Speaker 1: State your name and prison number herald Edgerton, the second prison number two to one to oh dash three seven and your age please forty six last month. You don't look at Edgerton. Prison life agrees with you.
Speaker 2: No, sir, I just tried to take care of myself. Sir, I feel the years even if I don't.
Speaker 1: Look at chargers in which you were convicted.
Speaker 3: Armed robbery, defrauding an insurance.
Speaker 1: Company sentence now being served ten to twenty years, You may proceed, having served three years and seven months, and having the kind permission of Warden Holliday, I am up for parole.
Speaker 3: Up for parole tonight.
Speaker 4: Another in the exciting new crime series based on authentic cases actually heard by parole boards, are now state prisons re enacted here for the first time.
Speaker 3: Now, Harry Marble, you are about.
Speaker 5: To sit in judgment on another human being's freedom to decide whether he shall become your neighbor, your employee, perhaps your friend, or whether he shall remain where you society have put him behind prison bars. Well, that human being is a social offender, a criminal up for parole. The story you're about to hear is taken from the official records of Harold Edgerton, the second prison number two one oh dash three seven, now pleading before the parole Board and before you for his freedoms.
Speaker 1: Opportunity as a privilege or a prisoner, to be able to present his case as he sees it with honesty and frankness, is in my opinion, what makes this democracy of ours strong and great. I hope that you will accept my statement in the spirit in which it is delivered with full frankness and the full honesty of which I'm capable. That is precisely what we're interested in. Until three and a half years ago, well four years ago, I was a respected, and I might say in all modesty, a well liked human being.
Speaker 2: I owned my own home, mortgage free. I had a business I inherited it from my father, Herold Edgerton Associates real Estate. I had not one outstanding obligation, and I accounted my friends. I think it's accurate to say in the hundreds.
Speaker 1: Well, these facts are all known to us, Edgerton. But what we want to know from you is why did you, a respected, responsible, dependable family man, commit armed robbery and a fraud and insurance company.
Speaker 2: The answer, perhaps is that I had too good a life, had life, gentlemen, can you understand it?
Speaker 3: It was fine, but it was dull, dull.
Speaker 2: I know, I know it sounds like a schoolboy talking, But I always read the magazines, gentlemen, Time, Fortune, the story of the giants of America. They took chances, they gambled, and they won, a little audacity, a little vision. This is the difference between mediocrity and greatness.
Speaker 3: Call it Eurotic if you like. But I had this drive.
Speaker 1: Then It wasn't speculation. It wasn't business deals that got you started on.
Speaker 2: This, No, sir, would that it were. It was something much more common, much more vulgar. It was gambling. How many times I stood at the gambling tables and watched without betting a dime, And finally I had some excess cash. I sat down at the table roulette in the house of the notorious Gambler, differed Chasen and lost six thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: And I got up to leave. Jason asked me to come into his office.
Speaker 1: So now I'm mister region stretched and I've been watching you six thousand dollars. There's a lot of money to lose one who's never gambled before. But I've studied up on you. You have a fine real estate business, matter in appearance or everything that could be desired.
Speaker 3: We're just what are you getting at, sir?
Speaker 1: How would it be if you were to pay that debt to me without an expenditure from your own pocket the.
Speaker 3: Six thousand What are you driving at? Just this?
Speaker 1: I speak carefully and confidentially to you, sir. Supposing one night, say tomorrow night, you had occasion to leave in your safe.
Speaker 6: Be one in your inside office.
Speaker 1: Security is in the amount of six thousand dollars, and supposing quite by accident you're safe was robbed. Go on, supposing three armed bandits would a rifle you're safe tomorrow night, find those securities and.
Speaker 3: Make off with them.
Speaker 6: You were.
Speaker 1: You carry insurance, don't you, of course? But then the debt would be settled, insurance company would be out some six thousand dollars, and you won't lose a penny. It's quite simple. It's been done before. But that's robbery, sir. Defrauding the insurance company, that's criminal. You prefer to pay the money out of your own pocket and shoot yourself, mister Regidon, It's up to you.
