get out and transition and take advantage of a team that can be careless with the ball. And the Thunder just do not turn over the ball. And they're well coached. And I just think that this is a team, the Thunder with all their weapons and how much rest they've gotten coming into this series, how healthy they are coming into this series, how confident they are coming into this series. They just dismantled the Minnesota Timberwolves that were a top three defense in the NBA this season. I just think that the Indiana Pacers are a really good story, a really good team. But the Thunder, and I've been hammering this and beating this drum all season long. This Thunder team is all time good, like all time.
Speaker 7: Good, like one of the ten best teams.
Speaker 12: We've ever seen put together. And of course that final chapter of winning the NBA Finals will seal that. But everything I've seen from this season has told me that this is one of the best teams we've ever seen. I mean, they've already won eighty games this year and there's only three other teams and it be a history who have won more in a at this point, and it's like peak Jordan and peak Warriors. So this team is so good. I'm going with okac in five. But honestly, my brain is telling me heat and four. I mean, uh, okay see in four. Yeah, Like my brain is telling me okay, see in four, but like my heart is saying, okay, see in five. But I really do believe that this could end up in a sweep. I just if I'm name eight to paper, I'm probably gonna go okay, see in five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm with you, man, all right before I set you loose. Kind of a surprising piece of news. I mean, I hadn't caught wind of any rumors in this direction. But Utah Jazz have fired Austin Age as their president of basketball ops. Uh so, of course, and we're gonna hear Austin speak here coming up in a bid. According to the statements that were made by Ryan Smith, Danny no statements.
Speaker 2: He stayed completely out of it.
Speaker 1: Sounds like this is going to be a scenario where Xanik is still the GM and he works with Austin on a day to day basis, and both those two report to Danny, and then of course Danny reports to Ryan as the owner. So what we have here is a team that's locked up their head coach through twenty thirty one potentially, and now has a front office that they've locked up for the foreseeable future as well, without a lot of results so far. And yes, they're three years into a rebuild. We'll see what the coming years bring. But what are your thoughts on the direction of the club out here, bringing in Austin ae as the president and kind of having their front office and their coaching staff locked in for a while.
Speaker 12: Well, this is NBA front offices and power structures across the league. If people want to say nepotism, then I would say this is very common in the league. The Lacubs and Kirk Lacub in the front office, the owner's son in the front office.
Speaker 10: There.
Speaker 12: You look at the Colangelo's and Phoenix and in Toronto you look at you look at the Airsons in Miami, similar story.
Speaker 7: You look at across the league.
Speaker 12: You're gonna have this this And I'm not saying that Danny Age is the owner, but I think people are crying foul at the idea that the CEO, Danny Ainge would hire his son to run basketball ops.
Speaker 7: And I'm just like, I mean, this has been.
Speaker 12: The NBA for a very long time. Is We've seen this kind of relationship, and it's just another one of these father son combos in ownership and in front office. Austin comes very highly regarded in the Boston front office of course from Danny Ainge, of course, but I would also say that I think it's important to have a younger GM or someone who has a lot more ties to like the grassroots level NBA when the league is getting younger, and in order to draft these guys you don't have as much tape because and all the transfer portals. You need someone who has their boots on the ground and have a lot of intel, and that typically comes from a profile of like Austin Ange, who's younger and has a lot more relationships on the younger side than maybe Danny Ainge did. And you see this in the NBA. A lot is in the Charlotte Hornets organization with Michael Jordan, Mitch Cupcheck with the GM for Michael Jordan, Like Mitch Cupcheck isn't going to every gym and going to all of the European and going to every AAU tournament because look, the guy is the guy had a.
Speaker 7: Great run with the Lakers.
Speaker 12: But you need someone younger to burn that midnight oil in ways that Austin Ange will be doing that for the Utah Jazz. So it's a People might say that this is kind of a corrupt thing to do because the CEO just hired his son to run basketball ops but Danny Ainge has earned that right. And I would also say that this is nothing new in the NBA and that you see these types of things all across the league and that is a story as old as time in the NBA.
Speaker 2: Well, Tom appreciate the time.
Speaker 1: Was hoping to talk Game seven at MSG tonight, but hopefully the NBA Finals carry some intrigue. Where can everybody go get that great work of yours?
Speaker 7: Yeah, Yahoo Sports.
Speaker 12: You can check out that column about the three trades that I wrote wrote out about the New York Knicks where they go from here. And also you can check out Basketball Illuminati, the NBA podcast that we do account the things with the me and Al Hassen and of course Top Chef. You're a big fan of that show. I get my Pack Your Knives podcast as well as my newsletter Tom to find. Are lots of places, but it's always great to spend time with you.
Speaker 1: Spence the Great Tom Abers Jrow. Monday afternoon, we'll catch a quick break. We're gonna bringing Richard Smith live in studio Austin h currently is speaking to the media.
Speaker 2: We'll bring you some sound in about an hour from now.
Speaker 1: But Tommy stops by today, courtesy of our friends in Advanced Window Products. Was your house too hot over the weekends, Well, if it was, there's a good chance you might need new windows. And if you don't replace your windows, you're gonna have to jack up the ac and it will cost you a lot of money and be very uncomfortable. The nice thing about Advanced Window Products run of course by our guy ned Orchard, the mayor of Sac Lake City, and Jake Weber's business partner. They're great dudes, and they come from great families. This is a family owned business. They will take care of you, and they're offering a deal as summer approaches where you get twenty five hundred dollars off when you buy ten windows or more. That's right, twenty five hundred dollars off when you buy ten windows or more. So if you've been waiting to get it done right now is a great time.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: If you are considering maybe waiting until the fall when it's school season, maybe you're gonna sell your home. Well, if you call today, you're gonna lock in that savings regardless of when they come to you.
Speaker 2: So give them a call.
Speaker 1: Lock in the savings of twenty five hundred dollars off when you buy ten windows or more at eight one eight five zero ninety one hundred. That's eight one eight five zero ninety one hundred eight. All right, Austin Ainge is addressing the media as we speak. Border is going to grab that sound and we will bring it to you coming up.
Speaker 2: In about an hour from right now.
Speaker 1: Richard Smith is live in studio for an entire hour on this beautiful Monday afternoon.
Speaker 2: Smitty, Happy Monday, sir, How are.
Speaker 10: You Ben's We're doing great? How are you doing?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 2: Good? Great to see Scottie Schaffron A little heater, isn't he?
Speaker 10: How about that another man? He was?
Speaker 13: He just he is so laser focus man here a robot, yeah, you know, and and the very little emotion. Everything's just calm, you know, whether he it's one bad shot around or whatever it is, but he just kind of he just kind of dials it in and just keeps going.
Speaker 10: He's, you know, he is, He's that guy at the moment. He is.
Speaker 2: He is impressive to watch.
Speaker 1: But the big news of the day today, Smitty the Jazz have announced they've hired Austin h. Danny's son uh and Danny's the CEO an alternate governor of the Jazz now and Austin was with the Boston Celtics for seventeen years when Danny was there. He hired Austin to run the league team. I've known Austin for years. I've known Danny my entire life. They're good people, you know they are, And a higher like this will always be met with a tremendous amount of skepticism. Porter, real quick, why don't you remind Smitty what the official stances of the drive on nepotism. Can't can't deal with them, can't win with them. No, we are strictly anti nepotism on this program. Okay, I just want the community to know, like where we stand, right so you know the deal like but but you know, we just had Tom Aberstrow on the reality of the situation is, whether it's pro sports or real estate or whatever, most people find jobs based off relationships. This, of course, is a direct line between Danny and Austin. Ryan with a statement today saying he didn't even tell Danny that he was hiring Austin, which you know, come on, right, but what are your thoughts on the decision of the Jazz to bring in Austin Age And what do you know about Austin Age.
Speaker 13: Well, I've known Austin for a long time and know him, you know, and not know him personally, But watch them when you're down to BYU. Most people people don't don't, don't realize it unless you're a real hardcore BYU fan. He played four years at b YA and uh and and his senior senior year he led the Mountain West Conference in three point shooting, shot over fifty percent from the floor from three, was one of the top three point shooters in the country in college basketball his senior year. Didn't get drafted. I don't think he was a pro player. He could have played overseas, you know, but I think he wanted to get into what his dad was doing on the basketball side, and he ended up going down, actually went down for a year to work at Southern Utah as an assistant to Roger Reid when Roger was down at Southern Utah for that little brief period and then and then from there, Danny hired him to come back and work with him in Boston, and he got assigned to be the head coach of the main Red clause, which is the G League team or at that time the developmental team for the Celtics. For two years he did that and then he moved into a personnel job scouting and working in the front office with Danny and then progressed up the ladder. And Austin Ange is a hard worker. He's a good guy. He's very diligent about his job. He works hard. I think if you talk to him about it, I would think one of the things he might say is that, you know, being the son of Danny Ainge, and especially in Boston where Danny had a prominent role in the eighties as a player, and then obviously he was running the front office at that time, if you get hired, you know, by your dad, to do something like that, you know you got pressure on you to not only deliver in the job, but a lot of times you have to go above and beyond because everybody's looking to see what your faults are and what your shortcomings are. Well said, because everybody wants to get on your case, right because of how they perceive you got the job. Well, you know, Austin worked, you know, is very diligent. I would see him a lot on the road at college games. I would see him a lot overseas scouting over the years. And you know, I think this is a great hire for the Jazz. I know they didn't have a person in that position. That's just a position they created. I assume for Austin to get him into the fold with the Jazz, and he'll do I would assume. Don't know it is direct responsibilities are or if they've talked about that at all, but my guess is that they hired him to be one of the main guys on the personnel side and running the scouting department and doing all the stuff that that analyzes, evaluates and procures players, whether it's the draft, free agency, trade situations. And then Justin zanik As still as the GM will be a tend to be as he has been, more on the side of the business side, if you will, working with agent, working with the day to day grind in the office with employees and and uh and the team in terms of the coaching, coaching staff and all those kinds of things.
