Speaker 1: To Bail to Bail is here four finger Discount.
Speaker 2: Dude, welcome to four figure Discount where we are doing our June mail bag. I'm gonna be answering your questions and discussing some Simpsons news and just some what's been happening here at four finger Discount.
Speaker 1: I am down it and iron guy. Nice to be here. Nice to be digging deep into that mail bag. Big mail bag this month. It's pretty heavy. Someone say, too big, it's a little heavy. We're got to read everything. Let's find out.
Speaker 2: Let's find out. Yeah, how are you doing, sir?
Speaker 1: I'm good? A little chili.
Speaker 2: You mentioned last week actually that you were getting your udi? Did it arrive? And do you appreciate it?
Speaker 1: And a you do? You wish you got it sooner? Yes on all counts, Yes, this is correct. As I may have said, the algorithm was listening. I was saying, yeah, I won't did the whole thing. You do it. It's cold in here, must be some toros in the atmosphere. I feel much better now, Okay say the line, But yes, sir, the algorithm was clearly this thing. Yeah, ads were coming up. Have you considered an udie which I hadn't really, I thought, do I want to be walking around like home with the moo moo on, except you know, a warmer version. But a lot of the kids have got them. You've got plenty. I low balled Dan though. We were talking about Udi's the other day and he said, how many do you think this was on the podcast last week?
Speaker 2: Well? Yeah, okay, okay, I thought you were saying that. Let the listas know we had this conversation off air. That's what I thought you were employing. Oh no, no, no, but you gave me seven. I was like seven, Have you met me?
Speaker 1: But now I understand completely because I got home. It's a nice, chunky package waiting for me at the front door. Open it up. It's a dooner you can wear now. You were asking me, did I get a patent? One? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Did you get what pattern?
Speaker 1: Did you get? I think? Have you seen me? I'm a fairly dull individual.
Speaker 2: If I could find a north face Udi, would you want it for your birthday?
Speaker 1: Oh? My god, I'm a monogamous kind of fella. So I've got my one, Udi? Do you think I should have more than one? I'm asking to have at least two. So when one goes in the wash.
Speaker 2: Because one goes in the wash takes a while to dry because they're thick and sounds correct, you go have the backup, the backup, Woodie.
Speaker 1: It's not a bad idea. Okay, well you can find a north face one. No, no, don't, don't spend your money on me there. But who arrived? Oh? This feels like it's got some heft to it. Rip it open, no pattern, just straight, sort of elegant slate gray in the Guy David style. Slip it on, where have you been on my life? So it was the third best embrace I ever had, after my loving mother, Margaret, Mary, the Lovely Louise and now Udi?
Speaker 2: Have you worn it yet with nothing else on underneath? Oh?
Speaker 1: My god? Is that an option?
Speaker 2: It's the best wake up for in the morning. You're nude, wake your udy on. It covers you down to your knees.
Speaker 1: You're fine.
Speaker 2: Just sounds decadent, it's so good. It's basically walking around nw but you're warm, m so good. Do it nude, Woodie wearing it's the way to go during winter. It sounds vaguely except when you're sitting on the couch. Make sure that no one's in front of you because your balls are just out.
Speaker 1: But you're basic instinct to up the place. But that has arrived slipped. Oh yeah, I'm very very happy about that. I've taken.
Speaker 2: I've got a backup Homer mumu Woody. I'm considering maybe a good TV birthday.
Speaker 1: Well it's taking the a jopp here. So yeah, that's certainly just one good thing that's happened in the world. Yes, that's good. How about you? What's going on? What has been.
Speaker 2: Going on since last week. I'm just in a good place at the moment. I'm just happy, you know. I think I know why I'm so happy today because Nicola looked Rootto last night for dinner. That'll always help, always helps, indeed, and the kids were I mean, I love having the kids here, but sometimes it's like Nicholas looking Rosotto. I'm sitting there watching Simpsons or whatever, and the world's at peace, the house is quiet, no cash.
Speaker 1: It on the floor. Oh and Jewish, we should tell them.
Speaker 2: What happened yesterday. So you were like, should I close this door? And I was like, yes, please, And because the cats here are so naughty unless you close that door properly, like properly close, they're going to break in. So guys closed the door, but it must have been like slightly opened, a skew like I was honestly of the like, yeah, but it must have just whatever, whatever happened. Maybe they open the door themselves. Who knows. But guy walks out the door, he say see you tomorrow or whatever. And then within thirty seven it was literally within thirty seconds, I'm in the kitchen having drinker of water. Out here bang crash bang bang bang bang. It was like three or four bangs, five bangs. I thought, oh shit, I thought something'd fallen down in the garage. All pass and I see my doors open. My heart starts racing on going, Oh my god. Those lights, those lights that were standing there, now I can see that they're on their side. I can see that water bottle that was on my desk, it's no longer on the desk where it once was. I'm like, oh no, so walk in here. The ginger cat's sitting on the table like I didn't do it. And there's microphones on the floor, spillboater everywhere, hard drives hanging off the bench, lights everywhere. One camera's leaning against the wall, here, nothing broke. Even if it did break, what are you gonna do?
Speaker 1: What do you know? But here's the thing. These are small cats. There are big cats. These are pretty much kittens. You should still you should hit.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I was slightly scared the other night in bed. I mean I say scared. I wasn't scared scared, but I was a little bit, right, a little bit nervous. I'm laying your bed and we locked the cats out. We got the cats out of the bedroom. Now it's just like, no, you guys, stay out there. Your trees. You got everything in here, as in like cat trees, that kind of stuff to sleep right your beds. You have plenty of beds to sleep in, all the kids beds. And then we locked them out, and the ginger one is just charging at the door, just with his head.
Speaker 1: I'll do that.
Speaker 2: This is literally like being in a horror movie, like the Shining. They're reaching under the door, all three paws reaching under ship, all three doors. Okay, you may have caught this on video. We may have, just you didn't see the bottle. But here's the thing. I think cats might be innocent. Dan nearly knocked the water bottle over himself, and it's if he could knock it over with his mighty fists. They're doing it vicariously. Three because I'm talking about them anyway, It was that it was a visual. I look up, right, I get my torch on my phone, look up towards the door. There's just these three paws just under the door, and one of them is like boom into it, and I'm like, leave me alone. But yeah, it's so three cats based all go away.
Speaker 1: I did this video essay recently for Oh sorry, actually I written essay this one for our friends and Umbrella Entertainment. They are our friends, they are indeed our friends about well, it's for a movie called Black Sheep, which is a horror movie about killer sheep. Yeah, so I wrote this essay about unusual animal attack movie because you know, we're all used to sharks and grizzlies and you know, incredibly sized snakes and all this kind of business. But yeah, for a while, there's a rash of horror movies that had like cats in them, and you think, but like the tweet says, cats are perpetually pissed off because their nature's perfect killing machine. But they weighed eight pounds and we can keep picking them up and kissing them. So it's like, how threatening can cats be? Even though if you've been scratched by cat's like, oh god, damn man.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I remember once the cat was scared by the vacuum went to touch it and she I had like twelve cuts in my hands within that space of five seconds.
Speaker 1: It was just it was just done. Oh yeah, it's like fighting wolverine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she was just gone and it was just blood everywhere I was, my hand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, I was Actually I was surprisingly able to devote a large section of the piece to Yeah, don't mess with cats. They are actual horror movie villains. And now you've discovered this.
Speaker 2: Yes, but so this month here and forthing a Disco, what have we covered? We have covered any teeny mi mo. We did a classic review of Kate Krusty, as voted by the patrons, and we also reviewed The Good, the Sad, and the Drugly both those season twenty episodes. I'm gonna say good episodes on season twenty levels seasons.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely, yeah. I mean we were I think quite surprised, won't we. I mean we're not we were expecting. Oh no, we're in the weeds now. Yeah, but these were solid on a structural levels, like oh yeah, this is yeah, got a good idea and executed pretty well. But more than that, it had a lot of gags. And it's like, if you take this out of a season twenty and you're excerted it like a season eight, yeah, you wouldn't exactly be out of place.
Speaker 2: I think we're talking about the John Adams John Adams, Yeah, the mini series John Adams about the He wasn't a president, was he.
Speaker 1: I think he was one of the founding farst.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, yeah, me Toomas Jeff Jefferson. He was hanging with those guys. But yeah, but those gigs worked. I think overall, so far of season twenty, I don't think we've hit an era where there's been say, three or four really shitty episodes in a row.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think we've hit that many rough patches. And maybe we're just being extreme for the ptimistic. Yeah, maybe we've got our rose colored glasses on.
Speaker 2: But I mean, if you're going to compare them to the originals, like the Golden Era, yes they're not going to be as good, but you've got to compare them for the ear in which they will release that it's correct.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And you know, we're not especially negative people here at the Full Finger disc and Network. We're kind of optimists. We like to err on the side of posital have to be you have to be oh, yes, that's correct. So but no, I think I think we have both been pretty pleased, certainly the quality of any teeny mamo and yeah, the good the sound and the drug ly. Yeah, they had their ifty parts and they had their parts. Just come to expect that.
