Speaker 1: It's nice side with Dan Ray w Bzy Koston's Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, ballid Question one, which we have talked about before. We are delighted to be joined again by the Massachusetts State Auditor, Diana Desaglio. She is so committed to passing Question one that she has spent a good portion of this month walking. I said, walking across the conwalth of Massachusetts one hundred and forty one miles, madam auditor, welcome, How are you tonight?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 4: Thank you, Jan it's a pleasure to be back so soon. And yes, I did walk across the state from Great Barrington to Beacon Hell to raise awareness about the need to vote yes on Question one to audit the state legislature.
Speaker 5: Well, they're not cooperating with you on this.
Speaker 2: I understand that I've seen with invited someone to come on either the House Speaker of the Senate.
Speaker 5: President hasn't worked out too well. But that's okay.
Speaker 2: That's the choice before we talk about Question one, which is really important. This was an extraordinary effort. I can't imagine walking across the Kalmwalth of Massachusetts.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 5: People said, well, Massachusetts in a big state.
Speaker 2: Its one hundred and forty one miles you started in the New York border. Was there any moment in time where you said to yourself, oh, not sure, this is really a good idea.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 5: Did you get bad weather? Did anybody you.
Speaker 2: Know, did you come close to you know, some guy you know not running off the road intentionally, but you know there are people out there driving on cars.
Speaker 5: I mean that was a.
Speaker 2: Fairly dangerous, you know, effort that you took.
Speaker 5: My hat's off to you.
Speaker 4: It's what I'm saying, Dan, thank you so much. And let me just clarify. I am on the road in Western mass currently, or in Greenfield. So if I do hit a patch where there's no service, I'll call you right back. But I will say, and I am not driving, by the way, I will Are you walking now?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: No, no, I am not walking right now.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 6: No, that's I'm in.
Speaker 4: Western mass So my so my reception is a bit tricky right now.
Speaker 5: But you've made. You've made the walk was so October before it till October eleventh.
Speaker 4: Then yes, I I'm back on the road again. But what I will say is, look, there were a couple of tricky times. There was some road construction. Uh there you know, we're challenging roads in terms of you know, I had had a volunteer essentially Google mapped the route for us, and they did a really good job. However, because we didn't get to go out and drive the route first, we didn't have enough time. I ended up just walking the route and saying, look, if there are challenges, we'll just have to figure out ways around them. So there were a couple of challenging times, especially around Route twenty in the route Worcester area, where you know it was on my map. I just keep walking down Route twenty until you know, I realized, well, hey, there's no shoulder here to walk on. So we did have to do some you know, recon and that in that regard and make sure that I was shifted over and shuffled over to a safer place to walk in, which, you know, I was grateful to have local volunteers who knew the area well and knew all the back roads, so they helped.
Speaker 8: And you know, I would say the only day that I really had a little bit more of a challenging time full disclosure, was when it rained for a few hours.
Speaker 4: And when it first started raining, no big deal, but after a few hours of the rain. I was definitely less than passionate about my walk during those few hours. I got a little bit cold, but I you know, had some volunteers helping. They brought me a change of clothes so I could keep walking that day. And I have to say, I am incredibly, incredibly grateful because the sun was shining with some great weather for the vast majority of the week, and we were able to connect Dan with so many amazing residents across this Commonwealth in their own neighborhoods. Folks were hearing that I was walking through their neighborhood and they would, you know, give our campaign a call, and they would call and they would come out and start walking with me. People were walking with signs on their back that had, you know, logos of the sun shining because we're you know, our campaign is the Sunshine Campaign, where sunlight is the best disinfectant. We're saying, let's shine a light on the dark areas of state government through an audit of the legislature. Folks were coming out with bright yellow, which is our campaign color, with suns on their T shirts. They were coming out with vote yes on one written on post a boards and walking and holding up the signs. I was getting honking of horns, you know, with people waving out the window and you know, let me know you're almost there. So it was it was a good It was a good week, and we got to meet with a lot of a lot of residents across the Commonwealth, and I was inspired Dan to see so many local officials come out and join as well.
