Speaker 1: Welcome to Buckeyes tomorrow morning for Wednesday, July twenty ninth, I'm your host, tom Or the.
Speaker 2: Ball State game in thirty eight days. The Gaming es fisially in one hundred and twenty two days.
Speaker 1: We're sponsored today by our friends at Jeffruby's Columbus probably offering nationally acclaimed USDA Prime stakes, seafood and sushi, and peckable service, live entertainment, and an attention to detail that is simply unmatched. Just go to Jeffrey dot com slash Columbus to check out the menu and make a reservation today. So day two of Big ten media days in the books, it's just kind of wrapping up behind us right now.
Speaker 2: That was Ohio State Day.
Speaker 1: We got a chance to talk to Ryan Dave, We got a chance to talk to Julian Saying, we got a chance to talk to Jeremiah Smith, and we got a chance to talk to Jaylen McClean. I am joined by Marcus Hartman of puck Onsiders dot com. Marcus was on the Jayalen McLean beat today. All these things were happening basically at the same time, so we had to sort of divide and conquer. So I have not actually heard a whole lot about what Jayalen McClain talked about. If you want to hear about Julian Saying and Jeremiah Smith, I can tell you about Jeremiah Smith. You'll hear about that on the Buckeye Weekly Podcast feed. Tony can tell you about Julian Saying. You'll hear about that on the Buck Eye Weekly podcast feed. We're gonna talk Jayleen McLain on this show. So let's start with the I think the obvious question with the safeties. So Caleb Downs doesn't live here anymore, how do you how do you deal with not having Caleb Downs in the defense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what's funny.
Speaker 4: McClain's kind of like the other guy here. And he was sort of like the other guy on the defense last year. He had all these first round draft picks and and but he was out there just being a steady, you know, first year starter. And so now he's, you know, as college football tends to do, he's the guy who is now going to be in the spotlight. Except for today, he was overshadowed by the quarterback and the number one receiver. But he was interesting. Basically, I think the gist of it, the one sentence thing would be, they're not gonna have the two sentences. I guess it will be they're not going to have another. They're not going to try to make anybody into the new Caleb Downs.
Speaker 3: He feels like, you know.
Speaker 4: They'll be able to cast everybody sort of in that role collectively, whereas they probably really did tailor a lot of things. There were a lot of plays where it was kind of set up to everybody else get blocked and we'll let Caleb take care of things. And they're not going to do that anymore, probably at least in the city. Feels like, you know that these all the guys that they have are versatile enough that they can kind of they can play in different roles, and even if they all have a specialty, none of them are going to be maybe that all around playmaker that he was.
Speaker 1: And in terms of making plays, Jalen McClain has made a lot of plays in his career, but he has not, as far as I know, had an interception.
Speaker 2: Is that's what he said.
Speaker 3: I didn't check him.
Speaker 2: I would assume he.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't have very many interceptions.
Speaker 4: As a team, I feel like, uh so for a defense that was as good as they were, so I assumed he.
Speaker 3: Was telling the truth.
Speaker 2: Is that something that sort of like sticks in his craw? Is that a real point of emphasis for him this year?
Speaker 3: That's what he said. Yes, he wants to make sure he gets that taken care of.
Speaker 4: I think that causing turnovers is probably something they want to do a little more of overall. I sometimes it's bad luck they caused some fumbles last year that they didn't recover and maybe and he's a guy who made some big hits and and could do that too. So yes, so that you know, back again, he was very good today. He was you know, he was thoughtful and you could tell that. You know, he's taking very seriously the role of being a leader and expanding.
Speaker 3: What he did.
Speaker 4: But he's got he feels he came across like he's got some confidence in what he has done so far. I think he's in a good place mentally from that standpoint, but certainly wants to do a lot more.
Speaker 1: Well, someone else who's going to be doing a lot more this year is Devin Sanchez. He is taking over no more. Davis, Enigmuenosen, Jim and Matthews back at one corner spot. Devin Sanchez was like kind of the dime last year, but I mean really saw him very right at the beginning of the last season and just continue.