Speaker 2: Now season twenty, I think, I think what I'm watching these episodes Now, I go in with we always have no expectations, but I just go in just expecting it to not be the best and just try and find some sort of positivity. By the end of it, I'm like, it wasn't so bad.
Speaker 1: Was it? No, it's interesting, We're going to be We are a lot of good questions in the mailbag. Yeah, and there's one of them that sort of semi addresses this. I'll talk about it when we get to that. But just to reiterate, season twenty, not so bad, so bad so far.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but next month from season twenty, we shall be reviewing Father nos worst and Waverley Hills nine oh two. One'm sure you're a fan.
Speaker 1: Of that art. Oh. Absolutely, it's already a five star classic based on that time alone.
Speaker 2: And the the poll is now up in the Patreon group, so if you want to be a part of the pole, you're gonna be supporting us on Patreon. And the vote is the themous party for the classic review this month. And we've gone with the Boy who Knew Too Much because Freddie Quimby is celebrating his party there with that chowder. And we have Old Money as well because Grandpa missus Bee's birthday.
Speaker 1: Indeed, now then I were talking about this and I think he slapped Old Money in there as a year. Yeah, it's a bit of a treat to yours, truly, because it is an episode that I really really love. It closes out one of my favorite lines or favorite sentiments. Absolutely. Having said that, listeners, if you haven't voted in the pole yet, do me a favor and the quende, because look, it'd be too sad otherwise if we were talking about Old Money, I would just end up like it's so good and no one wants to hear half an hour to forty five minutes of just a middle aged man going, we want to hear way just coming for resolved, think that he's on me please the pun chast bes but and yeah, of course you just want to hear Daniel and I'm just saying shower.
Speaker 2: Yes, and that's also good them yeah yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: And the classes that I'm sort of wearing right now. What is it? The free reallly squash of the kid. Oh, what a mess. We'll talk about all this stuff when we hope you hopefully talk about the Boy who Knew too much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And on Patreon we shall be doing exclusive well speaking of the Hills returning next month like the actual King of the Hills returney, so speaking, the Hill shall be returning on Patreon next month as well.
Speaker 1: And we'll be doing our Towers of the.
Speaker 2: Future on of course, currently doing Bob's Burgers in Future Arma on podcast so on patreons. If you want to check those out, you can do so by supporting us on patrear.
Speaker 1: Is.
Speaker 2: It has cost time for the monthly shoutouts of our beloved Stonecutters here at the Forefinger discat Network. We're going to start with the lovely lady herself, Miss Katy G with her one hundred dollars support. Thank you so much, Katie. Of course, we also need to give shout outs to Glen Gomez, Justin Parker, Zach Pruitt, Shanny Macker, Elliott j O'Neil, Isabella Murphy, Rach Beasley, Stephen Roberts, Sean Dvi, Pete Anderson, Timothy Burlson, Andrew Davis, Kevin Dental Planned, Flood, Bello Windebank, Jack McFadden, Heath Applebee, Adrian McLeod, marchra Leven Ginger and Pickle Preston, Murray, Talia, Enriquez, Declan Phoenix, Brian McCoy, Logan b James Shepard, Joe Readin Sac, Dave Pretzels McNally, Gavin Lang, Danmi Miller and Charlie Joe. Of course, you waded to get shares to the following people who also joined the fourth Finger discomt family another the five Dollars or the eight dollar Tea in June, Ray Dude, Jada Meeks, Mea Raimie, James Dunn, Andrew Pemberton, Emily Marie, Jonathan Ludwig, Carson Schuck, Benjamin jaff Updwars and Swings eighty three. Thank you all for being supporters of the fourth Finger discount family on Patreon. Lit'sten into some mail bag questions Shallby I couldn't really find much Simpson's news. There were some interviews with like Matt sal when they went to some sort of convention and whatnot. They're talking about how it's gonna be seventeen episodes each season now are going forward. I think we're pretty much touched on that last month and things like that. So we'll just get into some mailbag questions. This one he comes from Brandon Twitch. He says, let's say the Simpsons do an episode all about podcasting, which I already have. I'm pretty sure it's called podcast news.
Speaker 1: Well, it sounds like that would be a bad podcast.
Speaker 2: And you and Guy are brought on for a cameo role. What would you want your roles to be? Well, I don't think we'd play fictional characters. Do you think do you think we'd play ourselves? I think we should, but I think it'd be a bit of a heel turn. And it's revealed that I'm actually like a really nasty, bad boss who's always sort of like cracking the whip on you, even though it appears that one of us doesn't actually exist, it's actually an AI bot.
Speaker 1: Well that's a good point. Yeah, but how do you know. I'm not. I've been watching too many of those videos and listen to too many of those podcasts with the whole prompt theory nonsense and everything like that. We're just laboring under this mass illusion the moment brains are getting rewired. It's very weird, very weird time to be alive. But yeah, I think it'd be good if I.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, let's look at podcast news and see what the story was. Don I'm pretty sure I've saw the title podcast News. I haven't watched it yet. You think I would have, wouldn't You would think so, But you gotta on your plate Podcast News, Yes not. Season thirty two, Episode six, Margin Lisa get addicted to True Crime podcast. Grandpa's accused of a crime camp. Brockman questions his career. So margin Lesa get did it to true crime podcast? Because everyone's added the True crime podcast?
Speaker 1: Yeah, thirty two, So, oh my goodness, how long there were that? That was?
Speaker 2: That's four seasons ago, four years ago. Now, isn't that in the same season thirty two? You think it's now? No, it's four years ago.
Speaker 1: What. Yeah, I'm trying to remember. Do you remember or have you heard of the podcast Cereal?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean remember that was huge, and that's sort of I don't think it kicked off the true crime podcast thing, but it really was kind of an apex for it when it was like, hey, everyone's like me, Hey, have you heard about Cereal? Yeah? Loop, So actually I think Cereal's probably before that, but yeah, since it's sort of maybe a little bit late to.
Speaker 2: That way without just capitalizing on the fact that everyone listened to True crime pot.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it sounds nice that that maybe Grandpa's folded into that. And of course Ken Brockton like, okay, that's just then I'm out of a job.
Speaker 2: Us feel like Forming a discount in the Simpsons universe could actually be a crime podcast because it's about stealing. Because we're just folling a discount's about stealing things. Well, that's great, that's what it's named for. So it could literally be a true crime podcast. Forming a discount in the Simpsons universe.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've rock into town and we're investigating the crime nature of Springfield. Yeah, okay, they not bad either. That or we replace Bill and Marty or you know it's a steel cage in the radio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like radio has got a future.
Speaker 1: This is growth industry.
Speaker 2: But thank you for the question of Brandon. By the way, guys, if you do want to get in touch for next month's mail bag, it's just mail bag at fourfing a discount dot com dot au. Next one hears from Mark Mason. Mark says, should the Simpsons have ended at its peak, say around season ten? And do you think the show's legacy would be any different if it did? Do you think the Simpsons if it ended in season at season ten, like nineteen ninety eight, would we look back more fondly on the show? Would people widespread look back on the show more finally? Because it feels like now the consensus is just let it die. Just let it die, right. I get that that can be your opinion. I don't agree with that because your opinion, that's fine. Would the show's legacy be different? Let's compare it to Seinfeld. If Seinfeld won't say five more seasons, do you think people will look back on Siinefeld as funny as they do? I think Seinfeld was a genius to get out when they're on top. It's a shame we didn't get more Seinfeld, but it was for the right reasons.
Speaker 1: I think. So. Yeah, I mean, I think Jerry is definitely on the record as saying, yeah, we'd rather go out on top. We'd rather go out with some juice in the tank number one show than just drain it dry, you know, maybe run a little low on inspiration or whatever. And the thing of it is, you know, then you can take that cachet and cloud that you've got going out on top of the champ and start doing other things. If you're Jerry, well, you know, you do what you do. You want, movie, you do me, movie, all that Unfrosted movie, which I still have yet to watch.
Speaker 2: I'm watching it, neither of Oh yeah, but that's just the nature of things. I have so many films, right, I'm gonna think I enjoy that, I'll watch it, and I never do. Yeah, it just keeps it. They you're throwing new stuff at us, that's true. Yeah, but he has the driving driving around this porsch with like Eddie Murphy and other comedians and things like that.
Speaker 1: But also you get curb. Yes, yeah, so here's what I was thinking. This is what I was talking about earlier when talking about the end of the world, the end of the world and all that kind of stuff. I want to do. If we'd say it ended at season ten, the Simpsons that ended at season ten, we would probably be picking knits about the episodes that already exists, because episodes we now consider untouchable. It's like, Okay, well, this is all we've got to work with. This is all we've got to compare it to. Within its own little ecosystem, We're probably like, oh, you know what, everyone says, that's really funny. I'm not sure if it is, and then you it doesn't work the these reasons, I think it will still be quite well regarded. But I think you'd probably be looking at those ten episodes and you'd be concentrating more on them as opposed to like, this season of episode nine is fantastic, especially compared to that episode from season twenty nine.
