Speaker 1: We never actually mentioned nine eleven on the show today, and it was kind of like we didn't mean to not mention nine to eleven. And it's kind of a shame that, you know, nobody's forgotten about nine to eleven. And I think that my experiences in the last couple of years will mention nine to eleven and it doesn't seem to touch a nerve. And I wonder if it's because there are so many people who don't remember. Because if you were five years old on nine to eleven, now you're twenty eight, you just don't remember it. But if you're forty eight, you absolutely do. Fifty eight sixty eight, you absolutely do. I remember. I'm going to tell my nine to eleven story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was going to ask were you here?
Speaker 1: No, I had a day off that day. I was sick and I never ever ever call in sick. Knock on wood. Yeah, that day I called in sick. And I woke up probably around seven forty five, eight o'clock as the between the first between the first and second plane hitting the towers. So I turn on the radio and it's Pat Eberts, who was on the show, and Angie Taylor, and they're on the phone with somebody, and this person lives in New York. And this person is talking about how there's a plane it hit the World Trade Center. And I'm listening to this and I wasn't getting it yet, and I remember thinking, oh God, here goes Pat blowing something out of proportion again, because that was kind of Pat's, you know, personality. And so I listened more and than I realized what I was hearing. Then I turned on the TV and by the time I turned on the TV, the second plane had already hit. Now I remember I was sick as a dog, and I don't call in sick unless I'm really sick. So I'm on the couch wearing my pj's watching this on TV. And it is smoking and the towers are billowing smoke, and I remember thinking, man, how are they ever going to fix that? How are they going to repair that? How are they going to get a crane up eighty five stories to repair this? Look at the big hole in the building and wow, yeah, And then I forget what happened. Next they said something like a plane just hit the Pentagon and I was like, no, no, but there's an explosion at the Pentagon and and they were speculating it was a gas explosion, and then they talked about the other plane, the one in Pennsylvania. Then I'm watching the towers, just watching them billow smoke. And at this point nobody knew they weren't zooming in on the people that are waving sheets and towels and tablecloths. They weren't zooming in on the jumpers. We didn't find out about the jumpers until later. And you're watching in this smoke and you just think, oh my god, that's horrible and horrible and surreal. And then the first one collapsed and it collapsed straight down, which I don't know anything about explosives, explosives or kinetics. Is that what it's called something like that. I don't know anything about that. But it wouldn't fall over sideways. It collapsed straight down and all the way down, not just part all the way down, because once that momentum got going, it just collapsed everything underneath it. And it was fucking surreal and you'd never seen anything like it. And I went to the doctor that morning because I was sick, and the doctor had the radio plane and everybody was just kind of quiet and listening. And that night I remember they grounded every flight. They grounded every flight, and the only plane there was a plane flying in circles over like the chan Hassen Minneapolis area, probably a fighter plane, just circling and circling, because all the flights were grounded. So if you were on your way to San Diego and you were over Reno, guess what They're going to land in Reno. Now you're in Reno. How you get home from Reno? Well, you either drove or rented a car, or a lot of people took the train or hitched a ride or whatever that way for a week or so that they wouldn't let airplanes fly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dang, was it really that long a week?
Speaker 1: I don't remember for sure.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe my mom used to travel for work a lot, and I feel like it was maybe a couple weeks after nine to eleven that she was set to go to Chicago. But then I mean literally any major city. There was talk that it would happen again in a major city, so they canceled her trip because they were like, well, we don't want this to happen to the Sears Tower, so we're going to cancel all of these trips, which I was fine with because I thought, well, if this happened in New York, it's going to happen to my mom too.