Speaker 2: Look, that was a herculean task. Number one and number two, I don't know there were too many members of the legislature who could walk one hundred and forty one miles.
Speaker 4: And you do they certainly would have been invited, especially for this cause.
Speaker 5: No, No, I understand that.
Speaker 2: No, I'm just saying is that you obviously knew exactly what you were doing. I'm sure you had the enough of you know, a change of a couple of pairs of sneakers along the way. I'm just I gotta tell you, I am astonished, and I stand an absolute awe of someone who would take on that task. I'm serious when I say that, I mean just the idea of basically, you're talking about the equivalent of about six or seven marathons in from from the from the New York border to Massachusetts. So again, I don't want to, you know, go overboard here, but congratulations and I can't and I are. You know, you're going to know the state better than any of the other major politicians up there because you have literally did you how many towns? How many communities did you hit along the way? You must have hit like thirty or forty communities along the way out.
Speaker 4: Of the Oh you know what, I didn't. I didn't actually count, but that is a great thing for me to do. I'm gonna go back and come then I'll let you know. But you know, we took yeah, we took a route that took us from Great Barrington through Otis onto Westfield and West Springfield. We went through Springfield, then we went on to go through communities like Sturbridge, and we actually ended up going through both Worcester and Auburn. We went over to Westborough to Wellesley, all the way to Beacon Hill, and it was great to see folks even who didn't live in the communities that I happened to be walking directly through, Folks from neighboring communities coming to join on the walk. For example, when I was in Western mass and I was walking through Brimfield and into Otis and some other areas in East Brimfield. I had the Mayor of holy Yoke, Joshua Bergarcia, a great friend who came out and walked with me in communities that you know. He wasn't the mayor for he's the mayor of Holyoke, but he came and walked with me for a little while and we had lunch together, talked about the initiative. He's fully supportive of Yes on One. Mayor Mike McCabe of Westfield came and walked with me for several miles actually, and hosted an event for me in his community, which is one of the nights I ended in Westfield, and he hosted an event for me to encourage his local community in Westfield about Yes on One. You know. Mayor will Reich cult came and joined us from West Springfield. Mayor Sam Qualia from Fitchburg drove down to walk with me through communities that are you know, I think you She drove about forty five minutes to an hour, and that was the day that I was walking on to Westborough and she was walking with me that day alongside of counsel of Sally Craigan from Fitchburg. We had the mayor of Addleborough, Mayor Kathleen de Simone, come up and walk with me the morning that I left Wellesley to head from Boston, and we got to talk about a lot of municipal issues and you know, different issues facing her community alongside of her support for Question one. So what a great and inspirational time it was. Indeed, thanks to all of these wonderful folks coming out and walking. We had folks from all across the political spectrum, Democrats and enrolled Republicans all coming together to fight for increased transparency up on Beacon Hill. It was an inspiring week.
Speaker 5: Oh well, i'll tell you just great. So just one of two questions.
Speaker 2: Then I got to take a break, and I want to get some phone calls, okay, because I think that I didn't want to talk about Question one. I hope there was no moment where you stepped in a ditch and sprained an ankle that you you got through it pretty well, you know, because that stuff can happen. There was never some dog that chased you or something that never a moment of real problem or concern it.
Speaker 5: I hope no.
Speaker 4: I actually have to say it was a great, great week overall.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: The worst thing that happened this pastic And I'm a big hiker, Dan, so I should I should skate that, just hold it to be a big hiker. I hike the four thousand footers in New Hampshire. Anytime I take a vacation, it's usually a hiking trip. So I'm a very big hiker and avid hiker, and I love walking. And I did bring my walking sticks with me, and I did bring my camel back with me. The worst thing that happened in one of the days, I stepped in a really big puddle with a wet shoe for a little while. But you know, nothing that wasn't very easy to overcome. Some sore joints solved with a little bit of ibuprofen and lots and lots and lots of water.
Speaker 5: Oh that's great, that's great.