Speaker 2: So I think the Simpsons would as great as The Simpsons is, as pivotal on and as huge as The Simpsons was in the nineties. I'm going to throw it out there and say if The Simpsons ended up the season ten, it would be almost forgotten in twenty twenty five, it would be that show that your parents watched when they were kids to kids to kids these days, because the Simpsons has gone on right our era of the show, it's almost like the Star Wars trilogies. Right, our ear of the show was the nineties when we were growing up. Kids who were born in the late late nineties or early two thousands, their era is the team year.
Speaker 1: That's correct.
Speaker 2: They grew up on those ones. They like those ones. I've seen it in threads on Facebook. I know these are my favorite. These the ones I watched when I was a kid. There are kids who were born during the twenties seasons. That's their episodes. Sure, the show has evolved over time, and that's very, very important. But because it's evolved, it's not the show that we grew up with anymore, which means, oh, it's not as good anymore. That's not the mentality, don't They've evolved with the times. So I now put the Simpsons off of the kids they genuinely want to watch the new episodes. Of course, a lot of it comes down probably the way it looks as well, because the old ones look hand drawn and whatnot. But I just think that the modern episodes are more tailored humor wise for kids of today. They wash the old ones, and I don't know whether the attention spans are different or anything, but they get that, they get the references where the references in the more modern episodes of The Simpsons are more up to date at least anyway. They wash the old ones and the kids they're like, oh, yeah, it's funny because it's just wacky cartoons, but they don't quite get it. They watched the new episodes and they seem to understand the stories more. So I think it was It's great that The Simpsons has gone on because it means that kids now can enjoy and they've got this huge back catalog to go and back and enjoy as well. Because if I said to the kid, the kids now only watch this old show, it would just be seen as this old show because they can see modern version of it is while they can go, oh, it's not just this old show. It was once older, but it's got newer. That makes any sense?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, absolutely. How many times I've quoted that piece from the Onion, you know, the satirical newspaper, where it's yeah, basically parents, raise a child on pop culture that makes child absolutely out of touch with the modern world.
Speaker 2: That's what happens.
Speaker 1: To Listen, talking heads listen to the sex pistles, all the kinds up. It's great, it's great, it's great, and they'll be like, yeah, but I've got stuff that my generation listens to right now. Speaks too much. Yeah yeah, so yeah, means by means trying to inform them. Both have both, of course, but no, the Star Wars analogy is very, very correct. You've got to sort of evolve with the times. And even if the purists who were there for like, oh, we were there for Ground zero, man, we were there with the premiere episode of The Simpsons or the release in seventy seven of the original Star Wars. That's nice, that's great, that's fantastic. You know, buildings, things are built on foundations, but you know there's also new levels, new story.
Speaker 2: Be thankful that you were there for that and you've got that sort of that nostalgia for that era. Right, But don't say that I can't enjoy the modern ear because you don't.
Speaker 1: That's correct, And as we always say about certain things, if you don't like it, don't watch it. Don't watch it. Yeah, yeah, but don't deprive anyone else from it from watching it. And yeah, maybe don't even be like the kind of goose who says, oh this sucks. I mean, even if you think it does. But maybe just generally just hey, if you like this, you might also like that. That has been one of the guiding principles that I've always had in being a critic, being a reviewer, being a being a writer. If you like this, you might also enjoy this. Yeah, that's a I think that's a great way to be.
Speaker 2: And so I just don't think kids would enjoy the Simpsons as much if it was just this old hand drawn cartoon because they can see that it's more modern now. They're more willing to go back to the old ones as well.
Speaker 1: Oh very much. So. Yeah, and I think you're going to if that was the case of there was only ten seasons, you're going to get a very select fan base unless you were there. Yeah, and I'm talking about sort of current generation.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, unless their parents are enforcing it on them, who would be like.
Speaker 1: You know, what's good old stuff? You know, old things were better back then. And I'm not sure how many kids think that way. How many young people think that way. But you get a little not older, but say late teens, early twenties, and you're like, maybe I should check out the influences and the inspirations of the stuff that I like now, because you know it might it might speak to me in a different way.
Speaker 2: Four figure discount is brought to you by our incredible supporters on Patreon. With your support, we're able to hire editors, purchase new equipment, and everything else that goes into producing top quality shows. Each and every week. Our supporters get early in add free access to every show, new episodes of Tales of Futurama, Talking sci Fild, and Speaking of the Heel each month, as well as access to exclusive Facebook and Discord communities. So go ahead and support the show today for as little as just one dollar at patreon dot com slash four figure discount. Well, I found being a parents really helped me learn and understand that modern stuff is okay. There is some stuff that's crap, right, But I see the kids, right, and there is this song the like it's like apt it's called that.
Speaker 1: It's like I took me.
Speaker 2: They kept singing it to me, and I'm like, I don't know what that's called, Like it's called ata and I'm like, I'm looking for it.
Speaker 1: I can't find it's apt and the I'm sorry, I can't remember that it's Lisa or.
Speaker 2: I eventually found and I'm watching some I'm like, this is utter rotby, you know what. All these kids love it, and just because I don't enjoy it doesn't mean it's not good. It's what these kids like. I'm sure I listened to music when I was a kid that my parents thought was absolute garbage. But to me, it's like the greatest thing ever. Oh yeah, it's just the circle of life, mate, it really is. And I'm learning to just go, don't be grumpy old Dando because it's not nineteen ninety seven music anymore, you know, just it's okay.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, absolutely. One of the lawyss is I think I think Audrey was saying, we heard that in the background somewhere upper tap up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like, ah, but holy but what the hell are you saying? Or you saying appetite? What are you saying?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Dirty looks like it's catchy as hell. It really is, Oh yeah it is, yeah, but it almost feels like and it feels weird to say this, because I'm sure all pop songs songs are designed this way, but it's like, oh my god, this is so catchy. I can't stop listening to it, even if I really I can't hate it. But at the same time, I can't stop listening to it because yeah, I had it in my head the other day as well, and I'm like, I gotta look this up, but I don't know exactly what it is either. It was like and finally found it, and then I listened to it like three times in a row. It's like, I know I don't like this, but I can't stop listening to it. Why is that the case?
Speaker 2: Where's that There's that song that's like please stay, I want you, I need you, Oh god damn.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: I heard that and I was like, wow, I'm like, is this catchy? But whatever, it's just a it's just a new song or whatever. And then they kids had this talent show on Monday at the school assembly and one of these kids sang that song, and the entire in school or every kid starts singing this song along with this girl, and I was like, there you go, music.
Speaker 1: I believe the song You're referring to is Beautiful Things by Benson Boone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm listening. I'm like, essentially, it's a good song.
Speaker 1: Actually I actually like it now, that one. I don't like seeing.
Speaker 2: All the kids singing it together. I was like, Ah, that's what he's exposed to do.
Speaker 1: But here's the thing, Yeah, there is probably a variation on that that's not that different from Beautiful Things that I was listening to back when I was a teenager or in my twenties or whatever. And who and Benson Moon probably listened to something like that and was inspired by it. And I'm like, yeah, but I like my version. I don't like your version. And because that his version is not for.
Speaker 2: Me, I'm just wasn't. Yeah, I'm learning to like new music through the kids, you know, because they get into the age now where that they're starting to discover pop music. It's not just they listen to what I put on the radio. I know, we hear songs at school when you put this one on please, or they go to a friend's house and they put the music on or whatever. So yeah, just getting old and realizing that new music ain't so bad.
Speaker 1: It's a good lesson.
Speaker 2: But thank you for the question mark, that was a good question.
Speaker 1: That was a good question. Howd us talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Samantha Leamy says, what are the most hated Simpsons episodes? I keep reading that the Lady Gaga episode is terrible, so I've never bothered to watch it. Do you have any others that come to mind? So I know to avoid them. It's funny because I saw Yardley Smith recently shared a clip of her singing with Lady Gaga on Twitter. I've still get to watch the episode. I think we should do it as an exclusive from Patreona because I always hear it like that's the worst of the worst. I'm like, is it?
Speaker 1: Though?
Speaker 2: I think it just came at a time when people didn't like Lady Gaga. It was this she'd been was just in everything, right. I think everyone's come to appreciate Lady Gaga for It's like me with modern music. I'm just like, it was actually a really good performer, Lady Gaga.