Speaker 2: To play a bigger and bigger roles as he's went along.
Speaker 1: He is someone who feels like he's taking on a potentially big, big, big role this year.
Speaker 2: What is Jalen McLain. What did he have to say about Devin.
Speaker 3: Sanchiz And he said he likes where he has.
Speaker 4: He expects him to be one of the best cornerbacks in the country. When you've got that ability that the natural ability has being a five star guy and that with some experience, you know, he felt like he's he's really going to him into his zoom. So he was definitely raving about him.
Speaker 1: One of the other guys that I know we've heard a lot of people rave about is Earl Little. He will be playing alongside Jalen McClain in the in the secondary.
Speaker 2: He's going to be kind of filling.
Speaker 1: That nickel role that was filled by Lorenzo Styles Junior last year.
Speaker 2: He's someone who I remember Jeremiah Smith.
Speaker 1: We've told this story on podcasts a couple times over the course of the year, but Jeremiah Smith like had to take a second to like think about how much he wanted to say about Earl Little, and it was not like, well, there's bad stuff, It was like, how good do I want to tell them this guy is? So I'm going to guess Jalen McLain probably has been glowing things just about Earl Little as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he said, you know, he's looking forward to him.
Speaker 4: He's the physical guy, He's the guy who's going to come in and he's also like the energetic and the loud, maybe the leader of the secondary. From a traditional what do you think of raw Row leadership standpoint, Jalen said he and Terry Moore. He sees both of them as being more lead by example guys, although Jalen is working on being more vocal and expanding his role from that standpoint. But yeah, it talks about you know, Little being a guy who is very physical, always around the ball and really kind of has a knack for just playing that playmaker safety right. I mean, he could be a poor man's Caleb down downs, but I don't think they're going to have him again like just do everything that where Downs could be any he could play. He was playing like four different positions from you know, in one series, and they're not going to do that.
Speaker 3: I don't think, I.
Speaker 4: Mean, like you say, little maybe more just the nickel, or or maybe if they want him to be a little bit of a box safety depending on what kind of a look they're seeing. Whereas you know they could just do you never knew where what exactly what downs, what position downs was playing, no matter what the personnel was out there. He might actually be the middle linebacker. Sometimes you know they're not going to do that anymore. And I think Terry Moore from what I think he is a little bit more of a deep safety as well. And mcleans I think he can play both of those deep box safety, both of those deep seaefty positions which are a little bit interchangeable, and that you need to be able to do everything with both of them. But you know, maybe some skills are more are better for the boundary and some are better for the fields position, and so they kind of put you there to be more where is the ball more likely to find you when you're in your strength and what you're doing your.
Speaker 1: Best well, and mentioned Devin Sanchez earlier in the fact that he played right away Game one he was playing as a true freshman. I'm not expecting that out of Blaine Bradford this year. They're in a spot where it's a little bit of a luxury. You've got the three guys we just talked about in terms of the three safety spots. It feels like they feel pretty good about that. You're not being asked to throw someone like Blaine Bradford and or Leroy Roker or any of the other guys that are back there. But it sounds like Blaine Bradford might be closer to playing at least some than you might think for a true freshman in a pretty loaded room.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so he was asked specifically about Bradford, so he didn't like volunteer but and he said, yeah, you know, he's got the right approach to things in terms of how he handles his business.
Speaker 3: Obviously, he's a big guy. So he passes the look test to get off.