Speaker 2: I'm talking with the State Auditor the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, one of the six Constitutional officers officers here in Massachusetts, and she wants to audit the legislature, which I think is a fabulous idea.
Speaker 5: I have already.
Speaker 2: Voted yes on question one, and I would advocate and suggest all of you the same if you'd like to talk to the State Auditor, and really she's just I think, has just done something which is extraordinary. And if you'd like to add a word of congratulations, you will more than welcome. Six one, seven, two, five four thirty six one seven, nine thirty. We'll take some questions with the state of udit and we'll talk more about what Question one, if approved by the voters on November fifth, will accomplish. We'll be back on nights side with State Auditor Diane Dezaglio right after a couple of messages.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan ray Line from the Window World Night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Diana, let's talk about Question one. Why did they have to go to the ballot of this? That is something I think the foundational question people should understand.
Speaker 4: Sure, sure, we had to go to the ballot because when I went to conduct the audit of the legislature that I had committed to conducting during my campaign for State Auditor, the Senate President and the Speaker vehemently refused to participate in the audit and cooperate with our office and refuse to give us access to things like receipts procurement, contracting information and other documents that frankly should be a matter of public record if our legislature didn't exempt themselves from the record law. When they refused to cooperate with our office, I did ask the Attorney General's Office for Assistants to bring the legislature to court to adjudicate this matter, to ensure that the courts could make the judgment call on our right to audit the state legislature. Now, for folks who might not have been following this entire time, the Auditor's Office has always historically audited our state legislature since its inception in EP forty nine. We have conducted over one hundred audits of the legislature throughout history. It's only been in recent years that legislative leaders who have become very very powerful have decided to kick up their heels and say that they are refusing to cooperate with these audits. That is unacceptable, So we sought to bring them to court to require that they comply with the current law that already states that my office is to audit all departments and activities and accounts of the Commonwealth. They don't believe that all departments applies to them, so we tried to bring them to court. The Attorney General refused to assist us in court and sided with legislative leaders instead against this audit, leaving us with the only option of pursuing this through a ballot initiative to get the support of the people of Massachusetts by voting to ensure that the state legislature is absolutely included in the language of the law, to clear up any confusion about the phrase all departments and make sure that it says including the General Court, so instead of saying all departments, it will say all departments, including the General Court, are to be audited by the Office of State Auditor. It's concerning and disappointing that we even had to get to this point of providing clarification on language that I don't believe is really ambiguous at all. I believe all means all and it's very clear. But we did have to bring this to the ballot because of Legislative leader's refusal to participate and the Attorney General's refusal to represent us in court on this matter and siding with legislative leaders. So here we are. We went out Thanks to all the volunteers out there who helped to collect over one hundred thousand signatures to get this issue on the ballot November fifth, we are now on the ballot thanks to all of you. We have to get a lot of signatures, do a lot of work for that, and now this issue is on the ballot, and voters will have an opportunity to make crystal clear that they expect our state legislature to abide by the same laws as everyone else, and they expect our state legislature to show us the receipts.
Speaker 9: After all, it'll be a great victory. It'll be a great victory for the people of Massachusetts if Massachusetts votes yes on Question one. The other question that.
Speaker 2: I had, auditor, is that the power of the purse always rests with the legislature in Congress or in Massachusetts. So I'm wondering if there's been any negative feedback from the legislators who do not like to be told what to do in the legislative leadership. Have they tried to come after your funding for your department or anything, because that seems to me the way that oftentimes people who are in positions of power and authority react.