Speaker 1: Oh goodness. It takes a little while, and yeah, there's probably some kind of formula or progression that we could draw up. I imagine it happens pretty similarly in a lot of ways. But it's like, oh, this person's being forced on me all the time. I'm here for Brina Carpenter. Yeah, I'm hearing nothing but their music, or I'm seeing nothing but them in my algorithm or on magazine covers. Remember magazines they had covered they were good too. Oh yeah, no, great, They're all I'm saying. I'm getting overexposed and I don't like it. And then maybe the yeah, the switch will flip, just the script will flip just a little bit, and it's like, as you said, you know, Ganga actually is pretty good. Yeah, I don't know when I'm specifically she's amazing. You know when I was a pretty good look pretty good. I think it was around the time of bad Romance. Look, you know what, actual banger got a bit of time for Lady Gaga. But initially you think, oh, she's just ripping off Madonna.
Speaker 2: Well, and then I felt she was just trying to be weird for se weird. That's what I felt like when I was a teenager. Oh sure, I'm like, you're just you're wearing dress with meat to a fucking to the Oscar nuvel whatever.
Speaker 1: And yeah, not we've come full circle. But it's like, okay, it's done for the next iteration of that, and it's probably Chapel Rowan or something like that. Oh, we were just ripping off those two words but together. I have no idea what you just said. No worry, Holly's going to start listening to her in any minute now. And you're, oh, okay, then I don't mind Chapel row On either. But yeah, she's the latest version of that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: But I just think that episode in particularly came out of time, and I think people might have been sick of her. Oh, so they instantly hated it, And I wonder if you go back and actually watch it, I'm just in treat. Is it a bad episode or you just didn't like Leady?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, And because everyone.
Speaker 2: Goes the Elon Musk episode is terrible one too. Is it a bad episode or you just don't want is in it?
Speaker 1: That's the thing. I mean, You've got this idea in your mind of like, well, Lisa's like this, you know, and she likes these kind of things, and she stands for these kinds of things, and for her to stand for Elon Musk, who Yeah, for a while, they were thinking this conception was different. The perception was defe like, yeah, look, he's a weirdo, but he's kind of, you know, an eccentric genius, and we like, our genius is to be a little bit eccentric. He's our weimy. He's a weirdo, but he's our wedder. And now we realize, oh, you know, he gets more and more popular, more and more a high profile. Oh that's a bit weird. Ah you're aligning and oh you kind of cringe, et cetera, et cetera. You know, everything from you're disturbingly and discussingly cringe to oh, you are helped bringing about the downfall of Western civilization. Yeah, it's just how does this relate to the episode of The Simpsons that he was a guest star on. How does that relate to the episode of Saturday Night Live where he was the guest host. Maybe let's do it in July.
Speaker 2: Let's review the Gargo episodes so we can come back to the mail back and give our thoughts. Well, we're gonna review for the Patreon, but we'll give our little teas thoughts on the on the mailbank next month.
Speaker 1: Fine, I'm happy.
Speaker 2: I'm genuinely intrigued to see whether it's a bad episode or night.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, I'm wondering if these most hated episodes they tend to be less about, Oh that episode doesn't work because that story is no good, or you're making home even more egregiously dumb ass than he has been in previous or insensitive or whatever. Or is it like they've cashed in or they've you know, they've sold out by getting so and so as a guest star, the popular star of the day, like they had the I'm not sure how well regarded or her well liked. The short when Billy met Lisa is the one with Billie Eilish.
Speaker 2: Either short, yeah, yeah, well, this is the thing we always again with kids, kids like the short kid's got short attentionspans.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we all do these days, but kids especially.
Speaker 2: That someone literally said to me. He says, they asked for these shorts because that's a good way of introducing kids to the show, and they work. And I'm like, you know what, now that you've explained that, it actually makes perfect sense. Sure, I watched it. I watched those shorts and I'm just like, there is nothing here. This is just the Simpsons are on the screen for a few minutes.
Speaker 1: That's all it is.
Speaker 2: There's no substance really at all, and the kids watch it and they're like, put it on again. I'm like that nothing happened, and I put it on again. Okay, But I'm like, you know what, I don't mind because the kids now like the Simpsons because of the short Oh sure, but the ones people seem to hate. They always go back to that ninety show, which we really enjoyed.
Speaker 1: Remember that ninety show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's people say that's the episode they turned off the Simpsons, and I go really, yeah, Now, maybe in the time it felt annoyed, but you go back fifteen years ago, now, when did it come out, like two thousand and three or five or whatever.
Speaker 1: I enjoyed it. Oh yeah, But what do I always say? I I always quote Bell from Raiders at the Lost Ark when he said, you look look at this. Watch what if a ten bucks from that go on the street. I'm going to take it out of the desert, bury it for a thousand years. You'll dig it up and it's like, oh my god, this is priceless. Ten years we'll look back at that nineties episode and going, guess what, actually not that bad? Whether that's you know, the influence of nostalgia. Maybe we just didn't appreciate what we had at the time.
Speaker 2: Who knows, but I will say, Samantha, please avoid Codependence Day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'm watch her since far. I love that.
Speaker 2: But yeah, Codependants stay. Yeah, I'm a drink driving. Put March behind the wheel and Bailey on her No, great, not good at all? All right, Tyson Bradford, what is your favorite Simpson's exterior shot. I've always been a fan of the supermarket with the trolley rolling out of the car park, which they continue to use for many seasons, despite it looking like the old animation style. I know what he's saying, so basically it would be like season eight and look like season two. It's used the same exterior shot. I've always said I'm a big fan of the Simpsons early morning Springfield, Springfield at night, or Springfield at dawn, Dawn in the morning, right, Yeah, dawn is the morning, so Springford at dawn where the suns are starting to rise, the alf Clausen's music queue. It's just it's peaceful, it's quiet.
Speaker 1: I've always really enjoyed that. Yeah, I was, I was really thinking about this, and honestly, I was drawing a blank. I'm really sorry, Tyson, this is a very good question. I mean, I really appre It's something I really appreciate about this since is how much texture and character it gives Springfield. I mean, yeah, maybe it's by virtue of the show having gone on for so long and it's been part of our lives for so long. It's like, this really feels familiar to me. I mean, you know, you sort of you have those exterior shots of as you said, Dawn, they're.
Speaker 2: Always the same or whatever for example, sort to interrupt, but like you said, familiarity there. So whenever they do the power plant, you hear the crow, little things like that, just oh yeah, it's the Simpsons. It's just little things that you just come to expect, and you know, sometimes you don't even notice of it. It's because but the fact that they're there, it makes you feel at home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a little emotional or cognitive triggers like yeah, absolutely. I mean again, forgive me, Tyson, nothing's really sort of leaping at it and he's like, oh, I love that one the most. But that overall sense of familiarity, the sense of place that the that everyone involved is helping to create, nurture and develop even further.
Speaker 2: The hospital and the church always give you the chance for a sign gag as well.
Speaker 1: That's that's a really great point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so the exterior shots are great. Stephanie Hudson. If you were a new kid at Springfield Elementary, who do you think would be your first friend?
Speaker 1: I personally think Millhouse is sort of like good entry level friend.
Speaker 2: He's the one that you would grab a towards. I think, yeah, yeah, And I think he.
Speaker 3: Would sort of gravitate towards you as well, because you wouldn't feel threatened by him, and you feel like he'd want to please you as well. That's right, So yeah, he's good sort of he's a good gateway drug to yeah, life in at Springfield Elementary.
Speaker 1: I think I think Ralph would be sort of like hard work.
Speaker 2: I think, yes, I'd want to be his friend, but after a while, I go, oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you'd want to You'd be the kind of hey, rap hate do on, buddy, I don't want to talk to you, but hey, you feel better about yourself.
Speaker 2: Do you think you'd be friends with Martin?
Speaker 1: Possibly? I hope this person is not listening to this podcast. I don't think they are. I went to school with someone who reminds me very much about prins not just in attitude but actually in looks. When I first saw Martin Brens, I'm like, that's redacted, but yeah, in terms of like they weren't necessarily sort of prissy, but they were a bit sort of verging on posh. And yeah, this person actually looks a bit like Martin Prince and I always liked this person. But at the same time, it's like, I don't know if i'd call you my mate. I mean, this is a person that I was at school with from soup to nuts, from the very beginning to the very end, from first day of school to graduation, and I would say that we actually are pretty quite friendly. Now. We're certainly friends on Facebook. We had a school reunion not long ago. We caught them and had like a really good talk. There's someone that I respect and admire for various reasons, but at the same time, not necessarily I don't I don't know if we're mates, but we're friendly, verging on friends, you know what I mean. That's who mart reminds me of.
Speaker 2: So yeah, you would piss on them if they're on fire, if that's an Australian saying. You might not get it.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 2: If not like someone I wouldn't even pis some off their on fire.
Speaker 1: I don't think that's necessarily just Australian. I think that's I think that might be worldwide. There probably are variations on the on the theme. But it's good. It's good saying, isn't it. Yeah? Who do you think?
Speaker 2: I've had Millhouse as well. I just think he's the obvious choice. Who besides Millhouse? Is there anyone else besides Millhouse? Is there a Millhouse esque kid at the school that you think you might gravitate towards?
Speaker 1: Don't really know enough about Wendell.