Speaker 10: And uh So.
Speaker 13: I think it's I think it's great for the Jazz to get someone like like Austin, a younger guy who's had a lot of experience and uh, and knows what it takes to win and it's been around a winning environment and uh. You know, I'm excited for him because I know he's a he's a great uh, a great person. You know, I don't know him real well, but I know him well enough to to to you know, comment that he's Uh. I think it's a great get for the for the Jazz at this point in time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Between my freshman and sophomore year in college at the U, I did a customer relations internship at Madison Square Garden, which entailed answering phone calls from angry New Yorkers that were mad about the Elton John concert because they couldn't get a hot talk. It was interesting work, and during that time I became friendly with a guy named Dave Snowden. Ironically enough is his name. He found the wheelchair Nicks. He's in a wheelchair himself, and he was like the one person in that building that was nice to me. I think everybody else was like afraid to talk to me or whatever, because you know, your dad is your dad. And I went to dinner with Dave one I'm like, dude, I don't understand why no one in the building like wants to.
Speaker 2: It feels like everybody ignores me.
Speaker 1: And he said a line to me that I've never forgotten, he said, Spence, I was nineteen years old the.
Speaker 2: Time he said, you need to learn this lesson.
Speaker 1: Now, nobody cheers for the son of a famous father, right, and so this will be met inevitably with the nepotism this And okay, as he really qualified that. But what you're outlining, committe, it sounds like you believe regardless of what his last name is, he has put in.
Speaker 2: The groundwork for this opportunity.
Speaker 10: Well, he's been.
Speaker 13: He's worked in basketball ever since he got out of BYU. He's been doing it in the NBA for seventeen years. He started with a brand new develop Mental League team UH in Maine, so they had to build that from the ground up. He was the head coach. He learned coaching philosophy and approached for two years doing that as a twenty five twenty six year old I think he was at that time, and then moved down to Boston to work with his dad more directly in personnel and scouting and has been doing that ever since. And hey, Danny Ainge left the Celtics four years ago or five years ago, whatever it was, he retired, you know, and Austin has been there since then, working with Brad Stevens. And and they promoted him, I think a few years ago to be an assistant GM along with Frank Zannin Frank Frank Sannon, I forget yeah, Mike zann I'm sorry, Mike's Aaron and and uh those guys.
Speaker 10: You know, they could have.
Speaker 13: Gotten rid of Austin Ange if they didn't like him or he wasn't doing the job or whatever in Boston once his dad went away.
Speaker 10: But Austin's Austin's a hard worker. He's a good guy.
Speaker 13: He'll he'll, you know, take some lumps on the the nepotism thing whatever, which I which to me is just lazy. I mean, you know, Ryan Smith isn't going to hire somebody that he isn't thinking can help them.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 13: I do think maybe they have to consider changing the name from the Utah Jazz to the BYU Jazz, you know, because that's you know, they're top loaded with BYU guys now and the ownership and in the front office.
Speaker 10: You know. But but Austin's a good guy and.
Speaker 13: He's a hard worker, he knows what he's doing, and it'll be interesting to see how that how the group works in terms of how they realign stuff internally going forward.
Speaker 1: So, and let's be clear, I know you're not behind closed doors over there anymore. But when you read the release in some of Ryan's comments, and we'll hear from Austin coming up in about forty five minutes, it sounds like Xanak is your GM, Austin is your president of basketball ops. They're gonna kind of work in lockstep together, and those two report to Danny as the CEO, and Danny then reports to Ryan, who's the owner. Sounds like that's the dynamic. Any thoughts on how like, if you're justin Xanak today, sure you're happy you're still the GM, but any thoughts on how this dynamic could play out? And there will be disagreements because there always are, and one voice has to make final decisions.
Speaker 2: That's kind of how it goes. Yeah, No, I don't know.
Speaker 13: I would assume that that you know, they were on board. I mean, Austin, you know, will come in and they'll all work together, you know.
Speaker 10: I don't know how they work over there, now not.
Speaker 13: Being in the room so to speak, but but it seems like they're very a collaborative group that everybody has, you know, a say in the room, and you know you have to listen also to your personnel people. You know, Bart Taylor is over there, has been there since it came with Dennis Lindsay from San Antonio, and it's still there as as the vice president of player Personnel and heads up all the scouting stuff. And you've got Sean James, and you've got Stephen Schwartz over there, who's the who's the the cap guy and in charge of all that stuff. And and you've got Marquise Newman who heads up to the Salt Lake City Stars and also does a lot of personnel scouting, and Brian Powger and Lane Odom all those guys who are on the front lines of doing the scouting. And then the overseas, they've got a group headed up by Rigas Dartleus and and Vierian Bosniak over there and in Europe and and Alex mcdude in Paris, and then so they've got a big group that it all works together on the personnel stuff. And I would think Austin would be doing a lot of the coordinating and working with those guys on the personnel front, and and uh uh take some of that that burden off his dad.
Speaker 10: Maybe, I don't know.
Speaker 13: And then uh and Justin Zanik Will would probably concentrate more on the day to day minutia with the agents and the office stuff and all that kind of thing. And you know, but they'll all be in the room, they'll all have a say. Again, don't know what the who the final voice is. I'm guessing it's Ryan Smith on the advice of Danny Ainge. That's just my guess because that would make sense to me that the owner is listening to the guy who's been there, done that, you know, as a player, coach, you know, GM everything, so you know, and he obviously implicitly respects and listens to Danny. And now Austin will be another voice in the room that we'll be able to lend some perspective and and and help them try to get back on track for what they're trying to build.
Speaker 1: So what we have here is something that is rather unique in the ecosystem of NBA basketball, where a team for three years has stumbled through what I articulate as a very awkward rebuild with some decisions I think are very questionable, and the jury is still out on most, if not all of them. Probably outside of Lowry and Walker, I don't know if Keante George even makes Oklahoma City's roster or Isaiah Callier, to be honest. So we have a team that has not won at all, and we have a future that's very murky based off the lack of talent on the roster. But what we have is a front office and a coaching staff that now appears to be locked in for a number of years, which you don't see when there's no data to indicate these people are good at what they do.
Speaker 2: And I'm not saying they are or they are not.
Speaker 1: I want to be clear, But what are your thoughts on the decision to let's go ahead and lock in our coach, let's go ahead and lock in our front office when the results, which is what this business is and what it always will be, have been mixed at best.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 13: Well, you know, part of it is, Spence, is that teams always talk about trying to get some level of continuity, so to trying to build something that has some sustainability but also has some natural flow to it. And the other way you can do that is when you have people in place that you believe know what they're doing, that can make some good decisions.
Speaker 10: And and you you don't.
Speaker 13: You don't, you don't shake the tree, and you don't change things up when you hit a bump in the road. And I think that's what they're trying to do. Now, you're you're right. They've They've been three years into this tear down whatever they want to call it, haven't made any headway. The last two years, they've been the worst defensive team in the league by all metrics.
Speaker 10: Haven't hasn't gotten any better.
Speaker 13: But we've also talked Spence about the idea that when you do these kind of things, there's a certain amount, certain percentage of the moves you make that that you control, that you make decisions on. You have the tenth pick in the draft last year, and so when when your when your turn comes up, you make a decision about you know, you're taking Cody Williams or you're taking this guy or the other guy or whatever, and you decide on this guy and then you now you have to live with that, and you know the guy does well, develops, doesn't. Whatever that is. You're living with those things. But then there's a certain percentage of this process that is beyond your control. It's stuff that either falls in your lap, like a trade opportunity, you know, whether it's something like, you know, Phoenix wants to get rid of Kevin Durant, say, or Yannis decides for whatever reason, he wants out of Milwaukee and he's decided, I'd like to go live in Salt Lake City.
Speaker 10: You know that kind of thing.
