Speaker 1: Hello, It is Ryan and I was on a flight the other day playing one of my favorite social spin slot games on chumbacasino dot com. I looked over at the person sitting next to me, and you know what they were doing. They were also playing Chumpa Casino. Coincidence, I think not everybody's loving having fun with it. Chumpa Casino's home to hundreds at casino style games. You can play for free anytime, anywhere, even at thirty thousand feet. So sign up now at chumbuck Casino dot com to claim you're free.
Speaker 2: Welcome bonus.
Speaker 1: That's Chumbuck Casino dot com and live the Chumba line. No pers necessary, dvoid over if I lost terms conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 2: Judy was boring.
Speaker 3: Hello.
Speaker 4: Then Judy discovered chumbucasino dot com.
Speaker 5: It's my little escape.
Speaker 2: Now Judy is the life of the party.
Speaker 6: Oh baby Mama is bringing home the bacon who.
Speaker 2: Take it easy, Judy, jump the Chumba life. That's for everybody.
Speaker 4: So go to chumpacasino dot com and play over one hundred casino style games joined today and playing for free for your chance to redeem some serious prices. Jump Chumpacasino dot com Noprid's necessary boid we're prohibited by on eighteen plus terms and conditioned plice let's details.
Speaker 1: No, Hello, it is Ryan And I was on a flight the other day playing one of my favorite social spin slot games on chumbacasino dot com. I looked over at the person sitting next to me, and you know what they were doing. They were also playing Chumba Casino. Coincidence, I think not everybody's loving having fun with it. Chumpa Casino's home to hundreds at casino style games that you can play for free anytime anywhere, even at thirty thousand feet. So sign up now at Chumbuckcasino dot com to claim you're free.
Speaker 2: Welcome bonus.
Speaker 1: That's Chumbuck Casino dot com and live the Chumba line.
Speaker 2: No percent necessary DL you revod where Ever, if I lost in terms of conditions.
Speaker 1: Of eating pluss Hello, it is Ryan, and we could all use an extra bright spot in our day, couldn't we just to make up for things like sitting in traffic, doing the dishes, counting or steps, you know, all the mundane stuff. That is why I'm such a big fan of Chumba Casino. Chumbuck Casino has all your favorite social casino style games you can play for free anytime anywhere, with daily bonuses that shop brighten your day lowe actually a lot, so sign up now at Chumbuck Casino dot com. That's Chumbuck Casino dot com.
Speaker 2: Necessary overby lost in terms conditions eighteen plus D.
Speaker 7: You are now listening to True Murder, the most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them Gasey Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker DTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host journalist and author Dan Zupanski.
Speaker 6: Good evening to his neighbors. Anthony Souel was a friendly and helpful former marine, but they didn't know about his dark side or the gruesome secret inside his soul. Secret life was revealed to the nation on October twenty ninth, two thousand and nine, when a Cleveland police swamped entered his house to arrest them for an alleged rape. They didn't find soul, but they encountered a nightmarish scene to decomposed bodies as his third floor living room. Eight more bodies were hidden throughout the house and burned in the backyard. In the smith that discovered a human skull. All of the bodies were female and all appeared to have been bound. Two days later, police captured Soul, sexual sadist, who had served a fifteen year prison sentence for kidnapping, raping, and torturing a twenty one year old pre woman. House of Horrors exposes the shocking, detailed Soles to pray of crimes and twisted ski He preyed on neighborhood women, luring them to his home with alcohol and drugs. Soul then murdered the women and lived among their corpses. Five other women were attacked by Soul, but managed to escape. After a dramatic trial in the summer of twenty eleven, Seul was convicted sentenced to death. In House of Horrors, readers are given a rare glimpse inside the mind of a serial killer through interviews with souls neighbors and relatives, the surviving victims, and exclusive interviews with Soul himself. The book they were in his House of Horrors, the shock looking choosy Soul The Cleveland with my special guest journalist and author Rob Spyrna, welcome to the program, and thank you for a Greenedness interview. Rob Spyrna, thank you for having me.
Speaker 8: Dan glad to be here.
Speaker 6: Thank you very much. Incredible book and an incredible case. Let's talk about what were the circumstances that brought you to writing this book House of Horrors.
Speaker 8: The Actually it was a matter of ethical convenience. I don't live very far from the crime scene, and in watching the televised newscast of it, because there was a very big, very big event, I decided one day just to head over there. I'm an ex newspaper reporter and my you know, you never lose that nose for news. And as I stood on the sidewalk across the street from the crime scene, watching the corners assistance work and law enforcement work, I started talking to some of the people and some of the women were crying, and they were crying because they suspected or had reason to believe their loved ones were in that house, either daughters, mothers, sisters. And in speaking with the women and learning about some of these ladies who kind could have possibly been in there, I just became interested in their lives. For the most part, there were women who had jobs, they had families, and there was one common denominator and that was drugs. They all had drug problems, had a history of drug abuse, So I want to know more about those women and how that occurred. And then my inspiration writing the book was fueled when the media because when the bodies were found, there was a long, fairly long period of time between the murders and the discovery, so they were in various, varying states of decomposition. So the media really didn't have much to go on because the women weren't identified yet. But once they started finding out who they were, even the mainstream media kind of started branding and labeling them as by their past. So in other words, they were all women who had criminal histories, prostitution, drug abusers. So ultimately, what I wanted to do is give some sense of humanity back to the women, to show them as people who god hooked on drugs, lived basically a terrible life, and then endured a terrible death.
Speaker 6: Now let's talk about Cleveland, because we really do have to talk about that, and you do talk about that in your book extensively. Talk about Cleveland in the seventies and eighties, you note that at one time it was the fifth biggest city in the US. About Cleveland and the changing Cleveland, and especially then get to East Cleveland where this story occurs.
Speaker 8: Cleveland Industrial city. Of course, steel mills, manufacturing. In the fifties, those industries started contracting, basically left gaping holes in the inner city in terms of population. When the jobs went away, a lot of your middle you had middle class flight, both both black and white, left the inner city. Housing values really plummeted. Obviously, jobs went away, the safety net, social services started contracting. Into the seventies, Cleveland saw a lot of racial problems, a lot of a lot of racial strife. In the sixties, there was always a mistrust. It seemed to be quite quite a long history of mistrust between the black community and Cleveland police department. And there were two notable riots, Glenville and Huff where there's three three police officers were killed in the Huff riots. So there was a lot of tension, a lot of antagonism, and that mistrust carried through into two thousand and nine. Actually when the bodies were discovered I'll get to that in a second, but within when the population went away, what it left was a lot of poverty. Drugs came in. We had a big influx of drugs in the seventies. In fact, nineteen seventy two, Cleveland had three hundred and thirty three murders. That was, let's right on par with Chicago and New York, and the population was quite significantly less than them, so you know, there were some problems in Cleveland. Now. The neighborhood that Anthony Soul moved into was actually a one time a very affluent, so to speak, black community. If you were African American and you lived on Imperial Avenue in the fifties, that was a sign of prestige. Jim Brown, the NFL player lived there. Don King boxing Fromoter live there, Doctors, attorneys, so that was a nice street at one time. And as we saw the population decline and you know, housing values deteriorate, a lot of the big houses on Imperial got cut up into multi family apartments and became rental units. So of course there generally there's you know, less upkeep, and then the drugs moved in, so it was kind of a rough area. Now actually where the East Cleveland is actually an inner ring suburb of Cleveland. It's just east of the Cleveland city limits where this, uh, these crimes happened. It was actually in Mount Pleasant, a neighborhood called Mount Pleasant, which is a hot spot for crime, and the FBI charts it's one of the that's one of the highest violent crime rates in the nation. So that was the environment that that we were looking at for these crimes. Very high crime, drug plagued, poverty stricken neighborhood.
Speaker 6: And as you know too at this time.
