Speaker 1: Welcome to ouch. Was that a Ghost? This podcast may contain graphic material which some listeners may find disturbing. Listener discretion is advised, is advice?
Speaker 2: Yum me.
Speaker 1: Now that we covered that, here's your host list.
Speaker 2: Welcome back out that ghost this week, back again, twist of her twisted tales.
Speaker 3: How's it going?
Speaker 2: But not too chabby? Not too chabby? And it's almost April Fool's Day? Do you have any good plans for April Fools working?
Speaker 3: Probably?
Speaker 2: No pranks planned.
Speaker 3: No, I'll be too old by that. I'll be forty one.
Speaker 2: That doesn't matter. That's the fun of April Fools. You could be ninety. If I'm ninety, I'm still playing pranks. Are you kidding me? That's better? You're unsuspecting.
Speaker 4: It's like, gosh, he's ninety six. Now she'll calm down, now she won't.
Speaker 2: No, I'm gonna be haunted people playing pranks. Well pass This plain of existence.
Speaker 3: Is Lizzie Bordon. It's just list.
Speaker 2: Oh, Lizzie's my idol. So today we're gonna be talking about historical April Fool's Day pranks.
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: So you had a theme? All right, this is good. I like your style.
Speaker 2: April Fools is the day when you can't trust anyone, especially pregnancy announcements are any big news at all. A day of trying to play harmless pranks on family or friends, well hopefully harmless.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I said I was pregnant last year. Nobody believed me.
Speaker 2: Really, maybe you didn't sell it.
Speaker 3: I mean I could have a little bit harder, I guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, although no one is one hundred percent sure when April Fools pranks started, some say it was in the Canterbury Tales back in thirteen ninety two, that it's referenced, but some dispute and say that they're talking about it but not being on April first. Okay, it's more commonly thought to have originated in the sixteenth century.
Speaker 3: We'll go with that.
Speaker 2: In fifteen oh eight, there was a French poet, I am so good at French names, so don't question how this pronunciation comes out of my mouth. Soccerate elloy de, I'm.
Speaker 4: A well perfect That's not what he was called.
Speaker 2: In his poem he talked about April fish. April fish it's a tradition of putting fish on others backs that were gullible, and this was a clear instance of April Fool's trickery. But how funny would that be, just running around taping fish to other people's backs.
Speaker 4: I was going to send you a video two days ago. There one guy was sleeping on his belly, so they taped chicken wings to his back like he had angel wings. But it was just two chicken wings, and everybody was laughing, but he was getting pissed off. He didn't know what the wings.
Speaker 2: It's not April chicken, it's April fish. They just sound ridiculous.
Speaker 3: That's awesome.
Speaker 2: They also cite a fifteen and sixty one Flemish poem that tells of a man of nobility on April First sending one of his servants on Fool's errands. So he'd send like something to your house and it would have like a note like hey, you know, we're just messing with this guy, and they'll just keep sending him around as much as possible.
Speaker 3: Oh nice.
Speaker 2: Others have theorized its connection with the changing of the calendars from the Julian to the Gregorian calendar in fifteen eighty two. This was introduced, not the Gregor, the Gregorian. This was introduced by Pope Gregory the eighth, and this shift in the calendar shifted the New Year's Day from April first to January first, So people that didn't acknowledge or remember that change, Like if you were celebrating New Year's Day in April, you were ridiculed as April. Really yeah, and so you'd get a fish stuck on your back. You know, you don't want that to happen.
Speaker 3: Oh, what kind of fish?
Speaker 2: I'm not sure. It couldn't be too big, probably.
Speaker 3: Just whatever they caught.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's just a few theories. Other think Roman festivals, for example, Hilaria, we're in late March, you know, right before April. They had a lot of celebrations with mocking and costumes that would be used, or some say Hindu, Jewish, Persian traditions as the possibility of the origin. Some historians say that maybe it was the weather changing in the vernal equinox that fooled people.
Speaker 4: You don't want to think people see equinox.
Speaker 2: In sixteen eighty six, an English author John Aubrey referred to April first as Fool's holy day. There was also a mention of Scotland's hunting the Gawk, where you would try to send others on foolish errands. But I like that it kind of has a mystery. It adds to its charm. You know, you don't really know when it's started.
Speaker 5: No, I mean that's kind of cool, like it probably went a little bit before everybody's saying, you know what I mean, because people always play pranks looking like alloeen and shit, I got I gave to be it stuff.
Speaker 2: At some point, it made its way to the US in the eighteen hundreds, and now it's a normal thing for everyone to try to pull a prank on April First. You know, you trying to convince everyone you're pregnant.
Speaker 3: That's twins, and.