Speaker 13: So that falls in your lap, and you have to have the ability to respond to make something happen, like having draft picks or having players that the other team wants or whatever. And so that's something that happens can happen to you. And then the other part of it is the equation that we just saw a few weeks ago that went against the Jazz, which is you have have to be lucky when you do something like lose all year long in the hopes of getting a number one draft pick at a fourteen percent chance, and it doesn't fall your way and it goes the opposite way and instead of getting one, you get five. So that's something you can't control. And when you're relying on that and you're you're you're putting some of your eggs in that basket and it doesn't work.
Speaker 10: Now now you're scrambling. And so that's what they're gonna do.
Speaker 13: Uh, they're gonna get a good player at five if they if they keep five, and there's all kinds of scenarios they could get into and trying to move up or even move back, or try to parlay it into a couple of players if they like a couple of different guys or what have you, and all those kind of things that we'll be talking about in the next few weeks heading up to draft day. But that's that's the stuff that you have to be able to deal with. And you have to understand that some of the things you can control, and then some of the things you have to just wait for the bus to come by, and you hope it's the right bus, and if it's.
Speaker 10: Not going down the road you want to go down, then.
Speaker 13: You got to just keep sitting on the bus stop and waiting for the next bus. And as we've said before, Spence, there's no time frame on that. You can't say you have a five year plan. You can't say you have a six year plan because you have no idea what's going to come around the corner next week that might change your fortunes, and so what you're trying to do, you're always trying to improve your situation and improve your group in the way that you think is going to make sense. And some of that you control by taking your draft picks, which we know the guys they've taken the last few years, and have opinions about those guys, and then stuff that you can't control, like not getting Cooper flag and having to go to Plan B. So that's all part of that process, and that's why it's interesting, really, I think, to be if you're an NBA fan or Jazz fan, just to you know, remove yourself from your fandom in terms of rooting and wanting your team to go eighty two and zero every year, to look and see, wow, this is gonna be interesting and really can be fascinating to see what happens in the coming weeks and months, because I think there's a chance that a lot of things could change and be different between now and the start of training camp at the end of September.
Speaker 1: We should also reference that Austin, while in Boston that Ryan, I didn't mean to do that work with Will Hardy, who's an assistant coach for emy Udoka with the Boston Celtics, So there are synergies there as well. I wanted to ask you this though, many because you had a front row seat and still have a front row seat to a father son combo that originally built the best teams we had here with Frank and Scott.
Speaker 2: So you know, Frank was the coach.
Speaker 1: He also had a lot of say in player personnel decisions than Scotty was the general manager eventually, and of course you draft John Ocarl you got something special. You make trades for Hornisak and a bunch of other moves that's got made.
Speaker 2: Clearly did a good job here.
Speaker 1: What did you witness with the dynamic of that father son combo? What made it so successful early on running the Jazz Well, one of.
Speaker 13: The things that people will tell you who had the opportunity in the eighties and nineties to work under the Frank Laden and his leadership as the general manager, then the head coach and then the president of the team of during the nineties is that Frank was great at getting people in position to do certain responsibilities and then allowing them to do their job. You know, you've heard the often quoted phrase from Bill Belichick, the great Patriots coach, who would say, just do your job right. And Frank was great about hiring people and then letting them do their job. He was the ultimate macro manager and that he stood back and he if you were the PR person, he let you handle the PR stuff. And if you were the marketing guy, you did the market If you were the physical trainer guy or the head trainer, he lets you, you know, do your job. And and that's why everybody. Frank is so beloved by any everybody who worked for him all those years, because they all felt that he honored them and what they were trying to do for the organization by giving them the ability to make decisions and do what they thought was best. And you know, none of us are perfect, and we all make mistakes. But when you have the top person relying on you and letting you make decisions and letting you, you know, run your show, so to speak, you get all kinds of ownership from people, and you get all kinds of support because everybody wants to rally behind you, especially in the tough times because they go, you know, no, that's my guy.
Speaker 10: You know, he supports me. I support him. You know.
Speaker 13: Jerry Sloan was the same way. I remember, you know, more than a few times would be in a in a practice and and at the end of practice, Jerry would say, Okay, we have a we have a community event tomorrow with three and so make sure you remember that we're gonna do something downtown for for some charity or whatever. And you know, obviously there'd be some always some kind of player pushback.
Speaker 10: Or do I have to show up? I have to do this? And he goes, uh, well, I don't know, that's uh.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 13: Patty Ballely was our longtime community relations person. You go, Patty, what what what? What's the thing tomorrow? Well, we're doing this or whatever, and and guys would want to complain or something, and he would go, hey, hey, hey, hey, Patty told you what the deal is. That's the deal. It's not a big deal. We just do what we're asked to do and then we move on. And and so someone like that, Patty Valley would have all the support and respect to Jerry Sloan because she knew that he had her back when they had to, you know, when she had to do something and Frank was the same way. And uh, that's how you build, uh from from internally a sustainable organization because you have people working with you and for you who all feel like they are part of the process, that they are valued and what they do every day.
Speaker 10: That's how you get people to to work.
Speaker 13: Late, right, to stay after hours, to work on weekends, to work on holidays, to be away from their families or whatever, because they want to. They have a feeling that they're they're they're from doing something and having some input for the greater good of the of the entire organization. And and that's how the Jazz built what they had, along with the support of the Millers as the owners all those years and in that kind of an atmosphere. And you know, but what what what makes it ultimately tick Spence, really, when you get down to it, is you have to have players and in the players, and the players have to have success. And when the players have success and your competitive year after year, all that stuff trickles.
Speaker 10: Down, you know.
Speaker 13: And and and let me tell you, it makes a lot easier to go to work every day if that's the atmosphere around your building, you know, day in and day out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, before we catch a break.
Speaker 1: Chris Finch after the t Wolves lost, during his postgame presser, he said something along the lines there are thirteen teams in the West next year, they'd all think they have a shot for home court advantage.
Speaker 2: I went, all right, Well, he's.
Speaker 1: Leaving the Jazz off the list, and he's leaving probably the Blazers off the list.
Speaker 13: Right.
Speaker 1: San Antonio will probably think they've got a shot with Oneman Yama healthy and another pick. So it's clear that it's no secret. It's no secret to them down who's running like, we all know what the score is, we all know what the deal is. We all know what they did a year ago to manipulate lineups to lose intentionally for more bites of the apple. Didn't work. So before we catch a break. I don't know if the Austin Hire indicates a different direction. We'll have to wait and see what this hierarchy looks like. Whose voice is the loudest, what's the approach this year or is it very similar to what they did last year? Based off they've got a top eight protected pick. It goes okase, and you can't lose that asset, not at this point in your process. Many you have to do everything you can to hold onto that pick. So what do you think this year looks like?
Speaker 12: Well, it was.
Speaker 13: It's gonna depend spense on what happens between now and and training camp, and there's a lot of things that could happen. You know, in a worst case Jazz scenario, you know, they end up taking their picks that they have. They have four draft picks in the upcoming draft. They're picking five and twenty one in the first round, and then they're picking forty three and fifty three in the second round, So they have a potential to add four more young players. I don't think that will happen, but that's what's on the books at the moment. And if they don't do anything, then they'll be trying to get something happening and free agency in the summer, they'll try and get something going in the trade market with somebody somewhere, something crops up during the summertime. You know, those are the things you just don't know about. That's what we've been talking about all along, is the idea that they're hoarding all these draft picks and have all these so called assets just in case something comes up, like what's the something. I don't know, Phoenix wants to get rid of Devin Booker in his prime to start over as an example, Uh, you' honest, the honest thing whatever. I don't know if that's gonna really be a thing, but something like those types of things where the Jazz can at least get in the conversation.
Speaker 10: Does it happen? Who knows, you know, but those.
Speaker 13: Are all the things that they're positioning themselves to at least, you know, get in the room or get on a telephone and talk to somebody about something. Because when you get to September and you get into training camp and you walk going through your your preseason games and getting ready for the season in the middle of October, if things are pretty much the same as they are now, and you've added a few draft picks from thiscoming draft, and you've got the same players, and then you've got guys like Collins and Sexton and Clarkson who are all going to be on the last years of their of their deals. So are you going to be trying to trade them to some team that wants them, wants an expiring contract. Uh do you hold on to those because you think you can make a big splash and next summer in the free agent market. Uh, And then you're gonna use this next season as another tank season?
Speaker 10: Can you do that? And and and uh and.
Speaker 13: Incur the wrath of your fans who want to know, you know, well, why is this year gonna be different than last year?
Speaker 12: You know?
Speaker 13: Why do you think we're gonna have a different outcome? And you know, and all of that, and that's that's that's gonna be difficult to deal with and very painful if that's what is happening in uh, December and January. And you know, the Jazz don't want that. The Jazz want to put together this summer a whole different team and and move some guys around and bring in two all stars and get a draft pick like a Donovan Mitchell or Rudy Gobert that hits and right out of the box and all of a sudden, they're an exciting new team and whatever. That's what they're hoping for. But again, they can control some of that, and some of that they can't control, and they have to hope that something comes their way. That's what's gonna make this next several months. I think very intriguing if you're a Jazz observer or a Jazz fan wondering what's gonna happen for next year.