Speaker 4: One thousand percent. That's unfortunately the way legislative leaders operate. It is like a middle school playground, and they have acted like bullies. Let's just be real here. I served in the state legislature for six years of the state rep four years as a Senator. I served portions of the Merrimack Valley in the North Shore during my time in the legislature, and I was pretty canned as someone who grew up in Masillen and Lawrence. I spoke my mind quite often about what my district expected and sought for my community, and that was not appreciated. I was often retaliated against during that time. It wasn't just me. Many folks who speak up for their communities get retaliated against by legislative leaders and that's not changed at all since I became State Auditor. They have absolutely retaliated against my office already. I have gotten five times less of an increase than some of my counterparts in constitutional office. I have seen attempts by the House Speaker and sent a President to strip my office of appointing authority to commissions like the Health Policy Commission, in a retaliatory effort to try to punish our office for doing the work we are called to do by people of the commonwealth. But Dan, honestly, this is nothing new. This is not my first rodeo dealing with leadership's retaliation. And frankly, we're not going to be bullied by the by the middle school playground bullies right now.
Speaker 5: Last quick question.
Speaker 2: We've got to good news, and I have a bunch of phone callers who want to talk to on the other side, if you can stick with us just for a little while longer.
Speaker 5: When did the audits of the legislature end? Who? If you know what.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you do, who was the auditor at that time, and who were the legislative leaders who basically must have worked back then with the auditor to us suspend what had been a regular activity.
Speaker 4: Former Joe Danucci, former Auditor Joe Denucci was the auditor at the time when the audits stopped happening. Now, I know, folks may have been you know, may have heard about this fight for auditing the legislature for the first time in recent months due to my push to audit the legislature. But I'm actually not the first to make this push. I stand on his shoulders of former auditor Joe Denucci, who was actually the one who fought with the Speaker of the House back in I believe it was around nineteen ninety one or so in the early nineties when Auditor Joe Denucci went in to conduct his routine audit of the state legislature, and the Speaker at the time at a time said to Speaker Dodanucci that he did not want the auditor to audit the legislature. Auditor Joe Denucci did not take kindly to that information and actually went to the general at the time.
Speaker 6: For well, do you ad erupt?
Speaker 2: Do me favorite you want your cut in and tell her we're lost and we'll bring back we got to take a newscast. So Joe Denucci was the auditor and a good guy, also a friend, and so he was prevented from doing the audit. I missed which who was the speaker at the time. But we'll do the research on that and hopefully we can get this line. The auditor had explained to us that she was in an area in Brookfield where maybe she would lose contact with us. But hopefully in the next couple of minutes we can get her in a better place and we can stop her from walking at least.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, no, that's great. You back. Are you back?
Speaker 4: I'm back, Yes, thank you, And if I kind of just let me know because sometimes it goes in and out.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, this was the first time you lost you real quickly because I got to go to news. Who was this House speaker at the time that stopped Denucci from doing the audit?
Speaker 4: It was actually a speaker Flaherty and Joe Denucci the time bought back and Joe Denucci asked the Attorney General first astance. The Attorney General said, look, there's a disagreement about the interpretation of the law. Why don't you file a bill, mister auditor and try to pass a bill that will require that they be audited. So the auditor tried to file a bill. Apparently, you know, or obviously the speaker at the time did not pass the bill.
Speaker 2: Can I take a guess, I'll bet you the bill never got out of committee.
Speaker 4: The bill never got out of committee.
Speaker 10: Man.
Speaker 4: No, we're taking a different tact, Dan, We're a different tact in a different approach, and we're bringing this issue to the ballot. But Joe Denucci was actually the first auditor to fight back against these bogus claims that the legislature shouldn't be audited. Uh, and I stand on his shoulders and continuing that fight, Well, he had big shoulders.
Speaker 2: He was a tough guy, a boxer, as I'm sure you know, a champion. As an auditor, you are as well. We're going to take a break. We got about a three minute newscast and we're going right to calls. And I can't tell you how how much I support you on this. This is so important. And the House Speaker, Mike Flaherty, they came from that kind of that old school, the Tommy McGhee school of House speakerships, who was kind.
Speaker 5: Of their way of the highway.
Speaker 2: And I think that the State Auditor knows the back roads and the highways of the Massachusetts political scene pretty well from her experiences. And I think this one's going to pass, but it's only going to pass if you vote yes on one. Back on Nightside right after this with the State Audit the Comwalth of Massachusetts, Diana Dezaglio.