Speaker 2: For some reason, Wendell came to my mind as well. I feel like he'd be if we knew more about him.
Speaker 1: Maybe it'd be interested to draw up like a pyramid or a strata or something of like power rankings in the in the Springfield Elementary playground. I feel like I wouldn't be friends with Sherry and Terror. I think I've told you about you know, I went to school with basically Sherry and Terror as well, the twins who were kind of like, well, you're intimidating, you're evil. Yeah, and there's two of you. Yes, it's like it's like I mentioned the social networ would say, great life on the social network. Who's going to mess with me? I'm six two, you know, I rote crew and there's two of me. That's brilliant.
Speaker 2: I feel like Wendell's the kid who doesn't have many friends, right, so when you become friends with him to go to his house, his parents would just be like, please stay like that, will do whatever we can to make sure you stay. This kid's frankly, we wanted to have friends. We know he has a PlayStation, but he's yours.
Speaker 1: But you know, when Wendel comes over to your house, which is definitely going to do right, Yeah, you can play it. You can play it as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly. I think mister missus Wendall, so Gregory your son, I want to say so obviously, Bart versus Australia is great because it doesn't rely on guest stars. But we all know if they returned to Australia in a new episode that there would be plenty of guests. Name three Australian guests that you would approve in a Simpsons down Under sequel.
Speaker 1: I have thought about this, Okay, oft the times, I'm just willing it. It's got to be.
Speaker 2: It's got to be people who I think maybe all generations would know, and not just people at the time either. Okay, it's gonna have a long standing.
Speaker 1: Appeal. I think, well, I didn't know there was going to win me over. Tell me who you Well, I don't know if I'm gonna win you over. Now I'm playing a little fast and loose with the with the Gregory's Guard ones here, but it's going to.
Speaker 2: Be an episode in season thirty seven, so it's going to be Now.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think you should have all three hens Worth. So I think you should have Chris, Luke and Liam. I'd never know there was a Luke. He's on West World, he's in a few movies. Yeah, for a while, he was kind of like the other Hem's Worth, but he he did all right. But you'd have Chris, Liam and Luke, uh and think about Yeah. I think their voices are just slightly different enough that you can tell them apart. But the joke would be that you can't really tell them apart. I Lukensworth, Yeah, is he older? I think he might be the old Yeah, he looks, and I think he was the one who actually broke out first. Might have because I think he was on Neighbors now Australia's favorite long running soap opera that is now demised unfortunately, which one neighbors what's not Neighbors is done? He came back again? No, now it's gone again? What pretty sure they pulled the pin on Neighbors again again? Do some love googling? Oh, you're right.
Speaker 2: Cancel for a second time, as Amazon backs out just two years after it.
Speaker 1: Was even having o C star Mischa Barton come on board as a guest good and save it? Oh wow, But I think Luke was on that. But then Chris was on Home and Away, which is sort of like Neighbors deadly rival, And then you had Liam as well, and he's in the Hunger Games all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: There's three guest stars, but the hems weren't there as one year unity. I think you've got to have Tony Collette in there, you know, I have it.
Speaker 1: Remember how Tracy Ullman was the voice of the dog Trainer. Yeah, dun, yeah, I got the building. Tony Collette, who I think is an actor's actor, very distinct personality, but also like just a really powerful performer.
Speaker 2: Did she put on wait for Muriel's wedding or did she? Was she just bigger then? I think she put a bit on.
Speaker 1: Okay, yep, yes, I think it's such a depressing movie. Oh yeah, that's there. Everyone's like, oh, it's Abra and everything. It's like, that's pretty. She's got a really bleak life. That's pretty ill.
Speaker 2: Sister and the mum always put it down. No one ever has respect for it. It's on ends himself.
Speaker 1: And yeah, not good has a happy ish ending though it does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you're right, gets away from it all. Yeah, kind of grim.
Speaker 1: I think i'd have Tony Collett in there doing as we talked about with the good, the bad and the drug. How Anne Hathaway is on not necessarily like I Hi, it's Anne Hathaway, but giving a performance correct the habits were for the kids, I think, so yeah, collect feet, Yeah, Tony Collette is there to provide a bit of you know, heft and substances like, hey, we got a legitimate Oscar nominated actor here and here. And I say this with all due respect to his distinctive voice. I think you've got to have pm Elbow in there. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel I know that's going to date it, that it will date it, but I also feel like it's just too much like the British one. I get it, I get it, but I understand it. Yeah, I'm surprised you didn't say Hugh Jackman.
Speaker 1: He's kind of everywhere at the moment. Yeah, I guess.
Speaker 2: I think they would go Hugh Jackman over Collecte in my opinion, because it's just I'm thinking, if these guests, these gueststars are playing themselves. Oh okay, so it's not like we're getting someone to play a character. It's no, these guest roles up. In my opinion, the way he read it was which guests would they get on as Oh my god, it's so and so I don't think. Maybe Tony collect could do something with Lisa Hm. Maybe I feel like Lisa would respect Tony Collett. Maybe strong female lead.
Speaker 1: Possibly.
Speaker 2: I feel like you'd have to sneak Hugh Jackman in there somewhere. I know he's everywhere, but I feel you just have to because he's fucking he's Wolverine, that's true, and he's he's just he's you Jackman. You Jackman, the other Australian who's not an Australian musician here you can.
Speaker 1: Get in there. Well, that's the thing. I mean, it's been a while I think since Australia had a real breakout music star on the world stage.
Speaker 2: I'm sure with more study, I could more research, I could probably think of three struggles.
Speaker 1: Nicole Kidman, remember Wilson?
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe Yeah, who's like a younger Australian star though, Oh no, the chick.
Speaker 1: Harley Queen. What's her name? Oh, Margot Robbie. Okay, Robbie, she'd have to be in there. She's Barbie, that's true.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Anyway, what she would do, I'm not too sure. Maybe maybe she could help, Li said, who knows. I think Margot Robbie is only going to have it there right, a pretty high profile. I would have Margot Robbie over Tony Kalette personally, but I can I can completely appreciate Tony.
Speaker 1: Collett as well.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, I'd like the idea of the Three Hands with its brothers having something like feud or whatever, just like a caveo roll.
Speaker 1: I do like that. We'll have them as like the Australian version of Dolve Kearney and Jimbo. It could work and they all or you know, the Simpsons come to they go to Byron Bay where Hemsworth famously have this huge compound and like Bart wants to surf or something and it's like no locals only like that. All right.
Speaker 2: Next question here comes from Mikey Jarremenko. What a name, Mikey Jarremenko, what is your favorite side show Bob scheme?
Speaker 1: I was like a a false marriage kind of deal. Okay, yeah, the yeah, what's it called a black widower? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'm kind of partial to that because he went, he went, He committed to that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he committed a bit. So, which is the art of any good good scam or good connor good scheme. Yeah, you've got to go all in one. Yeah, so Black Widow was a good one. I was always go back to the original him trying to it just made the most sense. It wasn't he wasn't like a wacky super villain trying to kill Bart whatever. Granted, this episode was the one that set off his hatred for Bart was when he framed Krusty for the robbery so that he could get Crusty show. That's oh yeah, yeah what set off side show Bob because he.
Speaker 2: Was Crusty's psychic, correct, Yeah, and he got he hated the fact that he was a psychic and he wanted to have the show to himself.
Speaker 1: Then he got his own show choices. It's good character stuff as well, and of course great casting and Kelsey Grammer he choose to fill at the end. Yeah, but you can.
Speaker 2: Directed by Brad Bird that episode, Oh no.
Speaker 1: Wonder it's good, my man, Brad. I love that guy. It's great. It's great across the board because I mean, yeah, Kelsey Gramer is such good casting that because he always plays that kind of like I'm a bit better than this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, even though he's like probably not have it. He's smarter, but is he better in the role?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: He has that that potential that.
Speaker 1: Comes across of like yeah, so degraded that I have to do this, but you know I must Daddy likes money. He does like money. Indeed, Yeah, that's a really good one. I mean, you're bringing me around to your way. I think a good question by Mikey.
Speaker 2: It was indeed, Yeah, we didn't mind the Italian Bobby that did be where he got out he got away. He had his own family and bar screwed it up on him.
Speaker 1: That's true. Yeah, that Italian lifestyle. Yeah, not a way to go.
Speaker 2: Four figure discount is brought to you by our incredible supporters on Patreon. With your we're able to hire editors, purchase new equipment, and everything else that goes into producing top quality shows. Each and every week, our supporters get early in ad free access to every show, new episodes of Tales of Futurama, Talking Side Fild and Speaking of the Heel each month, as well as access to exclusive Facebook and Discord communities. So go ahead and support the show today for as little as just one dollar at patreon dot com slash four finger discount. Jesse Stewart do you think Lisa would have benefited from having her own best friend like Millhouse? It seems she likes to be the lone wolf with her campaigns, but still I always felt sorry for her when I was a kid, since she never seemed to be visited by any of her friends.