Speaker 1: All Right, we'll catch a break and coming up on the other side, the NBA Finals start on Thursday, so we should give some flowers, as the kids would say, to the team still playing basketball. So we'll do that, and then we'll talk about the Western Conference in the NBA and kind of try to figure out where the Jazz can fit in. As Chris Finch pointed out, thirteen really talented rosters reside in the West next year, so we'll see how it goes. Richard Smith live in studio for another big segment, and then we'll let you hear from Austin Aine, who addressed the media earlier. We got Smitty for another big segment here, and then we're gonna play you some common It's made by Austin Ainge earlier.
Speaker 2: Austin has been hired.
Speaker 1: By the Jazz as a new president of basketball operations. Our friend Sarah Todd Frond of the program a couple of tidbits real quick. Austin was asked about his philosophy on tanking manipulating minutes to improve lottery odds. His answer was, quote, you will not see that this year. Ryan Smith has said that Austin Ainge will have final say and will give recommendations to him. So s many we'll hear the comments later. You and I have been on air, so we couldn't hear them live. Austin is saying tanking is off the table next year, and Ryan himself is saying Austin Inge is now calling the shots to build his roster.
Speaker 13: Where your thoughts, so, well, what knee jerk reaction would be if he if he made the statement and use the phrase tanking is off the table, if that was accurate or however he phrased.
Speaker 2: It as quote, you will not see that this year.
Speaker 13: That's so so that to means there's some some admission that that's what they were doing, even though they've never said that, and obviously it was all under the guise of player development and trying to figure out which I see some of I can't. I can't get on board with the whole thing because, as we've talked about before, Spence, that's why you have a G League team, You have a G league team to get guys forty minutes a night and get them used to playing an NBA game and all that, and they're gonna say that, well, it's best if they're doing it against NBA guys, which I I, okay, I understand some of that, but again, you've got fans to consider and people who are paying money and sponsors and all that kind of stuff. But anyway, if that's if that's what he's saying, if that's the intent, then it's gonna be interesting that that would even lean more into our comments in the previous segment about the Jazz then really wanting to or needing to get in a lot of action this summer with free agents or with trades or something to reinvent the group they have, because the group they have right now, even if those guys are playing, those guys are gonna win, you know, maybe they win thirty games, thirty four games, something whatever. And if if that is what you think or you believe that's that's the worst case scenario. That's the worst place to be because you don't you never spence want to be in the gray area in the middle of the league, because you don't get anywhere you're picking you're picking fourteen, fifteen, sixteen, whatever. And so you want to be one of the top five teams who has a legitimate chance to do something like Indiana, okac you're still doing, or you want to be one of the bottom five teams like the Jazz were this year and have a chance at the top lottery prize, which they didn't get.
Speaker 10: Next year's draft is going to be, by by most people's.
Speaker 13: Evaluations, is going to be a very good draft also, and so if that's the case as well a year from now, uh, the Jazz would have another opportunity and at a good prospect and a good talent. But you know, if if Austin Ainge is saying that's off the table, that's not what we're gonna do, then that's gonna be interesting, because that would mean to me, then we're gonna see a lot of stuff happening or at least attempting to happen, uh, in the in the coming months. Because you can talk all you want about signing free agents and you know, and we beat to death the famous Danny Ainge quote of big game hunting and all that, but that's what you're doing all the time, Spence and sometimes you don't get the big game, and sometimes you come home and you don't have anything on the hood to the car because you didn't get anything, and when you went hunting, and and so you can try all those things, but you have to get be able to get something done. That's gonna be the trick for the Jazz because if they're not gonna do this other thing, which I can I can understand that. You know, Austin Dane is. You know, I don't think he's coming into to say, yeah, we're gonna we're gonna try and lose and get another take another swing at that thing and next year.
Speaker 10: I don't think he could say anything different.
Speaker 13: He wants to come in and give people hope that you know, I'm here to help us get better and improve and and help us come along with us, and we're gonna get this done and whatever.
Speaker 10: That's that's what part of what his job is.
Speaker 1: Here's another quote from Ryan Smith when asked about Austin Ryan and this is Andy Larson's Twitter profile quote. Austin will be running the program. He's got final recommendation to myself on any decisions that need to be made. I think it's the job of justin Danny myself to plug into him. So that is Ryan still saying that he's making final decisions.
Speaker 2: So he's saying Austin.
Speaker 1: Will be running the program, but the way he's characterized it is he's got final recommendation to myself on any decisions.
Speaker 13: Well if that, if that's the case, then you know, I'd be interested to hear how where Danny, Danny Ainge fits in all this and whether Danny is is this a precursor to Danny, you know, getting one foot out the door, and is Danny and and uh, you know, on the verge of you know, saying, hey, Austin can take it from here.
Speaker 10: And you know, I originally retired you know, five.
Speaker 13: Years ago or six years ago, whatever it was, from the Celtics, and that was my intent. And then Ryan Smith talked me, you know, back into coming back in and helping the Jazz, and I've done that. But I'm you know, I'm you know, we put this new person then just happens to be my son. He's in a position of authority within the basketball operations. And so does that mean Danny's going to have a lesser profile going forward? And does that mean that he's going to have less and less involvement. If that's If that's the case, that's that that would be interesting for me to hear something in that regard.
Speaker 2: Good point.
Speaker 1: Here's a Will Hardy quote on Austin Age quote. During my time with the Celtics, I really enjoyed working alongside Austin and was able to gain a great appreciation for his basketball inside and acumen. Having Austin health guide our group as we continue to grow as huge for our program. Are you surprised we haven't heard anything from Daniel from Danny himself, So again.
Speaker 10: I don't know.
Speaker 13: It's it'll be interesting Spence, how you know if that comes out in the coming weeks or months.
Speaker 2: Or maybe he's just finding out about this today.
Speaker 13: You know that while that part I I'm that's I. I can't put any any credence in any of that. That doesn't make any sense to me, But you know, be that as it may. If if that's what what Ryan Smith is saying, If that's what Will Hardy is saying, it will be interesting to hear from the CEO who has had the final say, or at least was the point man up to this point, and is he is that is that in the offering of of changing, you know, after the dust settles, after the draft and free agency, and does Danny, you know, in August, say hey, guys, it's been fun.
Speaker 10: I'll see you around.
Speaker 13: You know, the George Harrison quote, you know, hey guys, it's been fun. I'll see you around the clubs when he quit, the Beatles walked.
Speaker 10: Out and you know.
Speaker 13: So, I don't know, I don't know. I not saying anything bad. I don't know anything about that. It's just it is interesting that if Danny's been the guy and now other people, the owner and the head coach alluding or making direct comments to Austin Aine is now the guy, then that, you know, just brings up the question that I would have like, and so what happened to the other guy? What what is the deal with the guy who was the guy?
Speaker 10: You know what I mean?
Speaker 13: So, I don't know that that'll be interesting to hear how that how that plays out.
Speaker 1: I wonder if the George Harrison in this dynamic is their current general manager, who also has not been prominently featured in many of these press releases.
Speaker 2: Because I don't know how this is gonna work.
Speaker 1: I really don't And Xanik at one point was thought to be the next general manager of Milwaukee before that went to Horst.
Speaker 10: I think.
Speaker 1: And Zanik is a very well respected person across the landscape of basketball and all levels of ecosystems. As a former agent, he could probably get another job if he wanted one. Maybe he just likes living here. And again, we all want to stay employed. So you're not gonna hear anybody say anything out of turn. That's why I always remind listeners you listen to these press conferences and then you actually try to dig in to translate what they're saying, because they rarely give you the truth when they're talking to the public or talking to the media. You reference the Danny Ainge Big Game hunting, then it was Drew you Banks and Patty Mills, and everybody's like, wait what. And so it's Austin today saying we will not be tanking next year. But if we play that tape forward, Smithy, and if we look at who the Jazz have on their roster, and we don't know what the roster will look like in the fall, I'm gonna go out out of lamb and say John Collins picks up that thirty million dollar option.
Speaker 2: That's my best guess.
Speaker 10: Wow.
Speaker 2: Wow, take today, Stephen A.
Speaker 1: Smith on the program, I'm going to go out out of lamb and say Collins, now if he doesn't, but he's going to. If he doesn't, they'll have some money to work with. But if he does, which he will, they will not have cap space, believe it or not. Even though the books moving forward are clean, most of the expirings, like John and JC and everybody that's next off season, so they don't have a ton of avenues to add to the group. They'll have the draft picks as you referenced, and then we know the group as it is. But if we go off what Chris Finch said, and I don't think he's wrong that there are thirteen rosters in the West that are good and young and developed. If we play the tape forward and we take Austin at his word and they're going to put best foot forward and try to win this year, and they win like thirty two games and get the ninth pick and that goes to Oklahoma City, that's a massive step in the wrong Directionsmittie.