Speaker 1: It's Night Side Withston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: We're talking with the Massachusetts State Auditor, Diana Dezaglio, and all she wants to do is do her job as state Auditor the legislature is basically throwing roadblocks in her way. Those roadblocks can be removed if people vote yes on question one. Diana, I hope the connection is good because I got a bunch of callers who would like to like to ask you questions or perhaps even thand you for what you're doing. Here we go Paul and need him. Paul, welcome first, and I would state it auditor, Diana dis ugly, go right ahead, Paul.
Speaker 6: Yes, Good evening, dn auditor, good evening. I am a y on one, I'm a years on one, and you are doing an outstanding job. My question is this, this.
Speaker 2: Call can only go downhill from here, you know, Diana at this point, no, only kidding?
Speaker 4: Go ahead, Oh good god, Paul.
Speaker 6: Non disclosure agreements is that one of the things that the legislature does not want the public to know about, the moneys that have been spent on non disclosure agreements.
Speaker 5: Bingo bingo, bingo, ding ding ding ding ding. I think you want a price here.
Speaker 3: Paul, Go ahead, you did, yes.
Speaker 4: Non disclosure agreements which have been abused by folks in the private sector, unfortunately for years, to cover up illegal acts, assaults, criminal activity, abuses, a lot of folks might not be aware of, Paul, but you know, obviously because you ask the question, that our state legislature is actually able to use our tax dollars to cover up misdeeds and even potential illegal activities using our tax dollars through funding those non disclosure agreements. We know that the House of Representatives alone executed at least thirty three non disposure agreements in recent years, but what we don't know is how much was spent to fund them. What the non disposure agreements were used to cover up, you know, or any information that could ensure that tax payers, you know, are not watching their tax dollars be brute abused and that people are not being victimized at the state House and there's no cover ups occurring. So certainly those non disclosure agreements. That is one thousand percent one of the reasons why legislative leaders do not want this audit because it would be exposed potentially how much has been spent on those silencing agreements.
Speaker 6: Go get them, and you're doing a great job. You'll always get my vote.
Speaker 5: Paul, Thanks very much for the call. Appreciated.
Speaker 2: Okay, you can see you're gonna have a lot of support here tonight, let me go to Kathy and Lunenburg. Kathy, you are next with the Auditor of the call Wealth of Massachusetts, Diana Disauglio.
Speaker 11: Kathy, Thanks Dan, Hi, Diana, you already know I'm a fan of yours, and I just wanted to say thank you. I really wanted to actually get out and walk with you when I saw that you were doing that, and time's at the best to me and just too much going on, but I wanted to ask you, are there any lawn signs or any you know, logos, anything that we can do, just handmade signs because we all stand out at the polls and hold signs.
Speaker 2: Anyways, Kathy, as you were talking, we have momentarily lost the auditor. But stay right there. And uh, Rob is trying to get her back. She's actually she mentioned earlier in the in the hour that she's walking in Brookfield again.
Speaker 11: Uh I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no, she said. I think she said she was walking. But Rob is gonna going to try to pull her back here. You know what's funny, I have seen I haven't seen many law many law times. The question the question auditor from Kathy is whether or not there any lawn signs that are available with your campaign. I haven't seen many lawn signs on any of the ballot questions. I have seen, you know, presidential campaign signs in my neck of the woods here.
Speaker 4: I wish, I wish, und Kathy, I do apologize that we really don't have the funds, the financial resources right now to be able to go out and purchase those lawn signs. But please go to my social media and grab some of the photos that we've posted. If you find me on social media, just do a Google search or a search online for whatever your browser is, and find me on social media, Diana Dezaglio, and we'll send you a logo for audit for the audit the legislature, yes on one, and you could post it on social media. And that's kind of the grassroots way that we're trying to get the word out there. And letters to the editor are always appreciated as well. If you can't post a long sign, feel free to post a letter in your local newspaper to support We certainly need the advocacy out there in those local newspapers.
Speaker 2: The other thing that the other thing, excuse me, the auditor of the other thing, Kathy, that you could do, or any other listener could do. Is tomorrow. This hour with the State Auditor is available on our website, which is Nightside on demian dot com.