Speaker 1: Much at all. Yeah, I was thinking about this and how it would change your character. I think I think it would.
Speaker 2: You know, she's always it's always it's Lisa against the world, and it's hard to do it if you've got a buddy, yeah.
Speaker 1: Who's sort of backing up. But then yeah, there'll be episodes where you know, Lisa will be having like a slumber party or whatever. Yeah, and that's why they say much at all. She doesn't seem to be entirely friendless, but yeah, having a second manana or a straight man like Bart has Millhouse, Yeah, that's a whole different dynamic and kind of interesting and opens things up to certain storylines.
Speaker 2: And Saturday Morning at the Simpsons, there's always Bart's going to see what Millhouse is doing.
Speaker 1: Lisa's at home doing something.
Speaker 2: By its doing something, because when she has a slumber party and stuff like that. I do see Lisa as that kid at school who the kids picked on when it came to birthday parties, like, oh, we'll come to your birthday party. Yeah, yeah, we'll enjoy that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And we're not being picked on twenty four seven. It's not like, oh God, another day in the misery minds.
Speaker 2: They locked Lisa for, you know, when she wants to be vegetarian.
Speaker 1: I always remember that, but just like it's not you're picked on for who you are. More as like something.
Speaker 2: It's kind of more like what you do. Yeah, they're not just bullying her all the time.
Speaker 1: No, No, it's like, ah, you've done something that we find your appearance is carmical to me, and they pick on that as opposed to you only since and we hate you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so and now it's to guess what today is bullying day challenged. It would change the dynamic of her character. If she had a best friend, I think, I think so like a right hand man, right hand woman.
Speaker 1: But I think the way Lisa has been designed and probably been designed from the start, is that she's very self possessed. She doesn't need anybody, and she yeah, she doesn't need anybody, and you know, her friends are like her causes and that she picks up. I don't think she wants friends. I think she likes the idea of it all being about her because she we've seen her. She likes it being about Lisa, Yeah, whereas Bart is more like, yeah, I'm just going with the flow man, and you know, it's good to have someone to sort of like back me up all that I can sort of push around a little bit. But I don't think Lisa would kind of yeah, she wouldn't have the kind of friendship dynamic that say Barton Millhouse had, no because.
Speaker 2: That's the show evolved. Bar It wasn't the cool kid anymore at school. So I feel like bart keeps Millhouse, doesn't keep Millhouse around, but Millhouse balances him out because it makes him feel cool feels because Millhouse is such a dud, but he still likes House. Oh sure, yeah, yeah, yeah. As we just touched on in Goodness Out and the Drug, that's exactly right.
Speaker 1: I keep wanting to say the good the band, and the drug let very well done. Makers of the episode.
Speaker 2: Matt Kaye, if Mo were to ever leave Springfield, who do you think could replace him as the bartender? That's a good question. You could replace Moe as the bartender is someone that you wouldn't expect. I think it would be better. Let's just not go on with the barf lives or anything. It's someone you wouldn't expect Skinner. Skinner retires as principle and become.
Speaker 1: Or has to side hustle because teachers don't get paidhit in him. Yeah that's true, but I just yeah, how about how about Lindsay Nagel taking over Mo's and trying to rebrand it or try to gentrify it.
Speaker 2: That could work for an episode. Will that be working long term?
Speaker 1: Though? It could work for that could be a good episode story. Yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 2: Mo leaves town or he says I'm out of the business and Lindsay Nagel takes over Ruth Powers you know that. Oh yeah, she seems rough around the edge. She could do it, sure, Yeah, Sean, it's going to be someone who who can because the Moe doesn't really listen to advice. He's just sort of this grumpy bartender.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Do you think you'd have to go somewhere different, so someone who's not just going to be replacing Mo, but giving it a different vibe.
Speaker 1: Yeah. See, it's really tough to take an existing character who has their own specific role in the ecosystem of Springfield and turn them to something else. What you said before about when I suggested Lindsay good for an episode. Likewise a comic book guy good for an episode. He turns it into Miss Bartronic or something like that. But yeah, I can't see him doing that full time, and I think it would just upset the way things are in the show. I think you'd probably have to introduce a whole new bartender, but that's got its own degree of definitely, hasn't it. Yeah, it'd be. Here's the thing, here's the joy of The Simpsons being an animated series. Now, admittedly you're going to have to.
Speaker 2: Is it a way to bring back a Pooh because who's been written off the show?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: They've just written off the show, right? Because that I want to have him work in the quickie mark and the voice and whatnot. I think you could bring back a Poo as the bartender because then he's going to be there all the time.
Speaker 1: True. But the thing about I think every location on The Simpsons has its specific purpose. It does. And the bar, Yeah, the bar is very much life is suppressing. We've come here to get away from it. I think if you have someone who is vaguely positive or vaguely motivated or something like that behind the bar, going hey, guards is not the it was like the Cheers bar, it wouldn't be the same. Yeah, yeah, I think the I think the bar has to I think Mo's has to remain Moe's even if was not behind the bar. It has to be kind of like, oh, well, you know, work sucks I know quick, we've been copyright struck.
Speaker 2: Forster Jackson. This isn't a question, but I just wanted to see him Forester Forest Jackson, far as the Jackson. Just about to say that, I was just about to say exactly like.
Speaker 1: That, far As the Jackson.
Speaker 2: This isn't a question, but I just wanted to sing the praises of you guys for how much you how much love you give the character of Martin.
Speaker 1: I feel I feel he's.
Speaker 2: Underrated in terms of fan favoritism since literally literally every time Martin's on screen, it's always hilarious. Are there any other secondary characters you feel deserve more widespread love for us?
Speaker 1: That's a great question, and honestly, yeah, we given we be just talking about Martin a whole lot. Hopefully you're enjoying this episode of The Mailback. Ah, this is great, but oh but tough, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Side characters? I feel we're also also in an era here where side characters that don't get much love now get a lot of love because it's cool to like them. Sure, it's why Bob Effect got his own TV shown and now we don't love that, And we've discussed that in the Simpsons. When we know more about these one note characters, it ruins.
Speaker 1: The aura of them. I use the metaphor flavor balance a lot. Yeah, and all the spices. Yeah, and you got to be careful with what you sprinkle under the show. I mean, the Simpson family is the is the base of it. And yeah, if you have too much or too much Martin, too much, anyone's like, oh, what do we say before about getting sick of things when you get overexposed to them. So, yeah, you gotta be careful how you deploy certain characters.
Speaker 2: I think I think because of you, I have more love for the wise Guy. I think you've given the wise Guy extra love. He was always that guy, was just there. But I think you've maybe appreciate the character more so. I think I think the wise Guy would be good to answer that question, yeah, because you don't really hear people saying how great's the wise Guy character?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but then when you he rocks up and he's got a long he's there all the time. Yeah, anyway's using that voice, he's great.
Speaker 2: The writers must love him because you can put him in anyway.
Speaker 1: That's true. Yeah, plug and play, which is fantastic Forrest I'm sorry, we're not really answering that all there. Well, and maybe you're not answering the way you want it, because when you say deserve more widespread love, we're not. I don't think you're necessarily saying put them in every episode, but it's like, hey, you know who's good is such and such?
Speaker 2: When you hear favorite characters, favorite side characters is always like krusty pooh Mo, that kind of thing, Lenny, you don't really hear the Martin Prince. When we say not disparaging, we say the B team.
Speaker 1: But yeah, supporting characters, and I think you're thinking of someone characters who are a little more sort of cameo. I'm sorry we can't answer it, but we hope We've had a pretty stimulating discussion about the nature of these things here.
Speaker 2: I've scrolled down a bit. Shara Luise is down to bottom. Did you ever read the Simpsons or Futurama comic books? My dad used to buy them for me as a kid. I never did, but did you I certainly did now. I busted them out for the first time two days ago, just round this question came through. I just read to the kids, kids like, what can we read and I thought, you know, a kid, I'm gonna read you your first comic book. And I've can see you've got all the Spider Simpsons comics are They're all down at bottom there, who I've got most of them, right, And I'm reading this and I'm going, I just don't think Elliott like he's six years old. These comics, the Simpsons ones, the jokes go over his head. I think, if you're watching a show and it's just sort of being spoken to you and the things are moving around.
Speaker 1: Plus different line delivery, mine delivery, me just.
Speaker 2: Reading out the jokes, it was showing over his head. And I was like, I got like two pages and I went, let's get something, alse mate. I don't think comic books are quite there for you, or these ones anyway. I personally love the Simpsons comic books.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 2: But I look back now, I think I when I think of my childhood, right, I'll watch this when I was a kid, I just a kid. Yeah, but you were like ten or twelve, you know, Elliot's still six. Sure, I think I just equate him to being my age. I look like nineteenninety eight, I was watching the Simpson ninety eight. Yeah, you were ten, Brinon. He's six.
Speaker 1: He doesn't quite get these. There's a big difference.