Speaker 2: It just is yeah.
Speaker 13: Well, and again, Spencer, they're going to have the guys you just mentioned, the so called veterans Sexton and Clarkson and the Collins are all on one I have one year left on their deals coming up this next season. So those are an NBA parliams referred to as expiring deals that a lot of teams are interested in because they feel like maybe a player in that situation can help them in the short term without that tea making any kind of commitment pass that current season. And so those might be guys who you know, might start the year on the Jazz, but then the Jazz find a home for them somewhere else where they can get either another player that they like or or some other draft assets. You don't know again how that would play out. A lot of teams, people forget, but a lot of teams are over the salary cap. And if you're over the salary cap into the luxury tax, then you become Then you have to have all these these mathematicians and these numbers guys who tell you who you can trade and who you can't trade because you can't trade, you know, John Collins to a team that's in the luxury tax and take back two first round picks because they're they're taking in twenty six million dollars in that scenario that they can't take on because they're in the tax So you have to trade twenty six million for twenty six million.
Speaker 10: So you have to have some kind of balance there.
Speaker 13: And so a lot of those trades that you'd like to do, you can't do just because the rules don't let you do it. So a lot of those things you get, you get hampered by. So it's it's it's not an enviable position to be in, other than the Jazz have a lot of flexibility to do a lot of different things, but you have to be able to get those things done, you know.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 13: Part of me also says and and again I don't know what their their their final iteration and setup is going to be, but I would think looking at most teams and how they operate and the teams the guys I know are on the league who are still in front offices and in those kinds of positions. Uh, not to take anything away from him, because I'm a I'm an Austin Ainge fan, and and I really like him, and I know he works very hard. But you're taking a call from Austin Ange or you're taking a call from Danny Ainge. Danny Ainge has a track record, and Danny Ainge has more clout and more umph and so you're more likely to, you know, to to take a call from him in terms of trying to you know, discuss something or whatever. Now, you know, maybe maybe Danny's still going to be doing that.
Speaker 10: We don't know. Uh, maybe he's the guy who makes those kind of phone calls.
Speaker 13: I don't know that. Uh, maybe that stuff is going to be turned over to Austin. If Ryan Smith is accurate or you know, if that's the way they're setting it up for for Austin to be the final guy. Uh, then that that that's That's the thing that's intriguing to me at the moment is is where where Danny uh is in all of this kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would be very curious because Danny I do not believe was made available during this press or. I'm not seeing quote spill in from him looking at the beat Riders covering it. We will play a portion of this press conference coming up in a little bit. Look, man, uh like Oklahoma City. There's a stat that just flashed on ESPN. They're the youngest team as far as average age to play in the NBA Finals since nineteen fifty five, their average age is twenty four point seven years old. And I could go down the list. You know, the deal, the West is a bear.
Speaker 2: It is tough.
Speaker 1: I just don't know what's a realistic expectation. If if the new guy in charge is Austin Age and he is telling the community today last year's approach is nothing we're interested in this year and you add two first round picks to this roster and maybe you find the guy in the second round you think you can play for you and those are your off season maneuvers. Because to the points that we've been talking about, there just aren't a lot of other avenues this offseason for them to get something done.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying it's impossible.
Speaker 1: I'm saying it's hard for me to see based off the real game changers that may leave their teams. And I'm talking Jannis in Durant and maybe New York does something with Kat, Maybe Boston's new ownership says I'm not interested and riding a five hundred million dollar check just to have the roster. Jay like none of those players will agree to be traded to the Jazz to play for the Utah Jazz based off of where they're at right now. The reason you guys were able to trade for Mike Conley is you had a ready made team that was ready to win. Mike looked at your group and said, yeah, I'll go join Mitchell and Gobert and I'll be coached by Quinn. That's a good team. You've got to build up a good team before any vet is going to look at your group and say, yeah, I'm going to join them. What's generally speaking, your thoughts on what this could look like if this is your group with some other rookies added to it and they try to put their best foot forward and compete in a Western conference that is just stacked right now.
Speaker 13: Well, it's it's a very daunting task. You're going to have to have your young guys really develop and really, you know, make a turn a corner. And what they've been able to do so far in the NBA caun'te George, for example, if he's going to be getting minutes next year, he's got to figure out how to play some defense. He plays no defense right now, but he's got to get better at that. The Collier kid he has to learn how to make some shots from the outside. He has to show improvement in that area. They those two guys, Philipowski I think can be a rotation guy for a decent team because he's a little bit. You can move him around a little bit, have some flexibility with him. Hendrix, we still don't know because he had the terrible tragedy with the broken leg and so the jury's out on him. Cody Williams, I don't know what his deal is. I'm not sure he's even an NBA player. That's just my personal opinion. But it's interesting that they're gonna have They're gonna have to rely on several of these guys to turn a corner in terms of their development, to show that they can improve, move and be part of, you know, a winning effort going forward.
Speaker 10: We know Marketing can be that.
Speaker 13: We know that we know Kessler can be a standard bearer in the middle, to be a rim protector, to be a shot blocking threat, to be a rebounder in traffic. We know he can do those things. But again, having said those things, Spence, I don't think any of those guys are protected or are untouchable because you're trying to build a team that wasn't very good the last couple of years, and no matter what improvements guys make, they have to really show that they can be contributed, contributing members of a winning effort and a positive growth spurt in terms of how they play. Is that going to take place this next year? Are they're going to add some other guys to the to the mix that are gonna help them. That's a tall task. That's a lot to ask. And you know you're talking about okay See Spence. When you look at it, okay see is going to be interesting because they're not only set up right now to be successful in the present and for the long term going forward, but they also should have had a whole different team in place still because they had this set up Spence over a decade ago when they drafted in successive drafts Kevin Durant, James Harden, Russell Westbrook. They hit on three draft picks. Boom, boom boom. They went to the twenty twelve NBA Finals. They should still be together really, when you think about it, they should still be running the show in Oklahoma City.
Speaker 10: But what happens.
Speaker 13: You get a taste of a success and all of a sudden, money egos getting the way, and now none of those guys are there. They're long gone their history. Oklahoma City brought in Paul George. That didn't work. He begged his way out, forced his way out. Sam Presty, who's one of the smartest gms going, you know, he said, Hey, the guy doesn't want to be here. I don't want him here if he doesn't want to be here, and so he moved him to the Clippers. He wanted to go to the Lakers. He moved them to the Clippers. He got Gilgess Alexander after his rookie year. He's a nice player, but he wasn't that player until he got to OKAC and Sam, I think would be one of the first guys to tell you, well, we thought he'd be a nice player, and he was part of the deal, and because we were kind of forced into doing a deal, and we got lucky.
Speaker 10: Okay.
Speaker 13: So we're gonna say that thirty percent of it was us being smart and seventy percent of it was us being lucky. Okay, And that's the deal. Well, Sacramento. Sacramento Drafteddaron Fox. Three years later, they draft Tyreese Halliburton. Now they've got two very good point guards on their roster and they're trying to figure out what do we do with these two guys and what happens Spence. We fast forward to today, they don't have either one of them. Isn't Sacramento. They've gotten rid of both of them, right, And so the point being that you can have these grand plans and you can have this thing laid out to what you want to do, it doesn't always work the way you want it to. You have to be able to shuck and jive and be able to make adjustments as you go to build your group. Sam Presty has done a great job not only in building his group, but in the fact that he has been able to not only develop guys, but he's been able to draft the right guys for how they're playing. And they're really a testament to how you can build a team if you're smart and diligent and kind of have your head about.
Speaker 1: You all right before I set you loose because we ran out of time. This is just going to be really fascinating to watch play out. I am of the opinion based off of the fact that there's a top eight protected pick in the draft next year.
Speaker 2: You need that asset.
Speaker 10: You have to.
Speaker 1: And look, I know that the whole losing intentionally and manipulating lineups is a really difficult thing for a fan base to ask for and or to ask from your fan base. And I have legitimate questions about because the culture thing, I mean, it's real. You want to build a culture in sports and business in life.
Speaker 2: I know it's real.
Speaker 1: But can you build a culture well, you're unseerious about competing. I have real serious questions about that. So it's a it's a it's a juxtaposition. It's it's an interesting paradox that they're faced with because I do think you need that asset next year. I think you need that pick nex year, and I think you need to put yourself in a similar position that you were in this year to at least have chances. But you're also spinning your wheels if you're unserious about competing when you're trying to build culture. Right, So, from the perspective of the Isaiah Calliers in Keante George's and Cody Williams and Bryce Sensibaz and Taylor Hendrix, like the grip of Philipowski's the grip of young players they have.
Speaker 2: On their roster.
Speaker 1: What are you hoping for this offseason for them to come into training camp in the fall to indicate that they are ready to develop in a way that quite frankly, I just haven't seen so far.