Speaker 5: You can pull that down.
Speaker 2: It'll be reduced to about you know, a podcast form about forty two minutes or so, and you can share that on your own personal page with you know, other friends or your connections and just to get the word out there. I mean, I don't know how many shows of this length the auditor has done, but I think she's made it pretty clear why this is important. She's provided us with the history of it. If someone takes it, takes the opportunity to listen to what she has to say, I can't of imagine how you would want anything but transparency and openness and sunshine.
Speaker 11: And yes, I think most people can agree. I mean, this is something at you know, absolutely vital. And you know when I called in last weekend when you had that pollster run and I asked him how it was polling, and I think the percentage was very, very high if I recollect.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I think I want to make it as big.
Speaker 2: I want to make it as big as possible so that no one in the legislature can say, well, it only it only passed, you know, sixty forty. I'd love to see it eighty twenty because I think the only people who should vote against this are members of the legislature and their immediate families.
Speaker 5: That's as simple as that.
Speaker 11: Couldn't Thanks Kathy, all right, thank you, Thanks Thanks Kathy, Thanks Diana.
Speaker 5: Diane, I gotta take one more quick break.
Speaker 2: I promise I'll make it quick and then we'll be You'll let you go at ten o'clock. And again, I hope your staff tomorrow can can download this hour on Nightside and demand put it up on your website, because I think this is one of those issues that everybody should be able to come together on because it's everyone's tax dollars that are being spent up there. They should be spent wisely, and we should know how they're being spent. And that's all you're asking for. There's no political or partisan action involved here. You're a Democrat asking to audit the Democratic legislature, and for some reason they are refusing, and I just think it's it's so ninety ninety a shit, this, yeah, this is the twenty first century.
Speaker 4: It's concerning it is concerning.
Speaker 12: Dan.
Speaker 4: If there's nothing to hide, then open up the doors. It's our taxpayer dollars. That is not the politician's house, it's the people house. People's house. Open up the doors, let the sunshine in. If there's nothing to hide, and you.
Speaker 2: Have completed one hundred and forty one miles across the Commonwealth of Massachusetts walking for sunshine, we'll take a very quick break. I got good, good calls coming up. My guest, Massachusetts State Auditor Diane Desauglio, will be back. We'll finish this up by ten o'clock, so feel free to stay there. I can try to get another one or two in if i'd like to try. Six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty six one seven, nine, three, one ten thirty. Oftentimes my listeners are frustrated with the lack of cooperation they get from Beacon Hill.
Speaker 5: This is a member of the statewide leadership.
Speaker 2: She's one of the six constitutional officers who is actually up there fighting on behalf of the people in the best way possible, openness and transparency.
Speaker 1: Back on Nightside, It's Night Side with Dan Rayy Hey, Dan Donjibs, Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 13: We want you to join the twenty twenty four Walk to End Alzheimer's. We're fighting for more time for treatments and we're closer than ever to stopping Alzheimer's, but to get there, we need you. We're walking in towns across Massachusetts and New Hampshire this fall, and we hope he'll join us, form a team and raise critical funds to support research and local programs for those living with Alzheimer's and dementia and their families. Support the Alzheimer's Association and register today at All's dot org slash.
Speaker 14: That's All's dot org slash walk.
Speaker 15: I had stage three ovarian cancer. I knew I was going to go to Dana Farber or Brigham Cancer Center. That's the thing that's so incredible is all they do is cancer. They're going to be on the cutting edge of therapies, they're going to have things available to you, and they're going to be rock stars throughout the journey because they've seen it all.
Speaker 16: For an appointment in Boston, Foxborough, Milford or South Shore, contact Dana Farber Brigham dot org. Dana Farber Brigham Cancer Center. We specialize in cancer and you.
Speaker 17: Trust is a key component in any relationship, business or otherwise. When we refer our clients out, we want them to be taken care of and treated the right way. There is no better example of this than Andy and his team at Ivy real Estate.