Speaker 1: We flew about two weeks later to Las Vegas for our anniversary, and even then we were a little bit nervous. And that's when they really implemented the crazy security lines. Yeah, because it used to be kind of like you breeze security with a cannon. You go through security with a can of gas in one hand, they stick of dynamite in the other hand and they'd walk through. That's a joke and then but now the lines were ridiculous and long. So that night I knew, and I'm gonna go ahead and take credit for this one, because if I don't give myself credit, nobody else will. I said, we all need to do a powerful group radio morning show with all of the morning people from all the big stations on one station, simulcasted on all of the stations. So it was me, John Hines, probably Lee Volsvick, maybe I don't remember, but everybody got together at the k Fan studio and did a morning show and talked about nine to eleven. Because it was so fucking surreal, I couldn't even imagine you're old enough to remember it. Bailey.
Speaker 3: I was in fifth grade and I was watching TV and my mom called me right before I had to leave to walk to school, and she said, you need to switch the channel and then watch the news. And I was like, okay, I have to go right now. So I turned it literally saw like a plane hit the thing and I was like, well, that's weird. And then walk to school so it was weird. And then they had to you know, like roll the TVs into all of the rooms that had the news playing and we all got to go home early.
Speaker 2: But I tennis, Yeah, I was. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was like so young though, so like my brain didn't think, oh, this is such a terrible, terrible event. I was just thinking my birthday is soon and this is really gonna hurt my birthday because I was ten.
Speaker 1: No, I get it right.
Speaker 3: You know, so like I sound like a jerk thinking that, but I was like, well this sucks.
Speaker 1: No, you didn't know, Yeah, And I think that's why a lot of people. See I remember the emotional impact of all the people who died and died instantly, and I think about the people in those poor people in the plane who were terrified. You know, you're on a trip. You're on a leisurely early morning trip to San Francisco, and you're getting your coffee and you're unfolding your newspaper to read it, and all of a sudden, people are killed right in front of you. They like killed the pilot or the flight attendants, and they said we're going to blow up the plane or whatever, but they didn't know that they were going to die instantly. You couldn't see the towers coming. So when you're in like you know, row forty two two ct B, you might look out the window and say, god, we're awfully low, but you don't know that you're about to die by hitting the towers. So to me, it was just really horribly sad in so many ways. So we didn't mention it today, but I will tell you one final story a couple of days later, that we did the huge American flag made out of single cards, like everybody held a red, whd er blue card, and we went to the National Sports Center and plane and we made a giant American flag. It was all over network news. We were all over the news, and we had a helicopter flying over and we had Michelle Mann, a local singer sing the national anthem. Everybody in that moment was very patriotic, and I think that was one of the last times our country was patriotic together.
Speaker 2: Sure was like right after nine eleven.
Speaker 1: After that, the only thing that brings us together is every four years when there's the Olympics.
Speaker 2: Yep, that's pretty much it.
Speaker 1: That's it all right, Let's get on with the Minnesota goodbye emails. Let's go to ooh, there's a selection. I gotta kind of go through here. Here we go. A couple of thoughts on the Minnesota Goodbye Don't say my name. This is no judgment at all, just curious when people say their children are big fans of the show. To me, it seems like most of the content on the show is either borderline inappropriate, war the roses, or but just go over the heads of young kids. Have y' all talked to kids of their parents and found out why they love your show so much? It's so interesting to me. I agree. We'll meet people who got little five year old Jimmy or eight year old Daisy Sue at the state Fair and they love to listen to the show. I think mom or dad turns it off when War of the Roses comes on, or the kids just don't get it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that's that. I think it's also the music we play. It appeals to like younger kids, it's pop music. I think also that kids hear one certain thing that they think is funny and then they cling onto it. Like I had someone DM me saying that they heard Dave say poop in the matter of like three times in like two minutes, and now the kids are like, let's listen to the Poop Morning Show.
Speaker 1: I heard that too.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So it's like so I feel like kids just kind of hear one thing and their brains just cling on to it if they liked it, and they'll they're like, oh I love that show, yes, but they don't really know what we're talking about.
Speaker 1: How right now? You used to listen genuinely when you were a little girl.