Speaker 2: Just about everyone has a story, you know, something that happened to them or that they did. We're going to talk about some notable April Fool's Day pranks today.
Speaker 3: Sounds good.
Speaker 2: Sorry, my cat, it looks like she's going to jump on my head. Okay. So one of the earliest recorded pranks for April Fool's Day was back in sixteen ninety eight in London and residents were invited invited. Why did I say it like that? Residents were invited to the Tower of London.
Speaker 3: Did they push them off, they did not April.
Speaker 2: They're in the moat. The residents could come and see this ceremony of the washing of the lions, which of course didn't exist. They didn't have all the lions in the moats washing them. After this, they just kept this tradition up. Like one year they'd be like, come here and go to the White Gate, and there's no white gate at the Tower of London. You know, they just mess with people, Okay. So in nineteen sixty one, the BBC advertised a concert that was by a distinguished continental pianist. Did you ask who was this distinguished continental pianist?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: Hey, so who is this continental pianist?
Speaker 2: It was lurp aloof?
Speaker 4: Is that? So?
Speaker 2: Everyone was pumped. They could not wait to hear this lurp aloof tickle in those ivory Jesus Christ. But then it was canceled. They freaking canceled lurt aloof.
Speaker 3: People were pissed.
Speaker 2: Lurp aloof aka April fools spelled backwards. Oh really, lurp aloof. So on April first, nineteen sixty two, Sweden's I can't believe this their only television channel. They had one TV channel one, so they announced to viewers that there was a hack that they could try at home. This one channel, which was broadcast and black and white, had an expert while the station's technical expert, Kjell Stenson. He came on and told viewers how they could watch the channel in color.
Speaker 3: That's no switching to color well from black and white.
Speaker 2: Even though it was broadcast in black and white, he was going to tell them how they could watch it in color. He used a lot of jargon about light spectrum interference, and he found sure that using a mesh screen would make the black and white appear in color by bending the image. And they at home could do this. All they had to do was take a nylon stocking, stretch it over the screen, and you just had to move your head back and forth while it and then you could see it in color.
Speaker 3: I bet you a lot of people did this.
Speaker 2: Thousands tried, and they found out they had been duped, and they were out a pair of nylon stockings to boot. See how he did boot.
Speaker 3: To boot to boot, that's pretty funny.
Speaker 2: In nineteen seventy four, April, first, obviously in Sitka, Alaska, residents saw Mount Edgecomb. This was a four hundred year old dormant volcano. It began to smoke, so residents just poured onto the streets. Police, military were called. Military helicopter was sent out to see what was going on, and as it approached the mountain they saw a big pile of burning tires in the volcano, and written in snow on the side of the volcano said April fool.
Speaker 3: Nothing like a good fire to bring people together.
Speaker 2: Well, they all thought the volcano was going to burst. I'd be freaking out, but.
Speaker 3: They just threw shit inside of it and made it burn. That's cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the pile of the tires, and this being the prank of a logger named Oliver. His nickname's Porky Bicker him and his crew, and the crew was called the Dirty Dozen. The thing with this prank is he did tell the FAA that he was going to do it and the police, but he forgot to tell the coastguard. But the Coastguard was a really good sport about it, and he thought it was hilarious. So I guess it all turned out okay.
Speaker 3: And it worked out in the end.
Speaker 2: No charges laid, No charges laid. In nineteen seventy six, on BBC radio, April first British astronomer, Patrick Moore, told listeners that the Jovian plutonium gravitational effect was going to happen that very day. This meant that Jupiter and Pluto were going to align temporarily that very day at nine forty seven am, and by this happening and aligning with Earth, it would create a gravitational pull that would affect the Earth's gravity.
Speaker 3: So messing was up on Earth.
Speaker 2: Most likely this meant anyone wanted to feel weightless, they could jump at exactly nine seven. So nine seven a m came and on the radio station, Patrick Moore instructed stella. Oh my gosh, not stella. I just jumped on my head. Hold on, I'm just gonna open the door for her. Oh she opened it herself. My cat can jump up and open the door. Now she's a psycho. Sorry, Now that she's gone, I can concentrate. So on the radio station, Patrick Moore instructed jump now, and then the phone lines at the BBC started lighting up. People wanted to share how they had all floated. One caller said, I was in a room with eleven friends and we all begin to orbit around the room. Wow, that's not funny to you.