Speaker 6: You don't have much vision do you, mister Rigdon.
Speaker 2: What shall I say, gentlemen of the board, to explain what I did. I was weak, I was avaricious, I was grasping. I could scarcely afford the six thousand dollar loss, and so later that night I called Jason on the phone and said, there would be sixty six hundred dollars in railroad stocks in the safe.
Speaker 6: You see how easy it was? Heyes, and heir six hundred dollars.
Speaker 3: I don't understand.
Speaker 1: The debt was six thousand, the securities came to six thousand, six hundred.
Speaker 6: The difference is yours.
Speaker 3: Well, sir, I've got to get home.
Speaker 1: Oh stay, I'm ament. You see, we aren't quite finished. I am quite finished. Just an idea I had, mister Egdon, see what you think of it. After all, one doesn't need a gambling debt to make such an arrangement as we made last night.
Speaker 6: I suppose it was just to happen without the gambling debt.
Speaker 1: And suppose I was to offer you thirty percent of whatever we found in somebody.
Speaker 6: Else's safe the next time. What do you mean simply this?
Speaker 1: I know that you're friendly with quite a number of real estate firms, you have an idea. I'm certain which ones keep securities and they're safe. All I need to know my organization, that is, is where and when and roughly how much seventy percent is my share, thirty percent is yours.
Speaker 3: I won't do it.
Speaker 1: You don't have to answer right now. Why don't you think it over? I mean I want to decide in the morning.
Speaker 7: Eh, gentlemen of the board.
Speaker 3: I should have gone to the police right then and there. I should have called a stop to the filthy business at that moment.
Speaker 1: Why didn't you driton? That's what this board wants to know.
Speaker 3: What can I say? Sir? Men are weak?
Speaker 2: I was weak, and there was a kind of intoxication, a tremendous kind of excitement.
Speaker 3: Many would have resisted it. I couldn't you ever stop to think of your family?
Speaker 2: Oh, yes, sir, I did. My wife is fine, a woman as man could ever have. My son, herold Edgerton the third, he bears my father's name as I do. I thought of them, and I thought, if they find out, the disgrace will ruin them, shame them. And there were my clients, people dependent upon me, small investors, They too would be ruined.
Speaker 3: So I never went to the police.
Speaker 1: And now you see the false wisdom of that decision.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, of course, But which of us, if he thinks he sees a way out, will face the music.
Speaker 3: In Jason's gang, I.
Speaker 2: Was called the chief. I was the frontman. He, of course, was the real power. We bought a cabin cruiser. It was docked in Lake Michigan, and after a job was over, we would meet aboard the boat, cruise out into the lake and divide the loot. It was a magnificent ruse, a floating headquarters for who would think to look for criminals aboard a sixty thousand dollars cruiser rigged for deep sea fishing, a pleasure boat. And so my career as chief began. Not bad, Chief, No, I'd say it was very good. Jason, My guess is that this jewelry's white nineteen thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: Whatever you say, Ah, whatever.
Speaker 1: You say, Chief, I think the next thing you want to say is the vague that the realty.
Speaker 2: It was the most efficient operation I had ever seen, the farmer's realty. The take twenty two thousand dollars. I think, Chief, a private home on the north side. Maybe the Grappith mansion.
Speaker 3: Oh, this has got to stop, Jason.
Speaker 6: When never use the same pattern, do we?
Speaker 1: Chief robbery today, a hoist in a bank tomorrow, cabbing a private home the next day.
Speaker 6: That's your right, isn't it cheap?
Speaker 3: I won't do it. Tom Griffin is a friend of mine.
Speaker 6: It's friendlier with friends.
Speaker 3: I went along with you two three jobs, but one is going to stop. I'll tell you I won't do it. Jason, what I've.