Speaker 4: He'd be on the people that even at Ohio State, he might be on the like get off the bus early crew eventually. And so, yeah, that's a guy that he likes what he's seen from them. He also, and I'm not sure if I had mentioned this to you, He talked a lot about how much Roker he really feels good about him and kind of pointed out that he had gotten a lot of playing time there towards the end of the season because of injuries, but that shows you that the coaching staff has a lot of confidence in him. This came up two or three times during McLain's interview, so he was he's definitely feels good about you know, Roker could kind of be the McLain of this season, almost depending how everything else shakes out. And I think, you know, we talked about this every year, but you know, I think if there's a lot of different packages that they could play, you know, maybe there's one that would involve Roker, or even even Blaine for that matter, and being him being you know, it's just a big guy. Maybe there's some some package where they if he wants to be a box safety or something like that, or or you know, that dime they kind of have, they kind of do different things with that. I mean, what if they have a dime that's that's really five safety or that's four safeties, and they have another one that's three different In a lot of times, the dime is that truly three corners, which is what you're talking about. With Sanchez being in there, they could have any number of attacks like that. Again, especially sometimes maybe they had that last year, but the package was the same guy as just Caleb Towns was playing a different position.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Caleb Down, Caleb Downs does everything. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Roker is interesting because it's a name that he was not like the flashiest recruit, but he was someone where we keep seeing these like little drip grips of indications that he's maybe gonna play a role this fall. Where you know, first day of Spring Bowl, who was the person standing up and talking to the team. It was Leroy Roker. They put out the Dudes of the week for this week and Leroy Roker was one of the dudes of the week in that picture.
Speaker 2: So he keeps seeing these like little drip group grips of information that he's maybe going to be playing a bigger role.
Speaker 4: Well, and with more and little we're both a little bit in and out with injuries, Roker was the guy who's I mean, he's the next guy off the bench for sure. Even if even if those are your top three safeties, you know, he's he's definitely there. So then how much of a role do they do. They still try to find for him if everybody's healthy all season, which never really happens. So there's no doubt that they like a lot of what they've seen from him.
Speaker 1: And then last thing we talked kind of going all the way around the secondary for the most part, let's go to the other side of the ball, because it's always interesting. I would like to ask guys on one side of the ball, ab the guys are going up against on the other side of the ball. So he was asked about the wide receivers, you know what you got with Jeremiah Smith, the other wide receivers, especially the new wide receivers. What has he seen out of like a Kyle Mcar, Kyle Parker, Devin Mchew and those guys.
Speaker 4: He said, he's definitely seen, you know, a certain quickness and explosiveness out of them, which you know that the knock on Ohio State receivers has been the yards after the catch. So that was the thing that he mentioned with those guys, and I asked him if you know he has if he can tell from his perspective that they're working on yards after the catch everybody, and he said yes.
Speaker 3: For sure, even Jeremiah.
Speaker 4: Smith, you know, we're working a little bit more on being dangerous with the ball in his hands. And so that was and he also said that he feels like, you know, he has seen Julian sane practice against saying has been a little different in the spring. He's got a little bit more of a of a grasp on what's happening and more command of everything from that standpoint.
Speaker 2: So there you go.
Speaker 1: So a quick run through what we heard from Jalen mclaim, what we learned from Jalen McLain at Big ten Media Days. As I mentioned, we will have more from the Jeremi Smith interview, the Julian Sayin interview. We already did a Ryan a interview show that's in the Buckeye Weekly podcast fee you can find that on our YouTube channel YouTube.
Speaker 2: Dot com slash at Buckeye Insiders.
Speaker 1: But if you want all this in one convenient spot, plus all sorts of additional commentary and additional notes you wanted in a written form, well we've got a thread on our board, the Insider's board at Buckeye Insiders dot com that is exclusive to our members. We have had a really really fun and active and very spirited conversation.
Speaker 2: On there this week with our members.
Speaker 1: Lots of interesting stuff about the Buckeyes, about other teams. Guess what, Thursday Its Michigan Day here, so we'll have plenty to talk about, I'm sure on Thursday there with our members as well. So this would be a great time for you to sign up at Buckeye Insiders dot com. This would also be a great time for you to go to Jeffruby's Columbus because it is the award winning upscale steakhouse in downtown Columbus, named one of the top fifty steakhouses in America by Food Network. You can go to jeffruby dot com slash Columbus to check out the menu and make a reservation today. That will do it for today. Thank you guys all for joining us on a great day.
Speaker 2: We'll talk to you tomorrow.