Speaker 4: I think it's pretty crazy that people are actually jumping and thinking that they were floating.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I love how like the power of influence can just make you see or what you want to feel exactly. Helloa. In April Fools Day nineteen eighty the BBC announced that to keep up with the times, they were going to replace Big Ben's clock face with a digital rido, and the hands would be given away as a prize to the first listeners who contacted the show. But okay, which obviously was a prank, but people were losing their mind. They were like angry calls. They were pissed off, like you can't do that to Big Ben, Like, dude, it's a joke and s April Fools Stop. In nineteen eighty five, Sports Illustrated publish an article about this up and come and rookie pitcher Sid Finch. Sid was an orphan, a Harvard dropout, had ahvid yad and then he went on to a Tibetan monastery. There he studied and mastered yoga, and he had this supernatural mind and body control. He was also a gifted French horn player. He was he could throw a fastball at one hundred and sixty eight miles per hour without even warming up.
Speaker 4: Insane.
Speaker 2: He would pitch with one boot on and one bare foot, and he always had his French horn with him because he didn't know if he wanted to actually play baseball.
Speaker 4: Or not just practice in between innings on the front horn might get discovered by somebody in the bleachers.
Speaker 2: People were like all crazy about him. People try to recruit them. It's just funny. That's why you don't believe anything on April first. If you have a big announcement, you got to re announce it on April second. So back in nineteen ninety six, April first, Taco Bell took out a full page ad in like five or six newspapers. They declared they were going to help reduce the country's debt by purchasing the Liberty Bell and they were going to rename it the Taco Liberty Bell. And again, people not being able to take a joke, flooded the National Park Service and newspapers with angry calls, and by noon that day, Taco Bell did a press release saying like it was just a joke, chill out. People were all upset even after they found out it was a joke, like.
Speaker 3: Come on, well, it's a joke, now, is it.
Speaker 2: You can't joke about the Liberty Bell. But Taco Bell being a really good sport. They also donated dollar towards preservation, which was really nice.
Speaker 3: Probably felt they had to come.
Speaker 2: On, take a freaking joke, like that's harmless fun.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean.
Speaker 4: People are probably going to be spiteful about this, the Toco Liberty Bell, are you anyway?
Speaker 2: I'm like afraid of it. It's just such good trash food. But oh my gosh, ri supreb it destroys everything in me.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I know.
Speaker 4: My Boddy wants to Taco Bell the other day because his kid wanted it for his birthday.
Speaker 3: I was like, how was it? And he's like, dude, that shit instantly.
Speaker 2: It's like your body repels it after a certain age. It scares me to even go there.
Speaker 3: It's going to be some drive home made.
Speaker 2: If I make it. All right. So, in nineteen ninety eight, another fast food restaurant may be inspired by Taco Bell. Who knows. They announced a specially designed menu item. They designed it for the almost one point five million left handed Americans. I guess they didn't include sorry, Chris, so their design featured. Oh I didn't even say who it was. It's burg King. Their design featured the condiments being rotated one hundred and eighty degrees to finally cater to those left handed whopper lovers.
Speaker 3: That's amazing.
Speaker 2: Thousands flooded to try the new left handed whopper, and some of the right handed people came hoping to still be able to purchase a right handed whopper. You know, you don't want to get them mixed up.
Speaker 3: No, you don't.
Speaker 2: They never really thought I could just turn the burger around and that's the same thing. No, yeah, yeah, that's so hilarious. There's a bunch of other notable ones, like when Elon Muss tried to file for bankruptcy as like an April Fools thing for Tesla but at backfire and messing with stock prices. There's tons of video game ones like Neopets, Fortnite, the Grenades. I don't know what other video game ones do you know?
Speaker 4: Uh, not too really, Actually, well.
Speaker 2: They do a bunch on video games.
Speaker 4: Oh I wasn't too keen on the video game to do it April Fools.
Speaker 2: Well that they usually put it right back the next day. It's just to be funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, quick little thing or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's fun.
Speaker 3: Is always fun.
Speaker 2: And the BBC also did one about flying penguins. Everyone knows Rick rolled you know what I mean. How YouTube used to put Rick Astley's song never Gonna what is it? Never Gonna give You Up?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And that was one in nineteen eighty nine where Rick could Richard Branson faked a UFO landing by London using a hot air balloon that was shaped like a saucer and same thing. People lost their mind.
Speaker 3: Such some good stuff.
Speaker 2: This is my favorite, this is the last one. On April first, nineteen fifty seven, the BBC ran a three minute segment featuring a family in Tinsino, Switzerland. This Swiss family was shown on video harvesting their crops, their crops being spaghetti which grew on trees, so obviously it had to be harvested.
Speaker 4: I remember this one, yeah, oh you do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So they went into the Swiss spaghetti harvest and thankfully the spaghetti weavil had disappeared by then, and viewers flooded the BBC with calls and how they could get seeds to grow their own spaghetti tree, and the BBC shared how they could just place a sprig of spaghetti in a tomato sauce and hope for the best.