Speaker 13: Well, you're you're spot on about the culture thing, because what's interesting, Spence's is at the professional level, it's it's very difficult to build a culture when everyone in the in the room is accepting the idea that we're not really serious about winning. That is a difficult thing because what happens is you start builduilding those habits yep, about not winning and that the guys next to me are okay with that and who else, Oh, my bosses seem to be okay with that. And that is a tough deal because when you get if, you if you turn the corner and you get better and you are in a position to challenge for playoff positioning or playoff seating or whatever whatever it is as a competitive, serious team, you have to learn how to do that, and you have to learn how to break through the wall to be able to have a level of success. And it's hard to learn how to know how to do that. If you haven't done it to that point in time, and you know, we see that, you know, I heard that from some of the New York Knicks players, you know after the series with the Pacers that you know, you know, making progress, but we're you know, learning these steps about what we have to do to get better. And these are all star level competitive guys in the middle of their careers, right, and so you're asking a young group that hasn't won to all of a sudden have that kind of approach and culture it is. It is a difficult thing. You really have to get at some point be able to lay on your group and to be able to say we expect this, we expect this kind of production. If we're not getting it, then we're moving on to the next guy. That's what made Jerry Sloan's such a great play. Hey, the Jazz had great players. Okay, that's step one. Whether you have Stockton Malone, whether you add hornerseeck, you draft of Brian Russell in the second round, you get a Greg Oster tag, a serviceable big guy, a rim protector. At the end of the first round, whatever it is, you get Darren Williams with.
Speaker 10: A top pick.
Speaker 13: Whatever you have to get guys, but then they have to create the culture of winning based on the fact that we're not accepting less than that. And to this point, the Jazz seemed to be accepting that this is their lot to be down at the bottom, and we're not worried about the winning. That scares me because that's something that is hard to manufacture and fabricate, you know, without going through the hard work of doing it.
Speaker 10: So this summer is gonna be big for the Jazz. Young guys.
Speaker 13: It's going to be interesting to see how they come back in the fall, how many of them are still on the roster. That's gonna be an interesting thing because if Austin Angels is a truder's word about we're not doing that again, then I would think that there's got to be a lot of changing and a lot of different dynamics that go on between now and next October.
Speaker 2: Oh dear, well, we'll have to see.
Speaker 1: I mean, I continue to remind our listeners, we just were self spoiled so long with just incremental quote unquote rebuilds two to three years, then boom, we're back to having a good team here. And when you look across the landscape, of the NBA. There are plenty of cities and plenty of organizations that have found themselves in a perpetual state of where the Jazz are now decades, not three, four, five years, Charlotte. I think it's been twenty one years since they won a playoff series. I don't remember the last Washington had a little something with Beale and Wall for a second, but like.
Speaker 13: I don't know, man, it's Sacramento sacramental, and to me, that's an owner thing. They had a little blip a couple of years ago. They had a good young team. They had a Coach of the Year Mike Brown, then they fired him, then they fired the general manager, all within a twelve month period. Like, you can't, you know, you can't do things like that and expect that you're going to get a continued traction. You have to believe in what the courses you've laid out, and then you have to be willing to take the hard knocks to go along. And maybe that's you know, the Jazz are adding a guy like and As to their group, and maybe that's the next step in the progression that they're looking for.
Speaker 2: Would help if you had players, But.
Speaker 13: You gotta have play That's always. That's always the thing. You have to have players. I remind people all the time. Pat Riley said a great thing when we were playing in the Lakers in the eighties and in a playoff series, and they asking about all these different things they were doing scouting wise, and he finally looked at the reporter and said, well, I don't know if we have any advantage that way.
Speaker 10: I think our advantage is that we have Kareem and magic.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 13: You know, if you have Kareem and magic, yeah, I think that's a good place to start.
Speaker 1: Okay, for sure. It's many great to see is always. Thanks for the time, and we'll chat SAE. All right, the great Richard Smith. All right, we'll watch out of the final hour of the program coming up in just a bit.
Speaker 2: NBA Finals begin on Thursday.
Speaker 1: The battle for Lord Stanley's Chop will begin on Wednesday. But big news, kind of unexpected news here in the market. Austin Ainge has been hired as the new basketball president of basketball Operations for the Utah Jazz. Just wrapped up his comments from earlier, So in case you didn't have a chance here, it is Austin Ainge, the new President of basketball Operations for Utah Jazz.
Speaker 8: Bid Too.
Speaker 14: Announced that Austin Ange will be the new president of Utah Jazz basketball operations. We will open with remarks from Governor Ryan Smith and then turn the time over to Austin before we open up four questions, right.
Speaker 8: Yeah, thanks everyone for being here.
Speaker 3: Today is a great day for Utah Jazz Basketball. It's an awesome opportunity to welcome Austin Age is our president of basketball operations. We've we've had this role open for some time and we've been very methodical about it, and we're super excited that Austin and his family made a decision to come to Utah. Another bright, brilliant executive that we're bringing to the state and run our basketball program. So we couldn't be more excited. Ashley my elf our group and having him run basketball for the Utah Jazz and specifically not anyone else.
Speaker 8: So we're excited to have you here.
Speaker 3: I think before I kick it over to Austin, I'm sure O there's probably a lot of questions around organizational structure and design. And you know what I've learned in business and also in the NBA that every organization is.
Speaker 8: Set up a little different for us.
Speaker 3: Austin will be running the program. He's got final recommendation to myself on any decisions that need to be made. I think it's the job of both Justin, Danny and myself to kind of plug into him, and so hopefully that alleviates quite a few questions of who kind of has the final decision on roster and management and personnel. His resume speaks for himself, speaks for itself for seventeen years kind of growing up either playing hoops, scouting, coaching, and particularly on roster management.
Speaker 8: I think it couldn't come in a.
Speaker 3: Better time for what we're at as an organization, and we're just thrilled. I'm super excited that he's chosen to come back here after playing in Utah for four years, and we're.
Speaker 8: Super lucky to have you. So excited to get to work. Man. Thanks I'm so excited. Thank you so much. Ryan.
Speaker 4: I just I wanted to kind of explain why I chose to do this, why I'm so excited about this opportunity. The first thing is people Brian and Ashley, their passion, their leadership, their energy, their drive, They really really want to do this right and I couldn't think of better people to partner with. So and then the management of the team and the coaching staff of the team. Obviously, I used to have a share a wall with Will in Boston. We've known each other for a number of years and talked to a lot of basketball. I'm a big believer in Will Justin I've known since too thousand and nine. Very excited to work with him and lean on him and learn from him. My father and I worked together for fourteen years and had a lot of fun and a lot of success.
Speaker 8: I'd love to try to take that success right now.
Speaker 4: And there's a whole great group of management people here.
Speaker 8: Some of them are right here with us.
Speaker 4: A lot of people I've known for since they were nineteen, Avery Bradley and other others. Anyway, a lot of great people. The next thing is the state and specifically the fans. The passion here it's not common, it's not everywhere in this NBA, and that passion is so infectious, and it pushes a team, it pushes a franchise, It holds us accountable, it puts pressure, good pressure to succeed. And that was a huge, huge draw for me. And then lastly, the situation of the team. We have a ton of optionality, a lot of future picks, lot of things we can do. It's going to take a lot of work, but I can't wait to get started.
Speaker 10: To pull the thing.
Speaker 14: But gets a question, please raise your hands and then also announce your game and outlets of Austin.
Speaker 15: You get to know you, Ryan millerksel dot com Austin. You're coming in in the middle of a rebuild kind of how do you approach that? On how they've done things in the past and how firstus how you want to do things in the future.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm learning a little bit how they did things in the past, but and I'll just try to add what I can. But it's really, uh, there's a lot of ways you can execute it, but mostly it's just making a lot of good decisions over and over and over.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 4: Two ways, second round picks, first round picks, trades, free agency. It's just making good decisions, stacking up good players so you have more to work with. That's really the job. And so whether you're in the middle, the beginning or the end of building a team, that's what you're doing every day, trying to make good decisions and so that's what we'll.
Speaker 8: Try to do.
Speaker 16: Dana Green with ABC for Ryan just said, you're gonna have final say and personnel decisions, but how will you consult Justin and your father about making those decisions and then maybe just discuss the dynamic you have with Danny and how you've worked together and what that dynamic.
Speaker 8: Is Like Yeah, I mean you know it.
Speaker 4: I plan on including da Justin, Will and lots of people here, everyone like this is a This is a team sport, both downstairs and upstairs, right, this is this is.
Speaker 8: A team thing. Ryan will be super involved in everything. Of course.
Speaker 4: This is where we're gonna have millions of conversations and argue and fight and research and work and watch and then get in a room and figure it out, you know. And that's that's really how it works in all these world organizations. And I mean, you know, specifically with my father, we've we've been doing this since I you know a kid, even you know, working with together or separate teams, or before either of us were working with teams, talking about players, talking about ball.
Speaker 8: That's that's life. That's fun.