Speaker 2: There is a big difference. Yeah, so I think in a couple of years he'll really like that. But he's still only six, he's nearly seven. Potential frauds call him. Shall I answer it?
Speaker 1: Absolutely? Let's go hello?
Speaker 2: Block?
Speaker 1: Was that an electronic nois?
Speaker 2: I do love that aspect now where they can tell you that it's fraud from the get go and you're just like, yeah, I'm not going to answer that block?
Speaker 1: Were you? The one who told me was like, you don't answer for like five seconds.
Speaker 2: I just said hello for the sake of this. But if it's every one of those don't speak for five seconds, they can't speak until you do. Most people answer the phone saying hello, yeah, and it's like, oh, that's.
Speaker 1: My cue to speak. That's the thing. If I don't recognize the number, then I'll just answer and dead air, dead air, dead air and hang up and we're like.
Speaker 2: The hack works. That's right, beat the system a matrix I am. I love the Simpsons comic books and now paled Dylan Haggart.
Speaker 1: He sent me some.
Speaker 2: Future on the comic books, once as well, So I appreciate that, Dylan think. But one of my favorite memories as kid was going to go into my great nand's house on a Wednesday and we'd walk up to the news agency because I don't even go there on a school holiday. So the Wednesday we go to great Lands, walk up the road to the Beraneva Road news agency, get myself a Simpsons comic book and a couple of packs of footy cards.
Speaker 1: Good times. Wow, sound great? That does sound great? Indeed?
Speaker 2: All right, another question here, Adam Young. When it was first created, the Symptoms was an edgy antidote to the established family sitcom genre. In the decades since, the show has outlived the genre it was parroting, and as so and so has changed over time. Do you think there's a show on TV now that is the same spirit, something that takes a jab at the modern sitcom formula. The only one that springs to mind for me is What We Do in the Shadows that takes the established modern style of a naturalistic fly in the world documentary but pushes it to the absurd by being about vampires.
Speaker 1: Never seen that show? Have you seen it? I've seen the movie and a lot of people who taste I respect are like, yeah, what we do in the Shadow is pretty good. I've yet to catch it, but the movie is actually pretty good.
Speaker 2: I can honestly say I don't watch enough modern TV to be able to answer this question.
Speaker 1: There is that in a lot of ways. I mean, yeah, the answer that I'm going to give might seem pretty dated, even though show was still going. It has been over quite some time. But I tend to think of like, it's always something in Philadelphia.
Speaker 2: That's what came to my mind. As one We've had Dost quest for us to do a podcast on that show. Apparently it's like Seifeld. Okay, I've never seen a single episode. I've only seen bits and Peace Goes Forever and I've seen a very long time. I never seen an episode of it, and I think it was initially designed, as anim was pointing out here, like the Simpsons were designeders like, Okay.
Speaker 1: So it's like Ozzie and Harry or leave it to Be, but those traditional family sitcoms where it's like where you're you gonna be, but I'm gonna go PENI Fits or something like that, it's always sunny, was sort of like the anti friends. Okay, I think I could be entirely mistaken here. So when did it start two thousand and six ish or two thousand and NINETI ish early two thousands, early to mid two thousands, maybe mean later, so always sunny. Two thousand and five.
Speaker 2: Wow, it was a long time ago and it's still going seventeen seasons. Yeah, crazy didn't go away for a while and then came.
Speaker 1: Back or something. That's a good question.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure because that's two thousand and five, seventeen years utter between twenty two, so there must have been a break, maybe during COVID or something quite possible. Yeah, but always Sonny. Yeah, I've had nothing of good things that My favorite meme gift is is Daddy to Be Gone?
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think it's very easily memorable as well. There's a lot of it's got the drawing on the board Chali dated with this sort of wall of weird or something. It's like, yeah, anytime conspiracy theories come up, like well just use Charlie Day. So yeah, I get the feeling that you're always on. It does a bit of twisting version to the point where and that's what it was initially designed. It's like, Oh, you're hanging out with your favorite friends and they've always got each other's back, and they'll always sort of they'll mess up, but they're generally doing the right thing.
Speaker 2: So is it is it a sitcom in the traditional sense or is it more like a modern family style.
Speaker 1: I think it's more. I think it sort of is the camera at all. No, I don't think there's sports wall breaking, but I think it's to the best of my understanding. But it's also shot in it's kind of rough and ready way, because I think they've made the pilot on like a fairly average kind of camcorder, okay, and just sort of relied on their comic chemistry, their comic chemistry as a group, their comic talents as individuals, and their willingness to yeah, just be highly inappropriate but funny with it and being sort of fearless in that regard. Friends is great, Got no problem with it. But it's also fairly stock standard in terms of like, here's a bunch of good looking people, they're well dressed, one of them occasionally have a crush on another or a long yeah whatever, Whereas this is kind of like what can we do the highly it's a bit South Parking in that regard. Yeah, the anti establishment. So yeah, that's what I would say.
Speaker 2: Okay, especially when it launched, it sound like it was the show that certainly, Yeah, I was a goot to say. And now it's been around long enough that it becomes much like South park Is is like, oh, well they've been doing this for this long, Well comes back because that's what they do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, kind of thing. Reece Roberts.
Speaker 2: Do you think there will ever be a King of the Hill movie or more crossovers with it being on Disney Plus, there'll be some sort of crossover think to sort of like a Simpsons short with King of the Hill.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but here's the thing. King of the Hill is so very much its own thing. It's on Hulu, isn't it. Yeah, you've got I'm sure talented people in all these Riders rooms and all these all these production stuff were like, yeah, we can find a way to merge these two together, you know, in an interesting synergistic way that will improve both shows or what's the word. I'm looking to promote both shows well without sunding too cheesy, But King of the Hill has such its own voice and its own style so different is it. Yeah, that to mash it up with the with the Simpsons or something like that.
Speaker 2: It was like, we didn't have that one crossover in Bart's Star where Bart plays football and they play the they play Aarlen's team and they beat them and it cust to hanging. So we drove two thousand miles for this or something like that.
Speaker 1: That works.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just a little bit, just a throwaway gag like that, but we're going to alm baby.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but having say Homer inter with Hank.
Speaker 2: Hill let us look so different as well. Yeah, it'll just be why are you yellow?
Speaker 1: We all enjoy a lovely PEB and Jay sandwich peanut butter and jam. This would be a PB and S sandwich peanut butter and sardines, which could work.
Speaker 2: Who knows that might be a taste, Ryan King, he's an old school question for Dando. I've literally been wondering this for years. What was the story of Mitch not knowing who trust McNeil is. I've listened to all of season one of the podcasts and haven't been able to find any reference of it happening. All I can find is you guys talking about that time Misch didn't know who she was I'm pretty sure we were doing the show and I just kept saying, trust mc neil, trust me neil, and then Mitch just goes, you need to and I think he just sort of said to me at the time, you need to explain to you to the listeners who trustmcneil is, because I won't get it. And I remember I looked and I went, wait, you don't know who trust mecniel.
Speaker 1: Is, and he went no.
Speaker 2: I was like, she fucking the voice actor. And I think we cut it out because Mitch was like, oh shit, so we just cut it out and then maybe we made reference to it, but the actual when he said who is trust McNeil was removed from all existence.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing.
Speaker 2: I mean, forgive someone for not knowing voice actor names because she's not there's not on the top of the poster.
Speaker 1: No, And I think when you I say this, with all due respect to trest McNeil, When I think of trust McNeil, I think The Simpsons. I don't think of her as like it's trust McNeil. I think of trust McNeil, that that actor on The Simpsons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you know, she's voice so she's one of the worst. She's she is the most iconic female voice actor of all.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, a terrific player in that regard.
Speaker 2: So but if I went up to I said this to Nicola, voice actors are incredible. But if you walked up to anyone in the street and said who is Tess McNeil, I reckon nine out of ten wouldn't have them. No idea you walked up and say who is Jim Cummings. I used to say when I was doing Jim Cummings, I do do the podcast at Jim Cummings, They go, who is the voice of Windy the pooh? Oh? Yeah?
Speaker 1: What did the pooh? They know the characters, sure, they don't know the people behind them, that's correct. So yeah, even someone like Marshall Wallace who has a long and had a long story career. Here, No, it doesn't necessarily ring a bell voice, mister k oh.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, she does that.
Speaker 1: So that's but that's that's the voice actors a lot in life. Most it's Billy West.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Billy West is like a living legend, you know, but he's run to still be you know, he's all these but oh he does those characters.
Speaker 1: Okay, you could say, who's Phil Lamar? Yeah, and you could maybe even really have a lot of voice Mark, but he's also you got shot in the face by John t. Voll Pop. Oh, okay, gotcha. Yeah, it's an interesting conundrum for a voice I mean, a good voice actor is going to work a lot and probably gonna work forever. Yea, yeah, but I forgive but give me not knowing who she was.
Speaker 2: But but that's the reason I think we removed it from it.