Speaker 3: I was like five when I started listening, and it was honestly, it was because it was on in the room that my mom was in, and so I would just be hearing it kind of through my mom. And if my mom was a fan of anything, I was a fan of that thing as well.
Speaker 2: So she liked it.
Speaker 3: So I liked it, but we would like go out to do like the meet and greet stuff that you guys would do all the time as kids and be like, we're huge fans.
Speaker 1: I think it's one of the cool things about you being on the show now is you actually used to listen to the show. And the same thing with Lena. Lena used to listen to the show. She grew up listening to the show, so she knew all about this and that and this.
Speaker 3: And I mean not even just used to like before I even started subbing, I listened to the show normally. I remember walking up to Fallin at the fair and being like, congrats, we'll miss you on the morning show. And I had no idea I would be on ever.
Speaker 1: That's crazy. Wow. She also goes on to say I am a little over two years postpartum, and ever since I weaned from breastfeeding, I have packed on the pounds, Like the weight just keeps going up, even though I haven't changed much about my lifestyle. I'm officially forty pounds overweight and really struggling to love myself. I have thyroid and blood test done. Anyway, if other listeners want to share experience with postpartum weight gain, that's great, or if anyone in the show wants to share experiences on how to love yourself during difficult times, thanks y'all. And I won't say her name. Nobody in the show has any experience with that one. But I don't really have much to add on that one.
Speaker 3: Well, my sister had a baby and she gained a ton of weight even like after she was done breastfeeding, So you're definitely not alone. And she's like super frustrated with it as well. But I mean, she hasn't like tried anything that has helped a lot. So I don't have any advice there, but you're not alone.
Speaker 1: I will only just throw in a tiny little observation and that you can take it with a grain of salt. And I think that I don't know anything about postpartumit, nursing or anything like that, but this is just what I'm going to say. One thing that I've learned about weight loss from Livia is sometimes we don't realize that we're eating more than we think, and it's just true, that's just how we are. So Livia said, hey, here's something you might want to try. Just really write down, put in your note section like what you eat all day, right, and it's like, oh, yeah, I forgot that. I ate that. I will literally forget that I had a three egg cheese omelet and I'm like, oh, yeah, oh I forgot about that.
Speaker 2: Right that?
Speaker 3: Or you don't know the fat that's in foods because you guys pointed it out to me. I was eating beef jerky and I was like, this is good for you. It's meat because it's prote jerky, right, And then you guys are like, yeah, there's a ton of fat in that.
Speaker 4: But there are those that are really good, like jerky that have just like lower lower stuff, So it's not like all jerky's bad. It's just yeah, that that helps. And also I think she asked if there's anything that we do to help ourselves out, just.
Speaker 2: One more down?
Speaker 4: In general for me, I kind of have like I need like goals to reach, so I start writing things down and then I feel more accomplished.
Speaker 2: Like a to do list.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like to do lists, or like if I was ever training for something, I like would literally print out the schedule of my training so I could just cross off that day and be like, all right, I accomplished this ten mile bike ride today. So I feel like maybe setting up some goals for yourself that you write down that you can physically see every day will help you just like get out and do more things.
Speaker 1: Sure, I think that one of the things that I struggle with is I've always said, well, i can eat the Culver's butterburger, but then I'm going to go for a run. And I did learn that you cannot exercise away a bad diet. It helps. Yeah, I mean you can go out for a walk, and I'm going to tell you this one big shock. Walking is a great exercise, but our bodies are so adapt adept at walking thanks to it. They're so good at it that it's not a good calorie burn because our bodies are so like there's a better word than adept at walking. The efficient is probably our bodies are so efficient at walking that it burns minimal calories. Because I'll go for a five mile walk, I'll get back and it's like two hundred and thirty calories.
Speaker 4: Fuck, that cannot be right after five miles.
Speaker 1: I'm just guessing.
Speaker 3: I don't know more than that, you're to like pick up your mood though, Like I started walking during lockdown and I now I like look forward to it all the time because it is such a moodlifter. And what I really what I started doing is that I would literally just walk out my front door and say, okay, am I going to go left or right?