Speaker 8: With the record probably more probably higher.
Speaker 6: Okay, now let's get to the subject of this story. Anthony Edward Soul, his mother, Claudia Garrison. So take us back and tell us about Anthony Edward Soul's upbringing, tell us about the family, and tell us what you what you have found in the book vote Anthony Soul.
Speaker 8: Anthony was a complicated figure who came from a complicated family. His mother, very religious, very hard working, had seven children with Anthony's father. Anthony's father was a rolling stone. He got married, he had a children out of wed lock. He had different different women he had children with, so Anthony really wasn't exposed him very much. He grew up in a house with thirteen a blended family of thirteen half siblings, nieces and nephews and uncles. Really no significant male role model in that house. It was just his mother and his grandmother. His mother was very demanding, very strict. She worked a lot of hours. There was a big house actually, this house was in East Cliff and a very nice house. And she was a very stern disciplinarian and her if she expected certain shores to be done and things to be done a certain way, and if they weren't or if they weren't done to her satisfaction, she would use physical, physical discipline. And one of her favorite methods was to strip the kid's naked. And her favorite targets for this were two girls. They were twins, Ramona and Leona. They were about eleven twelve years old, just going through puberty, and she would come home if they hadn't done their chores, strip them naked, tie him to a banister with an electrical extension chord, and then beat them with another cord until they either bled or cried enough to make her relent. Now she do this with all the other kids gathered around. So here you have these two young girls going through puberty naked, and the other kids associating whatever those sexual feelings, they were those confusing feelings with violence. So it's a very twisted atmosphere that she endured. And then just jumping ahead real quick to tie that in later on. Anthony's eleven victims, all of them were found with some form of an extension chord, either wrapped around there, binding their hands or wrapped around their neck. So going back, he grew up in this environment. I did not cover this too much in my book, but there was incest, there were sexual violence against the younger girls, just not a real healthy atmosphere. Now, Anthony seemed to be one of her favorites. He didn't get disciplined as much as the other ones did, but there were a few stories which I felt was important to his development. One of those one anecdote was he was in the front yard playing, he might have been about twelve thirteen, and his mom pulled in the driveway after work and he ran up to say, you know hi, mom, and she reached out of the car and punched him in the nose. She actually broke his nose, according to his siblings, And he just stood there and said, Mom, why'd you do that? She said, well, that'll teach you not to clean your room when I tell you too. So just a remarkably dysfunctional childhood.
Speaker 6: What I found remarkable is what you note in the book when and Claudia is whipping the nieces, and you said, in particular the two nieces and the one nephew, but Anthony was watching but laughing at their torment, which pretty telling.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, very confusing. Probably did not know what to make of that. Obviously, his and the other kid's psychosexual development was not proceeding, you know, as it should have with that blend of violence and you know, pubescent sexuality that they were exposed to.
Speaker 6: And at the same time, the elder father that you said was out of his life was also incarcerated for most of his life as well.
Speaker 8: Wasn't he incarcerated? Came out, met another woman, had four children with her. She, unlike Claudia, uh, was caring, nurturing interest in their children's development. All four of those children turned out very well. They all had jobs, they kept them until retirement. They had families, there were homeowners, very different experience than the children that grew up in Claudia's home.
Speaker 6: Now you mentioned the first infamous twelve one two two o five Imperial Avenue and Thomas Senior and Sigurna Henderson settle into the first four of this duplex. So tell us a little bit about this house.
Speaker 8: House had been in the Solo family for three generations. They actually were well respected. The family was well respected in the in the community. There were carpenters and handy men. Nice house, big house, three stories, a big frame house, double balcony off the double porch, roofed porch off the first floor, and then also the second floor and the downstairs were the mom. The mom lived downstairs and dad died while Anthony was imprisoned during the eighties or not the nineties, I'm sorry. And so Anthony's stepmother lived in that house but rented out the second and third floors. She gained some rental income from that. But that house was situated rate next right adjacent to a sausage factory, and then next door of this, just up the streets of the sausage factory was kind of a deli where a lot of the neighborhood people went to buy groceries and beer cigarettes. So there was some traffic on impurely because of Imperial. Because of that deli.
Speaker 6: Now tell us about his relationship with his real siblings, which are Patricia Owen and Tresa. How close was he to these siblings.
Speaker 8: They were quite a bit older than him, Tressa was, and Tressa was a little younger than him. Patricia well, sadly, nearly every woman that lived in that house, every girl in that house started having children at age thirteen, which perhaps that's biologically when they could have children first. So there was, you know, there was just different generations of the family in there. Now, Patricia had some serious health problems and she had seven children, and after about the third, third or fourth child, doctors told her, if you keep having children, you're putting your life in danger. Well, she kept having children, and in fact she did die. Tresa. Perhaps, you know, I think Anthony was closest to Tresa. Very sharp, very intuitive, very street smart woman, kind of a lengthy criminal history. She was a little bit of a hustler and a scammer, and perhaps you know, maybe they had that in common that that seems to be Yet who he was closest with, In fact, I think that's the only sibling that he kept in touch with after everybody moved out of that house. In East Cleveland.
Speaker 6: How was his academics as school? Tell us about that.
Speaker 8: Never lived up to his potential very bright. I talked to a couple of his teachers. They recognized a real spark in him. He just didn't seem interested in school. He was more interested in playing chess and reading. And he was an unusual kid. He was quiet and kind of kind of nerdy, and he was bullied in junior high. He was bullied, he got pushed around, so he wasn't really motivated academically, And of course there was probably nobody at home that was really pushing him and supporting him in any great direction to get good grades. He like the other kids, were left to their own devices, and eventually I think they all dropped out of school at some point.
Speaker 6: He talk in the book about it really affecting him later not to jump ahead, but that he was called dumb and stupid and dramatic moment in the book where Anthony decides that after this uneventful high school or lackluster time in high school, that he'll enlist in the army, and his mother says something that spurns him on. So tell us what she says to him that motivates him to go into the military.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, I don't have that exactly on tip of my tongue, but she did say something like, you'll you'll never make it in the military. He probably wanted to go into a certain branch of the military and she said you'll never make it. Well, she was wrong, I mean one hundred percent. He was an excellent marine. He was the honor he went into Marines. And what we have to look at first is this. He was very obsessive, compulsive, very organized, very orderly, and those qualities served him very well in the Marines, in the job market, and then of course in prison. So he went into the Marines, and he was orderly, he was organized, he was punctual to a fault. He followed orders. I mean, he was an interesting guy. He was not a rebel. I mean he was really looking to be loved and really wanted a leadership force in his life. So he could be persuaded, he could be influenced depending on who that person was. So he really thrived in the Marine Corps. He was in fact, he was named the honor Marine of his platoon. So out of seventy seventy Marines in his boot camp, he was the one that was picked that best exemplified the Marine attributes of integrity, leadership, honor. And he did well, I mean he did well in a very structured environment. In fact, during the trial, to jump ahead a little bit, an officer came to testify as to his record and said that he would have stayed in the Marines. He could have really made a nice career out of it.
Speaker 6: Now, he did re enlisting, so he did have a fairly lengthy you know, I mean relatively, didn't just go for the one hitch. But he was located in different places in the world, which becomes important a little bit later, at least for police authorities. So tell us where some of the places that he was stationed.
Speaker 8: He yeah, he spent a lot of time in North Carolina. He was actually his military operational specialty was actually electrician. Interestingly, he was stationed for a while, he made sergeant. He was promoted to sergeant. But he had a drinking problem in the Marines, and in fact, he met a female marine who married him just because she saw that he was gonna probably get thrown on the Marines because of his drinking, so she kept him straight. But he at one point in time, was deployed to Okinawa, and in talking to some of his associates, while he was in Okinaw, he'd go out sometimes on weekends and he would exhibit some of his dev and behavior there. He would go meet bar girls, prostitutes in the red light district, take him back to a motel. He'd tie him up to a chair and then abuse him. Now, I don't there's no evidence that he would have killed a woman but over there, but of course we really wouldn't know that. Now, the women didn't report him, probably for a couple of reasons. He was an officer in the Marine Corps. They would have gotten in trouble. So he seemed to have been able to get away with that quite a bit while he was over there. He eventually, though, he did re enlist. One time, he had an a accident in a car or something splashed into his eyes, and I think maybe he decided at that point in time to get out of the Marines. The day that he left the Marines, his wife at the time divorced him.