Speaker 1: It's a feeling you're doing like a Simpsons podcast. Though you have to be watching a few episodes of the Simpsons, and yeah, you would see the name Trest mc neil popping up all the t're sticking around for the credits.
Speaker 2: You should do at a tea. Do you find that, as a parent, when letting your little ones watch The Simpsons, that you tend to skip the Itch Scratchy cartoons. I've actually mentioned this. Obviously I watched them as a kid, but I look at them now and I just think, wow, this is really violent. Always skip ahead from my kids. I'm exactly the same. I put the sims for Holly and Elliott and if she has Scratchy, come on, and I go I don't think I'm happy for them to be watching this.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's pretty like the Itchy and Scratchy.
Speaker 2: Cartoons are really violent, and I understand that in a cartoon, right, that's the joke. I understand, But I don't think my four year old needs to be watching that kind of violence. And that's what the episode my age versus She Scratchy is all about. Sure, right, it's just it's just animated TV violence. Maybe it's just the world we live in now. But I go, I think I was put up Babies back on for you, Holly. I don't think you quite are ready for the Itchy and Scratchy cartoons yet. Okay, look the I put the Simpsons movie on and it starts with Itchy and Scratchy cartoon. And Holly's first thing was why is that cat cup heading the She she like shell She dwelled on it for a while, but why was he doing that? So I was just just for the it's just a joke for the movie, but why And that's all.
Speaker 1: She could just fixate it on it. No, Itching scratch is a pretty grown up gag. Yeah, and the nature of its being so yeah, gratuitously, disgustingly violent. Yeah, it's a pretty grown up gag. And but if you've got younger kids who are watching the Simpsons, yeah, I mean a middle maybe our nervings have burned out. Might not from you know, say, watching the original Itching Scratchy, Tom and Jerry, where they're always you know, combative and or like the road Run of the Road. You know, the thing is always getting blown up.
Speaker 2: But those cartoons don't have blood, which Scratchy has the blood.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So yeah, and that's and that's the gag with eaching scratches, like, well, what would this really be? Like, you know if they had these two cute animal buddies, buddies who were you know, constantly getting into scraps. Oh what if you took it to these strings? What if you took it to the next level? What if you took it to a level that I.
Speaker 2: Know there's going to be people out there saying, oh, your kids are soft, And I'm like, I hear what you're saying, Right, kids are meant to be soft.
Speaker 1: With yes, let them let them stay soft for a little while. They don't necessarily have been working down the mines.
Speaker 2: Just yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly. Yeah, So I just I don't know, I hear. I understand when people say that she just Crutchry cartoons are two violent because I felt it as well. I still left it on, but I went maybe they entered my mind. Maybe I shouldn't. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Possibly as a side note, and ty Dano printed out these questions sent them to me in a word document, and I read this as do I tend to skip the IBS cartoons? I'm like, I would skip a cartoon that was all. I don't want to watch that. So this one here from Dan pop o'matic. Given the recent passing of the genius that is Alf Clausen, what is your favorite of his music cues from The Simpsons? Probably an impossible question, Sorry, yeah, probably word You're right, Dan popomatic.
Speaker 2: I, there's the one. It's the transitions. So for me, it's like the I'm not I'm not going to do I'll play it here. It's just one of those bits of music that's sort of it's uplifting, it makes it feel good. It's usually when something successful happens, like someone we something, it's like, yeah, achieved your goal.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah. It's a really tough question then, because you mentioned the genius that is our course and that's great because I mean what he's doing is providing just underlying texture. Good music like this. It's not meant to be sort of like standing out at you. It's not meant to leap out it. You go, wow, what a great music cue. But once you notice the music's there, it's all you hear.
Speaker 2: Is especially the shows that we watch like SVU and we're watching ear at the moment, I'm like, oh, Nikola even said the other day, she goes, oh, the music started it serious business talking this like so and so with something broken up, get the people, don't do the music stuff.
Speaker 1: So as you said, I mean, given the reason passing, Yeah, it was in the rest in Peace Olf, that's when you sort of take stock and you know, wow, this guy did a lot of good stuff, and you really start to revisit things, or you really start to if you're watching them. Soode you listen and you go, oh wow, okay, that's intrinsic to yeah, the success of this scene or you know, my enjoyment of this episode. So yes, thank you for the impossible question, Dan pop upmatic. But we're glad we were First of all, we're glad that you paid triby to have clause and because yeah, that guy's great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do like the cue as a que I'll play this one here. So basically what that does is it incorporates the Simpsons theme, but in a transitional way. So that's what he done so well, was he would get the theme song but tweak it, put a clock in it, and tweak it where you still knew you were watching the Simpsons, but it wasn't the Simpsons theme, which is.
Speaker 1: Pretty tough because of Danny Alpin's theme, as we always say, is iconic, but it's also kind of.
Speaker 2: It's very in your face, it's very overpowering. As I said, we're off to the circus. Well, it's Thanny Alpha overall, isn't it actually?
Speaker 1: So to take that and tone it down a little, turn it into fabric and weave it all throughout the show, yeah, is a big ask, and it's something that they all pulled off really really well.
Speaker 2: Yes. All right, let's do one more question here and we'll wrap up this month's mail bag Trainiac Maniac. Are there any jokes in the Simpsons that you never really got or don't understand why people find them so hilarious? It can be from now or when you were a kid. Well, there was still a jokes I didn't get when I was a kid. I understand now was in adult and I love them ones that I never quite I've always said, I don't quite get the love that Everything's coming up Millhouse gets. I think it's just something that's fun to say. Sure, yeah, as opposed to being a really funny gag. Everyone goes Everything's coming up millhous you know the Simpsons too, But I don't see it as a genuinely funny gag.
Speaker 1: You don't like the Rakes, do you. I'm not a huge fan of the Rakes. Yeah, I mean I again, it's one of those things everyone's got this I think where it's like that is a joke. It's a quote a wolf from what is it? Star Trek Next Genera is like that is a joke. It is not funny, but I recognize it as a joke. Yeah, yeah, I'd recognize that. The cap for your thing is like, oh he stepping around, Oh he keeps stepping on rakes. Oh it's gone from funny to not funny. It's been going so long it's back to a funny bugger. So yeah, but it's just something that doesn't really hit my funny mote all that much. But the thing I was thinking about this is, I mean, because here's the thing about my experience with The Simpsons. I mean, I was clearly a lot older than you when I started watching it, and I get the field of people who were creating it were of course older than me, but we had the same sort of frames of reference, and even if I didn't get all the gags, I would sort of understand where their heads were at. The thing that leaps to mind, I think, is it Millhouse who says this? But it's like, whoa a Bob mackey? I knew the name Bob mcke because I think you'd like, Yeah, I was a Landa Tayman JUNKI and I think, oh, he designed that dress for Share that she woke to the Oscars that everyone thought, wow, how outrageous. Yeah, his name was sort of in the zegus. But but a kid like, is it is it Milhouse who says it? Or is it maybe even Bart?
Speaker 2: No, it's it's Millhouse. Yeah, looking at a bush jacket.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is not really answering training and training in Maniac's question, because it was a joke that I got, but I can understand that it's like that's a little bit unusual or out there or from left field, and it is a joke that I got. So I'm not really answer your question. Training sorry about that, but I always just thought, yeah, it's just a joke that I thought was yeah, really really funny. But also it's hard to explain why. I mean, of course you can explain why. You can break down why it works. Oh, it's very unusual for this child to be saying that's all. It's unusual about to be wearing a Bob Mackie. It's unusually wow, Bob Maggie, like he's the hot name in the playground.
Speaker 2: There's jokes on the Simpsons that I don't understand why I find them so funny, but I always quote them, like Vira said that, Yeah, that tickles me to no end. I don't really know why it's so funny.
Speaker 1: How many times have we said on the show line delivery means a lot or a funny voice means a lot. Yeah, I mean, but yeah, as you said, look, why do I always love it? Maybe looked at you on its face, not even a joke, no, but ye, deliver, Maybe looked at you for the virus that Robert, what a delivery? Oh yeah, so yeah oftentimes, Yeah, it's just the way your brain is wired.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, well that'll do for our mail bag here for June. June.
Speaker 1: It is June. Yes, yeah, we're approaching the halfway point of the year.
Speaker 2: We are indeed, thank you guys for all of your support and thank you for sending through your questions mail bag at four finger discount dot com dot you want to be answered, have your question answered on next month's mail bag. If you can't support us on Patreon, that would be much appreciated, as well as where as you said, next month, in June or in July, you're going to get the latest episode of Speaking of a Hill Tales of U Jerome. We can also get access to all our other exclusive podcasts as well. Continue to please rate and review us on Apple podcast Spotify, reved you listen to the show. Next week, we're going to be doing Father No's Worst Season twenty and the poll is going up for the Boy who Knew Too Much. I think that's one that one's going to win, but look at it. Fred Classic Review next month as well, But for NOWA Sa Davis any final words for those incredible listeners out there.
Speaker 1: Incredible listeners, keep the letters coming. M m hmm.