Speaker 17: Ben Anderson KSL Sports. Do you have austin an approach to how to build teams in the NBA of what you think is winning right now, where the league is headed, and how attainable that is.
Speaker 8: Well, I can't tell you all the secrets.
Speaker 4: No, I mean, I really believe that It is kind of a boring answer, but I really believe it's just stacking good decisions one on top of the other. And you know a lot of times people see the big trade or the you know, big move, that big free agent signing or something as the end, but really that requires lots of diligent management to build up to that point, right, And so it's just about stacking good decisions together.
Speaker 8: And that's what we're gonna try to do.
Speaker 15: Ryan Miller KSL dot com. Uh, what was the process like of getting this job? When did you get first contact each other? Well, yeah, kind of just take take us through that whole thing.
Speaker 8: Brian, Do you want to do that one you want me to do? We can both do it when it can start.
Speaker 4: I got a text from Ryan it said, hey call me or hey I got a question.
Speaker 8: Can you call me? You know, and uh, actually I was in a meeting with.
Speaker 4: New Celtics ownership for two hours planning their entire offseason and I got I gotta I got a text, so I couldn't respond for a while. When I got out, I called him and it was kind of an interesting conversation.
Speaker 8: I'll even let you take it for yeah, Like I.
Speaker 3: Think for me, it's something that that we had always thought about within the organization with with this role. You know, when Danny came in, he was very clear that he did not want to be the president of basketball operations, and that's.
Speaker 8: The role that he had.
Speaker 3: He wanted to be able to choose his spots at this phase of his career, but still had a lot to offer and value. And Danny can play business with us till he's eighty five, and Michelle doesn't want him in the house anymore. Whatever it is like, And you know, when you have a Hall of Famer that's around, you know, whether it's last week watching him post up Cody Williams down there, or like whatever it is where he wants to go. You know, I've always kind of wanted to get him in that role. And I would say that over the last two years, I think Justin and Danny have operated probably about as lean as any team in.
Speaker 8: The organization in the NBA, just with their roles and how they did it. So it's been something that had been on my mind. But really it came to.
Speaker 3: A conversation with me and Ashley and some of the folks in our group and said, you know, who would you go get?
Speaker 8: What would you do?
Speaker 3: And I kept coming back to Austin the challenges. I had no clue how Austin well. And you know, they've been in a pretty epic championship window.
Speaker 8: It's clear where his role was and when he meant to that organization.
Speaker 3: It was also very clear that not only at the beginning of last year, but this summer, his name was starting to float around and a lot of these other opportunities to run teams. And you know, kind of had to pit my stomach last year when I saw that because I always.
Speaker 8: Had this back of my head.
Speaker 3: He really needed to know that I felt that way, and I don't think that he'd ever known that. So I called him and told him how I felt and how I saw this, and he called me back after that meeting, said he can't get this out of my head. Was this something that you would think about now? I was like, whenever you're ready, And called me back the next morning and.
Speaker 4: Said he was kind of said, like, if we're going to do this like now, is that I.
Speaker 8: Want to be a part of.
Speaker 4: These are big decisions coming up, and if this is something we want to talk about, it.
Speaker 3: Now feels like the right So the biggest the biggest challenge for me was I had to call Danny, who was not and down said I hired your son, and Danny I had built a lot of trusts over the last fifteen years and I didn't know at that point whether I had completely lost all trusts or he was going to say that was the right move. But well, here we are, and so I couldn't be more excited. And then just knowing jay z and and how much of a team player and how how great their skill sets compliment each other. You know, I think from the outside oftentimes in the NBA, you know, you see that someone made that trade or someone did this.
Speaker 8: I've never been part.
Speaker 3: Of the decision in the league where it's not a group and a team effort, just like we're trying to build on the court.
Speaker 8: And so I'm really excited.
Speaker 3: We got better, the Jazz got better with this move, and I'm really excited for.
Speaker 8: It going forward. So that's kind of how it happened.
Speaker 3: You know, Fortunately Austin felt as good about our situation as I felt about him, and things happened quick, and so I also would be remissed if I didn't think Brad Stevens and the Celtics because when I called Brad just the way he handled it, knowing that that was probably not an easy call for him to receive, given where they're at and what Austin into that organization.
Speaker 8: He was also so excited and saying that it.
Speaker 3: Was the best part of his job that he gets to see this and that that was a super smart move. And he hopes that Austin still feels as strongly about the trades with you doz he did from this side.
Speaker 4: So he tried to negotiate with me on like immediately great great, as Da did when he left and came here.
Speaker 17: Yes, Ben Anderson KL Sports, you mentioned big decisions coming up, like in the next three weeks. You've got a top five pick and you can start negotiating extensions for some of the players.
Speaker 5: Are you it's three weeks enough.
Speaker 17: Time to have intopend knowledge of like what going on? They said, you know, the Celtics are picking what twenty eighth or whatever it is, correct, Yeah, how familiar with a fifth pick and then the players already on this roster.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean luckily, you know, I've always believed and we've always done it where you evaluate everyone, you know, the whole draft it is. You never know what trades come in on the clock, and so I've definitely spent a lot of time.
Speaker 8: I interviewed most of these young players at.
Speaker 4: The combine already, I've put in the time all year on these guys.
Speaker 8: So I feel prepared.
Speaker 4: But certainly, well, we'll crunch and I can't wait to learn from all the great people in the jazz organization and get their input and think through it big decisions. There'll be trade conversations, all all these things. It's a very active time of year, so we got a lot to prepare for.
Speaker 8: David Lockjazz Radio. Seems as though this season may have been.
Speaker 18: The first time where the new collective barging griment really began to put a stamp on the league and roster building. What did you learn from watching how the first season of this new collective part agreement had an impact on how you roster build now.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's a great question, David it's it's subtle differences.
Speaker 4: You know, it's still talent and teamwork and you know, all the same things there. I think some extensions and other contracts will be negotiated a little stronger. Bird rights used to matter a little bit more, to get a little bit.
Speaker 8: Into the weeds on this stuff. But I think.
Speaker 4: There's uh, it's a it's a firmer cap, right, and so every dollar matters a little more.
Speaker 8: We used to care a lot about expiring contracts.
Speaker 4: We used to care a lot about holding on to players for potential trades, and really now the trades are easier and it's more about the space and the room under the aprons. So that's the short answer.
Speaker 10: Dana Green, ABC four.
Speaker 16: Perception of this current jazz team and how far away are they from becoming allegitate playoff contender.
Speaker 8: It's a great question.
Speaker 4: I you know, it'll just depend on how these guys develop and what other moves we make, right, It's a it's a hard thing to predict.
Speaker 8: I think it's fair to say we got a lot of work to do.
Speaker 19: Hi, Austin Lauren Green, sideline reporter here at the Utah Jazz. It's nice to meet you. You mentioned the situation of the team, a ton of optionality as well in the upcoming years. What excites you about that and just being in that battle with the different people who are in this room and just in this organization.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean there's a lot of moves right when you have a treasure trove of assets, there's a lot of things you can do. And we have young players we're excited about and see how they develop.
Speaker 8: There. There's a lot of different ways to go hopefully up.
Speaker 20: Sean O'Connell ESPN seven hundred, as someone correctly stated, seems like a team in a rebuild, and some things were done this past season to potentially manipulate where the team would end up in the draft lottery odds, and unfortunately, some of that is dependent on luck, and the team got a little bit unlucky. So do you have a philosophy what is your philosophy on for lack of a better term, to be in delicate tanking or you know, manipulating minutes and player performance in order to achieve better lot of reodds.
Speaker 8: Won't see that this year.
Speaker 2: Jb JP Chuga Utah Jazz dot com.
Speaker 7: Ryan.
Speaker 17: When you look at the front office editions, Austin meant mentioned Avery Bradley bringing in Danny.
Speaker 2: How have you seen the front office.
Speaker 15: And the executive part add to the pool of talent that you already inherited with ownership.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think anytime, and just like they're going to go through and in Boston, any you kind of come in, you're you're starting over a little bit because you kind of sit down. It's actually a weird experience when you come in for the first time and take over because you really didn't choose anyone that's there. And you know, fortunately for us, I mean, jay Z and and a couple of the other folks, we're just true team players, and they came in and said, hey, you know, you know, jay Z was a little bit of a mentor to me as we came in and was like, hey, I got you, Like, this is going to be crazy. We're not going to do anything rash. I mean, there's a lot of school of thoughts here. And then you know, when Danny was able to come in, it was just another step in that process. And this is a really big step because ultimately, you know, this is Austin's show and we're all part of it, and you know, we're truly working as a team. But if I look at Will and his contract extension, I look at where Austin's come coming in continuity is really really important to me. And I think the one thing that Jazz fans can take away from this is we're sitting in a really good spot up top. We've got to go match that on the court.
Speaker 15: With your connections to utub and put at b yu, is this a dream job for you?
Speaker 4: And what was that first conversation with your father after you accepted the position? This is a dream. I mean, I've worked for a lot of years to to have the opportunity to lead lead a team, right.