Speaker 6: Now, some of the deviant behavior that you spoke of, we have to put this because I think it's important, is that he mentioned to he didn't mention any.
Speaker 2: Lucky Land Casino. Asking people, what's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky? Lucky in line at the Delhi I guess ah, in my dentist's office more than once.
Speaker 3: Actually, do I have to say?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 5: You do?
Speaker 2: In the car before my kid's PTA meeting? Really? Yes? Excuse me? What's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky? I never win in tell? Well, there you have it.
Speaker 1: You can get lucky anywhere playing at Lucky Landsloughts dot com.
Speaker 2: Play for free right now? Are you feeling lucky? No, We're just necessary for my law eighteen plus terms. Conditions of pluck sets everydains.
Speaker 5: Step into the world of power, loyal and luck.
Speaker 9: I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse.
Speaker 5: With family, canoli's and spins mean everything.
Speaker 9: Now you want to get mixed up in the family business.
Speaker 5: Introducing The Godfather at Champa Casino dot com. Test your luck in the shadowy world of the Godfather slot.
Speaker 9: Someday I will call upon you to do a service for me.
Speaker 5: Play The Godfather now at Champacasino dot com.
Speaker 10: Welcome to the Family vdW group. No perches necessary.
Speaker 9: If we were previted by loss.
Speaker 2: He terms and conditions eighteenth plus.
Speaker 6: The rape or anything. But he talked about how he enjoyed choking and also when he tied somebody to a chair. What we didn't mention was that there was testimony later that that's something again Anthony Souls saw as a young child.
Speaker 8: He was a sexual sadist. He derived gratification, sexual gratification from seeing women in pain. So that type of personality deviant of prefers to choke their victims because it prolongs the agony and then they can actually watch, you know, the pain. They like to choke them from looking at him so they can actually see the pain. He enjoyed dad, He enjoyed binding women. He wanted to control women. That became kind of interesting from talking to women to escape from him, because it seems in a sense his mother was never there. Whenever he saw his mother, she was leaving, She had three jobs. Is it possible that he was binding women as a way to hold them there? It seems realistic as far as hurting the women. Don't know what he did in Okanawa, but forensic psychiatrists say that generally a person's pattern is pretty consistent, So if he was sexually abusing women here and even killing women here as possibly he was doing it there.
Speaker 6: Certainly. Now let's talk about he did have some problems in the military, but relatively minor compared to his impeccable achievements in the military. And so he was a sergeant when he was discharged. They'll tell us what his transition was like coming back to Cleveland finally from the Marines.
Speaker 8: Okay, I think just to pick up from the Marines. I think his rank outgrew his maturity. He had a drinking problem, and I don't think it was probably difficult for him to find sergeants, you know, his peers to go out drinking with them. So he was drinking with you know, with the privates, and that's round on. So we got in trouble there. So he gets a discharge. They did give him an honorable discharge. He comes home to Cleveland in nineteen eighty five. He served eight years and really at loose ends, didn't really need to work because he he had places to stay.
Speaker 4: So he.
Speaker 8: Came home and whatever deviant behavior he had been exhibiting in Okinawa, he just brought back with him. Now, between in nineteen eighty nine, he went away to prison. However, between nineteen eighty five in nineteen eighty nine, that four year period, there was a series of murders in East Cleveland called the Strawberry Murders, and they found four women discarded bodies shallow graves or just in abandoned houses, who were naked with electrical cords wrapped around them. Of course, very similar to what his his actions were later on. But anyhow, in nineteen eighty nine, when Anthony's soul got arrested and went to prison, those Strawberry murders ended. Now I know the authorities tried to look into that to try to tie him to those, but the East Cleveland Police Department records were shambles, were either not existed or destroyed. They didn't have the records, so then they were never able to pin those murders on him. But some think that possibly that's how he occupied himself when he came home from the Marines. For that four year period. We know he was drinking heavily, so he was not productive when he came home, and makes sense he did not have the structure environment that he had with the Marines. So take an OCD person out of a structured environment, and they become very anxie. They don't know, they don't know how to handle themselves. They almost become a victim of their own idleness, their own desires, whatever those might be. And in his case, they were evil. Of course.
Speaker 6: Now you call them the strawberry murders, are you referring to the term strawberry which this first time I read it was those that trade sex for drugs are called strawberries.
Speaker 8: Correct.
Speaker 6: You just mentioned briefly what it seemed like, the moor or certain circumstances surrounding these murders. What did police did police identify as serial killer at that time? Did they tie in all those murders to one? What was the police official reaction? Was there immediate reaction about that?
Speaker 8: Yeah? Well, East Cleveland is one of the if not the most poverty stricken communities in the nation, and it's really in bad shape. It's just bombed out, it abandoned. The police for the city is in receivership and has been for a long time, so arrily they're not in a position to really investigate crime or even stop crime. So I don't with so many violent crimes in East Cleveland, I just don't know that anybody databased or track these murders in a way that would have led somebody to think they were part of a pattern. And that's we saw that in Cleveland too. Nobody put together these eleven women in this locus, in this hub, disappearing at the same time. So I think the connection between those four women's deaths seemed to have occurred afterwards, after a period of time, and spurred by Anthony Soule's murders, and somebody finally said, well, wait a minute, these four cases all seem like those cases, and then they became collectively the Strawberry murders. But I don't know that there was any real formal investigation into a suspected serial killer at the time. And if I may back up real quick, that was one of the confusing things about Anthony Soul's case. In a conventional serial killing, of course, you know there's a body a period of time, maybe we find another body in a different location a period of time. You know, when you think about you know, the that cliche trucker serial killer, where there's bodies in different areas. Well, we didn't have that in Anthony's case. What we had was a situation where the victims, the crime scene, and the suspect we're all find found at the same time. So in a sense, it was more like a mass murder than a serial killing nobody really put together.
Speaker 10: Go ahead, I'm sorry, you introduce You introduce a character name Asad Sam from a corner store in the same tight neighborhood where right near raised.
Speaker 6: Sausages, which becomes important to the story. And the Imperial House, this former grand looking, bigger home, and this corner store. So tell us what Sam says he observed at that time in terms of the person Anthony Soul was when he was introduced, the kind of character he could kind of deduce from his interactions with him, and the decline he saw and some of the strange behavior he witnessed.
Speaker 8: Anthony. Well, I get we will have to jump he met Anthony after Anthony came out of prison. I don't know if you want me to cover that period of time.
Speaker 4: But.
Speaker 6: Yeah, let's go. Let's go back. I'm sorry, we should really talk about what led the circumstances that led up to obviously his incarceration for the fifteen years, and we talked about he didn't fifteen years, but before that, because I think chronologically it is what is the first report of odor in the neighborhood and what's authorities respond or how do people respond?