Speaker 2: And then I would just continue doing that.
Speaker 3: Throughout this whole walk and I got to explore like a huge like I don't know three of the neighboring neighborhoods around me, and now I know where everything is, like within five mile radius of my home. And that was really fun to like explore like where I was and look inside of other people's houses because they got big old windows.
Speaker 1: I think walking is a good move you to booster, and it is, but it's not the most efficient cary.
Speaker 2: Yeah for Callori, But if you're just looking for a pick me up, yeah, walking as.
Speaker 3: Fie for totally for totally for totally you guys.
Speaker 1: Angela writes in, because we were talking about KFC yesterday because Janita giving us a rant about the KFC ran out of chicken, and we talked about how nobody goes to KFC anymore, and Angela writes in says, the KFC by my house is always busy, I live in Oakdale. I love KFC and actually prefer it over any other chicken place. Good to know that they still have their supporters. Okay, here is a couple of different ones. Bailey, I am stressed the fuck out about flirting. Please help me. Oh God, I'm a bad bitch and a literal burlesque artist, but I'm also traumatized from my ex sleeping with my best friend back in December. What advice do you have for those who need to remember that they're hot as hell? Also, congratulations on the man moving out, Thank.
Speaker 2: You so well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, do burlesque, then I guaranteed you're hot already period.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you're asking the right person on like flirting tips or how to feel like a sexy bad bitch, because Dave even told me earlier today I've got terrible self esteem. But I would say, like, had you said you're not already doing burlesque, I thought that was that was my step into hating my body less. So I'm glad you're doing that. Hey, get into that somewhere. Maybe come up with a new act potentially and get that on a stage somewhere. Get people to throw money at you. Babe that sucks. Though about your ex that really does suck. That guy sounds like trash or that person sounds like trash. And your friend isn't a good friend period. You need better friends. So maybe look into taking a workshop or a class somewhere and meeting some cooler, better people. And in terms of flirting, I have no idea.
Speaker 2: I have no idea.
Speaker 1: We do like flirt lessons, we had to do like a scenario. Yeah, so let's say that I am an attractive defeat of Jesse James Day reenactor really got here. Let's say you go to Applebee's and it's after the and you're like, oh my god, that's him And I'm not in character right now, and I'm sitting there at the bar at Applebee's and you sit down next to me and you turn to your friend or your sister Madison, you go, oh my god, that's him. He's so and so go ahead and flirt.
Speaker 3: Can my pickup line as always, Hey, has anyone ever told you that you look like insert celebrity name here? Has anyone ever told you that you look like Clel Miller from the Defeat of Jesse?
Speaker 1: You know that's funny. You bring it up because I'm in the I'm actually a reenactor.
Speaker 4: Shut up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's kind of fun.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's so cool and interesting. So how did you get into doing that?
Speaker 1: Well, you're really a boring conversation listener. No, actually, it's a good question. Was a good question.
Speaker 3: So when I ask that question, what, well, accept it's not really a question it does.
Speaker 2: Has anyone ever told you that you look like Trevor?
Speaker 3: No, Noah, They'll be like no, period and that's it and then that's the end of the conversation.
Speaker 1: Well, then that is rejection to you, right exactly. That's how you know they're not interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Hey, the clock on the wall says we're out of time for the Minnesota Goodbye. Please send your emails in. That is the heart and soul of the Minnesota Goodbye. Without your emails, we don't have a whole lot to say. You are a staff writer, and if you're new and never written in before, send those in to Ryan's show at KDIWB dot com. And if you want a staff writer sticker, we actually have a sticker. It's round, it's about two and a half inches across and it says official staff writer Minnesota Goodbye. It is perfect for your yetti, your computer, your water bottle, or even your car. Whatever you want to put it on, send your emails to Ryan Show at ktwbt dot com. You want sticker, put your address there.