Speaker 12: We at Ivy real Estate have been serving people throughout New England for many years. It's important that they have our values and standards. That's why we partner with Smaller Insurance.
Speaker 14: When it comes to insurance, Go Small Smaller Insurance. Dot Com Ocean State job Blood is celebrating you are loyal Insider Club members. During Insider Appreciation Days from Thursday October tenth through Wednesday, October sixteenth, get forty percent back as a Crazy Deal Gift card when you spend thirty dollars or more. It's our way of saying thank you, so don't miss out. Get your Crazy Deal Gift card for free when you spend thirty dollars or more. Not an insider, no worries, It's free to join. Come into any of our stores and we'll sign you up so you can save Save Save.
Speaker 18: Bring energy, efficiency and beauty to your home with Pella Windows of Boston. Find out why homeowners, contractors, and architects rely on the superior looking quality of Pella for replacement windows, remodels, and custom builds alike. Pella is rated number one by Boston homeowners as the window brand easiest to do business with. Visit a showroom in Hingham, Natick or Woolburn, or schedule of free consultation at Pella off Boston dot com, based on a twenty twenty survey of leading window brands among homeowners.
Speaker 1: Back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: We have full lines. We're going to try to get everybody in. The people who have called first will get in first. Let me go to George, Hey Tewksbury. George, you next on nice side with the State Audit of the Commonwealth. Diana, go right ahead, George.
Speaker 6: Hi, Dan.
Speaker 7: I voted already myself, and I keep repeating this every time I talk High State Auditor Diana Hawaiian is George from Tewksbury, and I repeated that I'm her biggest fan, so eventually it'll just catch on.
Speaker 4: But a right, George, always great to hear from somebody from the Merrimack Valley. I'm a one girl myself. Thanks for Collins.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I wanted to mention that I was on the Drake Connection, I was on Wilmington Community TV and a debate Tewksbury Telemedia. I mean, and I got about five or six others that I'm saying that I stand for a Bellot question one and in full support of you and everything you do. But I have I can't believe this though, that no one said this one y. You don't only just talk to talk, but you walk the walk.
Speaker 5: That's a good thing.
Speaker 4: Oh thanks, that's great, that's great, George. Leave it to a Merrimack valley man to put that together and that that was great. I appreciate that, George. I'm going to say that to people that we had a good friend from Twoksbury call in tonight. Thanks, we did walk the walk, one hundred and forty one miles of it.
Speaker 6: Thank you, be well, Thanks, thank you so much.
Speaker 5: That's a good quick call and a very positive call.
Speaker 2: Is here you get a couple more in here out of the wire, Terry down to the Cape, Terry, you're next to night Sacer right.
Speaker 11: Hit Terry, Hi Dan not am monitor.
Speaker 19: I am honored to speak with you, and I'm so proud of everything that you're doing. Oh my goodness you inspiration.
Speaker 4: Oh, thank you so much, carry thank you.
Speaker 19: I have a little timey walking group actually Dan knows about it at the Hardwich Community Center. If you're down on Keith good on Wednesday, October twenty third. Not only do we have a walking group at eleven o'clock and the tim at twelve men, we're having a pizza party. I would be wow excited to have you come. Is our guest speaker, and I'm in charge and I can do that.
Speaker 4: Wow, that is quite the invitation. I am always thrill when I get an invitation to go to Harwich. One of my favorite communities. I have to say, because I actually started to get folks to know folks in Harwich as one of the first communities that I was able to start campaigning in in the Cave, great folks there like Elaine Dickinson, right got Wald, Liz Harder. I could just keep going. I know a lot of folks down there, and Carrie, now I know you and I will certainly be making every attempt to get down to Harwich very soon, hopefully for the pizza party, but if not for that very soon. And Dan, if you could connect us after this, that would be great.
Speaker 5: You know what I will do that for. You leave your number with Rob.
Speaker 2: Okay, and then I probably have your number somewhere, but you leave your number with Rob so I can get that too.