Speaker 8: Okay, we'll talk about that real quick. Um. The two thousand and seven, the first neighbors started complaining about the smell of rotting flesh. And Asad we'll call him Sam, his Americanized name is Sam. He noticed it too. I mean, the smell was just horrible. There was a lot of complaints. The building inspector came out, the health inspector came out. Nobody really took too much time to pinpoint it. They blamed it on the sausage factory which is next door to Anthony's house, and in fact, they forced them to put about twenty twenty five thousand dollars of work in sores and grease pits and traps to try to remedy that problem, and it never did. In fact, the sausage factor, the smell was so bad that the sausage factory kept their windows closed to keep the smell out. But the inspectors that came out, which is very perfunctory about it, and Sam. Now the reason why it might have bothered Sam so much is. The theory is that Anthony Anthony will just jump ahead real quick. Here. He had no way to get rid of bodies. He didn't have a car, he had a small backyard. So the thinking is that he might have thrown a body into the Sam's dumpster or the sausage factory's dumpster, and that could have been why the smell was so bad. If I can backtrack a little bit, So Anthony gets out of the Marines in nineteen eighty five, we think there's a possibility that he was committing some murders at that time. In nineteen eighty nine, he kidnapped a woman named Melvett Sockwell, and he took her back to the house in East Clevel where he was living. After he got out of the Marines, he went back to that house in East Cleveland, the big house for his mom raised thirteen kids. He got Melved up to the third floor, stripped her, took her clothes off, duck taped her, raped her over a twenty four hour period, then told her he was going to kill her. He goes, she goes, I'm gonna kill you, but first I'm gonna take a nap. While he was sleeping, she somehow managed to wiggle her way out of the window and sit on the roof and get the attention of neighbors. It was early in the morning, who were going to work, and she was rescued. She did the right thing. She went to the police. She put the time in to file the report and follow it through, and because she was persistent enough to get the police to investigate and believe her. He went away for fifteen years. Now he did do the whole fifthteen years. He could have done less time. He went away for a tempted rape. That's what he pleaded down to. He could have got out early if he would have taken sex offender classes. But in Ohio at that time, you had to self identify as a sex offender in a prison to have access to the classes. Well, of course, you know, the lowest person that tot him poll is a sex offender. So for him to have identified himself as a sex offender would have not only put himself at risk, but him being a marine and knowing how to kill and hand hand combat, it might have created a situation where he might have had to kill somebody in prison to protect himself. So he didn't, so he served the whole fifteen years. He came out of prison in two thousand and five, he moved into that house. His stepmother moved into a nursing home. So now Anthony's got a third, three story house to himself. He was living in an eight by eight cell up to that point. He's got crack dealers on the street. He's got a beverage store up the street that has a constant supply of women walking back and forth. So he was in pretty good shape if he wanted to exercise his predatory desires in that neighborhood, which he did, but before he did, he met a woman named Laurie Frazier. He met her shortly after he got out of prison. Now, Laurie was the niece of Cleveland's mayor, Frank Jackson, very well African American mayor, very well respected in the community. And Anthony, an individual with very low self esteem that needed to be accepted, didn't really have an identity of sorts. He would tell women that he met that he was a chef. Well, his cooking training came from prison, and he was a cook in prison. So now he met a woman he was very enthralled to be going out with the mayor's niece. She was a very she had, by her own admission, she had a raging drug addiction. It was very good for Anthony because now he had to go to work. He had to work a lot of hours to support her drug addiction, which suited his obsessive compulsive disorder. He worked piece work at a rubber factory. I talked to the HR person. He was one of the most productive employees they had. He worked a lot over time. So Anthony his relationship with women, he was literally at their feet. I mean he would serve Lori Fraser breakfast in bed or at their throats if he felt they betrayed him. So a strong woman could have her way with him. So that was a good thing for him. That kept him, you know, that kept him busy for a couple of years. Lorie Fraser left him in the spring of two thousand and seven. What happened is Anthony had a heart attack. He had shoveled some neighbor's driveway. He was always trying to be helpful. Again, he wanted to be liked, he wanted to be respected, so he'd help his neighbors. He was shovling a neighbor's driveway with snow. He had a heart attack, had a pacemaker. Put In tried to go back to work but couldn't, so over that springtime he was of no use to her anymore. He couldn't work, he couldn't support her habit. She left, well, he was devastated. She left in April of two thousand and seven. In May of two thousand and seven, the first of his eleven victims went missing, Crystal Doser. So now his serial killing spree as we know it started shortly after Crystal when missing in May. That's when the neighbors first discovered or first noticed the horrific smell in their neighborhood.
Speaker 6: Okay, so they noticed the smell. He just sort of dropped off up there. He becomes what's important, slightly important to the story too, becomes a metal scrapper because he can't get regular employment. So he's in around for closed buildings, abandoned buildings, and he's hustling to get money. At that time, he even hustled to get crack. So he was ambitious buying drugs for Laurie and and it seems at that point that's when he got the addiction himself again.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he scrapping is quite epidemic in probably probably other areas too, not as Cleveland. But he actually make a lot of money scrapping, pulling wiring out of house and so forth. So he was still Laurie was still coming around. She's still coming around every now and then. But he was driving quite a bit of money. He didn't have to pay any expenses. There's a possibility that some of his stepmother's checks were being diverted. So what happens now is track of course five ten dollars. You know, it's very affordable, as it was designed to be. He gets a reputation for giving away free drugs and being a cool guy to party with. Okay, so he did. Yes, he did get addicted to crack himself when Laurie left him not to be redundant, but again he had no structure, left his own devices. He he really didn't do well at all. So he didn't have to lure anybody, he didn't have to track anybody. He didn't have to course girls to come to his house when they found out he was giving away free drugs. There's literally literally a line outside his door. In fact, he told me that he had to disconnect his doorbell. There were so many women, women that wanted to get in the house to party, so he had, uh, you know, he had a supply of women coming over, and uh, we are fortunate that some women, through their instincts and their bravery, were able to escape from him and when he tried to kill them, and through their stories we find out how his mind works. And generally what he would do is he'd have a woman come over and he would leave something of value on his desk, he you know, his watch or a couple of dollars. He'd leave the room. He'd want to come back, You'd want to see if that was still there, if it wasn't there. In his mind, he had been betrayed, let down, just like his mom had done to him, and now he gave him the license to trigger his rage. And he would go into a rant about how these we have kids at home, and why aren't you home with your kids? Why are you out on the street partying, never mind the irony that he invited them to party, but anyhow, you should be with your kids. He'd go into this whole thing. He'd get in his crazy mode, his heating up mode, and then he would start strangling them. He was strong. They were under the influence of drugs. They weren't expecting it, you know. Unfortunately, in most cases he was successful. He didn't have any way of getting getting rid of bodies. He just started. He stashed them in walls, in the basement, in the backyard, and then at some point in time, I mean, he had so many bodies he had to shut off the third floor and move down to the second floor. He never went to the first floor. When the police went to the first floor, when they finally got in the house, it was as spotless as there was when his stepmother left it. So he continued unabated for over two years. Over two years he was killing women. Now he eventually after a certain period of time, you know, the women talked on the street, and he did get her reputation as being rough than a person that couldn't be trusted, and you know, maybe even dangerous. But it did not stop women from coming over to the house. In fact, one woman, Tany, a woman named Tany, he tried choked her and then he finally lost interest in her. Because if a woman didn't show fear, he lost interest. He let her go. She left. She had marks in her next she told her friend Nancy Cobbs, look what that psycho did to me. Well, Nancy never indicated that she even knew to Anthony Souel. The next day, though, Nancy went to the house to party, and she was never seen again. So the lure of the drug, the craving for crack, dictated these women's actions. At one point in time, there was probably six dead bodies in that house and women were still going in the house to party. In fact, I was you know, I asked the women. Didn't She ask him about the smell, and he would make up a story that he his mother, his stepmother was there and she was cooking, and she was a bad cook. But they really didn't care. They were there for the drugs. They knew what they were going into when they got in there, and some of them came out.
Speaker 6: You hear the story of Sorry, you include the story of Tanya Dos. It's interesting because it really probably typically how he operated. He said that they were playing cards. He invited her to a barbecue. I was beer and food and he was cooking. He had been to her family's home, so they weren't strangers. And then at night they went in he suck watching football game, I believe, and he showed her something he had bought Laurie again, say he was off and on with Laurie, but something innocent, and he flipped out and said things like I could I could kill any crackhead bitch and uh and no one would give a give a damn basically, you know. And then yet the next day like he acted like nothing had happened.