Speaker 8: This is kind of was the next evolution for.
Speaker 4: Me in my career and it it we always, you know, in the basketball business, we always say ownership is the most important advantage and so be able to do this in Utah with Ryan and Ashley is very much a dream.
Speaker 19: Uh.
Speaker 4: You know, Da and I have talked, you know, many multiple times a week forever and he just I can't remember, said something like this is awesome.
Speaker 8: It's gonna be so fun, you know. Kevin round Stelly tribute. This one's to Ryan with how the draft lottery played out.
Speaker 17: Does that change your approach to the rebuild and change your thinking on the rebuild at all, or are you guys gonna stick the course.
Speaker 8: I think Austin kind of answered that.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think, you know, we've got smart people around the table and they'll look at all the optionality that's that's in front of us, But you know we're gonna get a great player if we draft at five. So I think that I think that's kind of missed and all this. As disappointed as everyone was not to get the number one pick, I think, you know, maybe something that.
Speaker 8: Isn't talked about enough as the.
Speaker 3: Talent that's in this draft, and we'll be prepared if you look at the playoffs and look at all the best players in the NBA and how many of them went number one.
Speaker 4: It's it's better to have number one, but there's a lot of other stars that came from all over the draft, and certainly the Jazz have a long history of second rounders that have become All Stars, and you know, so it's not the only way to do it.
Speaker 21: James Peterson, ESPN seven hundred. There's a perception Austin that there's certain ways you can't build a team in Utah, which I'm sure you're aware of that perception. You obviously had a lot of success building it the way you did in Boston, you and your team there. That said, how much of how you went about roster construction there?
Speaker 5: Do you feel like you can dupicate here in Utah?
Speaker 4: I think it's the same, Honestly. I think this is a great place, and I think you build it the right way, like I said, stacking good decisions.
Speaker 8: Over and over and over.
Speaker 4: And players want hope, they want to win, they want great culture, they want great coaching, they want great teammates. So that's what we have to give them.
Speaker 16: Dane Degreen, ABC four for Ryan, can you define Justin's Annix's role with the organization?
Speaker 19: Now?
Speaker 3: After this, Justin's the GM of the organization. His role hasn't changed at all. And you know, I actually think that if you think about the skill set that Austin has and you know jay Z's skill set, they actually work really well. I mean Austin, Austin came up from player coach heavily, heavily in the scouting and talent evaluation and roster construction. I think jay Z came up as an attorney or lawyer into talent much more managing players on that side, and it's kind of come over to this side together and if you look at where they meet up, and then you combine that with with DA who hopefully can pick his spots a little bit more, you know, and have a little bit more depth there as well as the demands on the league. I mean, we're supposed to be everywhere once. I mean, you know, we're supposed to be here watching our team while also tournaments are going on in the Big East and the Big twelve, plus you know, overseas. I mean, I was just talking to Austin today about all the trips that he spent all over Europe, all over Australia, and and you know, we're all supposed to be everywhere, and so I think that, as I mentioned earlier, we got a lot better. I think the one commonality that you have between everyone is like there's truly, truly a good vibe and teamwork, and I think Will's a big piece of that as well as the other parts of our organization, which is what I'm excited about.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, did I hear applause after Austin's opening comments were people clapping?
Speaker 10: Correct?
Speaker 6: I think there was like a some sort of like a Friends of the Jazz or maybe some sort of gallery I've been Unless that was Tony Jones and co, I.
Speaker 1: Would Tony's just given him, just giving him, like the Arsenio Hall. I've been listening in NBA press conferences for thirty years, if now more. I don't know that I've ever heard applause after. I don't know that's an It was a little.
Speaker 6: Weird Alex Jensen like intro that was like a presser in an event like that. Stuff like that for sure. But yeah, I thought the jazz thing was the immediate event.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, there uh ESPN seven under sports dot Com. If you missed any of Austin Age's comments or Danny Ainge's comments, excuse me, h Ryan Smith, Danny Ainge not available. Justin Zanik not available. Penny for Justin Xanix's thoughts is all I'm gonna say.
Speaker 2: All right, really pumped for tonight.
Speaker 1: Game seven, Knicks, Pacers, Madison, Square Garden who wait.
Speaker 5: In some reality?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know what man like not like not like it went down, you know, like not don't lay an egg with an elimination game in front of you, where in a building we know you can win in we've already seen it and the team that look, you just have to give it to the Pacers.
Speaker 2: They were a better They deserve to march on. I don't know what.
Speaker 1: I don't know what the Knicks do, because I do think it's a good group and they're signed. I think Kat's eligible or no, Michael's eligible for an extension. I know he's taking a lot of heat. But with how desolate it's been there for so long, I think I think it was fun.
Speaker 2: I just didn't. I did not love the way they went out. I thought it was very disappointing.
Speaker 6: Now the way the way the way they went out was ugly in the basketball Number one, the sloppiness they played with the comeback loss. Right, Obviously, it was cool they did it on the flip side against the Boston Celtics, But when you go out the way they did it always going to leave a bitter taste in your mouth, and for me especially, it hurts a little more when I, you know, I look at the NBA, look at the landscape of the league, and while I think that OKAYC is going to be here for the next decade. This was maybe the most open opportunity for a like a non dynasty, non you know, a team that doesn't have this big championship window. This was maybe the best year for one of those teams to sneak in and win one that we've seen in a long time. And you know, you know, when when do you get another opportunity where the East Coast's best team has their star go down where you know you I don't want to say back into the Eastern Conference Finals, but man, without a lot of the things that went down, the Knicks aren't in the Eastern Conference Finals, and they had a real opportunity spence fully healthy twenty point lead in Game one of the ECF, and uh, well, now we sit here.
Speaker 1: And you know there's a reason why after Game one I cracked the mic and the first thing I said about that game was that's.
Speaker 2: Really hard to come back from.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that game one loss was not a close battle where it could have gone either way. You had that so in your back pocket. And when you lose a game where it's a soul crushing defeat, I mean, losing home court is one thing, but these two teams are both really good on the road, so I wasn't necessarily like, oh, they lost home court. I was like, wow, because the Jalen Brunson will be eighty five years old and he'll be trying to sleep one night and they'll be like, dude, Game one, Eastern Conference Finals, twenty twenty five. Yeah, you know that's not a loss that you shake off easily.
Speaker 6: I think I mentioned it the night after, right I And I actually mentioned it the night after the nixt one Game one against the Celtics. If you recall, I said, I, you know, Spence, I think we won the series based on how we beat Boston in that game, in that comeback, and I also mentioned that day.
Speaker 5: Cleveland in the in the finals.
Speaker 6: Right, you go back to what twenty fourteen, twenty and twenty seventeen, Actually j R. Smith forgets that they missed a free throw, and you know, Lebron has a fifty whatever point triple double and they lose because Smith just forgets time to score. Situation, and the way they lost that game, I thought they lost the series. Those three game one moments to me stand out in situations where although you never take too much stock in one of game sevens or one of a seven game series. Those three situations stand out to me where I thought to my head, oh, they just lost the series.
Speaker 2: And they did yep. Yeah, it's tough. It's tough.
Speaker 1: So big news of the day today, Austin Ange has been hired as the new president of basketball Operations for the Utah Jazz. If you missed Austin's press conference, where he received a standing ovation after his intro, you can go to ESPN seven hundred sports dot com. Stanley Cup Finals begins on Wednesday. NBA Finals begin on Thursday, and we are your home for both of those events in the market here on ESPN seven hundred. All right, Porter, what comes our way? On a Tuesday edition of the radio show.
Speaker 6: On a Tuesday edition of The Drive, we will of course recap the Austin Age press or, the debut of the new Jazz president of basketball operations, and talk some NBA finals with Tim McMahon for the NBA Daily Assist on the Jazz side, Sarah Todd stops by the program fresh off a good old long sabbatical. Dave Fox stops by on a Tuesday and talking tomorrow as well as well as that's been not great.
Speaker 1: Ooh ooh, not great, Bob, not great. Hopefully they can turn it around. All right, we'll say goodnight special thank you today, Kyle Bonnagura, Tom Haberstrow and the great Richard Smith for any of the saund you may have missed from the show today. ESPN seven hundred Sports dot Com is your home for that. Also, downloader mobile app ticus on the go so I listen to our astation. ESPN seven hundred app is available App Store, Google play Store for free. And then for what we do in our space, specifically for four hours every afternoon. It's all up digitally for your consumption and disposal with our podcast page. It's called The Drive with Spence. Check its that's available wherever you get your show. Subscribe, rate reviews, Sandi's things in the comments, give us all the stars.
Speaker 10: It helps.
Speaker 1: Reporter I'm spent saying tonight. Enjoy your Monday evening. We'll talk to you on a Tuesday edition of The Driving. It's always you can find it right here on ESPN seven hundred and ninety two ANDFM. We are proud to be part of Utah's ESPN Radio network.