Speaker 5: The auditor okay, thanks, thanks, don't hang out all right, leave your number. We'll keep rolling here. We're gonna get a couple of Gary.
Speaker 2: At least Terry is a She is a tried and true Democrat. I want you to know. Let me go next to Ron and Newton. Ron, you were next with the State Auditor of Massachusetts.
Speaker 3: Go right ahead, on, Madam Auditor Diana. You are my You are breadth of freshie and my hero. You have my vote now and forever. I can tell you, and I have to say I'm also very fond of the mer mc valley. I during my college years I goil pools in there. One more thing I'd like to say is that I was fortunate this weekend and conquered to pick up a copy of our first President, George Washington's inaugural address, and in one sentence he says, uh, I said limit expenditure, actual expenditures as to the public good may be thought to require. So our first president was concerned about expenditures right from the get go.
Speaker 4: Wow, thank you for that.
Speaker 5: Right, appreciate you. Thanks so much.
Speaker 2: I appreciate the call and very very interesting connection you made between George Washington Diana's That's great.
Speaker 5: I love it.
Speaker 2: Thanks Ron, talk to you later. We all, I'm gonna get at least one more in. Maybe we can get two more in for the State auditor. Let me go next to Dennis and Lowell. Dennis, next on Nice I with State audit. Go right ahead, Dennis.
Speaker 4: I love Dennis.
Speaker 11: Good evening, Good evening, Jennie.
Speaker 4: Is this tennis that I know from lull Is? This is it Dennis Dennis from Lowell?
Speaker 10: Yes, yes, I couldn't. Yes, usually I talked sports with Dan. But I've been impressed with Diana since I first met her at a gathering with Swama State Senator Steve Panagiattakas and uh and and Dan. I I like to think I know talent when I see it, and Diana has talent very much. And I'll just quickly say again, going back in history, that's what our government was formed, checks and balances. I mean, that's one of our basic foundations. And so I wish you the best of luck, Diana, as always, Dennis.
Speaker 4: As always, thank you so much for calling in and really really appreciate that continued to support my friends.
Speaker 2: All right, Dennis, appreciate it. I always good to hear from my former baseball competitor.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, world, Dan, who knew?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, absolutely last call of the hour, Ross and Quincy.
Speaker 5: Ross, you're all with the State Orditor, Diana does ugly go right ahead, Ross.
Speaker 20: By Diana, thank you very much. I have a question about closed meetings that are not open to the public. There are times when it's appropriate that the legislature should have a confident meeting and confidence and confidence with all disclosers of the public. I'm a member of a church board of trustees, and sometimes we open our meeting to all the members, but there are times when we have to be discreete and considered personal obligations. Which to what extent would you press you get that kind of data from a closed meeting?
Speaker 4: Well, and audit is only able to look at information that has been documented in some way. We can't look at things that they haven't been documented, and we're only able to look at things that have happened in the past. So that means you can't barge into people's meetings or anything like that and disturb the daily business and day to day activities of any organization, including the legislature. These bodies have to be able to do their work. So audits audit the past, they don't audit the present, day to day happenings, and we look at process procedures and financial information. So I hope that answers your question.
Speaker 20: RADI do not if you have written minutes, you cannot. You are not going to try to get the information that's not written.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, Rush, you're fine.
Speaker 2: I think I think that the auditor and again you you're a private church, your organization, you have all sorts of rights of privacy that a lot of public agencies would not have. Ross, I'm up against it. I thank you. I think you're okay. Trust me on that one, Diana Disglio, keep at it. I can't wait to celebrate this victory for you and for all the people of Massachusetts. People should vote yes on question one, without question. In my mind, thank you so.
Speaker 4: Much, Thank you so much. Jan have a great night. Everyone vote yes on wine. Bring on its side.
Speaker 5: All right, Thanks Diana, and we get back.
Speaker 2: We're going to talk about a new poll just released recently from the University of Massachusetts that says about a lot of people in Massachusetts. More than forty percent say that the state is on the wrong track.
Speaker 5: We'll explain