Speaker 8: He he had that what they call it heating up cooling down period of a killer, this type of killer, with this psychopathology. It's possible that she said something to trigger him. She might have been angry that he was still seeing Laurie and she threatened to leave him, probably something like that. It's probably threatened to leave him, and that set him off. He couldn't stand being abandoned and left alone and being betrayed by women. These women, clearly they were all proxies for his mother. He hated his mother, Tanya. The women I talked to, they're very interesting though. To be able to survive on the street neighborhood at the mercy of pimps and drug dealers and the felons that they associate with, they had to be smart. They had to be very instinctive. And you know, when you talk to these women, I was very impressed by them. They know they don't have that platform of education. They don't have that, you know, that core of upbringing maybe that other people have. But their street smarts were incredible, and the smart ones intuited that this guy was nuts. The ones who survived, don't give in, don't show fear. He'll let you go, and he did. And Tanya was one of those people. So she got away.
Speaker 3: And it doesn't make sense to break up with your one and only unless you're fall in for something saucier, something crispy, southern breading, and one extra ingredient, something that makes you tasteful, its tingle. Yeah, it's time to dump your old wings and get a new honey, a lemon type of wing from Bobba's. And if that's not your type, don't worry. We've got five other flavor. So sauntered down to Popa's and get a six piece, which is five ninety nine. We don't make sense. We make chicken chicken from at participating in US restaurants. Price may vary.
Speaker 8: He would go back to normal because Anthony, I guess, like any deviants to talk to him on the phone. I think I talked to about eight to ten times. There's no indication that this guy was any less rational than you or I. There had to be certain triggers that set him off, but for that majority of the time when he was a normal, highly functuring person, you couldn't tell. Just during that small percentage of time when he was exercising against devians that he was so he'd go back to being normal, and nobody knew. I mean at some point, I mean, I mean, this is a very important part of this book. I think too. The community was very angry after these serial killings, and they criticized the police, mostly in the city, for not doing something about it. But realistically, you know, and they said, the suburbs, if this would have if eleven women went missing in a suburb, affluent suburb, the police would have been on it. Well, of course they would have, But in that neighborhood, nobody was relating to the police what was going on. There were women running from his house screaming, there were naked women falling out of windows. The word on the street was he was a killer. No, they were telling each other, They weren't telling the police. Without that front line of defense of the community's eyes and ears, the police just didn't have much to go on. And that was a huge missing link in this in this story that the community because they were afraid of being a snitch. And honestly, he was giving drugs away people. I don't know whether people were bird dogging women for him. That probably wasn't necessary, but he was giving drugs away to some of the neighbors around him, so they certainly didn't want to see that supply drugs go. So that was a very important component in this case that the a the neighborhood wasn't telling the police what was going on. And then secondly, when some of the family members did try to go report their loved ones missing, the police were reluctant to take those missing reperson reports. Technically, an adult can't go missing. We can disappear anytime we want. So in a cash strapped city with somewhat jaded police department, they're going to allocate their resources towards looking for missing children, not looking for missing adults who have a history of disappearing on the streets for a couple of weeks at a time. And that was an another factor in how this crime speed went on for so long.
Speaker 6: Now, let's talk about Latundra Billups and fascinatingly, Soul met her through his former girlfriend, Laurie Fraser, unbelievably, but Latundra Billups, she's thirty six years old. Tell us about this and the police response, tell us about this? Okay.
Speaker 8: Even writing this book, there's a lot of challenges in writing this book, and one of them was trying to find a sympathetic character, trying to find somebody that a reader could identify with. And the only heroic figure I could really come up with in this book other than a woman named Gladys Waye, but even more than her was Latundra. And Latundra men Anthony. She willingly, by her own mission, went to party with them. She was a woman who had a pretty good life, stayed upbringing, nice mother, caring mother, and got hooked up on crack. Got hooked on crack. So she's partying with Anthony. Everything's going well, and all of a sudden he gets crazy. He wraps the cord around her, and he prolongs it. He prolongs the agony. He keeps choking her until the brink of unconsciousness. Releasing the cord doing it again. So he really tortured the poor woman. So at one point in time she was blacking out and she just felt this is it. Her last thoughts before she Presumablelio was dying, was of herth children. She thought of her children. A couple hours later, she wakes up. I mean, she's surprised that she's alive. She looks up and he's sitting in a chair next to her, smoking a cigarette. He was surprised she was alive. Now she wasn't afraid because she sensed that he wasn't angry anymore. He'd already got off, he already got his gratification. So he took her down to the basement, gave her a shirt to wear home, asked her if she's going to come back, and you know, of course, she's, yeah, sure I'll come back. But what she did, she did the right thing. She contacted the police. She was a crack addict. The last thing she wanted to do was go down to the police headquarters, sit there for five hours amongst police to make a report. She probably had warrants. She didn't want to do that, but it took a month, but she did that. She did the right thing, and because of her that crime speed was eventually stopped. The city for some reason, took a month to get a search warrant. In that period of time, Anthony was still operating, he got a woman named Sean Morris up to his house. They partied. She was naked, real street smart, like Litundra. It was a hot day. She was recognized. She here's some shutting windows and locking windows in the house. She thought, this can't be good. She kicks out the screen. She's gonna jump out the second floor window. He runs in, he sees or He tries to pull her in. He can't. He starts banging on her fingers to break her fingers, wanting her to drop hard because there is concrete between his house and the sausage factory. She falls, She fractures her skull, breaks some ribs. She's laying their naked. She's a bigger woman. He runs downstairs. She tries to half carry, half drag her back into the house. A guy who owns some rental property in the neighborhood's driving by. He sees people gathered in that little alleyway with her cellphones taking pictures, so he stops, Well, what everybody was taking pictures of was this naked wounded woman being dragged by a naked man into a house? So he calls nine. He yields the kids to get out of there. He calls nine one one. She goes to the hospital. She's in a calma for a week. She wakes up. She goes, I gotta call my husband. She was married. The nurse says, your husband wrote in the ambulance with you. Well, that was Anthony's soul.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 8: In spite of all this, Sean Morris never made a police report. She refused to cooperate. So now it's even more important that the Tundra filed her complaint. So October twenty ninth, two thousand and nine. Because Anthony Soul had a previous violent sex offense, the sex crimes detectives had swat. They called Cleveland Swat Team to accompany them to conduct the war. To execute the warrant, they go through the house, room by room by room. They get to the third floor. There's towels under the door, clearly to keep smelling or out. Push the door open. There's two bodies. They seal off the premises to preserve the evidence called homicide in the meantime, the neighbor, Debbie Madison, hears right away that there's two dead bodies in the house. Well, she liked Anthony, he had fixed her sing first several times. Well, she assumed that one of the bodies was his. So she gets in the car and she drives to Tressa Garrison's house to give her the bad news. For years about it on the news, that your brother's dead. Well, she knocks on the door and there's Anthony sitting on the couch playing video games. She's thinking, there's two dead bodies in your house. You're here playing video games. Something's not right. So Trissa had talks. She doesn't voice this, but Tressa talks her into driving Anthony back to the house because Anthony is going to clear this up, as he says. So we get to the house and Anthony, of course jumps out of the car and we don't see him again. It took two days to capture him. Halloween Day and nine police picked him up, and even then he almost talked his way out of being arrested. He said he was somebody else, but when confronted with a little bit of evidence, he said, this is as close as he came to confessing, he said, yeah, I'm the guy you're looking for, and he never really said anything more incriminating than that. He did apologize at one time during the trial, but he never said what he was apologizing for. So that's finally I think because of La Tundra we the crime spree was stopped.