Speaker 1: Got on you wedget and you'll do it.
Speaker 2: I was trapped, hopelessly trapped, and then chasing put forth the next step.
Speaker 1: We understand each other. Do we have to we have to achieve. There's the finest insurance in the world.
Speaker 3: Just be sure you do it right.
Speaker 5: Oh, Harold, it was a lovely play, a lovely evening.
Speaker 1: Didn't you adore the music?
Speaker 3: Yes, that was fine.
Speaker 6: Helen, come in the living room, Darling.
Speaker 1: Let's never drink.
Speaker 8: Hell.
Speaker 1: I pitch to saving.
Speaker 3: The patent, the bonds, my earrings, my necklace. Harold, this is horrible, my dear, I'll handle this. Give me the police immediately. Hello, hello, police, my house.
Speaker 2: Has been robbed. I thought, gentlemen of the board, that with the robbery of my own home. I had reached the lowest point in my life, Yes, Edgerton, and I found, gentlemen that I had not.
Speaker 3: Kevin helped me. It was only the beginning.
Speaker 2: What you may ask can be more heinous than defrauding an insurance company, armed robbery of a friend's home, in robbing your own home. And I answered, gentlemen, what I did next?
Speaker 3: What are you saying?
Speaker 2: I mean murder, sir, cold, brutal, calculated murder.
Speaker 4: We will return to our file in just a moment, but first, the King of the Cowboys gene Autry will be riding high with song and Western drama on CBS again tomorrow night, and Vornman Rose Caravan will also be riding along with the five top tunes of the week, plus favorites of another college fraternity. The gene Autry Show and Vornman Rose Caravan are regular Saturday features of most of these same CBS stations. Back to the true story of Harold Edgeddon the Second the present case number two one oh dash three seven, The Man who is up or Parole?
Speaker 1: All right, now, Jititon, you made a shocking statement of this board. You said the next step in your career was murder, yes, sir, just a moment.
Speaker 3: Now, you were never charged with murder? Sir? What are you saying? What are you trying to tell this board?
Speaker 2: I am saying, sir, that I might as well have been charged with murder, because I, in my own mind, that's what I committed murder. It began with the biggest haul in the gang's existence. It began as everything did with Chason. He had me call the gang together on the boat.
Speaker 1: All right now, absolute client, absolute attention.
Speaker 6: JP will explain the plan.
Speaker 3: Wor's yours? Jee?
Speaker 2: Well, the building is the Mercantile Trusted, it's south and it's seventh was mater?
Speaker 3: Chief? What is it?
Speaker 1: You better go on cheese and I Chief isn't feeling too good. Just sit back and take it easy. Chief, stop me if I say anything wrong? Okay, okay, can I get you something maybe nice?
Speaker 6: Right, It'll be all right.
Speaker 3: Just listen.
Speaker 1: This time it's going to be the top fifteen floors of the entire building. No more wants sweet jobs. Fifteen floors. Wow, that's right.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 6: The Chief cooks up a planet. It's a plan.
Speaker 1: At eleven o'clock at night, the eight people in the building six cleaning women. One elevator operator one God God is about sixty five.
Speaker 3: They call him Pop.
Speaker 6: You'd be a seat, gotcha out?
Speaker 1: One O five. The six cleaning women leave and all that's left is the operator and Pop. Right, the operator is off duty at two am before he does regularly check me on this cheef. It brings a container of coffee for Pop, who was the only man in the building after two am.
Speaker 3: It's correct.
Speaker 1: Now, if there was something in the coffee, say maybe a pillar something, gotcha.
Speaker 3: That's terrific how you're feeling out, Chief, I'm all right.
Speaker 1: You'll be a lot better when the job's done, won't you. That's right, Okay, we do it. We meet back here in a bout at three twenty. Job's done, the boat kicks off. I get everything right.
Speaker 3: Cheap, fine, jeez, just fine.