Speaker 3: That was it.
Speaker 2: How else are you going to grow spaghetti? You just sound crazy right now.
Speaker 3: No, you're right. I'm totally sorry.
Speaker 2: They're so fun, but I just hate when people aren't good sports about it, Like you know what I mean, it's a joke, take a joke.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean there must have been some good sports about it, you know, but like people snap or everything. Even these days, like it's way worse than it used to be.
Speaker 3: It's terrible. You can't even joke.
Speaker 2: If you fall for spaghetti's growing on trees because I get they didn't have like the Internet back then, and that was new to that area, like spaghetti was a new thing, making it it's over to London, Britain, the UK, whatever. Come on, take a fricking joke.
Speaker 3: That's too bad that they wouldn't just take a joke.
Speaker 4: Cost all that extra grief for people to even come out and have like press conferences and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Good grief. Charlie Brown, Ah.
Speaker 3: Good greed. Oh well, I enjoyed these stories.
Speaker 2: April Fool still rocks. I mean, it's a day where it's socially acceptable to be playful and childish, breaking the monotony of the nine to five or whatever work hours you do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he said April stools.
Speaker 2: April did I. I was trying to say fool still and it didn't work, So I guess it's April stools, April fish stools, April Taco Bell fish stools. I'm just going to keep adding unless you stop me. Oh no, great, Stella, I thought you left me.
Speaker 4: She's back.
Speaker 3: She's like the creature you want to the podcast swear.
Speaker 2: She's a cryptid.
Speaker 3: She's your co host.
Speaker 2: Now she tries to sit on the computer right on the keyboard.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, no, you gotta do something like that. Oh also, you're gonna get punt casts.
Speaker 2: Done bullied by my cat the same right.
Speaker 3: Well, Aple fools, everybody? Ouch? Was that a stella?
Speaker 2: That's all I got. You don't have any good ideas for April fools pranks.
Speaker 3: I never have any good ideas for anything.
Speaker 2: They have these really cute ones you can do, like but the sandwiches you can make like you can like angel food cake, and they slice it and then they take frosting and put like you know, make it look like cheese like yellow and orange, whatever you have to do to get to the right color. And then they like grill the outside of the breadge so it looks like a grilled cheese, but it's actually an angel food cake with frosting.
Speaker 4: You know that sounds pretty good.
Speaker 2: They just have like fun little things like that, so when you bite into it, it's nothing like what you expect.
Speaker 4: Just fooling everybody with the big cakes and stuff.
Speaker 2: I was so mad when my youngest son before was into pranks and all that, and I always have I know it's not good for the environment. I've gotten better at bottled water, but I used to always have my fridge stock with bottled water. And he had this idea to take vinegar and shoot it in some of the water bottle and I was so mad because I would just throw them all away because I'm like, I'm not gonna take the chance that I'm drinking vinegar like that was not funny.
Speaker 3: That's pretty fun.
Speaker 2: At the time, I was like, oh, I just want water and I don't want to have vinegar.
Speaker 3: That's amazing.
Speaker 2: And then my two boys have done the one where they put the bowl they put water in it and stick it on the ceiling and you know, stick a broom under it and have his brother hold it so then he's stuck. And if he moves, you know, the water's coming pouring down. Or he can just stand there all day holding it against the ceiling.
Speaker 4: That's even.
Speaker 3: That's pretty fun too.
Speaker 2: Oh the so yeah, I got this the saran wrap on the toilet, which is like terrible because then I'm the one that cleans up these jokes.
Speaker 3: It still pretty funny.
Speaker 2: No, as is so fun. I didn't know if you had any good stories, but if you don't, then forget you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, unforgettable.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, thank you so much, chrispher coming on, and if you do think of any good pranks, let me know. And if anyone has had a good prank done to them, or you have done a good prank yourself, let me know in the comments below. I love to hear them, you would, yes, And good luck with everybody's spaghetti rowing.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah no, I got got my spaghetti cheese planning.
Speaker 2: Now just watch out for them darn spaghetti weavils. Oh they're coming all right. Well, thank you everybody so much for listening, and I guess happy early April Fool's day, Take care of everybody.
Speaker 1: Bye, Thank you for listening. If you need more content or just want to help support the podcast, head on over to patreon dot com and search ouch. Was that a ghost? If you need some snazzy merch, you can find it at crowdmaid dot com by searching ouch. Was that a ghost? If you have a store you'd like to share, you can email it to ouch. Was that a ghost? At Yahoo dot com? You can also find us on Facebook and all the other social media platforms under ouch? Was that a ghost? All links can also be found on ouch. Was that a ghost? Dot com?