Speaker 6: Now you describe in great detail what police discover in the home. Initially they find the body, so he can tell us about that, but tell us about the state of decomp in that they didn't know the gender, the color, they didn't erased gender, They didn't really know much. So tell us about the initial discovery and what they discovered with more investigation.
Speaker 8: Bad decomposes. We all turned black, we turned leathery and black fat dissolves, So they didn't know what they had there. So what they did the coroner put out a call to the community, Hey, anybody, if you got any loved ones missing, come on in donate some DNA. We'll try to match them up and see if these people are the victims that you're missing ones. Well, they couldn't get anybody to do that because the community was afraid that their DNA samples were going to be used to tie them to previous crimes or even future crimes. So it took a while. Even though we had DNA, it took several months to get to get everybody id'd. They all shared the same common characteristics, black females with criminal histories drug abuse, who had a tendency to disappear for weeks at a time. So I don't know that he necessarily picked that profile to prey on, but that's who he matched up with. And because eleven bodies were found at one time, we'll actually ten bodies and one victim skull. They never found the Torso yeah, there was quite a bit of anger, resemblement, frustration voiced towards the city and the police department. And that did nothing, of course to close that trust gap that it existed for decades. But looking back on it again, where we didn't have a community that was really forthcoming with information, now you.
Speaker 6: Talk about somewhat cauplicated as well. The identification of the bodies because they had to use mitochondrial DNA because of the decomposition, smaller sample made it more difficult. In the end, they did do identification, but tell us about the other areas where they did do the search and did find bodies. You did mention a little bit, but.
Speaker 8: They yeah, they found well, when the swat came in, they found two bodies upstairs. Then they found a disturbed ay of dirt in the basement. He had a dirt basement, so they suspected body was down there. They were correct. They brought in dogs, They brought in cadaver dogs, and the dogs got hits on the walls, so they pulled drywall down. They found bodies in there, just concealed bodies. They found shallow graves with bodies there. Clearly he had taken pains to cover up his work, which when he tried to defense of sanity, that knocked it right out of the ballpark, of course, because you could he was obviously in his right mind if he was trying to cover up his work. They did a painstaking grid search. It looked like an archaeological site in the backyard. And this is a very big case in Cleveland and actually nationally too, so there was quite a bit of There was helicopters, there were reporters camped out in neighbors houses on the roofs, shooting, shooting photographs, video down at the scene. So it was a big case, and ultimately they brought in infrared heats detectors to search in the walls, the wall cavities to see if there were other bodies, and they're pretty sure they got all of them. So of the eleven victims, moving forward a little bit here, If you want me to back up, I will. But ten of the families request I said that the prosecutor did not take not seek the death penalty. They didn't want to go to trial, they didn't want to relive this. They wanted him to accept a plea bargain of life without parole. But big case, high profile, ended up spending a million dollars taking him to trial to get a conviction.
Speaker 6: Let's go back to the police interview. You say that he's never really said much, but he did. We had a litany of excuses at some point, So tell us about the police interview. Obviously asked for a lawyer at some point, but tell us what he does say in the police interview.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Well, the tapes, the police tapes about eight hours of interviews are interesting because you see an ultran narcissist at work. I mean, here's a guy who was so narcissistic. He wanted the world to see him the way he saw himself. It was never his fault. There was always somebody else's fault. Even in the interviews he's accusing you know, the women of lying or their families of lying. I mean, it's anybody's fault but his own. And then when they finally pin him down and put him in a position where he has to admit that he was there, he creates his alter ego, this fake persona called Arnie. Ronie talked to him. Arnie made him do this. So even then, like any narcissist, I guess, he couldn't take accountability, He couldn't turn a spotlight on himself. So also interesting from those tapes because it went on for so long, the teams of detectives were taking turns, and you can see the different the different how the different approaches worked on him, you know, the bullying, making friends with him, which really seemed to work best, because this is a guy that wanted to be loved. Never very cagey. I think he almost enjoyed. He thought he was leading him on a cat and mouse chase. I think never really came out and said he did it. But if he did it, they deserved it. Interestingly, there really was no direct evidence that Anthony Soul did this crime. It was all circumstantial. That was a little bit of a challenge for the prosecutor to prove that only he had keys to the house and only he had access to the house, because one of their defenses was, how do you know Anthony did it? Maybe someone just dragged these bodies over and buried him in his yard.
Speaker 6: Now part of the reason to sway the to sway the jury, influenced the jury and tell the jury the actual truth. The prosecution brought a witness name last name Gay one victim that got away, and I believe Sean Morris as well. So tell us what was gained by despite again the issue with that people have, courts have and this bears out initially in this story about credibility. So tell us what the witnesses that the prosecution chose to put on the witness stand and what was the gist of what they had to say. For the prosecution.
Speaker 8: Well, you know, of course, with the States, we have an adversarial system of courtroom procedure, and that really came out very clearly in this trial. Sean Morris, good example, they brought her up. She had cases, she had some some other criminal cases. So in trading away those cases for testimony, a lot of them did. Defense attorney had the same approach with every woman in that testified against Anthony. They'd say, how do you did you? Were you hearing voices at this time? Were you hallucinating? Maybe you were hallucinating this all happened, well, of course the woman would get mad. Sean Morris got very angry, uttered of vulgarity, wanted to leave the stand because the women knew where they were going with this line of questioning, this, this counter they were because every one of the women had applied for Social Security disability ink of it one time, and they all their grounds forgetting what was all that there were either schizophrenic or bipolar, manic, depressive rather because you can't really it's very hard to prove that somebody doesn't have those conditions. So and some of the symptoms, of course, are auditory and visual hallucinations. So the defense attorney was just using their own words against them, and I don't think he thought that was going to hold up, but it was just a way of he had to do something right. So the trial, those are some of the more dramatic moments. Now, Vanessa Gay, very well spoken, very attractive, a very very compelling witness, partied with Anthony a long period of time. He raped her at some point in time. He liked her. I think he personally liked her though, from what I can tell. He let her go to the bathroom. She's walking down the bathroom on the second floor of his house and she looks into an empty room and she's his a headless body. We think that was the body that belong to the skull in the basement. But anyhow, she somehow manages to maintain her cool not to panic. He loses interest in killing her instead decides he wants her as a girlfriend, so he lets her go. Now, you know, her story gets a little complicated here. She said she contacted the police, and maybe she did. They don't have a record of it. She says she got the around so she didn't follow up on it. That's possible too. But after she didn't go to the police, another six women died. But in any event, she finally came forward.
Speaker 6: And she.
Speaker 8: I mean, I don't know, I maybe she did. I'm not saying she did or she didn't. But the facts are six women died after she was attacked. So she again very very well spoken, very compelling. The jury was very moved by her testimony. She left and I'm sorry, I don't even know where I was going with that. I apologize. I go ahead, no, so go ahead. That was probably the testimony that really sealed it for the jury because she was so so able to articulate the terror that she felt and the victimization that she felt. And she was a lady who had a job, she had an education, and she just succumbed to crack and she was living on the streets. I mean, she abandoned her children to live on the streets in the same clothes, with no toilet facility and no definite place to sleep every night, at the prey of miscreants. I mean, that really brought her story, really brought it home to me, the just the utter addictive quality of crack cocaine. I mean, what mother would leave her kids, you know, to live on the streets.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, you do talk. We just want to backtrack a little bit because you did throw this monkey wrench in there a little bit, and that you talked about the media sort of discrediting the police, account that she had not made a police report, and in the media. In your book, you say that the media did discover a police report. So tell us.
Speaker 8: Explain that for me. I, well, the police were on the defense of almost immediately.
Speaker 1: I mean.