Speaker 1: Hey, I hop he's the off he's the coffee shame well, I'm knocking off tough day. See if nobody walks off of the build, nipp hop.
Speaker 8: He's not like a light chas he'll be sleeping till tomorrow morning. All right, tony, come on, let's go.
Speaker 3: Hey, hold it down.
Speaker 1: That's allowed that something like call on iesay want Tony, this place blocks to us. Did you get the thirty face floor? Okay, Tony, get them going on? Twenty seven hours, right, twenty seventh floor, securities.
Speaker 3: Ninety flour two thousand.
Speaker 6: You've been able to figureut?
Speaker 3: How much? Where do we get to the bout?
Speaker 6: Tony?
Speaker 1: Don't count your chickens hair in the elevator shop keeps as one of this nothing to worry about.
Speaker 3: Look at Pop, sleep like a baby.
Speaker 6: Good night Pop.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you read about it in the papers tomorrow. Now let's get back to the boat.
Speaker 3: Yes, three o'clock. I hope this doesn't grow into a real storm. What are you worried about?
Speaker 6: Ejeton?
Speaker 3: Wind is blowing in the rain? Said, dreadful night to be out in the water.
Speaker 6: Ah, yes, help and drink. I ought to be right to catch the nose man. We ought to be on it.
Speaker 3: I hope Tony's all right. I sent him out on deck to get some air. He's awful sea set here?
Speaker 9: Who comes the embassy announced tonight and that's the news on the international seat and now at home. Police have just announced one of the most daring robberies in the history of the city. It is fourteen offices in the merchantild trust building were stripped between the hours of two and three am this morning of jewelry, merchandise, and securities estimated at six hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: They're wrong.
Speaker 6: This up is what a million dollars.
Speaker 9: Autant clue with the local airports, which indicated the band of robbers had left the city by plane. An earlier rest is expected, and in Washington today the Senate.
Speaker 1: Announced yes, an arrest is expected shortly at the airport.
Speaker 3: Great, you never.
Speaker 1: See anything like it in your life.
Speaker 2: We made mister Tony in here, chief, I said, a lout on deck a few minutes ago.
Speaker 3: Isn't he out there on the boat? I looked over?
Speaker 6: Is it blowing batter hurrying on? He show up?
Speaker 3: What could he fall over? Maybe that's what happened. Stop hins and Tony's gone over. We gotta find it. Get out of here.
Speaker 1: That's right, chilling out. Stop the angle with the chiefs out the matter with you're chasing a man falls overboard?
Speaker 3: What are you gonna do?
Speaker 1: Just go off right, forget about him? What do you think I'm gonna do? Start shining sight rights on the water, threwing him on it.
Speaker 3: But we can't let him drown.
Speaker 1: Oh, we can just get ourselves picked up by the coast guard of the place. Patrol's murder cheasing, do me a favor, edgitant forget them morality.
Speaker 6: It doesn't take come.
Speaker 3: Yet, gentlemen.
Speaker 2: As clearly as if I had put a gun to that boy's head and pulled the trigger, I murdered him.
Speaker 3: He was a decent kid. A robber, yes, but a decent person. Shortly after that that you were picked. That's right, sir, It was about a month later.
Speaker 2: How I lived during that month, What rationalizations and justifications I gave to myself, it's impossible to describe, but I hoped what happened would happen.
Speaker 3: Did you be arrested, Yes, sir.
Speaker 2: Tony's body was washed ashore and he was tied in with Chasen as Toolpigeon did that. As you know, Chasen was the first member of the gang arrested. And for whatever reasons, I can't presume to know what goes on inside the mind of a man like Chasen, but he kept his mouth shut about my connection with the operation. Then they found Tony's.
Speaker 1: Hat inside the hat band of phoneem.
Speaker 2: That's correct, sir, My private number in case he got into trouble, gentlemen, with the arrest. When the arresting officers came, I knew relief for the first time in the many months I had been part of Chasin's gang.
Speaker 3: And in the years that followed.