Speaker 8: One of one of the things that was interesting is the police chief at the time made an announcement that, hey, you know, only two families of the eleven filed missing person reports. Well that's true, chief, but that's because you wouldn't let uh six other ones file a report. You wouldn't take the report. So you know that the story was getting spun quite a bit. I don't know, excuse me. I don't know what transpired between Vanessa. I know she's a very caring person and she wouldn't want anybody to go through what she went through. And it's possible that she was so trying commatized by this experience that she just didn't want to recount it for the police. Maybe she thought it was a one off, Maybe she didn't know that he was praying on other people. But in any event, she says she called the police. The police say she did, The media said she did. I don't know that that one's up for discussion. She knows.
Speaker 6: Tell us about tell us about the DNA sample that was taken. And as you talk about in the book, this could have been determined in seven to ten days. Instead it took tell us about how long it took. What happened with the DNA the snaffhoo, the DNA snaffhoo.
Speaker 8: A woman came forward. She lived in a neighboring community called Cleveland Heights, and when the story broke about Anthony Sowel, she came forward and said, this is exactly what happened to me. Everything he did to these women, he did to me. She gave a rape is a rape kid actually, I think we're talking about a rape kit here. Gave the rape kit, which would have contained his DNA, you know, from a sperm sample, to the Cliven Heights police. They never forwarded it to the crime lab. It sat in somebody's desk drawer for two years.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 8: Anthony sols DNA was on file because he was a prisoner. He would it would have been sample taken from him when he entered the prison system. So if the police department would have forwarded it that rape kid to the lab, they would have found the DNA presumably and this wouldn't have happened. But that never happened, and instead of saying yeah, we grooped up, we didn't transfer it the police. This is maybe the part of the story that I personally maybe felt a little passionate about, was the police chief of that community went into deny mode and said, well, you know, we will forward all evidence from a sex crime. Well, clearly on the folder it was marked sex crime. So he didn't do that, tried to blame it on the crime lab. The crime lab director said, nope, we didn't get it. He didn't. He did the right thing to, you know, to not to be monotonous here, but he did the right thing. He just denied what the police chief said. So, I mean, this probably, like a lot of crimes like this, there's a confluence of factors of errors, of missed opportunities that come together to allow something like this to happen. And in Anthony's case, there were a lot of those factors. When he got out of prison in two thousand and five in Ohio, he had to take he had to be interviewed to determine if he was a sexual predator, to be classified. If he was, there was some very strict requirements he had to abide by. Well, the interview was just him talking to a psychologist. There was no background check, there was no confirmation of anything Anthony told him. Well, he lied his way through that whole interview. Consequently, he was putting the lowest sexual offender tear. He only had to report self report once a year, and he didn't have to notify his neighbors that he was a violent sex offender. So there was a lot of just a lot of errors, a lot of little red possibilities that led to the conditions that were conducive for him to perpetuate his crime.
Speaker 6: One of the more horrific aspects in the story is again that the psychological tech head and the psychologists and psych I addressed determined he was only a six percent risk of reoffending sexually.
Speaker 8: I thought that was good, Yeah, that's I had a psychologist actually kind of discount that. The significance of that. He kind of spun it in terms of six percent as compared to the universe of sex offenders. So I see what he was saying. But in any event, they didn't They had no idea. They missed the boat, completely missed the boat on what this guy was up to. Maybe he was a budgetary thing. If he says he's not looking at porn, if he's not using computers for sexual purposes, if he's not drinking and going to strip clubs, maybe they don't have the money to send an investigator determine if that's true. But all those things were true, and if he would have admitted it, or if they would have discovered it, it would have kicked him into a higher classification, a higher tier of sex offender.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and things would have been much different. We will skip through the trial a little bit because we've alluded to it. Obviously he was sentenced. Obviously the defense went through the motions of vigorous defense, but they didn't in the end call any witnesses. So they just did a vigorous cross examination of a lot of people, including sadly, some of the near victims that were brave enough and have to go up and on the stand and be subjected to that cross examination. So let's get to your interview with Anthony Soul. How you came to be able to interview him, and what tell us about that.
Speaker 8: I think I got to him because I was possibly the first person who tried his narcissism. I believe actually helped me because he wanted to you want to straight something out. He wanted to straight straighten out some information that as you know, when newspapers reporters are writing stories, they generally tend to pull boiler plate background and insert it in the story in future stories. And some of that boiler play material was the fact that he had gotten he had gotten two commendations in the Marine Corps. So he said, you know, everybody's got you know, got my story screwed up. I want to get straightened out. When he finally talked to me, I goes, sure, what do you want to straighten out? He goes, I got three commendations, not two commendations. That's what he That was his big concern at that time. Now, as we talked, he was very engaging, very amiable. Had to talk for he guarded. Had to talk for a while, you know, to to really get any for him to drop any clues or any indicators of who he really was. But what I got out of it was he had a very difficult relationship with his mother. He had very difficult relationship with women in general. He was no threat to men. He seemed to get along with men for the most part. He just had a love hate affair with women that was very extreme. He showed no remorse. Even when I said, well, let's say you didn't do it. How do you feel about these women that died? He audibly shrug. I think the fact that they weren't at home with their kids and they were doing drugs made them undesirable in his mind. And then in the end, when he realized that, you know, I was kind of a broken record. I just wanted him to own up to something. He you know, the things started dying down for me. He was he's trying to scam. He's a hustler, he's a narcissist. He gets pleasure out of manipulating people. That wasn't working with me. I couldn't possibly put money on his account. I looked like a group being, you know, insensitive. So finally, when it came down to what I thought would be our last conversation, I said it, you know, Anthony, if you did this, why what would you tell readers about why you did it? And he said, very quickly, abused children grow up. I tend to think he was being you know, somewhat genuine there. I think he maybe he wasn't applying that to his case, but he believes that to be true.
Speaker 6: Go ahead.
Speaker 8: I was also interested in how a guy on death row spends his days because you're you're isolated, just segregated from main population and in solitary confinement, and he hits a lot of letters. Told me he was getting at that time, he was getting about a hunting letters a month, which he called fan mail from them. And he was also upset because he said they took away his supplies, and that wasn't quite sure what he meant by supplies, and these conversations they tend to be rushed, so you know, I didn't want to get I had to keep moving. But what I found out was he meant his art supplies. There's sites on the internet murder Abelia sites that will sell our work from notorious criminals and memorabilia from them too, And he was doing drawings and artwork and shipping it out and they were selling it for him on websites. So that's he was upset about that that he couldn't continue that enterprise.
Speaker 6: What we didn't mention too, is that you had asked you had asked this question about le Chandra, I believe his body, and he said, well, you're going to have to put that. I've got some items for you to buy first before we talk about that.
Speaker 8: The chenre right, the chenre was they Andre's skull and a bus bucket in the basement. Talked to her parents quite a while, real nice people, real broken up. They wanted to give her a proper funeral. He Anthony, tell me where the Chandra's remains are, and he said, sure, for three hundred dollars. There was a list of items that he wanted to buy for me MP three players art supplies that I was supposed to buy for him and put on his account. And you know, everything's recorded in prison, the calls and transactions, so of course I couldn't do that. And that was well, that was not the last call conversation. Actually had a couple more after that. The calls started getting very interesting. I don't know how much time we have, but I aired in judgment once and told one of his defense attorneys that I talked to Anthony and he just stared at me, and I thought, oh, that wasn't good. Sure enough, ten minutes later, Anthony got a call from his new appeals attorneys telling him not to talk to me. Well, Anthony turned around and called me and he said he was laughing. He said, you know attorneys, attorneys who's laughing? He said, what's up with them? And they told him, don't talk to this writer. We got an appeal going. And then they said, however, we do have a writer on the staff that we'd like to talk to you when it's time to write a book. So he found that humorous. I had another story, Cameron, what it was, but one.
Speaker 6: Of the most profound. One of the most profound stories was one of the victims, Kim Yvette Smith, and her father was in a wheelchair, made it to the trial, made an impact statement and tell us about this. This has got to be one of the more profound moments. What did he say and what did happen a few weeks later?