Speaker 2: These years here in prison, I have spent that time atoning for the many guilts which I freely admit, the guilt of my wife, my.
Speaker 3: Son, my daughter, my clients told me to society. Ah, that's how it happened.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, Now, if you like, if it pleases the board, I would like to make one final statement.
Speaker 3: I am reluctant to do this, but what is an engine?
Speaker 2: I want to read a letter from my wife, Sir, you may read it, dear herald at the time of the trial, when I learned for the first time that you were involved in those terrible things. You know how shocked I was that a gentle, generous, fine man like yourself could have this side of his character. Shall I continue, gentlemen, yes, finish the letter please. But now I've had time to think, and I begin to understand how such a thing is possible.
Speaker 3: Let me tell you now, my darling, for your own.
Speaker 2: Peace of mind, when you come out, and I know no parole board in the land will ask you to serve your full term when they have heard your story. Then when you come out, my darling, we shall be waiting Helen, Herald Third and Helen. That's all, gentlemen.
Speaker 1: You were a victim, then, dritan of human fraily ordinary human weakness.
Speaker 3: Is that what we're to understand? I tried to say it as honestly as I knew Howser.
Speaker 1: Having made the initial air of involvement with Chasen, you became his victim, his tool, and the rest flowed logically from this terrible premise.
Speaker 3: I would like not to repeat myself, sir, that is what happened.
Speaker 1: As you're well aware, there's another inmate inside this prison, well known to you, Clifford Chasin.
Speaker 3: Yes, sir, I know as.
Speaker 1: None of this board that you have during your imprisonment stayed away from Chasen, never exchanged a word with him in the past three and a half year.
Speaker 3: I tried my best, Sir.
Speaker 1: I'm going to take a liberty with the normal procedure of this board and bring this man into the hearing God show Chasen, and I want to caution you, sir, this man is a fantastic liar.
Speaker 6: With that, Jason, thanks to the chairman.
Speaker 1: Jason, you're aware that you were picked up in connection with the Mercantile Trust theft on the word of a stool pigeon.
Speaker 6: That's right.
Speaker 1: You're also aware, probably by now, the name of that stool pigeon.
Speaker 6: That's right. Ready, Galande from Detroit.
Speaker 1: Let me add to your store of information, Jason, the name of the man who informed on you was Harold edrit in the second. That's the list, and the question is addressed to you. Answer otherwise absolute silence. Now, Chasen, who masterminded the gang? Whose gang wasn't? Who in fact was the chief? So you s told on me? You're the one all these years. I kept my mouth shut all these years. What have you been telling him?
Speaker 3: All right? I'll tell him.
Speaker 1: Sure, in the beginning I brought him into the organization. But after that it was his idea. Every safe job, every stick up, every house we knocked over, He kised them, he planned them.
Speaker 6: What you been telling you?
Speaker 3: I have said my piece, gentlemen, did you tell.
Speaker 1: Him about knocking over your own house? Did you tell him how you wanted want of the boys to do it while your wife was there to make it look more authentic. Then I got down rougher up. Have you break a rhyme?
Speaker 3: Did you tell him that the man's a pathological liar?
Speaker 1: Did you tell him how you killed Tony? Did you tell him how when he fell overboard? I wanted a site fun, even if it was risky.
Speaker 5: Not what you said.
Speaker 3: No, tell them what I said, Jess, you said, what's one death?
Speaker 6: When you're making history?
Speaker 1: That's what you're sail Not another word either of you. Now, one last question, Harold Driden, what have you to say to all this?
Speaker 3: Will you keep him quiet? Sir?
Speaker 1: He'll be quiet. God stand by this man, all right?
Speaker 3: Proceed, gentlemen.
Speaker 2: This man standing here with me is one of the most cunning and desperate criminals I have ever met. You've just tasted a sample of his pathological lying. Of course I informed on him. I would do it again. He killed a man. Let me inform on him once more. Gentlemen, there is a prison break planned in this institution. Clifford Chasen planned that prison break well as your silence.
Speaker 1: You finished addon and not quite, sir.
Speaker 2: I wish only to remind you that I was someone who felt need for excitement, and it got involved terribly and desperately over my head. I did what I did out of fear and because I was a duke. But if in your wisdom, gentlemen, you see fit to return me to society, I can only say, and I believe I have learned my lessons, let me go back to my family. My guilt will always be with.
Speaker 1: Me, all right, edgeton board, will decide your case. Step outside with a guard.
Speaker 5: While Harold Edgerton's second waits and the parole Board reviews his history. You too have a decision to make in a moment. You can compare your decision with that of the actual parole board before which he appeared.
Speaker 3: That amiable redhead.
Speaker 4: Author Godfrays got words of music plenty for you every Saturday night when he rings up the curtain on another edition of the author Godfrey Digest. Here's your chance to hear the music and merriment you may have missed on Godfrey's five a week CBS daytime show. Here's your chance to meet once again those special Godfree guests. Here's your chance to enjoy a full thirty minutes with America's favorite ukulele player and commentator on things and stuff. That's the author Godfrey Digest every Saturday night over most of these same CBS stations.
Speaker 5: Now the decision of the parole board in the case of Harold Egerton, the second prison number two one oh dash three.
Speaker 1: Seven edgdon't step out of that light. I want to see your face as.
Speaker 3: I talked to you. Yes, sir, this is all right. I have sat on parole.
Speaker 1: Boards for nineteen years, and that long period of intense experience, I have met many hardened men. I've listened to men who boasted of stealing from the poor, petty racketeers. I've heard from men who vandalized whole neighborhoods, beat their own families, their fathers, sisters, mothers. I can recall nearly two decades of lies and deceptions and cruelty. But never in my time have I sat and listened to a man so thoroughly corrupt, so utterly viscerally dishonest as yourself, sir.
Speaker 3: I was silence.
Speaker 1: Yes, I've seen men conn others out of their life savings, but I have never seen an individual attempt so loud, so vulgar a job of confidence as you've tried before this board. I only meant to try to try to con a parole board. Hardly a single word of what you said was truth. It was you who planned the robberies, every one of them. It was you who was the chief the brains, You who let Tony die. You who dare to introduce a letter here from your wife, a letter written this board will knows over two years of go and since disowned. Your wife has divorced you, edgitden your children disown you, and yet you have the incredible effrontery to stand before this board and urge it. We grant you clemency based on a fraud you informed on your own henchman Jason. You denounced him as a pathological liar, and you blandly tell us that he is planning a prison break. You were planning the prison break, you, Edgenden. We have information from the grape vine, and we know you've done yourself an incredible deservice, and you told us the truth as it happened. This board might have been inclined to listen to you, but now knowing you, I can tell you that you shall not appear before a parole board in this state until such time as you've served your minimum prison sentence of ten years. I'm sorry you've learned nothing from three and a half years of incarceration. Role denied.
Speaker 3: Next case, Harold Legiton.
Speaker 5: The second is still in prison, and he will be there for many years to come, as will any prisoner who attempts to peddle a lie to a parole board.
Speaker 3: We have told his story tonight so.
Speaker 5: That all may understand the extremely difficult and crucial tasks parole boards of this nation face. And we have told it in the interest of the thousands of men and women in American prisons who made themselves someday be up for parole. You have been listening to up Or Paroles with Bernard Lenraw as Harold Legendon and Santa Sawtega as Clifford Chason, written by Arnold Pearl and produced and directed by Mitchell Grayson. Research by Wally Gould. Music was under the direction of Harry Saler.
Speaker 1: Listen again and at.
Speaker 4: The same time next week when CBS will bring you the actual story of prison case number one three oh three three dash B up or Parole. This is CBS where you play sing it again every Saturday night. The Columbia Broadcasting System