Speaker 8: You know, I think one of the real tragedies of the story was the family members left behind, not just left behind, but the family who of their family while they were while they were in the throes of their addiction. These women were loved, but at a certain point in time the family just couldn't have them around. They were stealing, they were disorderly, there were a bad influence. They had to let him go. Well, Donald Smith was one of those guys. He just couldn't He just couldn't have his daughter around. He was in a wheelchair, he had a stroke and he gave a victim impact statement to the court and he looked at Anthony he said, you know you killed me when you killed my daughter. You killed me. Very compelling, And two weeks later Donald Smith died of a heart attack. And that way, he wasn't the only family member to die shortly. Tanya Carmichael, her sister, died two weeks later. Mom says, of a broken heart.
Speaker 6: What's fun you've included again to me, there's still aesthetic stories in terms of the victims had such sad lives. You have a couple of the victims, the victims that were raped had already had bad expuse with reporting these rapes. Please, So when they were attacked by Anthony Saul, he said, you know, they were hesitant.
Speaker 8: And Tanya Dows have been raped. Her rapist got out of jail before she got out of the hospital. So what's the point. They're not gonna believe me. They're either not gonna believe me, they're going to use my criminal history against me, or I'm now I'm just gonna be targeted for victimization by the guy that me because I because I filed the police report, they were disincentivized from reporting the violence against them.
Speaker 6: It's though Anthony's Soul, though, pick the perfect victims, so he really did pick some of the saddest stories, the saddest cases that he could find. It's an incredible story that some of these girls that were impregnated at thirteen years of age and then just a litany of bad experiences before they met Anthony Soul and afterwards.
Speaker 8: Crystal Dozer thirteen years old, they had a boyfriend who's twenty one. He would go pick her up at middle school, take her to housing projects where he would pimper for drug money, and then beat her lesslie. Mom tried to do something about it. The brothers tried to do something about it, but she kept going back to the guy she meets, Anthony Souel. Anthony could be very much a gentleman. I mean, the in that community. He was a former marine, he played chess, he was a cook. They liked him. I mean, not a bad looking guy. He couldn't you know, met a woman and had a conventional relationship. But she met him. He seemed nice. For a while, the family was happy because it seemed like she wasn't on drugs. But in the end, I mean, she just became one of his victims. She had again, another woman who had a horrible life and then a horrible death. Go ahead, I'm sorry.
Speaker 6: No, I'm sorry to go ahead.
Speaker 8: Eleven. I believe the eleven women left behind sixty five children of various ages. She left behind two kids, really really nice kids. Really my one daughter who was a nurse, a son who was a police officer. They were very empathetic and understanding of their mom's addiction, of her illness, but they had to even they had to cut off contact with her at a certain point. These women, when they would go to get rehabilitation treatment, they'd go for twenty eight days, get cleaned up, they'd leave, they'd go right back to the same neighborhood. In a lot of cases, Sean Morris, I go to interview Sean Morris. We're sitting in her garage with me, her and her husband, Doug, big guy, a nice guy. Big I'm not.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 8: She told me she had a crack habit that cost her two hundred dollars a day, So I said, how old could you possibly afford that? Well? What a need naive question, right. She looked at me like I was dumb, and then I got it. I mean she was prostituting herself. So I had, you know, I had to get a confirmation on that. I said, what were you? And she goes, you know, she used you know, I canna say what she said, but yeah, she was prosting herself. And I kept looking at the husband, thinking, Wow, maybe I'm going a little too far here. But then I realized that's who put her out there. That's who sent her out on the street, because that's the only thing left to barter her to get the drugs that he wanted too. So in a lot of cases, these women, the men in their life let them down.
Speaker 6: One other sad aspect, and its hammered home in this book was his sister, Anthony's sister Tressa, trying to defend him at trial and really working in the prosecutor say, before we wrap this up, tell us just about.
Speaker 8: That classic case of somebody talking too much. Comedy of errors. They were the prosecutors were not allowed to bring in Anthony's previous acts they thought would prejudiced the jury. Of course clean flate. So they bring her in. And when Melvet Sockwell in nineteen eighty nine escaped under the third floor out of that window under the roof, keep that in mind. Tresta was talking about Anthony and the defense attorney prosecutor was saying, well, why do you think Anthony's innocent? You know, she goes, all these women are lying. She said, even that, even at woman Malvett that trailed out the window, she was just there to steal his drugs. She opened up the door. Now for the prosecutor to ask about that situation. Now, they didn't bulldozer on it. They played it very smart. They said, oh, drugs, yeah, he was selling marijuana right, well they knew it was crack probably, And she goes, no, it was crack. Well, now now you have the fact that he's involved with crack, the fact that he really did bind and a woman in the past, that he was a sexual offender. I mean, it all came out and literally I glanced at the defense one of the defense attorneys, he threw his pencil up in the air. I mean it was over. There was one other situation. One of the things she said that unintentionally really hurt him. She was trying to help him. She was trying to she came up in the mitigation phase to show that he was a good brother. She was trying to lend some form of worth and humanity to him. And they said, give us an example. She said that when she was, you know, junior high or high school, a girl was getting smart with her. Anthony walked right up to her, stuck up for her sister, and he punched that girl in the face. Well, Tresa then looked at Anthony and said, I love my brother, and a plain dealer. Photographer caught a little tear coming down from Anthony's eye at that point, the only emotion he really showed. But now we have her saying Anthony exhibited violence towards towards women at a young age. So she didn't help at all. But as many times as I talked to her, I really enjoyed talking to her. She is very entertaining and very bright. Right lady. I think she had eight nine kids of her own. They those kids in that house. One of the reasons I think they were having the girls were trying to have kids is they wanted to get out of that house. They wanted to get away from that madhouse, and there weren't There are only a couple of ways to get out, either run away, and they were just going to be brought back or get pregnant, hopefully go live with somebody. So I think that was her approach.
Speaker 6: Now, just to wrap this up, where is he's on death row? Tell us where he is imprisoned, and.
Speaker 8: Ohio's death row is in Chili Coothe Ohio runs on average about thirteen years between conviction and actual execution of a sentence, so he's going through his automatic appeals. It'll be a while before he is executed. He says, he reads the Bible. He contacted me several months ago. He wanted to write a book. But I mean, unless he's going to admit to what he did, what what? I didn't see much value in that. But he keeps busy. He says, he reads the Bible, does his artwork, and he answers letters. He still gets letters, still gets letters from women. Says they either want to marry him or save him.
Speaker 6: Does he know of your book and what has he said about the writing of it or has he seen the finished product or heard about it.
Speaker 8: His attorney. His attorney sent him a copy. Actually, I think his attorney brought a copy. I don't think he's allowed to have the book. They're not allowed to have these kind of books in prison. He brought the book and then he read some of the passages to him And I talked to Anthony after that, and he didn't. He didn't seem to upset. In fact, I would have thought he would have been, but he was okay with it. He didn't feel like I sandbagged them. He enjoyed the publicity.
Speaker 6: That's what I was gonna says, fit in with his narcissistic behavior traits. Why not? It's maybe it's not exactly what he wanted, but hey, somebody's writing about him. Yeah.
Speaker 8: Well I came away. My takeaway from this whole thing was don't do crack number one, and secondly, stay away from narcissists. They can rationalize their behavior anyway they want to.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, I want to thank you for coming on and talking about House of Horrors, the shocking true story of Anthony Soul for those that might want to find out more. Do you have a website? Do you do Facebook? How people learn more or contact you.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Both. Website is my name, it's www. Robert Sperna dot com. Facebook, same way, S B E R N A. And I do enjoy discussing the case. So I thank you very much, very enjoyable talking with you. I appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Well, Thank you very much, and you have a great evening.
Speaker 8: Thank you, Dan, you too.
Speaker 6: Good night.